PDA

View Full Version : Filipina Basketball League

AnthonyServinio
03-19-2008, 12:35 AM
COMING SOON: FILIPINA BASKETBALL LEAGUE

* * *THAT'S right, the BAP-SBP is already laying down the groundwork for a commercial league for women players.* Riding on the heels of the success of our Women's NT in last year's SEABA and SEA Games competitions, now is the ripe time to set up such a league and continue building!

Sam Miguel
03-19-2008, 02:20 AM
Hopefully this will encourage more women to take up the sport seriously. I wonder if this will be a commercial but amateur league like the PBL or a full blown pro league like the PBA? For that matter will there be foreign-born or mixed-race players allowed in this new league?

GHRanger
03-23-2008, 11:46 AM
Wasn't there a semi-pro league a couple of years (decade) back?
Anyway, this is all good for the sport.

@Sam -- I think they should include mixed race or even foreign bred players in this league (or even a whole team!) for the simple reason that we need to learn how to play against bigger players on a regular basis.

In reality, the women's team has a bigger problem in terms of height than the men's team -- our homegrown players height ranges from 5'4" to 6'1" -- so the exposure will help a lot. Maybe some of the men's big budgets can be used for the women's league... ;D

Joescoundrel
03-23-2008, 03:04 PM
GH, there was indeed a WPBL around 1998, 1999, but that lasted all of two conferences and did not really have much of an impact in terms of promoting women's basketball in our country. I believe that was a parallel tournament of the PBL under then-commish and current Reb Bull coach Yeng Guiao.

As for foreign-born or foreign-raised and mixed-race players I am all for it as well. The likes of Vicki Brick and Amira Issa are just the beginning for us, perhaps we can even find a few really tall Filipinas or Filipina - foreigners our there. I am not too sure but I recall there was this girl who graduated from West Point two years ago who is pure Filipina and got into the Point on a basketball scholarship. Perhaps she is serving her mandatory military duty in the US Army.

We are not lacking for young talents in the country. Just take a look at the 40 girls in the Luzon NBTC and you will see a whole bunch of 14- and 15-year olds who stand 5-8 or taller there. Pato Gregorio told me they even have an eye out for this 6-4 or 6-5 14-year old somewhere in Cagayan De Oro who plays both basketball and volleyball.

Presently I'd say I could form a pretty competitive team to go against the RP Women's team of Fritz Gaston with recent and present UAAP players.

I'd get Katrina Quimpo and Marichu Bacaro as my pointguards, Tin Alon-alon and Sarah Mercado as my 2-guards, Chovi Borja and Tess Bombeo as my small forwards, AJ Barracoso and Merenciana Arayi as my power forwards, and Jeng Ravago and Kady Wilson as my centers. Rounding out my roster will be Tet Gadian and Christine Reyes. To be coached of course by John Flores, Joey Mendoza, Mon Jose and Dominic Uy will be assisting.

AnthonyServinio
03-24-2008, 01:30 AM
FILIPINA BASKETBALL LEAGUE FIRST CONFERENCE

Target Opening Day:

April 19, 2007 (Saturday)
- venue to be announced

Participating Teams:

Adamson Lady Falcons
Ateneo de Manila Lady Eagles
College of Saint Benilde Lady Blazers
De La Salle Lady Archers
Far Eastern Lady Tamaraws
Lyceum Lady Pirates
Philippine Women's NT - Coach Haydee Ong
Philippine Women's Junior NT (18-under) - Coach Raymond Celis

FBL Officials:

Chief Executive Officer - Raymond Liboro
Chief Operating Officer/Commissioner - Matthew Gaston

nastrans
03-24-2008, 09:12 AM
GH, there was indeed a WPBL around 1998, 1999, but that lasted all of two conferences and did not really have much of an impact in terms of promoting women's basketball in our country. I believe that was a parallel tournament of the PBL under then-commish and current Reb Bull coach Yeng Guiao.

The PBL also had a juniors tournament in those early years. Anyway, during the WPBL's run, Ever Bilena won two straight titles during the run led by current (?) UST women's assistant Julie Amos and coached by then-Blu Detergent players Pat Aquino and Michael Orquillas.

Participating Teams:

Adamson Lady Falcons
De La Salle Lady Archers
Lyceum Lady Pirates

The question is will the likes of Machiko, Tioseco, and the rest of the collegiate-bound national cagebelles play for their respective colleges or with the national team? Plus, will reinforcements be allowed to play (e.g. Sadorra of UP joins one of the participating teams)?

Sam Miguel
03-24-2008, 12:51 PM
FILIPINA BASKETBALL LEAGUE FIRST CONFERENCE

Target Opening Day:

April 19, 2007 (Saturday)
- venue to be announced

Participating Teams:

Adamson Lady Falcons
De La Salle Lady Archers
Lyceum Lady Pirates

FBL Officials:

Chief Executive Officer - Raymond Liboro
Chief Operating Officer/Commissioner - Matthew Gaston

Are these the varsity teams of the schools or are alumni-players going to be allowed to play? Or is this like the school-based teams of the PBL, as in even non-students / non-alumni may join the teams?

For instance, the Ateneo-Lee Pipes team of 2004 / 2005 had Nino Gelig, Val Domingo, Miko Roldan, Rob Johnson and Marlon Basco at one time or another.

Joescoundrel
04-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Apparently the April 19 opening day will not push through as the RP Team will be seeing action in the Nike summer tournament, as are the other teams mentioned herein.

erichubert
04-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Glancing at the roster of teams, it seems like the Nike Summer league or the Fr. Martin's Cup only it was packaged as the Filipina Basketball League. They should gear the tournament more as a commercial league so that even those players who graduated from collegiate ball yet not good enough for the national team can get exposure and improve.

bluedevil
04-05-2008, 02:45 AM
COMING SOON: FILIPINA BASKETBALL LEAGUE

* * *THAT'S right, the BAP-SBP is already laying down the groundwork for a commercial league for women players.* Riding on the heels of the success of our Women's NT in last year's SEABA and SEA Games competitions, now is the ripe time to set up such a league and continue building!
http://

cameronCrazy
04-10-2008, 09:06 AM
When will the league push through? Any scheds?

*d2d*
09-15-2008, 10:54 AM
hi.. just want to ask where and when the try outs for this league are held? or are there any try outs? how can i become a player in this league? ???

thadzonline
09-17-2008, 10:11 AM
btw, what happened to this league now?

PilipinasFan
09-20-2008, 10:09 AM
well, i am really excited about this filipina basketball league., finally, there will be a place for women to somehow show their love for the sport., not only that, through this league, i firmly believe that the level of play of women's basketball in the country will improve., thus, we can say that it is already moving towards realizing international recognition.,

pachador
10-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Yummy news for guys . :D The womens league will try to use the one-piece unitard :D that was made fashionable by the Australian women’s team that also competed in the 1996 Olympics. Yes !! Hallelujah !! see below:

The future of basketball
THE GAME OF MY LIFE By Bill Velasco
Saturday, October 18, 2008

The last two weeks have seen a flurry of activity that will greatly benefit the future of Philippine basketball. While trouble brews on top of the sport’s hierarchy, and leadership issues remain unsettled, the lower tiers of the sport look ready to expand.

Firstly, Harbour Centre’s Mikee Romero has thrown his support behind the development of women’s basketball with the relaunch of the Women’s Philippine Basketball League (WPBL), which was discontinued almost a decade ago. Romero says this was born of an avoidable disappointment at the last SEA Games, wherein the Filipinas only finished with a bronze, after organizers tried to cheat by shuffling the schedule without even informing the FIBA representatives.

“We’ve never won the gold, but I noticed the Thailanders, Indonesians and Malaysians are just as tall as our women players,” recalls Romero, the current PBL chair. “All that I think they need is more exposure.”

The 10-team WPBL will include the Philippine women’s team as a guest team. This is intended to sharpen the killer instinct of the nationals.

“They’ve been playing against boys and selections that aren’t as competitive as they are,” Romero explains. “In this way, they will really play hard. And the league will also give our ex-varsity and current varsity players somewhere to go.”

The league will allow players below 28 years old, and will try to use the one-piece unitard that was made fashionable by the Australian women’s team that also competed in the 1996 Olympics. Romero also believes that bringing back Fil-Am players like Vicki Brick is necessary to raise the level of the game.

Meanwhile, the National Basketball Training Center (NBTC) will be holding an inter-city tournament for players aged 16 and below.

Coaches from various big schools have generously allowed their players to try out. Those selected have been allowed to leave their varsity practices early twice a week. The best players will form the NBTC pool.

This early, Quezon City is touted as one of the strongest teams, since it includes members of the UAAP junior champion Ateneo Blue Eaglets.

Some of De La Salle Zobel’s players, meantime, have joined the Pasig team.

Lastly, a new youth tournament will be launched next week. On Oct. 25th, the first Mini Youth Basketball or MyBall tournament opens. The first MyBall MetroManila Invitationals will be staged at the Blue Eagle Gym; Don Bosco Makati Gym; Chang Kai Shek, UNO and St. Stephen’s Gyms. The tournament will run a total of 105 official games to be scheduled on Saturdays and Sundays.

Among the participating teams in two divisions are Ateneo de Manila, Chiang Kai Shek College, De La Salle Zobel, Don Bosco Technical Institute, Don Bosco Technical College, La Salle Greenhills, Lourdes School Mandaluyong, National University and UNO High School.

MyBall was also formed after many parents complained of an existing youth tournament, which initially did not charge for participation, then changed its policy later on. That tournament was also unable to give out promised prizes to some champion teams.

So all in all, basketball’s roots are going to be strong.

D_I_A
10-18-2008, 02:48 AM
it's high time na maibalik na itong liga na ito para sa mga Pinay