PDA

View Full Version : Jason Castro: Two-Time Philippines MVP Signs with Slingers

gameface_one
11-16-2007, 10:28 AM
Castro mulls stint in Aussie league

The Philippine Star

SINGAPORE – If the price is right, RP team standout Jason Castro could be heading to a more lucrative stint in Australia next year and not to the PBA.

This after the 5-foot-10 Castro caught the fancy of one of the officials of the Singapore Slingers after helping the SEA Games-bound RP team to a come-from-behind 100-93 win Tuesday here.

"Someone from the Slingers approached me and told me they’re looking for Filipinos to play for the team, he seemed interested in getting me," said Castro in Filipino.

"If the offer is good I might try it but I hope I’ll be with some Filipinos so that I won’t get lonely," Castro said.

The Singapore Slingers are campaigning in the Australia-based National Basketball League Hummer Championship.

The spitfirish Castro, who deferred plans to join the PBA draft to join the RP team in next month’s SEA Games in Thailand, impressed the Slingers with his lightning-quick moves and steady shooting.

He finished with 16 points, five assists, three steals and the same number of rebounds in 31 minutes of action.

Harbour Centre team owner and amateur basketball godfather Mikee Romero said he would not stand in Castro’s way if he would choose to play in the NBL, Australia’s version of the PBA.

"I’ll be more than happy and proud that one of my boys would be given that golden chance to see action in the Australian League," said Romero. "And if things work out well, it could be a way for him to play in the NBA."

The Slingers are just into their second season in the 13-team NBL and have made progress in their campaign in the Hummer Championship. Joey Villar

amdgc82
04-14-2008, 06:38 AM
Singapore stint beckons for Jason (http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php?issue=2008-04-14&sec=7&aid=56037)
April 14, 2008 07:29 PM Monday
www.journal.com.ph

IN his final playing year with Harbour Centre and the Philippine Basketball League (PBL), it looks like Singapore beckons next for star point guard Jason Williams Castro.
Serious negotiations are now in the works between the pint-sized Batang Pier playmaker and the Singapore Slingers for Castro to become the first Filipino to play as import in the Australian National Basketball League.
Both parties are currently discussing the length and worth of the contract that will have the Slingers paying Castro a monthly salary of $30,000, an offer that could even stretched to as high as $50,000.
Castro and agent Danny Espiritu, however, are haggling for a $60,000 monthly pay.
Ben Knight, team captain of the Slingers, the first Asian-based club in the NBL, said the ballclub is really bent on pursuing the services of the former Philippine Christian University stalwart, with whom the Slingers first fell in love with when they played the Harbour Centre-backed RP team in a series of exhibition games last year in Singapore as part of the Nationals’ preparation for the 24th Southeast Asian Games.
Knight had become even more impressed with Castro when he played against him in the recent South East Asian Basketball Association (SEABA) Champions Cup in Jakarta, where the Slinger team captain played as import for the Malaysian national team.
“He’s improved a lot the first time I played against him. Shooting, dribbling skills, everything,” said Knight.
Likewise, he added the presence of Castro, former back-to-back PBL Most Valuable Player (MVP), would help draw the crowd in during Slingers’ games at the Singapore Indoor Stadium, considering the huge number of Filipinos currently based as overseas workers in the ‘Lion City.’
“I say Jason could probably attract 2,000 Filipinos to come in and watch him and the Singapore Slingers play,” Knight added.
Playing overseas meant skipping this year’s Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) Draft for Castro, where he is already eligible to apply.
But Espiritu said they are really seriously considering the Slingers’ offer since it is a once in a lifetime deal. At the most, they are looking to sign a two-year contract before Castro, 22, plies his trade to the PBA.
Harbour Centre team owner Mikee Romero also wishes Castro the best.
“I am not one who will hinder the growth and development of my player. It’s a good opportunity for Jason and I really do wish him the best. Hopefully, he can help us win a championship again before he leaves Harbour Centre,” said the basketball patron.
Winner of two PBL championships with the Batang Pier and two more cage titles with the national squad, Castro again showed his value for Harbour Centre when he scattered 15 of his game-high 25 points in the third period of the team’s 10364 rout of the Nokia RP Youth squad Saturday to emerge as the PBL Player of the Week.
His heroics had Harbour Centre coasting to a franchise best 9-0 record and a win away from clinching the first outright semis berth in the PBL Lipovitan Amino Sports Cup.

amdgc82
04-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Castro deep in talks with Slingers (http://www.malaya.com.ph/apr14/spor3.htm)
www.malaya.com.ph

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IF local teams interested in the services of PBL former Most Valuable Player Jason Castro don’t watch out, they may be beaten to the draw by the Singapore Slingers competing in the Australian National Basketball League.

Castro and his agent, Danny Espiritu, are now negotiating with the Slingers who have expressed interest in the Harbour Centre standout to the tune of $30,000 a month that could be stretched to as high as $50,000. Castro and Espiritu are haggling for a $60,000 monthly pay.

Ben Knight, team captain of the Slingers, the first Asian-based club in the NBL, said the team is really bent on pursuing the former Philippine Christian University stalwart. The Slingers fell in love with Castro when they battled the Harbour Centre-backed RP team in a series of exhibition games last year in Singapore as part of the Nationals’ preparations for the 24th Southeast Asian Games.

Knight was further impressed with Castro in the recent South East Asian Basketball Association Champions Cup in Jakarta, where the Slinger skipper played as an import for the Malaysian national team.

"He’s improved a lot since the first time I played against him. Shooting, dribbling skills, everything," said Knight, adding the presence of Castro would help draw Filipinos during Slingers’ games at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

"I’d say Jason could probably attract 2,000 Filipinos to come and watch him and the Singapore Slingers play," Knight said.

If Castro opts to join the Slingers, he will have to skip this year’s Philippine Basketball Association draft.

Espiritu said they are seriously considering the Slingers’ offer. At the most, they are looking to sign a two-year contract before Castro, 22, plies his trade in the PBA.

Harbour Centre team owner Mikee Romero, reacting to Castro’s plans, said: "I am not one who will hinder the growth and development of my player. It’s a good opportunity for Jason and I really do wish him the best. Hopefully, he can help us win a championship again before he leaves Harbour Centre."

Winner of two PBL championships with the Batang Pier and two more cage titles with the national squad, Castro showed his value for Harbour Centre when he scattered 15 of his game-high 25 points in the third period of the team’s 103-64 rout of the Nokia RP Youth squad last Saturday to emerge as the PBL Player of the Week.

Harbour Centre improved to a franchise best 9-0 record and moved within a win of clinching the first outright semis berth in the PBL Lipovitan Amino Sports Cup.

Schortsanitis
04-14-2008, 10:01 AM
Jason Castro will be a big catch for the Slingers. Were it not for a US NCAA Div. 1 6'5" Point Guard named Gabe Norwood, Jason would've easily been the no. 1 prospect in next year's PBA draft.

If this pushes thru, the PBA will be losing a quality prospect, though.

The_Big_Cat
04-14-2008, 10:12 AM
It's about time that our homegrown talents get the right recognition to play in an overseas league that is competitive as the aussie league.

GO FOR IT JASON CASTRO!!

Aside from the exposure, he will be earning more there. It's good for him.

mighty_lion
04-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Noun DH sa Hongkong, tapos construction workers sa middle east, next seaman sa kung saan saan, then nurse and CPA's sa US and Europe. Ngayon naman basketball player na rin. ;D

Goodluck to Jason Castro. We are proud of you. :)

Baka naman pwede tayong gumawa ng franchise team dyan sa Ausi League. Baka pwedeng magtandem si MVP and Danding in creating our very first International Pro Team.

batangueño
04-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Whatever Jason Castro's decision will be, I wish him the best of luck. :)

joelex
04-15-2008, 02:45 AM
may he be blessed in whatever decision he makes, how ironic a 2 time PBL MVP and arguably the best amateur player in the country today is one of the most humble and down to earth people ive ever met! :)

reforms
04-15-2008, 06:11 AM
ginagalang ko yan si mr. castro kahit dati pa kahit na madalas e nagkakabanggaan ang sbc at pcu. magalang at mapagkumbaba yan. yan ung tipong player na masarap kakampi at nakakatakot na kaaway, kasi nga sobrang galing.

goodluck jason! batang NC yata yan!

The_Big_Cat
04-15-2008, 11:12 AM
From one of the articles I have read, Castro's agent Danny Espiritu is asking for monthly US$60,000.

Wow, that is a huge payoff. The PBA imports receive a maximum of just US$40,000 to US$50,000 monthly plus P35,000 in allowances a month. Mas malaki ang kikitain ni Jason, if he truly seals this deal.

Grabe, pang-Import ang salary ni Castro.

Mateen Cleaves
04-15-2008, 12:02 PM
The article on asia-basket.com says that the offer was around P1.2 million, for 7 months. That's roughly 171 thousand pesos a month. Danny Espiritu was reported as negotiating for twice that. Magkano ba ang rookie pay scale sa PBA?

If Castro goes ahead and takes the ABL offer, is there a way for him to be considered by the PBA as a non-rookie? Meaning... hindi na sakop ng rookie salary cap (if there's such a thing). For example, puede kaya siya pa-draft sa PBA ngayon. Sign a short contract. Then take a leave of absence to go to Singapore. His rights stay with the team that drafted him.

Barring injury, I think Castro can only get better playing in the ABL. Pag natapos na siya doon, his value should be even higher if and when he decides to come back to the PBA.

batangueño
04-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Sorry for this "stupid" question of mine, mga Kabayan. Naisip ko lang kasi. Hindi kaya nagde-decide si Jason Castro na mag-abroad dahil alam niya ang nakabitin ngayon ang PCU? ???

Still, whatever his decision will be, I wish Jason Castro the best of luck in his present and future endeavors. :)

Schortsanitis
04-15-2008, 01:02 PM
AUSTRALIAN DOLLAR ata ang offer ke Jason, hindi US DOLLAR. So mga times 20 lang ata instead of times 44 to convert it to Philippine Peso.

mighty_lion
04-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Baka Singapore dollar. Ang laki nung $60,000 pag-US dollars. Mas mataas pa sa minimum rookie scale ng NBA.

@Batangueno - Malabo. Even if hindi nakabitin ng PCU I think he will opt for the PBA draft or ABL stint.

amdgc82
04-15-2008, 01:25 PM
it is not ABL but NBL

to know more about the league and Singapore Slingers, check these sites:

http://www.nbl.com.au/
http://www.singaporeslingers.com/

batangueño
04-15-2008, 01:46 PM
@Batangueno - Malabo. Even if hindi nakabitin ng PCU I think he will opt for the PBA draft or ABL stint.

Thanks for the response, Kabayang mighty_lion. :)

Supposing Jason Castro does opt for either the PBA draft or an overseas basketball stint, what will happen to PCU without him? Alam natin na isa si Jason Castro sa mga players na inaasahan ng Dolphins if ever na makakabalik sila sa NCAA.

james_ty
04-15-2008, 01:53 PM
As far as I know, Castro cannot play for PCU anymore.
I also heard that PCU could be expelled from the NCAA because of more eligibility violations.

The_Big_Cat
04-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Castro will not play for PCU again. Considering yung gulo dyan sa PCU, hindi na siguro maglalaro siya. Magkakaroon lang siya ng "Bad PR" if he eventually decides to play for the National Basketball League in Australia.

batangueño
04-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Malaki-laki ang mawawala sa PCU this coming NCAA season, whether makabalik man sila sa liga o hindi- Jason Castro, who is either going to seek the PBA draft or play basketball overseas, and Beau Belga, who might seek the PBA draft as well. Si Jason Castro yung talagang inaasahan ng PCU pero, yun nga, dahil sa mga gulo sa school na yun, baka hindi na bumalik pa si Castro sa kanila.

GHRanger
04-21-2008, 02:42 PM
Australian Dollars range at around 40Php while Singapore Dollars are at 30Php.

Whichever the case may be, I hope greed does not prevent Jason from playing. I honestly find $30-$40k sufficient for him with all due respect to his experience and skills. IMHO, maglaro muna siya -- gain experience, if he gives the Slingers a couple of wins and a shot at the Finals, then ask for $60k.

Just a question though - Does Jason count towards the 2 Foreign Player allocation (Helms/Donaldson) or the 2 Singapore Player concession (or has is it been 3 already - Wong/Matialakan/Koh). I don't see him having a problem getting a PR in Singapore anyway so it could work both ways.

Good Luck and we hope to see Jason playing for the little red dot.

The_Big_Cat
04-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Most players in Europe especially in the Euroleague get paid in American dollars.

Hopefully, Castro will go abroad. This would be a wiser decision for his part.
If he does play there in Australia, I hope we get to see his games on Philippine television.

amdgc82
05-01-2008, 04:39 AM
Singapore determined in getting Jason Castro (http://businessmirror.com.ph/05012008/sports02.html)
By Joel Orellana
Reporter
THU MAY 1, 2008
www.businessmirror.com.ph

Bob Turner, owner of the Singapore Slingers, is arriving today, presumably to pursue talks with Harbour Centre’s main man Jason Castro, Singapore-based Filipino businessman Paul Monosca disclosed yesterday.

The Slingers, one of the teams competing in the Australian National Basketball League (NBL), have already signified their interest in getting the services of the 5-foot-8 high-flying guard as early as last year.

A member of the Singapore Slingers, who reinforced the Malaysian team in the recent Southeast Asian basketball Association Championship in Jakarta, Indonesia had earlier announced that team representatives will come to the country to formalize their offer to the veteran guard.

Castro, a back-to-back Philippine Basketball League (PBL) MVP, caught the fancy of Turner and his assistant, Michael Johnson during the training stint of the Philippine team in Singapore last year. The Nationals, who were preparing then for the Thailand SEA Games, beat the tall and experienced Slingers.

Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero and team manager Erick Arejola said Turner and Johnson will be watching Castro when Harbour battles rival Hapee Toothpaste in the PBL today in Trece Martires, Cavite.

“They’re really interested in getting a Filipino player, and Jason is their top priority,” said Monosca. “They want to have a good Filipino player in their team so that they can get the support of the Filipino community in Singapore.”

Romero said he’ll be happy and proud if Castro would become the first Filipino player to play in the NBL.

“He has served the country and Harbour Centre well, so it’s time for him to look for a better opportunity for himself. If he gets a good contract, then he should grab it. Anyway, he’s still young.”

According to Arejola, a member of the Singapore team gets a minimum contract of $30,000 for a seven-month job. But with the caliber of Castro, he is likely to get $50,000 or more.

Castro’s handler, however, would like to raise it to $60,000 (roughly P2.5 million).

Besides Castro, Turner and Johnson are also going to scout for other exciting Filipino players.

amdgc82
05-01-2008, 08:01 AM
S’pore Slingers owner here to sign Castro (http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20080501-133815/Spore-Slingers-owner-here-to-sign-Castro)
By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 03:52:00 05/01/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Team owner Bob Turner will arrive in the country on Thursday with the intention of tapping the services of topnotch amateur Jason Castro as reinforcement for the Singapore Slingers.

Turner spotted the PBL Most Valuable Player during a training stint of the Harbour Centre-Philippine men’s team in Singapore last year.

The Slingers, who see action in the Australian National Basketball League, are also planning to scout several other local players aside from the Harbour Centre guard.

“He has served the country and Harbour Centre well, so it’s time for him to look for a better opportunity to himself,” said Batang Pier owner Mikee Romero.

“If he gets a good contract, he should grab it. Anyway he’s still young,” added Romero.

Sports officials said the 5-foot-8 Castro, a former Philippine Christian University star, may fetch $30,000- $60,000 for a seven-month stint.

bunso
05-02-2008, 11:42 AM
gudluck jason gling mo tlaga

leon.guinto
05-03-2008, 02:16 AM
http://www.singaporeslingers.com/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=74859

The Singapore Slingers today completed arguably the transfer coup of their off-season with the capture of the reigning two-time Most Valuable Player of the Philippines Basketball League (PBL) - 21-year-old sensation Jason Castro from his current team Harbour Centre.

Castro's signing has been hailed in his home country as a ground breaking move which will see him ply his talent professionally outside of basketball-mad Philippines and possibly open doors for other countrymen to do the same.

In fact, the official signing of the diminutive but lightning-quick playmaker was such a big deal that it was completed in the presence of a television camera from the ABS-CBN Broadcasting Network, one of the biggest television networks in the country.

ABS-CBN has intimated that Castro's Slingers debut in the NBL on September 17th could "feature a live cross from the Singapore Indoor Stadium (SIS)". Bob Tuner has also started discussions on the possibility that the network, or others who follow all levels of the game in the country, might even telecast all of the Slingers' home games at the SIS so that Castro's legion of fans back home can track his progress.

Speaking from Manila after the landmark signing event, Slingers' Managing Director Bob Turner was effusive in his praise for the 5"9' point guard.

"He is only small, but after seeing Jason play last night here in Manila, we have absolutely no doubt that he will be a huge hit in Singapore", said Turner, who was barely able to disguise his delight at finally capturing Castro's signature after a 12-month chase.

"All the basketball-mad folks in the Philippines will also be tracking his progress on a weekly basis, such is his popularity here." He has already asked to play in the number 17 jersey, and given the fact we open our season on the 17th of September we hope that is a good omen."

Thanking all those who were involved in making this 'dream move' possible, Castro promised to give his all to help the Slingers better their disappointing finish last season. He said: "It is an honour to be able to play for the Slingers and become the first Filipino to play in the NBL. To be able to play in a multi-national team like the Slingers would be a great experience so I am looking forward to it."

Castro's signing will no doubt be able to help the Slingers off the court as well by attracting a good size following amongst the estimated 100,000-strong Filipino community in Singapore.

Added Turner: "Basketball is by far the No.1 sport in the Philippines and Jason becoming the first Filipino to sign a pro contract with us to play in the highly competitive Australian NBL will open doors not only for Philippines basketball, but for the Slingers as well, making it a win-win situation for all."

"Hence this signing is another ground breaking move for the Slingers as it makes us one of the most relevant professional teams in Southeast Asia. Darren Ng's signing from Adelaide earlier last week - with his Malaysian roots and relatives based in Singapore - will give the Slingers an All-Asian backcourt which is a significant move for our organisation."

"I reckon Jason will be something for the basketball starved Filipino community in Singapore to come and watch, and playing alongside Darren Ng will be something I personally am eager to see, especially after watching him last night. Together with Darren and the other key signings I'm confident that we can pull in a substantial crowd for every one of our upcoming home games in the new season."

Together with the re-signing power forward Blagoj Janev and point guards Shane MacDonald and John Fitzgerald, along with the announcement last week about the recruitment of man-mountain Australian center Sam Harris, the Slingers' new-look line-up, which will be again led by skipper Ben Knight, is already looking promising for the HUMMER NBL 2008/09 season.

Standing at an impressive 7"4' (2.21m), Harris is just 2" shorter than Houston Rockets? Chinese superstar Yao Ming, and is touted as the tallest player ever in NBL history, giving the Slingers the aggression and presence they lacked on the boards last season.

The Slingers are also still on the look-out for two new American imports to complete their line-up for the new season, following the departure of last season's MVP Rod Grizzard and crowd favourite Mike Helms. Turner and Operations Manager Michael Johnson will be watching a prospect in the professional PBA League in Manila tonight.

amdgc82
05-03-2008, 03:57 AM
Slingers sign up Castro (http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=sports2_may3_2008)
www.manilastandardtoday.com

POINT guard Jason Castro of the leading amateur team Harbour Centre became the first Filipino to sign up with a team in Australia’s National Basketball League.

Castro signed up with the first Asia-based club in the NBL—the Singapore Slingers—after the team’s managing director Bob Turner and operations manager Michael Johns flew to Manila and finalized a deal. The team had been pursuing the 2006 and 2007 Most Valuable Player of the Philippine Basketball League for some time before they finally nailed it down.

“When we saw Jason last year [in Singapore], we knew he was the one we were looking for. We really worked hard to find a talent from the region and we were not surprised that we found him here in the Philippines.”

The acquisition of Castro, regarded as a smart marketing move, is certain to add to the team’s following due to the large Filipino community in Singapore.

“This is a great moment for Singapore, a great moment for Philippine basketball and great for Jason,” said Turner. Ronnie Nathanielsz

reforms
05-03-2008, 07:51 AM
congrats jason! make us proud! make the Filipinos proud! :)

amdgc82
05-03-2008, 08:01 AM
Two-Time Philippines MVP Signs with Slingers
Friday, 2 May 2008
www.singaporeslingers.com

http://www.singaporeslingers.com/site/_content/image/00119196-image.jpg

The Singapore Slingers today completed arguably the transfer coup of their off-season with the capture of the reigning two-time Most Valuable Player of the Philippines Basketball League (PBL) - 21-year-old sensation Jason Castro from his current team Harbour Centre.

Castro's signing has been hailed in his home country as a ground breaking move which will see him ply his talent professionally outside of basketball-mad Philippines and possibly open doors for other countrymen to do the same

In fact, the official signing of the diminutive but lightning-quick playmaker was such a big deal that it was completed in the presence of a television camera from the ABS-CBN Broadcasting Network, one of the biggest television networks in the country.

http://www.singaporeslingers.com/site/_content/image/00119197-fullsize.jpg

ABS-CBN has intimated that Castro's Slingers debut in the NBL on September 17th could "feature a live cross from the Singapore Indoor Stadium (SIS)". Bob Tuner has also started discussions on the possibility that the network, or others who follow all levels of the game in the country, might even telecast all of the Slingers' home games at the SIS so that Castro's legion of fans back home can track his progress.

Speaking from Manila after the landmark signing event, Slingers' Managing Director Bob Turner was effusive in his praise for the 5"9' point guard.

"He is only small, but after seeing Jason play last night here in Manila, we have absolutely no doubt that he will be a huge hit in Singapore", said Turner, who was barely able to disguise his delight at finally capturing Castro's signature after a 12-month chase.

"All the basketball-mad folks in the Philippines will also be tracking his progress on a weekly basis, such is his popularity here." He has already asked to play in the number 17 jersey, and given the fact we open our season on the 17th of September we hope that is a good omen."

Thanking all those who were involved in making this 'dream move' possible, Castro promised to give his all to help the Slingers better their disappointing finish last season. He said: "It is an honour to be able to play for the Slingers and become the first Filipino to play in the NBL. To be able to play in a multi-national team like the Slingers would be a great experience so I am looking forward to it."

Castro's signing will no doubt be able to help the Slingers off the court as well by attracting a good size following amongst the estimated 100,000-strong Filipino community in Singapore.

Added Turner: "Basketball is by far the No.1 sport in the Philippines and Jason becoming the first Filipino to sign a pro contract with us to play in the highly competitive Australian NBL will open doors not only for Philippines basketball, but for the Slingers as well, making it a win-win situation for all."

"Hence this signing is another ground breaking move for the Slingers as it makes us one of the most relevant professional teams in Southeast Asia. Darren Ng's signing from Adelaide earlier last week - with his Malaysian roots and relatives based in Singapore - will give the Slingers an All-Asian backcourt which is a significant move for our organisation."

"I reckon Jason will be something for the basketball starved Filipino community in Singapore to come and watch, and playing alongside Darren Ng will be something I personally am eager to see, especially after watching him last night. Together with Darren and the other key signings I'm confident that we can pull in a substantial crowd for every one of our upcoming home games in the new season."

Together with the re-signing power forward Blagoj Janev and point guards Shane MacDonald and John Fitzgerald, along with the announcement last week about the recruitment of man-mountain Australian center Sam Harris, the Slingers' new-look line-up, which will be again led by skipper Ben Knight, is already looking promising for the HUMMER NBL 2008/09 season.

Standing at an impressive 7"4' (2.21m), Harris is just 2" shorter than Houston Rockets? Chinese superstar Yao Ming, and is touted as the tallest player ever in NBL history, giving the Slingers the aggression and presence they lacked on the boards last season.

The Slingers are also still on the look-out for two new American imports to complete their line-up for the new season, following the departure of last season's MVP Rod Grizzard and crowd favourite Mike Helms. Turner and Operations Manager Michael Johnson will be watching a prospect in the professional PBA League in Manila tonight.

The_Big_Cat
05-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Wow! This is great for Philippine Basketball. After just a few days, we saw Erik Spoelstra being named the new head coach of the Miami Heat. We now have the first Filipino, Jason Castro, to play in the National Basketbal League.

Everybody was dying to see Japeth Aguilar play in the US NCAA, now there is a new hype and I'm truly glad if ABS-CBN will get to televise the Singapore Slingers' game on Philippine television.

:)

coreytaylor
05-03-2008, 01:02 PM
ang galing! sino kaya susunod? ;D

The_Big_Cat
05-03-2008, 01:50 PM
Saan ba pwede makabili ng mga merchandise ng Singapore Slingers dito sa Pilipinas? ??? ;D
It looks good.

CrossOver
05-03-2008, 02:18 PM
MABUHAY ka Jason Castro! aabangan ka namin sa NBL
Sana kunin din nila si Gabe Norwood or yung iba pang magagaling na Semi-Pro and Pro basketball player dito sa Pinas para mas mahubog pa galing nila ;D

tigerman
05-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Assuming PCU can play in the coming NCAA season, can he still play for them?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

GHRanger
05-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Saan ba pwede makabili ng mga merchandise ng Singapore Slingers dito sa Pilipinas? ??? ;D
It looks good.

The Jerseys look good, similar to the old Japanese flag with rays, except yellow and red orangish. I was tempted to buy one during their first game here... but it'd cost me 80S$ for one so begged off. Might get #17 when the season starts on the 17 of Sept. :) Now about those cheerleaders...

The_Big_Cat
05-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Assuming PCU can play in the coming NCAA season, can he still play for them?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

I think he has a year left. Kasabay yan nila Khiel Misa sa NCAA noong 2003. ???
But I don't think he'll play again for PCU condering his school's future in the NCAA.

nastrans
05-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Since nasa Singapore na siya, will it totally end his college eligibility dahil nakapagsign na siya ng contract e.

Anyway, as for Jason its a nice opportunity for his to ply his trade elsewhere big break yan, I've been in several PBL games recently and he has been extra effort thus far, hope he does well for the Slingers.

amdgc82
05-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Castro tuloy na sa NBL (http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php?issue=2008-05-04&sec=7&aid=58400)
By: Theodore P. Jurado*
May 04, 2008 07:38 PM Sunday
www.journal.com.ph

HANDA na si two-time Philippine Basketball League MVP Jason Castro na dalhin ang pangalan ng Pilipinas sa kanyang pagsabak sa Singapore Slingers sa National Basketball League (NBL) na sisimulan ang bagong season sa September.

Si Castro, na inihatid ang Harbour Centre sa apat na PBL titles, ang unang Filipino cager na magpapakitang-gilas sa NBL makaraang pumirma ng six-month contract para sa Slingers kamakalawa.

Tatanggap ang 5-foot-10 na si Castro ng A$60,000 kada buwan sa kanyang paglalaro na Singapore Slingers, kung saan ang kanyang kontrata ay magtatapos sa February ng susunod na taon.

Si Castro ay magsisilbing ikatlong import ng Singapore.

“Ibibigay ko ang 100 percent ko sa Slingers tulad ng ginawa ko sa Harbour at sa Philippine team,” wika ni Castro sa biglaang press conference na ginanap kahapon sa Saisaki restaurant sa Mandaluyong.

Kasama ni Castro ang kanyang agent na si Danny Espiritu at sina PBL commissioner Chino Trinidad, Batang Pier team manager Eric Arejola, Slingers basketball operations manager Michael Johnson, managing director Bob Turner at talent scout Paul Monozca.

Ang Singapore-based na si Monozca ang naging instrumento upang makapaglaro si Castro sa Slingers, na hindi nakapasok sa NBL playoffs noong nakaraang taon.

Habang naghahanda ang Harbour Centre sa pagdepensa ng korona ng Pilipinas sa Southeast Asian Games ay nasaksihan ng Singapore Slingers ang impresibong laro ni Castro sa tune-up games.

Ang kanyang ipinakita ang naging tiket upang madagit ng Slingers si Castro, na handang isakripisyo ang kanyang oras sa mga mahal sa buhay upang matupad ang pangarap.* * *

“Jason (Castro) is very talented. We will put him as a starter and he will be a great help for the team,” wika ni Johnson.

“We (Slingers) will also help him in honing further his skills,” aniya.

Natutuwa si Trinidad sa pagkuha ng Singapore Slingers kay Castro, na ang pagsabak sa NBL ay magsasaisantabi sa kanyang hangaring makapaglaro sa PBA.

“The PBL is glad na naging part kami ng basketball career ni Jason (Castro) and we wish him best. Isang malaking tagumpay ito sa Philippine basketball as a whole,” wika ni Trinidad.

Sinabi ni Johnson na maraming Filipino cagers ang maaaring sumunod sa yapak ni Castro.

Nang mapanood nina Johnson at Turner ang laro ng Barangay Ginebra at Purefoods Tender Juicy kamaka-lawa, nasiyahan sila sa magandang ipinakita ni one-time MVP James Yap.*

amdgc82
05-04-2008, 07:34 AM
Castro goes big time in Australian loop (http://www.mb.com.ph/SPRT20080504123612.html)
By REY LACHICA
www.mb.com.ph

The signing up of Harbour Centre stalwart Jason Castro by the Singapore Slingers to play in the Australian National Basketball League (NBL) augurs well not only for the Philippine Basketball League (PBL), but also for the country’s basketball landscape in general.

PBL commissioner Chino Trinidad and Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero said the breakthrough feat achieved by the 5-foot-9 guard out of Philippine Christian University could just open the floodgates for other Filipinos to penetrate the international basketball market, including a dream stint in the National Basketball Association (NBA).

Castro, a two-time PBL Most Valuable Player (MVP), formally signed up for the Slingers last Friday, making him the first ever Filipino to play as import in the rich, 29-year-old history of Australia’s top pro cage league.

"We have to dream, and it’s been the country’s long dream to send a Filipino player to the NBA. To achieve a dream, one has to start with a first step, a giant step. Hopefully, Jason will be the one to lead us in achieving that dream," said Trinidad Saturday during an impromptu press conference arranged for Castro at Kamayan EDSA.

Joining the PSA Amateur Basketball Player awardee of 2007 in the occasion were Harbour Centre team manager Eric Arejola, Singapore-based Filipino investment banker Paul Monozca, Singapore Slingers operations manager Michael Johnson, team managing director Bob Turner and Castro’s agent Danny Espiritu.

"Nagpapasalamat ako sa oportunidad na binigay sa akin ng Singapore Slingers. Asahan nila na gagawin ko ang lahat para matulungan ang team," said the soft-spoken Castro.

Romero failed to attend the gathering as he is currently in San Francisco, USA attending to an important business matter, but did send a special text message for his prized point guard.

"Jason Castro being signed up by the Singapore Slingers is the biggest thing that happened in Philippine basketball. This is the Australian pro basketball league, considered as 1 of the top five pro leagues in the world today. Hindi biro ito.

"Players there are as big as the NBA already. The whole country must be very proud of Jason. He can now be scouted worldwide even by the NBA. The coming of Bob Turner and the NBL in the Philippines has opened the door for Filipino players to be known worldwide. This is big," said Romero.

Turner, an NBL Hall of Fame coach, refused to divulge how much the contract is worth, but says Castro has been signed up to play for one NBL season from September to April, totaling 30 games to be played, including 15 at home (Singapore Indoor Stadium) and 15 on the road (Australia, Perth and New Zealand).

Espiritu said Castro’s salary is not lower than 40,000 Australian dollar, but not higher than 60,000 Australian dollar. A specific clause in the contract also had Castro playing as part of the Slingers’ starting unit.

"Jason is filling in a spot where we’ve struggled in the past," admitted Johnson, inducted into the NBL Hall of Fame in 2004. "He (Jason) loves to push the ball a lot, and that gives us the opportunity to run more and make the game more exciting."

The Slingers, the first Asian-based team in the NBL, made the playoffs in their maiden season, but failed to advance past the elims the following year.

"So we hope to turn things around with Jason here," Turner said.

The Slingers first fell in love with Castro’s astute basketball sense when the Harbour Centre-backed RP team played in the Brunei Cup last year. Monozca then arranged a series of goodwill games between the NBL franchise and the nationals in Singapore just as the Filipinos were in the midst of their preparation for the 24th Southeast Asian Games in Thailand.

"We never stopped persuading him to play for us ever since," said Turner, adding Castro’s presence as the Slingers’ import for the 2008-09 season could hopefully lure the more than 120,000 Filipino Overseas Workers (OFW) in the `Lion City’ to watch and support the team.

"When we last played there, thousands showed up, so I’m sure Castro will unite the Filipinos now residing in Singapore, Australia and New Zealand," said Arejola.

amdgc82
05-04-2008, 07:43 AM
Harbour’s Castro goes international (http://manilatimes.net/national/2008/may/04/yehey/sports/20080504spo3.html)
Sunday, May 05, 2008
http://manilatimes.net

PRIZED amateur cager Jason Castro has just earned the distinct honor of the first Filipino to play in the National Basketball League of Australia.

The spitfirish point guard of four-time PBL champion Harbour Centre on Friday signed a one season contract with the Singapore Slingers as one of the team’s three imports that will beef up the line up for the coming NBL season, in the process putting on hold his dream of turning pro and join next year’s PBA drafting season.

Castro, who led Philippine Christian University to the NCAA crown in 2004, will be receiving no less than 60,000 Australian dollar (roughly P1.9 million) plus additional perks for a seven-month stint in Australia’s premier basketball league. The NBL runs from September to February.

Danny Espiritu, Castro’s agent, announced in Saturday’s press conference that his ward has informed the PBA of his decision to forego his application to turn pro. The salary cap for a rookie in the PBA is only P150,000 a month.

“It’s an honor having been invited to play in foreign land. Napapasalamat ako sa lahat, sa Singapore Slingers sa Harbour sa pagbibigay nila sa akin ng pagkakataon na makalaro. Umasa sila na kung ano ang nakita nila para ako magustuhan ay ganun din ang makikita nila sa laro ko sa kanila,” Castro said.

Also present during the media conference were Singapore Lingers’ managing director Bob Turner, basketball operations manager Michael Johnson, Harbour team manager Eric Arejola and Paul Manosca, representative of Batang Pier owner Mikee Romero and the man responsible for brokering Castro’s joining the team.

Turner and Johnsobn said they took notice of Castro’s talent during the RP team’s training in Singapore last year.

“Actually, acquiring Jason would be mutually beneficial for both us and Jason. Playing for a team whose height averaged 6-foot-8 and against equally tall and hefty teams, I’m sure that Jason’s game will, likewise, improve a lot,” Turner said. “Jason’s brand of play, which fast and exciting, on the other hand, is what we need in our desire to figure out in the title play this coming season.” --Eddie G. Alinea

amdgc82
05-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Castro takes giant step, joins Australian league (http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20080503125)
Sunday, May 4, 2008
http://philstar.com

Jason Castro, one of the country’s most talented amateur basketball players today, will bring his wares not to the big stage of the Philippine Basketball Association but to the bigger arena of the Australian-based National Basketball League.

Castro, a former two-time Philippine Basketball League MVP who led Harbour Centre to two of its four straight titles, recently signed a seven-month contract with the NBL’s Singapore Slingers. The contract* coverage starts this August and end in March next year, making him the first ever Filipino to play in the Australian league.

“This is groundbreaking not only for Jason Castro, Harbour Centre and the PBL but for Philippine basketball as a whole as well,” said PBL commissioner Chino Trinidad during yesterday’s official announcement of Castro’s NBL stint at the Kamayan Restaurant on Edsa.

No one, however, was happier than RP amateur basketball godfather and Batang Pier owner Mikee Romero.

“Jason being signed by the Singapore Slingers is the biggest thing that happened in Philippine basketball. This is the Australian pro basketball where players are as big as those in the NBA, this is not a joke anymore,” said Romero in a long-distance text message from the United States.

“The NBL is one of the top 5 pro leagues in the world. Jason could be scouted worldwide even by the NBA. It opened the doors for other Filipino players. This is really big. The country should be very proud of him,” he added.

amdgc82
05-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Filipino tapped as import in pro basketball league (http://sports.inquirer.net/breakingnews/breakingnews/view/20080503-134413/Filipino-tapped-as-import-in-pro-basketball-league)
By Roy Luarca
First Posted 23:52:00 05/03/2008

HE BARELY STANDS 5-FOOT-9, BUT Jason Castro has grown too big for local basketball.

The mercurial guard of Harbour Centre will leave the familiar confines of the Philippine Basketball League to strut his wares for the Singapore Slingers of the Australian National Basketball League.

Castro, a two-time PBL Most Valuable Player out of Philippine Christian University, formally signed Friday a juicy one-season deal with the Slingers, the first Asian-based team in the NBL.

That gave Castro the distinction as the first Filipino ever to play as an import in a professional cage league.

PBL commissioner Chino Trinidad and Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero said Castro’s breakthrough feat could pave the way for other Filipinos to penetrate the international basketball market, including the National Basketball Association.

“We have to dream, and it’s been the country’s long dream to send a Filipino player to the NBA,” said Trinidad during yesterday’s impromptu press conference at Kamayan Edsa. “To achieve a dream, one has to start with a first step, a giant step. Hopefully, Jason will be the one to lead us in achieving that dream.”

Joining Castro, the PSA Amateur Basketball Player of 2007, during the occasion were Harbour Centre team manager Eric Arejola, Singapore-based Filipino investment banker Paul Monozca, Slingers operations manager Michael Johnson, managing director Bob Turner and Castro’s agent Danny Espiritu.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity given to me by the Singapore Slingers,” said Castro in Filipino. “They can count on me to give my 100 percent to help the team.”

After making the NBL playoffs in their maiden stint in 2006, the Slingers were eliminated last year.

Romero, who is in San Francisco, sent a text message hailing the momentous occasion.

“Castro being signed up by the Singapore Slingers is the biggest thing that happened in Philippine basketball,” said Romero. “This is the Australian pro basketball league, considered as one of the top five pro leagues in the world today. Hindi na biro ito (It’s no longer a joke).

“Players there are as big as the NBA already. The whole country must be very proud of Jason. He can now be scouted worldwide even by the NBA. The coming of Bob Turner and the NBL in the Philippines has opened the door for Filipino players to be known worldwide. This is big.”

Turner, an NBL Hall of Fame coach, said the NBL season will run from September to April, with teams playing 30 games, including 15 at home (Singapore Indoor Stadium) and 15 on the road (Australia, Perth and New Zealand).

Pressed for specifics, Espiritu said Castro will be getting nearly Aus $60,000 (about P1.8 million) net as part of the Slingers’ starting unit.

amdgc82
05-04-2008, 08:16 AM
In Huddle
Mikee excited over Castro (http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20080504-134424/Mikee-excited-over-Castro)
By Beth Celis
First Posted 00:44:00 05/04/2008

HARBOUR CENTRE OWNER MIKEE Romero seemed to be more excited than his player Jason Castro, who had just signed a 7-month contract with the Singapore Slingers, one of the 18 teams in the Australia-based NBL (National Basketball League).

“Slingers owner Bob Turner saw Jason play in Singapore last year and in the Jakarta Seaba last April. He was very impressed with him. The Slingers have been looking for a good point guard for two years, and now they believe they’ve found the right guy. “This is one of the biggest developments in Philippine basketball. Jason is the first Filipino to play in one of the top five professional basketball leagues in the world,” Mikee texted from San Francisco, where he is currently vacationing with his family, close to midnight on Friday.

Mikee said Jason would be paid a total of Australian $60,000 excluding bonuses, which is equivalent to about P1.8 million

“I’m very proud of Jason. Now he would be playing alongside real giants. Players in the NBL are just as tall as players in the NBA,” Mikee said.

Harbour Centre defeated the Slingers in an exhibition game in Singapore last November.

“I guess the Slingers must’ve been fascinated at how a diminutive team like ours managed to beat a tall team like theirs.”

The Slingers’ average height is 6-foot-7. They have a 7-4 cager which should offset the height disadvantage of Jason, who’s only 5-9.

Turner, who was at the PBA games last Friday, said he spotted other potential NBL talents in the pro league. He remembers only one name, though: James Yap.

According to the Slingers owner, Jason will be leaving the Philippines in June or July. The NBL season starts in September and ends in February of 2009.

Turner has high hopes for and great expectations from the Filipino cager.

During the press conference at the Saisaki Edsa last Saturday, Turner informed Jason that a provision in his contract allows him to bring with him immediate members of his family: His wife and children if he’s married or his parents if he’s still single.

According to Paul Monozca, the Singapore-based Filipino who accompanied Turner to the Philippines, the Slingers is an Australian team based in Singapore.

“Jason will therefore be traveling with the Slingers from Singapore to Australia regularly. The team will be in Singapore half of the time and in Australia the other half.”

A close friend of Mikee, Paul is chairman of the Parmon Group of Singapore.

amdgc82
05-04-2008, 08:38 AM
Mabuhay, slingers
S'pore club sign Filipino league MVP Castro ahead of 2008/09 NBL season (http://www.todayonline.com/articles/251764.asp)
Tan Yo-Hinn
yohinn@mediacorp.com.sg
www.todayonline.com

AFTER a poor showing last year, the Singapore Slingers are shaping up for a better showing in their third season in the 2008/09 Hummer Championship National Basketball League (NBL).

On Friday, Singapore's only professional basketball outfit announced they have signed top Filipino point guard Jason Castro for the coming season.

Castro, a two-time Most Valuable Player (MVP) in the Philippine Basketball League (PBL), joins the Slingers from PBL side Harbour Centre Batang Pier.

The 21-year-old is the first Filipino to play in the NBL.

Castro met Slingers managing director Bob Turner in Manila on Friday to sign a one-season contract. While no figures were released, reports in the Philippine media estimate that the 1.73m tall Castro could earn as much as $60,000 during his stint here.

"It is an honour to be able to play for the Slingers and become the first Filipino to play in the NBL," said Castro.

"To be able to play in a multi-national team like the Slingers will be a great experience, so I am looking forward to it."

Regarded as one of Philippine basketball's hottest properties, Castro first caught the attention of Turner when the country's national squad came to Singapore to prepare for last December's 24th SEA Games.

The Slingers, who were set up two years ago, finished an encouraging eighth in their debut during 2006/07 season. But they finished second from bottom in their last campaign.

The seven-month 2008/09 season starts on Sept 17 and in a bid to boost their fortunes, the Slingers have beefed up their ranks.

Guard Darren Ng from Adelaide 36ers, and the 2.21 metre tall Sam Harris, who played for Old Dominion University in the United States' NCAA tournament and was part of the Australian Institute of Sports' basketball team from 2002 to 2004, have joined the squad.

Turner believes the addition of Castro — who was also a member of the Philippines' gold-medal winning team at December's SEA Games in Thailand — will not only boost the Slingers squad, but could also attract a large crowd from the 100,000-strong Filipino community here for their home matches at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.

"After seeing Jason play last night (Thursday) in Manila, we have no doubt he will be a huge hit in Singapore," Turner said on Friday.

"He has already asked to play in the No 17 jersey and as we open our season on Sept 17, we hope it will be a good omen."

Turner also said that with "the basketball-mad folks in the Philippines tracking his progress" with the Slingers, their season-opening match may be broadcast live on the Philippines leading television network, ABS-CBN.

Joescoundrel
05-04-2008, 10:03 AM
I wonder what his position is though? Jason is a natural scoring pointguard here. He may find the going a little tougher against bigger and stronger players at the same position.

james_ty
05-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Since nasa Singapore na siya, will it totally end his college eligibility dahil nakapagsign na siya ng contract e.

Anyway, as for Jason its a nice opportunity for his to ply his trade elsewhere big break yan, I've been in several PBL games recently and he has been extra effort thus far, hope he does well for the Slingers.

PCU faces another suspension because of more eligibility violations. Baka masipa na ang Dolphins sa NCAA.

Joescoundrel
05-04-2008, 11:00 AM

PCU faces another suspension because of more eligibility violations. Baka masipa na ang Dolphins sa NCAA.

OT: Perhaps the NCAA should consider having EAC into the league then.

Schortsanitis
05-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Jason Castro's impending departure from the Harbour Centre team will likely benefit most Solomon Mercado, who was forced to play behind Castro's shadow in this conference.

The_Big_Cat
05-04-2008, 12:23 PM
I wonder what his position is though? Jason is a natural scoring pointguard here. He may find the going a little tougher against bigger and stronger players at the same position.

Definitely, he'll play the point guard position. Everybody knows in his collegiate days he was more of a shooting guard but he plays the point guard position as well as any guard.

Castro is an intelligent player. He will adjust well. He lacks size but will surely compensate it with speed and excellent perimeter shooting.

gameface_one
05-04-2008, 10:48 PM
Castro goes big time in Australian loop

By REY LACHICA

The signing up of Harbour Centre stalwart Jason Castro by the Singapore Slingers to play in the Australian National Basketball League (NBL) augurs well not only for the Philippine Basketball League (PBL), but also for the country’s basketball landscape in general.

PBL commissioner Chino Trinidad and Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero said the breakthrough feat achieved by the 5-foot-9 guard out of Philippine Christian University could just open the floodgates for other Filipinos to penetrate the international basketball market, including a dream stint in the National Basketball Association (NBA).

Castro, a two-time PBL Most Valuable Player (MVP), formally signed up for the Slingers last Friday, making him the first ever Filipino to play as import in the rich, 29-year-old history of Australia’s top pro cage league.

"We have to dream, and it’s been the country’s long dream to send a Filipino player to the NBA. To achieve a dream, one has to start with a first step, a giant step. Hopefully, Jason will be the one to lead us in achieving that dream," said Trinidad Saturday during an impromptu press conference arranged for Castro at Kamayan EDSA.

Joining the PSA Amateur Basketball Player awardee of 2007 in the occasion were Harbour Centre team manager Eric Arejola, Singapore-based Filipino investment banker Paul Monozca, Singapore Slingers operations manager Michael Johnson, team managing director Bob Turner and Castro’s agent Danny Espiritu.

"Nagpapasalamat ako sa oportunidad na binigay sa akin ng Singapore Slingers. Asahan nila na gagawin ko ang lahat para matulungan ang team," said the soft-spoken Castro.

Romero failed to attend the gathering as he is currently in San Francisco, USA attending to an important business matter, but did send a special text message for his prized point guard.

"Jason Castro being signed up by the Singapore Slingers is the biggest thing that happened in Philippine basketball. This is the Australian pro basketball league, considered as 1 of the top five pro leagues in the world today. Hindi biro ito.

"Players there are as big as the NBA already. The whole country must be very proud of Jason. He can now be scouted worldwide even by the NBA. The coming of Bob Turner and the NBL in the Philippines has opened the door for Filipino players to be known worldwide. This is big," said Romero.

Turner, an NBL Hall of Fame coach, refused to divulge how much the contract is worth, but says Castro has been signed up to play for one NBL season from September to April, totaling 30 games to be played, including 15 at home (Singapore Indoor Stadium) and 15 on the road (Australia, Perth and New Zealand).

Espiritu said Castro’s salary is not lower than 40,000 Australian dollar, but not higher than 60,000 Australian dollar. A specific clause in the contract also had Castro playing as part of the Slingers’ starting unit.

"Jason is filling in a spot where we’ve struggled in the past," admitted Johnson, inducted into the NBL Hall of Fame in 2004. "He (Jason) loves to push the ball a lot, and that gives us the opportunity to run more and make the game more exciting."

The Slingers, the first Asian-based team in the NBL, made the playoffs in their maiden season, but failed to advance past the elims the following year.

"So we hope to turn things around with Jason here," Turner said.

The Slingers first fell in love with Castro’s astute basketball sense when the Harbour Centre-backed RP team played in the Brunei Cup last year. Monozca then arranged a series of goodwill games between the NBL franchise and the nationals in Singapore just as the Filipinos were in the midst of their preparation for the 24th Southeast Asian Games in Thailand.

"We never stopped persuading him to play for us ever since," said Turner, adding Castro’s presence as the Slingers’ import for the 2008-09 season could hopefully lure the more than 120,000 Filipino Overseas Workers (OFW) in the `Lion City’ to watch and support the team.

"When we last played there, thousands showed up, so I’m sure Castro will unite the Filipinos now residing in Singapore, Australia and New Zealand," said Arejola.

amdgc82
05-05-2008, 06:06 AM
http://businessmirror.com.ph/05052008/images/sports-pic03.jpg
HARBOUR Centre team manager Erick Arejola, Singapore Slingers operations manager Michael Johnson and managing director Bob Turner, and Singapore-based Paul Monozca of Dr. AB Monozca Foundation flank Jason Castro in a news conference announcing Castro’s decision to play for the Slingers in the NBL in Australia. --RHOY COBILLA

By Joel Orellana
Reporter
http://businessmirror.com.ph
JASON Castro would still love to serve the Philippines before embarking on a new career with the Singapore Slingers in the National Basketball League (NBL) in Australia.

Danny Espiritu, the handler of the 21-year-old slasher from Philippine Christian University, told the BusinessMirror yesterday there’s still a strong possibility for Castro to play for the national team in the coming Jones Cup in Taiwan this July.

“Why not,” said Espiritu, when asked if his ward can suit up for the Philippine team despite signing a one-season contract with the Slingers last Friday, with no less than the club’s operations manager Michael Johnson and managing director Bob Turner personally in the country to seal the deal with Castro.

“I’m sure the officials of the team will lend Castro to the national team, because that will also be part of his training,” Espiritu added. “The players in the Jones Cup are taller and bigger, just like in the NBL, and that could be a good tournament for Jason before playing for the Slingers.”

The new NBL season unfolds this September but the Singapore Slingers have allotted two months of training and exhibition games against club teams in Japan and Korea.

And Castro, the two-time Most Valuable Player in the Philippine Basketball League (PBL), might miss the early part of the preseason training of the Singapore Slingers, as he’ll most likely be included on the roster of the Harbour Centre-backed Philippine squad for the Jones Cup cagefest, slated from July 10 to18.

Junel Baculi, the man tasked to handle the RP 5, said in a previous interview that the coaching staff and management, led by Harbour team owner Mikee Romero and manager Erick Arejola, would no longer conduct a tryout and instead will select the PBL players who will comprise the team.

Baculi said he already talked with Castro about the Jones Cup tournament and the five-foot-nine guard agreed to play anew if he’ll be allowed by his new mother team in the NBL.

“As far as I know, Jason will be there [Singapore] in August,” said Baculi.

Arejola said Castro is one of the eight players they are considering to have a spot in the national team for the Jones Cup. The squad will be beefed up by four players from the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

According to reports, Castro will be receiving at least Australian $40,000 or P1.6 million. Castro’s contract also has a specific clause that states he’ll be part of the team’s starting unit in each of the 30 games.

“I already broached the idea to the PBA and, hopefully, it would materialize because we all want to see how Castro will play alongside with his new teammates,” said Espiritu, adding that he is contemplating arranging an exhibition game between the Singapore Slingers and a selection of PBA players or one ball club here to see how Castro will fare with his new team.* * * * *

With the deal, Castro might altogether miss the chance to apply for the coming PBA Rookie Draft this August, as there are rules for incoming aspirants that the player might not fulfill, like attending the Rookie Camp, among others.

“We will appeal his case to the PBA if he can be allowed to join the draft,” said Espiritu.

Meanwhile, local basketball stakeholders expressed excitement over the breakthrough development.

“We have to dream, and it’s been the country’s long dream to send a Filipino player to the NBA. To achieve a dream, one has to start with a first step, a giant step. Hopefully, Jason will be the one to lead us in achieving that dream,” PBL commissioner Chino Trinidad said Saturday during an impromptu press conference arranged for Castro at Kamayan Edsa.

Romero also gushed at the prospect of seeing his own player make it to the big league abroad.

“Jason Castro being signed up by the Singapore Slingers is the biggest thing that happened in Philippine basketball. This is the Australian pro-basketball league, considered as one of the top five pro leagues in the world today. This is not a joke,” Romero said.

“Players there are as big as the NBA already. The whole country must be very proud of Jason. He can now be scouted worldwide even by the NBA. The coming of Bob Turner and the NBL in the Philippines has opened the door for Filipino players to be known worldwide. This is big,” Romero added.

The_Big_Cat
05-05-2008, 11:12 AM
There is no major international tournament that Team Pilipinas will participate seriously this year.
It will be in 2009. So, Jason Castro can skip the Jones Cup this July.

After all, he has represented the country long enough. Last year he was in the 2007 SEABA Cup, 2007 SEA Games and 2008 SEABA Cup. Ibigay na lang yung slot sa ibang deserving player and let Jason Castro concentrate more on his stint with the Singapore Slingers.

gameface_one
06-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Castro won’t say no to RP team
By Joaquin Henson
Thursday, June 5, 2008
philstar.com

Three-time PBL MVP Jason Castro said yesterday the Singapore Slingers won’t stand in the way of his joining the Philippine team if he’s called to suit up for the country despite a contract to play in the Australian pro league.

Castro also mentioned he will likely apply for the PBA draft in August to keep his options open in case the stint with the Slingers doesn’t work out.

Slingers owner Bob Turner assured Castro of his support if he later decides to pull out and return to Manila.

Castro’s agent Danny Espiritu has discussed future options with Turner who only asked the star player to try out the Australian league for eight months. Castro is scheduled to join the Slingers in early July or after he plays for Harbour Centre in the Jones Cup in Taipei.

“I’m still not sure if I’ll join the PBA draft but I’m considering it if the PBA agrees,” said Castro who turns 22 on June 30. “The Slingers want me to try out life in the Australian league (called the NBL or National Basketball League) and enjoy the travel. I’m a little nervous about playing in the NBL which has a different level of competition from the PBL. I’ve watched a few NBL games on TV and their big men play outside and shoot threes.”

Castro said he’ll play point guard with the Slingers, one of two NBL teams based outside of Australia (the other is New Zealand). “I’m comfortable playing point or offguard,” said Castro. “I’ll play whatever the coach wants me to play. I really don’t have to score because our team has a lot of good scorers so I’ll concentrate on passing, distributing and setting up as a role player. It’s an honor to be the first Filipino import in the NBL.”

Castro’s championship reputation has enhanced his marketability. He played on the Philippine Christian University (PCU) team that won the NCAA title under coach Ato Tolentino in 2004, two PBL title squads with Harbour Centre and the national quintet that took the gold at the last Southeast Asian Games in Bangkok and the SEABA championships in Jakarta.

“I’m looking forward to playing in the NBL,” said Castro. “Our team is based in Singapore but in the home-and-away format, we’ll be playing a lot in Australia. I know I’ll be matched up against very talented point guards like C. J. Bruton and Darryl MacDonald. But I’m ready. I’m used to playing under pressure. I know everyone will be looking at me when I play. I’ll just have to prove myself on the court.”

Castro learned to play the game in sandlots in Guagua, Pampanga, and honed his skills with the high school varsity in Bacolor. He was brought to PCU by former national cager Richie Melencio’s uncle and recruited by Bong Sales to play for coach Jimmy Mariano as a rookie.

Castro said he owes his development as a player to Mariano, Tolentino, former Hapee coach Junel Baculi and Harbour Centre coach Jorge Gallent.

“Coach Jimmy gave me confidence as a rookie to contribute even as a role player,” he said. “Coach Ato made me play consistently in offense and defense. Coach Junel inspired me to play my best as a go-to guy. Coach Jorge is a great motivator, a friend off the court and always demands excellence.”

Castro’s father Ronald Williams of Alabama, a US Navyman formerly based in Olongapo, is divorced from his mother Rosario whose surname he took. He has a sister Nikki, 15, who joined their parents in the US when she was five. She now lives in Louisiana with her grandfather. His mother later remarried and lives in Alabama with her two other children, Ronald, 7, and Marie, 5. Castro said he knows nothing about his stepfather.

Castro’s passport shows his surname Williams. But in the NBL, he prefers to be known as Castro.

“I hardly speak with my father,” he said. “The last time we spoke on the phone, he called to say he saw me play in the internet. That was last year. My entire family is in the US but I’ve decided to live in the Philippines. I stay alone in the PCU dorm and when it’s the offseason, I go home on weekends to Guagua to visit my grandmother Rosalinda and aunt Lolita who raised me since my parents left for the US when I was in Grade 2.”

Castro has played four years for PCU and has a season of eligibility left but he’s renouncing it to join the Slingers.

“I hang out with my college teammates and my best friend Dylan Ababou of UST,” said Castro. “Dylan always gives me good advice. We’ve been friends since we were teammates on the youth team. I also sometimes go out with KG (Canaleta) and Topex Robinson.”

One of Castro’s favorite players is Alaska’s Willie Miller who like Canaleta, Robinson and himself, is half-Filipino and half-African American. He also idolizes Olsen Racela for his smarts, Tony Parker for his quickness and Chris Paul for his all-around play.

Howard the Duck
06-20-2008, 02:34 AM
congrats to castro! ;D

inggit si espinas hahahah

amdgc82
07-31-2008, 06:32 AM
Future looks brighter for Jason Castro?
By Jimbo Gulle
Subeditor
DEFINITELY, this story is bigger than just Jason Castro.

Although Castro will be losing the distinction as the first Filipino import to play in Australia’s National Basketball League (NBL), the ace point guard would be poised to make history just the same if his present team’s plans to put up the so-called Asian Pro League prosper.

The Singapore Slingers, which signed Castro to a A$90,000 (P3.8 million), seven-month contract earlier this month, could have the five-foot-10 spitfire as the first RP import on a foreign hoops team if the squad’s owners succeed in organizing the continental loop by March 2009, their target date.

For now, Castro is not leaving the Slingers—his contract with them expires in February next year—and the Singapore squad is not in dire financial straits, as supposedly underscored by its withdrawal from the NBL.

“There are no changes in the contract of Jason,” said Paul Monozca, a Singapore-based investment banker and a close friend of Mikee Romero, who owns the Harbour Centre squad Castro last played for in the Philippines.

“The true and the main reason behind their decision to withdraw from the NBL is a commercial one,” Monozca added in an e-mailed statement denying reports of the Slingers’ disbandment.

“[The Slingers] want to have better access from the media [through the Asian Pro League]. They have been talking about it the past two years. This would open up the Slingers for better sponsorships and player-recruitment opportunities moving forward.”

In fact, Monozca said Slingers owner Bob Turner invited him to the team’s practice on Saturday to discuss the team’s direction in the next two years.

Turner explained that Singapore’s pullout from the NBL—brought about in part by the steep rise in airfares to and from Australia, owing to rising oil prices worldwide—was but a business decision by the team’s owners, who want to focus the Slingers toward the bigger Asian market through the proposed league.

As planned, the Pro League would gather eight to 10 of Asia’s top commercial squads, including teams from China, Japan, Korea and the Philippines, in an event that would be watched by a market of over half a billion people in Southeast Asia alone.

“Since getting onboard six months ago, I’ve firmly believed that the long-term future of the Slingers is in an Asian professional league rather than in the NBL,” team chairman Tony Fernandes, also group CEO of transport giant Air Asia, said in explaining Singapore’s withdrawal.

The Slingers became the third team in two months to pull out of the league after the Sydney Kings and Brisbane Bullets.

“The recent turn of events [rise in oil prices] provided the catalyst to start looking more closely at the feasibility of playing professionally in Asia. I am a big believer in Asean, with its fantastic market of 600 million people,” Fernandes added.

“Considering the potential sponsorships and television viewership, it makes tremendous commercial sense to go in this direction and take advantage of the popularity of basketball in the region,” he said.

Monozca added that Turner told him: “Playing against powerhouses, including a team from the Philippines, is an advantage and not a setback.”

These plans only have Castro even more excited, the investment banker added.

“[Jason] sees the new direction as a wider challenge and a more exciting one considering they will play more countries in Asia than just in Australia,” Monozca said.

Michael Johnson, the Slingers head of basketball operations and an NBL Hall of Famer, also said it was in the “best interest” of the Singapore squad to position itself in Asia rather than just Australia.

“This new direction is the future of this team. All the players, including import Eric Sandrin, who arrived over the weekend, are excited to take up the challenge and show the Singapore Slingers, like the country they represent, can compete with anyone,” Johnson said.

amdgc82
07-31-2008, 06:38 AM
Slingers-Castro partnership intact; Asian Pro League up
By Jasmine W. Payo
First Posted 04:27:00 07/31/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Playing in the proposed Asian Professional League is now the priority for the Singapore Slingers following their pullout from Australia’s National Basketball League.

Although the move dashed hopes of Jason Castro to become the first Filipino import to play in the pro league Down Under, the Slingers will continue to see action in several invitational tournaments in Asia, Europe and the Middle East.

“While they’re still finalizing plans of forming the Asian pro league, the Slingers will play in several invitational tournaments,” Castro’s agent Danny Espiritu said after a talk with his crack ward in Singapore Wednesday.

“The Slingers will continue to honor Jason’s contract, he’ll still earn won-game and championship bonuses even in those invitationals.”

Slingers officials said the Asian Pro League, composed of at least eight squads in the region like China, Japan, Korea and the Philippines, will tentatively kick off in March 2009.

“Playing against powerhouses, including a team from the Philippines, is an advantage and not a setback,” Slingers owner Bob Turner said in a statement.

Michael Johnson, Slingers head of basketball operations and an NBL Hall of Famer, added: “Being based in Singapore, it is in the Slingers’ best interest to position itself in the region rather than just in Australia’s NBL. This new direction is the future of this team.”

Castro, a three-time Philippine Basketball League most valuable player, had inked with the Slingers a contract worth an Australian $90,000 (approximately P3.8 million) for a seven-month period from July 2008 to February 2009.

“I’ve talked to Jason and he’s enjoying the facilities and the training there,” said Espiritu. “He’s impressed with the type of physical conditioning, the offensive and defensive coaches. He’s not feeling homesick at all.

“He said many of his teammates are 7-footers, but they’re impressed with his speed. They’ve been teasing him to slow down.”

Espiritu said, however, that Castro remains open to a Philippine pro career if a PBA squad buys out his contract.

The Philippine Basketball Association has allowed Castro to join the annual draft despite his absence next season.

“Even if they don’t have a tournament, Jason will still be busy traveling and playing for the Slingers,” said Espiritu. “But of course, there’s always the option to play in the Philippines. We all know that he’s likely to be among the top draft picks.”

The Slingers, who won only six of their 30 matches last season, was the third team to leave the NBL the past months after top-ranked squads Sydney Kings and Brisbane Bullets folded up.

amdgc82
08-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Ano’ng naghihintay kay Castro?
Zaldy Perez
www.abante-tonite.com
Nasa balag ng alanganin ang sitwasyon sa kasalukuyan ng three-time PBL Most Valuable player na si Jason Castro, na kinuha ng Singapore Slingers at nag-pull out kamakailan lamang sa National Basketball League sa Australia.

Totoong hindi nga siya mawawalan ng trabaho sa Singapore Slingers, tulad ng siniguro ni Paul Manosca, tumatayong manager niya sa Singapore, pero malamang na maburo naman siya.

Para sa inyong ka-alaman, si Manosca ang nag-facilitate kaya naging madali ang pagkuha ng Slingers kay Castro na lumagda umano ng walong buwang kontrata sa Singapore-based basketball team.

Matapos na kumalas sa Australian league sa kadahilanang pinansiyal, minabuti ng Slingers na maglaro na lang muna sa mga invitational tournaments sa iba’t ibang panig ng Asya, Europe at Middle East .

Ang regular na lalahukan umanong liga ng Slingers -- ang Asian Pro-League -- ay sa Marso pa ng susunod na taon o sa 2009 magsisimula.

Bagama’t plano ni Danny Espiritu, manager ni Castro na paglaruin na muna si Castro sa PBA, may mga bagay na dapat din siyang isaalang-alang.

Unang-una, hindi nakakasiguro si Espiritu na papayag ang may-ari ng Slingers na si Bob Turner sa 50 percent buy-out sa contract ni Jason na unang sinabing isa sa mga options upang makalaro ito sa PBA league.

Gayunpaman, tiwala si Espiritu na papayag si Turner sa nasabing deal dahil wala naman silang ligang sasalihan sa ngayon.

Speaking of the Asian Pro-League, napag-alaman ng Laykdatan na mayroong imbitasyon si Habour Centre owner Mikee Romero. Ayon sa aking source pinag-iisipang maigi ni Mikee ang alok.

Well, kung halimbawa at magpasya si Mikee na lumahok sa Asian Pro-Leauge na balitang inoorganisa ni Dato Yeoh Choo Hok, sec.gen. ng Fiba Asia, aba eh, baka tuluyang hindi na makalaro ng PBA si Jason.

Remember, kaya nga may Jason Castro ay dahil sa Habour Centre ni Mikee.
Kaya kung halimbawang ipasya na Mikee na lumahok sa Asian Pro-League, tiyak na babawiin si Jason sa Singapore Slingers.

melonade0205
08-02-2008, 08:39 PM
if he suits up to play this season (AFC) and Gabe qualifies in the Rookie Draft. exciting talaga ang rookie draft... top 1 and 2 pick for sure

amdgc82
08-04-2008, 07:14 AM
In Huddle
Slingers stint up to Castro
By Beth Celis
First Posted 02:11:00 08/03/2008

PLAYER AGENT DANNY ESPIRITU fancies himself as the type who never imposes his will on his client.

He says he gives advise only if solicited, but in most cases, his client ends up always having the last say.

In the case of Jason Castro, Danny said he has left it all up to the cager to decide whether to stay on and finish his 8-month contract with the Singapore Slingers or seek to be released.

“Since the next PBA season does not open till October, Jason can afford to stick around and observe what will happen in the next three months. If the ballclub pushes through with its alternate plans and stay busy, then it’s okay, since Jason will be making more money with the Slingers than in the PBA. But if the ballclub becomes idle, then I will convince Bob Turner and company to sell Jason’s contract to the PBA team that picks him in the rookie draft,” Danny said.

Of course Danny said it would be much simpler if Jason returns to Manila to join the PBA rookie draft scheduled this month.

The Asian Professional League, which will be formed by the owners of the Singapore Slingers, will be launched in March next year.

Meantime, to stay busy, the Slingers intend to join various leagues.

Danny intends to meet with the Singapore-based Paul Monozca when he flies to Manila this weekend.

Some days ago, Jason called Danny to order P40,000 worth of signature T-shirts to be shipped to Singapore.

Jason said he will be giving out the T-shirts to Filipinos in Singapore who have been very kind and hospitable to him.

“Jason has been flooded with invitations left and right. Natataranta nga, hindi malaman kung paano pagbibigyan lahat. For sure he’s far from being homesick. Marami na daw siyang kaibigan,” Danny said.

As long as the Slingers stay busy, Danny said he has no complaints.

“The experience will be good for Jason. He will have the opportunity to travel and play in different places in Europe and Asia. Playing with and against tall opponents will also be good for him. Jason said his teammates are impressed with his agility, speed and quickness. He can breeze through their underarms like a flash during scrimmage. Ang bilis daw niya.”

Not until I got a text notice from the PBA did I realize that the league’s MVP Awards Night was just around the corner. To be exact, during the fourth game of the best-of-seven championship series.

The Best Player of the conference and Best Import Awards will be presented before Game 3 of the series.

The text notice announced that voting for this season’s MVP, ROY, Mythical 5 and other individual awards will be held at the PBA office in Libis, Quezon City, from Aug. 10 to 12, with phone-ins accepted.

Following are the statistical standings in the MVP and Rookie of the Year races after Game 4 of the semifinal round of the Philippine Fiesta Cup.

Head statistician Fidel Mangonon said the final update will be submitted after the semifinal round. Only the top five veteran players are qualified for the MVP award and the top five rookies for the ROY award. The Mythical 5 will be culled from among the leading 20 players.

Sta. Lucia’s Kelly Williams, best player of the first conference, continues to lead the pack with 35.5 average statistical points. He is followed by Arwind Santos of Air 21 with 33.9 points and Willie Miller of Alaska with 33.3.

amdgc82
08-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Castro may bolt Slingers to join draft
By Joel Orellana
Reporter
JASON CASTRO could cut short his stint with the Singapore Slingers and make himself available for the Rookie Draft in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

Castro’s manager, Danny Espiritu, said his ward is giving himself three months to decide whether to stay with the Slingers, who only recently withdrew from Australia’s National Basketball League because of high maintenance cost. The team, however, continued to honor its contract with its players.

“He’s giving himself up to three months if everything will work well for him,” said Espiritu, who divulged that Castro had already received his first monthly paycheck of A$6,000 from the Slingers.

“I told him that if there’s not much competitive tournaments his team will be joining, it’s better to return na lang kasi baka mawala ang kumpiyansa niya kung sila-sila lang ang maglalaro,” he said.

The Slingers are currently preparing for Brunei Cup, which will start on August 25. They are also invited to play in the Malaysian Cup in September. The Slingers management is also forming the Asian Professional League, which will start in March next year.

“Mukhang busy naman ang team niya but I told Jason if he decides to return in October, let me know so that I can write a letter to the management and ask them if we can make a scheme on how to release him,” said Espiritu.

“We’re open to buy out of his contract. Up to February pa ang contract niya at kahit two to three months ng salary niya ang maibigay sa kanya, baka tanggapin na namin ’yun,” he added.

Espiritu is arranging a meeting with Slingers manager Paul Manosca, who arrived in the country over the weekend.

Castro was allowed by the PBA commissioner’s office to join the rookie draft but stressed the team that would draft him would have to take the risk of not being able to suit him up because of his contract with the Singapore-based professional team.

Espiritu said they will submit Castro’s application for the rookie draft perhaps Tuesday.

myktristan
08-21-2008, 10:21 AM
Castro’s agent wants contract buyout
by Rey Joble
http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=sports3_aug20_2008

WELL-known basketball agent Danny Espiritu is working double time to buy out the contract of Jason Castro, who is under contract with the Singapore Slingers, to make himself immediately available for the Philippine Basketball Association draft.

A highly placed source told Standard Today that Espiritu is now on the process of offering a proposal to the owner of Singapore Slingers for a contract buyout to allow the two-time Philippine Basketball League Most Valuable Player to play in the PBA.

“Danny Espiritu is reportedly doing the draft of his letter/proposal to the owner of Singapore Slingers for a buyout of his contract,” said the source, who requested anonymity.

“There were also flaws on the contract of Jason Castro. Based on the contract he signed with the Slingers, he should get his salary net of tax, but he has been taxed of an amount convertible to more than P30,000 a month in his previous salary. So, if his contract is six months, it would cost him around P200,000.”

Castro’s contract will lapse on February 2009, but since the Slingers have decided to pull out of the National Basketball League and the team has yet to join a regular tournament, the former national team standout couldn’t showcase his real talent.

Welcoat, Talk N Text, Air21 and even San Miguel Beer have reportedly expressed interest in acquiring the 5’10” guard from Philippine Christian University. Gabe Norwood, another Fil-foreign player, who applied for the PBA draft, is expected to become the top overall pick.

But Norwood’s eligibility remains doubtful as he has yet to furnish the PBA of at least a photocopy of a the Department of Justice’s affirmation as well as certification from the Bureau of Immigration that would make him legitimate to play in the pro league.

CrossOver
09-14-2008, 06:25 AM
Slingers sad, angry over Castro’s abrupt departure
By Beth Celis

Paul concluded that Jason must have left his apartment at about 4 a.m. to catch an early morning flight.

“He called me at about a little past six to say goodbye. Nobody knew that he was leaving, not even his cousin Dexter who lives with him in his flat.”

Slingers owner Bob Turner was devastated upon learning that Jason left just like that, according to Paul.

“The team is both sad and angry. They could not understand why he had to leave surreptitiously.”

“When the Slingers pulled out of the Australian NBL, they asked Jason if he still wanted to play with the team. He said yes. They continued to pay him his salary, launching a program that built the team around him,” Paul disclosed.

On Saturday, Paul flew to Manila to meet with Talk ‘N Text’s Ricky Vargas and Chot Reyes. He said the meeting went well.

“They were very understanding about the emotions of the Slingers at this time and offered to ship two point guards to Singapore in lieu of Jason. I will take this proposal to the Slingers and trust that this would be a good option. Ricky and Chot had not been informed properly about Jason’s commitments in Singapore,” Paul said.

Inquirer (http://sports.inquirer.net/inquirersports/inquirersports/view/20080914-160517/Slingers-sad-angry-over-Castros-abrupt-departure)