PDA

View Full Version : Breakout Season this S84, your bets please...

motuphils
05-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Before the start of the incoming NCAA Men's Basketball Season 84, a great number of teams participated in various off-season tournaments to fine-tune plays and utilize seldom-used players with the aim of polishing and honing their skills and build their confidence. With individual players' performance based on these pre-season games and with their performances last year, who do you think will have their breakout season this year?

Mine would be Bam-Bam Gamalinda of the SBC Red Lions. He's starting to get the consistency in his games and that shooting range he has been having a difficulty finding 2 years ago.

King_stag
05-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Jimbo Aquino, This guy has a terrific quick release. In practices he can hit in succesion even with a hand in his face. He plays smarter and he can also create.

The_Big_Cat
05-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Rey Guevarra was the sixth man off the bench for Letran last season. Now that Quinday has graduated expect Guevarra to take the 3-spot (small forward) in the starting five.

BedanRoar
05-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Before the start of the incoming NCAA Men's Basketball Season 84, a great number of teams participated in various off-season tournaments to fine-tune plays and utilize seldom-used players with the aim of polishing and honing their skills and build their confidence. With individual players' performance based on these pre-season games and with their performances last year, who do you think will have their breakout season this year?

Mine would be Bam-Bam Gamalinda of the SBC Red Lions. He's starting to get the consistency in his games and that shooting range he has been having a difficulty finding 2 years ago.

Bam Gamalinda always has it in him. He just didn't have the chance to fully show his capabilities when he was sharing his limited minutes with Jamal & Maggay. I could recall when Bill Velasco recognized the skills of Bam and was included in his list of the future RP Team.

motuphils
05-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Bam Gamalinda will play a vital role in SBC's quest for a 3-peat this season. It's his time to shine.

How about Banal of Mapua? I think this kid has a bright future ahead of him.

joelex
05-02-2008, 12:28 AM
Hermida is a very good player. Looks to have a really bright future ahead of him and is underrated really cause the focus of the success of the past 2 champion San Beda team's were on the triumvate of Ekwe, Escobal and Menor.
Its just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

mighty_lion
05-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Hermida is a very good player. Looks to have a really bright future ahead of him and is underrated really cause the focus of the success of the past 2 champion San Beda team's were on the triumvate of Ekwe, Escobal and Menor.
Its just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

True. I see it more as Hermida over Gamalinda. Has been very passive in the past two NCAA seasons. If there is someone in the first five who will compensate most for the double digit scoring of Alajamal its going to be Hermida more than Taganas and Ekwe.

Gamalinda and Lanete will come in 2nd and 3rd.

razor
05-02-2008, 08:25 AM

Bam Gamalinda always has it in him. He just didn't have the chance to fully show his capabilities when he was sharing his limited minutes with Jamal & Maggay. I could recall when Bill Velasco recognized the skills of Bam and was included in his list of the future RP Team.

Bam-Bam started Seasons 82 and 84 nursing or recovering from injuries. If he can come it at full strength then he should be able to produce big numbers consistently.

franz_inwurdz
05-02-2008, 10:32 AM
Bam-Bam started Seasons 82 and 84 nursing or recovering from injuries. If he can come it at full strength then he should be able to produce big numbers consistently.

You meant season 83 right?

mine would be Kevin Espinosa of MIT. Compared to Bam-bam and the rest. They had quality minutes the past seasons, while Kevin played sparingly during garbage time.

This year, expect a breakout season for him. Bam and the rest might have bigger numbers. But the biggest leap will come from Kevin.

Below is Kevin's season 82 stats.
Minutes 2.4
Points 0.4
Assists 0.2
Blocks 0.2
Steals* 0.0*

lekiboy
05-02-2008, 10:35 AM

sa Filoil na-injure si bambam last year....I think before the game vs DLSU- and they were still warming up... tsk. natapakan ang bola pagbagsak-- ayun!

The_Big_Cat
05-02-2008, 10:49 AM
I will predict this season 84 as an MVP-caliber season for Ogie Menor. At his position (small forward), he is the best in college basketball today (along with Dyan Ababou).

As well as a mythical five selection for Pong Escobal.

franz_inwurdz
05-02-2008, 10:54 AM

sa Filoil na-injure si* bambam last year....I think before the game vs DLSU- and they were still warming up... tsk. natapakan ang bola pagbagsak-- ayun!

tama-tama. kinabahan ako dun sa typo ni razor. :D

mighty_lion
05-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Top 3 in this order:
1. Mike Kong - Trust me he will post a statline no less than 20-5-5-5-3. 20 points, 5 assists, 5 rebounds, 5 turnovers and 3 steals on 35% shooting and 30 FG attempts per game. Based on his preseason performances.* ;D
2. Jonathan Banal
3. Jimbo Acquino

KingRedLion
05-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Bam-Bam Gamalinda it is for me. From the way the Red Lions team is built right now, he will be heavily relied on and is sure to log more mins than what he was getting in the past 2 seasons. He's willing, able and ready-ripe for picking another championship for San Beda. It's time.

Another is Borgie Hermida. Might not be proclaimed as the best PG in the NCAA,but to me, he is one of the most, if not the most, versatile pure PG in the college basketball today. He can toy with the ones in his position and mix it up as well with the big boys in the shaded area. Best rebounding PG I've seen in quite a while. Definitely has the hoops smarts.

JM Wilson had a great season for JRU last year but I think this year will be his best opportunity to break out & shine as the "Heavy Bomber".

Animo San Beda!

Schortsanitis
05-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Borgie has been a bit of a surprise for me, as he always played well in the games i saw the RL play. In a team looking for a leader or a go-to guy w/ the departure of Aljamal, Borgie has been steady in providing some of it in the pre-season tournaments.

The_Big_Cat
05-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Borgie has been a bit of a surprise for me, as he always played well in the games i saw the RL play. In a team looking for a leader or a go-to guy w/ the departure of Aljamal, Borgie has been steady in providing some of it in the pre-season tournaments.

That is why Borgie Hermida was drafted third over-all by Hapee in the 2007 PBL Draft behind Gabe Norwood and Jervy Cruz.

The incoming third-year player has proven to be a clutch player for the Red Lions.

bchoter
05-02-2008, 06:43 PM
^ And he allows Escobal to play the 2-guard where, IMO, he plays best.

The_Big_Cat
05-03-2008, 12:22 PM
^ And he allows Escobal to play the 2-guard where, IMO, he plays best.

Similar situations also for Jayvee Casio and Chris Tiu. If these guys moved to the pros in the future, they will surely be point guards.

Allan Mangahas of Mapua.

cub
05-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Allan Mangahas of Mapua. though he's a rookie, this kid will make a name for himself this season.

LION
05-03-2008, 02:52 PM
^ He is not strictly a rookie though since he already graduated from PCU 2 years ago. Allan Mangahas is really good plays strong for his position although he has to learn how to play a team game. In the meanwhile, I predict he'll be producing points for the Cardinals. He will be the heir apparent to the Kelvinator.

jayverns
05-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Bambam Gamalinda - San Beda
Borgy Hermida - San Beda
Jonathan Banal - Mapua
Jason Ballesteros - San Sebastian

bossman
05-08-2008, 04:06 PM
My bet here is Illie Johnston! It should be a break out year for the former UAAP juniors MVP. Knowing his game he could take it inside and mix it up with big boys and having the ease to play the outside with guards, He would be causing a lot of headache to opposing coaches. It would be a great season for him 'cause he is now playing the main catalyst for the team. Without Orbeta, Cabatu, Urra and others he could just easily step up and bring the Blazers to the next level.

erichubert
05-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Harvey Porras of CSB, I think he is the lone legit center of the team and based on the preseason games, he has played very well. Another player is Archie David also of CSB.

Others would be Gilbert Bulawan and Viray of SSC.

King_stag
05-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Harvey Porras of CSB, I think he is the lone legit center of the team and based on the preseason games, he has played very well. Another player is Archie David also of CSB.

Others would be Gilbert Bulawan and Viray of SSC.

-Gilbert Finally showed up in the game against feu. This guy plays with his heart out. the only problem is his left elbow

King_stag
05-08-2008, 09:17 PM
My bet here is Illie Johnston! It should be a break out year for the former UAAP juniors MVP. Knowing his game he could take it inside and mix it up with big boys and having the ease to play the outside with guards, He would be causing a lot of headache to opposing coaches. It would be a great season for him 'cause he is now playing the main catalyst for the team. Without Orbeta, Cabatu, Urra and others he could just easily step up and bring the Blazers to the next level.

He can be checked easily if that's the case. Last season he had open looks because the defense collapses on orbeta and urra. Without an outstanding guard that can move the ball i dont see him getting those looks. He is around 6'1" but he cant create off the dribble.

chronobreak18
05-18-2008, 09:52 PM
here's my take:

Neil Pascual - Mapua
- he had a strong start last season, even producing Yousif Aljamal-like numbers in MIT's first 3 games (15+pts, 8+ rebounds). Inconsistency, though, proved to be his calling card in the succeeding games. This season, despite the influx of a lot of big men in the Cards' lineup (soriano, espinosa, sarangay, plus the comebacking jason pascual), I still see Pascual contributing more for MIT's cause this season, owing to him being more experienced than the previously mentioned players. being the team captain for this season may also put pressure on him to contribute more.

Allan Mangahas
- former NCAA juniors MVP will have the best performance among the crop of rookies to see action next season

The_Big_Cat
05-19-2008, 10:55 AM
here's my take:
Neil Pascual - Mapua
- he had a strong start last season, even producing Yousif Aljamal-like numbers in MIT's first 3 games (15+pts, 8+ rebounds). Inconsistency, though, proved to be his calling card in the succeeding games. This season, despite the influx of a lot of big men in the Cards' lineup (soriano, espinosa, sarangay, plus the comebacking jason pascual), I still see Pascual contributing more for MIT's cause this season, owing to him being more experienced than the previously mentioned players. being the team captain for this season may also put pressure on him to contribute more.

Allan Mangahas
- former NCAA juniors MVP will have the best performance among the crop of rookies to see action next season

Ian Mazo scored 34 pts for Mapua in one of their Fil-Oil games. He might be up for a breakout season.

sanuk
05-26-2008, 08:55 PM
For San Beda, i think it's time for JR Taganas to break through sa NCAA. Kahit pinapasok na siya 2 years ago, he will surely given long playing time. He also have good jumpshot nowadays... Palit kay Aljamal. I really want to see Du canlas having good playing time... the kid is really good back in his high school days. Pero baka makuha ni Villanueva playing time nya

For MIT, I give points for koy banal's son.. i saw him play sa filoil... pwede na tong key player... For Espinosa.. give him another year pa... considering this will be his first time for mapua to play for longer mnutes. But i want to consider this kid's three pointer... he can really shot from the perimeter kahit crucial seconds.. believe me!

Letran - guevarra, gutilban tapos lalo pang gagaling si jazul

JRU - ung buong team nila... last season 83 pa the issues about JRU and ang pagiging malakas nila... just expect the unexpected for this team.

Baste, i really can't remember the name of this player... point guard to, he has good defense and offense... yet he should improve his assist sa game

perpetual - I saw kong played in filoil... he wuld really improve but he should realize the word team work.

PCU - miss na kau ng NCAA hehehe

CSB - advised for the other teams... be prepared!!!!

King_stag
05-26-2008, 10:54 PM
For San Beda, i think it's time for JR Taganas to break through sa NCAA. Kahit pinapasok na siya 2 years ago, he will surely given long playing time. He also have good jumpshot nowadays... Palit kay Aljamal. I really want to see Du canlas having good playing time... the kid is really good back in his high school days. Pero baka makuha ni Villanueva playing time nya

For MIT, I give points for koy banal's son.. i saw him play sa filoil... pwede na tong key player... For Espinosa.. give him another year pa... considering this will be his first time for mapua to play for longer mnutes. But i want to consider this kid's three pointer... he can really shot from the perimeter kahit crucial seconds.. believe me!

Letran - guevarra, gutilban tapos lalo pang gagaling si jazul

JRU - ung buong team nila... last season 83 pa the issues about JRU and ang pagiging malakas nila... just expect the unexpected for this team.

Baste, i really can't remember the name of this player... point guard to, he has good defense and offense... yet he should improve his assist sa game

perpetual - I saw kong played in filoil... he wuld really improve but he should realize the word team work.

PCU - miss na kau ng NCAA hehehe

CSB - advised for the other teams... be prepared!!!!

* * * All of these teams are prepared, They banner the names of their respective schools.

* * * And Regarding Your comments, Guevarra of letran is realy an athletic and talented guy, but what he needs to show is consistency.

* * * Perps, they play small ball because the only legit big man they have is Rommel Balboa who is around 6'4". The next BIG in coach Bai's bench is Ed Salanga who stands 6'3" on a good day. Kong is their designated gunslinger other than ronald reyes, their ball rotation is fluid, but their half court sets are quite simple because it's pretty much predictable that their primary option is to shoot those open jumpers.

Regular Grey
05-27-2008, 03:20 PM
Gamalinda! ;D :D

-insane-
06-25-2008, 03:09 PM
sbc- gamalinda
kasi la na c aljamal xa na papalit sa slot ni jamal

csjl- gutilban
kasi di rin mag lalaro c del rosario xa na plit

Gym_Rat
06-25-2008, 10:56 PM
^Welcome to Gameface, -insane-. Kindly avoid textspeak when posting your opinions. Thank you.

jpmalpas
06-26-2008, 09:33 AM
I'll go for Gilbert Bulawan... ;D

mighty_lion
06-26-2008, 03:42 PM
SSC - Pamboy Raymundo, Jason Ballesteros (offensively)
MIT - Banal
UPHR - Mike Kong

erichubert
06-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Bambam Gamalinda for San Beda, now that he is the starting power forward for the Lions, he will get a lot of opportunities to shine. Rey Guevarra for Letran, it's about time he steps up and shows his talents. Gari Sevilla of CSB, with so many new faces, he would be primed to take over.

King_stag
06-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Bert (Bulawan) is coming off an injury, He showed great upside during his first season with the stags. Im keeping my fingers crossed ;D, i hope he retains his old form, the hustle is not there anymore

Get_Blazed
06-26-2008, 08:21 PM
CSB's Gelo Montecastro, anyone??

Gamalinda is a given. I think Jazul would also have a bigger role to play this season.

King_stag
06-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Montecastro is a situational player, He plays behind csb's deep backcourt. Jeff Morial who suffered a high ankle sprain several weeks ago is the Logical Choice at the guard spot.

ESCALERA JR.
06-26-2008, 09:02 PM
D I N O *DAA - is this the guy who plucked 25 caroms in one game? *If he continues clearing those missed shots and converting them to score some points...at the same time keeping his man at bay, malaki ang maitutulong niya sa team. Now that FAUNDOOOOOH is gone, he can snipe from the perimeter...meron din naman tira itong mamang 'to.

JR TAGANAS & DAVE MARCELO - with the impending departure of Ekwe, this is the right time either of the two homegrown big men to shine and show their real stuff.

BANAL (the player)- matunog na ang pangalan last season, dumating pa ang tatay sa coaching staff, lalo pang titingkad ang laro ng bata.

Get_Blazed
06-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Montecastro is a situational player, He plays behind csb's deep backcourt. Jeff Morial who suffered a high ankle sprain several weeks ago is the Logical Choice at the guard spot.

Agreed. :)

Howard the Duck
06-27-2008, 01:26 AM
dysam from UPHD

kingtut
06-27-2008, 04:36 AM
Copied from another site.....

BTW - Look for my little brother Jon Semira with the San Sebastian Golden Stags this season. He's part of Coach Gallent's rotation there and will only get better. He was MVP at the PBA of Michigan tournament a couple years ago (when he was 18) when our Toronto team beat out teams with standouts like Kelly Williams, Eric Menk, Rudy Hatfield and Jasper Ocampo. He's a combo guard like Chauncey Billups similar to Mapua's Kelvin Dela Pena, so look for him to take a similar path

8)

The_Big_Cat
06-27-2008, 09:43 AM
KRIS TAUUUUUUUUUUPA!!!

Regular Grey
06-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Sana Rookie of the Year - Gino Solomon!!!

Get_Blazed
06-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Based on last night's CSB-PCU game, I reinstate my bet.

Montecastro has really stepped up big time. This kid is a slasher and is not afraid to break the defense of the much bigger dolphins. His plays were all crucial for CSB's big win over the returning PCU Dolphins.

Regular Grey
06-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Nakalimutan ko nga pala, si Jake Pascual!

strife
06-29-2008, 05:44 PM
BANAL (the player)- matunog na ang pangalan last season, dumating pa ang tatay sa coaching staff, lalo pang titingkad ang laro ng bata.

Pardon me sir, but is this confirmed already? Hindi ko napansin kasi kahapon.

sanuk
06-30-2008, 01:00 AM
I'll bet for Jake Pascual as Rookie of the Year this season - mmmm may maasar kaya? peace! ;)

-insane-
07-07-2008, 05:51 PM
ung montecastro ng csb pwede rin

Get_Blazed
07-07-2008, 06:13 PM

Ok sana but past 2 games ng CSB napansin ko nagccrumble under pressure siya sa late 3rd-4th quarters. Without the lead, parang takot siyang magstep up. Wala pa masyadong guts to take it upon himself to lead the Blazers. Hopefully soon, and mas maging consistent pa siya and with no fear taking it strong to the basket everytime either drawing the foul or scoring in the process. Hilaw, pero malapit na to. There is potential.

-insane-
07-08-2008, 07:20 PM

Ok sana but past 2 games ng CSB napansin ko nagccrumble under pressure siya sa late 3rd-4th quarters. Without the lead, parang takot siyang magstep up. Wala pa masyadong guts to take it upon himself to lead the Blazers. Hopefully soon, and mas maging consistent pa siya and with no fear taking it strong to the basket everytime either drawing the foul or scoring in the process. Hilaw, pero malapit na to. There is potential.

tska basa na rin cguro ung laro nya kung mapapansin mo poh puro kanan lng xa umaatake nd hndi sha nagjujumpshot cguro nabigla lng sa kanya ung mga unang nakalaban pero kung gagamit dn xa ng left part ng court palagay ko lalakas pa xa lalo

Get_Blazed
07-08-2008, 08:31 PM
tska basa na rin cguro ung laro nya kung mapapansin mo poh puro kanan lng xa umaatake nd hndi sha nagjujumpshot cguro nabigla lng sa kanya ung mga unang nakalaban pero kung gagamit dn xa ng left part ng court palagay ko lalakas pa xa lalo

Actually he could attack from both sides of the court, though you are correct that he very seldom uses his jumpshot so we could never guage how well he can shoot it either off the dribble or spot shot.

Regular Grey
07-09-2008, 04:57 AM

Kulit mo insane. Bawal ang text speak dito!

untamed
09-02-2008, 03:46 PM
i think the whole san sebastian senior team is one of the suprises this year. perhaps also gallent's coaching.

in terms of players
montecastro, a second stringer from the red cubs, this kid has a big future if he continues to improve.
sena, he can score around the paint, but he must improve his defense and field goals percentage...
mazo & mangahas, they are deadly from the outside. mapua's secret weapon.
maconocido, a reliable pg but he must improve his outside shot and passing skills for the next season.

mighty_lion
09-02-2008, 04:12 PM
So far I think Daa deserves the honor. Cagoco comes in next.

Howard the Duck
09-03-2008, 08:22 PM
ballesteros came out from nowhere

Get_Blazed
09-03-2008, 09:06 PM
ballesteros came out from nowhere

Hindi naman, sa PBL palang, we already saw it coming.

jpmalpas
09-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Kung ikukumpara si Jason Ballesteros ngayon tsaka dun sa lastyear, malaki talaga ang improvement! :D

christian
09-04-2008, 09:39 PM
^Agree. Iba ang confidece level nya ngayong season na to, he's blossoming under Gallent's system.