PDA

View Full Version : UAAP Season 71 Game 9: DLSU Green Archers vs. UP Fighting Maroons

bigfreeze_bibby
08-08-2008, 11:10 AM
The Green Archers will try to pad on their winning run as they face the UP Fighting Maroons this Sunday. The Green Archers made mincemeat of the Maroons back in their first round encounter courtesy of an all-around effort and contribution from the first five up to the bench players. It may not be the same all around effort just like what the Archers did in their last game against the Warriors (where Casio scored the bulk of DLSU's points) but still the same tough effort is needed to beat the Maroons, who are out to recover from their loss against the Bulldogs.

The UP offense is quite in disarray at times since no one has been tasked to take the job as their primary scorer although Agbayani, Reyes, and Co are the ones being given the plays the past eight games for the Maroons. These are good scorers but the Archer defense can handle them quite well with matchups and team defense. I say that Simon and Marko's absence won't hurt DLSU this much in this game as UP lacks the quality to match the Green Archers' bench depth.

UP also has a big hole on defense as they don't have a reliable big man inside aside from Magi Sison and at times it is Astorga, who is a bit undersized, is the one tasked to play the center spot so as to negate the space and to bang bodies with opposing centers as for DLSU's case, Walsham. Agbayani loves to play inside with his low post moves but still his being undersized allows teams to single-cover him and through matchups, doesn't create that much of a problem on the team defensive standpoint of DLSU.

This might be the big chance for other bench players of DLSU to regain their good form like Malabes, Bagatsing, and Walsham. It may also provide again the avenue to rookie Jovet Mendoza to shine after his superb showing in the UE game, battling all game long against the likes of Espiritu and Llagas and I don't see any UP big man who are near in the quality of Espiritu and Llagas so this may be another possible good game for the NU high school standout. It may give playing time for other bench players like Lee and Chandumal.

I am expecting DLSU to win this ballgame as their overconfidence will be the one that can kill them in this game. UP might provide challenge at some point but I am confident that DLSU can adjust and overcome those challenges that will be provided by the Maroons. Gamboa and De Asis are still missing in action from the UP games this season as their spot is being taken over by Braganza and Sorongon. These guys by the way can also light it up anytime so the Archers have to take a look on them defensively as well.

Go La Salle Fight!

coreytaylor
08-08-2008, 12:30 PM
nako! tambakan na naman...

ArcherAdictant
08-10-2008, 08:55 AM
LaSalle by 20 or 30 ;)

batangueño
08-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Game ends. La Salle def. UP, 81-61.

joelex
08-10-2008, 04:18 PM
Game ends. La Salle def. UP, 81-61.

UP's odds were pegged at +19.5, while DLSU a -20.5

as we can see from the final score, all bettors in this game lost. :o

batangueño
08-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Great game by the Archers! Great game by JV, Rico, James, Barua, LA and Maui. Great defense and bench scoring by the boys! :)

As for UP, well, Martin Reyes is the man. Too bad he was not given that much good screens by the other Maroons as UP collapsed in the third quarter after keeping it close with La Salle during the first half.

This is, again, one game wherein I am both proud to express my deep love for the two institutions where I came from- La Salle and UP.

Congratulations to the Archers! Bawi sa mga susunod na laro, Maroons!

UP FIGHT! AN1MO LA SALLE!