PDA

View Full Version : FEU in the 71st UAAP Basketball Tournament

Dark Knight
06-23-2008, 08:47 AM
Lets discuss here the Far Eastern University Tamaraws performace this coming UAAP.

:)

christian
06-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Great line up. You should be contending for the final four.

Dark Knight
06-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Game 1 July 5

ADU vs FEU Pregame

Whew, very hard to predict if my school will win this one. Both teams did well in the FilOil and NSL. Adamson have Austria back that could very well spell the difference for the Falcons. Hell, they defeated La Salle and FEU. So, what does this say? The Falcons are contenders now. Cursing them? No. It just goes to show that Adamson wont be push overs this season. I see them contending the last slot in the F4.

FEU? Two years of elimination must end. Very uncharacteristic for a traditional powerhouse Tamaraws. But reality bites here. They also did well in the pre season leagues. Entered the semis of both NSL and FilOil. But it doesnt mean we will once again be contenders. Last year, we lost to La Salle in the finals of the NSL. I thought we will be a force to reckon with come UAAP 70. But holy squirrel, we fell short again.

But chances are better now with the entry of Kave and asst coach Abuda. Although Kave didnt make much of an impression, i still think he will be an intimidating factor. Nice touch from 15ft and the mere Kobe look in him is sure to distract players.* :D

So, my lame prediction for our first game. Call me bias but it will be FEU by 8 points. No blowouts. Wait, we lost our first game last season to NU. But im keeping my 5 fingers crossed. Aaaaaaaaaaaaargggggghhhh...............cant do it at the same time.* ;D

Dark Knight
07-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Game 1, 1st quarter

My golly, FEU leading most of the first half, lead by as much as 11 points but the pesky Falcons kept coming back. All the tall men of Adamson can shoot from the outside. Nuyles, Colina, Olalia, Galinato........................my god, Galinato is one gem of a player scoring 12 points in the first half. The reason why FEU cant pull away for good.

FEU not bad either. Deep bench as baracael and Fernandez did not start and yet they somehow dominated the Falcons. Alisbo improved a lot. Cervantes and cawaling are hot. Flashes of brilliance in defense as they rack up steals but they cant do it for 12 minutes as Adamson kept the game close. High scoring ballgame is bad for the tams. If they want to win, they should limit their opponents to 60 points per game IMO.

Dark Knight
07-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Game 1 FEU 74 - ADU 71

Might as well give this to the Falcons. A bad 2nd half by the Tams, they just got lucky on that Knuttel trifecta. I think we were out rebounded. Austria proved to be a master tactician as he almost lead this "no star" team to victory. But kudos to Barocca's assisst. I Love You Jens. ;D

Hirap na hirap ang FEU, i dunno if they have what it takes to enter the F4 this season. If they almost bite the dust against Adamson, what more if they face La salle, Ateneo and UE? They could very well be 6 ft under. :D

FEU......Drive For 20!!!!

crew15
07-05-2008, 05:02 PM
buti nalang napasok ni knuttel yung 3....nice shot,pero for me AdU wins the game... ;D

batangueño
07-05-2008, 09:34 PM
GAME ONE: FEU Tamaraws def. Adamson Falcons, 74-71.

The first men's basketball game of UAAP Season 71 proved to be a thriller, as the FEU Tamaraws, touted to be this season's strongest team on paper, survived the onslaught of the vastly improved Adamson Falcons.

Everyone in the FEU line-up improved significantly. I would like to specifically mention Aldrich Ramos, who I think has improved significantly from last year. Jens Knuttel, the FEU-FERN alumnus who is the Tams' current starting point guard, is also vastly improved. Even Riel Cervantes also had a 180-degree improvement from last season. As always, Mac Baracael, Benedict Fernandez, JR Cawaling and Andi Barocca emerged as leaders of the team. Lastly, everyone should watch out for FEU foreign player Robert Kave (from Papua New Guinea) as he would surely give problems to other teams on the defensive aspect.

As for the Adamson Falcons, the return of Coach Leo Austria proved to be the reason for this team's vast improvement. He may only have Mark Agustin as a star player but everyone else knew when to step up when Leo draws his plays. I actually never imagined the Falcons being able to match-up evenly with the highly touted Tamaraws up to a point that they really threatened FEU until some end game jitters caused Adamson's defeat. Particular Falcons deserving of my "praises", well, they were Mike Galinato, Paul Gonzalgo and Jerick Cañada.

Get_Blazed
07-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Congratulations to the FEU Tamaraws for their opening day win. ;)

Joescoundrel
07-05-2008, 11:11 PM
FEU leaned on the 15 points of Reil Cervantes, the fourth period steadiness of Mac Baracael and the clutch trey of Jenz Knuttel to edge the hardfighting Adamson Falcons 74-71. The Tamaraws looked headed for the same fate they suffered at the hands of these same Falcons in the Fil-Oil until Knuttel's game-winning shot.

tamarawz_14
07-06-2008, 09:52 PM
dala na rin kasi ng excitement.. it seems overconfident and underestimate ung sa part ng tams.... nice game falcons...

bchoter
07-07-2008, 02:14 PM
The close game will only do good for the Tamaraws. Not only did they win but I'm sure it exposed some aspects of their game that they need to work on.

The_Big_Cat
07-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Coach Glenn Capacio opted for the veterans Baracael and Fernandez to come off the bench in the Adamson game.
Probably, to help balance the offense of the Tamaraws.

Dark Knight
07-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Game 2 July 12

FEU vs DLSU

And the so called rivalry continues. But this time, im confident FEU has what it takes to bring the mighty Archers down. DLSU had a rough time last year defeating us but this time, we will give them a run for their money. Control Casio and Rico and were good.

FEU's problem will be consistency. Cawaling waxed hot in the 1st half against Adamson, then dissapeared in the 2nd half. Sanga, Baracael and Adolfo were nowhere to be found. Cervantes and Knuttel will carry the load. Havent seen the Tams defense as we allowed 70 points for the Falcons.

My bias prediction, an upset by FEU. ;D

The_Big_Cat
07-08-2008, 11:59 AM
La Salle has no low-post threat and will depend on their perimeter game for scoring.

I'd say let Rico get his 20 points but don't let Casio, Barua or Mangahas score more than 10 pts.

coreytaylor
07-08-2008, 03:32 PM
FEU vs DLSU

My bias prediction, an upset by FEU.* ;D

pareng dark knight, naniniwala ako sayo! ;D

Dark Knight
07-12-2008, 06:36 PM
pareng Coreytaylor, so much for my prediction.

FEU defeated themselves. I thought FEU is on their way for an upset but consecutive three pointers by Barua brought back La Salle into the game and eventually winning it. FEU still lacks the end game experience. Cervantes is quiet and so is cawaling. Now im starting to believe FEU's win over Adamson is just tsamba..........wait............it is tsamba ;D.

We lost to the defending champions so that would be easier to swallow. :D

Dark Knight
07-12-2008, 11:36 PM
FEU 1-1

Game 3. FEU vs NU

And this time, im much more confident that we will win this one. FEU andNU split their elimination round last season but i think FEU has the edge now especially with the loss of Fernandez and Lingao Lingao. If FEU loses against NU, i will kneel on mongo beans for 3 hours.

FEU by 10. :)

batangueño
07-13-2008, 01:44 AM
De La Salle Green Archers def. FEU Tamaraws, 73-62.

An evenly matched game between the Archers and the Tamaraws where either team could have won it. However, it was the team with the luckiest of breaks, DLSU (through FEU's turnovers and fouls), which won the game.

DLSU:

* Great performance by PJ Barua, JV Casio and Rico Maierhofer. Barua's jumpers, most especially those three point shots, sank in while Casio's leadership and shooting abilities carried the team despite him still reeling from his recent injury and the seemingly strong stand being shown by the vastly improved FEU squad. On the other hand, Rico did a good job in getting those rebounds and operating underneath the basket but he was quite out of sync and he still tried sinking in jumpers many times, although one of his jump shots, a three-pointer, luckily sank in.

* What else could I say about Bader Malabes' "lucky shot"? It was great! :D

* I hope that the Archers would improve on their free throw shooting (free throw shooting during the game was still quite bad) and minimize on their turnovers.

FEU:

* Everyone on the FEU line-up improved significantly from last year. Outstanding Tamaraws on this particular game for me were JR Cawaling, Benedict Fernandez, Mac Baracael, Andi Barroca and Jens Knuttel.

* Robert Kave, the foreign player from Papua New Guinea, was not a factor in the game. He even got into foul trouble in the latter part of the game.

* Turnovers and fouls killed the Tamaraws.

stonecold316
07-13-2008, 02:34 AM
Game 2 July 12

FEU vs DLSU

And the so called rivalry continues. But this time, im confident FEU has what it takes to bring the mighty Archers down. DLSU had a rough time last year defeating us but this time, we will give them a run for their money. Control Casio and Rico and were good.

FEU's problem will be consistency. Cawaling waxed hot in the 1st half against Adamson, then dissapeared in the 2nd half. Sanga, Baracael and Adolfo were nowhere to be found. Cervantes and Knuttel will carry the load. Havent seen the Tams defense as we allowed 70 points for the Falcons.

My bias prediction, an upset by FEU. ;D

Tama ang prediction!
;D ;D ;D

stonecold316
07-13-2008, 02:36 AM
FEU 1-1

Game 3. FEU vs NU

And this time, im much more confident that we will win this one. FEU andNU split their elimination round last season but i think FEU has the edge now especially with the loss of Fernandez and Lingao Lingao. If FEU loses against NU, i will kneel on mongo beans for 3 hours.

FEU by 10. :)

10 points? wow. kaabang-abang eto.
goodluck sa FEU.

Dark Knight
07-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Thats why its called a prediction.

It may or may not happen. (Now, where are my mongo beans............................)

paul_tamaraws
07-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Turnovers and technical fouls really killed FEU in the endgame, Robert Kave was a non-factor in the entire game got only 2 pts. and has committed 4 fouls...

gider
07-16-2008, 08:20 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/UAAP%2071st/IMG_1632.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/UAAP%2071st/IMG_1660.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/UAAP%2071st/IMG_1687.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/UAAP%2071st/IMG_1682.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/gider/UAAP%2071st/IMG_1684.jpg

Istorbo
07-16-2008, 10:17 PM
This game should be put under rematch request.The referee who did this game is being suspended indefinitely on allegations of game fixing.

batangueño
07-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Congratulations to the FEU Tamaraws for winning today's ball game over the UP Maroons. :)

I was at the ULTRA earlier today to watch today's two games. Sadly, from the outset of the first quarter, the Maroons-Tamaraws match-up was a complete mismatch. The taller, deeper and more athletic FEU line-up simply outplayed UP offensively and defensively. Almost everyone in the FEU line-up did very well in today's game, most especially Benedict Fernandez, whose three-pointers sank in successfully to bury the Maroons alive, and Aldreich Ramos, who simply imposed his height advantage over his much smaller counterparts from Diliman. The blowout of the Maroons did not come as a surprise given the total domination of the Tamaraws in all aspects of the game.

If there was a bright side to today's game as far as the Maroons were concerned, that would be Magi Sison. Sison is slowly doing what he has done a long time ago- be a force underneath the basket. Being the only 6'5" and up player in Coach Aboy Castro's line-up, Sison should, as often as possible, stay as close to the basket as possible to get all those rebounds, shoot the ball from underneath and impose his height over his opponents. I also would like to commend Sison for being more cautious in using his fouls given the fact that he is, so far, one of the better Maroons nowadays (the others being Jay Agbayani, Andrew Marfori and Martin Reyes).

Sam Miguel
07-18-2008, 10:17 AM
FEU imposed its superior size and athleticism on over-matched State U to prevail 88-66 and get back on track in Round 1. FEU had previously lost to defending champion Lasalle, after which the referee officiating that game was suspended by the league for questionable calls in the end-game.

Veteran guards Jonathan Fernandez and Marlon Adolfo went to town early - Adolofo nailed back to back treys in the first period, then Fernandez scattered 12 of his team high 16 points throughout the remainder of the first half - as they had the Fighting Maroons backpedaling. Paul Sanga, still trying to get his basketball legs back to 100%, nailed a buzzer-beater to end the first half on a very high note for the boys from Morayta 52-31.

UP however game roaring back to start the second half as veterans power forward Jay Agbayani and much improved 6-foot-7 center Magi Sison presided over a furious Maroons rallye to bring State within 54-45. They reduced the deficit to single digits on a reverse four-point play as Sison cleaned up off a missed and-1 freethrow by Agbayani.

JR Cawaling, Aldrech Ramos and Reil Cervantes however hunkered down to give FEU the 61-45 lead and the Tamaraws were never seriously threatened after that. Cawaling shot over the head of Martin Reyes while Cervantes asserted himself off the offensive boards for a put-back.

Paul Sorongon, Arvie Braganze and Woody Co and Sison tried to keep up the fight; pointguard Mike Gamboa also stuck in a three-ball as UP stayed within 71-60 midway through the fourth period. But FEU was simply too big and too fast as Mac Baracael went to work inside and New Guinea import Robert Kave pounded the boards and tightened up on defense against the UP frontline.

Fernandez finished with 16 points, Ramos 14 and nine boards. Agbayani had 12 points for State.

Dark Knight
07-18-2008, 02:18 PM
I have no doubts whatsoever that FEU will pull this one.

The only problem for FEU is their 2nd half collapse. UP almost tied the ballgame at the end of the third quarter. Just like what happened in their match against DLSU. Big lead in the first half only to let go in the 2nd half. Mukhang kinakabahan pa sila. Hopefully they will do much better against NU.

Dark Knight
07-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Game 4 FEU vs UST

Evenly matched i might say. Both athletic. Both has perimeter shooters. The only discrepancy................post player in Jervy Cruz. Good news. Put Kave on Jervy. Mirza is out. Cawaling is like a fluctuating light bulb. Japs is a speedster. But Barroca is stronger.

Here again is my undying prediction. UST by 4 ponts. :P

batangueño
07-20-2008, 06:20 PM
FEU def. UST, 70-65. Fernandez went on fire from the perimeter while UST finds it hard to adjust without Cuan manning the one-spot.

Dark Knight
07-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Thank God for the win. Now, were running second to Ateneo. But we still have tough assignments ahead against the mighty Ateneo and UE. NU, well, we can win against them. Japs loss proved to be fatal to the Tigers as Fortuna's inexperience showed with his crucial turnovers. Allera and Fernandez went on head to head until Allera's injury. Jervy was nowhere to be found as he was grounded. Mirza is still off.

Cawaling again is kinalawang. Kave need more minutes. Good end game composure by the Tams. They already won two close games. Looking forward to our next opponent.

Joescoundrel
07-21-2008, 01:59 AM
Far Eastern played just hard enough to beat Santo Tomas 70-65 in today's main game.

Fifth year veteran guard Benedict Fernandez went a perfect five for five from three-point range and had a game high 24 points to lead the charge of the Tamaraws. Fernandez hit his last trey on an awkward buzzer-beater to keep FEU at a safe distance 56-52 late in the third period. Pointguard Mark "Babyface" Barroca had eight points and six assists, barely eye-popping numbes - but conspired with 6-foot-1 swingman Marlon Adolfo in critical stretches in the fourth period to keep the Tigers at bay.

It did not help that key Tigers - forward Dylan Ababou and swingman Khazim Mirza - fouled out with still plenty of time on the clock. Further compounding the Tigers' woes is the injury to starting pointguard Japs Cuan, who came in with a heavily cast leg. Cuan reportedly is out for the remainder of the season.

bchoter
07-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Cawaling was too busy doing an acting job on the refs. He's throws himself 5 feet away even with the slightest of nudge. Babyface did a good job quarterbacking and Knuttel did an even finer job backing him up. Credit shold also be given to Baracael for allowing FEU to put singe coverage on Jervy. It's already hard for the Tigers to get the ball to Jervy minus Japs, Baracael made it even harder. His strength allowed him to push Jervy a bit higher and his mobility and length allowed him to front Jervy. Ramos also did well with his put backs.

Dark Knight
07-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Game 5. FEU vs UE

Despite the warriors loss against the falcons, im still giving UE the edge against the Tams. Llagas, Espiritu, Thiele, Arellano and Martinez could very well be the best starting 5 in the UAAP.

Matches are

Arellano vs Fernandez
Barroca vs Martinez
Espiritu vs Baracael
Llagas vs Cawaling
Thiele vs Cervantes

UE will be very eager to vent its ire against the Tams. While FEU will ride on their surging confidence after placing 2nd behind Ateneo. Bench advantage to UE with Bandaying, Lingganay and Zamar. Plus the return of Paul Lee.

UE by 10. ;)

bchoter
07-23-2008, 12:55 PM
I just discovered that I work out at the same gym (oi mga wise cracks na PACKialameros... oo hindi halatang nag g-gym ako) with the FEU nutritionist. Kung alam ko lang sana pinahiran ko ng substance na may e-coli yung tuwalya niya habang hindi siya nakatingin bago yung game ng UST-FEU.

stonecold316
07-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Nice one manong. Anyway, good luck na sa FEU against UE. Mag work kaya acting job ni Cawaling against UE? we will find out after the game. ;D ;D ;D

Anyway, alam na rin kasi ng FEU players kung pano mag-adjust sa tawag ng NABRO refs. Sana yung ibang team ganon din.

marmand
07-24-2008, 09:27 PM
Heard Barachael got shot. Lets pray for him. :(

jembengzon
07-24-2008, 09:51 PM

tutoo ba ito ? why ? what's the cause ? ???

marmand
07-24-2008, 09:53 PM

Someone walked up to him and just shot him. He was with Cabagnot and Kave.

sa_pula
07-24-2008, 09:56 PM
^^ grabe! totoo ba to?..

marmand
07-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Lets just pray for him.

jembengzon
07-24-2008, 10:02 PM

tutoo ba ito ?* why ? what's the cause ? ???

marmand, do you know how long ago this took place, and what's his status now ?

marmand
07-24-2008, 10:04 PM

Critical. Just this evening

marmand, do you know how long ago this took place, and what's his status now ?

sa_pula
07-24-2008, 10:07 PM
ayon sa pex sa jollibee morayta daw sya binaril..

marmand
07-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Yes sa kanto ng R. Papa

Sam Miguel
07-24-2008, 10:09 PM
FEU coaching staff just informed us that he is in hospital, critical, shot in or near the heart.

What the hell is the UAAP coming to ... ?

batangueño
07-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Ha? Anong nangyari? :o

I hope Mac is doing fine. Nakakabigla naman ang pangyayari na ito.

sa_pula
07-24-2008, 10:17 PM
FEU coaching staff just informed us that he is in hospital, critical, shot in or near the heart.

What the hell is the UAAP coming to ... ?

naku naman delikado nga yan..sana malagpasan ni baracael yan..

palagay ko holdaper yan....madami kasi holdaper sa lugar na yan e...nakakapagtaka lang ang tapang naman ng humoldap na yon eh kasama nya pa si kave at cabagnot na naglalakihan....mafia?

batangueño
07-24-2008, 10:17 PM
FEU player critically wounded in gun attack
abs-cbnnews.com (http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/storypage.aspx?StoryId=126272)

A basketball player of the Far Eastern University is now fighting for his life at a hospital in Manila after a gunman shot him near the FEU campus after practice Thursday night.

"Mac Baracael just got shot near Philtrust corner Morayta and R. Papa now fighting for his life at Mary Chiles hospital," said FEU president Anton Montinola.

Montinola added that the assailant shot Baracael twice with a .45 pistol.

The victim was walking with fellow FEU players Ron Cabagnot and Robert Kave to buy food when the incident took place near the campus gymnasium.

Montinola said that Baracael was the target.

An initial report from the hospital said a bullet went through the victim's back and came out in front.

Baracael is a third-year power forward for the FEU Tamaraws in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines.

Dark Knight
07-24-2008, 10:31 PM
DAMN YOU WHOEVER YOU ARE WHO SHOT MAC BARACAEL!!!!!!!!! HOPE YOU BURN IN HELL FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>:( >:( >:(

Dark Knight
07-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Sana lang hindi sya nautusan lang dahil malaking implikasyon ito sa liga pag totoo ang hinala ko.

1. Ano ang motibo?

2. Nahuli ba ang salarin?

3. Talaga bang holdap ang pakay?

4. O may iba pang dahilan sa likod ng pangyayari?

batangueño
07-24-2008, 10:38 PM
This is a really sad day for the UAAP. Whoever did this dastardly and cowardly act on Mac Baracael should be brought to justice. Because of it, Mac is now fighting for his life at the Mary Chiles Hospital in Gastambide. Damn that @sshole who did this to Mac. >:(

Well anyway, based on the news reports that I am reading right now, it seems that:

1. Mac Baracael was the specific target of the gunman;
2. Mac was shot at close range given the kind of shots that he sustained; and
3. A professional gunman was behind this dastardly and cowardly act.

tigerman
07-24-2008, 10:39 PM
If Baracael was really the target, I guess the robbery angle is no longer applicable.

Violence acts on and off the court have no place in the uaap or any league for that matter.

Godspeed Mr. Baracael.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
07-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Sana lang hindi sya nautusan lang dahil malaking implikasyon ito sa liga pag totoo ang hinala ko.

Talaga bang holdap ang pakay?

Baka hindi din holdap ang motibo. Kasi di ba kasama ni Baracael si Kave at Cabagnot nung nangyari yung pagbaril?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

batangueño
07-24-2008, 10:42 PM
If it was a robbery attempt, Baracael should have been shot from the front and not from the back. So far, based on news reports, the bullets were fired from the back and exited Mac's chest. There was, obviously, premeditation and treachery and intent on the part of the gunman to kill Mac.

I hope and pray for Mac's recovery.

nicksy
07-24-2008, 10:45 PM
it is hard to speculate if the incident was Basketball related or it was personal , or maybe he was misidentified as somebody else. hopefully the MPD will take action on this, and the shooter will be apprehended.

on behalf of the NCAA Community,
we pray on to his Recovery, and hopefully he will be out of danger in no time.

we condemn these violent actions, and also pray for the conscience of the Shooter and his cohorts.

Animo San Beda

lurkinggood
07-24-2008, 10:46 PM
This is so unfortunate. Our prayers go to Mr. Baracael and his family.

sa_pula
07-24-2008, 10:55 PM

Talaga bang holdap ang pakay?

Baka hindi din holdap ang motibo. Kasi di ba kasama ni Baracael si Kave at Cabagnot nung nangyari yung pagbaril?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

yon nga e kasama si kave at cabagnot..ang lalaking tao kahit pa may baril yon kung ordinaryong holdaper yon malamang matatakot din yon at magaalangan lapitan ang ganong kalalaking tao..

batangueño
07-24-2008, 11:01 PM
FEU star Baracael shot, in critical condition
by Tony L. Atayde
inboundpass.com (http://www.inboundpass.com/2008/07/24/feu-star-baracael-shot-in-critical-condition/)

FAR EASTERN University mainstay Mac Baracael was shot tonight, July 24, 2008.

Baracael was reported to have been with teammates Ron Cabagnot and Robert Kave outside the FEU gym when a car drove by and a shot simultaneously heard.

After Cabanot and Kave looked around, they saw a bloodied Baracael on the ground. The shooting occurred at the corner of Morayta and R. Papa streets, near a Philtrust bank branch.

Cabagnot and Kave said that they did not see who fired the shot. Unconfirmed reports say that Baracael was shot twice at the back with a .45 caliber, with the bullets penetrating his body.

As of presstime, Baracael is in critical condition at the Mary Chiles Hospital in Sampaloc, Manila.
This is a horrific and unfortunate incident that warrants our thoughts and prayers.

inboundpass.com is one with Baracael’s family, loved ones and the entire FEU and basketball community in praying for his speedy recovery.

sa_pula
07-24-2008, 11:04 PM
by Tony L. Atayde
inboundpass.com (http://www.inboundpass.com/2008/07/24/feu-star-baracael-shot-in-critical-condition/)

Baracael was reported to have been with teammates Ron Cabagnot and Robert Kave outside the FEU gym when a car drove by and a shot simultaneously heard.

After Cabanot and Kave looked around, they saw a bloodied Baracael on the ground. The shooting occurred at the corner of Morayta and R. Papa streets, near a Philtrust bank branch.

Cabagnot and Kave said that they did not see who fired the shot. Unconfirmed reports say that Baracael was shot twice at the back with a .45 caliber, with the bullets penetrating his body.

As of presstime, Baracael is in critical condition at the Mary Chiles Hospital in Sampaloc, Manila.
This is a horrific and unfortunate incident that warrants our thoughts and prayers.

inboundpass.com is one with Baracael’s family, loved ones and the entire FEU and basketball community in praying for his speedy recovery.

sa report ng inboundpass, malabong holdap toh..

bluewing
07-24-2008, 11:05 PM
One Big Fight, Mac Baracael.

Our prayers are with you. *:(

nokia
07-24-2008, 11:07 PM
Kasama ko kanina ang ilang UP MBT players, including Mark Lopez at Jomar Paulino na parehong galing sa Feu-fern, nung nalaman namin ang balita. Agad nilang tinawagan ang mga kaibigan nila sa FEU team at pinaaabot nila ang kanilang dasal para kay Mac Baracael.

just got this update. Mac is in stable condition.Concsious siya and will be transferred to Capitol Medical.

nash_bedista
07-24-2008, 11:20 PM
siguro may kinalaman sa Babae yan, kasi malabong Holdap yan, nakasakay ata sa kotse. Drop-by yung ginawa ng Suspect, at kung sino ka mang Bumaril kay Baracael, mag tago tago kana dahil stable na si Mac.

Speedy Recovery kay Mac...

sa_pula
07-24-2008, 11:43 PM
napanood ko sa balita kanina wala daw narinig na putok kayat maaaring may silencer yung ginamit na baril..

Dark Knight
07-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Salamat sa lahat ng nakiramay sa ka Tamaraw kong si Mac Baracael. Hindi talaga patas ang buhay. May mga taong gagawin ang lahat para sa kanyang sariling interes. Sa taong bumaril at sa likod nito.

Hindi lamang si Mac Mac ang sinaktan mo.

Sinaktan mo ang pamilya nya.

Sinaktan mo ang buong UAAP.

Sinaktang mo ang buong komunidad ng FEU.

Sinaktan mo ang mga tagahanga nya.

Sinaktan mo mga kaibigan nya.

Sinira mo ang larong basketbol.

Ginalit mo ako!

....at ikaw na sobrang duwag............MASAYA ka ba sa ginawa mo? Eh kung mangyari ito sa pamilya mo?

Masaya ka rin ba?

DUWAG!!

vannnesssa
07-25-2008, 12:01 AM
I deeply pray for the fast recovery of Mac Baracael.

Being his fan and friend, sobrang nabigla talaga ako sa pangyayari. Sa lahat pa talaga, bakit kay Mac pa nangyari yun. Hindi talaga patas yung ginawa sa kanya. And yes, tama po kayong lahat, DUWAG yung gumawa nun sa kanya!

Thank God Mac's in a stable condition na.

batangueño
07-25-2008, 12:04 AM
FEU basketball player shot, in critical condition
GMANews.tv (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/109185/FEU-basketball-player-shot-in-critical-condition)
07/24/2008 | 11:05 PM

MANILA, Philippines – A varsity player of the Far Eastern University senior men’s basketball team is fighting for his life after he was shot Thursday just outside the FEU premises.

Mac Baracael was at the operating room of nearby Mary Chiles Hospital where his FEU teammates rushed him.

According to Anton Montinola, the FEU representative to the Board of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines, Baracael, a key player on the FEU rotation, was shot just outside the Philtrust Bank at the corner of Morayta and R. Papa streets.

“He was with two other players when a lone gunman shot using a .45-caliber pistol," Montinola said.

Montinola said in a text message that the gunman walked away after he fired two shots.

Dr. Honesto Marcos of the surgery department of the hospital said that Baracael was brought to the emergency room at around 8:35 p.m. by teammates and was taken to the operating room immediately after.

[b]“The point of entry of the bullet was approximately through the lower thorax posterior aspect, left side, and then it exited just below the nipple line," Marcos said.

Montinola said Baracael’s parents had been notified and were on their way to Manila from Quezon province. – GMANews.TV

batangueño
07-25-2008, 01:02 AM
GMA News video: Saksi: Gunman shoots FEU cager Macmac Baracael (http://www.gmanews.tv/video/26206/-Saksi--Gunman-shoots-FEU-cager-Macmac-Baracael)

stonecold316
07-25-2008, 01:38 AM
I covered the police beat before and I'm very well sure na hindi robbery ang motive ng suspect. If that was robbery dapat tinutukan niya si Mac at kinuha either cell phone niya or wallet niya. Isa pa, premeditated ang pangyayari what with the suspect bringing a silencer in order not to attract attention after he shot Mac Baracael on his back. Obviously, hit-man ang suspect with the way he handled himself when he committed the crime.

Possible motive could be either personal or basketball related. Malalaman natin yan base na rin sa testimony na ibibigay ni Mac when he recovers at sa imbestigasyon na gagawin ng Manila Police District. One thing is also clear on this case: May nag-utos sa tao na iyun na barilin si Mac. Someone who must be powerful and has money to hire a hit-man os behind this.

Nakakalungkot ang pangyayari. I just hope and pray that police immediately arrest the suspect and determine who ordered the shooting. I also pray for Mac's speedy recovery and hopefully makabalik siya sa paglalaro this year.

To the FEU fans and supporters: huwag mawawalan ng pag-asa. Kahit wala si Mac, I'm sure your Tamaraws will fight for pride day in, day out.

;) ;) ;)

5FootCarrot
07-25-2008, 07:30 AM
just got this update. Mac is in stable condition.Concsious siya and will be transferred to Capitol Medical.

I fervently hope this is true (not that I am doubting the source :) ) - I logged on as soon as I read the article in the newspaper.

I am very sorry to hear that this has come to pass and I am hoping and praying that Mac Baracael recovers quickly and the perpetrator is brought to justice even sooner. If this is indeed basketball-related, and I would not be surprised if it was, I am shocked at the depths to which people will sink to get ahead :(

Get well soon, Mac!

Joescoundrel
07-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Friends in the Manila Police Department have ruled out robbery since Baracael was the only one attacked.

The gunman used a silencer, double-tapped when he fired, calmly removed the silencer, holstered his weapon then walked away as if nothing happened according to witnesses at the scene.

Baracael was with 6-foot-5 Robert Kave and 6-foot-2 Ron Cabagnot. Baracael is himself 6-foot-4. The gunmen was described as between 5-foot-4 and 5-foot-6. It was relatively early on a well-lit and crowded street.

The motive seems simply enough: either personal (woman / women, stalker, plain old psycho?) or out and out criminal (gambling, as in he may have declined given what happened to RJ Gerilla ... ?) I hope its not a fraternity thing, its too early in the semester. Does even Baracael belong to a frat...?

Either way to the people behind this F--- YOU!

mighty_lion
07-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Kung sino ka man gago ka, mamatay ka na sana.

gfy
07-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Kave's dad wants him to go home na. Sama talaga ang nangyayari. Di lang sa basketball kundi sa ating lipunan. Ang dali pumatay ng tao.

The_Big_Cat
07-25-2008, 11:00 AM
by Tony L. Atayde

sa report ng inboundpass, malabong holdap toh..

Holdap? Naka silencer daw. So the intent is to harm.
Baka may mga CCTV cameras ang mga commercial establishments around that incident na pwedeng tingnan ng mga Pulis.
Get well Mac.

batangueño
07-25-2008, 12:51 PM
While he was able to survive an attempt on his life, Mac Baracael may now have to face the toughest challenge of his life, as he had suffered a punctured left lung as a result of the bullet piercing through his body. He also had two broken ribs, perhaps as a result of him falling on the pavement after being shot.

Mac is still under observation in the ICU of a Metro Manila hospital.

Schortsanitis
07-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Kave's dad wants him to go home na. Sama talaga ang nangyayari. Di lang sa basketball kundi sa ating lipunan. Ang dali pumatay ng tao.

'Yan ang masama.' Kave was with Baracael, when the incident happened. He's a foreigner, and could've gotten shot, too.

wantok007
07-25-2008, 01:40 PM

Mark Molina assured Robert's dad that it was an isolated case. I have personally spoken to Robert Kave too! He was obviously shaken but seems to be "okay" now.

stonecold316
07-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Get well soon Mac.

mltan
07-25-2008, 04:42 PM
we wish nothing but the best to Mac and pray for his speedy recovery. kaya mo to lampasan!!! i hope he comes back to play hopefully in the UAAP, from what i heard, he's a good person on and off the court.

Howard the Duck
07-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Get well soon to Mac! :)

batangueño
07-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Shooting of cager may be basketball-related – cop
GMANews.tv (http://www.gmanews.tv/story/109399/Shooting-of-cager-may-be-basketball-related--cop)
07/25/2008 | 05:36 PM

MANILA, Philippines - Police refused to speculate if game-fixing had something to do with the shooting of Marcel Baracel, star basketball player of the Far Eastern University Tamaraws, who's still recuperating at the Capitol Medical Center in Quezon City.

But it could be a basketball-related crime, according to Police Officer 1 Sherwin Yumul of Manila Police District Station 4, which has jurisdiction over the capital city's Sampaloc district.

"We cannot say game-fixing. Not yet," he said. "But we are looking the possibility of his being a varsity player as possible motive. We cannot speculate. And besides, we have yet to talk to the victim who is still recuperating. We have to get statements first of his teammates and others to help us establish the lead."

Baracel was shot at about 8:20 p.m. at the corner of R. Papa and Nicanor Reyes Streets in Sampaloc while walking with teammates Ryan Cabagnot and Robert Kabe.

They had come from the FEU gym and were on their way home, when a man walked up to them and shot Baracel in the back, the bullet exiting through the cager's chest.

His teammates took him first to Mary Chiiles Hospital, and he was later transferred to the Capitol Medical Center.

Witnesses described the gunman as about 5’-1" tall, wearing a red T-shirt, short pants, and of slippers. He also had a backpack.

Arnie Minique, 38, vendor, told police that the gunman fled toward Espana Avenue. He apparently used a gun with a silencer, which he put inside his backpack before walking casually away from the scene.

Police found two shells from a .45-caliber pistol in front of the PhilTrust Bank.. - GMANews.TV

Joescoundrel
07-26-2008, 10:08 AM
What were the statements of Robert Kave and Ron Cabagnot regarding this incident? They were right there so surely they must have something to say. And what about the usual tambays there? At least one of them even demonstrated on TV how it all went down, so surely at least that one guy has something to say.

stonecold316
07-26-2008, 01:34 PM
TEMPO

Cops probe FEU cager’s shooting

The Manila Police District (MPD) is digging deeper into the shooting and wounding in Sampaloc, Manila, on Thursday night of Marcel Baracel, 23, bachelor, basketball player of the Far Eastern University Tamaraws.

Baracel was first taken to Mary Chiles Hospital in Sampaloc before he was transferred to Capitol Medical Center in Quezon City for treatment. He was shot at the back of the body and the bullet exited through the chest.

The gunman was described as about 5’1" tall, clad in red T-shirt, short pants. He was wearing a pair of slippers and carrying backpack.

Police Officer 1 Sherwin Yumul, of the MPD-Station 4 (Sampaloc), said the shooting incident occurred at 8:20 p.m. at the corner of R. Papa and Nicanor Reyes Streets.

Police said the victim, along with his teammates Ryan Cabagnot and Robert Kabe, was walking when unidentified man approached and shot him.

The three had come from the FEU gym and were on their way home when the incident occurred.

Arnie Minique, 38, vendor, told police that the gunman fled towards España Boulevard after the shooting. elated angle behind the shooting. (Jeamma E. Sabate)

canmaker
07-26-2008, 07:04 PM
congrats FEU on a fantastic game today

gabriel
07-26-2008, 07:15 PM
congrats, nice game ;D

The_Big_Cat
07-26-2008, 07:23 PM
Great game by the Tamaraws. They now climbed at the second spot of the standings.

Inspite of commiting more turnovers than UE, execution and superb defense was the factor for the win.
The playlmaking of Barroca was crucial down the stretch. Marlon Adolfo hit two field goals late as their shot clock was about to expire and one of them was a game tying three.

FEU's athletic big men matched UE's own athletic big men.

Dark Knight
07-26-2008, 08:45 PM
ONE FOR MAC BARACAEL!!!!!!!

stonecold316
07-27-2008, 01:58 AM
One for Mac Baracael?
Diba parang One for UST yun?
;D ;D ;D

Oh, well. Para naman kay Mac Baracael eh. Sige na nga!

stonecold316
07-27-2008, 02:13 AM
(Update) UAAP: Fired up FEU Tams nip UE Warriors, 71-69
07/26/2008 | 06:28 PM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
MANILA, Philippines – The FEU Tamaraws, all fired up to win for their injured teammate, rallied from 10- points down and survived a fierce endgame exchange with the UE Red Warriors to squeeze out a 71-69 win in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament Saturday at the PhilSports Arena in Pasig City.

Marnel Baracael, a vital cog in the Tamaraws rotation, is still recuperating at the Capitol Medical Center after being shot Thursday night outside the FEU campus for reasons yet unconfirmed.

Benedict Fernandez once again provided the needed spark for the Tamaraws scoring 19 points to lead FEU to its fourth win in five games. JR Cawaling added 12 points, three rebounds, and three assists.

Both teams exchanged baskets up to the final two minutes of the game as neither blinked, either hitting long-range bombs and short jumpers or making fastbreak layups.

“The Tamaraws are a strong team, we can’t afford to be careless (when we play against them)," said UE mentor Dindo Pumaren before the game.

With this in mind, the Red Warriors stepped up their defense causing early problems for the Tamaraws. FEU committed 13 turnovers in the first half as a result of that UE choking defense.

The Red Warriors waxed hot early in the game and were poised to break the game wide open when they built a 10-point spread, 43-33, barely two minutes gone in the third period.

But FEU would not go down that easily and mounted a furious comeback to keep the game close until the dying seconds of the match.

Andy Barroca, who was error prone early in the game, stepped up in the final 36 seconds.

Barroca eluded the defense of Elmer Espiritu drove straight to the basket to score the go-ahead basket that gave FEU a 68-66 lead. He then iced the game for the Tamaraws at the free throw line that completed his redemption. – Andrew Lanot

Dark Knight
07-27-2008, 08:14 AM
One for Mac Baracael?
;D ;D ;D

Di naman patented yung statement so anybody can use it. ::)

Dark Knight
07-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Game 6

Ateneo vs FEU

Baracael playing or not, i dont think, even in the slightest pigment of my imagination, we can win against the mighty Blue Eagles. Ateneo is simply awesome this season. The sweet shooter Tiu and the prolific Rabeh, this team is championship bound. Just put Kave against Rabeh so we can at least prevent their post game then, lets see what will happen.

The only reason FEU can pull an upset is the Baracael incident. Hope it will serve as their motivation to win against all odds. Just like what they did to UE.

Ateneo by 8.

batangueño
07-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Tamaraws win one for Baracael; Archers score in UAAP
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer (http://sports.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view/20080727-150931/Tamaraws-win-one-for-Baracael-Archers-score-in-UAAP)
First Posted 01:08:00 07/27/2008

THE FAR EASTERN TAMARAWS, POURING THEIR EMOTIONS on the playing court, slipped past the University of the East Warriors with a 71-69 squeaker in the 71st UAAP men’s basketball competition Saturday at the PhilSports Arena.

Andy Barroca shattered a 66-66 deadlock with 36 seconds left, before Aldrech Ramos sank two free throws off an Elmer Espiritu foul to give the grimly determined Tamaraws a 70-66 lead with nine ticks remaining.

It was an emotional win for the Tamaraws, who played their hearts out two days after star forward Mac Baracael was shot by an unknown assailant just outside the FEU gym.

The Warriors, however, placed the game under protest with team captain Marcy Arellano signing the score sheet right after the match. UE team officials said “certain calls will be questioned,” but did not elaborate further.

Unless the protest is upheld, the Tamaraws will be in third place with a 4-1 record with the Warriors dropping to 3-3.

Earlier, La Salle overwhelmed University of the Philippines, 82-60, to remain solo second at 5-1 with its fifth straight triumph.

The Archers pulled away with a strong second half anchored on Rico Maierhofer, who buried 10 of his 14 points in the third period and hauled down nine rebounds.

The Tamaraws played as if nothing had shaken their competitiveness.

Baracael, still confined in a hospital, had been declared “out of danger” yesterday. But the 23-year-old cager is still being monitored while recovering from a single gunshot that punctured his lungs and fractured two ribs (See related story on A27).

“Anyone could have won that game; it was our desire and heart that helped us win,” said FEU coach Glenn Capacio. “Going into this game, we had no concentration in practice. We cut it because we weren’t focused. It was a team effort, both in offense and defense.”

The Tamaraws clearly made the unfortunate incident their rallying point with the No. 12, Baracael’s number, patched on their jerseys and taped on their shoes. Benedict Fernandez also had a rosary visibly tucked in his shorts.

“They gave their best for Macmac,” said Capacio. “I’m touched by what the players did. Instead of me motivating them, they motivated me. The boys gave such a huge effort.”

With the Tamaraws up at 70-66, Hans Thiele nailed a triple to push the Warriors within a point, 70-69, with 2.8 seconds.

Forced to stop the game clock, the Warriors fouled Barroca, who grabbed a key rebound in the dwindling seconds after missing the second of his two free throws.

Fernandez, finishing with a game-high 19 points, carried the Tamaraws early in the third quarter by drilling 10 straight points that tied the game at 43.

The Warriors had posted a double-digit edge for the first time, 43-33, following a fiery run after the break that started with two Rudy Lingganay treys.

Down, 43-49, after triples from Warriors Paul Lee and Paul Zamar, the Tamaraws went on a 10-2 rally capped by a JR Cawaling three-pointer to wrest the lead at 53-51.

eightyfiver
07-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Di naman patented yung statement so anybody can use it.* ::)

Yes, even the Inquirer used the same line for their story on the FEU win.

Congrats FEU! One for Baracael!

john_paul_manahan
07-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Game 6

Ateneo vs FEU

Baracael playing or not, i dont think, even in the slightest pigment of my imagination, we can win against the mighty Blue Eagles. Ateneo is simply awesome this season. The sweet shooter Tiu and the prolific Rabeh, this team is championship bound. Just put Kave against Rabeh so we can at least prevent their post game then, lets see what will happen.

The only reason FEU can pull an upset is the Baracael incident. Hope it will serve as their motivation to win against all odds. Just like what they did to UE.

Ateneo by 8.

saw the final moments of the game. maganda yung set-up kay andi-4.

this team kinda scares me. who knows what emo waves this could bring. whatever happens, i wish marnel a speedy recovery. hopefully he could resume his ballin' career soon.

stonecold316
07-28-2008, 02:17 AM
One for Mac Baracael?
;D ;D ;D

OT: Sige na nga. Sabi mo eh.
Pero, may pinagkuhanan ka pa rin.
::) ::) ::)

Anyway, good luck na lang sa next games ninyo.

Dark Knight
07-28-2008, 08:47 AM
One for Mac Baracael?
;D ;D ;D

Bakit, kayo ba original?* ::) ::) ::)

I heard that statement since im in high school in the early 80's.* ::) ::) ::)

Its a general statement used worlwide in sports. ::) ::) ::)

stonecold316
07-28-2008, 06:09 PM
One for Mac Baracael?
;D ;D ;D

Bakit, kayo ba original? ::) ::) ::)

I heard that statement since im in high school in the early 80's. ::) ::) ::)

Its a general statement used worlwide in sports. ::) ::) ::)

Ows, talaga lang huh. Sure ka ba diyan? Sabagay madami naman cheers ang nagagaya eh. At dahil mas matanda ka sakin, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Pero sa UAAP, ang original eh ONE FOR USTe.
Malinaw po ba iyun sir?
:D :D :D

nastrans
07-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Hay naku yan lang pagaawayan nyo pa....

Dark Knight
07-28-2008, 08:02 PM
One for Mac Baracael?
;D ;D ;D

Bakit, kayo ba original?* ::) ::) ::)

I heard that statement since im in high school in the early 80's.* ::) ::) ::)

Its a general statement used worlwide in sports.* ::) ::) ::)

Ows, talaga lang huh. Sure ka ba diyan? Sabagay madami naman cheers ang nagagaya eh. At dahil mas matanda ka sakin, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

Pero sa UAAP, ang original eh ONE FOR USTe.
Malinaw po ba iyun sir?
:D :D :D

Ok Mr Thomasian wannabe.

ONE FOR blank........logically means you WIN one for that person/team. In this case, FEU won one for Baracael against UE, thus One For Baracael. I dont care if it was being used by other person/team.

Ang original, yung kayo ang nag conceptualize. Like Go USTE, Go USTE, Go, Go Go, Go...........

Or, One Big Fight.

Or, Get that ball

or.......... ::)

Or,............. ::)

stonecold316
07-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Sabi ko nga sige na eh. One for Baracael na nga.
;D ;D ;D

By the way, hindi ako mr. Thomasian Wannabe. Ako po si STONECOLD316. Gets?

Get well soon Mac.

stonecold316
07-28-2008, 08:41 PM
No return date yet for FEU basketball player Baracael
07/28/2008 | 08:05 PM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
MANILA, Philippines – Far Eastern University (FEU) Tamaraws coach Glen Capacio is not sure when prized forward Marcel Baracael would suit up for the team.

Capacio said Baracael was still recovering at the Capitol Medical Center after being shot last week while walking home at the corner of R. Papa and Nicanor Reyes streets near the FEU campus in Sampaloc, Manila.

Baracael suffered a single gunshot wound with the bullet fracturing two of his ribs and also affecting his lungs.

The FEU forward is already out of harm's way, but Capacio said he is not sure when would suit up again.

“We still have no news for his return. We’re not sure if he can play in the second round since the doctors did not gave us a timetable of his return," said Capacio.

With Baracael out, Capacio is hoping the entire team would step up their game when his Tams face the league-leading Ateneo Blue Eagles on Thursday in the UAAP men’s basketball tournament.

“Kulang kami ng players so I expect the others to step up," Capacio said.

The Tamaraws are fresh from a come-from-behind 71-69 win over the University of the East Red Warriors, where they rallied from a 10-point third-quarter deficit to claim their fourth win in five games.

The defensive-minded Eagles, meanwhile, are on a five-game winning streak holding down their opponents to a 60.8 points per game average. – GMANews.TV

aircanda
07-28-2008, 09:53 PM
^ sir stone cold.. i read from the other baracael sub-forum in the UAAP forum that he wont be back this season already..

one more thing.. DK at Stone.. chillax lang kayo! ;D

ipagdasal na lang naten si macmac

peace bros!

stonecold316
07-29-2008, 01:26 AM
^ sir stone cold.. i read from the other baracael sub-forum in the UAAP forum that he wont be back this season already..

one more thing.. DK at Stone.. chillax lang kayo! ;D

ipagdasal na lang naten si macmac

peace bros!

Yan rin sabi sakin ni coach glenn. Anyway, relax naman ako eh. ewan ko lang kay sir.
;D ;D ;D

Kahit tiga FEU si Mac, isa ako sa mga UAAP fans na naghahangad na sana eh gumaling na siya kagad. I don't know him personally pero para sakin mukha naman siya mabait at malinis maglaro sa court that's why nung narinig ko balita na binaril raw siya, na shock ako.

The_Big_Cat
07-29-2008, 08:36 AM
^I think FEU is physical enough to match Ateneo's big men. Mas athletic pa nga ang big men ng FEU.

Glenn Capacio's system is well suited against Norman Black's.
FEU by 5.

stonecold316
07-29-2008, 01:22 PM
^I think FEU is physical enough to match Ateneo's big men. Mas athletic pa nga ang big men ng FEU.

FEU by 5.

I agree, kaya ng FEU ang Ateneo. Pag di nag click ang outside shooting ng Ateneo yari na sila. Malakas din big men ng Tamaraws eh.

eightyfiver
07-29-2008, 01:39 PM
It will be FEU by 12 or more. They have the advantage in intensity.

stonecold316
07-30-2008, 08:16 PM
It will be FEU by 12 or more. They have the advantage in intensity.

That remains to be seen. Pero sana nga FEU manalo.

Semenelin
07-31-2008, 04:56 PM
para sa gusto makakita ng live coverage -> http://www.bask3tball.com/live-update/UAAP71-FEU-vs-ADMU-Rd1.2.html

tigerman
07-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Wow a very inspired Tamaraws just snapped the Eagles' 5-game winning streak.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

The_Big_Cat
07-31-2008, 06:10 PM

FEU by 5.

FEU won by 6. *72-66.
I just misssed it by a point.

Great win by the Tamaraws!
I heard that this might be the last game for Robert Kave.

nicksy
07-31-2008, 06:18 PM
I heard it too, well goodbye sir Robert Kave, thank you for being part of this collegiate season, unfortunately this has to end this way, continue to play basketball in your home country, and don't Forget the Philippines (besides the incident).

Animo San Beda.

eightyfiver
07-31-2008, 08:18 PM
As expected, ADMU failed to match the intensity of FEU especialy down the stretch. Their flops backfired and the refs didn't buy it while Al-Husseini's luck ran out when it counts the most. What a clutch shot by Aldrech Ramos from a very difficult angle. This kid's game has improved tremendously. Likewise, Barroca never seems to tire out. Too many heroes actually. Still a so-so game for Cawaling.

Congrats Tams!

The_Big_Cat
07-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Question:

Baracael is gone for the season and with the reported impending departure of Robert Kave, will FEU elevate two players from their reserve/Team B to complete the 16-man roster? ???

Dark Knight
07-31-2008, 08:49 PM
I keep hearing about this chinito guy from Pampanga who stands 6'6". Hope they elevate him to Team B and reinstate Sonny Abaring.

Use Tanuan to the hilt. Magaling ang batang ito eh.

A-boy97
07-31-2008, 08:55 PM
Not sure but I don't think you can elevate anyone from team B while the season is on going. Thus, FEU will have to contend with a 14-man line-up.

Congrats to the win, you guys really played and cheered hard!

Sad news to Kave following the Baracael incident. Good luck!

Dark Knight
07-31-2008, 09:01 PM
Im really surprised and proud of the tams as they accomplished what the others failed (except UST as of this post). In fact, i really think we will lose with the way Ateneo is playing. All im counting for is the Law Of Average that will come Ateneo's way after winning 5 straight games.

And it did.

But the Tams win is not without a consequence. Kave, a future superstar of FEU is rumored to be returning to Papua New Guinea because of the Baracael incident.

Now, if Kave leave, how can the Tams sustain their winning run especially coming in the crucial 2nd round. I feel we did great in the 1st round only to slowly fade in the 2nd.

pablohoney
07-31-2008, 11:46 PM
Question:

Baracael is gone for the season and with the reported impending departure of Robert Kave, will FEU elevate two players from their reserve/Team B to complete the 16-man roster? ???

Ok ang pre-game prediction mo, you just missed by a point. Ayos! :)

Though I don't think it is possible for FEU, or any team for that matter, to elevate players into their Team A,
while the season is on progress. It seems they have to contend with 15 (or 14, if Kave will indeed go back to his place of birth).

But isn't that FEU only fielded 15 players this season, and not 16?

Dark Knight
07-31-2008, 11:51 PM
Game 7 FEU vs NU

After the Tams defeated the mighty Blue Eagles, do i have to elaborate this game?

Its FEU by 12. :D

cub
08-01-2008, 12:08 AM
FEU ended the game with a 10-0 run. great game from Ramos (who drilled in 2 long jumpers) and Cervantes.

batangueño
08-01-2008, 12:50 AM
Great game, FEU. Congratulations! :)

The_Big_Cat
08-01-2008, 09:42 AM
FEU was trailing 60-66 with 2 minutes left. The Tamaraws played excellent defense and shut down Ateneo's offense. So, it was a 12-0 run to end the game with the final score of 72-66.

FEU has Ateneo's number this year. In the FIL-OIL pre-season, FEU also defeated Ateneo 61-52.

batangueño
08-01-2008, 12:21 PM
The question here now is whether or not FEU can sweep Ateneo come the second round games. After yesterday's loss, I am pretty sure that Norman Black will make the necessary adjustments in order to avert any similar situation from happening again. ;)

coreytaylor
08-01-2008, 12:35 PM
pareng dark knight, congrats! looking for another great game in the 2nd round. :)

wantok007
08-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Im really surprised and proud of the tams as they accomplished what the others failed (except UST as of this post). In fact, i really think we will lose with the way Ateneo is playing. All im counting for is the Law Of Average that will come Ateneo's way after winning 5 straight games.

And it did.

But the Tams win is not without a consequence. Kave, a future superstar of FEU is rumored to be returning to Papua New Guinea because of the Baracael incident.

Now, if Kave leave, how can the Tams sustain their winning run especially coming in the crucial 2nd round. I feel we did great in the 1st round only to slowly fade in the 2nd.

The Baracael shooting and Kave returning home hit the newspapers in Papua New Guinea last yesterday July 31. Sad news to the 6 million population of PNG and the small basketball community of about 100,000 (estimate). Everybody is hoping that Robert will change his decision and continue his studies in the Philippines. For the meantime, the Basketball Federation of PNG have immediately included his name in the PNG Under-20 Team that will compete in the FIBA Oceania Youth Tournament to be held in Guam USA in September. This will boost the chances of the PNG Junior Team.

Supporters of Kave is worried that his level of basketball might come down because of the lack of basketball facilities in Papua New Guinea and the quality of competition in the country. He can probably go back and play at the on-going season in the Filipino Basketball Association (FILBA) Inc. Kave played in this league from 2005 - 2006, played along side Filipino expatriates until he moved to FEU-FERN. FILBA is the premier basketball league in PNG.

This kid worked hard to get where he is now. From the plateau of SOGERI to FERN-FEU to MORAYTA is a big leap for him. Sogeri is situated about 18 miles away from the main city of Port Moresby. Robert used to travel down every Sunday to play in a usually hot sun open court Basketball at Capital League.

He started as a junior player of Tamaraws Basketball Club at the Capital Basketball League in the nation's capital in 2004. As a Center for the Junior team, he was allowed to play TEAM B, as an alternate during 2005 Season. The Tamaraws Team B played the grand finals when this writer got a video of Charles Parapa (now with MLQU Stallions) and Robert Kave. Sent this video to Mark Molina who advised to send the two boys instead of one. Both Parapa and Kave started with FEU, however, FEU selected Robert Kave....and the rest is history...an almost perfect fairytale story but ended on a sad note......

Dark Knight
08-01-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the info wontok. :)

Dark Knight
08-01-2008, 07:34 PM
pareng dark knight, congrats! looking for another great game in the 2nd round. :)

Thanks pareng Coreytaylor. I can feel your Ateneo itching to get back at us as soon as possible. ;)

coreytaylor
08-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks pareng Coreytaylor. I can feel your Ateneo itching to get back at us as soon as possible.* ;)

uu talagang gusto naming makabawi sa 2nd rd ahehe. ok lang talo team ko pre, 2nd favorite team ko naman feu. its bcoz jr cawaling is from our hometown Cagayan de Oro City and i am close friend of his sister here hehe.

batangueño
08-03-2008, 04:46 PM
NU def. FEU, 69-61.

Congratulations NU!

What a weekend of underdog wins! :o

cub
08-03-2008, 07:36 PM
FEU is still adjusting to the departure of Kave. im not saying that if he's there, FEU will win but Ponferrada had 15points almost all in the paint. if Kave was there, probably he can limit those inside points from Ponferrada, Asoro and Aguilar.

Dark Knight
08-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Before anything else, i just decapitated my wife's My Scene Nolee doll in disgust with FEU's loss. ;D

4 things IMO led to our defeat

1. Overconfidence - could be......after defeating highly touted Ateneo, they taught NU with 6 losses will be an easy assignment.

2. Law Of Average - 6 straight losses, NU is bound to win one. 4 straight wins, FEU is bound to lose one. Its just unfortunate that FEU is NU's last assignment.

3. Taking The Toll - the loss of Baracael and eventually, Kave is now taking its toll on the Tamaraws as Ponferada practically danced under the paint.

4. Lame Prediction - me and my big mouth cursing the Tams. I predicted an UE win against us, UE lost. I predicted an Ateneo win, Ateneo lost..............i predicted an FEU win.........we lost.

Damn.

LION
08-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Before anything else, i just decapitated my wife's My Scene Nolee doll in disgust with FEU's loss.* ;D

4 things IMO led to our defeat

1. Overconfidence - could be......after defeating highly touted Ateneo, they taught NU with 6 losses will be an easy assignment.

2. Law Of Average - 6 straight losses, NU is bound to win one. 4 straight wins, FEU is bound to lose one. Its just unfortunate that FEU is NU's last assignment.

3. Taking The Toll - the loss of Baracael and eventually, Kave is now taking its toll on the Tamaraws as Ponferada practically danced under the paint.

4. Lame Prediction - me and my big mouth cursing the Tams. I predicted an UE win against us, UE lost. I predicted an Ateneo win, Ateneo lost..............i predicted an FEU win.........we lost.

Damn.

:o :o ;D

Joescoundrel
08-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Looks like FEU will need to make major adjustments for Round 2. The loss of Mac Baracael and Robert Kave has left them two players short in the frontline. Before he went down Baracael was averaging 10.5 points and 3.5 rebounds per game. Kave was coming off the pines as a defender who averaged 2.3 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game, but saw only a little over 12 spot minutes per outing.

Their numbers are not eye-popping. Benedict Fernandez has been the leading scorer for the Tamaraws with nearly 15 points per game, their best rebounders are Aldrech Ramos and Reil Cervantes. Ramos also leads the league in blocks with over three swats per game.

Numbers do not tell the whole story with Baracael and Kave. Baracael did a superb job against reigning MVP Jervy Cruz in their Round 1 encounter, holding the usually prolific UST center to just three rebounds, apparently a career-low. Baracael can shoot from the outside, post up, drive and score in every other way. He is also a willing passer and provides a big, strong, athletic body at the 4/3. Kave at 6-foot-5 and 200 pounds is long-limbed and athletic and is an intimidating presence inside. He can also get hot from trey range.

With these two out of the picture that means more work for Cervantes, Ramos, Jun Tanuan and Paul Sanga as well as JR Cawaling. FEU has been a deep and talented team the last six or seven years. They are not only tall and skilled they also were usually two players deep at every position. Without Baracael and Kave the rotation has shortened and may have to be tweaked. How the other players adjust, how they will find a way to deliver, will be critical if the Tamaraws want to make a serious bid for the top two spots in the Final 4.

A-boy97
08-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Emotionally drained lang siguro team niyo. Sa dami ng nangyari sa feu, di riin masisisi players at coaching staff. Kudos though to the sportsmanship you guys showed. After losing to NU, it was really great seeing Sir Anton Montinola leading the applause for NU. Showed great class!

Di bale, matagal pa season, makakabawi pa feu. I'm just hoping they will still be emotionally drained by Saturday para makabawi kami! ;D After that, tambakan niyo na rest of the field! :D

Peace!

oca
08-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Emotionally drained lang siguro team niyo.* Sa dami ng nangyari sa feu, di riin masisisi players at coaching staff.* Kudos though to the sportsmanship you guys showed.* After losing to NU, it was really great seeing Sir Anton Montinola leading the applause for NU. Showed great class!

Di bale, matagal pa season, makakabawi pa feu.* I'm just hoping they will still be emotionally drained by Saturday para makabawi kami! ;D* After that, tambakan niyo na rest of the field! :D

Peace!

Nagmamagandang asal lang yan sa mga bagong salta. Konting courtesy sa mga Sy, ika nga.

Pero pag umangat na ang programa ng NU, ewan ko kung hindi mag-asal talangka si Montinola patungkol sa NU.

eightyfiver
08-04-2008, 01:11 PM
A month's rest would be enough for Baracael to get back. The caveat is the big security problem. It would be imprudent to risk a person's life just to get the championship. I think Coach Capacio still has the materials if only some of their players(read: JR Cawaling) will step up.

coreytaylor
08-04-2008, 01:51 PM
A month's rest would be enough for Baracael to get back.

diba out of the season na siya?

eightyfiver
08-04-2008, 11:18 PM
^I'm speaking in terms of physical recovery. But weighing the risks over the benefit, the FEU mgt would be better of declaring him out for the season, IMHO.

cub
08-05-2008, 11:44 PM
FEU, Harbour Centre sign deal to strengthen cage programs

MANILA, Philippines – Another collegiate varsity team will get a high-profile corporate backer after the Far Eastern University and Harbour Centre signed a memorandum of understanding that would benefit both entities’ basketball programs.

After the current college season, at least nine FEU players will get slots in the Harbour squad that is seeking a sixth straight championship in the Philippine Basketball League.

Harbour Centre, on the other hand, will help FEU in the recruitment and training of players.

“Our agreement is that we have to help each other out to keep our winning tradition going," Mikee Romero said.

“FEU is a tough team, so we hope we can help them achieve their goal this year. But I’m confident they [Tamaraws] can do it," added the Harbour Centre owner.

“This is a perfect partnership since we both have a winning tradition and our players are already ripe for the PBL. This is just the right time," FEU team manager Anton Montinola said.

FEU finished the first round of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines with a 5-2 record, tying De La Salle and falling a game behind league-leader Ateneo (6-1).

Also present during the signing of MoU were Harbour team manager Erick Arejola, coach Jorge Gallent chief operating officer Edwin Jeremillo and FEU athletic director Mark Molina.

“We only have a two-year deal but it’s renewable. We can extend it to five or six years," Arejola said. “We hope that other teams in the PBL will also help some schools."

Shopping-mall conglomerate Hans Sy recently committed to back National University in another high-profile partnership.

Among the FEU players being eyed by Gallent are Benedict Fernandez, Ricky Cawaling, John Aldrech Ramos, Reil Cervantes, Andy Mark Barroca, Paul Joseph Sanga, Jen Dieter Knuttel, Edgar Tanuan and Jonblargs Alisbo. – GMANews.TV

stonecold316
08-06-2008, 04:26 PM
MPD to probers: Keep mum on Baracael case
08/06/2008 | 08:39 AM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us MANILA, Philippines - The Manila Police District (MPD) has imposed a gag order on its investigators handling the shooting of a varsity basketball player of the Far Eastern University in Manila last July 24.

Radio dzBB reported Wednesday that MPD head Chief Superintendent Roberto Rosales said this will prevent investigators from accidentally publicizing important leads in the shooting of Marnel "Mac" Baracael.

Rosales said that the only time the MPD will make public announcements on the case will be when it arrests the suspects in the shooting incident.

Baracael, a star power forward of the FEU varsity basketball team, was shot July 24 near the FEU campus along Morayta Street, near a Philtrust Bank branch.

Police earlier said they are not discounting the possibility that Baracael was shot in connection with alleged game-fixing incident. Baracael had since denied involvement in such activities. - GMANews.TV

Dark Knight
08-07-2008, 01:41 PM
Game 8

FEU vs Ateneo

Maybe this time, ill be correct in my prediction. Ateneo will win. Not with our performance against the league doormat NU, i dont think we will have a chance this time against the Blue Eagles.

No more emotional game for Baracael. No more Kve. No more hope.

Parang naka tsamba lang kami nung Round 1. ;D

stonecold316
08-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Home > Sports > Top Stories MPD releases sketch of alleged lookout in Baracael shooting
08/08/2008 | 12:52 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us MANILA, Philippines - The Manila Police District (MPD) on Friday released the cartographic sketch of the alleged lookout in the shooting of Far Eastern University (FEU) varsity basketball player Marnel "Mac" Baracael in Manila last July 24.

MPD Homicide Section chief Dominador Arevalo said the sketch was based on the one of the witness' description of the suspect. He noted that the lookout was described as man aged between 38 to 40 years old, fair complexioned, and stands 5'2" to 5'3" tall.

Arevalo further said the witness noticed the suspect loitering around the FEU front gate in Morayta corner R. Papa St. in Sta. Cruz, Manila from July 22 to 24.

He also said that the witness overheard the suspect saying, "Maraming mabubulabog dito, sir (Many will be alarmed here sir)".

Arevalo added that the lookout was seen in the close circuit television two hours before Baracael was shot. "The witness positively identified the man in the CCTV as the same man he saw in front of FEU gate," he said. - GMANews.TV

coreytaylor
08-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Great game FEU! Payback game for us! ;D

The_Big_Cat
08-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Ang kulang na lang sa FEU is a post-up or back-to-the-basket big man.

FEU keeps settling for those perimeter jumpers. In close games like this, it would be nice to have a low-post player in the painted area.

coreytaylor
08-09-2008, 08:46 PM
^^ plus paul sanga's offense was no longer existent in the 2nd half.

Dark Knight
08-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Great game FEU! Payback game for us!* ;D

Great game, win or lose, its the school we choose. ;D

Dark Knight
08-09-2008, 09:55 PM
Ateneo avenge their loss to FEU

This is already given but what i didnt expect is FEU's 22 to 9 run at the end that threatened the Blue Eagles. FEU reduced Ateneo's big lead to a 1 possession ball game but this time, Ateneo did not crack under pressure.

Great game by :angas" Salamat and Tiu. Buenafe had a hard time, but for FEU, the loss of Baracael and Kave is too much to bear now.

BigBlue
08-09-2008, 09:57 PM
DK, what was that thing that the Tam did as they came in, the one when they ran oncourt and had a rose each, plus the band was playing "happy birthday". sino may birthday?

Dark Knight
08-09-2008, 10:08 PM
That i didnt know. What i do know is that 1 Ateneo fan threw a bottle of mineral water at the referees at the end of the game.

Dark Knight
08-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Game 9 FEU vs ADU

We had a hard time during our last meeting (our first in fact) against the Falcons, thanks to Knuttel. ;D

I cant predict this one, Adamson is on a slump right now but so is FEU. The question is, can we lost thrice in a row? I dont think so. If we barely made it during our first encounter, this time im confident that we will win handily. Control Galinato and were oaky.

But of course, its just me. :D

BigBlue
08-09-2008, 11:01 PM
thanks for the answer DK. with regard to an Ateneo fan throwing a mineral bottle at the ref... i admit, it did cross my mind, but no, it wasnt me. ;D

great game you guys played today. how the heck did you convince Jervy Cruz to transfer to Morayta? buti kasya yung uniform ni Cervantes sa kanya. kidding aside, Cervantes played like a man among boys today.

Dark Knight
08-10-2008, 09:24 AM
DK, what was that thing that the Tam did as they came in, the one when they ran oncourt and had a rose each, plus the band was playing "happy birthday". sino may birthday?

I ask my colleague about it and he said that a certain mam ruth from the admin is celebrating her birthday.

Funny, the game looked like a fiesta. There are "musikos", roses galore and lots of "luto". ;D

bluewing
08-10-2008, 11:06 AM
That i didnt know. What i do know is that 1 Ateneo fan threw a bottle of mineral water at the referees at the end of the game.

tama lang sa kanila yon. buti nga hindi pa sila binabaril eh.

glock23
08-10-2008, 10:23 PM

Naku, baka may magalit sayo nyan! correcting a wrong with another wrong! ;D

bluewing
08-10-2008, 11:32 PM

Naku, baka may magalit sayo nyan! correcting a wrong with another wrong!* ;D

hehe. ayos lang. you see, unlike most of my peers, i have a rep for being "pilyo." and quite unapologetic about it. ;D

glock23
08-11-2008, 10:29 AM

Naku, baka may magalit sayo nyan! correcting a wrong with another wrong! ;D

hehe. ayos lang. you see, unlike most of my peers, i have a rep for being "pilyo." and quite unapologetic about it. ;D

Same here bro! This season is turning into a circus and and my frustration is showing in my posts too! :D

bluewing
08-11-2008, 07:01 PM
^
pa-circus nang pa-circus taun-taon. next year baka may elepanteng nagbibisikleta na sa tightrope.

Dark Knight
08-11-2008, 07:27 PM
^
pa-circus nang pa-circus taun-taon. next year baka may elepanteng nagbibisikleta na sa tightrope.

That would be the halftime performance of Ateneo next year. Cant wait........... ;D

bluewing
08-11-2008, 07:35 PM
^

That would be the halftime performance of Ateneo next year. Cant wait........... ;D

haha. why not? at the rate the league is going, i wouldn't be surprised if the BBB does something like this just to send a message. ;D

gfy
08-12-2008, 09:58 PM
Just heard Kave might be back in 2 weeks.

glock23
08-13-2008, 12:55 PM

If thats the case then FEU will be a serious threat for the championship! by that time baracael will be "ready" and will be sitting on the bench to inspire the tams. Maybe mac could even be fielded in just to pump up the team....scary thought! :)

wantok007
08-14-2008, 09:59 AM

If thats the case then FEU will be a serious threat for the championship! by that time baracael will be "ready" and will be sitting on the bench to inspire the tams. Maybe mac could even be fielded in just to pump up the team....scary thought! :)

There are 6.2M PNGeans who wanted Robert to go back. at this stage, we are hoping he would. we had a good chat last sunday during his visit to FILBA games and when friends pressed questions for his return, he either reply with a "smile" or "i dont know". he is obviously missing his team mates, friends, classmates, FEU, UAAP etc...

Joescoundrel
08-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Far Eastern leaned on veteran guards Marlon Adolfo and Season 71 MVP dark horse Benedict Fernandez to roll over the fast-sinking Adamson Falcons 70-62. The duo outscored the entire Adamson side in a pivotal third period run that gave the Tamaraws a 69-54 cushion. Adamson hung in tough at 30-32 at the lemontime break.

Adolfo finished with a game-high 18 points while Fernandez, FEU's best scorer this season, added 14.

Dark Knight
08-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Now that we handily disposed of the Falcons, lets move on to Game 10.

FEU vs UST

Honestly, cant pick who will win. A Tamaraws win will definitely bolster their Final 4 appearance since 2005. While a UST win will give the Tigers a trigger of hope for the semis.

I dunno about you guys but it seems UST is struggling this season. Not even the return of Cuan could turn around UST's perormance against Ateneo. But a 4 game losing streak is bound to end and this is what im afraid of. They might win at the expense of the Tams.

Well thers only 1 guy IMO to control in the UST line up, and thats Jervy Cruz.

Goodluck to both teams.

batangueño
08-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Game 2: FEU defeats UST in overtime, 74-69.

Dark Knight
08-17-2008, 09:56 PM
FEU def. UST

Okay, so we failed to limit Jervy. But who can? Right now, im just sooooo relieved that we pulled this one. We played excellent in the 1st quarter, and so did UST. We played below par in the 2nd and 3rd quarter with UST leading by as much as 16 points. I said to myself, the Tams are like amateurs. Jervy is scoring at will.

Then came the 4th quarter. I dont know how many angels dawned upon us to start a 8 to nothing blast and went on to eat UST's lead little by little. We could've won it in regulation but Cawalings ill advised trifecta instead of a high percentage shot paved the way for an extension.

Allera fouled out. Barroca fouled out. Fernandez suffered cramps (good thing its not a major injury). Cervantes went berserk. Cawaling hit timely shots. Jervy went cold. Bautista made two three point errors. Good game by the Tams who is now 2 games ahead of UE and a chance for that 2nd spot and a twice to beat advantage.............that is if we can beat La Salle.

This is the most exciting game i have witnessed so far after the 1st roundADMU vs FEU game.

Nice game Tigers.

Dark Knight
08-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Game 11 FEU vs DLSU

The irst encounter is very close in the first three quarters until Barua suddenly had a birthday, hitting all threes that you can imagine and at every possible angle.

I dont think so this time. Not after the morale boosting win against a tough UST team, i think we have what it takes to avenge our first loss against the Archers. Just control casio. Easier said than done but thats what happened in round 1. Casio is a man possessed.

No Baracael but still weare winning. This is our real test in the 2nd round. We beat la salle then we can have that twice to beat advantage. Even a Finals slot.

Just Casio and no rainbow shots from barua please.

blueatheart
08-17-2008, 11:49 PM
Welcome back Robert Kave! :)

Sam Miguel
08-17-2008, 11:52 PM
FEU summoned the winner within to pull out a 74-69 victory over the stunned and fast sinking UST. Just when the Tigers looked ready to get back in the thick of a Final 4 hunt, the Tamaraws opened the fourth period with a six-point blitz that halved a lead that was once at 16. Benedict Fernandez found his rhythm from long range and JR Cawaling joined the blitz as the Tamaraws forced an overtime and then settled down to play the tightly controlled FEU basketball of seasons past. All of a sudden the Tamaraws were patient on execution, looked for the extra pass, set good solid screens, moved well without the ball, and most of all, played outstanding defense in the passing lanes. by the time it was finally over UST couldn't believe they were on the wrong side of the score board.

gfy
08-18-2008, 07:04 AM
The game this Saturday vs. DLSU is important for FEU to gain a twice-to-beat advantage. Most likely Kave will play. If FEU wins, it will only have UE while DLSU will still have ADMU and UST.

Sam Miguel
08-18-2008, 10:26 AM
FEU needs to prepare like the dickens for Lasalle and UE. Lasalle will be hellbent on keeping at least the number 2 spot in the standings to have a twice-to-beat going into the Final 4. Thanks to FEU's win over UST Ateneo now has a sure Final 4 berth with nine wins. Technically Ateneo can lose all of its remaining games and still be in the Final 4. Not that such a thing will happen of course given the way the Blue Eagles have been playing. For FEU they will now have to figure out which team they'd rather face if and when they make the Final 4.

First things first though: they need to get through UE and Lasalle, two teams that beat them in the first round. Robert Kave coming back gives FEU frontline depth but not much else in terms of actual production. That means the likes of Reil Cervantes, Paul Sanga, Aldrech Ramos and Jun Tanuan have to step up some more. Cervantes has been the best frontline player of the Tamaraws providing strong inside scoring and rebounding aside from post defense. He needs to show he can get it done against the likes of Elmer Espiritu, Pari Llagas, Hans Thiele and Rico Maeirhofer.

Key here will be guard play: If Benedict Fernandez and Mark Barroca can keep up or even elevate their play for the Tamaraws they should be able to neutralize the UE and Lasalle guards, or at least make them work harder than usual. JR Cawaling remains the X Factor. No one can really match up against his multiple skills, height, length and athletic abilities. Unfortunately he has not been putting up the consistently good numbers that say James Mangahas has. Cawaling's numbers should start reflecting his potential if FEU is to have a serious crack at the Finals.

Sam Miguel
08-18-2008, 10:33 AM
Cawaling's numbers thus far: 7.4 points 2.5 rebounds 1.3 assists, half a steal, barely a block per game in almost 19 minutes per game. Offensively he has scored no better than 12 points in any game thus far in the season; he had 12 against UST. He needs to step it up from that 3/2 position or once again James Mangahas and PJ Barua will make FEU pay dearly. Against UE Paul Lee might get going. I say he needs to get at least 15 good points in each game for the Tams to win. Benedict Fernandez and Reil Cervantes need help, especially with Mac Baracael unable to play.

Dark Knight
08-18-2008, 12:25 PM
First things first though: they need to get through UE and Lasalle, two teams that beat them in the first round.

Actually, FEU won over UE in the first round which was contested by UE.

Joescoundrel
08-18-2008, 02:44 PM
^ Dark, baka nagugulo si Boss Sam kasi magkapitbahay sa Sampaloc ang UE at NU. ;D

The_Big_Cat
08-23-2008, 06:18 PM
FEU drubs DLSU 83-75.
Baroca had a career game of 26 points for FEU.

Great win for the Tamaraws!

arjay_g
08-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Congrats to your Tamaraws on their win against DLSU. that was some game by Barocca. 26 pts, 7 rebs 2 stls. mala-batya yung ring sa kanya kanina. kahit anong ipukol, pasok. :)

A-boy97
08-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Maging cinderella finish din kaya ang FEU?* Grabe, sobrang uso lagi ganito sa uaap kaya ang benta benta sa tao.

Congrats tams on a great win against arguably the best second round team in the uaap!* Mukhang nangangamoy twice-to-beat na kayo!* Mas mahirap remaining sched ng dlsu kumapara sa inyo e!* Good luck!

Dark Knight
08-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Feu def. Dlsu

Hmmmmmm......my team keeps on surprising me. Undermanned and all and yet, making a run in the second half. Here are the factors, IMO that made the win possible.

1. The Baracael Effect - or is it still in effect? The first two games right after Mac was shot was the real emotional games for them. The driving force behind those wins against powerhouses Ateneo and UE. But right now, i think their motivation now is their desire to win it all, Baracael shot or not. They want their 20th championship.

2. Barroca Went Berserk - i didnt know Barocca was capable of playing a Casio type ballgame. Season high 26 points? Not bad for a sophomore. Is it his birthday? ;D The big question is, can he repeat it again?

3. Peaking At The Right Time - i just hope they are, up into the Finals. But its too much to ask for.

Dark Knight
08-23-2008, 10:42 PM
game 12

FEU vs NU

ITS PAYBACK TIME!!!!!!!!!

Our first round loss against the Bulldogs was baloney. ;D

rowdy
08-24-2008, 08:32 AM
at the start of Barroca's 4th Q explosion, Boom Gonzales described Barroca's drive as "doing a JV Casio" ... ngayon siguro alam na niya sabihin pangalan ni Barroca ... for those who watched on tv, didn't you notice Boom's infatuation with dlsu and sometimes refer to feu as "the other team" ?

Joescoundrel
08-24-2008, 11:35 AM
^ OT, sorry Dark, but Boom Gonzales is hardly the paradigm of professional sports coverage, just another talking head who got lucky.

As for the FEU victory over the defending champions, it was Mark Barroca's day all the way. Those were the types of plays that simply cannot be defended. I expect Barroca will not be able to so that every game, but if he does it at least during the big games then FEU will truly muck up the Final 4 standings.

By the way, now that FEU and Lasalle are both at 8-3 what are the Final 4 scenarios and bookie picks looking like?

Dark Knight
08-24-2008, 09:03 PM
No prob sir Joe.

Here's what i feel.

No. 1 ADMU vs No. 4 UE

No. 2 FEU vs No. 3 DLSU

DLSU will lose again against Ateneo but FEU will win all of their remaining games including UE. With the way FEU is playing inspired basketball, its tough to defeat them. (Here i go again cursing the Tams ;D)

One thing going against La Salle is the absence of Franz.

Looks like the people behind Mac Baracael shooting failed to stop the Tamaraws from reaching the F4.

tsikamajigs
08-25-2008, 11:22 AM
No prob sir Joe.

Here's what i feel.

No. 1 ADMU vs No. 4 UE

No. 2 FEU vs No. 3 DLSU

DLSU will lose again against Ateneo but FEU will win all of their remaining games including UE. With the way FEU is playing inspired basketball, its tough to defeat them. (Here i go again cursing the Tams ;D)

One thing going against La Salle is the absence of Franz.

Looks like the people behind Mac Baracael shooting failed to stop the Tamaraws from reaching the F4.

BUT IF UST wins all its remaining games, and as you said, FEU wins over UE, it will look like this.

No. 1 Ateneo vs No. 4 UST

No. 2 FEU vs No. 3 DLSU

UST has Lasalle, UE and UP to for its remaining opponents. So a sweep of the final 3 games will pull down the Pumarens in the league.

Dark Knight
08-28-2008, 11:13 PM
FEU def. NU 64 - 60

One thing thats bugging me is that hirap ang FEU against NU. We lost against them in the first round and in this game, although we won, base on the score, parang lumusot muna ang Tams sa butas ng karayom before winning. I did not witness the game but its good to know Mac Baracael is back. Scored only two points and grabbed some rebounds, not bad for someone who's been shot twice in the chest.

Will the return of Baracael fuel even more the Tams resurgence or it will have a negative impact on the team? FEU has been playing well without him. Whatever happens, a Baracael on the line up is better. Hopefully, after two games or so, he'll be back in his old form.

Dark Knight
08-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Game 13

FEU vs UP

Im confident we can pull this one just as we did in the first round. We should win our last two games* in order to keep pressure to La Salle and hope that La Salle will lose one of its remaining games to solidify our no. 2 spot and a twice to beat advantage come Final 4.

Baracael should at least score 10 points in this game.

tsikamajigs
08-29-2008, 01:32 PM
wasn't able to watch the game, but do the Tams still carry the #12 patch?

coreytaylor
08-29-2008, 01:35 PM
hhmmm ang ganda siguro kung magchachampion feu this season noh (and yes, its very possible)? come to think of it, mac got shot and everybody thinks his done for the season, kave went back to his homeland, feu's line-up became smaller (who, almost everyone think became more of a disadvantage), tapos.. mac's back! tapos sa finals, feu is down with 1pt with just 2sec to go, then mac gets the ball, shoots, and wins the game! FEU WINS! char! what a fairytale ending. ;D

The_Big_Cat
08-29-2008, 01:52 PM
I have seen this group some two years ago. I knew then these guys are gonna be something special. And so far they haven't disappointed me.

As for the UP game. Stay focus, control the boards, put the clamps on UP's outside shooting and fastbreak points are the keys for the win.

vannnesssa
08-30-2008, 12:06 AM
wasn't able to watch the game, but do the Tams still carry the #12 patch?

nope... it was removed from their jerseys na and so are the #12 tapes on their shoes ;)

King_stag
08-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Feu has Versatile players, most of them can play multiple positions. Coach Glen has the luxury of having a deep bench, this way he can preserve his Key guys for the final push.

vincent_06
08-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Congrats to FEU for the W today. Get that twice to beat!

Dark Knight
08-30-2008, 05:23 PM
FEU def. UP 71-70

What is it with FEU and lower seeded teams? It seems they are more comfortable playing the higher seeded teams than those in the lower bracket.

We started out flat. UP kept the game close. Good thing weare a 4th quarter team, leading by as much as 9 with less than 3minutes remaining but still, we failed to protect our lead.

Aaahhhh, what the heck, we won so thats it.

Dark Knight
08-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Game 14

FEU vs UE

Our last game of the eliminations.

This game is very important to both teams. UE needed it to enter the Final 4. FEU needed it for the twice to beat advantage. So, it will be a slugfest. Both teams will bring their armories for this one. Ill give FEU the slight advantage. Baracael returning and improving. Espiritu is having a monster ballgame. Barocca is averaging 30 points in the last 3 games.

If FEU loses, lets hope La salle will also lose. If we win, lets stioll hope that La salle will lose. Its as simple as that. ;D

batangueño
08-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Although they lost by a mere point against the Tamaraws, overall, I must say that the Second Round UP-FEU game was one of the BEST games that the Maroons played this season. I loved the way UP executed things today and how they kept the game close and somewhat gave the Tamaraws a scare. Martin Reyes was definitely the standout Maroon for today but kudos too to Woody Co and Mark Lopez. :)

However, two things that killed UP today: ERRORS (especially those committed during the earlier part of the Fourth Quarter and those failed under-the-basket stabs by Jay Agbayani, who seemed to be off today) and MISSED FREE THROWS (too many of them actually).

As for the Tamaraws, congratulations! Mac Baracael was definitely back, Andi Barroca was Mr. Reliable and Aldreich Ramos imposes his size on his opponents. A win is a win so congratulations to FEU! :)

Dark Knight
08-31-2008, 08:39 PM
With UE completing the Final 4 cast, the pressure shifted from UE/UST to FEU and La Salle. UE is secured at no. 4 no matter what happens. UST is eliminated. The only thing that matters is the 2nd spot. UE's match against FEU has no bearing to them but FEU must win to secure a twice to beat advantage. same goes for La Salle. Ateneo, win or lose is no. 1.

The worst case scenario is FEU losing and La Salle winning. The best case scenario is FEU winning and La Salle losing. If both teams lose or win, then its a virtual best of three.

And the unpopular rivalry continues. Probably the real championship.* ;D

tamarawz_14
09-01-2008, 09:06 AM
off topic: Ryan Garcia PG (6-0) and Ian Sangalang C-F (6-6) are doing well in fiba juniors especialy garcia it seems maganda future ng tams natin...... buti na lang nka-lock na sila sa atin galing talaga ni montinola..hahahahaha.. we all know what happen sa Fern boys natin kaya ni-lock nya na uns 2...hahaha

Next year
Nounduo 6-6, Paguia?? 6-5, Mangahas 6-3 (younger brother of RB), Garcia 6-0.

2010: Lubao kids: Sangalang and maiquez both are 6-6 and 16 yr olds (mga bata pa)

i hope mag-stay rin ung current Fern Boys natin Escoto 6-5 and tolomia both are doing good sa Jrs. division..

Joescoundrel
09-01-2008, 02:11 PM
If FEU can hold on to the Number 2 spot Lasalle will find itself in quite a pickle: for the first time in maybe the last 10 seasons Lasalle will be the one needing two wins in the Final 4. As good as Lasalle is especially in the Final 4 phase the Tamaraws have the depth and the talent to oust the defending champions.

Key for FEU will be how much the frontline can contribute, i.e. can Riel Cervantes, Aldrech Ramos, Paul Sanga, Jun Tanuan and Mac Baracael provide consistency and poise against a veteran Lasalle frontline? FEU's backcourt is no longer in doubt with Benedict Fernandez and Mark "Babyface" Barroca, plus able support from Jenz Knuttel and Marlon Adolfo. All the frontline has to do is pound both boards and defend the lane to keep opponents honest and not swarm the Tamaraw guards.

A probable X Factor would be JR Cawaling, the long, tall and athletic swingman who has not had enough great games this season. Arguably the emergence of both Fernandez and Barroca have not made it necessary for Cawaling to assert himself, but in the Final 4 FEU needs every weapon in its arsenal cocked, locked, loaded and ready to rock. Cawaling is a nightmare of a match-up at 6'4" and with long limbs and the springs of a pogo stick. If he can get going especially on the dribble-drive as a real finisher he will be FEU's ticket back to the UAAP Finals.

BigBlue
09-01-2008, 02:25 PM
If FEU can hold on to the Number 2 spot Lasalle will find itself in quite a pickle: for the first time in maybe the last 10 seasons Lasalle will be the one needing two wins in the Final 4. As good as Lasalle is especially in the Final 4 phase the Tamaraws have the depth and the talent to oust the defending champions.

Joe, I think the last time this happened was in in 2003. It was Ateneo vs FEU in the finals.

My_Friend
09-01-2008, 05:03 PM
off topic: Ryan Garcia PG (6-0) and Ian Sangalang C-F (6-6) are doing well in fiba juniors especialy garcia it seems maganda future ng tams natin...... buti na lang nka-lock na sila sa atin galing talaga ni montinola..hahahahaha.. we all know what happen sa Fern boys natin kaya ni-lock nya na uns 2...hahaha

Next year
Nounduo 6-6, Paguia?? 6-5, Mangahas 6-3 (younger brother of RB), Garcia 6-0.

2010: Lubao kids: Sangalang and maiquez both are 6-6 and 16 yr olds (mga bata pa)

i hope mag-stay rin ung current Fern Boys natin Escoto 6-5 and tolomia both are doing good sa Jrs. division..

Malakas tayo this season at siguradong lalakas pa tayo nxt season!!! GO TAMARAWS! TALUNIN NATIN KUNG SINO MAKAKALABAN NATIN SA FINAL FOUR! DLSU & ADMU = WALA SA ATIN YAN TOL!!

Dark Knight
09-01-2008, 07:41 PM

Joe, I think the last time this happened was in in 2003. It was Ateneo vs FEU in the finals.

And i feel Ateneo is very eager to avenge their loss to FEU that year. ;D

BigBlue
09-01-2008, 10:06 PM

And i feel Ateneo is very eager to avenge their loss to FEU that year.* ;D

nadale mo! ;)

gfy
09-02-2008, 07:17 AM
Don't forget Fil-am Anthony Gavieres 6'4" wingman now playing in FMC (currently injured).

Rektikano
09-02-2008, 12:13 PM
La Salle really has its work cut out for us to beat FEU, more so if the Tams are twice to beat. At the start of the season, some basketball pundits said that FEU isn't ripe yet to handle end game pressure for them to advance to the championship round. But I guess, the Tams have proven everyone wrong. Andy Barrocca and Benedict Fernandez are in the zone the last few games and your two bigs Reil Cervantes and Aldrech Ramos are two of the best 4/5s in the whole UAAP. Kulang na lang maging consistent yung outside snipings nila Cawaling and Sanga and ayos na. If Mac Baracael can give quality minutes, the Tams will be hard to beat.

My prediction--mag be-best of 3 tayo..haha.. ;) may the best team win..

Hooplover
09-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Don't forget Fil-am Anthony Gavieres 6'4" wingman now playing in FMC (currently injured).
* Is he related to former coach Danny Gavieres?

gfy
09-03-2008, 04:03 PM
^ Pamangkin

Hooplover
09-03-2008, 08:22 PM
^ Pamangkin
i see.Thanks!

Dark Knight
09-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Game 14 FEU vs UE

A must win game for the Tams on their ;ast assignment. No pressure whatsoever on UE. We win, we keep pressure on la salle. But UE wont take this game lightly. They want to test the Tamaraws because who knows? They might face each other again.

Tough match or high leaping Espiritu, the 3point artist Zamar and the rejuvenated Arellano, plus the evr dependable Llagas and Thiele.

Barocca, Cervantes and co. should work overtime. Cawaling, please assert yourself. Baracael should be 80 to 90 % back to his old form. Aldrech will be there to block Espiritu and the intensity of Knuttel should fire up the Tams.

Hoping or a FEU win and a twice to beat advantage.

coreytaylor
09-04-2008, 12:11 PM
pareng dark knight, magchecheer ako mamaya para sa feu! sana manalo kayo! wohoo! kunin nyo na twice-to-beat advantage! ahehe ;D

Dark Knight
09-04-2008, 07:14 PM
pareng dark knight, magchecheer ako mamaya para sa feu! sana manalo kayo! wohoo! kunin nyo na twice-to-beat advantage! ahehe* ;D

Sadly we lost. With UE's win a while ago, theres only two words...............

GO ATENEO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

...............for now.

The_Big_Cat
09-04-2008, 08:18 PM
FEU will be needing help from Ateneo to force a playoff with La Salle.

Dark Knight
09-04-2008, 09:56 PM
If FEU fails to enter the championship, there are 2 games in this season that they can look up to and give them nightmares.

1. First round loss to La Salle. Where the refs made a miracle and FEU didnt protest. (like the commish will reverse the outcome)

2. Their first round defeat to NU.*

coreytaylor
09-05-2008, 10:35 AM
i was soo disappointed with the feu loss. >:(

hope ateneo can provide feu an assist this coming saturday. :)

glock23
09-05-2008, 07:12 PM
i was soo disappointed with the feu loss.* >:(

hope ateneo can provide feu an assist this coming saturday.* :)

it happened cos you wished something bad to happen to the other team....karma tawag dyan! ;)

-insane-
09-06-2008, 09:02 AM
ok lng yan may pagasa pa naman diba para makuha yung twice to beat pero kung matatalo DLSU sigurado pareho sila twice to beat

coreytaylor
09-06-2008, 12:32 PM

it happened cos you wished something bad to happen to the other team....karma tawag dyan!* ;)

something bad? ah ok.* ::)

i wished feu to win and not to loss. but did i say anything bad bout la salle? tsk tsk

canmaker
09-06-2008, 06:50 PM
bay,

baile na dayon --- to the tune of "karma karma karma chameleon" ...

===

it happened cos you wished something bad to happen to the other team....karma tawag dyan!* ;)

i wished feu to win and not to loss. but did i say anything bad bout la salle? tsk tsk

Dark Knight
09-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Salamat Ateneo.

Dark Knight
09-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Playoff for twice to beat

FEU vs DLSU

One thing, its very, very hard to defeat DLSU twice in a row. FEU might steal Game 1 but will lose games 2 and 3. But FEU can match well with DLSU this year. Just control Casio from orchestrating their offense and the Tams has a big chance.

FEU blew their chances and its up to them to show their heart on this one. It will be very hard but it will be worth fighting for.

glock23
09-08-2008, 01:29 PM
bay,

baile na dayon --- to the tune of "karma karma karma chameleon" ...

===

Bai,

Sige na! sayaw ug kanta warag si Boy george. ;D

The_Big_Cat
09-08-2008, 04:58 PM
Playoff for twice to beat

FEU vs DLSU

One thing, its very, very hard to defeat DLSU twice in a row.* FEU might steal Game 1 but will lose games 2 and 3. But FEU can match well with DLSU this year. Just control Casio from orchestrating their offense and the Tams has a big chance.

FEU blew their chances and its up to them to show their heart on this one. It will be very hard but it will be worth fighting for.

Both FEU and DLSU came out flat in their last game. Expect a strong start from both squads.

FEU needs to shoot well from the perimeter to offset DLSU perimeter game. FEU's advantage would have to be in the middle. Cervantes has to establish his inside game to complement the perimeter games of Fernandez and Cawaling.

My x-factor for this game has to be Mac Baracael.

Apocrypha
09-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Can Barroca/Knuttel/Alisbo stay with Casio on defense for the entire game? A good offensive game by JV will be bad news for the tams. It will get even tougher if Atkins or Revilla can complement JV's game. On the other hand, can any of DLSU's guards shackle Barroca once he decides to eat up his defender? The team that can limit the scoring of their opponent's guards will most likely come out on top in this series. Also, the team that wins the playoff game will most likely go on to the finals.

The_Big_Cat
09-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Kung matapat si Casio kay Barroca sa depensa, expect Barroca to post Casio to fish for some fouls.
So far Barroca is the best post-up guard that I have seen this season in the UAAP.

glock23
09-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Kung matapat si Casio kay Barroca sa depensa, expect Barroca to post Casio to fish for some fouls.
So far Barroca is the best post-up guard that I have seen this season in the UAAP.

Correction, "the face" IS the best point guard this season!

Get_Blazed
09-10-2008, 08:19 PM

Waa! Inagawan nyo title ang aming si Kojack Melegrito of Letran!

glock23
09-10-2008, 11:15 PM

Waa! Inagawan nyo title ang aming si Kojack Melegrito of Letran!

Partner, UAAP an pinaguusapan natin dito :D

Dark Knight
09-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Congrats to the Baby Tams or defeating the DLSZ in the Juniors F4. ;)

Joescoundrel
09-13-2008, 11:22 PM
FEU FERN lived to fight another day in the UAAP Season 71 Juniors Final 4 as they edged Lasalle Zobel in double overtime 72-70.

Lasalle looked ready to wrap up the game in regulation behind the steady play of power forward Gwayne Capacio, swingman Ridge Santos and pointguard Nico Elorde. But forward Arwin Albano and forward-center Chino Almario conspired with guard Chris Tolomia to force the overtime. With Lasalle up by two Tolomia passed off to Albano who drove the baseline and knotted the count in regulation time down to 3.1 seconds. Elorde was unable to find an open man as time expired.

In the first extension Albano came close to once again playing the hero as he stepped up to the freethrow line for three charity shots off a Lasalle foul at the three-point line. Albano sank his first two freethrows but the third one rimmed out with the count tied anew at 63-all.

FEU came alive in the second extension as Albano, Tolomia and pointguard Lou Bautista settled down and executed on the high-low plays and found some easy baskets for 72-67 lead time down to under a minute. Lasalle scored on a trey, even as FEU muffed the ensuing play. In the final play center Russel Escoto grabbed the rebound off a Capacio miss as time expired.

Albano had 20 points for the Baby Tamaraws while Mon Santiago added 15. Escoto had 12 points, 15 boards and five blocks.

Capacio had 22 points to lead all scorers while Santos added 16.

bchoter
09-14-2008, 12:03 AM
And daming familiar surnames ah. Sorry if this has been discussed in the past.. is Chino related to the late Alfie Almario? Is Chris Tolomia related to Chester? Is Arwin related to coach Larry Albano?

cub
09-16-2008, 12:41 AM
i just noticed, since the FEU Tamaraws changed their jerseys, they never won a game.

Joescoundrel
09-17-2008, 10:39 PM
For Far Eastern University the women and children exacted some payback for the men: FEU-FERN upset defending champion Lasalle Zobel 58-56 while the Lady Tamaraws turned back the Adamson Lady Falcons 74-63, as they made the high school and women's division finals of the UAAP basketball tournament.

The Baby Tamaraws looked headed for the exit as the Junior Archers went up by as much as nine points 34-25 late in the second period. But the boys from Fairview clamped down hard on defense in the second half and then turned to power forward Chino Almario and guards Mon Santiago and Chris Tolomia to turn the tables on Zobel. As Almario went to work from the baseline, Santiago and Tolomio found their range from the perimeter.

Zobel found itself frustrated by the tightened FEU-FERN defense as pointguard Nico Elorde and forward-center Gwayne Capacio forced the action without much in return. The Baby Tamaraws held on to a two-point lead 58-56 and ball possession with only 36 seconds left in the game. Tolomia ran a corner-to-corner passing game before Santiago took a long shot with their shot clock winding down. Santiago clanked it off the rim but Tolomia secured the offensive rebound and was fouled by Elorde. Tolomia went down with cramps and had to be substituted at the foul line by guard Paolo Talavera. Talavera muffed both freethrows with time down to a little over 10 seconds.

Zobel had a last crack at sending the game into overtime or winning it outright but Elorde was blunted on a desperation drive by forward Arwin Albano as the clock ran out.

Bedlam them erupted as the Baby Tamaraws and their fans exploded into big bursts of sheer joy. On the Zobel side Capacio, Elrode and Luigi Dela Paz looked shell-shocked at the unexpected turn of events. The Junior Archers were favored in this match-up with a twice-to-beat advantage. FEU-FERN extended the series and forced this ruybber match by winning last Saturday in double overtime.

Center Russel Escoto had 13 points, 11 rebounds and six blocks to lead the Baby Tamaraws, although he left the game early in the fourth period with massive cramps. Tolomia also had 13 points to go with nine rebounds.

Capacio had 11 points and 21 rebounds while Elorde led the scoring for Zobel with 12 markers.

On the distaff side forward Chovi Borja and pointguard Bernadette Mercado each had 16 points to overcome the 24 points and 13 rebounds of Adamson center Amby Almazan.

From a close first half the Lady Tamaraws got some separation with their high-low plays in the second half and practically cruised to the victory.

It will be FEU-FERN versus last year's runners-up the Ateneo Blue Eaglets disputing the high school diadem while FEU faces another runner-up from last season in the UP Lady Maroons in the women's division title clash.

Dark Knight
09-18-2008, 09:21 AM
And daming familiar surnames ah. Sorry if this has been discussed in the past.. is Chino related to the late Alfie Almario? Is Chris Tolomia related to Chester? Is Arwin related to coach Larry Albano?

I just found out that Chris Tolomia is the younger brother of Chester.

patupup
09-18-2008, 11:06 AM
congrats to the Baby Tams, galing!

sino na coach nito ngayon?

Joescoundrel
09-18-2008, 11:15 AM
^ Horatio Lim, formerly the head coach of the Mapua Cardinals in the earlier seasons of Kelvin Dela Pena and Ian Mazo.

The_Big_Cat
09-18-2008, 11:42 AM
^ Horatio Lim, formerly the head coach of the Mapua Cardinals in the earlier seasons of Kelvin Dela Pena and Ian Mazo.

Horacio Lim also coached the Mapua Red Robins in the early 90s with players Ernesto Ballesteros, Dennis Madrid and Henry Ong.

Dark Knight
09-18-2008, 08:29 PM
OT : While that Capacio from DLSZ is the son of FEU coach Glen capacio. Nice. ;D

Joescoundrel
09-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Russel Escoto will be in the spotlight more than any of the other Baby Tams in their series versus the Blue Eaglets.

He came into Season 71 as just the "tall one" on the FEU-FERN lineup and wrapped up the elims and the Final 4 as the leading contender for the junior division ROY.

His ability to block shots and get even long rebounds with his height and long limbs will be invaluable to the cause of Coach Horacio Lim. Forget about the points - if Escoto can control the boards and block shots he would've already earned his spot on the team. Also, more of the basketball world will be watching how he does in this series, and this is where his stock as a player will undoubtedly rise. At his height and with his athletic abilities they won't look too much at turnovers or errors, as long as he gets the rebounds and blocks. If he can control the shaded lane for FEU-FERN especially against the slashers of Ateneo FEU-FERN will lock up this season having upset the two best high school teams in the UAAP.

coreytaylor
09-19-2008, 11:43 AM
OT : While that Capacio from DLSZ is the son of FEU coach Glen capacio. Nice.* ;D

Saan kaya pupunta si Jr? DLSU o FEU? ::)

glock23
09-19-2008, 12:58 PM
OT : While that Capacio from DLSZ is the son of FEU coach Glen capacio. Nice.* ;D

Saan kaya pupunta si Jr? DLSU o FEU?* ::)

Ready for DLSU so far :)

The_Big_Cat
09-19-2008, 01:08 PM

Sakto ang pagpasok ni Capacio dahil by that time(2010) wala na siguro sila Mangahas at Barua.

batangueño
09-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Despite failing to reach this year's UAAP men's basketball finals, the FEU Tamaraws have nothing to be ashamed of. After two years of not being able to penetrate the UAAP men's basketball Final Four, FEU was able to come back to their usual turf in the past. :)

gfy
09-20-2008, 12:58 AM

Ready for DLSU so far* :)

We'll see ;).

glock23
09-20-2008, 02:05 PM

Ready for DLSU so far* :)

We'll see ;).

yep we'll see

tamarawz_14
09-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Despite failing to reach this year's UAAP men's basketball finals, the FEU Tamaraws have nothing to be ashamed of. After two years of not being able to penetrate the UAAP men's basketball Final Four, FEU was able to come back to their usual turf in the past. :)

from magtulis to santos era always consistent ang FEU... cawaling and company and overload talent in team B and having a good coach(capacio) i guess 3-5 years they can dominate the league......

Joescoundrel
09-22-2008, 11:38 AM
FEU's Lady Tamaraws may finally give long-time head coach Mike Oliver the championship he's come oh so close to getting these past several seasons. Pointguard Bernadette Mercado kept FEU poised and focused in the face of a furious end-game rallye by the UP Lady Maroons to take Game 1 54-52.

FEU actually had the lead for about 90% of the game but UP kept chipping away and hanging in there. Guards Fille Cainglet and Cam Tomelden conspired with forward Sai Sadorra and center Fats Tolentino to come within 52-51 in the last three minutes of play.

But Mercado, forwards Irene Rivera and Chovi Borja, went to the four-corner offense and crashed the offensive boards to give precious extra possessions to FEU in the last minute and a half of play. Bad freethrow shooting on both sides made the game a little more exciting.

Mercado led the Tamaraws with 13 points, Borja had 11 rebounds whole center Lyn Reyes had 12 boards of her own.

Tolentino had 17 points and 12 rebounds for UP, while Sadorra added 16 markers and 11 boards of her own.

bossman
09-22-2008, 10:33 PM

from magtulis to santos era always consistent ang FEU... cawaling and company and overload talent in team B and having a good coach(capacio) i guess 3-5 years they can dominate the league......

Ang ganda nun term na ginamit mo. Siguro after DLSU, FEU is the most consistent team in the UAAP. Season after season final four appearance lang talaga ang target yet maglalaro sa finals. Ang galing ng sports program.

Dark Knight
09-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Congrats to the FEU Lady Tams for winning the Womens Division via a 52-46 win over the UP Lady maroons.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3069/2891633955_b085984c52.jpg

eightyfiver
09-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Congrats Lady Tams! A sweet vindication after being snubbed in the myhtical five selection. :)

Dark Knight
09-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Congrats Lady Tams! A sweet vindication after being snubbed in the myhtical five selection.* :)

The Lady Tams can defeat at any given time the current Mythical 5 selection IMO. :)

Potchi_coolwhip55
12-07-2008, 11:23 PM
anung team si Ron Cabagnot sa PBL?? tnx po.. ^^

Hoops4lyfe
01-08-2010, 11:35 AM

Word around the street is that Anthony Gavieres is making his way back to the Philippines