PDA

View Full Version : 2008 FIBA Asia U18 Championship for Men

amdgc82
05-08-2008, 05:36 AM
After SEABA win, RP eyes Asian title (http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20080508123981.html)
By Kristel Satumbaga
Thursday, May 8, 2008
www.mb.com.ph

Facing the prospect of going up against taller and bigger rivals in the FIBA Asian Youth Championship, the Philippine Youth team plans to intensify its preparation to have a fair chance of winning the title.

RP Youth mentor Franz Pumaren admits his wards will be facing tremendous odds in the Asian tournament slated from Aug. 28 to Sept. 5 in Tehran, Iran.

But he said they will be ready. He said they plan to employ the same work ethic, preparation and dedication that resulted in a one-sided triumph over junior teams of the Southeast Asian region during the SEABA men’s junior championship.

The Nationals returned from Kuala Lumpur Monday basking in the glow of triumph after beating their rivals by an average of 42 points.

They were extra hot against the Indons whom plastered by 80 points, 123-43.

They finished the five-team tourney by scoring an average of 102.22 points, underscoring the team’s awesome firepower and depth.

He said he’s going to use the momentum from this victory to pull off what he said is an improbable task in Iran.

"It’s going to be a tough task for us, " he said, adding that they will be going to Iran with a reputation of being the number one junior team in Southeast Asia.

Pumaren said he’s giving his boys three weeks to rest. The next training camp opens at the end of the month.

Knowing how hard the Middle East countries play, not to mention having height and heft advantage, Pumaren said they plan to prepare very hard.

The American coach of Thailand – Felton Sealy – also warned the RP coaching staff to be ready against Middle East countries since most of them like to play a physical game.

Pumaren said they can deal with it though he was hoping, "they are not too big."

"I think we’re already and we’re in great shape. Right now it’s no longer about conditioning. It’s more on trying to put up a new system because we’re playing an entirely different field."

Aside from Middle East powerhouses like Iran and Jordan, other teams like China, South Korea and Japan also pose a huge problem for the Nationals.

Pumaren said they will try to arrange tune-up matches against teams from China, South Korea and Kazakhstan as part of their preparation.

In addition, Pumaren plans to get two big players to solidify their frontcourt combination.

"There’s going to be a lot of frustration and headaches along the way," Pumaren said. "It’s not going to be an overnight success. It’s what we’re going to go through these months to build up the team and become more effective in a different level of competition."

"It’s hard but not impossible," he said.

salsa caballero
05-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Could one of the bigs in mind be Nico Monachini? How about his high school team mate, John Lasa-- the guy may be a guard, but at 6-1 and change, he would be a bigger point guard by Pinoy standards. Besides, word has it that the latter's got loads of hoops IQ.

The_Big_Cat
05-08-2008, 03:33 PM
The SBP should get Nico Monachini to beef up the frontline.

tawkytawny
05-09-2008, 09:27 PM
The SBP should get Nico Monachini to beef up the frontline.

Our team is very short compared to the tall players from China, Korea and other Middle East countries. Do you know any 6'8 Filipino or Fil-Foreign player who can reinforce our team? If we can get at least two more reliable 6'7 - 6'8 players, we will have a fighting chance. Kaya lang kulang na ata tayo sa oras para itrain yung mga bagong players natin.

GreenArrows
05-10-2008, 07:23 AM
To those in the know, may I know when was the last time that the Philippines won the FIBA Asia U18 Championships for men or, as it was known during my time, the Asian Youth tournament?

The_Big_Cat
05-10-2008, 10:16 AM
To those in the know, may I know when was the last time that the Philippines won the FIBA Asia U18 Championships for men or, as it was known during my time, the Asian Youth tournament?

1982. It was held in Manila. Coached by Ron Jacobs. Among the members of that team I recall were Joseph Uichico, Hector Calma, Luis Brill, Elmer Reyes, Alfie Almario and Teddy Alfarero to name a few

It was then called Asian Basketball Confederation Youth Championships.

GreenArrows
05-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks! So, since 1982, what was the highest finish by the Philippine team? I believe it was in the early and mid-80's that the PROC started to dominate all levels of Asian Basketball. In the Youth level, I think it was mostly China with a championship or two going to South Korea. So, how has the Philippines fared in the Youth level since 1982?

amdgc82
05-10-2008, 09:13 PM
^
1970 Champion
1972 Champion
1974 Champion
1977 Champion
1978 Champion
1980 Runner up
1982 Champion
1984 3rd
1986 Runner up
1989 3rd
1990 4th
1992 3rd
1995 6th
1996 6th
1998 7th
2000 Did not participate
2002 Failed to qualify (placed 4th in SEABA Jrs)
2004 13th
2006 Suspended
2008 -

shyboy
05-10-2008, 09:58 PM
^ We have to thank the BAP for such a magnificent job from 1995 onwards. Ang tigas ng apog niyo gusto niyo pang ipagpatuloy ang kapalpakan niyo! >:(

AnthonyServinio
05-11-2008, 03:57 AM
2000 Did not participate
2002 Failed to qualify (placed 4th in SEABA Jrs)
2004 13th
2006 Suspended

* * *THIS was the regime of incompetency under coaching genius Johny Tam.* It seemed in the eyes of illegal alien Graham Lim, no one was good enough to handle the Philippine national team except Tam!

GreenArrows
05-11-2008, 07:00 AM
Anthony, how come that even with a Supreme Court decision, no one can seem to deport this Graham Lim??? Who is backing this a_ _ hole that his backer can subvert a Supreme Court decision? I have a feeling that it is still Graham Lim that is creating all this trouble between the now non-recognized BAP with the BAP-SBP! So, why is he still in the Philippines?

GHRanger
05-11-2008, 10:05 AM
^ GA - Malakas ang kapit ni Graham Lim with some grandstanding Congressmen. (kilala niyo na yun.)

pachador
05-11-2008, 02:15 PM
graham lim is a businessmen so its likely he gives "donations" to politicians to stop the deportation.

^ GA - Malakas ang kapit ni Graham Lim with some grandstanding Congressmen. (kilala niyo na yun.)*

D_I_A
05-13-2008, 12:31 AM
^* We have to thank the BAP for such a magnificent job from 1995 onwards.* Ang tigas ng apog niyo gusto niyo pang ipagpatuloy ang kapalpakan niyo!* >:(

actually 1930s pa na organize ang BAP so ang kapalpakan nila panahon pa ng mga lolo natin, kasi di rin nila naisip na magkaroon ng genuine National basketball championship. Buti na lang ngayon ang SBP may PCCL na.

dapat nung na organize ang NCAA at UAAP in 1930s and 1940s respectively nagkaroon na sana ng moves para i-merge ito ng BAP kaso nagpakampante kaya lalong naging kumplikado ang problema sa basketball scene.

then in 1975 na create ang PBA pangkontra sa kapalpakan ng BAP kaso nilamon din ng bulok na sistema ng pataasan ng ere ang PBA kaya hirap kumuha ng players for the national team. kaya pagdating ng 80s pasadsad na ang performance natin

simula rin ng naupo si Jalasco after Puyat, then followed by Literal and Lim tandem talaga nabaon na tayo sa pagigiing talunan.

i hope SBP will be able to bring back our country's basketball glory, though it's an uphill climb..

Good Luck!

Down with the BAP!!!

Support the SBP!!!

insulares
05-14-2008, 01:33 AM
Tough test ahead for RP-Nokia 5
By Reuben Terrado
Correspondent
TUNE-UP games against Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) teams are one of the plans for the RP-Nokia Youth Team as it prepares for the Fiba-Asia Youth Championship in Tehran from August 28 to September 5.

Team captain Frank Golla said the tune-up games were similar to the ones they did before the Southeast Asian Basketball Association Championship for Young Men in Kuala Lumpur two weeks ago. To prepare for the Kuala Lumpur tournament, they faced collegiate and Philippine Basketball League squads.* * * * *

Only this time, the 18-year-old Golla said national youth coach Franz Pumaren will go further by pitting them against professional teams.

“The tune-up games will help us a lot if they will push through because we will get a chance to play against veteran players. It is an advantage playing against them, instead of playing against our same age,” said Golla, as he represented the team during Tuesday’s Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum at the Shakey’s United Nation’s Avenue.

Gabriel Banal, who joined Golla in the forum, said the coaching staff is concentrating on its conditioning as the task at hand in the Fiba-Asia becomes tougher.

“Our opponents are bigger and stronger. We have to play a run-and-gun game to counter the strengths of our opponents,” said Banal, 17, son of Alaska assistant coach Joel Banal and a cousin of Golla.

Iran reportedly has a seven-foot-six center on its national youth team, while China, Japan, South Korea and Chinese Taipei are perennial contenders in the tournament, which is a qualifying event for the Youth Olympic Games in Singapore in 2010.

The Nationals, who are backed by Nokia and TAO Corp., headed by Julio Sy Jr., are taking a break before heading to conditioning and weight training on May 19. They will head back to practice two weeks after.

Filipino-Canadian Norberto Torres and Filipino-American Kyle Pascual have returned abroad to attend to their studies but will return in time for the preparation for the Asian meet.

The Nokia-RP Youth booked swept its way to the SEABA Championships for Young Men in Kuala Lumpur.

http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/05142008/sports03.html

salsa caballero
05-14-2008, 03:08 PM
WTF!!! Chismis is that Iran has a 7-6 player lined up on their U-18 team. What on earth are they loading in their shawarmas!!!

GHRanger
05-14-2008, 03:14 PM
^ Marinated with Cherifer.
Well, at least kung "gulangan" ng siko ng mga pinoy alam niyo na kung saan tatama.

The_Big_Cat
05-14-2008, 03:54 PM
WTF!!! Chismis is that Iran has a 7-6 player lined up on their U-18 team. What on earth are they loading in their shawarmas!!!

Yes. I saw a similar tall guy on that Iran bench even taller than Iranian premier center 7"1" Hedadi.
Malaki lang mukhang wala pang skills yata.

D_I_A
05-14-2008, 04:21 PM

Yes. I saw a similar tall guy on that Iran bench even taller than Iranian premier center 7"1" Hedadi.

Then let's bring our RP Youth team in Mister Kabab' (lol)

Well, we'll know if this tall guy can really cause much damage in our campaign come the FIBA-Asia Youth Championships. Let's hope for the best!!! ;)

salsa caballero
05-14-2008, 05:49 PM

Must be Rouzhbahani...I believe he was last listed at 7-3. Turned a lot of heads when he was eligible for their youth team, but currently plays second fiddle to Ehadadi. Now, whether there really IS a 7-6 u-18 Iranian remains to be seen. If true, we'd better get pointers from Chito Loyzaga pronto. (He once neutralized a North Korean standing around that height, maybe taller...)

The_Big_Cat
05-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Must be Rouzhbahani...I believe he was last listed at 7-3. Turned a lot of heads when he was eligible for their youth team, but currently plays second fiddle to Ehadadi. Now, whether there really IS a 7-6 u-18 Iranian remains to be seen. If true, we'd better get pointers from Chito Loyzaga pronto. (He once neutralized a North Korean standing around that height, maybe taller...)

This was during the 1990 Beijing Asian Games. It was a quarterfinals match against North Korea if i recall it correctly.

insulares
05-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Right, Cat. The 7'7" beanpole's name was Ri Myong-Hun (later he adopted a Westernized name Michael Ri). Loyzaga gave Ri fits with his double-wristbanded Anejo defence. Ironically, it was a reactive Ri that went on to foul out of that game.

The_Big_Cat
05-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Right, Cat. The 7'7" beanpole's name was Ri Myong-Hun (later he adopted a Westernized name Michael Ri). Loyzaga gave Ri fits with his double-wristbanded Anejo defence. Ironically, it was a reactive Ri that went on to foul out of that game.

He changed his name because Michael Jordan was his idol. He went to the US to try out for several team but it didn't worked well because by the time the North Korean government allowed him to go he was already in his 30s.

insulares
05-15-2008, 02:23 PM
[He changed his name because Michael Jordan was his idol. He went to the US to try out for several team but it didn't worked well because by the time the North Korean government allowed him to go he was already in his 30s.

Bad luck and bad timing for Ri...politics and the trade embargo sunk his dream like a torpedo.

Anyweyz, I'm sure Coach Franz will eventually pull out a Loyzaga-like defender from our young but fast-developing NT just in case other countries parade some freakish player in the Iran tourney.* Hats off to the Philippine Team!!!

onggok
05-15-2008, 02:37 PM
I saw the picture of Norbert torres and he has wide body. I *hope they will train him how to play like Carlos Boozer. The RP youth team need *atleast 2 or 3 more player like Arwin Santos but taller (6'6 or 6'7) for defensive purposes.
Kasi kahit matatangkad pa mga kalaban kung mahina naman silang tamalon at maiiksi pa ang mga wingspan wala rin kwenta ang mga tangkad nila kaya kailangan natin yong kagaya ni Arwin santos na malakas tumalon at mabilis.

Schortsanitis
11-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Here are the stats of all the games that were played in this year's 20th FIBA Asia U18 Championship For Junior Men. Here we can see which players did well in these tough, international competitions:

http://www.fibaasia.net/cms/index.php?itemid=192