PDA

View Full Version : The Purefoods-Talk N' Text knockout match turns into a rumble

tigerman
07-09-2008, 11:37 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=n1CdiJbhbLY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xbJA0ZPr_GQ

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

joelex
07-09-2008, 11:54 PM
;D

Deciding to drive to Antipolo for a couple of KO matches in the PBA turned out to be a treat, the TNT-PF match was physical from the get, although TNT managed to surge ahead, at the rate Salvador and Villanueva were going I kinda expected the temperemental Leather to snap and finally he did with 9mins left in the game.

He was frustrated mostly with the calls which was admittedly questionable especially in the mini run by PF at the start of the 4th, Leather was called for cheap fouls while the 2 PF enforcers were getting away in ticking of Leather.

Question is whether the import will be suspended for the KO duel on Friday, im sure MVP wouldnt be happy if any suspension will be meted out.

P.S.

James Yap ;D

Howard the Duck
07-10-2008, 12:05 AM
now this is basketball :P

aircanda
07-10-2008, 08:15 AM
James Yap... bakit ka naman nang karate kick at tumakbo?! nakakatawa ka tuloy tignan.. ;D

Ali Peek.. pwedeng Bouncer/BodyGuard!

The_Big_Cat
07-10-2008, 08:37 AM
I was watching the entire game until only the end of the third quarter when TNT was way ahead by 19 points kaya tinamad na ako tapusin.

Sayang hindi ko nakita. Lumabas ang pagka "KUNG FU" ni James Yap. ;D

CM_Punk
07-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Run, James, Run!!! :D

Okay nga si Ali Peek, who was restraining players from both sides. Good that he was level-headed about the situation.

cub
07-10-2008, 09:51 AM
James Yap is such a sissy player. nakakahiya. former PBA MVP tapos ganyan ang gagawin? tsk tsk tsk.

JONAS HAO
07-10-2008, 11:34 AM
James Yap = DUWAG

No wonder he's known for being under-de-saya kay ate kris. :D

lekiboy
07-10-2008, 12:01 PM
James Yap = DUWAG

No wonder he's known for being under-de-saya kay ate kris.* :D

ang pagtira pailalim o habang nakatalikod ang kalaban ay talagang kaduwagan... bwahahaha- ang dami niyan sa PINAS.....

RockLobster
07-10-2008, 01:41 PM
James Yap did a TNT... Tadyak... Nyek... Takbo! ;D

Schortsanitis
07-10-2008, 02:11 PM
I won't be surprised if Philippine basketball has seen the last of Terrence Leather. That guy has been nothing but trouble from the start. Is he the ex-con?

As for James Yap, I think he will have a hard time living that incident down, and will have to figure in a fight or something soon. Imagine the trash-talk: 'DUWAG, duwag, duwag.' :D 'Nakakaduwag, sabay takbo.'

erichubert
07-10-2008, 03:19 PM
I am not sure if he is an ex-con but I know Lee Benson of Sta. Lucia is an ex-con. Quinito Henson did an article about Benson recently. It is really a pity that Leather can't control his cool, he is the most explosive and versatile import among the current crop of reinforcements. Reminds me of Ronnie Thompkins, good yet short-fused. Imports like that can't really stay long in the league, mapipikon talaga sila sa pisikalan dito.

As for James Yap, I don't know what to say, maybe he will grant an exclusive interview in the Buzz regarding this thing, I am sure his Kuya Boy Abunda will help him out there ;D

tigerman
07-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Wala man lang pumansin sa katapangan ni Enrico as well as Rob Sanz? ;D Did you see them challenging Leather?

As I've said in the other forum, James Yap was lucky he wasn't ejected from the game when in fact he should have been given 2 technicals (one for the karate kick and the other for throwing the ball at Leather). Same goes for Kerby Raymundo who from the replays clearly threw a towel on the direction of Leather.

James Yap should not be given the nickname King James. Mas idol pa niya si Carmelo eh. That kick was Carmeloesque. :D

Now TNT would be in a tough situation against Sta. Lucia as they're expected to play import-less.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

cub
07-10-2008, 07:18 PM
napansin ko si e.vill. he was restrained by peek (who was well built than him). si sanz naman sumugod lang, hindi naman sasapak. e.vill and sanz should've been thrown out for entering the court.

RockLobster
07-10-2008, 07:30 PM
James Yap should not be given the nickname King James. Mas idol pa niya si Carmelo eh. That kick was Carmeloesque.

Mas-Carmeloesque yung takbo. ;D

Schortsanitis
07-10-2008, 07:50 PM
For those who hadn't seen it yet, here you go:* James Yap, the new 100m Sprint King.* :D*

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n1CdiJbhbLY

Hey, maybe he can qualify for the 100m sprints in the Olympics.* Just have Terrence Leather go after him in the competitions.

Raging Blue
07-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Regarding the rumble sequence from he time James Yap was running away from Leather until the Ali Peek tackle on Enrico Villanueva, I thought I was a NFC Central Division game sequence between the Green Bay Packers and the Chicago Bears.

As ringside announcer Michael Buffet would bellow, "Llllllllet's get ready to rummmboollllll!

The_Big_Cat
07-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Ang daming players from both benches that went inside the court.
Dapat automatic suspensions yan! Let's see what Barrios will do.

I think the TNT import should not be suspended because it is the playoffs. But he must be given the "KICK" if he does this again. Second time na yan para sa TNT import.

erichubert
07-11-2008, 10:03 AM
No suspensions given ??? What kind of a decision is that. Barrios is not being consistent, if he can suspend James Yap for a flagrant foul in the middle of a finals series, he must suspend Leather after what happened in the game. Even Yap, Rico, Kerby should be suspended. Barrios' decision making is really suspect.

Ever since matapang talaga si Rico, gustong gusto pa ang mga import, remember Stephen Howard? Buti nandun siya at least may lumaban ng paharap sa Purefoods :D

m_ke2
07-11-2008, 10:59 AM
Never mind that he chased yap, A player throwing a ball into an opponents face (I think any league will give an automatic suspension)

The_Big_Cat
07-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Don't be surprised if Barrios didn't suspend the TNT import.
Mabait sa mga import yan. In fact, he used to scout players in the US to be imports in the PBA during the 80s.

Sana lang nga may consistency si Barrios. The recent All-Filipino Cup Finals, kung si James Yap, he upgraded the call of the referee from flagrant penalty 1 to flagrant penalty 2 for hitting Joseph Yeo and suspended Yap for a game because he saw the tape and he deemed it intentional.

Pero yung pagbato ng TNT import ng bola sa mukha ni Salvador, hindi ba intentional yun?

billyray
07-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Players who left the bench should have been thrown out of the game outright. *Almost all Purefoods players left except I think for Noy Castillo. *Pati TNT meron din umalis ng bench. Hindi nacontrol ng refs yung situation. I think they intentionally provoked Leather to get him thrown out, lamang ang TNT nung 4th Q. *Nakakatawa ang decision ng Commissioner, he should have suspended Leather, Jondan, Rico and James Yap even if TNT has a knockout game vs Sta. Lucia.

erichubert
07-11-2008, 11:19 AM
This is the time you miss Noli Eala, for all his crazy ideas, the guy at least has the balls to make tough decisions. And what is Barrios' explanation for not giving Leather a suspension? Supposedly two technical fouls doesn't merit an automatic suspension in the PBA rule book, while a flagrant 2 foul does. He has to learn that not all things that happen in the court can be guided by the rule book, he has toi use his own discretion and wisdom in making decisions.

cub
07-11-2008, 01:27 PM
No suspension for J.Yap, E.Vill, Sanz, Ferreria and Lao? c'mon. sobrang bulok ng pamamalakad sa pba.

stonecold316
07-11-2008, 01:37 PM
PBA slaps P244K fines on TNT, Pfoods players
07/11/2008 | 11:39 AM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine Basketball Association meted P244,400 worth of fines after an ugly encounter between Talk ’N Text and Purefoods players ensued Wednesday at the Ynares Center in Antipolo City.

Terrence Leather was slapped P62,400, but the PBA did not suspend the fiery Talk ’N Text import for Friday’s game, allowing him to play in the critical knockout match against Sta. Lucia.

Also drawing fines from Talk ’N Text were Kalani Ferreria and Gilbert Lao who were fined P20,000 for leaving the bench.

Former MVP James Yap was fined P50,000 for kicking Leather. Teammates Rico Villanueva (P30,000), Kerby Raymundo (P30,000), Rob Sanz (P28,000) and Jondan Salvador (P1,000) were also penalized.

Only two weeks ago, Leather was thrown out of a Talk ’N Text-Ginebra game and then was nearly involved in a fight with Ginebra players afterward along the hallway leading to the teams' locker rooms.

Leather and the Phone Pals face the Sta. Lucia Realtors at 7 p.m. at the Ynares Center. The winner advances to meet Barangay Ginebra in the best-of-three quarterfinals that begin Sunday. - GMANews.TV

stonecold316
07-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Now we know why Kris Aquino is the head of the house.

;D ;D ;D

stonecold316

mangtsito
07-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Di kaya manggit si Jondan Salvador diyan? P1000 lang yung fine niya. Nagmukha tuloy saling-pusa ;D

xanaphia
07-11-2008, 03:50 PM
ikaw na habulin ni leather, tingnan naten kung ndi ka tumakbo. hehe
if I were yap ndi ko nalang sinipa, sinuntok ko nalang agad chaka lumaban... parang supot kasi ung pagsipa niya.
im sure ndi rin naman siya mabubugbog kasi madami naman aawat dun... panget lang din talaga matawag kang sissy.

Schortsanitis
07-11-2008, 05:12 PM
It looks like James Yap has realized that his running away on TV is a potential public relations nightmare for him, so he has granted interviews to (who else) Boy Abunda, among others, wherein he just tried to laugh it off. Like, "ha-ha, I made a mistake, please laugh with me, folks."

I don't think James is going to get away with this embarassment that easily.

Schortsanitis
07-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Courtesy of "Pradesh" from the Interbasket forums, James Yap in his "running" glory:

http://i35.tinypic.com/icn2hl.gif

Better start thinking of picking a fight and standing your ground this time, James, or else you'll never live down this embarassment.* :D

a_ron
07-11-2008, 10:45 PM
King james becomes Queennie Jamie...

The_Big_Cat
07-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Both Purefoods and Talk N' Text are now eliminated from the playoffs.

mangtsito
07-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Courtesy of "Pradesh" from the Interbasket forums, James Yap in his "running" glory:

x x x x x

Better start thinking of picking a fight and standing your ground this time, James, or else you'll never live down this embarassment.* :D

Nakakahiya talaga.

Kahit papaano mo tingnan duwag talaga eh.

I don't know which one is the bigger UE embarrassment now - James Yap or Janina San Miguel?

Dark Knight
07-12-2008, 06:52 PM
James Yap runs after kicking Leather* * * * * While Leatherface chases menacingly

MonL
07-12-2008, 11:32 PM
James Yap... bakit ka naman nang karate kick at tumakbo?! nakakatawa ka tuloy tignan..* ;D

Kung Fu style: "Cheetah." :D

joelex
07-13-2008, 12:10 AM
Yap: "I can face Leather one on one but not Leather and Ali together."

BS. There wasnt any move by Peek to go after Yap.

Schortsanitis
07-13-2008, 09:25 AM
If anybody has any doubts about James Yap's press connections, then this incident should settle it once and for all:* Beth Celis and Quinito Henson both came up with articles in today's papers about the James Yap incident, both of which just happens to be sympathetic to James.*

Take note that insinuations like Leather was supposedly high, etc., were used to make James less of a coward that he actually is.*

Here are the articles:*

http://www.philstar.com/scripts/article_print.php?PhilStar&id=20080712166&type=2

James On The Line

SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson
Sunday, July 13 2008 (www.philstar.com)

Purefoods star James Yap phoned the other day to explain his side on the bench-clearing incident that marred Talk ‘N’ Text’s 98-83 win over the Tender Juicy Giants in a PBA Fiesta Conference wildcard game at the Ynares Center in Antipolo last Wednesday.

Yap, the 2005-06 MVP, was slapped a technical foul for kicking Phone Pals import Terrence Leather on the thigh from behind and later assessed a P50,000 fine.

The melee erupted with 9:36 left in the game as Leather and Purefoods’ Jondan Salvador got involved in some heavy body banging at the post. Salvador, playing offense, was backing into Leather who tried to hold his ground on the quarter block. Leather was whistled for the contact. Words were exchanged. Leather moved in on Salvador who thrust the ball on his chest to keep the Talk ‘N’ Text import from advancing. Leather grabbed the ball and threw it at Salvador’s face.

In the confusion, Yap came from behind and kicked Leather’s thigh. Leather turned around and with fire in his eyes, ran after Yap. Leather looked like he had snapped. Ali Peek intervened to prevent a wild free-for-all. With an impish grin, Yap sprinted away to avoid an escalation of the skirmish.

Someone said Yap did a Carmelo Anthony who in a game against New York at Madison Square Garden in 2006, threw a sucker punch at the Knicks’ Mardy Collins in the face then ran away when 6-10 Jared Jeffries went after him. The incident happened with 1:15 left in the game and Denver up by 19. Collins had just committed a rough foul on J. R. Smith to prevent a breakaway* layup. Anthony was suspended 15 games for punching Collins.

The comparison to Anthony isn’t fair. First, Anthony struck Collins in the face with a clear intent to hurt and in fact, floored the Knicks’ 6-6 forward. Second, Anthony’s intention was malicious - his mind was no longer on the game since the outcome was already settled.

If Yap wanted to hurt Leather, he would’ve done something more harmful than a kick to the thigh.

Yap related what went on in his mind in charging at Leather.

“It wasn’t right what Leather was doing,” said Yap. “It was like he was high on marijuana or some drug. He wasn’t playing basketball anymore. He was out to hurt. He threw the ball at Jondan and it got him in the face. I wanted to take Leather’s attention away from Jondan so I came from behind to kick him.”

Yap said he would’ve stood his ground and duked it out with Leather, mano-a-mano, but when he saw Peek moving in, he backed off.

“You don’t fool around with Ali,” said Yap. “I can face Leather one-on-one but not Leather and Ali together. Besides, my other purpose was to take Leather out of the game. We still had a chance to win. I knew if he reacted to me, he would go crazy and get himself ejected. I just thought he didn’t deserve to continue playing the way he was acting.”

If Yap was motivated by malice, he wouldn’t have been grinning while avoiding a full-blown flare-up. His eyes would’ve been on fire like Leather’s. He would’ve acted like a criminal not a kid who just did something naughty.

Yap said he was surprised by the amount of his fine.

“Of course, nobody wanted it to happen and I’m sure everyone regrets being involved,” said Yap. “We’ll all learn from it - the players and referees particularly.”

In the Finals last conference, Yap was suspended a game when his flagrant foul on Joseph Yeo was upgraded by Commissioner Sonny Barrios. This time, Leather wasn’t suspended on what appeared to be a more blatant display of unsportsmanlike conduct. But I didn’t want to ask Yap his comment on that. It would’ve just rubbed salt on his wound.

(Text removed)

Copyright 2007. Philstar Global Corp. All rights reserved. This article cannot be published or redistributed without the permission of the publisher.

http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20080712-148103/Yap-cant-always-be-a-hero

In Huddle : Yap Can't Always Be A Hero

By Beth Celis
Philippine Daily Inquirer

Posted date: July 12, 2008

KRIS AQUINO wanted to know if I knew of an incident in the NBA involving cager Carmelo Anthony, which was similar to that which her husband James recently figured in.

To be honest, I couldn't remember any such incident and for a while there I felt kind of embarrassed like a contestant in one of Kris' game shows, who could not answer a simple question which involved a topic one is supposed to be familiar with.

Kris said a TV host had compared Carmelo to James based on that incident.

Kris didn't ask but somehow I felt like she was waiting for me to say something about James' recent encounter with Talk ‘N Text import Terence Leather.

Her silent question was: Was she right to expect her husband to stand up to the hulking import?

After all, that was what the Living Legend Sonny Jaworski--easily the most popular cager the PBA has produced--was well-loved for. His toughness and fearlessness.

I told Kris it was a "Damn if you do and damn if you don't" situation for James.

"What if your husband had done the exact opposite and faced up to the import? For sure he would have gotten a terrible bashing, considering the difference in their physique. James could have lost some of his teeth, broken his nose and some of his bones. The chances are high that he would have landed in the hospital. Do you want that to happen?"

"And then what would people say? E gago naman pala yang si James. Akalain mong labanan yung import. Hindi naman pala niya kaya. E bakit hindi na lang siya tumakbo? Forget about the incident. That's all part of the game. James can't always be the hero."

James said he acted on impulse (when he kicked Leather from behind) after the TNT import had hurled a ball at his teammate Jondan Salvador, hitting him in the face.

Actually, we couldn't even fault Leather for reacting. It was clear that Jondan had been trying to get his goat, finally succeeding after about three attempts. All part of the game.

(Text removed)

©Copyright 2001-2008 INQUIRER.net, An Inquirer Company

Schortsanitis
07-13-2008, 09:33 AM
I heard James Yap is going to make a sequel to a CGI movie:* Its going to be titled, "Kung Fu Cheetah".

;D ;D ;D

coreytaylor
07-13-2008, 12:29 PM
my gulay! saw it for the 1st time! walang kaduda-duda: duwag nga si james! ;)

and yes! ali peek: the one-man-restraining crew! :D

mangtsito
07-13-2008, 09:28 PM
The best retort to those two pro-Yap articles is to simply view the youtube video. You'd clearly see which is spin and which is fact.

JAMES YAP DUWAG!

Actually, ako rin matatakot kung uupakan ako ng import. Pero at least hindi ako mananadyak habang nakatalikod siya.

The_Big_Cat
07-14-2008, 08:48 AM
Buti nga sipa lang ang nakuha ni Leather.

Eh noong early 90's binatukan ni Ricky Relosa (Shell) si Ronnie Thompkins (Swift Mighty Meaties). Same scenario, tumakbo din si Relosa. Ang difference dito sa incident, walang umawat kay Thompkins at ayun "Rumble at the ULTRA".

john_paul_manahan
07-14-2008, 10:16 AM
now this one i remember. ang bilis ni relosa pa nun.... :)

The_Big_Cat
07-15-2008, 10:58 AM
James Yap a shoo-in for nat’l track team?
By Recah Trinidad
First Posted 04:40:00 07/15/2008

MANILA, Philippines—PBA millionaire superstar James Yap should expect a call from Go Teng Kok, president of the national track and field association, anytime soon.

These two sportsmen should also be able to hit it off well.

First things first: The way the refs were working the import-laced PBA series, which has entered an intense, bruising phase, they were more like sleepy rock band members promoting a bar-room brawl.
Buddy Encarnado, Sta. Lucia Realty team manager, was both displeased and alarmed when he insisted the referees should’ve been both quick and consistent.

Things predictably went out of hand.
And look what happened to poor James Yap, described by his lovely wife Kris Aquino as the most popular player in the pro league today.

Yap, carried away by the unrestrained wildness on the floor, ended up exposing the shallow, ugly side of his superstardom.

First, Yap kicked Talk ‘N Text import Terrence Leather from behind.
That was understandable. Yap was only human, as Ms Aquino would explain on television.

Second, and worse, Yap scampered like a frightened frog once the furious Leather turned around to get back at the handsome, high-scoring pride of Negros.
Sorry, Yap said later, adding all he wanted was to save his teammate, Jondan Salvador who had shoved the ball at Leather, from impending harm.

It was also reported that Yap later approached the Talk ‘N Text bench to apologize to some players and to Phone Pals coach Chot Reyes.

Well, it was clear Yap was terribly bothered, if not shattered, by the dirty incident. As a result, Yap, short of hiring a public relations firm, had to do some frantic explaining in both print and broadcast.
Kris, daughter of Ninoy and Cory Aquino, a heroic and well-loved couple, also appeared visibly hurt.
That was quite unfortunate.

In Yap’s case, there obviously was the streak of an enforcer burning inside him.
He could’ve waited for this heroic urge to mature fully.
It was just too bad that the streak exploded at the wrong time and the wrong place.
Yap was completely unprepared for the moment of truth, for the upheaval he had invited.
In bullfighting, this is equivalent to the moment of truth.
Yap pitifully failed the test, the singular rite of manhood.
He has vowed never to do it again.

Yap indeed meant well, but what pitifully got magnified was not the heroic side of his superstardom.
You need not do a poll to agree that the sight of Yap scampering after having kicked someone from the back did not sit well with the masa.

In fact, there were taunts that, in Yap’s case, he could be readily considered for the national track and field team.
This is not to say Yap may no longer be as hot and saleable in the PBA after what happened in that Purefoods game against Talk ‘N Text last week.

But with the sprinting gifts he had accidentally exposed in beating that hasty retreat, Yap may be a shoo-in for Go Teng Kok’s army of sprinters.

JonarSabilano
07-15-2008, 03:32 PM
James Yap... bakit ka naman nang karate kick at tumakbo?! nakakatawa ka tuloy tignan..* ;D

Kung Fu style: "Cheetah." :D

Sayonachi. :D

LION
07-15-2008, 03:38 PM
...nelas ko.

Dark Knight
07-15-2008, 08:29 PM
What a sarcastic article by no less than Recah Trinidad. :D

Schortsanitis
07-18-2008, 09:38 AM
http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20080717-148907/Great-job-Ali-Peek

In Huddle : Great Job, Ali Peek

By Beth Celis

Posted date: July 17, 2008

(Text removed)

Spectators in the last Purefoods-Talk ‘N Text game where the slalom dash occurred agree that Phone Pal Ali Peek deserves a pat on the back for being instrumental in stemming further on-court violence.

When chaos erupted, everybody thought Ali was poised to team up with Terrence in attacking the offender, which was James Yap.

James admitted he thought so too. But instead of going after James, Ali chased Leather and quickly locked him in his arms so he could not move.

Leather tried to break lose, but he couldn’t. Obviously Ali was stronger than he is.

That gave James time to sprint away and avoid the wrath of the fuming import. Peek only let go of Leather when he was sure James was a safe distance away from the import.

Had Ali not acted swiftly, my colleagues said Leather could have very likely caught up with James.

Speaking of Leather, I understand that several quarters were egging Sta. Lucia Realty governor Buddy Encarnado to appeal to the PBA Commissioner’s Office to have the import suspended after the Purefoods-Talk ‘N Text game.

The Realtors were scheduled to meet the Phone Pals the following game day in a knockout match for a quarterfinal slot.

While a suspension would have definitely given the Realtors an advantage, Buddy opted not to make any such move.

“That would make the game lopsided and deprive the public of an interesting match,” he said.

Buddy did not get the opportunity to regret this decision because they won against the Phone Pals.

After the game, Buddy was surprised to get a visit at the dugout from Talk ‘N Text officials headed by Manny V. Pangilinan and Ricky Vargas, who dropped by to congratulate him for making the quarterfinals.

(Text removed)

http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20080718-149151/Peek-wont-seek-it-but-he-deserves-an-apology

Bare Eye : Peek Won’t Seek It, But He Deserves An Apology

By Recah Trinidad

Posted date: July 18, 2008

MANILA, Philippines—PBA superstar James Yap may have scored a national sprints record with that dash for dear life during a PBA game last week.

But before details of that super feat get swept in the current series, what with crowd darling Barangay Ginebra now in the heated semifinals race, Yap should heed this reminder.

It would do the Purefoods’ premier point-maker well to call on Mr. Ali Peek, who happened to be on the scene when Yap kicked Terrence Leather of Talk ‘N Text from behind.

Yap owes Peek an apology.

Yap uncharitably dented Peek’s image in a post-incident interview.

Yap bragged he would’ve stood his ground and taken on the furious Leather frontally—if not for Peek.

Yap said it was the sight of Peek charging into the fray that caused him to turn around and scamper.

“Iba na ‘yun (That’s already a different story),” Yap was quoted as explaining later.

Sorry about that, but it was obvious Yap did not know what stuff Peek is made of.

Well, going by appearances, Yap could not exactly be blamed for that sudden attack of wracked nerves.

Mr. Peek may not wear the meekness of a chaste choir boy.

But the fellow is not as tough and heartless as advertised.

Deep inside Peek, behind that menacing man-mountain mien, beats a concerned, charitable heart.

Maybe not the kindest this side of the national play-for-pay playground, mind you, but not one to irresponsibly start a fight.

What’s easier to believe now is that Yap allowed himself to be terrified by Peek’s deceiving looks.

OK, aesthetic surgeon Vicki Belo may have to call on foreign support to help soften Peek’s competition mask.

But as PBA records would bear it out, Peek has, since being drafted by Pop Cola in 1998, never been involved in a floor fight.

Information provided by Dave Corros of the PBA media office notes that one early fine slapped on Peek cost him P800 for “tripping the Red Bull team mascot.”

There were other infractions, like resenting a call, being involved in verbal altercation, and refusing a post-fight interview on television.

However, there was not a single mention of the former mythical team member being involved in an on-floor fight.

Reports Ms Beth Celis: “Ali Peek, in fact, stemmed further on-court violence. At the height of the scuffle, Ali chased Leather and locked him in his arms. Leather tried to break loose, but couldn’t. Ali was simply stronger… Yap was able to sprint away and Peek only let go of Leather when he was sure James was already a safe distance from the import.”

Thursday, suggestions reached this deadline beater that the burly Mr. Peek should be commended for his peacekeeping efforts.

We’re also at risk of being slurred for belaboring the issue, or trying to flog a dead horse, to say.

It’s a pity, but James Yap, in wrongly suspecting that a gentle giant could start a hardcourt brawl, was also being unfair to himself.

Pray that the poor fellow has not been seeing many ghosts.

tigerman
07-18-2008, 10:38 AM
^ Oh yeah Yap's poor attempt at justifying his act of running away from the crime scene ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!