PDA

View Full Version : UAAP Season 71 Game 6: DLSU Green Archers vs. UP Fighting Maroons

bigfreeze_bibby
07-25-2008, 11:29 AM
After claiming Adamson as its fourth straight victim, the De La Salle Green Archers will now shoot for its fifth straight win as they face the UP Fighting Maroons, out to stop their skid this season after winning their opener against the winless NU Bulldogs. The well-oiled machine of the Archers will be poised to take another win tomorrow after seeing UP drop all its past four games with wide margins. Overconfidence will draw the Archers into a defeat should they take the Maroons lightly.

Martin Reyes, Arvin Braganza, and Paul Sorongon can provide the spark that the Maroons need from the backcourt and these are tall guards/forwards can light up anytime from the perimeter and pose problems for the Archers should the backcourt relax. The problem for UP is that their lone inside scorer is quite undersized in the mold of Jay Agbayani and I think he can be handled by other DLSU forwards like James Mangahas or Maui Villanueva. If only Magi Sison can help out some inside scoring and it will help the Maroons cause big time.

JV Casio will be there to lead the Archers attack and the same question still remains as to who will step up this time for the Archers since we see a trend in the past four wins of the Archers that after JV Casio, you'll just simply never know who will score from the rest of the Archers who are fielded in the game. Barua, Mangahas, Malabes, and now Villanueva already had their "monster" games this season and the De La Salle faithful will continue to pray that they'll continue their stellar showing till the end.

LA Revilla suffered an injury yesterday and this might pose a little bit of a problem in the Archers' backcourt since this will mean that JV will be relegated more in playing the point guard spot. But then this will give more room for Peejay, James, and Bader to strut their stuff and provide more scoring help on JV. Our inside guys can also take advantage of the relatively smaller UP frontline. Rico, Marko, and hopefully PJ can impose their presence inside to make life easier for our perimeter guys and chalk up DLSU's fifth straight win.

The_Big_Cat
07-25-2008, 12:40 PM
More playing time for Jovet Mendoza.

cub
07-26-2008, 11:18 PM
after Barua, Malabes, Mangahas and Villanueva, now it's Bagatsing's time to shine. ;D he had 10points on 3of3 shooting. nice game also from Maierhofer and a brilliant start from Webb who had 6 quick points but have to sit out with 6mins remaining in the 1st quarter. :)

batangueño
07-27-2008, 03:33 AM
As always, congratulations to the De La Salle Green Archers for being the better team in yesterday's game against my other team, the UP Fighting Maroons. Although there were some glitches that the Archers committed in the process, the defense of the team plus the improved free throw shooting and the great basketball played by JV, Rico, James, Hyram and Joshua really helped La Salle in winning the game.

As for UP, well, the same old problems hounded my other team- poor defense, turnovers, too much fouls, bad games by key players (Magi Sison, Martin Reyes), somewhat confusing substitution by Coach Aboy Castro. Woody had finally awakened from his long slumber and I hope he stays that way until the end of the eliminations. Migs had longer playing time today and was able to sink in a couple of three-pointers, which can, hopefully, boost his confidence as he aims to improve his basketball.

It was also a great reunion for former teammates who now belong to either UP or La Salle. It was really fun to see DLSZ Junior Archers (Migs De Asis, Martin Reyes, Joshua Webb and Simon Atkins), UPIS Junior Maroons (Maui Villanueva, Miggy Maniego and Andrew Marfori) and San Beda Red Cubs (JV Casio, Arvin Braganza and Jay Agbayani) reunited on this hard court, although mostly they did not play at the same time.

It was nice seeing Migs and Martin facing the DLSU crowd as they joined them in singing the "Alma Mater Hymn" and Maui facing the UP crowd when "UP Naming Mahal" was sung. Great young athletes recognizing their true roots.

Lastly, although I remained neutral throughout the game, I cheered for both teams everytime a Maroon and an Archer scores a basket or two. I cheered alongside both the UP Pep Squad and the DLSU Pep Squad during the halftime cheers. Perhaps the proudest moment of this game for me was when I boldly and proudly sang "UP Naming Mahal" and the "Alma Mater Hymn" at the same time in one game, which was a true manifestation of how much love and pride I have as a son of two great Mothers- UP and La Salle- and why I hold UP-La Salle games close to my heart. :)

UP FIGHT! ANIMO LA SALLE!

ArcherAdictant
07-27-2008, 08:51 AM
It was a great game. La Salle proved itself as one of the best teams once again. Animo LaSalle. ;)

christian
07-28-2008, 09:11 PM

He looked bigger now compared to last year (saw the replay wherein he accepted an award for being part of the mythical team last year).

bigfreeze_bibby
07-29-2008, 08:25 AM

He looked bigger now compared to last year (saw the replay wherein he accepted an award for being part of the mythical team last year).

I think he bulked up compared to his frame last year and this is normal pag under ka kay Dan Rose.

batangueño
07-29-2008, 11:55 AM
Medyo naninibago pa si Jovet ngayon but give him more time during the off-season and I am pretty sure that he will be a good role player for the team next year. ;)