PDA

View Full Version : Reminiscing PBA's glory days

pepman
08-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Do you remember any old memories about the PBA?

Any.

Howard the Duck
08-02-2008, 08:37 PM
noong araw di pa uso ang "through the years"

123defense
10-04-2008, 01:37 PM
i only start watching d pba in the 90's when the sunkist won its pba championship with meneses leading them and the grandslam of alaska..

nash_bedista
10-04-2008, 02:32 PM
i start watching PBA because of my dad. His Favorite team dat time is Purefoods
led by Dindo Pumaren, Alvin Patrimonio, Rey Evagelista, Jerry Codinera and Glen Capacio.

Then my team that time is San Miguel. Because during that time, San Miguel Beermen
has a lineup of Role Players like Mike Mustre, Freddie Abuda, Art Dela Cruz etc.. and
their only main man is Nelson Asaytono.

bchoter
10-05-2008, 12:03 AM
I started watching basketball because during PBA playing days I had no choice :D

Dark Knight
10-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Purefoods playing/coach Fernandez was suspended by the management due to game fixing daw. That was early 90's

The famous "barok" look of paras after slugging it out with Ginebra.

My favorite team Tanduay, nearing the Grand Slam but was stopped by the Bates/hackett tandem in the 3rd conference of 86. Tanduay players then were Freddie Hubalde, Mon Fernandez, Onchie Dela Cruz, Willie Generalao, Zaldy Latoza, Ely Capacio, Padim Israel, coached by former FEU and SSC coach Turo Valenzona.

ilovedhay
10-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Alaska got the Grandslam title during 1996.

The_Big_Cat
10-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Purefoods playing/coach Fernandez was suspended by the management due to game fixing daw. That was early 90's

The famous "barok" look of paras after slugging it out with Ginebra.

My favorite team Tanduay, nearing the Grand Slam but was stopped by the Bates/hackett tandem in the 3rd conference of 86. Tanduay players then were Freddie Hubalde, Mon Fernandez, Onchie Dela Cruz, Willie Generalao, Zaldy Latoza, Ely Capacio, Padim Israel, coached by former FEU and SSC coach Turo Valenzona.

This was in the 2nd conference of 1988 (All-Filipino Conference). By the third conference of 1988, Mon Fernandez was traded to San Miguel in exchange for Abet Guidaben.

Dark Knight
10-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks or the correction. Im really old at walang pinag katandaan. ;D

makotosing
11-17-2008, 07:50 AM
i startd watching pba and playing basketball nung panahon pa ni tony harris, swift pa yung team nya

Emon74
11-19-2008, 07:10 PM
I followed the games regularly starting the third conference of 1985 pero may alaala na din ko sa Crispa-Toyota.

Regular Grey
11-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Nung na Disband ang Crispa, karamihan sa players nila lumipat sa Shell Azocord.

skywalker
11-20-2008, 03:42 AM
I only started watching the PBA during the 1976 season. During those times up to early 80's, larong barako talaga ang PBA, well, even the MICAA, NCAA, UAAP ay ganun din. Indeed, the 70's were the glorious days not only of the PBA but also basketball in general.

The_Big_Cat
11-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Nung na Disband ang Crispa, karamihan sa players nila lumipat sa Shell Azocord.

Nakapanood ako ng 1985 All-Filipino Conference Finals matchup sa ULTRA, Shell Azodrin vs Great Taste.
Former Crispa players Philip Cezar and William Adornado played on that Shell Azodrin team.
Unfortunately, nilampaso ng Great Taste (coached by former Crispa mentor Baby Dalupan) ang Shell Azodrin.

Buhay pa nga hanggang ngayon yung blue banner flag ng Shell Azodrin na binigay noong game. ;D

ej_josef
11-20-2008, 03:00 PM
ako I started watching PBA noong championship ng Crispa -Toyota with Crispa's import was snake jones tapos sa toyota naman sila andrew fields and bruce sky king... pero hindi kapatid ni abe king... hahahahah.. it's really been so long... ano na kaya nangyari sa mga imports na yun? ???

Emon74
11-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Delayed telecast pa ang first game nun 1985 and may mga inabangan din ko sa radyo na slightly delayed on TV, In 1987 All Filipino when Ginebra ousted Tanduay sa semis race and the Hills Bros-Ginebra KO Game sa third conference of '87 for the right to meet San Miguel sa Finals.

the best talaga ang 80s, post Crispa-Toyota, from '85-'89, there were only 6-7 teams, exciting ang mga laro nun panahon na yun, the imports were super, at mga homegrown talents can shoot well from the outside, watching the PBA today looks dry. mas excited pa ko reminiscing those good old days.

dioning
11-30-2008, 11:30 PM
yun mga rambulan ng ginebra at great taste

The_Big_Cat
12-01-2008, 11:34 AM
yun mga rambulan ng ginebra at great taste

Ito yata yung kay Philip Cezar(Anejo) at Aldo Perez (Great Taste).

KobeWanKenobi
12-03-2008, 10:56 PM
The reason why the PBA's dry nowadays is that it misses two major components the glory days had.

1. Rivalries - Rivalries draw the crowds because everyone wants to see who would win. Toyota-Crispa, Ginebra-Tanduay, Ginebra-Shell, Ginebra-Purefoods, these rivalries made the news and brought the passion out from the players.

Plus, with a rivalry, fans have to take sides. Either you're Crispa or Toyota. There's almost no neutral ground when there's a rivalry.

2. Big name stars - It seems like big name stars are really once in a generation. In the PBA, there have only been three big names, Jaworski, Patrimonio and Samboy. These big three had legions of fans and supporters who were idolized by everyone.

Now, there's no big name star. Sure there are popular players now, but none have reached the stratospheric heights accorded to Jawo, Alvin and Samboy.

Emon74
12-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Mas na sundan ko pa mga games in the 80s than in the 90s, siguro isa rin factor yun birth ng cable TV in the mid 90s kaya na divide attention ko sa panood.

ilan sa mga nakatanim na sa isipan ko mga exciting na laro, if only the PBA still had tapes on this games,,

1986 Open - unang laban ng Ginebra at Manila Beer, both teams sport a 3-0 won-loss slate, its Billy Ray Bates going up against Michael Young, naalala ko pa when Young got the better of Bates in the third period, after Bates hit a triple, sinagot ni Young with his own triple at may follow up na dunk pa si Young in one sequence to the delight of the fans, sa 4th.Qrt lamang na Manila Beer 106-97 and the seemingly unbeatable-Ginebra looks headed for its first loss, Hackett converted a three point play to cut the lead to six, with the score 108-102, dalawang sunod na three point shot ni Bates tied the score, after a split free throw by Manila Beer, Bates scored again at lumamang Ginebra 110-109 and on a fastbreak, Atoy Co missed an easy layup resulting to two free throws by Ginebra off a foul, Bates and Hackett jumped and exchange high fives to each other, sabi pa ng commentator "it was like a championship" nanalo pa Ginebra 113-109 as Bates even got the rebound after he missed his second free throw.

the "almost comeback" 1989 Open

2nd.round ng eliminations, laban ng Alaska at Purefoods, the hotdogs were parading a new import in Perry Moss while Carl Lott played his last game sa Alaska (he was to be replaced by Sean Chambers) lamang Alaska 121-103 in the 4th. when Jolas hit back to back triples to start the rally, nakadikit Purefoods to just two at 127-125 when Solis hit a three point shot, pero ang galing lang talaga ni bong alvarez, he just made a difficult basket to gave Alaska a 4 point cushion, the milkmen won the game, 131-129 as the hotdogs failed to foul and stopped the clock. Purefoods scored 51 points in the final quarter!

hopefully sa mga succeding posts, i'd share more of these memorable PBA games na natandaan ko.* * * *

pio_valenz
12-12-2008, 08:12 PM
heto, mga blast from the past:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4XCAWANDXs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uKBOyz8Qss&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nQpzf8BqSE&feature=related

Commentators for the first two links were Pinggoy Pengson, Andy Jao and Steve Kattan (remember him?).

Commentators for the third link were Joe Cantada and Andy Jao.

Even though I was a diehard Toyota fan, I must say, watching these clips, Crispa was a very, very good team. They hardly missed! Lots of other clips like this in YouTube.

Emon74
02-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Mga PBA games i've watch live at the ULTRA and Cuneta Astrodome.

laban ng Purefoods at Alaska, crucial semifinals game, 1991 All-filipino, buzzer-beating layup ni Elmer Reyes, kala ko talo na Purefoods, down by 6, 96-102, less than two minutes, 8-0 windup, including Reyes' winning basket, panalo 104-102.

opening ng 1991 3rd conference, Alaska-Pepsi first game, main game napanood ko live ang Swift mighty meaty, bago team name ng RFM, laban sa Ginebra, si Matthews, former Lakers, laban kay Upshaw, naglaro din once sa Celtics, asar-talo mga Swift fans katabi ko sa lower level seats, they keep yelling Ginebra nananalo lang pag may import, when a timeout was called, the pro-Ginebra crowd from the gallery look at the Swift fans galit na galit sa kanila. Ginebra easily won that game.

Bruticus
02-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Who would forget the highly physical plays of Jawo and the Anejo Rum 65ers during the 1989-90 seasons, and their rabid fans who often threw the now classic octagon shaped 2 peso coins whenever they felt they got bum calls. Anejo's style of play reminded me of the Detroit Pistons who were also pulverizing their opponents with their physical and at times rough play. And of course the brass bands.

danny
02-08-2009, 04:10 AM
Crispa - Toyota pa din. ;D

Emon74
02-14-2009, 02:59 PM
the 25th season, 1999 was the last taste of glory sa PBA. from there, Fil-Ams lorded it over the league since the new millennium.

amdgc82
04-09-2009, 11:21 AM
THE LAST INDEPENDENT COMMISSIONER
Remembering Leo Prieto
By Musong R. Castillo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 04:47:00 04/09/2009

MANILA, Philippines – Leo Prieto’s greatness will not be measured merely by the extolling words that flowed – and will continue to flow – during his wake, but also by the memories of the extent that people went to please the man.

Prieto passed on Tuesday afternoon after a lingering illness. He suffered a stroke two weeks ago and never recovered from it. The league’s commissioner was cremated Tuesday evening and his remains are at the Capilla San Francisco of the Sanctuario de San Antonio in Forbes Park. Interment will be at 10 a.m. today.

The PBA’s founding commissioner is known to be the only PBA chief to have commanded the respect of an entire ego-filled board of governors with no trace of bias for or against any member.

And one amusing anecdote proved that.

The story was told several times to this writer by another late commissioner, Emilio “Jun” Bernardino, the only man who overtook Prieto in terms of years served as PBA commissioner.

During Prieto’s stint as commissioner, one of his most frequent visitors at his office was Nono Ibazeta, the former San Miguel representative to the league’s board who was one of the most outspoken board members there was and who never minced words on how bad the officiating was.

According to Bernardino, Prieto summoned Ibazeta to a meeting one day to discuss his issues with officiating. Prieto arrived at the PBA office in Ortigas before the designated time only to find out that the San Miguel executive was still not there.

Prieto made a call to Ibazeta, who tried to beg off from the meeting because of pressing matters in his office. Prieto then gave Ibazeta an ultimatum: If he was not in the office in 15 minutes, the league was going to fine him and his team.

Getting from the San Miguel building to the PBA office in Ortigas in 15 minutes in those days was easy, but what made this story funny was that when Ibazeta arrived, the elevator in the building was under repair.

So, to make the deadline imposed by the great commissioner, Ibazeta had to walk up eight floors to be able to meet with Prieto, who, in turn, appreciated Ibazeta’s efforts, listened to the San Miguel representative, and spared him of a fine.

That was the legacy that Prieto left the PBA – the independence of his office that up to now has remained unmatched.

“He never took bullshit from anyone, not even members of the board, especially if the interests of the PBA were concerned,” said Tommy Manotoc, the grand slam winning coach who sat as board member of U-Tex in those days.

“His integrity was beyond reproach and that characterized the man.”

“Commissioner Leo set the bar of commissioners (in the PBA) so high that no one from among those who succeeded him will ever be able to match it,” present commissioner Sonny Barrios told the Philippine Daily Inquirer over the phone yesterday.

Prieto was also the only commissioner that tendered his resignation after each year only to be rejected by the board each time.

Ironically, the last time Prieto tendered his resignation, at the end of the 1983 season, it was Ibazeta who spoke in front of the board and promised Prieto that he would not say anything bad about officiating again if only he’ll stay.

Perhaps even then, Ibazeta already knew that the man who was about to step away from the PBA would eventually turn out to be the greatest commissioner to ever handle the league.

redlampard
04-12-2009, 04:30 AM
Nung nagchampion ung Gordon's (Ginebra) against Alaska nung 97. Pilay pa ung import ng Gordon's na c Chris King. The most memorable eh ung song ni Gary Granada nung tapos na ung game at pinapakita na ung credits ng telecast. Take note, iba ung version ni Bayang Barrios. Does anybody have the lyrics? ;D

Emon74
04-27-2011, 03:46 PM
We could now reminiscent PBA's glory days, check out the Great Taste-Magnolia 1985 Open Finals Game 6 on Youtube uploaded by no less than the Great Quick Brown Fox, Ricardo Brown.

Also, for those who have access on Pinoy Extreme Channel, kindly help recorded those games and uploaded it on Youtube for the benefit of those who dont have Destiny cable, (it pains to be a skycable subscriber with the showing of PBA old games on Destiny channel) i've read that some 1984 matches featuring teams like Gilbey's and Beer Hausen will be shown next month.

Jeep
04-29-2011, 01:25 PM
maybe it's just me, but destiny's always been more "basketball-friendly." one of the reasons why i moved to destiny was to get BTV. for a brief period, BTV disappeared from destiny but it didn't take long for it to come back after solar's tiff with ABS-CBN took a turn for the worse.

i was surprised to see that pinoy extreme channel on the upper reaches of the UTV frequency on destiny just last wednesday, maybe an '04-'05 out-of-town game between TnT and red bull -- sinabay pa sa live telecast ng game 1 ng current finals! ;)

i will definitely hang out on pinoy extreme more often, hoping to see ricardo brown/norman black/allan caidic games from way back when -- complete with the short shorts! ;D

RedArmyColonel
04-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Nung nagchampion ung Gordon's (Ginebra) against Alaska nung 97. Pilay pa ung import ng Gordon's na c Chris King. The most memorable eh ung song ni Gary Granada nung tapos na ung game at pinapakita na ung credits ng telecast. Take note, iba ung version ni Bayang Barrios. Does anybody have the lyrics? ;D

Tanda ko to. Yung mga bitter na mga kaibigan ko na maka-Alaska sabi scripted daw yung pagkapanalo ng Gordon's. Obvious daw dahil may kanta na ginawa. LOL!

genom222
08-12-2011, 08:41 PM
maybe it's just me, but destiny's always been more "basketball-friendly." one of the reasons why i moved to destiny was to get BTV. for a brief period, BTV disappeared from destiny but it didn't take long for it to come back after solar's tiff with ABS-CBN took a turn for the worse.

i was surprised to see that pinoy extreme channel on the upper reaches of the UTV frequency on destiny just last wednesday, maybe an '04-'05 out-of-town game between TnT and red bull -- sinabay pa sa live telecast ng game 1 ng current finals! ;)

i will definitely hang out on pinoy extreme more often, hoping to see ricardo brown/norman black/allan caidic games from way back when -- complete with the short shorts! ;D

Chanel 83 in Destiny or Extreme is fast becoming on of my favorite channels! I just saw today Game 1 of the 1999? Governor's Cup, SM vs Purefoods, and wow I cant believe matagal na panahon na pala yun! Nasa prime pa ng careers sila Danny I, Danny S, Olsen Racela, Belasco and effective pa nun si Cap Patrimonio. Plus imports Lamont Strotters and Brown for Purefoods. Danny S scored like 14 points in the 4Q and getting a number of dunks in the process (one of which was a sweet bounce pass from Olsen to a fast breaking Seigle for a dynamite slam with the PF import defending)

Still cant believe I'm now calling these games classics, parang kailan lang :)

keempee
10-05-2011, 02:32 PM
starting oct 16, they will be showing 3 crispa-toyota games, including an abe king-atoy co shootout. you'll also get to see fields, koonce, arnaiz's looping layup, mr. stretch, etc. also on tap are crispa games against royal, presto, and tanduay. there is also a game against u-tex, pero ala pa sked. ibang iba pa laro at coaching/playing philosophy nung time na yon.

reforms
10-08-2011, 08:57 AM
It was my elder brother who got me in watching the PBA. Sabi nya Shell daw sya kasi nandun sina Paras at Magsanoc. Second team daw nya ang San Miguel dahil kina Samboy at Ato. (Bilang mas matanda, magulang talaga dahil malalaks ang mga teams na yun ng panahon na yun). Ung isa kong kuya inassign nya na Ginebra dahil kina Jawo at Distrito at Alaska dahil kina Jolas at Jun Reyes. Ako Purefoods daw, andun naman sina Alvin at Jerry. Second team ko daw Swift/Presto dahil kay Vergel.

Simula noon, nanonood na kami at ginagaya namin pag naglalaro kami.

Sayang lang at di na kagaya ng dati na talagang binibigay ng lahat ng mga players pag naglalaro.

Iba talaga dati.

maroonmartian
10-08-2011, 08:52 PM
My team when I am starting to play and love the sports is the Alaska Aces of Abarrientos, Lastimosa, Duremdes era. Oo malakas kung malakas pero iba rin kasi diskarte ni Coach Tim Cone.I used to hate Ginebra (ngayon inis na lang because of MC47) and treat the other teams like San Miguel as a villains. By the way,I came from the province and during that time, RPN 9 (or IBC 13 I am not sure) has a good reception. Mahina nga nun ABS-CBN. Then naging baliktad. Came the UAAP on Studio 23 (by that time malakas na signal nila).Makes we wonder why some probinsiyanos like me have little faith for PBA for their little blunders on their choice of network. Pero pag may PBA game naman sa amin talagang tinatao.

Pahabol: When PBA choose to air their games at TV5 (owned then by Tony Boy Cojuangco), there is a resurgence for PBA in the province. Now if the PBA could just remember that.

maroonmartian
10-12-2011, 02:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEY1w5RRyAM

A good review on Pinoy Basketball by Lourd de Veyra. He raises some points on the causes for PBA's alleged decline. My analysis as a member of a younger generation is there are declines but we are in a new PBA "GLORY DAYS". Di lang tayo siguro sanay.

tigerman
10-14-2011, 09:33 PM
You know the PBA is in a terrible state when you see Tim Cone coaching a SMC team - one of the very vocal kontrabidas of the smc/mvp pambababoy ng pba. What is next? Yeng guiao coaching tnt or meralco?

Honestly, I lost a lot of respect for tim cone. What a sellout move by him.

genom222
10-15-2011, 12:31 AM
You know the PBA is in a terrible state when you see Tim Cone coaching a SMC team - one of the very vocal kontrabidas of the smc/mvp pambababoy ng pba. What is next? Yeng guiao coaching tnt or meralco?

Honestly, I lost a lot of respect for tim cone. What a sellout move by him.

well we don't know the whole story so I wouldn't judge his decision just yet. For all we know he just wanted a new challenge. Doing the same job for 20 years tends to bore you and dilute your talents.

OT: sana naman palabas yung mga tunay na "greatest games" sa extreme channel, yung iba kahit tambakan consider pa rin nila na greatest. Ano yun?? Dapat palabas yung mga games na may buzzer beaters or career games.

maroonmartian
10-15-2011, 06:57 AM
^ Oo nga. Mahirap sa AKTV palabas ang mga PBA's greatest games. Too little TV airtime. I think AKTV should be bought by MVP. MAGANDA ginagawa nila sa PBA.

Watched recently and IMO, THERE IS A NEW PBA GLORY DAYS being charted by Gilas boys and former college stars.

james_ty
10-17-2011, 01:17 PM
A Crispa vs Toyota game will be shown tonight at 8:30 pm on Greatest Games. Check Destiny Cable Channel 83 where Pinoy Extreme is located.

bchoter
10-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Blast from the past: Saw Manny Paner, the PBA's first franchise player, at Gerry's Grill near ABS-CBN looking fit and dapper in short-sleeved barong

Joescoundrel
10-25-2011, 02:45 PM
By the time I could really appreciate the game, the great Crispa-Toyota franchises were already waning, the last hurrah coming from that 1983 grand slam team of Tommy Manotoc's. So most of my real basketball PBA memories already came around 1985 to the present. I'd take 1989 as a truly historic year, since that was after all when Benjie Paras became the league's first rookie-MVP, and he had indeed taken the game into the modern slam-dunking age. This was also the time that Alvin Patrimonio would establish himself as the second-best player of his generation en route to four MVP Awards. Sorry, Cap. But the Tower of Power to me is still the best player of your era. He did after all reject you and then Jerry Codinera in consecutive plays during a Shell-Purefood tiff.

As good as you two were though, the likes of Samboy Lim, Allan Caidic and Hector Calma were the true lords of the league in those days. While Paras was named MVP, the year 1989 was also the year a team other than Crispa completed a PBA grand slam, the San Miguel franchise of Norman Black. That forever cemented Black's reputation as a great coach.

Other memorable PBA Moments of that era for me include the first La Tondena franchise championship when Billy Ray Bates and Michael Hacket teamed up as imports under Sonny Jaworski to win the 1986 Open Conference. The 1988 All Filipino championship won by Ginebra over a powerful Purefoods squad was also memorable. Hindi naman halatang Ginebra fan ako ano...?

What years were the Bruise Brothers of Yoyoy Villamin and Ricky Relosa together in Alaska...? Marte Saldana was on that Alaska team as well right, and a then-wavy haired Frankie Lim?

fujitsu
10-25-2011, 08:15 PM
sir joe, medy OT pero the new asst coach of LA Lakers, a certain Ham once played here in the PBA? Ginebra I think.

maroonmartian
10-26-2011, 09:43 AM
sir joe, medy OT pero the new asst coach of LA Lakers, a certain Ham once played here in the PBA? Ginebra I think.

It's Darvin Ham who played for Talk and Text also. He played and won a championship in Detroit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darvin_Ham

Disappointing considering slam dunking monster siya. Matigas din pala mga sentro natin.

fujitsu
10-26-2011, 10:28 PM
a compliment to pba coaches and players alike. really... ;D

Joescoundrel
10-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Fashion in general cycles, would this ever happen in the PBA...?

In other words, nauso na naman ang "skinny jeans", magbalik kaya ang short-shorts...?

maroonmartian
10-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Tingin ko nasa "Glory Days" ang PBA ngayon ngayon. We're becoming strong again. Tingin ko ang pagtangkad ng mga bata nagpapakita na nagiimprove naman ng konti ang ekonomiya natin.

If Talk and Text hired Javale Mcgee next conference, I am expecting this very tall lineup:

C- Javale Mcgee (7'0)
PF- Japeth Aguilar (6'10)
SF- Kelly Williams/ Ranidel Ocampo (6'7/6'6)
SG- Larry Fonacier? (6'2-6'3)
PG- Ryan Reyes (6'1)

Emon74
01-04-2012, 09:00 AM
By the time I could really appreciate the game, the great Crispa-Toyota franchises were already waning, the last hurrah coming from that 1983 grand slam team of Tommy Manotoc's. So most of my real basketball PBA memories already came around 1985 to the present. I'd take 1989 as a truly historic year, since that was after all when Benjie Paras became the league's first rookie-MVP, and he had indeed taken the game into the modern slam-dunking age. This was also the time that Alvin Patrimonio would establish himself as the second-best player of his generation en route to four MVP Awards. Sorry, Cap. But the Tower of Power to me is still the best player of your era. He did after all reject you and then Jerry Codinera in consecutive plays during a Shell-Purefood tiff.

As good as you two were though, the likes of Samboy Lim, Allan Caidic and Hector Calma were the true lords of the league in those days. While Paras was named MVP, the year 1989 was also the year a team other than Crispa completed a PBA grand slam, the San Miguel franchise of Norman Black. That forever cemented Black's reputation as a great coach.

Other memorable PBA Moments of that era for me include the first La Tondena franchise championship when Billy Ray Bates and Michael Hacket teamed up as imports under Sonny Jaworski to win the 1986 Open Conference. The 1988 All Filipino championship won by Ginebra over a powerful Purefoods squad was also memorable. Hindi naman halatang Ginebra fan ako ano...?

What years were the Bruise Brothers of Yoyoy Villamin and Ricky Relosa together in Alaska...? Marte Saldana was on that Alaska team as well right, and a then-wavy haired Frankie Lim?

I believe the best years of the league came at the time of 6 teams from 1986-1989 where all squads were evenly balance, unlike during the Crispa-Toyota era wherein both powerhouses would contend to the championship each conferences.

The Bruise Brothers tag came in 1987, whoever invented it, Joe Cantada, Quinito Henson or any sportswriter may have gotten the idea from the team name itself, Hills Bros or Hills Brothers.

MonL
01-04-2012, 10:21 AM
I believe the best years of the league came at the time of 6 teams from 1986-1989 where all squads were evenly balance, unlike during the Crispa-Toyota era wherein both powerhouses would contend to the championship each conferences.

The Bruise Brothers tag came in 1987, whoever invented it, Joe Cantada, Quinito Henson or any sportswriter may have gotten the idea from the team name itself, Hills Bros or Hills Brothers.

The "Bruise Brothers" tag actually was copied from and originally referred to the George Gervin-era San Antonio Spurs in the 80s which had an imposing frontline anchored mainly on 6'11" center Dave Corzine, 6'9" forward Mark Olberding, and 6'11" shotblocker George Johnson. It was broken up after Corzine and Olberding was sent to Chicago for 7'2" center Artis Gilmore. The name was a knock-off from the hit movie then, "The Blues Brothers" featuring Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi :)

Other NBA teams had their own versions, such as the Washington Bullets with the "Beef Brothers" 6'11" tandem of Rick Mahorn and Jeff Ruland, and the Seattle Supersonics with their "Winnebago Wall" composed of 6'8 forward Lonnie Shelton, 6'11 Jack Sikma and 7'2" James Donaldson, and of course, the Celtics with their original "Big 3" of Bird, Parish and McHale.

To stay on topic, IIRC, no other team had a tag like Relosa and Villamin had. "Batman and Robin" was tried on Jawo and Francis Arnaiz, but that tag didn't really sell since Arnaiz shared equal billng with Jaworski and Fernandez.

wahsuck
01-07-2012, 05:29 PM
now the "Bruise Brother's" of the PBA is the Extra Rice Incorporated of ROSE. :D Belga and Quinahan.

On Topic: up to now I still remember the layup of Nelson Asaytono which was featured "ata" sa Star Sports. :D