PDA

View Full Version : PBA FC Finals: BGK vs AIR21

joelex
08-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Its championship time once again in the PBA, and just like last conference, it features a perennial contender (Ginebra) and a young upstart making their debut in a finals series (Air21).

Ginebra is at its peak right now, winning 12 straight and 15 of 16. As usual, the fast and the furious are at the forefront of their recent surge, averaging a combined 40ppg. Stepping up big time is the kid lightning Paul Artadi, who has been a revelation this conference after riding the purefoods bench the previous 3 seasons. He is also a strong contender for this year's most improved player award. Alexander also has been a force in the middle, leafing the L in boards and swats.

Air21 meanwhile has surprised most PBA fans with their perfromance and consistency this conference. Coach Perasol finally figured out how to use his mostly duplicate players in his lineup to form a smooth rotation. Rising to stardom is former PBL MVP Gary David who has mocked every kind of defense thrown at him. Homer Se has also stepped up and Arwind Santos continues to prove that he is indeed a legit contender for the MVP award. Steven Thomas in the meantime is Alexander's most dangerous threat for the best import plum.

On first glance this series is tilted slightly to Ginebra with their experience and despite the week long rest, their momentum will still be a factor. But Air21 seems to have an advantage matchup wise, especially at the small forward position. As we can see, this looks to be a tough series to call , and the chance of an upset is definitely alive.

tigerman
08-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Coach Perasol gave an appropriate description to the storyline of the incoming finals when he said "This series will be us vs. the Philippines.".* ;D

I'll go with the underdogs. Air 21 in 6.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

aircanda
08-04-2008, 11:12 PM
sayang.. I like Air21's style of play.. pero kahit ano mangyare! GINEBRA pa ren ako! ;D

CM_Punk
08-04-2008, 11:37 PM
I like a bunch of players on Air21 (Marvin Cruz, JC Intal, Doug Kramer) so I'll be rooting for them. Air21 in either 6 or 7 games, with Ginebra giving them a tough run for their money.

cub
08-04-2008, 11:59 PM
since i started watching PBA, i always rooted for Ginebra's opponent. that i dont know why. maybe because of Jawo's attitude. though i want Air21 to win it all, i see the Kings winning in 6.

sa_pula
08-05-2008, 09:25 AM
Bgk 4-0 ;D

Dark Knight
08-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Numero Uno Ginebra HATER here. :D They are no different from the lakers. Both popular and with arrogant players.

Air 21 in 6 !!!!!!!!!! ;D

12 straight wins? matatalo na yan.

Joescoundrel
08-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Ginebra

Probable Starters: Jay Helterbrand, Mark Caguioa, Junthy Valenzuela, Billy Mamaril, Chris Alexander

Scoring: Can score in many different ways, among the most prolific teams in the PBA, averaged over 94 points per game, have great shooters and big powerful forwards

Defense: Underrated defense, gave up a little over 91 points per game, Alexander leads the league in defensive rebounds and blocks, guards feature quick and active hands on defense

Rebounding: No worse than the second best rebounding team in the league, pound both boards relentlessly, relatively tall perimeter gets many opportunistic rebounds over smaller opposing guards

Passing: Feature some of the best passers in the league, Helterbrand and Paul Artadi are instinctive passers with great court vision and recognition

Intangibles: Collective ego is as big as all outdoors, arrogant winners who have a proven success rate in any PBA Finals over the last five years, still the biggest draw of the league and the undisputed crowd favorite

What they must do to win: On the basketball front just keep doing what they have been doing the last 12 games - move the ball quickly center to wing then set up the triangle or run the high-low; move well without the ball especially along the baseline for the drive and draw opportunities, pound those boards hard, funnel opponents into the defense of Alexander, run at every opportunity, make sure all the shooters are ready to go

On the intangibles front just remember that complacency and rust will bite them where it hurts most, disrespecting Air 21 and dismissing them as a fluke or an also-ran will set them up for a major league upset, make no mistake that Ginebra is the favorite, so the only thing that will beat Ginebra is Ginebra

The_Big_Cat
08-06-2008, 10:05 AM
This will be one high-scoring series. Expect a lot of spurts for both these teams.
Since Alexander came into Ginebra's fold in the eliminations, they have been unstoppable.
But Air21 is the most consistent team since the start of the Fiesta Conference.

I am going to root for the much younger and the more athletic Air21.
Air21 Express in 6 games.

coreytaylor
08-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Air 21 & Arwind Santos all the way! ;)

abcdef
08-06-2008, 11:18 AM
This is a very good series I guess. Two teams that are a good match. Despite the youth of Air 21, being an almost flat team (multiple players playing from 2,3,4, and 5 position) gives them a chance to rotate to almost everyone even if there is a switch in defense. However, Ginebra's firepower in their 1,2, and 3 position will spell the difference because if any one between caguioa,helterbrand and valenzuela is the zone they can really takeover the game in the same token that salvacion and artadi can sustain the rally of the frst five.

It would be a Bgy. Ginebra 4-3 series.I doubt if anyone in Air21 has the championship experience and the poise of a contender. But it would be a good experience for Air 21 and I guess this is(the experience palying in the championship) the last piece of the puzzle for the young Air 21 team for them to have a championship in the suceeding conference.

Gi-ne-bra! Gi-ne-bra! Gi-ne-bra!

bchoter
08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Ginebra will run but Air21 will run faster.

The_Big_Cat
08-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Exciting matchups:

Gary David vs. Mark Caguioa
Arboleda vs Helterbrand
Santos vs Valenzuela
De Ocampo vs. Menk
Canaleta vs Reavis
Thomas vs Alexander

aircanda
08-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Gi-ne-bra! Gi-ne-bra! Gi-ne-bra!

hehehe...

experience muna ng air21 to.. ;D di pa nila panahon! alexander is just too much for them.. ;D

goodluck to both teams

stonecold316
08-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Numero Uno Ginebra HATER here. :D They are no different from the lakers. Both popular and with arrogant players.

As if naman you know personally the players. Hindi mo lang matanggap na sikat at magagaling ang players ng BG. Eh sa team mo ba walang mayabang?
;D ;D ;D

Maybe sa hard court astig sila or mayabang ang demeanor but I'm sure off court mababait mga players ng Ginebra. I'm sure of that kasi na meet ko na ang ibang players nila personally eh. By the way, tinira mo na naman ang Lakers. Pag Boston kaya ang binanatan, matutuwa ka? Hinay lang sir, panalo na nga team mo eh.

GINEBRA in four or five games.

stonecold316
08-07-2008, 01:31 AM
BARANGAY GINEBRA TAKES GAME 1
Caguioa, Alexander Express’ chief headaches
Thursday, 07 August 2008

CHRIS Alexander may have had some early jitters in his first PBA Finals. But those proved to be short-lived.

And the rest of Barangay Ginebra, especially Mark Caguioa, certainly did not have such attack of the nerves as the Kings tripped the Air21 Express, 105-96, Wednesday at the start of the 2008 Smart PBA Fiesta Conference championship series at the jampacked Araneta Coliseum.

Caguioa finished with 22 points, offsetting Alexander's woeful 2-of-8 free throw shooting and leading the predominant favorites of the approximately 17,000 crowd to the blazing start in the best-of-seven series.

It's not that Alexander, normally a 54 percent free throw shooter, let himself be affected by his stints from the stripe. He still wound up with 18 points, a game-high 25 rebounds and five blocked shots.

Five of his seven fourth quarter points came off his three offensive rebounds, each one proving crucial in helping the Kings stymie the Express' comeback bid from as much as a 44-64 third quarter deficit.

“That's what we've been saying about Air21 as a team,” said Ginebra coach Jong Uichico. “We're up by 18 or 16 points and then all of sudden they'll score five straight points. They're really a very streaky team.”

Air21 whittled the deficit to as low as 90-96 on a hook by Steven Thomas, still 2:07 to go.

Then Alexander canned a charity off his offensive rebound and then tipped in a Jayjay Helterbrand miss to make it a nine-point game, only 1:20 to go.

The initial anxious moments over, Uichico finds additional comfort in the win.

“It's very important. It gives the burden on the other team to make the adjustments,” he said. “At least 1-0 ka na. We can also still make adjustments and malaking bagay iyon, when you're up.”

Air21 coach Bo Perasol admitted there are indeed some tweakings needed.

“I think those aspects of the game we knew they were going to beat us with became exactly those,” said Perasol, referring to fastbreak and second chance points, which Ginebra translated into concrete figures of 22-12 and 24-8, respectively.

Perasol also admitted his Express, first-timer in a PBA Finals, failed to overcome their own nerves.

“Nagkaroon ng feeling na eto pala 'yung Finals, kaya parang just going through the motions,” he said. “We had a good start but we failed to sustain it. I think we will be better the next game.”

The fact Alexander outplayed Air21 counterpart Steven Thomas, who had 21 points and 16 rebounds, also gnawed at Perasol. “He has to do a better job,” he stated.

Ranidel de Ocampo's 22 points, to go with seven rebounds, led the Express, who also drew 19 points and 14 rebounds from Arwind Santos but only 14 points from Gary David.

David and Santos chiefly alternated at Caguioa, but with little success.

Air21's defensive rotation was generally thrown into shambles when the likes of Junthy Valenzuela, Helterbrand and Eric Menk each had 12 points, leaving Perasol's charges at a loss on who to concentrate chiefly on.

Menk highlighted his best game in the conference by canning two charities in the first minute of the third period to earn his niche as the 59th member of the league's 5,000-point club and his jumper from the left corner gave Ginebra its biggest lead at 64-44, 6:56 in the period.

Despite its lapses, Air21 still proved to be like a bad dream that won't go away for Uichico.

With De Ocampo leading the way, the Express brought the deficit down to 82-89 before Thomas joined in and helped make it a six-point game.

Ginebra guard Paul Artadi was instrumental in Ginebra's charge from a 15-19 deficit and into a 25-19 lead, but pulled his left hamstring during a fastbreak play in the last five seconds of the first period.

He did not return but Uichico, who already lost Ronald Tubid to a dislocated left ankle in the quarterfinals, prays he will be fit enough for Game 2 Friday at the Ynares Center in Antipolo.

“Hopefully, he's healthy enough for the next game. Nakagawa na kami ng paraan ng wala si Ronald, then here comes Paul. Baka we have to find another way na naman,” said the soft-spoken Ginebra chief tactician.

The expected ruggedness in the series first surfaced when Air21's Homer Se gave Rafi Reavis a hard foul at the 10:57 mark of the fourth, exacerbating the Express' plight as the adjudged flagrant foul penalty one only led to two free throws that made it a 83-67 Ginebra lead. (NCo)

The scores:

Ginebra 105 – Caguioa 22, Alexander 18, Valenzuela 12, Helterbrand 12, Menk 12, Reavis 8, Artadi 7, Pacana 6, Mamaril 4, Salvacion 4.

Air21 96 – de Ocampo 22, Thomas 21, Santos 10, David 14, Arboleda 9, Se 6, Billones 4, Canaleta 1, Kramer 0, Cruz 0, Sotto 0.

Quarters: 25-19, 50-39, 79-62, 105-96.

Joescoundrel
08-07-2008, 02:07 AM
Inexperience in a Finals setting showed for the Air 21 Express. They allowed Ginebra to dictate the tempo early, lapsed into plenty of errors and basically couldn't focus. By the time they got their bearings back midway through the fourth period it was way too late. No matter how close they came the Gin Kings simply had all the answers. Arwind Santos went 3-for-5 form trey range and had at least three great dunks in the second half but that was about as good as anything got for the Lina franchise.

Mark Caguioa tapping his temple in the much-recognized sign for using one's head was the play of the day and highlight reel for me in Game 1 - Ginebra played every bit like the multi-titled squad that they are and took Air 21 to school.

Why on earth Coach Bo Perasol didn't try switching looks on defense like say - oh I don't know - zoning up when the backdoor and high post plays of the Gin Kings were killing them boggles no end. I'm sure he was thinking he didn't want the Ginebra shooters going nuts. But when Ginebra built their biggest leads in the third period it was on backdoors, high-lows and drive and draws, everything that can happen when the man-to-man defense fails in the face of the most accomplished guards in the league playing championship basketball.

Oh well, its a long series and Air 21 has four more chances to bring home their first PBA title in franchise history.

The_Big_Cat
08-07-2008, 09:53 AM
Too much transition points, second chance points and guard penetration sealed the win for Ginebra.

I felt the missing factor for Air21's game last night was Arboleda. In Air21's win over Ginebra in the eliminations, Arboleda torched the Gin Kings for 20 plus points. Last night, he wasn't a factor. On defense, nilalampasan lang siya ni Helterbrand and that broke down Air21's defense. Helterbrand wasn't scoring that much compared to Caguioa but Jayjay's penetration created more opportunites for Ginebra.

One good thing working for Air21 is their frontline scoring. Thomas, De Ocampo, Se, and Arwind Santos outscored the Ginebra frontline.

sa_pula
08-07-2008, 10:27 AM

As if naman you know personally the players. Hindi mo lang matanggap na sikat at magagaling ang players ng BG. Eh sa team mo ba walang mayabang?
;D ;D ;D

korek ka jan sir stonecold!..mababait naman players ng bgk.

SAna makapaglaro si artadi sa game 2.

Maybe sa hard court astig sila or mayabang ang demeanor but I'm sure off court mababait mga players ng Ginebra. I'm sure of that kasi na meet ko na ang ibang players nila personally eh. By the way, tinira mo na naman ang Lakers. Pag Boston kaya ang binanatan, matutuwa ka? Hinay lang sir, panalo na nga team mo eh.

Dark Knight
08-07-2008, 01:29 PM
post deleted

Dark Knight
08-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Numero Uno Ginebra HATER here.* :D They are no different from the lakers. Both popular and with arrogant players.

Air 21 in 6 !!!!!!!!!!* ;D

;D ;D ;D

Maybe sa hard court astig sila or mayabang ang demeanor but I'm sure off court mababait mga players ng Ginebra. I'm sure of that kasi na meet ko na ang ibang players nila personally eh. By the way, tinira mo na naman ang Lakers.* Pag Boston kaya ang binanatan, matutuwa ka? Hinay lang sir, panalo na nga team mo eh.

Mr Thomasian wannabe......

1. Im not an Air 21 fan. I just root for every Ginebra opponent. Get it?

2. I did not say i know the players personally. Kilala mo rin ba sila para masabi mong hindi sila mayabang?

3. Im not childish para maasar kung tirahin ang favorite team ko. Unlike you na affected na affected.

4. Please, stay with your nematoad post in PEX.

5. Can you please restrain yourself from quoting my post? I'll appreciate it. Thanks.

and lastly.......who're you? :D

Dark Knight
08-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I dont care if Ginebra won the title. It doesnt change a thing.

I HATE GINEBRA. Along with their addict and tambay sa kanto and dodong fans.

sa_pula
08-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Basta bgk na yan 4-0 ;D

sa_pula
08-07-2008, 01:48 PM

masyado ka namang makapang lait!..below the belt na yan...wag ka na lang manood ng pba finals kung ayaw mo sa fans.

john_paul_manahan
08-07-2008, 02:00 PM
air21 got schooled. time to make adjustments.

ditto with ginebra since artadi got hurt. but pacana did well to make up for it.

bchoter
08-07-2008, 02:41 PM
First time jitters. Will Bo Perasol please tell Arboleda take his "tapa ojo" off? Oh and defense means sticking to your man not to the floor.

Air21 pa rin!

King_stag
08-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Finals jitter? not Homer Se! I love watching his "dribbling exhibition" ;D

Hoops McCann
08-07-2008, 03:34 PM

go easy on the hating, dark knight. this friendly warning also applies to stonecold316, and to everyone. we can disagree without being disagreeable.

bchoter
08-07-2008, 04:32 PM
^ Di ko tuloy itinuloy yung post ko :D. Easy daw sabi ni chief :D

stonecold316
08-07-2008, 05:30 PM

OT: Sino ngayon ang PEX like ang mga posts?

Panawagan lang, kung i-cri-criticized mo sana ang Barangay Ginebra, do it by analyzing their weaknesses or gameface type of posting. Hindi yung PEX like na kesyo mayayabang sila. Tsaka, pati fans tinira mo pa as if naman lahat ng fans nila eh tambay sa kanto.

Ano ba ginawa ng Ginebra at Los Angeles teams sayo para magkaganyan ka? And you are asking me who I am? eto, tambay lang sa tabi-tabi, simpleng mamamayan na humahanga sa gameface.
;) ;) ;)

to the Mods, sinagot ko lang ang post ni DK because I'm a die-hard Ginebra fan since childhood. Again, kung favorite team ninyo ang binanatan ko (pex like manner) would you appreciate it?

Anyway, hope BG wins the crown to cement the team as one of the PBA's finest ball-clubs. Deserve nila manalo because bawat laro pinaghihirapan nila.

stonecold316
08-07-2008, 05:31 PM

go easy on the hating, dark knight. this friendly warning also applies to stonecold316, and to everyone. we can disagree without being disagreeable.

That will be my last post. Sana walang ng hate post susunod. Sabi nga ninyo, gameface ito at hindi pex. Thanks for the warning sir. I'll take note of that.

Dark Knight
08-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Ive benn warned so enough said.

My apologies to all forumers and mods of this site.

pepman
08-07-2008, 09:02 PM
Ginebra in 4 to...

aircanda
08-07-2008, 11:17 PM
ang nakakatakot lang sa BGK eh hindi marunong mag-alaga ng lamang..

still... i believe they'll win it..

DK.. foul yun.. nahurt ako.. nakatamaby kasi ako kanina eh ;D pero apology accepted!

much love..

joelex
08-08-2008, 01:17 AM
did anyone see the inadvertent whistle by a referee sometime in the 3rd qtr of game 1? arwind santos was in for a breakaway 2 pts but was cut short by the whistle. perasol was uncontrollably complaining and was issued a T. 2 pts na dapat, napunta pa sa kabila. hahaha. kung sa uaap mangyari yun, naguumapaw na siguro sa galit mga forums dito.

Dark Knight
08-08-2008, 08:44 AM
did anyone see the inadvertent whistle by a referee sometime in the 3rd qtr of game 1? arwind santos was in for a breakaway 2 pts but was cut short by the whistle. perasol was uncontrollably complaining and was issued a T. 2 pts na dapat, napunta pa sa kabila. hahaha. kung sa uaap mangyari yun, naguumapaw na siguro sa galit mga forums dito.

As Mr. Narvasa would say, it doesnt affect the outcome of the game. ;D

Dark Knight
08-08-2008, 08:49 AM
ang nakakatakot lang sa BGK eh hindi marunong mag-alaga ng lamang..

still... i believe they'll win it..

DK.. foul yun.. nahurt ako.. nakatamaby kasi ako kanina eh* ;D pero apology accepted!

much love..

Thanks! I really dont mean to...... ;)

nastrans
08-08-2008, 09:39 AM

That was a bad call by the referees, as much as Air21 got into their emotions because of being on the Finals for the first time, it was really a bad call and Bo Perasol had the right to get emotional because of that.

Hopefully, well see a more composed Air21 Express later tonight.

The_Big_Cat
08-08-2008, 10:02 AM

One of the assistant coaches was assessed with the technical.
Kung inadvertent whistle, the ball should have stayed with Air21 kasi clear possession sa kanila.

Air21 pa rin ako.

myktristan
08-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Express eye big Game 2 comeback
http://www.malaya.com.ph/aug08/spor3.htm

GINEBRA coach Jong Uichico and Air21 counterpart Bo Perasol realized their fears last Wednesday.

Luckily for Uichico, it was the Express who fully experienced the things he worried about the most.

To Uichico's chagrin, the Kings almost blew a 20-point lead in the face of the Express' gritty comeback, but managed to hold on and notch a 105-96 victory at the start of their Smart PBA Fiesta Conference finals duel at the jampacked Araneta Coliseum.

Ginebra aims to make it an even better 2-0 lead today at the Ynares Center in Antipolo, but only if Uichico, his staff and players come more prepared for the expected Air21 surges, as showcased in Game 1.

Uichico certainly hopes so, courtside witness as he was to the Express making it a six-point game with plenty of time left last Wednesday.

"That's what we've been saying about Air21 as a team. They're really a very streaky team and we've got to do a better job on those streaks," he said.

"You may be up by 18 or 16 and then they'll make a bunch of points. Had our lead been not as big, baka masyadong naging maliit ang cushion namin. They really run streaks."

Chris Alexander bucked a miserable night from the stripes and got ample help from Mark Caguioa as the Kings got back on track, to the delight of their fans making up the majority of the approximately 17,000 packed at the Big Dome.

For Perasol, the way Ginebra racked up 22-12 and 24-8 leads in fastbreak and second chance points, respectively, were the exact things he was dreading the most.

"I think those aspects of the game we knew they were going to beat us with became exactly those," Perasol said.

One other thing gnaws at Perasol.

Alexander made just two of 10 charity tries but still wound up with 18 points. His game-high 25 rebounds gave the Kings a gaping 63-51 advantage off the boards and he also finished with five blocked shots.

Express import Steven Thomas had 21 points and 16 rebounds.

More important, Alexander scored the first five of his seven fourth quarter points off three offensive rebounds, each one proving crucial in stifling the Express' bid to complete their comeback from a 44-64 third quarter deficit.

So after closing in within six points last at 90-96, Air21 found itself down by 90-99, which Ginebra managed to protect in the final 1:20.

"Alexander outplayed Thomas so he has to do a better job," said Perasol, adding his players are hopefully over the jitters of playing their first PBA championship game.

"I think we will be better in the next game," he stated.

Uichico is already bracing for that eventuality and has also noted the areas in which his team could still improve on.

For one, 6-foot-5 forward Ranidel de Ocampo often found himself ranged against a smaller man and consequently finished with a team-high 22 points and seven rebounds for Air21.

"They played big with Ranidel at nabigyan ng nabigyan kaya ayun," said Uichico, adding that had the injured Ronald Tubid (dislocated left ankle) been available, he could be matched up against De Ocampo.

One defensive ploy has already taken a more concrete shape in Uichico's mind. "I don't see us having any distinct advantage, kaya we will not try to do it individually but as a team," he said.

Arwind Santos had 19 points and 14 rebounds while Gary David wound up with 14 for the Express, but their defensive efforts were shredded by Caguioa, who had 22 points for the Kings, including seven in the fourth period.

One thing that is a big question mark for Uichico is the status of Paul Artadi, who suffered a suspected strained left hamstring in the dying seconds of the first quarter after lending a big hand in Ginebra's initial 10-0 surge from a 19-15 deficit.

He was taken out, received initial treatment at the locker room and did not return. He's listed as day-to-day.

"Hopefully he'll be healthy enough for the next game," said Uichico. "Nakagawa na kami ng paraan nang wala si Ronald, then here comes Paul. We may have to find another way na naman."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
surely there would be adjustments on the part of Air21 and Coach Bo Perasol, but if there's one thing we all know about Coach Jong Uichico's style, everything is planned out and could be countered by BGK..so i'll side with BGK on 6 games..Chillax lang po sa mga peeps..Laro lang ito..hehehe..

myktristan
08-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Kings seek 2-0 lead vs Express
by Zean Macamay
http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php?issue=2008-08-08&sec=7&aid=69456

Game today: (Ynares Center)
7 p.m. – Ginebra vs Air21

LOSING Game 1 of t he best-of-7 championship series didn’t seem to create much sting on Air21.

“Malayo pa ‘yan, maaga pa,” said Gary David Wednesday night.

Dropping a second straight game surely would change the Express’ outlook instantly.

In a series they were pre-ordained to lose against a team that doesn’t know the meaning of defeat nowadays, the Express have now realized that beating Ginebra wouldn’t take mere scoring bursts in brief stretches.

They also have come to understand that starting strong doesn’t equate to finishing strong, and already have a grasp of what damage Chris Alexander can inflict when he is on a flow.

“Parang nagkaroon ng ‘culture shock’ ang team,” said Bo Perasol. “We were just going through the motions.”

Faced with a must win situation in Game 2 tonight, the Express hope that the experience they drew in the series opener would be enough to correct the mistakes they did, especially on transition defense.

If not, the Smart PBA Fiesta Conference title series would be over in a hurry.

Perasol vowed that Air21 would entirely be a different ball club that the one that showed up Wednesday, a team that allowed Ginebra to run away with 22 fastbreak points.

The Gin Kings also were hardly challenged on their shots, shooting a respectable 50 percent from the field (44-for-88).

“One hundred percent, we will be a different team tomorrow,” said Perasol.

The Express could perform better, but it doesn’t guarantee of a win.

Already, the Gin Kings are on a 13-game winning streak – a franchise best. The run is also by far the longest in more than a decade, tying Alaska which also achieved the roll during the 1996 Governors’ Cup.

Ginebra also had swept the last two teams it met, first Sta. Lucia in the quarterfinals and then Red Bull in the Final Four. And if Air21 does not get its acts together immediately, it would become another victim.

Alexander is the one that ripped apart Air21 in Game 1. He outplayed Steven Thomas, scoring 18 points and pulling down a game-high 25 rebounds, 9 coming on the offensive end.

While Thomas finished with 21 points and 16 rebounds, he was at most times intimidated by Alexander’s defense, forcing him to be tentative in making his moves towards the basket.

“I must admit, Alexander just outplayed Thomas,” said Perasol.

The only bad thing that hit Alexander in Game 1 was his free throw shooting. He shot 20 percent (2-of-10), a performance that could open doors for Air21 to execute a ‘hack-a-Shaq’ strategy.

“They (Express) could try it,” said Ginebra coach Jong Uichico, referring to the infamous strategy done by opposing teams on NBA great Shaquille O’Neal, a poor foul throw shooter.

Air21, however, should see to it that its players perform better first.

David, who normed 20.7 points a game in the semifinals against Magnolia, struggled in Game 1, shooting a horrible 5-of-17 from the field. In one stretch in the fourth quarter, he misfired three straight times, failing to put the Express closer when they managed to cut a 20-point deficit (64-44) to within 96-90.

KG Canaleta is also a player who has not made contributions lately. He only had a point Wednesday and played for only 10 minutes while Wynne Arboleda shot 3-of-11 from the field.

myktristan
08-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Red Bull downs Magnolia; cops 3rd
by Rey Joble
http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=sports4_aug7_2008

FOR Red Bull coach Yeng Guiao, winning third place is the best consolation his team could get to show how good his team is this season.

Leomar Najorda scored a career-high 22 points and the Barakos finished the Philippine Basketball Association Fiesta Conference on a winning note with a 102-90 triumph over the Magnolia Beverage Masters to bag third place last night at the Araneta Coliseum.

Adam Parada had 33 points, grabbed 17 rebounds and blocked four shots. He totally took advantage on a Beverage Masters squad that played with an injured Amal McCaskill.

The 6’10” Magnolia import played for only five minutes because of a knee injury and went scoreless.

But the Barakos showed up with a business-as-usual stance.

From a slim 48-43 lead at the half, the Barakos broke loose with Parada and Baguio combining for 21 of their team’s 37 third-quarter points. Red Bull posted its biggest lead, 86-70, at the start of the fourth period on Kiko Adriano’s two free throws.

“It’s the best consolation we could get after being swept by Ginebra,” said Guiao. “The least we can do is win third place. Not bad for a team like ours which doesn’t have legitimate superstars.”

“This is a good preparation for next season. The first thing to do after this is to study the draft and then renew the players who have expiring contracts,” he added.

It was the fourth third-place finish for the Barakos since entering the league in 2000.

The two losing semi-finalist came out intense right from the starting gate. But with the game hanging in the balance, Red Bull’s Carlo Sharma went berserk and threw the ball on referee Garchi Ferrer in disgust of a call against him.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for archiving purposes only...

Dark Knight
08-08-2008, 09:43 PM
So much for the predicted 4-0 Ginebra win.

Air 21 blew out Ginebra with a 34 poit margin.

Nice to see the FEU-ADMU-UP-UE connection going for Air 21

Santos-Intal/Kramer-Cruz-Canaleta.

stonecold316
08-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Ginebra will bounce back in Game 3.
;) ;) ;)
Sana nga lang eh makapaglaro si Player of the Conference JayJay Helterbrand.

stonecold316
08-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Ginebra’s Helterbrand, Alexander bag Fiesta Conference honors
08/08/2008 | 06:06 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us MANILA, Philippines – Jay-jay Helterbrand beat Ginebra teammate Mark Caguioa for the Best Player of the Conference (BPC) honors while Chris Alexander became the fifth Kings’ reinforcement to win the Best Import award in the Smart-Philippine Basketball Association Fiesta Conference.

The awards ceremony will be held before the start of Game 2 between the Barangay Ginebra Kings and Air21 Express at the Ynares Center in Antipolo City.

Helterbrand, who began his basketball career in the country by playing only one game with the Batangas Blades in the now defunct Metropolitan Basketball Association before moving to the PBA as a free agent with Ginebra in 2000, tallied 1,403 points after topping the media, players, TV, and PBA (Commissioner’s Office) votes.

The other half of the Gin Kings’ “Fast and the Furious" tandem only lost in the statistical part of the process, 311 to 309, one of the closest in years.

In the final tally, though, Helterbrand ran away with the award by 520 points over the high-scoring Caguioa, who wound up with a total of 883 votes. Helterbrand got 409 votes from the media, 235 from the players, 300 from the TV and 150 from the PBA.

Kelly Williams, the Best Player of the Conference in the Philippine Cup, ended third in the voting with 471 while Air21’s Arwind Santos finishing fourth with 427. Reigning MVP Willie Miller of Alaska came in fifth after tallying 398 points.

Although this is the sixth individual award Helterbrand has acquired in his PBA career, this will simply rank as perhaps one of the best and sweetest.

He won the Finals Most Valuable Player award when Ginebra conquered the 2006-07 Philippine Cup over sister-team San Miguel and also has two All-Stars MVP honors, the first one coming in the 2004-05 Laoag Games and then in the 2006-07 All-Stars in Baguio City where he shared the title with Miller.

Helterbrand also was adjudged in 2004 as the Comeback Player of the Year and in the previous season, was chosen Mr. Quality Minutes.

As a national player, he was named MVP when the Philippines competed and triumphed in the Sultan Cup in Brunei in 2005.

Helterbrand thus became the fourth Ginebra player to win the BPC. The players who won before him were Marlou Aquino, Caguioa and Eric Menk, who took the BPC title three times.

Alexander, for his part, totaled 1,413 votes, beating the Express’ Steven Thomas, who ended up with 988 points.
Alexander topped the statistics (409-387), media (420-206), TV (300-150), and PBA (150-75) over Thomas. The only voting portion he lost to Thomas was in the players, who went for the Air21 import, 169-133.

Adam Parada of Red Bull was third in the voting with 645 and Amal McCaskill fourth (497).

Alexander, the notorious shot blocker and key figure in Ginebra’s franchise-best 13-game winning run as of posting time, thus became the fifth Gin King to win the award after Michael Hacket in 1985, Jamie Walker in 1988, Carlos Briggs in 1989 and Wes Matthews in 1991.

Since Alexander’s arrival to replace Ernest Brown, Ginebra has registered a 17-3 (win-loss) record.

He has collected double-doubles in each of his 20 games, averaging 20.8 rebounds and 19.2 points. He is the No. 1 import in rebounding, in shot blocks (3.2), in field goal percentage (58.2) and is the player with the highest average in minutes played (41.9). – GMANews.TV

stonecold316
08-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Air21 blasts Ginebra, ties title series
08/08/2008 | 10:13 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us MANILA, Philippines – Air21 blasted Ginebra, 124-90 to tie the best-of-seven championship showdown at 1-1 in Game 2 of the Smart-Philippine Basketball Association Fiesta Conference Friday at the Ynares Center in Antipolo City.

The Express played as if they were not newcomers in the big stage against the hottest ball club, leading from start to finish and embarrassing a Ginebra squad that saw an end to its 13-game winning streak dating back to the elimination round.

Air21, a team that was regarded as doomed even before the series began, led by as many as 35 points (117-82) in the surprisingly one-sided contest where Jayjay Helterbrand, named Best Player of the Conference earlier, was unable to finish after suffering a hamstring injury in the third quarter.

Helterbrand only had four points and Best Import awardee Chris Alexander had 10. Mark Caguioa himself wasn’t a big factor after getting into early foul trouble. He had four fouls with still 1:02 left before halftime and by the time he was fielded back, the Express were well headed to tying the series.

Arwind Santos and Gary David each scored 20 points for the Express, who indeed were a different team as what coach Bo Perasol promised after their Game 1 loss, 105-96.

Air21 was a totally solid team this time, responding magnificently to every Ginebra rally with clutch hits and dominating the boards, the aspect of the game the Express failed to check in the series opener.

The Express took a 26-18 lead after the first period, stretched it to 58-45 by the half, then scored the first 14 points of the third quarter to set up the massacre, 72-45. – GMANews.TV

The_Big_Cat
08-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Great win by Air21 to tie the series 1-1.

Air21 pulverized Ginebra in all departments. Lumabas ang talent, youth and athleticism ng Air21 kagabi.

sa_pula
08-10-2008, 11:03 AM
MALAS talaga ginebra last friday samantalang air21 lahat ng ibato pumapasok..delikado ginebra pag hindi naglaro si helterbrand mamaya.

Dark Knight
08-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Air 21 now leads Ginebra All Stars 2 games to 1* ;D

tigerman
08-11-2008, 12:17 AM
One bright side for the loss earlier was Menk's performance. Andun pa din yung mga post moves niya.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

joelex
08-11-2008, 12:59 AM
It would be too much for Ginebra I think to win without Helterbrand. MC had to play extened minutes (from 10min in the 4th he wasnt benched) and he got too tired in the homestretch. He couldnt drive, took terrible shots from the outside, was a step too slow for Gary David. Also had passing errors in the crucial minutes.

Grabe kanina, the gen ad section was packed! First time I saw that section in a PBA game packed like sardines in a long long time.

The_Big_Cat
08-11-2008, 10:12 AM
^Basta Sunday laging puno ang venue ng PBA.

On the series, hindi talaga kayang sabayan ng Ginebra ang talent (individually) ng Air21.
Air21 simply is a bigger, faster and more athletic version of Red Bull.

Hanggang hindi umaangat ang frontline scoring ng Ginebra, mahihirapan silang talunin ang Air21.
Air21 frontline of De Ocampo, Se, Thomas, Canaleta & Santos has been outscoring the Ginebra frontline of Menk, Mamaril, Alexander, Crisano & Reavis. ;)

And what the heck was Alex Crisano thinking when he touched the ball above the cylinder that could have been an and-one play for Eric Menk? The ball was going in at ginalaw pa ni Crisano. >:(
Nagalit si Menk kay Alex sa ginawa niyang iyon.

Still, AIR21 in 6 games.

Jeep
08-11-2008, 08:21 PM
can't recall one of our regulars' sig that said something about age and treachery always trumping youth and skill. while ginebra has been leaning on their old reliables, air21 are a bunch of upstarts looking to crash into someone's party.

kung sabagay, matagal pa ito. but i never imagined the express to appear so poised and confident even before a hostile crowd of 15,000. i've never been a ginebra fan, but always reminding myself to get real, i figured the gin kings should take this series easily. and that is why the way this series is turning out has become a pleasant surprise of sorts for me. like we all say, this is still far from over, but a 2~1 lead, especially by the spring chicken air21 squad, should send out the message that they are in fact no spring chickens for sure.

sa_pula
08-13-2008, 10:27 AM
kAYA pa yan ng BGK..last Championship game nila againts SMB behind sila ng 2-0 nanalo pa sila.para san pa't naging never say die ang ginebra. From 1-7 sila pa una nakapasok ng finals.SAna lang mag step-up na si junthy 2 games na syang absent at sana si coach gamitin nya naman ibang players nya (escalona,wilson,pablo) kulang na nga sila 8 players rotation pa rin ginagamit nya.

bluetruck
08-13-2008, 07:52 PM
ginebra does not play well without jayjay. remember when jayjay went on leave for several conferences? ginebra was also playing poorly during those times.

Howard the Duck
08-13-2008, 08:21 PM

ako ang numero zero ginebra hater :o

GO AIR21 FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!! :D

tigerman
08-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Ginebra ties the series 2-2.

OT:
MVP - Kelly Williams

the rest of the winners here http://pba-online.net/

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Dark Knight
08-13-2008, 10:08 PM
Now its down to a Best Of Three. :(

flsfnoeraekadad
08-13-2008, 10:09 PM
GINEBRA! GINEBRA! ;D

sa_pula
08-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Nabigla sila biglang pinasok si tubid ;D

aircanda
08-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Nabigla sila biglang pinasok si tubid* ;D

bad trip di ko napanood.. if junthy steps up and the rest of the bench and caguioa doing his stuff.. ginebra can win it all..

joelex
08-13-2008, 10:37 PM
malaking bagay talaga yung tubid. he made life miserable for GARY D and Arwind Santos. although he missed several shots, the energy and more importantly defense he brings is really what ginebra needs with the absence of helterbrand.

pacana is a revelation really this conference, he has a very awkward looking shot but he plays good defense and has good decision making skills. this despite not being a big name out of college (SFAC)

Dark Knight
08-15-2008, 09:56 PM
I almost puked my energy drink as FEU king Tamaraw Santos made the crucial steal in the game to seal the win or the Express.

Air 21, bring home the bacon on sunday. ;D

CM_Punk
08-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Air 21 Express up by 3 games, and can win their first championship this Sunday. Arwind Santos and his defense made quite the impact as he had that nice steal and layup towards the end.

The_Big_Cat
08-16-2008, 08:35 AM
As expected Air21 won the game but it wasn't pretty as they would love.

Ranidel De Ocampo struggled last night and failed to score in double figures. Mark Caguioa too hadd problems with the much taller Express defenders. Particularly Santos and Canaleta. Eventhough Arboleda and De Ocampo played horribly last night, Air21's defense was the key for them last night.

ridgemark
08-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Laban Barangay Ginebra!

joelex
08-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Without Helterbrand and a definitely injured Mark Caguioa, the Kings still prevailed against the Express throught the gigantic efforts of Chris Alexander who wound up with 37 and 20. Air21 just couldnt execute down the stretch and lost focus against 18000 strong Barangay Ginebra fans. Gary D and co. were just forcing their shots and lost control of the game, Arboleda couldnt get his gang going and the loss of Thomas to fouls was a major blow.

Game 7 should be a tight one once again.

Dark Knight
08-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Im confident Air 21 will win. Hope i did not curse them. ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
08-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Tiba-tiba na naman PBA nito sa Wednesday hehehe. Alexander did it for the Gin Kings last night pero the good thing is nahawa yung ibang mga kakampi niya sa energy that Chris brought into game 6 last night. It will be another close game sa game 7 with breaks deciding the championship.

Sam Miguel
08-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Ginebra in a Game 7 is something no opponent ever wants. I am not certain as to the historical records, suffice it to say Ginebra was once down 1-3 and came back, and they were once down 0-2 and came back, both times to win a championship every one said they had no business winning. Air 21 should have finished them off last night, and now the Express might find themselves on the wrong end of yet another improbable Ginebra championship end-run.

ridgemark
08-19-2008, 12:17 PM
IT'S A RED DAY!
IT'S A RED DAY!

Ginebra shall win the championship. The entire Barangay will be there!

stonecold316
08-19-2008, 10:28 PM
GINEBRA, GINEBRA, GINEBRA, GINEBRA!

Kunin ang korona bukas!

stonecold316
08-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Air21-Ginebra title dispute boils down to one game
08/19/2008 | 06:40 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us MANILA, Philippines – Will destiny finally be forgiving to Air21, or will it be cruel once again?

Can Ginebra survive its final game of the season with its superstars hurting, or will its undermanned line-up eventually give way?

In a series very few expected to end this way, the Express and the Gin Kings clash in Game 7 Wednesday that’s projected to be rich in drama and intensity for the Smart-Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Fiesta Conference title at the Araneta Coliseum.

This game shouldn’t have been possible in the first place had the Express did a good job on defense in Game 6 last Sunday. They should, by now, be celebrating their first franchise title they have waited for six years to come along.

But Air21, so to speak, underestimated the heart of a champion, loosening up when it built what looked like an insurmountable 16-point lead (33-17) before eventually losing grip of the match when Chris Alexander had an offensive explosion in the third quarter that keyed Ginebra’s 80-75 victory.

“It was just pure heart," said Ginebra coach Jong Uichico after the epic Game 6 triumph that set up the league’s 22nd Game 7 championship showdown.

Once again, Jay-Jay Helterbrand won’t play, still bothered by the hamstring injury he suffered in Game 2 of the series. Mark Caguioa, the other half of Ginebra’s ‘Fast and Furious’ tandem, will again be playing hurt because of a right knee tendonitis, an injury that has largely thrown off his offensive game.

But Ginebra has already proven that it can win despite those liabilities. The question now is whether it can do it again?

Ginebra has never won back-to-back games in these Finals, and this will only be the first time that the franchise will play in a Game 7 championship since winning the 1991 First Conference against Shell during the time of the legendary Robert Jaworski Sr. Ginebra won that series after coming back from a 3-1 deficit.

The last time Ginebra was ever in a Game 7 was in the 2005-06 Fiesta Conference semifinals against Red Bull, and the result wasn’t satisfying, losing it 83-79.

Alexander will be the man tasked to carry the burden for the league’s most popular ball club. The Best Import of the Conference exploded for 37 points last Sunday, 20 coming in the third quarter when the Gin Kings began unleashing a decisive 16-0 blast.

Air21 will now be assessed whether it would stick with its single coverage on Alexander, or deviate from what it has done in the past six games and employ a double-teaming defense on the Ginebra import once he receives the ball down low.

Except for the defensive strategy against Alexander, the Express are not expected to change much on their game plan. They know that they have to limit Ginebra from its running game and control the boards, more importantly, if ever they desire to snap a 6-year title drought.

“We all know what we have to do," said Air21 coach Bo Perasol. “We just have to shoot the ball well."

The Express, a team well noted for their offense, short only 32 percent from the field in Game 6, making only 24 of their 75 attempts. They also lost the battle of the boards (54-49) and only had 2 fastbreak points – a glaring statistic for a team that’s always been known as dangerous on the open court.

These are not the numbers Air21 would want to repeat tonight, especially on an atmosphere that’s certain to be hostile.

“Taking away the crowd for the entire game is a tough task," said Perasol. “But it can be done. We just have to take care of the things that need to be addressed."

Ginebra won that game even if Caguioa only had five points – all in the fourth quarter. Caguioa only took three attempts from the field and was only awarded 2 free throws. Erik Menk also was the only other player to score in double digits (10 points).

Gary David, Air21’s most lethal offensive option, meantime only had 10 points the last time and only had 1 point in the first 3 quarters while Wynne Arboleda had more turnovers (6) than points (4). – GMANews.TV

Sam Miguel
08-20-2008, 10:06 PM
In the end it was all about the legendary never-say-die attitude that spelled the difference. Barangay Ginebra dug extra deep in the last two and a half minutes to turn a close game into an end-game rout 97-84 to claim the 2008 PBA Smart Fiesta Cup championship. Without key cogs Billy Mamaril and Conference Best Player Jay Helterbrand, two players whom many had consigned as afterthoughts came through big time when it mattered most. Ronald Tubid, who came back only in the fourth game of the Finals, and Eric Menk, who had arguably the worst eliminations of his nine-year career, carried the Gin Kings all the way to the Promised Land. Tubid had 22 points, including a perfect freethrow night, while Menk had 21 points. Special mention to Chris Pacana, a man without a team when the conference started, orchestrated and controlled things to help settle down the Gin Kings.

With only a one-point lead 85-84 time down to three minutes and change, Conference Best Import Chris Alexander scored on a hook shot on a post move versus Ranidel De Ocampo to make it 86-83 and Air 21 basically stopped playing. In the third period Air 21 coach Bo Perasol inexplicably kept greenhorn forward Doug Kramer on the veteran Menk who scored on five post-up plays to give the Gin Kings some separation.

Congratulations to the Barangay Ginebra Gin Kings!

tigerman
08-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Wow another vintage performance from a veteran big guy (who many now considered a has-been) just like what Dennis Espino did in game 7 of the last Philippine Cup. This time around, it was Erik Menk who turned back the hands of time. He showed his repertoire of post moves especially in that 3rd quarter against de Ocampo, Kramer and Se to power the depleted Ginebra over Air 21.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

joelex
08-20-2008, 10:34 PM
It is still beyond me how this Ginebra team without Helterbrand and Caguioa obviously not 100% can win the series. AIR21 is favored considerably on paper but like mentioned it was the never say die attitude of Ginebra that carried them through. Best players for the deciding game are Tubid and Menk. Tubid's defense against Gary David is just a joy to watch while it was vintage Major Pain in the post tonight.

tigerman
08-20-2008, 10:36 PM
Tubid's defense earlier was also a vintage performance as he repeatedly made contact wiith the floor and got away with a lot of calls. I don't even have to mention his favorite hobby, flopping. ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

joelex
08-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Arwind Santos had a couple of crucial errors in the final stages, one was being stripped of the dribble by MC47 and one was missing a gimme!

RockLobster
08-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Wooohooo! ;D

I could only follow the score online as I am still in the office. Who was awarded the Finals MVP? Eric Menk seemed to be the most consistent local for the Gin Kings. Turning back the hands of time... welcome back, Major Pain! I think he should be Finals MVP, but whoever else gets it deserves it as much.

Kudos to Ronald Tubid (man, I can't believe I just said that... admittedly, he's one of your most hated defenders back in his UAAP days) for his energy despite playing hurt, and Chris Pacana, for being the revelation of the Finals, for remarkably filling in the big shoes of the injured Jayjay Helterbrand.

Congratulations, Ginebra Gin Kings! Pinasaya na naman ninyo nang husto ang buong barangay! ;D

tigerman
08-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Eric Menk and Ronald Tubid were both named as finals MVP.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

sa_pula
08-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Babawi air21 sa game 8 *;D

stonecold316
08-21-2008, 12:31 AM
GINEBRA, GINEBRA, GINEBRA!

Ginebra winning the PBA crown in seven games against the vastly-improved Air 21 Express is one for the books. Against all odds they won the title. Imagine playing:

-Without star point guard JayJay Helterbrand
-Mark Caguiao not 100 percent
-missing 12 free throws in the game
-Import Chris Alexander getting his fifth foul with less than 11 minutes left in the fourth
-Junthy Valenzuela getting injured
-Being down 2-3 in the series

Iba talaga ang Barangay Ginebra. Kudos should go to Chris Pacana, co-finals MVP Ronaldo Tubid and Erik Menk for playing their hearts out in Game 7. Nakakatuwa si Erik kasi inilabas niya ang galing niya when it mattered most. His performance was reminiscent of his Finals MVP performance in 2005 when BGK bested Talk 'N Text during the PBA Fiesta Conference. As usual. Ronald Tubid was a monster on defense shackling Gary David throughout the game. Si Chris Pacana grabe din ang improvement - very calculated at very calm sa pagpo -point-guard. Si Alexander hanep din kasi despite five fouls hindi pa rin siya naging tentative sa defense at pagkuha ng rebounds.

Eight titles, four in the last four years. Sana next conference makuha na ng Ginebra ang pang siyam nila.

Almost 23,000 fans kanina, the PBA is back in business with Ginebra in the forefront of it all.
;) ;) ;)

stonecold316
08-21-2008, 12:40 AM
Im confident Air 21 will win. Hope i did not curse them.* ;D

Sir, you did curse Air21.
:D :D :D

In the end, it was former King Tamaraw Arwind Santos who turned goat for the Express. He fumbled the ball that led to a steal by Mark Caguiao and missed an easy lay-up in one play. May mga iba pa siyang crucial turn-overs in the fourth that sealed the deal for Ginebra.

Down 2-3 in the series, iba talaga ang may fighting spirit.
Never say die ika nga!

One for Barangay Ginebra!

stonecold316
08-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Home > Sports > Top Stories (Update) Ginebra ends Air21's title hopes, claims Fiesta Cup
08/20/2008 | 09:40 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us MANILA, Philippines – There was an eerie silence the moment Chris Alexander limped toward the Ginebra bench, grimacing in pain, his hand holding his quadricep. Then, there was even more concern when he was called for his fifth foul early in the fourth quarter.

But instead of losing hope, Ginebra only got better.

Alexander survived the game, Erik Menk played like the old Erik Menk, and Ronald Tubid scored 22 points as Ginebra swatted Air21’s first-ever title aspirations, posting a 97-84 win in Game 7 Wednesday to nail down its eighth franchise crown in winning the Smart-Philippine Basketball Association Fiesta Conference at the packed Araneta Coliseum.

Alexander played on the edge of fouling out with 10:37 left in the game but gallantly held on to stand at Ginebra’s frontline of defense, holding the Express without a field goal in the last 4:27 while coming through with 14 unanswered points and giving coach Jong Uichico his 8th title.

“Every championship means a lot, whether it’s your first, your eighth," said Uichico. “Its hard to explain how we won the series, but the important thing is that you keep on trying."

Uichico, who has the highest winning percentage among the active coaches, became only the 5th coach to win more than one title on two different teams. This is the second time that he had steered Ginebra to the title after the 2006-07 Philippine Cup after guiding San Miguel Beer to six crowns.

Menk and Tubid were named co-Finals MVPs. This was the third time that the man they call ‘Major Pain’ has achieved the award, while the honor was the first for Tubid, who came into this series doubtful whether he can play after disclocating his left ankle last July 4 in the elimination round.

Menk finished with 21 points – eight coming the third quartr -- and pulled down 14 rebounds while Tubid had a series-high 22 points including a flawless 11-of-11 from the free throw line.

Game Six will be the one that will bother Air21 the most, a game where it lost a 16-point lead and throwing its chances of ending a six-year title drought or since entering the league in 2002.

But the team that finished No. 1 after the eliminations still had that opportunity last night, coming back from a 13-point deficit in the third quarter (65-52) and snatching the lead at 84-83 on a follow-up by Arwind Santos.

That, however, was the last field goal the Express could connect for the night, reflecting that they still have a lot of maturing to do when it comes to the big stage.

“We were not ready for the impact of the crowd Ginebra brought into the championships," said Air21 coach Bo Perasol. “There are a lot of times we were about to win, but they were able to turn the tide to their favor. But overall, I think we did pretty well."

Steven Thomas led the Express with 24 points, and Santos added 19 points, six rebounds and four steals. Gary David contributed 18 points, shooting 4 of 6 from the three-point range.

It was a victory that, at times, was hard to contemplate for a team that lost Helterbrand in Game 2 (hamstring). Mark Caguioa, who finished with 13 points, then was slowed down by knee tendonities before Paul Artadi also got hurt because of a hamstring pull.

During the game, Junthy Valenzuela also got hurt (knee tendonities) and did not return after hitting the bench with 2:10 remaining in the third quarter.

Somehow, the Gin Kings managed to survive. And that was all because of their spirit.

“The players deserve the credit despite the deficiencies," said Uichico. “We could have easily given up when the players got hurt, but we did not."

The Gin Kings were fortunate to hang on to a 49-46 lead after the first half despite missing 11 free throws (12 of 23) and giving away 16 turnover points to the Express, who were called for 2 flagrant fouls (penalty 1) and a pair of technical fouls.

Ginebra, though, had more second chance points, 14-4.

Ronald Tubid came off the bench to score 12 points in the first half for the Gin Kings, who led largest at 28-21 on a basket by Paul Artadi 18 seconds into the second quarter.

The Express, who in Game 6 had the best start in the series by storming to a 14-0 spread, countered to tie the count at 29 on a triple from Santos. – GMANews.TV

The_Big_Cat
08-21-2008, 10:44 AM
I felt the ability of the Air21 guards to maximize the depleted guard lineup of Ginebra was the key factor.
Wynne Arboleda should have taken advantage of the depleted guard lineup of Ginebra. In the 3 wins Air21 won, he was a factor for only two of those games and the losses, he wasn't a factor at all.

Dark Knight
08-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Congrats Ginebra

I just had a huge...and i mean huge headache last night. ;D

bchoter
08-21-2008, 04:01 PM
May NABROesqu moments ang mga referees kagabi. Similar fouls called on one end are ignored on the other end.

stonecold316
08-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Grabe, wala pa atang 1,000 ang supporters ng Air 21 kagabi. Tapos mayron pa silang Ube Republic na poster, pambanat sa Barangay Ginebra posters. Super corny para sakin, pilit na pilit. May isa pang sign sabi na "its much safer to eat ube than to drink gin." Teka, kailan ba naging Ube ang product ng Air-21? Diba delivery express ang bentahe nila tapos Ube?* ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, 22,000 plus ang fans ng Ginebra kagabi. Sa bleachers tayuan na ang tao. Madami pa gi nakapasok sa venue dahil wala ng tickets.

For the record books talaga attendance sa game.

Regarding the officiating, hahahaha!

Ginebra pa rin ang wagi!

bigfreeze_bibby
08-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Congratulations to La Sallians JR Aquino, Willy Wilson, Sunday Salvacion, Paul Artadi, Macky Escalona, and to coaches Jong Uichico and Juno Sauler for winning the 2008 PBA Fiesta Cup championship.

john_paul_manahan
08-22-2008, 11:29 AM
congrats to the Barangay M*A*S*H unit!

what bothered me was the Gi-Ne-Bra! chants last night at the Ateneo-UE game.

It was a turnback the hands of time game. Tubid playing like he was the UE stud and Menk in his MVP form.

nastrans
08-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Grabe, wala pa atang 1,000 ang supporters ng Air 21 kagabi. Tapos mayron pa silang Ube Republic na poster, pambanat sa Barangay Ginebra posters. Super corny para sakin, pilit na pilit. May isa pang sign sabi na "its much safer to eat ube than to drink gin." Teka, kailan ba naging Ube ang product ng Air-21? Diba delivery express ang bentahe nila tapos Ube? ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, 22,000 plus ang fans ng Ginebra kagabi. Sa bleachers tayuan na ang tao. Madami pa gi nakapasok sa venue dahil wala ng tickets.

Ginebra pa rin ang wagi!

Bago ka humirit, alam mo na kaya UBE e dahil Bert Lina's daughter owns UBE Media kaya UBE Republic and what's wrong with that?

Anyway congrats sa Ginebra, what a Game 7 by Eric Menk.

stonecold316
08-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Grabe, wala pa atang 1,000 ang supporters ng Air 21 kagabi. Tapos mayron pa silang Ube Republic na poster, pambanat sa Barangay Ginebra posters. Super corny para sakin, pilit na pilit. May isa pang sign sabi na "its much safer to eat ube than to drink gin." Teka, kailan ba naging Ube ang product ng Air-21? Diba delivery express ang bentahe nila tapos Ube?* ;D ;D ;D

Ginebra pa rin ang wagi!

Bago ka humirit, alam mo na kaya UBE e dahil Bert Lina's daughter owns UBE Media kaya UBE Republic and what's wrong with that?

Eh ano bang brand ang dinadala ng team ni Bert Lina sa PBA? Ube Media ba? I mean, Air 21 Express diba? So dapat sana related sa team ang mga posters or signs na binabandera ng mga fans nila/hatak. Common sense lang, Danding ang Henry Cojuangco owns Magnolia, Purefoods and Ginebra pero may nakita ka ba na posters related sa Magnolia Beverage Masters and Purefoods? Wala kasi ang lumalaban sa PBA championship eh Barangay Ginebra.

Tsaka, sige nga ano ba ang significance ng Ube Republic? Ano yun, pantapat sa Barangay Ginebra posters na naglipana sa Big Dome? Sos, ang CORNY naman nun. Ni wala nga sa kalingkingan ng Ginebra crowd ang tao ng Air21 then they will call themselves Ube Republic. Masyadong pilit. Corny sakin yun eh, so what's wrong with that?

stonecold316
08-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Never-say-die legend lives on with Ginebra
08/21/2008 | 07:51 PM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
MANILA, Philippines – In the end, the team that wanted it more triumphed. Couple that with its invaluable experience and the Philippine Basketball Association’s most popular team also turned out to be its best.

In a championship series where momentum shifted back and forth, Barangay Ginebra ended Air21’s maiden-title aspirations Wednesday night, after it overcame injuries, a determined adversary and a tense, down-the-wire Game Seven.

And along the way the Kings ended any talk that they were past their championship prime.

“What’s there to say?" winning coach Jong Uichico said after Ginebra completed a title-series comeback to win the Smart-PBA Fiesta Conference Wednesday at the Araneta Coliseum.

“Every championship means a lot. Every win means a lot whether it is your first or your eighth. You’re really happy because you worked hard for a certain goal. The important thing is that you keep on trying."

When it was down 0-5 at the start of the tournament, Ginebra tried to get back up. When they were down by 16 points facing elimination in Game Six, the Kings tried to extend the series. When they lost Jay-Jay Helterbrand in Game Two of the finals, Uichico and co. tried to soldier on.

In all three instances, Ginebra succeeded.

Ginebra won 13 straight to enter the championship round. The Kings banked on Chris Alexander’s over-the-top performance in Game Six to breathe new life into a season on the brink. And without Helterbrand, they were able to win the three games necessary to seal the championship.

Even Uichico can’t figure out what had transpired.

“It’s really hard to explain how we won this series," he admitted.

But for sure, Uichico decided to take a back seat when the credits were rolling. He said he wanted his players to be showered with the praise they so rightfully deserve. According to Uichico, never has he seen a team play with so much resolve despite being physically sub-par.

Eric Menk and Ronald Tubid, who weren’t factors throughout the majority of the tournament, embodied the yeoman’s attitude in the title-clincher.

Menk, who will celebrate his 34th birthday on Sunday, was like his old MVP self. He scored eight points in a morale-boosting run in the third quarter and finished with 21 overall.

Tubid, who was sidelined with a dislocated ankle prior to the finals, tallied a team-high 22 points.

For their efforts, Menk and Tubid were named co-Finals MVPs.

Tubid wasn’t the only King nursing an injury. Helterbrand (hamstring), Mark Caguioa (tendonitis), Junthy Valenzuela (knee) and Helterbrand’s back-up Paul Artadi (hamstring) were limping at one point during the series and during Sunday’s game itself.

Worse, Alexander was in foul trouble early in the see-sawing fourth quarter of Game Seven.

“We could have easily given up when Jay-Jay got injured. We could have easily given up when Mark got injured. We could have easily given up when Paul got injured. But we didn’t," Uichico said.

The title is Ginebra’s eighth PBA championship. Uichico also has the same number of titles, his second with Ginebra after six with San Miguel.

For the losing finalist, Air21 can look at the heart-breaking loss as part of the maturation process.

“I’ve always been spiritual for everything we’ve accomplished this conference," Expres coach Bo Perasol said. “If we win, I will give all the glory to God. If we lose, that only means that He wants to make a lot of people happy. And tonight, a lot of people are happy because Ginebra won."

Perasol’s team had a chance to close the series Sunday when Air21 was up 3-2 but the first-time finals coach agreed the Express couldn’t keep up with their determined opponents.

“Jong was right. Ginebra fought hard and they wanted it more." – GMANews.TV

nastrans
08-23-2008, 04:38 PM

Ginebra pa rin ang wagi!

Eh ano bang brand ang dinadala ng team ni Bert Lina sa PBA? Ube Media ba? I mean, Air 21 Express diba? So dapat sana related sa team ang mga posters or signs na binabandera ng mga fans nila/hatak. Common sense lang, Danding ang Henry Cojuangco owns Magnolia, Purefoods and Ginebra pero may nakita ka ba na posters related sa Magnolia Beverage Masters and Purefoods? Wala kasi ang lumalaban sa PBA championship eh Barangay Ginebra.

Tsaka, sige nga ano ba ang significance ng Ube Republic? Ano yun, pantapat sa Barangay Ginebra posters na naglipana sa Big Dome? Sos, ang CORNY naman nun. Ni wala nga sa kalingkingan ng Ginebra crowd ang tao ng Air21 then they will call themselves Ube Republic. Masyadong pilit. Corny sakin yun eh, so what's wrong with that?

Yan ang explanation hindi yung may halong insult anyway congrats na lang sa championship niyo.

As for UBE REPUBLIC, pilit siya but unofficial ploy lang yan kaya may UBE REPUBLIC sila, wala naman masama dun kahit pilit because they want to pull some new fans in to root for them and aminado naman lahat na kahit anung laro e Ginebra pa din ang susugod sa venue.

tigerman
08-23-2008, 05:09 PM
Congratulations to La Sallians JR Aquino, Willy Wilson, Sunday Salvacion, Paul Artadi, Macky Escalona, and to coaches Jong Uichico and Juno Sauler for winning the 2008 PBA Fiesta Cup championship.

OT:
Sir, nag-abot ba sa Lsgh si Paul at Macky?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

stonecold316
08-25-2008, 12:37 AM
Increased attendance marks PBA Fiesta Cup
08/24/2008 | 06:53 PM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
MANILA, Philippines – The championship series Barangay Ginebra won was a no.1 hit.

Gate-attendance reports added the entire tournament was a blockbuster as well.

The Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) recorded a marked increase in gate attendance in the Smart-PBA Fiesta Conference which was capped by a 122-percent hike in attendance in the best-of-seven title series won by the most league’s most popular ball club.

In a report based on ticket attendance released by the PBA, a total of 79,150 paying spectators watched the full seven games played by Ginebra and first-time finalist Air21.

A record 22,902 were at the Araneta Coliseum to watch Game Seven.

The seven-game total was 122 percent higher than the Fiesta Conference title series a year ago which Alaska won over Talk ’N Text also in seven games. The Alaska-Talk ’N Text series drew only a total of 35,700 patrons.

The average attendance per game in the Ginebra-Air21 series was 11,307.

But the championship round wasn’t the only stage that drew the crowds to the PBA venues.

For the entire Fiesta Conference, the PBA attracted 313,220 in-venue spectators, up 53 percent from last season’s Fiesta Conference (204,882). The average game-day crowd also had a significant increase from 3,659 last year to 5,400 this year.

“Definitely, the league couldn't have achieved another milestone without the support of the PBA fans," said PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios, who had just completed his first season as the league’s chief.

“And for that, we express our heartfelt thanks for their all-out support through all these years."

Barrios also mentioned his appreciation for the support the PBA Board had given him led by outgoing chairman Tony Chua of Red Bull.

Attendance in the eliminations totaled 199,305 in 45 games or an increase of 37 percent from last year. The average crowd per playing day was 4,429 or up by 31 percent from 2007.

In the best-of-seven semifinals, 34,765 paying fans trooped to the PBA venues, 44 percent higher than the number in the same stage of the tournament last year. – GMANews.TV

blueflu
08-30-2008, 03:08 AM
fact: it was mico halili who coined the term "ube republic" because purple/violet/ube is one of the colors that air21 carries.

sa_pula
09-02-2008, 08:49 PM
From Air21, you may choose from KG to Gabby to JC to Doug!

sabi ni sir than(smc insider) sa forum ng ginebra at magnolia sa pba.ph.. mukhang may niluluto ng trade bka si sunday kapalit