PDA

View Full Version : Mapua Red Robins back

gameface_one
04-24-2008, 08:23 AM
NCAA: Mapua Red Robins back

Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 03:49:00 04/24/2008

MANILA, Philippines—After a three-year absence, the Mapua Institute of Technology Red Robins will be back in action when the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) unfurls its 84th season on June 28 at the Araneta Coliseum in Cubao, Quezon City.

The Red Robins, who last won in 2000, took a leave of absence after Mapua’s high school department was abolished in 2004.

The three-year moratorium given by the NCAA board ends this year which coincides with Mapua’s hosting of the 84th season. Without a junior squad, Mapua won’t be allowed to field a senior team this year.

Mapua’s junior players will come from the Malayan High School of Science, its sister school which is the first-ever private science high school in the country. They will be handled by Randy Alcantara, a member of the 1990 Mapua champion team of coach Joel Banal and Chito Victolero.

mighty_lion
04-24-2008, 09:27 AM
This is a welcome development to the NCAA.

LION
04-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Welcome back. Revival of the Red Cubs vs. Red Robins rivalry?

BedanRoar
04-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Yup. It brings back the balance of the league (kaya lang may isa pang school na suspended).

batangueño
04-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Welcome back, Mapua Red Robins! :)

redz16
04-24-2008, 02:07 PM
With this development, hopefully the game day schedule will be back also. Game 1 Juniors, Game 2 Seniors, Game 3 Seniors and Game 4 Juniors.

st_ang3r
04-24-2008, 02:22 PM
nice development...pero i think wala na yung rivalry ng red cubs and red robins sa juniors kasi i dont think competitive ang juniors namin ngayon...sana lang may recruits din sila na magagaling para naman hindi kami kulelat...hehe

oca
04-24-2008, 03:04 PM
nice development...pero i think wala na yung rivalry ng red cubs and red robins sa juniors kasi i dont think competitive ang juniors namin ngayon...sana lang may recruits din sila na magagaling para naman hindi kami kulelat...hehe

Not yet. Pero pag ganyang nagpapasimula ka, people.. the fans, will understand if the Red Robins do get a lot of beating this year and even next year.

Crucial here is the people behind the organization. How much basketball orientation do they have? How far will they go to support the team? If they have the right mix, by the third year they should be turning the tables on the other teams.

...at gaya ng ng sabi ni redz16, sana maibalik yung dating scheduling na sabay maglalaro sa isang playday ang Juniors and Seniors ng bawat paaralan.

Mapua as host should find wisdom in bringing back the old scheduling, if only to develop a sense of belonging in the very young community of the Malayan HS of Science.

Sporting events can and will serve that purpose of developing camaraderie and kinship in the academic community.

Pag hiniwalay mo yung playday ng Juniors, sila at sila lang yan, mga pamilya at malapit na kaibigan lang ng mga players ng manonood. Pero isabay mo yan sa Seniors, with the Cardinals competitive as they are, may hatak yan sa buong communidad.

aircanda
04-24-2008, 03:37 PM
VIVA MAPUA!!... :)

sino ba mga Mapua HS alumni dito? ;D suporta tayo by watching games.. kahit na talo.. suportahan naten..

danny
04-25-2008, 05:00 AM
Welcome back Mapua Red Robins!

toti_mendiola
04-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Welcome back Mapua Red Robins!

The_Big_Cat
04-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Kasama ba ang mga Red Robins sa mga off-season/summer tournaments? ???

Good luck.

AnthonyServinio
04-26-2008, 03:51 AM

Not yet. Pero pag ganyang nagpapasimula ka, people.. the fans, will understand if the Red Robins do get a lot of beating this year and even next year.

Crucial here is the people behind the organization. How much basketball orientation do they have? How far will they go to support the team? If they have the right mix, by the third year they should be turning the tables on the other teams.

...at gaya ng ng sabi ni redz16, sana maibalik yung dating scheduling* na sabay maglalaro sa isang playday ang Juniors and Seniors ng bawat paaralan.

Mapua as host should find wisdom in bringing back the old scheduling, if only to develop a sense of belonging in the very young community* of the Malayan HS of Science.

Sporting events can and will serve that purpose of developing camaraderie and kinship in the academic community.

Pag hiniwalay mo yung playday ng Juniors, sila at sila lang yan, mga pamilya at malapit na kaibigan lang ng mga players ng manonood. Pero isabay mo yan sa Seniors, with the Cardinals competitive as they are, may hatak yan sa buong communidad.

* * *AS IN any rivalry, statistics are thrown out once they meet on the court.* It does not matter if they are tied or at different ends of the standings, as long as a team faces its rival they give it their all.* That's the extra push that comes in.

* * *Having said that, the challenge for the coaching staff and school officials is to incalcate in the minds of the new Red Robins what their rivalry with the Red Cubs was like.* Note that this current batch of students has no connection at all with the old Mapua High School (unless they have a relative or two who studied there).

nastrans
04-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Mapua High School lineup in the Nike Summer League

DOMINGO, Ivan
ROXAS, Bien
ABAD, Roilo
POBRE, Dan
AVIZO, Angelo
HERBREZA, Ryan Glenn
ESPIRITU, Justine
VICTUELLES, Mickey
ALEJANDRO, JJ
CASTILLO, Stacy
GONZALES, BJ
GUILLA, Reynaldo
DELA CRUZ, Joshua
MACALINO, Paolo
REYES, Dominique

BTW, they were just blown out by St Stephen High School earlier, 70-38.

BLUE HORSE
04-28-2008, 12:34 AM
It is payback time for the Red robins. They had a long run as top dog in the NCAA high school ranks when Ike Liwanag was the coach. Other schools can now give them a taste of their own medicine.

Malayan is a science high school. How can they recruit "jocks" to co-exists with the nerds?

st_ang3r
04-28-2008, 01:48 AM
Mapua High School lineup in the Nike Summer League

DOMINGO, Ivan
ROXAS, Bien
ABAD, Roilo
POBRE, Dan
AVIZO, Angelo
HERBREZA, Ryan Glenn
ESPIRITU, Justine
VICTUELLES, Mickey
ALEJANDRO, JJ
CASTILLO, Stacy
GONZALES, BJ
GUILLA, Reynaldo
DELA CRUZ, Joshua
MACALINO, Paolo
REYES, Dominique

sir nastrans...whats the height of these players? if i'm not mistaken they are still recruiting players...

chronobreak18
05-18-2008, 09:10 PM
I saw the players practicing at the MIT gym last thursday night. medyo maliliit nga. basketball-wise di pa ganoong polished ang mga galaw (some of them were fumbling at the passing drill). pero in time these young red robins will grow and, provided the admin gets to recruit some blue-chip players for the coming seasons, i see the Red Robins contending again for the crown 3-5 years from now.

Get_Blazed
08-26-2008, 03:22 PM

SSHS(St. Stephen's) is my HS alma mater! A Chinese School playing in the Tiong Lian league(MMTLBA) with powerhouses Xavier and Chiang Kai Shek.

p.s. Sorry for the OT.

Back to topic, how true is that after Season 84, Mapua's HS squad would be disbanded once again? :o

aircanda
09-03-2008, 09:58 PM

SSHS(St. Stephen's) is my HS alma mater! A Chinese School playing in the Tiong Lian league(MMTLBA) with powerhouses Xavier and Chiang Kai Shek.

p.s. Sorry for the OT.

Back to topic, how true is that after Season 84, Mapua's HS squad would be disbanded once again? :o

i read from an article na kaya may juniors team this year ang mapua is because as a host, it is a requirement to have a junior team.. kung wala.. disqualified sila.. kaya disbanding that team is most likely to happen..

Get_Blazed
09-03-2008, 09:59 PM

p.s. Sorry for the OT.

i read from an article na kaya may juniors team this year ang mapua is because as a host, it is a requirement to have a junior team.. kung wala.. disqualified sila.. kaya disbanding that team is most likely to happen..

Sabi ko nga. Thanks.

aircanda
03-29-2009, 03:18 PM
hmmm.. kelan kaya magkakaroon ang Mapua ng mga tulad nila Mark Telan, Marvin Ortiguerra, Derick and Paolo Hubalde, Jeff Martin, Japeth Aguilar at Mike Galinato na rinerecruit ng UAAP schools.. Gone are the Glory Days.. :(

st_ang3r
04-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Robins rain on JASMS
by JP Abcede

Malayan High School of Science turned a new leaf, scourging Jose Abad Santos Memorial School, 100-50, in juniors basketball action in the 2009 Nike Summer League at the Far Eastern Gym on April 22.

This is a complete 180-degree turn on the Red Robins, which did not win a single game from its first year back in the NCAA as Mapua’s junior team. Other than that, it was them which were being routed and not the other way around.

Ace Basas led MHSS with 17 points, six rebounds, and three steals. Ian Valdez had 16.

Jayjay Alejandro had 14 markers, while JP Mena missed a double-double with 11 and nine boards. Ivan Domingo came up with ten points.

Alejandro and Basas combined for 17 of the 25 Malayan first quarter points to set the tone of the game. Malayan then flew to a 74-30 score by the end of the third quarter, limiting Jose Abad Santos to seven points.

Jino Enguerra paced JASMS with 14 points and nine rebounds. King Somera had 12 markers.

The game started almost one hour late as JASMS got stranded from the sudden downpour.

The same thing happened to Grace Christian High School, which forfeited its game against University of Perpetual Help System Dalta.

The Altalettes were already in the vicinity, which just finished a game in another league and arrived in time after the first afternoon match ended.

The NSL would resume on April 27 with a six-game seniors division schedule. Jose Rizal University is aiming for its second win when it faces University of the Philippines at 9am. Fellow NCAA member school San Beda College-Manila is also on track to do the same against University of Perpetual Help System Dalta at 4:30pm.

Another NCAA school going for win number two is Colegio de San Juan de Letran, which would face National University at 10:30am. Adamson University has a tough assignment in San Sebastian College-Recoletos at 3pm.

Mapua Institute of Technology and FEATI University would debut against separate opponents. FEATI would go up against Philippine College of Criminology at high noon to be followed by the Cardinals against Universidad de Manila.

http://nikebasketball.com.ph/nsl2009/news_read.php?id=187&class=daily

st_ang3r
04-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Ateneo’s juniors counterpart shred Malayan High School of Science, 112-58.

Five Eaglets scored in double digits with Ael Banal scoring 19 points and dishing eight assists. Kevin Erazo came up with 14 markers.

Luis Sinco contributed 13 points and six dimes, Tim Capacio had 12 markers, and Kiefer Ravena had across the board stats of ten points, five caroms, and seven feeds.

Malayan was spearheaded by Ace Basas’ 21 points. Andrew Estrella had 16 markers and six rebounds with Ian Valdez chalking up ten.

http://nikebasketball.com.ph/nsl2009/news_read.php?id=195&class=daily

Sam Miguel
05-06-2010, 08:20 AM
From Inquirer Sports - - -

Mapua nips LSGH, logs fourth FCBL win

MANILA, Philippines—Rodolfo Alejandro and Andrew Billera keyed a late-game surge to lift Mapua Institute of Technology over De La Salle Green Hills in an 82-80 squeaker at Wednesday’s 3rd Freego FCBL Cup at the Buddhacare gym in Quezon City.

Ian Valdez finished with 19 points, seven rebounds, five assists and two blocks to win Freego Player of the Game honors, but it was the heroics of Alejandro and Billera in the stretch that sent Mapua to a 4-1 record.

“My instructions to my boys were to play honest defense,” said Robins coach Randy Alcantara, whose team got off to a slow start. “It paid off. They were hungry and they were eyeing to bounce back from the losses of our last outings.”

Earlier, the Adamson University Baby Falcons snapped a four-game losing skein by tripping the De La Salle Zobel Junior Archers, 78-73.

Ivan Villondo split his charities with 43.5 ticks remaining, giving the Baby Falcons the lead for good, 74-73, and pushing the Junior Archers to their fourth loss in as many matches.

In the third game, the San Beda Red Cubs smothered the Xavier School Stallions, 97-72, to grab their fourth straight victory.

“I just let the boys do their thing since I want them to develop maturity on the game,” said Cubs coach Brit Reroma whose wards now leads group B. Denison Rey Dalupang, Chesmer Melissa Forlales, contributors

Joescoundrel
10-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Lions shackle Chiefs, edge closer to 5-peat

By Joey Villar (The Philippine Star) |

Updated October 21, 2014 - 12:00am

MANILA, Philippines - San Beda fought off Arellano U’s trapping defense and pounced on the Chiefs’ lack of championship poise at endgame to hammer out a 74-66 victory and move in the threshold of a five-peat in the NCAA men’s basketball finals at the MOA Arena in Pasay City yesterday.

Facing a first-timer in the finals, the Red Lions seized control early, slowed down in the face of the tough-defending Chiefs in the middle quarters before unloading another killer run in the fourth to pound out the victory for a 1-0 lead in their best-of-three series.

San Beda guns for the clincher in Game Two tomorrow, also at the MOA arena. Another win will not only seal the Red Lions’ fifth straight championship but also their eighth in the last nine for a league-best 19th title.

A decider, if necessary, will be played Saturday.

“We’re happy we won the game but it’s just one game,” said San Beda coach Boyet Fernandez.

Ace guard Baser Amer dished out a superb all around game for San Beda, drilling in 17 points, making seven assists and grabbing five rebounds.

He also starred in the Lions’ big start of 11 unanswered points with Anthony Semerad providing the solid backup.

“It’s a matter of playing with confidence,” said the 22-year-old Amer.

Nigerian Ola Adeogun turned in a game expected of him – 14 points and 14 rebounds with four blocks and three assists to boot.

“I don’t mind about my stats. I’m thinking more of helping the team win,” said Adeogun.

For Arellano coach Jerry Codinera, they just succumbed to championship pressure.

“We didn’t level up, we felt the jitters,” said Codinera, who steered the Chiefs to their first ever finals appearance since joining the league five years ago.

But the Legarda-based squad hopes to settle down in Game Two and make the necessary adjustment to force a decider, spoil San Beda’s crack at five-peat and complete its remarkable campaign.

Earlier, the Mapua Red Robins shut down the San Beda Cubs in the fourth quarter and came away with an 84-75 victory to likewise move one win away from clinching the juniors plum, their first since going all the way 14 years ago.

Mapua is currently tied with San Beda with 20 high school titles.

“It’s been a while since the school won a high school championship,” said Mapua mentor Randy Alcantara, who started coaching six years ago when they went from zero to five, nine, 10, 11, 12 wins before wracking up 16 victories this year.

Warren Bonifacio led the Robins with 18 points but it was David Velvez who stepped up at crunchtime, hitting nine of his 14 points in the fourth quarter that shattered the 63-all count en route to victory.

reforms
10-26-2014, 08:43 AM
I'm glad the Red Robins are back! What a way to end the NCAA Juniors season! Both legendary NCAA Juniors team tied with the most championships at 20- had to go into extra 5 minutes to determine the winningest juniors squad.

Congrats Red Robins for a great season! Looking forward to more exciting and unforgettable games with you!

PS. Hanggang ngayon naalala ko yung tira ni hubalde against the San Beda Red Cubs in the late 90's.

bchoter
06-30-2018, 06:15 PM
Red Robins beat the Red Cubs, 75-70, in the Fil-Oil

AnthonyServinio
11-15-2018, 07:13 PM
https://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_11101451n.jpg?w=150&h=113 (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2018/11/15/ncaa94-mapua-champions-again/)

https://servssports.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/img_20181115_163657.jpg?w=300&h=225 (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2018/11/15/ncaa94-mapua-champions-again/)

Mapua University is back on top of the Juniors Division after they annexed the 94th National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) championship over defending champion La Salle Green Hills, 77-74, Thursday afternoon at the Mall of Asia Arena. The Red Robins ended the best of three series, 2-1, for the 22nd title in school history. READ MORE (https://servssports.wordpress.com/2018/11/15/ncaa94-mapua-champions-again/)