PDA

View Full Version : Hardcore coaches: Who do u think are the best coaches in NCAA (all divisions)

cameronCrazy
04-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Who do think are the best NCAA coaches for both juniors and senior's divisions? Why so?

BedanRoar
04-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Lahat ng coaches na napa-champion ang team niya.....

The_Big_Cat
04-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Ato Badolato is one. Grabe yan kung makasigaw. "Bobby Knight" of HS Pinoy basketball.
Biro lang coach Ato. ;D

ilovedhay
04-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Si Louie Alas ng Letran Knights. Ang coaching philosophy niya at counterpart nya si Billy Donovan ng Florida Gators. Same time he won an MBA Title, many time National Coach and before he was a coach, isa sya sa mga best defensive shooting guard ng Adamson Falcons nun kasikatan nya nun college

mighty_lion
04-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Juniors:
Veteran - Ato Badolato
Uprising - Turo Valenzona

Seniors:
Veteran - Louie Alas
Uprising - Frankie Lim. Accept it or not he will in the near future ;D

King_stag
04-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Juniors:
Veteran - Ato Badolato

Seniors:
Veteran - Louie Alas
Uprising - Frankie Lim.* Accept it or not he will in the near future* ;D

sir isnt dat raymond valenzona, the coach of the staglets?

anyway, i like coach gallent. he improved baste's D in just one season with the stags ;D

oca
04-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Ato Badolato is one. Grabe yan kung makasigaw. "Bobby Knight" of HS Pinoy basketball.
Biro lang coach Ato. ;D

Biro man o hindi, Coach Ato has mellowed down... a long time ago. Ganyan siguro pag tumatanda na.

He is now past 60. Then, late last year, a few weeks before his b-day na-confine yan dahil sa high blood pressure.

Buong akala ko, full court pressure lang ang meron si Coach sa systema niya, high blood pressure din pala. ;D

Going back on topic, hindi lang sa NCAA, but sa buong kasaysayan ng Junior basketball dito sa Lupang Hinirang, he is the best coach. Period.

Not only with the titles he has won but with the seemingly endless list of players that he has honed to become good players. Just how many Red Cubs have made a name for themselves in the varsity, commercial leagues and in the PBA? At the UAAP, starting with the mid-80s, there is no 3-year period that would pass where you will not find a former Red Cub making a contribution for the champion team.

About two years ago, a core group of Bedans came up with book celebrating the Red Lions first title after a 28 year drought. It had a short narrative on the pains and frustrations during the years between 1978 and 2006; and the work and dedication that resulted to ending that drought.

Imo, a book on the Red Cubs and Coach Ato was more deserving of that kind of effort.

How could they write about those 28 years, when there is over 30 years, continuing at that, to celebrate with the Red Cubs?

Nakapagtataka, and to a certain extent... ako ang nahihiya.

oca
04-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Alas for the Seniors Division.

Letran has never been know to figure in the recruitment race. Yet, every year, the Knights have been installed as contenders. Even on a rebuilding year, they are contenders!

Among hardcore fans, the Knights success under Alas is not well appreciated. Imo, this is due to the fact that Letran doesn't do significantly well versus non-NCAA teams. But Alas's Letran was never built for non-NCAA competition. He surveys the opposition in the NCAA and plan accordingly.

But he has a point. For many decades now, there is no National Championship to speak of. For the longest time now, "cross over tournaments" have been more of exhibition and a try-out venue. So, why look beyond the walls of the NCAA with so minimal resources and backing to work with?

That may soon change. If a National Championship event will become credible and prominent, I am sure, Alas will plan accordingly. Then, even the regular fan will notice Alas.

mighty_lion
04-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Juniors:
Veteran - Ato Badolato

Seniors:
Veteran - Louie Alas
Uprising - Frankie Lim.* Accept it or not he will in the near future* ;D

sir isnt dat raymond valenzona, the coach of the staglets?

anyway, i like coach gallent. he improved baste's D in just one season with the stags* ;D

My bad. Yes im referring to Raymond Valenzona.

bchoter
04-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Louie Alas din for me. Probably the best coach in the college ranks right now

bydpogi
04-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Horacio Lim when he was still handling the MIT Red Robins, parang si Bob Knight ang tapang masyado ;D Di lang naging successful nung hawakan na ang Cardinals :-[

BedanRoar
04-17-2008, 02:26 PM
Can anyone come up with a list of NCAA Coaches with a number of titles under their Tour of Duty?

The_Big_Cat
04-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Horacio Lim when he was still handling the MIT Red Robins, parang si Bob Knight ang tapang masyado ;D Di lang naging successful nung hawakan na ang Cardinals :-[

Yes I remeber those years. He had great players on that Mapua HS team. In 1991, they had Ernesto "Estong" Ballesteros and Henry Ong. Both of whom went to UST. In 1992, they had Mark Telan, who was the '92 Juniors MVP.

aircanda
04-17-2008, 06:40 PM

sigawan ba naman at murahin si Cerick Hubalde nung nag-cramps.. ;D

hardcore nga!

oca
04-17-2008, 07:15 PM

sigawan ba naman at murahin si Cerick Hubalde nung nag-cramps..* ;D

hardcore nga!

Horacio Lim is now handling the FEU Juniors team. Makikita nang UAAP community kung sino itong si Lim.

Mahirap katapat yan dahil more than being a coach, parang master and slave ang relationship nila ng players niya oncourt. (Siempre, hindi siya ang slave!) Talagang pwersadong ibigay ng players and todo, dahil kung hindi, abot-abot na mura talaga ang maririnig nila.

His Red Robins, together with the Squires and the Red Cubs, laging matindi ang labanan. These teams dominant play would even extend beyond the NCAA. Pre and post season events will find these 3 teams as perennial title contenders.

aircanda
04-17-2008, 07:42 PM

sigawan ba naman at murahin si Cerick Hubalde nung nag-cramps.. ;D

hardcore nga!

Horacio Lim is now handling the FEU Juniors team. Makikita nang UAAP community kung sino itong si Lim.

Mahirap katapat yan dahil more than being a coach, parang master and slave ang relationship nila ng players niya oncourt. (Siempre, hindi siya ang slave!) Talagang pwersadong ibigay ng players and todo, dahil kung hindi, abot-abot na mura talaga ang maririnig nila.

His Red Robins, together with the Squires and the Red Cubs, laging matindi ang labanan. These teams dominant play would even extend beyond the NCAA. Pre and post season events will find these 3 teams as perennial title contenders.

sana maibalik na ang juniors ng mapua.. nakakalungkot dahil wala na ang mapua high na nakapagproduce din ng magagaling na players.. kung ang malayan ang ipapalit nila.. sana si coach horacio din ang magcoach pero mukhang malabo gawa ng asa FEU na pala si coach.. at para apat na ang powerhouse sa juniors ng ncaa ngayon.. ang red robins, squires, red cubs at ang bagong powerhouse staglets..

pero sa tingen ko si Coach Ato talaga ang pinaka-hardcore sa lahat at naging victim ako ng kagalingan ko ng tinalo nila ang bata kong si Japhet at Galinato noong 03..

magaling talaga si sir.. hinde nawawalan ng malakas at magagaling na player.. kahit na isipin mong malakas na at magaling ang isang player.. mas nakakatakot pa ren at parang nakakaintimidate maglaro kung galing siya kay coach ato..

amdgc82
04-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Incomplete List of Champion Coaches (NCAA Men's Basketball)

School Year Coach
1924-25 * *Regino Ylanan (UP)
1925-26 * *? (UP)
1926-27 * *? (UP)
1927-28 * *? (San Beda)
1928-29 * *Fr. James Martin SJ (Ateneo)
1929-30 * *? (UP)
1930-31 * *? (UST)
1931-32 * *Fr. Matthew Kane SJ (Ateneo)
1932-33 * *Fr. Matthew Kane SJ (Ateneo)
1933-34 * *Fr. Matthew Kane SJ (Ateneo)
1934-35 * *Martin Diño (San Beda)
1935-36 * *Martin Diño (San Beda)
1936-37 * *Martin Diño (San Beda)
1937-38 * *Augusto Bautista (Ateneo)
1938-39 * *Jacinto "Jack" Ciria Cruz (Letran)
1939-40 * *Dionisio "Chito" Calvo (De La Salle)
1940-41 * *? (San Beda)
1941-42 * *? (Ateneo)
1947-48 * *Dionisio "Chito" Calvo (De La Salle)
1948-49 * *Mateo Adao (Jose Rizal)
1949-50 * *John "Johnny" Schlobohm (Mapua)
1950-51 * *Angel de Leon (Letran)
1951-52 * *Felicisimo "Fely" Fajardo (San Beda)
1952-53 * *Felicisimo "Fely" Fajardo (San Beda)
1953-54 * *Bibiano "Bing" Ouano (Ateneo)
1954-55 * *Bibiano "Bing" Ouano (Ateneo)
1955-56 * *Felicisimo "Fely" Fajardo (San Beda)
1956-57 * *Rogelio LaÓ (De La Salle)
1957-58 * *Rafael "Jing" Roco Sr. (Ateneo)
1958-59 * *Rafael "Jing" Roco Sr. (Ateneo)
1959-60 * *Arturo "Luli" Rius (San Beda)
1960-61 * *Bibiano "Bing" Ouano (Letran)
1961-62 * *Don Al Dunbar (Ateneo)
1962-63 * *-
1963-64 * *Francisco "Kiko" Calilan (Jose Rizal)
1964-65 * *Francisco "Kiko" Calilan (Jose Rizal)
1965-66 * *Valerio "Amang" Lopez (Mapua)
1966-67 * *Nilo Verona (Letran)
1967-68 * *Francisco "Kiko" Calilan (Jose Rizal)
1968-69 * *Francisco "Kiko" Calilan (Jose Rizal)
1969-70 * *Nilo Verona (Ateneo)
1970-71 * *Gabriel "Gabby" Fajardo (Letran)
1971-72 * *Valentin "Tito" Eduque (De La Salle)
1972-73 * *Francisco "Kiko" Calilan (Jose Rizal)
1973-74 * *Ignacio "Ning" Ramos (San Sebastian)
1974-75 * *Valentin "Tito" Eduque (De La Salle)
1975-76 * *Virgilio "Baby" Dalupan (Ateneo)
1976-77 * *Virgilio "Baby" Dalupan (Ateneo)
1977-78 * *Loreto "Bonnie" Carbonell (San Beda)
1978-79 * *Loreto "Bonnie" Carbonell (San Beda)
1979-80 * *Nemie Villegas (Letran)
1980-81 * *Aborted
1981-82 * *Carlos "Charlie" Badion (Mapua)
1982-83 * *Laurentino "Larry" Albano (Letran)
1983-84 * *Laurentino "Larry" Albano (Letran)
1984-85 * *Laurentino "Larry" Albano (Letran)
1985-86 * *Francis Rodriguez (San Sebastian)
1986-87 * *Eduardo "Eddie" Reyes (Letran)
1987-88 * *Eduardo "Eddie" Reyes (Letran)
1988-89 * *Francis Rodriguez (San Sebastian)
1989-90 * *Francis Rodriguez (San Sebastian)
1990-91 * *Joel Banal (Mapua)
1991-92 * *Joel Banal (Mapua)
1992-93 * *Rudolf "Rudy" Hines (Letran)
1993-94 * *Arturo "Turo" Valenzona (San Sebastian)
1994-95 * *Arturo "Turo" Valenzona (San Sebastian)
1995-96 * *Arturo "Turo" Valenzona (San Sebastian)
1996-97 * *Arturo "Turo" Valenzona (San Sebastian)
1997-98 * *Arturo "Bai" Cristobal (San Sebastian)
1998-99 * *Francisco Luis "Louie" Alas (Letran)
1999-00 * *Vincent Kenneth "Binky" Favis (Letran)
2000-01 * *Eduardo "Dong" Vergeire (St. Benilde)
2001-02 * *Arturo "Turo" Valenzona (San Sebastian)
2002-03 * *Arturo "Turo" Valenzona (San Sebastian)
2003-04 * *Francisco Luis "Louie" Alas (Letran)
2004-05 * *Loreto "Ato" Tolentino (PCU)
2005-06 * *Francisco Luis "Louie" Alas (Letran)
2006-07 * *Enrico "Coy" Banal (San Beda)
2007-08 * *Francisco "Frankie" Lim (San Beda)

AnthonyServinio
04-18-2008, 03:20 AM
* * *I think that Coach Horacio Lim was probably one of the most underrated and underappreciated coaches in the NCAA.* This man is a good coach, you can gauge it when you talk to him as he talks with great basketball sense and by observing his actions on the court.

Of course, the major mark of a coach is how his "students" fare later on basketball-wise and in life away from basketball. A lot of former Red Robins and Cardinals under him went on to the professional level. For those who quit basketball early, many have gone on to become successful engineers.

* * *If only the Mapua administration, students and alumni gave more support during Coach Lim's tenure, the Cardinals could have at least made the NCAA Finals twice and perhaps a title.* Note that the Cardinals were consistent Final Four contenders.

* * *Consider the fact that Coach Lim was able to make the most of the team's limited resources.* Also, Mapua games definitely paled in terms of fan attendance as compared to the other NCAA schools.

* * *What if?

aircanda
04-18-2008, 06:32 AM
What if?

yaan mo sir.. pag ala MVP na ko.. babawi ako sa Mapua at kay coach Horacio.. ;D

BedanRoar
04-18-2008, 08:28 AM
amdgc82

Thanks Bro, good research.

Now we have a better idea and give due credit to these caliber coaches.

The_Big_Cat
04-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Ah yes. Joel Banal from that back-to-back Mapua Cardinals of 90 and 91. The '90 team had Kevin Ramas, Bong Marasigan and Randy Alcantara. While the '91 team had Benito Cheng and Ruben Dela Rosa. All whom had played in the professional league either the PBA and MBA.

The_Big_Cat
04-18-2008, 08:14 PM

School Year Coach

1975-76 Virgilio "Baby" Dalupan (Ateneo)
1976-77 Virgilio "Baby" Dalupan (Ateneo)

I think it was Virgilio "Bong" Go who coached that Ateneo team. ??? :)

MonL
04-18-2008, 08:28 PM

School Year Coach

Baby Dalupan coached the Eagles to championships in 1975 and in 1976. He was succeeded by Bong Go in 1977.

amdgc82
04-18-2008, 08:34 PM

School Year Coach

Baby Dalupan coached the Eagles to championships in 1975 and* in 1976. He was succeeded by Bong Go in 1977.

Adrian "Bong" Go was the assistant coach.

read -> 1975: Year of the Eagle (http://www.admu.edu.ph/index.php?p=120&type=2&aid=1563)

The_Big_Cat
04-18-2008, 08:51 PM

School Year Coach

Baby Dalupan coached the Eagles to championships in 1975 and in 1976. He was succeeded by Bong Go in 1977.

read -> 1975: Year of the Eagle (http://www.admu.edu.ph/index.php?p=120&type=2&aid=1563)

Ah..Ok.

cameronCrazy
04-21-2008, 09:17 AM
I think in the junior's level, no doubt the undisputed hardcore coach is no other than coach Ato Badolato. Though his success was credited to having really talented players, he still had the gift in honing them to become better athletes and moreover to have a strong chemistry all through the years. Nauna si coach Ato sa realization sa power of recruiting, now kaya siguro mukang humihina na ang Red Cubs unlike in the 80's and 90's is that more teams in the junior's level are into recruiting better players to their programs. Still, coach Ato revolutionized the coaching and recruiting in the junior's division.

If I go to UAAP juniors, I think I give my vote to Bedan coach Jamike Jarin of the Ateneo Blue Eaglets. A very disciplinarian type of a coach and I love his pressure defense... Hindi lang players are production ng Beda kundi pati good coaches in the HS and College levels. I heard many bedan coaches are coaching teams in PRADA, WNCAA, and the other HS and college leagues.

For the seniors, I go for coach Alas of Letran. He might not get the top blue chip recruits but he is always a contender every year. You can see how he rotates his players, call the defensive and offensive plays. He is I think the best collegiate coach in the NCAA. Lalo na ngayon marami na magagaling na coaches who underwent coaching seminars in the US, at nag evolve na ang new coaching methods, mahirap na magchampion sa mga panahon ngayon but coach Alas managed to be competitive every year.

In the UAAP side, I go for coach Norman Black for his intelligence and experience. Though he had a tougher time in the collegiate wars, he adjusted well enough to be competitive. I also like coach Dandan of NU, with limited resources and support, he managed to make it to the Final Four and always gives a tough challenge against powerhouse teams in the UAAP.

The_Big_Cat
04-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Orly Castelo was the coach of the 1991 Red Lions

San Beda won the first 8 games before loosing the last two (JRU & Mapua) to end the eliminations.
Castelo led San Beda to an NCAA Finals appearance in 1991 for the first time in 13 years.

Sadly, he was relieved after the 1991 Finals. :(

cameronCrazy
04-22-2008, 08:58 AM

San Beda won the first 8 games before loosing the last two (JRU & Mapua) to end the eliminations.
Castelo led San Beda to an NCAA Finals appearance in 1991 for the first time in 13 years.

Yeah I remembered him. That's the sad thing with basketball in the Philippines. Schools must at least give a coach 5 years to build and use his system to be successful. But most schools impatient, most doesn't understand that it takes time for a system to work and to hopefully get a championship.... pera nalang if the incoming coach was blessed with great players.

How bout coach Jonathan Reyes (during the Paterno days), he led the RL to a magnificent first round start but he never adjusted in the 2nd round, thus the RL failed to make it to the Final Four.... after additional 1 year, tinanggal na ata... schools should give time to coaches really to be successful. Even coach Nash got fired, but he did well revitalizing RL's defensive system....but again most schools are impatient.

The_Big_Cat
04-22-2008, 10:37 AM

Yeah I remembered him. That's the sad thing with basketball in the Philippines. Schools must at least give a coach 5 years to build and use his system to be successful. But most schools impatient, most doesn't understand that it takes time for a system to work and to hopefully get a championship.... pera nalang if the incoming coach was blessed with great players.

How bout coach Jonathan Reyes (during the Paterno days), he led the RL to a magnificent first round start but he never adjusted in the 2nd round, thus the RL failed to make it to the Final Four.... after additional 1 year, tinanggal na ata... schools should give time to coaches really to be successful. Even coach Nash got fired, but he did well revitalizing RL's defensive system....but again most schools are impatient.

Actually, under Jonathan Reyes, the Red Lions was on top of the standings after the first round (5-2). Then suffered five straight defeats. Jonathan Reyes implemented a trapping and pressing defense for the RL team but when the fourth quarter comes, medyo napagod ang team and unfortunately wala siyang stable half-court offense. Reyes relied on his pressing defense to create turnovers.

abcdef
04-22-2008, 02:36 PM
For me, as a young Bedan Freshman at that time , I never saw a coach as Hard Core as Coach Nash Racela..... It woke me up to the reality that NCAA Basketball is more than just a basketball game. . . .Coach Nash iba talaga! Hard Core!

-insane-
06-25-2008, 03:33 PM
ncaa seniors -coach louie

nba- phil jackson

pba- jawo

uaap seniors-franz pumaren

dune65
06-25-2008, 08:58 PM
coach ato badolato. ;D

pepman
08-16-2008, 07:48 AM
All-time
Juniors: Ato Badolato
Seniors: Arturo Valenzona

Current
Juniors: Raymond Valenzona
Seniors: Francis Luis Alas

KingRedLion
08-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Señor Ato Badolato.

¡ánimo San Beda!

untamed
08-31-2008, 10:57 PM
All time
-----------
Seniors: Turo Valenzona
Juniors: Ato Badolato & Horacio Lim

Current
-----------
Seniors: George Gallent
Juniors: Raymond Valenzona

Get_Blazed
09-05-2008, 09:40 PM

School Year Coach

The same Bong Go who discovered Sunday Salvacion and coached the Blazers?

jpmalpas
09-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Gallent and Valenzona. :D

The_Big_Cat
09-06-2008, 10:01 AM

Yes.
Naging coach ko din siya sa Milo Best nun late 80s.

Get_Blazed
09-06-2008, 11:55 AM

Yes.
Naging coach ko din siya sa Milo Best nun late 80s.

OT: where is he now? Kelangan nya uli kami ihanap ng isa pang Sunday. :-\

aircanda
09-06-2008, 12:06 PM
pagkatapos kong mapanood ung game ng letran yesterday.. masasabe kong Hardcore nga tong si Alas

Emon74
10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Maybe this is the right thread for me to posts Past (or Present?) NCAA Coaches in the Seniors Division

Letran - Eddie Reyes
SSC - Bert Dela Rosa
Mapua - Joel Banal
SSC - Edgardo "boy" Cantada
San Beda - Orly Castelo
PHCR - Abet Guitierrez
Letran - Rudy Hines
SSC - Arturo Valenzona
San Beda - Angel "boy" Ascue
JRC - Egay Gomez
PHCR - Bong Go
JRC - Boy De Vera