PDA

View Full Version : Second Chances: PBA Top Free Agents

erichubert
04-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Who do you think are the top free agents available for teams in the PBA? For me, here is how I rank them:
1.) Neil Raneses- Playing very well with San Mig Coffee in the PBL, has developed his offensive game specially his post moves and outside shot. He should fit well with Purefoods who needs another big man, with Pingris gone.
2.) Reed Juntilla- Best shooter in the PBL, silky smooth stroke, and can play the point too. Perfect for Air21.
3.) Chris Luanzon- Also improved a lot with Bacchus in the PBL, more mature on offense and now possess a good outside stroke. Versatile and can play the point. Alaska seems to be the best fit still for him.
4.) Abby Santos- Seemed lost in his first stint in the PBA, but has regained his confidence with Burger King. Steady inside and plays strong and tough. Air21 can use his heft downlow, should use Homer Se as his model in the PBA.
5.) Khiel Misa- One of the more underrated point guards in the amateur loop, was undrafted last year, now back in the PBL, and continues to show his great feel for the game. With the proliferation of point guards in the PBA, he will have a hard time making it, but a team like Red Bull will be a good fit for him.

Other players who should be given a 2nd chance include Nat Cruz, Richard Alonzo, Boyet Bautista, Al Vergara and Erick Rodriguez.

james_ty
04-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Who do you think are the top free agents available for teams in the PBA? For me, here is how I rank them:
1.) Neil Raneses- Playing very well with San Mig Coffee in the PBL, has developed his offensive game specially his post moves and outside shot. He should fit well with Purefoods who needs another big man, with Pingris gone.
2.) Reed Juntilla- Best shooter in the PBL, silky smooth stroke, and can play the point too. Perfect for Air21.
3.) Chris Luanzon- Also improved a lot with Bacchus in the PBL, more mature on offense and now possess a good outside stroke. Versatile and can play the point. Alaska seems to be the best fit still for him.
4.) Abby Santos- Seemed lost in his first stint in the PBA, but has regained his confidence with Burger King. Steady inside and plays strong and tough. Air21 can use his heft downlow, should use Homer Se as his model in the PBA.
5.) Khiel Misa- One of the more underrated point guards in the amateur loop, was undrafted last year, now back in the PBL, and continues to show his great feel for the game. With the proliferation of point guards in the PBA, he will have a hard time making it, but a team like Red Bull will be a good fit for him.

Other players who should be given a 2nd chance include Nat Cruz, Richard Alonzo, Boyet Bautista, Al Vergara and Erick Rodriguez.

Reed Juntilla tried out for Air21. Why wasn't he signed?

The_Big_Cat
04-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Purefoods could use another big man. With Rommel Adducul out for a season, Neil Raneses could help Purefoods.

Red Bull could use another gunner in Reed Juntilla especially after they have dealt Junthy Valenzuela to Ginebra.

marmand
04-18-2008, 01:07 PM
How about RJ Rizada and Gaco?

coreytaylor
04-18-2008, 02:34 PM
boyet bautista

erichubert
04-18-2008, 02:38 PM
Gaco is also good, like Alonzo he is undersized, but Alonzo has developed a better midrange game allowing him to shift to the 3 spot. I heard Alonzo is being eyed by Red Bull, seems like a good fit. Where is Rizada anyway? He seemed to have disappeared. I also think Eric Dela Cuesta should be signed up. It's about time, he has been playing very well in the PBL for the past how many years already. Sadly he might be like Eugene Tan, forever stuck in the amateur leagues.

marmand
04-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Gaco is also good, like Alonzo he is undersized, but Alonzo has developed a better midrange game allowing him to shift to the 3 spot. I heard Alonzo is being eyed by Red Bull, seems like a good fit. Where is Rizada anyway? He seemed to have disappeared. I also think Eric Dela Cuesta should be signed up. It's about time, he has been playing very well in the PBL for the past how many years already. Sadly he might be like Eugene Tan, forever stuck in the amateur leagues.

Last heard of Rizada was that he was a practice player playing with Coke.

The_Big_Cat
04-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Boyet Bautista is too small for Purefoods that why they released him. Perhaps he could try out at Red Bull, they love to play "small ball" and a fast pace. Bautista could fit Yeng Guiao's system. Topex Robinson is already 32 so Red Bull might need another spunky poing guard in the next year or two.

BigBlue
04-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Great idea for a thread. All the names mentioned point to one thing: the PBA needs to expand!

The_Big_Cat
04-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Yeah! I think the PBA needs to add more clubs. A large pool of players with few clubs to play.

Knock! Knock! Harbour and Hapee.

Dark Knight
04-18-2008, 05:51 PM
FEU - Gerard Jones / Don Yabut
ADU - Mark Abadia
DLSU - Alvin Castro
ADMU - Johann Uichico ;D (calling Jong)
NU - Alfie Grijaldo / Rey Mendoza
UST - Alwyn Espiritu
UE - Bobbon Custodio, provided he applied for the draft
UP - Toti Almeda / Bornancin / Bravo

marmand
04-18-2008, 06:34 PM
Yeah! I think the PBA needs to add more clubs. A large pool of players with few clubs to play.

Knock! Knock! Harbour and Hapee.

This would be the best scenario for free agents but financially, the PBA is not that profitable for some clubs. In fact, there are a few clubs in the red and are just treating their stint in the PBA as a marketing aide. There would be clubs wanting to come in the league but there are also clubs wanting to leave. 12 teams would be ideal for the league but will the financial aspects of handling a team permit it.

cub
04-18-2008, 07:46 PM
what about the resurging Noy Javier? he has been a beast for the past couple of games, scoring 30 (twice this conference) and 26. :o

Mikhail
04-18-2008, 07:51 PM
This would be the best scenario for free agents but financially, the PBA is not that profitable for some clubs. In fact, there are a few clubs in the red and are just treating their stint in the PBA as a marketing aide. There would be clubs wanting to come in the league but there are also clubs wanting to leave. 12 teams would be ideal for the league but will the financial aspects of handling a team permit it.

And along with that lalong mababawasan ang kikitain ng mga teams dahil mas madami makikishare. So they might think twice when voting to accept a new member. Hopefully matuloy ang PBA-to-ABS deal para tumaas ang marketability ng liga.

Joescoundrel
04-18-2008, 08:13 PM
The ability to match up against PBA competition on a regular basis would be the real test as far as PBA teams go when it comes to signing free agents.

Take Neil Raneses. He was with Magnolia in the PBL before and was a star for them, got drafted by Coke, played one (or two?) conferences then returned to the PBL. Apparently Coke had no room for a 6'4" power forward who shoots mostly from beyond 15 feet but is not a great shooter. Chito Jaime would be a better bet as a forward-center type who can shoot form the outside.

Gerard Jones is in a similar bind as a 6'4" center-forward. How on earth he would survive matching up against the likes of Asi Taulava, Kerby Raymundo and Rafi Reavis blows the mind. He has a tough enough time trying to match up against PBL centers. The already mentioned Alwin Espiritu might actually do better since he is taller, heftier and stronger than Jones, not to mention Espiritu can actually nail 16-foot set shots.

Reed Juntilla might be the next Ronjay Buenafe if he gets to a team that will actually have him figure significantly in their plans. Otherwise he is just another volume shooter who plays suspect defense and cannot advance the ball against pressure like the good PBA guards. If he ever finds himself on the same court as say Mark Caguioa he will find out how much athletic ability is demanded of a top PBA guard.

Mark Abadia simply does not have enough stock for a fulltime PBA job. He needs to have the ball constantly to mean anything to his team and his other skill areas are below-average to average only. He has good enough size to be a PBA guard but skills-wise just cannot get it done.

aircanda
04-18-2008, 08:27 PM
How about RJ Rizada?

ngayon eto ang gusto kong makita at magimprove sa PBA.. sana magelevate ang game nia as to same level like larry fonacier and mac cardona.. at magkaron silang tatlo ng mga classic encounters twing maghaharap-harap sila.. ;)

joelex
04-19-2008, 02:40 AM
Al vergara has all the makings of a very good PBA level point guard. Ballhandling, passing, shooting, playmaking and decision making, defense, are all above par. IMO, he is just a less celebrated version of LA Tenorio with a little less penetrating skills. But at 5-5, it will be difficult for teams to take a look at him.* :D Age is downside also, but he is a lock if the PBA expands to 2 more teams.

If Alonzo or Gaco were 6-5 they be pro by now. But their lack of versatility to play the 3 prevents them from being so, dribbling and shooting is just not there. Although teams such as Red Bull might have room for either with their reputation for recruiting physical bigs.

Boyet Bautista's game since being cut from Purefoods has been downhill. Gone was the Boyet Bautista who would disect the defense and make minced meat out of it with his patented drive-drop pass or drive-kickout to a corner shooter. He seems to have lost confidence after his short-lived pro stint. Nowadays, what you see is an and1 streetball wizard who dribbles out the shot clock before firing an ill-advised long bomb. The kid has talent and I guess all he needs is playing time to regain lost confidence.

In my opinion, a low key but should be a good FA pickup for a PBA team who needs depth at the frontcourt, is former PCU Dolphin Arden Guiyab. At 6-5, he has the height and heft to match up and bang with them. He is a really physical slotman, effective in the high post with his reliable 15 footer, definite post defender and at worse will give 6 fouls that would be remebered til tomorrow.

erichubert
04-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Neil Raneses in his first stint in the PBL was not really too impressive, I think he was drafted more because of his reputation in the Cebu Leagues than his actual performance. But right now, he has really matured and is ready for the pros.

Another banger who can also help in the PBA is Joel Solis, he played well in the draft camp, he is a legit 6'5-6'6 player with long arms who can defend and hustle.

12 teams would be ideal, but the PBA should be able to disperse the talents well if not, there would be imbalance in the league, the PBA can ill-afford two additional Welcoats.

marmand
04-19-2008, 10:50 AM
Right now with all these lopsided trade, the league is pretty imbalance. The shift of power favors those teams with extra funds to finance star or high profile players ex. Valenzuela to Ginebra.

The_Big_Cat
04-19-2008, 12:10 PM
what about the resurging Noy Javier? he has been a beast for the past couple of games, scoring 30 (twice this conference) and 26. :o

Noy Javier was the 2004 NCAA leading scorer for the Altas. He is a brilliant catch-and-shoot guy but his problems is his defense. His recent stints in the PBL would help him improve his skills particularly his defense.

erichubert
04-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Well assuming that the PBA does not expand, the fight for roster spots would be pretty tight with tons of deserving free agents and the potential draftees, here are some of the players currently in the PBA who I think is in danger of being part of the free agent list soon:
Jojo Tangkay, Joey Mente, Gilbert Lao, Egay Billones, Warren Ybanez, Magnum Membrere, Kenneth Duremdes, MC Caceres, Richard Yee, Ardy Larong, Chester Tolomia, Melvin Mamaclay, Philip Butel.

Honestly, some people in this list really deserve to be replaced already.

joelex
04-19-2008, 01:52 PM
i think for roster spots 11-14?, most of them na din yung mga sinasabing "bata" ng mga coach. Katwiran nila is in a game, you use 9-10 players at most with your game plan and major minutes goes to around 8 players only.

Thats why say in TNT, we see perennial Chot favorite Gilbert Lao, a bunch of pakisama's in SLR, namely, Butel, Alvin Pua, which I know were assistant coach Adonis Tierra's boys from some other league. Kanya kanyang connection alng yan when it comes to filling out bench warmer spots.

Joescoundrel
04-19-2008, 02:32 PM
Perhaps a compromise could be that the PBA can allow more regular players on the rosters, say from just 14 per team to 18, that way more real talents would be accommodated and given a chance to have a PBA career.

About Al Vergara, he simply does not have the size nor the talent to be in the PBA, not even in his younger days. Vergara is too much of a shoot-first pointguard and he is not even that consistent a shooter. He can make 4-of-5 from three-point land in one game and go scoreless over the next three or four games. His assists numbers have never been any great shakes either and yes, his age is a definite minus.

I agree with the observation on Jerwin Gaco and Chad Alonzo. These two guys are sub-6'3" post players who do not really have a consistent jumpshot. They may able to get their numbers in the post and in the power zone in the amateurs but no way in hell will they get that done against the likes of Enrico Villanueva, Eric Menk, Danny Ildefonso, Dennis Espino and Kerby Raymundo, never mind the taller timber like Asi Taulava, Dorian Pena and Rafi Revis.

How do similarly smallish power foward types like Bitoy Omolon and Leo Najorda keep PBA roster spots? They can nail 16-foot jumpshots in real game situations until the kalabaws come home, and they're great athletic leapers.

The_Big_Cat
04-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Perhaps a compromise could be that the PBA can allow more regular players on the rosters, say from just 14 per team to 18, that way more real talents would be accommodated and given a chance to have a PBA career.

Maybe, but not that feasible yet. They change the limit from 12 to 14 before the All-Filipino Cup to accomodate the high influx of players. Pero kailangan din ng mga team na magtipid so they agreed on 14 players. The most feasible to accomodate the other players is really to add more clubs to the PBA.

Aside from Harbour Centre and Hapee Toothpaste. Toyota could make a return to the PBA, now that they have surpassed General Motors as the world's number one car manufacturer.

marmand
04-19-2008, 05:27 PM

Maybe, but not that feasible yet. They change the limit from 12 to 14 before the All-Filipino Cup to accomodate the high influx of players. Pero kailangan din ng mga team na magtipid so they agreed on 14 players. The most feasible to accomodate the other players is really to add more clubs to the PBA.

Aside from Harbour Centre and Hapee Toothpaste. Toyota could make a return to the PBA, now that they have surpassed General Motors as the world's number one car manufacturer.

The problem with having so much players in your team is PLAYING TIME. Its a coach's nightmare. You can be on the active roster but if you do not see a single minute on the playing court then it is useless. Adding teams would be best but will the Finances be enough to encourage new teams to join?

The_Big_Cat
04-19-2008, 05:55 PM
^Maybe Yes. With the broadcast contract slightly leaning on ABS-CBN in the future, the advertising and marketing incentives of each franchise will be more lucrative considering that ABS-CBN has the widest coverage among its competitors.

stonecold316
04-20-2008, 03:55 AM
Actually, adding teams in the PBA will be a big boost kasi madaming mahahatak na advertisers and even fans as well. Aside from that, mabibigyan ng chance ang mga players, especially those who are really deserving, to play in the PBA again.

I want Hapee Toothpaste, Toyota and Harbour to join the PBA. Madaming teams mas masayang PBA.

stonecold316

stonecold316
04-20-2008, 03:56 AM
Mga Tigers na gusto ko mabigyan uli na chance sa PBA includes Gerard Francisco, Dale Singson and Marvin Ortiguerra. I do believe if given the chance may ibubuga pa ang mga ito.

stonecold316

Liga Pilipinas
04-20-2008, 04:15 AM
* * *Many former PBA players and undrafted rookie free agents will be seeing action in the inaugural season of Liga Pilipinas starting May 23, 2008 at a stadium near you.

* * *We hope to be the instrument that will give them the right breaks in order for them to have a second shot at pro league stardom.* A good performance in Liga will definitely merit the player consideration from PBA coaches.

The_Big_Cat
04-20-2008, 12:58 PM
Mga Tigers na gusto ko mabigyan uli na chance sa PBA includes Gerard Francisco, Dale Singson and Marvin Ortiguerra. I do believe if given the chance may ibubuga pa ang mga ito.

stonecold316

Si Ortiguerra ang pinaka bata diyan sa tatlo, kaya mas malaki ang chance niya. As for Francisco and Dale, mukhang their prime years has passed them already.

joelex
04-20-2008, 01:52 PM
saw ortiguerra recently. i doubt if he can still compete in the PBA level. Kahit PBL mahirapan na siguro, age has somehow caught up with him and he looks sickly thin.

tigerman
04-20-2008, 02:24 PM
How about Felix Belano and Egay Billones? These 2 are Jimmy Alapag's back-up at the TNT camp but I have yet to see them play eversince Coach Chot decided to use Gec Chia as Alapag's primary back-up.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

marmand
04-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Many former PBA players and undrafted rookie free agents will be seeing action in the inaugural season of Liga Pilipinas starting May 23, 2008 at a stadium near you.

We hope to be the instrument that will give them the right breaks in order for them to have a second shot at pro league stardom. A good performance in Liga will definitely merit the player consideration from PBA coaches.

Thank GOD, another league to develop our players. If the PBA can not expand then let other leagues help develop and use to the fullest the services of players. I prefer seeing these players play then see them rotting in one of the PBA team's bench. Good luck and hope Liga Pilipinas last for a long time. :)

erichubert
04-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Another UST player who I think would have been good in the pros is Don Villamin, he is a tall pointguard who can really pass the ball. If he was only more consistent with his shooting stroke, he would definitely be a shoo-in the PBA.

Joescoundrel
04-20-2008, 08:08 PM
Many former PBA players and undrafted rookie free agents will be seeing action in the inaugural season of Liga Pilipinas starting May 23, 2008 at a stadium near you.

We hope to be the instrument that will give them the right breaks in order for them to have a second shot at pro league stardom. A good performance in Liga will definitely merit the player consideration from PBA coaches.

The problem with any new pro league competing with the PBA is that the best players are still over at the PBA. This means that generally - and I do mean generally - only the also-rans wind up in the competing league. This is exactly what happened to the defunct MBA, at least in terms of talent. MBA superstars like Biboy Simon could not make it that big in the PBA. All Star-calibre MBA players like Peter Martin and Bryant Punzalan were essentially PBA cast-offs.

Granted a few MBA stars like Willie Miller, Rommel Adducul and Dondon Hontiveros made a successful transition into the PBA. But it could be argued that these guys already were PBA ready coming out of the amateurs, except they took a different route to the PBA.

Hopefully the new Liga will learn from this historical lesson and not repeat it.

stonecold316
04-21-2008, 01:39 AM

stonecold316

Si Ortiguerra ang pinaka bata diyan sa tatlo, kaya mas malaki ang chance niya. As for Francisco and Dale, mukhang their prime years has passed them already.

May punto ka diyan. Pabataan na rin kasi ang labanan sa PBA. Isa pa very athletic na rin ang mga guards this days.

stonecold316

The_Big_Cat
04-21-2008, 10:22 AM

stonecold316

May punto ka diyan. Pabataan na rin kasi ang labanan sa PBA. Isa pa very athletic na rin ang mga guards this days.

stonecold316

I agree. Dyan ngayon papasok ang college degree ng mga players na ito if they don't do well in Basketball.

erichubert
04-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Come to think of it, UST ang may pinakamaraming players na hindi nabigyan ng chance sa PBA. Makakabuo na ng isang team sina Ortiguerra, Villamin, Francisco, Singson, Hubalde, Latoreno, Oreta at Alwin Espiritu. Malalim talaga ang line-up ng UST nuon.

Sa Ateneo, halos lahat nasa PBA pa naman ngayon, although not for long, I think Magnum and Macky might be cut soon.

billabong
04-27-2008, 10:20 PM
ron capati, al magpayo, lou gatumbato, joel co, cj cole

stonecold316
04-28-2008, 02:48 AM
Come to think of it, UST ang may pinakamaraming players na hindi nabigyan ng chance sa PBA. Makakabuo na ng isang team sina Ortiguerra, Villamin, Francisco, Singson, Hubalde, Latoreno, Oreta at Alwin Espiritu. Malalim talaga ang line-up ng UST nuon.

Sa Ateneo, halos lahat nasa PBA pa naman ngayon, although not for long, I think Magnum and Macky might be cut soon.

Ortiguerra, Francisco, and Dale were able to play a few years sa PBA but were cut eventually with the entry of new players. Nakakalungkot isipin na nangyari ito considering na talented naman sila. Pero that's how life goes for a PBA player. Hindi panghabang-buhay ang paglalaro.

stonecold316

freak
04-28-2008, 06:16 PM
Boyet Bautista, Melvin Mamaclay, James Razon.. some of the former names in the NCAA and the UAAP.. are now seeing action in all of places, our barangay inter-color league in the province!

My cousin who plays for one of the teams there says that the league virtually became the playground of past UAAP/NCAA and PBL stars. He says that they are paid about 2K pesos a game. Some players from the previous UAAP junior tourney are also playing there. :P

erichubert
04-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Isn't Melvin Mamaclay currently signed with Sta. Lucia? Or was he cut already?

freak
04-29-2008, 01:52 PM
Isn't Melvin Mamaclay currently signed with Sta. Lucia? Or was he cut already?

Hmm.. not sure on the player's contracts, but my cousin said that they are paid on a per game basis.

joelex
04-29-2008, 02:02 PM
tumatakas lang siguro para naman maramdaman ulit kung paano mag laro ng basketbol :D

a_ron
10-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Boyet Bautista, Melvin Mamaclay, James Razon.. some of the former names in the NCAA and the UAAP.. are now seeing action in all of places, our barangay inter-color league in the province!

My cousin who plays for one of the teams there says that the league virtually became the playground of past UAAP/NCAA and PBL stars. He says that they are paid about 2K pesos a game. Some players from the previous UAAP junior tourney are also playing there. :P

same thing here in Cebu former PBA?NCAA n UAAP players are just playing in city or municipal tournment to mention some Dale Singson, Gilbert Demape, Raneses , Gilbert Castillo and more........

bossman
10-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Al Magpayo. If not for the freak injury baka matagal na sya tuloy tuloy sa PBA.

ilovedhay
10-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Patrick Cabahug and Boyet Bautista deserve a break.

erichubert
10-14-2008, 11:40 AM
Marlon Basco and Marlon Legaspi are two bigs who have what it takes to return to the PBA. I would take this two over players in some teams' rosters like Bugia and Lao. For the rookies, sayang si Chito Jaime, he went to a team that has players like Kelly Williams and Omolon playing his spot, he should be given a chance too.

The_Big_Cat
10-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Marlon Basco and Marlon Legaspi are two bigs who has what it takes to return to the PBA. I would take this two over players in some teams' rosters like Bugia and Lao. For the rookies, sayang si Chito Jaime, he went to a team that has players like Kelly Williams and Omolon playing his spot, he should be given a chance too.

Sta. Lucia has also veteran Norman Gonzales and rookie Kelvin Gregorio playing the same position as Chito Jaime.

cub
10-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Marlon Basco and Marlon Legaspi are two bigs who has what it takes to return to the PBA. I would take this two over players in some teams' rosters like Bugia and Lao. For the rookies, sayang si Chito Jaime, he went to a team that has players like Kelly Williams and Omolon playing his spot, he should be given a chance too.

Sta. Lucia has also veteran Norman Gonzales and rookie Kelvin Gregorio playing the same position as Chito Jaime.

his time will come. maybe next year or next next year, the twin towers will retire.

bluebruiser90
10-14-2008, 11:52 PM
^It may be sooner than that for Chito Jayme....Butel and Mamaclay are just practice players waiting to happen.

^^^Have you seen Marlon Legaspi recently? He's like 30-40 lbs above his playing weight. He does have skills but he is undersized to play his position in the pros and was with the wrong team to start with. Larry Rodriguez looks like his second coming. Hopefully Rodriguez finds his sweet spot with his the right team and eventually have a better career than Marlon.

Sam Miguel
10-15-2008, 02:54 AM
Chito Jaime should have stayed another year in the PBL.

As for Philip Butel and Melvin Mamaclay, I wonder why Sta Lucia even signed them in the first place...

The_Big_Cat
10-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Chito Jaime should have stayed another year in the PBL.

As for Philip Butel and Melvin Mamaclay, I wonder why Sta Lucia even signed them in the first place...

Nagtitipid siguro. AFAIK Dennis Espino is still earning the old maximum salary of P500,000/month which is in its last year. That explains Butel and Mamaclay in Sta. Lucia's lineup.

Wang-Bu
10-15-2008, 09:26 AM
^^ Basta naman matangkad parating may pagasa sa PBA o kahit na anong pro na liga, alam naman natin na ang lahat ng coach pareho sinasabi "hindi mo maituturo ang tangkad". Si Butel nasa 6'6" hanggang 6'7" samantalang si Mamaclay naman pihado nasa 6'5" man lang, at pareho silang may liksi at bilis sa tangkad nilang 'yan, kaya naman hindi malayong ma-lineup nga sila.

erichubert
10-15-2008, 10:48 AM
When it comes down to the 12th-14th roster spots on PBA teams, usually teams would get players who would be cheaper and/or players na may connection with either the coach, the assistant coach or whoever in that team.
Mamaclay is actually okay, he is agile and can shoot decently. As for Butel, lets just say he comes cheap.