PDA

View Full Version : UST vs DLSU Rd 1

eightyfiver
07-16-2008, 08:42 AM
The animosity between UST and DLSU has gone down several notches since their storied rivalry in the 90s. One proof of this is having an alumnus of DLS-Z playing for UST. This is hardly imaginable then. But this two teams have split the title between them the last couple of years. Could this signal a revival of some sorts?

Let me know your thoughts on this game.

The Tale of the Tape(Ave./Game)

----------- UST - DLSU
Offense : 83.5 - 73
Defense : 75.5 - 70.5
FG % : --- 49% - 40%
3pt : ---- 22% - 40%
FT% : ---- 65% - 55%
Rebounds : 46.5 - 39
Assist : -- 12.5 - 11
Errors :-- 18 - 12 .5

zuuuper
07-16-2008, 10:09 AM
I pick UST for this game, they have a slight advantage over DLSU. UST by 5 points. ;D

Howard the Duck
07-16-2008, 10:17 AM
if LS loses due to a stupidity of a referee, i expect a protest and statements of "us against the world" type ;D

JONAS HAO
07-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Although I am from DLSU, I would pick UST to win 5-8pts.

Why? Two words -----> Jervy Cruz.
I highly doubt any archers can stop the MVP.

Ditto with UST's backcourt. Japs Cuan is the best point guard in the UAAP this season.
With all due respects to Jai, Simon, Baroca, Yuri, Jahnke, and James M. ;D

shyboy
07-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Ang wish ko lang, hindi na maulit last year's DLSU-UST 1st round game where La Salle lost even with a 10 point lead in the last 2-3 minutes of the game.

theunderdog
07-16-2008, 02:55 PM
dlsu will take this one. close game but experience will win it in the end.

zuuuper
07-16-2008, 06:13 PM
^correction po, DLSU lost to UST in the 2nd round of Season 70, trailing 12 pts i think at 1:53 time remaining ;D

Tigercub
07-16-2008, 08:10 PM
yes, that was in the 2nd round...
yun 1st round game, which DLSU won, was a come from behind win by the Archers

interestingly, both games last year went into overtime!

tigerman
07-16-2008, 08:22 PM

You mean to say that DLSU is more experienced than UST?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Howard the Duck
07-16-2008, 08:26 PM

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

is cholo still playing? he has the most experience in the history of the UAAP :D

yellow_we
07-16-2008, 09:22 PM

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

is cholo still playing? he has the most experience in the history of the UAAP* :D

cholo villanueva? nah-ah. not anymore.

I would go for UST since I'm a tomasian. Bias amp! hehe. But seriously, if Tigers will not commit so much turnovers and useless fouls, plus another MVP performance of Jervy and excellent support from the bench, UST will take win #2.

Bring back the mid 90's rivalry!!!* ;D

Howard the Duck
07-16-2008, 09:39 PM

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

is cholo still playing? he has the most experience in the history of the UAAP :D

cholo villanueva? nah-ah. not anymore.

I would go for UST since I'm a tomasian. Bias amp! hehe. But seriously, if Tigers will not commit so much turnovers and useless fouls, plus another MVP performance of Jervy and excellent support from the bench, UST will take win #2.

Bring back the mid 90's rivalry!!! ;D

i'm expecting a lasallian retort that there never really was a rivalry :o

joelex
07-16-2008, 11:01 PM
there was really no rivalry cause dlsu never threathened the throne of UST back then.

yellow_we
07-17-2008, 01:59 AM
oooh... so the 1994-96 UST vs. DLSU Finals encounter can't be considered as a "rivalry"? :o O-K! ;)

flsfnoeraekadad
07-17-2008, 02:26 AM
Freethrows? OUCH.

joelex
07-17-2008, 02:50 AM
oooh... so the 1994-96 UST vs. DLSU Finals encounter can't be considered as a "rivalry"?* :o O-K!* ;)

a rivalry only happens when both characters have experienced both victory and defeat. In their case it was more like a dominance on UST's part. Back to back to back...

yellow_we
07-17-2008, 03:04 AM
oooh... so the 1994-96 UST vs. DLSU Finals encounter can't be considered as a "rivalry"?* :o O-K!* ;)

a rivalry only happens when both characters have experienced both victory and defeat. In their case it was more like a dominance on UST's part.* Back to back to back...

Well how about La Salle stole one from us finally in 1999? So that doesn't even count too? :o

dips15
07-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Bad decision making in the end game cost UST the game.

Howard the Duck
07-17-2008, 07:23 PM
see told ya. walang rivalry. period.

parang LC-SBC nowadays. deny to death. period. ;D

lekiboy
07-17-2008, 07:36 PM

parang LC-SBC nowadays. deny to death. period.* ;D

sabi nga ni joelex dapat both victory and defeat and it must be for several times... in the case of SBC and LC, 1950s pa yung last finals before last season... further, if you are going to base on joelex's input- the more appropriate rivals would be SSCR and LC in the 80s and 90s... halos wala sa picture ang SBC sa rivalries for almost 30 yeras now dahil halos di pumasok sa final 4 except for 1991 and 1997 where we faced MIT and SSCR respectively...

well, who knows, we might face LC again in the finals...

so how would you define a rivalry, howard?

yellow_we
07-17-2008, 07:51 PM
a fresh 24 sec. shot clock and coming from a time-out just resulted with a rushed 3 point shot? I'm not sure if that's the plan. Who knows! But then I think, it's a bad decision! We had the time to organize a good play to have a chance of taking the lead. We could have got a better shot inside the paint and possibly get a foul since dlsu was in the penalty. That's the disappointing part there. :-[ >:( But then again, as expected, it was a nice game. Kudos to both teams! Bawi nalang next time USTe! ;)

shyboy
07-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Pido Jarencio's flair for the dramatics was evident in this game. He wanted ex-Junior Archer Fortuna to win it for UST. What a statement it could have been had Fortuna made those potential game winners against La Salle.

Coolmanny
07-17-2008, 09:24 PM
i watched the game live and i will not comment anymore on the Fortuna 3 point shot, laman na yan nang lahat nang forums at dyaryo bukas, sama mo na sports website

I guess the only thing that made me feel better during the game was when both the YJs and DLSU pep exchanged cheers after the game

those are the things you don't get to see on tv, sometimes even in a live game (kapag umuwi ka kaagad), breathe of fresh air

anyway, congratulations to the archers, great game, see you next round

tigerman
07-17-2008, 10:19 PM
Sir Manny, sinong nauna pumalo? DLSU Pep o YJ?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

flsfnoeraekadad
07-17-2008, 10:22 PM
Easily the best game of the season so far.

tigerman
07-17-2008, 10:31 PM
We got a dose of our own medicine. A tall, lean and athletic wingman named James Mangahas killed us.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Coolmanny
07-17-2008, 10:34 PM

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

YJ (yata), acknowledge naman kaagad nang DLSU pep and gang green, tig 2 cheer sila

yellow_we
07-17-2008, 10:40 PM

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Before I totally left, I heard DLSU pep played the "Go USTE" beat then saw both pepsquads preparing to leave after that so I guess YJ did a La Salle drumbeat first then DLSU pep responded. Nothing's new. They have been friends for what I know and so as UST- BBB kaya minsan daw balimbing YJs na e kapag ADMU and DLSU na laban di na lam kung kanino kakampi. hehe.. *;D

tigerman
07-17-2008, 10:42 PM
^ But in my years as a YJ, we never had the chance to jam with DLSU pep after a game. We've done it numerous times with BBB but not with DLSU pep alone.

The closest thing we had with DLSU pep was during the cheering competition in 2005 where they together with the YJ, BBB had this jamming after the event.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Howard the Duck
07-17-2008, 10:54 PM

parang LC-SBC nowadays. deny to death. period. ;D

sabi nga ni joelex dapat both victory and defeat and it must be for several times... in the case of SBC and LC, 1950s pa yung last finals before last season... further, if you are going to base on joelex's input- the more appropriate rivals would be SSCR and LC in the 80s and 90s... halos wala sa picture ang SBC sa rivalries for almost 30 yeras now dahil halos di pumasok sa final 4 except for 1991 and 1997 where we faced MIT and SSCR respectively...

well, who knows, we might face LC again in the finals...

so how would you define a rivalry, howard?

parang yankees-red sox lang yan. the yankees have been kicking the asses of the red sox for 3/4 of a century pero may rivalry. ;D

danny
07-18-2008, 01:30 AM

parang LC-SBC nowadays. deny to death. period.* ;D

Etong si Duck , madalas isama* ang NCAA at San Beda sa mga hinagpis ng buhay. Hoy, walang Letranistang nagpipilit na archrival namin sila. We are not worthy.* And we Bedans know that.* Ang mabuti pa, huwag na lang sumama ang loob mo kung ayaw nila.* ;D

eightyfiver
07-18-2008, 08:52 AM
It was a good game as expected. It was a game decided by end-game composure and the balance tilted in favor of DLSU. Congrats DLSU!

GAME SUMMARY
--------------------DLSU-----UST
Points------------85--------84
FG%-------------46.97----44.16
3pt%------------35.29----28.57
FT%--------------73.9-----66.67
Rebs--------------32-------44
Assists-----------12--------17
Steals------------6----------0
Turnovers------13--------15
Fouls-------------23--------20