PDA

View Full Version : Arellano Wants To Join NCAA

Dark Knight
07-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Arellano knocks on NCAA door

www.mb.com.ph

Arellano University has signified its "serious intent" to join the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), the country’s oldest collegiate league.

In a two-page letter to NCAA President Dr. Reynaldo Vea of this year’s host Mapua Institute of Technology, Arellano chairman and chief executive officer Francisco Cayco cited the school’s annual enrolment base of 40,000 students among its six campuses all over Metro Manila.

He likewise underscored Arellano’s active participation in both national and international athletic competitions such as the Palarong Pambansa with its students even representing the country in the Southeast Asian Games in badminton, platform diving, wrestling, taekwondo, table tennis, volleyball, track and field, swimming and basketball.

Cayco pointed out that basketball forms the backbone of the school’s athletic program which won Arellano championships in the Philippine Amateur Basketball League (PABL), now the Philippine Basketball League (PBL), and the National Intercollegiate Championships.

The Arellano executive underscored that the school’s successful basketball program continues to this day.

Only two months ago, Arellano won the men’s basketball title in the highly-competitive Fr. Martin’s Cup Division 1, defending the Chiefs’ title in 2007. Its juniors team likewise bagged the Fr. Martin’s Cup Division 2 title last year.

Both the Chiefs and Braves bagged the National Capital Region Athletic Association (NCRAA) seniors and juniors titles, respectively, in November 2006, barely two years after the school revived its basketball program.

"We believe our strong athletics programs from our grade school, high school and collegiate levels will complement and enhance the quality of competition in the NCAA," Cayco wrote Vea.

Cayco also noted that Arellano has "the student and alumni population whose love for sports will greatly contribute to the NCAA."

So far, the NCAA, now on its 84th year, has eight member schools, namely, Mapua, Colegio de San Juan de Letran, Jose Rizal University, College of St. Benilde, Perpetual Help University, Philippine Christian University, San Beda College, San Sebastian College.

League insiders say that there are at least six other schools interested in joining or re-joining the NCAA. These are former member-school Trinity College, Emilio Aguinaldo College, Lyceum of the Philippines, Manuel L. Quezon University, Las Pinas Colleges and Don Bosco-Makati.

I thought Arellano also has pending application at the UAAP. But it seems the UAAP will stay with its 8 school members for a hundred years. ;D

ESCALERA JR.
07-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Mas nababagay yata ang Arellano sa UAAP. They are very competeitve not only in Basketball but in other sports as well, both in the Men' and Women' division which the NCAA does not have at the moment.

Mas ok siguro alin man sa Trinity College, EAC or Lyceum ang maging 9th or 10th member of the NCAA.

At the same breath, the UAAP should likewise consider taking in one or 2 new members like CEU and Arellano U who has been knocking on itd doors for quite some time.

Eto ay sa aking opinyon lang naman. :)

MonL
07-06-2008, 10:02 AM
They used to be called the "Flaming Arrows," and their team colors were yellow and brown.

I recall seeing* Cayco studying in San Beda, and at one time he was team manager for the Red Lions.

Later on, when SBC pulled out from the NCAA, some of the Red Lions, including Joey Loyzaga, became Flaming Arrows for a time. Most notable aside from Loyzaga was 6'3" guard Jojo Guzman and, up from San Beda's Training Team, 6'3" future pro Ricky Cui, both 1984 RP Youth players, IIRC. Even DLSU and 1982 RP Youth enforcer Leoncio "Jun" Tan played for them.

They even participated in the PABL, the forerunner of today's PBL.

mighty_lion
07-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Ang bagal ng Mancom magdesisyon. Gusto pa yatang gatasan ng husto ang Arellano. I-approve na kasi yan.

nicksy
07-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Ang bagal ng Mancom magdesisyon. Gusto pa yatang gatasan ng husto ang Arellano. I-approve na kasi yan.

Gatasan?? you mean 4million Plus. o yun tipong kakampi kela Atayde at Supan sa mga plano nila. ;D ;D

mighty_lion
07-06-2008, 11:02 AM
I dont understand why it is taking too long for Mancom to approve or disapprove matters like this one. Ang tagal na nito. Jake Pascual's affidavit was submitted to them August last year and last month lang sila naglabas ng desisyon na ang basehan ay dalawang sentence dun sa statement din ni Jake. Whats up with this case? I do think Arellano is qualified if not baka overqualified pa nga. Ito ang problema sa Mancom sobrang bagal gumawa ng aksyon at magdesisyon.

Bruticus
07-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Hmm, if ever this pushes through, Leo Isaac will have to let go of one coaching job.

The_Big_Cat
07-06-2008, 11:23 AM
Kung hindi pinapansin ng kabilang liga yung application nila for the last few years, it is better they enter in the NCAA.
Approve ako dyan!

Pwede siguro mag coach si Boybits dito? Dumaan din yata siya dyan.

D_I_A
07-06-2008, 12:25 PM
Expansion is the best, but make it more realistic..4m? grabe naman, pero kung kaya naman ng mga school applicants then why not, basta wag lang bawiin sa tuition, miscellaneous and other exorbitant fees sa mga students ng mga school applicants.

siguro kahit ang NCAA mag 12 team roster manageable naman eh. then ang UAAP kahit mga 10 teams.

Get_Blazed
07-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Like I had always said. EAC, Arellano, and maybe even SFAC, are all qualified to play in the league. Reports are though(I have read this a few days ago in the Daily Tribune), that EAC is leaps and bounds ahead in that footrace. They agreed to pay the 4M entrance fee play other fees to come sharing on venue renting, ticket sales, broadcasting and the like.

I would like all three of these entering the NC next year. Maybe even Lyceum and CEU?

Howard the Duck
07-06-2008, 03:29 PM
NCAA should readmit PCU and admit arellano and either among TUA (actually readmit na rin ito), SFACS or lyceum

tapos ang playoffs parang NFL playoffs na may wildcard ;D

D_I_A
07-06-2008, 09:50 PM
NCAA should readmit PCU and admit arellano and either among TUA (actually readmit na rin ito), SFACS or lyceum

tapos ang playoffs parang NFL playoffs na may wildcard ;D

whoa am i dreaming an NCAA with a 12-14 team roster here? hehe!Sana! :D

PCU - being readmitted
TUA - same as PCU being readitted

then you have Lyceum, CEU, SFAC, EAC, Arellano, MLQU then include a competitive State U or College from the SCUAA parang UP ng UAAP..well i'm just dreaming.hehe ;D

danny
07-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Idagdag lahat yan! Sports ito. Wala dapat discrimination. Pinas nga kasama sa Olympics.

Pero baka matutong mag-Indian Yell ang Arellano Chiefs. Di bale , they will be from a different nation. Turuan naming mag Powwow. Awowowowowowowo! ;D

D_I_A
07-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Idagdag lahat yan! Sports ito. Wala dapat discrimination. Pinas nga kasama sa Olympics.

Pero baka matutong mag-Indian Yell ang Arellano Chiefs. Di bale , they will be from a different nation.* Turuan naming mag Powwow.* Awowowowowowowo! ;D

hehe

pag nag akyatan ang mga teams na ito sa NCAA, baka magwala ang si tisha abundo ng UCAA/NCRAA at ang CUSA dahil nagkaroon ng exodus ng member-teams nila to NCAA. alam naman natin na aligned ito sa BAP ni pichay kaya mas maganda na masolido para sa SBP.

hehe.

the bigger the better.

The_Big_Cat
07-07-2008, 10:05 AM
It has been said this past summer that the NCAA is contemplating a "9-team tournament" for next season.
Don't be surprised if the NCAA admits two schools after Season 84.

Get_Blazed
07-07-2008, 11:06 AM
It has been said this past summer that the NCAA is contemplating a "9-team tournament" for next season.

Why not? Then lets hope PCU gets readmitted soon.

D_I_A
07-07-2008, 02:31 PM

Why not? Then lets hope PCU gets readmitted soon.

yeah, sayang din naman, active pa naman sila sa NCAA South

tigerman
07-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Pero baka matutong mag-Indian Yell ang Arellano Chiefs. Di bale , they will be from a different nation.* Turuan naming mag Powwow.* Awowowowowowowo! ;D

I think the reason why Arellano's monicker is Chiefs is because the school was named after Cayetano Arellano, the first Filipino Chief Justice of our Supreme Court.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

danny
07-07-2008, 11:38 PM

I think the reason why Arellano's monicker is Chiefs is because the school was named after Cayetano Arellano, the first Filipino Chief Justice of our Supreme Court.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Uy,* thank you tigerman kung ganun.* ;D

Obvious na hindi ko alam, nyek. Chief Justice pala. Bang the gavel!

But they are also using Native American iconography. ;D

http://www.arellano.edu.ph/backoffice/filerep/_uploads/f_20070615-021319_Fr_2.jpg

Howard the Duck
07-07-2008, 11:52 PM
parang ang weird kung 9 teams parang mahirap mag-schedule

danny
07-07-2008, 11:55 PM
^^
Gawing 10 o 12. The more the merrier. :)

Howard the Duck
07-08-2008, 12:22 AM
yun lang nga hahaba ang season

unless they introduce divisions. then the playoffs would've a reason to be played. kahit sweep dapat wala nang automatic championship or special perks

D_I_A
07-08-2008, 10:24 AM
yun lang nga hahaba ang season

unless they introduce divisions. then the playoffs would've a reason to be played. kahit sweep dapat wala nang automatic championship or special perks

12-16 teams ok din, then divided sa 2 divisions. kaso pano kaya ang tv coverage ng ABS-CBN dun..

The_Big_Cat
07-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Kaya pala ayaw sila papasukin sa UAAP eh dahil magka mukha sila ng iconography ng UE. ;D

LION
07-08-2008, 11:26 AM

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Uy,* thank you tigerman kung ganun.* ;D

Obvious na hindi ko alam, nyek. Chief Justice pala. Bang the gavel!

But they are also using Native American iconography. ;D

http://www.arellano.edu.ph/backoffice/filerep/_uploads/f_20070615-021319_Fr_2.jpg

Arellano's team should have retained their Flaming Arrows name. Mas may dating.

bchoter
07-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Kaya pala ayaw sila papasukin sa UAAP eh dahil magka mukha sila ng iconography ng UE.* ;D
May Arellano na rin sa UE

The_Big_Cat
07-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Kaya pala ayaw sila papasukin sa UAAP eh dahil magka mukha sila ng iconography ng UE.* ;D
May Arellano na rin sa UE

Ha ha ha! :D

LION
07-08-2008, 01:18 PM
^pero one year na lang. ;D

Manunusok
07-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Mas nababagay yata ang Arellano sa UAAP. They are very competeitve not only in Basketball but in other sports as well, both in the Men' and Women' division which the NCAA does not have at the moment.

Mas ok siguro alin man sa Trinity College, EAC or Lyceum ang maging 9th or 10th member of the NCAA.

At the same breath, the UAAP should likewise consider taking in one or 2 new members like CEU and Arellano U who has been knocking on itd doors for quite some time.

Eto ay sa aking opinyon lang naman. :)

sus nmn..cgro taga CEU ka O Arellano U..uaap daw oh dun bagay..sus...para sakin..wag n mag dadag..ok n un ncaa at uaap..sus...ppanget ncaa nyan..hay naku..

D_I_A
07-09-2008, 01:57 AM

Eto ay sa aking opinyon lang naman. :)*

sus nmn..cgro taga CEU ka O Arellano U..uaap daw oh dun bagay..sus...para sakin..wag n mag dadag..ok n un ncaa at uaap..sus...ppanget ncaa nyan..hay naku..

how come?

danny
07-09-2008, 03:47 AM

Naku hindi! UE katutubong "Warrior" ang icon. Mukhang si Lapu Lapu.

danny
07-09-2008, 03:50 AM

Welcome to gameface newbie. Escalera is a full bloodied Letranite from the old Letran. A proud Dugong Arriba. How about you?

ESCALERA JR.
07-09-2008, 07:28 PM

Mr. Manunusok, hindi ako taga CEU...at hindi rin Arellano. Read my last line..."eto ay sa aking opinyon lang naman"

And one more thing, BAWAL TEXT LINGGO dito.

Welcome to gameface, mantutusok...este manunusok ;Dr

ESCALERA JR.
07-09-2008, 07:48 PM

Welcome to gameface newbie. Escalera is a full bloodied Letranite from the* old Letran.* A proud Dugong Arriba. How about you?

Thanks Bedan Danny for the introduction...baka sanay lang sa PEX yan ;D. Lets give him some time to adjust here.

On Topic....
Arellano U. is ripe for the bigtime league, either UAAP or NCAA...hindi naman mag-aaply kung hindi competetive ang Seniors, Juniors and Womens team nila.

Pero kung ang tawag sa kanila ay Chiefs, ano tawag sa Junior team nila ???
Deputies ::) ...joke only ;D

Howard the Duck
07-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Pero kung ang tawag sa kanila ay Chiefs, ano tawag sa Junior team nila ???
Deputies ::) ...joke only ;D

braves daw

Get_Blazed
07-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Nako may newbie na mayabang. Tiga-PEX siguro. Hahaha kilalanin mo binabangga mo mga big time sila dito! ;D ;D ;D

-insane-
07-10-2008, 08:10 PM
gud lak sa nxt game knights

-insane-
07-10-2008, 08:16 PM
inform ko lng poh kau buhay na ulit ung forum sa ncaa.org.ph thanx

ESCALERA JR.
07-10-2008, 08:18 PM
INSANE >:( *You have been warned before ...

NO TEXT SPEAK >:(

-insane-
07-10-2008, 08:34 PM
sorry sorry poh

Dark Knight
07-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Its po. not poh.

nastrans
07-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Akala ata si Fernando Poh :D

ESCALERA JR.
07-11-2008, 11:27 AM
sorry sorry poh

Thats ok...try to be more articulate, share your thoughts, pwede naman tagalog dito eh, wag lang text.

Ayos :)

Howard the Duck
07-11-2008, 12:34 PM
hayaan nyo na ang poh, cute naman eh

D_I_A
07-12-2008, 02:00 PM

haha! anyways, just want to ask kung talaga bang reasonable ang entry fee or franchise rate para makapasok sa NCAA?

ESCALERA JR.
07-12-2008, 03:03 PM

ESCALERA JR.
07-12-2008, 03:04 PM

haha! anyways, just want to ask kung talaga bang reasonable ang entry fee or franchise rate para makapasok sa NCAA?

ESCALERA JR.
07-12-2008, 03:08 PM

4M!!! :o

Kung provincial school ang balak sumali, mabubulunan sa presyo ;D

kung UA&P, International School, Brent or Suthridge, Sisiw lang yan.

The_Big_Cat
07-12-2008, 03:20 PM
^Baka tumaas pa yan kapag pumalo ng $150/barrel ang crude oil sa world market. ;D

miguelthegreat
07-25-2008, 09:48 PM
I'd rather see University of Asia and the Pacific in the NCAA. ;)

D_I_A
07-25-2008, 11:29 PM
I'd rather see University of Asia and the Pacific in the NCAA.* ;)

do they have a competent basketball line up?

amdgc82
07-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Q&A with FRANCISCO PAULINO CAYCO
By Willie B. Caballes
www.mb.com.ph

With the collegiate sports competitions heating up, Arellano University is going all out in its sports programs. With this in mind, the university officials made formal their intention of going into wider participation by seeking membership in the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

The Manila Bulletin sought, and was granted a one-on-one with Arellano University president Francisco Paulino V. Cayco.

MANILA BULLETIN: Why are you seeking membership in the National Collegiate Athletic Association?

ARELLANO UNIVERSITY: When we started to reap championship honors in various athletic competitions in both the foreign and national levels after embarking on a comprehensive athletics program five years ago, we felt it was time for us to manifest our readiness to join the bigger leagues such as the NCAA. We produced athletes who won championship honors or competed in the big leagues like the Palarong Pambansa and the Southeast Asian Games in badminton, platform diving, judo, wrestling, volleyball, basketball, taekwondo, table tennis and the martial arts, among others. In 2004 we were 2nd runner-up in basketball in the MBBL Kiko Pangilinan Cup. Two years after we were first runner-up in the 13th season of the NCRAA in both men’s and boy’s basketball. In the same year we became the 14th season NCRAA champions in both men’s and boy’s basketball. In 2007, we became the Summer League men’s basketball champion of the Father Martin’s Cup Division 1 and the boy’s basketball champion of the Father Martin’s Cup Division 2. This year we became the 15th season NCRAA  champion in both men’s and boy’s division and also the Father Martin Cup Division 1. Thus, we feel we are now ready to join the bigger leagues.

MB: What do you think could Arellano contribute to strengthen the NCAA?"

AU: Our biggest contribution will be our annual enrolment base of 40 thousand students together with an active alumni base in the thousands. Moreover, most members of our Board of Trustees and management were in their younger years athletically inclined if not gifted. Thus, there is very strong inclination, interest and motivation from top management to support athletics and related programs. We also believe we have in place an athletics program that is competitive with the quality and caliber of the NCAA.

MB: What recent successes in the field of sports could you cite which you feel qualifies Arellano University to join the NCAA?

AU: In addition to what has been mentioned previously, we have students who recently participated in the women’s platform diving in China, champion of the High School Boys Division in the 2005 JVC Badminton Tournament, NCRAA badminton champions in 2005, Palarong Pambansa Girls’ Badminton champion in 2006, local tournament champions in taekwondo, karate and table tennis as well as national pool athletes in wrestling.

In men’s basketball, we also were National Intercollegiate Champions in 1983, Philippine Amateur Basketball League (PABL) First Founders Cup champions in 1983, National Student Basketball Metro Manila Champion in 1984, PABL Ambassador Cup Sportsmanship awardee in 1984, Philippine Amateur Sportsmanship Award in 1985,Second placer in the National Student’s Championship Collegiate Division in 1984, third runner-up in the PABL Challenge to Champion in 1985.

MB: Could you give us a background of Arellano University?

AU: We were founded as a law school 70 years ago in 1938 as the Arellano Law College. That is why the school was named Arellano because as a law college it was named after Cayetano Arellano, the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. In 1945, it was one of the first schools to open right after the Second World War where it became Arellano Colleges. In 1947, Arellano Colleges was granted a university status and became Arellano University. Thus, just like the established schools which are currently in the NCAA and UAAP, we have a long history and background to speak of. In those days Arellano university was very active and competitive in sports such as baseball, track and field and basketball. The order of the day then was competing and playing in tournaments in different towns and provinces especially during fiestas. In 1950 Arellano University was PUAA champion in basketball. It also competed in basketball tournaments in Malaysia and Singapore . The University management decided to quit competitive sports in the late fifties when games became unwieldy and unmanageable.

MB: The NCAA has stringent rules on school participation in all of its sports events as well as sports facilities. How will Arellano University address these concerns of the NCAA board?

AU: I am very confident we have the resources and the determination to comply and meet these requirements. In terms of athletic facilities, gyms have been built according to acceptable international standards. Complementing our in-house facilities are tie-ups with off-campus facilities such as the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex for other sports.

MB: There are other aspirants for membership in the NCAA. Without naming these schools, what sets Arellano University apart from them?

AU: Our annual student population base of 40,000 is a significant factor that sets us apart from the other schools. Our achievements as a consequence of our sports programs in both local and international levels and a sports-loving top management who has the will to support, push and bring the school to a higher competitive level in sports. Our varsity basketball team has been ranked in the Power Ratings as among the top 13 teams in the country. We are the only non-member of either the NCAA and UAAP team in the top 13.

MB: Any more words to the NCAA Board to show just how serious you are in your intent to join the league?

AU: We strongly feel we can add some values to the NCAA by reason of our student and alumni population as well as our track record which speaks for itself. We feel we are adequately prepared to join and meet the standards of the NCAA in competitive sports as well as comply with their requirements. We have always been in good standing in all the leagues we have joined as well as adhered to the dictates of good sportsmanship.

miguelthegreat
07-27-2008, 12:01 PM
I'd rather see University of Asia and the Pacific in the NCAA.* ;)

Honestly, I dont know. But I believe they can pull off a good line up. I think adding UA&P in the league could start a good rivalry(for publicity's sake,like the dlsu-admu rivalry in the UAAP) against CSB-UA&P or UA&P-SBC. :) If AU will join the league,Lyceum should also join. ;)

Get_Blazed
07-27-2008, 01:36 PM
I'd rather see University of Asia and the Pacific in the NCAA. ;)

Honestly, I dont know. But I believe they can pull off a good line up. I think adding UA&P in the league could start a good rivalry(for publicity's sake,like the dlsu-admu rivalry in the UAAP) against CSB-UA&P or UA&P-SBC. :) If AU will join the league,Lyceum should also join. ;)

UA&P couldnt possibly put up a good line-up this soon even if their lives depended on it. Mabango lang pakinggan kung papasok ang UA&P for the sake of CSB pero Arellano has a better sports program and mas deserving talaga sila.

souljah_boy
07-27-2008, 02:29 PM
True true but is there really a grain of truth as regards the other schools wanting to barge the NCAA gates (Trinity College, Lyceum, CEU, etc.)?

Get_Blazed
07-27-2008, 03:21 PM
True true but is there really a grain of truth as regards the other schools wanting to barge the NCAA gates (Trinity College, Lyceum, CEU, etc.)?

Yes, actually EAC is reportedly the most favored by the NCAA to be their future member. With PCU's impending departure, and with the NCAA shoing signs that they would want a 9-team roster for next year, EAC and Arellano just might be the 2 schools entering this coming Season 85.

D_I_A
08-13-2008, 10:20 PM

Yes, actually EAC is reportedly the most favored by the NCAA to be their future member. With PCU's impending departure, and with the NCAA shoing signs that they would want a 9-team roster for next year, EAC and Arellano just might be the 2 schools entering this coming Season 85.

then mag comeback ang PCU sa 2010 season para 10-team league ang kalalabasan.

brownjapanese
08-17-2008, 08:58 PM
I'll like Arellano Univ., Lyceum, UA&P and CEU to join the NCAA... And hopefully PCU to re-join... 12 TEAMS! :o

D_I_A
08-18-2008, 12:32 AM
I'll like Arellano Univ., Lyceum, UA&P and CEU to join the NCAA... And hopefully PCU to re-join... 12 TEAMS!* :o

ideal yan 10-12 teams..maganda rin kung meron kahit isang NCR based na State Univ na makakapasok sa NCAA just like UAAP na meron UP - RTU and PUP have basketball teams that usually participate in NCRAA, but i just don't know if it could match those in NCAA that's why they have the SCUAA-NCR (PNU,EARIST,PHILSCA,PMMA, and TUP are other known members)

Jomar09
08-18-2008, 11:01 AM
I don't really now the quality of basketball outside the major leagues, so fellow forumers, if you don't mind...what do you think are the chances , in terms of competitiveness, of those schools??? ??? ??? ???

tnx in advance...

D_I_A
08-18-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't really now the quality of basketball outside the major leagues, so fellow forumers, if you don't mind...what do you think are the chances , in terms of competitiveness, of those schools??? ??? ??? ???

tnx in advance...

imho, if i'll rank the leagues in NCR in terms of quality of games, teams, media exposure and basketball program in general here's my pick:

1. UAAP
2. NCAA
3. NAASCU
4. NCRAA/UCAA
5. CUSA
6. SCUAA-NCR

outside of NCR

CESAFI of CEBU
NOCSEA of Negros

Get_Blazed
08-18-2008, 01:55 PM

tnx in advance...

imho, if i'll rank the leagues in NCR in terms of quality of games, teams, media exposure and basketball program in general here's my pick:

1. UAAP
2. NCAA
3. NAASCU
4. NCRAA/UCAA
5. CUSA
6. SCUAA-NCR

outside of NCR

CESAFI of CEBU
NOCSEA of Negros

UAAP - more exciting to watch and more hype. Very poor officiating and administrating.
NCAA - pure quality basketball. There are really ugly low scoring games. No/insufficient media hype. Internal chaos.
NCRAA - quality sport programs from schools, loose in player eligibilities.
NAASCU - poor quality of sport programs in general, besides being loose in terms of player eligibilities.

IMHO only.

danny
08-19-2008, 03:18 AM
The NCAA should drop all pretensions and encourage a more mass based basketball collegiate league.

1. Lower the entrance fee to P 100,000 instead of the prohibitive millions.
2. Expand the league to* 20 or more teams with 2* or 4 geographical divisions.
3. Technical schools like Samson Institute, EARIST, TIP should alos be encouraged to join. Philippine College of Criminology can also join.
4. Just plain Home and Away format to be cheaper. (No Gym? No problem. Use San Beda's Gym.)
5. No hype please.* No glitz and glamour. Just plain vanilla sports.
6. Sponsorship from small enterprises even with just token amounts should be encouraged. The NCAA should promote a kind of ethic that will promote and cater to the small Filipino entrep.

I say, keep it simple and reach out to more schools.* Merge with* NAASCU, NCRAA/UCAA, CUSA, SCUAA-NCR.

If some schools would not want that to happen, let them go.* Kick them out. They are not needed in a mass-based, no-glitz and no-glamour, plain vanilla league. ;) ;D

NCAA - pure quality basketball. There are really ugly low scoring games. No/insufficient media hype. Internal chaos.

IMHO only.

How would the inclusion of the mentioned school increase the NCAA's glitz and glamour.* The media propaganda can only do so much.*

I want to focus on this obsession with "hype"...

To put it bluntly, will the entry of Arellano, EAC or Samson produce the long awaited NCAA hype? :)

danny
08-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Since "hype"* has been the number one obsession among fanboys* and fangirls (and NCAA detractors ), why not talk about the hype that these schools will bring to the NCAA.

Arellano has a student population of 40,000.Huge market compared to San Beda or Letran's approx 5,000-6,000 each.* Will that create hype?

EAC? What kind of hype will they bring?

How about TIP or TUP?

If NONE, drop the hype angle and just*join and play competitive basketball among the best squads in the land. Letran, JRU, San Beda, Mapua and San Sebastian are all highly ranked in the PCCL even without the so-called media hype.*Wait!* Media made this ranking. Freaking hypists...we do not need the attention.* ;D

Quality of games? Hard to evaluate that which you cannot measure. Make quality quantitative. Great! The PCCL ranking just did that. We've got quality games in the NCAA based on ordinal ranking. What's the other way of measuring quality basketball?

Get_Blazed
08-19-2008, 05:59 PM
No hype, no business. And if that happens, saan tayo pupulutin? ABS-CBN might decide to drop the NCAA coverage and kawawa tayo lahat. They need more viewers and more investors(sponsors, tv advertisements) to survive and keep the NCAA on air. We all want to have a better league for the future of our local basketball scen, but you have to look and consider the business side of it all.

The_Big_Cat
08-19-2008, 06:05 PM
^The NCAA's contract with ABS-CBN would expire earlier than the UAAP. Kung hindi man kunin uli ng ABS-CBN, nandyan lang ang SolarSports. Nasa Solar na ang NBA, PBL, at PBA

Get_Blazed
08-19-2008, 06:13 PM
^The NCAA's contract with ABS-CBN would expire earlier than the UAAP. Kung hindi man kunin uli ng ABS-CBN, nandyan lang ang SolarSports. Nasa Solar na ang NBA, PBL, at PBA

Hindi lahat ng cable may BTV sir eh. :-\

The_Big_Cat
08-19-2008, 06:19 PM

Hindi lahat ng cable may BTV sir eh. :-\

RPN 9 is a partner of SolarSports. Kung lumipat man ang NCAA sa Solar, malamang sa RPN-9 ipalabas. The PBA will be shown this coming September on RPN-9.* ;)

Adding Arellano to the NCAA would make the league more exciiting.

danny
08-20-2008, 12:21 AM
No hype, no business. And if that happens, saan tayo pupulutin? ABS-CBN might decide to drop the NCAA coverage and kawawa tayo lahat. They need more viewers and more investors(sponsors, tv advertisements) to survive and keep the NCAA on air. We all want to have a better league for the future of our local basketball scen, but you have to look and consider the business side of it all.

Then kick-out the schools that are not "hypable". Bring in schools that are "hypable". The schools mentioned, are they "hypable"?

Hindi niyo ba na gets?* One big reason ABS-CBN is sticking with the NCAA is San Beda's faithful Red Army. Ask ABS. Letran has also been consistent sending the Dugong Arriba.

How about the rest?

Then we will bring in schools that has never captured the imagination of the general public? Hype is for mass consumption. You need a core "hypable rivalry"* with humongous student populations and the rest will simply* piggyback.

Hardcore basketball is reserved for a certain niche. Red Army and Dugong Arriba are good examples. Despite the fact that the two schools have no real deep and far reaching rivalry, the faithfuls are there. WE can occupy* Araneta in a weekend encounter with or without the hype.

I don't need hype.* That is why I'm ok with Arellano in joining the NCAA.* This school will not bring any glitz and glamour to the league. However, they can bring in a highly competitive squad. That's good for us hardcore supporters. Not good for the "hype" dependent fanboys and fangirls. :D

Hypists and media? They are simply "Manufacturing Consent". Ok fanboys and fangirsl, watch Noam Chomsky instead.

Watch "Manufacturing Consent" here. (http://video.google.ca/videosearch?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=W1p&q=Manufacturing%20consent%20online%20video&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#q=Manufacturing%20consent%20&hl=en&emb=0)

Goodness. My politics is showing. I'm in the wrong thread. ;D

Get_Blazed
08-20-2008, 03:55 PM
^^^Look, please dont get me wrong, I am not at all against the entrant of schools like EAC, Arellano, and SFAC. Im actually very much welcoming it. Pero kung maraming papasok na walang competitive programs(not only basketball, mind you), hindi magiging healthy for the league. I am actually very much welcoming deserving schools. :)

ABS-CBN ang magiging kalaban unang una kung maraming papasok.

danny
08-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Don't worry Get_Blazed. It's not about you.

It's the NCAA. No Strategic Planning whatsoever.

D_I_A
08-22-2008, 10:23 PM

ganun ata talaga..kaya mas maganda din kung meron talagang isang basketball channel na kayang i-cover or if not magbigay ng mga highlights ng mga games ng mga collegiate leagues nationwide para at least meron din exposure, di yung puro sa NCR lang.

danny
08-23-2008, 01:05 AM

ganun ata talaga..kaya mas maganda din kung meron talagang isang basketball channel na kayang i-cover or if not magbigay ng mga highlights ng mga games ng mga collegiate leagues nationwide para at least meron din exposure, di yung puro sa NCR lang.

Sinong network ang papatol kung sa tingin nila hindi sila kikita?

Ganito lang ang negosyong yan.* Papasok ang isang network at mga sponsors kung sikat na ang isang liga o may mga sikat na paaralang makakpagpasok ng pera para sa kanila.
Hindi yan magtitiyagang pasikatin ang liga. Negosyon yan. Kung wala silang nakikitang merkado, walang investment. Kung hindi pa kumilos noon ang San Beda para magkaroong ng coverage, nasa kangkungan pa din ang NCAA.

Paano na ang ibang liga? Para sa mga network at sponsors na mukhang pera, walang malaking kita diyan.*

Uulitin ko. Negosyo ito. Hindi simpleng "sports development". Una muna ang pagiging sikat ng mga paaralan sa isang liga bago papasok ang negosyante. Hindi yung kabaligtarang iniisip ng karamihan na papasok ang negosyante para sumikat ang liga at mga paaralan.

Wala akong problema kung papasok ang kung sino sinong paaralan diyan sa NCAA. Huwag lang umasa na mga papasok na yan ang magdadala ng "hype" para dumami ang sponsors at maging maganda ang coverage.

Ewan ko lang. Bangkero ako dati sa Pinas. Kung sa akin lang, hindi ko pauutangin ang sino mang magtatapon ng pera para pasikatin muna ang isang liga para magkaroon ng perang pang-bayad sa inutang.* Kahit brasuhin pa ako sa Loan Com meeting o Board Meeting, hindi ako aprubado. :D
Tulad ng mga Bankero, yang mga sponsors at mga network na yan, pera ang unang nasa isip. Pero malay natin may pumatol. Baka naman "High Risk-High Reward" nga naman yan at hindi "high risk-low reward" tulad ng posisyon ko.

D_I_A
08-24-2008, 02:41 AM

Ganito lang ang negosyong yan.* Papasok ang isang network at mga sponsors kung sikat na ang isang liga o may mga sikat na paaralang makakpagpasok ng pera para sa kanila.
Hindi yan magtitiyagang pasikatin ang liga. Negosyon yan. Kung wala silang nakikitang merkado, walang investment. Kung hindi pa kumilos noon ang San Beda para magkaroong ng coverage, nasa kangkungan pa din ang NCAA.

Paano na ang ibang liga? Para sa mga network at sponsors na mukhang pera, walang malaking kita diyan.*

Uulitin ko. Negosyo ito. Hindi simpleng "sports development". Una muna ang pagiging sikat ng mga paaralan sa isang liga bago papasok ang negosyante. Hindi yung kabaligtarang iniisip ng karamihan na papasok ang negosyante para sumikat ang liga at mga paaralan.

Wala akong problema kung papasok ang kung sino sinong paaralan diyan sa NCAA. Huwag lang umasa na mga papasok na yan ang magdadala ng "hype" para dumami ang sponsors at maging maganda ang coverage.

Ewan ko lang. Bangkero ako dati sa Pinas. Kung sa akin lang, hindi ko pauutangin ang sino mang magtatapon ng pera para pasikatin muna ang isang liga para magkaroon ng perang pang-bayad sa inutang.* Kahit brasuhin pa ako sa Loan Com meeting o Board Meeting, hindi ako aprubado. :D
Tulad ng mga Bankero, yang mga sponsors at mga network na yan, pera ang unang nasa isip. Pero malay natin may pumatol. Baka naman "High Risk-High Reward" nga naman yan at hindi "high risk-low reward" tulad ng posisyon ko.

i agree with your realistic views, interes lang talaga ng networks yan..but hopefully kahit papaano may mag-invest, malaking bagay din iyan para sa sport na mahal natin lahat.

Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!!! ;)

Get_Blazed
08-24-2008, 09:42 PM

Ganito lang ang negosyong yan. Papasok ang isang network at mga sponsors kung sikat na ang isang liga o may mga sikat na paaralang makakpagpasok ng pera para sa kanila.

Paano na ang ibang liga? Para sa mga network at sponsors na mukhang pera, walang malaking kita diyan.

Its good to see that we are in fact on the same page sir Danny. Kala ko hindi mo nakikita ang point ko. Akin lang, importante sa NCAA ang ABS coverage, kaya hindi pwede basta magadd ng teams(kahit gusto natin, it is a noble idea). At tama lahat ng sinabi mo. Kaya nga we need first to get the nod of ABS CBN Sports if ever may papasok na bago satin. They have to consider the business side of it all. Feeling ko natatakot silang masyadong maging pedestrian(or pang-masa) ang NCAA. Feeling ko lang naman.

D_I_A
08-25-2008, 01:39 PM

Its good to see that we are in fact on the same page sir Danny. Kala ko hindi mo nakikita ang point ko. Akin lang, importante sa NCAA ang ABS coverage, kaya hindi pwede basta magadd ng teams(kahit gusto natin, it is a noble idea). At tama lahat ng sinabi mo. Kaya nga we need first to get the nod of ABS CBN Sports if ever may papasok na bago satin. They have to consider the business side of it all. Feeling ko natatakot silang masyadong maging pedestrian(or pang-masa) ang NCAA. Feeling ko lang naman.

but imho, sport doesn't need to be elitist nor discriminating..magiging productive pa rin naman yan kung marami yung mga teams..

it will be noblest if it will cater to all people from different walks of life..business side or interests must not only be considered, sometimes, big companies must have a strong sense of corporate social responsililbility just like engaging in sports without being limited by their interests.

i hope to see not only a single team or league dominating the collegiate basketball scene. Growth of the collegiate basketball shouldn't be monopolized by those leagues who have the best media exposure or financial backing. Real growth in college basketball supports diversity and openness. i wish to see those in the provinces/regions and the so-called "minor" or "other" school leagues to rise to the challenge and give those NCR-based leagues a run of their money.

discrimination and divisiveness won't serve as catalyst of changing our beloved sport. In basketball whether we're common tao or a well-of we're still welcome to play, it only takes a ball, a community and a common passion to be a great part of it.

Peace and Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!!!

Get_Blazed
08-25-2008, 03:51 PM
^We all know that, but can we do anything? Business is business, ika nga. They would still chose what is profitable for them over other things.

D_I_A
08-26-2008, 04:26 PM
^We all know that, but can we do anything? Business is business, ika nga. They would still chose what is profitable for them over other things.

that's the sad part of sports when it get commercialized.. :(

Get_Blazed
08-26-2008, 04:32 PM

that's the sad part of sports when it get commercialized.. :(

Part talaga yan. We wouldnt be able to get sports as we know it(on TV) without these commercial sponsors. Walang coverage pag walang corporate sponsors. Ganun talaga.

magnum_motoki
09-26-2008, 11:32 AM
to quote marcus adoro of the eraserheads in his reply if one of the motivating factor in deciding to do an eheads reunion concert: "yes, more money, more money for arts".

in this case, with commercialization, more money for sports development...its just the way it is... :)

pyke
10-13-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm really hoping that the ManCom of the NCAA will approve my school's (Arellano University) application to compete in the 85th season. I think kaya na makipagsabayan ng AU Chiefs sa mga schools sa NCAA.Sana aggressive din ang mga school officials namin to pursue the application para naman we Arelyanistas can show off our pride and school spirit.

Hail to the Chiefs!

Pyke Laygo
Law Student, Arellano University School of Law

aircanda
10-13-2008, 06:58 PM
kumusta na ang application ng Arellano? malabo pa ren ba?

bchoter
10-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Baka ayaw niyang mag end ang collegiate career niya on a sour note kaya, since ubos na ang eilgibility niya sa UAAP, sa NCAA naman ngayon.

st_ang3r
10-13-2008, 09:19 PM
^^^ ????

sir_hodge
10-13-2008, 10:44 PM
uhm... did AMACU try to join NCAA before? What happened?

LION
10-14-2008, 08:49 AM
Baka ayaw niyang mag end ang collegiate career niya on a sour note kaya, since ubos na ang eilgibility niya sa UAAP, sa NCAA naman ngayon.

Anak ng teteng pareng bchoter. Nakanganga ako ng mga sampung segundo sa post mo.* Marcy Arellano pala bwahahaha.

On topic: I'm ok with Arellano (the school :)) joining the NCAA pero dapat disqualified na si Lolo Orland Daroya.* *Sabi ni Shaq, Red Cub pa lang siya e superstar na sa Arellano si Daroya.* *;D*

mighty_lion
10-14-2008, 09:15 AM
On topic: I'm ok with Arellano (the school* :)) joining the NCAA pero dapat disqualified na si Lolo Orland Daroya.* *Sabi ni Shaq, Red Cub pa lang siya e superstar na sa Arellano si Daroya.* *;D*

Parang ang tagal na nga ni Daroya dyan. Naalala ko dati Team B pa si Escobal and Ekwe, distinguished veteran star player na si Daroya sa FMC.

vanquish
10-14-2008, 11:47 AM

Anak ng teteng pareng bchoter. Nakanganga ako ng mga sampung segundo sa post mo.* Marcy Arellano pala bwahahaha.

On topic: I'm ok with Arellano (the school* :)) joining the NCAA pero dapat disqualified na si Lolo Orland Daroya.* *Sabi ni Shaq, Red Cub pa lang siya e superstar na sa Arellano si Daroya.* *;D*

Buti na lang nabasa ko post mo Lion. Nalito rin ako. ;D

LION
10-14-2008, 12:16 PM
^ Nag back read pa ako para hanapan ng link yung post niya wala akong nakita. Buset. >:(

pyke
10-14-2008, 02:36 PM

Wala pa nga balita eh. Sana maaprove na nga kami.

D_I_A
10-14-2008, 04:09 PM

big boost yan pag nakasama kayo sa NCAA, sana kasabay din ang EAC at SFAC umakyat ng NCAA..

pyke
10-14-2008, 06:47 PM

big boost yan pag nakasama kayo sa NCAA, sana kasabay din ang EAC at SFAC umakyat ng NCAA..

Yep, and we Arelyanistas are hoping to join you during the opening of the 85th season.

D_I_A
10-16-2008, 03:33 PM

Yep, and we Arelyanistas are hoping to join you during the opening of the 85th season.

good luck..tulak nyo pa.. para mas masaya kahit isang dosenang teams sa NCAA

AU, EAC, and SFAC magpunyagi pa para makapasok na kayo..

animo
10-16-2008, 04:34 PM
first thing first... may application na ba?

D_I_A
10-17-2008, 02:37 AM
Phil. Journal 10/17/2008

5 schools knock at NCAA door

THE National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is seriously considering the application of five major schools as possible new members for the coming 2009-2010 season.

Among those seeking entry in the country’s oldest collegiate league are Emilio Aguinaldo College, Centro Escolar University, Arellano University, Angeles University Foundation and Lyceum University.

League officials bared the list of school applicants following a six-hour marathon joint meeting among the NCAA Policy Board and the Management Committee (MANCOM) yesterday at the Casa Espanyol in Manila.

The league began to consider accepting new member schools following the self-imposed, indefinite leave-of-absence to be taken by Philippine Christian University next season for the having employed unwittingly the use of ineligible players.

Insiders around the NCAA however, said Emilio Aguinaldo College appeared to have the inside track among the current applicants.

“We’ll set the criteria and the seven other regular NCAA members will review the applications of each school,” MANCOM member and NCAA spokesperson Henry Atayde of College of St. Benilde said.

Don Bosco-Makati and Technological Institute of the Philippines have also expressed intention in joining the NCAA, according to Atayde.

A new member school is required to participate in all 10 events of the NCAA, both in college and high school. It must also pay the league’s entry fee reportedly within the vicinity of P5 million.

PCU could re-apply for membership in 2010 once its serves is one-year leave-of-absence.

“Just like everybody else, they have to apply for membership again in the NCAA,” MANCOM chairman Ding Lozano of Mapua said.

the more the merrier..

pyke
10-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Sad naman, mukhang EAC daw ang may edge, but then again, we are still hoping that makapasok kami

nicksy
10-17-2008, 03:59 PM
Sad naman, mukhang EAC daw ang may edge, but then again, we are still hoping that makapasok kami

don't worry if arrellano will not be admitted this year surely next year you will be admitted, because beside PCU NCAA will need two more Schools to accomplish the target 10 by 2010.

Get_Blazed
10-17-2008, 05:58 PM

don't worry if arrellano will not be admitted this year surely next year you will be admitted, because beside PCU NCAA will need two more Schools to accomplish the target 10 by 2010.

I think you had it wrong, if PCU is to come back in 2010, then they would only need one more, since they intend to admit one member in 2009.

The_Big_Cat
10-17-2008, 06:09 PM
The NCAA before Season 84 publicly admitted that they want a 9-team roster for Season 85.

At ang maugong na tsismis is that EAC and Arellano are already "shoo-ins". Yung 10-team roster target na yan is for Season 86 because they are expecting PCU to re-enter on that year.

Get_Blazed
10-17-2008, 06:15 PM
The NCAA before Season 84 publicly admitted that they want a 9-team roster for Season 85.

At ang maugong na tsismis is that EAC and Arellano are already "shoo-ins". Yung 10-team roster target na yan is for Season 86 because they are expecting PCU to re-enter on that year.

But based on the clippings, mukhang 8 teams muna for '85, minus PCU, plus one member(EAC?).

D_I_A
10-18-2008, 03:26 AM
sana ituloy tuloy na iton na 12-team roster... :D

-insane-
10-18-2008, 01:34 PM
10 muna kasi mahihirapan sa sched and sabi nga kailangan pa daw magapply ulit ng pcu for 2010

10 teams for 2010 hehehe

Get_Blazed
10-18-2008, 05:43 PM
sana ituloy tuloy na iton na 12-team roster... :D

Kung 12 teams, dapat pati tuesdays may games narin tayo.

-insane-
10-18-2008, 07:02 PM
mahirap talaga pag 12teams aabot na yun ng 2nd sem

Schortsanitis
10-19-2008, 12:53 AM
How about:
- Limit the teams in the NCAA to ten;
- Then come up with another NCAA division, a "B" division, also with 10 teams?
- Or alternatively; Come up with 14 NCAA teams in two divisions, with seven teams per division? Then you can come up with a Divisional championship per division. Then a Final Eight, or Final Four ranking to dispute the overall NCAA championships. That would be seem fun.

yehey
10-19-2008, 07:57 AM
GO AU CHIEFS! ;D

D_I_A
10-19-2008, 05:42 PM
How about:
-* Limit the teams in the NCAA to ten;
-* Then come up with another NCAA division, a "B" division, also with 10 teams?
-* Or alternatively;* Come up with 14 NCAA teams in two divisions, with seven teams per division?* Then you can come up with a* Divisional championship per division.* Then a Final Eight, or Final Four ranking to dispute the overall NCAA championships.* That would be seem fun.

pwede siguro yung 2 division format kaso ang tanong meron pa bang schools na kasing taas ng competitiveness just like those in the NCAA - EAC, Arellano Univ, SFAC, Lyceum lang ata eh.. so kung isasama yung pagbalik ng PCU by 2010 that will only make up 12 kulang pa ng 2 schools.

and why not make it 16 teams para talagang even ang bawat division

Get_Blazed
10-19-2008, 09:01 PM
How about:
- Limit the teams in the NCAA to ten;
- Then come up with another NCAA division, a "B" division, also with 10 teams?
- Or alternatively; Come up with 14 NCAA teams in two divisions, with seven teams per division? Then you can come up with a Divisional championship per division. Then a Final Eight, or Final Four ranking to dispute the overall NCAA championships. That would be seem fun.

pwede siguro yung 2 division format kaso ang tanong meron pa bang schools na kasing taas ng competitiveness just like those in the NCAA - EAC, Arellano Univ, SFAC, Lyceum lang ata eh.. so kung isasama yung pagbalik ng PCU by 2010 that will only make up 12 kulang pa ng 2 schools.

This has been discussed many times before, and the answer is the same as always: Not possible.
Thing is, all these ideas dont even matter to the management. :-X

D_I_A
10-20-2008, 01:45 AM
How about:
-* Limit the teams in the NCAA to ten;
-* Then come up with another NCAA division, a "B" division, also with 10 teams?
-* Or alternatively;* Come up with 14 NCAA teams in two divisions, with seven teams per division?* Then you can come up with a* Divisional championship per division.* Then a Final Eight, or Final Four ranking to dispute the overall NCAA championships.* That would be seem fun.

pwede siguro yung 2 division format kaso ang tanong meron pa bang schools na kasing taas ng competitiveness just like those in the NCAA* - EAC, Arellano Univ, SFAC, Lyceum lang ata eh.. so kung isasama yung pagbalik ng PCU by 2010 that will only make up 12 kulang pa ng 2 schools.

This has been discussed many times before, and the answer is the same as always: Not possible.
Thing is, all these ideas dont even matter to the management. :-X

who knows...kung Wall Street nga niyayanig ng pagbabago eh, mga liga pa kaya dito..hehe..

wishful thinking lang naman.. :D

GHRanger
10-20-2008, 10:08 AM
RE: 12/14/16 teams: Though this would be nice... we have to allow the league to mature and learn with 10 teams first. The willingness of NCAA to accept more teams is a refreshing sight as compared to the reluctance of the UAAP. Ang sa akln, the more teams competing at a higher level, the more exposure we get, the more exposure the better.

D_I_A
10-20-2008, 04:21 PM
RE: 12/14/16 teams:* Though this would be nice... we have to allow the league to mature and learn with 10 teams first.* The willingness of NCAA to accept more teams is a refreshing sight as compared to the reluctance of the UAAP.* Ang sa akln, the more teams competing at a higher level, the more exposure we get, the more exposure the better.

time will only tell..

CrossOver
11-01-2008, 01:37 AM
Arellano University, the back-to-back National Capital Region Athletic Association champion, is ready to join the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

Val Cayco, Arellano’s vice president for marketing who has personally handled the school’s athletic program, said yesterday they are equipped in meeting all the requirements needed to become the eighth member of the country’s oldest varsity league next year.
“We’re ready,” said Cayco.

The Chiefs have been dominating the field not only in the NCRAA but also in Fr. Martin Cup, which they topped the last three years. The Chiefs are also the Division II Cup title-holder.

The Leo Isaac-mentored Chiefs walloped UAAP team Far Eastern University, 64-56, last week to reign in the Fr. Martin Cup for the third straight year.

Bannering the squad are Orlando Daroya, Adrian Celada, Ice Ciriacruz, Jordan Melano, Leonard Anquillo, Jerome Agustin and Rommel del Rosario.

“All we want is respect. I’m sure they’ve started to notice us now,” said Isaac, a former Brgy. Ginebra star who also coaches the Mapua Cardinals in the NCAA.

Arellano’s junior team is also the back-to-back champion in the Fr. Martin Cup and the NCRAA’s high school division.

“We hope our recent victory will make people realize that we can compete with the best,” said Isaac.

The Philippine Christian U took an indefinite leave of absence, leaving the eighth slot open for next year’s NCAA. The league will expand to 10 teams in 2010.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20081031140)

crazybedan
11-01-2008, 06:38 AM
Arellano University, the back-to-back National Capital Region Athletic Association champion, is ready to join the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

Val Cayco, Arellano’s vice president for marketing who has personally handled the school’s athletic program, said yesterday they are equipped in meeting all the requirements needed to become the eighth member of the country’s oldest varsity league next year.
“We’re ready,” said Cayco.

The Chiefs have been dominating the field not only in the NCRAA but also in Fr. Martin Cup, which they topped the last three years. The Chiefs are also the Division II Cup title-holder.

kung lilipat sila sa NCAA alin kaya ang pipiliin ni coach LEO..if coach LEO decided to stick with mapua then my problema AU..hahanap pa sila ng ibang coach

The Leo Isaac-mentored Chiefs walloped UAAP team Far Eastern University, 64-56, last week to reign in the Fr. Martin Cup for the third straight year.

Bannering the squad are Orlando Daroya, Adrian Celada, Ice Ciriacruz, Jordan Melano, Leonard Anquillo, Jerome Agustin and Rommel del Rosario.

“All we want is respect. I’m sure they’ve started to notice us now,” said Isaac, a former Brgy. Ginebra star who also coaches the Mapua Cardinals in the NCAA.

Arellano’s junior team is also the back-to-back champion in the Fr. Martin Cup and the NCRAA’s high school division.

“We hope our recent victory will make people realize that we can compete with the best,” said Isaac.

The Philippine Christian U took an indefinite leave of absence, leaving the eighth slot open for next year’s NCAA. The league will expand to 10 teams in 2010.

PhilStar (http://www.philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20081031140)

franz_inwurdz
11-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Looking ahead, who gets Leo Isaac if AU comes in the NCAA? Contingency plan for both teams? Probable replacements?

gamecritic
11-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Looking ahead, who gets Leo Isaac if AU comes in the NCAA? Contingency plan for both teams? Probable replacements?

Junji Ablan na malamang yan. Sya yun chief lieutenant ni Coach Leo sa AU and sya ang coach ng AU juniors. Time for him to shine naman. Champion naman AU Juniors sa kanya. I think AU would definitely beat some NCAA teams easily. The likes of CSB would be very in danger pag kalaban nila AU. For sure yari agad sila. I know they would make instant impact.

razor
11-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Coach Koy Banal daw also played for AU after SBC took a leave of absence from the NCAA in the early 80s. Perhaps our elders like Tito MonL can shed more light on this. :D

bossman
11-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Coach Koy Banal daw also played for AU after SBC took a leave of absence from the NCAA in the early 80s.* Perhaps our elders like Tito MonL can shed more light on this.* :D

Ok din yan kung si Coach Koy ibang style naman!

Regular Grey
11-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Magandang labanan yan kapag si Koy ang Coach ng Arellano.

oblater
11-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Coach Koy Banal daw also played for AU after SBC took a leave of absence from the NCAA in the early 80s.* Perhaps our elders like Tito MonL can shed more light on this.* :D

Bedan Peter Cayco (of the Caycos of Arellano) was manager of the Red Lions during the era of Chuck Barreiro.
There's your link between SBC and AU.

I think even Joey Loyzaga played for AU.

(Peter Cayco, now with greying hair, cheered at the patron area during championship of NCAA 82.)

theo
11-03-2008, 11:33 PM
kelan ba yung result nyan??!!

guys! i'm waiting...hehehehe

bchoter
11-03-2008, 11:38 PM
^^ Yes, Joey Loyzaga played for AU in the 80's same with Willie Pearson

LION
11-04-2008, 07:37 AM

Bedan Peter Cayco (of the Caycos of Arellano) was manager of the Red Lions during the era of Chuck Barreiro.

(Peter Cayco, now with greying hair, cheered at the patron area during championship of NCAA 82.)

Pero ayaw pakawalan ng mga Cayco si Ciriacruz kahit na gustong mag San Beda nung bata. ;D

MonL
11-04-2008, 08:10 AM

I never saw nor remember reading about Koy playing for the Flaming Arrows, as AU was called then. Let me dig deeper into this. National Library's near the office, and Columbus Day's next week. I may discover some long lost stuff. :)

LION
11-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Uy. Taga Luneta ka pala pare ko. ;D

pyke
11-04-2008, 09:04 AM
Another convincing proof na baka pwede na kami sa NCAA next season.

Warriors, Chiefs, UL 5 in big starts

By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 03:40:00 11/04/2008

MANILA, Philippines—James Martinez fueled University of the East’s late-game surge and the Warriors turned back the Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals, 92-74, at the start Monday of the 2008 Philippine Collegiate Championship zonals at the Makati Coliseum.

Martinez buried back-to-back triples in a 14-2 UE binge with five minutes to go to seal the win that gave the Warriors the lead in Group D play.

Pari Llagas topscored with 23 points and nine rebounds, while Martinez finished with 17 markers for the Warriors, who bucked the absence of stars Marcy Arellano and Hans Thiele.

“We have at least seven players who haven’t been regularly practicing with us because they’re also practicing with their teams in the PBL [Philippine Basketball League],” said UE coach Dindo Pumaren.

Earlier, Orlando Daroya knocked in 22 points as the Arellano University Chiefs overwhelmed Region 1 champ St. Louis University, 82-36, in Group B action.

University of Luzon also gained headway in Group A after tripping Lyceum of Batangas, 79-62.

The top team in each group will earn a berth in the “Sweet 16” finals of the tournament that gathers the top varsity squads in the country.

Backstopped by the lanky Ruel Jabaybay, the Generals mounted repeated comebacks in the second half to wipe out the Warriors’ 15-point edge, 54-39, and move within four at 73-69.

Llagas and Elmer Espiritu, who chipped in 13 points, three steals and two blocks, kept the Warriors on top, before Martinez took over.

Raffy Reyes, son of ex-pro Elmer Reyes, added 10 markers, while Paul Lee delivered an all-around game of six points, 10 rebounds, six assists and two steals for the Warriors.

UAAP champion Ateneo de Manila University and runner-up De La Salle University and NCAA titlist San Beda College and second placer Jose Rizal University, along with four other varsity champions, clinched outright slots in the Sweet 16.

The winner of the national tournament will represent the country in the Universiade Games in Serbia and bag a P1-million total cash prize.

The scores:

First Game

ARELLANO 82—Daroya 22, Ciriacruz 9, Melaño 9, Del Rosario 8, Apostol 7, Rivera 6, Agustin 6, Virtuolazo 4, Miranda 4, Celada 3, Anquillo 2, Limboy 2.

ST. LOUIS 36—Rosales 8, Alimba 6, Garbonza 6, Jimenez 5, Depuña 5, Torio 4, Ang 2.

Quarters: 21-6, 41-20, 67-31, 82-36

Second Game

UNIV. OF LUZON 79—Ilao 21, Panunciar 18, Sabordo 12, Cubo 11, Santos 5, Cubo 4, Caiña 4, Clores 4.

LYCEUM-BATANGAS 62—Velarde 16, Reyes 14, Katigbac 10, Busamante 8, Bautista 4, Marasigan 4, Caranto 2, Ducay 2, Villanueva 2.

Quarters: 19-15, 34-32, 53-52, 79-62

Third Game

UE 92—Llagas 23, Martinez 19, Espiritu 13, Reyes 10, Bandaying 6, Lee 6, Zamar 5, Acuña 4, Tagarda 2, Noble 2, Etrone 2.

EAC 74—Jabaybay 21, Mendoza 17, Pupos 15, Quiambao 8, Yaya 7, Santos 4, Fotue 2, Cubo 0, Chong 0, Liwag 0.

Quarters: 24-20, 45-34, 64-57, 92-74

D_I_A
11-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Philstar
AU Chiefs have arrived
By Joey Villar
Friday, November 7, 2008

Three-time Fr. Martin Cup champion Arellano U showed its readiness to join the NCAA as it stunned 2006 UAAP champion Santo Tomas, 69-59, yesterday to barge into the “Sweet 16” of the 2008 Philippine Collegiate Champions League at the Makati Coliseum.

Orlando Daroya, priming up for his PBL debut for Pharex tomorrow, dished out a double-double performance of 32 points and 10 rebounds while coming up with five steals to power the Chiefs to the big win and a clash with UCAA champion Universal College of Nursing in the main draw.

“I guess teams will start to take notice of us now,” said Arellano coach Leo Isaac, who made a record of sort after he became the first mentor to steer two teams in the Sweet 16 after leading Mapua into the tournament proper the other day.

University of the East and Lyceum likewise advanced to the next phase by routing St. Clare, 108-80, and University of Nueva Caceres-Naga City, 81-60, respectively.

The Warriors arranged a showdown with the 6-9 George Slaughter-led Cebu champion University of Visayas while the Pirates will meet reigning UAAP titlist Ateneo.

The Chiefs, also the back-to-back NCRAA champions bidding to take Phil. Christian U’s slot in the NCAA next season, dominated the Tigers as they led from start to finish to boot out the fancied España-based squad, which missed the services of injured Jervy Cruz and Japs Cuan.

Arellano employed a man-to-man full-court trapping defense to scuttle UST and sustained aggressive offensive game throughout the contest.

Dylan Ababou, a PBL star playing for Magnolia Purewater, scored 22 points for UST.

The tournament is staking P500,000, P200,000 and P150,000 for the first to third placers in scholarship grants, courtesy of Smart, PLDT, KFC, Flying V, Fil-Oil and The STAR and another P500,000, P200,000 and P150,000 in cash courtesy of telecommunication boss Manny V. Pangilinan.

toti_mendiola
11-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Coach Koy Banal daw also played for AU after SBC took a leave of absence from the NCAA in the early 80s. Perhaps our elders like Tito MonL can shed more light on this. :D

I think he was team manager of the RL in 1978.

math01
11-07-2008, 12:58 PM

I think he was team manager of the RL in 1978.

Yes I would like to confirm that Koy Banal, Joey Loyzaga and the rest of the other red lions in the 80's played for Arellano. It was the aftermath of the misunderstansding of Peter and the coach of the RL then. This is according to Vic Cayco also a Bedan, son of Peter Cayco.

animo
11-07-2008, 07:59 PM
Pero ayaw pakawalan ng mga Cayco si Ciriacruz kahit na gustong mag San Beda nung bata.* ;D*

who is that guy? hs cager from au?

nastrans
11-07-2008, 08:15 PM
Isiah Ciriacruz was a former juniors standout of Arellano who has move up to the college squad. Freshman pa lang ata pero may kalalagyan ito within one or two years masipag na role-player to at forward.

toti_mendiola
11-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Isiah Ciriacruz was a former juniors standout of Arellano who has move up to the college squad. Freshman pa lang ata pero may kalalagyan ito within one or two years masipag na role-player to at forward.

Ciriacruz is a favorite of Jude Roque among the graduating varsity h.s. then. Sayang.

Dark Knight
11-08-2008, 03:10 PM
After defeating FEU in the FMC and UST in the PCCL, Arellano should join the UAAP. ;D

chiippy
11-08-2008, 05:38 PM
im a huge fan of this team sana makita ko sila playing live on tv! :)

bluefelix90
11-08-2008, 06:46 PM
right now , the au chiefs can beat any teams in the uaap and the ncaa... well, they may have a hard time beating san beda and ateneo...

when they make it in the ncaa, i dont think they will have the same deadly line-up as most of their key players are now playing in the pbl...

there is a rule in the ncaa , that new players should not play in any commercial league prior to playing in the ncaa.

im sure au sports program has already made plans to beef up their team in the event they get the slot in the ncaa.

good luck to the CHIEFS!

D_I_A
11-09-2008, 03:22 AM
After defeating FEU in the FMC and UST in the PCCL, Arellano should join the UAAP.* ;D

naks..expansion blues na rin ba for the UAAP? whoa! go!!!

untamed
11-09-2008, 08:56 AM
and i believed their star player daroya is too old to play in the ncaa next year because he is 24 years old now. and most of the player in the au liineup is too old for college basketball. i dont think they will be competitive next season as this year, if ever they will be the one admitted. one thing is for sure they will start from scratch.

chiippy
11-09-2008, 10:36 AM
last year na ni daroya pero meron pang gio ciriacruz big man who can also attack the basket, great outside shot and upper body strength. hindi lang nka line up ngaun due to an injury.

animo
11-09-2008, 02:12 PM
oo nga naman. since au is a university... why join ncaa when they should be in uaap?

a_ron
11-09-2008, 02:19 PM
oo nga naman.* since au is a university... why join ncaa when they should be in uaap?

Corek..

OPS
11-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Arellano is still competitive next year if ever matuloy sila sa ncaa..cla ang defending champion sa ncraa and nagchampion sila without daroya who went south to play in pagadian last year..sobrang bilib ako sa SPEED at de 8cision making na point guard nila na si jerome agustin who played for noosa shoes in the pbl last conference sobrang nag improve ung game nya..CUTE PA....

The_Big_Cat
11-10-2008, 09:06 AM
oo nga naman.* since au is a university... why join ncaa when they should be in uaap?

Corek..

Lagi kasi na-snub ng uaap ang appllication nila kaya sa ncaa na lang.

nicksy
11-10-2008, 12:22 PM

Corek..

Lagi kasi na-snub ng uaap ang appllication nila kaya sa ncaa na lang.

well it is just a matter of timing, Arellano Just took the opportunity when PCU Gave up their Spot. I wonder who would give a their Spot in the UAAP? or would UAAP Expand similar to NCAA doing right now?

animo
11-10-2008, 12:58 PM

Corek..

Lagi kasi* na-snub ng uaap ang appllication nila kaya sa ncaa na lang.

well it is just a matter of timing, Arellano Just took the opportunity when PCU Gave up their Spot. I wonder who would give a their Spot in the UAAP? or would UAAP Expand similar to NCAA doing right now?

i'm not sure if pcu already gave up their membership. afaik, they are on leave (while cleaning the house) and will be back.

nicksy
11-10-2008, 02:41 PM
i'm not sure if pcu already gave up their membership.* afaik, they are on leave (while cleaning the house) and will be back.*

sorry for the misinterpretation, PCU gave up their spot temporarily, but they do also need to apply same as the other aspirants. but as of the moment they are still members of the NCAA.

amdgc82
11-18-2008, 07:08 AM
Chiefs ready to meet 'NC' requirements
Updated November 18, 2008 12:00 AM*
philstar.com

The National Collegiate Athletic Association board recently visited applicant Arellano University and found the Legarda-based school ready to meet some, if not all, the necessary requirements needed to be accepted as the league’s newest member.

Members of the NCAA Management Committee chaired by Ding Lozano of Mapua had a positive response on the Chiefs’ readiness to join the oldest, prestigious league in the land today.

“There are some things Arellano would need to improve but we also found many good and positive things about them,” said Lozano.

Val Cayco, Arellano’s marketing chief who is also personally overseeing the school’s athletic program, said they are ready to provide all the requirements needed to join the 84-year-old league.

“Two of the three basic requirements are the entrance fee amounting somewhere around P7 million and the applicants need to have a high school. We both have it,” said Cayco.

The third one, and probably the most important of the requirements, is for the applicant to participate in all 10 sporting events the first three seasons without fail.

“Of the 10 sports, we have existing programs in basketball, volleyball, taekwondo, judo, swimming and chess and we’re in the process of laying the foundation on other events including track and field,” said Cayco.

nicksy
11-18-2008, 12:18 PM
wala bang academic requirements?? ;D

CrossOver
11-19-2008, 12:53 AM
The National Collegiate Athletic Association recently visited applicant Arellano University and found the Legarda-based school ready to meet some, if not all, the necessary requirements needed to be accepted as the league’s newest member.

Members of the NCAA Management Committee chaired by Ding Lozano of Mapua had a positive response on the Chiefs’ readiness to join the oldest, prestigious league in the land today.

"There are some things Arellano would need to improve but we also found many good and positive things about them," said Lozano.

Val Cayco, Arellano’s marketing chief who is also personally overseeing the school’s athletic program, said they are ready to provide all the requirements needed to join the 84-year-old league.

"Two of the three basic requirements are the entrance fee amounting somewhere around P7 million and the applicants need to have a high school. We both have it," said Cayco.

The third one, and probably the most important of the requirements, is for the applicant to participate in all 10 sporting events the first three seasons without fail.

"Of the 10 sports, we have existing programs in basketball, volleyball, taekwondo, judo, swimming, and chess and we’re in the process of laying the foundation on other events including track and field," said Cayco.

The NCAA would officially start processing applications next month with the school chosen filling the gap left by Philippine Christian University, which took an indefinite leave of absence.

Manila Bulletin (http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20081118141227.html)

CrossOver
11-19-2008, 01:01 AM
*edited* (wrong thread)

tae
11-20-2008, 10:03 PM
blita ko ang isa pang star player ng arellano eh ung jordan melano if im not mistaken..pro mdmi ng stories about this guy jordan that he is a player that can beat the opponent by himself because of his great basketball skills..i hope to see this guy in the pbl..i personally like this guy play :)

The_Big_Cat
11-21-2008, 01:17 PM
last year na ni daroya pero meron pang gio ciriacruz big man who can also attack the basket, great outside shot and upper body strength. hindi lang nka line up ngaun due to an injury.

24 years old na pala itong si Orlando Daroya kaya ineligible na siya next year if Arellano is granted membership.

D_I_A
12-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Arellano's program big plus in NCAA bid
Philstar
Updated December 01, 2008 12:00 AM

After dominating the league the past two years, Arellano University is back on top of the 2008 National Capital Region Athletic Association senior basketball tournament.

The school’s success is anchored not just on a strong college basketball program but an impressive high school system that incorporates not just basketball but the whole athletics program as well.

“We have a big high school population that we use as our base in identifying talents not just in sports but in the academics as well,” said Arellano board chair Francisco P.V. Cayco, referring to their satellite branches in Mandaluyong, Pasay and Malabon.

The Chiefs are banking on their high school team, which won an NCRAA and Fr. Martin Cup titles, as one of many strengths they bank on to apply for membership in the prestigious National Collegiate Athletic Association.

“While we can meet the other requirements, we feel our biggest strength lies in our high school,” said Arellano marketing chief Val Cayco, who also oversees the school’s athletic affairs with coach Leo Isaac.

Aside from its high school base, the other musts are the payment of the entrance fee amounting to around P7 million and compulsory participation in all of the league’s 10 sports in its first three seasons.

The 74-year-old league is currently searching for an eighth member for next year after Philippine Christian U took an indefinite leave of absence and two more in 2010.

“We’re ready to meet all those requirements,” said Cayco, whose school is also strong in taekwondo, judo and other contact sports.

CrossOver
12-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Back-to-back champion Arellano University walloped Philippine Merchant Marine School, 91-60, to boost its title bid in the 2008 National Capital Region Athletic Association (NCRAA) basketball tournament recently at the TIP-Casal Gym in Manila.

Orlando Daroya, who plays for Bacchus in the Philippine Basketball League, sizzled again, knocking in 21 points including 14 in the second quarter as the Chiefs scored their second straight win in the tournament.

But more than its strong showing in the NCRAA, Arellano’s high school program — not just basketball but also in other disciplines — has also gained attention for producing top caliber athletes.

That’s because Arellano has satellite branches in Mandaluyong, Pasay and Malabon where they can help nurture the talents of prospective players.

Manila Bulletin (http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20081201142427.html)

bluefelix90
12-01-2008, 08:24 PM
mas bagay siguro kayo sa UAAP.... among the applicants isa lang yata ang college ang EAC at lahat kayo univeristies, CEU, AUF, Lyceum...

galingan nyo pa....

chiippy
12-21-2008, 05:59 PM
wala bang news regarding sa papasok na school next year para sa NCAA?

Rafiboy_05
12-21-2008, 11:11 PM
NCAA defers decision on PCU replacement
By Cedelf P. Tupas
First Posted 0500 12/13/2008

MANILA, Philippines—The NCAA has deferred its decision to select a new member that will replace Philippine Christian University when the league stages its 85th season next year.

The NCAA Policy Board decided in a meeting Thursday to move the decision to the first week of January, league spokesperson Henry Atayde of St. Benilde said.

Five schools, namely, Arellano University, Emilio Aguinaldo College, Angeles University Foundation, Lyceum and Centro Escolar U, are vying for the lone slot available next season.

Two more members will be accepted by the country’s oldest collegiate league in 2010. Of the five schools, only CEU has no high school program.

“The Policy Board felt it was better to write directly to the applicants and convene again in the early part of January before making a decision,” Atayde said.

“We need a school which will make an impact on the league, not just on basketball,” Atayde told the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

The chosen school, however, will still have to meet certain requirements of the NCAA, among them a P5 million entry fee, a three-year probationary period and participation in all league sports.

Besides basketball, NCAA also holds competition in track and field, beach volleyball, chess, swimming, volleyball, taekwondo, lawn tennis, table tennis and football.

“Every year of their probationary period will also be graded,” NCAA management committee chair Ding Lozano said

PCU’s decision to take an indefinite leave was part of the condition for the school’s reinstatement this year, following its suspension by the NCAA in 2007 for fielding several ineligible players in 2006.

http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20081213-177787/NCAA-defers-decision-on-PCU-replacement

D_I_A
12-22-2008, 12:14 AM
NCAA defers decision on PCU replacement
By Cedelf P. Tupas
First Posted 0500 12/13/2008

MANILA, Philippines—The NCAA has deferred its decision to select a new member that will replace Philippine Christian University when the league stages its 85th season next year.

The NCAA Policy Board decided in a meeting Thursday to move the decision to the first week of January, league spokesperson Henry Atayde of St. Benilde said.

Five schools, namely, Arellano University, Emilio Aguinaldo College, Angeles University Foundation, Lyceum and Centro Escolar U, are vying for the lone slot available next season.

Two more members will be accepted by the country’s oldest collegiate league in 2010. Of the five schools, only CEU has no high school program.

“The Policy Board felt it was better to write directly to the applicants and convene again in the early part of January before making a decision,” Atayde said.

“We need a school which will make an impact on the league, not just on basketball,” Atayde told the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

The chosen school, however, will still have to meet certain requirements of the NCAA, among them a P5 million entry fee, a three-year probationary period and participation in all league sports.

Besides basketball, NCAA also holds competition in track and field, beach volleyball, chess, swimming, volleyball, taekwondo, lawn tennis, table tennis and football.

“Every year of their probationary period will also be graded,” NCAA management committee chair Ding Lozano said

PCU’s decision to take an indefinite leave was part of the condition for the school’s reinstatement this year, following its suspension by the NCAA in 2007 for fielding several ineligible players in 2006.

http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20081213-177787/NCAA-defers-decision-on-PCU-replacement

mag two divisions na lang ang NCAA para mas maraming teams mas masaya..

whiplash
12-24-2008, 03:32 PM

In a country that has gone too basketball crazy, schools have to allow other sports to flourish.. Arellano might have a strong basketball team, but how is its swimming team? how are its training facilities for other sports?

We should not support a school where only a small percentage of its student population can participate in one elite sport, we should support a school where top notch facilities can allow students to excel in many other sports..

Kaya tayo mas malala pa ngayon sa Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia.. even our NCAA shows the wrong priorities!

nastrans
12-24-2008, 03:57 PM
In one of the latest press releases that Arellano has been posting in the papers (to influence the NCAA), they mentioned that beat several best volleyball teams in the NCRAA, teams that aren't the best in that league.

And right, ang basehan sa pagpasok ng isang school ay isang matatag na sports program (ilang beses na rin nabanggit ito ni Leo Isaac) at hindi lang sa basketball at hindi rin sa pagpasa ng releases sa dyaryo to influence the observers and the league itself to be the topnotch team to join the NCAA.

Bruticus
01-29-2009, 08:33 PM

Looks like there won't be any dilemma at all.

From: http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20090129-186174/Red-Bull-names-Isaac-new-head-coach

Get_Blazed
01-31-2009, 09:41 PM

Looks like there won't be any dilemma at all.

From: http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20090129-186174/Red-Bull-names-Isaac-new-head-coach

Why was he allowed to coach to colleges in the first place? That is probably unfair to one of them. Siguradong mas impartial siya towards one of them.

biboy
04-24-2009, 10:45 PM
kung guest team na nga AU for the season85., nasa line-up pa kaya ung Orlando Daroya????

nuss
04-25-2009, 11:02 PM
^la na

bedista_ako
04-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Super veteran na yun. Tagal na nun sa AU e

pyke
05-06-2009, 01:17 PM
In Huddle

Three NCAA ‘additions’ flabbergasted

By Beth Celis
First Posted 23:34:00 05/05/2009

Filed Under: Basketball

SHORTLY AFTER guest schools Arellano University, Emilio Aguinaldo College and Angeles University Foundation were assessed P2 million each (P1.5 million for tournament fee, P500,000 for bond), the NCAA management committee informed them that athletes who participated in the last NCRAA (National Capital Region Athletic Association) would not be eligible to play in this season’s tournaments.

According to the committee, an athlete is required a year’s residency if he participated in another major league the previous year like, for example, the NCRAA. The requirement does not apply to freshmen and athletes who did not compete in any organized tournament in the previous year.

The three schools were reportedly flabbergasted. Arellano and EAC, both NCRAA regulars, had agreed to join the NCAA even only as guest teams, based on the premise that the athletes they had trained in the NCRAA will be “elevated” to the NCAA.

Now the league is telling them to scrounge around for new players. They will have to start from scratch. In the case of basketball, they only have two months to form a new team since the opening is set on June 27.

Time constraint is not the only problem. Where will they get their players? A basketball Team B is definitely not competitive, assuming any of the three schools has one.

An all-freshman lineup, on the other hand, will be a pushover.

“For sure, the three newcomers will become the whipping boys of the league—which defeats the purpose of acquiring additional teams, as envisioned by television coveror ABS-CBN,” said an official of one of the schools.

He pointed out that in the case of the College of St. Benilde, the school was allowed to field in their NCRAA athletes when they joined the NCAA some years back.

imay
05-30-2009, 04:15 PM
dapat lang na kasali arellano sa NCAA kc anjan pa c idol jho, allen v., isiah c.. wla nga lng c rod tska c harvey...

Joe_c00l
08-20-2009, 02:44 AM
Arellano is doing Good in NCAA!!!
they have a chance for final 4!

brownjapanese
08-22-2009, 07:01 PM
I think with the good showing of Arellano Univ., they will be a regular member in the NCAA next year.

imay
09-16-2009, 03:44 PM
arellano is qualified with that position...and arellano is very competitive in all events... cguro kng last yr pa nkapaglaro ung arellano sa NCAA i think bka nsa FINALS pa sla.. at kng mamalasin, bka nag Champion pa nga eh... hehehe new entry plang sla ngaun pro nsa Top 5 na db?.. wla pa c Ronnel "Robin" Del Rosario jan.. ;D