PDA

View Full Version : Filipino-American cager 6'11" Gregory Fuentes-Slaughter wreaking havoc

pachador
06-06-2007, 05:05 AM
June 06, 2007

University of Visayas ‘steals’ Fil-Am giant

By Marian C. Baring
Sun.Star Staff Reporter

EVEN before the season starts, Filipino-American cager 6'11" Gregory Fuentes-Slaughter is already wreaking havoc after the University of Cebu (UC) and University of the Visayas (UV) got locked in a tug-of-war in an attempt to tap his services for their respective varsities.

UC, which was the first to discover the 6-foot-11 talent from Virginia, USA, has already paraded Slaughter around their school.

They also let him practice with the UC Webmasters and introduced him to the university’s owner, Augusto Go.

UC’s mind was made up, Slaughter’s was not.

Apparently, at the same time, UV was also pursuing Slaughter.

After all the troubles they went to, UC has conceded, as it could not match the offer presented by UV to Slaughter.

“It is very upsetting because we thought that he will play with us. But UC never prevents its players from seeking greener pastures. UV made a monetary offer which UC could not counter. We could give him a good education, an ample practice allowance, but that’s about it,” said UC head coach Rhoel Gomez.

In principle, Slaughter has not yet enrolled in any school and is still weighing his options before making a decision.

According to Gomez, however, UV has won this round.

“I have spoken with Slaughter’s uncle and he told me that they will no longer look for other schools, including those in Manila, because they are satisfied with UV’s offer,” Gomez said.

UV head coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug admitted to have already recruited Slaughter, and said they made him an offer he could not refuse.

“We (Cabahug, Didi and Eddie Gullas) assured him that we will take care of him after his playing years are over. If he wants to pursue his ambition to go professional, we will help him achieve that,” Cabahug said.

Cabahug was mum about the monetary side of the offer and did not confirm nor deny rumors that Slaughter was offered a P25,000 monthly allowance.

“It is not about the money. It is more on the privileges that even their relatives could enjoy. You see, Sir Eddie wants the players to be able to help their families while playing,” said Cabahug.

Cabahug said that not only do their players get to study at the university for free, but the players’ relatives could also go to school for free as well.

Cabahug said that it has been UV’s attractive compensation that draws the players to them.

“History tells you that it is the players who come to us. That is why we have a huge pool of good players,” said Cabahug, who steered UV to six straight championships.

Cabahug said while he is confident that they will still dominate this year’s Cesafi, his recruitment of Slaughter is to boost the team’s chances for the National Inter-Collegiate league, which UV has still not won.

Cabahug also added if Slaughter decides to play for UV, then it will be the first time that a Filipino-American plays for them.

oca
06-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Mahirap tapatan ang UV sa ano mang negotiations in recruiting players. Totoo yung sinabi sa article na not only is the player who will benefit but even the relatives too.

Alam niyo ba na na kahit wala kang ano mang scholarship pwede ka mag-enroll sa UV na walang pera?

It is common practice there to accept promissory notes from regular students. Pagdating ng pre-lims/ mid-terms/ finals, kahit hindi up-to-date and account mo, you can still take the exams. Ang dapat lang siguraduhin ng estudyante bago magsimula ang next semester ay malinis na ang bayarin sa nagdaang semester. Ganyan kabait ang UV sa mga estudyante. Ganyan ang palakad ng pamilya Gullas.

Yan na rin siguro ang dahilan kung bakit madali sila makaakit ng players na magaling, w/c has made them perennial champions in their league.

If you were being recruited and offered a full scholarship and 2 or 3 of your siblings or cousins will be allowed to enroll for free... Tatanggihan mo ba?

LION
06-06-2007, 09:10 AM
Hindi pa naman pala nakapag decide si Slaughter. Pwede pang kausapin ng San Beda. Jude, kunin mo na sa amin yung plane ticket mo. ;D

AnthonyServinio
06-06-2007, 01:45 PM
* * *Ganito nalang para walang gulo -- let the kid enroll at the Cebu Institute of Technology where his relatives, Fernando Fuentes is one of the coaches.** Blood is thicker than water.* ;)

Bottomline is the kid is staying in a Cebu school!

pachador
06-06-2007, 02:04 PM
anthony,

so whats the latest on his height? is it 6'10" or 6'11" ?

salsa caballero
06-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Is this guy related by any chance to the former PBA import, Jose Slaughter?

MonL
06-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Is this guy related by any chance to the former PBA import, Jose Slaughter?

OT: Naalala ko lang ay si Andy Jao at ang pronunciation niya na "Slaff-ter".... Nabanggit kasi si Jose', eh... :D

salsa caballero
06-06-2007, 05:59 PM
^ *Oh...I hear SL-AFFTER in the rain, walking hand-in-hand with the one I love...*

Sana naman, magaling ito at nang 'di pagtawanan ng mga mirong nakadungaw. Mantaking gawing object of tug-of-war eh, mukhang 'ala namang evident hoops background???

My take-

Best case scenario: James Walkvist
Worst case scenario: Vince San Diego

My wish-

Mali ako at nang magka-sentro tayo to play alongside Sam Eman and Japhet Aguilar in the future...

AnthonyServinio
06-07-2007, 01:39 AM
anthony,

* * *Putting it conservatively, at least 6'10".* Check this out >>> http://www.friendster.com/greg0ri0 (http://www.friendster.com/greg0ri0)

go_flames_go
06-07-2007, 03:04 AM
* * *Ganito nalang para walang gulo -- let the kid enroll at the Cebu Institute of Technology where his relatives, Fernando Fuentes is one of the coaches.** Blood is thicker than water.* ;)

* * *Bottomline is the kid is staying in a Cebu school!

Mas kailangan nga ata ng CIT itong batang to. The Wildcats haven't been that competitive of late (even while I was still based in Cebu a few years back). Yun nga lang, I don't think CIT (or any Cebu school for that matter) can match the support given by UV to their players.

pachador
06-07-2007, 08:39 AM
anthony,

may goodness, yung batang ito pinagkakaguluhan sa lahat ng basketbol forums ---doon sa pacman, pinoyexchange, interbasket, pba.ph, grabe !! I have been trying to calm them down* ;D look what you have done with your giant news. its been an earthshaking event* :o

pachador
06-07-2007, 08:57 AM
anthony,

I clicked on gregorios freindster link you gave pero walang lumabas e. exacto ba ang url?
salamat

* * *Putting it conservatively, at least 6'10".* Check this out >>> http://www.friendster.com/greg0ri0 (http://www.friendster.com/greg0ri0)

Joescoundrel
06-07-2007, 10:27 AM
I also hope Salsa is wrong about this kid and he turns out much better than James Walkvist.

Now to once again make like the "Imperial Manila" guy: If this kid really wants to grow, improve and develop as a baller then he should try to find his way to Manila. I think no one would dispute that the best coaches, facilities and opportunities for overall and total basketball development are all in the Metro.

I get to speak to guys like Roger Yap, Dondon Hontiveros and even Neil Raneses from time to time and they all agree that they developed their overall games here in Manila under the Manila-based teams and coaches. That's quite a mouthful considering the calibre of those players.

Greg Slaughter should seriously consider coming to the Metro, maybe even skipping college ball altogether and going straight to the PBL, like say with Harbour Centre or Cebuana Lhuillier.

pachador
06-07-2007, 12:08 PM
‘UV is my choice’ Fil-Am giant Gregory Slaughter really wants to be a Green Lancer

By Emmanuel B. Villaruel

Thursday, June 7, 2007 Freeman newspaper from Ponso @ pex

Fil-Am goliath Gregory Fuentes-Slaughter said it is really his desire to play for the multi-titled University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers and not for any other school here or in Manila.

This is Slaughter’s response to a report by another local daily insinuating that the 6-foot-11, 250-plus pound giant was ‘stolen’ by UV from the University of Cebu (UC).

Slaughter, whose mother Emma Fuentes is from Brgy. Basak, Cebu City, admitted having joined the practice of the UC Webmasters and even posed for photograph with UC owner Atty. Augusto W. Go, but clarified that he made no commitment with UC at that time.

“I haven’t made a decision nor made any commitment (with UC) at that time,” said Slaughter in an interview with The Freeman yesterday during only his second practice session with the Green Lancers at the UV Gym.

“I really want to play for UV because they’re the strongest team in Cebu. They won six straight championships in the local league (CESAFI) and that’s an amazing feat. Hopefully it will continue when I join the team,” added the 19-year-old skyscraper from Virginia, USA.

As of yesterday, Gregory has not yet struck a formal deal with UV, but said it’s a hundred percent sure he’s joining the Green Lancers’ fold.

“There are still a few things that need to be worked out, but it’s safe to say now that I’m going to play for UV,” confirmed Slaughter, whose bunch of NBA idols include Yao Ming, Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett.

Slaughter said he still has a lot to improve on his skills, but he will try his best to be a worthy addition to the UV team.

“I still have to work things out, but one thing I can described of myself as a player is that I can play team game,” said Slaughter.

As if an ominous warning to UV’s CESAFI rivals, Slaughter dazzled a small throng of spectators who watched the UV practice with a variation of two-handed slam and reverse dunks.
:o :o :o
Slaughter was accompanied by his uncle Benito Fuentes, who played for the UV Green Lancers in the 1981 season of the Cebu Amateur Athletic Association (CAAA), which is now the CESAFI.

“UV is really our choice. It’s only that I failed to contact coach Boy Cabahug immediately, said Fuentes, who revealed it was Jinging Rama who spotted his nephew and invited him to join the practice. “We only allowed Gregory to join the UC practice out of respect.”

Coach Boy Cabahug, for his part, is very proud that a Fil-Am cager will don the UV jersey for the first time.

“I’m happy that for the first time, UV has a Fil-Am player in its team. Our first step is to develop him as a complete player. Hopefully, he can help us in our bid to win the National Inter-Collegiate this year,” said Cabahug.

Cabahug denied rumors that UV will be shelling out a 25,000 monthly allowance for Slaughter, but admitted they tendered him an offer he could not refuse.

“It’s not all monetary offer. One thing for sure is that UV will be there to help him fulfill his goals after his playing years with us are over,” assured Cabahug.

pachador
06-07-2007, 02:21 PM
UV Lancers acquire 6-foot-11 Fil-Am

Cebu Daily News
Last updated 01:31pm (Mla time) 06/07/2007

CEBU, Philippines--Already near unbeatable with their formidable roster of current local collegiate stars, the mighty University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers, the six-time defending champions, hope to become totally invincible in the upcoming season of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (CESAFI) basketball tournament with the addition of 6-foot-11 Fil-American behemoth Gregory Fuentes-Slaughter into their fold.

The giant from the state of Virginia, USA formally committed to UV yesterday at their practice session as he announced that he will enroll at the school today.

Slaughter was endorsed by his uncle, Benito Fuentes, a former Green Lancer in the 80s.

Former PBA great and UV head coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug, said that they really weren't trying to outbid their chief rival, the University of Cebu for Slaughter's services. They merely sat down with the 19-year old pivot and laid their cards out on the table and then, let him make the decision.

“Gistoryahan ra namo siya about the privileges that we are offering. We spoke about the allowance which was dili sad dako, pero dili sad gamay. It's enough especially for someone nga dili taga-diri. It's was up to him na to decide,” said Cabahug. “All we can say is that history speaks for itself. Our track record speaks for itself. If he wants to have a better future, off and especially on the basketball court, then UV is the place,” added Cabahug.

Cabahug also said that while he was impressed with the young center's raw abilities, there was still much to improve on. “He can shoot, he can drive to the basket and he can post up. There are a lot of things that he can do but there are also a lot of things that he needs to improve on,” said Cabahug.

Slaughter’s addition to the Green Lancers will give a roster chockfull of agile big men more ceiling and firepower. They are exp ected to dominate opposing frontlines in the upcoming Cesafi season which opens in July. These include the comebacking Ariel Mepana, who is back after missing all of last season due to an ACL injury, 6-foot-7 Rino Berame, Ed Arda, Mike Luga and rookie Gilbert Lao.

UV already boasts of the league's tallest line-up with an average height of 6'3”.

Correspondent Jonas Panerio

JonarSabilano
06-07-2007, 02:25 PM
Slaughter’s addition to the Green Lancers will give a roster chockfull of agile big men more ceiling and firepower. They are exp ected to dominate opposing frontlines in the upcoming Cesafi season which opens in July. These include the comebacking Ariel Mepana, who is back after missing all of last season due to an ACL injury, 6-foot-7 Rino Berame, Ed Arda, Mike Luga and rookie Gilbert Lao.

UV already boasts of the league's tallest line-up with an average height of 6'3”.

What? I thought this guy was already playing for Welcoat? ;D

oca
06-07-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't think the added ceiling to the line-up of the Lancers boosts their chances of winning a Nat'l title, either the Nat'l Inter-Collegiate or CCL.

The biggest drawback for UV is, for about 50 weeks every year, they play against teams w/c are patently inferior. Then bigla na lang nila makakatapat ang NCAA and UAAP teams. Where teams don't actually give up anything in height or heft.

The big men of UV can assert their advanatge over smaller opponents. Pero pag nabantayan ng kasing-tangkad or mas matangkad ng kaunti, parang nabubulaga na! Those big men were hardly a presence the last time they played in Manila.

Whatever talent or qualities the team has must be complemented by very good competition in their home league. Otherwise, hanggang diyan lang sila sa bakuran nila.

Ghostrider
06-07-2007, 06:02 PM
I would have been nice to see this guy bang bodies with Jervy Cruz, Sam Ekwe, Soc Rivera, Rabe Al-Hussaini, Brian Ilad, Rico Maierhoffer and other talented big men.

The training may be the same in Cebu, unfortunately, the competition won't be.

Joescoundrel
06-08-2007, 09:15 AM
I would have been nice to see this guy bang bodies with Jervy Cruz, Sam Ekwe, Soc Rivera, Rabe Al-Hussaini, Brian Ilad, Rico Maierhoffer and other talented big men.

The training may be the same in Cebu, unfortunately, the competition won't be.

Amen to that.

I recall Asi Taulava, then newly arrived in these Islands, at all of 6-foot-10 and 265 pounds lording it all over the Vis-Min scene during a tournament there. Then he got to the PBL and ran into a relatively smaller 6-foot-6 and 225 pound Eric Menk and Menk totally outplayed him. Asi only got better when he matured over the years in the PBA, where he actually needed about two full seasons to get past the tough post defense of the likes of Dennis Espino and the supposedly softcore Danny Ildefonso.

Recently there was all this fuss over Sam Eman, another player with superior size (6-foot-10 235 pounds) who made mincemeat of Vis-Min competition but looks lost and confused in the PBL playing against the likes of Ken Bono, Doug Kramer, Joe Devance, Beau Belga and Al Magpayo.

So for Greg Slaughter: your hoops future is in the Big City, homeboy. Get thee hence young man!

pachador
06-10-2007, 08:39 AM
June 10, 2007
UV’s Fil-Am eyed for RP Team
By Marian C. Baring
Sun.Star Staff Reporter

GREGORY Fuentes-Slaughter transformed from being a sensation to a phenomenon as he has now attracted the attention of Manila.

After two Cebu schools got into a brief tug-of-war for the 6-foot-11’s services, it’s the turn of newly-installed BAP-SBP secretary general Patrick Gregorio to “want” him.

“I can’t wait to meet the very promising player and I can’t wait to see him play. I have heard so much about him,” said Patrick Gregorio, who will fly in this Monday.

Gregorio wants the Fil-Am, who is yet to play his first game in Cebu, strut his wares for the national team.

Slaughter, a 19-year-old Filipino-American, is the new recruit of the University of the Visayas. He first made waves after UV and the University of Cebu got at odds with each other in an attempt to get him to play for their teams. He eventually ended up in the folds of UV head coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug.

Gregorio, who will be in Cebu primarily to meet with the Visayas stakeholders of Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (Bap-SBP), will be dropping by the UV gym to see Slaughter practice.

“I really want to help develop the basketball program not only in the national level but also in the regions. And Cebu has my bias. After all, I stayed there for six years,” said Gregorio, who is the founder of Cebu Visitors and Convention Bureau.

Gregorio wants to invite Slaughter to the nationwide tryouts, aimed at forming a pool for the Sea Games.

Other than Slaughter, there are 20 others set to be invited to the tryout, including former UV Green Lancer JR Quiñahan. The tryouts will also be held in Cebu from June 14-18.

Meanwhile, the stakeholders’ meeting will be on Tuesday at Yayoy’s Grill. It will be joined by other members from the entire Visayas region.

The meeting will tackle the launching of BAP-SBP during the MVBA finals later this month.

pio_valenz
06-12-2007, 05:59 PM
I just hope there's more to this kid than the hype and height. Someone who knows his basketball and has seen Slaughter play told me he's very, very raw with almost zero basketball I.Q.

razor
06-12-2007, 08:53 PM
^ Sir, raw and athletic ba daw or he's just plain raw?

There's always hope PROVIDED he's athletic and coachable. Case in point is Sam Ekwe. When he first played in the FMC3 he was such a sorry sight then that some mischievous Bedans in the stands joked and cried out for him to be shipped back to Nigeria on the first available flight. ;D Because of his physical abilities and willingness to be trained, he has progressed considerably from what he first showed then.

pachador
06-13-2007, 11:58 PM
Looks like skeptics will eat their words soon if the early observations about 6'11" slaughter proves to be true. see below:

Huge impact

Cebu Daily News
06/13/2007

Cebu, Philippines - He has yet to play in public, but Filipino-American cager Gregory Slaughter of the University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers is already gaining immense popularity not only in Cebu, but also in Manila.

“He may not know it, but he is already a big thing in Manila,” Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (BAP-SBP) executive director Patrick Gregorio said Tuesday.

“I came here to personally meet him (Slaughter) and before I came here, I told coach Yayoy Alcoseba that I would not go home without shaking the hands of Slaughter,” Gregorio added.

Gregorio said Slaughter is already making a big noise in Manila and is already being targeted to become a member of the national team that will compete in the 24th SEA Games slated December 4-16 in Thailand.

“I got to know him when I read an article in the internet about that UV-UC thing and I received several phone calls inquiring about him,” Gregorio said.

Standing at 6-foot-11, the 19-year-old Slaughter could be an integral part of the country's national team, Gregorio said.

“I hope we can borrow him from UV if we need him in the national team,” Gregorio said. “We will be ready to develop him.”

UV head coach Boy Cabahug said lending Slaughter to the national team would not be problem.

“As a coach, I have a limited authority to decide whether he could play in the national team or not but I think it would not be a problem for the Gullas family when the national pride is at stake,” Cabahug said.

Slaughter and teammate Rino Berami were named to the national training pool along with other players coming from the PBL, UAAP and NCAA.

Slaughter, on the hand, said he knows that much was expected of him.

“I know they expect a lot from me but I don't worry on it too much. I just stay focused and continue to work hard,” Slaughter said.
Slaughter is already enrolled in UV where he is taking up BS Accountancy.

Cabahug said there is no doubt that Slaughter is a talented player, but there are still some areas of his game that needs improvement.

“Talent-wise there is no problem. He can play inside and for his size, he has a decent shooting from the outside,” Cabahug said. “Since he needs to adjust to the hot climate here, we are working on his endurance. But he is slowly improving. In fact, in a quarter sprint, he timed 29 seconds and that is already good.” /Correspondents Calvin D. Cordova and Jonas Panerio

pachador
06-19-2007, 02:03 PM
In visayas , we use the words matadero or matanzahan(from the spanish root word matanza) for slaugterhouse, and yes, matador for Bullfighter or slaughterhouse guy. Greg Slaughter will be a future poster boy for "Gran Matador" brandy . Hopefully , Ramon "El Presidente" Fernandez will find a worthy succesor in Gregorio "El Matador" Slaughter ,and here's a song in honor of Gregorio "El Matador" Slaughter. It has got a beat that jives with Cebu's Sinulog Mardi Gras festival. Click the link below to see the video of the song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPNX9BL5v1w

DARZ wrote:
my point here is let the kid feel the game in a very high level like playing him besides the best of RP basketball in an international tourney....and lets accept the fact that we need a tall but agile bigman who can ran the floor...as what i've heard here in cebu that he's fond of playing the 3 spot rather than 4-5....Just for experience sakeYou have a valid point bro, and I know we all want our best for Team Pilipinas. But I think sacrificing 1 roster spot just for "experience sake" of a player is very ill-advised at this point.

For example, if Asi or Mick get's injured (knock on wood) during the tourney, then we will have a major problem with our depth in the 5 position. If we indeed had "Matador" Slaughter as our twelfth man, (hey remember, you heard that nickname from me first!), Coach chot will be forced to adjust our style of play in mid-tournament beccause I believe Greg will be too raw to play in crucial games anyway.

And remember, every game in the FIBA-Asia is crucial.

Let "Matador" prove himself and develop in the amateur leagues first. If he needs to bang with the big boys, put him in the training pool so he can learn from Asi and the other guys, but not in the actual line-up.

kryptonite
08-05-2007, 05:39 AM
^ Sir, raw and athletic ba daw or he's just plain raw?

There's always hope PROVIDED he's athletic and coachable. Case in point is Sam Ekwe. When he first played in the FMC3 he was such a sorry sight then that some mischievous Bedans in the stands joked and cried out for him to be shipped back to Nigeria on the first available flight. ;D Because of his physical abilities and willingness to be trained, he has progressed considerably from what he first showed then.

There is a saying, "You can't teach height". Sana man lang ma-approximate nya ang skill level ni Marlou Aquino o gumaling pa sya kaysa kay EJ Feihl (ga-piso lang ang taas ng talon, pisong nakatumba...hehehe)

AnthonyServinio
08-05-2007, 03:45 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/anser1123/100_1539.jpg

Slaughter = 6'11"
Servinio = 5'9"

gameface_one
08-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Slaughter mania resumes

UV takes on CIT; SWU battles USPF

By Jonas Panerio
Cebu Daily News
Last updated 03:34pm (Mla time) 08/08/2007

Last Saturday's much-ballyhooed debut of 6-foot-11 Fil-Am Gregory Slaughter gave fans a glimpse of what tomorrow may bring.

On Wednesday, Part 2 of the Gregory Slaughter-experiment highlights an exciting CESAFI twinbill when the mighty University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers take on the Cebu Institute of Technology (CIT) Wildcats in the seniors division action at the New Cebu Coliseum.

Slaughter, the six-time defending champions' prized find from the USA, thrilled the jampacked crowd at the Cebu Coliseum despite the scant playing time he was afforded by UV head coach Elmer "Boy" Cabahug against the University of Cebu Webmasters.

In that game, while the gigantic center looked sluggish and nervous at times against the swarming Webmasters, Slaughter managed to punctuate his entry into Cesafi lore with a powerful two-handed slam in the second period which drew "oohs" and "ahhs" from the crowd, players and coaches alike.

All eyes will unmistakably be on Slaughter once again on Wednesday, when UV battles a wounded Wildcat squad that lost to last year's finalist, the University of San Carlos Warriors, 89-76, last Sunday.

Aside from the 6-foot-11 behemoth, the Wildcats of head coach Alex Dela Torre must also contend with UV's powerhouse roster that includes another big rookie Mike Luga and lefty hotshot, Harlou Villanil, who combined for 44 points against UC. The Lancers will also have 6-foot-7 beanpoles Rino Berame and Ariel Mepaña along with prolific guards Von Lañete and Ritchum Dennison.

The Wildcats will be countering with arguably, the league's most talented scorer in Sherwin Abobo, who tallied 21 markers in their loss to USC.

Meanwhile, the Southwestern University Cobras and the University of Southern Philippines Foundation clash in the main game at 6:30 pm in their season debut.

Both teams will be fielding relatively new lineups after overhauling their rosters in the off-season. USP-F will still have deadly shooter Moncrief Rogado and point guard Henry Mancera along with a host of rookies while SWU will be bringing back six players from its lineup from the Partner's Cup, led by Chris Litorja, Mariano Canonigo and Eric Zanoria.

Schortsanitis
08-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Based on the team standings, all the first 4 teams (including the game this evening) that the UV will be facing are "weak" teams: Univ. of Cebu, Cebu Inst. Of Tech., Don Bosco Tech. Center & Univ. of Southern Phils. have zero (0) wins thus far in 2-3 games.

It seems the top teams, aside from Univ. of Visayas, are Southwestern Univ., & Univ. of San Carlos. Both these teams also sport zero losses in 2-3 games. I think these are the games to watch out to see how good GS really is right now.

JakeCL
10-15-2007, 06:31 PM
anthony,

slaughter should have a haircut, skinhead that is, to see what's the real height when standing. ;D

mighty_lion
10-15-2007, 07:02 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/anser1123/100_1539.jpg

Slaughter = 6'11"
Servinio = 5'9"

Taob si Slaughter kung papogian at sex appeal ang laban. ;D

yokam
10-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Greg Slaughter is still too young and if I'm not mistaken, he was not really exposed to basketball for long before playing for UV. So far, he has failed to reach everybody's expectations in the CESAFI and sometimes is made as a "laughing stock" to some fans, he's even blocked and outrebounded a lot of times by smaller players who didn't even make it to the 6-foot ceiling. The very good thing is that he's still too young and he's got a decent shooting touch. With Elmer Cabahug and Al Solis guiding him, it won't take long before Slaughter will turn to be a wrecking force in the CESAFI at both ends of the floor. Other team should get ready next season because for sure, UV will be fielding in a lot better Greg Slaughter.

thadzonline
10-17-2007, 10:57 AM
Watch out for the emergence of UV's sleeping twin towers next season: 6-11 Greg Slaughter and 6-6 Edrian Gilbert Lao

amdgc82
10-27-2007, 04:03 AM
Arthro routs UV
Cebu Daily News
Last updated 12:18pm (Mla time) 10/26/2007

CEBU CITY, Philippines - Reigning MVBA First Conference Visayas champion Arthro Kontra Arthritis banked on its experience and hardcourt maturity to smother seven-time CESAFI titlist University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers, 83-64, in their recent basketball exhibition match at the Consolacion Sports Complex.

Arthro of sports patron Jonathan 'Atan' L. Guardo and coach Al Solis did not give the UV Lancers of coach Elmer 'Boy' Cabahug any chance to recover after launching a decisive 16-7 opening attack.

Alex Cainglet had 13 points while Ronaldo 'Magic' Bucao had 12 for Arthro, which sealed the first half with a 13-point advantage, 41-28. Arthro further clobbered the Lancers in the final two quarters, 42-36, for the 19-point romp.

Former UV Lancers Leodi Garcia, Jerome Gadiane, and Jonas Mark Ababon contributed 10 points each for Arthro, while Doroteo Almacin, Jojo Omandam, Manny Garbas and Bernie Ursal combined for 31 markers.

Six-foot-11 Fil-Am Gregory Fuentes-Slaughter was the lone bright spot for UV with a game-high 20 points. Though for a losing cause, Slaughter's performance speaks for itself and connotes that he is ready to venture into the commercial ranks.

BOX SCORES:
Arthro (83) - Cainglet 13, Bucao 12, Garcia 10, Gadiane 10, Ababon 10, Almacin 9, Omandam 9, Gabas 7, Ursal 6, France 4, Mapait 2
UV (64) - Slaughter 20, Berame 8, Tantongco 6, Dennison 6, Arda 5, Diputado 4, Luga 4, Manigque 4, Cincoflores 4, Lao 1. Quarterscores:16-7, 41-28, 59-43, 83-64. /PR

amdgc82
10-27-2007, 04:05 AM
New Knights beat Lancers
Sunstar Cebu
Saturday, October 27, 2007

UNIVERSITY of the Visayas guards Von Harry Lanete and Chris Diputado and captain Ariel Mepaña, the main protagonists of the team, proved to be UV’s source of life.

Playing without them, UV, the unparalleled seven-time champion of the Cebu Schools Athletic Association, was in shambles, as it lost to little-known Asian College of

Technology Cyber Knights, 73-84, in the Inter-School Basketball tournament in Lapu-Lapu City last Monday.

Without their main gunners, it was UV’s prized 6-foot-11 center Greg Slaughter, who stepped up for the team as he was the lone Lancer to score in double digits as he tallied 20 points for UV’s losing cause.

The Fil-Am’s one-man show failed to take UV to victory as the Cyber Knights ganged up on the hapless Lancers. Ritchum Dennison, UV’s asset from the three-point lane, only registered 8 points.

Prospeto Batiancila led the Cyber Knights scorers with 18 markers, while Adelbert Nuñez and JC Ver Pagaguya added 15 and 13 points respectively.

The Cyber Knights, which was denied entry to become member of the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc., lost to the University of San Jose Recoletos in its last outing. USJ-R is another Cesafi-member school.

ACT (84)—Batiancila 18, Nuñez 15, Paraguya 13, Reyes 11, Pontemayor 9, Aparice 8, Doy 6, Seletona 2, Dela Peña 2 UV (73)—Slaughter 20, Dennison 8, Luga 7, Villanil 7, Manigque 6, Cincoflores 5, Lasala 4, Lao 4, Tancongco 4, Pitogo 2, Catolpang 2. (MCB)

yokam
11-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Greg Slaughter has finally get used to CESAFI basketball and has started to get out of his shell. Both Boy Cabahug and Al Solis has indeed done a really great job in this kid. Two more years then I won't be surprised if Slaughter will leave UV and play somewhere else, most likely in a more competitive league.

thadzonline
11-10-2007, 06:59 AM
Greg Slaughter has finally get used to CESAFI basketball and has started to get out of his shell. Both Boy Cabahug and Al Solis has indeed done a really great job in this kid. Two more years then I won't be surprised if Slaughter will leave UV and play somewhere else, most likely in a more competitive league.

that is if UV releases him...GS surely has potential and hopefully he will get to the next level and eventually play in the PBL and the NT

ankle breaker
11-24-2007, 04:32 AM

that is if UV releases him...GS surely has potential and hopefully he will get to the next level and eventually play in the PBL and the NT

let's just hope that cabahug and solis will teach him everything not just 3 point shooting which they are known for in the pro ranks. ;D i heard that GS can shoot the 3 with so much ease.

thadzonline
11-25-2007, 12:31 PM
GS has shown that he can be a good defensive player and if he can improve his quickness, that should be good

yokam
11-26-2007, 12:51 PM

let's just hope that cabahug and solis will teach him everything not just 3 point shooting which they are known for in the pro ranks. ;D i heard that GS can shoot the 3 with so much ease.

Greg Slaughter actually has good hands. In his first season in the CESAFI, he's a good to decent perimeter shooter and his low post game is still on progress.

It would be quite interesting to see what he's got when he returns to Cebu after the CCL.

thadzonline
11-26-2007, 04:20 PM
GS is set to have much tougher competition in Cebu with 6'7" Webmaster Junmar Fajardo coming back from sick bay and USC set to acquire its own 6'9" Fil-am giant

ankle breaker
11-28-2007, 04:08 AM
GS is set to have much tougher competition in Cebu with 6'7" Webmaster Junmar Fajardo coming back from sick bay and USC set to acquire its own 6'9" Fil-am giant

who can confirm that trueness of this report that a 6'9" player is being eyed by USC?

thadzonline
11-28-2007, 08:43 AM
it was the dad of a USC player who talked to Jayrams about this 6'9" guy..I was there beside them with Rowe when they were discussing this

ankle breaker
11-29-2007, 10:38 PM
did emel rowe heard what they were talking? what's his insight or comment about it?

thadzonline
11-30-2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah, Emel knows about it, and he was saying: "If he can shoot free throws, and can defend the post decently, I'll be happy"

Disharmony
07-10-2008, 02:18 AM
http://www.yearwithoutasummer.net/15thparallel/hand-me-the-keys-philippines-i-have-potential.html

:D

pachador
07-15-2008, 12:25 AM
is this really Greg Slaughter doing a 2-handed dunk? if its true then he has become much more mobile and fast !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIPS_Y6rwIc

amdgc82
10-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Saturday, October 04, 2008
Pages: As Greg slaughters, UV marches to No. 8 this ’08
By John Pages
Match Point
www.sunstar.com.ph

HE IS the Burj Dubai, the world’s tallest skyscraper. The Empire State Building. He’s Taipei 101. He’s the Marco Polo Hotel of Cebu basketball who is statuesque and overlooking while the rest of the buildings sit below his monstrous shadow.

Last Thursday night at the Cebu Coliseum and together with 12,000 standing-room-only fans, I watched Game 1 of the UV vs. USJ-R Cesafi finals.
One behemoth dominated. No, sorry, he didn’t dominate—he lorded. On this game where you shoot at the 10-foot-tall ring, his nearly 7-foot-tall frame—plus those outstretched hands that would dwarf Michael Phelps’—he reigned supreme. He lorded tall in the forest like a towering giraffe looking down at the jaguars. And, by jaguars, yes, I mean the USJ-R Jaguars.

Greg Slaughter, whom I watched last year and who was then ridiculed for being too slender, too clumsy and too awkward-moving, has now turned into a brawny, confident and herculean of an athlete.

Standing one inch shy of seven feet, he is, regardless of whatever sport he enters excluding chess, expected to be dominant. And what domination Greg displayed in Game 1.

He stood inside the shaded area and, when opponents like Lyndon Gudez and Jabe Delfino attempted to sprint down the lane and hover on air like Michael Jordan, this Hakeem Olajuwon would extend his arms to the Cebu Coliseum ceiling and scare the enemy. The result? A forced shot. A miss. Greg also drew a lot of fouls. In the few minutes as soon as he entered, the defense would wrap themselves around him—resulting to foul after foul.

In offense, he’s invincible. Think about it: How can a 6-foot-4 defender, for example, stop someone seven inches taller? You can’t. You push, stand your ground, but when that backbone leans on you like the Leaning Tower of Pisa, you have no chance. He’ll score. And, last Thursday, Greg Slaughter massacred the Recoletos dribblers with 23 points.

He’d flip his body for a sky hook. He’d catch a pass from the excellent UV point guard, Chris Diputado, and score a simple lay-up. He’s unstoppable.

And, yes, let me say this: a superstar. For while this city has discovered dozens of basketball superstars the past decades—Mon Fernandez, Elmer “Boy” Cabahug, Jojo Lastimosa, Al Solis, Don-Don Hontiveros and many more—this ‘008, we have a new shooting star: Mr. Slaughter.

I was seated beside my idol on this paper’s Opinion Section page, Atty. Frank Malilong, who, apart from being a UV alumnus (he wore a green Lacoste shirt), was also the UV basketball team’s manager from 1981 to ’93. Seated beside him was Dr. Rhoel Dejano. Whenever Greg would score or intimidate an opponent by just standing straight, Frank and I would look at each other and, because it was too loud with both schools’ drums banging, simply smile and shake our heads in amazement.

The “defining moment,” as Atty. Malilong aptly put it, came seconds before the end of the third quarter. The USJ-R players attempted a shot, missed and, while several players jumped to rebound—guess what?—Mr. Giant Slaughter stands—he doesn’t even jump an inch—and, with one hand, pulls the orange ball like a magnet. No kidding. While plenty jumped, Greg stood still, just stretched his arm and—voila!—got the rebound.
Zero effort.

Unbelievable. Unstoppable. Unimaginable.

And here’s more. Unlike Shaq, this center of centers is excellent at the free throw lane. In my count, he attempted nine free throws and made eight. That’s an 88 percent clip.

Which is why I urge all Cebuanos to watch the Cesafi final. Tonight at 5:30 p.m. is Game 2 at the Cebu Coliseum. And, while I believe that the Green Lancers are an indomitable squad—though I wish USJ-R would win tonight and level the series—this I ask you to do.....

Watch Greg slaughters.

(john@pages.ph)

amdgc82
10-06-2008, 06:18 AM
Sunday, October 05, 2008
UV's Slaughter named Cesafi MVP
www.sunstar.com.ph

GREGORY Slaughter is finally reaping the rewards of all his hard work. After being buried in the shadows of the University of the Visayas Green Lancers’ star players during as a freshman last year, Slaughter finally broke out of the shadows and took his place in the limelight as he won his second Most Valuable Player award in the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc.(Cesafi)

Slaughter, the 6-foot-11 prized center of UV, was awarded the season MVP yesterday, to add to the other MVP trophy he got during the All-Stars game.

Slaughter was also named into the Mythical 5 along with teammate Von Lañete, USJ-R’s Luther Justiniani, Armand Ponce and another star center, Junmar Fajardo of University of Cebu.

Team effort

However Slaughter said he grabbed the MVP honors not because of his individual effort, but because of the entire Green Lancers.

Winning the MVP hasn’t sunk in due to his focus on winning Game 2 of the Cesafi finals, but the Filipino-American, humbly credited his teammates, who helped him get the honor.

“The team has absolutely everything to do with this because Fajardo has better statistics than I have but making it to the finals gave me the edge. But we wouldn’t have reached the finals if not because of the combined efforts of the team,” Slaughter said.

The Mythical 5 was determined after collating all of the statistical points (SP) of all players since the start of the season until the semifinals.

Fajardo came out with the dominant SP. Officials, however, voted Slaughter for his huge contribution in steering UV to its eighth straight finals appearance. (MCB)

a_ron
10-06-2008, 11:23 AM
he deserves the award,and also he have to thank the referrees for the ward..those who were able to watch the game you can tell what i am talking.........

thadzonline
10-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Slaughter deserves it. I probably missed only 2 of his games this season, and the referees were kinda hard on him actually. Yes, he got away with a few non-calls(especially traveling) but he also got called for a lot of silly fouls.

a_ron
10-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Sori sir thadz if I disagree,Slaughter get away of so many offensive fouls, n with a slight contact being called a foul...

thadzonline
10-06-2008, 06:24 PM
well, you can say the same for anybody who wins that MVP award..CeSAFI officiating just sucks big time

ankle breaker
10-06-2008, 11:30 PM
CESAFI refs really sucks even in other leagues they officiated. Where are they affiliated for? BARECOM or other REF association? they need more schooling for sure.

thadzonline
10-07-2008, 08:49 AM
Slaughter scores a measly 2 points in UV's Game 3 finals loss to USJ-R

nastrans
10-10-2008, 08:00 PM
I thought Slaughter had a quiet 16 points for the Green Lancers but he made his presence felt by grabbing the rebounds and man the paint on defense.

He's still a bit slow as far as offensive movement is concerned but the post moves has to be worked a bit para mas mabilis pa galaw niya. Like I said he had a quiet 16 points but credit that to the double or triple teams made by USJ-R (may isa pa nga na halos ulo na binabangga niya sa likod ni Slaughter).

thadzonline
10-11-2008, 02:58 PM
yep, 16 points and 19 boards for GS in Game 4 to cap a dominant season for him winning all 3 MVP awards up for grabs

amdgc82
10-12-2008, 07:12 AM
Sunday, October 12, 2008
Pages: Greg Slaughter: Q & A with the triple MVP
By John Pages
Match Point
www.sunstar.com.ph

LESS than 48 hours after leading the University of the Visayas (UV) to its eighth Cesafi basketball title, I sat down with not only the tallest person at the Ayala Center Cebu last Friday—but also the only player in Cesafi’s eight-year history to be named the season MVP, the All-Star game MVP and the Finals MVP.

Together with UV shooting guard (and his best friend) Von Lanete, who’s headed for the PBL on Tuesday to play with Harbour Centre, Greg Slaughter and I exchanged stories during lunch at Bigby’s Restaurant. Von and Greg had just finished lifting weights at Fitness First—and were famished. And so, just between the three of us, we ordered two large plates of sandwiches, two bowls of pasta, a plateful of quesadillas and their Rack-a-bye Ribs. For nearly two hours, I queried Cebu’s 20-year-old superstar...

How was your childhood?

“My dad, William, met my mom, Emma (Fuentes), when he visited Cebu many years back. They got married and I was born in Ohio. My dad worked for nuclear power plants and so, when I was very young, we moved around a lot. When I was seven years old, we relocated to Virginia... that’s where I studied and where my parents still live until today.”

How did you become so tall?

“My dad is 6-foot-3. My mom’s 5’7”. So, yes, they’re tall but not super, super tall. My dad’s and mom’s relatives are not also very tall, so I don’t know... I’m just really tall.”

How big a baby were you?

“I was 11-plus pounds at birth! My mom would later tell me that I was the second-biggest baby ever born in that hospital.”

At what age did you reach 6 feet tall?

“When I was 12. I was, obviously, always the tallest in school. And when I finally started playing serious basketball at the age of 15, I was 6-foot-6.”

Since you’re only 20 years old, you think you’ll grow that one extra inch to be 7-feet-tall?

“Well, when I wear these (looking at his black adidas shoes), I’m over 7-feet-tall. But, without shoes, I should be a little over 6’11.” But, yeah, I hope to be a 7-footer.”

When you fully stretch your arms, how near the basketball ring are you?

“Maybe eight inches away from the ring. I can tap the backboard and grip the middle of the net. So it’s just a few inches of jumping then I’m on the ring.”

Apart from basketball, what other sports did you play as a child?

“Fencing. My dad was into fencing when I was young and I took up the sport. I had this big advantage because of my height and, especially, my reach. I’d fully stretch my arm and it would be difficult for opponents to hit me. That was fun.”

I watched you play Cesafi last year and found you moving awkwardly. How did you improve so much in 12 months?

“I practiced everyday. We’d scrimmage a lot, joined leagues. Our coaches Boy (Cabahug) and Al (Solis) practiced us hard, Monday to Saturday from 3 to 7 or 8 p.m.”

Your free throws are excellent. In the Cesafi Finals Game 2, I saw you make 8 of 9. What, unlike Shaq, is your secret?

“Coach Boy (Cabahug) asks all the players to shoot 50 free-throws everyday before we start practice. Not 50 attempts—but 50 free-throws in. That goes for all UV players. That helped. Also, because of my height and because I’ll get a lot of fouls and will also be shooting free throws, I always hear this comment, ‘Gotta make those free throws, they’re important to the game.’ So I remember that line.”

Favorite NBA player?

“Tim Duncan! He’s so good... so good. He’s not flashy and gets the job done. He’s also a two-time MVP. The thing with Duncan is he doesn’t look dominant—but he is dominant! And so I watch a lot of his games and try to follow him. One time, I followed his signature move... attempting to score a hook shot, faking, turning, then driving in for a lay-up... I tried the same move and it worked. I love that move.”

Hobbies?

“I love playing videogames, the PSP (Sony Playstation). I just finished the game, ‘God of War.’ I also play card games around my neighborhood. We play tong-its!”

More on Tuesday....

(www.pages.ph)

amdgc82
10-14-2008, 06:10 AM
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Pages: The ‘Tim Duncan’ of Cebu basketball speaks
By John Pages
Match Point
www.sunstar.com.ph

LAST Friday, I sat down for lunch with Greg Slaughter and asked him a plateful of questions. Here is the rest of my Q & A with the Cebu basketball phenomenon who stands nearly 7-foot-tall (...now I know why his jersey is No.7).

How does Cebu compare to your home in Virginia, U.S.A.? “I really like the people in Cebu. They’re more friendly. People here, especially families, help each other out. So I really like it here. In Virginia, we lived there for 10 years and I didn’t even know the people around my neighborhood. In the States, it’s more individualistic. Here, generally, people are more friendly.”

Are you American or Filipino? (Laughs.) “I’m both. I carry two passports. And, when I’m lining for immigration, I show both passports. So I’m both. I’m Fil-Am.”

Best friend in Cebu? (He points to the man seated beside him, Von Lanete, the star UV guard who’ll be joining the Harbour Centre PBL team.) “We get along very well. Ever since our first practice last year with UV, Von and I have become really good friends.”

How popular have you become? “Well, because of my height, everywhere I go people stare at me. But now, especially with the Cesafi All-Star and the Finals, people recognize me more. A few days ago, we were at the beach and someone approached to congratulate me for playing well. Here in the (Ayala) mall, people come up to me to shake hands.”

Girlfriend(s)? (Laughs out loud then points to Von.) “He’s got plenty. No comment on my part.” (Then Von points to Greg and speaks.) “He’s got a girlfriend... on and off.”

Your goal? “The PBA. Maybe also the RP team, if I’m called. But it’s got to be the PBA. Which team? The team that pays the highest! (Laughs.) But, seriously, I want to go pro.”

When? “I don’t know. Maybe next year. Maybe two years from now. It all depends if there are offers. I also want to take the next one or two years to continue improving myself. I want to be ready before I join the big league.”

What do you need to improve? “Everything! My left hook, my right hook... my footwork... my running... my perimeter shooting... everything. I’m also doing a lot to strengthen my legs. I’m doing a lot of gym work, especially squatting and, without any gym weights, doing the ‘invisible chair’ where I bend my knees to harden the leg muscles.”

Know how to speak Cebuano? “Gamay. (Laughs.) It’s easier to understand than it is to speak. So I understand the basic Cebuano words.”

Like? “It’s funny because the very first word I learned—and I still remember this until now—is ‘manananggal.’ It’s funny but I just remember that word. Maybe I saw it first on some TV show.”

How does this season compare to last year? “Big difference. When I arrived last year, I got sick a lot. Maybe it was where I stayed... at our quarters. But since I moved to my uncle Fernando’s house (the younger brother of her mom, Emma) in Mambaling, I’ve really improved, health-wise. I’m also able to eat more. Also, last year, I had a hard time adjusting, especially when we practiced or played at the (Cebu) Coliseum. I got pneumonia, had colds... people would smoke inside the Coliseum or they’d roast peanuts... I’m allergic to the smoke from roasted peanuts. But now, I’m healthier.”

Your body weight? Shoe size? “I’m 240 pounds. When I arrived last year, I was around 235—so I gained some weight, possibly added muscle. Shoe size? I’m a size 15... but my feet are starting to hurt and I’ll have to get size 16. It’s difficult buying that size here. I often ask my parents (who’ll be coming here for Christmas) to bring me some.”

What’s next? “Well, the next major event is the Champions League, which pits all the top college teams. Last year, we reached the finals and lost to Ateneo. This year, the event is in November... so that will be exciting. It was difficult last year because, coming from out-of-town, you’d have to wait several days in-between games. It’s a big advantage to the Manila teams because they live there. For us, from Cebu, it’s difficult. But it will be exciting to play Ateneo, La Salle, San Beda....”

Well, I wish those Manila teams good-luck. For as they face UV, they’ll be welcomed into Greg’s Slaughterhouse!

(Full interview at www.pages.ph)

pachador
10-15-2008, 05:46 AM
what struck me about slaughter's replies in his interviews is his confidence and intelligence and desire to improve. for some reason, after digesting his interview , i just had this feeling , he will be the next "Big difference" . in other words, he will be the next caloy loyzaga. hmmmm, definitely, lets wish him the best.

if he continues to improve, i think Slaughter's nickname should be the "big difference" coz he is big and his presence on the court makes a big difference. This is the same nickname given to Caloy.

my proposal to call him the next big difference is only if he keeps improving. Remember, last year when a lot of people were laughing at him then compare it to this year when he won MVP, if he keeps improving every year, imagine the possibilities....

coreytaylor
10-17-2008, 10:59 AM
OT: hehe saw greg slaughter in kfc near cebu doc. funny how he looked liked when he was eating the mash potatoes, he looked like a little kid holding a little candy. then he told his manong, "maenong, paliet ug manok, agpas kay guwtom kaayo ko".* ;D i was surprised when the old man ordered a bucket meal.* ;D

didn't see him in black hole though* ;D

thadzonline
10-17-2008, 11:43 AM
are u in cebu corey? do you study here?

salsa caballero
10-17-2008, 11:45 AM
^^ Wow, dato ka gyud, ha! Pila man ang tiket para Sugbu?

coreytaylor
10-18-2008, 12:06 PM
are u in cebu corey? do you study here?

i was in cebu. i just arrived in cdo. i was on vacation. ;D

coreytaylor
10-18-2008, 12:15 PM
^^ Wow, dato ka gyud, ha! Pila man ang tiket para Sugbu?

P900 man ata SP ;D

ankle breaker
10-21-2008, 12:28 AM
OT: hehe saw greg slaughter in kfc near cebu doc. funny how he looked liked when he was eating the mash potatoes, he looked like a little kid holding a little candy. then he told his manong, "maenong, paliet ug manok, agpas kay guwtom kaayo ko".* ;D i was surprised when the old man ordered a bucket meal.* ;D

hahahahaha. nosebleed, pare. i can't imagine what slaughter looks like when he munched that one bucket spicy chickens of KFC.

thadzonline
10-21-2008, 09:00 AM
OT: hehe saw greg slaughter in kfc near cebu doc. funny how he looked liked when he was eating the mash potatoes, he looked like a little kid holding a little candy. then he told his manong, "maenong, paliet ug manok, agpas kay guwtom kaayo ko". ;D i was surprised when the old man ordered a bucket meal. ;D

didn't see him in black hole though ;D

counter-trivia: Junmar Fajardo consumes 6 cups of rice in each meal ;D

coreytaylor
10-21-2008, 10:10 AM

eating competition na lang between greg and junmar ;D

coreytaylor
10-21-2008, 10:26 AM

hahahahaha. nosebleed, pare. i can't imagine what slaughter looks like when he munched that one bucket spicy chickens of KFC.

what's very very funny was after they left kfc. they called a taxi and greg was in the back..the taxi was jampacked! ;D greg was lying at the back bwahahahaha! makikita mo sa mukha niya na hirap na hirap siya makagalaw sa loob ahahaha! ;D

thadzonline
10-21-2008, 10:56 AM
i saw 6'4 guys crawl at the back of the cab and I still cant imagine Greg with all his 6'11 frame in the cab ;D

pachador
10-21-2008, 12:38 PM
making fun of giants ha ;D malooy kamo sa mga higante

pachador
10-21-2008, 12:40 PM
i got a hunch that the origins of the tikbalang giant was probably some filipino in the ancient past with gigantism. Due to their extreme height they are kept hidden by their parents or they are very shy, and they come out only at night, and while taking a cigarrete break, some guy walking down the trail sees this smoking pinoy giant and presto the legend of the tikbalang was born.
Look at the disfigured face of Raul Dillo, heck, its sad, but he can pass for a tikbalang specially at night. I'm sure if you saw a 7 footer in a dark road in a small town, you will run away siguro ano ;D

The_Big_Cat
10-21-2008, 01:14 PM
How many years pa will Greg Slaughter play in CESAFI? ???

thadzonline
10-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Greg has 3 years of eligibility left but Im not sure if he's going to use up all of it

bchoter
10-21-2008, 04:55 PM
When EJ Feihl was in UST, I once saw him driving an owner-type jeep. His seat was pushed almost all the way at the backseat

razor
10-21-2008, 05:09 PM
When EJ Feihl was in UST, I once saw him driving an owner-type jeep. His seat was pushed almost all the way at the backseat

OT: I also heard a story about EJ driving a volkswagen in UST while seated at the back seat with the front seat removed? Urban legend? ;D

LION
10-22-2008, 06:43 PM

OT: I also heard a story about EJ driving a volkswagen in UST while seated at the back seat with the front seat removed? Urban legend?* ;D

OT: When I was a college student in UST, I saw EJ walking along P. Noval and a jeepney stopped in front of him. Grabe. Yung pinakatuktok ng Jeep hanggang dibdib lang ni EJ. Kitang kita niya bubong.

The_Big_Cat
10-22-2008, 08:03 PM

OT:
Marlou Aquino also onced owned a owner-type jeep.
razor, LION; EJ Feihl used to pass by San Beda because may hinahatid siyang girlfriend to Holy Spirit.

In 1998, when Tim Cone was on the process of selecting players that would make up the Centennial Team to the 1998 Bangkok Asian Games may exhibition games ang 24-man team sa Cebu at nakasabay ko sila sa Domestic Airport, they were headed to Cebu. Ang nakakatawa is that patagilid dumaan si EJ Feihl at Bonel Balingit sa metal detector ng airport. ;D

On Topic: I read in the broadsheets prior to the start of the CESAFI this season, Greg Slaughter was quoted as saying that he will at least play two more years in CESAFI.

thadzonline
10-23-2008, 08:49 AM
one or two he says. He is wary about not getting enough competition in Cebu

canmaker
10-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Bai,

Ingon ni Nonoy Chuatico during their time sa Ateneo dorm, si Nonoy 6 cups of rice.*

Unya siya Jojo Lastimosa, 8 cups of rice.* Kuyawa UYYYY!!!

=====

ankle breaker
10-24-2008, 12:18 AM
Bai,

Ingon ni Nonoy Chuatico during their time sa Ateneo dorm, si Nonoy 6 cups of rice.*

=====

basin nagkinahanglan ug daghang power. yano ra man nila tunawon ang carbs tungod sa training regimen.

bchoter
10-24-2008, 02:11 AM
^ With mais siyempre :D

thadzonline
10-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Bai,

Ingon ni Nonoy Chuatico during their time sa Ateneo dorm, si Nonoy 6 cups of rice.

Unya siya Jojo Lastimosa, 8 cups of rice. Kuyawa UYYYY!!!

=====

OT: hehe saw greg slaughter in kfc near cebu doc. funny how he looked liked when he was eating the mash potatoes, he looked like a little kid holding a little candy. then he told his manong, "maenong, paliet ug manok, agpas kay guwtom kaayo ko". ;D i was surprised when the old man ordered a bucket meal. ;D

didn't see him in black hole though ;D

sus ginoo! si Ekwe kaha? ;D

MonL
10-24-2008, 09:40 AM
Bai,

=====

sus ginoo! si Ekwe kaha? ;D

Isang malaking platong paella. Ga-bundok ang takal.

Appetizer pa lang yun. ;)

:D

trencher_k
10-24-2008, 10:32 AM
^Sir MonL, paano pa kay yung kay Baby Shaq Taganas? :D

^ With mais siyempre :D

bchoter, kahibalo sad mo mag Bisaya? :D

thadzonline
10-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Greg Slaughter is currently practicing with the Cebu Niños. He told me he might be playing in the Cebu games and weekend games of the Niños in the Liga's 2nd conference

amdgc82
10-24-2008, 10:42 AM
Slaughter leads Pulpogan win in Consolacion cagefest
Friday, October 24, 2008
The Freeman

The Greg Slaughter-led Pulpogan scored six straight points with less than a minute left to play to pull off a great 78-75 escape over Lamac and bolster its title hunt in the 2008 Consolacion Fiesta Cup Inter-Barangay Open Basketball Tournament at the Consolacion Sports Complex.

Slaugher, a 6-foot-11 center of the University of the Visayas (UV) Green Lancers who etched his name in stone for sweeping all three MVP awards in the 2008 CESAFI season, punched in 18 points capped by the game-clincher.

Slaughter was heavily backed up by former pro Stephen Padilla with 17 points followed by Jayford Rodriguez with 10 markers. Padilla and Rodriguez are products of the UV Lancers and are currently with the multi-titled M. Lhuillier Kwarta Padala in the commercial circuit.

Lamac, with former collegiate and pro star Gilbert Demape in tow, was headed to victory with a 75-72 lead with 1:08 remaining in the game.

But in just a wink of an eye, Pulpogan countered with a fluid 6-0 burst to snatch the upperhand, 78-75, on Slaughter’s basket with 20 ticks left before the final buzzer.

Lamac had several chances to send the game into overtime but Demape and Bobby Hatague misfired their 3-point attempts as the gameclock expired.

Several other UV cagers keyed Pulpogan’s breath-taking triumph with Ritchum Dennison, Ariel Mepaña and Chris Victor Diputado conniving for 34 points.

Hatague paced Lamac with 20 points followed by Jimwell Torion and Jabe Delfino with 12 and 11 markers, respectively, Demape was handcuffed to only eight points.

The three-month hardcourt tilt is strongly supported by the municipal government of Consolacion under the leadership of Mayor Avelino Gungob, Jr. and Vice Mayor Ember V. Alinsug. Overseeing the games is Poblacion Oriental Brgy. Councilor Paul Alelu Q. Flores, a former star of the FEU Tamaraws in his UAAP days.

In an exhibition game, the Cansaga selection tamed the Flores Cousins, 94-91. It was the Flores Counsins’ second straight setback after posting back-to-back wins last week.

The scores
Pulpogan (78) - Slaughter 18, Padilla 17, Dennison 9, Mepaña 8, Diputado 7, Tagalog 4, Calo 2, Villanil 2, Lao 1

Lamac (75) - Hatague 20, Torion 2, Delfino 11, Demape 8, Malinao 8, Llera 4, Omolon 4, Amores 4, Toring 3, Espinosa 1

Quarterscores:18-11, 41-37, 61-60, 78-75 – EBV

trencher_k
10-24-2008, 10:45 AM
^Good news giyud na Thadz. *With reports that Liga is also considering inviting Ekwe to join the league, fans are in for a treat watching these two play against each other. *:)

a_ron
10-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Si balingit kung mu inom ug 1.5 mura ra ug 8oz..

coreytaylor
10-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Bai,

Di mana kuyaw bai! 8 cups man gali ko kung naay pista! ;D* isa ka kaldero siguro! ;D

OT: Kendrick Perkins of Boston Celtics eats 6 Hotdog Burgers prior to a game. (Kaya pala napaka-oily nang face niya during a game ;D)

coreytaylor
10-24-2008, 04:39 PM
Greg Slaughter is currently practicing with the Cebu Niños. He told me he might be playing in the Cebu games and weekend games of the Niños in the Liga's 2nd conference

thadz, wala ba siyang plano mag-pbl?

thadzonline
10-24-2008, 09:53 PM

thadz, wala ba siyang plano mag-pbl?

meron and consequently the PBA, I think he starts moving up after next season or the year after that

Semenelin
10-25-2008, 09:22 AM

is CESAFI ok with this? isnt liga a pro league since no active student participates in this league and they get allowances from a company/corporation?

thadzonline
10-25-2008, 10:42 AM
we dont know yet, but Im sure he is also making his own query regarding that

ankle breaker
10-27-2008, 11:58 PM
maybe slaughter is just practicing with the niños to further hone his skills. he will be against grizzled veterans in the likes of marlon basco, rino berame, danny aying among others. he will learn a plenty of things practicing with them.

amdgc82
11-03-2008, 06:03 AM
Monday, November 03, 2008
RP team taps Slaughter
www.sunstar.com.ph

THE University of the Visayas Green Lancers mammoth center Greg Slaughter takes a step further his basketball career as he will take part of the three-day training for big-men of the Philippine national team training pool at the Ateneo de Manila University today.

Of all the centers who played in the Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi), it is only Slaughter, who attracted the attention of the Manila bigwigs as he was handpicked to take part in the specialized training.

The training will be spearheaded by Serbian coach Rajko Toroman.

Slaughter had an impressive season this year in the Cesafi and swept all of the MVP titles—All-Stars, regular and finals—and it was Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas head Noli Eala who personally contacted UV Green Lancers head coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug to invite his prized ward to join the specialized training for centers.

“Slaughter was chosen becase we feel he has a tremendous potential and upside,” Eala said in a text message to Sun.Star Cebu.

On the other hand, Cabahug will accompany Slaughter to the training camp, not to protect him from prying agents, but to join his ward in the camp.

“This will greatly help out Greg because this training specializes on the drills, the techniques for big men on the basketball court like him,” said Cabahug.

Cabahug added that he will join Slaughter in the training so that the inputs of the Serbian coach Rajko Toroman will be applied in Slaughter’s daily training here at the UV gym.

Regular practice

“That is why I will be joining him today so that I will know what to do once we come back here, the training will still continue during our practices while he is still studying. And that he will be ready once his services are needed for the RP team,” said Cabahug.

Cabahug said that while it is a possibility that Slaughter will be called to beef up the RP team, the final decision still hinges on UV top honcho Dodong Gullas and the Cesafi.

“If the Cesafi and the Gullases say yes, then we will let Greg play for the RP team,” said Cabahug.

Toroman was tapped by the SBP to guide the non-PBA national team members to fortify the RP national basketball team. (MCB)

Schortsanitis
11-03-2008, 03:20 PM
I hope somebody can give a scouting report on how GS did against the UAAP / NCAA big men over the next three days over there at the Ateneo gym.

amdgc82
11-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Looking good
By Jonas Panerio
Cebu Daily News
First Posted 15:33:00 11/04/2008

The first day of Greg Slaughter’s run at making the Philippine national basketball team was a smashing success.

The prized 6-foot-11 tower of eight-time Cesafi champion University of the Visayas (UV) lived up to expectations during his first stint of training under Serbian coach Rajko Toroman, at the Moro Lorenzo gym at the Ateneo de Manila University campus in Manila.

Slaughter, who led the Green Lancers to their eighth straight title in the Cesafi last month was tapped by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas to attend the three-day big man camp under the watchful eye of Iran’s former head coach, Toroman.

According to Slaughter, he was made to participate in several intense big man drills, which left him out of breath quickly.

“They had me do a lot of drills. It wasn’t hard stuff but I got winded quickly. It was very tiring,” Slaughter said in an interview with Cebu Daily News.

Slaughter participated in the training sessions along with two Fil-American players and Mac Baracael of the Far Eastern University.

Slaughter considered the opportunity to be a grand one and is hopeful of being selected into the national squad.

He also added that the training would be ultimately good for him individually and the entire UV squad, as they prepare for their stint in the Philippine Collegiate Champion’s League.

“I think the potential to improve is limitless. They are going to have me train and have all these international competitions. Toroman is a great coach who brings with him an impressive resume, that includes bringing Iran to the Olympics and producing the very first Iranian player in the NBA,” Slaughter said.

Multi-titled head coach Elmer “Boy” Cabahug also conceded that the chance for his big man to improve will go a long way towards helping the UV Green Lancers.

He is also in Manila to accompany his center and learn from Toroman.

“It will be a plus factor for Greg and UV as he will be able to train with the best young big men in the country today,” Cabahug said.

amdgc82
11-06-2008, 05:58 AM
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Cebu’s 6-11 cage star puffs under Toroman
By Waylon Galvez
www.mb.com.ph

Obviously out of shape, Fil-American Gregory Slaughter could hardly keep up with the drills ordered by Serbian coach Rajko Toroman yesterday at the Philsports Arena in Pasig.

Huffing and puffing, the six-foot-11 giant admitted that he just got back from vacation.

"When I arrived here (in Manila), I’m not really in shape. But when I get back here for the tryouts, it’s going to be different," said Slaughter in a phone interview.

Because of his size, Slaughter is one of the players tipped to survive the three-day tryouts that begin on Nov. 13 at the Philsports Arena.

Slaughter was invited to attend an informal workout with Toroman who had the chance to see first hand what the Cebu-based player could do.

The 22-year-old University of Visayas center, whose mother hails from Cebu, went through several drills that included post up moves under the basket, dribbling and spinning and strong finish to the hoop.

Although conceding that he still has a lot to learn to become a dominant center, Slaughter said he hopes that he impressed the Serbian coach.

Toroman could not be reached for comment.

Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) executive-director Noli Eala is concerned that Toroman might say things that may not sit well with Slaughter and his coach Boy Cabahug, a former PBA player.

Talking with Cabahug, Eala’s concern appeared to be misplaced.

Cabahug said Slaughter has improved, but conceded that he still needs to work hard.

"Malaki ang improvement ni Greg compared last year," Cabahug said. "Pero iba din ‘yung training n’ya under coach Toroman, medyo kulang pa siya (Slaughter) sa quickness and reaction. I came over to observe so that when we go back to Cebu, pwede namin ma-implement ‘yun."

Slaughter has two more training sessions with Toroman, today and tomorrow at the Moro Lorenzo Gym inside the Ateneo campus in Katipunan, Quezon City.

He leaves tomorrow afternoon for Cebu and come back here for the tryout, where the best college players were invited including UAAP MVP Rabeh Al-Hussaini and Finals MVP Noy Baclao of champion Ateneo, Ogie Menor and Pong Escobal of three-time NCAA champion San Beda College.

Aside from Slaughter, also present during the first training session were Fil-Ams Tyrell Theophile from St. Gregory in Oklahoma City and Joey Deaz from Rockhurst University in Kansas, former Atenean Ford Arao, Zamboanga-based player Jonathan Pareno, Far Eastern University’s Mac Baracael and UP’s Martin Reyes.

Eala said that it’s going to be a challenge for Toroman to transform Slaughter into a dominant center.

"This could be an acid test for him (Toroman). One thing going for Greg is that he has the size, he’s 6-foot-11 and with a big body. Coach Rajko really wants to train him," he added.

The SBP will form a 35-man pool after the three-day tryouts.

From the pool, Toroman will pick the 15 players for various international tournaments including next year’s Southeast Asian Games in Laos, the 2010 Asian Games in China, and the 2011 FIBA-Asia Championship, which is the qualifying event for the 2012 London Olympics.

Toroman’s team is different from the one coach Yeng Guiao will form which is an all-pro squad that will compete in the 2009 FIBA-Asia Championship in China.

If Guiao’s national team finishes in the top three, it would earn a spot in the 2010 World Championship in Turkey.

The 53-year-od Toroman signed a three-year contract with SBP in which he would assume the post of project director tasked with forming and training an all-amateur national team.

Under Toroman, the federation hopes he could lead the country’s bid to earn an Olympic berth. The last time the Filipinos played in the Summer Games was during the 1972 Munich Olympics.

Last year, Toroman helped Iran win the FIBA-Asia Championship to earn an Olympic slot in the previous Beijing Games.

a_ron
11-06-2008, 08:38 AM
He will be good in Torohan under Toroman..................

thadzonline
11-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Slaughter is only 20 years old not 22 as mentioned in the article. GS will turn 21 in May 2009 yet

ankle breaker
11-06-2008, 11:02 PM
glad to hear greg is now in serious training under a certified big man coach.

st_ang3r
11-06-2008, 11:25 PM
thadz, any info why fajardo wasnt invited? or he was invited pero hindi lang pinayagan?

thadzonline
11-06-2008, 11:30 PM
no idea bro, will ask UC trainor