PDA

View Full Version : School/Alumni ID now a requirement for Araneta UAAP ticket sales?

batangueño
06-23-2008, 02:00 PM
I was able to talk to someone I know who works for Uniprom, the entity that runs the Araneta Coliseum and Ticketnet. He told me that due to mounting complaints about scalpers and their cohorts falling in line at the Araneta Coliseum ticket booths to buy tickets which were to be sold again at exorbitant prices (seems similar to the incident last year when scalpers and their cohorts already fell in line at the Araneta ticket booths more than 24 hours before the actual sale of tickets for big games had begun), the management of Ticketnet might decide to require those who wish to purchase UAAP games tickets at Ticketnet to present a school or alumni ID before they are allowed to buy tickets. As how he described such plan, "No ID, no sale."

In a separate development, authorities from the University of the Philippines, the 71st season host member, are already complaining of UAAP opening weekend tickets being hoarded from the level of Ticketnet. According to them, "Nasa itaas pa lang ang ticket, 'iniipit' na kaya problema namin 'yan ngayon." They added that very limited number tickets might be released to member schools because of such hoarding on the part of Ticketnet.

I wish those tickets would go to the legitimate basketball fans and team supporters who wish to watch the UAAP opening games on July 5 (FEU vs AdU, UE vs UST) and 6 (UP vs NU, DLSU vs ADMU). Those scalpers and the rich and influential few and their Ticketnet conspirators who make things difficult to the fans and supporters should be cracked down and penalized.

Also, pieces of legislation that would crack down on scalping should be passed on city/municipality or even the national level. As long as there are no laws against scalping, the scalpers and the rich and influential few and their Ticketnet (or school-based) cohorts will continue to cause problems to the legions of fans and supporters who wish to see UAAP games at any venue.

Guardian Angel
06-23-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't think that's feasible or even fair. First, I think only a small percentage of alumni carry alumni cards. Second, we all know collegiate fans are not necessarily students or alumni or those schools. There are many daughters, sons even, brothers, sisters, who support schools of their relatives. I even know of a La Salle student who cheers for Ateneo because he had always done so with his dad since he was young, even though he had himself never set foot in Loyola as a student.

Plus, how about the hordes of bodyguards, alalays of VIPs? How do they get in?

I am certainly anti-scalper, but making it impossible for legitimate fans to buy tickets is not the solution.

batangueño
06-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Kabayang Guardian Angel, I think Uniprom will not think of such action if not for the incidents of last year when scalpers almost feasted on the sale of UAAP tickets and carried all of their neighbors or even their entire families to the Araneta Coliseum to literally sleep there and get the tickets which they will later sell at much higher prices. Tickets at the Araneta Coliseum booths ran out because the scalpers got most of them, and that's something totally unfair for legitimate fans and supporters of the teams.

I guess the school or alumni ID requirement is an added security for legitimate fans and supporters against the hordes of scalpers who will surely take advantage of the upcoming UAAP season by stealing the tickets and re-sell them for exorbitant and totally unfair prices. However, the scalpers, wise as always, will always find ways to go around this new security feature up to a point that they will go to the University Belt area and commission fake school or alumni IDs.

Speaking of VIPs, they are also part of the problem. They keep on cornering Patron and Lower Box tickets without even falling in line at the ticket booths, again denying the legitimate fans and supporters of good seats to watch the games. I am pretty sure that these same VIPs have people within Ticketnet who are hoarding the tickets and giving UP, this year's host, major problems. >:(

batangueño
06-23-2008, 02:51 PM
I again called Uniprom for clarifications. These were the things that they told me a short time ago:

* Anyone who wishes to watch the UAAP games will be REQUIRED to present ANY VALID ID (e.g. passport, driver's license, TIN ID, SSS ID, etc.) before any transaction can proceed. However, Uniprom/Ticketnet prefers that the IDs to be presented by the bearers are either school IDs or alumni IDs. Such measure was undertaken by Uniprom again due to complaints about scalpers who were able to obtain large numbers of tickets from the Araneta Coliseum ticket booths last UAAP season.

* A person is entitled only buy up to TWO UAAP tickets.

* Patron (300 + Araneta Center gift certificates worth 200 pesos) and Lower Box (250? + Araneta Coliseum gift certificates worth 200 pesos) will ONLY be sold at the Araneta Coliseum. NO Patron and Lower Box tickets will be sold at the universities.

* Tickets for July 5 will be released on the morning of June 30 while tickets for the July 6 games will be released on the morning of July 1.

The_Big_Cat
06-23-2008, 02:53 PM
I have to buy tickets from scalpers because my uncles (admu & dlsu alumni) who were not able to make reservations with their respective alumni offices. And plus both of them flew in a week before the admu-dlsu game. For our part, we can live on buying tickets from scalpers. Nakakatulong pa rin yung mga yan kahit paano.

batangueño
06-23-2008, 02:57 PM
I have to buy tickets from scalpers because my uncles (admu & dlsu alumni) who were not able to make reservations with their respective alumni offices. And plus both of them flew in a week before the admu-dlsu game. For our part, we can live on buying tickets from scalpers. Nakakatulong pa rin yung mga yan kahit paano.

I guess you guys have the money to pay for scalped tickets, all of which command totally exorbitant prices. Ang problema kasi ay yung mga katulad namin na wala naman masyadong pambayad sa mga scalpers pero gusto pa ding makapanood ng laro. Na-alarma yata kasi ang Uniprom na ginawa nang palabigasan nang ilan ang UAAP.

The_Big_Cat
06-23-2008, 03:08 PM

I guess you guys have the money to pay for scalped tickets, all of which command totally exorbitant prices. Ang problema kasi ay yung mga katulad namin na wala naman masyadong pambayad sa mga scalpers pero gusto pa ding makapanood ng laro. Na-alarma yata kasi ang Uniprom na ginawa nang palabigasan nang ilan ang UAAP.

Don't get me wrong but I definitely like this proposal that requires identification (students & alumni).

batangueño
06-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Don't get me wrong but I definitely like this proposal that requires identification (students & alumni).

No harm done, Kabayang The_Big_Cat. :)

While I was talking to the Uniprom person earlier, I asked her "Eh hindi ba makakapagproduce din ng ID ang mga scalpers?" She was not able to answer the question directly. All she told was that those who wish to buy tickets from the Araneta ticket booths should present an ID, preferably either school ID or alumni ID. :o

Talagang matagal nang problema natin sa UAAP yung scalpers at yung mga VIP na kumo-corner ng tickets sa Patron at Lower Box nang hindi man lang naghihirap sa pila.

Get_Blazed
06-23-2008, 03:42 PM
I again called Uniprom for clarifications. These were the things that they told me a short time ago:

* Anyone who wishes to watch the UAAP games will be REQUIRED to present ANY VALID ID (e.g. passport, driver's license, TIN ID, SSS ID, etc.) before any transaction can proceed. However, Uniprom/Ticketnet prefers that the IDs to be presented by the bearers are either school IDs or alumni IDs. Such measure was undertaken by Uniprom again due to complaints about scalpers who were able to obtain large numbers of tickets from the Araneta Coliseum ticket booths last UAAP season.

* A person is entitled only buy up to TWO UAAP tickets.

* Patron (300 + Araneta Center gift certificates worth 200 pesos) and Lower Box (250? + Araneta Coliseum gift certificates worth 200 pesos) will ONLY be sold at the Araneta Coliseum. NO Patron and Lower Box tickets will be sold at the universities.

* Tickets for July 5 will be released on the morning of June 30 while tickets for the July 6 games will be released on the morning of July 1.

Same case for the new season of the NCAA.

To quote Ticketnet:

NCAA 84TH Season Opening Ceremonies
NCAA Collegiate Basketball Tournament

Category: Entertainment

Venue: Araneta Coliseum

Event Date/Time:
June 28, 2008 | Saturday
Seat and Price:
Seat Location Price
Patron 400 + 200GC
Lower Box 350 + 200GC
Upper Box A 170
Upper Box B 120
Gen. Admission 55

TWO (2) TICKETS PER CUSTOMER.

SCHOOL ID MUST BE PRESENTED OR AUTHORIZATION LETTER IF REPRESENTATIVE.

AVAILABLE ONLY AT TICKETNET BOX OFFICE LOCATED AT THE ARANETA COLISEUM.

NO RESERVATION.

LIMITED TICKETS ONLY.

batangueño
06-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Kabayang Get_Blazed, I am just curious as to the extent of the scalper problem in the NCAA as compared to the scalper problem in the UAAP. Is the NCAA scalper problem much lesser in extent when compared to that of the UAAP or is it just the same? ???

christian
06-23-2008, 04:02 PM
I already got my tickets, they didn't require any ID, strict lang sila sa 2 tickets per person, and those who would bring authorization letters.

batangueño
06-23-2008, 04:11 PM
I already got my tickets, they didn't require any ID, strict lang sila sa 2 tickets per person, and those who would bring authorization letters.

Kung NCAA tickets yan, baka medyo maluwag pa sila. Hindi naman yan kasing lala ng problema sa UAAP eh. ???

Get_Blazed
06-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Kabayang Get_Blazed, I am just curious as to the extent of the scalper problem in the NCAA as compared to the scalper problem in the UAAP. Is the NCAA scalper problem much lesser in extent when compared to that of the UAAP or is it just the same? ???

I think sa opening tlga nagkakaroon ng ganitong problema sa NCAA. Possibly sa F4 and Finals din. Pero I guess sa elims smooth sailing naman.

christian
06-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Opening, F4 and Finals ang hirap kumuha ng ticket, nasa school daw lahat, panigurado bad trip lahat dyan. Muntik ng hindi ako makanood ng Finals last year buti na lang may sumalo :)

Kaunti lang naman ang scalper/s ang press release ay nasa school/alumni daw ang mga tickets.

eightyfiver
06-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Baka matawa sila pag pinakita ko iyong ID ko ng nag-aaral pa ako? ::)

bluewing
06-23-2008, 11:09 PM
FACE VALUE NA LANG!

malalaman naman siguro kung Atenista / lasalista ang bumibili o scalper.

ewan ko sa inyo. pero ako nadedetermine ko yan sa isang tingin lang. :|

easter
06-24-2008, 07:13 AM
So does this mean na kapag di ka student ng UAAP school, di ka na makakapanood sa venue? Tindi naman nyan. Bordering on discrimination na ito ah.

eightyfiver
06-24-2008, 08:41 AM
^totoo iyan. How about the parents? Eh minsan sila pa iyong mas feeling. Tsaka Daa, as if naman hindi nila kilala iyong mga scalper. Magtigil nga sila.

shyboy
06-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Minsan nga estudyante or alumnus ang scalper eh.

Howard the Duck
06-24-2008, 01:31 PM
this is a bad idea :P

batangueño
06-24-2008, 03:15 PM
So ano sa tingin natin ang dapat gawin to combat scalpers kung hindi pala pwede o feasible ang ganitong measure ng Uniprom? ???

Sa mga nag-suggest ng greater police visibiity, ano naman ang ikakaso natin sa mga scalpers kung WALANG BATAS kontra dito? >:(

Aminin natin o hindi, mga Kabayan, ginagawang palabigasan ng ilan ang UAAP. Ang legitimate fans at supporters ay hindi makapanood ng mga laro sa mga venues dahil sa kagagawan ng mga scalpers at ng mga VIPs na sa Ticketnet level pa lang ay kino-corner na ang tickets para sa Patron at Lower Box. >:(

Howard the Duck
06-24-2008, 03:19 PM
a greater proportion of tickets should be allocated to the two competing teams' campuses?

batangueño
06-24-2008, 03:26 PM
Doon naman sa scheme na two tickets per person policy, matagal nang nalulusutan yan ng mga scalpers- dinadala nila ang lahat ng kapitbahay nila o buong barangay nila para pumila sa Araneta at bumili ng ticket. Isipin mo nga naman, sa sampung hatak ng isang scalper, meron na agad siyang instant na 20 tickets bukod pa sa dalawang tickets na siya mismo ang bumili. Talagang talo ang mga legitimate fans and supporters ng UAAP teams sa mga scalpers na ito na walang ibang iniisip kundi ang pagsamantalahan ang kanilang kapwa at gawing palabigasan ang ating liga. >:(

Get_Blazed
06-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Ibang version ng scalpers yung naencounter ko nung Season 82 ng NCAA. Imbes na marked-up, mas mura pa sa kanila bumili. Hahaha. Complimentary tickets siguro. ;D

A-boy97
06-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Best way to combat scalpers is for Araneta to stop selling tickets before gameday and just give all the tickets to the respective universities, particularly Ateneo-dlsu games, final four, finals, and playoff games. Pabayaan na lang na schools mismo magbenta ng tickets! At least mas madaling ma-monitor kung legit buyer ba or pang negosyo lang ang balak sa ticket.

And kung sa schools naman magbebenta, please make all sections available naman po. ;D

Sa case kasi ngayon, may allocation ang UAAP, may allocation Araneta so turuan na lang ng turuan kung kanino nanggaling yung mga tickets ng scalpers.

GHRanger
06-25-2008, 01:53 PM
^ To add: Another way to combat scalpers -- is not to buy from them no matter how desperate you are! :D

batangueño
06-25-2008, 03:28 PM
^ To add: Another way to combat scalpers -- is not to buy from them no matter how desperate you are! :D

Kabayan and fellow Lasallian GHRanger, mukhang mahirap yatang gawin ang sinasabi mong yan. ;D

However, I think what you just said is very true. Some fans resort to buying to scalpers out of desperation, especially when ticket supplies at the schools and at Ticketnet ran out (well, they might actually ran out because the scalpers bought them all) or when the decision to watch a UAAP game was done at the very last minute. It's just so sickening to see certain individuals who are cashing in on the UAAP through scalping- and these individuals should be PUNISHED for ruining the positive spirit of the sport and of the league. >:(

p.s. and Off-topic: Again, nangangailangan po ako ng isang Upper A ticket para sa July 5 at isang Upper A ticket para sa July 6. Willing po akong magbayad ng hanggang P400 para sa dalawang tickets na nabanggit. :-[

batangueño
06-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Sa case kasi ngayon, may allocation ang UAAP, may allocation Araneta so turuan na lang ng turuan kung kanino nanggaling yung mga tickets ng scalpers.

The current ticket allocation in the UAAP, which is actually being controlled by the host university (in Season 71's case, UP), is that 80 percent of the total number of tickets will be sold at the member universities while the remaining 20 percent will be the ones sold at the Araneta Coliseum ticket booths. The leftover tickets at the universities will be brought back to Ticketnet and be sold at the Araneta Coliseum ticket booths.

As for the possible sources of scalpers' tickets, they might have come from:

1. Ticketnet booths at the Araneta Coliseum or some of their contacts within Uniprom/Ticketnet itself;
2. Their contacts within the PE departments of universities;
3. Players who sell their ticket allocations in exchange for money (take note that each player has an allocation of up to ten tickets); and
4. Enterprising students and alumni who buy extra tickets only to be resold at exorbitant prices

THE ONLOOKER
06-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Minsan nga estudyante or alumnus ang scalper eh.

May mga ballboys/towel boys part-time scalpers e.