PDA

View Full Version : "Exporting" Filipino Basketball Skills and Talent

gameface_one
03-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Ex-RP coach adds to woes of Harbour’s Seaba squad

By Jasmine W. Payo
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 06:17:00 03/26/2008

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippines will compete against a familiar figure in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) Champions Cup.

Former national coach Boysie Zamar will call the shots for Malaysia in the Champions Cup, slated April 3 to 7, where the Philippines is defending the title through four-time PBL champion Harbour Centre.

“I have mixed emotions,” said Zamar. “Of course, I’m a Filipino. But this is just a job.”

Zamar said he might tap a Filipino player as a second import of the Malaysian national team, which is already reinforced by 6-foot-4 import Chris Cuete of Cameroon.

“I might get an ex-PBA center,” said Zamar, who also worked in Jakarta in the last two years as head coach of Aspac Putra in the Indonesian Basketball League (IBL).

“Malaysia got me because I’m from the Philippines and I’m familiar with our game. But I can only do so much as a coach.”

Coach Jorge Gallent said the development is another cause for worry for the Harbour five.

“We can’t undermine Coach Boysie’s skills and the preparation they’re doing,” said Gallent.

Yet Zamar believes the Philippines will still dominate the tournament even with Nigerian Sam Ekwe of San Beda College as its only import.

“To be frank, Malaysia will be okay if it finishes No. 2,” said Zamar. “Our goal is very realistic. We just want to qualify in the Champions Cup and try to beat Indonesia and Thailand.”

AnthonyServinio
03-28-2008, 01:32 AM
* * *First, David "Alamat" Zamar was a local legend or "alamat" in Philippine basketball.* Now, he has become a legend in Asian basketball.* Very soon, he will be a worldwide basketball legend!

batangueño
03-28-2008, 02:04 AM
Sir Anthony, how long has Coach Boyzie been coaching in Malaysia? I was thinking before that he was in Indonesia, not Malaysia. ???

AnthonyServinio
03-28-2008, 02:36 AM
Sir Anthony, how long has Coach Boyzie been coaching in Malaysia? I was thinking before that he is in Indonesia, not Malaysia. ???

He has been on the job for almost a month already. The legend that he is, Coach David "Alamat" Zamar can easily turn the Malaysians into instant contenders. The Malaysians in the past have posed problems for the Filipinos and now that they have a legend on their side, the Malaysian problem just got tougher!

Coach Zamar had a two-year deal to coach in Indonesia. The contract lapsed at around the end of 2007.

batangueño
03-28-2008, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the response, Sir Anthony. :)

It is really good to know that Filipino basketball talent is being recognized overseas. Coach Boyzie Zamar is definitely one of our basketball exports. :)

Aside from Coach Boyzie, do we have other foreign-based Filipino basketball coaches?

AnthonyServinio
03-28-2008, 03:01 AM
Thanks for the response, Sir Anthony. :)

It is really good to know that Filipino basketball talent is being recognized overseas. Coach Boyzie Zamar is definitely one of our basketball exports. :)

Aside from Coach Boyzie, do we have other foreign-based Filipino basketball coaches?

* * *Right now, the only one I know who was specifically recruited and employed to coach a country's national team is Ricky Magallanes who is handling the basketball program in Vietnam.* Coach Magallanes has been on the job since 2005.* He is a former superstar of the University of Saint La Salle varsity in Bacolod City.

* * *Of course, we have a pair of PBA champion coaches in the United States -- Coach Rino Salazar and Coach Perry Ronquillo.* However, their current jobs have almost no relation to basketball.

* * *In the past, the likes of Nat Canson (Indonesia), Bong Ramos (Indonesia), Jimmy Mariano (Oman), Lauro Mumar (India), Tembong Melencio (Kuwait), Bennet Palad (Brunei) and Moying Martelino (Qatar) have leant their basketball expertise to other countries.

GHRanger
03-28-2008, 10:40 AM
As I mentioned in another thread, having coaches and players "exported" to other countries will give both teams a wealth of knowledge. This will strengthen the competition within our immediate area.

One "export" that would be good is trying to penetrate the ABL through the Singapore Slingers. The Singapore Slingers are technically allowed 4 imports instead of the regular 2. So if by some marketing ploy (kasi dami ditong Pinoy sa SG) makapasok ilan sa atin doon, okay yun. (The slingers also need a decent cheering team. :P. May itsura ang cheerleaders nila pero walang .... spirit :).... these ladies serve the Singapore Sling as well during games! ) The current GM of the Slingers is the owner of AirAsia.

bchoter
03-28-2008, 01:12 PM
^ Nicve observations. Especially the cheerleaders ;)

amdgc82
04-05-2008, 06:31 AM
Zamar does his share for country (http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20080404132)
Saturday, April 5, 2008
http://philstar.com

JAKARTA – Unknown to many, coach Boyzie Zamar is helping the country in his own little way.

Zamar may be helping RP’s neighbor nations improve their basketball but he’s paying the country back by luring foreign investments to the country.

“Wherever I am, if there’s the opportunity that I can ask my principals to put business in the Philippines, I’ve been doing that. Right now, I have a boss into palm oil business. He’s considering investing in our country. I’ve been telling him our situation, that he can give job opportunities to poor Filipinos,” said Zamar.

Zamar, a former RP team coach, is now working with the Malaysian Amateur Basketball Association, tapped to draft a master plan for Malaysian basketball. He’s here to call the shots for the Petron team in the SEABA Champions Cup.

Before accepting the job in Malaysia, the former UE Warrior handled a club team in the Indonesian Basketball Association, producing a number of players now playing for the Indon national team.

Chances are Zamar would also accept an offer to be an assistant coach of the Singapore Slingers in the National Basketball League in Australia. – Nelson Beltran

AnthonyServinio
04-05-2008, 06:49 AM
Zamar does his share for country (http://philstar.com/index.php?Sports&p=49&type=2&sec=30&aid=20080404132)
Saturday, April 5, 2008
http://philstar.com

JAKARTA – Unknown to many, coach Boyzie Zamar is helping the country in his own little way.

Zamar may be helping RP’s neighbor nations improve their basketball but he’s paying the country back by luring foreign investments to the country.

“Wherever I am, if there’s the opportunity that I can ask my principals to put business in the Philippines, I’ve been doing that. Right now, I have a boss into palm oil business. He’s considering investing in our country. I’ve been telling him our situation, that he can give job opportunities to poor Filipinos,” said Zamar.

Zamar, a former RP team coach, is now working with the Malaysian Amateur Basketball Association, tapped to draft a master plan for Malaysian basketball. He’s here to call the shots for the Petron team in the SEABA Champions Cup.

Before accepting the job in Malaysia, the former UE Warrior handled a club team in the Indonesian Basketball Association, producing a number of players now playing for the Indon national team.

Chances are Zamar would also accept an offer to be an assistant coach of the Singapore Slingers in the National Basketball League in Australia. – Nelson Beltran

ZAMAR FOR PRESIDENT 2010 MOVEMENT!

amdgc82
04-06-2008, 07:04 AM
Singapore’s Slingers to be coached by a Filipino in NBL’s next season? (http://www.tribune.net.ph/sports/20080406spo3.html)
04/06/2008
www.tribune.net.ph

JAKARTA — If plans don’t miscarry, there could be a Filipino in the elite basketball league of Australia.

David “Boysie” Zamar yesterday revealed that he is seriously eyeing a coaching stint with the Singapore Slingers in the upcoming season of the National Basketball League this July.

Zamar, a former national team mentor, said he has already applied for the position and the Slingers’ management has given him a closer look by loaning its superstar, Benjamin Knight, to reinforce his Malaysian team competing in the Southeast Asian Basketball Association (Seaba) Club Championship here.

Though the Malaysians bowed to Indonesia, 88-86, Zamar still did a tremendous job, considering that he just arrived in Malaysia last month and assembled a rag-tag squad two weeks before the Seaba joust.

He also said what excites him is not the thought of handling world-class athletes, but the opportunity of being under the tutelage of Australia’s Olympic coach, who is now calling the shots for the Slingers. Julius Manicad

amdgc82
04-30-2008, 05:16 AM
Thailand to adopt Best Center module (http://www.journal.com.ph/index.php?issue=2008-04-30&sec=7&aid=57919)
April 30, 2008 06:24 PM Wednesday*
www.journal.com.ph
The Basketball Efficiency and Scientific Training Center (BEST Center)* takes a big leap to Thailand when its chairman and founder, Nic Jorge,* forges an agreement with the International School of Thailand (IST) and the Thailand Basketball Association (TBA) for a technological transfer based on the popular best module.
Jorge leaves for Thailand before the end of the month to formalize an agreement with Rizza Sripetchvandee, owner of the IST,* to make the prestigious school the first Best Center venue outside of the Philippines 30 years.
“Ms.* Sripetchvandee earlier came to the Philippines to observe our Best Center clinics and she said she was very impressed with what she saw. So, she decided to bring the Best Center to Thailand beginning with more than 400 students from June 7-12, which will start out long-term partnership,” Jorge said.
Jorge, a former national coach and recipient of the Philippine* Sportswriters Association (PSA) Hall-of-Fame Award for the Milo-sponsored Best Center, then meets with Ittichai Sirisab, vice president of the Thailand Basketball Association, who recently expressed interest to acopt the Best Center module.
According to Jorge, Sirisab wants to put a basketball development program for youth, a first in Thailand, patterned after the Best Center training sylabus.
Sirisab and Jorge were classmates at the Italian Basketball Academy in 1979 as Olympic scholars.

gameface_one
05-26-2008, 01:14 AM
Ramos wooed by 3 Indonesian ballclubs
mb.com.ph

If plans push through, Bong Ramos will be coaching anew in Indonesia.

This after three teams from the Indonesian Basketball League (IBL) made an offer recently to Ramos, the former Mapua Cardinal who turned to coaching and is now considered one of the country’s upcoming bench tacticians.

According to Ramos, he is in constant communication with the three teams.

However, Ramos refused to identify the teams, saying: "we’re in the negotiation process."

The pre-season tournament of the IBL will start in October, while the regular tournament is set sometime in January next year.

"It will be a good opportunity for me to coach again (in the IBL)," said Ramos, who had his first stint in the IBL with the Aspac-Jakarta in 2002 to 2004.

During that two-year span, Ramos steered Aspac-Jakarta to four straight conference championships.

When he came back home in 2005, he got his big break when he was named as coach of Federal Express (now Air21).

"I’m still optimistic that second break (in the PBA) will come, I just need to be patient waiting for that big break," Ramos said.

Ramos, a member of the 1981 NCAA champion team of Mapua, started his coaching career with the Cardinals during the 1997 and 1998 NCAA.

When the MBA started in 1998, he coached the Batangas Blades for two seasons. He also mentored the Manila Metrostars (2000) and Laguna Lakers (2001) before joining the PBA as assistant to coach to Allan Caidic with Barangay Ginebra (2002).

Then Ramos moved to the IBL when he accepted the offer of Aspac-Jakarta.

His last PBA stint was with Talk ’N Text, where he served as assistant to two coaches – first with Joel Banal and then with Derek Pumaren (replaced by Chot Reyes at the start of the season-ending Fiesta Cup) – that started in 2005 Fiesta Cup.

He also served as assistant to Boysie Zamar during the 2001 Southeast Asian Games in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Two years later, however, he was on the opposing side as coach of the Indonesian basketball team during the 2003 SEA Games in Vietnam.

The Philippine Team bagged the gold medal in both SEA Games.

amdgc82
07-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Thai school invites BEST coaches
www.malaya.com.ph

THE Milo-sponsored Basketball Efficiency and Scientific Training Center has received an invitation to conduct clinics in Thailand, this time at the exclusive Bromsgrove International School, a British curriculum and boarding school in Bangkok.

Nic Jorge, who founded the BEST Center 30 years ago, is set to finalize talks with Bromsgrove official before he sends coaches and instructors to Bangkok before the end of the month.

"The invitation is another proof Filipino basketball coaches are recognized by our neighboring countries," Jorge said.

"And we are happy Bromsgrove is also recognizing BEST Center’s contributions to our youth basketball development, which Bromsgrove wants to adopt."

Aside from basketball, Bromsgrove also involve its students in golf, swimming, and other sports and adventure activities, aside from being among the top in Intensive English Program in Thailand.

Local BEST Center classes, also sponsored by Milo, will start today at the Ateneo covered courts in Katipunan, Quezon City. The Ateneo clinics will have classes from levels 1-5 from 8:30-11:30 am. Enrollees are still being accepted at the BEST Center office at 34 Scout Lozano corner Scout Reyes, Barangay Laging Handa, QC, with tel. nos. 411-6260 and 372-3065/66. The clinics will move to Xavier School from 1-4 p.m. with classes for students enrolled in levels 1-3.

Starmall in Alabang will open its BEST Center classes on Sunday for levels 1-3 from 1-4 p.m.

amdgc82
01-11-2009, 10:21 AM
http://goodnewspilipinas.com/wp/?p=3886

Pinoy to coach Vietnam’s Youth cage team

Filipino tacticians are sought after basketball coaches overseas. Vietnam have hired a Pinoy coach to help develop their grassroots development program.

Eric Samson, who last handled Pagadian City in the Liga Pilipinas, is leaving for Vietnam this February after accepting a year-long contract from the Vietnam Basketball Federation.

He takes over the job once held by another Filipino mentor Ricky Magallanes, who is now in New York after accepting an offer to become a part of a 5-star camp for coaches.

Samson has been tasked to draft Vietnam’s first-ever under-18 youth program for Ho Chi Minh City.

“Ako ang hahawak ng kauna-unahang youth program ng Vietnam sa basketball. Parang iyung ginagawa dito sa atin ni Rajko Toroman, iyun din ang gagawin ko doon,” Samson said.

Basketball Association of the Philippines secretary-general Graham Lim, coach Beaujing Acot and Emilio Aguinaldo College sports director Nomar Isla encouraged Samson to accept the offer.

Samson, who used to be an assistant coach of the UE Warriors said the Vietnamese wanted a youth program for basketball because of the huge gap in the ages of talented players.

Filipino coaches are held in high esteem in the region. Samson’s former colleague in the University of the East David Zamar is now handling an Indonesian club team.

GHRanger
01-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Pinoy to coach Vietnam’s Youth cage team
Basketball Association of the Philippines secretary-general Graham Lim, coach Beaujing Acot and Emilio Aguinaldo College sports director Nomar Isla encouraged Samson to accept the offer.

??? ???

Schortsanitis
08-17-2010, 08:15 AM
A lot of people has been pressuring the Parks family to have Ray Parks Jr. play in the US NCAA Division 1, but the way I see it, there's one other player who has a good chance of playing in there, and that is Junmar Fajardo.

I'm basing this on the fact that some countries have been able to send basketball players there just because they have young, tall players who can play basketball. South Korea, for example, has one or two young big man in the US NCAA Division 1.

There are over 300 schools in that division, and I am sure that some of them could use a tall prospect. Junmar is tall, not very athletic, but has good coordination, and good skills. He's reportedly only about 20 or so years old, so there is still time for him to go and play there.

danny
09-12-2010, 12:00 AM
I am against any Filipino imports in basketball.

Aba naman, marami namang homegrown dito sa North America o ano mang bayan laban ng Pilipinas. Bakit kailangang mag-import ng basketball player o coach mula Pilipinas? Paano na yung local na mawawalan ng scholarship o trabaho dito o sa ibang bayan.

Joke. Joke. Hello Billy. :D

Seriously, if we can, why not?

danny
09-23-2010, 09:21 AM
May listahan ang Anti-Defamation League ng mga racist groups sa America. Paano kung malaman ng mga Racist na ito na gusto nating mag-export ng pinoy talents?

American Front and your like-minded Racist Groups (http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/american_front/default.asp?LEARN_Cat=Extremism&LEARN_SubCat=Extremism_in_America&xpicked=3&item=american_front)

danny
09-23-2010, 03:11 PM
^^^

I forgot to tell you people to click the link. Find your favorite racist group. ;D

P.S.

Pucha. Server error. Racist talaga. Ayaw ipabasa. :D

Schortsanitis
10-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Sapul ang Esposo-NEGRO. LOL

Schortsanitis
11-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Is Kieffer Ravena good enough to play in a US NCAA Division 1 team RIGHT NOW? I think so. Unbelievable basketball IQ and coordination, and fantastic side-step that makes him incredibly shifty.
- Kieffer Ravena Demo Reel (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aghtCaDvz_g)

Schortsanitis
11-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Ray Parks is confirmed to have signed with Georgia Tech:

http://georgiatech.scout.com/2/1024318.html

Bobby Parks Signs With Georgia Tech

By Rod Mackenzie GoJackets.com Staff

Posted Nov 21, 2010

The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets picked up their second recruit of the 2011 class when Collierville, Tennessee shooting guard Bobby Ray Parks Jr. signed with the Jackets.

Profile - Bobby Parks

The 6’5” Parks joins Milton High School (GA) forward Julian Royal in Tech’s class after choosing the Jackets over New Mexico. Ray retuned to the Philippines following his visits to Georgia Tech and New Mexico. Parks was born and raised in Manila where his dad Bobby Parks Sr. played following a career in the NBA.

O, si Kieffer naman. LOL

Take note that there are over three hundred schools in the US NCAA Division 1. Imposib-le na wala kahit na isang eskwelahan dyan ang kukuha ng such a talent as Kieffer.

bchoter
11-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Akala ni Rayray sasali siya sa pep squad. Ma re-realize din niya ang pagkakamali nya at babalik din sa Maynila yan. P. Noval in particular. Future YJ...

danny
11-30-2010, 03:32 AM
One of those 300 NCAA schools should be the target of our local boys. I you are really talented, go the the US NCAA rather than limit your potential in the fractured local leagues with delusions of grandeur.

Got get them boys! :)

maroonmartian
09-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Related din naman sa topic. What if the foreign players came here to develop their skills and bring them back to their native country. What the Philippines got?

1) Passion for basketball
IMO we are the most passionate ballers in the whole world. Its what this players want. Noundo of FEU could have gone to Thailand but basketball there is not that popular.

2) Fan support for basketball with players achieving celebrity status
Foreign players here became instant celebrity. Sa bansa nila mahirap yan. Either you became a football player or anything else (politician). Here, GOOD PLAYERS are treated well.

3) English-speaking country and low cost of living
Same argument also for our call-center industry here. The players will live comfortably compared if they live in a First World country.

4) Basketball skills
Not maybe the best in the world but one of the best. For a player who live in football crazy nation like Bahrain (Bader Malabes), basketball skills is low or yet to be developed.

Some of the players I know who is developing their skills here are:

1) Bader Malabes (Bahrain)- STAR PLAYER for the Bahraini team but bench warmer in DLSU ;D
2) Pipou Nondou (Cameroon)- Et'oo (footballer) is more popular there than Kobe Bryant
3) Chris Sentcheu (Cameroon)- same with Pipou. I also noticed their headband with the Cameroonian colors
4) Ayi Aryi (Ghana)- actually a footballer for UP but I heard he came here not just to play football but to learn basketball from us. Nakakataba ng puso.
5) Emmanuel Mbe (Cameroon?)-will plan to play abroad after his NU stint.

bchoter
09-19-2011, 07:56 PM
6) Karim Abdul (Cameroon) - Yes, he wants to develop his basketball skillls but it doesn;t stop there. He wants to take advantage of the scholarship so he can parlay it to an IT career. I hope he doesn't lose sight of his objectives

maroonmartian
09-27-2011, 06:35 AM
^ Dagdag ko sana si Ferdinand of Indonesia but when I look at the Indonesian roster in FIBA Asia, I couldn't find him. Napansin ko lang sa mga African imports, karamihan sa CAMEROON. Malakas din naman sila at rank 42 sa FIBA (better than our 45). Siguro tumitingin ng ways para matalo ang Angola (the perennial African champ). Sa dami nila pwede na magtayo ng CAMEROONIAN NATIONAL TEAM sa Philippines. Maybe its the fact that FOOTBALL (Samuel Eto'o is their Pacquiao) is more popular there so they came here.