PDA

View Full Version : UAAP Season 71 Game 2: DLSU Green Archers vs. FEU Tamaraws

bigfreeze_bibby
07-07-2008, 11:16 AM
On Saturday, July 12, the Green Archers will try to bounce back from their tough loss against their arch-rivals, the AdMU Blue Eagles. Their free throws should improve if they want to beat the Tamaraws, who also came from a nail-biting 74-71 opening game win against the upstart Adamson Falcons.

Peejay Barua must step up big time if the Archers want to put their first win this season if we base it from the Archers' performance yesterday. Casio, Maierhofer, and Mangahas played well to provide the necessary offensive push for the Archers even if it wasn't enough to lift them against the Eagles.

It will be tougher for them this time around as they'll face an athletic and tall FEU team, who has good players in every position (as per my own personal take from the pre-season and on their game against Adamson). Let's see how the Archers adapt to this kind of pressure at this moment losing an opening game as the defending champions.

Defensively, the Archers have to adjust to what the referees have been giving so that they would know the aggressive level that they have to put into their defensive strategies so as not to fall again in the trap of giving too many free throws to their opponents. The rooks must continue their good showing and hopefully they will improve kasabay ng peak ng whole team as the season progresses.

Better offensive patterns and shot selections will also help the Archers' cause on this game so as not to provide additional advantage to the FEU bigs in defensive rebounding. Boxing-out will be another key as well so as to negate the FEU bigs' athleticism on the boards. The Archers may be able to put pressure on Barroca, Knuttel, and Alisbo but they also have to focus on the vastly improved Reil Cervantes and 2007 ROY JR Cawaling.

nel
07-07-2008, 11:54 AM
Memo to the team: Everyone should bring IDs to avoid having to overcome a 0-2 deficit even before the jumpball to start the game.

Dark Knight
07-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Nice game La Salle.

glock23
07-12-2008, 07:25 PM
wasnt nice to watch but we'll take the W. Barua showed up today and that made the difference on offense.

Still a lot of missed free-throws and missed easy baskets by walsham.

cub
07-12-2008, 09:23 PM
nice game from Jvee Casio. drilling those threes, stealing the ball and grabbing those rebounds(he had 8 :o).
despite missing 7 of 11 free throws, Rico still managed to have a good game scoring 11points, 17 boards and 3 blocks.

batangueño
07-13-2008, 01:43 AM
De La Salle Green Archers def. FEU Tamaraws, 73-62.

An evenly matched game between the Archers and the Tamaraws where either team could have won it. However, it was the team with the luckiest of breaks, DLSU (through FEU's turnovers and fouls), which won the game.

DLSU:

* Great performance by PJ Barua, JV Casio and Rico Maierhofer. Barua's jumpers, most especially those three point shots, sank in while Casio's leadership and shooting abilities carried the team despite him still reeling from his recent injury and the seemingly strong stand being shown by the vastly improved FEU squad. On the other hand, Rico did a good job in getting those rebounds and operating underneath the basket but he was quite out of sync and he still tried sinking in jumpers many times, although one of his jump shots, a three-pointer, luckily sank in.

* What else could I say about Bader Malabes' "lucky shot"? It was great! :D

* I hope that the Archers would improve on their free throw shooting (free throw shooting during the game was still quite bad) and minimize on their turnovers.

FEU:

* Everyone on the FEU line-up improved significantly from last year. Outstanding Tamaraws on this particular game for me were JR Cawaling, Benedict Fernandez, Mac Baracael, Andi Barroca and Jens Knuttel.

* Robert Kave, the foreign player from Papua New Guinea, was not a factor in the game. He even got into foul trouble in the latter part of the game.

* Turnovers and fouls killed the Tamaraws.

atenean_blooded
07-13-2008, 02:18 AM
This was a good game by the Archers, who showed their form and toughness down the stretch. I think FEU's fouls and turnovers were caused by a sense of desperation and frustration because they couldn't execute properly against La Salle's tough defense. And that's what did them in in the endgame: all those fouls and turnovers which kept giving the Archers breathing space. Of course, there was some hot shooting by Casio and company (and I think FEU will remember that shot from Malabes for quite a while).

By the way, what was that last unsportsmanlike foul called late in the game? I think that pretty much did the Tamaraws in. Boom Gonzales was at a loss to explain it properly (as usual).

batangueño
07-13-2008, 02:31 AM
Kabayang atenean_blooded, given the noise inside the ULTRA yesterday, the announcement of the name of the person charged with that unsportsmanlike foul late into the game was quite inaudible. I only heard Rolly Manlapaz say the name of Glenn Capacio as the person charged and that was it, although there were some who said that it was charged on Andi Barroca and not on Glenn Capacio. ???

stonecold316
07-13-2008, 02:43 AM
Galing talaga ng DLSU. After an opening day loss, bumawi kagad at tinalo ang FEU.
UST vs DLSU on Saturday.
May the best team win.

stonecold316

batangueño
07-13-2008, 02:49 AM
Galing talaga ng DLSU. After an opening day loss, bumawi kagad at tinalo ang FEU.
UST vs DLSU on Saturday.
May the best team win.

stonecold316

Correction lang, Kabayan. The DLSU vs UST game, along with the UP vs FEU game, would be on Thursday, July 17, 2008. :)

atenean_blooded
07-13-2008, 03:51 AM
Kabayang atenean_blooded, given the noise inside the ULTRA yesterday, the announcement of the name of the person charged with that unsportsmanlike foul late into the game was quite inaudible. I only heard Rolly Manlapaz say the name of Glenn Capacio as the person charged and that was it, although there were some who said that it was charged on Andi Barroca and not on Glenn Capacio. ???

Ah. I tried catching the sequence in the replay, but it was still pretty incomprehensible. I wonder what either of them were called for.

Dark Knight
07-13-2008, 08:10 AM
Unsportsmanlike foul on Capacio? was he playing?

Referees are calling a lot of panty like fouls for the first 6 games.

dose
07-13-2008, 09:17 AM
The unsportmanlike foul was called on Andy Barroca, for holding on to Atkin's shirt. Then there was also a technical foul on Capacio. I'm not sure for what reason, though.

batangueño
07-13-2008, 10:22 AM
The unsportmanlike foul was called on Andy Barroca, for holding on to Atkin's shirt. Then there was also a technical foul on Capacio. I'm not sure for what reason, though.

That's what you get when you mix the noise inside the ULTRA with the confusing and utterly irritating panty fouls being called for by the NABRO boys. ;D

glock23
07-13-2008, 11:29 AM
it happened right in front of the commish, maybe he can be asked to explain. :D

atenean_blooded
07-13-2008, 01:39 PM
it happened right in front of the commish, maybe he can be asked to explain.* :D

Baka walang ID na naman ;D

mltan
07-13-2008, 06:28 PM
the one on barroca and the one on glen capacio was 2 different events ata.

the one on barroca was an unsportsmanlike foul for grabbing a jersey of an archer. fiba rules daw.

the one on coach glen was a T for excessive complaining daw.

gider
07-16-2008, 08:17 PM
Hi! hope you guys dont mind me here, just want to share the pics of your team
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/UAAP%2071st/IMG_1675.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/UAAP%2071st/IMG_1753.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/UAAP%2071st/IMG_1737.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/UAAP%2071st/IMG_1733.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/UAAP%2071st/IMG_1713.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/UAAP%2071st/IMG_1735.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/UAAP%2071st/IMG_1622.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/UAAP%2071st/IMG_1624.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/UAAP%2071st/IMG_1644.jpg

Istorbo
07-16-2008, 10:15 PM
The referee for this game is reportedly going to be suspended indefinitely for allegations of game fixing.It will be on the papers tomorrow.

stonecold316
07-17-2008, 01:16 AM
The referee for this game is reportedly going to be suspended indefinitely for allegations of game fixing.It will be on the papers tomorrow.

barely one week pa lang ang season, sobrang madrama na ang UAAP.

GHRanger
07-17-2008, 10:06 AM
@ gider - Nice Pics and much appreciated. I hope you don't mind me taking some of the pics for my personal collection.

glock23
07-17-2008, 01:51 PM

I will only respect Narvasa if he suspends other refs calling the other games too. So far it's been 2 refs in 2 dlsu games which were suspended...Coincidence? If he really wants to investigate "game fixing" he has my support only if he is non-partisan. It's about time we put a stop to this ever growing problem, but dont focus on one school cheato!