PDA

View Full Version : UAAP Season 71 Neutral Game Discussions

Schortsanitis
07-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Mods, just wondering if I can start a thread here in the UAAP section as a neutral grounds to discuss games in the UAAP Season 71. That way, I don't have to go to each of the specific school sections to discuss the games from their point of view.

Just an option for others out there in case they feel the same. Anyway, to start off about the ADMU-UE game this afternoon (July 13, 2008):

UE vs. ADMU 071308

Monster game by Rabeh Al-Husseini, 18 points, 17 rebounds. Rabeh can really be very effective when he plays with a lot of intensity. But he has to realize, that he has to work hard to get good performances. Playing for ADMU, he gets a lot of motivation to work hard because of the support of the ADMU community, but he has to realize, that kind of support won't be available when he leaves the UAAP for the commercial leagues. He therefore needs to make it a habit to work hard on his own regardless who he is playing for.

The best thing I liked about Rabeh's game this afternoon, was that he was involved in at least 5 of ADMU's fastbreak plays. This is a 6'8" player who could run the break with the guards not only once or twice, but a couple of times. You don't get to see much of that in Philippine basketball.

A potential problem for ADMU, though, is that once Al-Husseini and Baclao sits down, UE was overwhelming the big men coming off the bench, namely Jobe Nkemakolam and Nico Salva. Norman Black will have to prepare for that in future games, as it may come back to haunt him then.

Pari Llagas and Hans Thiele were non-factors in this game. Those 2 will likely have nightmares about Al-Husseini and Baclao tonight. :D It was only Elmer Espiritu in UE's frontline who had a decent game underneath the boards.

zuuuper
07-13-2008, 07:32 PM
I think one of the reasons why UE loss to ADMU are the ill-advised 3 point shots in the last quarter. It should be notice that UE is not in control of the boards during the game which compounded their misery in keeping possession of the bball. If im the coach of UE, i would instruct my players not to take 3 point shot instead instruct them to bring the ball down the paint and fish for fouls from ADMU's big men. The UE hurriedly make their 3 points shot even without their rebounders properly set-up. UE was overwhelmed by the height of ADMU which caught them off-balance and prevented them to set-up their plays properly. In short, UE again choked in the last quarter. ;D

scqg
07-13-2008, 10:05 PM
if im not mistaken, ue had the control of the boards throughout the game especially on the offensive rebounding side.

ateneo played good but inconsistent defense.. ue big men got "nakaw" plays inside the paint for several plays while ue guards made quite a number of three-pointers.. not to forget, the warriors had the helping hand of the refs today..

theunderdog
07-14-2008, 07:52 AM
there were too many offensive fouls called. the UE warriors were clearly flopping. i think refs should start giving technicals to flops. and pangit kasi e. ang lalaki nilang tao tapos hipan mo lang tumutumba.

The_Big_Cat
07-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Hindi sumipot si Arellano kahapon. ;D

I was expecting him to have a banner season in his last year. He should have showed more leadership but instead gave a "so-so" performance.

Fellow guards Casio (DLSU) had a brillant 29-point game and Chris Tiu (ADMU) a 26-point opening game. So far, Arellano has nothing to show yet.

gfy
07-14-2008, 09:24 AM
there were too many offensive fouls called. the UE warriors were clearly flopping. i think refs should start giving technicals to flops. and pangit kasi e. ang lalaki nilang tao tapos hipan mo lang tumutumba.

The one on Rabeh was clrearly a charge. Rabeh is not a flopper kasi di siya marunong tumumba :D. Baka mapatapilok. At kung mapatumba mo si Rabeh eh talagang charge yun hehe.

zuuuper
07-14-2008, 02:42 PM
yeah UE have the control of the boards for the first 3 quarters but not in the fourth. Also, UE hit many 3 pointers for the first 3 quarters but they made ill-advised 3 point attempts in the 4th to wrest back the lead but to no avail. yes, UE got offensive rebounds during the 3 quarters but did not get the offensive boards during the crucial 4th quarter. evident is the crucial follow up of rabeh in the last 3 minutes of 4th quarter which balooned the lead to nine.

Ateneo's defense is inconsistent in the 3 quarters but they adjusted it and tightened the defense in the last quarter. UE's defense in turn became inconsistent as Ateneo's Buenafe was able to penetrate the paint and make outlet pass to Rabeh.

I agree that UE's Arellano again did not show up in the game. He is there but his competitive spirit is not there especially during crunch time (4th quarter) where his leadership is needed. ;D

oca
07-14-2008, 08:29 PM
The 1st and 3rd games of ADMU, Coach Black has been making fewer substitutions in the 4th.This I believe makes for the fluidity of their offense. Halos hindi na nga magpalit ng tao paglagpas ng 5th minute mark.

Di ko na binanggit ang 2nd game kontra Falcons, tambakan kaya wala tayong mababasa sa 4th qtr nyon. ;D

oca
07-14-2008, 08:33 PM
NU.

More than Asoro's virtual absence in the game, what this team needs is a PG who will control their game. One who will give direction.

oca
08-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Katatapos lang ng ADMU-AdU 2nd rd meeting.

Ateneo should easily make it to the Finals this time.

They play solid basketball at BOTH ENDS of the COURT, and Norman's substitution hardly disrupts the fluidity of his team.

The Eagles have a deep rotation and except for Buenafe and Salva, that rotation is made of seasoned players. But then, Ryan doesn't play like a rookie at all.

I don't think there is anything that will derail ADMU in its march to the Finals. As to winning the title, well, I still have deep respect for both UST and DLSU, though both currently have weaknesses in their backcourt, magkaiba ang problema pero parehong nasa materryales sa mga gwardiya.

As for FEU and UE, the former must take one of the twice-to-beat spots to entertain any thoughts of making the finals. Untested ang Tamaraws sa F4 phase and if if they need to win twice sa F4, I doubt if they can achieve that. Yung Warriors naman, well, taon-taon nandun yung expectation ng tao sa kanila, hintayin na lang natin kung ano ang makakayanan nila.

Howard the Duck
08-28-2008, 10:20 PM
UAAP men's standings:
x-ADMU 11-1
x-FEU 9-3
X-DLSU 9-3
w-UE 7-5
UST 5-7
e-UP 3-9
e-NU 2-10
e-AdU 2-10

z-clinched finals
y-clinched 2x to beat
x-clinched semis
w-clinched playoff to semis
e-eliminated

Scenarios:
If Ateneo wins over NU, they clinch the twice to beat. If either La Salle or FEU loses + they win, they clinch #1.
It seems DLSU and FEU will have a playoff for #2.
If UST loses anymore games, they're eliminated.
If UE wins over UST, UE goes to the final four.
If UE loses their remaining games and UST wins their remaining games, there'll be a playoff for #4.
If UE wins all of their remaining games and either FEU or DLSU loses their remaining games, there'll be a playoff for #3.

Raging Blue
08-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Clarification. If Ateneo wins against NU on Saturday, not only do they get an outright twice to beat advantage, they also clinch the number 1 seeding for the final four. Even if Ateneo loses to DLSU on Sept. 6, they only end up with 2 losses for the elimination round. FEU and DLSU already have three losses each at this time.

Howard the Duck
08-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Clarification. If Ateneo wins against NU on Saturday, not only do they get an outright twice to beat advantage, they also clinch the number 1 seeding for the final four. Even if Ateneo loses to DLSU on Sept. 6, they only end up with 2 losses for the elimination round. FEU and DLSU already have three losses each at this time.

yep. if ADMU wins, they're #1 no matter what happens to the DLSU and FEU games.

More qualifying scenarios:
Women:
y-FEU 11-1
x-UP 10-2
w-UST 8-4
AdU 7-5
DLSU 6-6
e-ADMU 4-8
e-UE 1-11
e-NU 1-11

Scenarios:
FEU can clinch the #1 seed with a win and a UP loss
UP can clinch twice to beat with a win or a UST loss
UP can clinch the #1 seed if they win all of their remaining games and FEU loses all of their remaining games
UST can clinch a semis seat if they win and a DLSU loss
UST can clinch a playoff for the #2 seed if they will all their remaining games and UP loses all of their remaining games
AdU can clinch a playoff for the #4 seed with a win
AdU can clinch the #4 seed if with a win and a DLSU loss
DLSU can clinch the #4 seed if they win all of their remaining games and AdU loses all of their remaining games
DLSU can clinch a playoff for the #4 seed if they win all their remaining games and AdU wins only 1 of their remaining games

Juniors:
y-DLSZ 11-1
x-AHS 10-2
w-AdU 8-4
w-FEU-F 8-4
UST 6-6
e-NU 3-9
e-UE 2-10
e-UPIS 0-12

Scenarios:
DLSZ can clinch #1 seed with a win
AHS can clinch the #1 seed if they win all of their remaining games and DLSZ loses all of their remaining games
AdU and FEU-F can clinch a semis seat if either of them win and UST loses
AdU and FEU-F can clinch a playoff for the #2 seed if they win all of their remaining games and ADMU loses all of their remaining games
UST can clinch a playoff for the #4 seed if they win all of their remaining games and FEU doesn't win ALL of their remaining games.
UST and FEU play in their last games.

z-clinched finals
y-clinched 2x to beat
x-clinched semis
w-clinched playoff to semis
e-eliminated

Note: playoffs for #2 and #1 seed hold true if the UAAP Board rules that ties are broken via a game. Most of the time they don't break ties with another game in the women's and juniors divisions except for the tie @ #4.

Feel free to correct if something screwed up...

eustacia
08-29-2008, 10:03 AM
What are the remaining games in the womens and juniors division?

akosiblink
08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
What are the remaining games in the womens and juniors division?

Women's

FEU - NU, UP
UP - AdU, FEU
UST - AdMU, DLSU
AdU - UP, AdMU
DLSU - UE, UST
AdMU - UST, AdU
UE - DLSU, NU
NU - FEU, UE

Junior's

DLSZ - UP, AdMU
AdMU - AdU, DLSZ
AdU - AdMU, NU
FEU-F - UE, UST
UST - NU, FEU-F
NU - UST, AdU
UE - FEU-F, UP
UP - DLSZ, UE

clutchjedi
08-29-2008, 01:48 PM
It seems DLSU and FEU will have a playoff for #2.

assuming they both go 2-0 or 1-1 in their final 2 games - FEU vs UP then UE, DLSU vs Adamson then Ateneo

would the playoff likely be on the following thursday (sept 11), so final four starts on sunday?
or would they play earlier, say tuesday, so that the final four can start sept 11?

eustacia
08-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Looking at those remaining games, itís safe to say the final four cast for both the womenís and juniors are set.

I donít see AdU and FEU losing both their remaining games in the Juniors division, so that kills USTís chances. And DLSU has to win against UST, and AdU has to lose at least once more, in order for there to be a playoff for #4 seed in the Womenís division.

nastrans
08-29-2008, 10:52 PM
It appears that pwedeng pang maging 13-1 ang lahat ng mga top-ranked teams in the three basketball divisions ng UAAP.

bg_eagle
09-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Yesterday's UE-UST game has got to be one of the worst played games, albeit exciting, that I've seen. Major mental lapses for both teams with UE blowing a big 22 point 4th qtr lead mainly by shooting 3s too early in their shot clock. As for UST, forcing 2 3 point attempts while being down by 1 and 2 with Jervy still available blown any chance of them snatching the game from UE and keeping their final four hopes alive.

stonecold316
09-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Yesterday's UE-UST game has got to be one of the worst played games, albeit exciting, that I've seen.* Major mental lapses for both teams with UE blowing a big 22 point 4th qtr lead mainly by shooting 3s too early in their shot clock.* As for UST, forcing 2 3 point attempts while being down by 1 and 2 with Jervy still available blown any chance of them snatching the game from UE and keeping their final four hopes alive.*

That was the play by coach Acot. Besides the threes work earlier so why not try shoot again from there? Kung pumasok eh di kami panalo. Yun nga lang hindi so congrats sa UE, especially sa pumalakpak while we we're singing our hymn.
;) ;) ;)

myktristan
09-01-2008, 09:11 PM
well, we could have settled for a tie but we went for the game-winning shot..sayang pero ok lang para sakin..two games that day were nerve-wracking and sulit ang bayad mo sa ticket..either sa ticket window ka bumili or sa scalper..hehehe..

oca
09-04-2008, 08:43 PM
As for FEU and UE, the former must take one of the twice-to-beat spots to entertain any thoughts of making the finals. Untested ang Tamaraws sa F4 phase and if if they need to win twice sa F4, I doubt if they can achieve that. Yung Warriors naman, well, taon-taon nandun yung expectation ng tao sa kanila, hintayin na lang natin kung ano ang makakayanan nila.

Penultimate play day of the UAAP just completed.

FEU just wasted their chance of earning a twice to beat spot and, imo, any hope of making the Finals. Yes, there is still one playdate and a DLSU loss this Saturday results to a best-of-3 between the Archers and Tamaraws.

I can imagine the Tamaraws assuaging themselves this very moment and saying that nothing is lost as far as making the Finals is concerned.

Just beat DLSU.

But it is not that simple. With this loss, regardless what happens this Saturday, they have to beat the the Archers twice!

Twice? Beat DLSU two times? In a series?

From where I seat, this FEU line-up doesn't have the character to accomplish that. Not yet.

If they don't have the character to nail a twice to beat advantage, should they be expected to win twice in a series vs DLSU?

So, does it mean that it will be an ADMU- DLSU championship series?

Well, I just realized that this may be the first time in a long while that UE is in the F4 with less expectation and less pressure. If they can play relax, they may just steal game 1. Kutob ko, pag nagkaroon ng winner take all second game, mamamayagpag ang mga gwardya ni Dindo. An in-form Paul Lee, a confident Zamar, an agressive Raffy Reyes, never-afraid-to-take-the-three James Martinez, I think these kids will play better as underdogs. Si Marcie? I already took him out of the equation.* ::)

Dark Knight
09-04-2008, 10:06 PM
I also feel that UE might steal game 1 against Ateneo simply because of the Law ofAverage thing. Ateneo havent loss since their first round defeat to FEU and their second one might come in the inal 4.

But they will still make it to the Finals.

stonecold316
09-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Kahit pala nanalo USTe last Saturday, this will still be put to waste because UE won against FEU kanina.

Anyway, UE will have a hard time against Ateneo. Pero who knows they might pull a surprise and win against ADMU. FEU, on the other hand, has to work doubly hard against DLSU. I'm sure malaking adjustment na ang gagawin ng DlSU to stop players like Barroca and Fernandez from scoring at will.

Anyway, maganda ang Final Four this year. FUll of action to.

Howard the Duck
09-04-2008, 11:48 PM
sana DLSU-UE sa finals para makabawi si dindo :P

joelex
09-05-2008, 12:04 AM
Still think this is Ateneo's year finally, due to the big time improvement of al hussaini, super rookie buenafe and the motivation of the whole team and the support group. Also with the combination of DLSU and UE losing key players replaced by rookies this year, and the fact that FEU's promising core not scheduled to peak this early, this season should be for Ateneo to lose.

yellow_we
09-05-2008, 05:50 AM
^ This will be the 5th attempt of Coach Norman to bring home the bacon for the Eagles. Do you think Coach Norman will still be retained as your coach should ADMU fail to win the crown this year?

actionscript
09-05-2008, 11:26 AM
^ This will be the 5th attempt of Coach Norman to bring home the bacon for the Eagles. Do you think Coach Norman will still be retained as your coach should ADMU fail to win the crown this year?

The Bacon has been with Ateneo for two to three years na ata?* ???

:D

Howard the Duck
09-05-2008, 12:47 PM

The Bacon has been with Ateneo for two to three years na ata?* ???

:D

hahahahah :P

RockLobster
09-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Kahit pala nanalo USTe last Saturday, this will still be put to waste because UE won against FEU kanina.

On the contrary, if UST pulled off the win last week, yesterday's game would've taken a different face. UE would've been pressured to win aganst FEU if the Warriors went on to lose to the Tigers prior. That may have been exactly the case for FEU yesterday. They were hard-pressed to win because they were chasing the twice-to-beat against DLSU. UE was more relaxed. Then again, there's still the game tomorrow, where FEU can still tie La Salle if the Archers lose to Ateneo.

At any rate, you're right, this year's Final Four is quite exciting. Among other reasons, admittedly, there is the possibility of an Ateneo-La Salle Finals. Let the battle begin!

oca
09-05-2008, 01:54 PM

Anyway, UE will have a hard time against Ateneo. Pero who knows they might pull a surprise and win against ADMU. FEU, on the other hand, has to work doubly hard against DLSU. I'm sure malaking adjustment na ang gagawin ng DlSU to stop players like Barroca and Fernandez from scoring at will.

Anyway, maganda ang Final Four this year. FUll of action to.

Moot and academic man, I just want to say and to agree with Rock', it may not be the case.

There was absolutely no pressure on the part of the Warriors when the entered the court vs FEU. Dahil wala na ngang habol ang Tigers.

Napakalaking bagay yun !

Howard the Duck
09-05-2008, 02:01 PM
It's like "if he made the FT in the 2nd qtr. panalo sana" argument. The succeeding events would've been different if the original event was changed.

oca
09-05-2008, 02:20 PM
It's like "if he made the FT in the 2nd qtr. panalo sana" argument. The succeeding events would've been different if the original event was changed.

Not quite, if I may say so.

You miss a FT midway in any game, it doesn't linger through the end of the game. But if you do lose, you may go back to those missed FTs AFTER the game.

But, if losing a game forces you into a playoff, OPENING tip pa lang, the pressure will be there spot on!

Howard the Duck
09-05-2008, 02:23 PM

Not quite, if I may say so.

You miss a FT midway in any game, it doesn't linger through the end of the game. But if you do lose, you may go back to those missed FTs AFTER the game.

But, if losing a game forces you into a playoff, OPENING tip pa lang, the pressure will be there spot on!

Kung 1 point lang ang lamang OT sana ;D

The_Big_Cat
09-06-2008, 05:51 PM
The last time a Manny Pangilinan-backed team ended the eliminations with a 13-1 record was in 2006.
San Beda ended the eliminations with a 13-1 record, including 12 straight wins to finish the elims, enroute to a championship.

Right now, looks like Ateneo is headed in that direction also.

5FootCarrot
09-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I personally am not putting too much stock in any parallels between those two teams.