PDA

View Full Version : 2008 William R. Jones Cup

amdgc82
04-21-2008, 06:10 AM
Pressed for time for Jones Cup (http://www.businessmirror.com.ph/04212008/sports02.html)
www.businessmirror.com.ph

Junel Baculi, head coach for the national team to the William R. Jones Cup tournament in Taiwan this July, is hard-pressed to merely invite players to join the team and would no longer hold a large-scale tryout.

Baculi told the BusinessMirror there wouldn’t be enough time for a tryout and the coaching staff and management of Harbour Centre, headed by team owner Dr. Mikee Romero, would just hand-pick players they need for the annual tournament.

Harbour Centre agreed to a proposal by the Basketball Associaton of the Philippines-Samahang Basketball ng Pilipinas that it handle the Jones Cup. Harbour Centre also sponsored the Southeast Asian Games team that won the gold medal last December.

“We’ll just invite players whom we think are needed in the team. Usually, our concern are the big men. Basically, we have only one month to prepare and I always believe in long preparations for international tournaments,” said Baculi.

“Of course, we will send the best team possible. We are analyzing that together with our godfather Mikee Romero and team manager Erick Arejola. Our approach will be the same as the one we used in the last Southeast Asian Games [Thailand, 2007],” he added.

Preparations for the Jones Cup has yet to go full swing because the players they would be inviting are still vying in the ongoing Philippine Basketball League (PBL) Lipovitan Amino Sports Cup which is expected to end in the first week of June. The Taiwan cagefest will start on the second week of July.

Compounding Baculi’s woes is the availability of the reinforcements from the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

“That’s the problem. Will the PBA allow its players to join us in our training? If they say yes, that’s definitely a big help for us,” said Baculi.

The PBA agreed to lend four players from the three clubs which will be eliminated early in the ongoing Fiesta Cup.

“We’re still working out if we can form an all-amateur team in case these PBA players are not available. If not, we can always hire an import because I believe that’s allowed in the Jones Cup,” he added.

Baculi said Romero wants an 8-4 (amateur-professional players) combination on the team. But he said there is no guarantee this will be followed because everything would depend on the availability of the PBA players.

The Philippines last won the Jones Cup in 1998 under head coach Tim Cone, who brought in the celebrated Centennial Team of professionals who were then honing for the Bangkok Asian Games. The country first won the Jones Cup title in 1985 with Ron Jacobs at the helm, while the team of Chot Reyes finished third last year.

Because there are no major Fiba tournaments this year, Baculi expects other countries to send club teams to the Jones Cup.

“We don’t know if they will still send their national teams. They might send their club teams but just the same, the competition will still be tough,” said Baculi.* Joel Orellana

The_Big_Cat
04-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Commissioner Barrios already said in the past month by July, four teams would have be eliminated from the ongoing Fiesta Cup at diyan kukunin ang PBA players that will participate in the Jones Cup.

D_I_A
04-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Commissioner Barrios already said in the past month by July, four teams would have be eliminated from the ongoing Fiesta Cup at diyan kukunin ang PBA players that will participate in the Jones Cup.

sino ba tlaga? PBA or PBL or mixed PBA and PBL? bakit di na lang yung RP Youth Team? para at least mahasa...

GHRanger
04-21-2008, 03:48 PM

sino ba tlaga? PBA or PBL or mixed PBA and PBL? bakit di na lang yung RP Youth Team? para at least mahasa...

At this point, the Youth Team is not ready for this level. But I do find it unfair for the Jones Cup team because they will be waiting for the last minute bago sila makakuha ng players. Kulang din oras nila pag July lang papasok yung reinforcements from the PBA.

Mateen Cleaves
04-22-2008, 07:17 AM
IMO, hindi dapat pinagsasayangan ng pansin ng SBP-BAP ang mga ganitong tournament -- unless the national team itself is competing. Otherwise, let it be the problem of whatever club or league chooses to accept the invite. Same goes for the Interclub championships.

pachador
04-22-2008, 07:37 AM
since the jones cup is only a club tourney wherein the team with the best imports has a better chance of winning, we are just fooling ourselves in sending the best club team we can. Even if we win, its just a club tournament. lets stop kidding ourselves.

i would rather send the RP youth team to the Jones Cup even if tambak sila sa lahat ng games. At least makinabang ang RP youth sa experience when they play in the upcoming asian youth tournaments.

let's think long-term ! and stop the habit of winning the minor tournaments but losing the major tournaments.

The_Big_Cat
04-22-2008, 10:29 AM
It will be composed by players from the PBL and PBA. Harbour Centre was selected by the SBP to participate and will be reinforced by few PBA players.

Hindi gaano seryoso ang participation ng Team Pilipinas dahil wala naman major international tournaments for this year.
Last year's participation of Team Pilipinas in the Jones Cup was part of its preparation for the August 2007 FIBA Asia Championships in Tokushima, Japan.

The next major tournament will be the 2009 FIBA Asia Championships, wherein the top 3 placers will qualify for the 2010 FIBA World Basketball Championships in Turkey.

Sa 2009 pa ang plano to send a strong Team Pilipinas. Probably, after the first conference of the 2008-2009 PBA Season.

Schortsanitis
04-22-2008, 11:31 AM
The Jones Cup I think is a good venue for our best players to maintain their exposure to international tournaments. Exposure to the international game at least once a year I think will be good for the players.

As for the RP Youth team, I think it is just too weak rignt now to compete at that level. They even have problems beating PBL teams, so how much more these international clubs?

joelex
04-22-2008, 12:12 PM
The Jones Cup I think is a good venue for our best players to maintain their exposure to international tournaments.* Exposure to the international game at least once a year I think will be good for the players.*

As for the RP Youth team, I think it is just too weak rignt now to compete at that level.* They even have problems beating PBL teams, so how much more these international clubs?

agreed, in fact to be honest the PBL teams are not even too focused in their games against the youth squad. Parang inaantok or tinatamad, kasi either 12nn or 6pm ang games which are unusual scheds.

pachador
04-22-2008, 12:39 PM
will taiwan accept 2 RP teams in the jones cup? the RP Youth and that PBL selection? I remember Taiwan also fields 2 teams occasionally to the jones cup( i think they call them (the Blue and white Taiwan teams)...

I think south korea and japan also sends young teams to the Jones cup although i think they are already college-age national teams to get experience( a little older than our RP youth)

The RP youth may beat the SEABA opponents but will they get blasted by the much bigger opponents in the Asian youth such as the chinese and iranian youth teams? The Jones Cup can give the RP youth team a stronger taste of what they will face in the Asian Youth championships against china and middle east youth teams.

D_I_A
04-23-2008, 12:18 PM
will taiwan accept 2 RP teams in the jones cup? the RP Youth and that PBL selection? I remember Taiwan also fields 2 teams occasionally to the jones cup( i think they call them (the Blue and white Taiwan teams)...

I think south korea and japan also sends young teams to the Jones cup although i think they are already college-age national teams to get experience( a little older than our RP youth)
TThe RP youth may beat the SEABA opponents but will they get blasted by the much bigger opponents in the Asian youth such as the chinese and iranian youth teams? The Jones Cup can give the RP youth team a stronger taste of what they will face in the Asian Youth championships against china and middle east youth teams.

Hear!Hear!

the reason why it's better sending our RP Youth Team in the Jones Cup is that the RP Youth Team needs to experience more of the international play, than be acquainted with the inept one on one game played in our country like for instance in the PBL, they lose in the PBL because they play the same old American style basketball, but in foreign stints, one on one has been proven a boo boo, that was clearly seen in our country's bid in the 2007 FIBA Asia Qualifiers. Many attribute the failure due to lack of preparation, but another thing is our habit of executing one on one plays than doing more team plays.

Why won't we give these kids a crack in the Jones Cup, a few more years they're gonna blossom and start maturing as great players.

I don't mind if they lose early in this kind of tournament, worry much if it's the FIBA qualifiers.

Schortsanitis
04-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't believe in investing too much in this RP Youth Team for future competitions outside of this year's U18 tournament, mainly because I feel that we can send better players from the PBA to see better exposure to international tournaments, if that is what we are after.

Looking at this current RP Youth Team, am pretty sure not all of them will reach the PBA later. Some likely will, but most will not. In fact, I'm hard pressed to guess which of these players will make a big impact in collegiate basketball. The Fil-ams might, if they play here. But other than that, the rest are still a big question mark.

Its the same, if you look at the lineups of past RP Youth teams. It is very rare that a team will end up w/ having half of its lineup reach the PBA. Most simply vanish in college.

This, I feel, is not a negative reflection on Philippine basketball, but on the other hand reflects just how dynamic Philippine basketball is. College basketball is so competitive here, that High School standouts have problems making the same big impact in college.

But even if High School standouts struggle in college, the volume of the standouts coming in every year make up for that. Every year we see new High School prospects, that even if only a few of them make it, it happens every year.

It's not entirely true that exposure & training will make great players. It helps, but in the end, it has to go hand in hand w/ talent. No matter how good an exposure or training you give players, if their inate talent is not enough for them to rise up to the next level, then it just won't happen.

erichubert
04-23-2008, 01:49 PM
I agree, the Under 18 team is not really a reflection of the best young players we have, they are simply the best available. Clearly, they will be terribly overmatched in the Jones Cup, of course the tournament is not as prestigious as the FIBA qualifiers but I think sending the team would just be a wasted experiment.

Why don't we send our best under 23 players instead? Regardless of whether they are Fil-Ams, PBL or PBA players, we get the cream of the crop and start training them already. In 4 years time, they would probably form the core of our national team.

The_Big_Cat
04-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Maybe, a composition of PBL players and some RP Youth team members to play in the 2008 Jones Cup would be a good compromise?

erichubert
04-23-2008, 05:15 PM
That could be a good idea, but what is important is that we think long term. The Jones Cup is really just an instrument that we could use to succeed in more important tournaments in the future specifically the 2010 Fiba Asia qualifiers and the eventually the Olympics and World Championships. We should start identifying the talents that will make up our core 4-5 years from now, and let them gain experience. Just bringing in a ragtag team albeit an all-star team will not really do us any good.

GHRanger
04-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Maybe, a composition of PBL players and some RP Youth team members to play in the 2008 Jones Cup would be a good compromise?

I agree with this one, the PBL players can provide experience and guidance as well as steadiness in the end game.

pachador
04-23-2008, 10:31 PM
the bottomline is which teams are available for the jones cup??? if the PBA can release their good players why not??? right now , the only teams "publicly available" for the jones cup are the harbor team and the RP youth team. if its the harbor team that will be sent(which is the plan), whats the point in sending the harbor team?? the only beneficiary to my mind is that the harbor team will gain more experience which will help them when they move to the PBA.

i think some of our fellow filipinos(not all) who are against sending the RP youth team really just want whatever "stronger"filipino team(e.g. some PBA team) we send to the jones cup to rack up as many wins as they can, but again whats the point there other than boosting our ego for the short-term.

D_I_A
04-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Then what's the purpose of having a national program for basketball if we're not gonna trust on the system that is being implemented? we'll surely win with PBA or PBL players, but what if these leagues would prevent their players from representing our country because of their leagues' vested interests which often happens?

i think we should learn from the past experience that we really need to start developing our Youth Team and trust their capabilities. What's talent if they only serve the interests of the leagues or teams which bought them than serving a greater grandeur for our country? ;)

amdgc82
05-31-2008, 06:08 AM
Harbour sa Jones Cup*
May 31, 2008 05:30 PM Saturday
www.journal.com.ph

MATAPOS ang Southeast Asian Games at SEABA competitions, susubukan naman ng Harbour Centre na pumalaot sa Asian basketball.
Tuloy ang pagsabak ng Batang Pier upang dalhin ang bandera ng Pilipinas sa 30th Jones Cup basketball tournament sa Taipei sa July 6-18.
“Mahirap pero we will try our best in Jones Cup.* This will serve as a gauge kung saan ang kaya natin sa Asian level competitions,” wika ni Harbour Centre team owner Mikee Romero.
“Dito malalaman kung ano ang magiging kahandaan natin to have our team for the next Asian Games. Hindi ko pa nasusubukan ’yung Asian level kaya we will give it a shot,” aniya.
Kukunin ng Batang Pier ang core ng koponan na nagwagi ng ‘five-peat’ sa katatapos ng PBL Lipovitan Amino Sports Cup, bukod sa huhugot sila ng reinforcements mula sa iba pang koponan.
Kabilang sa mga nais kunin ng national team sina three-time PBL MVP Jason Castro, Hapee Toothpaste guard Gabe Norwood at Fil-Am center Rob Reyes.
Ngunit pipilitin ng Harbour Centre na magpaalam sa NBL team Singapore Slingers upang makapaglaro si Castro sa national team, habang walang katiyakan kung magpapakitang-gilas si Norwood, na nagsabing gusto niya munang magbakasyon.
Ang 6-foot-7 na si Reyes, na naglaro sa Batang Pier, may dalawang taon na ang nakalilipas, ay babalik sa Pilipinas, kung saan balak niyang sumali sa pro rookie draft sa August.
Sinabi pa ni Romero na magsisimula nang mag-ensayo ang Harbour Centre para sa Jones Cup sa susunod na linggo, sa ilalim ng pagmamando ni coach Junel Baculi.
Huling nagkampeon ang Pilipinas sa Jones Cup noong 1998, kung saan ang bansa ay kinatawan ng mga manlalaro mula sa PBA na ginabayan ni coach Tim Cone.
Noong nakaraang taon, ang Nationals, na hinawakan ni coach Chot Reyes at naghahanda noon para sa Asian Olympic qualifying, ay nagtapos sa ikatlong puwesto, sa likuran ng Jordan at Lebanon.
Suportado ni Romero, ang Harbour-RP squad ay naghari sa SEABA Champions Cup noong nakaraang taon, na siyang unang titulo ng bansa magmula nang alisin ang FIBA suspension, at sa Thailand Southeast Asian Games.
Nabigo ang Nationals na maidepensa ang SEABA Champions Cup, may dalawang buwan na ang nakalilipas makaraang pumangalawa sa host Indonesia.* * *Theodore P. Jurado

amdgc82
05-31-2008, 06:35 AM
Romero cuts short Harbour celebration for Jones Cup
By Julius Manicad
05/31/2008
http://tribune.net.ph

After winning its fifth consecutive Philippine Basketball League (PBL) crown, Harbour Centre still has one tough mission left: the 30th William Jones Cup.

Harbour Centre team owner Mikee Romero cut short the celebrations for Batang Pier’s victory in the 2008 PBL-Lipovitan Amino Sports Cup, as he called on the team to start training for the Jones Cup which starts July 10 in Taipei.

Composed of legitimate Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) stars, the country fared way below everybody’s expectation in the Jones Cup last year as it came up with a very disapointing third place finish, including two heart-breaking setbacks to Lebanon and Japan. Jordan, which paraded an impressive American import, bagged the title while the Joe Vogel-powered Lebanese squad wound up second.

But this year, Romero vowed to make an impact.

“I’m not promising anything, but we’ll do everything to make the country proud,” Romero said. “In fact, we’ll start assembling the team as soon as possible and training starts next week. It will be a long, hard road but we’ll do everything to come up with a respectable finish.”

“It (Jones Cup) will be our prelude to a possible stint in the Asian Games. At least we could measure how we would fare against Asia’s finest teams.”

Though the presence of cat-quick guard Jason Castro is still doubtful, Romero said 6-foot-5 banger Rob Reyes will be back to steer the team along with some PBL stars like Gabe Norwood, Erick Rodriguez, Beau Belga and Larry Rodriguez. Reyes, who suited up for Batang Pier for two conferences, is expected to arrive next week.

Castro, meanwhile, will be leaving for Sydney, Australia on July 1 to lead the Singapore Sligers in their quest for an National Basketball League title.

“We hope Singapore (Slingers) will allow Jason to join the team, even just for the Jones Cup. Playing without him in an international competition will be entirely different,” Romero said, referring to his best player during the 24th Southeast Asian Games and the Southeast Asian Basketball Association Champions Cup.

kryptonite
05-31-2008, 12:44 PM
Anyway, the Jones Cup is just an invitational tournament. I want the Youth team to play eventhough overmatch sila. Ganun ang ginawa ng Taiwan dati. Yung Youth team ang pinadala kahit palaging talo pero after 2 years, kahit PBA players nahirapan talunin. Kung gusto nila, YOUTH TEAM WITH IMPORTS PARA DI MASYADO TAMBAK ANG SCORE

The_Big_Cat
05-31-2008, 01:08 PM
Mike Romero should get the services of 6'10" Gian Chiu and 6'9" Japeth Aguilar to beef up Harbour chances in the 2008 Jones Cup.

Gian Chiu, in a recent TV interview with Bill Velasco, is willing to play for the national team. It is the summer vacation in the US and these two kids are definitely available. Let us see what Chiu and Aguilar has to offer to our national team.

I don't think the Singapore Slinger will lend Jason Castro to the Jones Cup. They will concerned of Jason's chances of getting injured prior to the National Basketball League in Australia.

amdgc82
06-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Unless PBA players are sent, no RP 5 in Jones Cup
by Joel Orellana
Reporter
THE Philippines’ participation in the annual Jones Cup basketball tournament is in peril after the organizers stressed they wanted the country to send a team composed of players from the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

And if that would not be the case, the Philippines would no longer be invited to the multination tournament which the country ruled in 1985 and 1998 since its formation in 1977.

“Yes, that’s the possibility,” Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (BAP-SBP) executive director Patrick Gregorio told the BusinessMirror Monday.

“We will know within the week if the organizers will accept our proposal regarding the composition of our team,” he added.

According to Gregorio, the PBA’s draw to overseas Filipino workers (OFW) in Taiwan, the resident host of the tournament, might have something to do with this request by the Jones Cup organizers.

“Palagay ko para maka-attract ng Pinoy OFWs and that would mean better ticket sales for them,” said Gregorio.

Harbour Centre has been tapped to form and bankroll the Philippine team for the 30th edition of the Jones Cup after the PBA begged off because of a conflict in schedule with its ongoing Fiesta conference.

The coaching staff, headed by Junel Baculi, and management, led by Harbour Centre team owner Mikee Romero and team manager Erick Arejola, will meet today on the composition of the squad, although they were already informed of the circumstances.

“We’re only getting information from Mr. Gregorio because he’s the one in touch with the organizers,” said Arejola.

Gregorio batted for at most six players from the PBA to beef up the squad and the rest will come from the Philippine Basketball League (PBL), including the comebacking six-foot-six Filipino-American Rob Reyes, nephew of former PBA player Eric Reyes who played for Harbour Centre two years ago.

The PBA players will come from teams which will be eliminated early—but the last day of the elimination round of the Fiesta Cup will be on July 4 and the Jones Cup will start on July 10.

PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios, asked if the league is willing to lend some of its stars, said: “I’m not aware of PBA lending players for the Jones Cup.”

The pro league, through chairman Tony Chua, and BAP-SBP have yet to strike a new memorandum of agreement as far as the PBA’s participation in international tournaments is concerned.

The only international meet that the PBA has expressed its willingness to support is the 2009 Fiba qualifying tournament for the World Championships the following year in Turkey.

Besides host Taiwan, which will be fielding its national team, Qatar, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Egypt and club teams from host Japan, South Korea and Australia are competing in the Jones Cup.

amdgc82
06-03-2008, 06:51 AM
FOR JULY 10-18 CAGEFEST
Jones Cup hosts want PBA players
BY CHRISTINE MONCADA
www.malaya.com.ph

ORGANIZERS of the Jones Cup basketball tournament in Taipei set on July 10-18 prefer a squad of PBA stars over amateur team Harbour Center, according to Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas secretary-general Patrick Gregorio.

The pro league schedule, however, is in conflict with the Jones Cup, raising the possibility the country may not be represented at all in the annual cagefest, unless organizers relent and allow the Batang Pier to compete.

The PBA also has yet to commit to any new deal with the SBP regarding the participation of its players in international events, making it impossible to conform to the organizers’ demand.

The only international cage event the PBA has expressed willingness to support is the 2009 FIBA qualifying tournament for the World Championships in Turkey.

Despite this, Gregorio is drawing up a plan to include around six PBA players–to be picked from teams exiting early in the Fiesta Cup–in the team although it is uncertain how Jones Cup organizers will respond to the proposal.

The SBP had earlier informed the hosts that Harbour Centre, winner of five straight titles in the commercial-amateur PBL, will join the event.

"I wouldn’t go ahead of myself and say that it’s a threat. But I would say it’s a possibility. But we’re hoping they will consider our request," Gregorio said yesterday.

A response from Taiwanese organizers regarding RP’s participation is expected this week.

"We will know within the week if the organizers will accept our proposal regarding the composition of our team.

"(Oganizers) inquired kung sino ang ipapadala natin sa competition. At the same time, they requested that we field a team composed of a selection of PBA players.

"Palagay ko para maka-attract ng Pinoy OFWs and that would mean better ticket sales for them."

Head coach Junel Baculi, Harbour Centre team owner Mikee Romero and manager Erick Arejola are se to meet today to discuss the composition of the squad.

The Philippines won the Jones Cup in 1985 and 1998.

amdgc82
06-03-2008, 07:11 AM
HARBOUR CENTRE FIT, BUT...
No RP team in Jones Cup if PBA won’t play?
By Julius Manicad
06/03/2008

The Philippines already skipped Fiba-Asia Champions Cup last month. It is on the verge of missing the 30th William Jones, too.

BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) outgoing executive director Patrick Gregorio yesterday admitted to have received a communique from Jones Cup organizers recently, asking him to send a Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) squad to represent the country, instead of Harbour Centre, five-time champion of the Philippine Basketball League (PBL).

Failure to comply means non-invitation of the Philippines to the prestigious commercial tourney where the finest club, collegiate and national teams from all over Asia will be battling for cage supremacy starting July 10 in Taiwan.

Gregorio said organizers are convincing him to field a professional squad for marketing reasons since Taiwan is a country rich with Filipino spectators, most of them overseas Filipino workers. He replied to the organizers’ letter to explain that Batang Pier is a big hit in the Philippines. Harbour will also be boosted with five to six PBA players who could possibly draw a good crowd.

The PBA board of governors reached a decision three months ago backing out of Asian-level competitions like the Fiba-Asia Champions Cup and the Jones Cup, a move which came shortly after the expiration of the memorandum of agreement forged between the PBA and the SBP.

The PBA, however, still remains open in the possibility of joining world-class tourneys such as the World Championship and the Olympics.

Gregorio offered the Fiba-Asia Champions Cup to Harbour Centre team owner Mikee Romero after the PBA withdrawal.

“I don’t want to second-guess the organizers but if they would not invite us, then we might as well skip the tournament. Of course, they reserve the right whether to invite us or not. If not, we won’t push ourselves and just skip the tourney,” Gregorio said.

Since its launching 30 years ago, the Philippines won only thrice in the highly-competitive Jones Cup with the last coming in 1998 when the Centennial Team defeated Chinese Taipei for the title. Last year, Team Philippines bannered by its all-professional national team wound up third, losing a pair of heart-breakers to a collegiate team from Japan and the Joe Vogel-powered Lebanese squad, respectively.

Sai
06-03-2008, 09:17 AM
e di wag na sumali, cno ba cla(mga taiwanese) para icommand tyo
cla yng talo dahil kunting pinoy lng manonood

gameface_one
06-03-2008, 10:21 AM
^^^Hi Sai. No txt speak pls. Welcome to Gameface. :)

Sai
06-03-2008, 10:23 AM
oh ok, hehehe.. sori ;D

GHRanger
06-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Actually, it sounds more like a threat. *They send out a invite, we give the team, they take the invite back.

I wouldn't say that the Jones Cup contains the Finest of all Asia as what the reporter said - but herein lies the contradiction.

Failure to comply means non-invitation of the Philippines to the prestigious commercial tourney where the finest club, collegiate and national teams from all over Asia will be battling for cage supremacy starting July 10 in Taiwan.

--

Last year, Team Philippines bannered by its all-professional national team wound up third, losing a pair of heart-breakers to a collegiate team from Japan and the Joe Vogel-powered Lebanese squad, respectively.

Kung di natin pwede padala yung youth team at yung amateur commercial, It would be best to skip this tournament. *This case, wala talaga silang makukuha sa mga OFWs. :)

The_Big_Cat
06-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Actually, it sounds more like a threat. They send out a invite, we give the team, they take the invite back.
I wouldn't say that the Jones Cup contains the Finest of all Asia as what the reporter said
Kung di natin pwede padala yung youth team at yung amateur commercial, It would be best to skip this tournament. This case, wala talaga silang makukuha sa mga OFWs. :)

They can compromise with a few PBA players in the lineup. Just like what they did in the 2006 Jones Cup, they were reinforced with Coca-Cola players Ali Peek & John Arigo, Air21's De Ocampo brothers plus Nino Canaleta and amateurs then, Denok Miranda, LA Tenorio, Joseph Yeo, Arwind Santos & Abby Santos. The 2006 team was also coached by Chot Reyes.

pachador
06-03-2008, 01:32 PM
the taiwanese are just bluffing. if they are gonna be choosy then we shoud not send a team. why send a PBA team that will only benefit taiwan and give the taiwanese team learning experience? send the RP youth team so it is the filipinos who gains the experience. the jones cup is for practice only. if they wont accept any filipino team then the jones cup gym will only be half full because no filipino OFWs there hahaha.

sending the PBL selection does not make sense either. whats the point sending pbl? better send the RP youth team so they gain experience. if Romero wants to prove he is SBP leader material he should have said " no no no , not harbor master. we should send RP youth instead"

The_Big_Cat
06-03-2008, 01:53 PM
I am guessing that Iran will play in the 2008 Jones Cup. It will be a good tune-up tournament for them before going to the Beijing Olympics in August..

I would like to see how the 6'10" Gian Chiu and 6'9" Japeth Aguilar (if they will be available) play against the taller Iranians especially the 7'1" Hedadi.

amdgc82
06-04-2008, 07:01 AM
‘No unseen hand in Cup issue’
By Joel Orellana
Reporter
PATRICK GREGORIO, the executive director of Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (BAP-SBP), laughed off rumors that a top international basketball official had something to do with the impending nonparticipation of the country in the coming Jones Cup in Taipei.

Rumors circulated Tuesday that Gregorio’s run-in with International Basketball Federation Asia secretary-general Dato Yeoh Choo Hook is what is keeping the Philippine team’s stint in the July Jones Cup in a bind.

“That’s not true, far from the truth,” said Gregorio Tuesday as the BAP-SBP was awaiting official word from the Jones Cup organizers if a Harbour Centre-backed squad would be allowed to compete in the tournament.

“I was even in Malaysia last month and had dinner with Dato. Malayo ‘yan,” Gregorio added.

The BAP-SBP official got annoyed with Dato Yeoh in the last Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) Championship in Jakarta, Indonesia, after the Malaysian allegedly eluded officials from the Philippine squad, also represented by Harbour Centre, who were trying to appeal the inclusion of Nigerian Sam Ekwe on the roster as an import.

The confusion left the RP 5 hapless and finished only second in the tournament where the Filipinos were picked to win.

Dato Yeoh is known to be a close ally of the beleaguered BAP secretary-general Graham Lim and that raised an ugly speculation the two connived to make it difficult for the Philippines to participate in the Jones Cup. But Lim stressed “it’s all rumors.”

The organizers of the 30th Jones Cup told BAP-SBP that they want a selection of Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) players to represent the Philippines in the tournament mainly because the pros would attract more Filipino workers in Taipei to watch the games.

“Walang kinalaman ang Jones Cup sa Seaba. Ang Jones Cup malapit sa PBA,” said Gregorio.

Harbour Centre was again tapped to represent the country in the tournament and team owner Mikee Romero said Tuesday, in the weekly Philippine Sportswriters Association Forum at the Shakey’s United Nations Avenue, that they are ready to form a squad any time.

“Coach Junel [Baculi] told me that there’s really a slim chance to win there because of the short preparation and we really don’t have tall players to compete against the other teams,” said Romero.

“We want to join the Jones Cup just to gauge the level of competition there, para makita natin kung nasaan tayo with this kind of lineup ’pag dating sa Asian level,” the amateur basketball godfather added.

Three-time Most Valuable Player Jason Castro, Solomon Mercado, Beau Belga, Jeff Chan, Jonathan Fernandez, Chad Alonzo and Rob Reyes are being eyed to form the core of the team. At least four PBA players are also on the wish list of the BAP-SBP to beef up the squad.

Team manager Erick Arejola said they are also looking at the availability of former Ateneo stalwart Japeth Aguilar, the six-foot-nine athletic forward who played two games in the Western Kentucky University varsity team in the last US NCAA basketball tournament.

But as of late Tuesday, Gregorio said that the Jones Cup organizers have yet to give them the go signal to join the competition with the kind of lineup he is proposing—which would be without PBA stars.

“We should get the advisory within this week. Otherwise, we have to skip the tournament,” Gregorio said.

amdgc82
06-04-2008, 07:07 AM
June 04, 2008 06:00 PM Wednesday*
Batang Pier to play in Jones Cup?*
www.journal.com.ph
HARBOUR Centre team owner Mikee Romero remains hopeful that his team,* winner of five straight titles in the PBL, will be tapped to represent* the country in the 30th Jones Cup next month.
Romero said his squad is more than willing to don the RP colors once more, the same way it did in winning the gold medal in the 2007 SEABA in Jakarta and the 2007 SEA Games in Thailand.
In yesterday’s PSA Forum at Shakey’s along UN Avenue, Romero* reacted to reports that Jones Cup organizers want a PBA team, and nothing less, to represent the Philippine in the Taiwan meet.
“Maybe they want a PBA team because it can bring in the crowd and the Filipinos in Taiwan. But I think our national team is equally* entertaining and popular and equally great as PBA teams,” he said.
Romero said he has talked to Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director Pato Gregorio about their willingness to field a team that can be reinforced by a few players from the PBA.
“We’re still awaiting confirmation from the SBP which deals with* the Jones Cup organizers. Maybe we can get the confirmation within the* week,” said Romero.
Also gracing the forum sponsored by Shakey’s, the Philippine Amusements and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR), Accel, Brickroad gym and Aspen Spa and MedCentral Medical Clinics and Diagnostic Ceneter were Harbour Center key players Jason Castro, the reigning MVP in the PBL, and Solomon Mercado, and team officials Erick Arejola and Albert Tirona.
In case they are called in, Harbour Centre will tap Junel Baculi as head coach.
Gregorio, according to Romero, said Harbour Centre can probably pick four or five PBA players from the three teams that will be eliminated in the ongoing PBA Fiesta Conference.
To ensure that the Harbour Centre team will be equally strong and equally entertaining, Romero said they’re planning to tap the services of Japeth Aguilar, Gabe Norwood and Rob Reyes who are all in the US.
The 6-foo-t-9 Aguilar, son of former PBA player Peter Aguilar, saw action for the Western Kentucky University in the US NCAA Division 1 last year and can surely provided the ceiling for the team.
Norwood, of Hapee Toothpaste, is the sensational Fil-American who helped the country win the gold in the SEA Games while Reyes saw action for Harbour Centre two years ago.* *

amdgc82
06-04-2008, 07:24 AM
OLD CAGE HAND CLAIMS: ‘Very little chance for RP Jones stint’
By Julius Manicad
06/04/2008

As the Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) patiently waits for the formal invitation from organizers of the 30th William Jones Cup, a prominent basketball personality fears that the much-awaited green light may no longer come since Chinese-Taipei has the right to invite whom they wish to include in their annual basketball spectacle.

Mauricio “Moying” Martelino, former secretary general of the Asian Basketball Confederation (ABC), yesterday explained the Jones Cup as a commercial invitational league organized by the Chinese-Taipei Basketball Association. For that, the hosts could tap teams that could deliver returns from ticket sales and television revenue.

Since organizers prefer stars from the Philippine Basketball Association rather than the nucleus of five-time Philippine Basketball League (PBL) champion Harbour Centre to represent the Philippines, Martelino said organizers might not invite a Philippine squad other than one from the PBA. Not unless outgoing SBP executive director Patrick Gregorio could come up with a very convincing explanation to make the hosts reconsider.

The Jones Cup was conceptualized in 1977 to honor former ABC secretary general Renato William Jones and convince Fiba its then suspension of Taipei then should be lifted. Taipei was banned in the early 1970s for using the name of the People’s Republic of China in the international arena.

“It could be very possible because the PBA is a magnet for OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) in Taiwan,” said Martelino, who sat as ABC secretary general from 1991 to 1998. “If they won’t invite our PBL team, they reserve the right to it. It (Jones Cup) is not sanctioned by Fiba-Asia, it is their (Taiwanese) league. It is not an official tournament, but a commercial league like our PBL or PBA which also seeks more profit.”

Gregorio also affirmed Martelino’s statement, claiming that Fiba-Asia and Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) officials like secretary general Dato Yeoh Choo Hock and technical director Col. Lee Kwak Wan of Malaysia have nothing to do with the league since they are not part of the Jones’ Cup organizing body.

He said he is expecting the organizers to come up with an answer within this week.

Harbour Centre team owner Mikee Romero, however, remains hopeful his scrappy Batang Pier would come up with a good fight against Asia’s finest clubs, when the Jones Cup starts on July 10 in Taipei.

amdgc82
06-04-2008, 07:30 AM
Jones Cup organizers ayaw sa Harbour?
Zaldy Perez
www.abante-tonite.com
Parang isang malaking insulto ang ginawa ng Jones Cup organizer sa isang team tulad ng Harbour Centre.

Imagine, handang-handa na ang ka-tsa-champion pa lamang na Batang Pier sa PBL, heto’t balitang ni-reject sila ng Jones Cup organizers. Ang gusto daw ng mga taga-Jones Cup eh, team from the PBA ang ipadala sa torneo na idaraos sa darating na Hulyo.

Pakiramdam yata ng Jones Cup eh napaka-prestihiyoso na ng kanilang liga, gayong kung hindi sila lahukan ng Pilipinas eh hindi pa makakuha ng magandang publisidad dito sa buong Asya.

Totoong, maging ang mga bansa sa United States, Australia at kung saan-saan pa nagmumula ang sumasali sa taunang torneo, pero anong kalidad namang team ang ipinadadala nila. Kumbaga sa ginto, walang karats.

Sabi nga ng kaibigan nating si Pato Gregorio, outgoing executive director ng SBP, hindi naman sa maliit ang tingin sa Harbour Centre at hindi ito ang issue kundi mataas lamang ang tingin ng Jones Cup organizers sa PBA. Siyempre nagbibiro lamang si Pato sa kanyang sinabi, pero maaring hindi alam ng organi*zers ng Jones Cup ang credentials ng Harbour Centre ni Mikee Romero.

Ayon kay Pato, hinihintay pa nila ang desisyon ng organizers kung papayag na Harbour Centre ang kumatawan sa Pilipinas dahil sa conflict sa schedule ng PBA.

Gayunpaman, kahit na sabihing pumayag ang Jones Cup na Harbour Centre ang maglaro, kung ako kay Mikee, hindi ko na papayagan pa ang team na pumunta ng Taipei sa Hulyo. Tutal parang napipilitan lamang sila, eh di ‘yung mga nauuto na lamang ng Jones Cup ang su*mali at sa gayun malaki-laking halaga rin ang matiti*pid ni Mikee kung hindi pupunta ng Taipei. Ano namang mahihita sa Jones Cup ng Pilipinas kung wala namang pinaghahandaang international tournament.

Ayon nga kay SBP executive director Gregorio, ‘yung Australia at Japan, ‘yung ipinadadala youth team kaya siguro dapat ang RP youth natin ang gamitin sa Jones Cup para tumibay.

Well, Mr. Gregorio sama ako ng piso dyan!*

full battle gear
06-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Pro-reinforced Harbour eyed for Jones Cup stint

Wednesday, June 4, 2008
www.philstar.com

Harbour Centre team owner Mikee Romero remains hopeful that his team, winner of five straight titles in the PBL, will be tapped to represent the country in the 30th Jones Cup next month. Romero said his squad is more than willing to don the RP colors once more, the same way it did in winning the gold medal in the 2007 SEABA in Jakarta and the 2007 SEA Games in Thailand.

In yesterday’s PSA Forum at Shakey’s along UN Avenue, Romero reacted to reports that Jones Cup organizers want a PBA team, and nothing less, to represent the Philippine in the Taiwan meet.

“Maybe they want a PBA team because it can bring in the crowd and the Filipinos in Taiwan. But I think our national team is equally entertaining and popular and equally great as PBA teams,” he said.

Romero said he has talked to Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director Pato Gregorio about their willingness to field a team that can be reinforced by a few players from the PBA.

“We’re still awaiting confirmation from the SBP which deals with the Jones Cup organizers. Maybe we can get the confirmation within the week,” said Romero. Also gracing the forum were Harbour Centre key players Jason Castro, the reigning MVP in the PBL, and Solomon Mercado, and team officials Erick Arejola and Albert Tirona. In case they are called in, Harbour Centre will tap Junel Baculi as head coach. Gregorio, according to Romero, said Harbour Centre can probably pick four or five PBA players from the three teams that will be eliminated in the ongoing PBA Fiesta Conference. To ensure that the Harbour Centre team will be equally strong and equally entertaining, Romero said they’re planning to tap the services of Japeth Aguilar, Gabe Norwood and Rob Reyes who are all in the US.

The 6-foot-9 Aguilar, son of former PBA player Peter Aguilar, saw action for the Western Kentucky University in the US NCAA Division 1 last year and can surely provide the ceiling for the team.

Norwood, of Hapee Toothpaste, is the sensational Fil-American who helped the country win the gold in the SEA Games while Reyes saw action for Harbour Centre last year.

Romero said Castro, who is bound for Australia to play for the Singapore Slingers in the National Basketball League, has agreed to play one more time for the national team.

“Technically he’s already with the Slingers but before I let him go I told them that Jason still needs to play one more tournament with the national team,” said Romero.

full battle gear
06-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Harbour-RP dribblers’ Jones Cup stint still hangs

By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 04:28:00 06/04/2008

MANILA, Philippines—A Harbour-Philippine team reinforced by a mix of young and seasoned talents hopes to represent the country in the 30th William Jones Cup in Taiwan on July 10 to 18.

But the squad still needs to get the approval of tournament organizers, who are expected to announce their decision within the week.

“They want a PBA team because it will bring in the Filipino crowd in Taiwan,” explained Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero in Tuesday’s PSA Forum at Shakey’s UN Avenue branch.

“But we think that our national team is equally entertaining and popular, and equally great as the PBA teams.”

An RP team under coach Chot Reyes that was then training for the Olympic qualifier in Japan saw action in the Jones Cup last year. The PBA All-Star squad drew the huge OFW community in all its games, and organizers were naturally hoping for the same Filipino support this time.

Among the players eyed to boost the all-amateur national squad are 6-foot-9 Japeth Aguilar—the former Ateneo de Manila University center recruited by a US NCAA Division 1 squad, Fil-Am Rob Reyes and at least four PBA players.

“We’ll invite Japeth, we’ll contact him,” said Romero.

Jason Castro, the three-time Philippine Basketball League Most Valuable Player, is expected to spearhead the squad before suiting up for the Singapore Slingers in Australia’s National Basketball League.

“Technically, he’s already committed to the Slingers, but we asked him if he could play one more tournament for the national team,” Romero told the forum sponsored by Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor), Shakey’s, Accel, Brickroad gym and Aspen Spa and MedCentral Medical Clinics and Diagnostic Center.

Aguilar moved to Western Kentucky University following his Final Four stint with the Blue Eagles in the 2005 UAAP.

The 6-foot-5 Reyes, who suited up for the Batang Pier last year, is expected to rejoin his old team.

Four to five PBA players will also be tapped to beef up the nationals.

“We’ll get players from the three teams that will be eliminated early in the PBA,” said Romero, who graced the forum along with Castro and Batang Pier teammate Solomon Mercado, team manager Erick Arejola and official Albert Tirona.

The squad will also try to tap anew Hapee’s Fil-Am sensation Gabe Norwood, who helped power the Harbour-Philippine Team that captured the gold in the 2007 Southeast Asian Games.

Joescoundrel
06-07-2008, 09:58 AM
I'd retain the perimeter players of Harbour Centre and then tap the pros and expatriates for the frontline.

Perimeter: TY T-ang, Jason Castro, Sol Mercado, Jon Fernandez, Jeff Chan

Frontline: Gian Chiu, Japeth Aguilar, Rob Reyes, Enrico Villanueva, Arwind Santos

Reserves: Al Vergara, Edwin Asoro

The_Big_Cat
06-07-2008, 10:25 AM
It was also said that players from PBA teams that will be eliminated first in the ongoing Fiesta Conference will be allowed to beef up the Harbour squad for the 2008 Jones Cup.

As for the current PBA standings, Welcoat is at the bottom. So, we might see Joe DeVance and Jay-R Reyes in the Jones Cup.

amdgc82
06-09-2008, 06:36 AM
RP Men’s starts training despite…
By Joel Orellana
Reporter

Philippine participation in the Jones Cup in Taiwan in July remained in limbo over the weekend, but Junel Baculi, who was tasked to coach the Harbour Centre-backed team, would start putting the national squad together this week.

Jones Cup organizers have given a condition on the Philippines that unless a team of Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) players is sent to the annual tournament, the country will not be invited this year. The reason for this, local basketball leaders surmised, borders around marketing and ticket sales because of the thousands of Filipino overseas workers in Taiwan who would potentially watch the games in droves.

“As of now, wala pa kaming balita kung tuloy o hindi. Pero we will start our practice [next] week para ready naman ang team kung ano man ang mangyari,” Baculi said Sunday.

“Anyway, given the time and preparation given to us, and the kind of lineup we have, our goal there is to compete and gauge ’yung Asian rivals na din na puwede nating makalaban sa Asian Games sa 2010,” he added.

The BusinessMirror could not reach Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director Patrick Gregorio, who has been dealing with the Jones Cup organizers.

The delay has put Filipino-American Rob Reyes’s return to the country on hold. He was set to fly back on June 5 based on earlier arrangements of the coaching staff and the management led by team owner Mikee Romero and team manager Erick Arejola.

The PBA has also virtually dismissed the possibility of sending a team or a selection to the Jones Cup because of a conflict in schedule with the ongoing Fiesta Cup.

The core of the five-peat champion Batang Pier, led by three-time Most Valuable Player Jason Castro, Beau Belga, Jonathan Fernandez, Solomon Mercado, Chad Alonzo and Jeff Chan, will make up the squad, according to Baculi. Gabe Norwood and six-foot-nine Japeth Aguilar are possibly additions to the team.

The Jones Cup is set from July 10 to 18. Jordan is the defending champion.

pachador
06-09-2008, 12:52 PM
The taiwanese must be joking? is it our obligation that a PBA must be sent so the Taipei stadium will be filled up with OFWs? hahaha

RP Men’s starts training despite…
By Joel Orellana
Reporter

Philippine participation in the Jones Cup in Taiwan in July remained in limbo over the weekend, but Junel Baculi, who was tasked to coach the Harbour Centre-backed team, would start putting the national squad together this week.

Jones Cup organizers have given a condition on the Philippines that unless a team of Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) players is sent to the annual tournament, the country will not be invited this year. The reason for this, local basketball leaders surmised, borders around marketing and ticket sales because of the thousands of Filipino overseas workers in Taiwan who would potentially watch the games in droves.

CrossOver
06-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Kalokohan kung ganyan pananaw ng mga intsek na yan wag na magpadala ng RP team! ::)

amdgc82
06-10-2008, 12:48 PM
RP 5 to get reinforcements
By Ronnie Nathanielsz
www.manilastandardtoday.com

WESTERN Kentucky University center Japeth Aguilar and Dustin Coloso, who played with distinction for Kean University in the New Jersey Athletic Conference years ago, are eager to suit up for the Harbour Centre team that will represent the Philippines in this year’s Jones Cup in Taipei.

Abe King, chairman of the Philippine Basketball Association Legends’ USA Foundation, told Viva Sports/Standard Today that Aguilar, the 6’10” son of former PBA player Peter Aguilar, is available but his coach was checking with the US National Collegiate Athletic Association on the rules and regulations.

King said Aguilar, who moves well for a big man, and Coloso, who is a talented shooting guard, were being eyed by Mikee Romero of the multi-titled Harbour Centre squad. Coloso is the son of former PBA player Tim Coloso.

Aguilar played just three games in the 2007-2008 season for the WKU Hilltoppers, scoring a total of 8 points, pulling down 10 rebounds, issuing three assists, pulling off three steals and blocking four shots.

There were unconfirmed reports that he saw little action because of an injury.

King said the 27-year-old, 6’3” Coloso would be “an asset to any team” and besides being a good shooter he can also defend taller and heftier opponents.

“I truly believe he [Dustin] deserves to play in the PBA. This kid made it the hard way with no padrinos. All he had was the determination to make it to the US NCAA,” said King.

JonarSabilano
06-10-2008, 12:51 PM
RP 5 to get reinforcements
By Ronnie Nathanielsz
www.manilastandardtoday.com

WESTERN Kentucky University center Japeth Aguilar and Dustin Coloso, who played with distinction for Kean University in the New Jersey Athletic Conference years ago, are eager to suit up for the Harbour Centre team that will represent the Philippines in this year’s Jones Cup in Taipei.

Abe King, chairman of the Philippine Basketball Association Legends’ USA Foundation, told Viva Sports/Standard Today that Aguilar, the 6’10” son of former PBA player Peter Aguilar, is available but his coach was checking with the US National Collegiate Athletic Association on the rules and regulations.

King said Aguilar, who moves well for a big man, and Coloso, who is a talented shooting guard, were being eyed by Mikee Romero of the multi-titled Harbour Centre squad. Coloso is the son of former PBA player Tim Coloso.

Aguilar played just three games in the 2007-2008 season for the WKU Hilltoppers, scoring a total of 8 points, pulling down 10 rebounds, issuing three assists, pulling off three steals and blocking four shots.

There were unconfirmed reports that he saw little action because of an injury.

King said the 27-year-old, 6’3” Coloso would be “an asset to any team” and besides being a good shooter he can also defend taller and heftier opponents.

“I truly believe he [Dustin] deserves to play in the PBA. This kid made it the hard way with no padrinos. All he had was the determination to make it to the US NCAA,” said King.

Natawa naman ako rito. Mismong mga WKU insider na ang nagsasabing na-injure si Aguilar.

al3x888
06-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I am guessing that Iran will play in the 2008 Jones Cup. It will be a good tune-up tournament for them before going to the Beijing Olympics in August..

I would like to see how the 6'10" Gian Chiu and 6'9" Japeth Aguilar (if they will be available) play against the taller Iranians especially the 7'1" Hedadi.

I think a roster with Gabe Norwood,Gian Chiu and Japeth Aguilar would draw a lot of Filipino crowd.I'm not sure if they will win it all the way though

amdgc82
06-11-2008, 06:34 AM
No more Jones Cup stint for RP?
By Joel Orellana
Reporter
THERE’S now a strong indication that the Philippines might skip the Jones Cup in Taiwan.

The Basketball Association of the Philippines-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (BAP-SBP) gave organizers of the annual invitational basketball tournament up to today to announce whether they would accept a Philippine team that will not be composed of players from the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).

Outgoing BAP-SBP executive director Patrick Gregorio said that up to this point, the federation is still waiting for an official response from the Chinese-Taipei Basketball Association (CTBA) in their proposal to send a team built around the core of the Harbour Centre squad.

“Hindi maka-decide ang Taiwan organizers. I told them to let us know at the latest Wednesday [today] because we need to train,” said Gregorio. “If not, we may skip the tournament.”

Harbour Centre, the multititled squad in the Philippine Basketball League (PBL), has been tapped to form and train the squad for the July 10 to 18 tournament.

Head coach Junel Baculi has arranged the team’s first practice tomorrow from 4 to 6 p.m. at Reyes Gym despite the fact that the trip remains in the balance.

An insider told the BusinessMirror that BAP-SBP would still want the Harbour Centre-backed squad, minus main man Jason Castro, to continue the training not for the Jones Cup but for the Brunei Cup in August.

Castro, the three-time Most Valuable Player in the PBL, is committed only to play for the Taiwan joust because he is about to join his teammates in the Singapore Slingers for the upcoming season of the National Basketball League in Australia.

The CTBA wants PBA players to represent the country in the Jones Cup to draw a big crowd of Filipinos working there.

But PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios has already turned down the idea because of a conflict in schedule with the ongoing Fiesta Cup.

Gregorio proposed to the CTBA a Philippine team that will be beefed up by at least four players from PBA teams which will be eliminated early in the reinforced tournament.

But it seemed that the Jones Cup organizers are still studying the proposal as the tournament’s official web site has yet to show the final list of participating teams, as well as the schedule.

The BAP-SBP could decide unilaterally on the issue when it holds its national congress and election of officers tomorrow at the Dusit Hotel.

amdgc82
06-11-2008, 06:41 AM
RP Jones stint fades
www.malaya.com.ph

IT seems the country will no longer join the 30th William Jones Cup in Taipei.

A BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas insider yesterday revealed that all communiques sent by outgoing SBP executive director Patrick Gregorio remained unanswered by the Jones Cup's organizers.

This year's edition of the Jones Cup starts on July 10 in at Sinjhuang Stadium, Taipei.

San Miguel-Philippine teams won the Jones Cup in 1981 and 1985 while the Tim Cone-coached Centennial Team pulled off the trick in 1998.

Such deafening silence from the Taiwanese has forced the BAP-SBP to abandon any hope of joining the tournament for good, although they actually have until today to confirm whether the Philippines is in or not.

Even Gregorio, who is expected to be replaced by former PBA commissioner Noli Eala when the national cage body holds its first national congress tomorrow at the Dusit Hotel, admitted nobody from the organizers have entertained his appeals, which were said to have been sent "several times."

Gregorio also said they will not wait for another week because the team also has to train as soon as possible. And if there is no solid answer until today, he said he will formally kiss the tournament goodbye and make an announcement to that effect today.

"Let's give the Jones Cup organizers until tomorrow (today) to come up with a decision," Gregorio said. "There's no feedback as of 2 p.m. (yesterday). If ever nothing happens, we will let it go. We can't wait for them to decide because we also need to train the team."

Five-time PBL champion Harbour Centre would have been the country's representative in the Jones Cup, but its organizers refused and, instead, asked Gregorio to assemble an all-professional squad that will draw a good-sized Filipino crowd to the commercial tournament.

The organizers' wish is deemed impossible since the PBA has already made a statement professing its desire not to join any international tournament this year to avoid disrupting its calendar.

Gregorio said he told organizers a highly-competitive amateur squad powered by four to six PBA players will be sent, but to no avail.

The source said Harbour Centre has already lost interest in joining the tournament. In fact, it has yet to hold any serious practice or scrimmage with time running out, stressing it is still waiting for a solid confirmation from the organizers through Gregorio.

Earlier, the PBA barred All-Filipino Cup champion Sta. Lucia Realty from joining the FIBA-Asia Champions Cup in the United Arab Emirates, citing the pro league has no commitment to send a team since the memorandum of understanding inked between the league and SBP has already expired.

The Jones Cup could have been a perfect prelude for Harbour Centre in the Asian Games. Its owner, Mikee Romero, earlier said if ever given a chance, they will send the nucleus of the squad together with lanky 6-foot-9 Japhet Aguilar, high-flying Filipino-American Gabe Norwood, 6-foot-5 banger Rob Reyes and at least six established PBA stars whose teams will be eliminated in the ongoing PBA Fiesta Conference.

amdgc82
06-11-2008, 06:47 AM
‘NO PROS, NO PLAY’
No more RP squad in Jones Cup roster
By Julius Manicad
06/11/2008

Everything seems to be too late for the Philippines’ appeal to send a champion amateur squad to the 30th William Jones Cup basketball tournament in Taiwan next month, but BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) executive director Patrick “Pato” Gregorio remains hopeful he could convince the Chinese-Taipei organizers to accept his offer.

He has until today to hear from them, though.

Gregorio’s repeated communications were not answered by the Jones Cup organizers, and Harbour Centre, which recently won a fifth straight championship in the Philippine Basketball League, is no longer keen on forcing its team to join the invitational tournament.

Gregorio is also expected to announce today the Philippines’ withdrawal from the Jones Cup, which was organized by the Chinese-Taipei Basketball Association independent from the Fiba (International Basketball Federation). The tournament has grown into a big event with a large following and has since been one of the most awaited tournaments outside of the Fiba-sanctioned events.

Jones Cup organizers wanted a squad made up of players from the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), mainly due to their drawing power among Filipino fans, especially overseas workers.

But the PBA withdrew from its previous commitment to send squads in select tournaments, leaving the BAP-SBP with no choice but to request Harbour Center to represent the country in the Jones Cup.

Organizers, however, balked at the idea and told Gregorio they wanted no less than a full complement of professionals playing in their tournament.

That’s when the issuer escalated into a problem, leaving Gregorio scampering for a solution, and with just one day left before he resigns his post and the BAP-SBP holds its elections on Thursday. Or it would have been another botched job for him.

D_I_A
06-11-2008, 11:20 AM
‘NO PROS, NO PLAY’
No more RP squad in Jones Cup roster
By Julius Manicad
06/11/2008

Everything seems to be too late for the Philippines’ appeal to send a champion amateur squad to the 30th William Jones Cup basketball tournament in Taiwan next month, but BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) executive director Patrick “Pato” Gregorio remains hopeful he could convince the Chinese-Taipei organizers to accept his offer.

He has until today to hear from them, though.

Gregorio’s repeated communications were not answered by the Jones Cup organizers, and Harbour Centre, which recently won a fifth straight championship in the Philippine Basketball League, is no longer keen on forcing its team to join the invitational tournament.

Gregorio is also expected to announce today the Philippines’ withdrawal from the Jones Cup, which was organized by the Chinese-Taipei Basketball Association independent from the Fiba (International Basketball Federation). The tournament has grown into a big event with a large following and has since been one of the most awaited tournaments outside of the Fiba-sanctioned events.

Jones Cup organizers wanted a squad made up of players from the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA), mainly due to their drawing power among Filipino fans, especially overseas workers.

But the PBA withdrew from its previous commitment to send squads in select tournaments, leaving the BAP-SBP with no choice but to request Harbour Center to represent the country in the Jones Cup.

Organizers, however, balked at the idea and told Gregorio they wanted no less than a full complement of professionals playing in their tournament.

That’s when the issuer escalated into a problem, leaving Gregorio scampering for a solution, and with just one day left before he resigns his post and the BAP-SBP holds its elections on Thursday. Or it would have been another botched job for him.

akala naman ng mga Taiwanese na ito eh sobrang lupit ng liga nila na kailangan bigyang ng importansya..basta may laro ang Pinoy may manunuod at manunuod diyan na mga Pinoy.

CrossOver
06-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Mga bwisit sila eh hindi huwag sino bang mawawalan ng audience? Anu sila hari kelangan masunod ang gusto? pweh like sa sinabi ko ng una huwag ng magpadala ng RP Team! ;D

Jomar09
06-11-2008, 11:39 AM
if that's the case, why don,t we put up our own international tournament just like the jones and stancovic cup..
just a suggestion

The_Big_Cat
06-11-2008, 12:38 PM
^Next year na lang. By then we already have our Team Pilipinas set up for the 2009 FIBA Asia Championships.

OT: Last year after the Jones Cup, we had the 1st SMART MANILA INVITATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Syria, China Team B, Lebanon and the Phiippines as the participants last year.

pachador
06-11-2008, 12:53 PM
haha naging obligasyon ng philippines ngayon na pupunuin ng filipino fans ang stadium sa Taipei??* Its possible that the taiwanese are delaying the announcement para hindi maka-train ng maigi ang philippine team. puro kalokokohan
* :D* * :D

Kid Cubao
06-11-2008, 03:03 PM
^^ it's just one of the many ways they'l screw team philippines. style na bulok yan, sinong niloloko ng mga bata ni graham lim?

amdgc82
06-12-2008, 07:02 AM
Jones Cup accepts Harbour but …
www.mb.com.ph

The organizing committee of the Jones Cup approved the request of the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas to have five-time PBL champion Harbour Centre as the country’s representative in the annual tournament slated next month in Taiwan.

But organizers set two conditions that caught Harbour Centre officials by surprise.

In a letter emailed to the SBP office, the Jones Cup organizing committee said they will accept Harour Centre in the tournament if it will be assured that the team will not engage in any physical encounters with other teams after noting that previous Philippine teams "had fights against other teams".

The other condition was that Harbour must pay for the air fare of its team members and officials. Organizers will only be responsible for board and lodging plus local transportation of 17 persons.

The conditions were set after the PBA turned down the invitation play in the Jones Cup as requested by organizers.

In the past, when PBA teams played in the tournament, organizers paid for everything – air, fare, hotel, food and transport.

Harbour team owner Mikee Romero could not be reached for comment but team manager Erick Arejola said the conditions set by Jones Cup officials don’t look good.

"You can’t control the emotion of the players once they are on the court, what if there will be a fight. I still have to talk with Mr. Romero and coach Junel (Baculi) about it before coming up with a decision," said Arejola.

He said he also could not understand why the team has to pay the air fare when this was not the practice in the past. — Rey LACHICA

Schortsanitis
06-12-2008, 08:23 AM
The Jones Cup conditions set by the organizers is an INSULT to our national teams.

If they don't want us, so be it. At the same time, we should start thinking of not sending ANY of our National Teams to that tournament from now on.

The_Big_Cat
06-12-2008, 09:09 AM
The conditions are really awful. The Philippines should skip this year's Jones Cup.
Gastos lang ang aabutin ni Romero dyan.

GHRanger
06-12-2008, 10:33 AM
I didn't see this coming! I agree, parang iniinsulto tayo -- if they provide airfare and transport to all the teams except us then that's hitting way below the belt. Pato should give a stern response to these conditions.
IMHO, let's give this a miss, this and next and next.

Kid Cubao
06-12-2008, 10:45 AM
in a way, the jones cup organizers made it easier for us to arrive at a unanimous decision to just skip this event. hindi naman malaking kawalan kung di na tayo sumali sa tournament na ito. marami pang mga FIBA-sanctioned international tournaments sa asya at sa labas ng asya.

pachador
06-12-2008, 12:25 PM
if airfare is free for other teams but not our team then why go? the answer is obvious. its a no-bearing tournament for practice only so its no big deal.

D_I_A
06-12-2008, 01:18 PM
if airfare is free for other teams but not our team then why go? the answer is obvious. its a no-bearing tournament for practice only so its no big deal.

malamang sa atin lang inapply ang set up na ito, mga kurimaw talaga itong mga taiwanese na ito, palibhasa tinalo at napahiya sila sa atin sa jones cup..

tayo pa daw ang palaaway ha? eh sila nga ang dahilan ng away eh..

magsama sama sila nila Pichay, Villafuerte at Graham Lim!!!

Down with the BAP!!!

pachador
06-12-2008, 01:23 PM
the organizers only have money to pay air fares of other teams but the organizers cannot pay for airfare of philippine team? hahaha if thats true then forget jones cup the practice tournament. baka mapilay pa si japeth doon.

Repeat after me three times:

jones cup is a practice tournament
jones cup the practice tournament
:D* :D* :D

D_I_A
06-12-2008, 01:26 PM
the organizers only have money to pay air fares of other teams but the organizers cannot pay for airfare of philippine team? hahaha if thats true then forget jones cup the practice tournament. baka mapilay pa si japeth doon.

Repeat after me three times:

jones cup the practice tournament
:D :D :D

pwede naman daw kasi mamangka from Basco Batanes papunta dun sa venue nila and vice versa kaya di na raw nila sagot ang airfare!!!lol! ;D

dapat sa Taiwan sakupin na ng China Mainland tingnan natin kung may ibubuga ang mga ito sa mga Mainland Counterparts nila...

akala naman nila eh sobrang gagaling ng players nila eh dinadaan lang sa yabang dahil homecourt nila!PWE!!! >:( >:( >:(

nastrans
06-13-2008, 01:04 PM
So the Taiwan organizers seem like to have not moved on to that 1999 brawl with the Taiwan national squad, so they give the condition that we have to pay the airfare for the event because we will not send an all-pro squad?

Kung ganyan din lang, wag na lang tayo magpadala.

erichubert
06-13-2008, 02:08 PM
It is really ironic that it is Taiwan, a country where hooliganism exists even in their congress, that would impose such a condition. Boycott the event, not only this year, but next year and the year after that. We should show them that we would not allow ourselves to be insulted. Its an exhibition tournament, without any bearing anyway.

Schortsanitis
06-13-2008, 03:07 PM
'Oo nga, ano? Notorios ang Taiwan for their Assembly fist fights, and here are they are admonishing us about "hooliganism" kuno (shakes head).'

sa_pula
06-13-2008, 07:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg-0QH95HSw

1999 brawl starring joey mente ;D

amdgc82
06-14-2008, 07:58 AM
June 14, 2008 02:07 PM Saturday
Galit si Mikee*
Batang Pier 'di na lalaro sa Jones Cup
www.journal.com.ph

SA pagpapakita ng pag-kadismaya sa mga kon-disyong ibinigay ng mga organizers, hindi na isasabak ni Harbour Cen-tre owner Mikee Romero ang kanyang koponan sa 30th Jones Cup na gaga-napin sa Taipei sa susu-nod na buwan.
Nainis si Romero sa mga kondisyong ipinataw ng mga organizers, isa na rito ay* hindi dapat masangkot sa anumang gulo ang Harbour Centre-RP team kontra sa iba pang koponan sa torneo.
“Keep discipline as it happened before that your team (RP) had fight against other teams,” nakasaad sa sulat ng mga Jones Cup organizers sa BAP-Sa-mahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas.
Ngunit hindi tinukoy ng mga organizers kung anong koponan ang ipinadala ng Pilipinas at ang taon kung saan lumikha ng kontrobersiya ang national team sa taunang torneo.
“What if they will try to maim my players, what will we* do? We’ll just stand and say that’s OK. They should remember that we, Filipinos, helped popularize basketball in the Asian region. We know our basketball,” wika ni Romero.
Suportado ni PBL commissioner Chino Trinidad ang aksiyon ni Romero na huwag nang pasalihin ang five-time PBL champions sa Jones Cup.
“Tama lang ang ginawa ng Harbour Centre, lokohan na kasi `yung ginagawa ng (Jones Cup) organizers,” pahayag ni Trinidad mula sa Los Angeles.
Nais ni Romero na sumabak ang Batang Pier sa naturang torneo upang masubukan ang kakayahan ng koponan sa Asian level matapos ang kanilang matagumpay na kampanya sa Southeast Asia.
“Before, we’re really interested in playing in the Jones Cup because we want to know and test the level of competitiveness of the tournament but I was shocked to learn the other day that they (Jones Cup organizers) set two conditions for us to play in their tournament,” ayon pa kay Romero.
“It’s an insult to our organization, much more to our national team, so I’m backing out. It’s their prerogative as hosts to impose conditions but just because we’re an amateur club they will treat us that way, I think it’s not fair.”
“It’s very disadvantageous to any RP team,” aniya.
Ang isa pang kondisyong ibinigay ng Harbour Centre ay sila ang gagastos sa air fare ng kanilang entourage, na hindi normal na ginagawa ng mga organizers.
“I’m willing to pay for the air fare of the team but do I have to do it just to play with them?. If we’re not welcome to their tournament, then sabihin lang nila,” sabi ni Romero.
Sa mga nakalipas na taon, sagot ng Jones Cup organizers ang lahat ng gastusin ng mga kasali, kabilang na ang air fare, board and lodging at local transportation.
Sa katunayan, nang sumali ang PBA-backed Philippine team noong nakaraang taon ay walang ginastos ang liga sa kanilang pagsabak sa torneo.
“They (Jones Cup organizers) paid for our air fare, board and lodging and even our transportation there,” sambit ni PBA Media Bureau chief Willy Marcial.
“I don’t know why they changed their practice this time,” aniya.
Kung hindi sa naturang mga kondsiyon, sinabi ni Romero na palalakasin ang Harbour Centre-RP sa pamamagitan ng paghugot ng apat na pro pla-yers, kasama si Japeth Aguilar, na naglaro sa US NCAA.
“With a combined mix of top amateur and PBA players, I think we can perform decently in the tournament. Even Jason (Castro) has signified his intention to play for the RP team before playing for the Singapore Slingers,” wika ni Romero.
Sa pag-asang makaakit ng maraming Filipino workers sa kasagsagan ng torneo, nais ng Jones Cup organizers na imbitahin ang isang PBA team, ngunit tumanggi ang pro league dahil sa tumatakbong season-ending tournament.*Theodore P. Jurado

amdgc82
06-14-2008, 08:13 AM
No Jones Cup stint for Harbour
www.malaya.com.ph

PIQUED by the conditions imposed by organizers, Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero yesterday said the Batang Pier will no longer play in the Jones Cup in Taiwan next month.

"We were really interested in playing in the Jones Cup because we wanted to test the level of competitiveness of the tournament. But the conditions set forth by the organizers are unfair. It's an insult to our organization," said Romero.

In a communiqué to the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas last week, Jones Cup organizers said they would allow Harbour Centre to play in the tourney but warned the team not to engage in fights with other squads.

Aside from this, organizers of the cagefest wanted Harbour Centre to pay for the airfare of the team. Last year, when the all-pro team saw action in the tourney, Jones Cup organizers paid for the airfare, board and lodging and local transportation of the squad.

"What if they try to maim our players, what will we do? Will we just stand there and say that's okay? They should remember that we, Filipinos, helped popularize basketball in Asia. We know our basketball," said Romero, adding he was willing to pay for the airfare of the team.

"If we're not welcome to their tournament, sabihin lang nila," Romero.

"They (Jones Cup organizers) paid for our airfare, board and lodging and even our transportation there," said PBA Media Bureau chief Willy Marcial, referring to the Jones Cup stint of the all-pro team last year.

If not for those conditions, Romero said he intended to reinforce the team with at least four PBA players and US NCAA mainstay Japeth Aguilar.

"With a mix of top amateur and PBA players, I think we can perform decently in the tournament. Even Jason (Castro) has signified his intention to play for the RP team before playing for the Singapore Slingers," said Romero.

Hoping to draw a large number of Filipino workers during the tournament, organizers initially invited a PBA team but their request was turned down because of the pro league's ongoing Fiesta tournament.

amdgc82
06-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Feeling insulted, Harbour will not play in Jones Cup
www.mb.com.ph

Five-time champion Harbour Centre has cancelled its participation in the Jones Cup next month in Taiwan after organizers imposed conditions which it finds insulting and unacceptable.

One such condition is that Harbour should not engage other teams to a fight.

"Such condition is an insult, to say the least. Harbour plays basketball and does not condone violence," Harbour team owner Mikee Romero said yesterday.

Another condition is that Harbour should pay for its own air fare, a departure from previous practice where Filipino teams were given all-expense paid trips.

"I’m willing to pay for the airfare of the team but do I have to do it just to play with them? If we’re not welcome to their tournament, then sabihin lang nila," said Romero.

Romero’s outburst came after learning that organizers wrote the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) reminding Harbour to steer clear of trouble.

"Keep discipline as it happened before that your team (RP) had fight against other teams," wrote organizers.

Jones Cup organizers, however, did not specify which team was involved in previous court violence.

"Before, we’re really interested in playing in the Jones Cup because we want to know and test the level of competitiveness of the tournament but I was shocked to learn the other day that they (Jones Cup organizers) set two conditions for us to play in their tournament," said Romero. "It’s an insult to our organization, much more to our national team, so I’m backing out."

"It’s their prerogative as hosts to impose conditions but just because we’re an amateur club they will treat us that way, I think it’s not fair," said Romero. "It’s very disadvantageous to any RP team."

Jones Cup organizers had initially wanted to bring in a PBA team to draw a big Filipino crowd to the event, but the pro league denied the request because it runs in conflict with its tournament.

If organizers were looking for entertainment, Romero said Harbour can easily provide it.

"If that’s what they want, we can give them entertainment because our players are capable of providing it. We did it during our stint in Singapore where thousands showed up to support us," said Romero, referring to the national teams buildup for the Southeast Asian Games last year in Thailand last year.

Aside from beating the taller Slingers, Harbour-RP team went on to win the SEA Games gold medal to highlight a glorious year for the team. It also won the SEABA crown early last year before capping its dominance with a stunning come-from-behind win over Hapee Toothpaste in the PBL Invitational tournament.

amdgc82
06-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Harbour Centre won’t play in Jones Cup
http://manilatimes.net

HARBOUR CENTRE owner Mikee Romero announced Friday that his team won’t play in the Jones Cup next month due to the conditions imposed by tournament organizers.

One of the conditions stated that members of the Harbour Centre-RP team should not engage other team in a fight.

“Keep discipline as it happened before that your team [RP] had fight against other teams,” the Jones Cup organizers said in their letter emailed to Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas.

Romero had earlier expressed his interest to send Harbour Centre to the Jones Cup to test the tournament’s level of competitiveness.

“It’s an insult to our organization, much more to our national team, so I’m backing out.”

“It’s their prerogative as hosts to impose conditions but just because we’re an amateur club they will treat us that way, I think it’s not fair,” said Romero. “It’s very disadvantageous to any RP team.”

The other condition is that Harbour Centre will pay the airfare of its 17-member delegation which is the normal practice of the organizers.

“I’m willing to pay for the airfare of the team but do I have to do it just to play with them? If we’re not welcome to their tournament, then sabihin lang nila,” said Romero.

amdgc82
06-14-2008, 08:37 AM
CONDITIONS DO NOT RESPECT RP TEAM
Harbour Centre won’t play in Jones anymore
06/14/2008

Feeling slighted with the conditions imposed by Jones Cup organizers, Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero yesterday announced he will no longer send his five-time PBL champion team to play in the Taiwan tournament next month.

“Before, we’re really interested in playing in the Jones Cup because we want to know and test the level of competitiveness of the tournament but I was shocked to learn the other day that they (Jones Cup organizers) set two conditions for us to play in their tournament,” said Romero. “It’s an insult to our organization, much more to our national team, so I’m backing out.”

“It’s their prerogative as hosts to impose conditions but just because we’re an amateur club it’s not fair to treat us that way,” said Romero. “It’s very disadvantageous to any RP team.”

What piqued Romero the most was the condition which stated members of the Harbour Centre-RP team should not engage other teams in a fight.

“Keep discipline as it happened before that your team (RP) had fight against other teams (sic),” the Jones Cup organizer said in a letter e-mailed to Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas.

But the organizers failed to specify the team and year when an RP team got involved in a controversy in the annual tournament.

“What if they will try to maim my players, what we will do? We’ll just stand and say that’s OK. They should remember that we, Filipinos, helped popularize basketball in the Asian region. We know our basketball,” said Romero.

The other condition required Harbour Centre to pay for the airfare of the entourage which is not the normal practice of the tournament. But they said they will take care of the board and lodging and local transportation of the 17 members of the team.

“I’m willing to pay for the airfare of the team but do I have to do it just to play with them? If we’re not welcome in their tournament, then sabihin lang nila,” said Romero.

In the past, including last year when the PBA-backed Philippine team competed in the tournament, the organizers paid for everything — airfare, board and lodging and local transportation.

“They (Jones Cup organizers) paid for our airfare, board and lodging and even our transportation there,” said PBA Media Bureau chief Willy Marcial. “I don’t know why they changed their practice this time.”

If not for those conditions, Romero was willing to reinforce the team with at least four PBA players and US NCAA veteran Japeth Aguilar.

“With a mix of top amateur and PBA players, I think we can perform decently in the tournament. Even Jason (Castro) has signified his intention to play for the RP team before playing for the Singapore Slingers,” said Romero.

In the hope of drawing a large number of Filipino workers, organizers have wanted to invite a PBA team. Their request was turned down by the pro league.

Schortsanitis
06-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Much as I would've wanted to see Japeth Aguilar play, Mikee Romero did the right thing.

Now, any other foreign tournament out there this year we could possibly join, just so we could see Japeth Aguilar play?

full battle gear
06-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Jones Cup: ‘Insult’ turns off RP squad

By Cedelf P. Tupas
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 22:57:00 06/13/2008

BRANDING THE CONDITIONS SET BY organizers as “insulting and unfair,” a Philippine team beefed up by mainstays of five-time PBL champion Harbour Centre yesterday declared its withdrawal from the Jones Cup in Taiwan next month.

Harbour Centre owner Mikee Romero took offense on the stipulations that his team should not engage in a fight with other teams and would have to spend for their own airfare to Taipei for the tournament.

“We feel we’re not welcome,” said Romero, who wanted to test the competitiveness of his squad by joining the Taiwan tournament. “It’s an insult to our organization, much more to our national team, so I’m backing out.”

Noli Eala, the newly appointed executive director of the BAP-Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas Inc., believes the pullout is just a “short-term loss” for Philippine basketball.

Although it is the prerogative of organizers to set conditions, Romero said “it is unfair that Harbour was being treated this way just because we are an amateur team.”

Without specifying any incident, the Jones Cup organizers—who had earlier pushed for the entry of a PBA team to represent the country—wrote the BAP-SBP that it should “keep discipline, as it happened before that your team had fight against other teams.”

Then defending champion Philippines, represented by the Iloilo Megavoltz of the now-defunct Metropolitan Basketball Association, were involved in a bench-clearing brawl against host Taiwan in the 1999 tournament. The team forfeited its last elimination-round match in the aftermath of the brawl.

But Romero said: “What if they try to maim my players, what will we do? We’ll just stand and say that’s okay. We know our basketball.

“I’m willing to pay for the airfare of the team, but do I have to do it just to play with them,” said Romero, who had earlier said he is bolstering his line-up with at least four PBA players and US NCAA campaigner Japeth Aguilar, formerly of the Ateneo Blue Eagles.

“With a mix of top amateur and PBA players, I think we can perform decently in the tournament,” said Romero, whose team captured the gold medal in the Southeast Asian Games in Thailand late last year.

He said Jason Castro even promised to play for the RP team before suiting up with the Singapore Slingers, his new team in Australia.

“If that’s what they want, we can give them entertainment because our players are capable of providing it,” said Romero. “We did it during our stint in Singapore where thousands showed up to support us.”

Bruticus
06-14-2008, 01:36 PM
Bakit parang pinapalabas nila na sa RP team nagsisimula ang gulo? Was it because of what happened in '99? As far as I know binatukan si Joey Mente noon and yung Taiwan mismo ang nag-umpisa ng gulo. Oh well.

The_Big_Cat
06-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Bakit parang pinapalabas nila na sa RP team nagsisimula ang gulo? Was it because of what happened in '99? As far as I know binatukan si Joey Mente noon and yung Taiwan mismo ang nag-umpisa ng gulo. Oh well.

Joey Mente gave a cheap shot to the Taiwanese center that was never seen by the referees. In the ensuing play, the Taiwanese center gave a forearm to Mente's backhead and mayhem followed.

AnthonyServinio
06-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Bakit parang pinapalabas nila na sa RP team nagsisimula ang gulo? Was it because of what happened in '99?* As far as I know binatukan si Joey Mente noon and yung Taiwan mismo ang nag-umpisa ng gulo.* Oh well.

Joey Mente gave a cheap shot to the Taiwanese center that was never seen by the referees. In the ensuing play, the Taiwanese center gave a forearm to Mente's backhead and mayhem followed.

THAT incident with the Iloilo Megavoltz happened almost 10 years ago and the Taiwanese have not yet forgiven us and moved on?! A lot of the people from both sides have long been retired retired from the basketball scene.

chiqui34
06-14-2008, 11:38 PM
Bakit parang pinapalabas nila na sa RP team nagsisimula ang gulo? Was it because of what happened in '99?* As far as I know binatukan si Joey Mente noon and yung Taiwan mismo ang nag-umpisa ng gulo.* Oh well.

* * *THAT incident with the Iloilo Megavoltz happened almost 10 years ago and the Taiwanese have not yet forgiven us and moved on?!* A lot of the people from both sides have long been retired retired from the basketball scene.

Sometimes, it takes a lot of time to get over being made a fool of I guess.. Moving on is one thing, forgiving is another...

D_I_A
06-15-2008, 08:58 PM

THAT incident with the Iloilo Megavoltz happened almost 10 years ago and the Taiwanese have not yet forgiven us and moved on?! A lot of the people from both sides have long been retired retired from the basketball scene.

Pity them if that's the case...

Sometimes, it takes a lot of time to get over being made a fool of I guess.. Moving on is one thing, forgiving is another...

Howard the Duck
06-16-2008, 01:31 AM
the taiwanese are mad after what we've done on their "compatriot" ;D

pachador
06-16-2008, 01:57 AM
hirap sa mga taiwanese they are trying to play poker with our team. they are thinking we will blink to force us to send the PBA team kasi nga it will fill up the Taipei stadium with pinoy OFWs. I hope we don't bite their bait. hindi naman natin responsibility na-punuin ang kanilang stadium ng fans ano. mga walang kwentang kausap tulad ni graham lim.

CrossOver
06-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Sana iboykot ng RP ang pagsali diyan sa Jones Cup ng 3 years at madala yang mga Taiwanese na yan. Pinakita lang ng mga organizer na wala silang respeto sa RP >:(

mami_noodles
06-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Well, gusto lang nilang gawan ng masama ang National Team natin after that b**ch-slapping that their NT suffered during the Jones Cup last year...

D_I_A
06-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Well, gusto lang nilang gawan ng masama ang National Team natin after that b**ch-slapping that their NT suffered during the Jones Cup last year...

it's obvious, talagang nang aasar Taiwanese Jones Cup Organizers

winters
06-20-2008, 11:06 AM
we(Philippines) don't need this tournament, rather, they need our team to make their tournament interesting for everyone and use it to gauge their skills against us, we know better, we are better than this taiwanese.

The_Big_Cat
07-11-2008, 09:32 AM
I was watching the first day of the 30th Jones Cup on ESPN last night. 4th game South Korea vs Chinese Taipei.

South Korea fielded a selection from their collegiate league. Players ranging from ages 18-20 ang naglalaro kagabi for South Korea. Ang Chinese Taipei naman, they did not send their best players, composition of young and veteran players.

I thought Chinese Taipei wanted our PBA players to play in the Jones Cup pero they (Chinese Taipei) did not even fielded their strongest team.

Schortsanitis
07-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Yup, its being shown on ESPN Asia. Saw some parts of the Egypt-Qatar game. Not many people watched it live, though.

It would be interesting to see the other Asian teams, just so we could "scout" them a little bit.