PDA

View Full Version : Players who have won a championship in every level here in our country

tigerman
07-14-2008, 08:52 AM
Who are the players who have won at least one title in every level of basketball here in our country? highschool, college, amateur and professional (Kung applicable isama ang SBP at Passarelle kayo bahala ;D)

I can only think of 5 players so far who have done so.

1. Gerard Francisco
- Won titles in the juniors and seniors with UST in the UAAP (As a Tigercub in 1994 and as a Tiger in 1995 and 1996)
- Won a title with Tanduay in the PBL (I can't exactly remember the specific conference but from my recollection it was back in 1998. When he was with a star-laden Tanduay team coached by Alfrancis Chua).
- He was part of the first ever championship of Sta. Lucia back in the 2001 governor's cup.

2. Enrico Villanueva
- Just like Francisco, he also won titles in the juniors and seniors with Ateneo in the UAAP (As a Blue Eaglet in 1995 & 1997 and as the King Eagle in 2002).
- Won a championship with Ateneo-Pioneer in the PBL (The conference before the start of the 2002 season of the UAAP)
- He was among the leaders of the Red Bull team that won the 2005-2006 PBA fiesta conference.
- Larry Fonacier and Paolo Bugia should be included here with Enrico since they've been teammates practically for most of their basketball careers.

3. Joseph Yeo
- He led Xavier to the title in the Tiong Lian. I can't remember what year.
- won a title with DLSU in 2001
- He was a key member of the first champion team of Harbour along with Tenorio.
- part of the Sta. Lucia team that won the 2007-2008 PBA Philippine Cup.

Anybody else? I'm pretty sure some old players as well have won at every level.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

The_Big_Cat
07-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Avelino "Samboy" Lim

* 1978 NCAA Junior's Champion with the San Beda Red Cubs

* 1982, 1983 & 1984 NCAA Senior's Champion with the Letran Knights

* 1985 William Jones Cup Champion with the San Miguel/NCC Team

* 1986 PABL Champion with Mama's Love

* 1989 PBA Grand Slam Champion with San Miguel Beer

LION
07-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Johnny Abarrientos.

tigerman
07-14-2008, 10:00 AM
Napaghahalata ang edad natin ah The _Big_Cat. ;D

Salamat sa input.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
07-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Johnny Abarrientos.

Did Johnny win a title in highschool? From what school did he play his juniors basketball career?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

The_Big_Cat
07-14-2008, 10:06 AM
Napaghahalata ang edad natin ah The _Big_Cat.* ;D

Salamat sa input.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Ikaw naman naalala ko lang. ;D
Yung high school at collegiate days ni Samboy hindi ko na maalala.
Pero yung 1985 Jones Cup stint niya I definitely remember because I have a betamax copy of it. Yung Mama's love he also had Jojo Lastimosa's older brother as a teammate also. And definitely yung 1989 Grand Slam napa nuod ko sa TV.

tigerman
07-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Isama na din pala natin dito si Benjie Paras.

- NCAA juniors championship '81 and '82 (San Beda)
- UAAP seniors championship '86 (UP)
- PABL title with Philips' Sardines
- PBA title with Shell

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

The_Big_Cat
07-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Venancio "Benjie" Paras was San Beda High School Class of 1986.
He was a rookie in UP when they won the UAAP title.

tigerman
07-14-2008, 01:04 PM
So Paras never won a title as a Red Cub or I posted the wrong championship year?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Joescoundrel
07-14-2008, 01:39 PM
I'd like to put down Rommel Adducul on this list but I do not know what his high school accomplishments were.

I know for sure he won several titles in the NCAA, at least one each in the PBL and the MBA, and of course at least two with Barangay Ginebra in the PBA, and at least two international titles, SEABA and SEA Games I think.

bchoter
07-14-2008, 02:12 PM
It will be tough for the modern-day ballers to win at all levels because we it becomes harder and harder to win the top plum in Asia. Take away the regional level and you'd probably get a handful. But the key is to win in HS. Having said that I think Elmer Reyes is probably the last to win on all levels.

HS: San Beda - NC Juniors Champs
College: San Beda - NC Juniors Champs
Commercial League: Magnolia/Lagerlite (?) PABL champs
ASEAN Level: RP Team - SEA Games champs
Asian Level: RP Team - ABC Champs
World Inter-club level: Northern Consolidated - Jones Cup Champs
Professional League: San Miguel Beer - PBA Champs

Joe, Adducul Led Cagayan to the Cagayan Valley Regional Athletic Association (CAVRAA) crown. I'm not sure how basketball is set up in Cagayan today but I'm sure he would have led St. Paul of Tuguegarao to a crown.

The_Big_Cat
07-14-2008, 02:39 PM
^Naalala ko yung Lagerlite team na yun pero hindi ko maalala si Elmer Reyes.

I have a copy of the 1985 Jones Cup stint (Championship game vs US). I didn't recall seeing Elmer Reyes there too.
Reserve yata doon si Elmer Reyes. Ron Jacobs used only a 8 to 9 man rotation for San Miguel-Philippines. Mostly babad sila Moore, Engelland and Still. Kung may papalit man si Franz para kay Hector, Allan for Samboy, Yturri for Still and Dignadice for Moore.

Hindi nanalo si Benjie when he was with the Red Cubs. Benjie was recruited by Badolato from Grace Christian HS.

pio_valenz
07-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Johnny Abarrientos.

Did Johnny win a title in highschool? From what school did he play his juniors basketball career?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Yes, he did. With FEU in 1987.

oca
07-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Avelino "Samboy" Lim

** 1978 NCAA Junior's Champion with the San Beda Red Cubs

** 1982, 1983 & 1984 NCAA Senior's Champion with the Letran Knights

** 1985 William Jones Cup Champion with the San Miguel/NCC Team

** 1986 PABL Champion with* Mama's Love

** 1989 PBA Grand Slam Champion with* San Miguel Beer

Samboy's PABL title was with Lhullier ( tama ba ispeling?).

bchoter
07-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Johnny Abarrientos.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

But they lost to Dumdum and co. in the National Open (?)

bchoter
07-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Hector Calma also won crowns ina almost all levels (ok all levels if anybody can prove he was equally succesful in HS) of play:

Collegiate level: UAAP champions - AdU Falcons
Commercial level: MICAA Champions - Solid Mills/Apcor
Regional Youth level - ABC Youth Champions - RP Youth Team
ASEAN Regional level: SEA Games champions - RP Men's Team
Asian Regional level: ABC Champions - RP Men's Team
Professional Level - PBA Grand Slam - SMC
World Interclub - W. Jones Cup - Northern Consolidated

The_Big_Cat
07-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Florendo "Ren-Ren" Ritualo Jr. also had a spectacular amateur career:

* 1996 NCAA Juniors Champion & MVP for San Beda Red Cubs.
* 1997 UAAP Senior's ROY for La Salle Green Archers
* 1998, 1999, 2000 & 2001 UAAP Champion for La Salle Green Archers
* 1999, 2000 & 2001 PBL Champion for Welcoat Paints

pio_valenz
07-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Johnny Abarrientos.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

But they lost to Dumdum and co. in the National Open (?)

Sino si Dumdum pareng bchoter?

Johnny A. led the FEU Baby Tams to the '87 juniors crown, upsetting the Adamson Baby Falcons in the finals. I'm not sure if Vic Pablo was his teammate, but if he was, then there's another player who won at every level.

bchoter
07-16-2008, 06:18 PM
^ Si Dumdum ng dating Cebu Central Colleges na iba na ang pangalan ngayon. He's about 6'2" na ilalim ang laro. Hindi na tumangkad kaya di na rin masyadong umangat ang laro at pangalan.

easter
07-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Eh yung kasama ang grade school championships meron din?

amdgc82
07-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Avelino "Samboy" Lim

** 1978 NCAA Junior's Champion with the San Beda Red Cubs

** 1982, 1983 & 1984 NCAA Senior's Champion with the Letran Knights

** 1985 William Jones Cup Champion with the San Miguel/NCC Team

** 1986 PABL Champion with* Mama's Love

** 1989 PBA Grand Slam Champion with* San Miguel Beer

Avelino "Samboy" Lim was not in the line up of the San Beda Red Cubs (NCAA jrs champion squad) in 1978-1979 season. The team was composed of Mukesh "Mike" Advani (captain), Willie Baleva, Rey Buencamino, Jay Chu, John Copada, Juancho Cordero, Bliz Cuna, Billy Frauendorff, Cesar Lasa, Banjo Lazaro, Glen Leonor, Joey Loyzaga (co-captain), Rene Orosa, Jerry Rodas and Doy Toledo.

amdgc82
07-20-2008, 11:00 AM
^ Si Dumdum ng dating Cebu Central Colleges na iba na ang pangalan ngayon. He's about 6'2" na ilalim ang laro. Hindi na tumangkad kaya di na rin masyadong umangat ang laro at pangalan.

He is Michael Dumdum. He was a member of the Cebu Cental College (now University of Cebu) jrs team which defeated the Johnny Abarrientos led FEU Baby Tams in the National Intersecondary Basketball Championship (not the National Open) in 1988.

kornell
07-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Pero yung 1985 Jones Cup stint niya I definitely remember because I have a betamax copy of it.

sir big cat, gumagana pa ba yang betamax copy mo nayan. patransfer naman sa cd oh, tapos pa shares saming mga di napanood sila calma, caidic, and samboy rp team years nila....

BigBlue
07-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Joel Banal won championships in three different levels College, Amateur and Professional, both as a player and as a coach. I think we can also throw in an international championship as well, not 100% sure with that though. Also not sure about his high school credentials

bchoter
07-23-2008, 09:38 AM
Pero yung 1985 Jones Cup stint niya I definitely remember because I have a betamax copy of it.

sir big cat, gumagana pa ba yang betamax copy mo nayan. patransfer naman sa cd oh, tapos pa shares saming mga di napanood sila calma, caidic, and samboy rp team years nila....
I also had a copy of this (via PTV4) but molds got teh better of it :(. TBC I'm willing to do the converting :D

The_Big_Cat
07-23-2008, 10:08 AM
bchoter, my old man's things are in the care of my brother. I'll ask him to find it first.

Joel Banal, I think, was part of the 1981 Mapua NCAA Champion team together with Leo Isaac.
Joel Banal won PBA Championships with Great Taste Coffee in the mid-1980s with Coach Baby Dalupan.

As a coach, he led Mapua to the 1991 NCAA Championships and Ateneo to the 2002 UAAP Championships.
He also won a PBA Championship as a coach for Talk N' Text in 2003. That was the time yung may Oakwood mutiny.

pepman
08-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Rey Evangelista
- UAAP Championship (1993) USTe
- PBL Championship (1993-1994) Nikon
- PBA Titles (1994, 1997, 2002, 2006) Purefoods