PDA

View Full Version : Trust & Basketball

easter
06-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Why is basketball so clouded with suspicion of game fixing, manipulation, etc? We experience this from the best league in the world, the NBA, all the way down to barangay tournaments.

nastrans
06-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Power, Business, Money, Favors....you name it, probably the four simple reasons to it.

Joescoundrel
06-12-2008, 11:39 PM
On a related note: Dr Cecilio Pedro of Hapee Toothpaste was designated head of the SBP Committee on Audit and Ethics. I took him aside and asked him about whether or not his committee would look into the lineups of school teams in SBP member leagues and tournaments if there should be complaints. He just gave me a wry smile.

How I wish this committee would look into whether or not players from various school teams really were attending classes and making the grade. After all they are on the varsity team precisely because they are students. Plus there is a minimum unit passing requirement in certain school leagues.

There is a random drug check. Why not a random grade / attendance check?

easter
06-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Is it also possible that the reason basketball is so full of conspiracy theories is that it is very very hard to officiate with so many things happening at the same time in a crowded playing area since it is not as big as soccer that is why you can't see the other tricks of the players?

nastrans
06-13-2008, 02:55 PM
On a related note: Dr Cecilio Pedro of Hapee Toothpaste was designated head of the SBP Committee on Audit and Ethics. I took him aside and asked him about whether or not his committee would look into the lineups of school teams in SBP member leagues and tournaments if there should be complaints. He just gave me a wry smile.

How I wish this committee would look into whether or not players from various school teams really were attending classes and making the grade. After all they are on the varsity team precisely because they are students. Plus there is a minimum unit passing requirement in certain school leagues.

There is a random drug check. Why not a random grade / attendance check?

Sana hindi ka na lang binigyan ng wry smile ni Mr. Pedro? Akala ko ba e active siya sa kawang gawa? He should also take note of this as well.

Kid Cubao
06-13-2008, 07:43 PM
sa totoo lang, di ko na pinag-iisipan yan. bahala na sya, kung sino man yan, kung may presyo sya. it's a tag that'll hound him for the rest of his life.