PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Bulldog Ever!

Dark Knight
08-15-2008, 10:06 PM
So whos your pick?

Is Danny Florencio a Buldog?

amdgc82
08-15-2008, 10:19 PM
So whos your pick?

Danilo "Danny" Z. Florencio is from UST.

a_ron
08-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Danny Ildefonso

Dark Knight
08-16-2008, 08:42 AM
So whos your pick?

Danilo "Danny" Z. Florencio is from UST.

I see. It must be Adriano Papa right?

The_Big_Cat
08-16-2008, 08:48 AM
The "Alaminos Assasin" Lordy Tugade.

amdgc82
08-16-2008, 09:07 AM
Either one of them. These two played for the NU Bulldogs in college and they played in the Summer Olympic basketball in two occasions.

Narciso C. Bernardo
1960 Rome Olympics – Ave - 16.4 pts
1972 Munich Olympics – Ave - 6.2 pts

Adriano "Jun" R. Papa, Jr.
1968 Mexico Olympics – Ave - 15 pts
1972 Munich Olympics – Ave - 9.2 pts

Dark Knight
08-16-2008, 01:09 PM
Question

I watched before this NU player in the late 90's. He is a point guard i think. The only thing that i remember of him is that he wears different shoe. I mean, the shoe on his right foot is different from his left.

Anyone knew him?

christian
08-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Hindi ba si Ulysses Tanigue (SSC-R) yan?

Sam Miguel
08-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Question

I watched before this NU player in the late 90's. He is a point guard i think. The only thing that i remember of him is that he wears different shoe. I mean, the shoe on his right foot is different from his left.

Anyone knew him?

Maybe this is Jason Malcontento, I distinctly recall some off-season games where he wore different shoes, one for each foot. I cannot however recall if he pulled the same fashion stunt in the UAAP.

Sam Miguel
08-17-2008, 12:09 PM
In the so-called open era I would say that wold have to be DANNY ILDEFONSO, who won a couple of PBA championships with the San Miguel franchise and is one of only a half handful of two-time PBA MVP award winners.

mitsu.packer
08-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Question

Anyone knew him?

ala Damon Stoudamire-built with tatoos in the biceps? You're probably talking about chico....i forgot the surname ;D

mrard
08-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Question

Anyone knew him?

ala Damon Stoudamire-built with tatoos in the biceps? You're probably talking about chico....i forgot the surname ;D

chico manabat? hehe that's the only player from NU in the late 90's na alam kong chico ang name.

untamed
09-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Ildefonso and Tugade were good candidates.

For a change, How about Chris Bolado?, most of the team he played in the PBA end's up being a champion. He had more championship in the PBA, Than Tugade & Ildefonso combine. Hehehe!

The_Big_Cat
09-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Ildefonso and Tugade were good candidates.

For a change, How about Chris Bolado?, most of the team he played in the PBA end's up being a champion. He had more championship in the PBA, Than Tugade & Ildefonso combine. Hehehe!

Grand Slam champion pa nun 1996. Kaya nga tawag sa kanya sa PBA "Lucky Bolado".* :)

chinito_guy
09-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Ildefonso and Tugade, Hands down
but between the two: Danny Ildefonso is probably the Best bulldog that ever played the Game!

bossman
09-02-2008, 10:36 PM
Jun Papa-He led NU to its only title!

myktristan
09-03-2008, 04:17 PM
napahanga ako dati kay Jeff Napa when he scored 43 points..pero sabi nila maganda daw gising nya nun kaya buenas..

anyways, i'm definitely picking Danny Ildefonso and Lordy Tugade for that matter..hands down.. ;D

gb
09-26-2008, 12:41 AM
My baby boomer relatives say Narciso Bernardo hands down.

He was the only scorer that could really give the great Ed Ocampo (of Ateneo), arguably the greatest defensive guard in Philippine basketball history, fits on defense, because of his shifty moves and numerous fakes while gunning for a mid- range shot.

Not even the legendary Shin Dong Pa, a dead eye shooter from S. Korea (picture Oscar Schmidt or Reggie Miller) could escape Ocampo's sticky defense.

Based on what I've personally seen from NU, I'd go for Ildefonso, if only because he dominated both UAAP and PBA in his tenure. Sadly, a UAAP crown eluded him.

dioning
10-02-2008, 04:57 PM
former makati mayor nemesio yabut
member of the 1946 nu bulldogs
placed 3rd in the '46 uaap season

pachador
10-21-2008, 01:07 PM
did mayor yabut still play in the 1949 season? My dad played for NU bulldogs from 1946 till 1950 and i have a photo with all his teammates and in the back of the photo are the teammates names, and one of the names is Yabut !!!
do you have any pics of the NU bulldogs in the 1940s? thanks

former makati mayor nemesio yabut
member of the 1946 nu bulldogs
placed 3rd in the '46 uaap season

dioning
10-21-2008, 10:56 PM
am not sure but it might be him
have no pics
i only got the info dati from my late dad

btw the hubby of ust's mrs francisco also played for NU during the late 40's
i think he was also an olympian
nandun din ba siya sa pic
he might be your dad's team mate in NU
yung anak nila ni mrs francisco played for ust in the 90's and in the pba too

pachador
10-22-2008, 04:10 AM
You mean tatay mo si Mayor Yabut ?
Anyway, the pic I have says "1949 NU blue and gold bulldogs", and the teammates handwritten on the back of the pic were:
Sunga, Escober, Romero, Yabot, Magsino, Nerit, Faustino, Calinog, Messina, De Villa, Bautista, Sambrano, Geron, Villamor, Barrios.

baka naman kaya si Francisco nag-laro sa 1946, 1947 ?

have no pics

amdgc82
10-22-2008, 05:26 AM
have no pics

Ben Francisco - member of 1954 UAAP Champion team NU Bulldogs

pachador
10-22-2008, 06:42 AM
i thought the champion bulldog UAAP champion was in 1951 ??? or is it really 1954 ?

have no pics

Ben Francisco - member of 1954 UAAP Champion team NU Bulldogs

amdgc82
10-22-2008, 07:25 AM
i thought the champion bulldog UAAP champion was in 1951 ??? or is it really 1954 ?

NU's lone title in UAAP was in 1954. They were coached by Leonardo "Skip" Guinto. UST were the champion in 1951.

pachador
10-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks !!! by the way, did caloy loyzaga play for NU Buldogs in high school ?? and was his coach a Joker Faustino ??* *I read this Daily inquirer article published july 2006 , that Caloy played for a team called "Bulldogs" coached by Joker Faustino. I was wondering about this because my dad's nickname is "Joker" . In fact on this tombstone it says Antonio "Joker" Faustino. Is there any way you can verify this ??* My* dad died when I was only 5 years old and my mom knew little about his basketball side. Maraming salamat talaga for your time !!!

NU's lone title in UAAP was in 1954. They were coached by Leonardo "Skip" Guinto. UST were the champion in 1951.

dioning
10-22-2008, 07:46 PM
mayor namin si yabut sa makati noong panahon ni apo ferdie
and nope, he is not my father
my father was a journalist & avid sports fan
marami lang siya mga kuwento nung panahon niya
lalo na kung tungkol sa baseball & basketball

si ben francisco nga yung hubby ni mrs felicitas francisco
ano nga pala name nung anak nila

atsaka korek, caloy loyzaga played highschool basketball sa NU

dioning
10-22-2008, 07:52 PM
ayun, naalala ko na
gerard francisco ang pangalan ng anak ni felicitas & ben francisco
he now the assistant coach of kenneth duremdes sa coca cola

amdgc82
12-24-2008, 11:28 AM
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/140908/Olympian-ex-MICAA-cager-Bernardo-dies

Olympian, ex-MICAA cager Bernardo dies
12/23/2008 | 10:29 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Basketball Olympian Narciso “Ciso" Bernardo passed away Tuesday, his family told GMANews.TV Tuesday night. He was 71.

According to his son Noel, his father died at noon Tuesday in hospital due to cardiac arrest.

Noel, a councilor of Mandaluyong City, said Bernardo has been bed-ridden since 2002 when the cager had a stroke.

Bernardo, also a former councilor of the city, would be buried on Saturday.

Bernardo, before his death, received several honors for being one of the top scorers during the Manila Industrial Commercial Athletic Association (MICAA) basketball tournament.

He was a member of the basketball team in the 1960 Rome Olympics and the 1972 Munich Games. He was also the last coach to help the Crispa Redmanizers win a championship in 1984.

In January 1998, Bernardo was among the Philippine Basketball Association’s All-Time Mythical Five of Philippine Basketball for his exploits in the 1960s.- GMANews.TV

amdgc82
12-29-2008, 05:39 PM
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/141051/Gentleman-on-the-court-Legendary-cager-Bernardo-leaves-rich-legacy
Gentleman on the court: Legendary cager Bernardo leaves rich legacy
12/24/2008 | 08:36 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Noel Bernardo may have been too young to witness his father's greatness.

But Narciso Bernardo left his son, his family and his followers enough memories both on and off the hard court to remember him for years to come.

"He embodied the ideals of a basketball player, of an athlete," Bernardo described his father.

"One of his teammates used to say to me that they called my dad, 'the gentleman on the court'. He was one of the best players during his time but he also played with dignity. When he was on the court, he gave it his best."

Bernardo was only 10 years old when his father retired from basketball in 1973, so he admitted he wasn't old enough to grasp his dad's athletic accomplishments.

By the time the elder Bernardo hung his sneakers, he had filled his resume with a scroll-like list of international participation. He was a two-time Olympian (1960 and 1972), and a member of the National teams that played in the Fiba-Asia championship (then known as the Asian Basketball Confederation) and the Asian Games.

But Bernardo did recall a few instances that gave him a hint of his father's celebrity status as a player.

"There was a time when we went to this restaurant, this was in the 1960s. We couldn't find a table because the place was full. Somebody recognized my dad and he was like, 'You're Narciso Bernardo, right?' And my father nodded and the man just offered us his table. My father refused, of course, but I was thinking to myself, 'My dad must be somebody.'"

Most of Bernardo's basketball image of his dad was formed through second-hand information.

The elder Bernardo was known primarily as an offensive player who was one of the most prolific free-throw shooters of his time.

"There was only one job he was told to do when he was on the court: to score," the son said. "When he was shooting free throws it wasn't whether he missed or made them, his contemporaries told me; it was whether it went through all net or not."

Bernardo has also heard the story about how his father was one of the early highly paid Filipino athletes.

"They used to tell me that if my father played today, he'd probably be one of the richest," Bernardo said. "The players during that time would say that my dad was the first player to earn more than P1,000 in basketball."

Ciso, short for Narciso, was still visible in the basketball scene even after he retired. He coached a handful of professional teams, his last with the legendary Crispa Redmanizers dynasty which he guided to their last championship (the 1984 All-Filipino tournament) in the Philippine Basketball Association before the franchise folded up.

He served key administrative positions in the PBA and the then-fledgling Philippine Amateur Basketball League in the 1980's. He also served once as commissioner of the basketball tournament of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines.

Honoring his exploits, the PBA named Bernardo in the all-decade team, representing the 1960's. He was also inducted into the Philippine Basketball Hall of Fame.

In early 2002 while jogging, he suffered a heart attack and had been bed-ridden since. He died Tuesday at age 71.

Nobody among the next generation Bernardos has come close to matching the late patriarch's achievements on the court. And the elder Bernardo didn't impose on the younger generation.

"To my dad, it was just whatever you wanted to do with your life, it was your decision," the younger Bernardo said. "He gave us that freedom."

Bernardo, currently a District Two councilor in Mandaluyong City, did follow in his father's footsteps in a different arena - in public service.

The elder Bernardo was Mandaluyong councilor from 1988-2002.

"It's about teaching kids out there the value of being good citizens in sports and various activities. That's what we've been trying to accomplish being in our position as public servant."

When asked how he felt being in the shadow of a legendary father, Bernardo said he didn't mind.

"There was a time when Fidel Ramos was still the President and he passed by our area and he saw my dad. The President ordered the entourage to stop and he asked one of his security to go up to my dad and call him to his side. The President was just excited and he told the people around him, 'This is Narciso Bernardo. I'm a fan of his'. Same thing happened when President Joseph Estrada saw him. He came up to my dad and he told everyone there. 'This man is my idol.'

"I had a father who was adored by people. What more could one ask?" - GMANews.TV

bchoter
01-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Kuwento daw ng dad ni Dondi Roque, who was a teammate of Bernardo in the Olympics, what makes Bernardo even more effective is his ability to shoot off the wrong foot. Jives with what Joe Lipa was (or still is) proposing, tha Filipinos should learn to shoot off the wrong foot to throw off our taller opponents.

lastball
01-07-2009, 03:09 PM
bernardo was nicknamed "the non-pareil" by then sportscaster willie hernandez. he was a member of the ysmael steel admirals which became champion for 6 consecutive years in the national open which was a very popular tournament in the 60s. he was one of the top scorers in the team which was made up of star players or national players like jun papa, jimmy mariano, big boy reynoso, manny jocson, boy arazas, orly bauzon, boy marquez, jake rojas. they matched the record of the then mighty yco painters in the late 50s then led by the legendary caloy loyzaga.

pachador
01-12-2009, 05:10 AM
can anyone confirm for sure that Narciso bernardo was part of the 1954 NU champion team ??

pachador
01-12-2009, 05:12 AM
Hindi ba Jun Papa would have been too young to play in the 1954 NU champion team ??

Jun Papa-He led NU to its only title!

Emon74
05-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Cris Bolado once scored 31 points for NU bulldogs, this happened in 1988, NU upset UE, 90-89.

sampaloc kid
10-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Cris Bolado once scored 31 points for NU bulldogs, this happened in 1988, NU upset UE, 90-89.

Bobby Ray Parks ang Big King Bulldog.

bluegreen
11-21-2010, 05:10 PM

Eligible na ba for next year sa UAAP?

freak
11-22-2010, 05:11 PM

not anymore. :D

a_ron
05-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Greatest Bulldog ever for me is no other than Mr. Isolation Mark Abadia!

kerouac82
05-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Greatest Bulldog ever for me is no other than Mr. Isolation Mark Abadia!

Abadia NEVER played for NU. Sa Adamson po siya.

oca
07-06-2011, 08:00 AM
The Making of the Greatest Bulldog Ever begins!

The stats and the numbers will mark every game and season for the next 5 years, but what would matter is-- the only thing that matter, bring the UAAP championship trophy to Sampaloc.

nash_bedista
07-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Jeff Napa ... ;)

LaKazTaMa
07-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Danny I and Lordy Tugade

Joescoundrel
09-13-2011, 08:13 AM
Congratulations to Rey Parks (MVP) of NU and Kiefer Ravena (ROY) of the Ateneo. Philippine basketball is in good hands for the next 10 years with these two.

Although it is not yet official, Ravena and Parks will likely be joined by Ateneans Greg Slaughter and Nico Salva, and Adamson's Alex Nuyles, since they made up the Top 5 in the statistical race.

bchoter
09-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Ball hog ways and stat-padding aside, Parks is definitely the best player this season. But one can't put the blame solely on PArks for his ball-hog ways as his teammates deferred to him ALL the time while the coaching staff merely looked on. Maybe the situation could have been a bit different if Norman Penola stayed as, I'm sure, Parks would have respected his talent and skills.

naz-T
09-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Ball hog ways and stat-padding aside, Parks is definitely the best player this season. But one can't put the blame solely on PArks for his ball-hog ways as his teammates deferred to him ALL the time while the coaching staff merely looked on. Maybe the situation could have been a bit different if Norman Penola stayed as, I'm sure, Parks would have respected his talent and skills.

baka meron dyan kailangan humarap muna sa salamin bago sabihin na ball hog at stat-padding si Parks. Let's hope Jeric Teng makes the top 5 individual. Hindi nga nasasabihan ng coaching staff kahit na mag error ng mag error. hindi pa bumababa sa depensa tapos mag error dahil naghahanap ng foul sa referee.

mabuti pa yung parks kahit na sabihin na ball hog nakakakita ng libreng kakampi. kesa naman yung iba hindi papasa kung hindi pa magipit.

nakalimutan ata nila na mas maganda nilaro ng team nila nung na injured ng maaga si jeric teng kasi mas maganda pasahan against UP nung 1st round. sa dami naman ng bato ni jeric may papasok talaga yan. tinawag pang big shot. kung ganon naman ang binibigay na kumpiyansa ng coach, talagang makaka chamba rin kahit sinong player pa.

takot lang lang ng UST na mapunta ang lil bro ni jeric sa NU. kaya mukhang binabata talaga si jeric para sumama sa kanya si jeron. for sure hindi kaya ibigay ng UST kay jeron ang kaya ibigay ng NU in terms of financial rewards, kaya sa ibang paraan nila nililigawan si jeron.

Sam Miguel
09-14-2011, 09:54 AM
^^^ Jeric Teng is off-topic in this thread. You can discuss him in the UAAP Forum or the UST Forum.

a_ron
11-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Jeff Napa ... ;)

He is a great shooter. Saw him play in USC gym here in cebu when he re inforce the USC-Sparkle team for the CBA.Ang galing na shooter.

maroonmartian
11-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Naabutan ko pa ata yung UAAP record niya na. 11 three points made for a total of 41 points? But the problem is he is the only person who does the work for the team. Kulang ng materyales.

That was the old run and gun NU team. Tira ng tira sa tres. Mapapatawad ko pa si Coach Pido and his players for taking so many threes.

nash_bedista
11-02-2011, 11:58 AM
alam ko katandem nya sa scoring si Cayabyab that time

Joescoundrel
12-26-2011, 07:16 AM
From Inquirer Sports - - -

Calvin Abueva headlines college basketball awardees

Calvin Abueva, San Sebastian’s do-it-all forward, headlines the Mythical Five when the UAAP-NCAA Press Corps and Smart hold the annual Collegiate Basketball Awards on Jan. 21 at the Gateway Suites in Cubao.

Abueva, the reigning Most Valuable Player of the NCAA, will share the spotlight with four varsity stars who were part of the national team that struck gold in the Southeast Asian games.

The dynamic Ateneo duo of Kiefer Ravena and Greg Slaughter, UAAP MVP Bobby Ray Parks Jr. of National U and San Beda’s Garvo Lanete complete the Mythical five.

Known for his immense work rate, the 6-foot-3 Abueva regularly posted double-double averages in points and rebounds as the Stags reached the finals for the third straight year.

One of the most sought-after players coming out of Ateneo high school, Ravena lived up to the hype as he made an instant impact in helping Ateneo bag its fourth straight UAAP crown.

Ravena’s clutch shooting and hustle keyed Ateneo’s surge.

Slaughter, the 7-foot Fil-Am who dominated the Cebu collegiate scene before transferring to Ateneo, was also instrumental in the Eagles’ romp. An inside operator with a smooth shooting tough, Slaughter was also a force on defense for the Eagles, who downed Far Eastern U in the finals.

The Mythical Five is one of the major awards presented by the group of scribes from various broadsheets, tabloids and online publications covering the varsity beat.

Lanete turned out to be a clutch performer for the Lions, who claimed back-to-back NCAA crowns and a record-tying 16th overall basketball championship.

Parks, the son of seven-time PBA Best Import Bobby Parks, Sr., carried the fight for the rebuilding Bulldogs with his superior all-around game.

Sam Miguel
05-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Reyrey Parks will win his second consecutive MVP award. You can quote me on that right now. Only a season-ending injury (knock on wood) will stop Parks from becoming the league's first back-to-back MVP winner as a sophomore.

Unlike last season though, I can also guarantee that he will lead the Bulldogs into the Final 4 this time. Parks and Emmanuel Mbe are both a year older and better, and while the rest of the roster tends to be on and off, I think this duo is so good now that they can finally bring the Bulldogs into the playoffs. What happens after that however is where it gets iffy.

A Final 4 match-up against the Ateneo will end their season. Period. There is just no way to beat the reigning UAAP champions in the playoffs, especially not with Coach Norman Black looking to leave in a blaze of 5-Peat glory. But if NU plays anybody else, even if the other guy has a twice-beat advantage, then it becomes 50-50, especially if that team does not have a big man who can at least limit if not neutralize Mbe. Adamson will have to put Rodney Brondial and Eric Camson on Mbe to get that done, leaving that lane open for Parks to frolic all he wants. FEU has the bruising Bringas brothers who will have to goad Mbe into losing it, not that easy. Lasalle has Norbert Torres and Arnold Van Opstal who have the size and strength to match-up against Mbe, but not the sheer athletic ability and speed.

Parks remains the key to NU. His overall briliance draws so much attention that the likes of Mark Deguzman and Cedric Labing-isa have more than enough time to put up their long shots, while Choy Ignacio, Dennis Villamor, Glen Khobuntin and Philip Javillonar will get many opportunities to score on the cutting and cross-screening game.

bigf9779
05-17-2012, 12:41 PM
two thumbs up sir for a very nice comment about the bulldogs...hoping we end up a better place this coming UAAP season, with the way things are going at the Fil-oil hanes cup 2012, we can say their on the right track....deguzman will be a big help for the team, the maturity of Mbe and Parks was significant...we have seen a more balance scoring compare to last year...We are praying the same thing will happen this upcoming UAAP season....Sulong National-U! Bulldogs Bites!

Sam Miguel
05-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Reyrey Parks has started trusting his teammates, conspiring with Emmanuel Mbe in the last minute and a half to lift NU over a stubborn Adamson side over the weekend in the Fil Oil 69-67. Mbe scored the last eight points of NU, six on nifty assists on the high-low game from Parks to prevent an upset by Adamson. Adamson was down as many as 16 points in this game, but suddenly came alive in the last mintue and a half. Roider Cabrera completed a rare four-point play that made it 63-all off an Mbe foul. Eric Camson and Alex Nuyles then got into a shot answering cotnest with Mbe. Mbe however had the last laugh as he hauled in an offensive rebound then jump-hooked the winning basket with only 1.4 seconds left. Mbe led all scorers with 26 points to go with his 13 rebounds.

Sam Miguel
05-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Drawing inspiration from late dad, Parks to pursue NBA dream after UAAP campaign

By Snow Badua

May 01, 2013, 05:35 pm

THE death of his father has motivated amateur star Bobby Ray Parks Jr. to pursue his NBA dream more than ever.

Saying it is what his dad and namesake had wanted for him, the National University standout said he will go to the US to try his luck in the world's premier basketball league after the next UAAP campaign.

“It has always been my dream to play in the NBA,” said Parks, whose father, legendary PBA import Bobby Parks Sr., died of cancer last March 30. “It is my dad’s dream for me … so that is what I am trying to fulfill right now.

“My dad’s death made me more hungry for it (NBA career), like I really want it bad. Before I only wanted it. Now it just filled me up more.”

The athletic 6-foot-4 guard-forward revealed that unlike Japeth Aguilar, he doesn’t intend to go through the NBA Developmental League route in his bid to crash the NBA ranks.

Instead, Parks said he plans to try out with some NBA teams with the help of his dad’s agent friends.

“(Dad) has lots of connections, he has introduced me to a lot of people. I think by the time he was gone, he really readied me. He knows I can handle it from there,” said the two-time UAAP MVP.

Parks disclosed he intends to put his name in the NBA lottery this summer and “see where it goes from there and hopefully join the (NBA) draft.”

“You can put your name in the draft twice. First time you put your name there, they (NBA) can take it out. But the second time, they gotta keep it there,” explained Parks.

Asked if he has ditched his plan to play in the PBA after his father's death, the young Parks was straightforward with his response: “The PBA? It will always be there (in my heart). We’ll see where it goes from here.

“But if I get a chance to play in the NBA, I am definitely taking that chance.”

In the meantime, Parks said his complete focus is on trying to lead the Bulldogs to this year’s UAAP championship.

“I am just focusing first on NU. Try to win this UAAP and see where it goes from there,” said Parks, while admitting his game went on a decline a bit since his dad passed away.

“I am still coping with all the things that happened about my dad, I feel that my game is not yet there. I’m on a slump,” he stressed.

“I’m doing all right, yes. But I know how I play, but it’s definitely different. The stats show otherwise. I know I still have more in me.”

Sam Miguel
05-03-2013, 09:26 AM
^^^ Ray, take Joe's advice in his column and for godsakes stay in NU and finish your degree.

The NBA Ray? Really?

abcdef
05-03-2013, 02:26 PM
Trying the NBA through connections. . . .will he even be drafted in the 2nd round?

Sam Miguel
05-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Bulldogs nose out Falcons; Knights up

By Jasmine W. Payo

Philippine Daily Inquirer

12:15 am | Tuesday, May 7th, 2013

RAY Parks knocked in the game-winning jumper with 3.2 seconds left to lift the National U Bulldogs past the gritty Adamson Falcons, 70-68, in overtime in the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup yesterday at Filoil Flying V Arena.

Hardly losing his focus over a month after his father’s death, Parks scored six of his team’s eight points in the extra period to finish with a game-high 28 points and lead the unbeaten Bulldogs to a sixth straight victory.

“He took it upon himself to carry us through,” said NU coach Eric Altamirano. “We were struggling offensively, but Ray just found a way to win.”

In the second game, Letran dropped a 17-0 bomb in the second half to down Emilio Aguinaldo College, 78-71, and improve to 3-1.

Raymond Almazan shot 16 points and added 12 boards, while Mark Cruz and Ford Ruaya fired 13 each to power the Knights.

Parks, who wore jersey No. 22 in memory of his father and seven-time PBA Best Import Bobby Parks, also had six rebounds, three assists and a couple of steals, but said he’s still far from his best shape.

“I feel I’m not yet there after all that happened,” said Parks, the two-time UAAP MVP. “But my teammates were encouraging me to take the last-second shot. They trusted me.”

The Falcons battled back from double-digit deficits with Cameroonian Alfred Aroga posting 20 points, 16 rebounds and five blocks.

Lloyd Abrigo’s two free throws with 19.4 seconds left in the fourth period forged overtime, 62-62.

The Falcons fell to 1-2, while the Generals remained winless in three outings.

The scores:

First Game

NU 70—Parks 28, Aroga 20, Villamor 6, Labing-isa 6, Alejandro 4, Rosario 3, De Guzman 2, Rońo 1, Javillonar 0, Neypes 0, Khobuntin 0.

ADAMSON 68—Cruz 16, Abrigo 12, Brondial 9, Sewa 8, Bernabe 8, Rios 6, Ińigo 3, Ochea 3, Cabigas 3, Monteclaro 0, Petilos 0, Trollano 0.
Quarters: 21-14, 33-27, 47-45, 62-62 (reg), 70-68 (OT)

Second Game

LETRAN 78—Almazan 16, Cruz 13, Ruaya 13, Nambatac 9, Pantin 6, Belorio 6, Publico 5, Dysam 5, Luib 2, Gabawan 2, Catipay 1, Castro 0, Buenaflor 0, Requero 0, Tambeling 0, Oluto 0.

EAC 71—Manga 18, Jamon 15, Munsayac 10, Tayontong 9, King 9, Arquero 5, Paguia 2, Castro 2, Mejos 1, Mallari 0, Monteclaro 0.
Quarters: 21-23, 38-40, 56-52, 78-71

Sam Miguel
06-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Lions, Bulldogs complete Final 4

By Jasmine W. Payo

11:46 pm | Wednesday, June 5th, 2013

San Beda rallied from 10 points in the last three minutes while National University also came from behind as the Lions and the Bulldogs completed yesterday the Final Four cast of the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup at Filoil Flying V Arena.

Baser Amer knocked in all his eight points in San Beda’s blistering 13-0 windup as the Lions slipped past the La Salle Green Archers, 66-63, while Alfred Aroga completed a three-point play with 24.5 seconds left to lift the Bulldogs past the Letran Knights, 69-67.

“Baser played badly in the first three quarters, but when we needed him, he stepped up,” coach Boyet Fernandez said after his Lions rallied from a 53-63 deficit in the last 3:50 minutes of play.

Aroga’s heroics preserved another superb all-around show by Ray Parks, who paced the Bulldogs with 16 points on top of three rebounds, four assists and a couple of blocks.

“I like the poise of the boys in the end,” said NU coach Eric Altamirano. “We were behind most of the game, yet in the most important moment, they were able to deliver.”

The Bulldogs, who stayed unbeaten in nine games, will clash with the Lions in the knockout semifinals at 4 p.m. tomorrow. University of the East and University of Santo Tomas collide in the other pairing at 2 p.m.

Arthur dela Cruz posted a double-double of 14 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Lions, while Rome dela Rosa added 12.

Jeron Teng gave La Salle a 63-53 advantage with 3:50 minutes to go but San Beda mounted a rally with Amer firing six straight points in the final minute.

Aroga’s three-point play gave the Bulldogs the lead, 68-67, and a Gelo Alolino free throw made it 69-66 with 4.6 seconds left.

The Knights tried to forge overtime, but NUs Troy Rosario blocked Ford Ruaya’s attempt at the buzzer.

The scores:

First Game

NU 69—Parks 16, Alolino 13, Rosario 12, Aroga 9, Villamor 8, Rońo 5, De Guzman 3, Mbe 2, Javillonar 1, Alejandro 0.

LETRAN 67—Cruz 16, Nambatac 11, Almazan 10, Gabawan 8, Castro 8, Ruaya 6, Luib 5, Dysam 3, Buenaflor 0, Publico 0, Po 0, Pantin 0.

Quarters: 19-22, 43-37, 56-58, 69-67

Second Game

SAN BEDA 66—Dela Cruz 14, Dela Rosa 12, Koga 11, Amer 8, Adeogun 7, Pascual 4, D. Semerad 4, Abarcar 2, Semerad 2, Sara 2, Villaruz 0.

LA SALLE 63—Vosotros 16, Teng 15, N. Torres 10, Van Opstal 10, Perkins 6, Revilla 3, T. Torres 2, G. Reyes 1, Bolick 0, Montalbo 0, M. Reyes 0, Dela Paz 0.

Quarters: 17-14, 33-26, 46-53, 66-63

Sam Miguel
06-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Warriors capture Filoil crown

Strong fourth quarter show helps UE snap NU win run

By Cedelf P. Tupas

1:07 am | Thursday, June 13th, 2013

The University of the East squad sent a warning to the rest of the UAAP with a scintillating fourth-quarter effort that lifted the Warriors past the National U Bulldogs, 81-68, last night for the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup crown.

The Warriors outhustled the Bulldogs at every turn in the final period, while drawing firepower from Ralf Olivarez, Roi Sumang and Lord Casajeros to wrest their second Filoil crown and first since 2008 before a roaring crowd at Filoil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Olivarez finished with 19 points in just 24 minutes, while Sumang and Casajeros combined for 34 points for the Red Warriors, who finished the tournament on an eight-game winning streak, beating UAAP contenders Adamson and University of Santo Tomas en route to the finals.

UE’s Sierra Leone-born center Charles Mammie also dished out another monster performance with 10 points and 21 boards.

The Warriors trailed by nine just before the end of the third period, before unleashing a crippling run that eventually snapped the defending champion Bulldogs’ 21-game winning run. The Warriors outscored the Bulldogs, 34-13, in the final period.

“We’re very gracious that we were able to experience this,” said UE coach Boycie Zamar, who returned to the Warriors bench in the second round of the UAAP last season.

“We showed a lot of character in this game. This is just the preseason but this is a big factor because we came from a seventh place finish in the UAAP.”

The Bulldogs, with their tall and athletic roster, looked in control, until the fourth period, where they lost Bobby Ray Parks and Emmanuel Mbe due to fouls.

Parks, the reigning UAAP Most Valuable Player, still finished with 23 points, but the rest of the Bulldogs struggled to find their offense when he fouled out with close to six minutes remaining.

The Warriors went on a 13-3 tear with Sumang, Casajeros and Olivarez combining for all the points to seize a 63-57 advantage with 5:44 remaining. Sumang finished off the Bulldogs with back-to-back jumpers, 74-60, with two and a half minutes left.

Earlier, San Beda, leaning on a balanced offensive led by Baser Amer, clinched third place after repulsing UST, 74-70.

Amer wound up with 15 points to lead four other players in double digits for the Lions, who led from start to finish.

The scores:

First Game

SAN BEDA 74—Amer 15, Dela Rosa 13, Adeogun 12, Pascual 12, Dela Cruz 10, Mendoza 4, Abarcar 4, Koga 2, Ludovice 2, A. Semerad 0, D. Semerad 0, Sara 0, Villaruz 0.

UST 70—Teng 27, Abdul 12, Mariano 9, Bautista 9, Lo 6, Daquioag 5, So 2, Pe 0, Ferrer 0, Sheriff 0, Ran 0, Macasaet 0, Lao 0, Hainga 0.

Quarters: 14-16, 36-35, 47-52, 74-70.

Second Game

UE 81—Olivarez 19, Sumang 18, Casajeros 16, Mammie 10, Jumao-as 8, Javier 6, Noble 2, Hernandez 2, Santos 0, Sumido 0, Guion 0, Flores 0.

NU 68—Parks 23, Alolino 12, Mbe 7, Villamor 6, Javillonar 5, Rosario 5, Aroga 5, Alejandro 3, Rono 2, Neypes 0, De Guzman 0.

Quarters: 14-16, 36-32, 47-55, 81-68