12 Mantas KADZEVICIUS
13 Marius ZIMNICKAS
14 Tomas MILINSKAS
15 Giedrius STANIULIS
Coach Vitoldas MASALSKIS

Schortsanitis
08-15-2008, 07:35 AM
RP vs. Lithuania 081408

The game was a complete massacre, with Lithuania leading all throughout the game, and kept extending it thru the quarters. From just a 5 point lead in the 1st quarter, 18-15, they padded their lead to 17 points at the half, 38-21. Then proceeded to extend it to 31 points in the third quarter, 60-29, before settling for a 25 point lead at the final buzzer.

'Lithuanian National Team'
Its amazing to see these Lithuanians play. Not only are they taller, but they are also heftier than our players. And despite being generally bigger, they are still as quick, fast and coordinated than our players. Our speedsters like Tolentino and Terso couldn't outrun them on the court.

I didn't even bother noting down the individual performances since they were just overwhelmingly better. Even if we learn to play against these guys, their size and athletic advantage is just too much to overcome at this point.

'RP National Team'
We couldn't score consistently inside because of the Lithuanian's advantage in size and athleticism, they were blocking our inside shots left and right. Our outside shooting also was not working in this game, a bad time for it to be off. As a result, we only scored EIGHT POINTS both in the second and third quarters, a miserable scoring record.

Matthew Wright was a big disappointment in this game. He obviously had the green light to shoot from outside, and he took a ton of outside shots, and missed all of them. The only positive thing about his game, was he made a couple of acrobatic, Skyrus-Bagiuo-like layups. He obviously has great hops, with his hand reaching the top of the rim on one fancy layup. As a shooter, though, he is likely to be just a streak shooter at best, sometimes having a good shooting game, most of the time not.

Norbert Torres played a good game against Lithuania. He scored some points, and grabbed some rebounds, even blocking the 7-foot no. 15's shot (though Norbert did get blocked also a couple of times). His performance is not overwhelming, but considering that he was going up against taller quality players, he did a good job. I can't wait to see this guy in the UAAP.

Ian Sanggalang was probably the worst player in this game. He is reed-thin, not athletic, and had a terrible case of butterfingers. I counted no less than 6 turnovers attributed to him alone. He is very tall, at least 6'6", and showed good post moves in the fourth quarter, so I hope it was just a case of opening day jitters for him. If not, then I don't think he deserves to be in the team. I think Franz should've used more Philip Paredes as Norbert's backup than Ian.

Schortsanitis
08-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Chinese-Taipei vs. China 081408

Chinese-Taipei lead all throughout the game, from a one point lead in the first quarter, 19-18, they padded it to five points at the half, 52-47.* They extended the lead slightly to six points at the end of the third quarter, 66-60, before more than doubling the lead to thirteen points at the final buzzer, 88-75.

'Chinese National Team'
Finally saw Wang Zheng (China no. 15) play, who is listed as over 7 feet tall.* Medium build, and with very good coordination.* Almost unstoppable in the post.* I think he will be a monster in any games against Asian teams, but he lacks athleticism and strength which he will likely need in games outside of Asia.

China is just too tall, aside from Wang, they also had a triple tower of around 6'10" players in Dong Han Lin (China no. 11), Ren Jun Fei (China no. 12) and Ren Jun Wei (China no. 13), and they fielded all those three guys together starting from the third quarter.* Then they pulled out one of the 6'10" players, and put in Wang.*

Because of that very tall lineup, the Chinese had a terrific offensive rebounding game.* They had a ton of offensive rebounds, keeping the game from becoming a blowout.*

What did them in, though, was the turnovers, and their outside shooting was off.* Just too many case of losing the ball to the opponents, and cases of butterfingers on their part.

After Wang, who had a monstrous game, the next best player for China was Ren Jun Wei (China no. 13), who had a great game scoring from inside.

'Chinese-Taipei National Team'
The CT team is tough, and very quick and fast.* They relied mostly on fastbreak opportunities and ability to beat their men off the dribble to score their points.* They also were able to hit a couple of shots from the outside.*

Chang Po Wei (CT no. 5) is an undersized power forward, only about 6'4", but uses his quickness for drive-in and fastbreak plays.* He also plays with a lot of energy and hussle, enabling him to be one of the team's top scorers.

The CT player I'm most impressed, though, is Chou Po Chen (CT no. 15).* He looks like he's around 6'8", but is a natural small forward.* He likes playing from the perimeter, and has enough dribbling skills and quickness to beat the Chinese frontline off the dribble, getting his points off difficult layups.*

He does tend to drive too much to his left, though, and his outside shooting is non-existent, as is his low post game.* But his height and SF skills are something that we might want to watch as his game progresses even better later on.

onggok
08-15-2008, 10:04 AM
RP vs. Lithuania 081408

The game was a complete massacre, with Lithuania leading all throughout the game, and kept extending it thru the quarters.* From just a 5 point lead in the 1st quarter, 18-15, they padded their lead to 17 points at the half, 38-21.* Then proceeded to extend it to 31 points in the third quarter, 60-29, before settling for a 25 point lead at the final buzzer.

'Lithuanian National Team'
Its amazing to see these Lithuanians play.* Not only are they taller, but they are also heftier than our players.* And despite being generally bigger, they are still as quick, fast and coordinated than our players.* Our speedsters like Tolentino and Terso couldn't outrun them on the court.

I didn't even bother noting down the individual performances since they were just overwhelmingly better.* Even if we learn to play against these guys, their size and athletic advantage is just too much to overcome at this point.*

'RP National Team'
We couldn't score consistently inside because of the Lithuanian's advantage in size and athleticism, they were blocking our inside shots left and right.* Our outside shooting also was not working in this game, a bad time for it to be off.* As a result, we only scored EIGHT POINTS both in the second and third quarters, a miserable scoring record.

Matthew Wright was a big disappointment in this game.* He obviously had the green light to shoot from outside, and he took a ton of outside shots, and missed all of them.* The only positive thing about his game, was he made a couple of acrobatic, Skyrus-Bagiuo-like layups.* He obviously has great hops, with his hand reaching the top of the rim on one fancy layup.* As a shooter, though, he is likely to be just a streak shooter at best, sometimes having a good shooting game, most of the time not.

Norbert Torres played a good game against Lithuania.* He scored some points, and grabbed some rebounds, even blocking the 7-foot no. 15's shot (though Norbert did get blocked also a couple of times).* His performance is not overwhelming, but considering that he was going up against taller quality players, he did a good job.* I can't wait to see this guy in the UAAP.

Ian Sanggalang was probably the worst player in this game.* He is reed-thin, not athletic, and had a terrible case of butterfingers.* I counted no less than 6 turnovers attributed to him alone.* He is very tall, at least 6'6", and showed good post moves in the fourth quarter, so I hope it was just a case of opening day jitters for him.* If not, then I don't think he deserves to be in the team.* I think Franz should've used more Philip Paredes as Norbert's backup than Ian.
Give Ian Sanggalang a chance or time to develope his skills because the kid is only 15 years old (DoB 12/12/92)

Schortsanitis
08-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Give Ian Sanggalang a chance or time to develope his skills because the kid is only 15 years old (DoB 12/12/92)

If he's only 15, and he's already around 6'6", he'll probably reach 6'7", maybe even 6'8" later. I do hope he'll play better the next coming games.

Sam Miguel
08-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Size and strength overwhelmed quickness and athleticism as the RP Youth Team bowed to the much bigger and surprisingly faster Lithuanian national youth team 79-54.

Guards Gedimas Bertasius, Marius Zimnickas and Augustas Peciukevicius led the way with their outside shooting and slashing against the smaller Philippine defense as the Lithuanians broke off from a close 12-11 score in the first period to post a 38-21 lead at the half.

Norbert Torres, Gab Banal, Joseph Marata and newcomer Matt Wright tried to keep the Philippines in the fight and did just that in the first quarter, but the size of the visitors was simply too much to overcome. The 6-foot-7 Torres had a block on Slezas but that was about as good as it got for the country.

Big men Julius Slezas and Evaldas Kairys, both of whom looked at least 6-foot-11 each, then established themselves inside in the second half as the Lithuanians went up by as much as 31 points and finally settled down to the final count.

Lithuania put on a clinic on European basketball with crisp, swift passing and ball movement, clockwork movement without the ball, and no-dribble fastbreaks on transition. Although the Lithuanians were not athletic in the American or even Argentine sense, they were still very fast, very strong and very big, and thier fundamentals are rock solid. Almost every one of them could nail the 16-foot jumpshot, can handle the ball, and can recognize the open man and pass willingly.

Again it was the lack of size that did in the Philippines. Our biggest players were Torres, the reed-thin 6-foot-6 Ian Sangalang and another lean guy in 6-foot-6 Papot Paredes were about the size of the Lithuanian forwards and swingmen. Slezas and Kairys were the tallest and were listed at 7-feet.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-15-2008, 10:44 AM
For the big men, it was just Norbert who played well. Papot, Ian, and Frank were all missing in action against the taller and faster Lithuanians.

Schortsanitis
08-15-2008, 12:23 PM
I just noticed that because the RP Nokia Youth Invitational is being held at the same time as the UAAP games, it has sort of divided the attention of local basketball fans. I for one missed the Rabeh-Cruz matchup yesterday ...

pachador
08-15-2008, 01:17 PM
There is an Israeli basketball software :* http://www.intelligym.com/* * that will train your brain to pass , look for open spaces, etc . i know this is all fundamental and basic stuff , but I used it myself out of curiosity for a few months last year and up to know, my brain is still conditioned to look for the open man instead of forcing the shot. Even though, I always have the habit of passing first to the open man, I was surprised at how this software improved my basketball IQ even more. The software improves your decision-making on the court. It is used by leading american NCAA teams. This is a good training software for buayas* ;D* ;D

Size and strength overwhelmed quickness and athleticism as the RP Youth Team bowed to the much bigger and surprisingly faster Lithuanian national youth team 79-54.

Guards Gedimas Bertasius, Marius Zimnickas and Augustas Peciukevicius led the way with their outside shooting and slashing against the smaller Philippine defense as the Lithuanians broke off from a close 12-11 score in the first period to post a 38-21 lead at the half.

Norbert Torres, Gab Banal, Joseph Marata and newcomer Matt Wright tried to keep the Philippines in the fight and did just that in the first quarter, but the size of the visitors was simply too much to overcome. The 6-foot-7 Torres had a block on Slezas but that was about as good as it got for the country.*

Big men Julius Slezas and Evaldas Kairys, both of whom looked at least 6-foot-11 each, then established themselves inside in the second half as the Lithuanians went up by as much as 31 points and finally settled down to the final count.

Lithuania put on a clinic on European basketball with crisp, swift passing and ball movement, clockwork movement without the ball, and no-dribble fastbreaks on transition. Although the Lithuanians were not athletic in the American or even Argentine sense, they were still very fast, very strong and very big, and thier fundamentals are rock solid. Almost every one of them could nail the 16-foot jumpshot, can handle the ball, and can recognize the open man and pass willingly.

Again it was the lack of size that did in the Philippines. Our biggest players were Torres, the reed-thin 6-foot-6 Ian Sangalang and another lean guy in 6-foot-6 Papot Paredes were about the size of the Lithuanian forwards and swingmen. Slezas and Kairys were the tallest and were listed at 7-feet.

eightyfiver
08-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Sir: Venue and chedule of games please. thanks!

bigfreeze_bibby
08-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Sir: Venue and chedule of games please. thanks!

The schedules for the invitational are as follows:

August 14 (Thursday)
Cuneta Astrodome:

4:00PM Press Conference
5:00PM China vs. Chinese-Taipei
7:00PM Opening Ceremonies
8:00PM Philippines vs. Lithuania

August 15 (Friday)
Philsports Complex Multi-Purpose Arena:

5:00PM Lithuania vs. China
7:00PM Chinese-Taipei vs. Philippines

August 16 (Saturday)
Cuneta Astrodome:

5:00PM Lithuania vs. Chinese-Taipei
7:00PM Philippines vs. China

August 17 (Sunday)
Cuneta Astrodome:

5:00PM Battle for 3rd
7:00PM Championship
9:00PM Awarding Ceremonies

Sam Miguel
08-15-2008, 11:41 PM
Perimeter speed, crisper ball movement, solid perimeter shooting and great defense saw the RP Youth team through to an 84-66 victory over Chinese Taipei. Ryan Garcia, Mark De Guzman, Joseph Marata and newcomer Matt Wright completely outplayed the Taiwan perimeter for the blowout win. De Guzman was particularly impressive with his side-stepping drives, as was Garcia with his one-man fastbreaks.

CM_Punk
08-16-2008, 06:42 AM
http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20080816132690.html

RP Youth 5 bounces back

Games Today (Astrodome)
5 p.m. — Lithuania vs Taiwan
7 p.m. — China vs Philippines

By FRANCIS SANTIAGO

The Philippines rebounded from a crushing setback by hammering out a masterful 84-66 victory over Taiwan last night in the Nokia-Manila Youth Basketball Invitational Championship at the Philsports Arena in Pasig City.

Fil-Canadian Matthew Wright, the newest recruit in the Philippine squad, made his presence felt in the compact tournament, scoring 11 of 19 points in the second half to lead the Filipinos to victory, a feat that enabled them to redeem themselves from a 54-79 defeat to Lithuania on Thursday.

Wright got able support from Mark Joel De Guzman and Ryan Garcia who chipped in 14 and 12 respectively.

Even Samuel Marata did his share by producing 10 points for RP Boys whose victory allowed them to tie their victims in second place at 1-1.

More importantly, the win kept the RP team’s finals bid alive in this single-round, four-day affair as they.

In the first game, Lithuania streaked to its second straight win by dumping China, 68-55.

With the 6-foot-2 Wright and Garcia hitting eight points apiece in the first half and Gabriel Banal adding seven on 2-of-2 shooting from the rainbow territory, the Nationals steadily pulled away and cruised to a commanding 48-37 lead.

The Taiwanese, however, mounted a comeback behind the forays of Ming-Hui and Po-Chen Chou to trim the lead to eight, 64-56, with eight minutes remaining in the fourth frame.

The scores:

First Game

LITHUANIA 68 — Slezas 15, Peciukevicius 14, Kadzevicius 14, Sapiega 10, Kairys 9, Gaska 3, Milinskas 2, Stanilius 1, Bertasius 0, Zimnickas 0.

CHINA 55 — Wang 14, Ren Junwei 10, Cao 8, Ren junfei 6, He 6, Zhang 5, Zhao 4, Wang Y. 2, Si 0, Tian 0.

Quarters: 20-19, 40-30, 53-38, 68-55.

Second Game

RP 84 — Wright 19, De Guzman 18, Garcia 24, Marata 10, Banal 7, Torres 6, Golia 4, Mendoza 4, Paredes 4, Sangalang 2, Tolentino 2, Manguera 0.

TAIWAN 66 — Lee 17, Chou 12, Shih 11, Tsui 6, Chung 6, Chang 4, Lin Yung-Hao 3, Lin Wei-han 3, Lin Wei-Jen 2, Li 2.

Quarters: 25-20, 48-37, 64-54, 84-66.

The_Big_Cat
08-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Perimeter speed, crisper ball movement, solid perimeter shooting and great defense saw the RP Youth team through to an 84-66 victory over Chinese Taipei. Ryan Garcia, Mark De Guzman, Joseph Marata and newcomer Matt Wright completely outplayed the Taiwan perimeter for the blowout win. De Guzman was particularly impressive with his side-stepping drives, as was Garcia with his one-man fastbreaks.

I think De Guzman is currently enrolled in Saint Benilde.

Schortsanitis
08-16-2008, 10:34 AM
RP vs Chinese-Taipei* 081508

Big win by the RP Youth Team over the Chinese-Taipei Youth Team, for two main reasons:* First, they are bracketed with us in the eliminations in the coming FIBA U18 Youth, so a win is a big morale booster for the RP Youth Team.

Second, they won over the Chinese Youth Team.* So if they won against that team, and we won over them, then our chances of winning against the Chinese Youth Team is not so bad after all, despite their size advantage.

The RP Team lead all throughout the game, and just kept extending it all throughout the quarters, a complete reverse to what happened in our game against Lithuania.* The quarter scores were 25-20, 48-37, 64-54, 84-66.

We shouldn't be complacent about beating this team in the FIBA U18 Youth Tournament, though.* I wouldn't be good if we lost there, even if we won here.

'Chinese-Taipei Youth Team'
Chinese-Taipei excel in hustle defense.* They defend against the passing lanes very well, getting a lot of interceptions.* They also disrupt plays a lot by tapping away the ball from driving players, or getting outright steals.*

The problem was, while they were generating turnovers to us with their defense, we were also giving them a dose of their own medicine, causing turnovers also on their side with our defense.* So the turnovers on both teams sort of cancelled each other out, and we hit our outside shots, so somehow they couldn't defend effectively against our one-on-one players.* *

'RP Youth Team'
We shot better this team from the perimeter.* I saw Ryan Garcia, Gabriel Banal, Samuel Marata, and Matthew Wright hit at least a couple of three-point shots during the game.

As for the game's best performers, Mark De Guzman and Matthew Wright were the most impressive.* Garcia had a quiet but significant contribution on points, while Marata hit a couple of shots in the end game.

Matthew Wright hit only about one out of the three perimeter shots he took, but he did what he should be doing for the rest of his career:* Take it strong to the basket.* I don't think he's a natural shooter at all.* With his quick first step, great leaping ability and ability to hit difficult layups, he is more of a budding successor to Skyrus Baguio or Ogie Menor, exciting players who excel in the open court and beating their guards off the dribble.* Most of Wright's points in the game came off layups.

Mark De Guzman is in the same mould as Wright, an exciting one-on-one player.* He has shown flashes of brilliance in the RP Youth team's tuneup games in the PBL, but lacks consistency.* He needs to find a way to be able to bring his A game game in and game out.* This team needs a leader who could lead the team when needed, and he could be it, if he becomes more consistent.*

In fairness to Ian Sanggalang, he ceased to be a turnover factory in this game.* In fact, I can't remember him commit a turnover on this game.* No more butterfingers on his part, and he was causing turnovers himself on his opponents in the game.* A good defensive game this time around for him.

Joescoundrel
08-16-2008, 10:52 AM
I was surprised that Taiwan doesn't seem so big, and that they are no longer the hot outside shooting team of previous generations. They had maybe two players in the 6'7" or 6'6" range in Lin and Chou. Granted these two were athletic and well-built, but they weren't the quick and agile cats of previous teams. Also, they seemed to mirror the Pinoy Baller style of play: a lot of crisp, snappy head fakes and shoulder fakes, crossovers and pivots. It was like they decided to see if they could play like the Filipinos more than to actually play to win. All along I thought Taiwan would have at least one player in the 6'8" to 6'9" range and maybe one designated shooter-type in the 6'3" to 6'4" range. There was no one of those sorts about.

Perhaps Coach Franz Pumaren is right - "They are hiding something from us."

Schortsanitis
08-16-2008, 11:15 AM
I was surprised that Taiwan doesn't seem so big, and that they are no longer the hot outside shooting team of previous generations. They had maybe two players in the 6'7" or 6'6" range in Lin and Chou. Granted these two were athletic and well-built, but they weren't the quick and agile cats of previous teams. Also, they seemed to mirror the Pinoy Baller style of play: a lot of crisp, snappy head fakes and shoulder fakes, crossovers and pivots. It was like they decided to see if they could play like the Filipinos more than to actually play to win. All along I thought Taiwan would have at least one player in the 6'8" to 6'9" range and maybe one designated shooter-type in the 6'3" to 6'4" range. There was no one of those sorts about.

joe, Chou Po Chen (no. 15) is around an inch or so taller than Norbert. So if Norbert is around 6'6" (and I think he may be taller), that would put Chou around at least 6'7".

I wonder what is Norbert's official height, as measured by the team?

wackeekaren
08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
The RP Youth Team lost today to China, 56-84.

They will be facing each other again tomorrow, for the Battle for Third Place.

D_I_A
08-17-2008, 01:47 AM

baka nga nagtatago ng laro at mga tao..kung may itatago man? ;)

Schortsanitis
08-17-2008, 08:26 AM
Chinese-Taipei beating Lithunia is a really, really big win. It goes to show, what that team can do. Let's see if they can do it again tonight.

As for the RP-China game, I hope our players can play better this time against them.

Another observation: Franz Pumaren is arguably the best college coach we have right now. And yet it doesn't look like the Pumaren system is working well in international competitions. Our model for succeeding in international competitions perhaps lies with Taiwan's example.

D_I_A
08-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Chinese-Taipei beating Lithunia is a really, really big win. It goes to show, what that team can do. Let's see if they can do it again tonight.

As for the RP-China game, I hope our players can play better this time against them.

Another observation: Franz Pumaren is arguably the best college coach we have right now. And yet it doesn't look like the Pumaren system is working well in international competitions. Our model for succeeding in international competitions perhaps lies with Taiwan's example.

kakagulat ang taiwan..tinalo natin sila, pero tinalo naman nila ang lithuania na tinalo naman tayo..

Schortsanitis
08-17-2008, 06:51 PM
Here are the first and second quarters of the China-Lithuania game held last Friday, August 15, 2008, at the Philsports Arena in Pasig:

* http://www.motionbox.com/videos/0699d2bd1e1fe78f

* http://www.motionbox.com/videos/0699d2bd1e1ee68f

bigfreeze_bibby
08-17-2008, 08:32 PM
The Philippines salvaged third place by beating China, 84-80.

razor
08-17-2008, 09:19 PM
The Philippines salvaged third place by beating China, 84-80.

Is this China's national youth team or is it just a provincial team or a selection from China's youth pool?

Schortsanitis
08-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Is this China's national youth team or is it just a provincial team or a selection from China's youth pool?

China always keeps its cards close to its chest, so most of the time, you never know which is which.

At the very least, though, this is a selection from their Youth pool. The 7'1" Wang Zheng is an upcoming player there in China.

China reportedly played with only seven players, though this is still for confirmation.

D_I_A
08-18-2008, 12:27 AM

China always keeps its cards close to its chest, so most of the time, you never know which is which.*

At the very least, though, this is a selection from their Youth pool.* The 7'1" Wang Zheng is an upcoming player there in China.*

China reportedly played with only seven players, though this is still for confirmation.

i think this is the typical style of the chinese team of playing only few players from their rosters, just like what their senior counterparts did when it played in the Manila Invitationals last year prior to FIBA-Asia Qualifiers in Tokushima

bigfreeze_bibby
08-18-2008, 08:38 AM
If in case, this is China's team AB (as we are calling it for laughs knowing China's deep talent pool, naubos na ang 26 letters of the alphabet hehe), then ibang klase talaga ang talent pool nila. Yung pinadalang team dito already resembles of what their seniors are in international play. Tall shooters who can easily create their own shot and very active on the defensive end. They also use their basic play of dumping it first inside then rotating the ball out to the perimeter for an open shot, kung walang open shot balik ulit sa loob in case there's a better opportunity.

IMHO, mga half or 1/4 lang nung pinadala dito ng China yung maglalaro sa Tehran in two weeks time.

CM_Punk
08-18-2008, 09:31 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view/20080818-155285/RP-Youth-edges-China-for-third-Lithuania-wins

RP Youth edges China for third; Lithuania wins

By June Navarro
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 05:21:00 08/18/2008

MANILA, Philippines—The Nokia-RP Youth team declared itself ready for the tough battle ahead after downing China, 84-80, Sunday to clinch third place in the four-nation Manila Youth Basketball Invitational Championship at the Cuneta Astrodome in Pasay City.

While acknowledging that it will be a tall order for his under-18 team to perform well in the FIBA-Asia Junior Men’s Championship set in Tehran, Iran next week, RP coach Franz Pumaren said the mini-tournament was good training for his boys.

“This tournament generally helped us prepare for the FIBA-Asia championships in terms of building the team’s confidence and exposing the players to different opponents outside Southeast Asia,” Pumaren said.

The RP Youth team booked a ticket to the Asian championship scheduled Aug. 25-Sept.5 after topping the Southeast Asian Basketball Association Championship in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Led by skipper Frank Golia Jr., 6-foot-4 center Norberto Torres, UAAP juniors MVP Samuel Joseph Marata, playmaker Ryan Roose Garcia and wingman Gabriel Banal, the Nationals are bracketed in Group C with Chinese-Taipei, Lebanon and United Arab Emirates.

Pumaren said the Taiwanese would most likely field the same team that his wards subdued, 84-66, Friday night.

“They were trying to hide something from us. They hardly ran any plays at all,” said Pumaren. “At least, we already get to mark their top players.”

A day after the Filipinos dumped the Taiwanese, Chinese-Taipei revealed its top weapon—potent three-point shooting—when it turned back Lithuania in overtime. Chinese-Taipei and Lithuania were still playing in a one-game championship battle at presstime.

Pumaren acknowledged the need to watch out for Taiwanese shooters Lee Ming-hui, Lin Li-jen and Lin Wei-han aside from keeping an eye on the trigger-happy Chang Po-wei and Chou Po-chen.

Pumaren said his coaching staff has yet to scout Lebanon and the UAE.

“I haven’t seen them (Lebanon and UAE) yet. We’re lacking in height but we will offset it with heart and hard work,” said Pumaren, a veteran of many national teams as a player during his prime.

Besides Torres, Pumaren could only choose from among Philip Paredes (6-4), Ian Paul Sangalang (6-5) and Golla (6-3) to man the slot.

His other players are Filipino-Canadian Matthew Wright, Jaypee Mendoza, Mark Joel De Guzman and point guard Joseph Tolentino.

In the FIBA-Asia championships, the top two teams from four groups advance to the quarterfinals. After another round, the best four squads are paired in the crossover semifinals with the winners disputing the championship.

In the championship game, Mantas Kadzevicius erupted for 35 points as Lithuania turned back Chinese-Taipei, 87-73, to rule the four-nation tournament.

The scores:

PHILIPPINES 84—Garcia 20, Wright 18, Mendoza 14, Torres 12, Golia 11, De Guzman 3, Banal 3, Terso 2, Paredes 1, Sangalang 0, Marata 0.
CHINA 80—Ren Junfei 19, He 16, Wang 15, Zhao 14, Cao 7, Ren Junwei 5, Wang Yingliang 4.
Quarters: 23-20, 40-37, 51-60, 84-80

LITHUANIA 87—Kadzevicius 35, Peciukevicius 18, Staniulis 17, Sapiega 12, Milinskas 3, Slezas 2, Gaska 0, Zimnickas 0, Kairys 0.
CHINESE-TAIPEI 73—Lee 20, Chou 16, Chung 12, Chang 11, Lin Li-Jen 6, Shih 5, Lin Wei Han 3, LI 0, Lin Yung-Hao 0.
Quarters: 13-23, 38-39, 73-53, 87-73

D_I_A
08-18-2008, 12:18 PM
will the FIBA Youth Championships be televised? ???

The_Big_Cat
08-18-2008, 12:36 PM
Magaling talaga yung Matthew Wright. I'm impressed with this kid.

Schortsanitis
08-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Here are the third and fourth quarters of the China-Lithuania game held last Friday, August 15, 2008, at the Philsports Arena in Pasig:

** http://www.motionbox.com/videos/0699d2ba1411e48f

** http://www.motionbox.com/videos/0699d2ba1417e28f

Ranger
08-18-2008, 04:10 PM
You guys would have been proud of our team had you seen yesterday's game! ;D

myktristan
08-19-2008, 01:47 PM
Tough grind ahead for RP youth squad
by Christine Moncada
http://www.malaya.com.ph/aug19/spor6.htm

THE Philippine Youth basketball team will practice late at night until 1 a.m. to prepare for the game conditions in the FIBA-Asia Junior Men's Championships in Tehran, Iran set Aug. 28 to Sept. 5.

The team had been training daily from 5:30-8:30 p.m. but adapted the change in schedule to help them adapt to the time difference in Iran.

"Different ang time zone natin sa Iran kaya ini-adjust namin ang schedule para hindi gaanong manibago 'yung mga players 'pag naglaro sila," said coach Franz Pumaren.

The Nokia-backed RP Youth squad placed third in the four-team Manila invitational tournament over the weekend, nipping China 84-80 in its last game Sunday.

The Asian powerhouse, however, is expected to send a different team to Iran.

Lithuania defeated Chinese-Taipei 87-73 to win the crown.

"It's good the boys experienced beating China although I'm sure this will not be the same China team that will compete in Iran. I'm sure they'll have a few additional players they did not use here," Pumaren said.

"For sure, it's going to be a tall order. We need to play with a whole lot of heart and desire to win. It's all about wanting it and having the pride and passion to represent the country.

"Execution is important in international competitions. In our last week of practice before the Iran tournament I will introduce new plays offensively and defensively. We have to be able to implement it well."

The RP team, bracketed with Chinese-Taipei, Lebanon and United Arab Emirates, will depart for Iran on Monday.

Schortsanitis
08-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Here are the third quarter and the first seven minutes of the fourth quarter of the Chinese-Taipei-Philippines game held last Friday, August 15, 2008, at the Philsports Arena in Pasig:

http://www.motionbox.com/videos/069ad9b71814e88f

http://www.motionbox.com/videos/069ad9b7191be68f

Those are my last videos for the 2008 Nokia Youth Invitational Tournament.

ilovedhay
08-20-2008, 10:08 PM
Were really undersize compared to other competing teams. If youre going to ask me? I think we will land around 8-10th place finish this coming under-18 FIBA Asia