PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NBA Finals: LA Lakers vs. Boston Celtics

Pages : 1 [2]

The_Big_Cat
06-13-2008, 12:25 PM
The greatest comeback in NBA playoff history. Sarap ulit-ulitin panoorin ang replay later.
And also to see, what went wrong for LA. ;)

john_paul_manahan
06-13-2008, 12:38 PM
choke choke choke choke choke!

oh boy....

great games by eddie house and james posey

cub
06-13-2008, 12:39 PM
JVG should shut his mouth from now on. when the Lakers led by as much as 20points in the 1st quarter, he said the game is over. the series is tied at 2 apiece. duh! ::)

coreytaylor
06-13-2008, 12:40 PM
The greatest comeback in NBA playoff history. Sarap ulit-ulitin panoorin ang replay later.
And also to see, what went wrong for LA.* ;)

^ oo nga! hehe

ot: pareng big cat, kailan birthday mo? haha ;D

Jeep
06-13-2008, 12:41 PM
just sneaked a peek at the TV in the office gym! *;D

unbelievable will to win, this new bunch of celtics! dare i say it? win or lose, this generation may very well be up there with the iconic crew of russell, cousy, havlicek, sharman, cowens, heinsohn, the joneses (keeping up with KC and sam can be bad for the lakers' health *;) ), and then later, bird, parrish, mchale, DJ, carr, henderson.

i agree with big cat, this will be great to watch later. all the internet sites have already called this the greatest comeback in NBA playoff history.

go celtics!!! one big fight! (iba nga lang ang kulay! *:D *)

Jeep
06-13-2008, 12:52 PM
OK, now that i got that adrenalin rush out of my system, a more sober insight:

yes, this group of celtics is great. the 1-year turnaround alone says it all.

but then, to put them in the pantheon of celtic greats may be, well, a bit of a stretch. why? because those guys won titles year-after-year-after-year. the present group will have to do that much to merit their elevation to celtic mt. olympus.

but i'm confident that this is the 1st step toward that.

p.s. i forgot don nelson and paul silas, and that leon powe precursor, scott wedman.

Kid Cubao
06-13-2008, 12:54 PM
this game 4 loss is a big, big blow to the supposed greatness of kobe bryant. now more than ever, he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as michael jordan. sayang...

nastrans
06-13-2008, 12:55 PM
Put this on the lore of Celtic basketball, and even Boston sports lore along with the Red Sox's 3-0 comeback over the Yankees BUT UNLESS they win the championship, maybe they could even put this on the Celtics DVD.

And finally, it's great to see KG creating for himself on the post instead of firing jumpers, it was effective for him. And Eddie House may have been irratating for shooting threes on the back-iron but he made up for it with some key shots.

Too bad Odom disappeared in the second half, he was looking to redeem himself, but only for 24 minutes but then the whole Lakers disappeared altogether.

nastrans
06-13-2008, 12:58 PM
this game 4 loss is a big, big blow to the supposed greatness of kobe bryant. now more than ever, he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as michael jordan. sayang...

At that point when the Celtics came roaring back, Kobe should have just took over, little passive on the offensive end and also credit to the Boston defense. The Michael Jordan's, Larry Bird's and Magic Johnson's take over at that stretch.

Raging Blue
06-13-2008, 01:01 PM
After encountering major production problems early in the filming, the director Doc Rivers made major adjustments in the script and personnel to enable the completion of "Kill Phil -Volume 3" subtitled "The Taming of the Black Mamba" right on schedule. The film also includes a cameo appearance by Jack Nicholson reprising his famous line, "You can't handle the Truth!"

In a post-production interview, leading actor Paul Pierce revealed that the filming of the last installment of the quadrilogy, Kill Phil - Volume 4 will be completed in time for Father's Day.

Celtics in five!

bchoter
06-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Pareng LION, just like my idol ;)

nastrans, maybe he was trying to prove a point again like he did in the Suns series a couple of years back :

TBC wag mo na panoorin yung replay. Baka manalo ang FLakers don.

Kid Cubao, sacrilage Jordan-<name of another player> in the same breadth :D. Lalo na if it's the biggest wanna-be of them all.

Game 5 will be the crowing of the new champs

MonL
06-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Celtics had just taken game 4. They could possibly take the title in game 5, given how the Lakers played today. But it's probably sweeter to win it at home.

Revenge is a dish served cold. They can stick it to LA the same way the Lakers stomped Boston at the Garden in their last finals appearance in 1987.

The Celtics have shown that they have the means to do so.

Mateen Cleaves
06-13-2008, 01:23 PM

What about mentioning Phil Jackson? The convention is players win games (see Game 3) and coaches lose games, di ba? If he loses this series, tanggapin kaya niya na dapat may asterisk na rin yung mga MJ and Shaq championships niya? ;D

tigerman
06-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Paul Pierce just gave the MVP a dose of his own medicine, playing great D on the team's best player and making plays on both ends of the court. During his early years, I thought his defense was overrated but his outstanding D earlier against Kobe proved the doubters wrong including me.

Kudos as well to the C's supporting cast of House and Posey. Who can forget Rayray who is the most consistent Celtic so far in the finals.

As for Kobe Bryant, too bad that the all-important game 4 turned out to be his worst game in a long while. Not only was he throwing bricks, he was terrible on D. He got beaten numerous times by his man on the way to the basket, including that crucial reverse layup of Allen.

Great start by Odom but he can't seem to get away from the word inconsistency.

Lastly, I think that Doc Rivers is getting the better of Phil Jackson in this series in terms of adjustments. He decided to use Pierce against the world's best player. What about his other adjustments? Using Posey extensively at the "4" position and sticking with the spot-up shooter House in lieu of the less than 100% Rondo.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

cub
06-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Ray Allen will be the Finals MVP.

nastrans
06-13-2008, 01:32 PM
bchoter, as much as I dislike Kobe for his being "bakaw" there comes a time he should take over at that stretch.

erichubert
06-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Kobe did as much as he could, obviously credit goes to Boston's defense, as I said even if they are down by 2, 20 or 30, they still play great defense and that makes them dangerous no matter what. I think it is just Boston's year, they are more a team than LA, they are more focused, more inspired, in short they just want it more. It could be in Game 5 or 6, but Boston would take this, and I think I would go with Pierce as the Finals MVP. Has there been ever co-finals MVPs before? Well Allen and Pierce could be the first.

MonL
06-13-2008, 01:53 PM
OK, now that i got that adrenalin rush out of my system, a more sober insight:

yes, this group of celtics is great. the 1-year turnaround alone says it all.

but then, to put them in the pantheon of celtic greats may be, well, a bit of a stretch. why? because those guys won titles year-after-year-after-year. the present group will have to do that much to merit their elevation to celtic mt. olympus.

but i'm confident that this is the 1st step toward that.

p.s. i forgot don nelson and paul silas, and that leon powe precursor, scott wedman.

That may never happen again as free agency, cap and trade considerations, the lottery, and many other off court factors enhancing parity make that nearly impossible. I think that if any team in this era repeats, that is already a yardstick for greatness.

p.s. And dont forget the Celtic "fringe players" such as Hank Finkel, Eric Fernsten and the current ones, Brian Scalabrine and Scot Pollard. :D

LION
06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Celtics had just taken game 4. They could possibly take the title in game 5, given how the Lakers played today. But it's probably sweeter to win it at home.

Revenge is a dish served cold. They can stick it to LA the same way the Lakers stomped Boston at the Garden in their last finals appearance in 1987.

The Celtics have shown that they have the means to do so.

This is also a byword in the Kill Phil Kill Bill movie. *;D *

sa_pula
06-13-2008, 02:05 PM
nakakatawa si chino ramdam na ramdam mo yung inis after ma lusutan ni allen si vujacic..

Vujacic hero sa game 3.Goat sa game 4 --chino ;D

MonL
06-13-2008, 02:13 PM
nakakatawa si chino ramdam na ramdam mo yung inis after ma lusutan ni allen si vujacic..

Vujacic hero sa game 3.Goat sa game 4 --chino* ;D

Doc was wise in putting in four shooters and a big in that endgame play. The Lakers couldnt double team anyone and had to play one-on-one defense. The shooters were spaced far apart so that when Allen read Vujacic's defense, he simply dribble-drived and blew past Sasha. You have to feel for Sasha as he was put in a spot in the biggest stage in basketball.

Kinda. ;D

bchoter
06-13-2008, 02:15 PM
bchoter, as much as I dislike Kobe for his being "bakaw" there comes a time he should take over at that stretch.
Agree. But in the playoff series a few years back he deliberately stopped making attempts at the basket just to prove to all how important he is to the team. Such is the psyche of an insecured but superstar :D

mighty_lion
06-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Ang hirap ng wala team sa Finals. Di ko alam kung sino kakampihan. Wala pa akong napapanoud kahit isang game. *;D

Game 5 sa NSG na lang. Lahat ng pro-Boston mag-green. Yong maka-LA naman Yellow. Hehe.

nastrans
06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Agree. But in the playoff series a few years back he deliberately stopped making attempts at the basket just to prove to all how important he is to the team. Such is the psyche of an insecured but superstar :D

Kaya tinira ng tinira siya ni Barkley, only for Sir Charles to play a soft interview with him sa TNT studios. :D

erichubert
06-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Kobe struggled offensively today, it didn't matter early on but his teammates disappeared suddenly in the 2nd half. When Kobe tried to get them back again, it was too late already. I can't believe I am saying this but I think Doc is outcoaching Phil in this series, he is making the right substitutions and adjustments. I thought Phil put Derek Fisher back too late in the game, dapat middle of the fourth quarter pa lang when the Celtics were already within a basket binalik na si Fisher.

MonL
06-13-2008, 02:36 PM
What a headline in Yahoo Sports:

"Stapled shut."* :D :D :D

lekiboy
06-13-2008, 03:05 PM
pang jinx kay MonL-

the lakers will be the 1st team to recover from a 1-3 series and eventually win the nba crown...hehehe

Monl- nakita kita kahapon - mukhang milyonaryo na talaga- bwehehehe----

erichubert
06-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Some team would eventually do that but it would be easier if that team has the homecourt advantage. In this situiation, mukhang impossible na humabol with game 6 and 7 in Boston.

LION
06-13-2008, 04:28 PM
pang jinx kay MonL-

the lakers will be the 1st team to recover from a 1-3 series and eventually win the nba crown...hehehe

To be the first to do that, the Lakers must win all the remaining (3) games against the Celtics, including 2 in Boston.
It's not impossible, but the probability of it happening is very nil at this stage.

The_Big_Cat
06-13-2008, 04:34 PM
I'll say it again from my post 3 days ago:

The Boston Celtics are 30-0 all-time when winning games 1 & 2 in a 7-game series.
31 is the jersey number of Cedric Maxwell. This will be Boston's 31st series win after winning games 1 & 2 in a 7-game series.

"Defense" beat "Offense" in this series.

Dark Knight
06-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Whew, i juggled my soda bottles in joy and disbelief.

Kobe "always complaining to the referees" was shut down. So, can he win without ShaQ?

Lamar "just got lucky in the first half" Odom probably will be in the trading block.

Phil "i will surpass Red's record in my dreams" Jackson was stunned and probably thinking am i really a great coach? Can i bring Minessota to the Finals if i will coach them?

Sasha "just got lucky in Game 3" Vujacic has seen the reality.

Jack "Randy Santiago is my idol" Nicholson should watch at the Garden.

Kevin "im reduced to a jump shooter" Garnett hit timely baskets.

Paul "i thought im having another bad game" delivered at the clutch.

Ray "am i really struglling?" is the biggest of the Big 3.

Doc "now i can say im a good coach" Rivers will ask for a raise in his contract

and finally.......

Chino "im a Lakers fan or id rather be dead" Trinidad will forever be a Lakers fan, win or lose. So what?

PS

Chot "Lakers in 6" Reyes.......what happened?

:D

MonL
06-13-2008, 05:26 PM
pang jinx kay MonL-

shhhhh....:-X* di naman... ;D

sa jinx mo.... wag naman..... ;D

Mateen Cleaves
06-13-2008, 06:02 PM
Reviewing the game highlights, I have one question. Yung reverse lay-up ni Ray Allen na galing sa left side. Yung #1 play sa NBA.com... Does that qualify as a TRIPLE-clutch? Una sa kaliwa to get Gasol to commit, then a second... pero nung nakita na masusupalpal ng ring, binaba pa ulit before releasing the ball on the right side of the backboard. ;D

nastrans
06-13-2008, 06:21 PM
Mateen,

Pwede pa atang apat na beses

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s158/matzhee/2n19izl-1.gif

Baka mamaya sabihin ni Eala na apat segundu na lumipad sa ere si Allen. :D

RockLobster
06-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Na-mention yung coaches losing games... Is Phil Jackson really being out-coached by Doc Rivers? Has Jackson's triangle offense been rendered passe? Is it mere defensive talent from Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo that we're seeing, or has Rivers concucted a triangle-breaking defensive formula that's made Jackson think twice about considering himself as great as Red Auerbach?

pio_valenz
06-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Kobe once said of Ray Allen, "Don't even mention me and that dude in the same breath."

After Ray-ray's triple-clutch (yep, mukhang triple clutch nga) move and that stutter step that just froze Vujajic on the way to the game-clinching lay-up, I wonder what Kobe thinks of him now. ;D

Kid Cubao
06-13-2008, 07:36 PM
heto panoorin nyo kung anung klaseng tao si kobe pag asar-talo: http://youtube.com/watch?v=YmJbh6GBV9c

mukhang may magpapakalulong sa alak dahil na-olats.

Dark Knight
06-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Mateen,

Pwede pa atang apat na beses

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s158/matzhee/2n19izl-1.gif

Baka mamaya sabihin ni Eala na apat segundu na lumipad sa ere si Allen. :D

Gasol and Odom must've wondered........"how in the world did that shot went in?"

Bryant......"shhhhhh..done that already"

rafi
06-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Kobe once said of Ray Allen, "Don't even mention me and that dude in the same breath."

After Ray-ray's triple-clutch (yep, mukhang triple clutch nga) move and that stutter step that just froze Vujajic on the way to the game-clinching lay-up, I wonder what Kobe thinks of him now. ;D

that, plus allen's been playing great defense on kobe all series. of course he doesn't get all the credit. the celtics team defense has forced him to take jumpshots more often than not in the halfcourt set

nastrans
06-13-2008, 09:22 PM
"I thought they played much better defense in front of the [Celtics] bench," said Jackson, as the Lakers were going toward Boston's bench during the second half. "They're coached very well from the bench."

ESPN.com

I hope Jax is joking but talk about excuse, bottomline your team didn't respond well in the second half and the C's did their thing to take a 3-1 edge.

dark_seid
06-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Ray Allen played without rest, and made big plays down the stretch with Pierce, Garnett, Posey and Eddie House. Posey showing championship poise by knocking a big 3 near the end to overcome the hump. House provided the shooting to keep LA interior open for KG posts. Pierce has been an underrated defender, showed how he can do the job by guarding Bryant. He also brought the ball down to make point forward plays

timeouts are sooooo long that playing more than 40 minutes of game time doesn't matter like the regular season (or in the earlier playoff rounds).

What about mentioning Phil Jackson? The convention is players win games (see Game 3) and coaches lose games, di ba? If he loses this series, tanggapin kaya niya na dapat may asterisk na rin yung mga MJ and Shaq championships niya? ;D

huwag naman ... no coach ever won anything without a super player in the game of basketball at this level eh (except maybe larry brown in 2004)

Dark Knight
06-14-2008, 08:17 AM
What im waiting is for Phil Jackson to do a "Westphal Guarantee". ;D

Kid Cubao
06-14-2008, 08:55 AM
how things change in the course of one season. last year, when boston struggled all season long and ended up with a 24-58 record, charles barkley was said to have commented: "the celtics are two players away from championship contention--bill russell, and larry bird" ;D

eightyfiver
06-14-2008, 11:10 AM
* * * * * * * * * * * best
Revenge is a dish^ served cold. They can stick it to LA the same way the Lakers stomped Boston at the Garden in their last finals appearance in 1987.

Just inserted a word that you missed on your quote.* :)

Mateen Cleaves
06-14-2008, 11:20 AM
how things change in the course of one season. last year, when boston struggled all season long and ended up with a 24-58 record, charles barkley was said to have commented: "the celtics are two players away from championship contention--bill russell, and larry bird" ;D

Barkley was correct. Garnett plus half of Paul Pierce = Bill Russell. Ray Allen plus the remaining half of Pierce = Larry Bird! ;D

MonL
06-14-2008, 11:45 AM
What im waiting is for Phil Jackson to do a "Westphal Guarantee".* ;D

And I remember seeing a fan flash a* poster behind Phoenix Suns coach Paul Westphal in their Finals series with the Bulls:

"The West will Phall."* *:D

pio_valenz
06-14-2008, 12:15 PM

Check out ESPN Page 2's new slogan: ....where we will never, ever compare Kobe to MJ again. :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/index

coreytaylor
06-14-2008, 12:20 PM
MABUHAY ANG MGA KOBE HATERS!! MABUHAY!! ;D ;D

MonL
06-14-2008, 12:43 PM

Wait a minute...that was a Pat Riley thing after their '87 Championship.

After making good on his guarantee by repeating in 1988, Riley was asked inside their dugout if he will make a guarantee again. Kareem Abdul Jabbar promptly stuffed a towel in Riley's mouth. :D* *

MonL
06-14-2008, 02:21 PM
* * * * * * * * * * * best
Revenge is a dish^ served cold. They can stick it to LA the same way the Lakers stomped Boston at the Garden in their last finals appearance in 1987.

Just inserted a word that you missed on your quote.* :)

You're right, of course. :)

But then again, I don't hate them that much.* ;D

Dark Knight
06-14-2008, 08:22 PM

After making good on his guarantee by repeating in 1988, Riley was asked inside their dugout if he will make a guarantee again. Kareem Abdul Jabbar promptly stuffed a towel in Riley's mouth. :D* *

Nerves of steel coach Paul Westphal was eh? After being down 0-2 against the Vlade Divac led Lakers, he told the world at the presscon right after their Game 2 loss, "we will win Games 3,4 and 5 and everyone will say what a great series it was. "

If you have players like Dan Majerle. Kevin Johnson, Danny Ainge and Charles Barkley..................................i wont make such a stupid prediction.* ;D

rafi
06-14-2008, 09:15 PM
i hope the celtics win it on monday as payback for that 1985 championship loss to the lakers at boston garden

MonL
06-15-2008, 02:30 AM

Nerves of steel coach Paul Westphal was eh? After being down 0-2 against the Vlade Divac led Lakers, he told the world at the presscon right after their Game 2 loss, "we will win Games 3,4 and 5 and everyone will say what a great series it was. "

If you have players like Dan Majerle. Kevin Johnson, Danny Ainge and Charles Barkley..................................i wont make such a stupid prediction.* ;D

OHhhhhhh.....THAT I didnt know.*;D Riley's audacity had the more impact as it was uttered at a bigger stage, and he delivered.*

Speaking of Ainge, then Suns teammate Barkley called him "dannyainge" as he was the only one who stood up against and gained the respect of Sir Charles.
And Barkley related that Ainge always showed off his championship rings and told endless Celtics stories to inspire his Suns teammates then, "so that they can start telling Phoenix Suns stories and not just listen to Boston Celtic stories." :)

Looks like all that Ainge'll do will be to tell nothing but Boston Celtics stories.
Including a new one this season, complete with another title and ring.* ;D

wesley canlas
06-15-2008, 05:51 AM
Looks like the C's are about to take the crown right into el-ay's turf.

The_Big_Cat
06-15-2008, 11:24 AM
I still see LA winning one more at their own floor. Pride na lang yan not to allow Boston to have their party at the Staples Center.

If Boston do wins it tomorrow, I wonder kung sino yung nag-iisang bumoto for "Boston in 5" sa poll ng Gameface.

May premyo kaya siya from gameface? :-X :D

RockLobster
06-15-2008, 04:40 PM
i hope the celtics win it on monday as payback for that 1985 championship loss to the lakers at boston garden

Wasn't that '86, Magic Johnson's running hook down the lane for the winning basket?

MonL
06-15-2008, 06:33 PM

Wasn't that '86, Magic Johnson's running hook down the lane for the winning basket?

Johnson's "junior, junior, junior skyhook" was done in 1987. The Celtics won in 1986 against the Houston Rockets who were led by Twin Towers Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson.

dark_seid
06-15-2008, 07:49 PM
^ that '86 finals was what bill "boston sports guy" simmons always point to as the lakers copping out of a rematch and the potential embarrassment against possibly the best celtics team ever.

Dark Knight
06-15-2008, 09:07 PM

Johnson's "junior, junior, junior skyhook" was done in 1987. The Celtics won in 1986 against the Houston Rockets who were led by Twin Towers Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson.

Yep, that was Game 4 of the 1987 Finals at the garden. Lakers are leading 2-1 in the series. With time winding down and the lakers with a 2 point lead, Bird drilled a trifecta at the corner to give the Celtics a 1 point lead until that Johnsons baby hook that sealed the win for LA. Lakers finished the series in game 6 at the forum.

Howard the Duck
06-16-2008, 01:53 AM
go lakers hahahah

Paul of Bataan
06-16-2008, 07:57 AM
i was backreading the pages of the thread in search of my old post regarding my prediction for the series when i stumbled upon this. eerily prophetic by Kid Cubao in the way the series eventually unfolded:

when we strip the upcoming finals series of all its hype and overdramatization, it boils down to this: can kobe alone carry the lakers against the big three of KG, ray allen, and longtime celtic paul pierce? pag inalat at kinapos si kobe, meron bang kayang mag-dala sa lakers? on the other hand, we've seen in the eastern playoffs just what a three-headed monster can do: pag kinakapos na si KG at si ray allen, nandyan pa rin si paul pierce.

and just when we've written off ray allen as a playoff disappointment, he breaks out and scorches detroit with 29 points in game 6. and KG, well, KG has shown time and again what a well-rounded game he has by focusing on the other aspects when his scoring wanders off.

anyway, here was my post ;D

i hate the lakers! but i hate to say this: its hard to beat the la lakers! soo to all my fellow boston fans: would you just shut up and stop make predictions that boston will win it all @ 6! jesus christ! why dont just watch the series and why dont u just shot your mouths and let the la lakers fans do the talking!

ah ganun ba? fellow celtics fans, ituloy lang natin ang mga predictions, boston in 5 games!!!!!

cub
06-16-2008, 12:09 PM
as what everybody expected, the Lakers won game5, 103-98. now everybody is expecting a Boston win on wednesday. ;D

erichubert
06-16-2008, 12:16 PM
They almost gave up their huge lead again, twice in fact they led by 17 after one, and by 14 in the fourth quarter. At least they sucked it up and gutted out the win. It was a consolation win for them, at least Boston wouldn't celebrate in their homecourt. Buti naman nagpakita ng pride ang team. And welcome to the Finals Lamar, you finally showed up, a couple of games late though :)

The_Big_Cat
06-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Kobe Bryant shot poorly from the field as the Lakers escaped from another Celtic comeback.
Paul Pierce was just unstoppable. Finally, Lamar Odom asserted himself by posting the smaller Posey. Garnett had trouble guarding the taller Gasol and in effect was in foul trouble since the first half.

Celtics in 6.

batangueño
06-16-2008, 12:57 PM
It looks like the "Boston in six" prediction may come true on Tuesday night in the US (Wednesday morning here in the Philippines). ;D

Bilib din ako sa Celtics. Never say die talaga. Hindi ko alam pero mukhang magaling na motivator talaga si Doc Rivers. He is the coach without much X's and O's but when he speaks, he boosts his players' fighting spirit. :)

Congratulations to the Lakers for winning Game 5. We'll see you all at the TD Banknorth Garden on Tuesday night. ;)

GO CELTICS! BEAT L.A.! ;D

tigerman
06-16-2008, 12:58 PM
KG's foul trouble was mainly due to guarding Gasol right from the start of the game as a result of Perkins' injury. As a Boston fan, you would want to see a complete Celtics team come game 6.

And what about KG's 2 missed freethrows? choking? :P

Anyway, I'm still right on target for my prediction of Boston in 6. *;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

cub
06-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Kobe Bryant shot poorly from the field as the Lakers escaped from another Celtic comeback.
Paul Pierce was just unstoppable. Finally, Lamar Odom asserted himself by posting the smaller Posey. Garnett had trouble guarding the taller Gasol and in effect was in foul trouble since the first half.

Celtics in 6.

Garnett and Gasol have the same height. it's just Gasol is 7'0 and KG is 6'12. :) those fouls from KG were ticky tack fouls. the 3rd foul that was slapped to KG was not a foul at all.

The_Big_Cat
06-16-2008, 01:04 PM

Celtics in 6.

Garnett and Gasol have the same height. it's just Gasol is 7'0 and KG is 6'12. :) those fouls from KG were ticky tack fouls. the 3rd foul that was slapped to KG was not a foul at all.

Makapal ang buhok ni Pau kaya mga 7'1" siguro siya. ;D
Yes mga useless reach-ins' that KG made.

pablohoney
06-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Ichokai.
I was expecting (like most of us here) that Lakers will come back and win the last game on their homecourt.
With a little help from the refs. Joke. No bitterness here. ;D

I want the Celtics to win and celebrate at home.
Still no future for a 7th game though.

Still Boston at 6.

batangueño
06-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Well, siguro ang lesson na dapat matutunan ng Celtics on their way home to play Game 6 of the Finals ay yung maging mas maingat (maraming fouls na na-commit ay dahil sa some sort of lapse in judgment) at mas focused sa laro. The Celtics should even take advantage of the fact that Game 6 will be played in front of the Boston faithful at the TD Banknorth Garden on Tuesday night. :)

Mukhang hindi pa yata nasisilat ang prediction ko na Boston in six. ;D

tigerman
06-16-2008, 01:14 PM
I just read from another forums that Ray Allen's daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

erichubert
06-16-2008, 01:43 PM
I think a lot of us underestimated Doc Rivers, he is indeed a good motivator, as for the Xs and Os, he has able assistant coaches to help him with that. Phil in my opinion WAS a good motivator, I am not sure but he doesn't seem to be as motivated as Doc to win this series.

tigerman
06-16-2008, 01:47 PM
I think Phil's motivation is to surpass the late Red Auerbach for the most no. of NBA titles as the coach.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

erichubert
06-16-2008, 01:58 PM
I agree with that but I think the motivation of winning your first championship is greater than his motivation of winning his tenth and there lies the difference between Phil and Doc. Doc is going out of his way to motivate his players from day 1 this season, Phil isn't that aggressive.

Kid Cubao
06-16-2008, 02:01 PM
look at it this way. the lakers had to win, or it's all over.

which is why it bears noting what boston coach doc rivers said in his pregame speech. he said that this game is for all intents and purposes game 7 for boston, and that it's up to his players to determine how many game 7's they will want to play.

erichubert
06-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Doc Rivers= Barack Obama of the NBA
Phil Jackson= John McCain ;D

The_Big_Cat
06-16-2008, 02:08 PM
Doc Rivers= Barack Obama of the NBA
Phil Jackson= John McCain ;D

Sino si Hillary Cllinton? ;D

batangueño
06-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Sino si Hillary Cllinton? ;D

Si Gregg Popovich? :o ;D

coreytaylor
06-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Lakers still alive, beat Celtics 103-98 in Game 5
By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap

LOS ANGELES (AP)—Pack up the championship trophy and book a flight back to Boston, the NBA finals aren’t over yet.

The Los Angeles Lakers are headed East to try a historic comeback of their own.

Kobe Bryant scored 25 points, including a decisive dunk in the final minute — and Lamar Odom added 20 as the Lakers, playing with pride on their star-studded stage, prevented the Celtics from winning a 17th title with a 103-98 win in Game 5 on Sunday night to close to 3-2 in this restored rivalry.

“We didn’t want to see any champagne popping,” Odom said. “It wasn’t easy. I wouldn’t expect it to be.”

No team has overcome a 3-1 deficit in the finals to win a title. The first 28 failed, and now the Lakers, who blew a 24-point lead and lost Game 4 and nearly squandered a 19-point lead in Game 5, have a chance to do something extraordinary.

They’ll have to win on the Celtics’ parquet floor Tuesday night to force a winner-take-all Game 7, where anything is possible.

Especially with Bryant, the game’s best player, on hand.

“We’ve won on the road before,” Bryant said. “We’ve played in tough environments before.”

But the league’s MVP and uberforce, who spent much of last summer grumbling to Lakers management for help to get him a fourth championship ring, didn’t have to fly a solo mission to extend L.A.’s season for at least another game.

Pau Gasol had 19 points and 13 rebounds, Odom had 11 rebounds and four blocks and Derek Fisher added 15 points.

“We were aggressive. We played hard,” Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. “Not smart all the time, but we played hard.”

Paul Pierce led the Celtics with 38 points, Kevin Garnett added 13 points and 14 rebounds, and Ray Allen had 16 points. But Boston’s Big Three couldn’t close their first chance at winning it all, and now will get two cracks at home to finish the job.

“Guys are down and upset because they thought they could have, they thought they should have,” Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. “We played all year to have home court.”

After scoring 15 points in the first quarter, Bryant went cold from the floor and finished just 8-of-21. But he made a big steal, poking the ball away from Paul Pierce and streaking down to deliver a two-handed dunk with 37.4 seconds left.

“I just was kind of reading the play and I was able to get my hands on the ball and get out and get a dunk,” Bryant said.

The Celtics called a timeout, Jack Nicholson jumped to his feet and the scoreboard in Staples Center flashed: Not In Our House!

When the final horn sounded, purple and gold streamers fell from the ceiling and the public address announcer said, “Game 6 will be Tuesday night in Boston. This is not over yet.”

On Saturday, Bryant had said “this is far from over,” and he could be right.

Accused of being selfish and too tough on his not-as-talented teammates, Bryant can bow to the other Lakers for sending the series back across country.

Gasol, the 7-foot Spanish center criticized for being pillowy soft, didn’t back down underneath and was able to get Garnett into foul trouble.

But just as they did in Game 4, when they staged the biggest comeback in finals history, the Celtics pushed the Lakers to the brink of summer with another rally. This one fell a little short, but the outcome was still in doubt when Pierce, who grew up hating Boston like every other kid from L.A., made two free throws with 1:14 remaining to get the Celtics to 97-95.

Fisher then missed a jumper and the Celtics appeared to be in business when Pierce fought off two Lakers for a rebound. But as he dribbled toward the basket, Bryant reached around and knocked the ball away to Odom, who then fed Bryant for his slam.

Still, the Celtics wouldn’t go away.

After Bryant missed one of two free throws with 16 seconds left, Eddie House nailed a 3-pointer to make it 101-98 with 14 seconds left. House then nearly stole the ensuing inbounds pass, but Bryant, sprawled out on the floor, got the ball to Fisher, who drew a desperation foul.

Fisher then made two free throws and stole Boston’s last pass as Lakers fans, stunned to silence a few nights ago, left the building dreaming of seeing another improbable comeback.

This is the 11th meeting—and first since 1987—between the league’s two most stories franchises, and it could be headed for a crescendo befitting the matchups between Bird and Magic, McHale and Abdul-Jabbar, and Russell and West.

Before the game, Lakers coach Jackson said the only way for his team to approach a close-out game was to keep playing.

“A lot of things can happen,” he said. “We’re young enough and dumb enough to be able to do this.”

With Bryant, they have the smarts and skills to get it done.

He made four 3-pointers in the first eight minutes and his free throw gave the Lakers a 25-15 lead. The Celtics were forced to extend their defense, and Bryant made them pay when he faked a long-range shot and fired a pass underneath to Vladimir Radmanovic to make it 29-15.

Odom, a model of inconsistency in the series, drove the lane for a hoop to put the Lakers ahead by 16, and Gasol’s bucket in the final second made the overhead scoreboard read: Lakers 39, Celtics 22.

Most teams might panic. Not the Celtics. They were in a bigger hole—21 points—after the first quarter in Game 4 when they staged their epic rally.

And, sure enough, back Boston came.

When Sasha Vujacic scored, the Lakers’ lead bulged to 19 and the oh-so-trendy L.A. faithful were carrying on like a rowdy East coast crowd. That’s when the Celtics began chipping away as Pierce scored six points and Allen, Tony not Ray, scored two quick baskets.

The Celtics’ rally seemed short-lived when Garnett picked up his third personal, but with the Lakers unable to get anything to drop, Pierce made a layup and 3 to make it 43-39 before Odom finally ended Los Angeles nearly six-minute scoring drought.

The Lakers briefly regrouped but P.J. Brown scored on a putback and Pierce hit another 3-pointer with 5.2 seconds left as the Celtics closed to 55-52 at half and bounded toward their locker just 24 minutes from a title.

stonecold316
06-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Lakers stay alive, beat Celtics 103-98 in Game 5
06/16/2008 | 12:13 PM
Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us
(Updated) LOS ANGELES - Pack up the championship trophy and book a flight back to Boston, the NBA finals aren't over yet.

The Los Angeles Lakers are headed East to try a historic comeback of their own.

Kobe Bryant scored 25 points, including a decisive dunk in the final minute — and Lamar Odom added 20 as the Lakers, playing with pride on their star-studded stage, prevented the Celtics from winning a 17th title with a 103-98 win in Game 5 on Sunday night to close to 3-2 in this restored rivalry.

"We didn't want to see any champagne popping," Odom said. "It wasn't easy. I wouldn't expect it to be."

No team has overcome a 3-1 deficit in the finals to win a title. The first 28 failed, and now the Lakers, who blew a 24-point lead and lost Game 4 and nearly squandered a 19-point lead in Game 5, have a chance to do something extraordinary.

They'll have to win on the Celtics' parquet floor Tuesday night to force a winner-take-all Game 7, where anything is possible.

Especially with Bryant, the game's best player, on hand.

"We've won on the road before," Bryant said. "We've played in tough environments before."

But the league's MVP and uberforce, who spent much of last summer grumbling to Lakers management for help to get him a fourth championship ring, didn't have to fly a solo mission to extend L.A.'s season for at least another game.

Pau Gasol had 19 points and 13 rebounds, Odom had 11 rebounds and four blocks and Derek Fisher added 15 points.

"We were aggressive. We played hard," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "Not smart all the time, but we played hard."

Paul Pierce led the Celtics with 38 points, Kevin Garnett added 13 points and 14 rebounds, and Ray Allen had 16 points. But Boston's Big Three couldn't close their first chance at winning it all, and now will get two cracks at home to finish the job.

"Guys are down and upset because they thought they could have, they thought they should have," Celtics coach Doc Rivers said. "We played all year to have home court."

After scoring 15 points in the first quarter, Bryant went cold from the floor and finished just 8-of-21. But he made a big steal, poking the ball away from Paul Pierce and streaking down to deliver a two-handed dunk with 37.4 seconds left.

"I just was kind of reading the play and I was able to get my hands on the ball and get out and get a dunk," Bryant said.

The Celtics called a timeout, Jack Nicholson jumped to his feet and the scoreboard in Staples Center flashed: Not In Our House!

When the final horn sounded, purple and gold streamers fell from the ceiling and the public address announcer said, "Game 6 will be Tuesday night in Boston. This is not over yet."

On Saturday, Bryant had said "this is far from over," and he could be right.

Accused of being selfish and too tough on his not-as-talented teammates, Bryant can bow to the other Lakers for sending the series back across country.

Gasol, the 7-foot Spanish center criticized for being pillowy soft, didn't back down underneath and was able to get Garnett into foul trouble.

But just as they did in Game 4, when they staged the biggest comeback in finals history, the Celtics pushed the Lakers to the brink of summer with another rally. This one fell a little short, but the outcome was still in doubt when Pierce, who grew up hating Boston like every other kid from L.A., made two free throws with 1:14 remaining to get the Celtics to 97-95.

Fisher then missed a jumper and the Celtics appeared to be in business when Pierce fought off two Lakers for a rebound. But as he dribbled toward the basket, Bryant reached around and knocked the ball away to Odom, who then fed Bryant for his slam.

Still, the Celtics wouldn't go away.

After Bryant missed one of two free throws with 16 seconds left, Eddie House nailed a 3-pointer to make it 101-98 with 14 seconds left. House then nearly stole the ensuing inbounds pass, but Bryant, sprawled out on the floor, got the ball to Fisher, who drew a desperation foul.

Fisher then made two free throws and stole Boston's last pass as Lakers fans, stunned to silence a few nights ago, left the building dreaming of seeing another improbable comeback.

This is the 11th meeting — and first since 1987 — between the league's two most stories franchises, and it could be headed for a crescendo befitting the matchups between Bird and Magic, McHale and Abdul-Jabbar, and Russell and West.

Before the game, Lakers coach Jackson said the only way for his team to approach a close-out game was to keep playing.

"A lot of things can happen," he said. "We're young enough and dumb enough to be able to do this."

With Bryant, they have the smarts and skills to get it done.

He made four 3-pointers in the first eight minutes and his free throw gave the Lakers a 25-15 lead. The Celtics were forced to extend their defense, and Bryant made them pay when he faked a long-range shot and fired a pass underneath to Vladimir Radmanovic to make it 29-15.

Odom, a model of inconsistency in the series, drove the lane for a hoop to put the Lakers ahead by 16, and Gasol's bucket in the final second made the overhead scoreboard read: Lakers 39, Celtics 22.

Most teams might panic. Not the Celtics. They were in a bigger hole — 21 points — after the first quarter in Game 4 when they staged their epic rally.

And, sure enough, back Boston came.

When Sasha Vujacic scored, the Lakers' lead bulged to 19 and the oh-so-trendy L.A. faithful were carrying on like a rowdy East coast crowd. That's when the Celtics began chipping away as Pierce scored six points and Allen, Tony not Ray, scored two quick baskets.

The Celtics' rally seemed short-lived when Garnett picked up his third personal, but with the Lakers unable to get anything to drop, Pierce made a layup and 3 to make it 43-39 before Odom finally ended Los Angeles nearly six-minute scoring drought.

The Lakers briefly regrouped but P.J. Brown scored on a putback and Pierce hit another 3-pointer with 5.2 seconds left as the Celtics closed to 55-52 at half and bounded toward their locker just 24 minutes from a title.

Notes:@ The Celtics played their 25th game of these playoffs, equaling the most by any team in one postseason. New York (1994) and Detroit (2005) also played 25, each ending with Game 7 losses in the finals. ... NFL star Terrell Owens and rap mogul P. Diddy were among the new celebrity faces, joining Hollywood A-listers Nicholson, Denzel Washington, Dustin Hoffman and soccer star David Beckham. ... Pierce denied a report that he he'll have surgery on his sprained knee, although he may need one once he decides to have an MRI in assess the damage. - AP

stonecold316
06-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Celtics fail to close out Lakers in Los Angeles
06/16/2008 | 12:34 PM
LOS ANGELES - Paul Pierce took the Boston Celtics to the brink of another improbable comeback and then let it slip out of his hands.

The All-Star scored 38 points in Game 5 of the NBA finals against Los Angeles on Sunday night, but twice in the final minutes let Kobe Bryant slap the ball away as the Lakers held on to win 103-98 and force the series back to Boston.

Game 6 is Tuesday night, and the Celtics would have another chance to close out their 17th NBA title on Thursday night if they need it.

The Celtics overcame a 24-point deficit to win Game 4 in Los Angeles, and they fell behind quickly in Game 5 as well. The Lakers took a 41-22 lead with the first basket of the second quarter, and again the Celtics mounted a comeback.

With the other starters resting or in foul trouble, Pierce scored 13 of Boston's next 17 points and also helped out on the other two baskets with an assist and a steal as the Celtics cut a 41-22 deficit to four points with a 15-0 run.

Pierce, an L.A. native facing the team he followed as a kid, had 26 at the half and finished with eight assists and six rebounds while playing every minute until the very end.

But with just over 3 minutes left and the Celtics trailing 94-91, Bryant slapped the ball away from Pierce to make it a two-possession game. It was 97-95 when Pierce grabbed a rebound and brought the ball across halfcourt.

Again, Bryant poked it loose to Lamar Odom, who threw it upcourt to the streaking Bryant for a clinching dunk. - AP

stonecold316
06-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Odom, Gasol, do inside job for Lakers vs Celtics in Game 5
06/16/2008 | 01:17 PM
LOS ANGELES - Lamar Odom and Pau Gasol pulled disappearing acts after halftime in the first four games of the NBA finals, deferring to Lakers star Kobe Bryant.

The Los Angeles big men stood tall when Bryant struggled offensively after the first quarter in Game 5, and with that, the Lakers are going back to Boston.

Odom had 20 points, 11 rebounds and four blocked shots, Gasol added 19 points, 13 rebounds and six assists, and the Lakers beat the Celtics 103-98 Sunday night to trim Boston's lead to 3-2.

Game 6 will be played Tuesday night. Should the Lakers win, a seventh and deciding game will be Thursday night.

Odom, who had four points and two rebounds in the second half of the disastrous Game 4, had nine points and four rebounds after halftime of this game.

Gasol had 10 points and six rebounds in the second half, and made the go-ahead basket with 4:12 remaining. Odom added a pair of foul shots less than a minute later, but he wasn't finished.

With the Lakers leading 97-95, Bryant poked the ball away from Paul Pierce, Odom got it and fed Bryant for a breakaway dunk that gave Los Angeles a four-point lead with 37.4 seconds left.

On Boston's next possession, Odom rebounded a missed follow shot by Kevin Garnett, and the Lakers were home free.

"They both did a good job on the boards," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said.

After being outrebounded by an average of 3.5 per game previously, the Lakers had a 40-37 advantage on the boards in this game thanks mainly to their two big men.

And both had good shooting nights — Odom went 8-for-10 while Gasol was 6-for-10.

Bryant scored only 10 of his 25 points after the first quarter, putting the onus on his teammates. Gasol and Odom, along with Derek Fisher (15 points) and Jordan Farmar (11 points) were up to the challenge.

Odom's first 3-pointer of the finals and third in 20 playoff games gave the Lakers an 84-72 lead with 11:05 remaining, and it was 88-74 less than 2 minutes later before the Celtics battled back to tie it at 90.

Bryant said following the debacle of Thursday night, when the Lakers blew a 24-point lead before losing 97-91, that he wasn't thinking about beating the Celtics three straight times, as the Lakers must do, but focusing on Game 5 only.

Mission accomplished.

Now, the Lakers have to win twice in Boston, where the Celtics are 12-1 in the postseason. The only thing that matters now is Game 6.

"We're young enough and dumb enough to be able to do this," Jackson said before the game, saying his team's best chance was to "be in the present, don't think about anything else that's going on."

None of the 28 teams who have fallen behind 3-1 in the finals have come back to win the championship.

Lakers center Chris Mihm, limited to 23 games by injuries this season, made his first appearance of the playoffs to begin the second quarter and played 3 minutes. His lone shot was an air ball and he committed two fouls and a turnover. - AP

stonecold316
06-16-2008, 05:08 PM
For Celtics coach, Staple Center games means golf talk with Jack Nicholson
06/16/2008 | 02:00 PM
LOS ANGELES - Rajon Rondo wasn't hurting, but he certainly wasn't helping.

That was the message from Boston coach Doc Rivers, who played his point guard only 14 1/2 minutes Sunday night in the Celtics' 103-98 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 5 of the NBA finals.

"Rondo is just not playing well right now," Rivers said. "We still believe in him. They're doing a nice job to start games with Kobe guarding him and roaming, and the ball is ending up in his hands. And what we're trying to get him to do is just be aggressive to the basket."

Rondo shot 1-of-7 from the field and finished with three points as Rivers went with backups Sam Cassell and Eddie House for a combined 32 minutes.

Rondo hurt his left ankle in Game 3, but hasn't had to miss any games. Apparently the injury wasn't the problem.

"He's fine," Rivers said. "He's a second-year basketball player and I never lose light of that. There's a lot of pressure on him, I'm not going to put more on him. I'm just going to keep coaching him and trusting him, and he got us here. He's gotten us here. But clearly he's not playing as well as he would like to, but we believe in him."

___

KOBE CHANGING SIDES?: A couple of days after claiming support for Boston's baseball rival, Kobe Bryant is now siding with the Red Sox.

Just kidding.

Told that Red Sox slugger David Ortiz was wearing a Bryant jersey on Sunday, the Lakers star responded: "Really? Go Red Sox!"

Asked earlier in the week what he thought about Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling criticizing him in his blog after Game 2 of the series, Bryant pumped his fist and said, "Go Yankees!"

So was this all it took to switch sides in the rivalry?

"I'm obviously joking," Bryant said. "I'm a diehard Yankees fan."

___

TALKING GOLF AT THE FINALS: On U.S. Open Sunday, Doc Rivers figured to hear some talk about golf during Game 5 of the NBA finals.

But it would have nothing to do with Tiger Woods. It would involve a Jack — that's Nicholson, not Nicklaus.

A seat near the end of the visitor's bench at Staples Center means a spot near Nicholson, and Rivers was asked what they talk about.

"Usually he tells me his golf score from that day, and I always question the number that he tells me," Rivers said. "Other than that, that's about all we talk about."

From his usual courtside seat, Nicholson often looks like he's yapping long after just a brief comment like that, but Rivers said he is not involved in any other conversations.

"Well, that's the beginning of games," Rivers said. "Other than that, he's jawing, but it's not to me. He's just yelling out on the floor."

___

WHERE'S THE NOISE?: Local bloggers and sports talk show hosts have made a big deal about the lack of crowd support during the Lakers' late-game slide Thursday night in Game 4, saying it contributed to the shocking loss.

A common belief was that those paying the highest prices weren't very vocal.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson chuckled when asked if the fans let his team down.

"The crowd is not going to make any shots for us, that's for sure, or play defense," he said. "But I do think there's a lot of — you could hear the crowd get tense and worried when you're there. There was a sense at some point at the end of the third quarter that, gee, this is slipping away, and you could hear the crowd.

"That's not unusual for an LA crowd. We know how to play in front of an LA crowd, so that's not something that we need or we feel like we lost support of the crowd."

The Lakers blew a 24-point lead in losing to the Celtics 97-91. It was the biggest recorded collapse in NBA finals history.

___

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY: Bill Walton spent part of his Father's Day on the court at Staples Center giving some last-minute advice to son Luke on playing in the NBA finals.

"I'm the proudest and luckiest dad in the world," the elder Walton said before Luke's Los Angeles Lakers played the Boston Celtics in Game 5. "This is a golden moment for him. There's nothing I would like better than to share the joy of an NBA championship with him. And there's nothing I would like more than to shield him from the disappointment of defeat."

Walton, who has four sons and three NBA titles of his own, had dinner with three of his kids on Saturday night and then went for a bicycle ride on Santa Monica beach with one of them on Sunday morning.

"Now I'm with one of my sons while he competes for an NBA championship," Walton said Sunday night. "What could be better than that?"

___

BUSY BOSTON: The Boston Celtics played their 25th game of these playoffs Sunday night in Game 5 finals, equaling the most by any team in one postseason.

The New York Knicks in 1994 and Detroit Pistons in 2005 also played 25 games, ending with Game 7 losses in the NBA finals. New York fell to Houston, and Detroit was knocked off San Antonio in its bid for a second straight championship.

The Celtics were forced to seven games in the first two rounds before getting by Atlanta and Cleveland. They then beat the Pistons in six games in the Eastern Conference finals, but were well prepared to handle the fatigue

"It's the reason why you work out and you lift and you keep your body in great shape, not just good shape," forward Kevin Garnett said. "It's the reason why the strength coaches are at your neck every day about getting cardio and lifting weights and proper hydration and nutrition. I mean your body goes through a lot. It's, I can't even explain it, but you go through a lot, and half the time it's more mental than physical.

"But it's what it is. When you're trying to achieve something, at least through my experience, it's never been easy, especially when it's something that everybody wants and it's something that you've been chasing for so long." - AP

stonecold316
06-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Ray Allen leaves quickly after game over child's health
06/16/2008 | 01:48 PM
LOS ANGELES - Boston guard Ray Allen left Staples Center quickly after Game 5 of the NBA finals Sunday because of a health concern involving one of his children.

The Celtics didn't give specifics, but released a statement in which coach Doc Rivers asked that, "You please respect Ray's privacy at this time, and we'll keep you up to date as best we can moving forward."

Allen has a daughter, Tierra, and sons Walter Ray Allen III and Walker.

Allen scored 16 points on 4-of-13 shooting in the Celtics' 103-98 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers. His status for Game 6 on Tuesday in Boston is not known. - AP

erichubert
06-16-2008, 06:03 PM
Read somewhere that Ray Allen's daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Wish him and his family all the best, in times like this, basketball takes a back seat. The good thing is diabetes can be controlled if handled properly.

MonL
06-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Lakers had absolutely no choice but to get a win. It's more than just extending the series. Their futures after this season hung in the balance, and they saved it.

Just imagine what a second straight loss on their home court would have done to them?* A second consecutive collapse at that?

It would have been different had they, say, lost a close fight after slugging it out in a digging-in-the-trenches battle where there are furious ties and lead exchanges the whole game,* and the breaks determined the outcome.* It would have been painful, but still palatable. They can say that they truly gave it their all, and people will accept that.

But they led by 19 points, lost it, built it up again to 14, then lost it again, and until the last minute, were still in peril.

They who were heavily favored to win the series.

In an extreme scenario, had they lost, that meltdown would have been so distasteful and would have caused such an enormous fallout that collateral damage would have been extensive within the Laker organization. Many people would have been sent packing and shipped out of town.

Celts also must be blamed for falling into that 19 and 14 point hole. Again, deferring to teammates and poor decision making did them in. KG's two missed freethrows were critical in determining the outcome of the game.

To the Celtics' credit, they were two men down yet they stayed with LA till the end. The impact of Perk's absence showed with the foul troubles of KG who was forced to shadow Gasol. Odom and Gasol also got away inside the paint as interior D got porous. Rondo was invisible. But the other reserves stepped up, particularly Tony Allen during the first rally, and Sam Cassell in the second.Their defense caused them to come back, when they could have just folded up and surrendered after that first big lead by LA. But they kept coming back at LA.

If this is the best that LA can do in their homecourt, with all the crowd's energy sustaining them, then their situation will be dire in Boston Garden.

But LA still wins, even if they lose on the road. Their defeat will simply be ordinary instead of catastrophic and historical.

Any win short of murder by the Celtics will be a credit to LA.

nastrans
06-16-2008, 10:40 PM
The Celtics can't afford to let themselves trail early in the game, nagiging trend siya e. They were fortunate to come back from large deficits but in the end, mapapagod ka rin. Hopefully with the environment at home, they could change the direction of the play and start strong, finish strong, and win the title.

Mateen Cleaves
06-17-2008, 06:22 AM
Lakers had absolutely no choice but to get a win. It's more than just extending the series. Their futures after this season hung in the balance, and they saved it.

Just imagine what a second straight loss on their home court would have done to them? A second consecutive collapse at that?

It would have been different had they, say, lost a close fight after slugging it out in a digging-in-the-trenches battle where there are furious ties and lead exchanges the whole game, and the breaks determined the outcome. It would have been painful, but still palatable. They can say that they truly gave it their all, and people will accept that.

But they led by 19 points, lost it, built it up again to 14, then lost it again, and until the last minute, were still in peril.

It's become obvious that that shouldn't have been the case to begin with. Media, in particular, clearly overrated Gasol's impact as well as the youth and "energy" of the Lakers bench. Conversely, they underrated the Celtics' own young guns (i.e. Leon Powe) and too easily dismissed the veteran smarts of PJ Brown, Posey, and even Cassell.

Another factor that the "experts" failed to consider was that Ray Allen and Paul Pierce still had room to raise their games another notch. Perhaps they assumed that players as well-paid as the Celtics' Big Three wouldn't have the hunger needed to win a championship. Kobe is very, very good. But Allen and Pierce combined, playing with the urgency they've shown so far, are more than a match for even the Black Mamba.

Finally, there's the issue of LA's alleged advantage with Phil Jackson over Doc Rivers... 'Nuff sed. :)

Dark Knight
06-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Lets put it this way.

Can the Lakers defeat the Celtics 3 games in a row. Your guess ia as good as mine. :D

Besides, its sweeter to win in front of your fans.

stonecold316
06-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Celtics back in Boston with 2 chances at NBA title
06/17/2008 | 10:53 AM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us The Boston Celtics are home, not home free. Unable to put the finishing touches on the Los Angeles Lakers and wrap up their first championship since 1986, the NBA's best team since November flew back across three time zones Monday for a Game 6 they were hoping they wouldn't have to play.

But injuries, another big first-half deficit and a sub-par performance by center Kevin Garnett cost the banged-up Celtics, who lost 103-98 on Sunday in Game 5 at Los Angeles and left Staples Center kicking themselves at the missed opportunity.

"Not what we wanted," coach Doc Rivers said of the team's stay in Southern California. "We wanted two more (wins). Obviously, the blanket was that we get to go home, but we really believed that we could win one of these games. We won one and we'll take it, but that's obviously not what we want."

The Larry O'Brien Trophy, given each year to the league's top team, was nearly Boston's. At one point, it appeared to be on its way to the floor for an awards ceremony now on hold. Instead of being hoisted by the Celtics, it was hauled off to LAX and loaded into a jet's cargo hold for the six-hour flight to New England.

Despite the loss, the tradition-drenched Celtics feel good about their chances of winning a 17th title — on the 17th.

"We're one up, with two games to go at home," said Paul Pierce, who scored 38 in Game 5. "It still feels like we have the advantage, and I do feel like we're the better team."

So the 11th installment of Celtics vs. Lakers, the league's signature rivalry and one of the best in pro sports, has at least one more 48-minute episode.

After a 21-year gap between finals meetings, these teams aren't quite ready to part company.

Why would they?

Now five games old, this series has had plenty of drama (Pierce's return from a Game 1 knee injury), history (Boston's finals record 24-point comeback in Game 4), surprises (Leon Powe's emergence as a Game 2 star) and even a little scandal as former referee Tim Donaghy's allegations of fixed playoff games has hung over the finals like a layer of L.A. smog.

The Lakers are trying to become the first team in finals history to overcome a 3-1 deficit to win a title, and they're one step closer. If they can win Game 6 on Tuesday night in TD Banknorth Garden, they'll force a decisive Game 7 to cap a season as trying as any in commissioner David Stern's career.

Kobe Bryant and his teammates staved off elimination Sunday by getting more physical with the Celtics, who Tuesday night will play their 26th game of this postseason — a record — and could be wearing down physically.

Los Angeles center Pau Gasol shed his "soft" label for a night and scored 19 points with 13 rebounds, banging his way inside against Garnett, the league's best defender who couldn't push back at the Spaniard while hampered with fouls.

"Pau was terrific," said Bryant, who set the tone early with 15 first-half points and finished with 25 on 8-of-21 shooting. "He was aggressive. At both ends of the floor he did a great job."

Garnett was disgusted by his game and Boston's big man vowed to make amends when the Celtics get back inside their rowdy house on Causeway Street, where Boston's fans arrive early, party late and treat visitors with little regard.

Lakers, you've been warned.

"It's going to be like coming into the Amazon, into the jungle," he said. "I look forward to coming home and playing."

Following the teams' first across-the-U.S.A. trek of the series, Game 3 was one of the sloppiest finals games in recent memory as the Lakers and Celtics battled jet lag and season-ending fatigue.

With just one day off in the highly debated 2-3-2 format, Boston coach Doc Rivers expects Game 6 to be a struggle.

"It's a terrible turnaround," he said. "It's as tough as you can have. I think going West to East is tougher. Sleep patterns are messed up. It's a tough one. There's no way around it. But both teams have the same issue, so it could come down to a game of mental toughness, who fights the fatigue mentally better than the other group."

The group wearing green has other issues.

Celtics center Kendrick Perkins missed Game 5 with a shoulder injury and is not expected to be ready for Game 6. Beyond that, Pierce isn't at his best, Rajon Rondo is slowed by a tender ankle and Ray Allen left Los Angeles immediately following Sunday's game because of a "health issue" with one of his three children.

But Boston is comforted by being at home, where they are 12-1 in the postseason, where the parquet-patterned floor soothes any nerves and where the 16 championship banners hanging overhead link the Celtics to their past and remind them of their goal.

"That," Rivers said, "'is not a bad place to be." - AP

coreytaylor
06-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Signs good for Allen to play for Celtics in Game 6
By HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news

BOSTON (AP)—The Celtics expect Ray Allen to play when they try for a second time to win the NBA championship.

Kendrick Perkins? Now that’s a different story.

Allen rushed from Staples Center after the Los Angeles Lakers’ 103-98 win Sunday night that forced a sixth game Tuesday night in Boston. The reason: his son was hospitalized in the Los Angeles area after feeling ill.

Perkins watched Game 5 from the bench with a shoulder injury. His availability for Game 6 will be a game-time decision.

Allen’s toddler son, Walker, underwent medical tests Sunday and Monday, and Allen was still at the hospital when the rest of the Celtics arrived in Boston at about 10:30 p.m. EDT Monday, team spokesman Jeff Twiss told The Associated Press.

Allen relayed that information to Twiss by phone once the plane landed because the player had heard reports that his daughter, Tierra, was the child who had what the Celtics described as “a health issue,” Twiss said. Allen planned to take an overnight flight so he could play Tuesday night, according to Twiss.

Allen also has a son older than Walker.

Earlier, as the Celtics waited at LA International Airport for their delayed flight, Twiss said “I don’t believe” Allen will miss the game that could bring him his first NBA title in a 12-year career as a deadeye shooter and give the Celtics their first championship in 22 years.

The flight was delayed by mechanical problems and another plane was brought in for the trip.

Allen has two sons and a daughter. Some of the players’ family members made the journey to Los Angeles for Games 3, 4 and 5.

After Sunday night’s game, the Celtics gave no details, only issuing a statement from coach Doc Rivers that “Ray Allen was forced to leave Staples Center at the conclusion of tonight’s game due to a health issue with one of his children.”

Allen has been a solid contributor in the NBA Finals—second on the Celtics with 19.2 points and 5.2 rebounds per game—after struggling with his shooting in earlier rounds.

Perkins’ presence also has been very important—as shown by his absence in the game that cut Boston’s lead in the series to 3-2.

The Celtics’ 280-pound center was wearing street clothes when Lakers guard Jordan Farmar ventured into the key and sank two fourth-quarter layups Sunday night. Perkins could only watch from the bench while Pau Gasol yanked down 13 rebounds.

His strained left shoulder kept him from clogging the middle and convincing opponents they might be better off to stay away.

“It probably hurt us, obviously,” Rivers said. “Whenever you lose, the guy that was hurt or the guy that didn’t play becomes very valuable.”

Perkins status isn’t the only question mark for a team with concerns at other starting spots.

Kevin Garnett said he “played like garbage” in Game 5. Allen’s state of mind—and his possible jet lag—may be issues. Rajon Rondo “is just not playing well” even though the ankle he hurt in the series is fine, Rivers said. And Paul Pierce sprained his knee in the series opener.

Still, Pierce has played brilliantly on offense and defense and should continue that when he’s back before the ear-splitting cheers of a full house of home fans. Unfortunately for the Celtics, Perkins may be just one of them.

“Perk is a physical guy,” Garnett said. “He plays the post better than anybody in this league. That’s what he does. When you lose a key guy, you’re losing something.”

Until this season, his fifth in the NBA, the 23-year-old Perkins was one of several developing youngsters on a struggling team. Then the Celtics traded most of those youngsters before this season for Garnett and Allen. That solidified Perkins’ role—the bruiser to go along with All-Stars Garnett, Allen, Pierce and speedy point guard Rondo.

Pierce, Garnett and Allen are The Big Three. Perkins is The Biggest One, at least in terms of space taken up.

“We’re used to playing with numerous (different) guys on the court,” Pierce said. “We do it all the time in practice with our lineups, so I don’t think that’s something that’s surprising to me. But, at the same time, we have Kendrick Perkins hurt, so that kind of changes things on the rotation side.”

Without Perkins, Garnett guarded Gasol and ran into foul trouble. Lamar Odom had an outstanding game—20 points, 11 rebounds and four blocks—without being hounded by Garnett most of the times he touched the ball.

The Celtics started Leon Powe in place of Perkins, who is 40 pounds heavier and at least two inches taller. Powe played the first 4:59, was replaced by P.J. Brown with Boston trailing 14-5 and never returned.

“We have to start Leon, and P.J. Brown is getting a lot of minutes,” Pierce said. “Rajon is suffering from a sprained ankle. So Doc is doing the best he can with the ailments we have on this team.”

Rivers could beef up his defense by using 289-pound rookie forward Glen Davis, who hasn’t played in the series.

“It hurt not having Perkins out there and with Kevin suffering from foul trouble,” Pierce said. “They took advantage of that with Pau and Lamar, so definitely they were aggressive. … But I know we’ll bounce back. Hopefully, we can get Perkins back. If we can keep Kevin out of foul trouble, I think we’ll be fine.”

dark_seid
06-17-2008, 09:58 PM

Just imagine what a second straight loss on their home court would have done to them? A second consecutive collapse at that?

It would have been different had they, say, lost a close fight after slugging it out in a digging-in-the-trenches battle where there are furious ties and lead exchanges the whole game, and the breaks determined the outcome. It would have been painful, but still palatable. They can say that they truly gave it their all, and people will accept that.

It's become obvious that that shouldn't have been the case to begin with. Media, in particular, clearly overrated Gasol's impact as well as the youth and "energy" of the Lakers bench. Conversely, they underrated the Celtics' own young guns (i.e. Leon Powe) and too easily dismissed the veteran smarts of PJ Brown, Posey, and even Cassell.

Another factor that the "experts" failed to consider was that Ray Allen and Paul Pierce still had room to raise their games another notch. Perhaps they assumed that players as well-paid as the Celtics' Big Three wouldn't have the hunger needed to win a championship. Kobe is very, very good. But Allen and Pierce combined, playing with the urgency they've shown so far, are more than a match for even the Black Mamba.

Finally, there's the issue of LA's alleged advantage with Phil Jackson over Doc Rivers... 'Nuff sed. :)

but aside from games 5 and 6 of series versus the pistons, boston really looked like impostors to the team that won 66 games in the regular season. the mighty struggles on the road didn't help. ray ray looked bad with his shooting. the lakers meanwhile dispatched of the spurs and made them look old and slow (the scheduling didn't help). pop couldn't get one up on pjax. duncan was putting in monster numbers but they still couldn't win. that's why the western champs were favored over the eastern champs.

The_Big_Cat
06-18-2008, 08:53 AM
The Boston Celtics will play today(game 6) their 26th game in the post-season. Most all-time by any team in one post-season.

cub
06-18-2008, 11:34 AM
17th championship on the 17th day of June (US time). Ray Allen made an NBA record with the most number of 3s in an NBA finals series.

and the trend continues. after a Spurs championship, an East team will win it all.

03=Spurs
04=Pistons
05=Spurs
06=Heat
07=Spurs
08=Celtics

bchoter
06-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Ladies and gentlemen the world champions...

erichubert
06-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Another disappointing performance for LA, reminiscent of their Game 7 against Phoenix 2 years ago, they just plain gave up. But credit to Boston, they were just on fire, and their defense was just awesome. Garnett came up big with Rondo. I think the difference between both teams is just obvious, Boston was tougher, older, wiser and more mature, while Kobe couldn't lead the young immature Lakers in this series.

bchoter
06-18-2008, 12:02 PM
^ It's like the blind leaing the blind :D

salsa caballero
06-18-2008, 12:03 PM
...seems that most of us were right. Celtics in siiiix!!! Yeah baby!!!

(Btw, that win officially fills the green and white quota for basketball champioships for the year 2008 ;) )

bchoter
06-18-2008, 12:13 PM
^ Somewhat eases the pain of New England failing to won the NFL.

pablohoney
06-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Boston at 6!
Yeeboy!

Felt bad Sam Cassel wasn't fielded in at all.
And the fact that Ray Allen could have eclipsed the 7 3's of Big Shot Bob.... :(

But hey, I'm not about to complain..
Champs!

Yeeboy! ;D

The_Big_Cat
06-18-2008, 12:43 PM
1957, 1959
1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968,1969
1981, 1984, 1986

The Boston Celtics played their 26th game of the post-season. Most all-time by any team in a post-season.
Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen each scored 26 points.

Paul Pierce is the 2008 NBA Finals MVP, He averaged 22 ppg and Boston won their first championship in 22 years.

pablohoney
06-18-2008, 12:56 PM
1957, 1959
1981, 1984, 1986

The Boston Celtics played their 26th game of the post-season. Most all-time by any team in a post-season.

Paul Pierce is the 2008 NBA Finals MVP, He averaged 22 ppg and Boston won their first championship in 22 years.

Add the fact that they played on June 17th (US), for their 17th NBA Title.
Another fable added to the already tradition-rich Celtics. ;D

The_Big_Cat
06-18-2008, 01:01 PM
The 2008 Boston Celtics were first NBA team to win an NBA championship after loosing 10 games in this post-season.

Imagine, 10 losses and still they won the championship. Overall they are 16-10 this post-season.

MonL
06-18-2008, 01:02 PM
If this is the best that LA can do in their homecourt, with all the crowd's energy sustaining them, then their situation will be dire in Boston Garden.

But LA still wins, even if they lose on the road. Their defeat will simply be ordinary instead of catastrophic and historical.

Any win short of murder by the Celtics will be a credit to LA.

I hope you'll forgive me if I quote myself on this. ;D

A 20 point win would have counted as murder.

It was worse.

Mark Jackson of the broadcast team couldn't put it any better: utter destruction.

When the home team gets more steals in the first half than the visitors have field goals, trouble is a brewin'.

LA gave up the ghost as early as halftime.

Celtics were unforgiving on defense and cold-blooded on offense. They defended without letup.
Rondo made up bigtime by scoring 20+ points and making seven steals.
Ray Allen showed why Knick Hall of Famer Walt Frazier called him "The Baby-Faced Assassin."
KG finally displayed dominance inside the paint.
Finals MVP Paul Pierce deserved the accolade. He kept up the relentless Celts *offense and defense and played point forward once more.

Kobe just wasnt given the chance to dominate once the stifling defense was turned on. Unfortunately he had no help from his teammates who practically withered in the face of the merciless onslaught. *

And so...

The Boston Celtics are once again The WOOOOOORLD Champions!!!

Hoist high Banner Number 17!!!! *

MonL
06-18-2008, 01:14 PM
1957, 1959
1981, 1984, 1986

Add the fact that they played on June 17th (US), for their 17th NBA Title.
Another fable added to the already tradition-rich Celtics. ;D

And the Celtics all-time leading scorer, John "Hondo" Havlicek was there. He who wore jersey # 17.

And also Bill Russell, who wore Jersey #6.
KG came up to him, hugged his mentor and cried "I got my own!!!", referring to a championship ring. :)

Title 17 won in Game 6 at home. In the company of winners.

Sweet.

pablohoney
06-18-2008, 01:16 PM
I thought Boston's win was the most lopsided in NBA Finals history. >:(
It was only the second, behind 1998's Chicago's 96-54 win over Utah.

Read it here: http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2008061702:

This is also sweet: ;D

As soon as the clock stopped, it was Gino time: The scoreboard showed the disco-era American Bandstand clip that the Celtics have been using to celebrate victories all season. A shaggy man in a “Gino” T-shirt danced on the scoreboard, and Pierce stood up on the bench to frolic.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AgKlPnTwL8.NrUo7WRT7tN6LvLYF?slug=ap-nbafinals-celtics&prov=ap&type=lgns

MonL
06-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Those of you who watched the Finals on CS1/Channel 9, what time will be the replay?

A good friend here in gameface is asking as his cable service does not have BTv. Por favor, compadres. :)

bigfreeze_bibby
06-18-2008, 01:35 PM
I am not sure if there will be a replay on CS/RPN of the finals game. Lahat ng replays are shown on BTV. Meron mamayang 3pm and later tonight at 9:30pm.

It was a Boston massacre at the Garden. Congratulations to the men of green and white!

nastrans
06-18-2008, 01:44 PM
This was like Memorial Day Massacre II, an huge demolition job by the Celtics, it's nice to see Pierce, KG, and Ray winning their first championship.

And how about Rondo, many of us thought he will be abused by Fisher in their point guard matchup but it was the other way around, he made an all-around effort in the series.

Congratulations to the Boston Celtics, who are once again the World Champions.

The_Big_Cat
06-18-2008, 01:50 PM
This was like Memorial Day Massacre II, an huge demolition job by the Celtics, it's nice to see Pierce, KG, and Ray winning their first championship.

And how about Rondo, many of us thought he will be abused by Fisher in their point guard matchup but it was the other way around, he made an all-around effort in the series.

Congratulations to the Boston Celtics, who are once again the World Champions.

Derek is getting older and has lost a step or two. I think this is the first position that has to be addressed by the Lakers in the off-season. Upcoming guards like Chris Paul, Deron Williams & Brandon Roy plus the experienced Tony Parker & Steve Nash will have their way on Fisher.

Raging Blue
06-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Breaking News:

Post-production has been completed in Boston for the final installment of the quadrilogy "Kill Phil Volume 4 - The Curse of the Shamrock". The finale features an un-Hollywood ending which includes a heart-rendering rendition of the song "Cry Me a River" by Paula Abdul while the final credits are being rolled in the jumbo screen.

Celtics management, players, coaches and fans all over the world (including yours truly), will savor the sweetness of "Sentimental Seventeen"!

erichubert
06-18-2008, 01:54 PM
You could just see that Boston wanted it more, as much as Kobe wanted to win a championship, Boston's big three wanted it more. KG's interview after winning the championship said it all, his show of emotion was heart-warming and so sincere. Overall, across the board, from the coach to the bench, Boston outplayed LA and they deserved to win.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-18-2008, 02:03 PM
You could just see that Boston wanted it more, as much as Kobe wanted to win a championship, Boston's big three wanted it more. KG's interview after winning the championship said it all, his show of emotion was heart-warming and so sincere. Overall, across the board, from the coach to the bench, Boston outplayed LA and they deserved to win.

Naiiyak ako actually while watching KG's post game interview kanina. Kitang kita yung pananabik in winning a title from a player who really works his butt night-in and night-out throughout his playing career. It was nice to see Boston legends supporting the team as well kanina. JoJo White, John Havlicek, and Bill Russell were there.

Sakto ang resurrection ni Rondo. I thought he was done in the series but then he came out smoking, first quarter pa lang providing hustle on the defensive end and showed more poise throughout the game, even surpassing the poise and composure of the whole Laker team.

erichubert
06-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Let's not forget James Posey and Eddie House. I am predicting that Posey would become a valuable player in the future ala Robert Horry. He is clutch, experienced and a winner. If I am Boston, I will re-sign him in an instant.

bchoter
06-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Kobe's teamates suck! He should demand another trade.

LION
06-18-2008, 02:35 PM
^Go to Boston and form the Big 4. ;D

erichubert
06-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Obviously the rest of the Lakers need to share the blame too, none really showed up consistently, well they are still young so some have hope like Sasha (although I don't know if he would ever get his mojo back after what Allen did to him), Farmar, Turiaf and maybe Ariza. As for the others like Vlad and Luke, I would rather not comment.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Let's not forget James Posey and Eddie House. I am predicting that Posey would become a valuable player in the future ala Robert Horry. He is clutch, experienced and a winner. If I am Boston, I will re-sign him in an instant.

If you can see how Posey defended Kobe kanina, Posey just showed his tip-top level defense on the league MVP. Posey used his reach, body and defensive basics such as not biting into any fakes to derail any effort from Kobe and reducing the MVP to putting shots that is not on his comfort zone. He also knocked shots as well in that 2nd quarter flurry.

Tingin ko mawawala lang dyan is Brown and Cassell. I am not even sure if they'll use some help in the draft.

^Go to Boston and form the Big 4. ;D

Feeling ko yan dialogue kanina nina KG and Pierce when Kobe came to them after the buzzer sounded hehehe. :D

bchoter
06-18-2008, 02:48 PM
^^ What? And have him mentioned in the same breath as Ray Allen?

LION
06-18-2008, 02:50 PM
^He'll like it in Boston. There will be no Celtics defense to deny him again. ;D

john_paul_manahan
06-18-2008, 02:52 PM
dont forget what a heatlhy andrew b can do.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-18-2008, 03:09 PM
dont forget what a heatlhy andrew b can do.

Even if a healthy Andrew Bynum was there to help the Lakers, I don't think they stand a chance pa rin for the Celtics. Either Garnett, Perk, Brown, and Powe can handle him because these guys know how to defend. Mas polished ang low post moves ni Gasol as compared to Bynum.

Bynum is good as a drop pass client and knows how to finish pag nakatanggap ng magandang pasa sa ilalim. But I am comfortable that the C's can handle him pag nakatanggap siya ng bola sa low block. I'll just allow him to dribble towards his way to the basket.

john_paul_manahan
06-18-2008, 03:11 PM
let's not dwell on the what-could-have-beens and celebrate the boston victory. it was pretty much a clinical execution out there.

then again, jesus was out on the court shooting jumpers.

bigfreeze_bibby
06-18-2008, 03:24 PM
I was just trying to kill the what-could-have-beens that might be raised later on hehehe. Anyway, Boston should prepare as no one has ever repeated as champions since 2003. Celebrate tonight and then get back to work tomorrow hehe.

Raging Blue
06-18-2008, 03:38 PM
For me , the MVP of game 6 is Rajon Rondo. His disruptive defense on the Lakers led to turnovers that Garnett, Pierce, Allen, et al, converted on the way to erecting that surmountable lead. Never mind if Rajon missed a lot of easy shots. The damage had been done by then.

Honorable mention to James Posey on his outstanding defense on Kobe, a major reason on why the latter converted only 7 out of 22 field goals.

Celtix in six. That was really my forecast. Yung Celtics in five pa-drama lang in my Kill Phil posts.

Happy 17th Celtics!

The_Big_Cat
06-18-2008, 03:44 PM
If only Paul Pierce is healthy enough to play for USA Basketball in the summer olympics. It would be a double whammy for him. I think Pierce deserves another shot at USA Basketball as he was part of the 2002 team, the first all-NBA team to loose in an international tournament (2002 World Championships).

Notable players to win an NBA title & Olympic Gold in the same year:

1. Michael Jordan & Scottie Pippen ('92 NBA Champs & '92 Barcelona Gold Medalist)
2. Scottie Pippen ('96 NBA Champs & '96 Atlanta Gold Medalist)

coreytaylor
06-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Allen, Perkins start clinching Game 6 of NBA finals
By HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer

BOSTON (AP)—Ray Allen played the last two games of the NBA finals knowing his son had diabetes. The Celtics shooting star even had to take an overnight flight from Los Angeles after spending time with him at a hospital.

On Tuesday night, Walker Allen became the son of a champion.

His father scored 26 points and Boston beat the Los Angeles Lakers 131-92 to win Game 6 and claim its 17th NBA title and first in 22 years.

“It’s such a wonderful feeling to be able to do this on this night with all the stuff that has taken place over the weekend,” said Allen, who first thought his son had a virus, “and to be able to share this with the fans in Boston has been great.”

Allen rushed to the hospital after Sunday night’s 103-98 Game 5 loss in Los Angeles.

“Found out he was diagnosed with diabetes and just had to play the game that Sunday, and then wonder whether he was OK,” Allen said. “He wasn’t doing well that day, so I got to his hospital bed after the game on Sunday and he started coming alive and everything was great.

“I just knew that that’s where I needed to be.”

Then they boarded a red-eye flight for the cross country journey.

“We got in this morning and we took him to the hospital, and he was lively, so I was relieved to see that he was moving around,” Allen said. “Just sitting in the hospital this morning, I hadn’t slept really, and just now thinking how I’m going to sleep, get rest and how my body is going to respond to getting out here tonight.”

It responded quite well. He even came back from a poke in the eye that forced him to miss much of the first half.

He had a scratch above his nose after getting raked in the face by Lamar Odom while making a layup with 4:30 left in the first quarter.

He went to the locker room with 4:20 left in the period and did not return for the start of the second. He ran out to the bench with 6:05 left in the half and went back into the game with 4:44 to go and Boston leading 43-31.

Coach Doc Rivers went to Allen when he returned to the bench, rubbed him on the head and said something that made him smile. Allen sat on the bench and appeared to be blinking before going back in the game.

The Celtics started their usual five despite Allen’s delayed return and the shoulder injury that kept center Kendrick Perkins out of Game 5.

Perkins was the last Celtics starter to leave the locker room before Game 6. He finished with 2 points and 4 rebounds in 13 1/2 minutes.

Allen’s averages of 20.3 points and 5.0 rebounds were second on the team. The other starters were Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo.

Rivers said he talked briefly before the game with Allen, who skipped Tuesday morning’s shootaround.

“I said, `How you doing?’ I didn’t even ask him about basketball, honestly,” Rivers said. “I just asked him how he was doing. He said he’s fine. That’s all I needed to know.

“Ray is doing good. I mean, he’s going to be fine,” Rivers said. “Obviously, he’s not had a lot of sleep over the last three days, probably. … We were thinking about it before this morning, just how much he’s probably had. It can’t be much. But he’s ready. You can see it, he’s ready to play.”

coreytaylor
06-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Not enough Kobe, not enough help for Lakers
By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer

BOSTON (AP)—The best player was no match for the best team.

Even Kobe Bryant couldn’t solve Boston’s suffocating defense in the NBA finals, which ended Tuesday night when the Celtics crushed the Los Angeles Lakers 131-92 in Game 6.

“I’ve seen some pretty stiff ones and this was right up there with them,” Bryant said of the Celtics’ defense. “They definitely were the best defense I’ve seen in the entire playoffs.”

Bryant knew all along the Celtics were going to force someone besides him to beat them, and there was nobody else in purple and gold up for the job.

Bryant finished with 22 points, but shot only 7-of-22 from the field and was quiet after a sizzling start for the second straight game.

The Lakers needed an MVP performance from Bryant. Bryant needed help.

Neither got what they wanted—and they’re not getting another championship ring this season, either.

“Kobe started off that game with a hot hand and then I think his legs, you could see his shot was flat,” Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. “He didn’t get his shot going and it really changed the course of the game. He started out so strong and then I think he only made three field goals the rest of the game, so that really was a change.

“I think one of the things they did is they really focused on him and made sure that he wasn’t going to be the guy that hurt them, and we didn’t have guys step up in this instance tonight.”

Bryant averaged 31.9 points through the first three rounds, tops among all players in the postseason. But the Celtics limited him to 25.7 per game and 40 percent shooting, rotating a number of defenders on him and making sure there was always help behind if Bryant did try to get to the basket.

And there was no one else to pick up the slack. Lamar Odom didn’t have a field goal until the fourth quarter, when the Lakers were already down by 29 points. Pau Gasol took only seven shots and finished with 11 points—and he was their second-leading scorer until deep in the fourth quarter, when Odom went to work against the reserves who played the last few minutes while Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen were busy celebrating on the sideline.

With the Lakers’ season on the line and no other choice, Jackson left Bryant on the floor for the entire second quarter, instead of his usual break early in the period. Maybe the rest would have been a better idea.

Bryant missed all four shots and committed two turnovers in the period, when the game was decided after Boston outscored Los Angeles 34-15. And when he desperately needed his teammates to pick him up, the rest of the Lakers combined for only three field goals in the period, and the Celtics had a commanding 58-35 lead by the time it was over.

“They broke the game when they got ahead by 23 points at halftime and we didn’t respond to it,” Gasol said.

When Bryant tried to carry them back in the third quarter, the Celtics were ready for him. Rajon Rondo picked him clean and Bryant had to race back as the Lakers tried to catch and foul the point guard, with Bryant tumbling on top of Rondo just a few feet from Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

Even Belichick, one of the top defensive minds in his sport, couldn’t have cooked up a scheme as good as the Celtics’.
This August 2007 photo released by Aid Still Required.org, shows the Los Angeles Lakers' Ira Newble with women at a refugee camp in Chad, near the Darfur border. Newble, a seldom-used reserve on a Lakers team playing in the NBA basketball finals against the Boston Celtics, has become one of the most outspoken athletes in drawing attention to Darfur.

Later, a pretty spin move got Bryant close to the basket, but P.J. Brown swatted his shot off the backboard to start a fast break the other way.

Bryant was having his way early, scoring 11 points in the first quarter. By then it was already clear that a big night from the league’s MVP would be their only chance: At one point in the first half, when it was still a game, Bryant had 12 points. The rest of the Lakers had combined for 12.

It was the kind of inept performance from the supporting cast that Bryant saw too often last season, leading him to rip team management last summer for not getting him enough help, then declare he wanted to be traded.

The Lakers refused to part with their superstar, then got off to a strong start when it turned out the teammates that Bryant thought so little of weren’t all that bad.

Just not nearly good enough to help him beat the Celtics.

“We have to get some players if we’re going to come back and repeat, to have that kind of aggressiveness that we need,” Jackson said.

coreytaylor
06-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Big 3 leads Boston to big win and a 17th NBA title
By JIMMY GOLEN, AP Sports Writer

BOSTON (AP)—It’s the reason Paul Pierce stuck around when the losses mounted and the solution was far from clear. The reason Ray Allen was acquired as a draft-day consolation prize. And the reason Kevin Garnett agreed to leave the only pro team he’d ever known.

The Big Three has won the Big One.

The Boston Celtics rode their three All-Stars to their 17th championship on Tuesday night, blowing by the Los Angeles Lakers with a stunning show of second-quarter scoring to win 131-92 in Game 6 of the NBA finals.

Pierce, the finals MVP, had 17 points and 10 assists in the clincher, Garnett had 26 points with 14 rebounds, and Allen returned from a red-eye from the coast and a poked eye in the lane to add 26 points, including an NBA finals record-tying seven 3-pointers.

It was the first NBA title for each of them, and the first for the league’s most-decorated franchise since the original Big Three of Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish won No. 16 in 1986. Danny Ainge was the point guard for that team and the general manager for the one that won 24 games last year and 66 this season—the biggest turnaround in NBA history.

“Where we came from a year ago, where I was at, to be here today celebrating with my teammates, putting a stamp on what a great year it was,” Pierce told the jubilant fans after accepting the MVP trophy. “Everybody stuck with me throughout all the hard times. I know we didn’t have a lot of great years, but you guys stuck with me, and now we bring home a championship to you.”

The Celtics joined the 1975 Golden State Warriors and the ‘77 Trail Blazers as the only teams to win it all a year after missing the playoffs.

And it’s not hard to see how they did it.

Last year’s team featured Pierce and a passel of young players who showed promise individually but little sign of snapping the longest championship drought in franchise history. After their legendary luck deserted them in the lottery, leaving them with a worst-case fifth pick in a two-star draft, Ainge wheeled the first-rounder for Allen.

That was enough to convince Garnett to accept a trade and sign an extension, allowing Ainge to cobble together an unprecedented 7-for-1 deal for the final piece in the new Big Three.

“We sacrificed so much of what we did throughout our careers to get to this point because we’ve done everything we’ve been able to do individually, won all type of awards, but never made it to the mountaintop,” Pierce said. “It’s like a breath of fresh air.”

With the best record in the NBA during the regular season, the Celtics earned home court for the playoffs—and they needed it. They won all four games at home in the first two rounds to reach the Eastern Conference finals, then dispatched Detroit in six games.

“It seems like everything has worked out all year,” Allen said. “We respect each other, and we’re here sitting on championship 17.”

But not without a few bumps for the Big Three in the finals.

Pierce was carried off by his teammates after what turned out to be an inconsequential knee injury in Game 1. Despite a six-point, 2-for-14 stinker in his Game 3 return to his home town, he averaged 22 points, six assists and 4.5 rebounds in the finals to earn the Celtics’ first finals MVP award since Larry Bird.

“It means everything,” Pierce said. “I’m not living under the shadows of the other greats now. I’m able to make my own history with my time here, and this is something that I wanted to do. If I was going to be one of the best Celtics to ever play, I had to put up a banner, and today we did that.”
Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers smiles during practice in El Segundo, Calif., Saturday, June 14, 2008. The Celtics face the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday in Game 5 of the NBA basketball finals.

Allen’s shooting deserted him for long stretches, and before Game 5 in Los Angeles he learned that his son had been diagnosed with diabetes. He rushed to the hospital after the game, stayed with his son on Monday and flew all night to get back to Boston.

Then, in the first half, he was raked across the left eye and went to the locker room.

It didn’t stop him from going 7-of-9 from 3-point range, giving him a record 22 3-pointers in the NBA finals.

“I was wondering what happened to Ray,” Pierce said. “When Ray got back out there, I think it kind of fueled us. We pushed the lead up to over 20 when he came back, and it was just like, `Hey, it’s about to be lights out.”’

For Garnett, the title was the one thing missing from a potential Hall of Fame career, and the finale gave him a sense of redemption after a Game 5 performance—13 points and 14 rebounds, but some key missed free throws down the stretch—that he called “garbage.”

On Tuesday, he went from garbage and helped turn it into garbage time.
Boston Celtics' Kendrick Perkins is interviewed before basketball practice in El Segundo, Calif., Saturday, June 14, 2008. The Celtics face the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 5 of the NBA Finals Sunday.

All three stars came out—together—with 4:01 left in the game, and Pierce went immediately to give coach Doc Rivers an emotional embrace.

“They came in as a group, and I thought we should take them out as a group,” Rivers said. “They all said ‘Thank you,’ and I said ‘Thank you’ back. Paul … it’s just so sweet. He just kept saying ‘Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for sticking with me, again,’ and I kept saying the same thing to him. So it was really a nice moment.”

While the Celtics reserves—a big advantage for Boston in the series— continued to build on the lead, the starters yukked it up on the bench just as they did through frequent blowouts during the season.

“We had bumps along the road. There was frustration,” Allen said. “But we always came back to each other as a team, and to finally win this and to prove we’re the best team in the NBA this year, everything we went through was definitely worth it. We know exactly what it takes to be the best.”

At the next timeout, it was Gino time: The scoreboard showed the disco-era American Bandstand clip that the Celtics have been using to celebrate victories all season. A shaggy man in a “Gino” T-shirt danced on the scoreboard, and Pierce stood up on the bench to frolic.

“We said, ‘This is the reason we came here. This is the reason we got together,”’ Garnett told reporters, after he had a chance to brush the green and white confetti from his bald head, cradle the trophy and bathe in champagne. “This is the reason right here.”

coreytaylor
06-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Celtics wins 17th NBA title with 131-92 rout of Lakers
By TOM WITHERS, AP Sports Writer
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba

BOSTON (AP)—With Russell and Havlicek sitting courtside, and Red surely lighting up a victory cigar somewhere, these Boston Celtics returned to glory like the great teams before them.

Dominant in every way.

On a new parquet floor below aging championship banners hung in the rafters two decades back, the Celtics won their 17th NBA title and a first one—at last — for Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen—their Big Three for a new generation.

After 22 long years, the NBA has gone green.

Lifted by ear-splitting chants of “Beat L.A.” early and cries of “Seven-teen” in the closing seconds by their adoring crowd, the Celtics concluded a shocking rebound of a season with a stunning 131-92 blowout over the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 6 on Tuesday night.

“It means so much more because these are the guys, the Havliceks, the Bill Russells, the Cousys,” Pierce said. “These guys started what’s going on with those banners. They don’t hang up any other banners but championship ones.

“And now I’m a part of it.”

With the outcome assured, Boston fans sang into the night as if they were in a pub on nearby Canal Street. They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Garnett scored 26 points with 14 rebounds, Allen scored 26 and Pierce, the finals MVP who shook off a sprained right knee sustained in Game 1, added 17 as the Celtics, a 24-win team a year ago, wrapped up their first title since 1986.

Rajon Rondo had 21 points, eight assists, seven rebounds and six steals as the Celtics, who built a 23-point halftime lead and obliterated the Lakers, who were trying to become the first team to overcome a 3-1 deficit in the finals.

They didn’t stand a chance.

Boston’s 39-point win surpassed the NBA record for the biggest margin of victory in a championship clincher; the Celtics beat the Lakers 129-96 in Game 5 of the 1965 NBA finals.

In the final minute, Pierce doused Celtics coach Doc Rivers with red Gatorade. Owner Wyc Grousbeck, who named his group Banner 17 to leave no doubt about his goal, put an unlit cigar in his mouth—a tribute to Auerbach, the patriarch who had a hand in the franchise’s first 16 titles.

Garnett dropped to the parquet and kissed the leprechaun at center court and then found Russell, the Hall of Famer who taught him the Celtic way, for a long embrace.

“I got my own. I got my own,” Garnett said. “I hope we made you proud.”

“You sure did,” Russell said.

Rivers pulled Pierce, Garnett and Allen with 4:01 left and they shared a group hug with their coach, who was nearly run out of town last season. Rivers lost his father at the beginning of this remarkable run, a season no one expected.

By the time Rivers was handed the Larry O’Brien Trophy, it was June 18—his late father’s birthday.

When the game clock reached zeros, Rivers reflected on his dad.

“My first thought was what would my dad say,” Rivers said, “and honestly I started laughing because I thought he would probably say, if you knew my dad, `It’s about time. What have you been waiting for?”’

It’s was Boston’s first title since the passing of Auerbach, whose presence was the only thing missing on this night. Even Auerbach, who died in 2006, got some satisfaction. Led by Rivers, Auerbach’s beloved team denied Lakers coach Phil Jackson from overtaking him with a 10th championship.

The Boston-Los Angeles rivalry, nothing more than black-and-white footage from the 60s and TV highlights of players wearing short shorts in the 80s to young hoops fans, remains tilted toward the Atlantic Ocean. The Celtics are 9-2 against the Lakers in the finals.

Boston missed its first crack at closing out the series in Game 5, but the Celtics didn’t miss on their second swing, running the Lakers out of the gym.

Bryant, the regular season MVP, finished with 22 points on 7-of-22 shooting.

He started 4-of-5 from the field and seemed intent on forcing a Game 7. But he missed seven shots in a row and everywhere he went, L.A.’s No. 24 ran smack into a wall of Boston defense as high as the Green Monster.

“They were definitely the best defense I’ve seen the entire playoffs,” Bryant said. “I’ve seen some pretty stiff ones and this was right up there with them. The goal was to win a championship, it wasn’t to win MVP or anything like that, it was to win a championship.”

Garnett and Allen were All-Stars in other cities, stuck in Minnesota and Seattle, respectively, on teams going nowhere. But brought together in trades last summer by Celtics general manager Danny Ainge, a member of the ‘86 Celtics champions, they joined Pierce and formed an unbreakable bond, a trio as tight as the club’s lucky shamrock logo.

They resisted being called The Big Three, a nickname given to Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish two decades ago.
Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant speaks to the media after the Boston Celtics beat the Lakers 131-92 to win the NBA basketball championship in Boston, Wednesday, June 18, 2008.

“This is the reason we came here,” Garnett said. “This is the reason we got together, and Danny made it go down. This is it right now.”

With Garnett scoring 17 points and Pierce adding 10, Boston built a 58-35 halftime lead, and unlike Game 2 when they let the Lakers trim a 24-point lead to two in the fourth quarter before recovering, the Celtics never stopped.

They pushed their lead to 31 in the third, and with Boston still up by 29 after three, plastic sheets started going up in the Celtics’ locker room in preparation for a champagne celebration.

No team had to work harder for a championship than these Celtics, who were playing in their record 26th postseason game after being pushed to seven games by Atlanta and Cleveland before taking care of Detroit in six to win the Eastern Conference title.

They entered Game 6 slowed by injuries as Pierce, Kendrick Perkins (shoulder) and Rondo (ankle) were less than 100 percent. There was also uncertainty surrounding Allen, who stayed behind in Los Angeles following Game 5 after his youngest son became ill and was diagnosed with diabetes. The Celtics needed three planes to get back from L.A. and didn’t get home until late Monday night.
Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant (24) and Luke Walton (4) walk off the court near the end of a 131-92 loss to the Boston Celtics in Game 6 of the NBA basketball finals Tuesday, June 17, 2008, in Boston. Boston won their first NBA Championship in 22 years, eliminating the Lakers 4-2.

But there were no excuses, and just as they had while winning 66 games during the regular season, the Celtics got plenty of help from their bench as P.J. Brown, James Posey, Leon Powe and rookie Glen “Big Baby” Davis came in and contributed.

It was a group effort by this gang in green, which bonded behind Rivers, who borrowed an African word ubuntu (pronounced Ooh-BOON-too) and roughly means “I am, because we are” in English, as the Celtics’ unifying team motto.

The Celtics gave the Lakers a 12-minute crash course of ubuntu in the second quarter.

Boston outscored Los Angeles 34-19, getting 11 field goals on 11 assists. The Celtics toyed with the Lakers, outworking the Western Conference’s best inside and out and showing the same kind of heart that made Boston the center of pro basketball’s universe in the ’60s.

House and Posey made 3-pointers to put the Celtics ahead by 12 points and baskets by Pierce, Garnett and Rondo put Boston ahead by 18.

In the final minute, Garnett floated in the lane, banked in a one-handed runner and was fouled. His free throw made it 56-35, and after Perkins scored, the Celtics ran to the locker room leading by 23.

On his way off the floor, Garnett screamed, “That’s that.”

And so it was.

Notes

The Lakers had won their previous eight straight Game 6s in the finals. … Since the finals began in 1947, 16 have gone seven games, the most recent in 2005 when San Antonio had to go the distance to beat Detroit. … It was the second biggest margin in finals history behind Chicago’s 96-54 win over Utah in 1998. … The Celtics went 48-7 at home, including 13-1 in the postseason.

coreytaylor
06-18-2008, 04:44 PM
OT: To Marmand and Stonecold316: Please read first the previous posts before posting nba news, ok? Because there are times that you post news articles that i have already posted. Please lang pare. Nakaka-inis kasi tignan eh. Respeto lang pare. Peace.

coreytaylor
06-18-2008, 04:48 PM
sarap manalo!! it feels good to beat the majority's team!! hahaha ;D

walang mapipikon...! hehe peace! ;D

stonecold316
06-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Congratulations to Boston for winning the NBA title.
The best team (at least for this year) won over my favorite team.

Anyway, I'm still proud with regards of how far the Lakers went this year. They may not have won the title but second best is already a great accomplishment for a team, which one year ago, was in total disaray.

Sabi ng iba the other Lakers suck. Well, sa Game 6 oo kasi hindi sila gaano nakatulung sa offense at defense pero wala na tayo magagawa kasi mas hungry ang Boston players manalo ng NBA title.

I'm confident na by next year mas malakas ang LA. A couple of trades will do the trick for them. The return of original center Bynum should also be a big help.

Again, congratulations to Boston for winning their 17th title. Enjoy the victory because you deserve it.

stonecold316

stonecold316
06-18-2008, 05:20 PM
Celtics win 17th NBA title with 131-92 rout of LA
06/18/2008 | 12:12 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us (Updated) BOSTON - On a new parquet floor below aging championship banners, the Boston Celtics won their 17th NBA title and a first one — at last — for Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen — their Big Three for a new generation.

After 22 long years, the NBA has gone green.

Carried by ear-splitting chants of "Beat L.A." early and cries of "Seven-teen" in the closing seconds by their adoring crowd, which included Boston legends Bill Russell and John Havlicek, the Celtics concluded a shocking rebound of a season with a stunning 131-92 blowout over the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 6 on Tuesday night.

With the outcome assured, Boston fans sang into the night as if they were in a pub on nearby Canal Street. They serenaded the newest champs in this city of champs, and taunted Kobe Bryant and his Lakers, who drowned in a green-and-white wave for 48 minutes.

Garnett scored 26 points with 14 rebounds, Allen scored 26 and Pierce, the finals MVP, added 17 as the Celtics, a 24-win team a year ago, wrapped up their first title since 1986.

This was total domination. The Celtics obliterated the Lakers, who were trying to become the first team to overcome a 3-1 deficit in the finals.

No way. No how. No chance.

Boston's 39-point win surpassed the NBA record for the biggest margin of victory in a championship clincher; the Celtics beat the Lakers 129-96 in Game 5 of the 1965 NBA finals.

Pierce doused Celtics coach Doc Rivers with red Gatorade. Owner Wyc Grousbeck, who named his group Banner 17 to leave no doubt about his goal, put an unlit cigar in his mouth — a tribute to Red Auerbach, the patriarch who had a hand in the franchise's first 16 titles.

Garnett dropped to the parquet and kissed the leprechaun at center court and then found Russell, the Hall of Famer who taught him the Celtic way, for a long embrace.

"I got my own. I got my own," Garnett said. "I hope we made you proud."

"You sure did," Russell said.

Rivers pulled Pierce, Garnett and Allen with 4:01 left and they shared a group hug with their coach, who was nearly run out of town last season. In the final minute, Rivers, who lost his father at the beginning of this remarkable season, was soaked by Pierce, the Celtics' captain who decided to stay when things were bad and was rewarded for his loyalty

It's was Boston's first title since the passing of Auerbach, whose signature victory cigar was the only thing missing on this night. Even Auerbach, who died in 2006, got some satisfaction. Led by Rivers, Auerbach's beloved team denied Lakers coach Phil Jackson from overtaking him with a 10th championship.

A perfect ending: a 17th title on the 17th of June.

The Boston-Los Angeles rivalry, nothing more than black-and-white footage from the 60s and TV highlights of players wearing short shorts in the 80s to young hoops fans, remains tilted toward the Atlantic Ocean. The Celtics are 9-2 against the Lakers in the finals.

They missed their first crack at closing out the series in Game 5, but didn't miss on their second swing, running the Lakers out of their gym.

Bryant, the regular season MVP, finished with 22 points.

Garnett and Allen were All-Stars in other cities, stuck in Minnesota and Seattle, respectively, on teams going nowhere. But brought together in trades last summer by Celtics general manager Danny Ainge, a member of the '86 Celtics champions, they joined Pierce and formed an unbreakable bond, a trio as tight as the club's lucky shamrock logo.

With Garnett scoring 17 points and Pierce adding 10, Boston built a 23-point halftime lead, and unlike Game 2 when they let the Lakers trim a 24-point lead to two in the fourth quarter before recovering, the Celtics kept coming in waves.

They pushed their lead to 31 in the third quarter, and with Boston still up by 29 after three quarters, plastic sheets started going up in the Celtics' locker room in preparation for a champagne celebration.

Bryant started 4-of-5 from the field, but he missed seven shots in a row and went only 7-of-22, capping a forgettable finals. Everywhere he went, L.A.'s No. 24 ran smack into a wall of Boston defense as high as the Green Monster a few miles away at Fenway Park.

"Defense," Rivers said before the game. "Is what we do."

In the second half, Celtics fans chanted "You're not (Michael) Jordan" at Bryant, who will have to wait for his fourth title and first without former teammate Shaquille O'Neal. The Lakers, who stole Pau Gasol away from Memphis in a mid-season trade to help Bryant, will have the all summer to think about what went wrong.

No team had to work harder for a championship than these Celtics, who were playing in their record 26th postseason game. They were pushed to seven games in the first round by Atlanta, another seven by Cleveland and then took care of Detroit in six to win the Eastern Conference title.

They entered Game 6 of the finals slowed by injuries as Pierce, Kendrick Perkins (shoulder) and Rajon Rondo (ankle) were less than 100 percent. There was also uncertainty surrounding Allen, who stayed behind in Los Angeles following Game 5 after his youngest son became ill.

But just as they had while winning 66 games during the regular season, the Celtics got plenty of help from their bench as P.J. Brown, James Posey, Leon Powe and rookie Glen "Big Baby" Davis came in and contributed.

It was a group effort by this gang in green, which bonded behind Rivers, who borrowed an African word ubuntu (pronounced Ooh-BOON-too) and roughly means "I am, because we are" in English, as the Celtics' unifying team motto.

The Celtics gave the Lakers a 12-minute crash course of ubuntu in the second quarter.

Boston outscored Los Angeles 34-19, getting 11 field goals on 11 assists while holding Bryant to three points, all on free throws. The Celtics toyed with the Lakers, outworking the Western Conference's best inside and out and showing the same kind of heart that made Boston the center of pro basketball's universe in the '60s.

House and Posey made 3-pointers to put the Celtics ahead by 12 points and baskets by Pierce, Garnett and Rondo put Boston ahead by 18.

In the final minute, Garnett floated in the lane, banked in a one-handed runner and was fouled. His free throw made it 56-35, and after Perkins scored, the Celtics ran to the locker room leading by 23.

On his way off the floor, Garnett screamed, "That's that."

And so it was.

The Celtics didn't get back to Boston until late Monday night. They sat on the runway at LAX for nearly four hours, a delay Rivers joked may have been caused by some gremlins under orders from Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak and Jackson.

Allen stayed behind to be with his youngest son, who had taken ill during Game 5 in Los Angeles and had to be hospitalized. Allen didn't arrive until Tuesday, taking an early morning flight from the West Coast and missing the team's shootaround.

That was one red eye, he got another in the first quarter when he got poked in the left eye by Lamar Odom while scoring on a layup. Allen doubled over in pain and was taken to the locker room. By the time he came back to the bench — much like Pierce did from a knee injury in Game 1 — the Celtics were up comfortably ahead and on their way to restoring their glory.

Notes:@ The Lakers had won their previous eight straight Game 6s in the finals. ... Since the finals began in 1947, 16 have gone seven games, the most recent in 2005 when San Antonio had to go the distance to beat Detroit. ... It was the second biggest margin in finals history behind Chicago's 96-54 win over Utah in 1998. ... It wasn't as starry as L.A.'s crowd, but Game 6 brought out celebrities including Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler, actor Leonardo DiCaprio, Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who got a huge ovation when he was shown on the scoreboard, and Miami Heat star Dwyane Wade. - AP

stonecold316
06-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Garnett, Pierce, Allen lead Celtics to 1st NBA title since 1986
06/18/2008 | 12:33 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us BOSTON - It's the reason Paul Pierce stuck around when the losses mounted and the end was far from clear. The reason Ray Allen was acquired as a draft-day consolation prize. And the reason Kevin Garnett agreed to leave the only pro team he'd ever known.

The Big Three has won the Big One.

The Boston Celtics rode their three All-Stars to their 17th championship on Tuesday night, blowing by the Los Angeles Lakers with a stunning show of second-quarter scoring to win 131-92 in Game 6 of the NBA finals.

Pierce, the finals MVP, had 17 points and 10 assists in the clincher, Garnett had 26 points with 14 rebounds, and Allen returned from a red-eye flight from the coast and a poked eye in the lane to add 26 points, including an NBA finals record-tying seven 3-pointers.

It was the first NBA title for each of them, and the first for the league's most-decorated franchise since the original Big Three of Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish won No. 16 in 1986. Danny Ainge was the point guard for that team and the general manager for the one that won 66 games a season after winning 24 — the biggest turnaround in NBA history.

The Celtics also joined the 1975 Golden State Warriors and the '77 Trail Blazers as the only teams to win it all a year after missing the playoffs.

It's not hard to see why.

Last year's team featured Pierce and a passel of young players who showed promise individually but little sign of snapping the longest championship drought in franchise history. After their legendary luck deserted them in the lottery, leaving them with a worst-case fifth pick in a two-star draft, Ainge wheeled the first-rounder for Allen.

That was enough to convince Garnett to sign an extension, and Ainge cobbled together an unprecedented 7-for-1 deal for the final piece in the new Big Three. - AP

stonecold316
06-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Not enough Kobe, not enough help in Lakers' blowout loss
06/18/2008 | 12:59 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us BOSTON - The best player was no match for the best team.

Even Kobe Bryant couldn't solve Boston's suffocating defense in the NBA finals, which ended Tuesday when the Celtics crushed the Los Angeles Lakers 131-92 in Game 6.

Bryant knew all along the Celtics were going to force someone besides him to beat them, and there was nobody else in purple and gold up for the job.

Bryant finished with 22 points, but shot only 7-of-22 from the field and was quiet after a sizzling start for the second straight game.

The Lakers needed an MVP performance from Bryant. Bryant needed help.

Neither got what they wanted — and they're not getting another championship ring this season, either.

Bryant averaged 31.9 points through the first three rounds, tops among all players in the postseason. But the Celtics limited him to 25.7 per game and 40 percent shooting, rotating a number of defenders on him and making sure there was always help behind if Bryant did try to get to the basket.

And there was no one else to pick up the slack. Lamar Odom didn't have a field goal until the fourth quarter, when the Lakers were already down by 29 points. Pau Gasol took only seven shots and finished with 11 points — and he was their second-leading scorer until deep in the fourth quarter, when Odom went to work against the reserves who played the last few minutes while Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen were busy celebrating on the sideline.

With the Lakers' season on the line and no other choice, Phil Jackson left Bryant on the floor for the entire second quarter, instead of his usual break early in the period. Maybe the rest would have been a better idea.

Bryant missed all four shots and committed two turnovers in the period, when the game was decided after Boston outscored Los Angeles 34-15. And when he desperately needed his teammates to pick him up, the rest of the Lakers combined for only three field goals in the period, and the Celtics had a commanding 58-35 bulge by the time it was over.

When he tried to carry them back in the third quarter, the Celtics were ready for him. Rajon Rondo picked him clean and Bryant had to race back as the Lakers tried to catch and foul the point guard, with Bryant tumbling on top of Rondo just a few feet from Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

Even Belichick, one of the top defensive minds in his sport, couldn't have cooked up a scheme as good as the Celtics'.

Later, a pretty spin move got Bryant close to the basket, but P.J. Brown swatted his shot off the backboard to start a fast break the other way.

Bryant was having his way early, scoring 11 points in the first quarter. By then it was already clear that a big night from the league's MVP would be their only chance: At one point in the first half, when it was still a game, Bryant had 12 points. The rest of the Lakers had combined for 12.

It was the kind of inept performance from the supporting cast that Bryant saw too often last season, leading him to rip team management last summer for not getting him enough help, then declare he wanted to be traded.

The Lakers refused to part with their superstar, then got off to a strong start when it turned out the teammates that Bryant thought so little of weren't all that bad.

Just not nearly good enough to help him beat the Celtics. - AP

stonecold316
06-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Boston's Rondo wraps up 2nd season with big performance
06/18/2008 | 01:22 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us BOSTON - Young point guard Rajon Rondo played so poorly in Game 5 of the NBA finals that Celtics coach Doc Rivers used him for just 14 1/2 minutes. That all changed in Game 6.

Rondo was hesitant to shoot in Sunday night's fifth game loss in Los Angeles. He even passed up an easy layup to throw the ball out for a longer shot that missed. Rondo hit one of seven shots and, Rivers said, was "just not playing well."

The speedy second-year starter came of age on Tuesday night with a brilliant all-around game that helped Boston win its 17th NBA championship with a 131-92 victory over the Lakers.

His line: 21 points, eight assists, seven rebounds, six steals. With 18 steals, the Celtics broke the finals record of 17 by Golden State in 1975.

And there's more: Rondo had just one turnover in 31 minutes. And the reluctant shooter fired the ball up 20 times, more than any of his teammates.

Pretty amazing, especially since he hurt his left ankle early in the third quarter of Game 3 — a Celtics loss — and spent most of the second half of that game on the bench. But Rivers knew how important he was to the team.

"He's the one pure point guard on our team that has the ability to make plays, and that's what we would lose" if Rondo didn't play in Game 4, Rivers said.

But he played in that game and again in Game 5. He saved his best for the clincher.

___

ONE VERY HAPPY BABY: Glen Davis made his first appearance in the NBA finals on Tuesday night. He finally got his chance to do what so many other Celtics reserves did — contribute to a win.

And this was Boston's biggest victory in 22 years, since their last NBA title in 1986.

Beefy "Big Baby" didn't play in the first five games but was on the floor for almost eight minutes in the second quarter Tuesday night when Boston opened up a big lead over the Los Angeles Lakers.

The 289-pound (131-kilogram) rookie with the easy smile went in for P.J. Brown with the Celtics leading 24-20 with 11:17 left in the second quarter. By the time Davis was replaced by Kendrick Perkins 3:37 before intermission, the lead was up to 47-34 — a 13-point bulge that never got smaller. Davis finished the game with three points and four rebounds in 15 minutes.

The bench made big contributions in the other Celtics wins against the Lakers. Sam Cassell had eight points in the 98-88 Game 1 win, Leon Powe scored 21 in Boston's 108-102 win in Game 2. And James Posey scored 18 and Eddie House 11 when Boston won in Los Angeles 97-91 to go up 3-1 in the series.

Davis actually was drafted by Seattle, but his rights were included in the deal on draft night that also sent Ray Allen to the Celtics.

___

FLYING, FINALLY: The Boston Celtics needed three airplanes to get back from Los Angeles, and that's smelling a little fishy to coach Doc Rivers.

The Celtics were supposed to leave around 11 a.m. Monday, but they didn't take off until close to 3 p.m., and didn't land until 10:30 p.m. Asked about the travel problems, Rivers pointed a sarcastic finger squarely at Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak and coach Phil Jackson.

"Why don't you call Mitch Kupchak and Phil? They'll probably tell you exactly what happened," Rivers said to laughter. "It was a long day, it really was."

When they played in the original Boston Garden, opponents used to complain that savvy Celtics patriarch Red Auerbach would turn off the air conditioning or the hot water in the visiting locker room. Although he maintained that the problems were the same for both sides — the old building didn't even have air conditioning — Auerbach loved the fact that it was getting to the other team.

Maybe it's payback time.

The original Celtics plane had a cracked windshield, so they were put on another one. After pushing back from the gate, the second plane developed mechanical problems so they had to come back.

"We had to unfortunately pull people off that one," Rivers said. "And when we get there at the gate, we see the Laker plane taking off, and I was saying, 'Oh, this is nice.'"

Rivers said they sat on the plane for three to four hours before taking off.

Celtics rookie Gabe Pruitt, who said the team wound up on a plane that usually flies the Oakland Athletics, was also suspicious.

"Two planes?" he said. "What are the chances of that happening?"

Pruitt said he slept much of the time, while hurt players such as Paul Pierce and Kendrick Perkins received treatment for their injuries.

___

INACTIVE, BUT PAYING ATTENTION: Boston Celtics guard Gabe Pruitt, who played in just 15 games in the regular season and none so far in the playoffs, said he's trying to pick up anything he can from the experience so he'll be ready if called upon.

"I'm just learning a lot," he said before Game 6 of the NBA finals. "I'm fortunate to be on a team that's one game away from a world championship."

Pruitt, a second-round draft choice in his first year in the league, scored 32 points in 95 minutes this season. He also played in the developmental league.

"It's hard to sit here and not play, but I realize I need to wait my turn," he said. "There are a lot of older guys ahead of me."

___

TALL, AND TO THE POINT: Lakers coach Phil Jackson stopped by the interview room for the obligatory pregame media availability.

And he didn't dally.

Asked just three questions, Jackson stuck around for about two minutes before splitting. He gave little insight.

Asked about the Celtics injuries, Jackson said he was more concerned about his team. Asked about his team, he alluded to hockey injury reports that are notoriously uninformative, with descriptions like "upper body."

"Upper body is good," Jackson said. "Legs are sustaining."

End of interview.

- AP

stonecold316
06-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Celtics' 39-point margin sets record for clincher
06/18/2008 | 07:05 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us BOSTON – The Celtics' 39-point margin in Tuesday night's championship clinching win is the largest in a decisive NBA finals game.

In fact, Boston now has four of the six biggest margins in games that clinched titles. The Lakers have the other two in championships won while they were in Minneapolis. The previous biggest winning margin in such games was 33 points by Boston on April 25, 1965, when it beat the Los Angeles Lakers 129-96.

On Tuesday night, the Celtics trounced the Lakers 131-92 to take the series 4-2.

Ray Allen set a record for most 3-pointers made in a finals series with 22. The previous mark of 17 was set by Dan Majerle with Phoenix in 1993 and matched by Derek Harper with New York in 1994. Allen's seven 3-pointers Tuesday night tied the finals record shared by Houston's Kenny Smith and Chicago's Scottie Pippen.

And Boston's 52 baskets from 3-point range erased the finals mark of 51 set by San Antonio in 2005.

The Celtics also put on a record-setting defensive performance Tuesday with 18 steals, eclipsing the single-game finals mark set by Golden State against Washington in 1975.

The Lakers put their own stamp on the record book, despite being crushed in the decisive game. League MVP Kobe Bryant's 16 steals in the series tied the mark held by some pretty special players — Julius Erving, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird and Dwyane Wade.

And Boston broke its own NBA record for most championships with 17. The Lakers are second with 14. - AP

Dark Knight
06-18-2008, 08:12 PM
Stonecold.....double posts. Read Coreytaylors previous posts.

Im taking a bath right now with Red Gatorade!!!!! Feels good!!!!

batangueño
06-18-2008, 08:33 PM
2008 NBA Finals Game 6: Boston Celtics def. Los Angeles Lakers, 131-92. Celtics win series.

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

This was what the Boston Celtics were able to prove after won their 17th NBA World Championship Title by beating the Los Angeles Lakers, 131-92, in Game 6 of the 2008 NBA Finals held Tuesday night at the TD Banknorth Garden.

* The Celtics' defense suffocated the Lakers effectively. Boston effectively controlled Kobe Bryant and made him virtually nowhere in sight. The rest of the Lakers failed to establish their own offense and defense, thanks to the tremendous defense of the Celtics. The Celtics' offense was also buoyed by their defense, thus Boston never looked back when they were able to put a commanding lead over the Lakers.

* Hands down to the Celtics for an entirely team effort as they battled the Lakers during Game 6. As usual, the Big Three comprised of Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen, who still played despite having to face a crisis involving his daughter, led the entire team as they battled the Kobe Bryant-led Lakers. Rajon Rondo played a spectacular basketball last night, causing problems for Los Angeles. Kendirck Perkins did a pretty decent job although he was in foul trouble. The Celtics' bench (Posey, Powe, House, Brown, T. Allen, Davis, etc.) did a good job as well.

I loved the chemistry and rapport amongst the Celtics. They are very comfortable with each other. They also know where to go, when to pass and whom to pass to. All team effort in winning the 2008 NBA world championship title.

* Paul Pierce definitely deserves the Finals MVP award. He definitely proved to everyone that he is the team captain of the Celtics and showed steadiness and determination in all six games of the 2008 NBA Finals. The Truth definitely led the Celtics into winning their first NBA title in 22 years (their 17th in franchise history).

* Coach Doc Rivers definitely had outsmarted Coach Phil Jackson on Game 6. Rivers had Jackson's numbers and he was able to field in the players who could silence the Lakers' guns, most especially Kobe Bryant. Most importantly, Doc Rivers' motivational speeches helped boost the confidence of his players as they faced the very popular Los Angeles Lakers.

* As for the Lakers, well, Kobe Bryant is still their main man. However, the Lakers' bench failed to back him up. Gasol's performance was satisfactory. Odom's performance was so-so. The other Lakers were virtually nowhere to be found. They have a lot of things to improve on, most especially when Andrew Bynym re-enters the team, as they prepare for the 2008-2009 NBA season.

* I loved watching the Celtics alumni watching the games at the TD Banknorth Garden. Their presence had somewhat boosted the morale and the confidence of the current generation of Celtics into winning the franchise's 17th NBA world championship title.

* Lastly, I am so glad that my prediction of Boston winning the NBA world championship title in six games never failed. ;D

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE BOSTON CELTICS, 2008 NBA WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Dark Knight
06-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I wonder what Reggie Miller is feeling right now?

Joescoundrel
06-18-2008, 10:16 PM
From Johnny Ludden of Yahoo __

"BOSTON – Tuesday night bled into Wednesday morning, and, still, there was no sight of Kobe Bryant. The rest of the Los Angeles Lakers long since had collected their egos and cleared out of the locker room. For nearly an hour, their captain had ensconced himself in a back room with a few team officials as company. Just outside Bryant’s door, the Boston Celtics whooped and celebrated their champagne-soaked championship.

“Yes sir, 17!” Paul Pierce shouted to anyone who would listen. “Might get another one, too!”

One by one the Celtics bounded down the hallway. Sam Cassell yelled for his son. Championship cap pulled low over his eyes, smile stretched across his face, Ray Allen jogged into Boston’s locker room. Big Baby shimmied in front of the TV cameras. Bryant could hear them all.
ADVERTISEMENT

Finally, the door opened. A Lakers official ducked her head out of the room and saw Kevin Garnett approaching. Not until Garnett passed did Bryant emerge. Neither man noticed the other, two champions, one past, one present, crossing in the night.

Bryant had been on the other side of the hallway before. He knew what KG and Pierce and all those other Celtics were feeling, and that’s why he burned. After all, wasn’t this supposed to be his season, his time?

“I don’t think anything that happened this year will mean a lot to him or put a smile on his face because of the end result,” said Derek Fisher, Bryant’s longtime teammate. “… Knowing him the way I know him, he’d give back his MVP trophy now if it meant we still had an opportunity to play for a championship and win it. That’s how much winning means to him.”

Bryant said as much when he reached the podium. He was proud of his teammates. He was proud of the Lakers’ unexpected success this season. But …

“The goal,” Bryant said, “was to win a championship. It wasn’t to win MVP or anything like that. It was to win a championship.

“From that aspect, we failed.”

The Lakers still have a bright future, if for no other reason than they still have Andrew Bynum coming to them. Had any runner-up ever left the Finals knowing one of the league’s best young centers will soon be delivered to its doorstep? The Lakers missed Bynum in this series more than they’ve missed him all season. His rebounding and shot-blocking, Bryant admitted, “solves a couple” of the Lakers’ problems. With Bynum starting, Pau Gasol can move to power forward, where he is less apt to be physically overmatched. Lamar Odom can then move to … Ohio?

Bryant knows Bynum can’t fix everything. The way this series played out, the way it embarrassingly ended, with the Celtics hammering down dunks and burying one three-pointer after another until the closing seconds of the 39-point verdict, left the Lakers unsettled. In the end, with their season on the line, they showed no fight.

After surrendering a 24-point lead in one loss, then coughing up 19- and 14-point advantages in another game they barely won, the Lakers proved to be as soft as they were talented. No six-game series ever has seemed so one-sided.

“All of us are going to have to go home, watch this tape together, watch our ass get kicked together and focus on November,” Odom said. “See how much it hurts, see how bad it looks, so it will never happen again.”

Or as Lakers coach Phil Jackson said: “We have to get some players, if we’re going to come back and repeat, to have that kind of aggressiveness we need.”

“Some players” means Odom and Gasol. The problem, of course, is that what Odom and Gasol looked like in this series very well may be who they are: talented, yet emotionally fragile, front-runners.

Odom can be maddeningly inconsistent, running hot and cold from game to game and disappearing when the Lakers need him most. In 40 minutes Tuesday, he made just two shots.

Gasol, meanwhile, was bulled over by Garnett early in the game and remained passive throughout. This won’t surprise anyone in Memphis. Gasol had pined for a trade to a winning franchise, and when the Grizzlies finally delivered him to one? He privately fretted to a teammate about the pressure that would come with playing for the Lakers.

“He’s terrified,” another person close to Gasol said on the day of the trade.

Gasol is only 27, and he still has time to mature. Maybe he learns from this. Said Bryant: “I think once you go through your ups and downs and struggle a little bit, taste defeat…that makes you a little tougher.”

Still, Gasol and Odom have gorged on defeat throughout their careers, and they haven’t toughened yet. That’s why the Lakers would benefit from adding another battle-tested veteran to their roster. They stared at one candidate in this series: When James Posey wasn’t dropping in three-pointers over the Lakers’ heads, he clung to Bryant’s hip.

With Posey and others herding him into a crowd of Celtics whenever he tried to drive, Bryant shot barely 40 percent in the series, and that’s why the Lakers’ supporting cast shouldn’t have to shoulder all the blame. Dirk Nowitzki put up similar numbers in the 2006 Finals, and he returned home to find the locals waiting with torches.

Bryant? He chose to simmer into the morning behind a closed door. He later spoke optimistically about next season, about Bynum’s promise, about how well his young teammates had come together. Deep down, however, he also knew something else.

“This isn’t guaranteed to anybody,” Bryant said. “There’s people who have gotten here and never gotten back.”

Bryant answered a few more questions before pushing himself away from the podium. He walked off the stage, and a handful of security officials shepherded him to the Garden’s loading dock.

The Lakers’ bus had been idling for nearly an hour. Bryant climbed aboard and the door shut. As the police escort guided them into the morning chill, not even Kobe Bryant could guarantee where he and his teammates were headed."

tigerman
06-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Did I just hear a familiar UAAP cheer from the crowd at TD Banknorth Garden? They were shouting it as early as 8 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter.* ;D

Wherever Shaq is right now, I can feel his happiness for the outcome.* ;D Shaq may have won his 4th title with the help of Wade and the referees but at least he already won one in the post-Kobe/Shaq era.

As for Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak, its time to decide whether to stick with Lamar Odom. If not, trading him for a solid wingman who can shoot, play D and has good bball iq is the best case scenario.

As for Phil Jackson, this is his 2nd straight loss in the finals. Many thought that he will simply impose his will on the relatively inexperienced Doc Rivers. But I got to say this, he was outcoached for the majority of the series.

As for Doc Rivers, you showed to everyone that being a successful coach is not all about the winning tradition, or the x's and o's or the rich coaching experience. Sometimes, its about the intangibles.

As for KG, Rayray and the Truth, you all deserved this trophy. You showed to the basketball world what true sacrifice can do.

As for Kobe, he started hot but again lost steam the next 3 quarters ala-game 5. It's disappointing to see the MVP shoot 7 for 22 from the floor in a win-or-go home scenario. Simply put, the Kobe we saw in games 3, 4 and 5 is not the best player on the planet that we know. That's not him. Kaya Kobe haters banat na!* ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

pablohoney
06-19-2008, 12:13 AM
tigerman:Kaya Kobe haters banat na!

There's no need.
The loss (for Kobe) is more than enough for me.
And the continuing comparison of him to MJ is also sweet.

Hell, I didn't like MJ, too. ;D

tigerman: Did I just hear a familiar UAAP cheer from the crowd at TD Banknorth Garden? They were shouting it as early as 8 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter.

;D
No, pare.
Those were just Gino-maniacs. ;)

reforms
06-19-2008, 01:51 AM
The unsung hero for me in the finals is Rajon Rondo.

He completely controlled the game with his plays, hustle and decision making. At first, I had my doubts with his abilities, but he proved me wrong. He is not as explosive as a tony parker or as jaw-dropping like a chris paul, but he gets the job done.
Congrats Boston!

joelex
06-19-2008, 02:42 AM

couldnt agree more. ive become a big fan of james posey in the way he plays defense and his hustle. bonus pa yung accuracy nya from downtown. totally regret the fact i decided to pass on the Posey t-shirt being sold in the NBA store!

as for the comparisons to robert horry, youre right on track, BTV is airing a replay of the MIAMI-DALLAS finale and was pleasantly surprised to see that Posey was on that championship club and that time making life so miserable for Dirk Nowitzki.

erichubert
06-19-2008, 09:32 AM
They were replaying the Game 6 of the Miami-Dallas finals. Posey was really the key in that series, of course the phantom foul in the end to Dirk was also critical. But James played defense on Dirk, hit the clutch shots and was the hustle guy of that team. Memo to Lakers: These are the kind of players to go after this off season and Posey is a free agent.

The_Big_Cat
06-19-2008, 10:04 AM
I think it is a must for the Celtics franchise to re-sign James Posey. They would be needing his services for players like LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, T-Mac, Carmelo Anthony etc.

Cassell and PJ Brown are not "shoo-ins" anymore considering they will be turning 39. I would like to see them get an experienced and offensive threat power forward/center. Maybe an "Antonio McDyess". Leon Powe and Glenn Davis are good bench players but are undersized.

For the Lakers, I think, their concern will be the point guard spot with the aging Derek Fisher and the small forward spot in the person of Vladimir Radmanovic. Radmanovic is an excellent scorer especially in the perimeter but his defense is suspect. I would like to see the Lakers shop for a defensive-minded small forward like a "Tayshaun Prince" or "Andrei Kirilenko" to complement Kobe Bryant.

RockLobster
06-19-2008, 11:00 AM
The_Big_Cat, you seem to have access to a lot of NBA trivia. Am just curious about some stuff:

1)* It's now 0-31, right? Meaning teams who've fallen behind 1-3 in the NBA finals have continued to fail to come back and win the title. But have there been teams who've been able to extend the series to a game 7?

2)* Seems the MVPs of recent regular seasons have also failed to bring their teams to the promise land, e.g. Kobe this year, Dirk in 2006. Has this been the case the past 10 seasons or so?

erichubert
06-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Boston would be smart to re-sign Posey and House, but Cassell and PJ Brown might be done. Brown can be re-signed but I think he will retire. Adding more back-up bigs and a back-up for Ray Allen would be their priority and they have the 30th pick and the MLE to do that.

LA has a lot of issues to deal with, the good news is that hopefully Big Bynum would come back healthy and as good as ever. They need to add veterans like the Celtics did and they need to add toughness. If Bynum is ok, either Lamar or Pau should go and I am guessing it would be Lamar. They can trade him for a starting point guard, and then use the MLE for a small forward, ahem Ron Artest? That would be the perfect scenario for them.

coreytaylor
06-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Stonecold.....double posts. Read Coreytaylors previous posts.

Im taking a bath right now with Red Gatorade!!!!! Feels good!!!!

hahay mga taong di nakaka-intindi.

coreytaylor
06-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Boston would be smart to re-sign Posey and House, but Cassell and PJ Brown might be done. Brown can be re-signed but I think he will retire. Adding more back-up bigs and a back-up for Ray Allen would be their priority and they have the 30th pick and the MLE to do that.

malay natin, si robert horry papalit sa kanila next season!* ;D

Robert Horry: " oi, may bagong champion team! ang lakas pa ng line-up nila! hehe lilipat ako sa boston para champion na naman ulit! madadagdagan na naman rings ko!" ;D ;D

Jeep
06-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Did I just hear a familiar UAAP cheer from the crowd at TD Banknorth Garden? They were shouting it as early as 8 minutes remaining in the 4th quarter.* ;D

na-na-na-na, na-na-na-na, L-A, goodbye!

ateneo, ateneo, ooohh, go and fight!

yup, i noticed that, too. * :)

As for Phil Jackson, this is his 2nd straight loss in the finals. Many thought that he will simply impose his will on the relatively inexperienced Doc Rivers. But I got to say this, he was outcoached for the majority of the series.

As for Doc Rivers, you showed to everyone that being a successful coach is not all about the winning tradition, or the x's and o's or the rich coaching experience. Sometimes, its about the intangibles.

BTV often used those soundbites from coach rivers' pre-game pep talks in their spiels for this finals. the way he motivates his team is a cut above the rest. sorry pjax, after those snide remarks on KG and mr. pierce, and your curt reply to doc rivers after game 2, you've lost my respect and admiration. your 2 3-peats with another storied franchise back in the 90s are out the window as far as i'm concerned.

As for KG, Rayray and the Truth, you all deserved this trophy. You showed to the basketball world what true sacrifice can do.

truly, the new big 3! and i'm certain the 1980s big 3 -- bird, parrish, mchale -- would agree with that! *:)

Wherever Shaq is right now, I can feel his happiness for the outcome. *;D Shaq may have won his 4th title with the help of Wade and the referees but at least he already won one in the post-Kobe/Shaq era.

vindication for shaq, after the unceremonious shove.

As for Kobe, he started hot but again lost steam the next 3 quarters ala-game 5. It's disappointing to see the MVP shoot 7 for 22 from the floor in a win-or-go home scenario. Simply put, the Kobe we saw in games 3, 4 and 5 is not the best player on the planet that we know. That's not him. Kaya Kobe haters banat na! *;D

masarap nga sana. but in fairness, he is talented. still, to put him up there with bird, johnson, jordan is quite a stretch of the imagination. this game 6 meltdown shows it. but he's got the tools for the trade. he just has to work harder. and maybe, he can find a spot with the globetrotters.

coreytaylor
06-19-2008, 12:24 PM
22 people arrested after Celtics’ win

BOSTON (AP)—Prosecutors say 10 people have been arraigned on charges stemming from criminal acts during the Boston Celtics’ championship celebrations.

Police arrested 22 people before and after the Celtics won their 17th NBA title Tuesday night. Ten suspects were arraigned in Boston Municipal Court on Wednesday, the vast majority for disorderly conduct

Several storefront windows were damaged near the TD Banknorth Garden after the Celtics’ 131-92 win over the Los Angeles Lakers in Game 6 of the NBA Finals.

Mayor Thomas Menino called the alleged offenders “punks” and called for tough penalties.

Police increased patrols and used video surveillance at key areas around the city to control rowdiness. Previous New England Patriots and Boston Red Sox championship celebrations have been marred by deaths among revelers.

coreytaylor
06-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Celtics schedule “rolling rally” for Thursday
By NANCY KELSEY, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON (AP)—Boston’s streets will be crowded again with screaming fans celebrating a championship—but this time they’ll be wearing green.

Mayor Tom Menino announced plans Wednesday for a “rolling rally” at 11 a.m. Thursday to celebrate the Boston Celtics’ win over the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Finals. The parade will start at the TD Banknorth Garden and wind its way through downtown to Copley Square. The parade also will be broadcast on a Jumbotron in Copley Square and Boston Common.

Sixteen World War II-era amphibious “duck boats” will carry the Celtics players, owners and staff. The team’s dancers, former Celtics greats and championship trophies from previous years will ride on two flatbed trucks.

City officials urged the hundreds of thousands of fans expected to attend the parade to use public transportation, with streets around the route closed to traffic beginning at 9:30 a.m.

The city has held five other championship parades since 2002—three when the New England Patriots won the Super Bowl and two when the Boston Red Sox won the World Series. The last one was on Oct. 30, after the Red Sox swept the Colorado Rockies.

But Celtics fans haven’t had much to cheer since 1986, the final time Larry Bird and Boston won the NBA championship. That all changed Tuesday night, when Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen helped secure the franchise’s 17th championship.

“We’re a city of champions,” Menino said. “We are ‘Title Town.”’

coreytaylor
06-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Bynum’s return should make Lakers stronger
By KEN PETERS, AP Sports Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP)—Although the Lakers’ season ended with a thud, they have Andrew Bynum coming back and youth and Kobe Bryant on their side, so they can say “Wait ‘til next year” and be taken seriously.

Since Shaquille O’Neal left town with three championship rings following the 2003-2004 season, Los Angeles has been vulnerable inside on both ends of the floor. Boston’s big men, exemplified by Kevin Garnett in Game 6, were more than the Lakers could handle.

As the Celtics were romping to a 131-92 victory in their clinching Game 6 Tuesday night, a Boston fan held a sign that read, “Kobe, You Can’t Do Jack Without Shaq.”

Bryant might be able to do that and more with 7-foot, 285-pound Bynum at center and 7-0 Pau Gasol at forward.

Acquiring Gasol in February turned the Lakers’ season around, helping them win the tough Western Conference and come within two games of taking the league title. But Gasol, a 250-pounder, didn’t have the bulk needed to match up against heftier players.

“They overran us. Garnett knocked Pau down in the lane and scored an easy basket in the first four or five possessions and set kind of a tone,” Lakers coach Phil Jackson said.

Bryant’s options were limited because he couldn’t drive to the hoop consistently. The Celtics could.

Asked what Bynum will bring to the team, Bryant said, “Rebounding and shot-blocker in the middle. He solves a couple of those.”

Sidelined since Jan. 13 by a knee injury and ensuing surgery, Bynum was averaging 13.1 points, 10.2 rebounds, 2.06 blocks and was shooting a league-high 63.6 percent from the floor when he went up for a rebound and came down on teammate Lamar Odom’s foot.

The freak injury occurred as Bynum, still a pro basketball baby at 20, seemed to be rapidly coming of age. He is expected to be ready to go by the start of next season.

Watching the finals from the sidelines was painful for him.

“Definitely want to be able to go out there and play, help your teammates out,” he said after the Lakers lost the opening game. “Not being able to do that kind of stinks, especially when you lose by a little bit like we did last time. You lose by rebounds, blocked shots, turnovers; people walking down getting layups and that’s a big part of my job as a center.”

Odom hopes Bynum’s return will make a big difference.

“Obviously, we really don’t know because we haven’t all played together, but with Gasol and Bynum down there with the players that we have, I’m pretty sure it will,” Odom said.

Sasha Vujacic is guaranteeing that the Lakers will win it all next season.

“Especially with Andrew and the same group, we won’t be short two games like we were this year. I can guarantee you that,” Vujacic said. “We are going to work really hard. We want to win it. We lost our first finals and I think we have a lot more to go.”

Looking ahead, although Bryant didn’t have a stellar series in the finals, he’s the regular-season MVP and still arguably the best in the game. He, Gasol and Bynum conceivably could be the next “Big Three.”

And they’ll be around for a while.

Bryant turns 30 on Aug. 23 and Gasol’s 28th birthday is next month. Derek Fisher, 33, was the only Los Angeles regular over 30 in the series against the Celtics. Boston’s Garnett and Ray Allen will be 33 at finals time next year, and Paul Pierce will be 31.

Since the Lakers’ season began in turmoil, with Bryant calling the team’s front office “a mess” and asking to be traded, their turnaround and trip to the finals was unexpected.

Jackson called the Lakers’ season a “remarkable” one.

“We suffered injuries and survived a season and rebuilt our team and came back and had a great playoff run until the Celtics were able to extinguish that hope,” he said.

“But we’ll look back on this favorably. We were surprised we were here, and we’re glad that we had an opportunity. But whenever you get this opportunity, you don’t want to let it slip away, and we did.”

While Jackson said the Lakers need to acquire some players if they are going to return to the finals, Bryant—who essentially had demanded last summer that he get some help—said no shakeup is necessary.

“No, we’re fine. I think what we have to do is continue to work. That’s really the key, understanding that this isn’t guaranteed to anybody. There are people who have gotten here before and never gotten back, so it’s important for us to understand that, to work hard and come back next year ready to go,” Bryant said.

coreytaylor
06-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Banner 17: Celtics add to record championship haul
By JIMMY GOLEN, AP Sports Writer

BOSTON (AP)—When the Boston Celtics built a new practice facility, they surrounded the court with their 16 NBA championship banners and left a blank space for No. 17.

The message was a bit too subtle for Doc Rivers.

The Celtics coach turned a spotlight on the empty spot on the wall at the beginning of this season so there would be no doubt about the team’s goal.

“They can turn that thing off now,” guard Ray Allen said early Wednesday morning, his left eye still red from the first-half face-raking and the postgame champagne spraying that accompanied Boston’s title-clinching, 131-92 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers.

Allen returned to the floor after getting poked in the eye and scored 26 points, including an NBA record-tying seven 3-pointers, Kevin Garnett had 26 points with 14 rebounds and finals MVP Paul Pierce scored 17 with 10 assists on Tuesday night as the Celtics smoked the Lakers like one of Red Auerbach’s legendary victory cigars.

A year after winning just 24 games, then drawing bad luck in the draft lottery, the Celtics completed the most dramatic turnaround in NBA history with a Game 6 blowout that was equally impressive.

It was the 17th title for the league’s most-decorated franchise, but it was the first for Pierce, Garnett and Allen; for Rivers, after nine full seasons as a coach and 13 as a player; and for the owners who named their group Banner 17 when they took over in 2002 and now have to consider whether they set their sights too low.

“If I changed it I would change it to Banner 20 to set the right tone,” owner Wyc Grousbeck said in an e-mail on Wednesday. “But Red always said the first one was his favorite, and in honor of our first one we are going to stay with Banner 17.”

Allen and Garnett did what Allen joked is sports champions’ present-day version of “We’re going to Disneyland.” They appeared Wednesday on the “Late Show with David Letterman,” where they reveled in their new title.

“How you feeling, champ?” Allen asked Garnett during their interview with Letterman.

“I feel good,” Garnett replied. “How you feeling, champ?”

Said Allen, “Oh, I’m doing good.”

It was also the first title for Celtics general manager Danny Ainge also since hanging up his sneakers and putting on a suit.

“I just feel happy for the players,” said Ainge, who won twice as a Celtics player in the 1980s. “They put so much time and hard work into it.”

So did Ainge.

His was an oddly timed hire, in the middle of the 2003 playoffs, and he immediately concluded that the team competing for a spot in the Eastern Conference finals wasn’t good enough to go much further. He began dismantling the roster, acquiring draft picks, prospects and expiring contracts without apparent regard to how they would fit together.

The Celtics did what they could last season to improve their chances in the draft lottery, but they landed the worst-case fifth pick in a two-star draft. Unable to convince Garnett to come to a struggling team, Ainge traded the No. 5 pick for Allen.

Suddenly, the Celtics’ prospects look a whole lot better to Garnett.

After signing him to a contract extension that would keep him in Boston through 2012—there was no deal without the extension—Ainge made an unprecedented 7-for-1 trade with Minnesota GM Kevin McHale to complete the new Big Three that won it all in its first try.

“It’s a team that’s easy to fall in love with,” Ainge said after the celebration. “They have a lot of guys who are real caring people, that care for one another genuinely. They play together and play hard and I’m glad to be a part of it.”

Ainge and Rivers have all five starters signed for two more seasons, and all but Allen are in the fold for 2010-11. Sixth man James Posey is the key free agent, though midseason acquisitions P.J. Brown and Sam Cassell are also unsigned for next year.

The bigger question is whether the Big Three, so hungry after a decade of watching other teams celebrate, can come back and do it again.

The original Big Three of Larry Bird, Robert Parish and McHale—the same McHale who handed Garnett to his former teammate—won three times in the 1980s, reaching the finals four years in a row from 1984-87, but never repeated.

“I know what it means to win a championship as a Celtic, and the place championships hold in the history of the franchise,” Bird, now an executive with the Indiana Pacers, said Wednesday. “I’m also pleased for Danny Ainge, Doc Rivers and his staff, knowing where they were last year and then making the decisions to put them in position to win the team’s 17th title.”

coreytaylor
06-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Long wait finally over for Garnett
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

BOSTON – Everyone else rushed the Garden floor, dissolving into a dizzy delirium. Even now, Kevin Garnett had his own path, his own private journey. He marched to center court, dropped to his knees and K.G. kissed the leprechaun.

All his life, he had been searching for somewhere to belong, something to make him forever. For so long, the Minnesota Timberwolves had no history. They had no banners. They had nothing but him. He had resisted this trade to the Boston Celtics, but Paul Pierce told him: Give this city a reason to love you, and they’ll never stop. He always found himself stealing glances to the banners above him, stopping a moment before flipping that No. 5 jersey over his head and running his fingers over that logo of his uniform.

He’s such an old school character born of a different day, a different time. He has such traditional values about basketball and family, but circumstance never allowed him to be part of something with staying power, something with fabric, something forever. Soon, he turned around and there was his conscious waiting for him, the ghost of Celtics past, the standard of it all.

“I got my own!” Garnett yelled into Bill Russell’s ear. “I got my own!”

“I hope we made you proud.”

Over that deafening din, Garnett had to hear that cackling laugh that forever echoes a Celtics’ championship celebration. Eventually, someone passed him the trophy in a private moment on the bench, and Garnett cradled it like a newborn, talking to the golden orb between kisses of its shiny dome.

The Celtics didn’t just beat the Lakers four games to two in the NBA Finals, they administered an ass-kicking of historic proportion. In losing 131-92 in Game 6, in quitting this way, the Lakers committed a stunning and shameful championship series crime.

Paul Pierce deserved the MVP of these NBA Finals, but Garnett changed everything for the Celtics. Garnett made the Celtics matter again. Around the rim, he inspired such visions of Russell, those long arms reaching forever to block shots and frighten foes.

Russell had a soft spot for Garnett, one of those young players who treated history with respect, who carried himself with so much honor and dignity. Russell had been blessed with Red Auerbach as the architect of his championship destiny and felt for Garnett that he had been cursed with Kevin McHale.

They had shared an awkward television moment on that cheerleading network a month ago, when Russell promised to give up one of his 11 rings should Garnett never earn his own. For the original Big Three’s greatness, Celtics championships were never won with defense. With Larry Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish, Boston had the greatest frontline in NBA history. They didn’t win with defense in the 1980s, the way that Russell’s teams did back in the ’50s and ’60s.

“It’s like coming into a frat,” Garnett said. He always dresses like an Ivy League undergrad, but he never spent a day on a college campus. The Timberwolves had been constructed for him to be its epicenter, but he’s always been the reluctant franchise player.

He fulfills the duties with ethic and leadership and accountability, but he never had what so many of his peers did: The shots, the stories, the spotlight. In all those photo spreads this season, all those magazine covers, did you ever notice Garnett posing alone? Never. Because he wouldn’t do it. K.G.’s ground rules never changed: Paul Pierce and Ray Allen had to be with him.

“They let you know right away here that it’s about tradition, and it’s about team,” Garnett said. “That’s right up my alley. I’ve never been a selfish guy, or a selfish player. It’s so much motivation coming in here every day with the banners on the wall, and seeing the ex-players coming in. As soon as you come through the doors, see those banners and see the jerseys and the pictures, you know that you’re around something special.”

It was past 1 a.m. now, and Garnett had been waiting for Ray Allen and Rajon Rondo to leave the interview podium. He carried with him a golden Spalding ball, and a tortured soul that finally seemed to let go. There’s intense, and there’s Garnett. All season, the man would sit wide awake on the team’s charter flights home, wired, and so everyone else – Doc Rivers included – fought off sleep out of respect for him.

“I ain’t gonna sleep all week!” he yelled backstage.

His wife rolled her eyes and laughed. He was spinning in circles, all that nervous energy manifesting itself into something seldom ever seen out of stone-cold serious K.G.: silliness. His generation of superstars had won their titles, and he was the best player of his era still waiting, still pining, still most doubted. When Allen returned behind the curtain, Garnett had one more long embrace for him, one final rhetorical question.

“What are they gonna say now, boy?”

Garnett had been so loyal in Minnesota. He always understood that part of the responsibility of a franchise player came in the good and bad times, and he never publicly pined for an escape hatch. In some ways, he had become so insulated in Minneapolis, he had lost perspective on the big world beyond the Twin Cities. It didn’t take long for Boston to fascinate him, throwing out a first pitch at Fenway Park to the kind of ovation that told him he was wanted, that he was home.

His sneaker company sent an oversized billboard to commemorate his trade to the Celtics a year ago and hung it outside the Boston Garden. Before training camp, the team shipped it to Garnett’s Malibu home and he couldn’t believe what covered it: “It has like 100,000 signatures on it,” he marveled. More or less, all the fans’ notes revolved around the same thing: Bring us that 17th banner.

Winning mattered so deeply to Garnett, because he always did the things that made it possible. He was the hardest worker, the model citizen, one of the most gifted 7-footers the sport’s ever seen. Still, his career carried a stigma, a label, a series of one-and-done performances in the Western Conference playoffs. To win at the ultimate level, well, the doubts that he could do that dogged him for most of his 13 years. They always wondered whether he contracted in tough times, whether he was wound so tight that he would implode over and over.

“You ever go to school and you had that bully mess with you every day?” Garnett asked late Tuesday night. “It’s like I knocked that bully’s ass out. I knocked his ass clean out. That’s what it feels like.”

So, Kevin Garnett grabbed that golden basketball and started his way back down the corridor of the Garden, down back toward the champagne celebration that washed him in validation. He could still hear that Russell cackle, smell that stale cigar smoke and Kevin Garnett marched down the corridor with a trophy and his own words still lingering in the air.

“I’ll be forever linked to this city,” said Garnett, a Celtics champion now and forever.

He got his own. Yes, he got his own.

Beneath those dusty 16 championship banners, K.G. dropped to his knees and kissed that parquet floor. Finally, Kevin Garnett belonged.

coreytaylor
06-19-2008, 12:29 PM
OT: Happy Birthday Pareng Big Cat!

The_Big_Cat
06-19-2008, 12:33 PM
The_Big_Cat, you seem to have access to a lot of NBA trivia. Am just curious about some stuff:

1) It's now 0-31, right? Meaning teams who fallen behind 1-3 in the NBA finals have continued to fail to come back and win the title. But have there been teams who've been able to extend the series to a game 7?

2) Seems the MVPs of recent regular seasons have also failed to bring their teams to the promise land, e.g. Kobe this year, Dirk in 2006. Has this been the case the past 10 seasons or so?

1. I'm not sure but from the ABC/ESPN commentary that's the new record, 0-31.
2. Shaquille O'Neal won the 2000 NBA Regular Season MVP, 2000 All-Star MVP plus 2000 NBA Championship & 2000 FInals MVP, which Michael Jordan did also in the 1996 season.

nastrans
06-19-2008, 12:49 PM
The past 10 years, only MJ in 1998, Shaq of 2000, and Tim Duncan of 2003 has done so in leading their teams to title.

The rest where failures

1999: Karl Malone (second round loss to Portland)
2001: Allen Iverson (lost NBA Finals to Lakers)
2002: Tim Duncan (second round loss to Lakers)
2004: Kevin Garnett (conference final loss to Lakers)
2005: Steve Nash (conference final loss to Spurs)
2006: Steve Nash (conference final loss to Mavs)
2007: Dirk Nowitzki (first round loss to Golden State)
2008: Kobe Bryant (lost NBA Finals to Celtics)

RockLobster
06-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the info, The_Big_Cat and nastrans. Hey, you may have missed my other question. Has any team been able to at least extend a finals series to a game 7 after falling behind 1-3?

amdgc82
06-19-2008, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info, The_Big_Cat and nastrans. Hey, you may have missed my other question. Has any team been able to at least extend a finals series to a game 7 after falling behind 1-3?

1951 NY Knickerbockers
1966 LA Lakers

The_Big_Cat
06-19-2008, 01:15 PM

1951 NY Knickerbockers
1966 LA Lakers

Boston beat LA in that Finals. Last year ni Red Auerbach sa Celtics.

amdgc82
06-19-2008, 01:21 PM

1951 NY Knickerbockers
1966 LA Lakers

Boston beat LA in that Finals. Last year ni Red Auerbach sa Celtics.

You are right. LA Lakers won games 5 (121-117) and game 6 (123-115) after trailing 1-3 forcing a game 7 but eventually lost the series via a 95-93 win by the Celtics in game 7.

RockLobster
06-19-2008, 01:25 PM
Wow, four decades ago pa pala nangyayari 'yan, and neither the Knicks nor the Lakers was able to sustain the run and win it all. So much history and statistics were really going against the Lakers this season after losing that one home game in their series against the Celtics.

Thanks again for the info! Appreciate the quick response.

stonecold316
06-19-2008, 05:35 PM
To pareng Pablo,

congrats uli! Gatorade naman!

hahahaha!

Sorry sa double post.

stonecold316

Jeep
06-19-2008, 05:39 PM
an online survey asked if there was anyone to blame on the lakers' camp for their huge debacle. as expected, on their side, everyone wanted kobe bryant's head lopped off.* ;D i chose the last option: the celtics were just too good.

be that as it may, randy hill of foxsports.com thinks the zen master may have a lot to answer for. for those of us here who love dissecting the game, this article should be more than enough to chew on.

=========================
Jackson didn't make right moves vs. Celtics

by Randy Hill

Veteran columnist Randy Hill is a frequent contributor to FOXSports.com

The decisive maneuver in an unexpected chess mismatch that erupted during the NBA Finals occurred during training camp.

Boston's Doc Rivers was able to feed off of the work done in October to score a coaching victory over one of the game's sideline superstars. And while it's true that the Los Angeles Lakers' eventual collapse was a team effort of player malfunction, the Celtics also enjoyed an advantage in tactics and adjustments.

Admittedly, many strategic devices that were attempted by Phil Jackson may have died from implementation failure, player stubbornness or player misunderstanding. But it's also a coach's responsibility to make sure the message is expertly imparted.

That charge typically plays to the strength of Jackson, who checks in as one of the leading psychologists in NBA coaching history. However, based on witnessing Paul Pierce outplaying Kobe Bryant, it also seems ridiculous to refuse acknowledgement that Jackson was out-schemed by Rivers.

Let's return to the training camp reference by noting the Celtics arrived for duty armed with incoming All-Stars named Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen. Teamed with Pierce, the recently dreadful C's automatically received expectations of Eastern Conference supremacy, if not total league domination.

Rivers also came to the party with Tom Thibodeau, a new associate head coach who earned considerable defensive chops as an apprentice to Jeff Van Gundy. While Thibodeau deserves the hosanna chorus bestowed upon him, and KG was the spiritual marshal for Boston's defensive commitment, Rivers is the guy signing off on game plans and adjustments.

While the Celtics were refining their ability to crowd the strong side, attack ball screens, deny dribble penetration, rotate, recover and take charges, the Lakers — based on the evidence — must have made only a brief investment in team defense during camp.

The only sign of a defensive system from Jackson is his traditional refusal to attack ball screens. Based on a reported disinterest in surrendering defensive rebounding position, his post players are instructed to back away from the screener, forcing the on-ball defender to deal with the screener and ballhandler on his own. This strategy often results in open jumpers for the ballhandler or easy pick-and-pop opportunities for the screener.

In the past, Jackson would make slight adjustments when needed, but his current roster does not include committed perimeter defenders like Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen or Ron Harper.
======================

read the rest of the article here: http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/8258306?MSNHPHMA . tom thibodeau was given more than passing mention during the coverage, as the camera zoomed on him and jeff van gundy commented on tom's contributions when the latter was coach van gundy's assistant with the houston rockets. any way we can get this guy to help out my favorite local varsity team? tutal, lagi namang nasa amerika yang mga yan. a cross-country trip to beantown would be a great investment! *;)

Dark Knight
06-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Boston fans, lets celebrate by saving this wallpaper!!!! Enjoy!

http://www.nba.com/media/celtics/wallpaper_finals2008_banner17_800600.jpg

Dark Knight
06-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Release Brown and Casell. Acquire Miller. He will change his mind now.

Anyone here knows the release date of the Boston Celtics 2008 Title DVD, please post. Cant wait, collectors item after 10 years.

Dark Knight
06-19-2008, 09:00 PM
Eto pa. Last na to. Promise. ;D

http://www.nba.com/media/celtics/wallpaper_garnett_pierce_allen_think_big800.jpg

nastrans
06-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Let's not forget Doc's first coaching stint in Orlando, when he almost took a team, considered to lose 60-plus games, to the playoffs in 2000 and earned a Coach of the Year award.

tigerman
06-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Sasha Vujacic guaranteed a title for the Lakers next year, are you kidding me? :o

Even the great ones rarely do that.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

vickster
06-19-2008, 09:41 PM

Anyone here knows the release date of the Boston Celtics 2008 Title DVD, please post. Cant wait, collectors item after 10 years.

Release date in the States is July 15. Gotta get the Sports Illustrated commemorative edition too!

cub
06-19-2008, 10:08 PM

you mean this one? ;D
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/kukie_momon/boston.jpg

Dark Knight
06-19-2008, 11:03 PM

you mean this one?* *;D
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i62/kukie_momon/boston.jpg

What the............thats fast. ;D

Dark Knight
06-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Sasha Vujacic guaranteed a title for the Lakers next year, are you kidding me?* :o

Even the great ones rarely do that.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

he's still suffering from shock and trauma. :D

BigBlue
06-19-2008, 11:46 PM
tingin ko, ang nagpapanalo sa celtics, yung "soft touch" ni big baby glen davis:

http://f3.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nba_experts__7/ept_sports_nba_experts-380175508-1213798640.jpg?ymyzqj_CyBlwMZ1P

coreytaylor
06-20-2008, 04:07 PM

Acquire Robert Horry! ;D

The_Big_Cat
06-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Since Detroit is in the rebuilding mode, maybe, KG could invite his good friend Rasheed Wallace.

yungha
06-20-2008, 08:51 PM
would anyone know if there'll be another replay of game 6? waited 22 years for this and dang i was out of town when it happened.

tigerman
06-20-2008, 09:49 PM
^ BTV is currently showing it right now.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

MonL
06-21-2008, 06:49 AM
Mop-up operations:

Phil Jackson, had he succeeded, would have surpassed Red Auerbach's record of nine titles this season.

As the Lakers said "not in our house" to a Celtic celebration at Staples Center in Game 5, Boston replied in the same way in a most brutal manner to Jackson's attempt at The New Boston Garden in Game 6.

No way Jackson would have won and gained the ultimate comeuppance.

Not when the hallowed parquet floor has been named "Red Auerbach Court" and bears Red's signature.

MonL
06-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Ray Allen and KG with David Letterman:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm3JNH6HCtY

Allen: How you doin', Champ?
KG: Doin' fine. How you doin', Champ?

;D ;D ;D

Kid Cubao
06-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Since Detroit is in the rebuilding mode, maybe, KG could invite his good friend Rasheed Wallace.

what, and ruin boston's winning chemistry?!? it's like putting ketchup on vanilla ice cream.

The_Big_Cat
06-21-2008, 02:45 PM

what, and ruin boston's winning chemistry?!? it's like putting ketchup on vanilla ice cream.

I don't think it ruined Detroit's chances then when they acquired Rasheed in February 2004 and enroute to an NBA Championship for the Pistons in June.

coreytaylor
06-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Lakers believe future bright

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP)—The healing process has begun for the Los Angeles Lakers.

Despite their loss to the Boston Celtics in the NBA finals, which included a 39-point defeat in the decisive Game 6, the Lakers believe their future is bright.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson and general manager Mitch Kupchak each said Friday afternoon that they believe the team can be a contender for the next five to six years.

“We’re not about looking back at what we did wrong,” Jackson said. “We’re about looking forward and seeing if we can do it again.”

Jackson said his message to his players during season-ending meetings Thursday and Friday was simple and straightforward.

“How can you get better to help this team next year?” he said. “They have to put together a summer that brings them back here and makes them better basketball players.”

The Celtics exposed at least two of the Los Angeles’ shortcomings during the finals: defense and rebounding. The Lakers had difficulty matching up with Boston’s stronger and more aggressive front line, including Kevin Garnett and Kendrick Perkins.

Kupchak believes the answer to the Lakers’ woes will be solved by the return of Andrew Bynum from a partially dislocated left kneecap, which sidelined him for the final three months of the regular season plus the playoffs.

The 20-year-old Bynum was in the midst of a breakout season, averaging 13.1 points, 10.2 rebounds and 2.1 blocked shots, when he was injured Jan. 13.

If Bynum returns to form as anticipated, then he would join with fellow 7-footer Pau Gasol and 6-10 forward Lamar Odom to form one of the biggest front lines in the NBA. Bynum would play center, with Gasol shifting to power forward from center and Odom moving to small forward from power forward.

It’s also possible that league MVP Kobe Bryant could play small forward, with the playmaking Odom switching to a guard spot alongside Derek Fisher, Kupchak said.

“I think Phil will be challenged to get really creative because it is a team that would be very talented and versatile. I think training camp would be a very important time for him to test out what he’s decided to do over the summer,” Kupchak said.

The Lakers have only a second-round pick (58th overall) in next week’s draft, but they might look to move up if they can make a deal, Kupchak said.

He also said the Lakers plan to re-sign restricted free agents Sasha Vujacic and Ronny Turiaf, but they probably won’t be active in pursuing other team’s free agents when the signing period begins July 1.

“I do believe the future for this team is bright going forward,” Kupchak said. “I would hope that we have the ability to be in the hunt every year in the immediate future.”

tigerman
06-21-2008, 03:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UUBC8NoQgA&feature=related

Paging Vince McMahon, Brian Scalabrine is talking trash. ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

MonL
06-22-2008, 12:41 AM

I don't think it ruined Detroit's chances then when they acquired Rasheed in February 2004 and enroute to an NBA Championship for the Pistons in June.

Unfortunately they thought Larry Brown was the best coach they ever had, and they played hard for him. And that thought ruined their relationship with Flip Saunders, as Flip didn't measure up, if you'll believe Chris Webber.

flsfnoeraekadad
06-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Gusto ko lang magsabi ng congrats sa Boston

OK, yun lang. Next year ulit! ;D

coreytaylor
06-29-2008, 09:35 AM
^ tagal mong nawala ha...welcome back. ;D

flsfnoeraekadad
06-29-2008, 11:27 AM
^ tagal mong nawala ha...welcome back. ;D

Matagal akong nagdamdam. Kumbaga sa 5 stages, nasa acceptance na ko ;D

coreytaylor
06-29-2008, 11:39 AM
haha ok. anyway, its just a game. anyway, the lakers is the team to beat next year.* ;)

bchoter
07-01-2008, 01:34 PM
^ And they will be beaten. Ooops biro lang flsf... hanap ka daw ni chuchi :D

flsfnoeraekadad
07-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Dumaan ako sa mall kanina, anak ng putsa ang daming naka-Celtics na jersey! Daming sumakay sa bandwagon!

Keber lang ako, suot ko yung Kobe shirt ko eh. LOL ;D