PDA

View Full Version : Franz Pumaren as Coach of the Philippine Youth Team

Mateen Cleaves
05-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Easy Access
By Sid Ventura
Wednesday, May 07, 2008 10:06:00 AM
Ubelt.com (http://ubelt.com/index.aspx)

I was not surprised by the recent announcement of Fil-Canadian Youth big man Norbert Torres that he has chosen to enroll in De La Salle University for college. Thatís what happens when the head coach of a national team, the youth team at that, is also the head coach of a major college basketball team.

From the very beginning, I already had my reservations about the SBP-BAPís decision to appoint Franz Pumaren as coach of our Youth team. Not because he isnít qualified. On the contrary, I consider Pumaren to be the best collegiate coach today, and if you donít believe me, just ask his kid brother how he was totally outcoached by his kuya in the UAAP final last year.

My problem stems from the fact that there obviously exists an inherent conflict of interest. Right now Franz has to wear two hats: that of the Youth coach and that of the DLSU coach. In the course of coaching the best 17-year-old Filipino ballers, itís inevitable that Pumaren will sometimes discard the Youth coach hat in favor of the DLSU coach hat. Either that, or the La Salle recruiters can be given easy access to these prized recruits. Itís like handing over the keys to a candy store to an eight-year-old, and hoping he doesnít use it.

... read the rest of the article here (http://ubelt.com/blogs/sidventura/viewpost.aspx?id=691)

(Mods, feel free to split this post and create a new thread if needed)

eightyfiver
05-08-2008, 08:33 AM
It's either SBP were naive or expecting Coach Franz to have the delicadeza of giving up his post as DLSU coach. Since he didn't , the tables are now turned on us fellow basketball fans to accept the fact that DLSU will always get the good players. Anyway, the national team is doing well. "It's for the best interest of our country." :(

It seems this topic merits another thread.

CM_Punk
05-08-2008, 03:16 PM
I also read somewhere that one of the RP youth players, the 6-3 Mendoza from Tarlac is going to UE for college. Gee, I wonder if the Pumarens had any influence on that particular decision? ::)

Edit- here's the article which mention's Mendoza's college plans--

RP 5 turns back Thailand
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 23:56:00 05/03/2008

KUALA LUMPUR -- THE PHILIPPINES seems to draw the best out of its opponents. Luckily, the challenge also squeezes out fine performances from its young nationals.....

Mendoza, a 6-foot-2 Tarlac standout whoíll be suiting up for University of the East, finished with 14 points, including a string of six that boosted the 18-under squadís lead to 62-55 after the Thais had closed in at 56-53.

The_Big_Cat
05-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Hindi tuloy maiwasan isipin ng mga tao na sinasamantala ni Franz Pumaren ang pagiging coach ng Youth Team para ma-recruit niya ang mga batang ito pumasok sa Taft.

erichubert
05-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Expected na iyan ever since. For me though, as long as Franz can give the country a championship or successful youth team then it would be worth it. From the present team though, I don't believe we would have a chance in the Asian level. I agree with Mr. Ventura that the best thing to do is go for an European coach, not only would that be fair for every college here, it would be also the best for our young players.

Schortsanitis
05-08-2008, 04:07 PM
On one hand, it doesn't look very good seeing Franz & company corner the RP Youth players. But on the other hand, did Franz really violate any ruling regarding recruiting these players? Besides, I wonder if Norman Black, Pido Jarencio or any other college Coach out there would've done things differently.

salsa caballero
05-08-2008, 04:18 PM
My objective opinion? It comes with the territory. I really don't mind as long as the country benefits. As for the UAAP, I believe that the talent pool is just too big for any one team to monopolize the "best" recruits. Heck, Duke does almost on a yearly basis, and it doesn't guarantee a championship. I personally wouldn't be too worried about Franz's getting first dibs provided he doesn't poach players already in other schools' teams.

ocean
05-08-2008, 04:24 PM
When a UST assistant coach handled the youth, a majority of the players went to UST (Ababou, etc.). When PCCr head Coach handled the youth, he also got some of the players.

I think that is but natural, alangan namang kung may magaling, hindi kakausapin ng Head Coach or Asst. Coach na pumunta sa eskwelahan niya. Pag nangyari yun, baka sisihin naman siya ng iba diyan!!!!! Sabihin tanga-tanga niya, nasa ilalim na ng ilong niya, di pa niya kinuha.

Kaya may pupunta rin sa UE, dahil nandiyan si Dindo. Ateneo got the players from the YOUTH, BEFORE they could play pa nga!!! Think Salva, Buenafe.

erichubert
05-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Pinaghatian na nina Franz at Dindo ang mga youth players, nauna lang magpick si Franz kaya si Torres ang kinuha, si Mendoza ang naiwan kay Dindo. In fairness to Franz, I think Jeric Teng and Gab Banal were already leaning towards DLSU even before they made the national team, same with Golla even if he was from Ateneo high.

I think ang malaking test dito ay iyong UPIS boys- Tolentino and Marata, I am sure if both decide to go to La Salle, the Diliman community would be up in arms, considering matagal na nila inaantay ang dalawang ito to go to UP.

marmand
05-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Despite the Pumarens obvious advantage in recruiting the youth players, other schools can still win them over. It is a numbers game. I do not think that everybody can fit ( right away ) the rosters of DLSU and UE. ( dont forget CSB )

erichubert
05-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Ocean made a good point, the youth team that was bannered by Ababou, Jervy Cruz, Mark Canlas and Darryl Bautista was coached by someone from UST either Dong Vergeire or Nel Parado, I am not sure, but a lot of them went to UST. Medyo nga nasensationalize ngayon dahil sa media coverage on the current youth team unlike the previous teams.

nastrans
05-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Isn't it the same when Danding was the project director of basketball that majority of the NCC players went on or was already studying and playing for La Salle too.

shyboy
05-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Why not include in the discussion the better players who withdrew from the Youth tryouts? What were the reasons behind it?

Come to think of it, the Youth players going to DLSU are not really the best in the team and they have already expressed intention to study in La Salle way before their RP Youth stint. Except for Torres, of course. Banal was already considering La Salle as early as late last year if I'm not mistaken. Jed Manguera is from DLS-Z so obviously he'd rather play Seniors ball with buddy Joshua Webb. Frank Golla, a cousin of Banal and one of the other rumored recruits, might still end up with ADMU based on a recent post by GreenArrows in archerpride.com.

So who else is headed to Taft other than these? La Salle has already 4-6 recruits just for this year alone. Other than those mentioned above, there's not much room anymore for other recruits since La Salle still has around 5 current players with 3-4 more UAAP eligibility years ahead of them.

Realistically, the Youth players are fair game for everyone.

The_Big_Cat
05-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Kaya siguro ayaw palaruin ng Ateneo sila Ryan Buenafe and Nico Salva sa Youth Team at baka ma kidnap. ;D

Seriously, deserving naman si Franz Pumaren.
But I think there should be some rules that the SBP should put up regarding a coach's advantage coaching for the Youth team and recruiting these kids to play for the coach's school.

marmand
05-09-2008, 11:30 AM
It really boils down to what the player wants. Even if Franz does things to entice the player to join DLSU but the player wants to play somewhere else then Franz can not force the guy. All he can do is bench him but I do not think that it is in Franz's nature to do so.

erichubert
05-09-2008, 02:04 PM
I don't think anyone is accusing Franz of forcing the player to play for DLSU, what people don't like is that he gets an advantage in recruitment because of his stature as coach of the national team. Aside from the fact that he gets to sell his system to the players through the actual practices, he gets to constantly be with them and a lot of people specially the UP and Ateneo people are very wary of this. But I think most people accept the fact that this comes with the territory of his job, and if gets ahead because of it, so be it as long as he does his job as national coach well.

As for Buenafe and Salva, safe to say that they have their own reasons for not joining the team, unless both come out with an official statement regarding this, I think it is malicious for anyone to speculate on what is the real cause for their not joining the team.

Mateen Cleaves
05-09-2008, 02:29 PM
It really boils down to what the player wants. Even if Franz does things to entice the player to join DLSU but the player wants to play somewhere else then Franz can not force the guy. All he can do is bench him but I do not think that it is in Franz's nature to do so.

It's not that simple. When you're only 16, 17, or 18 years old, and you're serious about a basketball career, it isn't that easy to say no to a superior. Let alone a national head coach -- backed by the organization supervising basketball in the whole country.

Perhaps that's also why people have a hard time accepting that both Buenafe and Salva made up their own minds to drop out of the youth program... around the same time. :P

bchoter
05-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Ocean made a good point, the youth team that was bannered by Ababou, Jervy Cruz, Mark Canlas and Darryl Bautista was coached by someone from UST either Dong Vergeire or Nel Parado, I am not sure, but a lot of them went to UST. Medyo nga nasensationalize ngayon dahil sa media coverage on the current youth team unlike the previous teams.
Dylan was already committed to UST even before he got called up to the RP Team. Jervy wasn't even in the radar screen of schools. Like Dylan, Mark Canlas was already recruited (UST still had kapampangan connections then) before he joined the National Team. Darryl never got to play for UST.

If you look at the recruitment scene then, these players hardly deserve a 2nd look. In fact, these players were virtual unknowns when they became Tigers. Dylan who? Jervy who? You hear more about Japeth Aguilar and the other half of the Mapua Jrs. twin tower, Ken Bono, Ogie Menor, Taganas, etc. Yes, they were part of the youth team. But there was also another youth team with more heralded players then.

The_Big_Cat
05-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Influence?

People do not need to speculate on this. Its very obvious.
1. Buenafe and Salva dropping out of our Youth team
2. Torres going to Taft

:)

BigBlue
05-09-2008, 04:26 PM
what happened to Ato? i thought he was also appointed as asst. coach along with Sandy?

erichubert
05-09-2008, 04:31 PM
I don't think he eventually made it as an assistant coach of the team. He may have found no need to because there was no San Beda recruit to safeguard in the team ;D Kidding aside, I think Franz surrounded himself with a younger staff whom he knows and works well with.

bchoter
05-09-2008, 04:40 PM
^ Di ba PAredes was supposed to be going to San Beda?

RockLobster
05-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Sorry, a bit off-topic... Quoting Sid in the article: "But hereís the thing: I wouldn't blame Franz for doing that. After all, it is also his job as head coach of DLSU to go out and find the best available talent." It's funny kasi nung pumutok yung Benitez-Gatchalian eligibility fiasco, sabi ni Pumaren in an interview that he had nothing to do with the recruitment of the two players involved.

Anyway, on-topic, it's just as eyebrow-raising to me. Dapat maisama si Gregorio sa weekly feature ng Yahoo na "What Were They Thinking?!".

glock23
05-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Sorry, a bit off-topic... Quoting Sid in the article: "But hereís the thing: I wouldn't blame Franz for doing that. After all, it is also his job as head coach of DLSU to go out and find the best available talent." It's funny kasi nung pumutok yung Benitez-Gatchalian eligibility fiasco, sabi ni Pumaren in an interview that he had nothing to do with the recruitment of the two players involved.

Anyway, on-topic, it's just as eyebrow-raising to me. Dapat maisama si Gregorio sa weekly feature ng Yahoo na "What Were They Thinking?!".

Ask MVP as he is the SBP head who handpicked franz to handle the youth team. get it? ;)

The_Big_Cat
05-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Franz Pumaren has proven his worth as the coach of our Youth team.
He has five UAAP (1998,1999,2000,2001,2007) titles out of the total 7 UAAP titles DLSU has.

Another coach the SBP should have considered should be Enrico "Koy" Banal.
He led the FEU Tamaraws to three UAAP finals (2000,2003,2004). Winning two of them.
And led the San Beda Red Lions to the 2006 NCAA championship.

D_I_A
05-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Franz Pumaren has proven his worth as the coach of our Youth team.
He has five UAAP (1998,1999,2000,2001,2007) titles out of the total 7 UAAP titles DLSU has.

Another coach the SBP should have considered should be Enrico "Koy" Banal.
He led the FEU Tamaraws to three UAAP finals (2000,2003,2004). Winning two of them.
And led the San Beda Red Lions to the 2006 NCAA championship.

pwede!