PDA

View Full Version : Odds and Ends: How the oddsmakers call it

bchoter
07-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Got this from the BEN:

Check out the spread in Binondo now. Once you do, you'll know how the NABRO whistle will blow this Sunday.

Let's see what the odds/spread are and find out if the end result stay true with dieslbirdie's observations.

We start with the opening weekend.

July 5, Game 1: ADU vs. FEU - <please place winning spread here>
July 5, Game 2: UE vs. UST - <please place winning spread here>

July 6, Game 1: UP vs. NU - <please place winning spread here>
July 6, Game 2: DLSU vs. ADMU - <please place winning spread here>

Mods/Admins: Feel free to lock this thread up if it goes against gambling laws

batangueño
07-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Well, when Chito Narvasa got appointed as UAAP commissioner, NABRO just strengthened its hold on the UAAP. :o

bluewing
07-02-2008, 12:30 PM
bchoter, maganda tong naisip mo. this way we can track trends and patterns (if there are indeed any) sa spread, sa officiating at sa outcome ng laro. for future reference lang. pangkiliti ng isipan.

batangueño
07-02-2008, 12:32 PM
bchoter, maganda tong naisip mo. this way we can track trends and patterns (if there are indeed any) sa spread, sa officiating at sa outcome ng laro. for future reference lang. pangkiliti ng isipan.

Teka lang, Kabayang bluewing. Hindi ba't para na din natin binigyan ng libreng tip ang mga sugarol by putting things like this here? I mean, meron na ngang mga Lotto guides at guides sa pagtaya sa karera sa mga diyaryo, meron pa tayong version ng pagtaya sa ending ng basketball at iba pang basketball-related gambling activities dito? :o

GHRanger
07-02-2008, 01:26 PM

Teka lang, Kabayang bluewing. Hindi ba't para na din natin binigyan ng libreng tip ang mga sugarol by putting things like this here? I mean, meron na ngang mga Lotto guides at guides sa pagtaya sa karera sa mga diyaryo, meron pa tayong version ng pagtaya sa ending ng basketball at iba pang basketball-related gambling activities dito? :o

I think what will be placed here are the point spreads. This would be an interesting "study" of sorts on how binondo would influence the games. It's not really gambling tips per se. Our Sugarols wouldn't need these odds as it will be open to them when they bet if i'm not mistaken.

But i do agree if the discussion borderlines on rules of Gameface, then i think this thread should be closed.

batangueño
07-02-2008, 03:01 PM
I think what will be placed here are the point spreads. This would be an interesting "study" of sorts on how binondo would influence the games. It's not really gambling tips per se. Our Sugarols wouldn't need these odds as it will be open to them when they bet if i'm not mistaken.

But i do agree if the discussion borderlines on rules of Gameface, then i think this thread should be closed.

Well, maybe Gameface management can decide on that matter. Perhaps this thread can serve as a more in-depth study as to the way the Binondo syndicate operates and influences the outcome of UAAP games and other basketball events. We must really find ways to end this deliberate bastardization of the sport by individuals who are only after personal gain at the expense of the league and the players.

flsfnoeraekadad
07-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Odds thread. Ayos.

scqg
07-02-2008, 09:15 PM
asan bookie? ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
07-02-2008, 09:25 PM
asan bookie? ;D

Hindi kumpleto ang thread na to kung wala tayong bookie!

Jump_Shooter
07-02-2008, 09:29 PM
I'll allow this thread for now (unless I'm overruled) so long as we just discuss the point spread (meaning no bookies allowed). Personally I think it's a good topic. But can anyone guarantee the accuracy of the information to be posted here? Sometimes the spreads vary, depending on your Binondo source.

flsfnoeraekadad
07-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Jump_Shooter, basta someone who knows the spread ok na

batangueño
07-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Meron na ba tayong resource person tungkol sa mga spread na yan? ???

wackeekaren
07-02-2008, 10:43 PM
I don't know if it's the same with all the bookies but usually, odds (+/-) of a game are usually sent 30 minutes to 1 hour before the game. Sa NBA it's the night before but in the UAAP, or even PBA, they send it just before the game. And even then, depending on the bets, the + or - of a team changes, to even out the betting.

But it's possible that there will be a few rumors about the odds going around the day/night before, just like in the international leagues. There's wagerline.com for the NBA (NFL, MLB, etc) and those are usually accurate.

GHRanger
07-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks WackeeKaren.

I guess it would be worthwhile to actually note down the time this was put in.
Para hindi mabuking yung mga sugarol, maybe one of us can volunteer to take in the odds via PM and post it here.... hehehehe....
Sana may makakitang referee at malaman nilang binabantayan na sila.

bchoter
07-03-2008, 11:07 AM
Maybe dieselbirdie can provide us with the spread. He seem to know a lot about the spreads and NABRO

bchoter
07-03-2008, 03:25 PM
To avoid being used as a tool for gambling maybe the point spread and odds should only be posted after the game since we're just interested with the relationship between the spread and the referee's performance anyway.

Maybe somebody could provide an interpretation to the game's result in relation with the odds, bets placed and the winning spread.

Fried Green Tomato
07-04-2008, 10:11 AM
^^^

I don't know if such discussion would result to anything positive for the teams playing in the uaap.

We know that this has been happening in the background but to loudly talk about it as if it's the right thing to do... then in a way, we're condoning and being part of this menace to society.

In the long run, kawawa naman ang mga teams na nanalo at iisipin na lang kaya nanalo dahil sa odds na binigay sa kanila.

Do we have to go this road?

oca
07-04-2008, 11:49 AM
This "odds" all came about because the gamblers do have their sympathies still and tumitibok pa rin naman ang kanilang mga puso. Ayaw na nilang pinapatalo yung mga team na malapit sa kalooban nila dahil lang sa kagustuhang kumabig.

Instead of outright "fixing the results by way of manipulation from the refs or by the players", they just let everyone play and simply let the refs manage the point difference.

Simply, kung panalo, panalo. Kung talo, talo.

The problem arises when, in the course of "managing the point spreads towards the end of the game", a stupid ref gets into the nerves and into the heads of players and coaches.

Ayun, nalintikan na ang diskarte ng mga players at coaches.

But, imo, in the long term this may just deter the refs from being part of the crime. For if the point spreads gets too consistent with the actual outcome of the games, magdadalawang isip na ang mga iyan dahil halata na.

Kung ikukubli o magbubulungan, mananatiling haka-haka yan sa publico.

Ilantad ang pt spreads, nang sa gayon ay magdalawang isip ang mga ref bago sila makipagsabwatan.

Ilista ang ref sa bawat laro. Sa bawat laro na tugma sa pt spread, tandaan kung sino ang mga ref. Sino rin yung mga ref na may "magandang tawag" sa end-game, tignan ang pt spread pagkatapos.

Ilagay sa honor roll ang mga referee ng mga laro na tugma ang mga pt spread. Dapat parangalan ang mga magaling mag-manage nang point spreads.

Alam nating may pustahang nangyayari. Alam nating pt spreads can be managed. Alam nating the refs play a part in it.

Sino ang may kayang habulin yung mga bumabanka nito?

But if you can take the refs out of the equation, may magagawa ba ang mga sugarol na iyan?

Put the odds here BEFORE the game, nang magkaalaman kung sino sa mga refs ang totoong magaling.

bchoter
07-04-2008, 11:49 AM
^^ Or it could also disprove it. Baka naman haka haka lang yung natalo ang isang team dahil sa 'Binondo'

In addition to the protagonists and the winning spread, tama nga si oca, puwede ring ilagay ang pangalan ng referees. Madalas napagbubuntunan ng sisi ang referees. At least wede nating masabi na puwedeng may infulence ang odds or sadyang inept lang sila

Fried Green Tomato
07-04-2008, 12:27 PM
And that's the danger of talking in the realms of "speculations".

Kapag may pangit na call ang ref, maghahaka-haka ba tayo na he's part of it? O baka bad call lang talaga ang nagawa niya?

At sino naman ang magiging authority para mag-post na totoo o hindi nga yong spread na ilalagay dito or itong ref na ito kasabwat sa point-shaving/spreading game? Kahit sino puwedeng magsabi na ito ang spread or puwedeng maghaka-haka na kasabwat ang isang ref... lalo na kapag natalo ang team mo dahil sa tingin mo palpak ang tawag ng ref.

Sa culture pa naman ng pinoy na walang gustong matalo, may another excuse na namang magagamit kapag natalo.

bluewing
07-04-2008, 12:28 PM
i like it. i agree that we should jot down the refs involved in the games.

this could be a positive step toward discouraging spread management. after all, a lot of the regular posters here in gameface are known personalities in the basketball scene. *who knows? with enough documentation, these personalities can use these findings as a springboard for their own studies on the subject. and then they can write an article about it.

on the flip side, kung talagang wala, e di at least we can use the same findings to disprove any doubters. ma-vi-vindicate pa ang mga ref. win-win.

i like it.

bchoter
07-04-2008, 12:38 PM
^^ Matagal na rin namang ginagamit na excuse ang "sindikato". If we know the odds and the winning spread at least we can dispute such claims if the spread and odds says otherwise. Kung tugma naman, well, mapanghinala naman tayo from the start...

Fried Green Tomato
07-04-2008, 12:59 PM
^

So if that's the case...when does speculation ends and fact begins?

While we may all provide the speculations... who's going to provide the facts?

So the post-game analysis now should also take into consideration as a fixture the relevance/significance of the "alleged" point-spread of the game?

bluewing
07-04-2008, 01:06 PM
this is by no means a fact-finding exercise. i liken it more to a preliminary study to a possible future investigation. nothing wrong with that. as i said, there are posters here with enough clout to pull off something concrete. someone who has the ears of proper officials.

besides, talking about it in a public forum is better than doing nothing about it. big changes often stem from small ideas.

bchoter
07-04-2008, 01:15 PM
It only becomes factual if somebody is caught red handed so everything's just mere speculation to me. It's up for the individual to accept or reject what is posted here.

There have been a lot of 'haka-hakas' before. The Guerrilla's and the Custodio's have been acussed and judged based on rumours. The refs get the same treatment on a per game basis. The winning spread and odds will just add a new dimension ot the 'haka-hakas'. The question has been out there (dieselbird already posted something about the officiating and points-spread relationship although I have yet to hear from him since his post in the BEN). We might as well discuss it to end or prove such claims. At the very least mababawasan ang scape goats.

Fried Green Tomato
07-04-2008, 01:20 PM
^

ok. My only concern is for the thread to end up as a valid justification for a defeat. Also, it demotes the essence of the game (for all it's worth) to being a mere play thing of the syndicate.

In the end, it's really up to the admins here to do what is right.

GHRanger
07-04-2008, 04:29 PM
I think that the statistics should be looked at at a higher level and not on a per game basis. IMHO, Evaluations should be done at the end of each round.

oca
07-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Matagal nang usaping ang sugal sa larong ito. Matagal nang usapin ang sinasabing game management ng referees. Di pa man katagalan ang usapin sa "spread", or "plus", di mapagkakaila na talagang pinag-uusapan yan.

Ano ang pinag-kaiba kung dito pag-usapan?

I agree, how credible are the spreads that will be stated here. From whom? By whom?

Teka, teka. Did we ever ask for the credibility of sources pag pinag-usapan ito sa labas ng internet?

It is always, "according to...", "sabi ni...", yet all these stories persisted.

Designate just one member of this forum to post the spread. Any posting about a given spread by another member is "deemed unacceptable".

Punto ko rito, sa hinaba-haba ng panahon na pinepeste ang larong ito ng sugal, here is a new and novel way of deterring the refs in getting involve.

Post the spread before the game. Take note of the refs who called the game. See the actual result.

Pag walang nakitang co-relation, ano ang nawala sa atin?

Kung may makitang co-relation among "spread/ refs/ game result", aba... gawan natin ng special threads ang mga nasabing refs! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

batangueño
07-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Mga Kabayan, since the topic being talked about in this thread is quite sensitive, how trustworthy are our "resource persons"? I mean, Gameface is a place where we only take up facts and deal with rumors or the "he said, she said" statements with a grain of salt so I am expecting that our "resource person" for this particular topic should be trustworthy and credible enough to talk about illicit practices behind basketball games. ???

danny
07-05-2008, 03:22 AM
This is an idea worthy of an academic discussion in statistics and probability. Just be sure that the spread that will be posted is the one that is actually being used by the "syndicate." Now that's the tricky part.

Come on! Bring it on!

This is a legitimate area of study in "forensic economics". No need to worry.

Check this out:

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:6tmZIr7JK9YJ:bpp.wharton.upenn.edu/jwolfers/Papers/PointShaving.pdf+statistical+study+in+point+spread +gambling&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

The book "Freakonomics" also discussed about point spread/shaving. The syndicate will always leave a statistical trail.

joelex
07-06-2008, 02:01 AM
In yesterdays UAAP games, FEU was favored over Adamson by 8pts..
UE over UST by 4 and a half

joelex
07-06-2008, 02:30 AM
http://www-econ.stanford.edu/academics/Honors_Theses/Theses_2007/Gibbs2007.pdf

came across a thesis on NBA betting from no less than an undergrad from Stanford U.

danny
07-06-2008, 11:29 PM
^^^

Yup, this area of study is legit.

batangueño
07-07-2008, 12:39 AM
May balita na ba tungkol sa spread ng UP vs NU at DLSU vs ADMU games kahapon?

joelex
07-07-2008, 01:17 AM
NU as a favorite by 7 and a half points

DLSU underdog by 2 and a half

batangueño
07-07-2008, 01:24 AM
NU as a favorite by 7 and a half points

DLSU underdog by 2 and a half

Whoa! :o

Mukhang maraming natalo sa pusta nila sa NU ah. ;D

As for DLSU being the underdog, underdog naman talaga eh pero dikit yung laban. Talaga lang nagkatalo sa free throw shooting. :(

bchoter
07-07-2008, 12:30 PM
I've summed it up for easy reading:

Game 1: FEU vs. Adu
Winning spread: +8
Odds: ?
Final Score: 74-71
Note: FEU wins the game but AdU wins via the spread.

Game 2: UE vs. UST
Winning spread: +4.5
Final Score: 78-73
UE wins both the actual game and via the spread (by a whisker)

Game 1: NU vs. UP
Winning spread: +7.5
Final Score:
Note: UP wins the game and, obviously, via the spread.

Game 2: ADMU vs. DLSU
Winning spread: +2.5
Final Score: 79-73
ADMU wins both the actual game and even with the spread

* - School on the left is the 'llamado'

GHRanger
07-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Manong, yung coaches?

pablohoney
07-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Can we have a record of the referees' names for each game as well? ;D

I remember one of the refs in the UST-UE game was the same one during the second round held at Cuneta Astrodome last season. >:(

GHRanger
07-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Manong, yung coaches?

Sorry referees. HAHAHA

bchoter
07-07-2008, 05:02 PM
^ I was confused with your first post I didn't know how to respond :D

^^ Yes, I seem to have forgotten about the refs. Can anybody help us out?

GHRanger
07-07-2008, 05:10 PM
^ I was confused with your first post I didn't know how to respond :D

^^ Yes, I seem to have forgotten about the refs. Can anybody help us out?

Paumanhin po Manong.

The scoresheets usually have the referees there + you can pen Narvasa in as well. :) :P :D

Wang-Bu
07-07-2008, 10:11 PM
Huwag lang Binondo, sama na din ang sa Sta Cruz, Pasay at Caloocan, matindi din ang kolektahan dun.

THE ONLOOKER
07-08-2008, 12:30 AM
I hope someone tracks the fouls called by the refs especially in the 4th quarter and the free throws that were given.

GHRanger
07-08-2008, 11:59 AM
DLSU/ADMU - Refs are:
Bayais J, Jimenez J, Canosa E.

batangueño
07-08-2008, 12:42 PM
If I am not mistaken, one of the referees who officiated the UE vs UST game last Saturday was our "favorite" Boyong Mañalac. Boyong, may lambing sa dulo... Yong. ;D

THE ONLOOKER
07-11-2008, 08:55 AM
The official who slapped Galinato two quick fouls on the opening minute of Ateneo vs. Adamson game must be investigated.

It's obvious that Ateneo has large spread over Adamson from the start. The refs forced to sit the double-double guy all throughout the game. ;D

batangueño
07-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Nakuha niyo ba yung mga pangalan ng referees na nag-officiate sa laro niyo kahapon, Kabayang THE ONLOOKER? Importante kasing makuha ang mga pangalan nila so that we will all be warned the next time they officiate a game. ;)

Uy teka, anong spreads kahapon? ;D

glock23
07-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Nakuha niyo ba yung mga pangalan ng referees na nag-officiate sa laro niyo kahapon, Kabayang THE ONLOOKER? Importante kasing makuha ang mga pangalan nila so that we will all be warned the next time they officiate a game. ;)

From foe to friend ang tingin ng ibang atenista nyan sa NABRO ngayon! ;D Biglang kabig sa pagbatikos! hahaha!

BigBlue
07-11-2008, 09:26 PM

From foe to friend ang tingin ng ibang atenista nyan sa NABRO ngayon!* ;D Biglang kabig sa pagbatikos! hahaha!

foe to friend kamo? may atenista ba talagang nagiisisp ng ganun ngayon?* ??? si glock masyadong maligalig ata today. :D

THE ONLOOKER
07-11-2008, 10:53 PM

Hindi na kailangang malaman ang pangalan ng referee, Kabayang batangueño. Sanay na sanay na ang NABRO's lalo na sa mga taga-Adamson at NU. Naalala mo ba ang nangyari sa UE vs. NU game last season? Ano ang nangyari sa UE nung Finals?

Naniniwala ako sa karma, Pare. :)

bluewing
07-12-2008, 01:20 AM
foe to friend kamo? meron ba talagang atenista bang nagiisisp ng ganun ngayon?* ??? si glock masyadong maligalig ata today. :D

ewan ko sa iba... pero ako hindi ko pa rin kino-consider na "friend" yang mga chefs na yan.

pero aaminin ko, natatawa ako sa ibang mga school ngayon. dahil alam na nila kung ano nararamdaman natin nang ilang taon na.* ;D* ayos yan. at least pare-pareho tayong nayayari sa tawag. swerte lang yata at tayo ngayon ang pinakasanay sa tawag ng NABs dahil nga ilang taon na tayong biktima. so habang di pa tayo natatalo dahil sa palpak na tawagan, sit back-relax-enjoy muna ako.* 8)

Pizza Guy
07-13-2008, 01:20 AM
I still prefer the refs that officiated for our Summer 08 Barangay Games. :P

batangueño
07-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Dumale na naman ang NABRO sa mga laro kahapon. Ang mga walanghiya talaga. ::)

Dark Knight
07-13-2008, 08:24 AM
One thing going for NABRO is they are consistent in calling panty like fouls.

batangueño
07-13-2008, 09:56 AM
One thing going for NABRO is they are consistent in calling panty like fouls.

The referees' officiating is really getting worse and Narvasa and the UAAP board do not even care about it. >:(

bluewing
07-13-2008, 05:35 PM
o ayan na... mainit na ulit sa Ateneo NABRO. back to normal.

joelex
07-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Investing in Ateneo is reaping its dividends right now. They are very much undervalued, still a 4 point underdog to UE which is a coup. They also beat the spread in their first 2 games by a considerable margin.

This 2008 team has the fundamentals to win the crown, and returns after 3 games are highly encouraging. We expect to see spread to be adjusted accordingly now that Ateneo seems to have proven to the market they are for real after a convincing victory over erstwhile unbeaten UE. Nevertheless, Ateneo is still a good choice to win it all this season.

Jump_Shooter
07-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Reminder: this thread is for the spreads in each game. Please discuss your opinion of NABRO in another thread.

danny
07-21-2008, 05:30 PM
I was hoping a bright boy from any UAAP university will create an algorithm to prove/disprove the existence of fraud in the games. The theoretical and analytical framework of the US studies can hopefully be used.

I assume the existence of the Binondo syndicate that supposedly controls NABRO has been effectively shielded from public scrutiny. By whom?

Please do find interest on this undertaking. We can also use this in the other leagues.

THE ONLOOKER
07-21-2008, 10:31 PM
UE is +12.5 favorite over Adamson. ;D

john_paul_manahan
07-22-2008, 12:51 PM
I was hoping a bright boy from any UAAP university will create an algorithm to prove/disprove the existence of fraud in the games. The theoretical and analytical framework of the US studies can hopefully be used.

I assume the existence of the Binondo syndicate that supposedly controls NABRO has been effectively shielded from public scrutiny. By whom?

Please do find interest on this undertaking. We can also use this in the other leagues.

parang si charles epps ang kailangan dito.

glock23
07-22-2008, 03:59 PM
UP was plus 17.5 against ateneo in their last game and i believe the eagles won by 17, so whoever bet for ateneo lost bigtime! :)

bchoter
07-22-2008, 04:11 PM
How did the last couple of minutes go? I wonder if there were "weird" calls :D

glock23
07-22-2008, 07:36 PM
How did the last couple of minutes go? I wonder if there were "weird" calls :D

Sigurado yon pare! ;)

BigBlue
07-22-2008, 11:28 PM
whaddaya know, i found this posted by "Blue_Blazer_10" over at a.net (http://atenista.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8112&st=0&#entry137612), and it might prove useful in our endeavor:

NATIONAL BASKETBALL REFEREES ASSOCIATION (NABRO)
List of 2008 UAAP Referees

Official No. / Name

10 / Tabanag, Bryan
11 / Jimenez, Jerry
12 / Bayais, Juner
13 / Manalac, Boyong
14 / Tolentino, Ruel
15 / Tolentino, Lito
16 / Tan, Rico
18 / Canosa, Bilong
19 / Bermejo, Ronald
20 / Calizar, Mat
21 / Sagum, Zaldy
22 / Santos, Ric
25 / Vergara, Mike
26 / Nagpantay, Nestor
27 / Sanchez, Felix
28 / Villanueva, Hector
29 / Estrada, John

----------------------------------------------------
akalain mo, boyong pala talaga pangalan ni manalac? at referee din pala si john estrada!

Howard the Duck
07-23-2008, 11:37 AM
whaddaya know, i found this posted by "Blue_Blazer_10" over at a.net (http://atenista.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8112&st=0&#entry137612), and it might prove useful in our endeavor:

Official No. / Name

10 / Tabanag, Bryan
11 / Jimenez, Jerry
12 / Bayais, Juner
13 / Manalac, Boyong
14 / Tolentino, Ruel
15 / Tolentino, Lito
16 / Tan, Rico
18 / Canosa, Bilong
19 / Bermejo, Ronald
20 / Calizar, Mat
21 / Sagum, Zaldy
22 / Santos, Ric
25 / Vergara, Mike
26 / Nagpantay, Nestor
27 / Sanchez, Felix
28 / Villanueva, Hector
29 / Estrada, John

akalain mo, boyong pala talaga pangalan ni manalac? at referee din pala si john estrada!

di uso sa NABRO ang single digits ah

si Tabanag ang pinakasenior ah. tapos si john estrada bagito ;D

bchoter
07-23-2008, 11:42 AM
Sino kaya diyan si The Mongolian?

Kid Cubao
07-23-2008, 03:55 PM
^^ si rico tan

bchoter
07-23-2008, 04:35 PM
^ Kaya pala may hawig ng konti kay Rico Yan. Konting konti.

Pano ba sa sabihin sa Bacolod ang 'Tan natin 'to'?

salsa caballero
07-23-2008, 04:55 PM
^^ si rico tan

'Diba may kapangalang ADMU high school ito? 4B na ahead sa iyo, Cubao...

canmaker
07-23-2008, 11:31 PM
ATTORNEE RICO TAN ...

======

^^ si rico tan

'Diba may kapangalang ADMU high school ito? 4B na ahead sa iyo, Cubao...

nextgen
07-27-2008, 12:49 AM
2 sentenced to prison in NBA betting scandal

Saturday, July 26, 2008 02:21 PM
NEW YORK (AP) - Two former high school classmates of disgraced NBA referee Tim Donaghy were both sentenced to more than a year in prison Thursday for their roles in a betting scandal that embarrassed the league.

A federal judge in Brooklyn gave James Battista, a professional gambler and admitted drug addict, 15 months in prison for making bets based on inside tips. Thomas Martino, the scheme's middleman, was sentenced to a year and one day for paying the referee thousands of dollars for the tips.

The men, both 42 and former classmates of Donaghy in Springfield, Pennsylvania, apologized before being sentenced.

"I'm not blaming either one of my co-defendants," Battista said. "I made bad choices."

mangtsito
07-29-2008, 02:31 PM

Official No. / Name

29 / Estrada, John

di uso sa NABRO ang single digits ah

si Tabanag ang pinakasenior ah. tapos si john estrada bagito* ;D

Kilala ko iyang John Estrada. Yan yung humalik kay Gretchen! Kitang kita ko yung piktyur! ;D

bchoter
08-01-2008, 11:47 AM
What were the winning spread and odds in the FEU-ADMU game yesterday?

Can't remember who posted it but I read a post that says just look at the oods and the winning spread and you'll know who'll win the game.

Point Forward
08-04-2008, 12:14 AM
If its for the sake of ANALYSIS, I'd like to suggest that we just put the spreads AFTER the games so at least we're sure of not aiding any gambling initiatives.

No gamblers = no bookies = no syndicates = NO GAME FIXING

glock23
08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
What were the winning spread and odds in the FEU-ADMU game yesterday?

Can't remember who posted it but I read a post that says just look at the oods and the winning spread and you'll know who'll win the game.

Plus 7.5 ang FEU in that game.

danny
08-12-2008, 01:17 AM
If its for the sake of ANALYSIS, I'd like to suggest that we just put the spreads AFTER the games so at least we're sure of not aiding any gambling initiatives.

No gamblers = no bookies = no syndicates = NO GAME FIXING

Where do we start? Ask people not to gamble?

Reminds me of the utopian soc dem mantra. "Change ourselves first before we change the world."* In other words, magtiis na lang muna hanggang hindi pa nagbabago ang mga sugarol.

This is precisely what the sydicate understand about human nature.* Put the burden on the people. They are simply offering what the market is asking for.

Ask ABS CBN. They understand that the dumbing of the masses is good business. Why produce a good documentary when dumbing the masses is much more profitable.

Ergo, the masses must educate themselves before* the media will* change their content.
Just like the idea that people should stop* gambling so that the sydicate (who are big time gamblers themselves) will stop the manipulation.

dieselbirdie
08-12-2008, 10:10 PM
In so saying... the UAAP has no credibility since the outcome is manipulated. Safe to say it's a farce?

danny
08-13-2008, 12:47 AM
In so saying... the UAAP has no credibility since the outcome is manipulated. Safe to say it's a farce?

Nope. Not exactly. They will* try to manipulate some players and the zebras to get the desired spread/outcome.* Other factors may derail the expected spread/outcome. However, it is safe to say that a gambling syndicate* has penetrated the collegiate leagues, not* just the UAAP.

We do not live in a perfect world. Nothing is really "credible". What can be done is to* minimize the power of the gambling syndicate. Rather than simply asking people not to gamble (to make gambling into a losing proposition),* the syndicate must be directly and indirectly engaged.

The final outcome? We can find all sorts of reason to make us believe it's a farce. "Maiinit ang venue" is one.* In Beijing, it's the pollution. Full contact karate in* NCAA Basketball is another. The outcome is always questionable especially if you are at the losing end.

In this case, the outcome of the game is not the primary focus. It's the spread.

dieselbirdie
08-13-2008, 08:42 AM

Nope. Not exactly. They will* try to manipulate some players and the zebras to get the desired spread/outcome.* Other factors may derail the expected spread/outcome. However, it is safe to say that a gambling syndicate* has penetrated the collegiate leagues, not* just the UAAP.

We do not live in a perfect world. Nothing is really "credible". What can be done is to* minimize the power of the gambling syndicate. Rather than simply asking people not to gamble (to make gambling into a losing proposition),* the syndicate must be directly and indirectly engaged.

The final outcome? We can find all sorts of reason to make us believe it's a farce. "Maiinit ang venue" is one.* In Beijing, it's the pollution. Full contact karate in* NCAA Basketball is another. The outcome is always questionable especially if you are at the losing end.

In this case, the outcome of the game is not the primary focus. It's the spread.

But manipulating the spread does affect the outcome of the game i.e deliberate missed shots, phantom calls, deliberately benching a player and making bum plays etc. This has a direct correlation and as such affect results and may even and most likely determine win lose scenario. Carry that over to the final 4... and worse the finals. People, not the weather, malign the integrity of the game. The spirit of the game and sportsmanship is therefore bastardized.

What's more disconcerting is the UAAP board's tendency to look the other way and they can only make excuses. At the end of the day, who is willing to terminate these syndicates? We all know who they are and where they operate but I guess we need Batman or Spiderman to do the job for us. ::)

bluetruck
08-13-2008, 07:25 PM
it's also very noticeable that in crucial games some refs make momentum breaking calls whenever a team threatens to pull away or make a serious run. they try to keep the game close and within their control. again it's a case of playing the odds / spreads.

danny
08-14-2008, 04:11 AM
But manipulating the spread does affect the outcome of the game i.e* deliberate missed shots, phantom calls, deliberately benching a player and making bum plays etc. This has a direct correlation and as such affect results and may even and most likely determine win lose scenario. Carry that over to the final 4... and worse the finals. People, not the weather, malign the integrity of the game. The spirit of the game and sportsmanship is therefore bastardized.

What's more disconcerting is the UAAP board's tendency to look the other way and they can only make excuses. At the end of the day, who is willing to terminate these syndicates? We all know who they are and where they operate but I guess we need Batman or Spiderman to do the job for us.* ::)

Direct correlation is different from causality.* They are two different econometric concepts. The length of of a skirt is correlated to the general health of the stock market* in the US. They are correlated but do not exhibit causality.

People in Beijing created the pollution. That's causality. But the impact of the pollution may or may not be correlated to the outcome of a game.

If the win itself and not just the winning spread is being manipulated, then we have a problem.* It's easier to manipulate the winning spread. But manipulating the final winner or loser is a bit too obvious. Thus, the spread is more prone to manipulation.

You know who they are? An NBI tip will be of great help.

Again, if this is known, why is the UAAP not taking this seriously? A player has been shot already. What more are you guys asking for?* Wait for the UAAP fortunes to decline. Then they will act. That's going to take a long time at this point. Money talks.

If you are waiting for a hero, then you will find none. Why rock the boat when everyone is still happy. The UAAP management, the syndicate and the small time sugarols seem to get along. Most people are happy to put the blame on a single person, Narvasa. Exactly what members of the syndicate would prefer.

They don't care about the basketball purists. Not much money to be made in that market.

theunderdog
08-14-2008, 10:26 AM
i suggest we close this thread na lang. para kasing binibigyan pa natin ng daan yung mga nagsusugal at nagpapasugal e. sarado na lang natin.

THE ONLOOKER
08-21-2008, 10:10 PM
If I am not mistaken, one of the referees who officiated the UE vs UST game last Saturday was our "favorite" Boyong Mañalac. Boyong, may lambing sa dulo... Yong. ;D

Favorite ko na rin siya after UP vs. Adamson round 2 game. ;)

Hindi pa ba nasisilip ng NBI ito?

bluewing
08-21-2008, 10:41 PM
ano ang spread nung first game kanina? + 40 Adamson?

glock23
08-22-2008, 12:12 AM

Di naman siguro, baka may gusto lang ipahiwatig si ONLOOKER. ;)

THE ONLOOKER
08-25-2008, 01:19 PM

Di naman siguro, baka may gusto lang ipahiwatig si ONLOOKER. ;)

UP, obviously, won their game versus Adamson whether the officiating is fair or "not". Adamson had difficulty to score outside but they have tons of opportunities inside but wasn't even credited for a foul even it was very, very clear. Our favorite ref obviously ate his whistle all game long and just slapped foul after foul to UP with five minutes remaining in the game. Ika nga nila, naka-quota na at wala naman ng habol. ;D

He quietly made some magic too on the DLSU vs. FEU game, and most of the audience heard and will agree that Boyong's calls drew "boos" from the crowd. Dapat nga naman magpalakas ang NABRO's sa next season's host para ma-retain ang services nila, di ba? ;D

I hope the officiating will improve next season, and it is a must to preserve the integrity of the league. A PBA conference have just ended and lucky for them, they have no officiating problems/protests whatsoever even after the championship.

batangueño
08-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Pwede bang pakitingnan si Sanchez (NABRO Referee 27), yung hobbit? "Bestfriend" yan ng UP eh, most especially ni Woody Co. ;)