PDA

View Full Version : LSGH Greenies(or Junior Blazers)

Pages : 1 [2]

thel3ast
10-21-2011, 05:43 PM
@ Thomas Torres:

I remember someone from PEx mentioned that Thomas Torres is interested in UP.

I was that guy who mentioned Thomas about going to UP. Nothing's definite, it was just a rumor. Now, I've been hearing that he might go to Ateneo this time. Once again not sure but just a mere hearsay. I've been hearing nothing about him going to either La Salle school. I try asking him but he just shrugs or says he doesn't know. :D Wherever he decides to go, I'll be happy for him. He is my friend after all.

One thing I didn't like about the LSGH's game is their decision making in the dying minutes. They were still up as Letran was catching up. They should've burnt more time in the shot clock, swerte lang talaga na pumasok yung tres ni Bonleon.

Honestly, I don't think LSGH can win this series against San Beda, they're just too strong. But if they can at least grab one game, that would make LSGH prove their point that they will be a force to be reckoned with next season. Paras has a great basketball IQ especially on the defensive end. He doesn't really get touches on offense but when he does, he can deliver. Ramilo might develop like Torres. He has decent range, nice slashing skills and so-so defense. He still has a lot of years to work on his flaws, he's only 2nd year. Charles Yap is a steady slasher. Gelo Vito needs to toughen up down low but he usually gets in good positions for some rebounds.

irishwhip
10-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Don't worry coach John will surely develop these young kids to become better players and persons. I am sure he will give at least one championship for LSGH before he leaves.

fujitsu
10-21-2011, 08:57 PM
bonleon and abatayo know each other very well. having played against each other well before they reach stardom in juniors basketball. between the two of them, bonleon has the edge.

AltarBoy^_^
10-22-2011, 02:31 AM
I truly wish I could watch a finals game but work hinders me to support the Greenies live! :'(

I'm sure San Beda wouldn't mind hearing GO LASALLE and ANIMO LASALLE cheers, what worries me is the rest of MANCOM taking a poke at the Pep Squad, and unlike in the UAAP where the Lasalle pep squads can unite, this league prohibits an organized support from other schools like DLSU & DLSZ. Only the CSB Green Peppers can help out if up to a second or third game if possible.

I'm just glad LSGH joined the big dance! After all, they were in the NCAA long before CSB took over Lasalle's seniors spot! ;D

MonL
10-22-2011, 10:33 AM
I'm just glad LSGH joined the big dance! After all, they were in the NCAA long before CSB took over Lasalle's seniors spot! ;D

True. And long ago from the ranks of the Greenies rose junior players such as:

1) Roseller (Yeng) Guiao
2) Mitchell Gumabao aka Dennis Roldan
3) Joseph 'Jong' Uichico and
4) Elmer Reyes

There are more but those are the ones that come to mind, from my time.

reforms
10-23-2011, 06:38 AM
^I believe I was able to watch Artadi of LSGH battle it out with LA Tenorio of San Beda High, during my freshman year in SBC.

Usually the Jrs. play before the Srs. game at that time.

jayts
10-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Yes, Artadi is LSGH batch 99

@MonL

I believe Tonichi Pujante and Junel Baculi were part of the 78-79 NCAA team.

AltarBoy^_^
10-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Congrats to the Greenies for taking Game 1! One game at a time boys!

Bonleon was struggling in this game and it's a good thing Villaruiz took over scoring chores as Thomas Torres was struggling to score since he was well defended. The revelation in this game is Andrei Paras with his timely rebounds and freethrows, but the last two minutes were nightmarish as they failed to convert their FTs. LSGH needs to rebound more and find the open man to score. Their offense has lapses and their defense needs refinement. At least they broke the winning streak of the Red Cubs. They can still try to win again and keep their heads up high when they lose! :)

FAITH IN THE FLAME!!!
ANIMO BENILDE!!!
ANIMO LASALLE!!!

BedanRoar
10-24-2011, 08:37 PM
It's a best of three series now...Great Game for your Jr Team.

Joescoundrel
10-25-2011, 07:09 AM
I have many good Bedan friends, but let me just say that I am very happy with this Game 1 win by Lasalle Greenhills, because an even older friend whom I first knew as head coach of the Ateneo Lady Eagles, not only made the NCAA Junior Finals but also beat arguably the best high school team in the country in Game 1.

Congratulations, John Flores.

In the words of our beloved Cochi, "Pongalangala ka, nakachamba ka na naman..." ;D

Ahura Mazda
10-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Dalawang chamba pa para sa Greenies! ;D

jembengzon
10-25-2011, 09:42 AM
I have many good Bedan friends, but let me just say that I am very happy with this Game 1 win by Lasalle Greenhills, because an even older friend whom I first knew as head coach of the Ateneo Lady Eagles, not only made the NCAA Junior Finals but also beat arguably the best high school team in the country in Game 1.

Congratulations, John Flores.

In the words of our beloved Cochi, "Pongalangala ka, nakachamba ka na naman..." ;D

second the motion on all counts, joe :)

bigfreeze_bibby
10-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Actually natawa ako sa celebration ni Coach John kahapon. Kung medyo bata-bata pa siya, he would have jiggied there sa courtside.

San Beda will come back strong and dito dapat mag-ingat ang LSGH. They should double, triple, and quadruple their efforts if they want to win the championship. Baka maging Lion and Cub niyan for the next two games. Never rest on their laurels and always go for the kill.

AltarBoy^_^
10-25-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm sure Coach Brit will make adjustments and the Red Cubs will be fired up to finish the Greenies and avoid a game 3. Sana nga lang si Coach Jon eh makagawa pa ng milagro para mai-extend sa game 3! One more win please! Tapos mag-dougie ka na lang coach kahit olats! :D

Natawa ako at may banner ng GO LASALLE sa upper box seats! Eh allergic ang NCAA MANCOM sa name kaya CSB-LSGH ang dala na pangalan ng Greenies sa liga! ;D

Mhel_Garrido
10-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Congrats!!! Would you believe I am tracking the success of the Greenies.
Congrats to my good friend John Flores I honestly pray you go all the way!
Kaya niyo yan!

oca
10-25-2011, 10:46 PM
We can only speculate who decided and how was it decided not to have game 2 tomorrow/Oct 26 and instead have it Oct 31.

That scheduling, imo, dissipates any momentum LSGH can carry over to game 2, and the days in between allows the Red Cubs struct will illness leading to game 1 to recover more fully.

The Bedans are not offering excuses, but Abatayo played less than 5 minutes in the 1st half. So was Tolentino, who also sat the bench to start the 2nd half and sent it with less than 3 minutes in the 3qtr. That should make anyone who have seen the Red Cubs before ask why? Someone at the Den said Abatayo was sick and hasn't fully recovered by game time. Now they have a whole week to recover.

But there are still a number of good things the Greenies did in game 1 which they can repeat in the next game-

-Continue to spread the minutes. Torres, Bonleon and Vito played less minutes in game 1 compared to their 2nd rd game vs the Red Cubs. This fielding of players is the most commendable thing Coach Flores did in this game, imo. Pagdating ng end game mas mabilis humabol sa bola ang LSGH.
-Complementing the above, inalagaan ng Greenies ang fouls nila. No one had to ride the bench due to foul trouble-- malaking bagay in keeping the right defensive match-ups.
-The Greenies took less 3-ptrs in this game compared to each of the 2 elim games vs the RC. Tama yan, go for better percentage shots.

Ang huwag nang uulitin:

-Bonleon should play better defense. Allowing Patenio to score off him consecutively at the start of the game will not help the team. Buti na lang at nakalimutang ibalik ni Britt Reroma si Patenio sa end game.
-Huwag niyo na uulitin yung i-mintis ang lahat ng free throws sa end game. Next time niyong gawin yan, iiyak na kayo.

Nakakainip maghintay ng game 2.... ang tagal.

AltarBoy^_^
10-25-2011, 11:39 PM
Sir oca, I wouldn't have it any other way than to fight tooth and nail for PRIDE & HONOR against a complete Red Cubs team! It is enough that they ended their losing streak against SBC and I pray that they still have the STRENGTH and the MOMENTUM to take it to GAME 3! I just hope they can make adjustments to keep the Red Cubs at bay! The Greenies will take this opportunity to rest and prepare!

FAITH IN THE FLAME!!!
ANIMO BENILDE!!!
ANIMO LASALLE!!!

bigfreeze_bibby
10-26-2011, 11:44 AM
Masyadong matagal ang alagwang binigay ng NCAA for Game 2. It really worries me now as San Beda can have the luxury of re-grouping themselves for a strong push next week.

Sana maka-tsamba ng dalawa pa hehe.

Problema talaga ni Bonleon depensa. Hindi ko alam kung tinatamad lang o wala talagang depensa sa katawan niya hehe.

AltarBoy^_^
10-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Masyadong matagal ang alagwang binigay ng NCAA for Game 2. It really worries me now as San Beda can have the luxury of re-grouping themselves for a strong push next week.

Sana maka-tsamba ng dalawa pa hehe.

Problema talaga ni Bonleon depensa. Hindi ko alam kung tinatamad lang o wala talagang depensa sa katawan niya hehe.

I think Studio 23 wants to make amends by featuring this game on a holiday. Especially that LSGH has risen to the finals for the very first time. Henry may also have something to do with this schedule and the Red Cubs may need to recuperate and be healthy for Monday. I truly wish they played awhile ago but wrestling for timeslot with the PBA in Smart Araneta becomes stressful and unfair.

But I do hope Lasallians from different schools systems will come out to support the Greenies if ever they can take it to a Game 3. The Flying V Arena is conveniently located near LSGH so the league must be milking this series. :-\

easter
10-27-2011, 07:40 AM
Will Studio 23 show the next games live? At a minimum mat dalawang laro pa ito.

oca
10-27-2011, 08:03 AM
Sir oca, I wouldn't have it any other way than to fight tooth and nail for PRIDE & HONOR against a complete Red Cubs team! It is enough that they ended their losing streak against SBC and I pray that they still have the STRENGTH and the MOMENTUM to take it to GAME 3! I just hope they can make adjustments to keep the Red Cubs at bay! The Greenies will take this opportunity to rest and prepare!

FAITH IN THE FLAME!!!
ANIMO BENILDE!!!
ANIMO LASALLE!!!

In Borgie Hermida's last year as a Red Cub, the team was crippled with the lost of Mikee Victorino to injury. The latter a very important player and has proven to be a game changer many times over during that season. The Staglets would win that season, but there was no asterisk affixed to their title stating that the RC were lacking a key player.

In Garvo Lanete's last season as a Red Cub, he was injured. He was a key player in that team. The Staglets would win that season, but there was no asterisk affixed to their title stating that the RC were lacking a key player.

My point?

You didn't poison a Red Cub team that had about 5 or 6 kids sent to confinement a few days before Game 1. Keeping everyone healthy is a team responsibility. The Red Cubs managemant failed in taking diligent effort to assure the kids take clean food and uncontaminated water.

Opponents are within their good sense of judgement to take advantage of every situation that comes their way.

If it is LSGH who asked that game 2 be on Oct 31 as this would allow more La Salle alumni to attend the game, that is like inviting defeat, imo. Having game 2 Wednesday/ Oct 26 at 9am would have not accorded the Red Cubs time to recover. If the Red Cubs had asked for a favorable schedule, LSGH has every right to protest.

I wouldn't detail what a healthy Red Cub line up is capable of doing, the La Salle community will find it out themselves. I am not saying the LSGH has no chance of winning the championship. In an earlier post, I pointed out things they should do to win again in game 2.

But consider this, in Game 1 masama pa ang pakiramdam ng ilang Red Cubs pero ang score ay may pagitan lang ng isang conversion. ;)

Nakakainip... tagal pa ng October 31.

oca
10-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Will Studio 23 show the next games live? At a minimum mat dalawang laro pa ito.

In recent seasons, they did showed it live even if it is the only game for the day.

LION
10-27-2011, 09:39 AM
^^

Agree with you, oca.

The Red Cubs is a legendary and proud team. They will not demean themselves by making a big issue out of the medical condition of a number of Red Cubs. Yes, it may be discussed perhaps every now and then by fans but by and large, it will not be an excuse like there were no excuses in the past.

There will be no asterisks if LSGH will take this series. Coach Brit Reroma is a fine young man. Iba ang San Beda sa mga ewan na eskwelahan sa NCAA. Mga sore losers lang naman ang mahilig sa mga asterisks.

Joescoundrel
10-27-2011, 09:56 AM
Bonleon has already improved this year on his defense because at least now he plays it HALF the time, unlike in previous seasons when he left defense to the underlings... :-X I'm sure John Flores will work this out sooner rather than later. Bonleon is a fine player, might not be an explosive athlete but he is a solid player who can make a college roster easily. If he actually takes his defense seriously he might become a Top 5 recruit.

Speaking of which, who are the graduating players for the Greenies...? Will Bonleon and Villaruz be back next year or tapos na sila?

oca
10-27-2011, 10:50 AM
Bonleon has already improved this year on his defense because at least now he plays it HALF the time, unlike in previous seasons when he left defense to the underlings... :-X I'm sure John Flores will work this out sooner rather than later. Bonleon is a fine player, might not be an explosive athlete but he is a solid player who can make a college roster easily. If he actually takes his defense seriously he might become a Top 5 recruit.

Speaking of which, who are the graduating players for the Greenies...? Will Bonleon and Villaruz be back next year or tapos na sila?

Liisted as 4th yr hs students are: Torres, Villaruz, Marcial and Sta.Clara.

lekiboy
10-27-2011, 10:52 AM
i get to talk to one of the staff last night - IBABAON DAW GREENIES sa next games... ISKEYRI!
Good luck sa teams...sana walang ma injure-. bilog pa din naman ang bola. :)

Joescoundrel
10-27-2011, 01:40 PM

Liisted as 4th yr hs students are: Torres, Villaruz, Marcial and Sta.Clara.

Hmm... that means Coach John can still work around Bonleon, Paras and Vito next season, and hopefully a few of the boys in their BTeam that saw action in the Fr Martin Cup under Coach Amador. The Pumaren kid in the B Team looks like he could contribute right away.

gfy
10-27-2011, 05:54 PM
I was told that there was an earlier agreement to hold the first game at 10 am yesterday but Araneta begged off in that they could not guarantee that they could clear the Coliseum that early (Charice concert yata the previous night). There was also discussion about holding the finals at Blue Eagle gym so it would be over before Undas but the host school didn't approve. The Arena was also not available this week.

fujitsu
10-27-2011, 07:39 PM
hindi ba tapos yung gym sa MOA. baka pwede dun.

oca
10-27-2011, 10:06 PM
I was told that there was an earlier agreement to hold the first game at 10 am yesterday but Araneta begged off in that they could not guarantee that they could clear the Coliseum that early (Charice concert yata the previous night). There was also discussion about holding the finals at Blue Eagle gym so it would be over before Undas but the host school didn't approve. The Arena was also not available this week.

Tadhana?

AltarBoy^_^
10-28-2011, 03:53 AM

FAITH IN THE FLAME!!!
ANIMO BENILDE!!!
ANIMO LASALLE!!!

In Borgie Hermida's last year as a Red Cub, the team was crippled with the lost of Mikee Victorino to injury. The latter a very important player and has proven to be a game changer many times over during that season. The Staglets would win that season, but there was no asterisk affixed to their title stating that the RC were lacking a key player.

In Garvo Lanete's last season as a Red Cub, he was injured. He was a key player in that team. The Staglets would win that season, but there was no asterisk affixed to their title stating that the RC were lacking a key player.

My point?

You didn't poison a Red Cub team that had about 5 or 6 kids sent to confinement a few days before Game 1. Keeping everyone healthy is a team responsibility. The Red Cubs managemant failed in taking diligent effort to assure the kids take clean food and uncontaminated water.

Opponents are within their good sense of judgement to take advantage of every situation that comes their way.

If it is LSGH who asked that game 2 be on Oct 31 as this would allow more La Salle alumni to attend the game, that is like inviting defeat, imo. Having game 2 Wednesday/ Oct 26 at 9am would have not accorded the Red Cubs time to recover. If the Red Cubs had asked for a favorable schedule, LSGH has every right to protest.

I wouldn't detail what a healthy Red Cub line up is capable of doing, the La Salle community will find it out themselves. I am not saying the LSGH has no chance of winning the championship. In an earlier post, I pointed out things they should do to win again in game 2.

But consider this, in Game 1 masama pa ang pakiramdam ng ilang Red Cubs pero ang score ay may pagitan lang ng isang conversion. ;)

Nakakainip... tagal pa ng October 31.

The point for me right now sir is simple, I would rather see the LSGH Greenies FIGHT for it with all the WILL & SKILL that they can deliver and let FATE smile upon them to take it further.

I think it is truly unfair to put asterisks. A win is a win sir.

I also believe that this Red Cubs team could end it by Monday. Hell, they could annihilate the Greenies from the opening buzzer! The Greenies truly struggled to survive a resilient Red Cubs oozing with talent and a program unmatched. We can only feel admiration and a bold future for a team that consistently achieves as we jumpstart our own long-term program to get back the GLORY that was lost. The fruit of this long wait is what you see before you, an opponent that will TRY.

But make no mistake sir about LSGH Alumni wanting to troop to the Arena to watch them play, because some of them may not care much about DEFEAT. 56 years since they last tasted a crown, and they could count more if the Greenies falter again. But it does not diminish the RESPECT and ANIMO of the Lasallian community and instead, rally themselves to support this team deemed worthy to challenge a defending champion!

IMHO, GLORY is being relived with their entry to the finals! The PRIDE & HONOR of doing battle for the juniors crown is a FULFILLMENT in itself sir! And the Lasallians going there to CHEER their team is an invigorated lot!

GLORY can wait if need be sir, but understand WHY they still go. FAITH is something that must be RENEWED in order to WIN. After all, the schools locked in battle right now are also allies and share the richness of their traditions to win and to honor their alma mater every chance they can get. And for this brief moment, out of 10 schools battling for months, two remain to fight for their respective ANIMO! ;)

FAITH IN THE FLAME!!!
ANIMO BENILDE!!!
ANIMO LASALLE!!!

bchoter
10-28-2011, 01:56 PM
sa UST nalang. sabay derecho ng tryout sa Tigers

AltarBoy^_^
10-29-2011, 05:49 AM
sa UST nalang. sabay derecho ng tryout sa Tigers

Speaking of UST, I think the Tigers and the Knights should do some "resource-sharing" in their respective programs so as to avoid an "exodus" of great players since they are both being run by the Dominicans. ;)

LION
10-30-2011, 09:00 AM
^ Good idea. Since the Tigers have an over supply of foreign players, perhaps they can afford to ship the least impressive to the Knights. ;D

Quid pro quo, the "blue chip" Squires who don't want to stay and want to play in the UAAP instead can go to UST and not elsewhere.

Take this with a grain of salt, brothers. ;D

bigfreeze_bibby
10-30-2011, 10:17 AM
^ Good idea. Since the Tigers have an over supply of foreign players, perhaps they can afford to ship the least impressive to the Knights. ;D

Quid pro quo, the "blue chip" Squires who don't want to stay and want to play in the UAAP instead can go to UST and not elsewhere.

Off-topic: Paano yung pari dun sa Muralla? Hehe. ;D

animo
10-30-2011, 11:21 AM

Off-topic: Paano yung pari dun sa Muralla? Hehe. ;D

that's easy... ship back to espaŮa ;D

irishwhip
10-30-2011, 06:04 PM
I am just happy that this tread keep on buzzing again....thanks to coach John!

Joescoundrel
10-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Tuloy ba Game 2 today kahit pyesta opisyal...?

bigfreeze_bibby
10-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Tuloy ba Game 2 today kahit pyesta opisyal...?

Papa Joe. As far as I know, tuloy ang Game 2 today.

bigfreeze_bibby
10-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Games 2 and 3 of the Juniors Finals Series will not be televised.

Spikermike
10-31-2011, 05:26 PM
What a cardiac game it was today, with the Red Cubs coming out on top 74-73.

Congratulations for putting up a great fight earlier this afternoon. This is a different LSGH Greenies team
that we, the San Beda faithful, have seen in our two lopsided wins in the eliminations.

Both coaches made some adjustments from last game. Let's all enjoy a good series!

izon
10-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Hope the coach and his assistant of this Greenies team be made coaching staff of the Blazers or the Archers in the future. Very impressed with them.

LION
10-31-2011, 10:35 PM
We saw a very impressive LSGH team this afternoon. Torres is good but he needs to control his temper. Laro lang and don't be affected by the refs' calls.

Andre Paras is also good. Like a shorter Van Opstal with perimeter shooting. Pag naturuan ang batang ito e gagaling pa ng husto. His dad was known for his power moves. The younger Paras is more of a finesse player.

Si Benet Palad pala e assistant coach sa LSGH. ;D

AltarBoy^_^
11-01-2011, 05:19 AM
It's a good thing it's not an annihilation! A great match worth watching live since it revives a team that relives its glory days and a team consistently crowned. Sigh, if only we had TV coverage for this finals. :(

fujitsu
11-01-2011, 09:38 AM
OT lang. abs/studio 23 under estimated the team so probably they did not schedule any live coverage anymore. i think they treat ncaa as not as profitable as uaap.

easter
11-01-2011, 10:23 AM
Andre Paras is also good. Like a shorter Van Opstal with perimeter shooting. Pag naturuan ang batang ito e gagaling pa ng husto. His dad was known for his power moves. The younger Paras is more of a finesse player.

Para ngang the Paras kid has better big man fundamentals than Van Opstal at the same stage of their careers. Or baka nga even now parang mas maganda pa din yung fundamentals ni Paras.

Joescoundrel
11-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Pasalamat talaga kay John Flores. This is the same man who turned the Ateneo "Kikay" Eagles into two-time UAAP champions as head coach. Cassandra Tioseco wasn't exactly the hot recruit of her high school class as a thin and gangling center but John and his staff turned her into a UAAP MVP. What'd I say about this guy having what it takes to turn potential into production?

Spikermike
11-01-2011, 10:41 AM
OT lang. abs/studio 23 under estimated the team so probably they did not schedule any live coverage anymore. i think they treat ncaa as not as profitable as uaap.

To my knowledge, the uaap jrs finals was also not covered by abscbn. the "funny" scheduling of the jrs finals is probably partly to blame.

irishwhip
11-01-2011, 05:30 PM
@joescoundrel: Swerte ang LSGH and they did the right decision to get Coach John Flores. He will sure develop this LSGH team to become champions one day in the NCAA. I am also optimistic that he can develop the players to be more fundamentally sound. Kung sa college ng Ateneo Lady Eagles puro skill development lalo na siguro sa HS division.

Malaking bagay din ang 5 niyang assistant coaches back in the Lady Eagles' last championship since those 5 assistants were also Head Coaches of their respective teams.

Sana lang wag gawin ng LSGH ang ginawa ng Ateneo para sure na mapa-champion niya ng LSGH.

I expect Coach John Flores to coach one day in the Men's Division and in the pro's.

easter
11-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Guys DLSU din ba ang roots ni coach John Flores?

AltarBoy^_^
11-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Guys DLSU din ba ang roots ni coach John Flores?

I vaguely remember the commentator in game 1 mentioned that Coach Flores coached for Universtiy of St. Lasalle, Bacolod but I don't exactly know if that's where he officially started or if he studied for a Lasalle school before his coaching stint. Sir joescoundrel could probably give us a brief history of this miracle worker for the Lady Eagles and the Greenies!

Take it away sir Joe! ;D

irishwhip
11-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Coach John first stint was with USLS Bacolod where he was an assistant to coach Ricky Dandan. With them were also coach Rico Perez (now head of basketball operation at LSGH) and former NU Bulldogs head coach Manny Dandan. John also coached the young HS team of USLS.

After USLS, John served as head coach of a High School team in Ateneo then moved to the Ateneo Lady Eagles.

Some other stints of coach John was being an assistant coach to Ricky Dandan in the Manila Metrostars.

So experience-wise John has a big advantage. It will be great to see what he can do to the LSGH program in 2-3 years where player development is his real specialty. Might add also his strength in practice organization.

Not bad for a 1st stint in LSGH...It was still a successful season by LSGH!

bigfreeze_bibby
11-08-2011, 02:29 PM
If everything goes out well, magiging maganda talaga panoorin ang LSGH 2-3 years from now.

AltarBoy^_^
11-09-2011, 04:20 AM
If everything goes out well, magiging maganda talaga panoorin ang LSGH 2-3 years from now.

At sana magiging maganda panoorin LSGH, DLSZ, CSB at DLSU na parating Final Four contender or contender sa finals. I'm still dreaming of that one big bonfire from Greenhills, to Taft, and towards Alabang! ;)

The_Big_Cat
11-09-2011, 02:31 PM

The Twin Towers in their Team B.

AltarBoy^_^
11-09-2011, 04:44 PM

The Twin Towers in their Team B.

Sir sino yang twin towers? ???

The_Big_Cat
11-10-2011, 02:14 PM
^forgot their names. At least 6'5"/6'6" ang height ng dalawa.

jayts
11-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Are you referring to Tsaddy Rangel and Jedd Magno? Both are still in the aspirants/passarelle team. Tsaddy is a freshman and Jedd i think is either a freshman or a sophomore. I am really looking forward to the development of these two kids who are at least 6'5 and still growing. However, i am not sure if its wise to elevate them to the NCAA team next season since we still have the front line of Vito, Paras and Barrera. I rather see them play and develop in team b rather than ride the bench in the NCAA. But that just my humble opinion. I am pretty sure coach John already has plans for these two kids. Either way, i'm sure we will see them in NCAA in a year or two.

izon
11-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Are you referring to Tsaddy Rangel and Jedd Magno? Both are still in the aspirants/passarelle team. Tsaddy is a freshman and Jedd i think is either a freshman or a sophomore. I am really looking forward to the development of these two kids who are at least 6'5 and still growing. However, i am not sure if its wise to elevate them to the NCAA team next season since we still have the front line of Vito, Paras and Barrera. I rather see them play and develop in team b rather than ride the bench in the NCAA. But that just my humble opinion. I am pretty sure coach John already has plans for these two kids. Either way, i'm sure we will see them in NCAA in a year or two.

Wow ! Future Green Archers.

oca
11-17-2011, 07:07 AM

This is long overdue. Kahit matyaga at pacencioso ka, napakatagal na yang dagdag na paghihintay.

I say this taking into account how good the LSGH teams are in the age group tournaments like Pasarelle and PRADA. For the longest time I can recall they are perennial contenders in these leagues and actually won numerous titles. One can't help to ask kung bakit walang follow through sa NCAA?

Next year is the most opportune time for the Greenies to win the NCAA Jrs crown.

Though they are losing Torres to graduation but there will still be 6 or 7 holdovers from the main rotation, and I have seen the Pasarelle team this year maraming magaling at matangkad who can complement the "veterans".

Mas maganda panoorin ang LSGH next year if they believe they can win the NCAA crown mismo.

Huwag na ipagpaliban!

Joescoundrel
11-18-2011, 09:12 AM

Isn't there another kid here who is also around 6'5"? I think he's only 13 years old, was in one of the Junior NBA Camps back in the summer. I forgot his name, very lean and lanky kid, still had bad feet and bad hands, but was agile and can dunk with either hand, couldn't dunk two-handed though, forgot his name, I'm only sure it was neither Magno nor Rangel...

thel3ast
02-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Imagine if Villaruz was able to play most of this season, we could have had a better elimination round record. :D But oh well, glad that they fought hard to the end anyway.

There's a list posted in the FMAC for the players currently in the NCAA training pool. Kobe Paras is in the list as well as a couple of Passarelle members are on the list. According to my sources, Kobe Paras is more of a slasher than a shooter and he relies heavily on his athleticism.

There's no shortage on offense for next year's team. They'll still have Charles Yap, Mario Bonleon, Andre Paras and Victor Ramilo to carry it. Malay niyo, may gagaling sa kanila at dadagdag lang sa opensa.

Thank you to my 4 batch mates for making history in a legendary LSGH NCAA campaign. Good luck sa inyo sa college san man kayo pumunta!! I think only 2 of them will continue playing basketball in college, and both are most likely going to the UAAP. ;)

anghusay
02-19-2012, 03:18 PM
diba Kobe Paras transferred to Ateneo? does this mean he is going back to LSGH?

bluegreen
02-21-2012, 04:09 PM
LSGH or CSB Juniors Team Coaching Staff is being beefed up with the inclusion of Coach Benjie Sipin who will be transferring to the Greenies as Asst. Coach under Coach John Flores. He joins Bennet Palad also on the bench. Coach Benjie is currently Head Coach of the UA&P, and was former Head Coach for PRADA for Ateneo De Manila University, Asst. Coach of the Ateneo Lady Eagles in the UAAP and Asst. Coach for Coca-Cola in the PBA. He should bring a lot of experience onto the LSGH/CSB Jrs bench for the coming NCAA wars.

AltarBoy^_^
02-28-2012, 03:31 AM
Congratulations to the LSGH Green Booters for capturing their 10th straight football crown against the formidable SBC HS Red Cubs in the NCAA junior's football tourney! They are on their way to clinch the junior's general championship trophy as well with this achievement! :)

Sam Miguel
06-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Mar Bonleon is the real deal and college ready right now. Unfortunately he won't be able to pad his stats in John Flores' system, which will make his MVP candidacy dicey.

Andre and Kobe Paras both look legitimately 6-foot-2 at least, might even be 6-foot-3. Both kids are strong dunkers and not just stuff-shot dunkers. Kobe also has a neat stroke from all the way out to the three-point arc.

Tsaddy Rangel needs to get stronger, not necessarily beefier although that would help, but stronger. At 6-foot-5 he seems to be only 160 pounds, and can use at least another 30 pounds of meaningful muscle.

There are two other boys who will make LSGH a legit contender this season, Mercado and Yap, who both play the perimeter very well.

And of course big boy Vito is expected back before opening day.

Finally, what ever happened to that Tabaldo (did I get that surname right...?) boy?

yungha
06-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Sam, if i'm not mistaken the mercado kid is breezy mercado, kid bro of former eaglet and current glory be player marky.

paddleman10
06-06-2012, 11:33 PM
Yungha, slight correction. Enzo and Marky are first cousins.

james_hunt
06-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Coach John Flores was very happy with the latest 'gift' that landed in Green Hills...:D

david64
06-16-2012, 07:28 PM
We're glad Coach John is happy....

paddleman10
06-17-2012, 06:44 AM
Are you referring to Robert Bolick? If so, what position does he play?

The_Big_Cat
06-18-2012, 12:05 PM
Mar Bonleon is the real deal and college ready right now. Unfortunately he won't be able to pad his stats in John Flores' system, which will make his MVP candidacy dicey.

Andre and Kobe Paras both look legitimately 6-foot-2 at least, might even be 6-foot-3. Both kids are strong dunkers and not just stuff-shot dunkers. Kobe also has a neat stroke from all the way out to the three-point arc.

Tsaddy Rangel needs to get stronger, not necessarily beefier although that would help, but stronger. At 6-foot-5 he seems to be only 160 pounds, and can use at least another 30 pounds of meaningful muscle.

There are two other boys who will make LSGH a legit contender this season, Mercado and Yap, who both play the perimeter very well.

And of course big boy Vito is expected back before opening day.

Finally, what ever happened to that Tabaldo (did I get that surname right...?) boy?

Is Tsaddy Rangel related to former Red Lion Tyrone Rangel? Tyrone was a 6'1-6'3" wiry forward for SBC.

james_hunt
06-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Are you referring to Robert Bolick? If so, what position does he play?

Can play 1-2-3 in HS if he wants to. A man among boys...

paddleman10
06-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Do you know his height as well? Looks like he is new addition to the the team since he was not in the Filoil lineup.

Ahura Mazda
06-25-2012, 02:54 PM
LSGH just won over Lyceum, 122-41.

izon
06-27-2012, 07:44 AM
What is the height of Bolick ? Where did he come from ?

bigfreeze_bibby
06-27-2012, 03:27 PM
Can play 1-2-3 in HS if he wants to. A man among boys...

Hindi naman gaano pre. Sakto lang hehehe.

It will be good to see him play on Saturday against Baste.

He's around 6'0" to 6'1" siguro and plays guard. Played 18 minutes last time out against Lyceum and finished with 21 points, 5 assists, and 5 steals.

izon
06-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Hindi naman gaano pre. Sakto lang hehehe.

It will be good to see him play on Saturday against Baste.

He's around 6'0" to 6'1" siguro and plays guard. Played 18 minutes last time out against Lyceum and finished with 21 points, 5 assists, and 5 steals.

Saw a clip of him playing. He seems to be ripe for the collegiate cage wars. I wouldn't be surprised that the Greenies would be in the finals.

JVboy
09-04-2012, 09:12 AM
What's happening to the Greenies?

The team looks so formidable as ever... what, 7 or 9 hold-overs from last year's team, 2 RP team players (Vito and Bonleon) and a prized rookie in Bolick.

Why can't they win against a smaller SSC staglets team???

thel3ast
09-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Bonleon is out of the team. How will this affect his college stock?

JVboy
09-11-2012, 11:06 PM
I do not know how it will effect his chances in getting a good college to get him, but what I know for sure that he was unjustly removed from the team.

The boy was so excited to be back with the team after his stint in Mongolia. Out of the blue, Coach John Flores told him that while he was away, the team was doing great, running smooth, and his return might only disrupt things up. The insensitive coach failed to consider that the boy, though only a mere player of his team, is a human being, and has feelings.

Naturally, the boy, feeling hurt and un-welcomed, skipped practices and the game against the SSC Staglets. Unfortunately, the smooth and better LSGH team without Bonleon lost that game.

When Bonleon came back to join the practice, he was booted out and was told he abandoned the team in mid-air.

This was confusing, he was not needed and not welcome in the team, but then the 2 faced Flores accused him of abandoning the team.

I wonder what would Flores be saying if they've beaten the Staglets? He will surely feel vindicated.

I do not understand why an adult guy like Flores bullies a teen-age boy like Bonleon???

It is so unbecoming of a coach, a display of impunity, and abuse of authority.

I'm writing this because I heard what happened from a highly reliable source.

james_hunt
09-12-2012, 12:51 AM
He can always go to UE. :) at this point we don't care what he does or where he goes. Guess you don't know John Flores very well.

bchoter
09-12-2012, 12:57 AM
And we can always provide a shoulder to cry on (taragis parang willie revillame na nag aalok sa isang binibini :D)

Ahura Mazda
09-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Whoa! May drama din pala sa Greenies! Kawawa naman si Mario. Mukhang nalungkot pa naman siya at hindi siya nakapaglaro sa last game ng Energen team dahil sa foot injury niya, tapos pagbalik niya ng Pilipinas, na-cut na pala siya sa LSGH.

Anyway, he is very much welcome in CSB. Hahaha!

james_hunt
09-12-2012, 08:45 AM
Kunin mo manong. Pati yung erpat isama mo na. :)

Joescoundrel
09-12-2012, 09:00 AM
^ Aba Bchoter, kunin mo na din si Jerrie Pinggoy para 'yung two best Dads in high school varsity maka-move up na sa college ball!

Joescoundrel
09-12-2012, 09:05 AM
On the basketball side, I finally saw Robert Bolick in action in two separate instances, the last against the Letran Squires.

That boy is an athlete that's for sure, but his game looks more like Alex Mallari rather than Chris Ellis, or in the pro game more like Jared Dillinger rather than Cyrus Baguio. He runs hard, jumps well, certainly knows how to go hard in transition. But I didn't see much of a dribble-drive in the halfcourt, and he seems to have a tricky jumpshot. At this point I would say Rey Nambatac of Letran is a better player at the same position, although of course Bolick is a rookie and will get better.

Joescoundrel
09-12-2012, 09:06 AM
He can always go to UE. :) at this point we don't care what he does or where he goes. Guess you don't know John Flores very well.

Papa James kung hindi niyo na love si Flores kunin ko na lang siya ulit, hehehe...!

JVboy
09-12-2012, 09:22 AM
Papa James kung hindi niyo na love si Flores kunin ko na lang siya ulit, hehehe...!

@ James_hunt: Are you from LSGH? So I guess that attitude is not isolated, huh?

Pagkatapos nyo pinakinabangan yung bata, you can just brush him off like dirt on your shoes. So much of Christian values there in LSGH.

Ganun lang kayo naglalaglag ng tao, di na kailangan...alis!

Are you saying what the coach did was fair? That is it regular thing na ang isang adult papatol sa bata. In fact, Flores initiated it.

Don't you agree that the kid needed to be heard????

I can't believe it....What a shame !

Yes, you are right. I do know John Flores very well,,,, as I know him know, he picks on kids, pikon and selfish.

And if you know him well, why don't you tell him where his manners .

Joescoundrel
09-12-2012, 09:30 AM
^ Was Mario Bonleon given official leave by Lasalle Greenhills to join the RP Youth Team in the Ulaan Bataar tournament?

If so, what is the official stand of the LSGH administration on the action taken by Coach John Flores? I doubt the Lasalle Brothers would let Flores get away with this manner of alleged high-handedness.

I would think a premier institution like LSGH would at the very least have conducted some kind of hearing or inquiry, to hear both parties on a matter of this gravity.

JVboy
09-12-2012, 09:44 AM
Ang hirap lang, madami sa atin dito is just concerned with the results.

The team is doing well at this point, wala silang pakialam sa mga bata. Very much like the spectators in the era of gladiators. Some are there to be entertained.

Paano kung anak nyo, or pamangkin, or kaibigan si Mario, would you be happy about it?

The Greenies is doing well at this point, yeah right.

Pero magtataka pa ba tayo at this point?

- They have 11 hold overs from last year's team who reached the finals and gave SBC their only loss last season.

- Vito is back and healthy

- Andre Paras is more mature

- And the team has Robert Bolick, who probably the best rookie in the league.
- The greenies has a great height advantage over most teams,

Dapat magtaka tayo kung bakit natatalo pa. C'mon, let's be real!

Ang akin lang, be fair to the Bonleon kid>

bchoter
09-12-2012, 09:45 AM
^ Puwedeng maging at home si Nonoy sa UST games kasi makakasama niyang manood ang kapwa Davaoeno na si Alvin Teng. Baka puwede na rin niyang bitbitin yung magkapatid na big boys ng Xavier. Davaoeno din ang dad nila hehe

JVboy
09-12-2012, 09:47 AM
From what I know, yes. In both trips in Singapore and Mongolia. If I'm not mistaken, Coach Olsen himself asked for permission.

Yun na nga ang sa akin. Fairness and equality lang.

Coach naman siya, bakit di nya kausapin. Instead, kinutya nya, and made the kid feel un-welcome and un-wanted.

bchoter
09-12-2012, 09:49 AM
^ Aba Bchoter, kunin mo na din si Jerrie Pinggoy para 'yung two best Dads in high school varsity maka-move up na sa college ball!Brod ibang level ang tatay (nanay at kaibigan ng tatay) ni Pinggoy. Dapat sa UE sila kasi mga "warriors" sila. At least si Nonoy more on stage father/for the love of my son ang level hindi us against the world :D

JVboy
09-12-2012, 09:54 AM
I would understand if the scenario was this:

Mario came back, played one game and ball-hogged all game long and they lost.

Kahit sinong coach would be infuriated, pero yung bagong balik lang from a good stint abroad playing for the country and representing LSGH, bigla mong sabihan ng ganun.

May rule ba na kasi bata ka lang, and player ka lang, wala ka dapat feelings and no right to be hurt?

Joescoundrel
09-12-2012, 10:22 AM
From what I know, yes. In both trips in Singapore and Mongolia. If I'm not mistaken, Coach Olsen himself asked for permission.

Yun na nga ang sa akin. Fairness and equality lang.

Coach naman siya, bakit di nya kausapin. Instead, kinutya nya, and made the kid feel un-welcome and un-wanted.

So what did the LSGH administration do about this? Have they convened a grievance committee or board of inquiry or anything of that sort?

This clearly needs to be sorted out.

A player of Bonleon's calibre just being cut off like deadweight would surely raise many eyebrows from within the LSGH administration itself.

This is not the first time this has happened in the last few years at that, of the LSGH coach undertaking questionable decisions leading to good players being asked to leave or leaving on their own. If this has happened again, then an official and formal inquiry must be undertaken by the LSGH administration, because this will have implications above and beyond the fate of Mario Bonleon. it may impact upon the overall basketball program, and even LSGH as an institution.

JVboy
09-12-2012, 01:50 PM
The last time I talked with the Dad about 2-3 days ago, no formal notice was given yet.

Sinabihan lang yata si Mario, and no effort yet whatsoever to communicate with the parents.

I think Mario's parents are planning to write to Bro. Belleza yata to inquire and to protest the dismissal of their son from the team.

james_hunt
09-12-2012, 02:37 PM

Joe, John is too good to let go. Si Bonleon nalang sa inyo. :)

james_hunt
09-12-2012, 03:02 PM
The last time I talked with the Dad about 2-3 days ago, no formal notice was given yet.

Sinabihan lang yata si Mario, and no effort yet whatsoever to communicate with the parents.

I think Mario's parents are planning to write to Bro. Belleza yata to inquire and to protest the dismissal of their son from the team.

In a way, I can surmise that Nonoy was regretful that this has to happen. Way before pala LSGH took in Mario, San Beda was interested and expecting that Mario will go to San Beda.

Apparently, Nonoy and Coach Britt are good friends. But the couple was looking beyond basketball. They believe that La Salle education and experience will be beneficial to their son.

Though, they believed that Mario will gain and learn a lot from the basketball program of San Beda, they chose LSGH.

Kaya katakot-takot daw na paumanhin ang hiningi niya kay Britt.

By the way, I stand corrected 11 hold-overs pala from last year's team, as compared to San Bedas's 3.

It's quite obvious that you're close to the elder Bonleon. Before you rant and rave in cyber space, I suggest you tell Nonoy Bonleon to talk to Bro. Felipe about it because the story you spread is the exact opposite of what LSGH team management and what Coach Olsen has Been saying. Hirap naman kasi ng stage parent eh, ang kawawa yung bata.

LION
09-12-2012, 03:59 PM
In a way, I can surmise that Nonoy was regretful that this has to happen. Way before pala LSGH took in Mario, San Beda was interested and expecting that Mario will go to San Beda.

Apparently, Nonoy and Coach Britt are good friends. But the couple was looking beyond basketball. They believe that La Salle education and experience will be beneficial to their son.

Thatís what they believed. :)

bchoter
09-12-2012, 04:12 PM
"But the couple was looking beyond basketball. They believe that La Salle education and experience will be beneficial to their son". This is the severe ties without being explicit :D

JVboy
09-12-2012, 05:34 PM
@ James_hunt.

Just because the story that you know is opposite from what I know doesn't make your story the real one. You want to be fair talk to Mario's side.

If you look at it objectively, what will Mario Bonleon gain from not attending practice and playing with their team?

Exactly, why I am posting here, kasi they can easily twist the truth and blame it on the boy for having bad attitude.

Why then, Coach Flores talk to the Dad like a real man? Bakit wala pang formal notice.

The issue here is not having a stage father, but being fair and just.

Be fair James Hunt, maraming stage father, stage mother, etc. di naman bago yan.

Ang point ko fair ba yung nangyari. Put yourself in Mario's shoes, okay lang ba sa iyo na ganunin ka?

He just came back and what could have he done in so short a time na he deserve to be treated like that

Probably you have no son or daughter or family in sport that's why strange sa iyo ang ganun.

Stick to the issue, which is not being a stage father.

If granting, the father is the problem, does it justify the act of unjustly removing the kid from the team?

You can worship John Flores all you want, pero tingnan mo naman yung team, even wala pa si Bonleon ang lakas. Kahit sino pa coach nyan kaya dalahiin sa finals.

Saka nobody's talking about having John removed from the team, meron ba? Check mo nga.

james_hunt
09-12-2012, 05:35 PM
That’s what they believed. :)

You just had to say that? Clap clap clap.

james_hunt
09-12-2012, 05:43 PM
@ James_hunt.

Just because the story that you know is opposite from what I know doesn't make your story the real one. You want to be fair talk to Mario's side.

If you look at it objectively, what will Mario Bonleon gain from not attending practice and playing with their team?

Exactly, why I am posting here, kasi they can easily twist the truth and blames it on the boy for having bad attitude.

Why then, Coach Flores talk to the Dad like a real man? Bakit wala pang formal notice.

The issue here is not having a stage father, but being fair and just. Be fair James Hunt, maraming stage father, stage mother, etc. di naman bago yan, and point ko fair ba yung nangyari. Put yourself in Mario's shoes, okay lang ba sa iyo na ganunin ka? He just came back one could have he done in so short a time na he deserve to be treated like that

Probably you have no son or daughter or family in sport that's why strange sa iyo ang ganun. Stick to the issue, which is not being a stage father.

If granting the father is the problem, does it justify the act of unjustly removing the kid from the team?

You can worship John Flores all you want, pero tingnan mo naman yung team, even wala pa si Bonleon ang lakas. Kahit sino pa coach nyan kaya dalahiin sa finals.

Saka nobody's talking about having John removed from the team, meron ba? Check mo nga.

Hahaha. Guess nawala yabang ni Nonoy Bonleon when LSGH called his bluff and took out the scholarships given to his sons. Tell him we don't want him.

JVboy
09-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Pare, ang yabang mo.

You are ruining a kid's life, magawa mong tumawa.

So that's how LSGH handles people, just like a bully.

Pagkatapos nyong gamitin yung bata, you drop him like a hot potato????

You don't even sound educated.

JVboy
09-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Is being hurt means calling a bluff? Anong yabang dun, they didn't start this.

How puny!!!

Kasi you provide scholarship you can do everything? Didn't the Bonleon kid help the team last year???

I pity you, ganun pala ugali mo.

james_hunt
09-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Time to move on.

LION
09-13-2012, 12:32 AM
You just had to say that? Clap clap clap.

What’s wrong with that? I was talking about what they believed. Not about what you believe. Save the applause dude. :)

james_hunt
09-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Whatís wrong with that? I was talking about what they believed. Not about what you believe. Save the applause dude. :)

K :)

LION
09-13-2012, 12:52 AM
Peace bro. We’re good. :)

james_hunt
09-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Peace bro. We’re good. :)

Yep, we're good Pards. :)

izon
09-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Is Bonleon still a student of La Salle Greenhills ?

JVboy
09-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Is Bonleon still a student of La Salle Greenhills ?

I think he still is.

But I heard that they're taking away his scholarship.

izon
09-24-2012, 08:12 PM
I think he still is.

But I heard that they're taking away his scholarship.

Ay Sayang ! Wonder where he will play in the seniors.

thel3ast
09-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Bonleon to UE. I heard his father is already a coach there.

izon
09-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Bonleon to UE. I heard his father is already a coach there.

Ahhh ok ! Good Luck to him.

JVboy
09-30-2012, 07:51 PM
It's true that the father is connected to UE, though I am not sure as to what capacity. But what I'm sure about is there is no definite plans yet where the kid is going in college.

There are stories that he is going to UE, but the last time I talked to the boy and the Dad, wala pa naman daw. And they're even surprised where the stories are coming from.

izon
10-01-2012, 07:36 AM
It's true that the father is connected to UE, though I am not sure as to what capacity. But what I'm sure about is there is no definite plans yet where the kid is going in college.

There are stories that he is going to UE, but the last time I talked to the boy and the Dad, wala pa naman daw. And they're even surprised where the stories are coming from.
Malamang hindi sa La Salle yan.

Sam Miguel
05-16-2013, 09:21 AM
John Flores back to going places I see. Good luck, good buddy!

Phl battles in FIBA-Asia U-18 3x3

SPORTS CHANCE

By Joaquin M. Henson

(The Freeman) | Updated May 16, 2013 - 12:00am

It’s all systems go for the Philippine team coached by La Salle Greenhills’ John Flores to battle in the first FIBA-Asia U-18
boys 3x3 competition in Bangkok on May 22-24. The four-man squad boasts an average height of 6-3 1/4 and while Flores expects taller opposition, he said it will be difficult to match the boys’ versatility.

The players are 6-5 Arvin Tolentino of San Beda Taytay, 6-4 Prince Rivero of La Salle Greenhills, 6-2 Thirdy Ravena of Ateneo and 6-4 1/2 Kobe Paras of La Salle Greenhills. Flores said 6-1 Reggie Morido of National University would’ve been in the lineup but had to be scratched out because he couldn’t get a passport in time to beat the deadline for submission of documents to FIBA-Asia. Tolentino and Rivero are 18, Ravena 17 and Paras 15. Ravena’s father Bong was a PBA star and brother Kiefer is with the Ateneo senior varsity. Paras’ father Benjie was a two-time PBA MVP and brother Andre plays with the UP senior varsity.

“We don’t need a point guard because you don’t bring up the ball anyway since it’s a halfcourt game,” said the 47-year-old Flores who took over the helm of the La Salle Greenhills varsity in 2011 after capturing six UAAP titles in seven seasons with the Ateneo Lady Eagles. “We play a 10-minute game in a race to 21 points. The limit is five personal fouls and four team fouls before penalty. For sure, there will be bigger players out there but we’ve got players who can shoot from the outside, put the ball on the floor, slash and post up. We’ll try to offset the height advantage of other teams by playing quick and smart. There are only 12 seconds to shoot so we’ve got to move fast.”

Flores said he coached three-on-three basketball for La Salle Bacolod back in 1996 so he’s familiar with the game. The Philippines’ U-16 coach Jamike Jarin begged off from the 3x3 tournament to concentrate on his work with the national team. “I was helping out coach Jamike as a volunteer with the U-16 team when he asked if I could take over the U-18 3x3 team,” said Flores. “I’m really grateful to coach Jamike for this opportunity. I was an assistant coach with the national team for the 2005 Southeast Asian Games but we couldn’t play because of the FIBA suspension. This is my first assignment as national coach and I’m excited to do a good job. I was only a bench player in college so this is a big break for me. I’ve always dreamed of being a national coach. It means so much more than coaching for a club.”

Flores said his coaching philosophy is a balance of offense and defense. “I like to press and run so it’s defense transitioning into offense,” he said. “In three-on-three basketball, I want the guys to move quickly. Arvin has an inside-outside game just like the others. In one recent five-on-five game, Kobe got the rebound, went coast to coast and dunked. That’s unusual for a big man to run the floor like he does. Prince and Thirdy are just as capable so I think we have a good chance in Bangkok.” Flores said he plans to arrange at least four practice games with the La Salle and FEU senior teams. “I’ve spoken with (La Salle) coach Gee (Abanilla) and (FEU) coach Nash (Racela) and they’ve agreed to help us out,” he continued. “We don’t have too many days left for practice as we leave May 20. We’re hoping to do games with guys like Jeron (Teng) and Arnold (Van Opstal) so we get used to playing with slashers and big guys.”

Dean's Corner ( Article MRec ), pagematch: 1, sectionmatch: 1 The Philippines is bracketed in Group B with Turkmenistan, Indonesia, Qatar, Syria and Chinese-Taipei. Group A is made up of Jordan, Mongolia, India, China and Maldives. Group C is composed of Hong Kong, Malaysia, Vietnam, Japan, Kazakhstan and Thailand 2. Group D lists Thailand 1, Lebanon, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Macau. Iran is not entered in the tournament.

The competition is a preview of the three-on-three event at the second Asian Youth Games in Nanjing, China, on Aug. 16-24 leading to the 2014 Youth Olympics, also in Nanjing. SBP executive director Sonny Barrios said the Filipino streetball game of “tatluhan” is a model for the three-on-three event which FIBA is planning to introduce at the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

Sam Miguel
06-10-2013, 11:34 AM
3x3 champs appeal to NCAA, UAAP

By Joaquin Henson

(The Philippine Star) | Updated June 10, 2013 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - FIBA-Asia U-18 boys 3x3 champion coach John Flores said yesterday he hopes the NCAA and UAAP will adjust the coming season’s playing schedules of the schools of the four Filipino cagers representing the country at the World Championships in Jakarta on Sept. 26-29.

Three of the four juniors play in the NCAA and one in the UAAP. Thirdy Ravena, 17, sees action for Ateneo while Arvin Tolentino, 17, is with San Beda College and Kobe Paras, 15, and Prince Rivero, 18, with La Salle Greenhills. The NCAA season opens June 22 and the UAAP June 29. Both leagues will take a break during the FIBA-Asia Championships here Aug. 1-11.

“This is a rare opportunity for our country to play in the World Championships,” said Flores. “We’re appealing to the NCAA and UAAP to adjust the schedule of the boys’ schools in the second round. Arvin is a key player with San Beda. I’m the La Salle Greenhills coach and we rely heavily on two of our players Prince and Kobe. Thirdy is also a vital player with Ateneo. Both the NCAA and UAAP will be at the tail-end of the second round when we are in Jakarta. We’ve asked assistance from the SBP and we understand (executive director) Mr. (Sonny) Barrios has already written the NCAA and UAAP about it.”

Flores said the Philippine U-16 team, where Paras also plays, is scheduled to compete in Jakarta on July 13-18 and coach Jamike Jarin is in a similar predicament. “The SBP has also asked the UAAP and NCAA to restudy their schedules as the national U-16 team leaves on July 12 and will be back July 20,” said Flores. “We are faced with international commitments and it’s a great opportunity for our boys to represent our country.”

Flores recently piloted the Philippines to the FIBA-Asia U-18 boys 3x3 title in Bangkok. The Philippines beat India, 21-19, in the finals. Both the Philippines and India will represent Asia at the 32-team World Championships in Jakarta. It will be the third edition of the annual tournament that began in Rimini, Italy, in 2011 when New Zealand bagged the crown with Bulgaria placing second and Italy third. Serbia took the title in the second World Championships in Alcobendas, Spain, last year with the US finishing second and France third. The top teams in the Jakarta tournament will advance to play at the World Youth Olympics in Nanjing, China, next year.

In Jakarta, FIBA will invite cagers from the 32 countries to participate in a dunk contest and a mixed event featuring a boy and girl in a 2Ball competition where players alternate in shooting from three spots within a 60-second limit. Aside from the boys tournament, the U-18 festival will run a 3x3 competition for 24 girls teams.

Flores said winning the FIBA-Asia title was no cakewalk. The Philippines lost its opening game to Qatar, 17-14, with all four players fouling out, prompting officials to call off the contest. But the Filipinos clawed their way back into contention, beating Chinese-Taipei, 20-18, in overtime on Paras’ two-pointer (under 3x3 rules, a triple counts for two points), Syria, 17-13, Indonesia, 20-13, Japan, 21-18, and China, 22-18, before the finals showdown with India.

“Our liaison officer couldn’t be found to arrange practices for our team,” said Flores. “Luckily, Thirdy’s mother Mozzy was with us and she knows the owner of a school in Bangkok. Through Mozzy, we were able to practice at the school’s gym with a size 6 basketball which is used in 3x3 competitions. The school also provided us with a team to practice with so that kept us sharp for the tournament.”

Flores said the semifinal win over China was tense from start to finish. “We led all the way from 4-0 although they tied it at 7-all then we went on a 3-0 run,” said Flores. “We were up against a 6-9, 6-8, 6-7 and 6-1. In their previous games, China shot a lot from the outside and drove hard to the basket. Against us, they posted up because we’re smaller. But our boys outsmarted them. Prince would body up against the Chinese post player then step back when he backed in so he would lose his balance. They did other things that they learned from playing streetball and the Chinese couldn’t adjust. With a minute left, two of our players had fouled out so it was two against three. China also lost two players on fouls so we ended up playing two-on-two. In the final play, Arvin drew an unsportsmanlike foul from a Chinese player and the referee gave us two free throws which was why we scored 22 points when 3x3 is just a race to 21. After the game, the Chinese players refused to shake our hands.”

Mozzy Ravena said her son Thirdy plays a different style than older brother Kiefer, now an Ateneo senior varsity star. “Thirdy is more athletic than Kiefer who is more cerebral,” she said. “I see Thirdy enjoying a long playing career while Kiefer will eventually go into coaching. As a young boy, Kiefer was already viewing game tapes, studying moves and discussing strategies with (his father) Bong. He has a high basketball IQ and understands strategies, tactics and tendencies like a coach.”

Rivero’s father Paolo said his son is slowly maturing into a power forward. Paolo’s three sons Prince, Rasheed and Ricci are playing with La Salle Greenhills in the NCAA juniors this season, probably a first for three brothers to suit up on the same varsity team. Paras’ father Benjie said he’s proud of his son Kobe’s achievements following in the footsteps of another son Andre, now with the UP senior varsity in the UAAP. “I think I’m handsomer but Kobe is a better player,” chuckled the two-time PBA MVP.

bchoter
06-10-2013, 12:11 PM
3x3 champs appeal to NCAA, UAAP

By Joaquin Henson

(The Philippine Star) | Updated June 10, 2013 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - FIBA-Asia U-18 boys 3x3 champion coach John Flores said yesterday he hopes the NCAA and UAAP will adjust the coming season’s playing schedules of the schools of the four Filipino cagers representing the country at the World Championships in Jakarta on Sept. 26-29.

Three of the four juniors play in the NCAA and one in the UAAP. Thirdy Ravena, 17, sees action for Ateneo while Arvin Tolentino, 17, is with San Beda College and Kobe Paras, 15, and Prince Rivero, 18, with La Salle Greenhills. The NCAA season opens June 22 and the UAAP June 29. Both leagues will take a break during the FIBA-Asia Championships here Aug. 1-11.

Flores said the semifinal win over China was tense from start to finish. “We led all the way from 4-0 although they tied it at 7-all then we went on a 3-0 run,” said Flores. “We were up against a 6-9, 6-8, 6-7 and 6-1. In their previous games, China shot a lot from the outside and drove hard to the basket. Against us, they posted up because we’re smaller. But our boys outsmarted them. Prince would body up against the Chinese post player then step back when he backed in so he would lose his balance. They did other things that they learned from playing streetball and the Chinese couldn’t adjust. With a minute left, two of our players had fouled out so it was two against three. China also lost two players on fouls so we ended up playing two-on-two. In the final play, Arvin drew an unsportsmanlike foul from a Chinese player and the referee gave us two free throws which was why we scored 22 points when 3x3 is just a race to 21. After the game, the Chinese players refused to shake our hands.”Back in their home town, it's not unusual to find the Rivero brothers playing "lima-lima" against all comers. the venue is the open court where Palarong Pambansa was played a decade or so ago and also hosted the SCUAA a couple of years back. On a good day, you can play against ex-varsity players like Ogie Menor and bros (when the two are on vacation from their middle-east jobs), Eric Suguitan, Suitan's 6'8" cousin who played for FEU, etc. You may also chance upon Gumaru of Arellano college, Staglette Carlo Escalambre, or Manaligod of UPHR juniors. Some do it to break a sweat but, sometimes, starting bets can go as high as 5K per game with the requisite "rebanse". The loser can ask for a "doblada" in an attempt to recoup their loses. so when you hear "Adda kanu ni Ogie", be sure to make your way to the coliseum and find an unobstructed view of the game.

Joescoundrel
06-11-2013, 09:51 AM
^ May taya? Manu daita?

Sam Miguel
11-08-2013, 08:20 AM
PBA-bound Almazan named MVP, best defensive player in NCAA season 89

By Celest R. Flores

INQUIRER.net

4:48 am | Friday, November 8th, 2013

MANILA, Philippines—Raymond Almazan is having a great week.

Just days after getting plucked third overall by Rain or Shine in the 2013 PBA Draft, Almazan on Thursday was officially named the NCAA season 89 seniors’ basketball Most Valuable Player.

The PBA-bound center from Bataan amassed 55.61 statistical points to top the MVP race, according to the numbers provided by the league.

Almazan edged San Beda’s Nigerian center Ola Adeogun (50.33 SPs), Perpetual Help’s Harold Arboleda (46.78 SPs) and Nosa Omorgbe (44.71 SPs) and Emilio Aguinaldo’s Noube Happy (46.56).

Earlier, Letran’s lanky center steered the Knights back into the finals with an incredible statline of 19 points, 23 rebounds, and nine block in the 85-58 win over San Sebastian.

Before he makes his debut in the pro-league, Almazan has declared that he has a business to finish in the NCAA as he tries to power Letran to a championship against San Beda, with the best-of-three series starting next week.

Almazan also proved worthy of the Defensive Player of the Year citation, averaging 7.83 boards, 2.72 blocks and 0.61 steals.

Meanwhile, Altas’ Juneric Baloria—who had a tremendous season for the Aric Del Rosario-mentored squad, was adjudged the Rookie of the Year.

Baloria finished 11th in the SPs ranking, followed by San Sebastian’s Bradwyn Guinto, who ranked 13th.

Jose Rizal University’s Michael Mabulac, on the other hand, was named the Most Improved Player, jumping 31 places higher from 43 to 12 in the SP rank.

In the juniors’ division, St. Benilde-La Salle Greenhills’ Prince Rivero came out as the MVP by an overwhelming margin.

Rivero had 67.17 statistical points while JRU’s Jeric Adorio was a distant second with 52.61 SPs, followed by Kobe Paras with 50.35, Staglets’ Michael Calisaan and Rhanzelle Yong with 46.94 and 46.50, respectively.

Sam Miguel
11-11-2013, 09:46 AM
LSGH knocks off no.2 San Sebastian, returns to finals in NCAA juniors

By Mark Giongco

INQUIRER.net

6:04 pm | Saturday, November 9th, 2013

MANILA, Philippines – De La Salle-College of St. Benilde ousted San Sebastian, 76-72, in the stepladder semifinal round to barge into the finals of the NCAA Season 89 juniors basketball tournament Saturday at the Filoil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Juniors MVP Prince Rivero showed the way with 21 points and 11 rebounds for the Greenies, who arranged a championship meeting with defending champion San Beda Red Cubs.

“No one expected us to be here,” said LSGH head coach John Flores. “But we’re here so we’re just going to make the most out of it.”

Game 1 of the Finals starts on Monday with the Red Cubs, who are eyeing their fifth championship in a row, owning a “thrice-to-beat edge” after sweeping the double round eliminations.

The Greenies, who made the finals for the second time in three years, worked their way back from 10 points down early behind the efforts of Rivero, Alex Barrera, Michael dela Cruz and Kobe Paras.

Barrera also had a double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds while dela Cruz and Paras added 18 and 17 points, respectively.

Despite having just little time to prepare against the formidable San Beda squad, Flores thinks his team’s new found confidence will help them along the way.

“I’m counting that the renewed confidence that we have and the high spirits we’re enjoying will carry over against San Beda.”

Joescoundrel
11-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Red Cubs hold off fighting Greenies to move within a win of NCAA juniors five-peat

November 11, 2013, 03:48 pm

SAN Beda moved a win away from A fifth successive championship in the juniors division of the NCAA basketball tournament after scoring a 79-68 victory over La Salle Greenhills on Monday in Game One of the Finals at the Mall of Asia Arena.

Hardly challenged in an 18-game of the eliminations, the thrice-to-beat Red Cubs finally found a worthy challenge and had to turn to their experience down the stretch to hold off the Greenies.

“Kaya rin sila pumasok sa Finals kasi may puso sila,” Red Cubs coach JB Sison said of the Greenies, who defeated Mapua and San Sebastian in the stepladder semifinals to earn the right to face the Cubs in the championship round.

“But we just made the right plays and stepped up in the end,” added Sison, who took over from former coach Britt Reroma this year.

Game Two is on Thursday at the same venue with the Cubs gunning for the first sweep in the juniors division since 2008 when San Sebastian, behind Arvie and Mark Bringas and Almond Vosotros, won all their 14 games on the way to the title.

Arvin Tolentino and Rev Diputado delivered the key baskets in the endgame for the Cubs after the Greenies cut a double-digit deficit to just five points, 63-68, on two charities from Prince Rivero with still two minutes remaining.

Tolentino fired 11 of his 21 points in the payoff period in a performance that negated the 34-point, 24-rebound showing of Rivero, the newly crowned MVP.

The scores:

SBC (79) – Tolentino 21, Diputado 19, Caracut 16, Tongco 12, Abuda 4, Decapia 2, Abatayo 2, Mocon 2, Abude 1, Framil 0, De Villeres 0, Gumtang 0

LSGH (68 ) – Rivero 34, Dela Cruz 12, Paras 11, Barrera 4, Lanot 3, San Juan 2, Ramilo 1, Gob 1, Salonga 0, RP Rivero 0, Abadeza 0

Quarterscores: 23-12, 42-32, 62-51, 79-68

Joescoundrel
11-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Kobe Paras gives Greenies something to cheer about with highlight-reel dunk

November 11, 2013, 04:36 pm

LA Salle Greenhills lost to San Beda in Game One of the NCAA juniors’ basketball finals, but Kobe Paras gave the Greenies' fans something to cheer about with the day’s highlight play.

Flashing his leaping ability and athleticism, the 16-year-old Greenies star drove toward the baseline from the left side late in the third quarter, blew by Lance Abude, before posterizing Niko Abatayo with a one-handed slam.

“Normal na sa akin na pag-da-drive, kailangan aggressive lagi. So nung nakita ko yung lane, sinabi ko na lang na i-du-dunk ko,” the 6-foot-4 Paras said in a chat with Spin.ph after the game.

Paras, son of former PBA Rookie-MVP Benjie, added to his collection of dunks after dunking on LeBron James in a shootaround during the Miami Heat superstar’s visit in the country, and ruling the dunk contest of Fiba 3x3 Under-18 Championship last September in Jakarta.

“Tsaka live rin, daming nanonood,” Paras added of his decision to dunk the ball before adoring fans at the packed MOA Arena. “Tsaka para makita nila na aggressive ako.”

His dunk provided the inspiration in a second-half fightback that enabled the Greenies to close within five points in the endgame, but the powerhouse Red Cubs held their ground to hack out a 79-68 victory.

Paras, however, isn't giving up the fight against the thrice-to-beat Red Cubs.

“Binigay ko naman lahat pati yung team binigay lahat. Malas lang na 'yung shots namin hindi pumapasok sa dulo. Sa next game na lang babawi ko,” said the LSGH forward, who finished the game with 11 points.

Still, Paras is sticking to the positives as the Greenies kept the score close this time after surrendering blowout decisions to the Red Cubs in two games in the elimination round.

“Syempre nagbibigay sa amin ‘to ng confidence kasi dikit lang yung laban.”

Sam Miguel
11-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Knights seal Game 3 title clash with Lions

By Cedelf P. Tupas

Philippine Daily Inquirer

10:33 pm | Thursday, November 14th, 2013

Letran responded to the challenge with a tough and resilient stand this time, repulsing San Beda, 79-74, yesterday to forge a winner-take-all Game 3 tomorrow for the 89th NCAA basketball crown at Mall of Asia Arena.

The Knights, who lost the title-series opener by playing soft, according to coach Caloy Garcia, came out with plenty of fire behind Mark Cruz in the second half and managed to keep their hopes for a 17th title alive.

Earlier, the San Beda Red Cubs punctuated an amazing season with a 65-59 thumping of La Salle Green Hills for a fifth straight juniors crown.

It was San Beda’s 21st title overall, a feat made even more remarkable by the fact that the Cubs went unbeaten in 20 games this season.

Cruz paced Letran with 16 points, 10 of them in the final period, and the Knights’ reserves finally showed up to stun a San Beda squad that looked ready to seal the title after an explosive finish lifted the Lions to a 37-32 lead at halftime.

McJour Luib filled in impressively when Cruz was rested in the second half, where he had three crucial baskets, while Jamil Gabawan and John Tambeling combined for 13 points as Letran’s bench outplayed their San Beda counterparts.

“The players really stepped up,” said Garcia. “I just challenged them. Our problem in Game 1 is that we were tentative. The other players were thinking too much about the game and we needed to find a way to ease the pressure from there.”

Game 3 is slated at 2:30 p.m. tomorrow, also at MOA Arena.

Awarded the Most Valuable Player trophy before the game, Raymond Almazan wound up with 12 points and eight boards, before going down with cramps in the final minutes.

But Ford Ruaya and Kevin Racal also provided solid support with 12 points apiece. The Knights did not wilt in the final period this time as Ruaya, Racal and Luib combined in an 8-0 burst after a 64-all deadlock.

The Lions cut the lead to 69-72, but Almazan, Cruz and Rey Nambatac preserved the win for the Knights with clutch baskets.

San Beda forward Art dela Cruz sizzled with four triples on his way to a season-high 23 points that went with 12 rebounds. Dela Cruz had the San Beda faithful in delirium when he knocked in back-to-back treys in a 30-second span to close the first half.

But Baser Amer and Ivan Ludovice couldn’t replicate their fourth-quarter heroics in Game 1. Amer struggled, going 3-of-21 from the field, while Ludovice only had two points.

Hobbled by foul trouble, Ola Adeogun still finished with 10 points and 13 boards. Adeogun buried a triple with 17 seconds remaining to trim the gap to 74-77, but Cruz, who was rested in the third period, sealed the win with two free throws, time down to 10 seconds.

The last team to pull off a perfect season in juniors’ play was San Sebastian in 2008.

The scores:

First Game

SAN BEDA 65—Tongco 17, Caracut 14, Tolentino 12, Diputado 10, Mocon 4, Abude 3, Decapia 2, Gumtang 2, Abuda 1, Abatayo 0.

CSB-LSGH 59—Barrera 17, Rivero 15, Paras 11, Dela Cruz 6, Abadeza 5, Ramilo 3, Lanot 2, San Juan 0.

Quarters: 24-8, 39-28, 51-46, 65-59

Second Game

LETRAN 79—Cruz 16, Ruaya 12, Racal 12, Almazan 12, Tambeling 8, Luib 6, Nambatac 6, Gabawan 5, Belorio 2, Buenaflor 0.

SAN BEDA 74—Dela Cruz 23, Adeogun 10, Dela Rosa 10, Amer 8, D. Semerad 8, A. Semerad 6, Abarcar 4, Sara 3, Ludovice 2, Mendoza 0, Pascual 0.

Quarters: 12-17, 32-37, 54-51, 79-74

izon
11-24-2017, 06:39 PM
Greenies NCAA Season 93 Jr. Champions. Animo La Salle !!!

tulf
01-15-2018, 12:10 AM
heard some news that former san beda red cubs coach brit reroma is coming to greenhills.

BLUE HORSE
01-15-2018, 02:31 AM
Why will LSGH replace one of their very own homegrown alumnae after he just delivered the schools first championship in over 60 years and team is ready to do a back to back? Don’t get me wrong, Reroma is good but the timing sucks big time.

tulf
01-15-2018, 12:25 PM
but as for the information i got, remoma was already part of the championship team, just working behind close doors. i was there during game 3 of that Junior's championship, and was looking for any signs of reroma's presence, but didnt find any.
since until now there is no official announcement, im also looking if someone can shed light to this information.