PDA

View Full Version : JRU's (formerly JRC) All-time Greats

eightyfiver
08-13-2008, 08:43 AM
1. Philip Cezar - also my all-time favorite player. Mr. Tapal (Vulcaseal), Mr. Strectch.
-played alongside brother David to give JRU its last(?) NCAA title.

BedanRoar
08-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Syempre: JIMMY SANTOS

cub
08-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Vergel "Aerial Voyager" Meneses. - won multiple Best Player of the Conference award and 1995 PBA MVP.

bchoter
08-13-2008, 10:43 AM
1. Philip Cezar - also my all-time favorite player. Mr. Tapal (Vulcaseal), Mr. Strectch.
-played alongside brother David to give JRU its last(?) NCAA title.
My all-time favorite, too. 1980 PBA MVP. Multi Defensive player of the year awards. Part of the best PBA team EVER. My favorite monicker for him is "Teh Scholar"

The Tolentinos
Kiko and Chris Calilan (former coach)
Ed Carvajal
McDonald Santos
Nani Epondulan
Ariel Capus
_____ Dela Rea
Wynsomething Te

Maganda ring samahan ng mga lumipat:
Carlos Fenequito
Mark Borboran
VJ Serios
Elmer Espiritu
Mark Benitez and ____ Gatchalian "The Pep Test brothers"
Madami pa pero can't remember right now.

Regular Grey
08-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Dennis Abbatuan, played in the PBA as an Enforcer

bchoter
08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Dennis Abbatuan, played in the PBA as an Enforcer
Dennis once scored 51 pts (while playing for countryfair hotdogs?). The guest team NCC just couldn't stop him :D.

I think Toby Poblador is also a product of JRU.

The_Big_Cat
08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Who could ever forget Manny Victorino?

The 6'5" Heavy Bomber played for Great Taste (then Presto) before winding up his career with Purefoods.
He was the first local player that I saw wore the number 1 jersey.
At one point in the PBA, he together with Alberto Guidaben and Ramon Fernandez were prohibited from joining each other because they were the only dominating centers in the PBA in the 1980s.

Howard the Duck
08-13-2008, 08:18 PM
da aerial voyager 8)

Joescoundrel
08-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Wasn't JOJO MANALO fom JRC? And I wonder whatever became of him?

Bchoter I think you mean guard WYNSJOHN TE. The PEP Test guy would be TIM Gatchalian.

And of course how about Season 82 (?) Mythical 5 member and Gameface honoree FLOYD DEDICATORIA.

By the way when exactly did JRC become JRU...?

Was MAC CARDONA ever with JRU...?

eightyfiver
08-14-2008, 08:32 AM

Ang alam ko nag-tryout pero hindi nakuha. Tiga Mandaluyong din kasi si Cardona.

The_Big_Cat
08-14-2008, 08:53 AM

Mark Cardona after coming back from the US, he was once a junior standout from the Light Bombers.

I recall that from an ABS-CBN late night program in 2005 that also featured Dennis Miranda, Arwind Santos and Joseph Yeo.

cub
08-14-2008, 10:40 AM
I thought Mac finished his HS in Carson High?

Wang-Bu
08-14-2008, 02:58 PM
"The Scholar" Philip Cezar pa din. Sunod na diyan si Manny Victorino. Then si Floyd Dedicatoria.

Hindi ko na masyado maalala: nag-abot ba sa NCAA sina Vergel Meneses at Bong Hawkins?

The_Big_Cat
08-14-2008, 03:35 PM
"The Scholar" Philip Cezar pa din. Sunod na diyan si Manny Victorino. Then si Floyd Dedicatoria.

Hindi ko na masyado maalala: nag-abot ba sa NCAA sina Vergel Meneses at Bong Hawkins?

Mas matanda si Hawkins ng 2 years (yata) kaysa kay Meneses. Probably nag-abot sila.

MonL
08-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Strictly on accomplishments on the collegiate level, 6'6" Edgardo "Ed" Carvajal should rank up there with teammate Philip Cezar as the duo* formed the frontline that gave JRC its last championship in 1972 against the SSC Stags led by Jimmy Otazu.

Not much attention had been given to former pro Egay Gomez and NCAA MVP Sixto Agbay. Anyone from their generation willing to share?

BedanRoar
08-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Strictly on accomplishments on the collegiate level, 6'6" Edgardo "Ed" Carvajal should rank up there with teammate Philip Cezar as the duo* formed the frontline that gave JRC its last championship in 1972 against the SSC Stags led by Jimmy Otazu.

Not much attention had been given to former pro Egay Gomez and NCAA MVP Sixto Agbay. Anyone from their generation willing to share?

Sino-sino nga pala nasa line-up ng JRC (at that time) ng last championship nila?

untamed
09-01-2008, 12:24 PM

Sir Jojo Manalo played for Perpetual.

Capuz, Epondulan and De la Rea where are they now?

The_Big_Cat
09-01-2008, 12:52 PM

Capuz was drafted by Sta. Lucia in 2003. But never got a chance to play. He played in the last PBL conference.

lionbanker
09-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Epondulan is playing in Liga Pilipinas, Marco Fajardo last year he played for Toyota in the PBL.

ankle breaker
09-01-2008, 09:14 PM

Capuz was drafted by Sta. Lucia in 2003. But never got a chance to play. He played in the last PBL conference.

capus is in the active roster of alaska this year in the PBA. i saw him played several times in this year's 2 conferences.

dioning
10-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Mark Caguioa attended JRC when he was a kid
dont know lang if he played for the school whether it was in GS or HS

gamecritic
10-29-2008, 10:50 PM
Mark Benitez. Naglaro sya isang year di ba dun? Galing yun db?

aircanda
10-30-2008, 08:31 PM
I thought Mac finished his HS in Carson High?

eto ren ang alam ko at rinecruit siya ni Franz from the States right?

dioning
10-30-2008, 11:46 PM
kung di ako nagkakamali
nag-matriculate din ata sa JRC si Jeffrey Cariaso
eto ay bago siya nag-relocate sa tate
siguro GS din like Caguioa

redlion123
11-02-2008, 12:59 PM
^^ yep..kaya lang kininuha ni orly castelo sa oriental sa pbl

igotgame
11-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Yeah, Macoy Fajardo. Magkababayan sila ni Vergel Meneses, from Malolos, Bulacan. He scored 45 points when he was still playing for JRU, I think.

Emon74
11-23-2008, 07:34 AM
The Late Angel Patrimonio, father of alvin, played for JRC in the 60s, kakampi niya si Egay Gomez, who would coach Alvin sa Yco in the PABL in 1986.

Emon74
02-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Jose Rizal College 1993 Line up

Arnold Gozum
Raul Anore
Dominador Canlas
Pepito Malanay Jr
Michael Paragoso
Ariel Odulio
Lecerio Augusto Mapa
Fernando Florentino
Arturo Quezada Jr
Renato Vitor
Evangelino Tolentino
Philip jordan Osorio
Joe Mari Santiago
Roderick Santiago
Rodel Torralba

The_Big_Cat
02-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Jose Rizal College 1993 Line up

Arnold Gozum
Raul Anore
Dominador Canlas
Pepito Malanay Jr
Michael Paragoso
Ariel Odulio
Lecerio Augusto Mapa
Fernando Florentino
Arturo Quezada Jr
Renato Vitor
Evangelino Tolentino
Philip jordan Osorio
Joe Mari Santiago
Roderick Santiago
Rodel Torralba

IIRC, Gozum was the tallest on that team at 6'5".

Emon74
03-14-2009, 11:16 PM
mga household names of Jose Rizal College who helped the heavy bombers win NCAA titles in 1948, 1963, 1964, 1967 and 1972

Eddie Asistio
Rene Canent
Elias Tolentino
Roelh Deles
Reynaldo Abejo
Francisco Alincastre
Oscar Tuazon
Angel Patrimonio
Carlos Villamor
Oscar Lopez
Sixto Agbay
Renan Pablo
Philip and David Cezar
Ed Carvajal
Jess Sta.Maria
Angelito Ladores
Olimpio Santos

McCoy
04-18-2009, 07:05 PM
No. 1 siyempre si "King" Phillip Cesar

then si Vergel "Aerial Voyager" Meneses

next is Manny Victorino

plus David Cesar, 6'6" Edgardo "Ed" Carvajal and Jimmy "Tito Jim" Santos.

vikz
09-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Danny Lopez #14 can't remember what year though..

MonL
07-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Got this from PEX:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stricken cager calls for wife, daughter
By Joaquin M. Henson (The Philippine Star) Updated June 24, 2010 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Former Crispa center Ed Carvajal was only 24 and at the peak of his basketball career when the 6-6 beanpole became paralyzed after a nine-hour surgery to remove a benign tumor in his brain in 1975.

Carvajal was married less than two years and his daughter Jhoanna was 10 months old at the time of the tragedy. The PBA was a month away from inception and Carvajal looked forward to turning pro with the Redmanizers. He had lofty credentials, having played for the 1972 NCAA champion Jose Rizal Heavy Bombers, the Philippine team that won the 1972 Asian Youth crown and the Crispa squad that took the National Invitational, Palarong Pilipino and MICAA All-Filipino titles in 1974 under coach Baby Dalupan.

But during practice one fateful day, Carvajal fainted. He was rushed to the UERM hospital for a checkup and suffered what seemed like an epileptic attack as doctors prepared to examine him. A CT-Scan later showed a tumor 3/4 the size of his brain. Without delay, Carvajal underwent surgery at Medical Center Manila and a team of five neurologists, led by Dr. Victor Reyes, removed the tumor which was caused by a blood clot resulting from a congenital blockage of an artery to the brain. Carvajal was comatose for two months then regained consciousness but lost all his motor senses – he was paralyzed from the neck down.

About six years after the operation, Carvajal’s wife Gina left him with their daughter and migrated to the US. She has remarried and their daughter, now 35, has two children of her own. For nearly 30 years, Carvajal has not heard from his wife or daughter.

Today, Carvajal lies bed-ridden in the care of his older brother Lito. Through the years, he has survived countless near-death episodes. Three years ago, he was taken to the hospital in an ambulance after developing pneumonia and almost died. Somehow, Carvajal wouldn’t let go – he was holding on for a purpose.

Last Sunday, the whole world celebrated Father’s Day. And Carvajal, 59, finally disclosed what has kept him alive in a virtual state of helplessness – the dream of someday, seeing his wife and daughter again, telling them how much he loves them, thanking the Lord for his family. To be introduced to his two grandchildren would be the icing on the cake.

Carvajal, now hairless, has lost all his teeth and is fed a soft diet. A caregiver on a 24-hour duty watches over him. He is given a full bath everyday. There are no meals he misses. He prays fervently. Statues of the Blessed Mother and the Sacred Heart of Jesus are within his reach. He is able to slightly raise his right arm and clutch a pillow shaped like a basketball with his right hand but virtually everything else is immobile. He sees with both eyes, smiles and murmurs words that only his caregiver can understand and translate. The scar of his surgery remains visible, a winding trail of stitches from his forehead all the way back to his ears. Doctors bore a hole in his skull to extract the tumor and the delicate operation desensitized his nerves.

The youngest of four children, Carvajal was the fair-haired boy, the celebrity in the family. His late parents Carding (a former Citibank executive) and Laura doted on him. So did his sisters Carmeling (now deceased), Laurita and Lito, a former Ateneo cager. They were all heart-broken when Carvajal was stricken.

“I want to see Mommy and Daddy,” Carvajal muttered in his brother’s Alabang home last Sunday. “I love them so much. I love my Kuya Lito all my life. I love my wife and daughter. I want to see them again.” As he struggled to be understood, there were tears in his eyes.

When he celebrated his 59th birthday last August, family friend Gloria Garcia organized a get-together in the Carvajal home and former Crispa stars Bogs Adornado, Atoy Co and Philip Cezar came.

“His mind is sharp and he remembers things from way back,” said Lito. “He’ll tell you whom his teammates were, like Abet Guidaben, Freddie Hubalde and Rey Franco and he’ll even tell you their jersey numbers.”

Carvajal has never lost his sense of humor despite his tragic condition. Asked who was the handsomest Crispa player, he said, “you’re talking to him.” He said he would never agree to be in the care of a male caregiver because he’s a chick-boy.

Why did he wear No. 14? “Because my father’s birthday was the 14th – May 14 and I love my father very much,” he replied. His answers to other questions were quick – Who was his boss? “Danny Floro.” Who was his closest friend among the Redmanizers? “All of them.”

Lito, 71, said he will never leave his brother’s side. “I will take care of him, no matter what, because I love him and that’s how my parents wanted it,” said Lito, a widower. “His life is in God’s hands. The way he’s going, he’ll outlive us all. Ed’s a survivor.”

Carvajal hardly watches TV although there is a set near the bed in his room provided by Lito. His caregiver said he would rather enjoy a Dolphy comedy on TV than a basketball game. Carvajal likes to receive visitors and even if he is unable to converse clearly, the exercise is good for the mind, added the caregiver.

Carvajal is alive for a reason and last Father’s Day, he revealed it. If only his wife and daughter could find it in their hearts to see him again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't know that Ed Carvajal is still alive. As I recall, collegiate games and the premier commercial league then, the MICAA, were held at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum. The beams at the exits to the dugouts were very low for players of Ed's size. He was the tallest local player then. He hit his head on the unprotected low beams while going to the dugout after a game. Some say that that was the cause of Ed's malady. In the aftermath of that, to this day the exits to the dugouts at Rizal Memorial are padded with foam and leatherette to protect the players heading out at halftime or at game's end. When I see those paddings, I still remember with sadness that they were too late for Ed Carvajal.

Sam Miguel
01-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Villarias sets PBA D-League record with 36 points as JRU routs Fruitas

By Celest R. Flores

INQUIRER.net

4:37 pm | Tuesday, January 15th, 2013

MANILA, Philippines—John Villarias set the PBA D-League record for the most points scored in a single game with 36 as Air21-JRU slammed Fruitas, 100-64, Tuesday at the Trinity University of Asia gym in Quezon City.

Villarias punched in for 26 points in the second and third quarter where the Heavy Bombers knocked the Shakers out early, 75-43.

“Nangyayari talaga yun. Lahat ng tira niya (Villarias) pumapasok, actually pati nga yung iba but it’s all about team effort. When we play good defense it’s easy basket for us,” said JRU head coach Vergel Meneses.

The 24-year-old guard, who eclipsed Jopher Custodio and Carlo Lastimosa’s previous high of 32 points, put on a shooting clinic, knocking in seven of his nine three-point attempts, including four big ones in the pivotal second quarter.

It was a close game before JRU went on a 22-3 surge with Villarias leading the way, pushing the Bombers’ lead to 22, 37-15, in the latter part of the second period.

The Shakers tried to regain their form after a 7-0 run bridging the end of the second and start of the third period to cut the deficit to 17, 30-47, but that was just about it as the ball continued to drop for the Heavy Bombers.

“’Di pa din kami puwedeng mag-relax kasi ’di pa din kami pasok. Dapat maging aggressive pa kami sa defense,” Meneses said.

JRU’s suffocating pressure defense set the tone, forcing Fruitas, who had 19 errors, to turn the ball over, which translated to easy buckets on the other end.

The Shakers, whose three-game winning streak was put to an end, leaned on Lastimosa to get them back but the Bombers defense just won’t let up.

JRU pushed its winning run to three to join Fruitas, Café France and Cebuana Lhuillier in a four-way tie in fifth place at 4-4.

Villarias was the lone JRU player in double-digit scoring as Michael Mabulac and Michael Miranda added nine points each.

Philip Paniamogan, whose three-pointer pushed the Bombers’ lead to 37, 86-49, chipped in eight markers. Jeckster Apinan also had eight points.

The Bombers still won big despite missing the services of big man John Lopez, who took a hit on the nose in their previous game.

Lastimosa paced the Shakers with 16 points.

Sam Miguel
02-20-2013, 10:00 AM
NLEX, Cagayan fives clinch title berths

By Jasmine W. Payo

Philippine Daily Inquirer

12:28 am | Wednesday, February 20th, 2013

NLEX survived a Jose Rizal University squad that kept battling back to book a ticket to the PBA D-League Aspirants Cup finals.

Kevin Alas and Ian Sangalang carried the scoring load and Kirk Long made a key block in the dying seconds as the Road Warriors escaped the Bombers, 87-85, in the thrilling winner-take-all Game 3 of the semifinals yesterday at Filoil Flying V Arena.

“It’s a relief to be able to get past JRU,” NLEX coach Boyet Fernandez said after his three-time champions nearly saw their reign come to an end against the hot-shooting Bombers.

The Road Warriors face an unlikely finalist in Cagayan Valley, which completed its upset of No. 2 Blackwater Sports with an 80-68 victory in the other knockout semifinal duel.

Eliud Poligrates, Joshua Webb and Mark Bringas fueled a strong second half where the Rising Suns led by as many as 15 points, 76-61.

“I’m very happy since this is our first time in the finals,” said Cagayan coach Alvin Pua.

Game 1 of the title series is set at 3 p.m. tomorrow at Blue Eagle Gym in Ateneo.

Alas fired all but two of his 19 points in the second half and Sangalang shot eight of his 14 in the last four minutes to keep NLEX afloat against JRU.

John Byron Villarias and Anthony Del Rio towed JRU to within 84-85, but Ronald Pascual nailed two free throws with 9.8 ticks left to keep the Road Warriors ahead, 87-84.

After a Khasim Mirza free throw made it 87-85, Villarias—who shot 21 of his 25 points from three-point range—tried to seal the major upset but Long foiled his potential game-winning triple in the dying seconds.

The scores:

First Game

CAGAYAN 80—Poligrates 17, Webb 11, Bringas 11, Celada 10, Lao 9, Almazan 8, Exciminiano 7, Melano 5, Cruz 2, Pasculado 0, Forrester 0, Montemayor 0.

BLACKWATER 68—Ferrer 18, Celiz 12, Llagas 11, Mangahas 10, Chua 8, Bagatsing 2, Abdul 2, Vigil 2, Fortuna 2, Ciriacruz G. 1,Pe 0, Ciriacruz I. 0.

Quarters: 21-15, 35-40, 57-54, 80-68

Second Game

NLEX 87—Alas 19, Sangalang 14, Pascual J. 13, Pascual R. 11, Camson 9, Salva 7, Sumalinog 4, Lanete 4, Long 3, Hermida 3, Amer 0, Garcia 0.

JRU-AIR 21 85—Villarias 25, Pinto 15, Maiquez 15, Del Rio 13, Mirza 10, Mabulac 6, Paniamogan 1, Lopez 0, Almario 0, Ighalo 0, Miranda 0, Apinan 0.

Quarters: 19-15, 40-32, 64-57, 87-85

Sam Miguel
02-20-2013, 10:01 AM
^^^ Grabe 'yang Villarias na 'yan. I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned as a true superstar in the NCAA.