PDA

View Full Version : STI College Olympians 2008-2009

Mhel_Garrido
04-14-2008, 08:28 PM
The STI College Olympians start their 2008-2009 season with the Father Martin's Cup. The past few years, this tournament has helped the Olympians see how new team members play and respond to various pressures put up by other top colleges in the country. The experience of playing in the FMC gave the team enough exposure to plug the holes that they see during this tournament. There are Twelve new faces in the team and only the veterans who played in the 2007 Championship are assured of a slot for the Olympians.

San Mig Coffee Forward and twice NAASCU Mythical 5 member Ramon Mabayo leads the Olympians this year together with another PBL veteran Darryl Mendoza. Bullstrong Michael Cabangon, 2005 Inter-STI Basketball MVP William Vasallo and point guard Alvin Macabasco complete the cast who will complement the formidable duo of Mabayo and Mendoza.

The other recruits debut in this league and will hopefully learn the style of Coach Vic Ycasaiano.

This thread will post scheduleds, results and other matters about the Olympians for school year 2008-2009.

Go OLympians.

Mhel_Garrido
04-14-2008, 08:44 PM
April 18, 2008, 10:30 AM, Arellano Gym
GAME # 1
STI College vs. De Ocampo Memorial College

Mhel_Garrido
04-18-2008, 06:52 PM
The start of the 2008-2009 season for the Olympians only says one thing-back to the drawing board.
Five players from last year and twelve new faces comprise this year's team. In their first game in the Fr. Martin's Cup the Olympians got clobbered to the tune of a 56-70 defeat in the hands of the De Ocampo College Cagers.

The signature defense of the Olympians was non existent as the De OCampo ballers caught the Olympians napping as they pulled down countless offensive rebounds and sank many unchallenged shots. If the defense was non existent, the offense was a total chaos.

The road to respectability starts again as the 12 new faces try to gel with each other and the veterans. At this point the Olympians need a lot of tune up games to be able to plug the holes in their defense because at the end of the day it will all boil down to how fast they become a TEAM once again. Stay tuned..i hope there will be less bad games.

Mhel_Garrido
04-30-2008, 08:41 AM
The Olympians lost their APril 24 game against UCN 74-72. According to the players, although they lost they played a better game. Again the purpose of joining this league is to simulate game plans and how the players will respond, on the brighter side, cohesion is still far but the players are improving and getting there.
Unfortunately, the Olympians have heavyweights in their next assignments as they go up against the defending champion Arellano University which beat them in the semifinals last year and the St. Francis of Assisi Doves.

FRIDAY, MAY 2, 2008 at Arellano-Legarda
10:30 am STI vs. Arellano

FRIDAY, MAY 16, 2008 at Arellano-Legarda
1:30 pm S.F.A.C. vs. STI

Stay tuned

Joescoundrel
04-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Mhel could you post your current lineup along with the heights and positions?

nastrans
05-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Mhel,

I heard from Lenon Lasin that he will join STI this season and is playing in the FMC.

AnthonyServinio
05-02-2008, 09:24 PM
* * *TWO players of note that have been recruited to beef up the STI Olympians' NAASCU title defense are Martin Antonio of San Beda and one-time UE Warrior Raymond Leyga via STI-De Los Santos.* With the future in mind, Coach Victor Ycasiano has taken in a bunch of young recruits from Cagayan de Oro, including the best player of STI-CdO.

Mhel_Garrido
05-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks Anthony, as of now we are already preparing for the next 3-4 years by getting a young bunch of players.
The veterans who will help the team will be there just so we will be competitive. A realistic target is NAASCU final four and bahala na diyos after that.

Hope our new players will develop into fine ballers in time.

bchoter
05-15-2008, 04:02 PM
* * *TWO players of note that have been recruited to beef up the STI Olympians' NAASCU title defense are Martin Antonio of San Beda and one-time UE Warrior Raymond Leyga via STI-De Los Santos.* With the future in mind, Coach Victor Ycasiano has taken in a bunch of young recruits from Cagayan de Oro, including the best player of STI-CdO.
He was a former Tigercub who spurned the Tigers. He showed great promise with the UE Warriors but, unfortunately, he suffered a career-threatening injury. I hope he gets back to his old form and contribute to STI's cause.

christian
05-15-2008, 05:24 PM

Sir Anthony, graduate na ba si Martin? Nakakalito naman...

mighty_lion
05-15-2008, 08:09 PM

Ngayon ko lang nakita ito. I thought he is aiming for a basketball analyst/host career.

Mhel_Garrido
05-16-2008, 11:20 AM
TWO players of note that have been recruited to beef up the STI Olympians' NAASCU title defense are Martin Antonio of San Beda and one-time UE Warrior Raymond Leyga via STI-De Los Santos. With the future in mind, Coach Victor Ycasiano has taken in a bunch of young recruits from Cagayan de Oro, including the best player of STI-CdO.

Ngayon ko lang nakita ito. I thought he is aiming for a basketball analyst/host career.

Coach VIc Ycasiano has basketball in his blood. He also sidelines as a commentator on television because of his intellect and charisma. Besides that he also coaches the Southville High School Basketball team and was deputy commissioner to Ed Cordero in season 70 of the UAAP. That just shows his versatility. At saka Mighty Lion, you should be proud coz he is a Bedan!

Mhel_Garrido
05-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Mhel,

I heard from Lenon Lasin that he will join STI this season and is playing in the FMC.

Since our two lead point guards from last year's team did not make the age cut, (both are 24 by the start of the season) we are in dire need of a reliable point guard. Lenon is now playing as the lead guard of STI in the FMC. Unless we have a younger PG who can contribute rightaway then I believe he will suit up for us in the NAASCU.

nastrans
05-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Mhel,

Lasin will be a great addition at the point if he indeed makes the NAASCU ranks.

Another Patriot has turned into an Olympian. :)

Mhel_Garrido
05-20-2008, 04:39 PM
Nastrans,

Bow ako sa mga players niyo! All of them who transferred and played with STI showed tremendous discipline and
lahat go hard. Kaya nga whenever Coach Vic tells me na meron gusto lumipat from DLS-Dasma to STI, as long as may lugar sa line up ni Coach may go signal kagad ako.

Actually, the only thing going against Lasin is 23 na siya which means baka this season lang siya makalaro if ever.
Lets see, 80 days to go before the season opens. Marami pa pwede mangyari.

nastrans
05-20-2008, 09:59 PM
Basically the team is made up for a run-and-gun and a team that emphasizes on defense, medyo over the past few years naglagged kami sa depensa dahil sa lack of manpower and also madalas magchoke sa end game.

But individually there good, talented, etc. although the discipline part I dont know dahil minsan napapaaway sila but bihira lang mainvolve sa ganyan, madalas yung mga ibang players. Pero tutal si coach Vic iyan at matotone down naman niya siguro sila.

As for Lasin, oo may katandaan nga lang at hopefully di rin macontest siya sa eligibility because he had played for so long in DLSU-D.

Mhel_Garrido
05-28-2008, 11:30 PM
Mhel could you post your current lineup along with the heights and positions?

Post ko na lang kung final na..baka may changes pa kasi august pa nga ang NAASCU and we are still finalizing the last 5 slots of the team.

Mhel_Garrido
05-29-2008, 07:47 PM
Just this morning in a practice game the Olympians beat the UST Growling Tigers.
Obviously Jervy Cruz didnt play. Since I was not able to watch I will just give details again
on who played when I get a report on the game

Mhel_Garrido
05-30-2008, 11:02 PM
Our recruitment has taken us to Cagayan de Oro, Laguna and Ormoc but I think we have reserved the best for last.
Coach Vic Y will be going to Cebu to talk to two cagers who i hope will join our campaign this year.
I hope that he will bring good news coz if these two join us, we will be opening the doors for STI to recruit from CEBU.
WIll just keep you guys posted as time permits.

Mhel_Garrido
06-07-2008, 09:07 PM
The STI College Olympians ended their campaign with a win against new NAASCU Member INFORMATICS .
The win placed the Olympians at 11th place. From the reports I have been getting, I believe the two months training of the Olympians is right on track.Blending the five returnees with the twelve newcomers is no easy job, the team lost a lot of tune up games and FMC games but more importantly gained the needed experience in those games going to
the last two months of preparation.

We hope that the next two months will be enough for the new batch of Olympians to get back to the groove that won the NAASCU last year.

Mhel_Garrido
06-17-2008, 09:04 PM
The STI College Olympians have 12 new faces for this years' NAASCU and the best way to grasp the system of play of the Olympians is to play a lot of tune up games. Two weeks running, I got word ( Iwas sick) that we beat UST, PErpetual Help and Don Bosco Mandaluyong. Like what I mentioned last summer, we were not a team yet then so i guess everything is coming into its rightful place. Hopefully we can learn a lot from the different tune ups we will have
so that we will be ready come the NAASCU.

The Olympians next practice game will be against the College of Saint Benilde on thursday.
Good luck Guys.

Mhel_Garrido
06-18-2008, 11:34 PM
Game vs CSB Resked for saturday

bchoter
06-23-2008, 07:22 PM
^ The Tigers should be grateful to coach Vic for accepting the USt invite for a tune-up game. Suking suki talaga.

Mhel_Garrido
06-23-2008, 08:18 PM
Talo Olympians sa CSB, tomorrow UST TUne up game hope to see you there Bchoter...

Hope the Olympians play well, manunuod ako eh ehehe.

bchoter
06-23-2008, 08:19 PM
:( I'm not sure I can make it but I'll PM you my cell number just in case.

Mhel_Garrido
06-24-2008, 08:48 PM
UST won against STI today 94-82

The Olympians played catch up from opening tip. The Tigers even led by 34 points but the Olympians closed the
fourth quarter with a 22-0 run to end the game. SImilar to how they ended the first half.

Power Forward Ramon Mabayo and last year's third string guard Alvin Macabasco led the way for the Olympians.
Other Veterans Mike Cabangon and WIlliam Vasallo also contributed well together with Center Darryl Mendoza who guarded UAAP MVP Jervy Cruz.

It was a nice tune up for the Olympians as it exposed chinks in their armor specially during their pressure defense and execution of plays.

Its still a long climb to respectability.

Mhel_Garrido
06-29-2008, 12:06 AM
The verdict is out, the STI College Olympians were voted as the number 14 Metro Manila team

http://bleachersbrew.blogspot.com/2008/06/blog-post_26.html

Mhel_Garrido
07-01-2008, 01:00 PM
In a practice game against the UP Maroons last friday
The Olympians got 26 points from veteran Michael Cabangon to lead the Olympians to a
77-74 win against the fighting Maroons.

Although I wasnt there to watch I am happy we were able to win this one.

Mhel_Garrido
07-05-2008, 11:13 PM
In a practice game against the Tagaytay Cavite Liga Pilipinas team the Olympians lost 70-59.
It was a welcome reunion for former Olympian Haddi Porto who is now playing for the Tagaytay team

The Olympians take a respite as they invade Cavite for a team building session.

paul0220
07-08-2008, 07:47 AM
TWO players of note that have been recruited to beef up the STI Olympians' NAASCU title defense are Martin Antonio of San Beda and one-time UE Warrior Raymond Leyga via STI-De Los Santos. With the future in mind, Coach Victor Ycasiano has taken in a bunch of young recruits from Cagayan de Oro, including the best player of STI-CdO.

May we know kung sino sino yung mga recruits from CDO?

Mhel_Garrido
07-08-2008, 09:22 AM

May we know kung sino sino yung mga recruits from CDO?

The screening of the NAASCU is next week. ONce they give a nod with our lineup we will post the final line up
here.
Thanks for your interest in our team

Mhel_Garrido
07-11-2008, 06:17 PM
The Olympians beat the EAC Generals the other day 100-66 in one of the practice games of the Olympians.
Tomorrow they play the Laguna team.

michael_dels
07-17-2008, 05:58 PM
cno po yung mga player na galing cagayan de oro?

Joescoundrel
07-22-2008, 10:36 AM
^ Baka si Papot Paredes ...

paul0220
07-22-2008, 10:46 AM
^ Baka si Papot Paredes ...
High school pa yun and pang Beda yun..

christian
07-22-2008, 01:24 PM
^pumasok na ba? :D

The_Big_Cat
07-22-2008, 01:50 PM
^pumasok na ba?* :D

^Hanggang CR lang daw. ;D

michael_dels
08-02-2008, 06:02 PM
wla pa din ba update sa line up nyo?

myktristan
08-04-2008, 03:03 PM
STI begins title defense
http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php?issue=2008-08-04&sec=7&aid=68969

Games Aug. 8
(Rizal Coliseum)
12 nn -- STI vs. UM
1:30 p.m. -- St. Clare vs. CEU
3 p.m. -- PLP vs. Umak
4:30 p.m. -- New Era vs. AMA
6 p.m. -- Holy Angel vs. Informatics
(UM gym)
2 p.m. -- SSC-Cavite vs. Lyceum-Subic

DEFENDING champion STI College is still the favorite but 11 other teams are expected to fight it out for top honors when the eighth National Athletic Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (NAASCU) basketball tournament comes off the wraps on Friday, Aug. 8, at the Rizal Coliseum.

STI will begin its campaign for a second straight title when it meets five-time titlist University of Manila in the featured match at 12 noon after a colorful opening ceremony to be highlighted by the traditional parade of teams and the selection of the Mr. and Ms. NAASCU.

NAASCU president Dr. Ernesto Jay Adalem of St. Clare College and NAASCU senior adviser Atty. Ernesto de los Santos of UM will lead the opening ceremony.

This year, two new member-schools will also make their much-awaited debuts -- Informatics and Lyceum of Subic Bay.

Other opening-day matches will pit St. Clare College against Centro Escolar University at 1:30 p.m., Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Pasay against University of Makati at 3 p.m., New Era University against 2006 champion AMA Computer University at 4:30 p.m. and Holy Angel University against Informatics at 6 p.m.

Over at the UM gym, San Sebastian College-Cavite and Lyceum clash in the lone game at 2 p.m.

STI and UM clashed in the best-of-three title showdown last year, with the Olympians of coach Vic Ycasiano sweeping the Hawks of coach Loreto “Ato” Tolentino, 86-72 and 81-75.

And although STI lost three of its most dependable scorers from last year’s winning team -- MVP awardee Dexter Micutuan, Haddi Porto and Howard Flor -- Ycasiano expressed confidence that the Olympians will be able to put up a good fight in their title defense.

Leading the Olympians are Ramon Mabayo, Michale Cabangon and Daryl Mendoza.

The Hawks, on the other hand, will troop to the floor for the first time since the league’s inception minus long time coach Tolentino, who retired this year.

Tolentino was responsible for leading the Hawks to five straight NAASCU titles from 200 to 2005.

But another veteran mentor, Francis Rodriguez, has been personally tapped to take the place of Tolentino beginning this year.

Rodriguez will rely on Onofre Napiza, Russel Asuncion, Nixon Baroman, Kevin Dave Rabalo and Ryeon Delostrinos.

Nine teams are seeing action in the junior division, while six teams are vying in the women’s division.

Mhel_Garrido
08-06-2008, 05:14 PM
THE 2008-2009 STI COLLEGE OLYMPIANS

NAME-POSITION-HEIGHT-AGE-HIGH SCHOOL
1. JAY ARANSAZO, Guard, 6’0, 22 Years Old, Las Piñas North National HS, Metro Manila
2. MICHAEL CABANGON, Forward, 6’0, 23 Years Old, North Western Visayan Colleges, Kalibo Aklan
3. OSCAR CRISOSTOMO, GUARD, 5’9, 20 Years Old, UST, Metro Manila
4. MICHAEL DAANOY, FORWARD, 6’2, 20 Years Old, Cagayan de Oro HS, Cagayan de Oro
5. BRYAN DAGUPLO, FORWARD, 6’2, 20 Years Old, Lapasan National HS, Cagayan de Oro
6. ARNOLD DANGANAN, GUARD, 6’1, 22 Years Old, Betis High School, Pampanga
7. NORMAN IHALAS, GUARD, 5’9, 20 Years Old, Pilgrim Christian College, Cagayan de Oro
8. ELJOHN LIMPIN, GUARD, 5’11, 18 Years Old, Aurora State College of Technology, Aurora
9. RAMON MABAYO, FORWARD, 6’2, Years Old OLD, G. Araneta University Foundation, Metro Manila
10. MARK ALVIN MACABASCO, GUARD, 5’7, 22 Years Old , St. James College , Quezon City
11. DARRYL MENDOZA, CENTER, 6’5, 23 Years Old, PCU-Dasmariñas, Cavite
12. PUAL SABACAHAN, GUARD, 6’0, 16 Years Old, Corpus Christi HS, Cagayan de Oro
13. MACLEAN SABELLINA, FORWARD, 6’4, 19 Years Old, Matangad National HS, Cagayan de Oro
14. WILLIAM VASALLO, FORWARD, 6’3, 23 Years Old, Infant Jesus Academy, Quezon City
15. RAFFY WAMINAL, FORWARD, 6’3, 20 Years Old, Talakag Natioanl HS, Cagayan de Oro
16. THOMAS JOHN WASHINGTON, Center, 6’4, 22 Years Old, Angeles University Foundation, Pampanga

bchoter
08-06-2008, 05:42 PM
^ Chief, alagaan niyo si Nonoy ha. I'm looking forward to his match up against the UST B boys. He's schooled the likes of Milan Vargas and Andrew Felix in practice. He really has game. It's just that he never got the trust of the coaching staff. Paborito ko yan (sana bawas bawasan lang niya ang gulang :D)

sajubeads
08-07-2008, 09:42 PM

* * * * NAME-POSITION-HEIGHT-AGE-HIGH SCHOOL
1. JAY ARANSAZO, Guard, 6’0, 22 Years Old, Las Piñas North National HS, Metro Manila
2. MICHAEL CABANGON, Forward, 6’0, 23 Years Old, North Western Visayan Colleges, Kalibo Aklan
4. MICHAEL DAANOY, FORWARD, 6’2, 20 Years Old, Cagayan de Oro HS, Cagayan de Oro
5. BRYAN DAGUPLO, FORWARD, 6’2, 20 Years Old, Lapasan National HS, Cagayan de Oro
7. NORMAN IHALAS, GUARD, 5’9, 20 Years Old, Pilgrim Christian College, Cagayan de Oro
8. ELJOHN LIMPIN, GUARD, 5’11, 18 Years Old, Aurora State College of Technology, Aurora
9. RAMON MABAYO, FORWARD, 6’2, Years Old OLD, G. Araneta University Foundation, Metro Manila
10. MARK ALVIN MACABASCO, GUARD, 5’7, 22 Years Old , St. James College , Quezon City
13. MACLEAN SABELLINA, FORWARD, 6’4, 19 Years Old, Matangad National HS, Cagayan de Oro
14. WILLIAM VASALLO, FORWARD, 6’3, 23 Years Old, Infant Jesus Academy, Quezon City
15. RAFFY WAMINAL, FORWARD, 6’3, 20 Years Old, Talakag Natioanl HS, Cagayan de Oro
16. THOMAS JOHN WASHINGTON, Center, 6’4, 22 Years Old, Angeles University Foundation, Pampanga

I have been to AUF , as far as i can recall there was no Washington in the previous varsity team of the great DANES( 2006-2008) but i did see a tall 3 ponit shooting Fil Am practicing with the team from June to July. There was another Fil Am in AUF but his name is Carney.

nastrans
08-07-2008, 10:33 PM
So Lenon Lasin didn't make it to the lineup? Closest bet is either he wasn't good or the eligibility committee took a review on his previous playing years with DLSU-Dasmarinas.

And isn't Aransazo played for PMMS prior to his arrival with STI?

Mhel_Garrido
08-09-2008, 09:03 AM

15. RAFFY WAMINAL, FORWARD, 6’3, 20 Years Old, Talakag National HS, Cagayan de Oro

I have been to AUF , as far as i can recall there was no Washington in the previous varsity team of the great DANES( 2006-2008) but i did see a tall 3 ponit shooting Fil Am practicing with the team from June to July. There was another Fil Am in AUF but his name is Carney.

If you look at the post it says there High School, any Washington said that he came from that school. he is tall and havent played much, we are actually looking for a back up center and he is the closest we got. I am not sure if he played for AUF. Havent spoken much to the boy but we'll see.

Mhel_Garrido
08-09-2008, 09:07 AM
^ Chief, alagaan niyo si Nonoy ha. I'm looking forward to his match up against the UST B boys. He's schooled the likes of Milan Vargas and Andrew Felix in practice. He really has game. It's just that he never got the trust of the coaching staff. Paborito ko yan (sana bawas bawasan lang niya ang gulang :D)

Yeah, he is a nice kid. In one of our meetings he really mentioned that if possible he wants to study in STI and hopefully make his name as a varsity player in our league. In the system of Coach Vic he is slowly learning what is needed, but i think come the mid part of our season he will slowly get the groove of things and then be the starting point.

Ganon naman talaga ang basketball, some coaches neglect other players because they do not do what the coaches want but in other teams with different scenarios and different emphasis points a player suddenly blossoms. Sana ganon ang mangyari sa kanya.

Enjoy naman siya sa amin and hopefully he will carry the team to greater heights.

Mhel_Garrido
08-09-2008, 09:14 AM
So Lenon Lasin didn't make it to the lineup? Closest bet is either he wasn't good or the eligibility committee took a review on his previous playing years with DLSU-Dasmarinas.

And isn't Aransazo played for PMMS prior to his arrival with STI?

Lenon is okay naman but isang taon lang kasi siya maglalaro for STI if ever. Between him and someone who we can mold for another three years we decided to get the younger one. He was good in practices but Coach Vic needed a lot more from him and during his stint with us the team was not yet playing as a team, that is why he had a hard time living up to the coach's expectations.

I believe Aransazo is the guy from PMMS

nastrans
08-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Salamat Mhel,

BTW, maganda depensa niyo kahapon against UM although the game was a hotly-contested (literally) physical encounter.

thadzonline
08-09-2008, 11:29 AM
congrats, great start!

Mhel_Garrido
08-09-2008, 05:19 PM
STI COLLEGE OLYMPIANS

The STI College Olympians beat the University of Manila Hawks 80 - 68 in the opener of the 8th National Athletic Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities (NAASCU). Both teams are touted as the teams that will slug it out in another finals come October. The Hawks won their fifth title at the expense of the Olympians in 2005 but lost it to the same team last year. The Olympians were the veteran team last year while the Hawks were bannered by a lot of rookies. These players have matured and the core of their first five is still intact which made them the favorites this year. The Hawks also have a new coach in veteran Francis Rodriguez who has now replaced multi titled Ato Tolentino who was also given a NAASCU achievement award.

The Olympians relied on the game long hustle, defensive intensity and brilliance of mythical 5 member Ramon Mabayo who scored 20 points. Daryl Mendoza, Mike Cabangon, William Vasallo and Alvin Macabasco, the only other players left from last year's team, helped both in defense and offense as their new recruits more than held their own. Arnold Danganan, a prized find from Pampanga in the mold of anothe Mabayo, scored 18 points to complement the good game of the team's veterans. The Olympians controlled most of the game as they raced to a 54-46 lead at the end of the third quarter and never looked back after that.

The Hawks were led by former Rookie of the Year and mythical 5 selectee Jun Napiza with 24 points, Chris Guimpatan with 14 and Ryeon delos Trinos who has 12. Visibly missing in their rotation was last year's Rookie of the year Reggie Malinao who had only 2 points and fouled out.

This is a good start for the Olympians and hopefully they sustain this momentum to the finals. It's still very early but we believe that it will be another STI vs UM finals - part 3!

paul0220
08-10-2008, 10:18 PM

Raffy Waminal has already played college ball in Pilgrim Christian College...

King_stag
08-13-2008, 04:31 PM
STI, St. Clare open NAASCU tiff with victories

DEFENDING National Athletic Association of Schools, Colleges and Universities champion Systems Technology Institute College opened the 2008 season the same way it ended last year.

STI beat five-time titlists University of Manila Hawks, 80-68, to launch its title-retention bid on high note in the 8th NAASCU men’s basketball last August 8, 2008 at the Rizal Coliseum.

PBL veteran forward Ramon Mabayo and rookie guard Arnold Danganan scored 19 points each for the Vic Ycasiano-mentored Olympians, who swept the Hawks, 2-0, in their best-of-three title showdown last year.

Mabayo scored six points while slotman Daryl Mendoza added five in the payoff period to clinch the win before a jampacked crowd.

Onofre Napiza finished with 21 points for the Hawks, who are now playing under new coach Francis Rodriguez. Rodriguez replaced ex-Philippine Christian University champion coach Ato Tolentino.

Christian Guimpatan added 14 points, Ryeon delos Trinos contributed 12 and Russen Asuncion had 10 for UM. Key player Reggie Malinao, who is projected by many to be one of the Hawks’ go-to-guys, was held to only two points.

Equally impressive was St. Clare College Caloocan Saints, which routed the Centro Escolar University Scorpions, 79-66.

P. Coronel scattered 19 points to lead the Saints of coach Jimmy Mariano to an opening-day victory.

Jerico Magno led the Mendiola-based dribblers with 24 points.

This year’s NAASCU cast also includes the AMA Computer University Titans, San Sebastian College-Recoletos Cavite Baycats, Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Pasay Eagles, Holy Angel University Flyers, University of Makati Hardy Herons, New Era University Hunters and newcomers Informatics Icons and Lyceum of Subic Bay Sharks.

The scores

First game

STI 80 – Mabayo 19, Danganan 19, Mendoza 8, Cabangon 6, Sarellina 6, Vasallo 5, Arazanzo 5, Ibalas 5, Macabasco 4, Waniwal 0, Crisostomo 0.

UM 68 – Napiza 21, Guimpatan 14, delos Trinos 12, Asuncion 10, Paguio 3, De Rosas 3, Sadsad 2, Malinao 2, Dagala 2, Bucalen 0, Hernandez 0, Baroman 0, Cerico 0, Cantollas 0.

Quarter scores: 15-19, 37-35, 62-54, 80-68.

Second game

St. Clare 79 – P. Coronel 19, Sibal 13, Role 12, Opalia 10, Nacienador 10, Manio 7, Fajardo 4, A. Coronel 3, Dizon 1, Pariñas 1.

Mhel_Garrido
08-14-2008, 10:57 AM

YEs and so are the 3 others..so that others will not be misled, we just put kung saan high school sila galing...all of them are transferees kasi wala naman kaming high school or juniors team na pagkukuhanan
thanks

joelex
08-14-2008, 11:52 AM

* * * * NAME-POSITION-HEIGHT-AGE-HIGH SCHOOL

YEs and so are the 3 others..so that others will not be misled, we just put kung saan high school sila galing...all of them are transferees kasi wala naman kaming high school or juniors team na pagkukuhanan
thanks

maybe you could state also from what colleges the said transferees came from..thanks

Mhel_Garrido
08-14-2008, 01:00 PM
OLYMPIANS LOSE TWO IN A ROW

The DLSU Green Archers and San Beda College Red Lions are having difficulties defending their UAAP and NCAA crowns respectively. As cliche as it may be but defending the crown as they say is easier said than done since all schools are forced to play their "A-Game" when they face the defending champs. Both these schools have already two defeats with the Red Lions adding another loss from the board room. Add to this list the defending champs of the NAASCU, the STI College Olympians who made an impressive opening day debut by thrashing 5 time league champs University of Manila Hawks but got a monumental upset from their 2006 tormentors - the AMACU Titans, and followed it up by a loss from last year's third placers - the San Sebastian Cavite Baycats.

STI COLLEGE 63 - AMACU 74
It was the perfect time for an upset, the Olympians were coming from a rousing win and ace scorer Mike Cabangon is serving a one game suspension from a closed fist foul in that opening tiff. STI main man Ramon Mabayo was nowhere to be found on opening tip as the Titans jumped the gun on the Olympians rightaway by burying two three pointers and a basket to start 8-0. The Titans relentless shooting and unselfish play gave them an early 19-7 lead which they never relinquished. Back in the starring role for the Titans is their speedy point guard Robbie Zablan who toyed with every Olympian guard tasked to guard him. Mabayo arrived late and was fielded in the second quarter, unfortunately it was not enough to stem the tide for the Olympians as Zablan quelled all rally attempts of the Olympians as he sank two crucial three pointers in the pay off quarter that doused cold water on the Olympian's rally.

The result was a 74-63 win which the Titans rightly deserved. The Olympians on the other hand lost steam, were slow to react and were never the same team that won over the Hawks. Defense and hustle were the key in that win since the Titans lost 2006 MVP and Coach Boni Garcia from their team. The Titans have redeemed themselves from the opening day disgrace as they lost by default after the team brought the wrong set of uniforms. This time around they brought the right one, had the right attitude and eventually the right result in their game against their archrivals.

STI COLLEGE 78 - SAN SEBASTIAN CAVITE 84

If you were to write a movie script about this game the title of the movie would be CLASH OF THE TITANS! In the game there were bodies sprawling, high flying acts, countless banging of bodies and endless shouting of instructions as both teams would not let up nor blink for the action might just pass by them. The last time these two teams met, the Baycats got a royal beating via a 30 game rout and most of their players got hit here and there by physical game the Olympians employed. This time around, with fire in their eyes, the Baycats had fangs and sharpened paws as Kristopher Lucernas scored the insurance basket off the last foul of STI slotman Darryl Mendoza to give the Baycats an 84-78 win over the defending champions.

The game was close all throughout with neither team leading by more than 6 points. Oliver Villareal, Ricardo Gracilla and John Pantonia led the Baycats assault as Villareal sank countless three pointers and were all active on the defensive end that caught the flatfooted Olympians. The first quarter ended with the Baycats ahead 17-16. In the second quarter it was the turn of the Olympians to run and gun as they also played good defense, attacked the San Sebastian press and ended the second quarter with a 43 - 40 lead.

The second half was more of a catch me if you can event as STI would lead by 5 points and San Sebastian would catch up when the Olympians sleep on defense and the Baycats would score a three pointer. The crucial part of the game came when the Olympians were leading by four 74-70 with two minutes left and were forced to three consecutive turnovers which the Baycats capitalized on to level the score at 74-all. Then after STI failed to convert, the Baycats sank a cold blooded three pointer to give them enough distance to seal get their third straight win.

The Baycats, who we can also call "Ninjas" stormed to their third straight win while the STI College Olympians are now 1 - 2. Next stop for the Olympians are two perennial cellar dwellers, the University of Makati Hardy Herons and Holy Angels University. THe road back to respectability seems like a long one and hopefully the Olympians can get back rightaway.

Wang-Bu
08-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Sir Mhel, tila ginagahasa ng malas mga bata mo, dalawang masamang talo inabot niyo sa kasalukuyang NAASCU. May problema ba ang Olympians? O di kaya may iniindang injury ang ilang player ninyo? Parang malamya ang dating kasi.

thadzonline
08-14-2008, 04:39 PM
wow, DLSU, SBC and STi having a hard time defending their crowns...ganun din UV, defending champ dito sa Cebu starting off with a loss to last year's bridesmaids USC..However, they were luckier as they survived two big scares from 2 unheralded teams, escaping listless USPF only in the final seconds of their game and shaking off a stubborn Don Bosco only in the last 5 minutes of play

Mhel_Garrido
08-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Sir Mhel, tila ginagahasa ng malas mga bata mo, dalawang masamang talo inabot niyo sa kasalukuyang NAASCU. May problema ba ang Olympians? O di kaya may iniindang injury ang ilang player ninyo? Parang malamya ang dating kasi.

So far walang injury naman. (At sana wag na magkaron) Its just that the two teams we faced outhustled us. Parang ambibigat ng paa ng mga players namin. We had a hard time matching the intensity and hustle of AMA, while sa San Sebastian naman breaks of the game. the last one minute they converted and we didnt as simple as that.

BOttomline you cannot take any team for granted and I hope we learn from our mistakes. No excuses.

Mhel_Garrido
09-30-2008, 06:03 PM
OLYMPIANS TAKE GAME 1 OF BEST OF THREE SERIES

Oscar Crisostomo sank a cold blooded three pointer in the last 35.5 seconds to give the STI College Olympians its first taste of the lead and eventually the win as the Olympians eked out a 75-72 win to take game 1 of the best of three series of the 8th National Athletic Association of SChools Colleges and Universities (NAASCU) at the Makati COliseum. Crisostomo also sank the insurance basket as the Olympians shutdown the Baycats offense by limiting them to just two free throws and at the same time forcing them to 5 turnovers and five missed three pointers in the last 5 minutes.

At the start of the first quarter it looked like the San Sebastian Baycats would have a walk in the park as their three pointers were going in and their pressure defense was working wonders. The Baycats opened up a 26-11 first quarter lead which gave them enough breathing room as the Olympians missed 7 first quarter free throws. The Olympians worked hard to bring down the lead to seven points by the third quarter 59-52 as the Olympians went to their main man Ramon Mabayo.

The Olympians played without Norman Ihalas and Arnold Danganan who were thrown out in the game against Lyceum. Mike Cabangon, who turned 24 two weeks ago was also in the sidelines.

Game 2 is on thursday at 12:30 pm at the Makati Coliseum.

nastrans
10-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Tough break for the Olympians, another second place finish.

Baste-Cavite had STI's numbers in this series, they were unstoppable on offense especially with the running game while several players weren't consistent in the end.

Still, congrats to STI for its runner-up finish and for another strong season.

thadzonline
10-04-2008, 11:46 PM
hmm? did they lose Game 3 to the Baycats?

Mhel_Garrido
10-05-2008, 12:09 AM
STI College still stood proud as second placers in this year's NAASCU.

The story of the game is the 23 missed free throws of the Olympians. That gave the win and the title to SSC.
Congrats to the tough SSC team! Kris Lucernas, their do it all center was named MVP of the 8th NAASCU.
He together with Jun Gracilla, Richmond Sibal, JJ Collado and Ramon Mabayo comprise this year's NAASCU Mythical 5.

For STI, it is still okay to place second considering the fact that our realistic goal was to make it to the final four.
STI lost 12 players from last year's team and had 11 rookies on the team but still made it to the finals.
If the age limit was not changed, then the likes of 7th Season MVP Dexter Micutuan, Mark Balneg, Manuel Juan and James Tolentino would have been in this team. Mike Cabangon also missed the last six games of the Olympians but they still made it to the finals.

. Mac Macabasco and William Vasallo were two bench players last year and played only when the other games were already out of reach. This year Mac became the starting point guard while WIlliam took the slot vacated by Dexter Micutuan. We are happy that they improved by leaps and bounds. STI lost three key players in game one of the finals but still beat the Baycats. In the end, the heart of the boys led me to believe that after all has been said and done, they have defied the odds to get to this position. At least only one team is better than us this year.

To Ramon, Mike, Darryl and William, thanks for all the times you have made us proud and for your contributions to the STI team. Even though we lost today, I believe that we will rise again and come out on top.

To the rest of the NAASCU, its the most exciting part of the year, recruitment time. Unahan na lang hehe, its the best NAASCU season ever (sayang lang talo STI) and hope to see you again next year.

Joescoundrel
10-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Mhel how about some party pics from last night...? ;D

thadzonline
10-08-2008, 10:40 PM
good luck sa wildcard pareng mhel...sana magkaabot tayo sa PCCL hehe

Mhel_Garrido
10-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Mhel how about some party pics from last night...? ;D

Pakita ko na lang sa iyo hehe konti lang kasi and hindi ko nakunan si Triple Threat
The Olympians had a great time and nag enjoy sa party
considering second place pa lang sila non hehehe