PDA

View Full Version : UAAP Season 71 Game 5: DLSU Green Archers vs. AdU Soaring Falcons

bigfreeze_bibby
07-21-2008, 01:31 PM
The Green Archers will try to extend their winning streak to four games as they face the dangerous Adamson Soaring Falcons on Thursday. The Falcons' morale is way up in the heavens as of the moment because of their big win against the UE Red Warriors yesterday. The Archers must have seen that game since it will be their guide on their game against the Falcons on Thursday. If La Salle wants to book their fourth win this season, they shouldn't start the same way they started against NU last Saturday because if that's the case, it's like inviting disaster for the Archers as it will allow Adamson to start strong and gain headway throughout the game.

Vastly improved Mike Galinato will face his former team and will bang bodies against Walsham, Ferdinand, and Batricevic. I won't be surprised if Maui Villanueva will be used as well at times to defend Galinato just like what La Salle did to Jervy Cruz in some stretches of their game last week. The cat-quick guards Alvarez and Canada will try to provide mismatches again just like what they did to the Archers in their Nike Summer League game to inflict DLSU's first loss in that summer tournament. Revilla and Atkins should be up to the task of matching the intensity of those guards not to allow them to set up the tempo early in the game.

Veterans Paul Gonzalgo and Mark Agustin will also be dangerous from almost anywhere in the field since both of these guys can work inside and outside. Gonzalgo had a field day and had his way against Marcy Arellano yesterday and he will for sure force Casio, Barua, Malabes and Bagatsing to play defense and focus on him. I see Agustin being taken cared of by Mangahas or Villanueva on the defensive end. Colina is another big man to look at since he's a big man who can play with his back to the basket or do dribble penetrations from the perimeter. Boxing out will be the key as well since Galinato, Agustin, and Colina can all pose problems to us in the defensive glass.

Nobody should take this game lightly because La Salle had a hard time with these guys back in their summer league match ups and Adamson is just one game behind the Archers so beating La Salle on Thursday will mean a tie with the Green Archers for the 2nd or 3rd spots in the standings. I just hope that the drive and focus will be there for the Archers right from the start and set the tone early and someone will have his big game as well following what Malabes and Barua did for the past two games for the Archers. This will be very important so that other teams will have to adjust their game plans in the middle of the game and to disrupt their plans on the team focusing on the usual suspects.

eightyfiver
07-23-2008, 08:38 AM
DLSU will win by 15 or more.

myktristan
07-23-2008, 09:03 AM

Might not be a walk in the park for the Archers since Galinato, Gonzalgo and Cañada might pose some threat, but i will probably say Archers will lead by 10-15 points.. ;D

GHRanger
07-23-2008, 09:54 AM
I feel that this game will be decided on the depth of the bench again -- similar to the one that happened to NU. If both teams rotate their players well, this will be a close match.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Me thinks that the game will be decided by 10 points or less. Ayoko gumawa ng predictions, sablay ako sa mga ganyan e hehe.

The_Big_Cat
07-23-2008, 10:38 AM
I think Galinato has something to prove to La Salle.

nel
07-23-2008, 10:51 AM
By this time, all the coaches will have had enough time to do their scouting of all the teams. Both Franz and Leo will have a good idea of how each other's team will play, so expect some specific plays to be designed for tomorrow's game.

Franz is still tinkering with his lineup, and with the emergence of so many options on offense, it will be difficult to say exactly who will step up tomorrow. Franz's ace is the unpredictability of his team, because the last 2 games have seen so many different combinations on the floor. Marko is getting more playing time, and as the season progresses, he may just be that x-factor in the paint that the Archers have been missing since last year. When he's on the floor, it allows Rico to freelance a bit more.

For the Falcons, the key players have been identified, and some specific measures will probably be drawn up to counteract their favorite moves. The Falcons will come out tomorrow with a lot of confidence after that upset win over UE. Come to think of it, that shouldn't be so unexpected, because Coach Leo is great at bringing out the best in his team. Galinato has lost a lot of his baby fat, and is finally proving why he was so highly regarded coming out of high school. This is another team that does well on the boards, so the Archers will have their work cut out for them in the rebounding area.

The Archers' track record against the Falcons is 1-1 this pre-season, with the win coming in overtime.

glock23
07-23-2008, 02:02 PM
I think Galinato has something to prove to La Salle.

We know of his capabilities on the hard court, it's his capability in the classroom that caused his premature departure from dlsu. We are happy he was able to find a home in adamson and proud that he is playing well. :)

bchoter
07-23-2008, 03:38 PM
He'll bring his classcards

glock23
07-23-2008, 04:06 PM
He'll bring his classcards

As if it matters :)

eightyfiver
07-24-2008, 08:02 AM
The rookie from NU, Mark Mendoza made a very good account of himself during the last game. I think he should be given more playing time than Marko or Ferdie.

tactix
07-24-2008, 02:34 PM
hey guys any updates sa game? can't watch eh.

theunderdog
07-24-2008, 03:46 PM
12 point lead by DLSU . 3 mins and change.

GHRanger
07-24-2008, 04:02 PM

Final : DLSU 76 - ADU 61

glock23
07-24-2008, 04:09 PM

Final : DLSU 76 - ADU 61

Awesome game from maui, bader and barua along with the usual A-games from JV and Rico. We managed to win by 15 despite our point guards feeling under the weather. Good defensive game!

ANIMO LASALLE!!!

bchoter
07-24-2008, 04:48 PM
This is what's scary about DLSU. In the past games that I saw the Archers never looked overwhelmingly better than their oppononents but they still manage to win save for the ADMU game.

The sum is far greater than the parts.

glock23
07-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Good that Marko is getting his minutes and he played good honest "D" on galinato. He has to be given some time on the court to give him confidence to stop the top big men of the 'other' teams. We trust that come 2nd round we will be able to defend the paint very very well.

ANIMO LASALLE!!!

The_Big_Cat
07-24-2008, 07:41 PM

Great prediction. ;D

The Archer's bench proved to be much stronger. Adamson failed to sustain their offense after a good run in the middle of the third period. La Salle was simply the more talented team.

GHRanger
07-24-2008, 08:58 PM
This is a new stat --

16 Fouls each team.
DLSU only shot 4 FTs.
Adamson parang 8 lang ata.

Eto pa, both teams employed the press...

It seems may nakabara sa Pito. :P

glock23
07-24-2008, 09:51 PM
This is a new stat --

16 Fouls each team.
DLSU only shot 4 FTs.
Adamson parang 8 lang ata.

Eto pa, both teams employed the press...

It seems may nakabara sa Pito. :P

Baka pinakain ng polvoron. ;D

batangueño
07-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Great game by the Archers, most especially JV, Rico and Maui. I especially have to commend Maui because he really took advantage of all the open looks that he got. The Archers was also able to adjust to Coach Leo Austria's brand of basketball and the kind officiating that NABRO had. ;D

As for Adamson, great game by Mark Agustin and Jan Colina. These two guys carried the Falcons and almost threatened the Archers.

P.S.: Officials for today's ball game:

DLSU vs ADU: Rico Tan, Hector Villanueva, John Estrada

cub
07-24-2008, 10:22 PM
nice game from the Archers. what i like most about this team is that, you don't know who to guard. everybody has the capacity to contribute. Casio and Maierhofer are obviously given but guys like Mangahas and Malabes (who exploded vs. UST), Barua (vs. NU) and now, Villanueva (vs. AdU) are providing the help that the duo needs. hopefully, Revilla and Webb will have their breakout game vs. UP. :)

sa_pula
07-24-2008, 11:29 PM
^^ parang UE last season pala DLSU ngayon hindi alam kung sinong puputok

espnfanatic
07-25-2008, 06:38 AM
I like the way La Salle is playing now. They have a lot of weapons, a lot of outside shooters. The only team that worries me is Ateneo.

glock23
07-25-2008, 02:38 PM
I like the way La Salle is playing now. They have a lot of weapons, a lot of outside shooters. The only team that worries me is Ateneo.

too early to tell if ateneo is indeed worth worrying about. With 19 missed free throws we only lost by 6 points remember? Mahaba pa ang season! No worries bro! ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
07-25-2008, 07:04 PM
I like the way La Salle is playing now. They have a lot* of weapons, a lot of outside shooters. The only team that worries me is Ateneo.

too early to tell if ateneo is indeed worth worrying about. With 19 missed free throws we only lost by 6 points remember? Mahaba pa ang season! No worries bro!* ;D

Plus the shit refs who called phantom fouls on both sides. :D

We'll be ready for them come 2nd round.

ON topic: Maui Villanueva showcasing his skills in this game. Saw him make a bunch of short jumpers, a layup there and another follow-up. Plus his long arms on defense bothering the Adamson bigs.