PDA

View Full Version : UAAP SEASON '71 GAME VENUES.

kamsss
05-25-2008, 05:58 PM
philsports arena venue? ??? san un? help. huhu. i thinK NAS, RMC, SAN JUAN ARENA, BIG DOME ang mas matinong venues ;D ;D

john_paul_manahan
05-25-2008, 06:50 PM
that's the ultra. it's in pasig. no finality with the sked. once final, gameface would know about it.

yellow_we
05-25-2008, 07:29 PM
philsports arena venue? ??? san un? help. huhu. i thinK NAS, RMC, SAN JUAN ARENA, BIG DOME ang mas matinong venues ;D ;D

To answer, (well it was just answered) yes, it's formerly known as ULTRA located in Pasig.

Did you just say NAS is a better venue?? well, think again.. ;D maybe you were not able to hear the alleged controversy happened on that venue during one of the juniors' games wherein the lockers of this certain team got ransacked and lost their valuables, wallets and cellphones to name a few. ;D Though this will really be an advantage for Manilenos like me and for the Manila based schools (primary reason why they chose NAS). But then again, safety does matter! Whatever it takes, this should be prioritized!! ;)

sa_pula
05-26-2008, 12:00 AM
buti wala sa cuneta masyadong malayo pag sa cuneta. tska kanina nood ako ng pba sa cuneta venue nag official time out yun pala may tulo sa roof. tagulan pa naman season ng uaap.

flsfnoeraekadad
05-26-2008, 01:54 AM
Araneta, Arena, NAS.

The_Big_Cat
05-26-2008, 07:56 AM
philsports arena venue? ??? san un? help.

To answer, (well it was just answered) yes, it's formerly known as ULTRA located in Pasig.

I guess he is too young to know that. U.L.T.R.A - University of Life Theatrical & Recreational Arena.

Dark Knight
05-26-2008, 08:01 AM

I guess he is too young to know that. U.L.T.R.A - University of Life Theatrical & Recreational Arena.

Oooohhh, that was sooooo 80's. ;D

GHRanger
05-26-2008, 05:56 PM

Oooohhh, that was sooooo 80's.* ;D

I actually thought it was Track and Recreational Arena. :) Nagaral pa ako ng summer classes doon for computer hahaha.... during breaks nanonood kami ng taping ng batibot. :) Sorry OT.

yellow_we
05-26-2008, 09:43 PM

NYAHA! nice one TBC!! ;D ;D

The_Big_Cat
05-27-2008, 10:16 AM
I actually thought it was Track and Recreational Arena. :) Nagaral pa ako ng summer classes doon for computer hahaha.... during breaks nanonood kami ng taping ng batibot. :) Sorry OT.

GHRanger, nilagyan mo naman ng track & field ang loob ng basketball arena. ;D
Nasa labas ang track & field.

The ULTRA, back then, was home to the PBA from 1985 to 1991. It is a good place to play basketball and a good venue for the UAAP.

bluescion
05-27-2008, 10:30 AM
the best venue for uaap is araneta or the arena....sana wag na sa NAS kasi napaka bulok.....sana mamili ang UP ng maganda naman since big year nila.

GHRanger
05-27-2008, 01:33 PM
I actually thought it was Track and Recreational Arena. :)* Nagaral pa ako ng summer classes doon for computer hahaha.... during breaks nanonood kami ng taping ng batibot. :) Sorry OT.

GHRanger, nilagyan mo naman ng track & field ang loob ng basketball arena. ;D
Nasa labas ang track & field.

The ULTRA, back then, was home to the PBA from 1985 to 1991. It is a good place to play basketball and a good venue for the UAAP.

I know -- because ULTRA as I understood it before -- was the whole complex, including the swimming pools. :) I stand corrected then. Isa pang league that made ULTRA it's home was -- STAR OLYMPICS / STARLYMPICS.

BigBlue
05-27-2008, 02:03 PM
according to the Philsports Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhilSports_Complex) entry, it's actually University of Life Track and field and Arena (ULTRA) Sports Complex. ito din actually ang alam ko. ngayon ko lang narinig na may Theater pala sa ULTRA.

The_Big_Cat
05-27-2008, 03:52 PM
^I stand corrected.

In the 70s, they used to have cultural shows there hence the name "Theatrical".

batangueño
05-27-2008, 04:16 PM
ULTRA? I thought the tentative venues this coming UAAP season are Araneta Coliseum, The Arena in San Juan and, allegedly upon the request of Manila-based UAAP member universities, the Ninoy Aquino Stadium? ???

stonecold316
05-27-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm not in favor na magkaroon ng game sa NAS. hindi talaga safe dun.
stonecold316

batangueño
05-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Tentative alternate venue na daw for Season 71 ang ULTRA. Wala na daw laro sa The Arena in San Juan at sa Ninoy Aquino Stadium. Ang matindi nito, sa opening weekend at sa last two days ng first round lang daw gagamitin ang Araneta Coliseum tapos the rest ay sa ULTRA na. ???

BigBlue
05-29-2008, 05:13 PM
ULTRA, problema nanaman sa parking at sa scalper. sang venue ka naman nakakita ng sold out na, pero sa tabi mismo ng ticketing window, andun si mamang scalper nagbebenta ng ticket, kakwentuhan pa si mamang pulis.

Well, at least we get a decent venue, so much better than Ninoy. But can the UAAP at least petition the Pasig City govt to enact an ordinance against scalping?

batangueño
05-29-2008, 05:28 PM
Maganda na sana yung The Arena in San Juan as a choice eh. Problema lang talaga doon sa The Arena is yung limited seating capacity na yung big games tulad ng DLSU vs UST, UE vs ADMU, DLSU vs FEU, FEU vs ADMU ay mukhang hindi kasya doon. Mas madali pati puntahan ang The Arena kaysa sa ULTRA.

I also feel that the big games I have mentioned in the first paragraph should be played at the Araneta Coliseum instead of having it at ULTRA. Ewan ko lang pero feeling ko "experimentation mode" yata ang UAAP sa first round this coming season kaya puro ULTRA yung venue tapos opening weekend at last two days ng first round lang gagamitin ang Araneta. ???

Guardian Angel
05-29-2008, 05:41 PM
Well, those are arguably the 2 best venues in Metro Manila now. Araneta is obviously the best. ULTRA stadium is OK. It's the parking that's a killer. DOn't you just hate those watch your car boys who demand for their tip, in the amount they want. They usually charge 40 for parking on the road.

bluewing
05-29-2008, 05:44 PM
Well, those are arguably the 2 best venues in Metro Manila now. Araneta is obviously the best. ULTRA stadium is OK. It's the parking that's a killer. DOn't you just hate those watch your car boys who demand for their tip, in the amount they want. They usually charge 40 for parking on the road.

do what i do. park ka sa megamall, tapos taxi na lang. o kaya sa opisina ng utol ko. sagot pa ng kumpanya nya. hehehe.

batangueño
05-29-2008, 05:45 PM
If the parking at the vicinity of the ULTRA is already and the notorious scalpers are already a problem, what more the inaccessibility of the place for sports fans and students who depend solely on public transportation. ULTRA is way off from the route of public utility vehicles that play the area.

THE ONLOOKER
05-29-2008, 10:09 PM
What can we do it is already decided. Thanks to UP for that. ::)

How can an ordinary student (like me) reach ULTRA safely and the cheaper way possible? From Manila City Hall, Taft Ave., etc.

batangueño
05-29-2008, 10:15 PM
What can we do it is already decided. Thanks to UP for that.* ::)

How can an ordinary student (like me) reach ULTRA safely and the cheaper way possible? From Manila City Hall, Taft Ave., etc.

In fairness to UP, they have been very democratic as far as the selection of the venues are concerned. They even entertained the suggestion of Manila-based UAAP members of having some games held at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium. Oh well, we will never know what might have transpired during the first UAAP Season 71 board meeting that led to the selection of the ULTRA as a tentative venue for next season.

However, I still wished The Arena in San Juan was the one chosen as the venue give its relative accessibility to public transportation, ample parking spaces and good physical condition. An even split between the Araneta Coliseum and The Arena in San Juan would have been a better decision, with big games being played at Araneta while the small- to medium-sized games held at The Arena.

bchoter
05-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Well, those are arguably the 2 best venues in Metro Manila now. Araneta is obviously the best.* ULTRA stadium is OK.* It's the parking that's a killer.* DOn't you just hate those watch your car boys who demand for their tip, in the amount they want.* They usually charge 40 for parking on the road.*

do what i do. park ka sa megamall, tapos taxi na lang. o kaya sa opisina ng utol ko. sagot pa ng kumpanya nya. hehehe.
^ * sigh* I learned the hard way. There's also an FX terminal at the back of Megamall that passes by the ULTRA.

Someimes the proximity of good drinking/dining places alone outweigh the negatives ;)

In any case, saan pa man yan dadayuhin pa rin ng hardcore yan :D

The_Big_Cat
05-30-2008, 11:57 AM
UP is going to be the host.

I think they won their 1986 UAAP title in ULTRA.

batangueño
05-30-2008, 04:44 PM

Well, if I am not mistaken, the Maroons under then Coach Joe Lipa won the 1986 UAAP men's basketball championship title at a game held in ULTRA. :)

Still, mahirap pa din talagang puntahan ang ULTRA kung wala kang sariling sasakyan. Ewan ko nga lang kung dumadaan malapit sa ULTRA yung FX na Pasig Palengke galing sa Megamall. ???

JonarSabilano
05-30-2008, 06:36 PM
Well, those are arguably the 2 best venues in Metro Manila now. Araneta is obviously the best.* ULTRA stadium is OK.* It's the parking that's a killer.* DOn't you just hate those watch your car boys who demand for their tip, in the amount they want.* They usually charge 40 for parking on the road.*

^ * sigh* I learned the hard way. There's also an FX terminal at the back of Megamall that passes by the ULTRA.

Someimes the proximity of good drinking/dining places alone outweigh the negatives ;)

In any case, saan pa man yan dadayuhin pa rin ng hardcore yan :D

One word: Aysee.

bchoter
05-30-2008, 06:45 PM

Well, if I am not mistaken, the Maroons under then Coach Joe Lipa won the 1986 UAAP men's basketball championship title at a game held in ULTRA. :)

Still, mahirap pa din talagang puntahan ang ULTRA kung wala kang sariling sasakyan. Ewan ko nga lang kung dumadaan malapit sa ULTRA yung FX na Pasig Palengke galing sa Megamall. ???
You can get off right at the doorsteps of the ULTRA. Don;t be surprised if your door will be opened for you as you get off.... uper uper... ;)

batangueño
05-30-2008, 09:53 PM
You can get off right at the doorsteps of the ULTRA. Don;t be surprised if your door will be opened for you as you get off.... uper uper... ;)

:o

Ganyan din po ba kalala ang problema ng scalpers sa ULTRA, Manong? Akala ko pa naman sa Pasay lang talamak ang mga yan. Pati ba naman sa Pasig? :o

BigBlue
05-31-2008, 01:27 AM
may nakausap na kaming pulis na nakabantay sa labas ng ULTRA dati. malapit lang kasi sa EPD sa ULTRA kaya kadalasan may mga naka-assign dun. ang sabi, sa QC lang kasi daw mayroon ordinansa laban sa scalping.

pablohoney
05-31-2008, 10:48 AM
may nakausap na kaming pulis na nakabantay sa labas ng ULTRA dati. malapit lang kasi sa EPD sa ULTRA kaya kadalasan may mga naka-assign dun. ang sabi, sa QC lang kasi daw mayroon ordinansa laban sa scalping.

This is true.
Well at least sa ULTRA, those damn scalpers open the car door for you. ;D

And then steal your spare tire. >:(

nastrans
06-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Meron pa nga e, pag baba ko ng trike sa ULTRA galing Oranbo, biglang lapit saken si Mamang Scalper ang kulit panay "Sir Tiket po sa game", ayun nilabas ko press ID ko at nilubayan na ako. :D

bchoter
06-13-2008, 04:16 PM
^ Buti hindi ka niya inalok na ibenta mo sa kanya yung press ID mo :D

nastrans
06-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Mga scalper, ma-Cuneta o ULTRA, mas makulit pa sa mga nagtitinda ng DVD....

"Sir Dibidi Dibidi bold bold Dibidi...." LOL :D

batangueño
06-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Mga Kabayan, mukhang kaya hindi magagamit ng UAAP ang Araneta Coliseum for much of the first round is because naunahan ng Disney (High School Musical) ang UAAP na magpa-reserve ng Araneta. I guess I could not blame UP for selecting ULTRA as an alternate venue since the venue, despite its relative inaccessibility from public transportation and the prevalence of scalpers in the area, can hold both small games and big games (e.g. DLSU vs UST, UE vs ADMU, DLSU vs FEU, UP vs ADMU).

I wonder how big UAAP games can be accommodated at The Arena in San Juan, which can only seat up to 5,000 spectators. Imposible naman na paalisin yung mga nanood ng first game na interesado ding manood ng second game, hindi ba?

Sayang talaga yung The Arena. Ngayon lang sana magkakaroon ulit ng talagang magandang venue ang UAAP games in, well, three years (2005: Blue Eagle Gym; 2006: Ninoy and ULTRA; 2007: Ninoy and Cuneta) kung natuloy ang The Arena in San Juan this year.

nastrans
06-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Halong Disney, music events, at most likely dahil kasagsagan na ng Finals ng PBA Fiesta Conference ang mga stages ng July and early August.

batangueño
06-13-2008, 05:56 PM
Kabayang nastrans, hopefully by the second round of games, most UAAP games, especially the big ones, will be held at the Araneta Coliseum. However, I have been hearing rumors that second round games could be divided between the Araneta Coliseum and the ULTRA except for that one game that would be played at the Ninoy Aquino Stadium. ???

nastrans
06-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Naku kung may isang gameday sa Ninoy, bakit dun pa, nung napadaan ako para sa isang karatedo na event may ilang upuan sa lower box (o kulungan? :D) na wala na at tinibag, mukhang diniskitahan pa ng mga ilan ilan dun, kaya kalat kalat ang bungi na upuan doon.

batangueño
06-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Kabayang nastrans, ibig mo bang sabihin ay mukhang under renovation ang Ninoy ngayon? :o

Ewan ko lang pero sana talaga wala nang laro sa Ninoy sa second round. However, I am still hoping that the smaller UAAP games will be played at The Arena in San Juan instead of the ULTRA. ;)

nastrans
06-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Kababayang (at Kapwa Lasalista, ibang branch nga lang) Batangueno, tingin ko lang kung irerenovate yun baka typical lang na pintura at mga kung anu anung ritwal na renovation, parang nangyayari lang nakatiwangwang lang ang Ninoy, pero kahit papano malamig pa din aircon doon. :D

Ang UAAP naman nagbabago din ng sked yan, malay natin second round napagdesisyunan nila na sa Arena ang lugar.

batangueño
06-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Kabayan at Kapwa Lasalista na nastrans, kabisado mo na talaga ang style ng PSC, ano? Palagi naman silang ganun. "Under renovation" daw ang Ninoy Aquino Stadium at Rizal Memorial Coliseum pero yun pala papalitan lang ang pintura ang mga pader at tatapalan lang ng Vulca Seal ang tumutulong bubong. Gobyerno nga naman. >:(

In my humble opinion, I think The Arena in San Juan is the next best basketball venue in Metro Manila after the Araneta Coliseum. The facility is well-maintained and is relatively safe compared to other venues like the Cuneta Astrodome and the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex. However, the limited maximum seating capacity of The Arena in San Juan (5,000 persons maximum) could limit its use as a venue for UAAP basketball games (although I think The Arena is a GREAT venue for UAAP volleyball games).

nastrans
06-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Naku kababayang Batangueno, ganun naman talaga PSC e lalo na sa mga complex doon, panay pintura at oo nga Vulcaseal, yun pa ngang bubong sa Baseball Stadium na natuklap dahil sa Milenyo noon di pa napapalitan.

Magandang venue ang Arena, sana hindi mapabayaan ng San Juan at dahil bago bago pa hindi pa ganu uso mga scalper. Ang isyu naman doon ay yung iba hindi pa alam pumunta doon pero madali din dahil sa G-Liner (grabe, pag magsabi ka lang na sa Arena ka bababa tanung agad ng kunduktor "may laro ba?" at alam nila pag may laro kapag puno ang bus).

As for volleyball, bagay na bagay sa UAAP volleyball ang Arena at sa V-League, pag finals talaga punong puno ang arena, at di mo mararamdam yung aircon.

Samantala, kakarinig ko lang sa Sports Radio na maghohost daw ng Badminton tournament ang NAS.

batangueño
06-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Badminton tournament at the NAS? Well, Kabayang nastrans, I think it is just fine to have it held at the NAS since badminton does not have that much of a fan following in this country as compared to basketball and volleyball games. ;D

I haven't been to the Philsports Complex lately. Any idea about the current condition of the place? Except for its inaccessibility to public transportation and the presence of scalpers, I think the Philsports Complex is that one PSC-operated facility that is "somewhat blessed", unlike the Rizal Memorial Sports Complex, which is now suffering from old age and neglect. However, if I am to compare the ULTRA to that of The Arena in San Juan, I will definitely choose the latter as the much better sports venue. ;)

As for The Arena in San Juan, I hope that Mayor JV and the rest of the San Juan City Government will really take good care of the facility. It is hard to imagine seeing The Arena in San Juan ending up as another Cuneta Astrodome. :o

nastrans
06-13-2008, 11:01 PM
OK pa naman ang ULTRA, but kung titignan yung mga pader doon ay parang yung 13-taon na pader ng kwarto mo na kulay puti, medyo nagbabadge at yung court na ginagamit since 2004, medyo may decline na rin. Still, OK pa din ang venue, ewan ko lang kung anu itsura nung mga daanan doon bago ka makapasok sa uupuan mo.

Ang NAS naman, sa status niya ngayon talagang suitable na lang sa mga small time events such as Badminton, Taekwondo, and Karatedo, kung tutuusin bagay na lang talaga siya as practice facility instead of a regular venue. Mukhang tatanda muna tayo bago magkaroon ng drastic renovation ang NAS.

THE ONLOOKER
06-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Badminton at NAS? Di ba okay naman yung sa Rizal Badminton Hall dati?

Feeling ko security purposes na naman yan for the female players.

nastrans
06-14-2008, 07:14 AM
OT:

I heard it was an international event.

eightyfiver
06-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Mga Kabayan, mukhang kaya hindi magagamit ng UAAP ang Araneta Coliseum for much of the first round is because naunahan ng Disney (High School Musical) ang UAAP na magpa-reserve ng Araneta. I guess I could not blame UP for selecting ULTRA as an alternate venue since the venue, despite its relative inaccessibility from public transportation and the prevalence of scalpers in the area, can hold both small games and big games (e.g. DLSU vs UST, UE vs ADMU, DLSU vs FEU, UP vs ADMU).

No need to explain pards. Kahit ano gawin niyo, meron at meron pa rin babatikos. Ganon talaga kapag host.

batangueño
06-14-2008, 04:13 PM
No need to explain pards. Kahit ano gawin niyo, meron at meron pa rin babatikos. Ganon talaga kapag host.

Well, I think that is indeed one of the dilemmas of being UAAP host. However, the public should understand that the decision on game venues to be selected by the host university is being done in concurrence with the other seven UAAP members.

nastrans
06-14-2008, 06:39 PM
OK lang naman magreklamo sa venue pero wag lang yung ganitong rason na nakikita sa PEX na...

"Ay ang layo naman ng venue, papano ako makakapark dyan?"

O kaya

"Ay ang init init naman sa venue, baka pawisin ako."

swooosh823
06-17-2008, 03:41 AM
OK n yung ULTRA!!! pag nanalo ang sinusuportahan mong team at kasama mo ang bf/gf/asawa mo, diretso agad sa VC or "flower group" para magcelebrate!!!! kaya din yung lakarin para sa mga walang car. hehe...

*Sana ma-renovate na rin ang BEG ASAP para ok and sana rin maging maganda at malaki yung ginagawang gym sa uste!!

*There is also an FX terminal behind Robinsons Galleria wherein yung mga FX ay dumadaan sa ULTRA.I think mas madali sumakay dun kasi those FX are also the ones who pass by SM Mega (dun sa gitna ng A and B).

pablohoney
06-17-2008, 11:12 AM

Well, I think that is indeed one of the dilemmas of being UAAP host. However, the public should understand that the decision on game venues to be selected by the host university is being done in concurrence with the other seven UAAP members.

Bro, as eightyfiver has mentioned, there is really no need to explain.
UST has had its share of "batikos" from the all-knowing mirons like us, and now since UP is host for this season,
it's their time to be criticized naman. :)

Sabi nga, weather-weather lang yan. ;D

bluewing
06-17-2008, 12:48 PM
yan ang hirap pag masyado mareklamo sa hosting ng iba... pag-ikot ng gulong at may nagreklamo naman sa iyo, yari.

kaya dapat, if you can't take the heat, don't play in the oven.

batangueño
06-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Sabi nga nila, "You cannot please everybody." Talagang walang UAAP host na hindi makakakuha ng reklamo pagdating sa venues. Kahit pa sa Araneta mo gawin yung laro, meron at meron pa ding mga magrereklamo. ::)

pablohoney
06-17-2008, 06:05 PM
bluewing[/b] ]

yan ang hirap pag masyado mareklamo sa hosting ng iba... pag-ikot ng gulong at may nagreklamo naman sa iyo, yari.

kaya dapat, if you can't take the heat, don't play in the oven.

A-Mehn!

ako dito! ;D

Howard the Duck
06-17-2008, 09:46 PM
ano ba kasi ang matinong venue EXCEPT araneta?

batangueño
06-17-2008, 10:19 PM

Aside from the Araneta Coliseum? Well, The Arena in San Juan and, to some extent, the Philsports Arena. ;)

Howard the Duck
06-17-2008, 10:23 PM

Aside from the Araneta Coliseum? Well, The Arena in San Juan and, to some extent, the Philsports Arena. ;)

I haven't been to the Arena but is out-of-the-way daw, accdg. to our NCAA friends.
As for ULTRA, it is large and airy but it also very far from the Manila schools.

By contrast:
Cuneta is cold. I've heard of bad stories there but I haven't been victimized, so... But transportation is quite hard there. The key is to appear normal. Don't wear anything fancy. Don't bring LOTS of money.
I haven't been to NAS so no comment.
RMC is a hot oven. Nahilo ako after ng game. :lol:

pablohoney
06-18-2008, 09:39 AM
I just remembered UAAP used to have games at the Makati Coliseum.
:)

5FootCarrot
06-18-2008, 10:23 AM
Doesn't Makati Coliseum have the same (or worse) parking/accessibility problems as ULTRA/Philsports and The Arena, and the same security concerns as NAS and Cuneta?

(Hindi ba full-time sabungan na yun? ...Or I might just be hallucinating ;D)

bchoter
06-18-2008, 12:00 PM
The Arena is along the Pasig-Manila transpo artery so there shouldn't be a problem going there. For medium-sized crowd ok na siguro although there is a usual build up of traffic in along Ortigas Ave. on weekdays especially within the vicinity of LSGH and Xavier. There are a lot of choices for after game gathering from Joey's 4x4 up to Greenhills. Puwede ring mag retail therapy ang mga talunan :D... oops baka mabasa ni kumander.

pablohoney
06-18-2008, 12:40 PM
5FootCarrot[/b] ]
Doesn't Makati Coliseum have the same (or worse) parking/accessibility problems as ULTRA/Philsports and The Arena, and the same security concerns as NAS and Cuneta?

(Hindi ba full-time sabungan na yun? ...Or I might just be hallucinating ;D)

Haha.
So I heard, too, that it has been turned into a cockpit arena.
The parking is indeed, a problem, but with security, I still it's still way, way better than at NAS or Cuneta (even ULTRA).
Sa ULTRA, tinanggal na ata yung bakanteng lote na ginagawang parking space eh. Not sure.

Howard the Duck
06-24-2008, 05:56 PM
so the arena seems to be a viable 2nd venue?

so if you'll rank them:
1. Araneta
2. arena
3. ultra?
4. NAS?
5. cuneta?
6. RMC