PDA

View Full Version : Presenting: The UAAP ENFORCERS!!!

Dark Knight
04-04-2008, 06:48 PM
You know what i mean. ;D Whether you love 'em or hate 'em. :D Players that will hurt YOUR players if they have to. ;) Im speaking of the Ricky Relosa's or Rudy Distriro's out there.

ADMU - Martin Quimson
DLSU - Jerwin Gaco, Brian Ilad
FEU - Riel Cervantes, JR Dela Cruz
UP - Ira Buyco (wooohoooo)
UE - Jaworski ;D

marmand
04-04-2008, 07:25 PM
ADMU - Gabby Cui, Rico Villanueva
Adamson - Hate ( Dont remember first name )
UE - Arnold Booker ;D
DLSU - Ryan Arana :o
NU - Lingao-Lingao
UST - Jervy Cruz

Dark Knight
04-04-2008, 08:09 PM
That would be JOJO Hate. ;)

bchoter
04-04-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't think Jervy qualifies as an enforces. Yes, he gives as much as he takes (ask Ilad) but I don't think he is an enforcer. He's not in the league of former Tiger Jeff Valeriano...

aircanda
04-04-2008, 10:04 PM
That would be JOJO Hate. ;)

Yung sumira ng ring kaya hinde natuloy ang game.. ;D

Dark Knight
04-05-2008, 12:03 PM
That would be JOJO Hate.* ;)

Yung sumira ng ring kaya hinde natuloy ang game..* ;D

Is that you Dominique Wilkins? or was it Moses Malone? ;D

Dark Knight
04-05-2008, 12:06 PM
I forgot the innocent Rico Maierhoffer. :D

aircanda
04-05-2008, 12:20 PM
I forgot the innocent Rico Maierhoffer. :D

naalala ko ung gigil na gigil siya makabawi ng butata kay Japhet.. ulo na lang ni Pahet ang inasinta..

if Japhet stayed in the UAAP, those two would have classic encounters.. defensive slugfest ika nga... sayang ;D

marmand
04-05-2008, 01:07 PM
^ Dunks and Blocks galore! :o

The_Big_Cat
04-05-2008, 01:45 PM
Estong Ballesteros of UST.

batangueño
04-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Bakit wala yata sa listahan si Mark Fampulme? ;D

The_Big_Cat
04-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Bakit wala yata sa listahan si Mark Fampulme? ;D

He just played one UAAP season.

Mar Morelos and Braulio Lim of the UE Warriors. They were the bruise brothers version in the collegiate ranks in the early '90s

marmand
04-06-2008, 03:34 PM
How about Badjie Del Rosario of Ateneo. He was small but never backed down on a challenge from guys bigger then him. Rudy Distrito type of a player. ;D

a_ron
04-06-2008, 05:21 PM
ADMU -Gabby CUi

Joescoundrel
04-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Ateneo: Frank Harn, Sep Canlas, Jett Nieto, Mel Basa, Albert Mendoza, Rico Santiago, Jean Alabanza, Ryan Pamintuan, Enrico Villanueva

Lasalle: Rafa Dinglasan, Adonis Sta Maria, Jerwin Gaco

Adamson: Apollo Lim, Jojo Hate

UST: Edmund Reyes, Jeff Valeriano, Gelo Velasco

UP: Joey Mendoza, Ira Buyco, Abe Santos

FEU: Dodong Postanes, Edwin Manabat

UE: Sonny Jaworski, Roel Nadurata, Rudy Distrito, Jun Mariquit, Dennis Lim, Jumbo Cruz, Verne Villarias

NU: Cris Bolado, Joseph Lingaolingao, Rocky Sanchez

The_Big_Cat
04-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Glenn Capacio was one hell of a defender for FEU.

marmand
04-07-2008, 11:54 AM
How about Mike Baldos? He has not proven it yet but He has the tools to be an enforcer.

stonecold316
04-07-2008, 12:59 PM

I don't think Estong qualifies as an enforcer. Tough defender lang siya at wala siyang intention manakit.

UST - Jeff Valeriano. He played during the 1999 season. Best friends sila ni Rich Alvarez who was a rookie back then.

stonecold316

The_Big_Cat
04-07-2008, 01:06 PM

I don't think Estong qualifies as an enforcer. Tough defender lang siya at wala siyang intention manakit.

UST - Jeff Valeriano. He played during the 1999 season. Best friends sila ni Rich Alvarez who was a rookie back then.

stonecold316

Ballesteros was the enoforcer of that UST team of 1995 and 1996. Joaqui Trillo, then commentating the UAAP, often got irritated with some of Estong's plays.

stonecold316
04-07-2008, 01:15 PM

stonecold316

Ballesteros was the enoforcer of that UST team of 1995 and 1996.* Joaqui Trillo, then commentating the UAAP, often got irritated with some of Estong's plays.

Ano pa aasahan natin kay Joaqio Trillo eh bias sa La Salle yan. Like I said, tough defender lang si Estong when he was still playing for UST in the mid 90s. Ang enforcer talagang may intention manakit pero si Estong wala sa calibre niya iyon. Sa Tigers, mabibilang mo sa kamay ang mga players na hinahaluan ng kabalbalan ang pagdedepensa nila. Hindi tinuturo sa players ang manakit ng kapwa player.

stonecold316

bchoter
04-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Ano nga ba ang ibig sabihin pag 'enforcer'? I see enforces in the mold of a Jawo, Vic 'Rambo' Sanchez, Rudy 'Destroyer' Distrito, etc. where physical and mental intimidation is part of their reps.

Pasintabi pareng Joe but I think Edmund Reyes was more of a rugged defender who does the dirty job for the team not so different from Allan Evangelista in season 69. Mel Gile is closer to an enforcer to me. But then again I wasn't watching Reyes closely back then that's why I couldn't really say if he qualifies as an enforcer. I also agree with stonecold. Estong wasn't exactly physically intimadating although he was 'magulang'. But he wasn't never close to being an enforcer for me.

The_Big_Cat
04-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Edmund Reyes was a rugged defender back then and was part of the sweep team of UST in 1993.

Victor Sanchez. I haven't heard this name in a long time. It was Joe Cantada (SB HS) who coined the name "Rambo" for Sanchez who played for Tanduay along with another rugged player, Rey Lazaro.

joelex
04-08-2008, 02:21 AM
ira buyco is way overrated as an enforcer, IMHO

fujima04
04-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Ano nga ba ang ibig sabihin pag 'enforcer'? I see enforces in the mold of a Jawo, Vic 'Rambo' Sanchez, Rudy 'Destroyer' Distrito, etc. where physical and mental intimidation is part of their reps.

Manong,

Damay mo na rin si Onchie dela Cruz.

On Topic: Archen Cayabyab of NU.

mangtsito
04-08-2008, 08:18 AM
I don't think Jervy qualifies as an enforces. Yes, he gives as much as he takes (ask Ilad) but I don't think he is an enforcer. He's not in the league of former Tiger Jeff Valeriano...

Jeff Valeriano, this is a classic example of someone you'd love if he were on your side, but absolutely loathe when he's on the other side. He gained notoriety when he became particularly "fond" of then rookie Richard Alvarez. What was particularly amusing about the Valeriano-Alvarez matchup was that they had absolutely nothing in common with each other. As far as looks go, Valeriano had a wacky face that had "g@g0" written all over it (...and if you are an enforcer, sometimes looks do matter) while Alvarez looked older and serious with his "bigotilyo" look. Skills-wise, Alvarez certainly had a lot more of it than Valeriano. The latter, on the other hand had "gulang" and "angas" that the former was probably just beginning to learn.

I know of only one person from UST whom Valeriano pisses off - its none other than his coach, Aric Del Rosario ;D

bchoter
04-08-2008, 12:10 PM
^ And then coach turns to a "trash-talker" :D

GHRanger
04-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Para sa akin -- enforcers are the team's best 1-1 defenders.

DLSU - Mon Jose, Cali Orfrecio, Dom Uy, Jerwin Gaco, Brian Ilad.
UST - Nino Gelig.

The_Big_Cat
04-08-2008, 01:13 PM
^ And then coach turns to a "trash-talker" :D

Joe Lipa is another "trash-talking" UAAP coach.

bchoter
04-08-2008, 02:06 PM

UST - Nino Gelig.

The definition is somewhat debatable. Lalo na when you said Gelig is the best one-on-one defender for UST during his time. He with the kamikaze defense :D. He's not even close to what Warren De GUzman did on defense.

bchoter
04-08-2008, 02:09 PM
Let's cut stonecold some slack guys. Even I would have taken it seriously if I didn't know Sam here in gameface. Parang makatotohanan kasi ang dating ;)

... wrong post in a wrong thread... my bad :D

stonecold316
04-08-2008, 02:14 PM

Jeff Valeriano, this is a classic example of someone you'd love if he were on your side, but absolutely loathe when he's on the other side.* He gained notoriety when he became particularly "fond" of then rookie Richard Alvarez.* What was particularly amusing about the Valeriano-Alvarez matchup was that they had absolutely nothing in common with each other.* As far as looks go, Valeriano had a wacky face that had "g@g0" written all over it (...and if you are an enforcer, sometimes looks do matter) while Alvarez looked older and serious with his "bigotilyo" look.* Skills-wise, Alvarez certainly had a lot more of it than Valeriano.* The latter, on the other hand had "gulang" and "angas" that the former was probably just beginning to learn.

I know of only one person from UST whom Valeriano pisses off - its none other than his coach, Aric Del Rosario* ;D

Naabutan ko si Jeff Valeriano sa Faculty of Arts Letters nun. And to tell you frankly, kahit may edad ako ng kaunti sa kanya I would not dare cross his path. Maangas at may pagkayabang talaga ang mama na ito especially when he became part of the UST team in 1999. Usually, kasama niya nakatambay sa AB eh si Angelo Velesco.

Best friend nga ni Veleriano si Rich Alvarez. Ewan, pero I like Valeriano because he is a no nonesense defender especially sa mga big men. Pero tama ka sa assessment mo na kung kampi ka sa kalaban ng USTe, si Valeriano ang una mong gusto mawala sa court.

Anyway, after one season sa USTe natanggal ata o umalis si Jeff sa team. I think kung di ako nagkakamali he chose to play in the defunct Metropolitan Basketball Association (MBA). Nasilaw ata kasi akala niya pang pro na ang angas niya. ;D ;D ;D

stonecold316

stonecold316
04-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Let's cut stonecold some slack guys. Even I would have taken it seriously if I didn't know Sam here in gameface. Parang makatotohanan kasi ang dating ;)

what do you mean bchoter?

stonecold316

bchoter
04-08-2008, 02:44 PM
^ Stonecold... edited... wrong post in a wrong thread... :D

GHRanger
04-08-2008, 08:19 PM
UST - Nino Gelig.
The definition is somewhat debatable. Lalo na when you said Gelig is the best one-on-one defender for UST during his time. He with the kamikaze defense :D. He's not even close to what Warren De GUzman did on defense.

Point taken. I remember his duels with Renren Ritualo - which obviously got the ire of many from our side.

stonecold316
04-09-2008, 01:33 PM
^ Stonecold... edited... wrong post in a wrong thread... :D

nakita ko na mga reaction nila. hahaha!
As usual may mga tinamaan. hay.

stonecold316

pablohoney
04-29-2008, 11:07 AM
How about Rey Evangelista?
If I'd pick players from the UST 4-Peat era, it'll be Rey and Edmund Reyes.

marmand
04-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Pwede ba dito si Nonoy Baclao, The Human Eraser. His defense reminds me that of Mutombo.

Dark Knight
04-29-2008, 06:12 PM
May i suggest Andrew Cruz after watching the replays. ;D

The_Big_Cat
04-29-2008, 09:24 PM
How about Rey Evangelista?
If I'd pick players from the UST 4-Peat era, it'll be Rey and Edmund Reyes.

Rey Evangelista was part of the 1993 UST sweep team while Edmund Reyes was part of the 1993 & 1994 UST champ teams. Edmund is indeed one of the defensive enforcers of that UST team.

Evangelista was the number 2 over-all pick of the 1994 PBA Draft.

AnthonyServinio
04-30-2008, 02:42 AM
IT is quite tough to define what constitutes being labelled an "enforcer" in college ball. College ball may be rough at times but it does not compare to the way the famous pro league enforcers wreaked havoc on the professional court.

First, college players' physiques are not yet fully developed to give and take such physical punishment. True, they may give it their full effort but it is not enough because their bodies are not yet capable of doing so.

Second, college players operate under the fear of sanction. They are still kids and yes, they bow to authority. They are afraid their rough play will be penalized by the league or by their own school. It's different as they grow older, tinutubuan ng sungay so to speak.

However, we do see signs that a player may grow up to be an enforcer on the next level. There is a thin line between tough honest defense and simply playing dirty.

mangtsito
04-30-2008, 08:02 AM
^ If that's the case, Enrico Vilanueva can be said to be a "valid" enforcer during his time in the UAAP. In terms of physique, he was already fully developed by his 2nd year. He also began to impose himself early in his career in the league and was never afraid to engage in rough play. Even the threat of sanctions never deterred him - losing two MVP awards in the process before finally winning it in his final year (with sheer will power it seems). Despite the highest stakes involved in Game 3 of the 2002 finals, and this is a controversial point, he wasn't afraid to plant an elbow in Adonis Sta. Maria's neck in nationwide TV.

The only thing new he did in his professional career was to pick on imports and much larger players in international competitions. While other locals would hope to get away with a cheap shot behind the referee, Villanueva would fearlessly do something outrageous like dragging an opposing player by the leg halfway across the court.

The_Big_Cat
04-30-2008, 11:26 AM
^Yes. Indeed Enrico is an enforcer for the Eagles and a tough ombre.

The Philippines hosted the 2005 FIBA Asia Club Championship. Enrico Villanueva was part of the SAN MIGUEL-TEAM PILIPINAS and got into a scuffle with Lebanon's import Stephen Howard (former San Miguel import) in which Enrico got Stephen foot and dragged his ass by at least 3 feet before they were separated.
The funny part is when TV commentator Mico Halili jokingly said "Kulang na lang dalhin ni Enrico sa Katipunan si Howard".
;D ;D

Animo_Nation
05-01-2008, 03:03 AM
Shame on you guy's to forget La Salle's original bad boy Mr. Rafa Dinglasan

Ask the Taneo peeps about this guy.

He played for La Salle during the late 80's.

LION
05-01-2008, 03:35 AM
Uuuh ohhhh! Let me get the popcorn. :)

pablohoney
05-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Uuuh ohhhh! Let me get the popcorn. :)

Nyahahaha.
Sa akin BTB. ;D

Enforcer = I think Ricky Relosa would be an enforcer, based sa definitions above. :)

The_Big_Cat
05-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Enforcer = I think Ricky Relosa would be an enforcer, based sa definitions above. :)

You forgot Elipidio "Yoyoy" Villamin, together with Ricky Relosa they formed the "Bruise Brothers" of the PBA team Hills Brothers Coffee in the late 1980s.

stonecold316
05-03-2008, 01:29 PM

You forgot* Elipidio "Yoyoy" Villamin,* together with Ricky Relosa they formed the "Bruise Brothers" of the PBA team Hills Brothers Coffee in the late 1980s.

Kung player ako at nakaharap ko sila ang laki siguro ng pasasalamat ko kung nakatayo pa ako.

stonecold316

anghusay
05-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Shame on you guy's to forget La Salle's original bad boy Mr. Rafa Dinglasan

Ask the Taneo peeps about this guy.

He played for La Salle during the late 80's.

I remember Dinglasan slapped then rookie Billy del Rosario of Ateneo. The game had less than two minutes left with Ateneo securely ahead. Dinglasan committed his fifth foul and on his way out del Rosario whispered something into Dinglasan's ear and then came the infamous slap then Archers Teddy Monasterio and Gee Abanilla ganged up on del Rosario. The latter ended up in the hospital needing stitches.

evil_fish
05-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Anybody remember Rommel David from UST? I remember one game where he suckerpunch an opposing player right in the stomach area, while the referees were not looking. Camera replays showed the player-victim dropping to the floor writhing in pain.* :P

This incident was to be repeated a few years after by Rommel David's ex-UST teamate in the 2002 Asian Games. The new victim at that time was a Japanese top gun named Takehiko Orimo. ;D

The_Big_Cat
05-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Anybody remember Rommel David from UST? I remember one game where he suckerpunch an opposing player right in the stomach area, while the referees were not looking. Camera replays showed the player-victim dropping to the floor writhing in pain. :P
This incident was to be repeated a few years after by Rommel David's ex-UST teamate in the 2002 Asian Games. The new victim at that time was a Japanese top gun named Takehiko Orimo. ;D

Yes. I saw this game. It was Dennis Espino. It was the Philippines vs Japan in the quarterfinals matchup. Japanese were inbounding. Orimo was about to receive the ball when Dennis gave him a punch to the stomach. Orimo dropped helplessly on the floor.It was never seen by the refs. Before that cheap shot, Orimo was burning us from everywhere. Good thing for us we had Dennis "The Menace" who ended Orimo's hot shooting. ;D

We won that game, thanks to the slashing move of Jeffrey Cariaso who got a three point play off a foul.
Orimo, was their Duremdes-type player, even better.

Kid Cubao
05-21-2008, 09:44 AM
takehiko orimo at the time was still shaking off the ill effects of intestinal flu, kaya doble yung sakit ng bira ni espino sa kanya. still, he nearly killed us with his unstoppable scoring all game long. malamang olats tayo if orimo was 100 percent healthy when we played japan.

bchoter
05-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Rommel David and Denis Espino may have had their 'moments' but they still cannot be tagged as enforcers. David was more scrappy than anything else. Espino is a smart defender.

The_Big_Cat
05-22-2008, 09:14 AM
takehiko orimo at the time was still shaking off the ill effects of intestinal flu, kaya doble yung sakit ng bira ni espino sa kanya. still, he nearly killed us with his unstoppable scoring all game long. malamang olats tayo if orimo was 100 percent healthy when we played japan.

OT: Before Japan played us, Orimo did not played in their previous game (it was China). Their reason is that he had flu. Alam nila hindi nila matatalo ang China kaya pinag pahinga yung star scorer nila. Obviously, tinatago nila si Orimo to prevent us froms scouting him & prepare against us.. And it almost worked for them as Orimo burned the hoops from everywhere. Naalala ko sila Binky Favis ang nag scout against Japan and especially South Korea, even going to Tokyo and Seoul to watch their pro-leagues there.

Yes Rommel David is one scrappy player and likes to scavenge around the painted area. He was part of the back-to-back UST teams of 1993 and 1994.

stonecold316
05-24-2008, 03:10 PM

OT: Before Japan played us, Orimo did not played in their previous game (it was China). Their reason is that he had flu. Alam nila hindi nila matatalo ang China kaya pinag pahinga yung star scorer nila. Obviously, tinatago nila si Orimo to prevent us froms scouting him & prepare against us.. And it almost worked for them as Orimo burned the hoops from everywhere. Naalala ko sila Binky Favis ang nag scout against Japan and especially South Korea, even going to Tokyo and Seoul to watch their pro-leagues there.

Yes Rommel David is one scrappy player and likes to scavenge around the painted area. He was part of the back-to-back UST teams of 1993 and 1994.

a tough defender and a high-leaper during his college days. galing nya nun.

stonecold316