PDA

View Full Version : NCAA to enforce one-import rule in Season 84

batangueño
03-29-2008, 04:02 AM
NCAA to enforce one-import rule in Season 84
The Philippine Star (http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=2008032864)
Saturday, March 29, 2008

The National Collegiate Athletic Association yesterday announced it would implement a new rule barring participating schools from fielding in more than two foreign players.

NCAA president Dr. Vince Fabella of Jose Rizal yesterday said the new rule was approved unanimously as early as November last year.

“Starting this season, the NCAA will allow a maximum of two foreign players per school and will be allowed to play one at a time. That was voted unanimously,” said Fabella.

Fabella made the announcement in yesterday’s official turnover rights of the hosting of Season 84 at the Casa Español in Manila where he formally relinquished the presidency to Dr. Reynaldo Vea of Mapua.

The recent move was reportedly done to level the playing field since reigning back-to-back champion San Beda has already set a precedent of fielding in two Nigerian players—2006 NCAA rookie MVP Sam Ekwe and up-and-coming rookie Emeka Udo.

While implementing a new rule, the league failed to enforce its “general consensus” reportedly set to suspend Philippine Christian U for another year after more high school players were found to have violated eligibility rules.

Fabella said they deferred any final decision on the PCU issue pending a meeting with PCU president and policy board member Oscar Suarez, who failed to attend yesterday’s meeting.

The NCAA would meet again on April 18, the same day they are expected to render a decision.

“There is still something that we have to validate and some members wanted to make sure about it. Everything is still under evaluation because we wanted everything to be fair to everyone,” said Fabella. – Joey Villar

reforms
03-29-2008, 05:50 AM
“Starting this season, the NCAA will allow a maximum of two foreign players per school and will be allowed to play one at a time. That was voted unanimously,” said Fabella.

Just as expected.

It's ok with me. Parang sa uaap.

Basta lagi nalang natin tandaan na di dapat pwedeng may 2 tall, dark and handsome red lions on the floor at the same time. ;D

abcdef
03-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Hehehe nag bigay pa ng time frame na november pa lang tapos na yung decision. Bakit di ni release agad? Mas maganda nga ito to level the playing field. Unless we commit the mistake of
"Zi - Jai" ;D

abcdef
03-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Ano sanction pag na field sila ng sabay?

The_Big_Cat
03-29-2008, 10:05 AM
This is good for the NCAA. This will give more exposure to our homegrown players.

franz888
03-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Not much of an imapct to SBC anyway since Udo and Ekwe play the same Center Position. SBC plays an uptempo game and it would be very difficult to do this if you have 2 Centers playing at the same time.

Also, this S84 will be the final year of Sam Ekwe, so this will only impact SBC for one year not unless they are hiding another Nigerian giant in the den.

Just wondering if perpetual voted for this? No more Lee and Kong for them i guess?

At least we can call this rule as the "Emeka Udo rule"

So whats next for the Mancom? put residecy in recruiting blue chip players?

I just hope they just channel all their eforts in building up their respective teams rather than make rules left and right just to be able to keep up with the competition.

AnthonyServinio
03-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Just wondering if perpetual voted for this? No more Lee and Kong for them i guess?

* * *Perpetual guard Michael Johnson Kong is a 100% Filipino from Zamboanga City.* The Altas fielded two foreigners last season -- guard Lee Sang Myun of South Korea and center Ryan Febrian of Indonesia.

gelaibabydoll
03-29-2008, 11:35 AM

Perpetual guard Michael Johnson Kong is a 100% Filipino from Zamboanga City. The Altas fielded two foreigners last season -- guard Lee Sang Myun of South Korea and center Ryan Febrian of Indonesia.

So, pag asian ang import, okay lang sa kanila kahit 2, pero with the threat of 2 Nigerians, na-alarm na sila? They should've thought of that LAST YEAR, at least for fairness sake... but then again, i'm not surprised.

The_Big_Cat
03-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Will this rule be in effect also in this upcoming Fil-Oil/Flying-V tournament and the Nike Summer League? ???

I do hope they make an exception just for these two pre-season tournaments. I would love to see FEU's two foreign players match up against SBC's Ekwe & Udo. La Salle also has Batricevic & Ferdinand. It will be a treat for basketball fans just for that tournament to allow two foreign players at the same time. 8)

GHRanger
03-29-2008, 04:15 PM
^ The three leagues are run by seperate groups; there may be similarities and differences on how they treat players without Filipino roots. So we can't automatically equate them with each other.

Though if I were the coaches of either DLSU, UPHR, ADMU, SBC, I wouldn't field them in together as well. I'd put up combinations on how I can maximize the one-foreigner-on court rule in preparation for the big leagues.

lekiboy
03-29-2008, 08:58 PM
pag may tatlo o lima kang bano na foreign players - ok lang daw...pero pag isa ( ipoprotesta pa) o kahit 2 na magaling na foreign player, bawal daw...engot.

batangueño
03-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Pasensya na sa tanong na ito, mga Kabayan mula sa NCAA. Ito ba ang first time na magkakaroon ng rule on imports sa NCAA? I mean, prior to this new rule, wala bang limit sa number of imports sa isang team?

simba52
03-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Pasensya na sa tanong na ito, mga Kabayan mula sa NCAA. Ito ba ang first time na magkakaroon ng rule on imports sa NCAA? I mean, prior to this new rule, wala bang limit sa number of imports sa isang team?

i think before may 60/40 rule. so it means kung wala 'tong bagong rule pede sana sina Ekwe at Udo maglaro ng sabay.

xanaphia
03-31-2008, 02:46 PM
natakot lang sila. mahina kasi teams nila... ndi kaya sumabay sa red lions.
dapat pinapa-ganda nila ung recruitment program ng skul nila... ndi ung kung ano2x iniisip nilang bagong rules para makasabay sa laro ng Beda.

abcdef
03-31-2008, 10:16 PM
As far as the reactions of Bedans. . .

It is a welcome development but it has a tinge of malice.

danny
04-01-2008, 07:58 AM
I have no problem with the rule. I believe a lot of us actually like the idea. E boring naman ang mangyayari kung sabay si Kevin at Sam.

OK lang yang SBC Emeka-Udo Rule.

BedanRoar
04-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Why am I not surprise with this ruling? Any rules regarding Wrestling Mioves in the Court, How about PBA Draft?

GHRanger
04-01-2008, 09:27 AM
I find this ruling acceptable as well. However, the NCAA should take a cue from the UAAP and make sure that all the fine print is put into place.

Howard the Duck
04-02-2008, 12:32 PM
dapat puro imports na lang :D

lekiboy
04-02-2008, 01:04 PM
I have no problem with the rule.* I believe a lot of us actually like the idea. E boring naman ang mangyayari kung sabay si Kevin at Sam.

OK lang yang SBC Emeka-Udo Rule.

weird language game by the media...

if the player is good = import
if the player is "BANO" = foreign student...

weird...

The_Big_Cat
04-02-2008, 02:02 PM
dapat puro imports na lang :D

The NCAA and UAAP could follow the PBA format of a two-conference.

Sa First Semester, All Filipino.
And sa Second Semester Reinforced Conference with foreign players.

NOT.
:D :D :D :D

danny
04-04-2008, 01:59 AM
[
weird language game by the media...

if the player is good = import
if the player is "BANO" = foreign student...

weird...

Pang kiliti. Yung bano kasi hindi exciting. Eh kung medyo may kagalingan naman, aba magandang bigyan ng swabeng intriga. "Manufacturing consent" ba.

The new rule is OK with us We always adjust to any situation naman. ;D

marmand
04-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Is it possible that this rule was made so as to match the UAAP rule? In turn, paving the way for a future merging?

Regular Grey
04-06-2008, 12:53 AM
Is it possible that this rule was made so as to match the UAAP rule? In turn, paving the way for a future merging?

yan naman ang malabo

The_Big_Cat
04-06-2008, 02:44 PM

The UAAP does not want to merge with the NCAA.

Perhaps, maybe in the future these two leagues will merge.

Baka, patay na tayo pinag uusapan pa rin yung merger na yan!
:D :D :D