PDA

View Full Version : UAAP Season 71 Game 8: DLSU Green Archers vs. UE Red Warriors

bigfreeze_bibby
08-04-2008, 10:50 AM
The Green Archers will start their 2nd round campaign against their 1st round tormentors, the UE Red Warriors this Thursday. The Archers, still reeling and healing from that tough defeat which also resulted to injuries on Simon Atkins, Marko Batricevic, Rico Maierhofer, and James Mangahas, will face the ruthless and rugged Warriors who have shown too much aggression in their 1st round encounter to stop their own poor showing in the 1st round.

Playing probably minus Atkins and Batricevic, the Green Archer back court will be heavily decimated and might force Casio again to play heavy minutes in the point guard position. LA Revilla stepped up big time in their 1st round meeting but maybe this time around, should do more to relieve JV of his point guard roles. I can also see some minutes for Bader Malabes to do point guard duties for the Archers. Who knows? We might see a little bit of James Mangahas playing the point forward role for us in some situations.

As for my take, the main problem in the 1st round encounter was DLSU's energy and aggressiveness in both ends of the floor. Seeing two of your teammates suffering tough breaks resulting to hard injuries might have taken its toll in the Archers' minds and instead of being conscious in playing their game, they had to take care and mind their own well-being and health for every move that they'll do inside the floor to prevent them from suffering the same fate. If we want to win on Thursday, we should match their intensity and energy for 40 minutes.

This was fully-taken advantage by the Warriors as evident in the way they executed their pressure defense that it seemed all of them had full-steam throughout the game. The Archers just simply couldn't match the Warriors' energy throughout the game and added some lady luck on the side of UE as all of their long bombs dropped and swished through the net courtesy of Martinez, Zamar, Lee, and Lingganay. For the front court match-ups, only Maui Villanueva matched the hustle and tougness of the UE big men namely Thiele, Espiritu, and Llagas. I hope to see more of Ferdinand and Walsham battling it down low against those UE bigs for us
to win on Thursday.

I expect another slam-bang action on Thursday hopefully minus those nasty injuries. As we all know, the battles just get tougher in the 2nd round to position themselves for the twice to beat advantage in the final four. The keys to win for us are mental and emotional strength since these were the two factors that deserted us in our loss last time around and this was evident as early as in the first quarter. There won't be so much of an adjustment on the plays but I expect to see changes in the matchups due to our line-up adjustments because of the injuries. I hope to see a good start in our 2nd round encounter. Go La Salle Fight!

batangueño
08-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Defense, defense, defense.

That is, I guess, what the team should do when they again face the Warriors on Thursday (Sir Rush, Thursday po ang game natin). The Archers' main problem during the last La Salle-UE game was that their defense was so porous (perhaps everybody was still in shock with the injuries that Simon and Marko sustained then) UE shooters like Martinez, Lee and Zamar got the chance to sink in their three-pointers and UE big men Thiele, Llagas and Espiritu were able to sink their shots at close range.

I know La Salle will be entering the game with a depleted line-up as Simon would surely be missed at the point, making JV spending more time at the 1-spot instead of being at the 2, and the loss of Marko at the post decreased the team's ceiling. However, whatever the situation that the team is to right now, they have to fight on with determination and a winning attitude.

I hope that Rico would avoid loitering too often on the perimeter as he is now the team's tallest post player. I hope that the other bigs like Maui, PJ Walsham and, hopefully, Ferdinand to step up as well. I hope that PJ Barua, Bader, Hyram and James would be given better screens to get openings to fire shots and, at the same time, be very intelligent in their shot selection. I hope that LA would play the game of his rookie life in La Salle by doing good play-making and not allowing himself to be intimidated by taller defenders. Of course, I hope that JV, despite the sudden dual roles he has to play at the 1 and 2 spots, will be able to bring the winning attitude to the rest of the team through his good leadership.

eightyfiver
08-05-2008, 07:52 AM
It would be interesting to see how coach Franz will handle this next game in this virtual mini-series with UE. Yes, the Archers were dominated by the Warriors but they could build on what they did during the 4th qtr wherein they limited UE to just 6 points. Hopefully Mangahas and Rico will be able to play.

This is a close call.

oca
08-05-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't think Marko's absence will have a significant dent on DLSU. But Atkin's will. With his absence, masyadong mababaw ang rotation ni Franz sa uno. Dindo will exploit this and instruct his guards to be aggressive at both ends of the court. Full court pressure on the guards on DLSU. After LA and JV, I see no one in that bench who can play long competitive minutes as PG.

One can talk of other Archers at other positions who can step up and make up for what is lacking at the PG spot.

But if I am in the shoes of Dindo, I will keep it simple--- ATTACK THE DLSU BACKCOURT! Walang humpay!

bchoter
08-05-2008, 10:55 AM
DLSU could, probably, also step up its full court press to get their transition offense going and, thus, not require too much playmaking in the half court offense.

oca
08-05-2008, 11:10 AM
DLSU could, probably, also step up its full court press to get their transition offense going and, thus, not require too much playmaking in the half court offense.

I would consider a full-court press by DLSU a big gamble. To do so is to make your remaining PGs expel too much energy at both ends of the court.

Franz has one of the best half-court D in collegiate basketball. Di lang pansin dahil impressive yung full court at traps. But to reserve the guards for a 4th qtr blitz, half-court D, imo, would be the wise thing to do in the first 30 minutes. Gulatin ng trap or press, but not for long stretches.

Siya nga pala, bigyan nyo ng sarili at dedicated na oxygen tank si LA. Hirap na hirap ang katawan ng musmos sa pang-aabuso ng mga mama. ;D ;D ;D ;D

bchoter
08-05-2008, 11:29 AM
On LA, watching from the stands, I always knew if he's going to shoot or not. Kitang kita sa demeanor niya :D. And in fairness to the kid, if he decides to shoot it, more often than not, he makes them. He misses when he gets tentative.

GHRanger
08-05-2008, 12:04 PM
^ or if he gets sandwiched somewhere. (i've seen this a couple of times.)

As Oca says, the backcourt will be an issue for DLSU. Dehado talaga with LA and JVee. DLSU will have to find its way through halfcourt defense and offense. Dikit lang sana ang labanan tapos ibuhos na lahat sa 4th! :D

Good luck to both teams.

glock23
08-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Dlsu will take this game without a doubt. With So many injuries to DLSU and UE playing their best game of the season and only winning by 6? dindo shouldnt be too happy with that. ;)

LION
08-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Siya nga pala, bigyan nyo ng sarili at dedicated na oxygen tank si LA. Hirap na hirap ang katawan ng musmos sa pang-aabuso ng mga mama. ;D ;D ;D ;D

I saw that too! Hingal kabayo si LA. ;D

The_Big_Cat
08-05-2008, 05:15 PM
If La Salle is going to win vs UE, they will need Malabes, Bagatsing and Barua to explode from the perimeter to offset the perimeter shooting of UE's main gunmen.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Ayoko lang makita ulit yung larong takot attitude ng DLSU and everything will be okay.

nel
08-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Agreed, they have to be aggressive and try to impose their game on UE, otherwise if they allow UE to play their game, our boys will always be in the reactive mode.

glock23
08-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Ayoko lang makita ulit yung larong takot attitude ng DLSU and everything will be okay.

Nope, kelan ba natakot ang mga bata natin? NEVER! UE played the best game of their season so far by making 10 or more from beyond the arc. Aside from that nothing special! Both teams played excellent pressure defense which was expected anyway. We unfortunately lost Atkins early and they capitalized on the backcourt weakness. Franz this time knows what to do since he is a master at making do with the players that he has. I have seen how hungry and motivated the boys are during practice and expect them to go for the kill! Barring anything untowards like more injuries...this game is ours!

tigerman
08-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Maierhofer should be aggressive and lessen his attempts from spots way beyond his range.

Last game vs. UE, I saw a lot of shots na panira na but he elected to pass the ball at the last moment.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Rektikano
08-06-2008, 09:24 AM

I would consider a full-court press by DLSU a big gamble. To do so is to make your remaining PGs expel too much energy at both ends of the court.

Franz has one of the best half-court D in collegiate basketball. Di lang pansin dahil impressive yung full court at traps. But to reserve the guards for a 4th qtr blitz, half-court D, imo, would be the wise thing to do in the first 30 minutes. Gulatin ng trap or press, but not for long stretches.

The thing is, Franz is a stickler to his system. It frustrates to see when teams break the trap and score in 5, 6 or 7 seconds and the next type of defense is still the same trap. I don't know, maybe it's the players who are missing defensive assignments in the trap but as you said, it is still better to mix a tough halfcourt D with a variety of full court traps.

With regards to the shallow backcourt, there is no more choice but for Bader and Hyram to step up and help. Jayvee is needed in the scoring department and he can't be tasked to bring down the ball everytime. Basketball pundits will know there is a way of bringing the ball frontcourt with minimal play from the point guard. Ball movement and proper player positioning are keys here. It's just like breaking a full court press.

bigfreeze_bibby
08-06-2008, 10:20 AM

Nope, kelan ba natakot ang mga bata natin? NEVER! UE played the best game of their season so far by making 10 or more from beyond the arc. Aside from that nothing special! Both teams played excellent pressure defense which was expected anyway. We unfortunately lost Atkins early and they capitalized on the backcourt weakness. Franz this time knows what to do since he is a master at making do with the players that he has. I have seen how hungry and motivated the boys are during practice and expect them to go for the kill! Barring anything untowards like more injuries...this game is ours!

glock, you know what I'm talking about here. Obvious na naglarong ingat ang mga bata nung Saturday thinking that the string of bad luck in injuries might hit them next. Ang daming lay-up na na-miss that should have been easily made in. Why? It's because kulang na sa aggressiveness ang mga bata e. Natakot na baka sila ang susunod na ma-injure sa floor because they can't match up UE aggressiveness in that game na kulang na lang e pumatay sila ng tao just to get that all-important 4th win of the season.

That's my point in what I've said. Kahit na maubos ang tao mo dahil nai-injure sila, wag dapat ma-trauma ang mga bata, play hard and aggressive pa rin dapat, match UE's intensity, kung handa silang pumatay to beat us, ganun din dapat attitude natin. That's what I am saying na wag magpakita ng larong takot at maingat. Mental toughness ang kailangan natin to win these type of ballgames na parang pating na naka-amoy ng dugo ang kalaban mo. Everyone knows that both teams love to press, but the one who'll play smarter and tougher will win the game.

glock23
08-06-2008, 02:15 PM

glock, you know what I'm talking about here. Obvious na naglarong ingat ang mga bata nung Saturday thinking that the string of bad luck in injuries might hit them next. Ang daming lay-up na na-miss that should have been easily made in. Why? It's because kulang na sa aggressiveness ang mga bata e. Natakot na baka sila ang susunod na ma-injure sa floor because they can't match up UE aggressiveness in that game na kulang na lang e pumatay sila ng tao just to get that all-important 4th win of the season.

That's my point in what I've said. Kahit na maubos ang tao mo dahil nai-injure sila, wag dapat ma-trauma ang mga bata, play hard and aggressive pa rin dapat, match UE's intensity, kung handa silang pumatay to beat us, ganun din dapat attitude natin. That's what I am saying na wag magpakita ng larong takot at maingat. Mental toughness ang kailangan natin to win these type of ballgames na parang pating na naka-amoy ng dugo ang kalaban mo. Everyone knows that both teams love to press, but the one who'll play smarter and tougher will win the game.

oh ok, thats what you meant pala. Got you bro! Atin ito bukas!

bchoter
08-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Ika nga ni pareng oca, every strong team has a good run in them. DLSU managed to pull within 6 because they have it in them. However, the lack of personnel made that run short. If only they did not come from such a huge deficit.

DLSU must extend its rotation to as many players as possible to make sure that the regulars are fresh come the crucial stages of the game. If the Archers manage to stay close they will win this. For selfish reasons, I hope they will.

The_Big_Cat
08-07-2008, 12:51 PM
I would like to see PJ Barua and Rico start this game. And let James Mangahas come off the bench.
Si Rico kailangan makuha niya ang groove niya as early as possible.

Semenelin
08-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Makikisingit lng po:

Para sa mga hindi nakakapanuod ng live tulad ko -> http://www.bask3tball.com/live-update/UAAP71-DLSU-vs-UE-Rd2.2.html

GHRanger
08-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Congratulations Archers!

DLSU 70 - UE 62.

The_Big_Cat
08-07-2008, 06:39 PM
La Salle executed to perfection their offense today.

LA Revilla did a splendid job quarterbacking the offense of La Salle. JV Casio was his usual self today as he poured in 20 plus points.
La Salle did an excellent job of running the ball pouring in fastbreak points after another. Mostly after forcing turnovers.

Barua and Mangahas shot the ball extremely well. While Malabes and Bagatsing were somewhat erratic today.
Villanueva and Mendoza provided hustle in the paint coming off the bench.

batangueño
08-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Congratulations to the Archers for winning today's ball game against the Warriors.

Everything was executed very well today. LA was great at the point, although he had some "bakaw" moments, but then if not for his very nice play-making, the offense of DLSU would not be that good. Super JV was our main offensive machine despite having to juggle duties at the 1 and 2 spots. PJ Barua and James played really well, so were Maui and Jovet.

Rico was not on his usual self today, so were Hyram, Bader and PJ Walsham.

Still, a great game by the undermanned but fighting and winning La Salle men's basketball team. :)

AN1MO LA SALLE!

stonecold316
08-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Home > Sports > Top Stories UAAP: La Salle trips UE, 71-60
08/07/2008 | 06:35 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us MANILA, Philippines – The defending champion La Salle Green Archers tripped the University of the East (UE) Red Warriors in Thursday’s University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) men’s basketball tournament at the Araneta Coliseum.

JV Casio led the Green Archers’ scoring tallying 25 points to help the Taft-based dribblers to a second-best 6-2 record, just half-a-game behind the league-leading Ateneo Eagles’ 6-1 mark. – GMANews.TV

cub
08-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Superb game from Jvee Casio. i think he has a very strong chance on winning the MVP plum. he now leads the league in scoring with 16.3ppg together with his 4rpg and 3.2apg.

the DLSU bench were there to support Casio. Rico had 11points, Peejay had 9 and LA had 4assists. i like the way this kid plays, those dribbles, crossovers, nifty passes. but one thing i don't like about LA is that he commit many errors. hopefully, he could lessen this as the season progresses. :)

LION
08-08-2008, 08:22 AM
LA is a much better point guard than Atkins. Atkins is just taller, bigger and more of an athlete, which is the complete opposite of LA. But the way they run the offense of the Green Archers, LA is way better in spite of the fact that LA is just a rookie.

eustacia
08-08-2008, 10:10 AM
Atkins is a true point-guard who looks to pass first before shooting. Parang Mac Cuan before.

L.A. Revilla is good especially for a rookie, but even with his 8 assists, there were so many instances when he just took the play into his own hands and went straight for the basket.

For crunchtime, I would still go for Atkins.

glock23
08-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Atkins is a true point-guard who looks to pass first before shooting. Parang Mac Cuan before.

L.A. Revilla is good especially for a rookie, but even with his 8 assists, there were so many instances when he just took the play into his own hands and went straight for the basket.

For crunchtime, I would still go for Atkins.

Remember LA Revilla is just a rookie, give him a little bit more playing time and he will not be committing those mistakes. he is pretty solid in directing the offense yesterday. Good job Archers!

batangueño
08-08-2008, 04:30 PM
LA is still in his freshman year in DLSU. Give him more time and I am pretty sure that he will learn to become more mature in manning the point. ;)

ArcherAdictant
08-08-2008, 09:03 PM
LaSalle played a good game! Animo! :)