PDA

View Full Version : Pinoy athletes in the Beijing Olympics

stonecold316
08-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Articles, discussion regarding our pinoy athletes in the Beijing Olympics.

yungha
08-13-2008, 10:15 AM
good luck harry!

bluebruiser90
08-13-2008, 10:28 AM
Go for Gold Harry.* One step at a time.

I like his chances. At least the draw was a bit to his favor. True that he may face a Thai, an American and a Cuban in his bracket but he has already beaten the Thai and the American in the last World Championships.* The Cuban boxer is a relative new comer as their defending Olympic champion (Yan Berthelemy) defected last year and turned pro. Not that the Cuban will be a pushover as they are always gold medal favorites regardless of experience but I like Harry's chances against him than against the guys in the other bracket.* The defending World Champion from China and the 2002 Busan Asiad gold medalist are together in the other group.* They also happen to hold winning records against Tanamor with big wins in big stages.*

Let's all pray that our lone boxer makes it to the finals.* Once he's there, all bets are off.* I don't care about winning records.* He will practically kill for that gold medal.

LABAN PILIPINAS!!

clutchjedi
08-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Harry's at the bottom part of the bracket, so it's likely his fights will be the last of each session.

Here's hoping that by next Sunday we'll all be witnessing one of the most historic moments in Philippine sports.

Wed Aug 13* 20:15* Men's Light Fly (48kg) - Round of 32
Bout 114 (GHA) PLANGE Manyo* vs (PHI) TANAMOR Harry* - (8:15 PM)

next :
Bout 191 (114) vs (115) : Sat Aug 16 Evening 7-9 PM - Round of 16
Bout 223 (190) vs (191) : Tue Aug 19 Evening 7-8 PM - QF
Bout 251 (222) vs (223) : Fri Aug 22 Evening 7-730 PM - Semis
Bout 267 (250) vs (251) : Sun Aug 24 Afternoon 130-145 PM - Final

john_paul_manahan
08-13-2008, 02:30 PM
i remember being in gweilos makati last monday. all of us inside were all cheering jb walsh's win in the heat. afterwards, kitchie nadal sang "isang araw" (a.k.a the theme song of solar's olympics coverage).

bluebruiser90
08-13-2008, 08:48 PM
A sad day for the Philippines as one of our best bets to medal lost in the first round.* Harry Tanamor just couldn't get his game going.* He looked too tight and wasn't firing on all cylinders against a defensively solid fighter from Ghana.* Looks like he overtrained.

It's just one of those days probably.* Too much pressure perhaps to perform very well.* He just picked a wrong day to take a day off.*

Our hopes are now pinned on our jins.

LABAN PA DIN PILIPINAS!!

tigerman
08-13-2008, 09:37 PM
It's now up to the likes of Tshomlee Go and co.

Go Pinoy!

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

yungha
08-13-2008, 11:36 PM
in some ways this might turn out to be the best thing to happen to pinoy amateur boxing. with this latest debacle, maybe the lopezes will finally have the delicadeza to resign. we have some of the best amateur boxers not just in asia but in the world - tipon, payla, basadre - yet we couldn't even get them to qualify for beijing. we have the talent but we don't train them properly enough. amateur boxing relies a lot on science, technique and intellect yet here we are still relying on brute force and sheer courage. we get cuban coaches but what can they accomplish in 6 months? if we want to succeed in 2012, coach tissert has to train our boxers from now until then. tipon and basadre will still be young enough to be competitive by then. but knowing us, we'll start cramming in 2011.

the thais must be laughing their socks off at the memory of us walking out of the boxing competitions in the SEA Games, accusing them of rigging the fights. well here they are with 8 fighters in the olympics. i hope each of those fighters wins a medal including a couple of golds. that will clearly illustrate how far ahead the thais are and how low the lopezes have driven our program.

the ball is in our hands, or, specifically, chairman buhain's. if we still don't sack the lopezes after this, kasalanan na natin kung bakit perrenial kulelat tayo.

oca
08-14-2008, 10:20 AM
Asa pa!

Hindi magbibitiw ang mga Lopez sa ABAP.

danny
08-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Can anyone tell us about our Olympic tradition?

oca
08-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Tradition?

Winning tradition? Isip....isip....isip.... isip.

Wala, eh.

Palusot! Palusot! Palusot!

Teka saan ba magandang magsimula....

Kidding aside, ano nga ba ang ibig sabihin ng tradition?

Yung nakagawian na?

I guess we all know about it. :'( :'( :'( :'(

yungha
08-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Philippine olympic tradition-

we started participating in 1924 and participated each time except in 1980 when the US and its allies led a boycott of the moscow olympics. we have 2 silver and 7 bronze medals. in exhibition sports, we have 1 gold and 2 bronze medals.

we have 4 years to prepare our athletes for each olympiad but each time we start preparing a year before the scheduled olympiad.

every time, our excuse for failure is lack of money. in the meantime, similarly poor nations like sri lanka, vietnam and mongolia seem to find ways to win olympic medals. vietnam! this was a nation devastated by decades of revolution and warfare and now they're doing better at the olympics than we are.

after our boycott of the 80 olympics, we've since won 1 silver and 2 bronze medals in 24 years of participation over 6 olympiads. in that same period, our SEA neighbors indonesia have won 22 medals including 5 gold while thailand has won 15 including 5 gold. don't tell me the thais and indons are physically superior to us or that their economy or they have a much bigger war chest than we do. it's just that they've gotten their acts together while we continue to send mediocre athletes and junketeers to the games.

michael phelps has more olympic golds than we have total olympic medals.

oca
08-15-2008, 12:11 PM
But there's something we can build upon with Tae Kwon Do as an Olympic sport. Ang kulang lang sa mga Jins natin ay exposure to int'l competition- yung consistent and extensive. Magastos ang mag-travel para sa atin, kaya may kakulangan dyan. (Dito lamang ang mga Europeans dahil madali at marami silang cross-border competitions na nilalabanan; at ang mga Middle East countries because of their petro-dollars. Our ASEAN neighbors still consider sports as a political and/or ideological tool kaya may state funding. Eh, dito sa atin? Political platform ang sports! Mga pvtang in@!)

Pero sa TKD, the local organization and the structure we have here, beginning at the age group level is commendable. Pati yung pag define ng boundaries na sakop ng isang accredited coach ay malinaw.

It's the organization that will search for and develop talented kids. Talent alone will take us nowhere. Dapat may support structure that will follow through on the development of the kids.

I think this is just the 3rd time TKD is competed in the Olympics, but the sport has been popular here since the 80s. Kung bakit walang headstart in our favor when it was first included in the Olympics; imo, though popular, it was looked at differently it being a non-Olympic event. So, kahit may 2 or 3 World Champions tayo in the 80s, the level ebbed in the 90s and resurgence happened only after Athens.

In the Athens Olympics we could have won 1 or 2 medals in TKD, pero nabalian si Geisler at na-hometown si Rivero. No excuses, just a statement of facts.

For the other events that are part of the Olympic calendar since the times of our grandfathers', well, the NSAs are all to blame for their debacle.

Duon, may tradition sila.

danny
08-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Philippine olympic tradition-

we started participating in 1924 and participated each time except in 1980 when the US and its allies led a boycott of the moscow olympics. we have 2 silver and 7 bronze medals. in exhibition sports, we have 1 gold and 2 bronze medals.

we have 4 years to prepare our athletes for each olympiad but each time we start preparing a year before the scheduled olympiad.

every time, our excuse for failure is lack of money. in the meantime, similarly poor nations like sri lanka, vietnam and mongolia seem to find ways to win olympic medals. vietnam! this was a nation devastated by decades of revolution and warfare and now they're doing better at the olympics than we are.

after our boycott of the 80 olympics, we've since won 1 silver and 2 bronze medals in 24 years of participation over 6 olympiads. in that same period, our SEA neighbors indonesia have won 22 medals including 5 gold while thailand has won 15 including 5 gold. don't tell me the thais and indons are physically superior to us or that their economy or they have a much bigger war chest than we do. it's just that they've gotten their acts together while we continue to send mediocre athletes and junketeers to the games.

Thanks. Olympic misadventure. Ang lalaki ng ego nating mga pinoy, pero bokya pa din. :D

john_paul_manahan
08-15-2008, 05:41 PM
accountability is needed. where is it?

it should start with the leadership.

yungha
08-15-2008, 07:44 PM
the situation's so pathetic that our contingent in the athletes village celebrates when our swimmers break their philippine records. yes they break the record but in the overall standings they're not even in the top 20.

sheila mae perez finished 23rd in the 3-meter springboard. only the top 18 qualify for the next round. she was over 20 pts off the 18th and final qualifier. she should be good for another olympic run in 2012. but she has to improve dramatically.

speaking of leadership, i believe our sports leaders prepare our athletes for low-level tournaments like the sea games and are content to win at this level. the sea games is the probably the least competitive regional tournament in the world and winning even 200 gold medals there won't mean squat if we don't translate it to asian games or olympic success. we have to train our athletes to be at least asian standard. that way, that would mean they could compete toe-to-toe with the chinese, japanese and south koreans which have all truly arrived as global sporting powers.

pachador
08-16-2008, 12:04 AM
we are one of the few if not the only nation where elementary and high school is crammed into 10 years whereas other nations have 12 years of primary and 2ndary schooling.

The result of cramming all these academic subjects into 10 years means much less time for P.E. In other countries, the whole morning is devoted to academics while the whole afternoon is for P.E. This is one reason aside from genetics why high schoolers in other countries specially western countries are bigger. (Human growth is a result of genetics, food ,physical exercise and other environmental factors).

to show you what i mean. my uncles who are immigrants in the U.S. have average height of around 5'6" to 5'7", and their wives are around 5 feet flat, but their sons(my cousins) who grew up in the US are around 5'10" to 6'2".

yungha
08-19-2008, 01:52 PM
^ even if we devote more time to P.E., i'm afraid most of the kids will be playing basketball anyway. it's unfortunate because some of those basketball-playing kids will be great at track and field. maybe we can ask feu athletic director mark molina to do the country a favor by training their 6'5 juniors center russel escoto for track and field. i swear he only needs to flick his ankles (no need to bend at the knees) to dunk with 2 hands. with proper training he can be a world-class high jumper or long jumper. runs like a gazelle too.

yungha
08-19-2008, 08:21 PM
good luck tsomlee! may all your sacrifices bear fruit. lead us to the promised land!

yungha
08-20-2008, 12:03 PM
our bad fortune continues. Tsomlee Go was defeated by ryan carneli of australia, 1-0. tsomlee will have a chance to go for the bronze if carneli advances to the medal rounds.

tawkytawny
08-20-2008, 01:30 PM
our bad fortune continues. Tsomlee Go was defeated by ryan carneli of australia, 1-0. tsomlee will have a chance to go for the bronze if carneli advances to the medal rounds.

Ano kayang excuse ang gagamitin?

1. Me ankle injury si Tshomlee
2. Bad officiating/scoring
3. It's Pres. Arroyo's fault or her good-for-nothing husband

Take your pick

The_Big_Cat
08-20-2008, 01:33 PM
^The lovely Tony Rivero na lang ang pag-asa natin tomorrow.

tigerman
08-20-2008, 02:28 PM
There's no shame in losing for someone who fought with pride and honor, Mr. Go.

A proud Filipino and a proud Thomasian.

Our last medal hope lies on Ms. Toni Rivero.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

danny
08-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Cuba 11 medals.* Belarus 11. Kenya 8. Kazakhstan 8. Jamaica 5. Indonesia 5. Zimabwe 4. Uzbekistan 4. Ethiopia 3. Mongolia 2. Algeria 2. Kyrgyzstan 2. Thailand 1. Malaysia 1. Trinidad and Tobago 1. Tajikistan 1. Togo 1.*

Kahit isang medalya lang nang masabi nating kapantay na natin ang Togo.* World Class. ::)

Medal Count (http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/medals)

Sam Miguel
08-20-2008, 03:42 PM
All of our best athletes are in the wrong sport. Like why can't Arwind Santos or JC Intal take their mad hops to the long jump or triple jump? Santos is 6'5" with a 38-inch vertical, Intal nearly 6'6" with a 39-inch vertical.

The_Big_Cat
08-20-2008, 03:48 PM
All of our best athletes are in the wrong sport. Like why can't Arwind Santos or JC Intal take their mad hops to the long jump or triple jump? Santos is 6'5" with a 38-inch vertical, Intal nearly 6'6" with a 39-inch vertical.

I recall that there was a similar proposal back then for Bong Alvarez.

danny
08-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Because there is no reason for them to take the leap?

yungha
08-20-2008, 04:53 PM
^definitely, guys like arwind and jc have no reason to take the leap not while they're earning millions in the pba. not everyone can make the pba though and it's those who can't make it who should make the switch from basketball to track and field. just look at the hardcore leagues and you'll get plenty of sprint, high jump and triple jump prospects there. or some heavily built, bull-strong big men who can compete in throwing events.

back to the olympics, it's really all up to toni now. ryan carneli lost in the 2nd round, leaving tshomlee out of the repachage and a possible bronze.

bluebruiser90
08-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Just to put the sorry stae of our sports program in proper perspective, Rohulla Nikpai of Afghanistan won the bronze medal in Tsomlee Go's division. How could an athlete from a country that was carpet bombed all the way back to the middle ages get a medal before the Philippines?

Our neighbor Thailand also just assured itself of a bronze medal in boxing with Somjit Jongjohor (yup, the same guy that our Violito Payla defeated in the 2006 Asian Games) and Manus Boomjunong, the 2004 64 kg. Olympic Champion barging into the semifinals. These two may go all the way to the Gold. This marks the fourth straight Olympics that our neighbors have medalled in boxing (Gold in '96, Gold and Bronze in '00 and Gold, Silver and Bronze in '04). These medals will go well with their Gold in Weightlifting and Silver in Taekwondo.

We only have Onyok's Silver in '96 to show-off for the same period.

danny
08-21-2008, 12:50 AM
^^^

Exactly.

Cuba, Belarus, Kenya, Kazakhstan, Jamaica, Indonesia, Zimabwe, Uzbekistan, Ethiopia, Mongolia, Algeria, Kyrgyzstan, Thailand, Malaysia, Trinidad and Tobago, Tajikistan, Togo...

The common Pinoy may not even recognize most of these countries. Yet these "ano yun" countries managed to secure medals in the current games.

What's the excuse of our officials again? Money?

bluebruiser90
08-21-2008, 08:35 AM
Another side note: The Philippines is now number 1 in an Olympic trivia category. With Mongolia winning it's first Gold Medal in Men's Heavyweight Judo, the Philippines becomes the country with the most Olympic medals without a Gold Medal. Quite a dubious distinction.

GHRanger
08-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Maybe Manny Pacquaio can bank roll the boxing side... maybe bully some incompetent managers and players to actually work. Pwede din si Manny na bumanat... nakikita ko na yung scenario, si Manny di na umaalis sa ring, tapos nakapila na lang yung mga kalaban niya.

Though I hate to admit it and with the fact that I love basketball, I agree that we have our athletes looking at the wrong sports... kung team sports naman maraming ibang sports na di kailangan ng height like field hockey, netball, football, baseball, etc. Sa individuals naman table tennis, track, diving, swimming, martial arts, wrestling, etc.

Medyo naiinis lang ako sa reports lately -- the contingent is asking for a sports psychologist.

yungha
08-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Just to put the sorry stae of our sports program in proper perspective, Rohulla Nikpai of Afghanistan won the bronze medal in Tsomlee Go's division. How could an athlete from a country that was carpet bombed all the way back to the middle ages get a medal before the Philippines?

vietnam endured 3 decades of revolution, invasion and civil war yet here they are with a silver. mabagal kasi tayo matuto eh. we've been competing in olympic boxing since the 30s yet here we are still complaining that they didn't count our body shots! of course they won't count the body shots you idiots this is amateur boxing not hbo pay-per-view. it's the head shots that count. yet time and again we see our young and talented boxers like tipon, payla and basadre, who if trained properly could have all won medals at this olympics, swinging wildly gunning for a knockout.

england's fighters are slow, lead-footed and less graceful and coordinated than our guys yet amir khan won a silver in athens and they're poised for a bigger medal haul in beijing. and they only started focusing on boxing just before athens. no flash, just solid fundamentals. i'm sure if we give our boys the same scientific training and teach them the proper techniques, we'll be good for 2 or 3 medals in london.

yungha
08-21-2008, 12:18 PM
Though I hate to admit it and with the fact that I love basketball, I agree that we have our athletes looking at the wrong sports... kung team sports naman maraming ibang sports na di kailangan ng height like field hockey, netball, football, baseball, etc.* Sa individuals naman table tennis, track, diving, swimming, martial arts, wrestling, etc.

i think rico maierhofer would have been a strong swimmer - long arms, broad shoulders, narrow waist, magaan ang katawan.

Kid Cubao
08-21-2008, 12:26 PM
he would have been a perfect fit, since he grew up in a beach environment, di ba? at least he would have been ideal in the new 10K open water swim event.

ako naman, siguro ang pwede nating gawin ay magkarun ng malawakang paglunsad ng mga athletic hopefuls sa mga "medal rich" events, like shooting, gymnastics, and cycling. if we excel there, malamang pwede tayong tsumamba ng kahit isa lang.

by the way, local bet willy wang struck gold in wushu. thing is, wushu is a demonstration sport and hence does not count in the medal tally.

bchoter
08-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Pang demonstration sports nalang yata tayo. Sana may 2 golds na tayo ngayon :D.

Speaking of the lack of vision, Dagmil, in an interview with Mrs. Hizon, was practically pleading with tears in his eyes for a longer training period WITH a coach.

Echoing the sentiments of Kid Cubao, when China returned to the Summer Olympics their gold medal harvest were mostly from shooting and gymnastics. Yun nga lang shooting is not a "spectator" sport kaya I doubt if it can raise interest among Pinoys.

yungha
08-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Pang demonstration sports nalang yata tayo. Sana may 2 golds na tayo ngayon :D.

plus 2 additional bronze medals from stephen fernandez and bea lucero in taekwondo.

still, i hope they show the wang's medal ceremony. it would be nice to hear the philippine anthem played in the olympics.

u2
08-21-2008, 01:26 PM

hahahaha very funny

Kid Cubao
08-21-2008, 01:42 PM

hahahaha very funny

actually i feel that michael phelps deserves his own medal tally in the official olympic medal count. o kaya gumawa ng bagong republika, say, the island republic of speedo ;D

The_Big_Cat
08-21-2008, 01:51 PM
^Phelpsian feat.
A new word to describe Michael's performance in the 2008 Olympics. Similar to Michael Jordan's Jordanesque.

bchoter
08-21-2008, 01:54 PM

hahahaha very funny
and sad at the same time ;D ;D >:( :-[:( :'(

myktristan
08-21-2008, 03:23 PM
http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?src=findsimilar&assettype=Image&sfkc=Tshomlee%20Go

There's an image there na tinamaan nya yung Australian right in the headgear that would have been an instant 2 points for Tshomlee pero nagbulag-bulagan ang umpire..akala ko NABRO lang ang bulag at bingi..tsktsk..

bluebruiser90
08-21-2008, 03:29 PM
^Apparently may defect yung electronic scoring system nung judges for the first six bouts (including Tsomlee's fight). Later fights would have the umpire step in to score if a clear scoring blow was not properly registered as a score by the judges. Hindi nga lang puwedeng replay yung mga tapos na laban na. Too bad for us.

clutchjedi
08-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Though I hate to admit it and with the fact that I love basketball, I agree that we have our athletes looking at the wrong sports... kung team sports naman maraming ibang sports na di kailangan ng height like field hockey, netball, football, baseball, etc.

Netball isn't an olympic sport yet though...baka handball, bagay sa ating mga basketball-fixated na Pinoy - parang basketball with a football/hockey-like goal rather than an elevated one* :)

myktristan
08-22-2008, 09:09 AM
Though I hate to admit it and with the fact that I love basketball, I agree that we have our athletes looking at the wrong sports... kung team sports naman maraming ibang sports na di kailangan ng height like field hockey, netball, football, baseball, etc.

Netball isn't an olympic sport yet though...baka handball, bagay sa ating mga basketball-fixated na Pinoy - parang basketball with a football/hockey-like goal rather than an elevated one :)

sa handball, pwede din tayo mag-excel..nalaro ko sya as a PE subject ko nung college..physical din ang sport kaya sa tingin ko match sating mga Pinoy yun..though there are rules na medyo dehado tayo..as well as the height factor..

JonarSabilano
08-22-2008, 09:50 AM
Go Toni Rivero! You can do it! ;D

cub
08-22-2008, 10:10 AM
and Toni loses :(

JonarSabilano
08-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Panibagong Sports Summit na 'to. ::)

john_paul_manahan
08-24-2008, 05:36 PM
great.

they may not count in the medal tally, but we managed to get gold in wushu.

King_stag
08-27-2008, 05:56 AM
Olympic blame hunt kicks off

Escudero: Control NSA aid

Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines—Sen. Miriam Defensor Santiago yesterday filed Senate Resolution 583, which aims to probe the cause of the country’s medal-dry campaign in the recent Beijing Olympics, a move that is expected to kick off the blame game that traditionally follows poor Philippine performances in big overseas meets.

Sen. Pia Cayetano is expected to follow suit. The former national volleyball player has said she will also file a resolution that will look into the country’s National Sports Associations and how they are run.
Bacolod Rep. Monico Puentevella, on the other hand, will deliver a privilege speech on Wednesday to persuade congressmen to force the hand of the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor) to give the Philippine Sports Commission its rightful share of the gaming agency’s profits.

“It is a shame that in 84 years [of Philippine Olympic participation] not even one athlete was able to bring home a gold medal,” said Santiago.

The country’s delegation to Beijing failed to net a single medal. Aside from not having won a gold medal in Olympic history, the Philippines stretched its medal-less stint in the Summer Games to three editions or since the 2000 Sydney Games.

The country’s last medal was the silver won by boxer Manueto “Onyok” Velasco during the 1996 Atlanta Olympics.

In Beijing, the Philippines won a handful of medals in wushu, including a gold from Willy Wang, but the sport is not part of the regular Olympic calendar and the results of the demonstration event do not count in the final standings.

“The poor performance of our athletes in the Olympics is not due to bad genetics but the State’s lack of concern for the development of a comprehensive program in the area of sports,” said Santiago who noted that sports “should not only be enjoyed but also taken seriously.”

Sought by the Philippine Daily Inquirer for comment, PSC chair William “Butch” Ramirez said he welcomes the Senate inquiry.

“I will be glad to answer all the questions thrown PSC’s way,” Ramirez said.

Santiago wants the Senate to look into the salaries of PSC officials, the selection process of NSAs and how they allocate their budget for their athletes and the controversies hounding the Philippine Olympic Committee.

Sen. Francis “Chiz” Escudero, meanwhile, applied the reins on the blame game, saying “there is no need to squabble [or] finger-point now.”

“The Olympics are over and done with, we need to move on, but we have to learn from the mistakes we’ve committed,” added Escudero, who wants a more proactive solution to the sporting debacle.

Cayetano is urging a return to the “Project: Gintong Alay” days. The popular sports development program, ran by Michael Keon, ushered in a golden age for Philippine sports and produced the likes of Asian sprint queen Lydia de Vega and Elma Muros.

“I have so much faith in Michael Keon and his Gintong Alay [program],” said Cayetano, whose stint as a national player was covered by the program.

Keon, a nephew of then President Ferdinand Marcos, implemented a program well funded by the government and ran by professional sports managers.

Escudero, on the other hand, is vouching for the PSC to have greater control of its funding for NSAs.

Escudero, echoing a bold plan by PSC chair Ramirez, said NSAs should get their share of government funding based on merit.

“I received information the PSC is keeping records of NSA performance, including NSAs which performed poorly, not only in the Olympics but in other competitions as well,” Escudero said.

“These records would provide a jump-off point for the merit-based support system which we are trying to propose,” he added.

“The PSC should re-evaluate its spending. While it could not limit its support to just a few, a big concentration of its funding should be spent on sports associations with real chances of winning in the Olympics.”

Escudero is also backing Puentevella’s move to bring back the PSC’s share of five percent from the gross income of the Pagcor.

Clearly, though, the country’s top lawmakers want a close look at how NSAs are being run.

“There are just too many politicians running the NSAs and that is our big problem,” Cayetano told the Inquirer.

Sen. Juan Miguel Zubiri suggested that the sports authorities focus on a few sports programs where the Philippines could excel such as boxing, badminton, wushu and taekwondo.

Senate Minority Leader Aquilino Pimentel Jr. said: “Our demeaning Olympics performance can’t be excused just because we are a third-world country. Kenya, Nigeria, Jamaica are not first-world countries but got medals.”

-Now the fun starts. Gentlemen, start pointing fingers :)

bluebruiser90
08-30-2008, 12:51 AM
....Senate Minority Leader Aquilino Pimentel Jr. said: “Our demeaning Olympics performance can’t be excused just because we are a third-world country. Kenya, Nigeria, Jamaica are not first-world countries but got medals.”

Wrong premise.* All these countries have two things that we don't: (1) naturally gifted athletes built for their particular sport in execellent natural conditons to make them excel and (2) having these athletes in heaps and thus providing a large grass roots base to choose form.

Howard the Duck
09-01-2008, 11:01 PM
....Senate Minority Leader Aquilino Pimentel Jr. said: “Our demeaning Olympics performance can’t be excused just because we are a third-world country. Kenya, Nigeria, Jamaica are not first-world countries but got medals.”

Wrong premise. All these countries have two things that we don't: (1) naturally gifted athletes built for their particular sport in execellent natural conditons to make them excel and (2) having these athletes in heaps and thus providing a large grass roots base to choose form.

the key then is to find a sport that is suitable for the filipino build.

yungha
09-01-2008, 11:31 PM
....”

Wrong premise.* All these countries have two things that we don't: (1) naturally gifted athletes built for their particular sport in execellent natural conditons to make them excel and (2) having these athletes in heaps and thus providing a large grass roots base to choose form.

i beg to differ. i think we have both. just look at all the young men and women playing basketball in sandlots, cement courts, barangay leagues, school leagues, semi-pro leagues, pro leagues and you'll see thousands of naturally gifted athletes who would have been great at sprints, long distance, jumping, throwing, swimming, volleyball, weightlifting, cycling, rowing, etc. piso sandosena na ang pinoy 6-footers ngayon. these athletes, though, bata pa lang, wala nang ibang nilaro kundi basketball.

bchoter
09-05-2008, 04:24 PM

the key then is to find a sport that is suitable for the filipino build.
Sabi ko na nga ba dapat nag weight lifting nalang ako eh. Di kami nagkakalayo Suletmanoglu