PDA

View Full Version : THE 2008 PBA #1 DRAFT PICK: NORWOOD OR CASTRO?

coreytaylor
08-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Who do you think will Welcoat pick as #1? Who do you think will benefit Welcoat most?

The_Big_Cat
08-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Ang hirap nito. Parang si Beasley or Rose ang pagpipilian mo.* ;D

If Welcoat gets the number 1 selection, they obviously need a guard.

Gabe Norwood is a prized catch. 6'5" point guard, US trained and very athletic.
Jason Castro is a 3-time PBL MVP. Ang magiging problema dito if you select Castro, is his availability right away. Castro is currently tied up with the Singapore Slingers up to Feb/March.

My pick would have to be Gabe Norwood. Bihira lang dumating ang pagkakataon na magkaroon ka ng 6'5" point guard.* ;)

Schortsanitis
08-10-2008, 11:42 AM
A 6'4" player, who is very athletic (i.e., quick, fast, jumping jack) who can play the point position, but who seems to have limited leadership qualities, and whose mentality is to be more of a role player, a role he played very well in the US NCAA Div. 1.

Or a 5'8" PG, who has not only won 3 PBL MVPs, but has also lead his team to multiple championships?

In their head-to-head confrontations in the PBL, it just seems to me that Jason had the better performance against Gabe. So I would be leaning a bit towards Jason right now.

It like: Jason is a proven quantity, while Gabe has the potential to be better. Then again, he is already around 25, or 26 years old. Can he break out of that role player's mentality? That, would be the gamble.

Joescoundrel
08-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Gabe Norwood at 6'5" and a lean and sinewy 190 pounds at either guard position would be the best bet for Welcoat.

They are a team in dire need of a superstar to bring in the fans, and for all his accomplishments I believe the high-flying Norwood fits the bill of a bona fide PBA superstar to a T more so than three-time PBL MVP and erstwhile Singapore Slinger Jason Castro. Norwood isn't just a basketball player, he is also a marketing dream for the hard up Wel-Best franchise.

Norwood will have at least two good frontline players with him in 6'8" center-forward JR Reyes and 6'7" forward-center Joe Devance. He also has 6'2" swingman Jireh Ibanez and 6'4" forward Rob Wainwright. Norwood will finally have the chance to show how good a pointguard he is with a team like this. And with his size there is no other guard in the PBA that can match up with him, not even the taller ones like Jay Helterbrand and John Arigo.

Castro would be better suited to say Air 21 where he can be the backup for veteran Wynne Arboleda, or even play alongside Arboleda in a smallish but strong backcourt. Or if fate smiles on them he ought to go to Barangay Ginebra, where he will find fast company with Helterbrand, Mark Caguioa, Chris Pacana and the rejuvenated Paul Artadi.

Dark Knight
08-14-2008, 11:14 PM
I always have this notion that Norwood is too overrated.

I'll pick Castro either for Purefoods (as a back up to the aging Roger Yap) or Air 21, and boy, the Express will surely be faster than the speeding bullet if Jason joins that team. ;D

john_paul_manahan
08-15-2008, 05:47 PM
welcoat: gabe would be a good fit

theunderdog
08-15-2008, 06:18 PM
norwood for sure. not picking him will be a crime

Joescoundrel
08-16-2008, 10:58 AM
I always have this notion that Norwood is too overrated.

I'll pick Castro either for Purefoods (as a back up to the aging Roger Yap) or Air 21, and boy, the Express will surely be faster than the speeding bullet if Jason joins that team. ;D

Dark Knight, I also believe that Gabe Norwood has not lived up to his potential, not being able to lead Hapee to a PBL title. Its true: unlike Jason Castro who has led Harbour Centre to three straight PBL titles and picking up three straight MVP awards for himself, Norwood just can't seem to elevate his game enough to bring his team to the promised land, always something stymieing him.

On the other hand, we have yet to see Norwood play his natural pointguard position fulltime like he did for George Mason University in that improbable Final 4 appearance in the US NCAA a couple years back. He has been used more as a forward rather than his natural guard position in the PBL, something that is his most apparent weakness. It may be apples to oranges comparing him and Castro in this sense. Certainly Castro cannot by any stretch ever be a forward even in the PBL. I'd like to see Norwood play his natural guard position in the PBA.

The_Big_Cat
08-16-2008, 11:19 AM
I'd like to see Norwood play his natural guard position in the PBA.

I agree.

He's not you're regular "take-charge-guy" pero ayan ang ipinipilit sa kanya when he played for Hapee. The same goes when he played for Team Pilipinas, where Chot Reyes utilized him at the 3-spot and it backfired because it is not Gabe's natural postion.

Play him at the point and you will see results.

Schortsanitis
08-16-2008, 03:31 PM
I don't know, guys, but I'm not really that convinced, that Norwood would be better at no. 1 than at no. 2 or 3. You have two different coaches in Chot and whoever is coaching at Hapee, and its kinda hard to believe that these two coaches would miss out in giving Gabe a better opportunity to show his game.

As a back up PG in the US NCAA Division 1, Gabe was not really expected to do anything much but to keep things stable while the Starter is resting, and that is what he did well.

Ultimately, though, we can only speculate now, but the proof is when he finally turns pro. It would be interesting to go back to this thread a season or so from now, and see how Gabe and Jason's games will turn out.

joelex
08-16-2008, 11:24 PM
I totally agree, Jason Castro for all his talent and blinding speed, has the heart of a winner and one who would provide good influence to a team needing a leader. Norwood is probably at best when surrounded by 3-4 big time players as he would be reduced to a role player doing a little of everything but a master of none. And to think he couldnt even command double teams in the PBL. Marginal PBL players such as Rey Guevarra even dunked on him once, which is not a good sign that he poses such intimidation. In the FIBA 07 games, i couldnt recall a game wherein he was exceptionally good. I could remember him stringing several 2point or 4 point games. He will not be a star player but to be fair could be at most a servicable complementary player. In the case of Welcoat, Castro seems to be a better choice.

Schortsanitis
08-17-2008, 08:25 AM
I totally agree, Jason Castro for all his talent and blinding speed, has the heart of a winner and one who would provide good influence to a team needing a leader. Norwood is probably at best when surrounded by 3-4 big time players as he would be reduced to a role player doing a little of everything but a master of none. And to think he couldnt even command double teams in the PBL. Marginal PBL players such as Rey Guevarra even dunked on him once, which is not a good sign that he poses such intimidation. In the FIBA 07 games, i couldnt recall a game wherein he was exceptionally good. I could remember him stringing several 2point or 4 point games. He will not be a star player but to be fair could be at most a servicable complementary player. In the case of Welcoat, Castro seems to be a better choice.

I think this was the point I have in my head, I just couldn't explain it as well as you did.

Dark Knight
08-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Is jason castro half american or something?

Sam Miguel
08-17-2008, 10:54 AM
^^^ Dark, Jason Castro is what my generation called a GI Baby: Daddy was an American serviceman stationed in Subic, dunno the whole family story though.

Going back to the main topic, I believe that Jason Castro, given all of his accomplishments, both personal and team, ought to be the Number 1 pick regardless of who is picking. He has paid all of his dues. Think of this: He was just a sidekick to Gabby Espinas in PCU but has since become a far better player who was even given a chance to play in the NBL of Australia.

For all of Norwood's potential, and there is indeed plenty to love about his game and I think still plenty of room to develop, he simply has been underwhelming. For godsakes, what excuse would a guy 6-foot-5 with his speed and athleticism have not to be the multiple PBL MVP?

Then again we have to consider Joe's take: that perhaps Norwood has not been maximized at his natural position. Castro has been a guard all throughout. Previous multiple MVP award winner Eric Menk was a fulltime forward-center with Tanduay. Norwood is a natural fulltime guard who has played forward all throughout his PBL career. Still, a great (not just good) player would have thrived either way, and Norwood didn't get it done.

Welcoat should get Jason Castro.

Schortsanitis
08-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Yup, from what I read in various forums, Jason is indeed a GI Baby.

But get this: His father's surname is "Williams", so if he had used that as his surname, he would've been "Jason Williams", same as the NBA star who is about a foot taller as he is. For some reason, he decided to keep his mother's surname as his name, hence we now know him as "Jason Castro".

Wang-Bu
08-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Maraming ganyang malulungkot na salaysayin sa ating kasaysayan Sir Shortsanitis. Kaya hindi ginamit ni Jason Castro and apelyido ng tatay niya ay dahil hindi siya ni-recognize ng kanyang ama na US Serviceman.

Sa usapin naman tungkol sa sino ang dapat piliin ng Welcoat, tancha ko dapat ngang si Jason Castro na. Gaya ng nasabi na ni Sir Sam, mas marami ng naabot at napatunayan si Castro kumpara naman kay Gabe Norwood.

At saka kung ako lang naman mas pipiliin ko na ang mas tunay na tubong Pilipinas kaysa sa isa na namang Fil-Am. Hindi ko na kasi mawari kung ang Fil-Am ay feeling Amerikano o pinalaki sa am... :-X

coreytaylor
09-01-2008, 02:29 PM
congrats gabe! palakasin niyo ni ty & sol ang backcourt ng welcoat! cant w8 too see how welcoat will do this season.