PDA

View Full Version : UPHR Altas

Schortsanitis
05-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Just found out that the University of Perpetual Help - Rizal Altas don't have a thread of their own yet, so am starting one.

From PEx & the Inbound Pass website, the Altas are supposed to have 2 6'7" imports w/ the names "Guinto" & "Tomacruz". Is this true? If so, any details about them?

King_stag
05-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Maybe in their reserve squad. I saw their bench and it's small, the only legit big man is romel balboa and ed salanga, The latter is a 6'4" small forward who has a nice jumpshot.

MonL
05-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Just found out that the University of Perpetual Help - Rizal Altas don't have a thread of their own yet, so am starting one.

From PEx & the Inbound Pass website, the Altas are supposed to have 2 6'7" imports w/ the names "Guinto" & "Tomacruz".* Is this true?* If so, any details about them?

Actually, PEx posters first pointed gameface as their reference ... ???

AnthonyServinio
05-05-2008, 12:48 PM

FIRST*things first, the school is now officially known as the University of Perpetual Help System-Dalta. The change has been in effect for around four years already.

Schortsanitis
05-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Actually, PEx posters first pointed gameface as their reference ... ???

If the PEx posters cited gameface as the source, & we can't find it here ..... then could it be just a hoax, w/ the intent to use the gameface name to add a little bit more credibiilty to the hoax?

Schortsanitis
05-05-2008, 01:40 PM
* * *FIRST*things first, the school is now officially known as the University of Perpetual Help System-Dalta.* The change has been in effect for around four years already.

In that case, I request the mod to change the title of this thread from "UPHR Altas" to "UPHS-D Altas".

Schortsanitis
05-05-2008, 01:45 PM
It looks the reports of a “Guinto” & “Tomacruz” imports for the UPHS-D Altas has a dubious source. I searched for the words “Guinto” & “Tomacruz” here at gameface, & I could not find any reference to these words connected w/ the Altas.

mighty_lion
05-05-2008, 02:03 PM
I havent seen one in the Srs division. Kahapon meron laro yong Staglets and UPHR sa Fr. Martins and meron black imports ang Jrs nila. More or less 6'3 for both but the name at the back of the Jersey is neither Guinto nor Tomacruz. Nakalimutan ko yong surname. Sounds very foreign.

The_Big_Cat
05-05-2008, 02:05 PM
I think the 6'7' guy they are referring belongs to the JRU squad.
Kamukha nga ni George Muresan. ;D

bchoter
05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
UPHR picked up a 6'1" transferee from a CUSA (sa mga smart aleck, local version ha :D) school. Said player is a deashot from the 3-point area and is a scrappy defender.

nastrans
05-09-2008, 12:21 AM
FIRST things first, the school is now officially known as the University of Perpetual Help System-Dalta. The change has been in effect for around four years already.

In that case, I request the mod to change the title of this thread from "UPHR Altas" to "UPHS-D Altas".

Was a resident of Las Pinas for 14 years, parang nasundan ko na din mga name changes ng Perpetual.

PHCR - Perpetual Help College of Rizal
UPHR - University of Perpetual Help Rizal
UPHDS - University of Perpetual Help Dalta System
UPHSD - University of Perpetual Help System Dalta

bchoter
05-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Who's Dalta? I'm not sue if it's a joke but they say it's a name of one of the daughters of the owner :D

amdgc82
05-09-2008, 02:34 PM
^
DALTA - Dr. Antonio L. Tamayo (school founder)

bchoter
05-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Oh I see. Like Amable M. Aguiluz for AMA :D.

I think there are other 'systems' as well.

nastrans
05-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Oh I see. Like Amable M. Aguiluz for AMA :D.

I think there are other 'systems' as well.

DALTA represents the campuses of Las Pinas, Molino, and GMA.

Tapos meron pa silang JONELTA sa Binan, ewan ko lang kung sinung Tamayo yan :D

Joescoundrel
07-17-2008, 10:35 AM
DOUBLE HAPPINESS

Jose Rizal University made it a double joyride in spite of the bad weather as both the Light Bombers and the Heavy Bombers made mincemeat of Perpetual Help. In the junior division Joshua Saret, Louie Vigil, Kevin Oliveria, Ric Madlangbayan and Keith Agovida needed the first quarter to warm up before kicking the shit out of the Perpetual Altalets 107-93. In senior division action veterans pointguard Mark Cagoco and center James Sena presided over a fourth period breakaway to turn back the Perpetual Altas 74-57.

Filipino-African forward Joseph Eriobu and forward-center Ralvin Torres kept pace with Agovida and company inside, even engaging in a couple of lead changes in the first quarter. Jhorren Baptista and Joel Jolangcob also joined in with their nifty perimeter play.

By the second half however the Light Bombers were in full attack mode and took a double digit spread 62-48 midway through the third period and were never seriously threatened. Saret led the way with a flurry of three-pointers even as Vigil and Agovida attacked from the high post. It didn't help that Perpetual bigs Torres, Eriobu, Jon Canusa and JM Gonato got into foul trouble early in this period.

Perpetual still had one last rallye left in them coming within 88-80 sometime late in the fourth period. But Madlangbayan, Agovida and Vigil kept the Altalets at bay all the way to the final buzzer. Saret had a tournament high 30 points, Vigil 24, Madlangbayan 22 and Agovida 19 in a showcase of offensive firepower. Jolangcob led Perpetual with 21.

In the seniors game Mike Kong, Jim Kong, Nat Salanga and Rob Hainga kept pace with the JRU in the first half but ran out of steam midway through the fourth period. Cagoco meanwhile waxed hot from all over and was named best player at the end of the game. Kong and company kept the fight close in the first half with their sniping, swift ball movement and dribble penetration.

By the time the second half rolled around though it was the Bombers' turn to run some solid execution. Cagoco went nuts from the outside, Sena established himself in the low blocks, Maui Pradas and Jason Nocom provided solid play off the bench and Ildefonso Bulangis played as the second pointguard on the floor as JRU began to pull away 58-46 late in the third period. Bulangis was particularly effective running the halfcourt sets and finding the open man. Bulangis was also chiefly responsible for shutting down Perpetual main man Ronald Reyes. Reyes struggled to get eight points after averaging close to 16.

Cagoco led the Bombers with 21 points to go with six assists and two steals while Sena had 14 points and nine boards. The Kong boys had 12 and 11 points respectively for Perpetual Help.

Howard the Duck
07-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Sayang ang perps ah...

boozer
07-18-2008, 06:02 PM
I was rooting for perps to give Letran its first loss of the season.

Oh well, It was their "star player" Mike Kong to the rescue. Haaaaayyy.

nicksy
07-18-2008, 06:11 PM
sayang Perps, patalo talaga itong si Kong, just like last year when he fouled Banal on half court with just a few second and Perps leading with two pts. and mapua won in OverTime. though luck for Kong. and it was on the same date last year July 18 2007, the story posted the site below.

http://prev.ubelt.com/ncaa/mbb/story.aspx?id=1322

Howard the Duck
07-18-2008, 08:05 PM
hahahah. alam kong patalo siya against MIT last year pero di ko akalaing same date din pala :o

nicksy
07-18-2008, 08:10 PM
malas lang siguro si kong tuwing july 18.

nastrans
07-18-2008, 11:02 PM
It feels bad that Kong has to take a lot for being the goat in the game earlier but Dysam went from hero-to-goat-to-hero-to-goat, sayang Perps that was a major collapse.

The_Big_Cat
07-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Panalo na, natalo pa.

Dysam should have taken care of the ball well but he didn't. Missed free throws also in the final five minutes sealed their doom. Parang 5 yata ang sinablay nila that could have extended their lead but instead helped the Knights crawled in back into the game.

paul0220
07-19-2008, 11:07 AM
Panalo na, natalo pa.

Dysam should have taken care of the ball well but he didn't. Missed free throws also in the final five minutes sealed their doom. Parang 5 yata ang sinablay nila that could have extended their lead but instead helped the Knights crawled in back into the game.

It was not the Dysam play that sealed the doom for UPHD but the foul of Kong. Dysam was double teamed and trapped and that was due to wrong timing in the inbounds pass and the design of the inbounds play. Kong could have just chased Jazul and if he takes a shot just bother him and not foul him. Jazul could have missed a shot and UPHD could have won. If Jazul would have taken a shot and made it, it would have been less painful cause it happened by fate and not on being foolish.

The_Big_Cat
07-19-2008, 12:58 PM
^After Dysam crossed the midcourt, he could easily stopped his dribbled and hold the ball. Kahit ma ball hogging siya OK lang dahil 5 seconds na lang but instead he dribbled one more kaya nasundutan siya and eventually lost the ball.

In the two previous plays, Dysam failed to convert his three-point play off a foul by missing the extra free throw.
Ynion missed one of two FTs in the previous play. Those two misses from the foul line could have easily extended the lead for the Altas.

paul0220
07-20-2008, 10:07 AM
^After Dysam crossed the midcourt, he could easily stopped his dribbled and hold the ball. Kahit ma ball hogging siya OK lang dahil 5 seconds na lang but instead he dribbled one more kaya nasundutan siya and eventually lost the ball.

In the two previous plays, Dysam failed to convert his three-point play off a foul by missing the extra free throw.
Ynion missed one of two FTs in the previous play. Those two misses from the foul line could have easily extended the lead for the Altas.

Dysam was still in the backcourt when trapped and has redeemed himself by making a shot that puts UPHD back in the lead. Just accept it it was Kong who sealed the doom for UPHD and not Dysam. Dysam is a young player and his missing a free throw in the in game was acceptable due to the pressure but for a veteran like Kong to foul a good free throw shooter at midcourt is foolish.

ankle breaker
08-06-2008, 09:28 PM
UPHD - from a perennial final 4 contender to perennial cellar dweller. just hoping they find another coach. bai cristobal's magic is long gone.

Howard the Duck
08-13-2008, 11:12 PM
oo nga, bai should say bye bye at the end of the season

ankle breaker
08-13-2008, 11:55 PM
i can expect that to happen at the end of this tournament.

Get_Blazed
08-21-2008, 08:25 PM
I feel bad for Perps. Seems like they would suffer the same fate as we did a year ago. With that said, I hope you would be able to beat PCU and Mapua later on(of course, I would say the say when you face my team). Play hard and never give up. Good luck!

Regular Grey
08-24-2008, 09:57 AM
I feel bad for Perps. Seems like they would suffer the same fate as we did a year ago. With that said, I hope you would be able to beat PCU and Mapua later on(of course, I would say the say when you face my team). Play hard and never give up. Good luck!

Don't Say it!!

Get_Blazed
08-24-2008, 09:37 PM

Don't Say it!!

I wouldnt say the same pala. To naman. Kala mo di nagkakamali. ::) ;D

The_Big_Cat
09-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Franz Dysam of Perpetual gave a cheap shot to Mapua's Erwin Cornejo in yesterday's game.
Dysam punched Cornejo in the place where it really hurts most. Akala ko malinis maglaro, tirador pala. >:(

Perpetual has no games left so I guess Dysam's suspension would have to come next year in Season 85.

bossman
09-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Is it true na madami sila big men recruit for next season?

-insane-
09-09-2008, 09:48 PM
goodluck po sa CDC bukas mga defending champs

nastrans
09-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Dysam will miss the first game of Season 85.

professor
09-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Team B of Altas easily outscore Team A in their scrimmages. There would be 8 new players next season who can score outside inside. They do not have a center yet to replace Balboa. ut the new 8 players are much better than what we saw is season 84. This team is projected to get more W than this season and may pull some surprises.

bchoter
09-14-2008, 07:54 PM
^ Did the Trinity boys make it?

professor
10-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I was told that there is only 1 trinity boy left. The Altas is back to zero with the current replacement of Bai Cristobal with Boris Aldeguer as head coach. However, all the previous eligible Team A players and Team B candidates are still enjoying their priveledges. Let us see how Boris shapes up the team with his own system of basketball.

bossman
10-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I was told that there is only 1 trinity boy left.* The Altas is back to zero with the current replacement of Bai Cristobal with Boris Aldeguer as head coach.* However, all the previous eligible Team A players and Team B candidates are still enjoying their priveledges.* Let us see how Boris shapes up the team with his own system of basketball.

With Boris at the helm we can expect something new. The guy knows how to build a program. I think everyone here who watches UAAP Jrs Basketball is familiar with what he can do.

animo
10-10-2008, 11:40 AM
who is Boris Aldeguer?
so coach bai was already sacked?

AnthonyServinio
10-10-2008, 11:59 AM
who is Boris Aldeguer?*
so coach bai was already sacked?

Coach Boris Aldeguer
Head Coach - UAAP Juniors Champion De La Salle-Zobel (2005, 2007)
Assistant Coach - PBA San Miguel Beermen (2007-present)

LION
10-10-2008, 03:10 PM
^ So, can we expect some Zobel players to matriculate in Las Pinas? :P

gallery
10-10-2008, 05:34 PM
;)

nastrans
10-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Isang dyip lang yan at sampung piso mula Ayala Alabang hanggang sa Times Village (kung saan lalakad ka pa ng konti paloob ng Perpetual) kaso mas intriguing pa din mapunta sa sister school kaya mahirap pa rin.

professor
10-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Bai Cristobal was replaced because of the poor perfomance of the Altas. Bai though he would not be replaced as Dr. Tamayo is his godfather in his wedding. He had to show more as the system needs a long term view. It is just sad that his Team B materials will do well next season. The players and the coaches should try to improve. Management should try to get the medical college involved in the team as well to insure better strength and conditioning training and health maintenance.

razor
10-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Bai Cristobal was replaced because of the poor perfomance of the Altas.* Bai though he would not be replaced as Dr. Tamayo is his godfather in his wedding.* He had to show more as the system needs a long term view.* It is just sad that his Team B materials will do well next season.* The players and the coaches should try to improve.* Management should try to get the medical college involved in the team as well to insure better strength and conditioning training and health maintenance.

Case in point - Vladimir Joe.

Looks like he never recovered from his knee injury. In fact, there was a cruel joke that Joe got operated on the wrong knee that's why he never came back at full strength. ;)

oca
10-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Bai Cristobal was replaced because of the poor perfomance of the Altas.* Bai though he would not be replaced as Dr. Tamayo is his godfather in his wedding.* He had to show more as the system needs a long term view.* It is just sad that his Team B materials will do well next season.* The players and the coaches should try to improve.* Management should try to get the medical college involved in the team as well to insure better strength and conditioning training and health maintenance.

Kaya pala. Nagtataka ako bakit di pinapalitan si Cristobal kahit ilang taon nang sadsad ang kampanya ng Altas. Except for that finals appearance vs the Dolphins which the latter won about 5 years ago, there has been nothing news worthy on his stay there.

Mabuti at naisipan na rin nilang magpalit ng coach. Marapat lang na baguhin ang direksyon ng team. They can't allow the name of the school to be associated with losing campaigns in he NCAA. Lalo na at tumataas ang media coverage ng NCAA.

A better team will add to better games. Isang bagay na hanap ng mga tulad natin dito sa gameface.

Good luck Altas!

MonL
10-13-2008, 12:25 PM
post deleted

MonL
10-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Good luck Altas!

At sana, makakapagbitaw na ang Altas ng salitang "Good luck, at last."* *;D

izon
10-14-2008, 02:05 PM
^ So, can we expect some Zobel players to matriculate in Las Pinas?* :P

Naku !! Kung lilipat sa Atlas ang junior players ng Zobel, talagang malaking problema ng Benilde.

LION
10-14-2008, 02:26 PM

Naku !!* *Kung lilipat sa Atlas ang junior players ng Zobel, talagang malaking problema ng Benilde.

Napakahina naman ni Boris Aldeguer kung wala siyang mahatak na players from Zobel kahit isa o dalawa man lang.

professor
10-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Meron siguro dahil malapit ang UPHR sa DLZ at magaling ang medical school at iba pang programs nito like maritime and culinary rin yata. Maraming studyante and malaki at malinis ang campus sa Las Pinas.

Get_Blazed
10-14-2008, 09:22 PM

Naku !! Kung lilipat sa Atlas ang junior players ng Zobel, talagang malaking problema ng Benilde.

With regards to Zobel studes, I am confident on which (school and program) they would choose between the 2.

gelaibabydoll
10-14-2008, 11:06 PM

Naku !!* *Kung lilipat sa Atlas ang junior players ng Zobel, talagang malaking problema ng Benilde.

With regards to Zobel studes, I am confident on which (school and program) they would choose between the 2.

Growing up in the South, I would have to agree with you... unless they enrolled in Zobel just to play basketball... that's another story...

As far as Medical Courses go, UPHDS is one of the top schools, if not, the top school in the Southern Metro Manila Area... but it's not advisable for student-athletes to take up these courses... Perps would have to give more to these prospects to get them... I'm pretty sure that their loyalty still lies within the La Salle System...

batangueño
10-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Aldeguer calls shots for Altas
Philstar.com (http://ph.news.yahoo.com/star/20081014/tsp-aldeguer-shots-altas-d685dba.html) - Tuesday, October 14

Multi-titled high school mentor Boris Aldeguer made a career move after he accepted the coaching job at Perpetual Help, taking over from former coach Arturo "Bai" Cristobal.

Yes I decided to accept the job," the 33-year-old Aldeguer yesterday told The STAR.

Aldeguer will bring impressive credentials in the high school loop with two UAAP juniors titles and two Final Four appearances as coach of La Salle-Zobel for four seasons to a Perpetual Help team reeling from an eighth and last place finish in the recently concluded 84th NCAA season.

"It's a three-year program. Plans for the team is to improve our standing next season and hopefully be a contender in next three years," said Aldeguer. "We're injecting a new system but will take time since we are starting from zero.

"It's an enormous challenge as a coach and hopefully I can make the most out of it," he added.

Cristobal confirmed he's out of the team he steered to the 2004 National Inter-Collegiate crown, a runner-up finish the same year and one Final Four appearance since taking over as the Altas' mentor eight years back.

Cristobal was also the coach when San Sebastian capped a historic NCAA five-peat feat 11 years ago.

Aldeguer, who has given up his assistant coaching job with San Miguel to concentrate on Perpetual Help, said he plans to turn a run-and-gun team to a squad that thrives mainly on defense.

"I want a defensive team that likes to run but in a controlled fashion. We try to find the easiest possible way to score," Aldeguer said.

"We're not tall like other teams so we will have to take advantage with speed and smartness," he added. - Joey Villar (Philstar News Service, www.philstar.com)

Regular Grey
10-15-2008, 04:54 AM

Sometimes players choose the team that can develop their playing ability. Isa na doon ang pagtingin kung sino ang coach ng isang team. Dahil kung sistema ng paaralan ang tinitingnan ng lahat ng basketball players sa Pilipinas, e bakit mahina ang team ng UP?

Get_Blazed
10-15-2008, 10:27 AM

Growing up in the South, I would have to agree with you... unless they enrolled in Zobel just to play basketball... that's another story...

As far as Medical Courses go, UPHDS is one of the top schools, if not, the top school in the Southern Metro Manila Area... but it's not advisable for student-athletes to take up these courses... Perps would have to give more to these prospects to get them... I'm pretty sure that their loyalty still lies within the La Salle System...

Just last week, nagtour ang Zobel students sa CSB Hotel/AKIC (for HRIM) campus. Mukhang natuwa sila sa nakita nila. All seemed to be pleased and enticed.

Get_Blazed
10-15-2008, 10:32 AM

Sometimes players choose the team that can develop their playing ability. Isa na doon ang pagtingin kung sino ang coach ng isang team.* *Dahil kung sistema ng paaralan ang tinitingnan ng lahat ng basketball players sa Pilipinas, e bakit mahina ang team ng UP?

I mentioned school and gave emphasis on it. Secondary nalang yung program sa statement ko, because when its all said and done, aanhin nila ang winning program kung utak biya ang kalalabasan ng players? Those who cant even answer in english when asked. Dapat well-rounded ang tao.::)

gallery
10-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Don't worry...I don't think he has plans of recruiting any of his players from La Salle Zobel.

LION
10-15-2008, 12:03 PM

Sometimes players choose the team that can develop their playing ability. Isa na doon ang pagtingin kung sino ang coach ng isang team.* *Dahil kung sistema ng paaralan ang tinitingnan ng lahat ng basketball players sa Pilipinas, e bakit mahina ang team ng UP?

I mentioned school and gave emphasis on it. Secondary nalang yung program sa statement ko, because when its all said and done, aanhin nila ang winning program kung utak biya ang kalalabasan ng players? Those who cant even answer in english when asked. Dapat well-rounded ang tao.::)

May mga players na taga UP, Ateneo, San Beda, DLSU, UST, CSB, at iba pa na pag tinanong mo sa english e tagalog ang sagot. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Marami nga akong kilala pa english english pa bano naman, walang logic at walang sense kausap.

And I don't think english conversation skills is a measure of intelligence. It's just a measure of exposure to different languages and culture.* Scientific studies show that all of us are born universally adaptable to all kinds of languages. But as we grow older, we delete from our consciousness the languages that are useless to us and retain those that we can use in the environment we live in.*

I've been to several countries in Europe. I've met a lot of professionals who can only speak French. Intelligent, rich and well-known people.* But they can't speak english. And I can't describe them as not being well-rounded.

lekiboy
10-15-2008, 12:08 PM

May mga players na taga UP, Ateneo, San Beda, DLSU, UST, CSB, at iba pa na pag tinanong mo sa english e tagalog ang sagot. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Marami nga akong kilala pa english english pa bano naman, walang logic at walang sense kausap.

And I don't think english conversation skills is a measure of intelligence. It's just a measure of exposure to different languages and culture.* Scientific studies show that all of us are born universally adaptable to all kinds of languages. But as we grow older, we delete from our consciousness the languages that are useless to us and retain those that we can use in the environment we live in.*

I've been to several countries in Europe. I've met a lot of professionals who can only speak French. Intelligent, rich and well-known people.* But they can't speak english. And I can't describe them as not being well-rounded.

that's colonial mentality... :)

The_Big_Cat
10-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Don't worry...I don't think he has plans of recruiting any of his players from La Salle Zobel.

Malawak ang connections niya in the Visayas region.

Get_Blazed
10-15-2008, 04:29 PM

Sometimes players choose the team that can develop their playing ability. Isa na doon ang pagtingin kung sino ang coach ng isang team. Dahil kung sistema ng paaralan ang tinitingnan ng lahat ng basketball players sa Pilipinas, e bakit mahina ang team ng UP?

And I don't think english conversation skills is a measure of intelligence. It's just a measure of exposure to different languages and culture. Scientific studies show that all of us are born universally adaptable to all kinds of languages. But as we grow older, we delete from our consciousness the languages that are useless to us and retain those that we can use in the environment we live in.

I've been to several countries in Europe. I've met a lot of professionals who can only speak French. Intelligent, rich and well-known people. But they can't speak english. And I can't describe them as not being well-rounded.

Inteligence is not the main issue I pointed out, but the quality of education a school offers, which reflects on the students/players. If a person cannot answer a simple question in english, what does that say about him as a student of the institution? Or about the quality of education the school offers for that matter? We need not go far. Just as simple as answering in english, which is as good as that the medium of instruction of almost all educational institutions in the country.

Get_Blazed
10-15-2008, 04:30 PM
^Sorry for the OT.

LION
10-15-2008, 04:55 PM

Inteligence is not the main issue I pointed out, but the quality of education a school offers, which reflects on the students/players. If a person cannot answer a simple question in english, what does that say about him as a student of the institution? Or about the quality of education the school offers for that matter? We need not go far. Just as simple as answering in english, which is as good as that the medium of instruction of almost all educational institutions in the country.

Like I said in my earlier post, may mga players from UP, Ateneo, San Beda, DLSU, UST, CSB na sumasagot ng tagalog pag tinanong mo sa english.

boyscout
10-15-2008, 06:18 PM

Napakahina naman ni Boris Aldeguer kung wala siyang mahatak na players from Zobel kahit isa o dalawa man lang.

Malabo pero hindi imposible mangyari yan...mga anak at apo ng may ari ng perps ay karamihan nag-aral ng grade school at high school sa La Salle Zobel.

Big Bro
10-15-2008, 10:33 PM
If you will talk about "quality education" for sure that will have a very proximate relation with "intelligence".

I understand the point that you are trying to raise. It is a common knowledge that english language is a big deal to Filipinos.
Perhaps this was brought about by our colonial mentality, western influence & so much respect & "bilib" with the Americans

Speaking english well here in our beloved country seems to be a status symbol. Meaning, if you will talk to someone using this language people will look high on you & would put you on a higher pedestal. In short,"sosyal ka", "mayaman ka" or as you want to put it, "mataas ang pinagaralan mo".

But that is not the case. English has many dimensions & complexions. You can speak, read, write &/or comprehend with it. So if a person, especially a collegiate player whose main consideration for being accepted in a particular school is his athleticism, can not answer in english a simple question crafted in the english language this should not be a barometer in determining the quality and standard of education being offered by the school from which the interviewee comes.

One may not be fluent & comfortable in speaking english but this does not mean that he or she can not write well in english, or he or she can not understand the same.

Regular Grey
10-16-2008, 01:49 AM

Kaya na nga, e di dapat sa UP na lahat nagaaral magagaling na players kungSchool ang batayan. Idi na down mo ba ang SCHOOL ng UPHR sa sariling THREAD nila???

Big Bro
10-16-2008, 10:32 AM
Modesty speaking, from the time NCAA games are televised, whether thru live or delayed telecast, I watched 80% of the games, and that includes the game of CSB. From my observation, and this is objectively done, 95% of Blazers when get the opportunity to be interviewed answer in "tagalog". There were even times that the side court reporter would already anticipate and size up the capacity of the Blazer player and would just deliver his/her question in "tagalog".

Regular Grey
10-16-2008, 11:15 AM

There's a thread that GB started that was copied from another Forum - Correct usage ba yun ng English Language??? Nangopya na! Yung Mali pa!

Get_Blazed
10-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Kaya na nga, e di dapat sa UP na lahat nagaaral magagaling na players kungSchool ang batayan.* Idi na down mo ba ang SCHOOL ng UPHR sa sariling THREAD nila???

I did not. I didnt even mentioned names. But I know of one player who was asked a very simple question in english. He stammered and in front of a capacity crowd, was dumbfounded for a couple of seconds before the courtside reporter finally decided to dumb it down for him. Again, I refuse to name anyone, but this was in 2006.

Again, I apologize for the OT. Let it end here. We all get each other's point.

Get_Blazed
10-17-2008, 06:01 PM

There's a thread that GB started that was copied from another Forum - Correct usage ba yun ng English Language??? Nangopya na! Yung Mali pa!

I copied the whole thing and acknowledged that I only copy pasted the whole thing, to maintain the whole title it had in the other sub-fora, since it was just merely copied from another individual's post. This would be my last reply about this. OT.

LION
10-17-2008, 06:08 PM

Kaya na nga, e di dapat sa UP na lahat nagaaral magagaling na players kungSchool ang batayan.* Idi na down mo ba ang SCHOOL ng UPHR sa sariling THREAD nila???

I did not. I didnt even mentioned names. But I know of one player who was asked a very simple question in english. He stammered and in front of a capacity crowd, was dumbfounded for a couple of seconds before the courtside reporter finally decided to dumb it down for him. Again, I refuse to name anyone, but this was in 2006.

When you are being asked in a very noise environment and you can hardly hear the interviewer, you have the give the interviewee the benefit of the doubt.

As if CSB graduates are known for their intelligence. ::) ;D

Get_Blazed
10-17-2008, 06:12 PM

When you are being asked in a very noise environment and you can hardly hear the interviewer, you have the give the interviewee the benefit of the doubt.

As if CSB graduates are known for their intelligence.* ::)* *;D*

No doubt he heard the question, he just didnt understand it. He didnt even attempted to ask again what the question was. He just stood there and looked stupid.::)

And what was that about? Now your dropping names, youre going below the belt there.

LION
10-17-2008, 06:16 PM
^^ ^Besides, that player's IQ and NCEE rating (or whatever is the equivalent now) *are definitely higher than those of some players in ____________ *known for their ehem... low IQ. * *;) *

Get_Blazed
10-17-2008, 06:22 PM
^^ ^Besides, that player's IQ and NCEE rating (or whatever is the equivalent now) *are definitely higher than those of some players in ____________ *known for their ehem... low IQ. * *;) *

I certainly doubt that. ::) Now where's that clip..;D

LION
10-17-2008, 06:23 PM

And he's not as stupid as Paolo Orbeta. ;)

LION
10-17-2008, 06:30 PM

And after SBC won the grandslam, you can even include clips of his subsequent interviews on tv where he answered questions in a straightforward manner. Of course, you have to forgive the ilokano accent and the obvious discomfort of a provinciano who is being interviewed in front of the camera.

Sayang wala kasing nag iinterview sa mga Blazers. Mas masaya sana. ;)

Get_Blazed
10-17-2008, 06:32 PM

And he's not as stupid as Paolo Orbeta.* ;)

Wow, youre certainly very sensitive about this matter. All I can tell you is that Paolo made an honest mistake which he already paid for, but he is not intellectually inferior to whoever "this guy" is. I am witness.

LION
10-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Let me remind you about the history or origin of CSB -

The Community College was officially renamed to De La Salle University-College of Saint Benilde in 1988, after the establishment of the De La Salle University System. Saint Benilde was selected as the namesake of the college to symbolize its objective of providing innovative education for the verbally but not numerically gifted, late bloomers, handicapped, as well as artists. Saint Benilde made room for his students in Clermont-Ferrand in France no matter what age or mental level they have.

And that account did not come from me. :)

Get_Blazed
10-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Let me remind you about the history or origin of CSB -

The Community College was officially renamed to De La Salle University-College of Saint Benilde in 1988, after the establishment of the De La Salle University System. Saint Benilde was selected as the namesake of the college to symbolize its objective of providing innovative education for the verbally but not numerically gifted, late bloomers, handicapped, as well as artists. Saint Benilde made room for his students in Clermont-Ferrand in France no matter what age or mental level they have.

And that account did not come from me.* :)

And that did not even come from the official page of the College.

LION
10-17-2008, 06:41 PM
And I wonder why.

LION
10-17-2008, 06:43 PM
Ok I apologize too for being OT. This will be my last post regarding this issue.

Get_Blazed
10-17-2008, 06:45 PM
And I wonder why.

Completely taken our of context. You merely copy pasted Saint Benilde's bio from the net and added that in the end of the old info of CSB.

My last post. Really.

AnthonyServinio
10-18-2008, 01:06 AM

Malawak ang connections niya in the Visayas region.

THAT'S correct. The Aldeguer Family traces their roots to Bacolod City. An uncle, Antonio Aldeguer, is based in Cebu and founded the famous ALA Boxing Stable.

By the way, Coach Aldeguer's younger brother Dino played professionally in the MBA and PBA for the Negros Slashers and Alaska Aces. An elder sister Ella was a one-time UAAP courtside reporter (Silverstar) and is married to Coca-Cola head coach Vincent Favis.

Regular Grey
10-18-2008, 02:31 AM

Wow, youre certainly very sensitive about this matter. All I can tell you is that Paolo made an honest mistake which he already paid for, but he is not intellectually inferior to whoever "this guy" is. I am witness.

Papaano naging HONEST mistake ang pag benta ng Laro?* E THERE'S NOTHING HONEST ABOUT WHAT HE DID!!! wOW, THAT IS NOT stupid????

The_Big_Cat
10-18-2008, 09:48 AM
* * *THAT'S correct.* The Aldeguer Family traces their roots to Bacolod City.* An uncle, Antonio Aldeguer, is based in Cebu and founded the famous ALA Boxing Stable.

* * *By the way, Coach Aldeguer's younger brother Dino played professionally in the MBA and PBA for the Negros Slashers and Alaska Aces.* An elder sister Ella was a one-time UAAP courtside reporter (Silverstar) and is married to Coca-Cola head coach Vincent Favis.

Yes. He has Ilonggo blood. It will not be a surprise if Perpetual ends up with the "hot prospects" from the south.
Goodluck to Coach Boris with his rebuilding program in Perpetual.

bchoter
10-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Dambel-ak gayam. Ay apo pakawanen dak apo, ilocano nak laeng. Kasau dak ilocoano ket sigurado nga maka sungbat nak. English? Madek ammu.

Uk_nna nan... (slaps forehead). Dambel-ak gayam.

toti_mendiola
10-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Obviously this poster from Benilde have not heard Sunday Salvacion in an interview. inyamit ten,nala laing met ni ogie nga agsarita ti english.

bossman
10-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Obviously this poster from Benilde have not heard Sunday Salvacion in an interview. inyamit ten,nala laing met ni ogie nga agsarita ti english.

Yaan nyo na si Sunday. Yaan na din natin si Ogie. Sablay lang interview nila. Basta ako I know na talagang mahirap iinterview mga players nun time ko. Basta galing sila and that's it. Basketball naman usapan dito diba and anu naman ngayon kung makakuha si Coach Boris ng players na galing DLSZ papunta dito? It means he is just doing his job. Huwag nyo na pansinin kung di sila marunong mag english o hindi. Basta ako I don't care kung anu sasabihin about Perps. Its just about basketball and we don't give a ***** about it..

Regular Grey
10-20-2008, 02:23 AM
Di naman sana mabubuksan ito kung di dahil may isang nagsimulang mag KUMPARA!!

bchoter
10-22-2008, 12:25 AM
From somebody who knows coach Boris "naka kasa na sa perpetual ang ilang players ng zobel"

Regular Grey
10-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Di Puwede yun boss Bchoter - May magagalit sa yo. Wala raw karapatan piliin ang UPHR over . . . . . . .. .

bchoter
10-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Hehehe... let go nalang bro. Mag celebrate ka nalang ng konti if this is indeed true ;)

franz_inwurdz
10-22-2008, 09:23 AM
Regardless of what uniform color the guys from Zobel will wear next year, I wish them and their respective teams goodluck. What a pretentious prick :D

Regular Grey
10-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Ok i will let go, Sana di na humirit ng ganun. Porke't wala masyadong taga UPHR na nag post dito. He he he. Good Luck Altas. Good Luck Coach Boris.

bossman
10-22-2008, 07:25 PM
From somebody who knows coach Boris "naka kasa na sa perpetual ang ilang players ng zobel"

Galing talaga Bchoter. Kung ako naman tanungin mo for example galing DLSZ at stand out din ako and gusto ko talaga mabigyan ng break sa basketball I would go to UPHR kasi dati ko coach si Coach Boris e. Masakit din sa mga players yun na gusto mo nga mag aral sa isang school but ayaw ka naman ligawan o gawin ka lang team B kahit alam mo na pang Team A ka. May pride ka din syempre to prove them wrong. For sure bibigyan nya ako ng magandang exposure and pasikatin nya pa ako kasi bata nya ako. Hehe. Tska job ni Coach Boris mag recruit ng players di ba? Kung mag punta mga taga DLSZ sa kanya it means either pinatawag nya or hinatak nya talaga. I see nothing wrong kung mag UPHR sila, kasalanan pa ng ibang schools kung bakit sila hindi makakuha galing players. It means they don't have a recruitment program

glock23
10-23-2008, 03:04 PM
another thread ruined by a pissing contest! Just let them be, wala na tayong pakialam if Boris gets some of the players from Zobel or anywhere else. he was hired as head coach and we should allow him to do his job.

Now, about the never ending topic of basketball players from different schools and their "intelligence", cant you just accept it that all schools are lenient to athletes? Yes, ALL schools, no exceptions!!! That is because we all recognize that it is their God given talent to be good at hoops and the schools just have to make sure that those are put to good use. The school in turn should do it's part in shaping their values and ensuring that the kids will be ready in the real world.

If we learn to accept the players for what they really are good at instead of bragging that all their players are "smart" and making the whole country know about it then we're in for a merry-go-round!

bossman
10-23-2008, 03:11 PM
another thread ruined by a pissing contest! Just let them be, wala na tayong pakialam if Boris gets some of the players from Zobel or anywhere else. he was hired as head coach and we should allow him to do his job.

Now, about the never ending topic of basketball players from different schools and their "intelligence", cant you just accept it that all schools are lenient to athletes? Yes, ALL schools, no exceptions!!! That is because we all recognize that it is their God given talent to be good at hoops and the schools just have to make sure that those are put to good use. The school in turn should do it's part in shaping their values and ensuring that the kids will be ready in the real world.

If we learn to accept the players for what they really are good at instead of bragging that all their players are "smart" and making the whole country know about it then we're in for a merry-go-round!

It is well said. UPHR and Coach Boris can get all the players they want from whatever school. Its their call. It will just be problems for the other teams that they cannot get good talents and UPHR has a very good crack at it.

glock23
10-23-2008, 03:55 PM

It is well said. UPHR and Coach Boris can get all the players they want from whatever school. Its their call. It will just be problems for the other teams that they cannot get good talents and UPHR has a very good crack at it.

Thats life man! We in DLSU will never take it against any lasallian who choose to play in another school. Di kami Hoarder ng player just so other schools will not get our HS graduates. If they think that they would have a better chance of honing their basketball skills or getting playing time then so be it.

LION
10-24-2008, 07:38 AM

Totally agree. That was my message from the very start.

lekiboy
10-24-2008, 08:42 AM

toti- ang tawag diyan FBI..... :)

sayang- di na namin maaasar si coach bai.....

Regular Grey
10-24-2008, 01:23 PM

I agree.

bossman
10-24-2008, 01:43 PM

I agree.

I second the motion. It was just that UPHR was discriminated in their right of picking players. Let just the issue about UPHR. Nothing more than that. UPHR Basketball, Coach Boris Aldeguer and thats it

bchoter
10-24-2008, 02:23 PM
So group hug na and move on ;)

Regular Grey
10-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Sports
Leap of faith
SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson
Sunday, October 26, 2008

Boris Aldeguer was enjoying the experience of a lifetime as a San Miguel Beer assistant coach in Siot Tanquingcen’s staff in the PBA last conference when an invitation came to call the shots for the University of Perpetual Help System varsity team in the NCAA.

Aldeguer, who coached La Salle Zobel to a pair of UAAP junior titles, just couldn’t turn down the chance to take the biggest step so far in his coaching career. Starting Nov. 5, he formally takes over the Altas reins.

Although his one-year contract with San Miguel hadn’t expired, Aldeguer was allowed to leave by Tanquingcen.

“I’m really grateful to coach Siot and the San Miguel organization,” said Aldeguer. “When I talked to coach Siot, he understood my circumstances. He advised me to do what is best for my family and my career. He assured me of his support all the way. That’s what makes San Miguel special. They take care of their people. It was basically my decision to leave and they allowed me to go.”

Aldeguer, 33, said even if he stayed only one conference with San Miguel, he learned a lot.

“Coach Siot is a very detailed person,” he continued. “You can’t believe how much I learned from his system, offensively and defensively. The experience will help me a lot in my career. It was a full-time job so I was really focused. But when the call came from Perpetual, I thought it would be a good career move to accept the offer. I would be back as head coach at a higher level, the seniors division in the NCAA.”

Aldeguer said Perpetual owner Dr. Tony Tamayo is determined to turn the Altas into a serious title contender in the next three years.

“There’s a lot of pressure in the job,” said Aldeguer. “I’m putting together a three-year program with the goal of becoming a title contender. I’m committed and I’ll do my best to make it work.”

Aldeguer inherits a team that finished in the cellar with only two wins under coach Bai Cristobal last season and lost four players to graduation. Perpetual has never won an NCAA title since joining the league in 1984 although the team went to the finals twice. Among Perpetual’s well-known cage alumni are Bong Hawkins, Gilbert Malabanan, Jojo Manalo and Chester Tolomia.

“Three of the four who graduated were key players and one was a big man,” he said. “We lack big guys. As it is, we’re loaded with guards. We’ll definitely rebuild. Dr. Tamayo is giving the team his all-out support. He wants to change the team’s image. He wants a winning program.”

Aldeguer said in the collegiate leagues, recruiting is the name of the game as schools are even scouting for overseas reinforcements.

“We’ll do a lot of heavy recruiting for the future,” said Aldeguer. “We’ll go to the provinces and give a chance for players to get an education and play for Perpetual. We may also look for talent abroad.”

The Perpetual educational system operates eight campuses throughout the country. The Las Piñas school has an enrollment of about 11,500 – third largest in the NCAA after Mapua and College of St. Benilde.

Aldeguer said aside from the Perpetual job, he’s hoping to continue being a consultant for La Salle Zobel’s junior team whose head coach Gian Nazario was his hand-picked successor. When we spoke yesterday, he was at the Zobel gym training the Junior Archers for the coming Inter-La Salle high school tournament in Bacolod.

Aldeguer has deep roots at Zobel where he played two years for the varsity with teammates Jason Webb and Luigi Trillo under coach Joseph Uichico. He tried out for the Archers senior team but didn’t make it. Aldeguer was coach Gabby Velasco’s last cut in 1992.

“I didn’t pursue my playing career after I was cut,” he said. “I was in Team B with Maui Roca and Cali Ofrecio who later joined Team A. It was difficult to crack the lineup which had players like Jun Limpot, Jason, Tyrone Bautista, Tony Boy Espinosa, Jonas Mariano and the Lago brothers. I finished my economics degree at La Salle in 1999 and turned to coaching.”

Will he encourage Zobel players to try out for Perpetual?

“They’re free to try out for whatever senior team they choose,” said Aldeguer. “Of course, their priority should be La Salle. But if they choose to try out for Perpetual, we’re open.”

Aldeguer said his exposure to the PBA was an eye-opener.

“In the pros, you deal with players who don’t need too much teaching anymore because they’re already so good,” he said. “The challenge is to make them work together as a team. In college, you’ve got to teach the basics. What I like about coaching in college is the desire the players have. They’re aspiring to someday play in the PBA and they work extra hard to live that dream.”

Aldeguer’s advantage is he has already experienced the PBA from a coaching point of view.”

Aldeguer, whose younger brother Dino starred for the Archers, is in the crossroads of his career. The move to Perpetual is like a leap of faith because Aldeguer left a stable situation at San Miguel to walk into an unsure situation. But Aldeguer said he’s ready to take the plunge.

Aldeguer and his wife Pia welcomed their first child, Amanda Lauren, three weeks ago and that could be a sign of good things to come for Perpetual’s new head coach.

http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20081025155

bchoter
10-26-2008, 02:37 AM
A personnel from another UAAP school turned down the coaching job plus the AD position before coach Boris was offered the job

gamecritic
10-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Sports
Leap of faith
SPORTING CHANCE By Joaquin M. Henson
Sunday, October 26, 2008

Boris Aldeguer was enjoying the experience of a lifetime as a San Miguel Beer assistant coach in Siot Tanquingcen’s staff in the PBA last conference when an invitation came to call the shots for the University of Perpetual Help System varsity team in the NCAA.

Aldeguer, who coached La Salle Zobel to a pair of UAAP junior titles, just couldn’t turn down the chance to take the biggest step so far in his coaching career. Starting Nov. 5, he formally takes over the Altas reins.

Although his one-year contract with San Miguel hadn’t expired, Aldeguer was allowed to leave by Tanquingcen.

“I’m really grateful to coach Siot and the San Miguel organization,” said Aldeguer. “When I talked to coach Siot, he understood my circumstances. He advised me to do what is best for my family and my career. He assured me of his support all the way. That’s what makes San Miguel special. They take care of their people. It was basically my decision to leave and they allowed me to go.”

Aldeguer, 33, said even if he stayed only one conference with San Miguel, he learned a lot.

“Coach Siot is a very detailed person,” he continued. “You can’t believe how much I learned from his system, offensively and defensively. The experience will help me a lot in my career. It was a full-time job so I was really focused. But when the call came from Perpetual, I thought it would be a good career move to accept the offer. I would be back as head coach at a higher level, the seniors division in the NCAA.”

Aldeguer said Perpetual owner Dr. Tony Tamayo is determined to turn the Altas into a serious title contender in the next three years.

“There’s a lot of pressure in the job,” said Aldeguer. “I’m putting together a three-year program with the goal of becoming a title contender. I’m committed and I’ll do my best to make it work.”

Aldeguer inherits a team that finished in the cellar with only two wins under coach Bai Cristobal last season and lost four players to graduation. Perpetual has never won an NCAA title since joining the league in 1984 although the team went to the finals twice. Among Perpetual’s well-known cage alumni are Bong Hawkins, Gilbert Malabanan, Jojo Manalo and Chester Tolomia.

“Three of the four who graduated were key players and one was a big man,” he said. “We lack big guys. As it is, we’re loaded with guards. We’ll definitely rebuild. Dr. Tamayo is giving the team his all-out support. He wants to change the team’s image. He wants a winning program.”

Aldeguer said in the collegiate leagues, recruiting is the name of the game as schools are even scouting for overseas reinforcements.

“We’ll do a lot of heavy recruiting for the future,” said Aldeguer. “We’ll go to the provinces and give a chance for players to get an education and play for Perpetual. We may also look for talent abroad.”

The Perpetual educational system operates eight campuses throughout the country. The Las Piñas school has an enrollment of about 11,500 – third largest in the NCAA after Mapua and College of St. Benilde.

Aldeguer said aside from the Perpetual job, he’s hoping to continue being a consultant for La Salle Zobel’s junior team whose head coach Gian Nazario was his hand-picked successor. When we spoke yesterday, he was at the Zobel gym training the Junior Archers for the coming Inter-La Salle high school tournament in Bacolod.

Aldeguer has deep roots at Zobel where he played two years for the varsity with teammates Jason Webb and Luigi Trillo under coach Joseph Uichico. He tried out for the Archers senior team but didn’t make it. Aldeguer was coach Gabby Velasco’s last cut in 1992.

“I didn’t pursue my playing career after I was cut,” he said. “I was in Team B with Maui Roca and Cali Ofrecio who later joined Team A. It was difficult to crack the lineup which had players like Jun Limpot, Jason, Tyrone Bautista, Tony Boy Espinosa, Jonas Mariano and the Lago brothers. I finished my economics degree at La Salle in 1999 and turned to coaching.”

“They’re free to try out for whatever senior team they choose,” said Aldeguer. “Of course, their priority should be La Salle. But if they choose to try out for Perpetual, we’re open.”

Aldeguer said his exposure to the PBA was an eye-opener.

“In the pros, you deal with players who don’t need too much teaching anymore because they’re already so good,” he said. “The challenge is to make them work together as a team. In college, you’ve got to teach the basics. What I like about coaching in college is the desire the players have. They’re aspiring to someday play in the PBA and they work extra hard to live that dream.”

Aldeguer’s advantage is he has already experienced the PBA from a coaching point of view.”

Aldeguer, whose younger brother Dino starred for the Archers, is in the crossroads of his career. The move to Perpetual is like a leap of faith because Aldeguer left a stable situation at San Miguel to walk into an unsure situation. But Aldeguer said he’s ready to take the plunge.

Aldeguer and his wife Pia welcomed their first child, Amanda Lauren, three weeks ago and that could be a sign of good things to come for Perpetual’s new head coach.

http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20081025155

Sino ba kasi nagmamagaling at ayaw magpapunta ng players ng zobel dito? Napakagaling naman nun sa pag analyze ng basketball para magsabi ganun. Ganyan ba kayo sa mga taga UPHR? Ang sama naman ng tignin nyo.

Regular Grey
11-02-2008, 05:33 PM
O hinahanap ka GB. Di ka na sumagot?

Get_Blazed
11-05-2008, 06:02 PM

Sino? Ikaw ang naghahanap sakin eh. ;D

Regular Grey
11-05-2008, 07:40 PM

Sino? Ikaw ang naghahanap sakin eh. ;D

Medyo mahina ba talga pick up mo? Nawala ka na kasi matapos kang magyabang dito sa mga taga Perpetual, bigla ka nang nawala.

May nag comment pa sa sa mga pinag sasabi. Pati nga si Coach Boris ang sabi ,

So nasan na yung I DOUBT MO!

mighty_lion
11-05-2008, 08:50 PM
tama na yan mga parekoy. lapit naman na christmas. :)

Regular Grey
11-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Merry Christmas parekoy!

bossman
11-05-2008, 10:58 PM
A personnel from another UAAP school turned down the coaching job plus the AD position before coach Boris was offered the job

Manong sinong coach naman yun nasa scoop mo? ::)

gamecritic
11-05-2008, 11:17 PM

Basketball nalang pag usapan natin. alamin mo muna basketball knowledge bago ka mag judge ng school. kahit taga csb ka hindi mo alam nangyayari sa real basketball scene.

bossman
11-06-2008, 04:00 PM

Basketball nalang pag usapan natin. alamin mo muna basketball knowledge bago ka mag judge ng school. kahit taga csb ka hindi mo alam nangyayari sa real basketball scene.

Looks like your on fire ah..

gamecritic
11-06-2008, 10:47 PM

Looks like your on fire ah..

Kasi taga UPHR ako and grabe yun insult nya. ganun ba tignin nya sa amin. simple lang yun insult nya but malakas ang patama. akala mo naman para sya isang napakagaling na basketball analyst.

bchoter
11-07-2008, 08:16 AM
It's up to you if you want to dwell on it and thread the path PEX has famously taken.

Sagutan nalang kayo tol

gamecritic
11-08-2008, 11:07 AM
It's up to you if you want to dwell on it and thread the path PEX has famously taken.

Sagutan nalang kayo tol

Sorry for the outrage. It's just that my loyalty runs deep for my school.

bchoter
11-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Sige tuloy lang ang outrage...

PEX PEX PEX PEX PEX

professor
11-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Bris Aldeguer is now culling the current team in the recent practices at the school. He is down to an 18-man pool. The former Team B players are in the Team A already and have changed the overall ability of this team to compete in the upcoming NCAA wars. Good luck to them.

Get_Blazed
11-10-2008, 03:00 PM

I dont think you even know what the argument was about, OT na nga kami eh. Which means di na UPHR ang usapan. And that is where we left off and we do not mean to start arguing again. Matagal na akong nanahimik para wala nang gulo.

dioning
12-31-2008, 04:52 PM
update naman diyan
kamusta na ang team ni boris?

imike24
07-05-2009, 09:27 PM
ok

[SIZE=1][FONT=arial]__________________
devices (http://www.top5penisdevices.com/) exercises (http://www.top5penisexercises.com/) patches (http://www.top5penispatches.com/) pills (http://www.top5penispills.com/) quit smoking (http://www.quitsmokingreviews.info/) top weightloss pills (http://www.top5weightlosspills.com/) top diet pills (http://www.top5dietpills.co.uk/)

professor
07-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Palaging nagkakasakit ang mga players dahil ang sikip ng dorm. Pinagsamasama ang mga varsity men athletes sa isang military style dorm. Hayun palaging epidemic style ang sakit. Sa last game 7 sa mga players had fever symptons.

Joescoundrel
01-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Saturday January 16 at Lyceum Gym, Intramuros Manila

9:00 AM - STI versus FEU
10:30 AM - AMA versus Informatics
12:00 NN - Perpetual versus Fatima (Battle of the Mama Mary Schools!)
1:30 PM - Lyceum versus CEU
3:00 PM - Arellano A versus Adamson

Sunday January 17 at FEU Gym, R Papa Manila

10:30 AM - FEU versus JRU
12:00 NN - San Sebastian versus Mapua A
1:30 PM - Arellano B versus UP
3:00 PM - St Benilde versus San Beda

Saturday January 23 at Arellano Gym, Legarda Manila

9:00 AM - Informatics versus Arellano B
10:30 AM - Letran versus EAC
12:00 NN - Mapua B versus Fatima
1:30 PM - Lyceum versus San Sebastian
3:00 PM - Adamson versus FEU

Sunday January 24 at FEU Gym

9:00 AM - Mapua A versus UP
10:30 AM - Mapua B versus San Beda
12:00 NN - Perpetual versus St Benilde
1:30 PM - JRU versus Arellano A
3:00 PM - CEU versus AMA

Saturday January 30 at Arellano Gym

9:00 AM - Adamson versus STI
10:30 AM - Mapua A versus Letran
12:00 NN - St Benilde versus JRU
4:00 PM San Beda versus FEU (to be played at San Beda Gym as part of San Beda College FROLICS DAY)

Sunday January 31 at FEU Gym

9:00 AM - AMA versus UP
10:30 AM - Arellano A versus Mapua B
12:00 NN - Fatima versus St Benilde

All schedules may be subject to change without prior notice

Gameface is Philippine Basketball

gallery
01-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Perpetual d. CSB today

Current Standing is 4-2

*Winning against JRU, Arellano-A, Fatima, CSB and losing to SBC, FEU

Joescoundrel
02-12-2010, 09:34 PM
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/Joescoundrel/Mapua-PerpFMC20103.jpg

Image by Joe Buduan

Joescoundrel
02-12-2010, 09:35 PM
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/Joescoundrel/Mapua-PerpFMC20104.jpg

Image by Joe Buduan

Joescoundrel
02-12-2010, 09:36 PM
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/Joescoundrel/Mapua-PerpFMC20105.jpg

Image by Joe Buduan

Joescoundrel
02-12-2010, 09:36 PM
http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/Joescoundrel/Mapua-PerpFMC20106.jpg

Image by Joe Buduan

gameface_one
06-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Perpetual Help: Building Up

When the ordinary basketball fan takes a look at the last couple of years of Perpetual Help basketball, it might be difficult to imagine that as late as the middle of the decade that the Altas of the amiable Tamayo Family figured in the NCAA basketball championship. That was the time they still had the likes of Vladimir Joe and Fritz Bauzon, and a slew of talented players who competed and battled and and hustled for every possession in every game.

Since then, Perpetual Help has mostly spun its wheels. It is not because they lack talent or even size. They’ve had and continue to have quite a number of players with good skill and big fighting heart. Hotshot guard Ronald Reyes, and the Kong Brothers used to pit themselves shot for shot against the best college stars in the league and in the country. Forward Boy Balboa was also a solid contributor, as was center Nat Salanga. They used to be mentored by the indefatigable Bay Cristobal, a PBA legend and a man with a college championship pedigree. Somehow all this just was not enough to keep them at least over .500 over the last three years or so.

In Season 85, it was another disappointing campaign for the Altas as they failed to even break even in their standing. Some games were close, but a lot of games were blowouts, and not the type that Perpetual Help fans like. It seemed these Altas were always in the game up to the first half only, sometimes only in the first quarter. Suddenly the opposing team would get on a run and Perpetual Help was staring a huge double-digit deficit in the face, seemingly unable to mount a counter-attack or even a credible defense to stem the tide. “We always want to be competitive in a tough league like the NCAA, although it can be really hard,” said head coach Boris Aldeguer in one offseason interview.

Some old reliable and some new faces stepped up last season and are returning to the roster this season. Brawny 6-foot-3 center-forward Raffy Ynion leads the charge. Ynion may not have the height of other NCAA post players, but he does bring his thick and muscular frame into the low blocks where he is nearly impossible to move. Also returning is a pair of hotshot guards: 5-foot-8 Robin Rono and 5-foot-9 Chris Elopre. Rono and Elopre play similar games, and neither is a pure pointguard or a pure off-guard. Both can score from long range and heat up in a hurry. Both can run the wings in transition and even anchor the break after the first outlet. Hopefully they learned how to be better distributors and handlers over the offseason because they will be the primary press break of the Altas.

There are also a couple of newcomers who might be able to contribute right away for Coach Aldeguer. Arguably the most notable of these new guys would be Arnold Danganan, a 5-foot-11 swingman who played a couple of seasons with NAASCU powerhouse STI College. Danganan was a stone scorer who could cut up defenses, fill the lanes and shoot from just about anywhere as an Olympian.

Junior division action has been even tougher for the high school team, since the NCAA is considered the best high school tournament in the country. They did however make some Final 4 noise in Season 85. Joseph Eriobu is no longer with the team, which means pointguard Gino Alolino is their new heart and soul.

Joescoundrel
09-08-2010, 03:12 PM
While the Altas remain winless in the senior division, Gelo Alolino might just bring the Altalets to the junior division Finals.

gallery
09-17-2010, 08:39 AM
http://ph.promotion.yahoo.com/college-hoops/court-experts-article?blogid=college_hoops&postid=185&viewPost=1

The UPHSD Altas: Keeping It Real
By Anthony Suntay, for Yahoo! Southeast Asia Thursday September 16, 2010 12:21 am PDT

The Altas may have been crippled with the loss of key players, but coach Boris Aldeguer says he's kept the team on track despite a heartbreak season.

There will always be trials in life, and if you look at the situation of Perpetual Help's head coach Boris Aldeguer faces in the 86th Season of the NCAA, I guess you might say that trials are par for the course. They have yet to win a single game, with a record of 0-12 – a huge disappointment given their very successful pre-season. But as they also say, eventually, there is always that light at the end of the tunnel.

You had pretty lofty expectations entering this season, what happened to your key players?
Boris: Two days before our opening game NCAA mancom decided to disqualify two of my starting big-men, namely Paul Nuilan and Marlon Gomes, for not meeting the requirements of the NCAA rules.

What was management's reaction when they found out these players were not allowed for the season?
We presented to management all the documents and papers of both players, and showed that there was nothing wrong with [them]. I still truly believe that the school fully complied with the rules and regulations of the NCAA rules, unfortunately the NCAA Management committee saw it otherwise. [UPHSD's] management made their own investigation and decided not to pursue the appeal… Just go on with the season with the full knowledge that it was going to be difficult to win.

What did this force you to do during the season, since you were going to rely on these players to carry you through the year?
Since we lost two key big guys, I knew that it was going to be a long season for us since most our strength relied on the two. I had to make big adjustments to the extent of transforming some of my guards into playing the big-man's role which was difficult – they had to battle guys twice their size. In a basketball team, players are made to gel and work with each other with their respective roles for at least a year. I had to do it in two days.

What was your new target during the year ?
After playing and losing four straight games, I knew it was difficult for us to win against teams with big men. It so happened that every team in the NCAA had dominating big men. We could not match-up well. We were out rebounded every game. The only realistic target I had for the team was just to compete and not be blown out, and hope we could hold on until the last minute of the game and win. Unfortunately, we haven't been successful so far.

How did you try to deal with the losses and keep your players motivated?

After having successful pre-season tournaments, it was hard for us dealing with straight losses in the NCAA. Right now, i just want my players to enjoy playing the game. No matter what the outcome of our season will be, I just want them too look back and proudly say that they gave their best, with no regrets. In the first part of the season, we felt down and out when we lost two of our key players, but right now we have come to accept our fate and just enjoy the rest of the games. In short, I can say that my players are still intact and ready to play every game. Practice has never been this fun for them, thats what I try to do now. I used to yell and shout and beat them up good in practice, but now I've mellowed and come to accept reality, and let them just play and enjoy.

What are your plans for next year? Do you have new players coming in? Will you be back?

I'm not sure yet if I'll be back for another year. I'll have to talk to management right after the season. Top management has been very understanding from the start and I'm grateful to have worked with them inspite of these unfortunate events. Every year I try to recruit as much as I can. We have a lot of promising players coming, including Nigerians that would help boost the basketball program of Perpetual even if I'm no longer here.

As a footnote, you are also coaching the DLS-Zobel squad in the UAAP Juniors division. How are you able to stay on top of two teams in two different leagues? And did your disappointment with Perpetual spill over into your juniors team?

With the help of my assistant coaches and a little time management, I could say I was able to prepare both teams well before the season began. Everything was running smoothly until the disqualification of my two players in Perpetual. Everything kind of went down hill from there, and I have to admit that it affected me as a coach and how I was coaching the Zobel team. Somehow in the end, I was able to regroup myself with the help of my family, coaching staff and both managements. I'm not sure if I can do the same thing next season, but I can say I am a better person now after all this.

Wang-Bu
03-15-2011, 10:14 AM
makakalaro na ba finally para sa perpetual sina nuilan at gomes?

duphaR007
04-11-2011, 07:54 PM
saw to black guys sa perpetual compound last week. i think they're both staying sa building where steps sa pers restaurant is located. one of the black guys stand about 6'6" while the other one is about 6'4"

Joescoundrel
05-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Playing back-to-back game days, reigning Fr Martin champion Ateneo played just hard enough to overcome stubborn Perpetual Help 82 - 69 and remain unbeaten in summer play.

Up 21-9 to end the opening period, Ateneo experimented by putting the comebacking Oping Sumalinog with newcomers Mark Tallo, Kiefer Ravena, Gwynne Capacio and Von Pessumal. This was all the Altas needed to instigate a heated rallye behind Jet Vidal's sniping and Marlon Gomez's forays into the lane. Perpetual chewed away at the lead and came within 29-27.

Greg Slaughter, Nico Salva, Kirk Long, Tonino Gonzaga and Eman Monfort were sent back in to steady the ship, but Chris Elopre and George Allen joined the fray along with Jun Nuilan to stay toe-to-toe with the Blue Eagles. 6'5" African import Adefemi Babayeme also helped tend the boards and body up against the 7-foot Slaughter.

Ateneo opened up another double-digit lead at 61-51 entering the fourth period behind the transition game of Salva and the quarterbacking of Monfort and Ravena. Vidal and Gomez would go for one last sruge but simply didn't have enough in the tank. Long was visibly flustered by the physical defense of Vidal but kept his cool.

Monfort led the team with 16, while Salva and Slaughter had 12 each. Slaughter also had 10 boards.

Vidal led all scorers with 20 points including four treys while Gomez added 15 points and 10 rebounds. Gomez and Nuilan should be ready for NCAA Season 87 after they were found ineligible on a very late protest last season.

naz-T
11-23-2011, 09:37 AM
May coaching changes ba dito?

Joescoundrel
11-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Coach Jicks Jican, who handled the Altas this year with the sudden resignation of Boris Aldeguer, will likely get a longer-term appointment as head coach.

There are other reports however that former Altas coach Bai Cristobal is also looking to make a comeback.

Hopefully they can already field 6'5" African center-forward Adefemi Babayene (God I hope I got that name right...) in Season 88, because being a cellar dweller is probably not the perpetual they want to be...

bchoter
11-23-2011, 01:30 PM
They have another import, Nosa Omorogbe, who actually is better. He scored 39 points in one Fr. Martin game and that was just for 3 quarters. But he comes with a baggage

Joescoundrel
11-24-2011, 07:13 AM
^ Basta Louis Vuitton na baggage Ok lang, brod... ;D

How big is this new guy?

bchoter
11-24-2011, 10:01 AM
^ Close to Phemie's height.

Mukhang di ko na makita yung records niya sa Bulgarian pro league. Mukhang scrubbed

Joescoundrel
11-25-2011, 09:28 AM
^ Pro league ba ka'mo sa Bulgaria? Wala na 'yon, the Bulgarian secret police must have already shredded it into the local yoghurt.

Pero kung nag-Pro na 'yan patay sa silip brigade ng NCAA 'yan for sure, hehehe...!

LION
11-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Sana lagi manalo ang Perps para makita natin lagi si Bianca. ;D

bchoter
11-25-2011, 04:37 PM
^ Pro league ba ka'mo sa Bulgaria? Wala na 'yon, the Bulgarian secret police must have already shredded it into the local yoghurt.

Pero kung nag-Pro na 'yan patay sa silip brigade ng NCAA 'yan for sure, hehehe...!
Ang excuse yata niya is yung twin brother daw niya ang nag pro pero pangalan niya ang ginamit. Sabagay minsan nagkakatotoo ang "the dog-ate-my-homework alibi" hehe

bchoter
11-25-2011, 04:38 PM
Sana lagi manalo ang Perps para makita natin lagi si Bianca. ;D

Naway magkaroon ng weekend game ang NCAA nang masilayan ko naman si Bianca ;)

Sam Miguel
06-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Ateneo De Manila was 2-3 yesterday in Fr Martin Cup action, as the Blue Eaglets defeated the Adamson Baby Falcons 66-61, the Blue Eagles licked the UP Fighting Maroons 65-53, while the Lady Eagles bowed to the FEU Lady Tams 43-41.

The Lasalle Lady Archers also disposed of the Fatima Lady Phoenix.

Men's quarterfinals will be tomorrow Tuesday at the San Beda gym in Mendiola, Manila commencing at 10:30 AM.

Matches in the Gabby Severino Quarterfinals are as follows:

JRU versus Letran
Ateneo A versus Perpetual Help
UE versus Lasalle
Adamson versus FEU

There will also be one last junior division elimination round game at 9:00 Am of this same game day pitting San Beda HS A versus STI Juniors.

All seminifnal games will be held on Thursday June 7 at Trinity University gym in E Rodriguez. Match-ups in teh senior division will be determined based on the outcomes of the Gabby Severino Quarterfinals.

Ladies' semifinals have Lasalle versus Lyceum and FEU versus Adamson.

Finals for all three divisions will be on Sunday June 10 at the San Beda gym in Mendiola. It will be a one-game winner-take-all match for all three division championships.

Sam Miguel
06-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Game results of the Gabby Severino Quarterfinals at San Beda yesterday:

San Beda HS A beat STI Juniors 91-56 (end of junior division eliminations)

JRU beat Letran 89-79
Ateneo A beat Perpetual 80-61
UE beat Lasalle 64-63
Adamson beat FEU 52-51

bchoter
06-30-2012, 09:30 PM
http://www.interaksyon.com/interaktv/aric-magic-perpetual-shocks-letran-for-2nd-straight-win

InterAKTV/Justin Gener
“OK lang na tinalo nila tayo sa FilOil, tinalo din nila tayo sa Fr. Martin Cup. Basta pagdating sa NCAA, tayo ang mananalo.”

With these words, legendary coach Aric del Rosario inspired his Perpetual Help Altas to a monster upset over the Letran Knights, 69-66, in NCAA Season 88 action Saturday at the FilOil Flying V Arena.

The Altas, who travel at least an hour from Las Pinas to the playing venue, won their second straight game despite starting poorly, allowing the Knights to get off to a 9-0 start.

Perpetual turned the game into a tight affair heading into the fourth quarter, before Jett Vidal, who only had two points in the first half, fired seven points in a crucial 10-0 blast to give the Altas a 63-55 advantage with over five minutes to play.

Letran responded with a 11-5 run capped by a three-pointer by ace guard Kevin Alas to cut the lead to just two points, 68-66. Kevin Racal fouled Nosa Omorogbe, who split his free throws, giving the Knights one last chance.

But Alas missed the potential game-tying three-pointer with three seconds left, allowing Perpetual to escape with the victory.

Earl Thompson, an 18-year-old Davao native who is already in his second year with the Altas, led the way with 14 points, seven rebounds, and four blocks. He said he didn’t treat the game as special. “Wala naman akong extra preparations today. Basta every game ready ako and laging mindset ko, higitan yung performance ko before this game. Hindi ako na-o-offtrack kahit physicalin nila ako, kasi ako nalang umiiwas para di mawala ang focus ko sa game,” he said.

It was the second straight victory for del Rosario, who is making his coaching return after almost a decade away from the sidelines. “Sa tanda kong ‘to, hindi na ako nagbabasa ng mga coaching books. Lahat ng ginagawa ko based nalang sa coaching experience ko,” said the 72-year-old coaching legend.

The scores:

Perpetual (69) – Thompson 14, Jolangcob 11, Vidal 9, Allen 7, Paulino 6, Babayemi 6, Omorogbe 4, Elopre 4, Alano 4, Arboleda 4.

Letran (66) – K. Alas 15, Cortes 14, Cruz 9, Belorio 9, Almazan 6, Lituania 5, Racal 4, Gabawan 3, Luib 1, J. Alas 0.

Quarterscores: 15-18, 31-34, 51-50, 69-66.

Sam Miguel
07-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Aric Del Rosario, 70 years young and still going strong.

bchoter
07-05-2012, 10:52 AM
And he doesn't let his ego get in the way. In the win over Letran, he allowed his assitant coach to diagram their last play

LION
07-05-2012, 08:12 PM
^ Inatake daw ng rayuma pare. Hindi nya magalaw mga daliri kaya iba gumawa nung diagram. :-D

bchoter
07-12-2012, 08:38 PM
A dose of Aric Magic and Jetsanity! I always enjoy watching the perp's back court. They play the game with enthusiasm without going out of control (so unlike that talented kid from Benilde who thinks he shold take 90% of their shots). That Arboleda kid did his share.

Joescoundrel
07-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Huge 88-87 win by Perp over reigning champion San Beda, Jet-sanity is thriving and growing. Big difference having an import, even a not-so-dominating one like Adefemi Babayene, who is maybe 6-foot-5 in his sneakers. Scott Thompson (Thomas?), Cris Elopre, Joel Jolangcob and the Paulino boy certainly helped a lot in this win as well. If Perp had only played defense for 40 full minutes then Baser Amer would not have had a chance to pull off that Hail Mary from 80 feet, and the Altas would have won outright by three points.

bchoter
07-13-2012, 10:50 AM
Paulino is one of those 'could have beens' for UST :(. He was already practicing for a couple of weeks when he decided to leave. I never got to confirm thi but I think he left because he wasn't offered a full scholarship while in residency with Team Benavidez

Joescoundrel
07-23-2012, 09:49 AM
What a huge difference Nosa Orogobe (?) and Femi Babayane make...

Joescoundrel
07-27-2012, 11:13 AM
By Cedelf P. Tupas

Philippine Daily Inquirer

11:44 pm | Thursday, July 26th, 2012

WHEN he took over the coaching job at Perpetual Help, veteran mentor Aric del Rosario promised to get the Altas out of the cellar, where they have been languishing in the past few seasons.

With the way things are going, the multi-titled coach may not only fulfill his promise, but, even take the Altas to greater heights in the 88th NCAA basketball tournament.

The Altas showed toughness in the endgame last night as they hacked out a 94-88 overtime victory over the Mapua Cardinals for their fifth victory in seven outings at Filoil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Sophomore guard Earl Thompson brandished another all-around game with 22 points, 10 assists that went with five rebounds and four steals as the Altas bounced back from a 59-64 beating from Jose Rizal U.

“I’m making good of my promise and giving the school even more,” Del Rosario joked.

The Altas lost a 10-point lead in the last three minutes of regulation, but recovered in the extra session and sent the Cardinals to their third straight defeat.

Trailing 87-88, the Altas struck back through Thompson, Chris Elopre and Femi Babayemi to all but wrap up the win at 93-88 with barely a minute remaining.

“We’re trying to instill a no-quit attitude in the hearts of the players,” said Del Rosario, after the Altas scored their second overtime win of the season.

The Altas found an unlikely boost from George Allen, who tallied 19 points on 3-of-5 shooting aside from grabbing eight boards. Nursing a knee injury, Allen came into the game averaging just 2.5 points in his first five games.

Allen and Nigerian forward Nick Omorogbe got off to a quick start, combining for five triples in the first half, while Thompson efficiently ran the offense, allowing the Altas to stay in control for most of the game.

A 10-0 blast capped by a Gab Banal layup paved the way for the game’s first deadlock at 80 with 1:41 left.

Thompson scored all but eight of Perpetual’s last 10 points in regulation, but the Cardinals still forged overtime with Banal’s two free throws.

The senior scores:

PERPETUAL 94—Thompson 22, Allen 19, Babayemi 13, Omorogbe 11, Vidal 11, Elopre 9, Arboleda 7, Alano 2, Paulino 0, Jolangcob 0.

MAPUA 88—Parala 20, G. Banal 18, J. Banal 15, Ighalo 12, Nimes 7, Stevens 5, Eriobu 4, Chien 3, Saitanan 2, Brana 2, Estrella 0.

Quarters: 24-11, 44-35, 64-57, 85-85 (reg.), 94-88

Sam Miguel
08-08-2012, 08:49 AM
INQUIRER.net

7:37 pm | Monday, August 6th, 2012

MANILA, Philippines – Arellano overcame a listless start to stun Perpetual Help, 63-54, Monday and end a two-game slide in the NCAA Season 88 men’s basketball tournament at the FilOil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Head coach Koy Banal commended his team’s defense which limited the Altas to just 10 points in the fourth quarter.

“We played a very horrible game against San Sebastian but these guys stepped up and we were able to bounce back,” said Banal, whose squad notched only its third win in eight games.

The Chiefs, who started the game trailing, 0-12, went on an 8-0 run capped by a Prince Caperal basket that stretched their lead to nine, 61-52, with 1:25 left.

Perpetual Help got cold after a back-and-forth battle up to the midway mark of the fourth period.

Vergel Zulueta and John Pinto carried Arellano down the stretch.

John Pinto, Arellano’s crafty guard, had game-highs of 15 points, 13 rebounds and six assists while Zulueta scored half of his eight points during the game’s crucial stretch.

Jett Vidal and Babayemi had 13 points apiece.

Vidal though hardly made his presence felt in the second half and went scoreless in the fourth period as Arellano tightened up on defense.

Prince Caperal also had a double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds.

The Altas ended the first round of eliminations with 6-3.

Sam Miguel
08-22-2012, 03:45 PM
By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star)

Updated August 21, 2012 12:00 AM

Manila, Philippines - Rocky Acidre fired all but two of his 22 points in the second half, including two charities that secured Arellano U’s surprise 85-82 victory over fancied Jose Rizal U in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament at The Arena in San Juan yesterday.

Held to just two points in the first half, Acidre, a 20-year-old junior from San Jose, Leyte, waxed hot with 13 points in the fourth quarter to help power the Chiefs to what was only their fourth win against six defeats.

“What can I say, Rocky (Acidre) is one of our veterans and can be relied upon in the clutch,” said Arellano U coach Koy Banal.

Arellano’s victory also foiled Jose Rizal’s bid to re-join San Beda on top as the Bombers fell to 7-3.

Acidre highlighted his endgame heroics with a triple that shattered the 75-all and then set up Fil-Canadian James Forrester for a lay-up in the next play to give Arellano a five-point cushion with less than three minutes to go.

“I wasn’t instructed by my coach (Banal) to shoot in the fourth quarter, it just so happened that I got the opportunities and converted it,” said Acidre.

The Chiefs thus bounced back from a forgettable performance Thursday when they scored just three fourth quarter points and ended up getting drubbed by the Mapua Cardinals, 49-68.

“It was my fault that we lost in the last game, not the players. After that, I kept telling the team to stay positive,” said Banal.

The Bombers actually pulled to within one, 82-83, as Byron Villarias completed a rare four-point play with 15 seconds to go.

But the Bombers fouled Acidre to stop the clock and latter rose to the challenge by canning a pair of pressure-packed charities to preserve the win.

The Bombers still had one last chance to send the game into overtime but Nate Matute, who finished with 21 points, including three triples, hit nothing but air as time expired.

Arellano outscored JRU in the third quarter, 28-17, to break a 34-all count and post a 62-51 bulge entering the fourth quarter.

Then Acidre took over.

Meanwhile, Perpetual Help drew strength from Jett Vidal as it fended off St. Benilde’s furious fightback to escape with a 78-74 victory yesterday and jump into a three-way tie at second place with San Sebastian and Jose Rizal in the second game.

In juniors’ action, Robert Bolick stepped up in the absence of Mario Bonleon as he came through with a triple-double effort to power La Salle-Greenhills to a 95-76 victory over Perpetual.

Bolick had a season high 41 points, 10 rebounds and 11 assists and topped his all-around effort with a game-high six steals plus two blocks for La Salle-GH, which improved to 7-3.

Bonleon is with the Energen Pilipinas right now competing in the FIBA-Asia Under-18 Championship in Mongolia.

In other high school result, Jose Rizal edged Arellano U, 53-48, to stay in the Final Four hunt.

Sam Miguel
08-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Inqirer.net/

MANILA, Philippines – Letran avoided a late-game collapse as it withstood a wild comeback by Perpetual Help 62-57 Monday night in the NCAA Season 88 men’s basketball tournament at the FilOil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The Knights blew an 18-point lead before making the necessary stops to chalk up a crucial win.

“We move just one game behind (in the standings) for the last final four slot,” said Letran head coach Louie Alas.

Jett Vidal sinlge-handedly carried Perpetual Help in the third quarter, where the Altas turned a 12-point deficit to a 47-42 edge entering the final quarter.

Vidal had 16 points in the third period alone, hitting four triples at one stretch, with his last three giving the Altas a 44-40 lead.

But the Knights, who held the Altas to just two points in the first quarter, answered with back-to-back triples to regain the lead and the momentum.

Kevin Alas made his presence felt in the fourth quarter, scoring nine of his 13 points. Alas even made the go-ahead drive, 58-57, with 1:39 left.

Kevin Racal and Jam Cortes went perfect at the line to seal the win. Raymond Almazan also made an impact with 15 rebounds and four blocks.

The Altas botched a chance to move into a tie with San Sebastian and JRU in second place, falling to 7-4.

Sam Miguel
09-04-2012, 09:40 AM
By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star)

Updated September 04, 2012 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Back in harness, Calvin Abueva was back in his triple-double ways, powering San Sebastian to a 92-72 rout of St. Benilde yesterday in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament at the Arena in San Juan.

Abueva, back after a one-game suspension for a disqualification foul, tallied 17 points, 13 rebounds and 13 assists that made up for his nine turnovers as the Stags stayed in solo second with a 10-3 (win-loss) record.

In the nightcap, Jett Vidal matched the season-best 32-point output of SSC’s Ronald Pascual as Perpetual Help walloped Jose Rizal, 88-72, to tie its victim at third place with 8-3 slates.

It was Abueva’s third triple-double effort in this final season for the Stags after a 15-point, 15-rebound, 11-assist effort in an 80-65 win over Perpetual last July 3 and a 16-point, 23-board and 10-assist performance in an 87-79 win over Lyceum last July 23.

Abueva, the No. 2 overall pick by Alaska Milk in the recent PBA rookie draft, continued to lead the statistical points race for the MVP award but the fiery SSC gunner is no longer qualified to vie in any individual awards after his suspension.

The Pampanga pride, however, took it all in stride.

“My only focus right now is to help my team win a championship and my teammate, Ian Sangalang, win the MVP for me,” said Abueva.

Sangalang, who leads the MVP race now following Abueva’s disqualification, exploded for 16 of his 20 points in the second half while Pascual matched his output, highlighted by four triples.

It was also San Sebastian interim coach Allan Trinidad’s third straight victory since he took over from Topex Robinson.

“I have to give it to the players for responding to the challenge,” said Trinidad.

Carlo Lastimosa led all scorers with 22 points but the Blazers had no answer to SSC’s triumvirate’s (Abueva, Sangalang, Pascual) firepower.

St. Benilde fell to 4-9.

In juniors play, San Sebastian downed La Salle-Greenhills, 62-51, while Jose Rizal leaned on a 20-point, 25-rebound effort of Ginno Abrew as it turned back Perpetual Help, 74-70, to boost their Final Four bids.

The scores:

First Game (Srs)

San Sebastian 92 – Sangalang 20, Pascual 20, Abueva 17, Gusi 11, Maiquez 10, Miranda 6, Juico 4, Antipuesto 2, dela Cruz 2, Rebullos 0, Binuya 0

St. Benilde 72 – Lastimosa 22, Taha 13, Grey 9, Grey 6, Altamirano 6, Tan 6, Sinco 4, Bartolo 2, Deles 2, Dela Paz 2, Maconocido 0, Garcia 0, Romero 0, Carlos 0

Quarterscores: 18-12; 43-28; 69-48 92-72

Second Game (Srs)

Perpetual Help 88 – Vidal 32, Thompson 13, Allen 12, Omorogbe 9, Alano 7, Babayemi 6, Elopre 5, Paulino 4, Jolangcob 0, Arboleda 0

Jose Rizal 72 – Matute 16, Lopez 14, Carampil 12, Villarias 8, Camasura 6, Mabulac 4, Almario 4, Diapera 3, Dela Paz 3, Mendoza 2, Salaveria 0, Maconocido 0, Monserat 0

Quarterscores: 23-18; 42-32; 65-52; 88-72

Sam Miguel
09-19-2012, 11:22 AM
By Joey Villar

The Philippine Star

Updated September 19, 2012 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Perpetual Help will file an official protest on its 71-74 loss to Mapua last Monday, citing three grounds, including seeking the disqualifying foul on its Nigerian center Femi Babayemi reduced to a flagrant foul.

A source from the Las Piñas-based school told The STAR that they are contesting Babayemi’s foul in the first quarter that led to his ejection.

Second, the foul on Jett Vidal down the stretch even before he received the ball should have been called a flagrant foul instead of a regular foul.

“This should have been an unsportsmanlike foul with penalty of two gift shots plus ball possession but on this case Perpetual was given just two free throws and the ball back to Mapua,” the source said.

Lastly, the jump ball that was called even though Perpetual Help felt its guard Earl Thompson was hammered.

Perpetual Help, however, was a little bit particular on the Babayemi issue since the disqualifying foul would mean the 6-7 center will serve at least a one-game suspension and will have to sit out in its next game against Lyceum in Subic Bay on Sept. 25.

“Perpetual Help is hoping the foul will be downgraded to a flagrant instead of the disqualifying foul because he (Babayemi) has no intention to hurt,” said the same source.

Sam Miguel
06-10-2013, 11:36 AM
Bulldogs devour Altas on Parks’ return, bag Fr. Martin Cup title

(philstar.com) | Updated June 10, 2013 - 11:25am

MANILA, Philippines – Bobby Ray Parks Jr. made up for his absence in the semifinals as he led the National University Bulldogs to a 63-47 swamping of the University of Perpetual Help Altas last Sunday at the Trinity University of Asia gymnasium in Quezon City.

Parks, who is back after resting briefly from a minor ankle injury, chipped in 19 points for the Bulldogs, who went on to claim their second crown in three years.

The Bulldogs’ second title conquest came as the San Beda Red Cubs subdued the Letran Squires, 72-63, to retain the junior crown and the Far Eastern University Lady Tamaraws outplayed La Salle, 48-46, to clinch the women’s plum.

Joshua Caracut, a 6’0 junior, tallied 17 points, including two crucial triples in the fourth period as he powered the Red Cubs to a 10-point edge in the last five minutes, and give new coach JB Sison a fitting debut.

Vangie Soriano sank two free throws in the last three seconds to lift the FEU Lady Tams to a 48-46 beating of the La Salle Lady Archers, who were spearheaded by Camille Sambille and Soriano with 17 and 14 points.

The 6’4 Parks rose to the occasion in the last minute of the second period, canning in two charities and hitting a triple in the remaining 3.5 seconds to hand the Bulldogs a 30-23 halftime edge.

Teammates Alfred Aroga and Joshua Alolino had 15 and 11 points for the Bulldogs, and both struck hard during an 8-0 blast in the start of the second half, and this allowed NU to move further ahead, 38-23, with 7:03 to go.

Alolino hit eight points throughout the third, and his efforts enabled the Bulldogs to gain a 55-34 spread at the end of the period.

“The boys did what they were supposed to do. They are learning to deal with lapses in our game and keep their composure,” said Bulldogs coach Eric Altamirano.

Justin Alano banged in nine points for the Altas, while Juneric Baloria and Harold Arboleda had eight and seven points.

The NU Bulldogs reached the semis after they stopped the University of the Philippines Maroons, 67-63, last Thursday, while the Altas held off the Adamson Falcons to prevail, 57-54.

The Altas still ended up having their best pre-season stint with their first ever finals appearance in a pre-season tournament in seven years.

With their ninth consecutive triumph, the Bulldogs won their second crown after beating the Mapua Cardinals for the title in 2011.

Sam Miguel
06-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Ortuoste lifts Stags past Chiefs

By Cedelf P. Tupas

1:07 am | Friday, June 28th, 2013

Sidelined the past three years, Jamil Ortuoste is making up for lost time.

The 5-foot-9 guard tallied a season-best 28 points as San Sebastian slipped past Arellano, 78-76, last night for its first victory in the NCAA Season 89 men’s basketball tournament at Filoil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

Scoring heavily on triples and floaters, Ortuoste helped carry the rookie-laden Stags in the last two periods after the Chiefs took control just before halftime.

“It’s been frustrating the past three years, that’s why I’m happy I’m getting my chance now,” said the crafty guard who hit 10 of 15 shots in 34 minutes on the floor.

After a solid high school career at San Sebastian, where he won two NCAA juniors titles, Ortuoste transferred to Far Eastern U although he was unable to crack the first team. He returned to the Stags’ fold on the prodding of assistant coach Raymund Valenzona.

“We outworked them (Chiefs),” said coach Topex Robinson, whose squad bounced back from a 69-74 loss to Letran last Saturday.

Perpetual Help underscored its status as a contender with a 69-49 rout of Emilio Aguinaldo College in the second game.

Earl Thompson and Nosa Omorogbe wound up with 14 points each as the Altas, who reached the Final Four last season, played with ferocity on both ends.

Stags forward Leo de Vera, a recruit from California, posted 15 points, six boards, two blocks and a steal, while Bradwyn Guinto posted another double-double with 10 points and 14 boards.

The Chiefs battled back from a slow start, relying on a strong second period to take a 61-60 lead after a Keith Agovida undergoal stab. But Ortuoste buried a triple and scored six of the next eight points of the Stags who zoomed ahead, 71-65, with 4:50 left.

Earlier, San Beda scored its second straight victory in the juniors division following an 83-59 triumph over La Salle Green Hills, while Perpetual Help debuted with an 83-64 win over Emilio Aguinaldo College.

The senior scores:

First Game

SAN SEBASTIAN 78—Ortuoste 28, De Vera 15, Dela Cruz 10, Guinto 10, Perez 10, Gusi 3, Rebollos 1, Tano 1, Magno 0.

ARELLANO 76—Caperal 11, Hernandez 11, Agovida 10, Pinto 10, Jalalon 6, Salcedo 6, Enriquez 5, Margallo 4, Cadavis 4, Nicholls, Gumaru, Bangga 0.

Quarters: 20-14, 39-35, 60-54, 78-76

Second Game

PERPETUAL HELP 69—Thompson 14, Omorogbe 14, Baloria 12, Arboleda 10, Dizon 7, Alano 6, Bantayan 4, Elopre 2, Jolangcob 0, Lucente 0, Oliveria 0.

EAC 49—Paguia 12, Happi 8, King 7, Mejos 4, Arquero 4, Jamon 4, Munsayac 3, Monteclaro 2, Castro 2, Morada 1, Hiole 0.

Quarters: 11-8, 31-16, 46-32, 69-49

Sam Miguel
06-28-2013, 09:03 AM
^^^ Crisp and quick extra passing, moving well without the ball, and just plain getting under the defensive coverage of EAC worked wonders for Perpetual Help. Major props to the undersized forwards of the Altas for the stonewall defense against talented EAC improt Noube Hapi.

Sam Miguel
07-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Altas defuse Bombers, share ‘NC’ lead

(The Philippine Star) | Updated July 2, 2013 - 12:00am

Joey Villar

Games Thursday

4 p.m. – St. Benilde vs EAC

6 p.m. – San Beda vs Arellano U

MANILA, Philippines - Perpetual Help survived a furious Jose Rizal U rally at endgame and carved out a 78-70 decision to tie idle Letran in the lead in the 89th NCAA men’s basketball tournament at The Arena in San Juan last night.

Rookie Juneric Baloria fired 25 points while Nosa Omorogbe backed him up with 20 markers while providing the poise in the clutch when the rookie-laden Bombers pulled to within six, 68-74.

Jose Rizal then forced a couple of stops but failed to connect from the long range, enabling the Altas to post their second straight victory after thumping the Emilio Aguinaldo College Generals, 69-49, last week.

The Bombers fell to 1-1.

Earlier, sophomore Mark Braña stepped up in second overtime as Mapua fought back from 20 points down and wore down San Sebastian to pull off a come-from-behind 104-99 victory and gift coach Atoy Co his first win in the league.

Braña scattered eight of his 15 points in the second extra period that gave the Cardinals a big cushion to thwart the Stags for their first victory after dropping their opening day match to the Jose Rizal Heavy Bombers, 72-83, last week.

“It’s not me who should be getting the credit, it’s the players. They didn’t give up and really wanted this win,” said Co, who intentionally skipped the pre-season tournaments to focus on strengthening the team’s offensive and defensive plays as well as improve team chemistry.

“But I’m so happy. Really so happy and it’s double overtime. Because the pressure is really on me,” said the former King Cardinal and PBA star.

Joseph Eriobu exploded with a career high 30 points and pulled down 11 rebounds while Kenneth Ighalo, Jessie Saitanan and Carlos Isit added 21, 15 and 10, respectively for the Cardinals, who scored 20 unanswered points to tie the Stags at 57 then unleashed a series of runs in the fourth quarter to force the first overtime.

With Braña hitting his mark, the Cardinals pulled away by eight with 49.7 seconds left in the contest, but the Stags rallied to within three again on a five-point binge by Raffy Gusi and aided by Mapua’s misses from the line.

Joescoundrel
07-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Si Vergel naman. Huwag kang gagawa ng ganyan pagkagaling sa talo, walang kakampi sa iyo, aakalain lang ng lahat ng tao pikon ka dahil sa pagkatalo. Kung talagang tingin mong may straso sa iyo si Josel Angeles, abangan mong lumabas ng Arena at hamunin mo ng suntukan.

Meneses confronts UPHR deputy in offshoot of Heavy Bombers' loss

By Mei-Lin Lozada

July 01, 2013, 09:12 pm

JOSE Rizal University coach Vergel Meneses had a heated exchange of words with Perpetual Help deputy Josel Angeles shortly after the Bombers lost to the Altas, 70-78, in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament Monday night at The Arena.

The incident took place just as the coaching staff of the two teams were making their customary handshake at center court just after the match.

Cooler heads prevented the situation from getting out of control.

Witnesses to the incident said Meneses was already exchanging a handshake with Perpetual Help head coach Aric del Rosario and assistant Lester del Rosario when Angeles approached them and shortly after had some words with the JRU mentor.

“Based on what I saw, nagkakamayan na nga `yung mag-amang del Rosario at si coach Vergel, tapos ayun biglang dumating `yung isa pang coach,” recalled JRU Management Committee representative Paul Supan, referring to Angeles as the `other coach.’

But Angeles said it was Meneses who instigated the confrontation, bringing up a punching incident of which the Perpetual Help deputy said he has no knowledge of.

“Lumapit ako sa kanya (Meneses) para makipag-kamay. Eh, mainit ang ulo niya, ang dami niyang sinasabi na hindi ko maintindihan,” said Angeles, the former PBA player who had stints with San Miguel, Alaska, and Talk `N Text.

“Tungkol daw sumuntok, eh wala naman akong alam doon.”

Meneses, the one-time PBA MVP voted as one of the 25 Greatest Players of the league, kept mum about the incident when asked by Spin.ph shortly after emerging from the JRU dugout.

Sam Miguel
07-09-2013, 08:45 AM
Lions trip Generals; SSC prevails

By Cedelf P. Tupas

10:05 pm | Monday, July 8th, 2013

San Beda, playing with more urgency in the second half, repulsed Emilio Aguinaldo College, 80-65, yesterday to notch back-to-back victories for the first time in the NCAA Season 89 men’s basketball tournament at Filoil Flying V Arena in San Juan.

The three-time defending champion Red Lions regained their lethal form just in time to wear down the Generals in the last two quarters to improve to 3-1 and gain solo third.

Unable to come out with the aggressiveness they showed in their 64-57 win over Arellano last week, the Lions played catch-up for the majority of the first half before taking control behind Art dela Cruz and Baser Amer and pinning a third loss on the Generals.

“It’s good that the bench is getting more and more comfortable because we are going to need everyone to step up this season,” said starting center Kyle Pascual, who finished with eight points.

Later, Jamil Ortuoste poured 11 of his 14 points in the fourth quarter and in overtime as the Stags outlasted erstwhile unbeaten Perpetual Help, 78-77, to even their card at 2-2.

Perpetual fell to 2-1 and tied idle Lyceum for third place.

But the Altas put the Stags’ victory under protest, citing an incident in the second period when Jessie Rebollos fouled Juneric Baloria, who, they claimed should have been given free throws. Altas team captain Harold Arboleda signed the scoresheet after the game to signify the protest.

Dela Cruz, the hero in San Beda’s first win of the season against St. Benilde, finished with 18 points and grabbed nine boards. Amer tallied 14 points and dished nine assists.

Earlier, San Beda and San Sebastian extended their unbeaten start to four games. The Cubs dumped the EAC Brigadiers, 108-59, while the Staglets cruised to a 110-79 win over the Junior Altas.

The scores:

Seniors First Game

SAN BEDA 80—Dela Cruz 18, Amer 14, Dela Rosa 9, K. Pascual 8, Adeogun 6, Sara 6, Abarcar 5, Koga 4, Ludovice 4, A Semerad 4, D. Semerad 2, Bonsubre 0, Villaruz 0, Abatayo 0.

EAC 65—King 18, Tayongtong 12, Jamon 10, Habbi 8, Arquero 7, Paguia 3, Monteclaro 3, Castro 2, Hiole Manga 2, Munsayac 0, Saludo 0, Morada 0.

Quarters: 16-18, 34-39, 58-52, 80-65

Sam Miguel
07-09-2013, 09:01 AM
NCAA: Perpetual Help puts OT loss to San Sebastian under protest

By Mark Giongco

INQUIRER.net

10:18 pm | Monday, July 8th, 2013

MANILA, Philippines — Citing a blown call by the referees, Perpetual Help head coach Aric del Rosario has decided to put the Altas’ 77-78 overtime loss to San Sebastian under protest Monday night.

Del Rosario said the refs failed to award his team two free throws late in the second quarter after a foul was called against Stags swingman Jon Rebollos on Juneric Baloria as Rebollos sank a left corner triple.

“Yung kay Baloria, sinipa siya. Hindi tinawagan ng offensive [foul]. Counted yung basket tapos tinawagan nila ng foul dapat binigyan nila kami ng dalawang free throws,” del Rosario recalled. “After ilang minutes tinanong ko yung referee ang sabi nakaligtaan daw nila. Pwede bang ganoon?”

Rebollos kicked out his leg that inadvertently hit Baloria in the groin as he attempted the triple. The refs gave the three points to Rebollos but also slapped a loose ball foul against him.

“Yun ang grounds kasi dapat binigyan nila kami ng dalawang free throws kasi counted yung basket. Penalty ang kalaban.”

“Ako, ayoko ng mga protesta protesta pero kailangan mapakita din natin yung karapatan namin,” added the former league commissioner.

The protest will be reviewed by the league’s technical committee.

“It’s something that we don’t have any control of. It’s [up to] the commissioner or whoever is handling that. But as far as we know, Perpetual really gave us a good fight and we commend coach Aric and the rest of the team,” said Stags coach Topex Robinson.

Joescoundrel
03-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Games at Arellano for March 8 ___

Quarterfinals

9:00 AM JRU B versus UST
10:30 AM Mapua versus Lyceum A
12:00 NN Ateneo versus St Benilde
1:30 PM San Beda versus Perpetual Help A

One-game Knockout only, winners advance into the semis the following day March 9.

Joescoundrel
03-13-2014, 07:46 AM
Fr Martin Cup Open Finals at San Beda for March 15 ___

9:00 AM Lasalle Lady Archers versus UST Tigresses

10:30 AM St Benilde versus Perpetual Help A

One game only for each division, winner-take-all.

Joescoundrel
03-17-2014, 10:43 AM
St Benilde Wins 1st Fr Martin Championship under Velasco

Saint Benilde beat Perpetual Help A in overtime, 113-102, on an overcast Saturday morning to capture the 10th Fr. Martin Collegiate Open Cup at the San Beda Gym.

It looked like the Blazers of head coach Gabby Velasco would just romp away with the title, racing to a 32-18 lead midway through the second period behind the strong drives of Paolo Taha and the sniping of Mark Romero.

But the Altas of the venerable Aric Del Rosario, a one-time Fr Martin tournament director, leaned on the hustle of Joel Jolangcob and Justin Alano, and the scoring soc of Scott Thompson to come within 34-28. Thompson had to step up as Altas main man Juneric Baloria was hobbled with four personal fouls right in the first half.

Crispin Elopre, younger brother of former Alta Crisper, also shone hitting key baskets to keep Perpetual in the game. Elopre hit a go-ahead three-pointer to make it 74-75 for Perpetual.

But Fonz Saavedra answered with a three-ball of his own to restore the lead to St Benilde. Saavedra would hit one more crucial set shot in overtime to put a 99-95 cushion between them and Perpetual.

“I can safely say that the boys are starting to get some confidence, and we are playing more within the system. We can now take our game to the next level and do better when the NCAA opens in June,” Velasco beamed.

Taha led the victors with 27 points, while Romero scattered 18 markers of his own. Taha actually had to sit out almost all of the third period due to early foul trouble. Grey added 16 points motly on his strong driving game throughout overtime in a team-up with Saavedra to break away from the 95-all deadlock.

Thompson finished with 33 points including a crucial basket with 38.2 seconds left in the fourth to force overtime. He still had some two seconds and change to seal the win for Perpetual on a transition play off a St Benilde miss but his layup angled off the glass, far away from the basket. Thompson ran out of gas in the overtime even as Baloria fouled out, dooming the Altas.

Both sides were very vociferous in their complaints against the endless fouls whistled by the three game officials. Unfortunately it really was symptomatic of their poor defense that so many fouls were called. All three Africa imports on either side, and Blazers center Bart Bartolo all fouled out, with at least five other key players saddled with four fouls.

"I'm just happy we finally got a championship. I hope we can build on this," Velasco declared after the traditional photo ops during the modest awarding ceremoy.

On the distaff side, Santo Tomas University found the range early on - including a couple of three-pointers from as far away as 30 feet - to upset reigning UAAP champion La Salle 78-69 to take home the women's division title.

Joescoundrel
06-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Tamaraws stun Red Lions; Green Archers buck upset loss

By Jasmine W. Payo

5:56 am | Sunday, June 1st, 2014

MANILA, Philippines — Far Eastern University downed NCAA champion San Beda, 89-79, to complete a Group B sweep even as Perpetual Help failed to advance despite stunning UAAP king La Salle, 98-95, Saturday in the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup at Filoil Flying V Arena.

Both La Salle and Perpetual finished tied at 4-2 in Group A, but the Green Archers advanced to the quarterfinals due to a superior quotient.

Juneric Baloria exploded for 43 points as the Altas came back from 16 points down in the fourth quarter, 57-73, to upset the Archers. But the effort went for naught as the Altas needed to win by at least five points to advance to the next round.

The Tamaraws, who topped Group B at 6-0, came out firing early as Mike Tolomia sizzled with 26 points built on a 9-of-14 shooting clip, including a perfect 4-of-4 from three-point range, aside from dishing out 10 assists.

Mac Belo and Roger Pogoy also got into the scoring mix to help lift the Tamaraws past the Red Lions.

The knockout quarterfinals get going tomorrow with Cebu’s Southwestern University (5-1) battling Jose Rizal University (4-2) at 2 p.m. Group C topnotcher Centro Escolar University (6-0) tackles Lyceum (4-2) at 4 p.m.

The scores:

First Game

FEU 89—Tolomia 26, Belo 14, Pogoy 10, Jose 8, David 7, Iñigo 6, Ru. Escoto 5, Cruz 4, Hargrove 4, Tamsi 3, Ri. Escoto 2, Dennison 0, Denila 0, Lee Yu 0, Ugsang 0, Delfinado 0.

SAN BEDA 79—Adeogun 21, Koga 15, Tongco 10, Dela Cruz 8, Mocon 6, D. Semerad 6, Ludovice 5, Amer 4, Pascual 4, Mendoza 0, Abatayo 0, Cabanag 0, Solera 0.

Quarters: 24-13, 48-35, 71-55, 89-79

Joescoundrel
06-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Altas win vs Archers move coach to tears but not enough for playoffs spot

By Celest Flores-Colina

INQUIRER.net

8:16 pm | Saturday, May 31st, 2014

MANILA, Philippines—Not even an unbelievable fourth quarter performance was enough to send Perpetual Help to the quarterfinals of the Filoil Flying V Hanes Premier Cup.

Knocking down triples from the toughest angles, the Altas outscored UAAP champion La Salle, 41-22, in the fourth quarter to claw their way back from a double-digit lead enroute to a scintillating 98-95 win over the Archers on Saturday.

But the victory wasn’t enough as Perpetual Help needed to win by five points or more to boot out the Green Archers and claim a spot in the playoffs.

“We really wanted to play in the quarterfinals,” rued Early Thompson, who flirted with a triple double with 14 points, eight rebounds, and 10 assists. “But at least we were able to show that we can compete against La Salle.”

The Altas’ fightback from 16 points at the end of the third quarter, which featured seven triples from either Harold Arboleda or Juneric Baloria, moved veteran coach Aric Del Rosario to tears.

“Everybody said we can’t win against La Salle, but we did [that's why I got teary eyed]. The heart of the players were there,” said Del Rosario. “It’s bittersweet.”

The Altas wiped away the Green Archers’ 73-57 lead with Baloria nailing four triples in a three-minute span that also included baskets from Thompson that put them within just two points.

Arboleda also caught fire in the final five minutes, starting off with a right corner triple then ending with two freethrows that gave Perpetual Help a 98-90 lead with 8.5 seconds left.

Baloria had a whopping 43-point explosion in 34 minutes while Arboleda had 12 points and eight rebounds for Perpetual Help, which opens its campaign in the NCAA on June 28.

“We know how strong La Salle is. Coach told us that we needed to win against them. At least we were able to defeat them after they eliminated us in the PCCL.”

La Salle’s big man Arnold Van Opstal managed to nail two crucial freebies with 3.8 ticks remaining that salvaged the Green Archers’ pre-season campaign.

Teng and Van Opstal finished with 20 points apiece for La Salle, who dropped to seventh in the quarterfinals and will face no. 2 seed Far Eastern University.

Joescoundrel
10-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Lions, Chiefs seal ‘NC’ title showdown

By Cedelf P. Tupas |

Philippine Daily Inquirer 4:58 am |

Thursday, October 16th, 2014

San Beda returned to familiar territory, while Arellano broke new ground.

Proving equal to the challenge at crunchtime, the Red Lions and Chiefs forged a championship duel last night with gutsy victories in the Final Four of the 90th NCAA basketball tournament at SM Mall of Asia Arena.

The Red Lions built enough cushion to hold off a late Perpetual Help rally with an 81-75 triumph that rewarded San Beda with a ninth straight finals appearance while the Chiefs turned back the Jose Rizal U Bombers, 72-65, to reach the finals for the first time since joining the league in 2009.

As the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds, the Red Lions and Chiefs were armed with a twice-to-beat edge. It turned out they didn’t need it as both teams came out strong in the final quarter to preserve their early advantage.

“It’s a dream come true for all of us in the entire Arellano community,” said Arellano coach Jerry Codiñera, in only his first season at the helm.

“It’s nice to be back in the finals,” said San Beda coach Boyet Fernandez, whose team is seeking a fifth straight title.

Game 1 of the best-of-three finals is at 4 p.m. on Monday at Mall of Asia Arena.

American Dioncee Holts notched 22 points and grabbed 11 rebounds, but it was Jiovani Jalalon who delivered the telling blows, scoring the last five points of the Chiefs, while putting the clamps on a red-hot Jaycee Asuncion down the stretch.

The Lions nearly squandered a 26-point lead in the first half as the Altas came within five points, 75-80, in the last 20 seconds, before Baser Amer iced the game with a split from the free throw line.

The scores:

First Game

SAN BEDA 81—A. Semerad 18, Amer 17, Adeogun 13, Mendoza 12, Dela Cruz 11, Pascual 6, Koga 2, Tongco 2, Sara 0, Abude 0, D. Semerad 0.

PERPETUAL HELP 75—Thompson 20, Baloria 20, Arboleda 14, ALano 11, Dagangon 7, Oliveria 2, Jolangcob 1, Dizon 0, Ylagan 0, Gallardo 0, Bantayan 0.

Quarters: 22-7, 44-18, 55-44, 81-75

Second Game

ARELLANO 72—Holts 22, Hernandez 12, Jalalon 8, Caperal 8, Pinto 7, Agovida 7, Ciriacruz 4, Salceda 2, Enriquez 2, Gumaru 0, Bangga 0, Cadavis 0.

JRU 65—Teodoro 19, Asuncion 13, Mabulac 13, Abdulwahab 6, Benavides 5, Sanchez 4, Paniamogan 3, Lasquety 2, Salaveria 0, Grospe 0.

Quarters: 21-18, 36-31, 54-53, 72-65

Joescoundrel
10-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Altas grumble about officiating as Perpetual Help suffers a hat-trick of semis losses

“After the game, napaiyak ako, pero hindi dahil sa talo namin. Ang iniyak ko lang, bakit ganun? Bakit hindi kami bigyan ng pagkakataong manalo?” says Altas coach Aric del Rosario.

UNIVERSITY of Perpetual Help players grumbled about the officiating after the Altas bowed out of the Final Four, again to powerhouse San Beda, for the third straight year in the NCAA men’s basketball tournament.

Graduating Altas Justine Alano, Juneric Baloria, Harold Arboleda, and Joel Jolangcob rued the calls that they believe favored the Lions, who reached the finals for the ninth straight time with an 81-75 win on Wednesday at the Mall of Asia Arena.

“Unfair eh,” a teary-eyed Alano, the undersized big man, said. “Maliliit na nga kami, minamaliit pa nila kami. Bakit? Porke’t Perpetual lang kami? Hindi ko naman sila sinisisi pero yung mga nangyayari, mas pabor sa kanila (San Beda) eh.”

“Kahit anong natatanggap naming sakit, okay lang sa amin. Pero bakit sa kanila, kaunting bunggo lang, may tawag agad?” The Altas actually had 22 fouls, five less than the Lions.

“Kaya nagkakaroon ng away sa court dahil din sa mga referee,” Alano added. “Hindi ko sila sinisisi, pero yung mga nangyayari nakikita naman ng nanonood at mga naglalaro eh.”

“Yung first half medyo malambot yung tawag nila,” Arboleda said.

Baloria felt those calls affected how they defended the Lions. “Hindi namin alam kung anong klaseng depensa ang gagawin namin kasi konting banggaan, may foul agad. Pag sa amin, ako nga nagkasugat-sugat na nga ako.”

Jolangcob, the 5-foot-3 point guard, rued flopping calls against him when he would defend bigger opponents, including doubling on 6-foot-8 Lions slotman Ola Adeogun. “Ganung ka-laki, banggain ka, tapos flopping?”

Altas coach Aric del Rosario echoed his wards’ sentiment. “After the game, napaiyak ako, pero hindi dahil sa talo namin. Ang iniyak ko lang, bakit ganun? Bakit hindi kami bigyan ng pagkakataong manalo?”

“Hindi ko naman sinasabi na kampihan nila (referees) kami, pero sa tagal ko sa basketball, alam ko kung tama o mali ang tawag,” added the veteran mentor, a former NCAA commissioner.

Del Rosario commended his graduating players for leaving it all out on the court. “Wala na akong masasabi sa kanila. Surrender ako sa kanila sa pinakita sa akin. Talagang yung puso nila na siguro sa pagmamahal sa akin. Maski alam ko na napapagod na sila, sige pa rin.”

Joescoundrel
10-21-2014, 08:19 AM
League MVP sees 2015 as Altas year

By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star) |

Updated October 21, 2014 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - Earl Scottie Thompson officially claimed this year’s NCAA MVP trophy then vowed to help Perpetual Help clinch its first championship next year.

“We will have Nigerians Akhueti Bright and Eze Prince next year. They’re good and very strong players and I’m looking forward to another memorable season,” said Thompson during awards rites before the opener of the best-of-three title series between San Beda and Arellano U yesterday.

Thompson posted a pair of triple-double efforts this year and placed among the top 10 in almost every statistical department to power the Altas to their third straight Final Four stint.

Thompson averaged 17.07 points (fourth-best), 11.36 rebounds (fifth), 5.50 assists (tied for second), 1.64 steals (seventh) and a block to make up for a second worst 4.07 turnovers a game.

He thus became the first Perpetual Help player to bag the coveted individual plum since Jose Manalo copped the crown 14 years ago.

Eric Clement Quiday was the first player from the Las Piñas-based school to win such award in 1989.

The Digos, Davao del Sur native had hoped to try out for other schools when he came to Manila in 2010. But only one school took a gamble on him.

“Only Perpetual Help recruited me and I thank them for helping me become who I am now,” said Thompson in Pilipino.

Thompson said his next goal is to help the Altas win their first ever championship next year.

Other Mythical Five members are teammate Harold Arboleda, San Beda’s Ola Adeogun, San Sebastian’s Bradwyn Guinto and Arellano University’s Jiovani Jalalon. Thompson also made it to the All-Defensive squad composed of Gabayni, Adeogun, Guinto and Jose Rizal’s Abdul Razak Abdul Wahab.

Other awardees were Arellano U’s Dioncee Holts (Rookie of the Year), Jalalon (Most Improved), Gabayni (Defensive Player) and Jose Rizal (Sportsmanship).

Darius Estrella emerged the juniors MVP to become the first Jose Rizal cager to win the plum since Keith Agovida and Louie Vigil won it in back-to-back from 2008.

Raphael Chavez of Perpetual Help won the rookie of the year honors in juniors division.

Joescoundrel
03-05-2015, 09:59 AM
FYI Fr Martin Cup ___

Game schedule for Saturday 7 March at FEU, games start at 8:00 AM:

Arellano vs UE
Perpetual vs San Beda

Semifinals na po ito, knockout only, winners advance into the Finals, don't know if there is a game for third place.

Joescoundrel
03-09-2015, 10:01 AM
Arellano, Perpetual Arrange FMC Open Title Showdown

By www.gameface.ph

7 March 2015, FEU Gym, Manila - Arellano University and Perpetual Help University will dispute the Fr Martin Cup Open Division championship as they disposed of separate foes at the sweltering Far Eastern gym in downtown Manila.

Arellano outlasted University of the East 73-64, while Perpetual mauled San Beda College 93-66 in the knockout semifinals.

UE actually jumped the gun on Arellano, racing to a 0-7 start and built as much as a 4-15 lead midway through the first period.

But the Chiefs regrouped behind pointguard Jio Jalalon and shooting guard Zach Nicholls to turn things around 21-19 early in the second period. Coach Jerry Codinera's boys never looked back from there.

The Warriors of Coach Derrick Pumaren hung around behind 6'8" import Bernard Awana's strong inside game, and the all-around hustle of brothers Paul and Jason Varilla, but just could not regain the upper hand.

Burly big men John Bangga and Mac Tano tool turns controlling the boards and the lane to frustrate the inside game of UE, staving off the repeated Warrior rallies. Nichols then nailed back-to-back three-pointers to make it 61-71 for his Chiefs with some two minutes and change left in the game.

"I'm happy we were able to play better defense in the second half, and the boys really earned it," said Codinera after the game.

Nichols led Arellano with 19 points including four treys. Jalalon added 12 points.

Awana had 20 points, 12 rebounds and four blocks for the Warriors but got little help from the rest of his guys.

In the second game, the Altas established control early on against the Red Lions and practically cruised to the win.

Reigning NCAA MVP Scottie Thompson controlled the game early for his Altas as they went zoomed to the 11-4 lead to start the game.

San Beda put on a mini-run to come within 13-11 behind Jeramer Cabanag but that would be as close as the Red Lions would get.

Newcomer Mac Ylagan conspired with Crispin Elopre, Gerald Dizon, Ric Gallardo and imports John Eze and Akhoutei Bright to establish a 50-39 halftime lead and simply never looked back.

Playing without his top NCAA veterans, Coach Jamike Jarin just could not match up against the veteran Altas of father and son Coaches Aric and Lester Del Rosario.

The 6-foot-7 Eze punctuated the dominance of the Altas with back-to-back alley-hoop slams to build the largest lead at 93-63 with only 1:40 left in the game.

Ylagan led all scorers with 21 points with four treys, while Elopre added 16 markers on three treys of his own. Cabanag had 13 points for San Beda.

The one-game championship is set for the morning of Saturday 14 March, tentatively at the San Beda St Placid Gym.

Joescoundrel
09-23-2015, 08:54 AM
Altas, Generals bring on-court battle to parking lot

By Norman Lee Benjamin Riego on Sep 22, 2015 07:59 PM

Exactly one year after the infamous on-court brawl in the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament, Emilio Aguinaldo College again figured in another scuffle at the San Juan Arena.

Only on Tuesday, the heat spilled over to the parking lot as some Generals and players from University of Perpetual Help got involved with each other. Eyewitnesses named EAC’s Raymund Pascua and Sidney Onwubere and Perpetual’s Niko Cabiltes as the protagonists.

All three were said to have thrown punches before venue security and other teammates separated them. The NCAA is still investigating the incident and is yet to release a statement.

According to Alta GJ Ylagan, everything began when Pascua and Onwubere walked past them while yelling sweet nothings. Cabiltes returned the favor and the Generals rushed towards him and caused him to fall down with a few strikes.

Ylagan then said that he and teammates Nestor Bantayan, Ric Gallardo, and Flash Sadiwa stopped the fight from escalating. It was at that point that security arrived and separated the protagonists.

Earlier, Cabiltes and Pascua were involved in a flare-up right when the Perpetual-EAC matchup was ending. The two along with General Max Diego were all ejected from the game.

For his part, Pascua pointed at the Altas as the instigators. “Palabas pa lang ng arena, sa may pinto, nakita na namin silang inaabangan kami. Pero hindi na namin pinansin,” he said.

Once they neared the parking lot, Pascua then said it was the Perpetual players who started shouting sweet nothings. “We didn’t start it. We just defended ourselves.”

Last season, the benches of EAC and Mapua Institute of Technology both cleared after General John Tayongtong punched Cardinal CJ Isit during their game.

Joescoundrel
09-23-2015, 08:56 AM
Akhuetie says Perpetual has ‘no time’ to fight EAC

By Norman Lee Benjamin Riego on Sep 22, 2015 09:26 PM

Last year’s infamous on-court brawl haunted the NCAA anew when Emilio Aguinaldo College’s Raymund Pascua and Sidney Onwubere got involved with University of Perpetual Help’s Niko Cabiltes after their teams’ matchup on Tuesday at the San Juan Arena parking lot.

The three were said to have thrown punches before venue security and other teammates separated them. Earlier, Cabiltes and Pascua were involved in a flare-up right when the Perpetual-EAC matchup was ending and the two, along with EAC’s Max Diego, were ejected.

Both teams are pointing fingers at each other and the NCAA is still investigating the incident.

The Altas claimed that they were all gathering at the parking lot because they were waiting for the bus that would take them to their team dinner. It was there that, according to GJ Ylagan, “Binalikan nila (Pascua and Onwubere) kami at ayaw paawat. Ayun, kagulo na.”

The Perpetual players who were on scene said it was the other side that started it all with Nestor Bantayan even claiming, “Hindi kami makikipag-away. Masisira pa ang image ng Perpetual.”

In the end for the Altas, it was musclebound six-foot eight-inch Bright Akhuetie who kept kept telling his riled up teammates, “Cmon! Cmon! We have no time to fight them.”

He also added, referring to the fact that EAC has long been out of contention while Perpetual currently stands tied for first, “They have nothing to lose. Cmon!”

Joescoundrel
10-10-2015, 09:25 AM
Letran ousts Perpetual, gains twice-to-beat edge in Final Four

By: June Navarro

@inquirerdotnet

07:10 PM October 9th, 2015

Letran showed up anticipating a rough path to the Final Four but Perpetual Help simply wasn’t there for the challenge.

Firing on all cylinders, the Knights thrashed the Altas, 93-64, to gain the twice-to-beat bonus in the semifinals of the NCAA Season 91 men’s basketball tournament Friday at The Arena in San Juan.

Just about every opportunity that the Altas could get their hands on in the early going turned bad as the Knights charged ahead to a 16-1 lead, surged to 24 points at halftime and sustained the momentum to the finish.

Mark Cruz and Kevin Racal blew by their rivals in the open court and connected at different spots during the ferocious Letran run.

It readily filled the void left by Rey Nambatac, who hit the deck hard on a break and had to be carried on a stretcher.

Yet, it was the smothering defense on wingman Scottie Thompson that proved vital.

Far from his usual lethal self, the reigning MVP only had seven points on 2 of 11 shooting as the Altas championship hopes ended in tatters after they missed the Final Four for the first time in three seasons.

“We’re so upset in the game against San Beda. We just poured all of those frustrations in this match,’’ said Letran coach Aldin Ayo.

The Knights, who got clobbered by the Lions last time out, will join San Beda in the top two spots armed with the twice-to-beat edge. Both teams face each other Tuesday to determine the No.1 seeding going into the next phase.

Earlier, Paolo Pontejos scattered 12 of his game-high 23 points in the second quarter as Jose Rizal University swamped San Sebastian College, 91-69, to advance into the Final Four and end the double-round eliminations on a six-game win streak.

The Heavy Bombers secured the No. 3 spot due to a better quotient despite finishing identical 12-6 win-loss records with the Arellano Chiefs and Mapua Cardinals, who will figure in a make-or-break clash for the fourth and last semifinal berth Tuesday.

Playing against the worst team in the league, Mapua earlier suffered agonizing moments before dumping Emilio Aguinaldo College, 88-63, to secure the Allwell Oraeme had an inspiring all-around performance for the Cardinals with 16 points and 15 rebounds on top of four blocks, three assists and three steals.

The Scores:

First game

JRU 91—Pontejos 23, Estrella 11, Balagtas 8, Lasquety 6, Cruz 6, Teodoro 6, Gorospe 6, Sanchez 5, Poutouochi 5, Abdul Wahab 4, Dela Paz 3, Dela Virgen 3, David 3, Astilla 2, Aurin 0.

SSC 69—Guinto 14, Calisaan 13, Ortuoste 10, Bulanadi 7, Pretta 6, Sibal 5, Santos 4, Fabian 4, Costelo 3, Capobres 3, Bragais 0, Alvarez 0.

Quarters: 23-17, 43-38, 68-56, 91-69

Second game

MAPUA 88—Oraeme 16, Menina 14, Brana 14, Nimes 13, Nieles 12, Isit 11, Biteng 3, Serrano 3, Aguirre 2, Raflores 0.

EAC 63—Onwubere 21, Hamadou 11, General 8, Munsayac 8, Diego 8, Mejos 5, Bonleon 2, Pascual 0, Corilla 0, Mallari 0.
Quarters: 15-14, 41-38, 61-50, 88-63