PDA

View Full Version : Referee suspended

Istorbo
07-16-2008, 08:35 PM
My batchmates received a text message that Chito Narvasa reportedly will be suspending a referee indefinitely for game fixing allegations during the recent DLSU-FEU match.

I'll try to get more info.

easter
07-16-2008, 09:19 PM
:'( This doesn't look good for the UAAP.

true.blue
07-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Full text is: Nabro ref Ryan Tabanag is suspended indefinitely by UAAP Commissioner Chito Narvasa for game fixing. Due to the non-call on a foul against FEU vs DLSU, and then calling 2 technical fouls vs FEU which all in all gave DLSU an 11 point swing all in the last 2 minutes.

canmaker
07-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Nakuupooo, huwag na natin pagusapan ito muna, at baka sabihin naman ng ibang schools na alam ng ateneo ito in advance dahil Atenista si Commish Narvasa ...

Let's just wait for any formal announcement, kung totoo man ito ...

gfy
07-17-2008, 01:04 AM
It's ok to talk about this. It will be in the papers anyway tomorrow. It doesn't mean that DLSU was involved. Baka nabayaran lang ng Binondo. I found it very strange at that time this referee was making almost all the calls in the last few minutes of that game.

batangueño
07-17-2008, 01:13 AM
So, isn't this a reflection of Konsumisyoner Narvasa not having control over his NABRO boys? Yes, it is good that he is doing something to curb game-fixing practices and dubious calls but then these things could have been prevented if only he has real control over the officials.

Oh well. I better bring my ID next time or else the Konsumisyoner will give me a technical foul for not having an ID. ;D

roydevesa
07-17-2008, 01:35 AM
So, isn't this a reflection of Konsumisyoner Narvasa not having control over his NABRO boys? Yes, it is good that he is doing something to curb game-fixing practices and dubious calls but then these things could have been prevented if only he has real control over the officials.

Oh well. I better bring my ID next time or else the Konsumisyoner will give me a technical foul for not having an ID. ;D

Most likely, game-fixing has been going on since NABRO took over refereeing the UAAP. It's only Chito who started acting on it. This is not about control. This issue is about keeping the UAAP clean.

Apparently, your stab at Chito Narvasa stems from the technical foul he gave to DLSU after seeing Franz not wearing his ID. UST got away, but then, nobody's perfect. Also, I remember Ateneo getting a technical foul at the start of the 4th quarter, for some reason that is not directly related to the court action, I think.

Man, I really hate how you annoy everyone at Oblation Nation...

batangueño
07-17-2008, 01:42 AM
There is only one question that I wanted to ask the UP representatives (Sergio Cao and Hercules Callanta) and other members of the UAAP board:

After all the irregularities and the controversies that the NABRO boys were involved in during Season 70, why bring them back in Season 71? ::)

That's my opinion. Others are entitled to theirs. If they have an opinion about me, I don't care. Besides, I have my own opinions on things and I don't give a damn about what people think about my opinions since I am entitled to my opinions. Why would I think of other people's opinions anyway? They are not my provider. ;)

roydevesa
07-17-2008, 01:49 AM
See... There is no flaw on Chito's part.

On the other hand, I really hate the fact that my other alma mater brought back the NABRO people. I agree with you on this one. I mean, I'm pretty sure UP was on the receiving end of NABRO's shady calls in the previous two seasons. This may have something to do with Joe Lipa, but that's another story already.

batangueño
07-17-2008, 01:56 AM
Well, in case of Chito Narvasa, I guess the UAAP board members are more than aware of the fact that he performed an absolutely ugly job when he was NCAA commissioner, including that instance when he dared one fan of, if I am not mistaken, Letran to a fistfight. NCAA people despised him and they were more than happy to get rid of him but right now, they are laughing at us because we hired the NCAA rejects (referring to Narvasa and the NABRO boys who officiated at NCAA basketball games last year) for this season.

If Cao and Callanta bypassed Lipa as a choice for UAAP commissioner (I am pretty certain though that aside from Cao and Callanta, some other UAAP board members also had a grudge with Da Nose), I would not be surprised because of nature of the relationship that they have right now. However, I just could not believe their rationale for naming Narvasa as UAAP commissioner despite his lousy and absolutely ugly job at the NCAA and for bringing back the NABRO boys despite the irregularities and the controversies in officiating last UAAP season.

roydevesa
07-17-2008, 02:04 AM
make that the past two basketball seasons.

Why do you hate Chito? I mean, okay they hated him at the NCAA, but let's cut him some slack and give him a clean slate coming into the UAAP. Let's not judge early.

batangueño
07-17-2008, 02:17 AM
Okay. Chito is entering the UAAP with a "clean slate" but then garbage is still garbage. If he performed an ugly job at the NCAA, then why give him the chance to do the same in the UAAP? I mean, bakit hahayaan nating paglaruan niya ang liga natin pagkatapos ng ginawa niya sa NCAA? His lousy and ugly performance as NCAA commissioner should have been more than enough to warn us of giving him the position of UAAP commissioner. ???

a70
07-17-2008, 05:35 AM
good job narvasa for acting swiftly. hmmm I sure hope the smell doesnt go as far as taft ;D

chorizo
07-17-2008, 06:50 AM
good job narvasa for acting swiftly. hmmm I sure hope the smell doesnt go as far as taft ;D

That's probably why they want him out asap.

We've had NABRO since when?, 2005 or 2006? Yet it is only now that we've heard of a referee being suspended on suspicion of game-fixing. I say good job Narvasa . . . for now. :)

bluetruck
07-17-2008, 07:22 AM
:'( This doesn't look good for the UAAP.

it doesnt look good for DLSU! parati na lang involved sa fixing! pep test then this one. i expect the half priests to file a protest and appeal the suspension. but i admire the commi for his decisiveness!

jkad
07-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Everyone's too quick to condemn La Salle when there's no proof yet that anyone connected to La Salle is involved. It doesn't look good either that the Ateneo community already knows about this even before there's an official announcement. Right now, it seems Narvasa is too focused on La Salle, why hasn't he come out and questioned the non-call on Yuri's foot hitting the ball (albeit inadvertently) from Casio's hands that should have given the ball back to La Salle and reset the shot clock?

5FootCarrot
07-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Moved this thread from the BEN to here because I think it's more of a league-wide issue and Ateneo didn't have anything to do with it :P Jump_Shooter, please do what thou wilt with this one.

I agree with jkad, just because the ref seemed to be skewing the game in favor of La Salle doesn't mean La Salle itself had anything to do with it. It's also possible that the ref was in the payroll of the gambling syndicates who just happened to have bet on La Salle this time or something.

Anyway, a report on the suspension is in today's Philippine Star, but only in the hardcopy edition.

true.blue
07-17-2008, 08:01 AM
It doesn't look good either that the Ateneo community already knows about this even before there's an official announcement.*

All the schools were given the memo by the commissioner at the same time yesterday.

easter
07-17-2008, 08:03 AM
The NBI should now move on the case just like in the NCAA last year.

true.blue
07-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Right now, it seems Narvasa is too focused on La Salle, why hasn't he come out and questioned the non-call on Yuri's foot hitting the ball (albeit inadvertently) from Casio's hands that should have given the ball back to La Salle and reset the shot clock?

I can only surmise that before making a major decision as sacking a referee, the authorities have to make sure there is damning, if not a preponderance of evidence to make a conclusion. *Three controversial and game-changing calls by a single ref in the last 2 minutes seem to fit that bill.

Also, it's one thing to sack a referee. It's a totally different and more serious matter to have a game replayed (e.g. the Yuri case you pointed out). It remains to be seen whether FEU will use Chito Narvasa's decision in sacking the referee as a basis for protesting the game. But I suppose the time allowed to protest the game has already lapsed.

5FootCarrot
07-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Hey, this reminds me of the suspension of a referee in 2004, because of a controversial call on (?) Don Yabut in the first-round FEU-NU game. FEU na naman. :o Coincidence? I think not! [/kooky conspiracy theorist moment]

PS I'm just kidding about the "coincidence" bit. :)

augustine
07-17-2008, 08:23 AM
i think what's happening is good for the uaap - and Philippine basketball! I think we all know that we need to clean up the officiating. And what's happening today sends the message to the refs - and hopefully those behind the manipulations - that you will not get away with it. At least not for long.

Narvasa should be commended for his courage. It would have been so easy to be laid back and let it be "business as usual." We may not agree with his individual decisions (La Salle ID technical, for example), but directionally, he deserves the support of all true basketball fans.

bluetruck
07-17-2008, 08:34 AM
i think what's happening is good for the uaap - and Philippine basketball! I think we all know that we need to clean up the officiating. And what's happening today sends the message to the refs - and hopefully those behind the manipulations - that you will not get away with it. At least not for long.

Narvasa should be commended for his courage. It would have been so easy to be laid back and let it be "business as usual." We may not agree with his individual decisions (La Salle ID technical, for example), but directionally, he deserves the support of all true basketball fans.

you have to admire this year's host for the having the political will to institute reforms.

eightyfiver
07-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Ang dami ng na-suspend this year. May natitira pa bang referee ang NABRO? Makakapito pa ba ng maayos itong natitira na ito. Maybe it would be better to just change the whole set of referees.

The_Big_Cat
07-17-2008, 08:50 AM
The referee should be prosecuted in the courts! Para malaman ang mga taong nasa likod.

atenista_comm
07-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Ang dami ng na-suspend this year. May natitira pa bang referee ang NABRO? Makakapito pa ba ng maayos itong natitira na ito. Maybe it would be better to* just change the whole set of referees.

Better that they all be suspended.

Especially that Ref Manalac! :angry:

Something odd: the green site is silent about this issue... hmmmmmmmmm... hyukhyukhyukhyukhyuk!!!

The_Big_Cat
07-17-2008, 09:36 AM
From Mornings @ ANC:

It was reported that the two suspicious calls were:
1. In the last two minutes, a non-call when an FEU player attempted a 3-point shot.
2. The FEU bench reacted to the non-call and got a technical foul.

There will be a press conference this afternoon before the games.

5FootCarrot
07-17-2008, 10:18 AM
you have to admire this year's host for the having the political will to institute reforms.*

I would have preferred it if this year's host had engaged an officiating body other than NABRO in the first place, regardless of the additional cost, but I do appreciate the monitoring mechanism that they have put in place this year. It's an acceptable alternative considering that money is tight these days and people have to economize where they can.

I hope that the succeeding hosts will take a lesson from the experiences of this season and we'll all enjoy better officiating this year and in those to come.

a70
07-17-2008, 10:25 AM
I don't think anyone is condemning DLSU.--Its just funny that after the ID issue---here comes the Ref issue---parang quits na nabro and dlsu---hehe----kidding aside, I hope someone gets arrested----

bluetruck
07-17-2008, 10:29 AM
I don't think anyone is condemning DLSU.--Its just funny that after the ID issue---here comes the Ref issue---parang quits na nabro and dlsu---hehe----kidding aside, I hope someone gets arrested----

seguro naman hindi bigotillo ang isa mga makukulong ha ha ha!

Istorbo
07-17-2008, 10:32 AM
The suspicions basically go around two possible angles.One is that the results were being altered in terms of winning and losing.The other is that the spread was being met.

Nothing is certain as of now but I think the presscon later is set to describe the courses of action.

bluewing
07-17-2008, 10:58 AM
ang praning naman ng lasal kung isipin pa nilang sila nanaman ang pinupunterya ng isyung ito...

Raging Blue
07-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Has a Pandora's Box been opened? Abangan.

gfy
07-17-2008, 11:01 AM
^ If the referee begins to talk, yes.

Joescoundrel
07-17-2008, 11:19 AM
I really couldn't care less about the referee himself - maledukadong pobre lang siya and he obviously wanted the money more than he thought of his job and his responsibility as a game official.

What I do want is for him to definitively point out who paid him, what he was paid for, who else is on the take, and how long to his knowledge all of this has been going on.

Then I want arrest/s made, charges filed, then for the authorities to do everything to make certain the a--holes behind this either all go to jail or wind up in a back alley with a smoking frag hole behind the head.

glock23
07-17-2008, 11:37 AM
I really couldn't care less about the referee himself - maledukadong pobre lang siya and he obviously wanted the money more than he thought of his job and his responsibility as a game official.

What I do want is for him to definitively point out who paid him, what he was paid for, who else is on the take, and how long to his knowledge all of this has been going on.

Then I want arrest/s made, charges filed, then for the authorities to do everything to make certain the a--holes behind this either all go to jail or wind up in a back alley with a smoking frag hole behind the head.

yan ang pinakamagandang dapat mangyari. If that happens wiped out ang UAAP! Lets get it on!!! ;D You have my full support on this one joe.

Kid Cubao
07-17-2008, 11:45 AM
ewan ko, pero i will reserve judgment until after the commissioner announces the underlying reasons for referee tabaniag's indefinite suspension. what's clear at this point, though, is that in exercising his duties and responsibilities as a basketball referee, mr. tabaniag revealed two things:

1. his incompetence
2. his abuse of power

now whether his incompetence and abuse of power revealed his technical shortcomings or his rotten integrity, yan ang abangan natin.

glock23
07-17-2008, 11:49 AM

you have to admire this year's host for the having the political will to institute reforms.

UP's own Nick Jorge is part of NABRO.

Istorbo
07-17-2008, 11:55 AM
If it can happen in the NBA, it can happen here much much more easily.

glock23
07-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Most likely, game-fixing has been going on since NABRO took over refereeing the UAAP. It's only Chito who started acting on it. This is not about control. This issue is about keeping the UAAP clean.

On the contrary roy, game fixing has been happening since way way back! Everytime gambling syndicates are involved, fixing will occur. If they could penetrate the NBA, why not a third world university league. if we really want to fix this whole thing....go after the syndicates!

glock23
07-17-2008, 12:05 PM

thats tantamount to suicide! they wont get anything from them, bastards!

BigBlue
07-17-2008, 12:07 PM

thats tantamount to suicide! they wont get anything from them, bastards!

toto yan, at yan ang dapat ikalungkot. i fervently hope and pray that this will not end with the suspension of only one ref.

Raging Blue
07-17-2008, 12:11 PM
As the articles with regard to the referee suspension are not available in the internet editions of the Philippine Star and Philippine Daily Inquirer, I am posting them below in verbatim with the proper acknowledgments as found in the two dailies' hard copies.

Note: For the Phil. Daily Inquirer, I omitted the portion referring to the UST vs. La Salle game this afternoon.

UAAP sacks erring referee
The Philippine Star
Sports Section
Thursday, July 17, 2008

One of the referees who worked the game between La Salle and FEU last Saturday at the Philsports Arena was suspended for not following the guidelines set by the UAAP.

Referee Bryan Tabanag erred in calling an unsportsmanlike foul on FEU guard Marc Barroca as he chased a La Salle player in the crucial stages of the game.

Commissioner Narvasa confirmed the suspicion.

”I suspended the referee for not following the guidelines and instructions laid down to protect the integrity of the game,” Narvasa said.

Barroca looked so stunned after being slapped the unsportsmanlike foul that awarded two free throws and ball possession to La Salle, which won 73.62. The game was tighter than the score would suggest.

Tabanag, who has worked bigger games in the past, also slapped a technical foul on FEU coach Glen Capacio for entering the court as he apparently questioned a call during the game.

“There are guidelines to be followed and one of them is maximum tolerance. Referees should not make extra extra-ordinary calls that may result to free throws and may decide the outcome of the game,” the source said.

“If the referees can talk to the coaches or the players, especially during the crucial stages of a tight contest, they should. But unless of course it’s flagrant or too obvious,” he added.

“If there are guidelines and instructions for the players and coaches to follow then the referees have to follow theirs, too. And these are all meant to preserve the integrity of the league.”

Last week, Narvasa slapped a one-game suspension on the referees that officiated the La Salle-Ateneo contest last July 6 at the Araneta Coliseum.

===============================

UAAP referee axed for the rest of the season
Game-fixing the reason?

By Musong R. Castillo and Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
Sports Section
Thursday, July 17, 2008

UAAP COMMISSIONER DROPPED THE AX ON THE REFEREE who worked the match between Las Salle and FEU last Saturday, a reliable source told the Inquirer late last night.

The source identified the referee as Ryan Tabaniag, who was suspended for the rest of the 71st UAAP basketball season by Narvasa for alleged game-fixing, the source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said.

The decision was arrived at last night by Narvasa, who cited two controversial calls a a non-call inside the final two minutes of the Archers-Tamaraws game won by La Salle 73-62.

The source said a memorandum was already circulated to the member schools regarding the suspension. This was confirmed by a high-ranking UAAP official who also refused to be named.

“All the board members received the memo [the other day],” said the official, who refused to discuss the contents of the memorandum.

The_Big_Cat
07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
Three things that could happen:

1. Replay the entire game.
2. Replay the last two minutes or
3. No replay at all.

atenean_blooded
07-17-2008, 12:39 PM

Agreed.

SUS PEN DED!

SUS PEN DED!

SUS PEN DED!

Yung referee. ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Narvasa ikaw na lang mag-referee! O kaya mag-resign ka na lang.

Sam Miguel
07-17-2008, 12:42 PM

yan ang pinakamagandang dapat mangyari. If that happens wiped out ang UAAP! Lets get it on!!! ;D You have my full support on this one joe.

Glock, if the league folds then the league folds. Examples should be made to protect the game.

atenista_comm
07-17-2008, 01:14 PM

And what's your point?

pyro_m
07-17-2008, 01:34 PM
O kaya mag-resign ka na lang.

Bakit?

glock23
07-17-2008, 01:36 PM

Glock, if the league folds then the league folds. Examples should be made to protect the game.

thats what i wrote. I couldnt agree with you more! I even want to see a full blown investigation or a senate inquiry to finally put an end to this circus. It's about freakin' time it happened! only for this would i commend narvasa for a job well done....that is if the problem is finally solved and ALL and i mean ALL involved are brought to justice, no matter what school! >:(

dips15
07-17-2008, 02:56 PM
Right now, it seems Narvasa is too focused on La Salle, why hasn't he come out and questioned the non-call on Yuri's foot hitting the ball (albeit inadvertently) from Casio's hands that should have given the ball back to La Salle and reset the shot clock?

I can only surmise that before making a major decision as sacking a referee, the authorities have to make sure there is damning, if not a preponderance of evidence to make a conclusion. Three controversial and game-changing calls by a single ref in the last 2 minutes seem to fit that bill.

Also, it's one thing to sack a referee. It's a totally different and more serious matter to have a game replayed (e.g. the Yuri case you pointed out). It remains to be seen whether FEU will use Chito Narvasa's decision in sacking the referee as a basis for protesting the game. But I suppose the time allowed to protest the game has already lapsed.

On the ball hitting yuri's foot. The crew for the Ateneo - La Salle game has already been suspended and it would have been trivial to go into details as to what constituted the suspension. In any case, the commissioner could not have replayed it because it was not a reverseable (non) call. The same way the commish cannot reverse the calls made in the DLSU-FEU game.

On the other hand, on Narvasa favoring Ateneo or being against DLSU, too many people are crying foul on the Tech on the ID issue. It is my belief that the tech on Norman Black to start of the 4th was to make-up for that ID Tech call. These are both phantom calls which we have never seen before. But in the end, it afffected Ateneo more because 1) la salle did not lose ball possession with their tech while ateneo did. 2)The tech on Black obviously shifted the momentum to La Salle and in fact gave them a lead coming from a deficit.

Furthermore, the Ateneo faithful feel that a lot of calls went against Ateneo in the UE game. Yet no report of sanctions have been made against the referees of that game.

The suspension sends a message. Hopefully it will deter some NABRO refs from making the same mistake. However, as other posters have mentioned, it is probable that nothing will come of it since I would think that the amount of money paid by the syndicates should more than compensate them for their loss of income for the whole UAAP season. The best we can hope for is that the mis-calls not be so obvious.

Unfortunately, gamefixing or attempted gamefixing has already been part of the UAAP and it affects all schools in a negative way. Its best for us to realize and hope that our respective schools play in spite of these attempts and hope that gamefixing does not involve any player.

glock23
07-17-2008, 03:14 PM

I can only surmise that before making a major decision as sacking a referee, the authorities have to make sure there is damning, if not a preponderance of evidence to make a conclusion. Three controversial and game-changing calls by a single ref in the last 2 minutes seem to fit that bill.

On the ball hitting yuri's foot. The crew for the Ateneo - La Salle game has already been suspended and it would have been trivial to go into details as to what constituted the suspension. In any case, the commissioner could not have replayed it because it was not a reverseable (non) call. The same way the commish cannot reverse the calls made in the DLSU-FEU game.

On the other hand, on Narvasa favoring Ateneo or being against DLSU, too many people are crying foul on the Tech on the ID issue. It is my belief that the tech on Norman Black to start of the 4th was to make-up for that ID Tech call. These are both phantom calls which we have never seen before. But in the end, it afffected Ateneo more because 1) la salle did not lose ball possession with their tech while ateneo did. 2)The tech on Black obviously shifted the momentum to La Salle and in fact gave them a lead coming from a deficit.

Furthermore, the Ateneo faithful feel that a lot of calls went against Ateneo in the UE game. Yet no report of sanctions have been made against the referees of that game.

The suspension sends a message. Hopefully it will deter some NABRO refs from making the same mistake. However, as other posters have mentioned, it is probable that nothing will come of it since I would think that the amount of money paid by the syndicates should more than compensate them for their loss of income for the whole UAAP season. The best we can hope for is that the mis-calls not be so obvious.

Unfortunately, gamefixing or attempted gamefixing has already been part of the UAAP and it affects all schools in a negative way. Its best for us to realize and hope that our respective schools play in spite of these attempts and hope that gamefixing does not involve any player.

As i write my post, mounting pressure is already hounding the commish and i wont be surprised to see him get sacked or forced to resign. Abangan!

Jeep
07-17-2008, 04:05 PM

And what's your point?

baka barkada niya NABRO?

whatever, i say:* fiat justitia, ruat coelum. this $h!+ has been going around for too long.

Dark Knight
07-17-2008, 04:38 PM
So, if the league found out that there is really game fixing onvolved, itrs only logical to replay the game right? Because it would be unfair to FEU. Not that the unsportsmanlike call on Barocca has any effect on the result. ;D

BigBlue
07-17-2008, 06:49 PM
The suspicions basically go around two possible angles.One is that the results were being altered in terms of winning and losing.The other is that the spread was being met.

Nothing is certain as of now but I think the presscon later is set to describe the courses of action.

ano nangyari sa presscon? natuloy ba?

Legal Eagle
07-17-2008, 07:01 PM

Well let's complete the cast of people involved with NABRO --- there was also talk before that the father of a former player of one of the UAAP schools wearing green uniforms is (or was) part of NABRO that's why the son's team was getting "preferential treatment" during their games. ::)

The choice of NABRO yet again for this season was really a mistake.

Jump_Shooter
07-17-2008, 07:17 PM
I'm inclined to believe that the referee has already spilled the beans. I received an e-mail from a reliable source of mine this morning that said as much. Herc Callanta was also interviewed during halftime of the UP-FEU game earleir, where he said the league will make a formal announcement on the matter very soon. I take this to mean that an investigation is underway. The only question for me is how high up the investigation goes.

We've all been making a fuss about players throwing games that we seem to have forgotten that it's the refs who really have the game in their hands. Whatever happens, I just hope the league bites the bullet and goes the full distance this time.

Howard the Duck
07-17-2008, 07:22 PM
kapag next season may kumuha pa sa NABRO ewan ko na lang

glock23
07-17-2008, 07:53 PM

Well let's complete the cast of people involved with NABRO --- there was also talk before that the father of a former player of one of the UAAP schools wearing green uniforms is (or was) part of NABRO that's why the son's team was getting "preferential treatment" during their games. ::)

The choice of NABRO yet again for this season was really a mistake.

The father was not and will never be a part of NABRO.

The_Big_Cat
07-17-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm inclined to believe that the referee has already spilled the beans. I received an e-mail from a reliable source of mine this morning that said as much. Herc Callanta was also interviewed during halftime of the UP-FEU game earleir, where he said the league will make a formal announcement on the matter very soon. I take this to mean that an investigation is underway. The only question for me is how high up the investigation goes.

We've all been making a fuss about players throwing games that we seem to have forgotten that it's the refs who really have the game in their hands. Whatever happens, I just hope the league bites the bullet and goes the full distance this time.

Prosecute the ref and the people behind him.

nextgen
07-17-2008, 11:07 PM
The father was not and will never be a part of NABRO.

Pls. elaborate.* Are you referring to Rey Tang?

chocoks77
07-17-2008, 11:15 PM
Hardball's topic tonight was about this. They got the views of DLSU coach Pumaren and FEU's Athletic Director Mark Molina. Apparently, Franz still has hard feelings over the technicals he received for not wearing his ID in DLSU's first game. He was still ranting why the commish didn't exercise maximum tolerance on his un-wearing his ID. He did not see anything wrong as the memo(rulebook) says apparently that grabbing jerseys are tantamount to technical fouls. I think what he is trying to point out as jersey grabbing are the taunting acts. Anyway, baka naman sabihin Franz bashing ako. He did not see anything wrong with Tabaniag's acts.

Meanwhile, Molina naman says that they are ok with the outcome of their game. A loss is a loss evfen if they thought that the ref helped DLSU achieve an easier, pressure-zapping--unsportsmanlike foul call on Barroca, then a technical on coach Capacio. They'll still accept the defeat na sana lang hindi na maulit.

I hope they get to the bottom of this. Lutuin si referee Tabaniag sa kawali or lechunin sa kawayan. Again,

NABRO - Naturally Atrocious Brand of Refereeing and Officiating

tigerman
07-17-2008, 11:17 PM
Hey, this reminds me of the suspension of a referee in 2004, because of a controversial call on (?) Don Yabut in the first-round FEU-NU game.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you're referring to the game where FEU's Yabut got the offensive rebound off a missed ft and a Bulldog (I forgot his name) had a slight contact with him. The said ref called a ticky-tacky foul with no time remaining. Yabut's 2 fts won the game for FEU.

One of the dubious calls ever I've seen in basketball.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
07-17-2008, 11:23 PM
So I guess we're going to witness the Pinoy version of Tim Donaghy in the days to come?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

dieselbirdie
07-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Ed Cordero also suspended several referees last year but there wasn't any fanfare. Ed Cordero also challenged Raffy Dayrit to a fist fight aside from banning him in UAAP games. Anyway, last year was really really bad for officiating and looks like its going to be another bad year for the UAAP. Daming kalohohan last year... referees and several players were bought.

With the gambling syndicates in full swing, I am really curious what the board is doing. It doesn't matter which referee association the UAAP hires. What needs to be done is the gambling syndicates have to be jailed or executed.

Raging Blue
07-18-2008, 01:16 AM
ANC Hardball tonight tackled the issue of the suspension of referee Tabanag in its Main Event segment.

In a video interview, Dean Hercules Callanta, as spokesperson for the UAAP, condemns in the strongest possible terms any form of misconduct by anyone players and officials alike as it should. Any allegation of misconduct is a serious matter that should be addressed seriously. He further mentioned that the UAAP also commends the commissioner for acting decisvely and swiftly on the referees questionable performance.

With respect to the rumors of game fixing, Callanta asserted that there was no mention of game-fixing in the program director's and commissioner's report at all. Instead there was mention of inability or failure of the official [referee] to carry out instruction of the commissioner as to how games should be called in the context of fair and square officiating.

The show also featured a phone interview with La Salle head coach Franz Pumaren and FEU athletic director Mark Molina.

In his segment, Franz was asking aloud for the definition of "maximum tolerance". Referring apparently to the last two minutes of the FEU vs. DLSU game, is "maximum tolerance" grabbing the jersey of an opposing player or yelling at the referee as FEU coach Glen Capacio did without the appropriate unsportsmankile foul of toe free throw plus ball possesion . If there is indeed maximum tolerance, it would be opening the door to all coaches to instruct players to grab the jersey of the opposing or to yell at the referee without fear of earning a technical foul. He even referred to the game with Ateneo where he implied maximun tolerance should have been applied instead of being meted out a technical foul for not wearing an ID.

He was also asking that the DLSU team be given credit for forcing a critical turnover by FEU which determined the outcome of that game.

He also denied allegations that referee Brian Tabanag works at DLSU practice games. He alleges it is the commisioner [Narvasa?] who sends referees to the La Salle games and that Tabanag is not among those who officiate during those games.

With respect to what the UAAP should do, Pumaren suggests that the commissioner should review everything including the lapse in the latter's judgment referring to the technical meted him on the no ID issue in the game with Ateneo where the commissioner should have been consistent in uniformly applying the rules to everyone.

Franz further seconded the suggestion by host Boyet Sison that the commissioner sit down with all parties concerned to check on the progress of the current tournament even recommending the inclusion of Sison as one of the deputies of the commissioner.

In his interview, Mark Molina commended Narvasa on his swift decision against the erring referee. He further asserted that based on the video of the game, there was no basis for the referee to call a grabbing of the shirt unsportsmanlike technical foul on Barroca. He asserts here were at least 20 other fouls of a similar nature during the game. He is satisfied with the suspension of the erring referee and that there is no need for a replay of the game even though the referees calls may have changed the outcome of the game as this involves a judgment call. He believes though that an injustice has been done to FEU by the referee. But FEU will abide by the commissioner's decision as they feel it is the right one.

With respect to this harshness of the penalty meted out to referee Tabanag, Molina asserts that it is a question of integrity, i.e., if there was a deliberate motive by the referee to influence the outcome of the game. Through the commissioner's decision, he believes it was clear that officiating had a hand in determining the outcome of the game.

In reply to the question as to whether a government entity be involved to further investigate the case, it should be up to the commissioner to decide. But it was clear that the referee did not follow the directives of the commissioner. Furthermore, the suspension of the referee shows that Narvasa means business in addressing officiating irregularities and indirectly, alleged game-fixing.

danny
07-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Sino ang may b_y_g na lilinis sa sigalot? Sindikato na ang kalaban dito.

batangueño
07-18-2008, 01:46 AM

Si Lipa kaya lang nandyan siya sa inyo ngayon at puro mga kalaban niya ang nakapwesto sa UAAP ngayon. :(

danny
07-18-2008, 01:52 AM

Si Lipa kaya lang nandyan siya sa inyo ngayon at puro mga kalaban niya ang nakapwesto sa UAAP ngayon. :(

Pero malaking kalokohan na ito para sa Collegiate Sports at hindi lang sa UAAP. Wala bang paaralan sa UAAP na kikilos?* Nasaan ang NBI?

batangueño
07-18-2008, 01:55 AM
Pero malaking kalokohan na ito para sa Collegiate Sports at hinid lang sa UAAP. Wala bang paaralan sa UAAP na kikilos?* Nasaan ang NBI?

Hangga't may tao sa bawat liga na nakikinabang sa ginagawa ng mga sindikato na yan, huwag tayong umasa na may gustong kumilos. >:(

I do not know but things really suck in the UAAP nowadays. The commissioner sucks. The NABRO boys, as always, suck. ::)

danny
07-18-2008, 02:29 AM
Ed Cordero also suspended several referees last year but there wasn't any fanfare. Ed Cordero also challenged Raffy Dayrit to a fist fight aside from banning him in UAAP games. Anyway, last year was really really bad for officiating and looks like its going to be another bad year for the UAAP. Daming kalohohan last year... referees and several players were bought.

With the gambling syndicates in full swing, I am really curious what the board is doing. It doesn't matter which referee association the UAAP hires. What needs to be done is the gambling syndicates have to be jailed or executed.

Agree.

If a syndicate is really involved, NABRO is just the symptom of the problem. Find the people with the biggest incentive in fixing the games then you'll find the connection to the syndicate.

Involve the NBI or even hire a private investigator.

jkad
07-18-2008, 04:21 AM
It is my belief that the tech on Norman Black to start of the 4th was to make-up for that ID Tech call. These are both phantom calls which we have never seen before.

I totally agree. If it was silly to call a technical on Pumaren for not wearing ID, it was equally silly for a technical to be called on Norman Black for "excessive gesturing, yelling and showing up the referees" when he was in fact yelling instructions to his players. Definitely a make-up call forced by Narvasa to sort of cancel out the earlier T to Pumaren.

Narvasa shouldn't have been hired as UAAP commissioner. No La Sallian or Atenean should ever be appointed commisioner. It just opens up the league to too many accusations and counter-accusations from both sides.

theunderdog
07-18-2008, 10:15 AM
i think no one who ever graduated from a uaap school should be hired as commish. mas ok kung wala talagang conncections to the uaap at all. di lang* dlsu at admu

tigerman
07-18-2008, 10:23 AM
I read in the bulletin that Narvasa denied the game-fixing angle as the reason for the suspension of the ref.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

A-boy97
07-18-2008, 11:35 AM
As always, pumaren complains to everyone except to the proper authorities. Ang labo kasi lahat na sinabihan niya regarding his technical foul sa id pero wala pang formal complaint sa commish mismo.

Bottomline, pumaren sucks, NABRO sucks!!!

And the familiar tune year in, year out, when UAAP basketball is in full swing, when will the board realize that hiring a managing group may solve this endless problem of officiating, implementation of the rules, and the like? ???

A-boy97
07-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Hangga't may tao sa bawat liga na nakikinabang sa ginagawa ng mga sindikato na yan, huwag tayong umasa na may gustong kumilos. >:(

The simplest solution may be the hardest to do.

Para tumigil yang mga sindikato, WAG NA KAYO PUMUSTA!!!* Tigilan na ang pag-ubos ng pera ng mga magulang niyo, kaya nga kayo pianapaaral sa magandang eskwelahan eh.

Yung pang pusta na pera, ibigay niyo na lang sa simbahan o sa kapos palad, may silbi pa kayong nagawa! ;D

(Kabayang batangueno, sumbat ire sa mga pusta ng pusta, hindi sayo! ;D )

glock23
07-18-2008, 11:59 AM
As always, pumaren complains to everyone except to the proper authorities. Ang labo kasi lahat na sinabihan niya regarding his technical foul sa id pero wala pang formal complaint sa commish mismo.

Bottomline, pumaren sucks, NABRO sucks!!!

And the familiar tune year in, year out, when UAAP basketball is in full swing, when will the board realize that hiring a managing group may solve this endless problem of officiating, implementation of the rules, and the like? ???

pare, alam naman natin that we tried at the start of the game and during half time to talk to the commish about it, and ang nangyari para pang nabastos ang aming board rep na si Bro. Bernie Oca. That treatment by Narvasa led us to go to the press about it, because we wont be treated fairly by a Die Hard atenean and you know it. I agree with the posts of some here saying that the commissioner should be non-partisan and should not belong to any UAAP school para walang gulo. I agree with you....NABRO SUCKS!!!

Dark Knight
07-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Its only fair and logical to replay the game especially if the win is tainted by anolmalies. Even if FEU loses again. Its the moral thing to do. FEU's loss could make the difference come the last slot of the Final 4.

caliente
07-18-2008, 02:44 PM
eh kung irereplay lahat ng may anomalies .... eh di lahat ng laro kailangan i-replay hehehe. hinde pa ba huli para magpalit ng referees? kahit i-maintain na lang yung com ... because im pretty sure hinde mapaalis yang si narvasa. hinde papayayag yun na mapahiya sya.

canmaker
07-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Wow, nagbago ang ihip ng hangin ... Marami nang schools ang asar sa Nabro! What a difference a year makes ...

glock23
07-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Wow, nagbago ang ihip ng hangin ... Marami nang schools ang asar sa Nabro! What a difference a year makes ...

marami na naman dati pa! Ang karamihan lang hindi ginagamit na palusot ang NABRO kapag natatalo kayat' hindi nalalaman ang saloobin. Ika nga they just live with it.

Ranger
07-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Its only fair and logical to replay the game especially if the win is tainted by anolmalies. Even if FEU loses again. Its the moral thing to do. FEU's loss could make the difference come the last slot of the Final 4.

What about the DLSU-ADMU game? The three referees were suspended. Should we also have a repeat of that game?

Howard the Duck
07-18-2008, 11:34 PM
kung bawat game na may angal ay may replay, summer vacation yung replay of the replay of the replay pa rin ang nilalaro natin ::)

canmaker
07-19-2008, 12:31 AM
Ayos, "let's keep it real" !!!

=====

marami na naman dati pa! Ang karamihan lang hindi ginagamit na palusot ang NABRO kapag natatalo kayat' hindi nalalaman ang saloobin. Ika nga they just live with it.

danny
07-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Across the board ang pag-blame sa NABRO di ba? So quits lang lahat.

Ang problema ang sindikato. Hindi ang NABRO. Ginagamit lang ang NABRO at kahit sino pang hahawak niyan. Lahat biktima.

batangueño
07-19-2008, 02:20 AM
Pero Kabayang danny, hindi ko alam kung tama ako pero sa pagpapalakad ngayon ni Coach Joe Lipa at ng mga PBL referees sa NCAA, kitang kita ang malaking kaibahan sa nangyayari ngayon sa UAAP. Kung may sindikato nga talaga, bakit tila hindi nila "ginugulo" ang NCAA? Dahil ba takot sila kay Lipa? ???

Mukhang nagbago na ng approach ang sindikato ngayon. Kung dati ay yung players ang "binibili" nila, ngayon ay mga referees at UAAP board members na. :o

Ewan ko lang kung mangyayari ang lahat ng kaguluhan ngayon sa UAAP if Coach Joe Lipa is the commissioner and the PBL referees are the ones doing the officiating. ???

danny
07-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Hindi ko lang alam , pre. May problema kasi kami ngayon sa LOGO. ;D

nextgen
07-19-2008, 08:54 AM
I read in another site that DLSU brought in NABRO to the UAAP when it hosted season 67 back in 2004. Does anybody here know the history of NABRO before 04? Who organized it, who's funding it, who are its officers? And most importantly, why have they been retained in the succeeding seasons in spite of their alleged connections to gambling syndicates??????

The_Big_Cat
07-19-2008, 09:58 AM
On the technical foul called on Barroca:

As shown numerous times on TV the other day, he inadvertently grabbed the jersey of the DLSU player while he was back-peddling on defense. It happened in midcourt. Ang tao niya talaga ay si Atkins, who was still in the backcourt dribbling into the frontcourt. Nagkabuhol sila ng DLSU player as he was going to Atkins. Automatic technical if you grabbed the opponent's jersey. But in this case, hindi sinasadya kasi nagkabuhol lang talaga sila.

Kung sa Pros, they have two degrees of flagrant foul (penalty number 1 and penalty number 2), I think they should create the same way para sa grabbing of jerseys. In my opinion, dapat let go na yun.

As for the three-point attempt ni Benedict Fernandez, as also shown numerous times in the news, there was really a foul that wasn't called.

For La Salle naman, sa tingin ko panalo pa rin sila kahit tinawag yung dalawang calls na yun.

For FEU, sayang yung game. Sila ang natamaan ng masamang tawag ng referee.
Sabi nga ni Montinola: "NIYARI KAMI!!"
Sayang yung game na yan and that could haunt them at the end of eliminations para sa positioning in the final four.

easter
07-19-2008, 10:22 AM
ano po ba ang rule ng FIBA sa grabbing of shirt?

glock23
07-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Ayos, "let's keep it real" !!!

=====

Yep, just keepin' it real man!

A-boy97
07-19-2008, 12:31 PM
Kahit sinong commish pa yan, basta NABRO ang mga referee, wala ring silbi! >:(

baka mangyari pa, di matuloy games kasi halos lahat ng ref, suspended!! ;D

Sana naman po makinig at gumawa ng aksyon ang UAAP board sa mga hinaing ng mga tao!!

Ang nakakainis sa problemang ito, parang kulangot na kahit anong sundot gawin mo para matanggal, laging meron pa rin!

Suspending referees, in my opinion, especially pertaining to NABRO refs, are quick fix solutions. CUT THE ROOT! EXPEL NABRO NOW!!!

canmaker
07-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Sabi ng isang dating asst commisioner ng uaap, tatlong taon na raw di nagre-ref si Tabaniag ng uaap game.* Nabigla daw siya at biglang nag-ref nung game ng feu-dlsu ... Hmmm ...

#2 na itong si Tabaniag sa hierarchy ng NABRO after the Head, Rolly Omampo.

Kung baga management na siya ...

Howard the Duck
07-19-2008, 03:00 PM
di ba kung na-grab ang jersey foul na?

pero di naman flagrant/unsportsmanlike. unless sinira na nya ang buong uniform ;D

The_Big_Cat
07-19-2008, 03:28 PM

pero di naman flagrant/unsportsmanlike. unless sinira na nya ang buong uniform ;D

Grabbing of jerseys in the UAAP is an automatic technical foul plus ball possession.

Howard the Duck
07-19-2008, 04:03 PM

Grabbing of jerseys in the UAAP is an automatic technical foul plus ball possession.

so it turns out it was the right call?

The_Big_Cat
07-19-2008, 04:57 PM

Technically, yes.

From the replays in the news the other day, it happened at midcourt & there was no scoring opportunity
That is why the commish thought that it should have been a "no call".

glock23
07-19-2008, 06:28 PM

Absolutely!!! The strange thing is that im sure narvasa knows it thats why he let NABRO suspend their own instead of him. Ika nga "hugas kamay" parang si ponsyo pilato.

atenean_blooded
07-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Looks like more referees should be suspended given how terrible the officiating in today's Ateneo-UP game was.

nextgen
07-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Sabi ng isang dating asst commisioner ng uaap, tatlong taon na raw di nagre-ref si Tabaniag ng uaap game.* Nabigla daw siya at biglang nag-ref nung game ng feu-dlsu ... Hmmm ...

#2 na itong si Tabaniag sa hierarchy ng NABRO after the Head, Rolly Omampo.

Kung baga management na siya ...

Can you ask the former asst commish to provide other details on the NABRO hierarchy?

THE ONLOOKER
07-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Looks like more referees should be suspended given how terrible the officiating in today's Ateneo-UP game was.

I was happy to witness for the first time in my life, a player was given a "warning" for "second motion". ;D

batangueño
07-20-2008, 02:16 AM
The officiating during the UP-Ateneo and La Salle-NU games sucked big time. The NABRO boys and the Konsumisyoner Narvasa are really make a joke out of the UAAP. ::)

By the way, ewan ko lang kung tama ako. Nanood ba ng mga laro kahapon si Nic Jorge, ang "big boss" ng NABRO? Kung siya nga yun, baka minomonitor niya ang kanyang mga bata. :o ;D

stonecold316
07-20-2008, 02:57 AM
Ngayon pa lang ipunin lahat ng Nabro refs at isa-isahin interrogate kung ano man nalalaman nilang dayaan nangyayari. Isa pa dapat this early, sibakin na ang NABRO kasi kung hindi I'm sure lalo pang gugulo ang sitwasyon. Huwag na natin hintayin pa na masira ang buong UAAP!

shyboy
07-20-2008, 07:34 AM
UP has already issued a statement that the suspensions were not due to allegations of game-fixing. Kung meron man, dapat sana tumitino na ang mga tawag ng mga ref sa mga laro kasi mainit na ang mga mata sa kanila. Kaso hindi eh. Mukhang INCOMPETENCE na ang problema.

THE ONLOOKER
07-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Can someone tell me why does the refs meet up with the commissioner every dead ball after a crucial call made?

Wala na ba silang confidence sa sarili nila at kailangan pa nila i-confer?

I already know whose officials are doing magic in the games. I just don't know the faggots' names.

stonecold316
07-21-2008, 01:42 AM
sa UST vs FEU game, sobrang dami ng fouls na tinawag. On UST's part, three of its top players fouled out namely Khasim Mirza, Dylan Ababou and Jervy Cruz. Sa tatlo pa lang na players, 15 fouls na kagad ang tinawag. If you add the other players na natawagan ng fouls, more than 30 fouls ang naitawag against UST. Not to take away FEU's victory, but the refs clearly killed UST in the ball game because of the fouls called.

Sana naman next time tumino naman ang tawagan. PLEASE lang!

JONAS HAO
07-21-2008, 05:42 AM
Anton Montinola was smiling ear to ear even before the game started.

Joescoundrel
07-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Some one should conduct a study to determine how - if at all - referees affect the outcomes of games. I do not know exactly what the methodology would be, but certainly some mathematical modeling could be used. THAT should determine once and for all and in very objective terms how the referees perform, good or bad.

BigBlue
07-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Some one should conduct a study to determine how - if at all - referees affect the outcomes of games. I do not know exactly what the methodology would be, but certainly some mathematical modeling could be used. THAT should determine once and for all and in very objective terms how the referees perform, good or bad.

shouldnt that be the job of the commish?

Howard the Duck
07-21-2008, 02:02 PM
what school/team is favored by NABRO anyway? ;D

batangueño
07-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I just wondering. Where did NarvaSUCKS get all his acting skills? He can win an Academy Award for his brilliance. ;)

stonecold316
07-21-2008, 07:36 PM

Pabor ako dito sir.

BigBlue
07-21-2008, 09:43 PM
^^ medyo PEX-like na ang hirit ng mga iba dito ah...* ::)

and no, stonecold, im not referring to you ;)

atenean_blooded
07-22-2008, 10:44 AM
^^ medyo PEX-like na ang hirit ng mga iba dito ah...* ::)

and no, stonecold, im not referring to you ;)

Baka kasi pati sa PEX, sandamukal ang alternick ng iba dyan. ;D

Joe, I think the way the call spreads is probably similar to how it's done when bookies/syndicates call odds and spreads on NBA games. The key difference is, of course, that bookies/syndicates here CAN have access to our referees.

A-boy97
07-22-2008, 11:16 AM
what school/team is favored by NABRO anyway?* ;D

la salle. rumoured part owner tatay ni ex la salle player ty tang and sila naman nagpasok ng NABRO when they hosted way back in 2004.

glock23
07-22-2008, 11:55 AM
what school/team is favored by NABRO anyway? ;D

la salle. rumoured part owner tatay ni ex la salle player ty t@ng and sila naman nagpasok ng NABRO when they hosted way back in 2004.

facts only pls! The father of TY is not a part owner of NABRO. While yes it's true that we got them to officiate when we hosted, wala kaming alam sa pagkuha sa kanila in succeeding seasons. You also say that lasalle is the team favored by NABRO? kayo lang ang nagiisip non! The teams they are favoring are the ones the syndicates are telling them to favor, thats the sad part! just keepin' it real.

jkad
07-22-2008, 12:51 PM
I just wondering. Where did NarvaSUCKS get all his acting skills? He can win an Academy Award for his brilliance. ;)

Pare, call him that to his face, I'm pretty sure he won't back down from you. Don't hide behind your alternicks.

nextgen
07-22-2008, 12:55 PM
what school/team is favored by NABRO anyway?* ;D

la salle. rumoured part owner tatay ni ex la salle player ty t@ng and sila naman nagpasok ng NABRO when they hosted way back in 2004.

facts only pls! The father of TY is not a part owner of NABRO. While yes it's true that we got them to officiate when we hosted, wala kaming alam sa pagkuha sa kanila in succeeding seasons. You also say that lasalle is the team favored by NABRO? kayo lang ang nagiisip non! The teams they are favoring are the ones the syndicates are telling them to favor, thats the sad part! just keepin' it real.

Thanks for finally confirming that you were referring to Rey Tang in an earlier post.

atenista_comm
07-22-2008, 03:26 PM

Why are you like that? Are you drugs?

kerouac82
07-22-2008, 03:29 PM

Why are you like that?* Are you drugs?

Unti-unting nag-iimplode...

Raging Blue
07-22-2008, 09:53 PM

Why are you like that? Are you drugs?

Unti-unting nag-iimplode...

And too much kape barako I guess. Ala'eh!

danny
07-24-2008, 03:35 AM

I'm trying to figure out an algorithm that can be used for this one to no avail.* The econometric modelling I'm used to is not that applicable in this particular data set.

A mathematician is needed.

jkad
07-24-2008, 08:08 AM

I'm trying to figure out an algorithm that can be used for this one to no avail. The econometric modelling I'm used to is not that applicable in this particular data set.

A mathematician is needed.

Kunin natin yung tao din sa TV Show Numbers ;D

Kid Cubao
07-24-2008, 08:35 AM
a simple algorithm may go something like this: (sayang walang greek symbols sa keyboard ko)

referee performance = [years of refereeing experience + years of in-service training] - [degree of closeness with alleged shadowy characters, with, say, zero representing no association whatsoever, and 50 representing being an active shadowy character himself]

hekplaneysyon--ang sinasabi lang po nito is that the natural logarithm of any referee's performance is a linear function of the combined years of his refereeing experience and in-service training MINUS the*quantitative representation of his corruptibility. thus it follows the best refs have the highest RP ratings, while those that have low RP ratings are of the following kinds:

1. inexperienced refs that fortunately have yet to be corrupted
2. experienced refs that unfortunately have gone sour
3. inexperienced refs that were rotten right at the onset

john_paul_manahan
07-24-2008, 10:22 AM
a simple algorithm may go something like this: (sayang walang greek symbols sa keyboard ko)

referee performance = [years of refereeing experience + years of in-service training] - [degree of closeness with alleged shadowy characters, with, say, zero representing no association whatsoever, and 50 representing being an active shadowy character himself]

hekplaneysyon--ang sinasabi lang po nito is that the natural logarithm of any referee's performance is a linear function of the combined years of his refereeing experience and in-service training MINUS the*quantitative representation of his corruptibility. thus it follows the best refs have the highest RP ratings, while those that have low RP ratings are of the following kinds:

professor charlie epps will be proud of you. pwede sa cal sci. ;D now, if we have someone like don epps to knock some sense into people.

batangueño
07-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Officials at today's games:

DLSU vs ADU: Rico Tan, Hector Villanueva, John Estrada
UP vs UE: Zaldy Sagum, Ric Santos, Nestor Magpantay

danny
07-25-2008, 01:16 AM

Ang lupet! Epps will be proud indeed. ;)

THE ONLOOKER
07-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Officials at today's games:

DLSU vs ADU: Rico Tan, Hector Villanueva, John Estrada
UP vs UE: Zaldy Sagum, Ric Santos, Nestor Magpantay

My assessment: Hector Villanueva and John Estrada were fair, two thumbs up for this guys. Rico Tan calls too early or too late, and is very inconsistent.

nextgen
07-26-2008, 11:51 PM
"2 sentenced to prison in NBA betting scandal"

Can this serve as a precedent in Philippine legal jurisprudence?

bchoter
07-27-2008, 11:42 PM
^ You've posted the same messages in 2 threads in the same forum

atenean_blooded
07-28-2008, 12:17 AM
"2 sentenced to prison in NBA betting scandal"

Can this serve as a precedent in Philippine legal jurisprudence?*

No.

Jump_Shooter
07-30-2008, 10:05 AM
nextgen, I have deleted your post containing a news item on NBA referee Tim Donaghy's conviction. Kindly repost it in the proper forum. Your question on whether it can serve as a precedent in Philippine legal jurisprudence has already been answered, so it now bears no connection to Bryan Tabanag's suspension, and thus no connection to the UAAP.

A-boy97
08-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Now that the police are looking to question that suspended referee as regards to game fixing and relation to Mac Baracael shooting, I'm hoping we see tremendous improvement in officiating albeit NABRO. I think it is a good move that the police suggested lifestyle checks on referees and players.

At least may progress and nakikinig ang kapulisan sa daing ng impaktong tawagan. Sana pati board, ma-realize na bulok ang NABRO. At kung bulok pa rin ang tawagan, i-suspinde kahit lahat sila para makita ang sinseridad ng liga sa isang malinis at patas na tawagan!

glock23
08-02-2008, 11:10 AM
Now that the police are looking to question that suspended referee as regards to game fixing and relation to Mac Baracael shooting, I'm hoping we see tremendous improvement in officiating albeit NABRO. I think it is a good move that the police suggested lifestyle checks on referees and players.

At least may progress and nakikinig ang kapulisan sa daing ng impaktong tawagan. Sana pati board, ma-realize na bulok ang NABRO. At kung bulok pa rin ang tawagan, i-suspinde kahit lahat sila para makita ang sinseridad ng liga sa isang malinis at patas na tawagan!

Kahit sino pa ang ilagay mo para mag officiate ng laro kapag nahawakan ng sindikato, balik ang problema. The problem my friend is deeply ingrained in our psyche. Politcal will lang ang solusyon sa lahat ng ating problema at alam natin yon. yet no one does it. Kanya kanya kasing agenda ang inuuna!

Joescoundrel
08-02-2008, 11:48 AM
^ I agree with Glock. What would it be like if truly wealthy and powerful alumni were to put a contract put on erring / corrupt referees? The body count would probably be a sight to behold.

glock23
08-02-2008, 01:03 PM
^ I agree with Glock. What would it be like if truly wealthy and powerful alumni were to put a contract put on erring / corrupt referees? The body count would probably be a sight to behold.

Not just erring and corrupt referees but all criminal elements including the ones in Government....Now that's going to be a sight to behold!

Liliit pa ang population ng pilipinas! ;D

oca
08-02-2008, 03:51 PM

Not just erring and corrupt referees but all criminal elements including the ones in Government....Now that's going to be a sight to behold!

Liliit pa ang population ng pilipinas!* ;D

Be careful of what you wish...

Noble intent has been used as means to victimize innocent people.

glock23
08-02-2008, 11:22 PM

Liliit pa ang population ng pilipinas! ;D

Be careful of what you wish...

Noble intent has been used as means to victimize innocent people.

we're talking about it in an idealistic sense boss oca. But really it boils down to political will and when that happens there will be people involved who shall be "casualties of war" but it will be for the greater good of the majority. Wala, moro moro nalang ang nangyayari taon taon. Sickening!

A-boy97
08-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Now that the police are looking to question that suspended referee as regards to game fixing and relation to Mac Baracael shooting, I'm hoping we see tremendous improvement in officiating albeit NABRO.* I think it is a good move that the police suggested lifestyle checks on referees and players.

At least may progress and nakikinig ang kapulisan sa daing ng impaktong tawagan.* Sana pati board, ma-realize na bulok ang NABRO.* At kung bulok pa rin ang tawagan, i-suspinde kahit lahat sila para makita ang sinseridad ng liga sa isang malinis at patas na tawagan!

Kahit sino pa ang ilagay mo para mag officiate ng laro kapag nahawakan ng sindikato, balik ang problema. The problem my friend is deeply ingrained in our psyche. Politcal will lang ang solusyon sa lahat ng ating problema at alam natin yon. yet no one does it. Kanya kanya kasing agenda ang inuuna!

Kaya nga sinabi ko kaibigan na may pag-usad sa tamang daan ang balak gawin ng kapulisan kasi sa UAAP board, parang walang pag-usad na namamalayan. The fight against gambling syndicates influencing referees and players will take more than just political will cause it is a deeply rooted problem. Taking out NABRO though is definitely a step forward. ;)

bluewing
08-03-2008, 10:45 PM
gaano bang kamura ang arkila sa NABRO na yan at tila hindi maka-hindi ang bawa't nagho-host?

A-boy97
08-03-2008, 10:52 PM
gaano bang kamura ang arkila sa NABRO na yan at tila hindi maka-hindi ang bawa't nagho-host?

Pang yosi at softdrinks lang ata bro ang arkila diyan! ;D Yung pangbahay at pangkotse, sa Hongkong daw binibigay ni..... ???