PDA

View Full Version : UAAP Season 71 Game 3: DLSU Green Archers vs. UST Growling Tigers

bigfreeze_bibby
07-13-2008, 01:37 PM
After the Green Archers' big victory yesterday against the upstart FEU Tamaraws, they now face another tough challenge against the UST Growling Tigers. The Tigers disposed quickly of the UP Fighting Maroons yesterday, 94-75 and proved the strength of their team this season. Both of these teams are tied in the middle of the pack in the team standings as of now but one has to give in after Thursday's game.

Key match ups will be on UST's Jervy Cruz, who has mastered to become a decoy on offense and focused more on passing in their last game against UP against La Salle's frontline guys PJ Walsham, Rico Maierhoffer, Ferdinand, and Maui Villanueva. La Salle may find themselves undersized at the 2/3 spots due to UST's wing players Ababou, Allera, Mirza, Canlas and Taylor who can more or less rotate at the 2/3/4 spots at ease.

La Salle's own backcourt and wing guys should step up big time if the Archers want to claim their 2nd victory this season. Malabes, Barua, Mangahas, Casio, and Bagatsing shoud be up to the task in matching up with UST's power and strength in those positions. I see more of Casio playing the point this time around not to give up too much height disadvantage for the green and white.

As for the point guard position, Japs Cuan will be matched up with Simon Atkins and the much awaited match up between La Salle's LA Revilla going up against UST's and former Junior Archer star Jeric Fortuna. Both Revilla and Fortuna showed flashes of brilliance playing the back up point for their respective teams this season and proved that they belong in the UAAP at this stage of their collegiate careers.

Overall, it will a be tough, slam bang action this Thursday with both teams coming out smoking to give their respective teams a slight advantage in the standings after three games. Both teams had memorable encounters to cherish and remember back in season 70.

zuuuper
07-13-2008, 08:35 PM
This is another blockbuster game between two great teams. Game 1 and 2 of season 70 are both exhilirating. I expect more from these two teams come thursday.

UST have to stop JV Casio while DLSU have to stop Jervy Cruz.

It would be a clash of rookies between these two teams as well. Goodluck to both team ;D

shyboy
07-13-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm looking forward to the matchup between LA Revilla and Jeric Fortuna. I won't be surprised if Fortuna gets extra aggressive in this game.

nel
07-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Against UST, the Archers will have to match up against tall, athletic players who can also light it up from the long court. Very similar to FEU, except that UST has an inside presence as well. This is going to be a tough game, for sure.

The_Big_Cat
07-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Mangahas vs. Ababou.

myktristan
07-14-2008, 11:44 AM
if the coaches would permit it, the Revilla-Fortuna match up will be the one to watch out for..

wearpeptalk.multiply.com (http://wearpeptalk.multiply.com)

nash_bedista
07-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Another also:

Wings vs Wings ;D

DLSU(mangahas, Barua, Webb,)

UST(Ababu, Allera, Mirza)

yellow_we
07-15-2008, 04:36 AM
Mas ok sana kung sa Araneta and weekend yung laro para mas madami makapunta. Err... But anyway, yet another game to watch this week. May the best team wins! Animo.................Tigers!* :D

Jervy - Rico
Canlas - Mangahas
Allera - Webb
Mirza - Casio
Fortuna - Revilla < - One time, big time lang o!

My choice of starting five for both teams this Thursday.* :P I didn't choose Dylan as I still believe he's stronger coming off the bench.

stonecold316
07-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Regardless of the results, maganda ang laban na ito. I'm also sure all-out support ng mga pep squad and supporters kahit 4 pm Thursday ang laban. Balita ko yung iba either hindi papasok or magle-leave just to watch this ball game.

ONE CHEER
GO USTe!

stonecold316

ArcherAdictant
07-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Revillia vs Fortuna will be a great one.
Green team all the way. Animo La Salle! :>

stonecold316
07-17-2008, 01:29 AM
The Thomasian community will be at the venue to support the Tigers. Win or lose, dapat sport lang tayo.
Goodluck to both teams.

yellow_we
07-17-2008, 07:58 PM
congrats guys! you had the first bite!

GHRanger
07-17-2008, 08:50 PM
^ Thanks. And congrats to UST as well!

The_Big_Cat
07-17-2008, 09:02 PM
James Mangahas played his best game in season 71. When La Salle was down, he always comes up with the clutch points. He has now inherited the role of Cholo Villanueva from last season.

He was so good that he kept my main man on the bench, PJ Barua.

tigerman
07-17-2008, 09:59 PM
We got a dose of our own medicine. A tall, lean, athletic wingman named James Mangahas killed us.

Congrats DLSU. Even though I saw the game only on tv, you could feel the playoff atmosphere and the win-or-go home slogan written all over it.

See you in the oppps...* :)

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

batangueño
07-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Overall, it was a very close game between the Archers and the Tigers. Both squads played great basketball, making this afternoon's DLSU-UST duel a classic despite some "crazy" calls by the NABRO boys.

Kudos to JV Casio, James Mangahas and Bader Malabes for each having a great game today. I'll be more particular with James' performance because he emerged as one of the Archers' most reliable men through his game today. It was James who stepped up when the team was in some bit of a trouble and, thank God, he was successful in taking on that role.

Now, as far as UST was concerned, Jervy Cruz and the tall and athletic wing men (Dylan Ababou, Francis Allera and Mark Canlas) were the ones who carried the Tigers. Jervy, as usual, scored from right underneath the basket while the wing men took it on from both outside and inside.

Lastly, on Jeric Fortuna, in a sharp contrast from his past performance during the UP-UST game, he was well defended today. I also think that his end game composure collapsed when he tried to take that jumper in the dying seconds of the game instead of passing the ball to Dylan or to Jervy. Despite that, I still think that Jeric would eventually improve and mature now that he is now in his new home in España.

flsfnoeraekadad
07-17-2008, 11:47 PM
See you in the oppps...

Next round

;D

bchoter
07-18-2008, 10:16 AM
They've weathered every Tiger onslaught. The Archers deserved to win.

Congratulations.

shyboy
07-18-2008, 10:39 AM
I was seated near the La Salle bench and boy I had a good view at home small the Archers were compared to their UST counterparts. There was a time the UST five on the floor were Cruz, Ababou, Allera, Canlas with Fortuna/Cuan at the point. We lost on rebounds and points in the paint. Buti na lang maganda ang gising ni Mangahas and Malabes.

bigfreeze_bibby
07-18-2008, 11:24 AM
They've weathered every Tiger onslaught. The Archers deserved to win.

Congratulations.

It was a nice game as well pare. Another classic basketball game. See you guys next round.

stonecold316
07-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Despite the loss, masaya pa rin ako kasi ang ganda ng laban from start to finish. Buhay na buhay rin ang crowd ng both squads making the game like a championship battle. Isa pang nakakatuwa is that after the game, maganda ang respetuhan ng supporters ng dalawang teams. Sana laging ganyan.

My hats off to Jvee Casio, Bader Malabes and James Mangahas. Everytime UST will make a run, they we're the ones who save DLSU from defeat. Sa UST naman the usual guys step up like Jervy, Dylan, Mark, Francis. Kudos also to Jeric kasi despite bungling two three-point attempts, he was the one who orchestrated UST's offense and big comeback after being down by at least 10 points in the third.

See you guys sa next round. Hopefully, kami naman ang bumawi next time.

bchoter
07-18-2008, 03:17 PM
Where's the love for LA Revilla? The kid should be credited for taking Japs out in the end game. What an ankle breaker.

31gna
07-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Where's the love for LA Revilla? The kid should be credited for taking Japs out in the end game. What an ankle breaker.

yun ba talaga ang nagpa injure kay Japs? akala ko natumba lang sya like na-out balance, so na sprain talaga? yaiks.. hope he gets well soon.

bchoter
07-18-2008, 03:57 PM
I was just kidding. Japs satrted limping after the playwehre he dropped a pass to Francis while his back was turned towards the basket.