PDA

View Full Version : Your PBL 2008 Lipovitan Cup Mythical 5 & MVP

Joescoundrel
04-17-2008, 11:16 PM
With the 2008 PBL Lipovitan Cup action getting hotter and heavier who are the players you think deserve to be on the Mythical 5 and who is your MVP?

Think of this as a dynamic thread throughout the entire Lipovitan Cup so don't be bashful about making changes as play continues. Also do not be boxed in by listed positions, mix and match as much as you want and designate players on your own if you wish, i.e. Gabe Norwood is always introduced as a guard but to my mind he is really more of a forward, Chito Jaime usually is a designated center but I believe he is more of a forward as well. Lastly do not focus just on the numbers. Numbers are good and you may want to do strictly number-crunching but if there are players you think should be on your list although they do not have hot-hot numbers it is totally up to you.

Right now these guys are my Mythical 5: Jayson Castro of Harbour and Gabe Norwood of Hapee at guard, Mark Borboran and Larry Rodriguez of Hapee at forward, Chito Jaime of Toyota at center. These players are total contributors who fill up entire box scores and still find ways to help their teams win even when they have statistical off-nights.

My MVP right now is Jayson Castro, who might likely make history as the first grand slam MVP winner in PBL history.

joelex
04-19-2008, 02:55 AM
At the rate Harbour Center is going, a 5th title should be in their hands sooner than later. Although their star studded lineup may suggest an expected performance, I believe this squad is just more lethal because of their focus for 40 minutes of intense ball. Check out their scores, and this team is just a notch above everybody else. Every player knows and has accepted their roles, even Sol Mercado, who carried much fo the burden last conference when their core was on loan for the SEA games, has deferred to 2-time MVP Jason Castro and has not been heard griping about lost playing time. Tang and Vergara set the table, Castro and Mercado penetrates, Chan and Fernandez keeps the defense honest, Alonzo, Gaco, Belga and ex-pro Gamboa are just unforgiving in the paint. From game to game we would see Coach Gallent pull some "3rd stringers" in Ababou, Malabanan, Asoro or Bautista depending on match-ups.

Mikee Romero has done a wonderful job of recruiting and implementing a very good mantra of no letting up til the buzzer sounds and not playing down to the competition. Coach Gallent also deserves major credit and his style of coaching makes me believe he can elevate the performance of the SS Stags in the NCAA.

Little wonder do we have that this franchise has DOMINATED the PBL for 4 straight conferences and the 5th coming soon. :)

The_Big_Cat
04-19-2008, 12:38 PM
My mythical five:

Solomon Mercado (guard)
Jason Castro (guard)
Gabe Norwood (forward)
Jervy Cruz (forward)
Larry Rodriguez (Center)

MVP:
Gabe Norwood

bunso
05-02-2008, 11:43 AM
mytical five

jayson castro
noy javier
gabe norwood
luanzon
jerby cruz

bchoter
05-02-2008, 12:52 PM
5 - Nat Cruz
4/5 Chito Jaime
4/3 - Mark Borboran
2/1 - Jason Castro
1 - Gabe Norwood

MVP - Jason Castro

Sir Joe padagdag lang ng second team:
5 - Ronnie Matias
4/5 Larry Rodriguez
5/4/3/2/1 :D Dondon Villamin
2 - Kelvin Dela Pena
1/2 - Noy Javier

(Pano na si Bonbon)

eightyfiver
05-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Chester Taylor
Jervy Cruz
Dylan Ababou
Francis Allera
Japs Cuan

bendy
05-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Mythical 5

Center:Jervy CruZ
Forward:Chito JAime
Forward:Jonathan Aldave
Guard:Gabe Norwood
Guard:Jason Castro

MVP:Chito JAime
:)

erichubert
05-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Mythical 5
g- Jason Castro
g- Chris Luanzon
f- Gabe Norwood
f- Neil Raneses
c- Chito Jaime

MVP- Jason Castro simply because I believe that the winner should come from Harbour Center since they have been so dominant this conference.

Joescoundrel
05-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Should Solomon Mercado be considered for MVP? He does not seem very dominant or MVP-like although he has been getting plenty of minutes in critical junctures at the point.

gameface_one
05-19-2008, 08:04 AM
Norwood or Castro for PBL MVP
By Joey Villar
Monday, May 19, 2008
philstar.com

The Most Valuable Player in the PBL Lipovitan Amino Sports Cup will be a toss-up between Hapee Toothpaste’s talented Fil-Am Gabe Norwood and Harbour Centre hotshot Jason Castro.

The high-leaping Norwood has a slight edge over Castro in the statistical department with a league-high 2.1 steals, second-best 7.4 rebounds, fourth-best 4.9 assists, fifth-best 13.1 points and nearly a block (top 10) a game points in 18 games.

The former George Mason standout’s effort was enough to power the Complete Protectors to a second straight finals appearance and third overall in the last four conferences.

Castro, who won the award twice before, has averaged 15.2 points – second only to Noosa Shoes’ Noy Javier with 17.7 points –and 5.2 boards and 4.1 assists in 18 matches to help the four-peat champions Batang Pier book a fifth straight championship stint.

Castro would have an edge over Norwood if league statisticians count the won game-points since the Mikee Romero-owned franchise has won 16 of its 18 games, including a three-game semifinal sweep of San Mig Coffee while Hapee had a 13-6 (win-loss) slate.

Statistics account for two-thirds of the percentage to become an MVP while the other third will be taken from player and media votes, which recently drew to a close.

In the voting, Castro and Norwood are sure to get a fair share since the two players have good rapport with players and media.

Other long shot picks to snare the award are Javier, rebound leader Jam Alfad of Pharex, assists leader Ronnie Bughao of Pharex and shot block leader Jayson Ballesteros of Burger King.

The league will announce the winner in Wednesday’s Game 3 at the Batangas City Sports Complex.

Joescoundrel
05-19-2008, 10:23 AM
May I suggest that this thread be merged with the thread on the PBL Lipovitan Sports Cup MVP and Mythical 5 thread.

The_Big_Cat
05-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Castro has won already Two-MVPs and multiple championships.
This PBL conference's MVP award is looking towards Gabe Norwood.
:)

gameface_one
05-21-2008, 08:48 AM
PBL honors top performers
mb.com.ph

The Philippine Basketball League (PBL) began honoring the top individuals who excelled both on and off the court in the season about to end.

Representing Commissioner Chino Trinidad in yesterday’s PSA Forum at the Shakey’s U.N. Avenue branch, executive director Butch Maniego bared the members of the league’s 2nd Mythical Team composed of San Mig Coffee duo Neil Raneses and Bonbon Custodio, Harbour Centre’s backcourt partner of TY Tang and Solomon Mercado and Hapee rookie big man Jervy Cruz.

The players were all handed out beautifully crafted trophies during the hour-long presentation held during the session sponsored by Shakey’s, the Philippine Amusements and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR), Accel, Brickroad gym, Aspen spa and MedCentral Medical Clinics and Diagnostic Center.

The awards rite came on the eve of Game 1 of the Lipovitan Amino Sports Cup finals between defending champion Harbour Centre and Hapee Toothpaste.

"The league will announce the 1st Mythical Team on Game 2 while the winner of the Most Valuable Player (MVP) award will be known on Game 3," said Maniego, appearing in the weekly forum along with Hapee coach Louie Alas and players Gabe Norwood, Francis Mercado, Mark Borboran and Cruz, Harbour Centre mentor Jorge Gallent and players Chad Alonzo, Mercado, Tang and Castro.

Norwood and Castro are the top two players crowding out for the PBL’s highest individual honor.

Also honored were selected individuals who were the recipient of the 1st Commissioner’s Choice Awards. Pharex Medics coach Carlo Tan was feted with the Quotable Coach award for his accessibility and being accommodated to media personnel covering the games, Cholo Villanueva of ToyotaOtis was given the Academic All-Star Achievement award for completing two degrees (elementary education and psychology) in De La Salle while playing at the same time, Chito Jaime also of Toyota-Otis was conferred the Quantum Leap Award for taking his game to the next level this season, and Burger King’s Khiel Misa was adjudged the Defensive Stopper.

With the exception of Tan, all three awardees were present in the same forum.

Maniego also took the occasion and bared that Games 2 and 3 of the bestof-five title series is likewise to be played on the road. Game 2 is set in Trece Martires, Cavite while Game 3 will be in Tanuan, Batangas.

"These are areas na hindi naman malayo sa Manila. Besides, playing out-oftown is a tremendous experience not only for the league, but for the players themselves," he said.

bchoter
05-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I think Jervy got his slot mostly because of Hapee's good record and reputation. I would have picked Larry Rodriguez ahead of him because in some Hapee games coach Louie Alas would turn to Rodriquez in end games and he's delivered. It would be an injustice to Larry Rodriguez if he fails to land a mythical team slot. But I'm happy for Jervy :)

sherwin152003
05-21-2008, 05:18 PM
i think its going to be gabe norwood... ryt now, gabe already show his stuff and ryt now he is go to guy of hapee.. base on stats, gabe is an all around performer.. scoring, rebound, assists or even steals..

bchoter
05-22-2008, 10:41 AM
The first game of the finals just proved that Larry Rodrgiuez deserves to be in the mythical selection.

The_Big_Cat
05-22-2008, 03:27 PM
Larry Rodriguez actually got injured early in the eliminations round for Hapee. That is why we saw a lot of minutes for Jervy Cruz then.

Solomon Mercado has been playing extremely well this conference (his 2nd). We might see him in the mythical five.
Ronnie Bughao as well.

wanna
05-23-2008, 03:33 PM
my mythical five

norwood,gabriel daniel
castro,jason
ballesteros,
misa,khiel
custodio,bonbon...(la na cohng maisip... ;D)

mvp: gabe norwood.because just by his presence in the court, hapee is playin' different ball game.
he has terrifying dunks, assists, rebounds and of course, score. :-*

The_Big_Cat
05-25-2008, 08:52 AM
The 2008 PBL Lipovitan Cup Mythical Five are:

Jason Castro (guard, Harbour Centre)
Gabe Norwood (guard, Hapee)
Larry Rodriguez (center, Hapee)
Chad Alonzo (forward, Harbour Centre)
Mark Borboran (forward, Hapee)

It was given during halftime of game 2 of the finals, Hapee vs Harbour.

gameface_one
05-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Norwood or Castro for PBL MVP
By Joey Villar
Monday, May 26, 2008
philstar.com

Hapee’s Gabe Norwood is trying to become the first rookie to win the MVP award in years while Harbour Centre’s Jason Castro is trying to become only the second player in PBL history to win the MVP crown three times.

But only one between Norwood and Castro would be selected as the league’s best individual performer when the PBL officially hands out the prestigious award today at the Jose P. Laurel Gym in Tanauan City, Batangas.

The 6-foot-5 Norwood leads Castro in almost every statistical department as the former George Mason standout was tops in steals, third in assists, fourth in rebounds, fifth in scoring and is in the top 10 in blocks.

The only advantage Castro, who will soon suit up for the Singapore Slingers in the Australia-based National Basketball League in August, has over Norwood was his scoring where he is No. 2 with 15.1 points per match norm, second only to Noosa Shoes standout Noy Javier’s 17.7.

And if the league counts the won game points, Castro would sure benefit from this since the Batang Pier have won 16 out of 18 games before the finale while Norwood’s squad prevailed in only 13 of its 16 outings.

Both Norwood and Castro were expected to draw a fair share in the ballots since the two soft-spoken players have good rapport with their fellow players and media.

The MVP will be determined based on statistics (two-thirds) and the other from the polling, which concluded after the semifinals.

gameface_one
05-27-2008, 08:47 AM
Castro nips Norwood for MVP award

By REY C. LACHICA
mb.com.ph

TANAUAN CITY — Harbour Centre guard Jason Castro was named the Philippine Basketball League‘s 2007-2008 season Most Valuable Player yesterday.

The 5-foot-9 Castro beat out former RP teammate and Hapee Toothpaste Fil-Am Gabe Norwood on the strength of media and player votes to become the league’s second three-time MVP awardee, matching the feat set by Tanduay’s Erick Menk in the late 90s.

Castro was second behind the 6-foot-5 Norwood in the statistical points.

"Ako ay nagpapasalamat sa lahat ng tumulong sa akin para manalo ulit. Ako ay lubos na nagpapasalamat sa mga teammates ko, kay coach Jorge (Gallent) at sa management lalong lalo na kina Sir Mikee (Romero) and manager Erick (Arejola)," said Castro before the tipoff of the crucial Game 3 of the PBL Lipovitan Amino Sports Cup title series at the Pres. Jose P. Laurel gym here.

Castro got 856 points from the stats and 144.2 from the votes of players and media to garner a total of 1000.2 points against Norwood’s 982.41.

The 6-foot-5 Norwood earned a front-running 877.1 points from the stats but received only 105.3 from the media and players to miss the award that mattered most.

Castro’s MVP award prevented Norwood from harvesting all the PBL awards. He had earlier clinched the Fantastic Freshman and Fan Favorite awards aside from being named to the PBL First team along with Castro.

"Jason deserves his third MVP trophy because he really worked hard for it. He has been a phenomenal not only here but also overseas. He actually raised the bar for guards for his quickness, leaping ability and craftsmanship," Romero said,

Romero, who arrived Sunday from the United States, said Castro will be missed by the team when he brings his act in Australia’s National Basketball League beginning in September.

Castro signed a deal early this month with the Singapore Slingers, thus becoming the first Filipino to play in the NBL.

"We will surely miss him not only because he’s a good and exciting player but also because he’s a good person. He’s very humble that’s why we like him very much," Romero said.

Castro has also set a mark by being in the All-PBL First Team a remarkable five straight times, a record that that could be difficult to break.

Curiously, Castro won his first MVP title while still playing for Hapee-Philippine Christian University in 2006 and then during the 2007 Unity Cup where the Batang Pier scored a 3-0 sweep over Cebuana Lhuillier.

"I’m going to cherish my PBL memories wherever I go. Again, thank you very much for all the help you extended to me," said Castro amid the deafening applause.

Schortsanitis
05-27-2008, 10:23 AM
The problem w/ Gabe last PBL conference was that he seemed to lack the aggressiveness on offense to take over his team, score when he needs to whenever his team badly needs it on the court. Its not a question on talent, he has the height, coordination & athletic ability to do that in the PBL, but he just hasn't been doing it. It's just not something he's used to, I guess. Most of the time in college he was tasked to help his team off the bench, & being the team's main man on offense is not something he used to do there a lot, if ever. So now that he is being asked to be the team's main man, he's having some problems adjusting, unlike, say, Jason Castro.

In fairness, though, Jason has played for years in the country, & is used to being the main man on offense for PCU before in the NCAA, to the Harbour Center team now in the PBL.