PDA

View Full Version : FEU's Mac Baracael Shot

full battle gear
07-24-2008, 10:48 PM
FEU player critically wounded in gun attack

www.abs-cbnnews.com

A basketball player of the Far Eastern University is now fighting for his life at a hospital in Manila after a gunman shot him near the FEU campus after practice Thursday night.

"Mac Baracael just got shot near Philtrust corner Morayta and R. Papa now fighting for his life at Mary Chiles hospital," said FEU president Anton Montinola.

Montinola added that the assailant shot Baracael twice with a .45 pistol.

The victim was walking with fellow FEU players Ron Cabagnot and Robert Kave to buy food when the incident took place near the campus gymnasium.

Montinola said that Baracael was the target.

An initial report from the hospital said a bullet went through the victim's back and came out in front.

Baracael is a third-year power forward for the FEU Tamaraws in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines.

-------------------------------------

Gameface says a prayer for him and his family and requests all forum members to do the same.

batangueño
07-24-2008, 10:52 PM
My thoughts and prayers for Mac's recovery. This is one very cowardly and dastardly incident worthy of being condemned to the highest degree.

Mikhail
07-24-2008, 10:54 PM
Grabe..

Mac Baracael, One Big Fight sa'yo!

pablohoney
07-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Tsk tsk.
This is terrible news indeed. >:(
Our prayers are with you Mac Baracael.

batangueño
07-24-2008, 11:01 PM
FEU star Baracael shot, in critical condition
by Tony L. Atayde
inboundpass.com (http://www.inboundpass.com/2008/07/24/feu-star-baracael-shot-in-critical-condition/)

FAR EASTERN University mainstay Mac Baracael was shot tonight, July 24, 2008.

Baracael was reported to have been with teammates Ron Cabagnot and Robert Kave outside the FEU gym when a car drove by and a shot simultaneously heard.

After Cabanot and Kave looked around, they saw a bloodied Baracael on the ground. The shooting occurred at the corner of Morayta and R. Papa streets, near a Philtrust bank branch.

Cabagnot and Kave said that they did not see who fired the shot. Unconfirmed reports say that Baracael was shot twice at the back with a .45 caliber, with the bullets penetrating his body.

As of presstime, Baracael is in critical condition at the Mary Chiles Hospital in Sampaloc, Manila.
This is a horrific and unfortunate incident that warrants our thoughts and prayers.

inboundpass.com is one with Baracael’s family, loved ones and the entire FEU and basketball community in praying for his speedy recovery.

sa_pula
07-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Huwag naman naman matulad si baracael sa player ng UV ? ba yon..yung namatay sa holdap..

kahit na sa feu yan si baracael warrior yan kaya malalagpasan nya yan!Get well soon..

dapat sa mga holdaper na yan pag nahuhuli binabalatan ng buhay sabay pigaan ng kalamansi...

sa_pula
07-24-2008, 11:03 PM
FEU star Baracael shot, in critical condition
by Tony L. Atayde
inboundpass.com (http://www.inboundpass.com/2008/07/24/feu-star-baracael-shot-in-critical-condition/)

FAR EASTERN University mainstay Mac Baracael was shot tonight, July 24, 2008.

Baracael was reported to have been with teammates Ron Cabagnot and Robert Kave outside the FEU gym when a car drove by and a shot simultaneously heard.

After Cabanot and Kave looked around, they saw a bloodied Baracael on the ground. The shooting occurred at the corner of Morayta and R. Papa streets, near a Philtrust bank branch.

Cabagnot and Kave said that they did not see who fired the shot. Unconfirmed reports say that Baracael was shot twice at the back with a .45 caliber, with the bullets penetrating his body.

As of presstime, Baracael is in critical condition at the Mary Chiles Hospital in Sampaloc, Manila.
This is a horrific and unfortunate incident that warrants our thoughts and prayers.

inboundpass.com is one with Baracael’s family, loved ones and the entire FEU and basketball community in praying for his speedy recovery.

huh? mukhang hindi lang holdap talaga..

Fried Green Tomato
07-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Our prayers for Baracael's immediate recovery. This is indeed one sad news not only for his family and feu community but to all peace loving uaap faithful. >:(

batangueño
07-24-2008, 11:13 PM
As posted by Kabayang nokia on one of the FEU threads in the FEU section:

just got this update. Mac is in stable condition.Concsious siya and will be trasnferred to Capitol Medical.

jmaroons23
07-24-2008, 11:30 PM
that's good to hear mr batangueno! ang hirap na talaga ng security situation ngayon, napakadali na lang na mabaril ka kung saan.

be assured of our prayers for this tremendous athlete. :) at sa bumaril naman, sana ay maconsiyensa ka naman, hindi ko alam kung paano ka makaktulog ng mahimbing ngayong gabi. >:(

Dark Knight
07-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Salamat sa lahat ng nakiramay sa ka Tamaraw kong si Mac Baracael. Hindi talaga patas ang buhay. May mga taong gagawin ang lahat para sa kanyang sariling interes. Sa taong bumaril at sa likod nito.

Hindi lamang si Mac Mac ang sinaktan mo.

Sinaktan mo ang pamilya nya.

Sinaktan mo ang buong UAAP.

Sinaktang mo ang buong komunidad ng FEU.

Sinaktan mo ang mga tagahanga nya.

Sinaktan mo mga kaibigan nya.

Sinira mo ang larong basketbol.

Ginalit mo ako!

....at ikaw na sobrang duwag............MASAYA ka ba sa ginawa mo? Eh kung mangyari ito sa pamilya mo?

Masaya ka rin ba?

DUWAG!!

LION
07-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Kaya mo yan Mac Baracael!

Ibibigay namin sa yo ang pusong Leon, dagdag sa pusong Tamaraw, para gumaling ka kaagad at malagpasan ang panganib sa iyong buhay!

vannnesssa
07-25-2008, 12:02 AM
I deeply pray for the fast recovery of Mac Baracael.

Being his fan and friend, sobrang nabigla talaga ako sa pangyayari. Sa lahat pa talaga, bakit kay Mac pa nangyari yun. Hindi talaga patas yung ginawa sa kanya. And yes, tama po kayong lahat, DUWAG yung gumawa nun sa kanya!

Thank God Mac's in a stable condition na.

batangueño
07-25-2008, 12:03 AM
FEU basketball player shot, in critical condition
GMANews.tv (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/109185/FEU-basketball-player-shot-in-critical-condition)
07/24/2008 | 11:05 PM

MANILA, Philippines – A varsity player of the Far Eastern University senior men’s basketball team is fighting for his life after he was shot Thursday just outside the FEU premises.

Mac Baracael was at the operating room of nearby Mary Chiles Hospital where his FEU teammates rushed him.

According to Anton Montinola, the FEU representative to the Board of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines, Baracael, a key player on the FEU rotation, was shot just outside the Philtrust Bank at the corner of Morayta and R. Papa streets.

“He was with two other players when a lone gunman shot using a .45-caliber pistol," Montinola said.

Montinola said in a text message that the gunman walked away after he fired two shots.

Dr. Honesto Marcos of the surgery department of the hospital said that Baracael was brought to the emergency room at around 8:35 p.m. by teammates and was taken to the operating room immediately after.

[b]“The point of entry of the bullet was approximately through the lower thorax posterior aspect, left side, and then it exited just below the nipple line," Marcos said.

Montinola said Baracael’s parents had been notified and were on their way to Manila from Quezon province. – GMANews.TV

nash_bedista
07-25-2008, 12:47 AM
Naka Silencer pa pala yung binaril si Baracael, buti "KINABOG @ NATAKOT!!!!!" ang killer

batangueño
07-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Naka Silencer pa pala yung binaril si Baracael, buti "KINABOG @ NATAKOT!!!!!" ang killer

But, Kabayan, we could not deny the fact that the one who did this cowardly act to Mac was a pro. Given the nature of the shots Mac sustained, we could really assume that the who act was planned and carefully executed. :o

batangueño
07-25-2008, 01:01 AM
GMA News video: Saksi: Gunman shoots FEU cager Macmac Baracael (http://www.gmanews.tv/video/26206/-Saksi--Gunman-shoots-FEU-cager-Macmac-Baracael)

gelaibabydoll
07-25-2008, 01:15 AM
My prayers go out to him for his speedy recovery. It's a relief for everyone that he is in stable condition now.

If he was hit by a pro, malamang walang konsensya yan. But, he will pay for this one way or the other, di man dito sa lupa... pero pagsisisihan din nya ito.

batangueño
07-25-2008, 01:21 AM
I am wondering who or what entity has the capacity to hire a pro in order to pin down a specific target. Hmmmm... :o

joelex
07-25-2008, 01:34 AM
Although we would like to avoid any conspiracy theory, but one cant help but ponder on a possibility that this shooting incident might be related to gang violence / gambling syndicates? Lets not hide the fact how many FEU players were dragged along betting and game fixing controversies over the past few years. Just wondering if somehow there's a connection with this. From the reports there seemed to be no indication that a hold up or robbery happened, so there must be a personal or business reason behind this.

gfy
07-25-2008, 01:45 AM
Baracael is one lucky guy. The gunman was aiming at his head from behind with a silencer when Mac decided to open his umbrella. The gunman then shot him in the back. The bullet just missed his heart and did not cause significant damage except to the lungs. He's in stable condition now and is conscious. There was a second shot but the gunman missed due to the panicking crowd.

Jump_Shooter
07-25-2008, 01:48 AM
Let's hope Baracael makes a full recovery. I think that should be the most immediate concern. Parallel to that should be his personal security. I'm sure the shooter has by now realized he bungled his assignment, so he may try again. Baracael needs to be heavily guarded 24/7.

Our prayers are with you, Macmac.

batangueño
07-25-2008, 01:53 AM
Actually, the hospital where Mac was moved should not have been disclosed by the media. The gunman or his cohorts might try to follow Mac at the Capitol Medical Center so, I guess, the family and FEU should ask for police protection for Mac given the kind of situation that he got into last night.

arjay_g
07-25-2008, 07:00 AM
I'm confused.... some reports say that it was a drive-by shooting. others say the gunman was walking behind the players. kung naglalakad nga yung gunman, sayang at walang nakaharang or nakahuli sa kanya.

in any case, ONE BIG FIGHT to you Mac Baracael. we wish you a speedy recovery and I hope this doesn't hamper your career and/or your dreams in any way.

BedanRoar
07-25-2008, 07:27 AM
We are praying for his fast recovery. Mukhang malaki ang galit ng gumawa sa kanya nito! Lets hope that authorities can solve this crime at the soonest possible time to prevent any further violence.

GreenArrows
07-25-2008, 07:42 AM
This is schocking and very disturbing news. Though we are fierce rivals in the field of sports, this is something that we NEVER wish on anyone - friends or opponents. Baracael is one of the new breed of tall and athletic players of FEU and his contribution to the team is irreplaceable. It is my hope that the police and other authorities get to the bottom of this case immediately and not just make this another cold unresolved case.

To Macmac Baracael, his family, the FEU team and to the entire FEU community, we at APcom are united with you in praying for his most immediate recovery and safety. ALL of us will pray for him and the FEU community and to be with all of you through this dark hours. To all FEU supporters who read APcom, please extend our sympathies to Baracael and his team.

patupup
07-25-2008, 08:24 AM
kaya mo yan Mac! We'll be praying for you!

Mighty_Alumnus
07-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Good to hear he is recovering.

There are many plausible reasons for this incident but my bet goes to a Michael Jordan case. My question is when will the UAAP openly investigate how gambling has affected the league? Gambling controversies are not limited to FEU players and the league reeks of it. These guys dictate outcome of games and how championships are won and now they want to play God and dictate when life ends!

Sucks man... really sucks. :-\

winters
07-25-2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks to all who sympathize with the entire FEU Community. Thank you.

Mac get well soon! Go Fight! Go Fight Tamaraw!

MargaretThrasher
07-25-2008, 08:46 AM
It's good that Mac Baracael is in stable condition. No one deserves to have something like that happen to him. I hope that whoever is behind this gets caught soon. It's sad to think that some people want to get ahead so badly, even at the expense of a human life. :(

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but how quickly can Mac make a comeback from that attack? Of course, a person should take his time recovering especially from a life-threatening injury, but even if I'm an Ateneo fan, I really want to see him play again. :)

baludoy
07-25-2008, 08:56 AM
get well soon, mac!

myktristan
07-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Mac is a fierce competitor and great basketball player, no doubt.

We are with you on your way to recovery.

WE CLAMOR FOR YOUR JUSTICE!

nel
07-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Actually, the hospital where Mac was moved should not have been disclosed by the media. The gunman or his cohorts might try to follow Mac at the xxxxxxxxxx so, I guess, the family and FEU should ask for police protection for Mac given the kind of situation that he got into last night.

Just wondering, if you're so concerned about keeping the location quiet, why did you post it here?

Our prayers for the speedy recovery of Mac Baracael. Mac, we hope to see you on the basketball court soon in uniform.

=============
edited to remove the hospital's name

kerouac82
07-25-2008, 09:23 AM
It's good to know Mac Baracael is all right now. I've always seen him as a fighter and fierce competitor and his quick recovery is characteristic of the man.

However, whoever did the dastardly acts of shooting him and putting out a contract on him should be exposed and brought to justice. His family deserves no better than that.

Schortsanitis
07-25-2008, 09:27 AM
I suspect it has something to do with the College Gambling syndicates.

It might be that Baracael did not follow the line, and they want to make him an example, or something like that.

Its sad, but college basketball is so big here, that the criminals have their hand on it. Remember Orbeta of CSB, and Bonbon Custodio of UE? There were allegations of game-fixing related to those guys.

A-boy97
07-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Get well soon Mac! Harsh words from competing schools may be said once in a while but in the end, the well being of a person outweighs any school pride!

Get well soon again! Praying for a speedy recovery!

Joescoundrel
07-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Margaret, rangers and Deltas get shot in the field, return to base to get patched up, return to the field to get shot at some more all within a couple hours on days of heavy fire such as in Kosovo and Kandahar. Mac Baracael is almost as fit as those guys being a UAAP baller. What will take more time is the psychological healing. Rangers and Deltas train to take shots and keep functioning. I doubt even in the streets of rage known as th University Belt that FEU trains their players to take bullet wounds. :-X

Ergo since he is conscious and apparently recovering apace I give him another 6-8 days in sick bay, release, then another 12-14 days to get his basketball legs and his mind back in order. If he really focuses he could be back midway through the second round. His overall physical fitness and athlete's mentality should be of great help in that regard. I also trust FEU team management is doing all it can for him. Is Capitol an FEU FERN property?

Moving right along I do not sleep well when I think hitmen are now openly coming after UAAP stars. Who's next I wonder? And are any of the UAAP's players safe?

Let's not quibble as to semantics - the gunman is a pro, using a silencer, double-tapping, calm as can be.

The usual suspects could be - woman/women, those who think they are women, stalker, psycho, criminal syndicate, fraternity.

Given Baracael is arguably the best player now on a Final 4-bound FEU squad, I think I'll take criminal syndicate. Let us not forget the RJ Gerilla incident. What the hell is it with the water and air in Morayta and R Papa?

If this is the new direction of criminal gangs then I strongly suggest we shut the whole UAAP down. No league is worth the life of any player.

In fact I call on Ateneo to pull out of the UAAP forthwith if it is proven that a criminal gang is behind the Baracael shooting. That can only mean the whole damn league has gone straight to shit.

5FootCarrot
07-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Maybe the people behind those "rhyming" La Salle shirts (Animoism ba yun?) can do a special one for FEU that says GET WELL BARACAEL ;D

Seriously now, Tito Joe raises a very valid concern about the safety of all college basketball players :( If gambling syndicates are going to greater lengths to protect their vested interests, all schools had better watch their players' backs. As much as we love our basketball and take it really seriously, it's not that big a deal that human lives must be at stake.

thor
07-25-2008, 10:03 AM
a professional gunman had two shots at him and left him alive? i don't think so.

we must also consider the possibility that this was a warning. and not just to baracael but to whoever might be reluctant to cooperate with the gamblers.

in which case, we're in completely uncharted territory in terms of the hold that organized crime has on the league.

to put it all in perspective: seasons have been cancelled before over a relatively minor thing like fan violence. i wonder how far they will go for a murder attempt?

The_Big_Cat
07-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Get well soon Mac!

This will be sad if it is related to basketball.

God bless Baracael.

A-boy97
07-25-2008, 10:19 AM
As my appeal to a different thread goes, same is applicable here. *If this incident is really related to gambling, PLEASE STOP BETTING. *Syndicates in this industry flourish because it is profitable. *Cut them from the source. *In your own small way, you curb crime by stopping.

Furthermore, if this really is a gambling related violence, BETTORS ARE ALSO RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SHOOTING!!! *Can you live with that? >:(

Schortsanitis
07-25-2008, 10:19 AM
Somebody should hunt down those b@st@rds. *'Di lang sila ang marunong gumamit ng baril.'

nash_bedista
07-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Somebody should hunt down those b@st@rds. *'Di lang sila ang marunong gumamit ng baril.'

Let's thanks to the Guardian Angel of Mac Baracael... ;)

bchoter
07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
One for Baracael!

batangueño
07-25-2008, 12:06 PM
Just wondering, if you're so concerned about keeping the location quiet, why did you post it here?

Our prayers for the speedy recovery of Mac Baracael. Mac, we hope to see you on the basketball court soon in uniform.

=============
edited to remove the hospital's name

Manong nel, the name of the hospital has already been reported by the media. Of course, we would never know if Mac was actually sent to that hospital. That hospital could have been used as a decoy. ;)

One more thing: I read in some outside sources that due to the gunshots that he sustained, one of Mac's lungs got punctured. If that is true, how can Mac play basketball with lung problems? ???

yungha
07-25-2008, 12:36 PM
...Moving right along I do not sleep well when I think hitmen are now openly coming after UAAP stars. Who's next I wonder? And are any of the UAAP's players safe...

...If this is the new direction of criminal gangs then I strongly suggest we shut the whole UAAP down. No league is worth the life of any player.

In fact I call on Ateneo to pull out of the UAAP forthwith if it is proven that a criminal gang is behind the Baracael shooting. That can only mean the whole damn league has gone straight to shit.

sa akin naman, if we stop playing, we let the criminals win. no matter what the findings are, let's keep playing.

and to the king tamaraw mac baracael, one big fight!

pachador
07-25-2008, 12:42 PM
with the combined power and connections of the alumni ng mga UAAP member schools, they can just get some professionals to rub-out this gambling syndicate. This is despicable that this evil men will play with college kids lives.

if you let the justice system run its course, nothing may happen and if something does happen these evil people may get acquitted on technicalities or get a lighter sentence.

There are times when good people have to resort to extreme means specially when we are talking about kids lives and manipulation of their morality.

mga animal kayong mga sindikato !

The_Big_Cat
07-25-2008, 12:47 PM
with the combined power and connections of the alumni ng mga UAAP member schools, they can just get some professionals to rub-out this gambling syndicate. This is despicable that this evil men will play with college kids lives.

Yes. Ala Manila Mayor Lim and Davao Mayor Duterte.
Palutangin ang mga yan sa Pasig River!

Schortsanitis
07-25-2008, 12:50 PM
'Pera lang ang katapat ng hitman na iyon.' So I hope somebody comes up with reward money for his capture. The bigger, the better.

Once that hitman ends up with millions as reward for his head, expect him to get caught, sooner or later.

batangueño
07-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Siguro panahon na para pumasok ang NBI sa usaping ito. Perhaps our NCAA friends could tell us how their league asked for NBI's assistance to go after the syndicates.

On-Topic: While he was able to survive an attempt on his life, Mac Baracael may now have to face the toughest challenge of his life, as he had suffered a punctured left lung as a result of the bullet piercing through his body. He also had two broken ribs, perhaps as a result of him falling on the pavement after being shot.

Mac is still under observation in the ICU of a Metro Manila hospital.

john_paul_manahan
07-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Get well soon, Mac.

this will be interesting come St. Ignatius' Day.

we await your return....

batangueño
07-25-2008, 12:57 PM
To our fellow Gamefacers who are in the medical and allied professions: How bad is this kind of injury to Mac's left lung? Could such an injury have both short-term and long-term effects on his ability to play basketball?

pachador
07-25-2008, 01:06 PM
naisip ko naman na, kaso, paano kung hindi sindikato?? ehem. ???

coreytaylor
07-25-2008, 01:15 PM
wishing him all the best to a speedy recovery! i pray that to who's behind the incident will be caught soon. why the hell does this kind of situation needs to happen? basketball lang to. grabe talaga.

tawkytawny
07-25-2008, 01:29 PM

We all want justice pero we have to remember that the end does not justify the means. If we will hire another hit man to kill those who are behind this despicable incident, we are becoming part of the vicious cycle. What we can do is to be vigilant and pray for the recovery of Mr. Baracael.

I really do hope whoever the mastermind/s and perpetuators are will all end up behind bars for a long, long, long time. Kung kasing galing lang ng kapulisan natin at NBI ang CSI at FBI ng US, tiyak lutas na yan within 1 week. There is no such thing as a perfect crime.

thor
07-25-2008, 01:36 PM
the gunman has bad free throw percentage.

coreytaylor
07-25-2008, 01:39 PM
To our fellow Gamefacers who are in the medical and allied professions: How bad is this kind of injury to Mac's left lung? Could such an injury have both short-term and long-term effects on his ability to play basketball?

this is very dangerous dude. this may cause respiratory distress or even respiratory failure but as long as there is oxygen given, he will be ok. but i dont know really know what's going to be the prognosis or the chances of recovery. if it damaged his left/right lung badly, then it would really affect his basketball carrier.

D_I_A
07-25-2008, 02:58 PM

tsk!tsk! dapat ang binabaril yung mga kurakot sa gobyerno!!!si GMA na lang dapat! >:(

BedanRoar
07-25-2008, 03:41 PM
What's the latest on Mac's Condition?

bluetruck
07-25-2008, 06:08 PM
a professional gunman had two shots at him and left him alive? i don't think so.

we must also consider the possibility that this was a warning. and not just to baracael but to whoever might be reluctant to cooperate with the gamblers.

in which case, we're in completely uncharted territory in terms of the hold that organized crime has on the league.

to put it all in perspective: seasons have been cancelled before over a relatively minor thing like fan violence. i wonder how far they will go for a murder attempt?

it's pretty obvious that there was intent to kill.* *a 45 to the torso is certainly fatal.* he could have aimed for the head except that baracael is just too tall for the hired gun.*

LION
07-25-2008, 06:29 PM
^ According to gfy, the gunman was indeed aiming for the head but Baracael suddenly used his umbrella thereby covering his head and forcing the gunman to shoot him in the back.

Two .45 caliber bullets to the torso are meant to kill, not just scare.*

Baracael got lucky twice. First, he covered (unwittingly)* *his head with the umbrella and, second,* the bullet missed his heart by a hairline.

flsfnoeraekadad
07-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Mabuti na lang at nakapagbukas si Mac ng payong :(

bluewing
07-25-2008, 07:02 PM
sana hindi nakakubra ng bayad yung assassin since nabuhay yung target nya. para at least, di sya nakinabang sa kagaguhan nya.

Jeep
07-25-2008, 07:59 PM
nang mabalitaan ko kay raging blue halos alas-11 na kagabi ang pangyayari, pinanalangin ko na kung maaari ay huwag na munang kunin ng Panginoon si mac baracael. sa kanyang murang edad, marami pa siyang magagawa sa pagpapabuti ng kalagayan ng basketbol -- at sa buong larangan ng isports -- sa ating bansa. malaki ang pasasalamat ko na kahit papaano'y pinakinggan ako.

i hope to see mac baracael soon enough donning the proud green-and-gold. :)

GHRanger
07-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Pessimistic as it seems, I have a feeling that the assassin is already out of the country. *I hope that the witnesses (if any) could provide some leads. *The assassin may be hiding but the contractor is still in the open.

Our prayers go to the Mac, his Family and his school community. Sana maka recover siya at makapaglaro pa rin ng basketball.

nash_bedista
07-25-2008, 08:19 PM
totoo tlagang may Guardian Angel ;D

About pla kanina sa News kay Baracael, reporter from channel 7 ask if there's any relation about "game Fixing" issue, then Mac reply "parang" or "sort of" .... then he didn't detailed any facts there... So etong mga P&*(^*& na mga Sindikato na yan na walang magawa, maawa naman kayo sa mga Players na Nagaaral para sa School, at hindi sa inyo...

About dun sa Killer, "ASA BOI"!

Howard the Duck
07-25-2008, 08:37 PM
funny thing is i passed that place yesterday. it was raining really hard. madami kayang tao doon... konti lang ang tao sa mismong intersection by 8:20. they were all at jollibee. there was an event at the FEU Gym since the lights were ablaze and the pep squad is hard on the drums. pupunta sana ako kaso umuulan

batangueño
07-25-2008, 09:37 PM
Shooting of cager may be basketball-related – cop
GMANews.tv (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/109399/Shooting-of-cager-may-be-basketball-related--cop)
07/25/2008 | 05:36 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Police refused to speculate if game-fixing had something to do with the shooting of Marcel Baracel, star basketball player of the Far Eastern University Tamaraws, who's still recuperating at the Capitol Medical Center in Quezon City.

But it could be a basketball-related crime, according to Police Officer 1 Sherwin Yumul of Manila Police District Station 4, which has jurisdiction over the capital city's Sampaloc district.

"We cannot say game-fixing. Not yet," he said. "But we are looking the possibility of his being a varsity player as possible motive. We cannot speculate. And besides, we have yet to talk to the victim who is still recuperating. We have to get statements first of his teammates and others to help us establish the lead."

Baracel was shot at about 8:20 p.m. at the corner of R. Papa and Nicanor Reyes Streets in Sampaloc while walking with teammates Ryan Cabagnot and Robert Kabe.

They had come from the FEU gym and were on their way home, when a man walked up to them and shot Baracel in the back, the bullet exiting through the cager's chest.

His teammates took him first to Mary Chiiles Hospital, and he was later transferred to the Capitol Medical Center.

Witnesses described the gunman as about 5’-1" tall, wearing a red T-shirt, short pants, and of slippers. He also had a backpack.

Arnie Minique, 38, vendor, told police that the gunman fled toward Espana Avenue. He apparently used a gun with a silencer, which he put inside his backpack before walking casually away from the scene.

Police found two shells from a .45-caliber pistol in front of the PhilTrust Bank.. - GMANews.TV

batangueño
07-25-2008, 09:53 PM
this is very dangerous dude. this may cause respiratory distress or even respiratory failure but as long as there is oxygen given, he will be ok. but i dont know really know what's going to be the prognosis or the chances of recovery. if it damaged his left/right lung badly, then it would really affect his basketball carrier.

Kabayan, what I have been reading on various news websites and online forums so far is that Mac's left lung got punctured as a result of the bullet that entered his left back and exited on his right chest and missed his heart by a hairline. Since I am no medical person, I am just wondering about the possible effects of such kind of injury to Mac, most especially his basketball career.

Still, I am so thankful that the Lord saved Mac's life from the assassin's bullet. I know that the recovery phase would be tough for Mac but given the fact that he is one strong-willed individual, he can definitely make it.

D_I_A
07-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Manila Standard Today

7/26/2008

Jealousy eyed in FEU player’s shooting
By Peter Atencio and Jing Villamente

FAR Eastern University hotshot Marnel Baracael who was shot twice in the back by a still-unknown assailant Thursday night, has been declared out of danger but remains under observation even as police are pursuing a love angle among other motives.

FEU sports director Mark Molina said attending physicians at the Capitol Medical Center in Quezon City told him that Baracael was now recovering from his wounds.

“Marnel is now in stable condition and is doing fine. He is conscious. What we can do is pray for his quick recovery,” he said.

Supt. Ricardo Layug, Manila Police Station 4 commander, said the victim’s valuables were intact, hence, robbery was not apparent.

He said the attempt on the life of the 6’3” Baracael, the FEU Tamaraws’ top forward, could be personal, referring to his relationship or his stardom.

Layug would not elaborate on the police theory pending results of a full investigation.

Coach Glenn Capacio said the team had just finished practice when the attack took place around 8:30 p.m.

Baracael left the gymnasium to have dinner with teammates Robert Kave and Ron Cabagnot; they were heading back to the team’s quarters near the corner of N. Reyes and R. Papa streets when the suspect sneaked up from behind and fired twice.

Arnie Mineque, a cigarette vendor, told investigators that the gunman pulled out his pistol from his backpack and fired several shots.

Citing police findings, Molina said a .45-cal. bullet entered the left side of Baracael’s back and pierced his lung barely hitting the heart.

The victim was immediately brought to the Mary Chiles Hospital in Sampaloc, and was later transferred by ambulance to the Capitol Medical Center in Quezon City after he regained consciousness.

Baracael is under observation for the next 24 hours.

“Hindi stray bullet ang tumama sa kanya. Binaril siya nang malapitan [It wasn’t a stray bullet that hit him, he was shot point-blank],” added Capacio, who rushed to the hospital with the rest of the Tams.

Baracael, a third-year forward, has been averaging 10.8 points and 3.8 rebounds and 23 minutes of action for the Tams, who are currently at third spot at 3-1 in the ongoing University Athletic Association cage wars.

Senior Insp. Mario Tineros told Standard Today that he and PO2 Sherwin Yumol visited Baracael in the hospital yesterday but were unable to get new

Howard the Duck
07-26-2008, 12:17 AM

Kabayan, what I have been reading on various news websites and online forums so far is that Mac's left lung got punctured as a result of the bullet that entered his left back and exited on his right chest and missed his heart by a hairline. Since I am no medical person, I am just wondering about the possible effects of such kind of injury to Mac, most especially his basketball career.

Still, I am so thankful that the Lord saved Mac's life from the assassin's bullet. I know that the recovery phase would be tough for Mac but given the fact that he is one strong-willed individual, he can definitely make it.

sa kakanood ko ng crime shows, it's a miracle mac didn't die. simpleng pin lang na naka-puncture sa lungs malala na. (there's a detective conan/case closed episode about this)

if the hole doesn't heal (does it heal anyway?), the lungs' capacity to take in air will be affected and he may not be able to participate in strenuous activities

danny
07-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Shooting of cager may be basketball-related – cop
GMANews.tv (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/109399/Shooting-of-cager-may-be-basketball-related--cop)
07/25/2008 | 05:36 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Police refused to speculate if game-fixing had something to do with the shooting of Marcel Baracel, star basketball player of the Far Eastern University Tamaraws, who's still recuperating at the Capitol Medical Center in Quezon City.

But it could be a basketball-related crime, according to Police Officer 1 Sherwin Yumul of Manila Police District Station 4, which has jurisdiction over the capital city's Sampaloc district.

"We cannot say game-fixing. Not yet," he said. "But we are looking the possibility of his being a varsity player as possible motive. We cannot speculate. And besides, we have yet to talk to the victim who is still recuperating. We have to get statements first of his teammates and others to help us establish the lead."

Baracel was shot at about 8:20 p.m. at the corner of R. Papa and Nicanor Reyes Streets in Sampaloc while walking with teammates Ryan Cabagnot and Robert Kabe.

They had come from the FEU gym and were on their way home, when a man walked up to them and shot Baracel in the back, the bullet exiting through the cager's chest.

His teammates took him first to Mary Chiiles Hospital, and he was later transferred to the Capitol Medical Center.

Witnesses described the gunman as about 5’-1" tall, wearing a red T-shirt, short pants, and of slippers. He also had a backpack.

Arnie Minique, 38, vendor, told police that the gunman fled toward Espana Avenue. He apparently used a gun with a silencer, which he put inside his backpack before walking casually away from the scene.

Police found two shells from a .45-caliber pistol in front of the PhilTrust Bank.. - GMANews.TV

Get the NBI. This is getting out of hand.

danny
07-26-2008, 12:56 AM
Margaret, rangers and Deltas get shot in the field, return to base to get patched up, return to the field to get shot at some more all within a couple hours on days of heavy fire such as in Kosovo and Kandahar. Mac Baracael is almost as fit as those guys being a UAAP baller. What will take more time is the psychological healing. Rangers and Deltas train to take shots and keep functioning. I doubt even in the streets of rage known as th University Belt that FEU trains their players to take bullet wounds. :-X

Ergo since he is conscious and apparently recovering apace I give him another 6-8 days in sick bay, release, then another 12-14 days to get his basketball legs and his mind back in order. If he really focuses he could be back midway through the second round. His overall physical fitness and athlete's mentality should be of great help in that regard. I also trust FEU team management is doing all it can for him. Is Capitol an FEU FERN property?

Moving right along I do not sleep well when I think hitmen are now openly coming after UAAP stars. Who's next I wonder? And are any of the UAAP's players safe?

Let's not quibble as to semantics - the gunman is a pro, using a silencer, double-tapping, calm as can be.

The usual suspects could be - woman/women, those who think they are women, stalker, psycho, criminal syndicate, fraternity.

Given Baracael is arguably the best player now on a Final 4-bound FEU squad, I think I'll take criminal syndicate. Let us not forget the RJ Gerilla incident. What the hell is it with the water and air in Morayta and R Papa?

If this is the new direction of criminal gangs then I strongly suggest we shut the whole UAAP down. No league is worth the life of any player.

The lead is now pointing to a criminal syndicate. This is not the basketball that we all know.*

It is not only unfortunate but truly tragic that things like this will happen. If syndicate money is involved, this is one possible outcome that should have been expected. I hope the authorities will pursue the lead they have discovered and not be corrupted along the way.

The paintings are all over the wall.

May pera ang tumira/nagpatira. This is definitely not* random. This was planned. Sinisindikato na tayong lahat.

Be safe, Mac.

Raging Blue
07-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Mac Baracael, find comfort with the knowledge that the entire UAAP community is one in wishing your speedy recovery. We are looking forward to your return to the hardcourt.

To the perpetrators of this dastardly deed, including the gunman, mastermind and other possible accomplices, you have crossed the line! Bahala na ang Diyos sa inyo. Tutal wala naman kayong konsensya >:(

full battle gear
07-26-2008, 07:36 AM
Baracael in stable condition; police remain clueless
By Joey Villar
Saturday, July 26, 2008
www.philstar.com

Mac Baracael, the Far Eastern U hotshot who was shot at the back Thursday night, is now in stable condition and under observation at the Capitol Medical Center in Quezon City.

“He is now conscious. Thank God, he’s in stable condition,” said FEU coach Glen Capacio.

Baracael, a key player on the FEU rotation, was shot at around 8:30 p.m. Thursday outside the Philtrust Bank at the corner of Morayta and R. Papa streets after the team’s practice. He was with teammates Ron Cabagnot and Papua New Guinean Robert Kave.

Police recovered two empty shells from a .45-caliber pistol from the crime scene. FEU team manager Anton Montinola said the lone gunman casually walked away after firing two shots.

Police said they remain clueless on the motive behind the shooting.

Baracael was brought to the Mary Chiles Hospital by his teammates and was later transferred to the Capitol Medical Center for some treatment and tests.

“He’s under observation and will undergo more tests to determine the internal damage,” said Montinola, who left Baracael’s side at 3 a.m. yesterday after the cager’s parents arrived from their home province in Quezon.

Dr. Honesto Marcos of the surgery department of the Mary Chiles Hospital said Baracael, a transferee from PCCr who suited up for Burger King in the PBL, was brought to the emergency room at around 8:35 p.m. by teammates and was taken to the operating room immediately after.

“The point of entry of the bullet was approximately through the lower thorax posterior aspect, left side, and then it exited just below the nipple line,” Marcos said.

Montinola said they have detailed security personnel to ensure the cager’s safety.

“He couldn’t talk yet but he’s conscious and recovering well,” said Allan Gregorio, Baracael’s coach in the PBL.

Montinola claimed that Baracael was the apparent target that was corroborated by several witnesses, who said they heard no sound of gunshots that led them to believe that the assailant used a silencer.

Baracael is one of FEU’s top players, averaging 10.8 points, 3.8 rebounds and 1.5 assists in the early going of the UAAP men’s basketball tournament.

He shot 16 points as FEU pulled off a 70-65 victory over 2006 champion University of Santo Tomas last Sunday at the Philsports Arena.

full battle gear
07-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Revenge hit on FEU’s Baracael?; ‘Meant to silence him for squealing on cheats’
By Inquirer Sports Staff
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 05:29:00 07/26/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Far Eastern University (FEU) power forward Marnel Baracael was shot by a still unidentified assailant Thursday night supposedly to punish him for disclosing the activities of a mysterious cabal of cheats in the FEU Tamaraw basketball squad.

According to several unimpeachable sources in the university, Baracael earned the ire of a syndicate after he allegedly squealed on the existence of the cheats in the FEU team a few months ago.

Two of the Philippine Daily Inquirer’s sources said members of the coaching staff blew their top when they learned about the influence of the game cheats on the team.

The sources declined to say if any of the FEU players was part of the syndicate, which apparently dictated the outcome of matches played by the Tamaraws as early as last season’s University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) tournament. Not one of the sources revealed how he learned about the scam.

“Nag-squeal si Baracael sa mga taong involved” [“(Baracael squealed on the people involved in the scam”] said one source, a school official. “Ang nangyari, binalikan siya.” [What happened was that they got back at him.”]

The same source said Baracael was lucky to survive the attack which, “by its looks, was meant to silence him.”

The FEU veteran remained confined in an intensive care unit yesterday even as team officials and the police said the motive in the brazen shooting continued to elude them.

“We don’t know the motive; we don’t know if it’s basketball related,” FEU coach Glenn Capacio said Friday.

But when asked in a television interview if the threat on his life was related to game-fixing, Baracael said: “Siguro. Hindi ko lang masabi.” [“Maybe. I cannot say.”]

“Wala naman po akong kaaway” [“I don’t have enemies”], Baracael added.

Another player close to Baracael also hinted that the incident was game-related.

Baracael survived a single gunshot wound after an unknown assailant shot him with a 45-caliber pistol past 8:20 p.m. Thursday at R. Papa Street corner Nicanor Reyes Street in Manila.

“He’s stable but in bad shape,” said Anton Montinola, the FEU representative to the UAAP board. “We have no information yet” on the motive, he said. “We cannot speculate.” With editing by INQUIRER.net

full battle gear
07-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Cops clueless on motive behind shooting

By Rizal Obanil and Jonas Terrado
www.mb.com.ph

A hired gun may have fired the shots that nearly killed Far Eastern University’s star forward Marnel Baracael Thursday night as he walked outside the school campus with two teammates after basketball practice.

Witnesses said the lone gunman casually walked away from the scene after firing at Baracael at close range and then coolly unhinged the silencer from what appeared to be a .45 caliber handgun, put it in a backpack and strolled towards Espana St.

Police are still trying to determine the motive behind the shooting and discounted, for the moment at least, that possible game-fixing, in which Baracael did not fulfill his part of the bargain, could be behind the shooting.

Reports of game-fixing have been swirling around the college basketball circuit and the UAAP has not been spared as several of its referees have been fined or suspended.

‘’Mahirap sabihin, kasi wala pa kaming ebidensiya. Yung game-fixing kasi nangyayari yun sa loob,’’ Superintendent Ricardo Layug, Station Commander of the Manila Police District (MPD)-Station 4 said in a phone interview.

Baracael is one of the stars of the FEU varsity team which currently has a 3-1 win loss record. Baracael scored 16 points in his team’s last game, a 70-65 win over University of Santo Tomas.

Baracael was rushed to the Mary Chiles Hospital on Gastambide St. beside University of the East, also in Sampaloc. Later that evening, he was transferred to the Capitol Medical Center apparently because the facilities there were better.

Layug said that it is hard for them to speculate, as their operatives are still interviewing possible witnesses and gathering more evidence.

Baracael, 23, was walking near the FEU campus in Morayta street in Sampaloc district in Manila at around 8:40 p.m. with fellow FEU players Ron Cabagnot and Robert Kave when a shot rang and Baracael fell to the ground.

The suspect was described by witnesses as about 5’1’’ tall, and wore a red T-shirt, short pants and slippers. He also carried a backpack.

Arnie Minique, a cigarette vendor, said she saw the suspect unhinge the silencer from the gun and placed it inside his backpack, before walking nonchalantly away from the scene.

Cabagnot and Kave were apparently not targets as they were spared. Both did not try to run after the suspect. Instead they hailed a pedicab and asked the driver to bring them to the nearest hospital which was Mary Chiles.

Baracael was reported to have been operated on at the Capitol Medical Center where he is presently confined.

A doctor who requested anonymity said Baracael is in stable condition and out of danger but he remains in the hospital’s intensive care unit or ICU.

"He had a gunshot wound that entered his upper back and exited through his lungs," the doctor said.

Investigation showed that the three FEU players were on their way home from their regular practice when they decided to buy food from a restaurant in front of their school.

Witnesses said that the suspect, possibly in his 20s, trailed the three players and then shot Baracael at close range.

Operatives of the MPD-Station 4 recovered two empty shells possibly from a .45 caliber pistol in front of a bank but only one bullet apparently hit the player.

Baracael, played with the Philippine College of Criminology and Burger King in the Philippine Basketball League.

UAAP commissioner Chito Narvasa and league secretary-treasurer Herc Callanta condemned the incident and refused to speculate on the motive.

"Speculation would not help anyone at this time," Narvasa said. "Besides this is already such an unfortunate incident."

"What happened to Mac Baracael is very unfortunate and should be condemned," said Callanta. "Any form of violence should be condemned specifically if the circumstances seem to point to it being senseless."

FEU coach Glen Capacio said they were shock by the incident.

"Sa ngayon talagang tulala pa ang team sa nangyari," Capacio said. "Maglalaro kami pero sa ngayon wala sa isip namin ang basketball ngayon."

Capacio said that he was having dinner with his coaching staff near the school’s gymnasium after practice when the incident happened.

"Kumakain kami ng mga coaching staff nun after praktis tapos nung nalaman namin ang nangyari, tumakbo kami papunta sa lugar," he added.

Capacio and school officials have imposed a news embargo and turned down requests to talk to Cabagnot and Kave who were reported to be still in shock.

Schortsanitis
07-26-2008, 08:06 AM
The UAAP or the NCAA are at a crossroads with this one incident.

I think it is imperative that the people behind this shooting be put behind bars, at the very least. If that doesn't happen, expect criminal syndicates to have a more solid footing in Philippine collegiate basketball, which will eventually lead to its downfall.

That shooting intimidated a lot of people in the Philippine Collegiate basketball scene. A lot.

amdgc82
07-26-2008, 08:22 AM
Game fixing, babae sinisilip
FEU STAR PLAYER BINARIL
Nina NONNIE FERRIOL, JULIET DE LOZA at VIRGI ROMANO
www.abante.com.ph

Namiligro ang buhay ng star player ng Far Eastern University (FEU) Tamaraws na lumalaro sa Universities Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) matapos itong barilin nang patraydor ng hindi nakikilalang suspek gamit ang isang baril na may silencer kamakalawa ng gabi.

Nabatid na naglalakad mula sa kinainang fastfood chain si Marnel ‘Mac’ Baracael dakong alas-8:30 ng gabi sa panulukan ng R. Papa at Nicanor Reyes Sts., Sampaloc, Manila nang biglang sumulpot sa likuran ang nag-iisang gunman.

Kasama umano noon ni Baracael ang dalawa pang teammates na sina Ron Ryan Cabagnot y Dano at Robert Kave y Avosa. Pabalik ang tatlo sa FEU Gym nang maganap ang karahasan.

Sa inisyal na imbestigasyon ni PO1 Sherwin Yumul, may hawak ng kaso, kasagsagan umano ng ulan at pabalik sa FEU Gym ang tatlo matapos kumain sa katabing fastfood chain nang maramdaman ni Baracael ang malamig na bakal na nakadikit sa kanyang ulo.

Isang testigong nakilalang si Arnie Minegue, nasa hustong gulang, cigarette vendor at residente ng #1116 Barlin St., Sampaloc, Manila ang nagsabing nakita niyang kinabig ni Baracael ng hawak na payong ang itinutok na baril ng suspek at mabilis itong kumaripas nang takbo.

Bagama’t walang narinig na putok ng baril ay nakita umano ng saksi na dalawang beses na kinalabit ng suspek ang gatilyo ng baril at nang makitang duguang bumagsak ang target na manlalaro ay kaswal lamang itong naglakad palayo sa pinangyarihan ng krimen patungo sa direksyon ng España Blvd. habang inilalagay ang ginamit na armas sa dalang backpack matapos tanggalin ang nakakabit na ‘bagay sa nguso ng baril’.

Sa paglalarawan ng saksi, nakasuot ng maong na shorts, pulang t-shirt, nakatsinelas at naka-bull cap ang suspek.

Nagtamo ng isang tama ng bala mula sa kalibre .45 pistola si Baracael sa likod na tumagos sa kaliwang bahagi ng dibdib. Mabilis itong isinakay ng mga kasamang teammates sa isang pedicab at isinugod sa Mary Chiles Hospital sa Sampaloc, Manila. Matapos lapatan ng lunas ay agad ding inilipat sa Capitol Medical Center, Quezon City ang 23-anyos na power forward.

Napag-alamang stay-in sa FEU Gym si Baracael at lingguhan lamang ito kung umuwi sa kanilang bahay dahil sa puspusang praktis ng kanilang koponan.

Babae? Laro?

Ayon naman kay Supt. Ricardo Layug, Manila Police District (MPD) Station 4 commander, inalis na nila ang anggulong ‘robbery’ sa kaso ni Baracael bilang motibo sa tangkang pagpatay dahil wala naman umanong tinangay na anumang gamit sa biktima.

Isa sa sinisilip ay ang posibleng pagkakaroon ng ‘personal na galit’ ng suspek sa manlalaro at ilan sa mga hinihinalang maaaring pagmulan ng galit ay ‘selos’ o ‘inggit’ o kaya naman ay pagkakaribal sa babae.

Gayunpaman, hindi rin inaalis ng pulisya ang posibilidad na may kinalaman sa ‘laro’ ang karahasan. Posible umanong isa sa mga nakalaban ni Baracael ang nag-utos para ipapatay ito.

Game fixing?

May malalim na dahilan umano ang naganap na insidente ng pamamaril kay Baracael kamakalawa ng gabi.

Sa nakalap na impormasyon ng Abante, may kinalaman umano sa ‘game fixing’ ang naturang insidente. Gayunpaman, ayaw namang magsalita ng biktima, maging ng mga kinatawan ng paaralan. Sa halip ay ipinauubaya na lamang nila sa pulisya ang pag-iimbestiga.

Sa natisod na impormasyon ng Abante, noon pa umanong nakaraang season ng UAAP ay may isyu na ng ‘game fixing,’ kung saan isang manlalaro diumano ng FEU ang nilapitan ng pinaniniwalaang sindikato para ihulog ang laro ng Tamaraws.

Ang ginawa ng naturang manlalaro ay hinimok niyang isama sa ‘paghuhulog’ diumano ng laro ang isa pang teammate at si Baracael.

Subalit, hindi umano tinanggap ni Baracael ang alok o panghihimok ng kasama. Sa halip, isinumbong umano ng biktima sa coaching staff at management ang nais mangyari ng teammate.

Bunga nito, sinipa sa koponan ang hindi pinangalanang manlalaro, para mapigilan ang balak nito.

Hindi umano malayong may kaugnayan ang insidenteng ito noong nakaraang UAAP season sa bigong pagpatay kay Baracael.

Tumanggi namang magsalita ni Anton Montinola, FEU athletic moderator, hinggil sa senaryong ‘game fixing’ ang motibo ng pamamaril.

“Ang mahalaga sa amin ngayon ay matiyak na ligtas na ang player namin,” sambit ni Montinola. “Bahala na ang pulis sa imbestigasyon.”

Napag-alaman pa na papasok na rin umano ang NBI para mag-imbestiga sa kaso na pinasinungalingan naman ng pamunuan ng UAAP.

thor
07-26-2008, 11:27 AM
so: the gunman "panicked" and ran away? or coolly walked away while detaching the silencer and stuffing the gun in his bag? the contradictions in the reports are all over the place. manila's journalists will probably get the story straight sooner or later, but right now the key facts are so unreliable that conclusions must be drawn as cautiously as possible. it certainly took them a while to figure out how many shots were fired as opposed to how many times baracael was hit. would a pro miss so badly with two shots? would a pro panic when he apparently (according to one of the reports) had all the time he needed to finish the job? intent to kill, as opposed to intent to send a warning, is still an open question i think.

the important thing is that a consensus is hardening that gamblers were indeed involved, and that the investigators will treat it as an organized crime investigation. the most interesting subplot to me is how the shooting has been related to the last team shakeup that saw the expulsion of players from FEU. the key to this case might be whoever has been disciplined by the team in the last few years, because they would know things. maybe their lives are in danger too. and maybe that might motivate them to talk to investigators.

there may be one good thing that might come out of this incident: the gamblers will lie low while the heat is on. if the next few games seem more fairly played and officiated than usual, it would be a sign. maybe the gamblers, as a collective, could even turn in the person who ordered the shooting. because shooting an athlete is so obviously bad for business.

beyond the immediate need to tend to the wounded and look to the security of all our athletes, we need to turn our thoughts to larger and longer-term issues. such as: whether the league has passed a point of no return. because it can no no longer be business as usual when criminals are coming after the players. the league has been complacent about gambling all these years because it's happy with operating under cozy arrangements and secret understandings. the league has also become lucrative for many outside interests, legal and illegal. if the shooting of an athlete does not motivate the league to change, i do not know what will.

stonecold316
07-26-2008, 02:02 PM
TEMPO

Cops probe FEU cager’s shooting

The Manila Police District (MPD) is digging deeper into the shooting and wounding in Sampaloc, Manila, on Thursday night of Marcel Baracel, 23, bachelor, basketball player of the Far Eastern University Tamaraws.

Baracel was first taken to Mary Chiles Hospital in Sampaloc before he was transferred to Capitol Medical Center in Quezon City for treatment. He was shot at the back of the body and the bullet exited through the chest.

The gunman was described as about 5’1" tall, clad in red T-shirt, short pants. He was wearing a pair of slippers and carrying backpack.

Police Officer 1 Sherwin Yumul, of the MPD-Station 4 (Sampaloc), said the shooting incident occurred at 8:20 p.m. at the corner of R. Papa and Nicanor Reyes Streets.

Police said the victim, along with his teammates Ryan Cabagnot and Robert Kabe, was walking when unidentified man approached and shot him.

The three had come from the FEU gym and were on their way home when the incident occurred.

Arnie Minique, 38, vendor, told police that the gunman fled towards España Boulevard after the shooting. elated angle behind the shooting. (Jeamma E. Sabate)

thadzonline
07-26-2008, 11:44 PM
this shocked me, and yeah I immediately suspected it could be the work of gambling syndicates

amdgc82
07-27-2008, 07:42 AM
Baracael out for season
By JONAS TERRADO
www.mb.com.ph

Far Eastern University and UAAP officials remain mum on the shooting incident of player Mac Baracael but confirmed that the star Tamaraw forward will be out for the 71st UAAP basketball season and that some Tamaraws are mulling on leaving the team.

Baracael, who is still in the ICU of the Capitol Medical Center, is recovering from a gunshot wound inflicted by an unknown assailant late Thursday.

Baracael, a third-year standout, suffered a damaged lung and an injured lip.

The incident sent shrivers to key FEU players and head coach Glenn Capacio bared that Robert Kave, their player from papua, New guinea, wants to return home.

"Si Robert, natatakot na siyang lumabas, talagang mahirap yung effect at trauma sa bata dahil 19 years old lang siya at iba ang culture niya pero sana mag-stay siya," Capacio said after FEU’s 71-69 win over University of the East last night.

"If Robert leaves wala na kaming big man so pinapasa-Diyos ko na lang yan kung anung desisyon ni Robert, if he stays, good for us, if not gagawa kami ng paraan," said Capacio.

Capacio, however, said that Ron Cabagnot, who was with Baracael when he was shot, looked like he has recovered from the incident.

FEU representative to the UAAP Board Anton Montinola was relieved that Baracael survived the incident but he also refused to speculate on any motive -- such as game-fixing, gang-fighting, or any other case – that precipitated the attempt on Baracael’s life.

Montinola added that Baracael will spend an unspecified amount of time in the hospital, which certainly means that the FEU forward, who averaged 10.8 points in four games this season, will miss the rest of the season.

"Mac will be in the hospital for a very long time," Montinola said.

Baracael reportedly is under heavy security and only a few individuals are allowed to visit him. His father and close relatives are also in his bedside.

Meanwhile, UAAP president Dr. Sergio Cao of host University of the Philippines refused to discuss anything about the matter until a report has been released.

"We cannot say anything as of now until there’s a final report," Cao said.

League commissioner Chito Narvasa said that off the court incidents are not under his jurisdiction but suggested strict security measures at the venues.

Schortsanitis
07-27-2008, 09:10 AM
By my own experience, 'napaka inutil ng PNP ngayon, kaya siguro anlakas ng loob ng mga sindikato ng mga kriminal na iyan.'

A-boy97
07-27-2008, 08:49 PM
By my own experience, 'napaka inutil ng PNP ngayon, kaya siguro anlakas ng loob ng mga sindikato ng mga kriminal na iyan.'

Bro, be careful with your choice of words, especially when you talk about our men in uniform. Kaya nga tinawag na sindikato, gagawa at gagawa ng kalokohan yan. I suggest you give our police the benefit of the doubt, and not put the blame on them.

Best way to curb gambling syndicates...STOP BETTING!!!

Schortsanitis
07-27-2008, 09:38 PM
Bro, be careful with your choice of words, especially when you talk about our men in uniform.* Kaya nga tinawag na sindikato, gagawa at gagawa ng kalokohan yan.* I suggest you give our police the benefit of the doubt, and not put the blame on them.

Best way to curb gambling syndicates...STOP BETTING!!!

http://rhk111.byethost14.com/2008/07/23/holdap-part-2/

dieselbirdie
07-28-2008, 01:39 AM
Still poses the question... the league knows that there is gambling so when are they going to act? Wait for the next guy to get shot? Tagal na yang sugalan sa liga and it baffles me that the board or league has not taken a proactive stance.

amdgc82
07-28-2008, 06:56 AM
Leave case with the police, FEU appeals
By Joaquin Henson
Monday, July 28, 2008
www.philstar.com

Fearing a second attack “to finish the job,” FEU team owner Anton Montinola yesterday appealed for sobriety from media to end speculation on why power forward Marnel (Mac) Baracael was shot by a lone gunman Thursday night and said the case should be left strictly with the police to avoid telegraphing moves that could tip off the assailant.

“Silence is golden at this point,” said Montinola. “We refrain from making comments because the gunman could make another attempt at Mac’s life. It’s a scary situation and right now, our focus is to secure our team.”

Montinola said Baracael, 23, is lucky to be alive after a bullet from a .45 caliber pistol pierced his lung but went through his body.

“The trajectory of the bullet was horizontal,” he said. “If the bullet went a little upward, it would’ve hit his heart. If it went a little downward, it would’ve damaged his stomach, kidney or spleen. He could’ve died.”

Baracael was with teammates Robert Kave and Ron Cabagnot in front of the Philtrust Bank at the corner of Morayta and Papa when a gunman came from behind to fire using a silencer. After the first shot, the gunman removed the silencer and pulled the trigger once more, this time hitting the ground to create panic in the busy street.

“It was between 8 and 9 at night after practice,” said FEU athletic director Mark Molina. “There were people all over. Vendors were out in the streets. Nobody saw the gunman clearly although some witnesses were able to describe what he wore, how tall he was, that he had a cap on. The gunman was apparently waiting for a while before Mac came along.”

Baracael and his teammates ran to the FEU gate after the shooting. His teammates entered the campus to get a car while Baracael, who was bleeding, sat on the sidewalk to wait. A pedicab driver took Baracael to the Mary Chiles Hospital, which is a five to 10-minute ride away. His teammates later followed to the hospital where a Dr. Certenia did an emergency procedure to remove the blood accumulated in the body after inserting a tube in the chest.

Because the hospital is not equipped to determine the extent of the damage, Dr. Certenia referred Baracael to Capitol Medical Center where he is affiliated.

Baracael’s blood pressure was stable when he was rushed to the hospital, indicating no damage to the heart, which was a relief, said Molina. Later dye tests at Capitol Medical Center showed no widespread damage.

The bullet’s exit saved Baracael’s life. The shot was from point blank range so the impact propelled the bullet clear through his body.

“Our priority is to give Mac the medical care and attention for him to recover completely,” said Montinola. “There are no leads so far on who did it and why it was done. The police are now investigating. Authorities aren’t disclosing what’s being done for obvious reasons.”

Montinola said the shooting has rallied the Tamaraws around Baracael. “We played a very emotional game against UE last Saturday,” he added. “We’ve got to be up for our game against Ateneo on Thursday.”

A player who has been traumatized by the incident is Kave.

“Robert is asking to go back to Papua New Guinea,” said Montinola. “There’s no basketball where he comes from. They play soccer but not basketball. It’s all mountains and mines in his country. He’s only 19. He joined us in high school and established his two-year residence to gain eligibility as a freshman this season.”

Molina said the shooting had nothing to do with FEU’s roster revamp after the 2006 season where the Tamaraws didn’t qualify for the Final Four despite La Salle’s suspension.

Molina dismissed speculation the attempt on Baracael’s life was linked to a game-fixing syndicate.

“Mac was conscious throughout the procedure at Mary Chiles,” said Molina. “But he’s not in a position to discuss things at the moment. He was never involved in any investigation. We don’t know why he was shot.”

Last year, FEU player Alfredo Gerilla was removed from the team. Sources said he was suspected of game-fixing but no hard evidence ever surfaced. Another former Tamaraw Jeff Chan, who played on the Philippine team that won the gold at the Southeast Asian Games last year, was allegedly suspected of involvement with a gambling syndicate. However, Gerilla and Chan were never implicated formally because of lack of proof.

Montinola and Molina declined to give credence to speculation that Baracael, a third-year player, squealed on the syndicate.

“There was no squealing from Mac,” said Molina. “It’s unfortunate all this gossip is coming out in the wake of the shooting. Let’s just leave the case in police hands.”

amdgc82
07-29-2008, 06:58 AM
UAAP condemns Baracael attack
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
www.philstar.com

The University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Board of Trustees strongly condemned the violent attack on Far Eastern University Tamaraw’s Marnel Baracael last July 24 and called for a full and quick investigation of the incident.

“While we are glad that Mac survived this blatant assault and wish for him a speedy recovery, we remain in shock that this unfortunate incident transpired,” the UAAP said in a statement.

It added: “The UAAP has espoused the values of sportsmanship and fair play in all its games and activities since its inception, and it reaffirms its commitment to this endeavor toward the proper formation of the youth of the land. Its affairs have no place for violence, much less the sort that can have tragic consequences.”

The league has urged a full and urgent investigation by the police and all concerned to prevent such an incident from happening again.

“We enjoin everyone to assist in the search for the truth and be one with us in the condemnation of this heinous act and all other forms of violence towards our athletes,” the UAAP said.

Baracael was shot by a lone gunman Thursday night in front of the Philtrust Bank at Morayta after the team’s practice at the FEU gym.

Police are still investigating the case.

Meanwhile, Philtrust Bank officials are expected to provide the investigators today the tapes of a CCTV (closed circuit television) camera which may have recorded the shooting incident and where the police can take a good look at the gunman and establish his identity.

After the shooting, the gunman casually walked away from the scene. A pedicab driver took Baracael to the Mary Chiles Hospital where he was pronounced in stable condition. He was later transferred to the Capitol Medical Center for observation and further tests.* *– With reports from Joey Villar and Nestor Etolle

amdgc82
07-29-2008, 07:00 AM
Mayor Lim eyed to probe attack on FEU’s Baracael
By Inquirer Sports Staff
First Posted 03:46:00 07/29/2008

MANILA, Philippines—No less than Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim will be requested by the UAAP board to spearhead the investigation of the shooting which nearly claimed the life of Far Eastern University cager Marnel “Mac” Baracael.

A ranking official of a member university in the UAAP told the Philippine Daily Inquirer Monday that the move to seek Lim’s help “is supported by majority of the member schools.”

“The UAAP wants to get to the root of the problem,” said the source who asked not be named. “Remember also that the crime happened in Manila.”

Lim, a no-nonsense police general and National Bureau of Investigation chief before becoming a senator and then mayor of Manila, is an alumnus of the University of the East.

This developed as the UAAP board called on the “urgent investigation by the police and all those concerned to prevent (such) incident from happening again.”

Baracael, a 6-foot-3 power forward, was shot twice from behind by a still unidentified assailant last week while walking with teammates Robert Kave and Ron Cabagnot in front of Philtrust Bank near the FEU gym in Morayta Street.

“While we are glad (Baracael) survived the blatant assault, the UAAP board remains in shock,” the board said.

“We condemn the attack. We enjoin everyone to assist in the search for the truth.”

Police Officer 1 Sherwin Yumul, the lead investigator in the case, told the Inquirer Monday night that the motive for the attack on Baracael remained unknown.

Yumul said they have interviewed Baracael, Kave and Cabagnot.

“The victim has no idea who shot him or what the motive of the attack might have been,” said Yumul.

Four Inquirer sources, including an FEU official, who all spoke on condition of anonymity, have claimed that the incident may be related to basketball games.

But Yumul said there is “no solid evidence yet” to link the incident to such a motive.

Police did not declare an actual time frame for the investigation, saying it would depend on the cooperation of the victim and the people with knowledge of the incident.

“It’s hard to say when we can solve the crime because right now, we still have no leads,” Yumul said.

The police officer also said he is planning to request for a copy of the security video of Philtrust Bank, which may have recorded the shooting.

danny
07-29-2008, 07:28 AM
Still poses the question... the league knows that there is gambling so when are they going to act? Wait for the next guy to get shot? Tagal na yang sugalan sa liga and it baffles me that the board or league has not taken a proactive stance.

Is there a bigger incentive in eradicating the syndicate than preserving the status quo? If there's none, why bother? Honor, dignity and purity of the game? When the league's cash flow is eventually threatened, then you will see action.

A simple question that celebrated economist Steven D. Levitt would ask in his "Freakonomic" attempt in analyzing social and economic behavior.

What's the incentive?

amdgc82
07-30-2008, 06:58 AM
Bank refuses to yield TV tapes
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
www.philstar.com

The investigation into the shooting of Far Eastern University varsity player Mac Baracael hit a snag yesterday after the security personnel of the Philtrust Bank refused to furnish the police the tapes of the bank’s closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera.

Philtrust Bank officials had earlier assured the investigators that they would cooperate in the probe of the slay try by providing the police the CCTV tapes which may have recorded the shooting incident.

But the investigators returned empty-handed after a certain Robert Mendoza, reportedly the operations assistant of Philtrust security department, refused to allow the police to view the tapes.

“There is nothing significant on the tapes,” Mendoza allegedly told the investigators. He added that the bank agreed not to allow its viewing “for security reasons.”

“We don’t care even if it’s an order from Mayor (Alfredo Lim). I am just performing my job,” SPO3 Richard Lumbad quoted Mendoza as saying.

Lim had directed investigators to join hands with the Sampaloc police to probe Baracael’s shooting and arrest the culprit immediately.

“Why are they adamant to allow the review of the tapes? Are they trying to hide something?” said Homicide head Chief Inspector Dominador Arevalo Jr.

“What security reasons are they talking about when the CCTV* camera is focused outside the bank premises,” Arevalo said.

According to Lumbad, the bank officials said they had reviewed the tapes but found nothing connected with* the shooting incident.

However, Lumbad insisted that they only need to view a portion of the tapes, particularly in between 8 to 10 p.m. – Nestor Etolle

paralusi
07-30-2008, 09:01 AM
two words: court. order.

Kid Cubao
07-30-2008, 09:05 AM
three words: mayor alfredo lim.

tingnan natin ang tigas nitong si robert mendoza ng philtrust pag si mayor na mismo ang dumampot sa kanya para, ehem, "makausap"...

The_Big_Cat
07-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Baka gusto nila makatikim ng spray paint ni Mayor Lim.

nash_bedista
07-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Baka gusto nya makatikim ng "The Law applies to all, otherwise none at all!"

myktristan
07-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Wounded Tamaraw: I will come back
July 28, 2008 05:56:00
Cedelf P. Tupas
http://www.inquirer.net/specialfeatures/uaap/view.php?db=1&article=20080728-151109

MANILA, Philippines—The motive behind the threat on his life may still be a mystery to the authorities, but one thing is certain for Far Eastern University cage star Marnel “Mac” Baracael: He wants to pursue his basketball career.

“Kaya ko ito, babalik ako (I can overcome this, I will return),” Baracael, who was shot by an unidentified assailant Thursday, said in a television interview.

FEU athletic director Mark Molina Sunday told the Philippine Daily Inquirer that the 6-foot-3 Baracael is responding to treatment for the gunshot that punctured his lungs and fractured two ribs.

Molina, however, ruled out Baracael for the remainder of the UAAP season, which is the Quezon native’s last playing year in the league.

“He can still play,” Molina said. “The question is when. We are hoping Mac can continue his playing career.”

Baracael was walking toward the FEU gym with teammates Ron Cabagnot and Robert Kave Thursday night when the suspect shot the 23-year-old cager from behind twice with a 45-caliber pistol.

At least four Inquirer sources claimed that the incident may be related to basketball.

One source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the shooting “had something to do with games.”

Another source, an FEU official, said certain people wanted to punish Baracael after the cager “squealed on the existence of cheats in the team.”

But Molina said it is still “very premature” to speculate on the motive.

“We are making sure that Mac (Baracael) is secure,” Molina said.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We wish you all the best in your speedy recovery!

amdgc82
07-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Lim: Police will catch assailant in Baracael shooting
By Tina Santos, Jasmine W. Payo
First Posted 02:34:00 07/30/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim Tuesday politely turned down an informal request from certain UAAP member schools to take charge of the investigation into the shooting incident that nearly claimed the life of Far Eastern University cager Marnel “Mac” Baracael.

Saying he has enough faith that the Manila Police District will solve the crime, Lim ordered MPD director Chief Supt. Roberto Rosales “to investigate fully the incident and to exert all efforts to pinpoint and arrest the perpetrators.”

“The Manila police is on top of the situation,” Lim said in a statement. “We will get the suspects, no matter what it takes.”

The Philippine Daily Inquirer’s sources in the UAAP said at least three member universities, including Ateneo de Manila University and University of the East, wanted the league to ask Lim to spearhead the investigation.

FEU has tightened its team security following the Thursday night shooting of the 6-foot-3 Baracael, who survived a single gunshot wound after a still unidentified assailant shot him with a .45-caliber pistol at the corner of R. Papa and Nicanor Reyes streets in Manila.

“We’re responsible for the players [of the school],” said Anton Montinola, FEU’s representative to the UAAP board.

At least four unimpeachable Inquirer sources at FEU earlier said the attack on Baracael may have been the handiwork of people who want to influence the results of the Tamaraws’ games in the UAAP.

Baracael, who is recovering from a punctured lung and two fractured ribs, had also been transferred to an undisclosed place after being confined at the Capitol Medical Center.

“His security had been comprised, we had to move him,” said Montinola. “He is stable, but we don’t know yet if there will be complications or infections. A tube is still inserted in his body.”

While conspiracy yarns have already spun regarding the shooting, no motive has yet been established by the authorities for the crime. Majority of the knowledgeable sources the Inquirer interviewed, however, pointed to game-fixing as the culprit.

Baracael, according to Inquirer sources, was attacked less than a year after he and another FEU player squealed on the existence of game cheats in the team.

Police on Monday requested for a copy of the security video of a bank near the crime scene, which may have recorded the shooting. But Chief Insp. Dominador Arevalo, head of the MPD homicide division which was tasked to help in the probe, claimed that the establishment, Philtrust Bank, has refused to cooperate.

“[Philtrust] refused to provide us with a copy of the CCTV (closed-circuit television),” said Arevalo.

“One Roberto Mendoza, the bank’s assistant for security operations, was giving us a hard time, giving all sorts of alibis,” Arevalo added. “We told him that the request was based on an order of the city mayor, pero wala daw siyang pakialam (but he doesn’t care).”

A ranking official of a member university in the UAAP told the Inquirer Monday of the move to seek the help of Lim, an alumnus of the University of the East and former police general.

“I am humbled by the request of the UAAP for me to spearhead the investigation of the shooting of Baracael,” said Lim. “However, at this point, I would rather that we give Gen. Rosales the chance to do his job.”

BigBlue
07-30-2008, 11:58 AM

tingnan natin ang tigas nitong si robert mendoza ng philtrust pag si mayor na mismo ang dumampot sa kanya para, ehem, "makausap"...

I really hope Lim makes the most out of what he's known for, a strong political will. Violence in the Ubelt area as sensational as this is something that city hall would want to resolve as soon as possible. problem is, the stories we've been hearing from city hall have not been all that encouraging - Lim is no longer the strong-willed leader that we all knew him to be.

GHRanger
07-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Four words: "Hindi Gumagana Yung CCTV"

aircanda
07-30-2008, 06:40 PM

THREE WORDS DIN and this is my favorite:

"Cooperate or Evaporate"

Dark Knight
07-30-2008, 09:37 PM
5 words

Kita Yung Mukha Nung Bumaril ;D

shyboy
07-30-2008, 10:11 PM
0 words

?

THE ONLOOKER
07-30-2008, 11:04 PM

CCTV = Props? ???

nash_bedista
07-30-2008, 11:11 PM
CCTV - Puro Chicks sa FEU ang Pwedeng Kuhanan ;D

THE ONLOOKER
07-30-2008, 11:46 PM
CCTV - Puro Chicks sa FEU ang Pwedeng Kuhanan ;D

Upskirts? ;)

Regular Grey
07-31-2008, 12:14 AM
Sports
Police question Baracael pals, fellow Tamaraws

Thursday, July 31, 2008
Police probing the Mac Baracael shooting incident yesterday began questioning a number of friends and co-players of the fallen FEU cager to help determine the possible motive for the slay try.

This developed as security personnel of the Philtrust Bank finally agreed to furnish investigators a copy of the CCTV (closed-circuit television) tapes, which could help the probers identify the lone gunman.

Investigators are hoping that the CCTV camera installed outside the Philtrust Bank may have caught on film the shooting incident.

Baracael was shot from behind Thursday night after the team‘s practice at the FEU gym near Philtrust Bank at Morayta corner R. Papa Sts. in Sampaloc. Two empty shells of a .45 caliber pistol were recovered at the scene.

Chief Inspector Dominador Arevalo Jr. said they are also looking at some reports that the attack on Baracael was the handiwork of people who want to influence the results of the Tamaraws’ games in the UAAP.

“We already have the statements of some people regarding that issue. However, we still have to verify these,” Arevalo said, adding only Baracael can confirm or deny the allegations.

“Maybe we can get more information from him to get to the bottom of the incident,” Arevalo said.

Probers are also coordinating with FEU athletic director Mark Molina for some information from Baracael, who is under the protective custody of the university management.

Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim has directed homicide investigators to coordinate with the Sampaloc police station to investigate the shooting incident and find the assailant.

Witnesses described the gunman as at least 5-4, medium built, and in his late 20s. The suspect was wearing a collarless red t-shirt and carrying on his shoulder a dark bag. After the shooting, the gunman casually fled on foot towards España. – Nestor
http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20080730132

amdgc82
07-31-2008, 06:22 AM
BARACAEL SHOOTING
Bank now willing to show CCTV tapes to police
By Allison Lopez
First Posted 04:02:00 07/31/2008

MANILA, Philippines—The management of the bank that had earlier refused to cooperate with the police investigation on the shooting of Far Eastern University star Marnel “Mac” Baracael made a turnaround Wednesday, promising to release a copy of the surveillance tape in which the shooting was recorded.

MPD homicide head Chief Insp. Dominador Arevalo Jr. said Philtrust Bank assistant operations security officer Roberto Mendoza told police his office would release the tapes showing footages caught by the closed circuit television (CCTV) camera during the shooting.

Mendoza had earlier reportedly refused to release the tape when policemen first asked for a copy.

“I think the published reports that they declined to cooperate helped in changing their minds,” Arevalo said in Filipino. “Our district director, Chief Supt. Roberto Rosales, has also talked to Mendoza’s superior and he gave his go-signal for the CCTV tapes to be released.”

Arevalo said the CCTV footage from 7 to 9 p.m. of July 24 could be crucial in the police’s bid to identify the lone suspect who shot Baracael at the corner of R. Papa and Nicanor Reyes streets, just near Philtrust Bank.

From the footage, he said, police officials are hoping that they can catch a profile of the gunman, who might have been loitering in the area while waiting for the victim to arrive.

Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim had earlier ordered Rosales “to exert all efforts to pinpoint and arrest the perpetrators.”

“The problem is nobody wants to give any information,” said Lim in a television interview on Wednesday night. “We’re trying our best to dig deeper into the case if it has something to do with the syndicated gambling going on in these games.” With a report from Jasmine W. Payo

paralusi
07-31-2008, 08:07 AM
sa tingin ko e gusto lang ni mendoza ma-dyaryo ang pangalan nya kaya nagmatigas nung una.

;D

The_Big_Cat
07-31-2008, 08:59 AM

CCTV = Props?* ???

Baka depositor or client nila siguro. Confidential daw eh. ;D

amdgc82
08-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Philtrust CCTV has no footage of shooting
Friday, August 1, 2008
The Philippine Star

Police found no footage of the shooting of FEU cager Mac Baracael from the CCTV (closed-circuit television) camera tapes provided by Philtrust Bank, leaving investigators without a lead one week after the slay try.

“The camera angle failed to record the actual shooting,” said Chief Inspector Dominador Arevalo Jr. of the Manila Police District after viewing the tape with the media yesterday.

However, investigators noted at least four men in the tape talking at the corner of Morayta street minutes before the shooting incident.

“Their movements are suspicious and they seemed to be waiting for someone,” Arevalo said.

Meanwhile, FEU coach Glen Capacio and FEU representative to the UAAP board Anton Montinola are set to appear at the MPD headquarters tomorrow morning to shed light on allegations linking FEU to game-fixing in the UAAP.

Homicide investigators are also coordinating with FEU athletic director Mark Molina to get the statements of Baracael, who is under the protective custody of the university management.

Baracael was shot by a lone gunman at the corner of Morayta and R. Papa streets in Sampaloc last July 24. Police had hoped to get a lead from the CCTV tape.

Police will invite FEU cager Ron Cabagnot to assist them in determining whether the gunman was among the four men recorded on the tape. Robert Kave, who was with Baracael and Cabagnot at the time of the shooting, has decided to go home to Papua New Guinea.* *– Nestor Etolle

rifleman
08-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Malamang, naedit na yan ng bangko kasi may threat sa kanila yung Mafia. Ang tagal kasi bago narelease yung tape. >:(

pepman
08-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Guys,
Please pray for Baracel....

danny
08-02-2008, 01:14 AM
Guys,
Please pray for Baracel....

Of course. WE should also hope the masterminds will be caught.

Vigilance is needed. The syndicate and their minions will try their best to hide from the limelight.

amdgc82
08-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Police meet with UAAP execs, probe banned ref
By Joey Villar
Saturday, August 2, 2008
The Philippine Star

Police investigators have started meeting with members of the UAAP board, coaches and players to gain inputs and information on the alleged game-fixing in the league and its possible link to the recent shooting of FEU cager Mac Baracael.

The authorities will also invite UAAP referee Bryan Tabañag for questioning after he was banned following his performance in* the controversial La Salle-FEU contest.

The Criminal Investigation and Detection Group has also considered subjecting referees officiating in the ongoing UAAP basketball tournament and some players to lifestyle check.

“That’s one possibility because our goal is to scare these unscrupulous individuals or groups of individuals into making mockery of the UAAP games,” said Superintendent Mitchel Filart, chief of CIDG, Quezon City yesterday.

The recent slay attempt on Baracael has revived talks on possible game-fixing in the country’s most popular league which the CIDG has been monitoring since last year.

Police Senior Inspector Fernando Cunanan has also started making rounds in the UAAP circle, asking some board members, coaches and even players for information that would link game-fixing to the Baracael shooting.

Baracael, the star forward of the FEU Tams, survived the attack and is under protective custody by the FEU management.

Meanwhile, four witnesses, including two FEU players, failed to identify the gunman from the CCTV (closed-circuit television) tape during its viewing at the Manila Police District headquarters yesterday.

But it was noted that the tape was a bit blurred compared to the one furnished by the Philtrust Bank security the other day, prompting an investigator to comment that the tape could have been* “spliced or tampered with.”

In fact, Ron Cabagnot and Robert Kave of Papua New Guinea, who were with Baracael at the time of the shooting, had a hard time recognizing themselves on the video. The actual shooting was not caught on film since the camera was focused on another angle.

Cabagnot and two vendors also failed to identify the suspect from among the people on the video.

Kave has decided to forego his stint with the Tamaraws in the current season and is slated to leave for home.

Homicide section head Chief Inspector Dominador Arevalo Jr. said he will try to have the tape digitally enhanced frame-by-frame.

NCR Regional Commander Police Senior Superintendent Ericson Velasquez and Filart said they would investigate Tabañag who made two controversial calls and a non-call in the final three minutes of the La Salle-Far Eastern U encounter the Archers won two weeks ago.

Although Tabañag, vice president of the NABRO or the referees group officiating in the UAAP, admitted committing a mistake, he was never implicated in alleged game-fixing scams. – With report from Nestor Etolle

amdgc82
08-02-2008, 07:07 AM
BARACAEL SHOOTING
Police to question FEU coach
By Tina Santos
First Posted 04:44:00 08/01/2008

MANILA, Philippines—The Manila Police District intends to invite Far Eastern University coach Glenn Capacio and team manager Anton Montinola for questioning to help shed light on the shooting incident that almost claimed the life of FEU cager Marnel “Mac” Baracael.

Chief Insp. Dominador Arevalo, head of the MPD homicide division which was tasked to help in the probe, said they were looking at game-fixing as one of the possible motives of the shooting that happened Thursday night along R. Papa Street near Philtrust Bank and FEU Gym.

He also said investigators have already seen the surveillance video from the bank.

The footage, however, failed to capture the actual shooting incident because the security camera was placed and focused on Nicanor Reyes Street, Arevalo said.

According to Arevalo, Baracael was shot as he was about to turn on R. Papa Street but it (shooting) was not caught on camera.

But the police official added that the footage showed at least three men standing outside the bank “as if they were waiting for something or somebody.”

“We strongly suspect that the men served as lookouts,” Arevalo said. “These men were seen pacing back and forth the area, one of them was even texting but when the shooting happened they did not even bother to check what was going on.”

amdgc82
08-02-2008, 07:09 AM
Police to summon 2 ex-FEU players
By Tina Santos
First Posted 06:32:00 08/02/2008

MANILA, Philippines—The Manila Police District (MPD) is tracing the whereabouts of two former basketball players for Far Eastern University (FEU) who reportedly were dropped as members of the team on suspicion that they were involved in game-fixing, as it stepped up its investigation on the shooting that nearly claimed the life of FEU star Mac Baracael.

But Chief Inspector Dominador Arevalo, head of the MPD Homicide Division, did not identify the two former players and did not say what year they played for the FEU Tamaraws.

“We will invite them for questioning, but they are not considered suspects,” Arevalo said. “Through those two players, somebody reportedly offered Baracael money to ensure that their team would win the game.”

But FEU coach Glenn Capacio, who was appointed last season, denied that the team had axed a player from the roster due to game-fixing.

Arevalo said they received information that Baracael apparently squealed on the existence of game cheats in the team and added that he “apparently reported the suspected players to team officials.”

The 23-year-old Baracael was walking towards the FEU gym with teammates Ron Cabagnot and Robert Kave on July 24 when the still unidentified suspect shot him from behind twice with a 45-caliber pistol along R. Papa Street near Philtrust Bank.

Cabagnot, who, along with Kave watched the surveillance video from the bank yesterday, said he did not notice anybody following them prior to the incident.

But Arevalo noticed the presence of three men standing outside the bank in the video, who may have served as “lookouts” for the assailant. Cabagnot and two other vendors who claimed to have witnessed the incident said that the gunman was clad in a red shirt. With a report from Cedelf P. Tupas

john_paul_manahan
08-02-2008, 05:04 PM
By Tina Santos

MANILA, Philippines—The Manila Police District (MPD) is tracing the whereabouts of two former basketball players for Far Eastern University (FEU) who reportedly were dropped as members of the team on suspicion that they were involved in game-fixing, as it stepped up its investigation on the shooting that nearly claimed the life of FEU star Mac Baracael.[/b]

i think they should start with gerilla who's in the Liga Pilipinas.

The_Big_Cat
08-02-2008, 06:21 PM
^and probably include Bon Custodio as well.

THE ONLOOKER
08-02-2008, 10:54 PM
By Tina Santos

MANILA, Philippines—The Manila Police District (MPD) is tracing the whereabouts of two former basketball players for Far Eastern University (FEU) who reportedly were dropped as members of the team on suspicion that they were involved in game-fixing, as it stepped up its investigation on the shooting that nearly claimed the life of FEU star Mac Baracael.

But Chief Inspector Dominador Arevalo, head of the MPD Homicide Division, did not identify the two former players and did not say what year they played for the FEU Tamaraws.

“We will invite them for questioning, but they are not considered suspects,” Arevalo said. “Through those two players, somebody reportedly offered Baracael money to ensure that their team would win the game.”

But FEU coach Glenn Capacio, who was appointed last season, denied that the team had axed a player from the roster due to game-fixing.

Arevalo said they received information that Baracael apparently squealed on the existence of game cheats in the team and added that he “apparently reported the suspected players to team officials.”

The 23-year-old Baracael was walking towards the FEU gym with teammates Ron Cabagnot and Robert Kave on July 24 when the still unidentified suspect shot him from behind twice with a 45-caliber pistol along R. Papa Street near Philtrust Bank.

Cabagnot, who, along with Kave watched the surveillance video from the bank yesterday, said he did not notice anybody following them prior to the incident.

But Arevalo noticed the presence of three men standing outside the bank in the video, who may have served as “lookouts” for the assailant. Cabagnot and two other vendors who claimed to have witnessed the incident said that the gunman was clad in a red shirt. With a report from Cedelf P. Tupas

Grabe talaga ang cover up ng FEU sa Gerilla controversy hanggang ngayon. ;)

glock23
08-02-2008, 11:14 PM
By Tina Santos

Grabe talaga ang cover up ng FEU sa Gerilla controversy hanggang ngayon. ;)

Gerilla, jeff chan....ask Anton why he disbanded his team 3 seasons ago. Ang hina naman ng mga pulis na 'to.

amdgc82
08-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Police gaining headway in probe
Sunday, August 3, 2008
The Philippine Star

The investigation into the shooting of FEU stalwart Mac Baracael gained some headway yesterday after the police viewed the digitally enhanced frame-by-frame version of the Philtrust Bank’s CCTV (closed-circuit television) tape.

In the enhanced version, investigators focused their attention on a man suspiciously standing on a street corner and was observed to be “restless” especially when Baracael and his two companions passed by.

The succeeding frames showed the man with outstretched arms and seemed to be pointing to the three players while a glint of light, which investigators said could be the gunshot, was observed in the same frame.

However, due to the blurred image, investigators could not still distinguish whether the subject person was holding a gun.

“We are now focused on that vital frame. We might seek the assistance of electronics and computer experts to further enhance that particular frame,” said homicide section head Chief Inspector Dominador Arevalo Jr.

When the frame is further enhanced, the witnesses will be called again to compare the man in the video with what they had actually seen during the shooting, Arevalo added.

Investigators also noted that at least three frames were missing on the sequence of time as shown on the tape, especially the crucial second before Baracael was shot.

Police are puzzled why the tape viewed by four witnesses is more blurred and hazy as compared with what police and media men viewed the first time. The tape was returned to the security personnel and was brought back the following day for viewing of the witnesses.

Meanwhile, the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group has started planting undercover operatives in UAAP games to closely look into reports that alleged “game-fixing” is rampant in the league.

Agents accompanied by someone who has knowledge of the game and the ins and outs of the league, in fact, watched yesterday’s game between defending champion De La Salle and University of the East at the Big Dome.

“We have already posted operatives to watch the UAAP games and warn those who are planning to rig games that they’re being watched,” Superintendent Mitchel Filart, chief of CIDG-Quezon City, told The STAR.

The NCR-CIDG headed by Atty. Ericson Velasquez and Filart had started getting inputs from UAAP board members, coaches and players to rid the league of game-fixing.

In fact, the police have started investigating some referees from the NABRO and some people who pose as liaison men of sports bookies who attend big games.

The CIDG already has the names of some of the referees being linked to alleged game-fixing, a report said.

These people are sent by the alleged betting syndicate to ensure that referees receive instruction 30 minutes before the match, according to police sources.

That’s why the police, as a preventive measure, have adviced the league to ban referees from using cellular phones during games.

“We should recommend a ban on cell phones when referees are inside the huddle room before the game,” said the same source. – Joey Villar, Non Alquitran, Nestor Etolle

eightyfiver
08-03-2008, 07:50 AM
^and probably include Bon Custodio as well.

Hiuwag na. Palusot lang naman iyon.

THE ONLOOKER
08-03-2008, 10:25 PM
In fact, the police have started investigating some referees from the NABRO and some people who pose as liaison men of sports bookies who attend big games.

Please investigate NABRO ref #16 and #20 for Christ sakes. Their game fixing chores are pretty obvious for anyone who knows to play basketball.

glock23
08-04-2008, 02:02 PM

Please investigate NABRO ref #16 and #20 for Christ sakes. Their game fixing chores are pretty obvious for anyone who knows to play basketball.

You really think that those two will squeal on who pays them if indeed it's true that they are involved in game fixing? just like all the unsolved crimes in our country, it's the mastermind who is left unnamed! Just like what i've always said, anyone you put to officiate college hoops will always be enticed by the the underworld to fix games. Thats how they make money and it will always exist. Sad but true! :(

A-boy97
08-04-2008, 11:51 PM

You really think that those two will squeal on who pays them if indeed it's true that they are involved in game fixing? just like all the unsolved crimes in our country, it's the mastermind who is left unnamed! Just like what i've always said, anyone you put to officiate college hoops will always be enticed by the the underworld to fix games. Thats how they make money and it will always exist. Sad but true! :(

So what do you suggest? All I've heard from you are pessimism and cynicism. Apathy and acceptance of an unjust system are culprits as well. If you're not part of the solution, then you're probably part of the problem. ;)

amdgc82
08-08-2008, 08:17 PM
http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=127698

Police issue artist's sketch of suspect in Baracael shooting

Manila police on Friday came out with an artist's sketch of a man who allegedly tailed Far Eastern University basketball player Marnel Baracael before he was shot on July 24 just outside the FEU gym near the corner of N. Reyes and R. Papa streets.

Chief Inspector Dominador Arevalo, head of the Manila Police District's Homicide Division, said the sketch was based on the statements of a witnesses who said that he saw the man following the varsity player several hours before the attack took place.

The unidentified witness said he saw the man tailing Baracael inside the Ever Gotesco mall. The same suspect was seen in the footage caught by the closed circuit television camera as he waited for Baracael at the corner of N. Reyes and R. Papa.

Arevalo also quoted the witness as saying that he heard the suspect talking to somebody on the telephone, uttering, "Hindi pwede dito, sir, maraming mabubulabog."

The police official added that probers are determining if the three men seen in the video waiting for Baracael was the victim's gunman.

Baracael, a power forward for the FEU Tamaraws in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines, was injured in a gun attack on July 24 as he was walking to buy food with fellow cagers Ron Cabagnot and Robert Kave.

The victim suffered a gunshot wound to the back.

Insiders believe that Baracael was attacked for revealing what he knows about a supposed game-fixing syndicate inside the UAAP. With a report from Maan Macapagal, ABS-CBN News

amdgc82
08-08-2008, 08:21 PM
http://www.gmanews.tv/story/112362/MPD-releases-sketch-of-alleged-lookout-in-Baracael-shooting

MPD releases sketch of alleged lookout in Baracael shooting
08/08/2008 | 12:52 PM

MANILA, Philippines - The Manila Police District (MPD) on Friday released the cartographic sketch of the alleged lookout in the shooting of Far Eastern University (FEU) varsity basketball player Marnel "Mac" Baracael in Manila last July 24.

MPD Homicide Section chief Dominador Arevalo said the sketch was based on the one of the witness' description of the suspect. He noted that the lookout was described as man aged between 38 to 40 years old, fair complexioned, and stands 5'2" to 5'3" tall.

Arevalo further said the witness noticed the suspect loitering around the FEU front gate in Morayta corner R. Papa St. in Sta. Cruz, Manila from July 22 to 24.

He also said that the witness overheard the suspect saying, "Maraming mabubulabog dito, sir (Many will be alarmed here sir)".

Arevalo added that the lookout was seen in the close circuit television two hours before Baracael was shot. "The witness positively identified the man in the CCTV as the same man he saw in front of FEU gate," he said. - GMANews.TV

glock23
08-08-2008, 11:18 PM

So what do you suggest? All I've heard from you are pessimism and cynicism. Apathy and acceptance of an unjust system are culprits as well. If you're not part of the solution, then you're probably part of the problem. ;)

hey sherlock, if you've been reading the other threads you would have seen my post there stating that political will is what we need to stop all these syndicates. joe scoundrel even agreed to my proposal. Our law enforcement agencies know who they are and if we just turn a blind eye for a week we can eradicate these underworld scum by using vigilantes. Wipe out all the criminal elements to kingdom come for all i care! But im just being real with my statements here because i know that no one has the balls to do it....thats where my pessimism comes from! entiendes?....Now what do you suggest einstein?

A-boy97
08-10-2008, 12:28 PM

So what do you suggest?* All I've heard from you are pessimism and cynicism.* Apathy and acceptance of an unjust system are culprits as well.* If you're not part of the solution, then you're probably part of the problem. ;)

hey sherlock, if you've been reading the other threads you would have seen my post there stating that political will is what we need to stop all these syndicates.* joe scoundrel even agreed to my proposal. Our law enforcement agencies know who they are and if we just turn a blind eye for a week we can eradicate these underworld scum by using vigilantes. Wipe out all the criminal elements to kingdom come for all i care! But im just being real with my statements here because i know that no one has the balls to do it....thats where my pessimism comes from! entiendes?....Now what do you suggest einstein?

Great suggestion, fixing a wrong with another wrong. Is that what you learn from your la salle education? It doesn't take an einstein to come up with proactive ideas to fix this problem. The simplest solution might be the hardest. Instead of turning a blind eye, why not OPEN one's eye. Two words, STOP BETTING!

full battle gear
08-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Okay, A-boy97 and glock23, that is enough. Consider this a warning. You can disagree without calling each other names.

THE ONLOOKER
08-10-2008, 08:13 PM
I was wondering why my favorite NABRO ref was not present on the Saturday and Sunday's games.

Na-imbestigahan na kaya, napatunayan na, o masyado malaki ang kinita kaya nagbabakasyon muna.

nastrans
08-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Well speculation mo yan, hindi ng pulis hindi ng UAAP....

glock23
08-10-2008, 10:17 PM

hey sherlock, if you've been reading the other threads you would have seen my post there stating that political will is what we need to stop all these syndicates. joe scoundrel even agreed to my proposal. Our law enforcement agencies know who they are and if we just turn a blind eye for a week we can eradicate these underworld scum by using vigilantes. Wipe out all the criminal elements to kingdom come for all i care! But im just being real with my statements here because i know that no one has the balls to do it....thats where my pessimism comes from! entiendes?....Now what do you suggest einstein?

Great suggestion, fixing a wrong with another wrong. Is that what you learn from your la salle education? It doesn't take an einstein to come up with proactive ideas to fix this problem. The simplest solution might be the hardest. Instead of turning a blind eye, why not OPEN one's eye. Two words, STOP BETTING!

Well, joe scoundrel agrees with me and he's an atenean! ;D And mind you, i never bet on games as it's not my style. Sa golf lang ako may pusta to make things a little more interesting. Here's a suggestion, you come up with a STOP BETTING campaign and i promise to be your number one supporter. :)

pepman
08-17-2008, 09:19 PM
Pray for Baracael!

Magaling na po ba siya?

NEWS RUSH!
Etong si Robert Kave ay babalik sa Pinas!

Dark Knight
08-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Mac baracael is already out of the hospital. My colleague saw him at the FEU gym, not practicing but in a room and never went out.

Whats your source about Kave returning?

You can post your answer at the Charge Of The Tamaraws section. Thanks.

myktristan
08-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Nail-Biter Week, Baracael Back In Practice
by Tony L. Atayde
http://www.inboundpass.com/2008/08/20/nail-biter-week-baracael-back-in-practice/

There are Interesting games coming up this week. On Thursday, Ateneo meets UE and this will definitely be a good game.

UE has to win to keep its Final Four drive on track. The Red Warriors are trying to catch FEU in 3rd place and even have a chance at the 2nd seed if they win all their remaining games. A loss by the Blue Eagles will put them in a tie with La Salle and only 1 game ahead of FEU.

UST will be playing NU on Saturday and a loss by the Growling Tigers will end their Final Four chances. UST still has a mathematical chance of getting a tie for 4th place if they win all their games and the top teams lose.

DLSU goes up against FEU also on Saturday and they will be doing it without Coach Franz Pumaren. A win by La Salle will solidify their hold on 2nd place. A win by FEU will put them in a tie for 2nd with La Salle. For the tiebreaker, FEU will have to beat La Salle by more than 9 points to stay ahead.
On Sunday UE faces Adamson, a team they lost to in the first round. The Falcons will come In with a lot of confidence after that first round win.

This will surely be a week that will make the Final Four either clearer or very uncertain in terms of standings.
I learned from a very reliable source that Robert Kave is not coming back this year, as earlier reported. He is said to be returning next season.

The good news is that FEU’s Mac Baracael is back practicing with the team. It was reported that he even had a monster dunk in practice. I guess the Tamaraws are getting ready for the Final Four.

It will be great to see Baracael back in uniform and I am sure that Coach Glen Capacio is hoping to get this addition to his depleted line-up. If Baracael returns, expect the Tamaraws to be very motivated to win every game.

Depending on how far the Philippine Youth Team gets in their tournament in Iran, Franz Pumaren may be back only when the Final Four begins. I hope the Green Archers win at least 2 games while he is away.
Looks like Chris Tiu lost his luster in their last game against Adamson when he scored only 2 points. Lucky for Ateneo that Eric “The Tongue” Salamat came out strong.

With the regular season coming to an end, expect the bad officiating to get even worse. I don’t think that the referees are able to keep up with the pressure.

Unconfirmed reports have it that the Commissioner will be back next year when FEU hosts Season 72. If this is true, then it will be rewarding a person for a terrible job this year. I hope these reports are false.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to this article by Tony Atayde, Mac will be back before the final four..so I guess he's really doing well na and no signs of trauma are present..good luck to the Tamaraws!

amdgc82
08-29-2008, 06:34 AM
Bullet can’t stop Baracael
By Reuben Terrado
Correspondent
www.businessmirror.com.ph
“HE’S back.”

Those words from stadium barker Rolly Manlapaz echoed throughout the Araneta Coliseum when comebacking Far Eastern University (FEU) standout Marnel “Mac” Baracael scored a jumper from the right corner with five seconds left in the third quarter. JR Cawaling drove to the basket and kicked it out to an open Baracael, and when he scored, everybody went wild.

That jumper underscored the relief from what Baracael went through after he was shot in the back in July.

“Happy ako kasi nakabalik na ako para matulungan ang team,” the 23-year-old Baracael said after FEU defeated National University (NU), 64-60. “Masaya ako na nakapaglaro din. Medyo may konting sakit pa sa left ribs pero OK lang.”

Baracael needed his determination and even luck for a speedy recovery and return to action after missing seven games in the UAAP.

“Iniisip ko lang na kailangan kong makabalik dahil future ko rin iyon. Last year ko na so kailangan ko nang matulungan ang team ko,” said Baracael, a native of Pagbilao, Quezon.

FEU athletic director Mark Molina said the bullet that pierced Baracael went between two ribs. Had it hit a rib, he would have been out for at least four months.

“Tinamaan iyong dalawa [ribs] pero daplis lang. That is the reason na mabilis ang recovery niya. May konting swerte pa rin,” Molina added.

Anton Montinola, FEU representative to the UAAP board, said Baracael helped himself get back to recovery. “He ate well and took vitamins, like calcium. He really wanted to come back,” said Montinola.

Then came the good news.

Doctors cleared Baracael to play sports two-and-a-half weeks ago because his lungs, which got punctured, had completely healed, although he still can’t go into full contact scrimmages. The ribs healed for another two weeks, and on Monday Baracael finally joined full-contact practices.

“Coach [Glenn] suggested that Mac return to get a feel of the game and he will be in shape for the Final Four,” said Molina.

“Out of sync pa rin ako [in practice] kasi nag-aalangan pa rin ako. Sa ngayon, nasa 70 percent na ako,” said Baracael.

He went to the shootaround before the NU game looking confident. He even tried to dunk the ball, which he missed.

“Mas nakaka-dunk ako dati kesa ngayon. Nag-aalangan pa rin ako dahil baka sumakit ribs ko,” he said.

Baracael entered the game with 2:16 left in the first and FEU leading, 13-9, and finished the quarter without touching the ball.

He returned in the third quarter for four minutes. He missed his first shot—a triple—before making the twinner, FEU’s final basket to end the third quarter, putting the Tamaraws ahead, 56-48. He also grabbed his lone rebound in the third. “Para akong rookie,” said Baracael on his basket.

FEU coach Glenn Capacio was very satisfied with his ward’s play.

“Siyempre naiintindihan ko iyong injury niya. Eto bala ito. Makita ko lang si Mac na nasa floor OK na ako. Makita ko lang siya na buhay parang nag-champion na ako,” Capacio said.

full battle gear
08-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Returning Baracael fires up Tamaraws

Friday, August 29, 2008
www.philstar.com

Mac Baracael felt like a rookie as he plunged back into action yesterday, more than a month after surviving a gunshot wound that almost ended his promising career.

“I’m happy I was given this second chance. I felt like a rookie,” said the FEU superstar who stunned a lot of people when he showed up at the Araneta Coliseum.

Baracael suited up against NU. He played for six minutes, missed his first attempt but scored on a jumper with five seconds left in the third period.

That basket gave FEU a 56-48 lead, and the rest of the Tamaraws the needed inspiration to hold off the Bulldogs and prevail, 64-60.

Baracael also managed a rebound. When he made the basket, the coliseum barker, Rolly Manlapaz, announced his return by saying, “He’s back!”

“I’m happy, it’s like a first time for me to make that shot. I felt like a rookie,” said Baracael who missed seven games as a result of the gunshot wound.
Investigators are still digging deep into the case.

“This game was really for him (Baracael). We’re in the Final Four now because of him,” said teammate Andy Barroca.

After the game, Baracael said he never leaves without his rosary. He kept it under his shorts as he played on the court.

He said it’s his way saying thanks for his miraculous recovery and a new lease on life.

“Since it happened, I always pray (harder) now. I’m happy I was given this second chance,” said the 23-year-old Baracael who’s now on his last season in the UAAP.
He’s just too glad to be back. – Joey Villar

blue_eagle
08-29-2008, 11:46 PM
Whats happening to the investigation of the shooting? Kalimutan na lang ba?

bg_eagle
08-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Whats happening to the investigation of the shooting? Kalimutan na lang ba?

Its too publicized to be forgotten. Pumasok na rin sa eksena si Mayor Lim so hindi nakalimutan yan.

So its either of 2 things:
1. Malakas ang mastermind;
2. Our police force is so ineffective that they might not even have any leads.

Might be both.

pablohoney
08-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Glad that he has made a complete recovery.

Hopefully, hindi masama sa mga "unsolved cases" ang kaso niya.

Schortsanitis
04-25-2009, 03:27 PM
I would just like to check on what happened to this case. It seems to me, that after nine months, no suspect has been apprehended yet, and you begin to wonder if this case is ever going to be solved. Which is surprising, because you'd think that with all the resources and groups available to the UAAP, they would be able to go after the perpetrators that threaten the league.

Apparently, if the PNP, NBI and even Mayor Lim can't do anything against those groups and syndicates probably involved in this shooting, that goes to show how strong they really are, and that they will be back, with a vengeance.

'Di kaya, e', so expect more players to be intimidated by the fact that nobody was caught, and that the syndicates are back in business. Which is too bad, because once these syndicates start affecting game outcomes more, then that will eventually affect the league negatively.

THE ONLOOKER
06-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Where's the killer now? Waiting to target another player who will not agree on his demands? ::)