PDA

View Full Version : Former Archers, Eagles relive feud

gameface_one
03-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Former Archers, Eagles relive feud

The Philippine Star

Pro products of archrivals Ateneo and La Salle re-don their collegiate colors on Easter Sunday, figuring in a one-game showdown for a charity cause.

An undertaking by the PBA board headed by chairman Tony Chua, the reunion match is set at the Araneta Coliseum with the proceeds going to the Players Educational Trust Fund.

"This is going to be a great endeavor not only for basketball fans, especially supporters of La Salle and Ateneo, but also for a good cause," said Chua in announcing the details of the project during the PSA Forum in Shakey’s-UN avenue Tuesday.

"This is just one of the means to fund the Players Trust Fund. The All-Star Game is one of them. And this may become only the first of a series of benefit games. We may also pit in the future other basketball rivalries like Letran-San Beda, Ateneo-San Beda, Letran-San Sebastian, UST-UE, FEU-La Salle and others," said PBA operations and technical chief Rickie Santos.

The core of the Eagles’ line-up is comprised of the Ateneo squad that annexed the 2002 UAAP championship while the Archers’ nucleus is a mixture of players starring in La Salle’s reigns from 1998-2001 and 2004-05.

Making up the Ateneo side to be coached by Talk n Text mentor Chot Reyes are Enrico Villanueva, Larry Fonacier, JC Intal, Paolo Bugia, Wesley Gonzales, LA Tenorio, Doug Kramer, Macky Escalona, Magnum Membrere, Gec Chia and veteran Olsen Racela.

To be coached by Barangay Ginebra’s Jong Uichico, La Salle will be manned by RenRen Ritualo, Don Allado, Mark Telan, Mark Cardona, Mike Cortez, Adonis Sta. Maria, Ryan Arana, Carlo Sharma, Willie Wilson, Joseph Yeo, JunJun Cabatu and JR Aquino. Nelson Beltran

gameface_one
03-12-2008, 07:35 AM
La Salle vs Ateneo with a new twist

By WAYLON GALVEZ
mb.com.ph

Hoping to cash in from the rivalry of Ateneo and La Salle, the PBA will hold an exhibition game between the two glamour teams from the UAAP to raise more money for the players’ trust fund.

The players will come from the current rosters of PBA team, said Ricky Santos, the league’s operations and technical chief, who announced that the game will be held March 23 at the Araneta Coliseum.

"Proceeds will go to the Players Educational Trust Fund. All players who played in the PBA are eligible to avail of it," Santos said yesterday at the PSA Forum at the Shakey’s restaurant on UN Avenue.

With the exemption of Magnolia’s Olsen Racela, the Blue Eagle team is practically the team that won the 2002 UAAP title.

These are Magnolia’s Rico Villanueva, LA Tenorio, Larry Fonacier and Wesley Gonzales, Red Bull’s Paolo Bugia and Magnum Membrere, Air21’s JC Intal, Gec Chia and Doug Kramer, and Ginebra’s Macky Escalona.

The Green Archers will be composed of players who played for the team during its title runs from the late 90s until 2004.

They are Don Allado, Ren-Ren Ritualo and Mark Cardona of Talk ’N Text, Alaska’s Mike Cortez and Jun-Jun Cabatu, Welcoat’s Ryan Arana and Adonis Sta. Maria, Magnolia’s Willie Wilson, Sta. Lucia Realty’s Joseph Yeo, Ginebra’s JR Aquino, and Coca-Cola’s Mark Telan.

Calling the shots for La Salle is former mentor Jong Uichico of Ginebra, while Talk ’N Text’s Chot Reyes will coach Ateneo.

Current La Salle mentor Franz Pumaren served as the union’s last president in the late 90s before it went inactive.

"I hate to say this but during that time, superstar players don’t want to participate. The union will only be successful if the players are united," Pumaren said.

"With the effort of the PBA now, I hope it’s not just ‘ningas kugon’ because if they can sustain it, with young superstars participating, this will be successful. Down the road, the players will need the union’s help," he said.

The current amount of the trust fund, according to the league’s media bureau chief Willie Marcial, is at least P13 million.

The money from the trust fund comes from the fines active players pay for committing flagrant fouls.

Also, the income from the All-Star Weekend festivities goes to the trust fund.

"This is just one of the means to fund the Players Trust Fund," Santos said.

"The All-Star Game is one. Basically lahat ng fines sa mga players dito napupunta." Santos, who was named by PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios as the league’s Executive Director, said that this is just one of the projects lined up intended to improve the income of the trust fund.

Santos said that Barrios, who is currently vacationing in the United States, has other plans and programs.

"This is first in a series of benefit games. May not only involve La Salle-Ateneo in the future but other basketball rivalries like Letran-San Beda, Ateneo-San Beda, Letran-San Sebastian, UST-UE, FEU-La Salle and others," he said.

Joescoundrel
03-12-2008, 08:19 AM
How desperate can the PBA be? Cashing in on the Ateneo-Lasalle rivalry even at the pro level, ho-lee!

Try lowering ticket prices my dears, believe me that will bring in more fans. 8)

james_ty
03-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Enrico Villanueva vs. Joseph Yeo all over again. Don't be surprised na may suntukan uli ang dalawang iyon!!!!

Jeep
03-12-2008, 10:43 AM
How desperate can the PBA be? Cashing in on the Ateneo-Lasalle rivalry even at the pro level, ho-lee!

Try lowering ticket prices my dears, believe me that will bring in more fans. 8)

joe, ticket prices for the nosebleed section are already at P5 per head. i don't know how they can get that to go any lower.

that said, though, i don't know how much the lower sections sell for. the last PBA game i saw live, i think at the araneta, had billy ray bates as the star import! ;D and i didn't even pay for my ticket (patron, IIRC -- my dad did). so i'm clueless about the rates for those sections below the bleachers. we also don't know what kind of costs (direct or otherwise) the PBA aims to recover from ticket sales or how much of those costs can be passed on to sponsors -- if they can't pare them down in the first place. these are the factors that the league has to weigh before they bring down ticket prices.

coreytaylor
03-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Enrico Villanueva vs. Joseph Yeo all over again. Don't be surprised na may suntukan uli ang dalawang iyon!!!!

always expecting the worse, huh?

gameface_one
03-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Ex-Archers, Eagles to relive UAAP title tiff

The Philippine Star

No title is at stake but the first PBA Ateneo vs La Salle showdown is expected to be as intense and fiercely fought as their memorable championship showdowns in the past.

College basketball’s most bitter rivals go at each other again on Easter Sunday at the Araneta Coliseum in a Yakult Health Drink-presented match that hopefully will relive the drama and thrill of the 2002 UAAP Finals duke-out between the Blue Eagles and the Archers.

The memorable encounter, played before a huge Big Dome crowd, proved to be the last championship collision between the two warring schools. Ateneo edged out La Salle, 77-70, in the deciding Game 3 of a series that captured the imagination of an entire nation, and won its first UAAP men’s basketball crown in the last 14 years.

Ironically, the core of that very same Blue Eagles championship unit is back as one in the exhibition game featuring former La Salle and Ateneo players currently seeing action in the league and whose proceeds go directly to the PBA Players’ Educational Trust fund.

Leading the way for Ateneo to be coached by Chot Reyes are 2002 UAAP Most Valuable Player (MVP) Enrico Villanueva, Larry Fonacier, Lewis Alfred Tenorio, Wesley Gonzales, Paolo Bugia, Gec Chia and Doug Kramer. Supporting them are Magnum Membrere, JC Intal, Macky Escalona and veteran Olsen Racela.

Aching for payback are some members of that runner-up De La Salle squad that include Mike Cortez, Mack Cardona, Ram Carlo Sharma, Adonis Sta. Maria and Joseph Yeo. Completing the Green Archers’ roster mentored by Barangay Ginebra’s Jong Uichico are RenRen Ritualo, Don Allado, Ryan Arana, Willie Wilson, Junjun Cabatu, Mark Telan and JR Aquino. – Nelson Beltran

gameface_one
03-16-2008, 01:20 AM
ABS-CBN inks deal with PBA for Ateneo-La Salle benefit game

ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corp. president Charo Santos-Concio and Philippine Basketball Association Chairman of the Board of Governors Mr. Antonio Chua (Red Bull Barako) led the contract signing for the 1st PBA Ateneo-La Salle Showdown - a benefit game for the Players' Educational Trust Fund.

Also present were Peter Musngi, ABS-CBN Vice-President for Sports; Alberto Dy Sun, President and CEO Yakult Philippines Inc.; and Ricky Santos, PBA Technical Operations Director.

Former Blue Eagles and Green Archers currently playing in the PBA will make up the rosters of the teams that will play on March 23 at the Araneta Coliseum, Quezon City. The game will be aired live on Studio 23 at 3:30 pm.

The Ateneo team, coached by Talk N Text mentor Chot Reyes, will be composed of players Enrico Villanueva, Larry Fonacier, JC Intal, Paolo Bugia, Wesley Gonzales, LA Tenorio, Doug Kramer, Macky Escalona, Magnum Membrere, Gec Chia and veteran Olsen Racela.

On the other hand, the La Salle squad will be coached by Barangay Ginebra's Jong Uichico and have La Salle players RenRen Ritualo, Don Allado, Mark Telan, Mark Cardona, Mike Cortez, Adonis Sta. Maria, Ryan Arana, Carlo Sharma, Willie Wilson, Joseph Yeo, JunJun Cabatu and JR Aquino.

The benefit game was conceptualized by PBA Commissioner Sonny Barrios and the Board of Governors with the project's proceeds going directly to the Educational Trust Fund (ETF).

The Ateneo-La Salle charity game will be presented by Yakult.

ETF, which handles the tuition fees of the children of former PBA players, is more important now, after some basketball celebrities got embroiled in yet another investor scam.

Some of those affected by the latest scam involving the Royal Manchester Five Trading Corporation include Ginebra Gin Kings players Rafi Reavis (P8.9 million); Johnny and his wife Mary Ann Abarrientos (P6.9 million, with another P2.5 million from Johnny); Mark Macapagal (P2.5 million), former Purefoods Hotdogs coach Eric Altamirano and his wife Marissa (P1.2 million and P0.889 million, respectively), and Alaska cager Edward Juinio (P7.2 million).

Along with almost 3,000 other investors, they claim to have lost at least P2.1 billion in a currency investment scam allegedly engineered by RMF's President Cyrus Yap Hao, who hails from Pilar, Sorsogon; and Renato San Juan, Vice President for Marketing.

"It (the benefit game) is timely, considering the recent news about scams," said Dizon.

gameface_one
03-18-2008, 08:10 AM
LA SALLE VS ATENEO
mb.com.ph

PBA basketball rules apply

Organizers behind the 1st PBA Ateneo vs La Salle showdown are looking forward to a competitive but highly entertaining duel between the two rival schools on Easter Sunday.

Hopefully, the exhibition game would be a peaceful one – not unlike the last time the two schools played where it was marred by a fight.

The March 23 duel, slated at the Araneta Coliseum and sponsored by Yakult Health Drink, being a PBA organized ballgame, will also adopt the same rules and patterns applied in the pro league.

"Since it is an officially PBA sanctioned event, then the game will be played under the same rules as the PBA," said Executive Director Rickie Santos. "Meaning if a player is assessed a flagrant 2 foul and ejected out of the game for an automatic suspension, chances are he’ll be serving out the suspension by the coming Fiesta Conference."

The charity match, proceeds of which goes directly to the PBA Players’ Educational Trust fund, will be pitting former La Salle and Ateneo players currently playing in the pro league.

The event is set at 4 p.m. and will be televised live on Studio 23.

A near free-for-all erupted in the last Ateneo-La Salle exhibition showdown in 2005 also at the Big Dome as Archer Joseph Yeo bludgeoned Blue Eagle Enrico Villanueva on the bridge of his nose, leaving the former UAAP Most Valuable Player and current San Miguel Beerman a bloody mess.

The incident almost led to a near walkout by the entire Ateneo squad.

"We’ll be a little stricter this time. As much as possible we want to avoid the same incident that happened three years ago during a similar Ateno-La Salle exhibition game. This is all about friendly competition since this is for a worthy cause," said Commissioner Renauld ‘Sonny’ Barrios, also the same man who put up the 2005 showcase in tandem with then top league honcho Noli Eala and Vintage boss Carlos ‘Bobong’ Velez.

Villanueva will be back again to banner the Ateneo side, also composed of Larry Fonacier, Paolo Bugia, Gec Chia, Doug Kramer, JC Intal, LA Tenorio, Wesley Gonzales, Macky Escalona, Magnum Membrere and the unsinkable Olsen Racela.

Talk ‘N Text mentor Chot Reyes will be calling the shots for the Eagles.

Yeo, not yet a pro during that fight-marred incident, is listed in the La Salle roster along with Mack Cardona, Carlos Sharma, Mike Cortez, RenRen Ritualo, Adonis Sta. Maria, Don Allado, Mark Telan, JR Aquino, Ryan Arana, Junjun Cabatu and Willie Wilson.

Barangay Ginebra’s Jong Uichico takes over the coaching rein from Red Bull’s Yeng Guiao and will call the shots for the Green Archers.

For the record, Ateneo won that highly-contested match, 88-85, as Villanueva bucked the bloody injury he suffered by sinking the game-winning three-pointer in the final seconds.

5FootCarrot
03-18-2008, 04:10 PM

always expecting the worse, huh?

I, too, would not be surprised if Joseph Yeo figured in another incident in this game. His recent altercation with James Yap shows that he still has that effect of bringing out the "worse" in his opponents.

gameface_one
03-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Ateneo vs La Salle
mb.com.ph

Business as usual in this rivalry

For whatever cause they’re playing and whatever rules in effect, the Ateneo Blue Eagles and La Salle Green Archers are expected to live up to its slambang tradition.

This is the same prognosis of coaches Chot Reyes and Jong Uichico for the 1st PBA Ateneo vs La Salle Showdown set on Easter Sunday at the Araneta Coliseum expect no less from their wards though this game is only an exhibition.

"For sure, the intensity will be there. We all know that every time these two teams play, for whatever cause, it’s always a battle," said Reyes.

"It’s going to be like their UAAP days. They will relive their rivalry during their college days. The pride will still be there," said Uichico.

Reyes and Uichico should know what they’re saying, themselves having been part of the storied rivalry.

Reyes played for Ateneo and Uichico suited up with La Salle in the early '80s.

Commissioner Renauld "Sonny" Barrios has said they will be strict, himself expecting highly-charged encounter between the arch rivals.

Barrios was on the sideline as part of the organizing group when a fight between Enrico Villanueva and Joseph Yeo erupted during a similar Ateneo-La Salle exhibition game two years ago in the same venue.

Reyes also called the shots for the Eagles then while Uichico bannered the La Salle team in the preliminary match pitting players by the two schools in the '60s, '70s and '80s.

La Salle won this match but Ateneo took the main game, 88-85, on a three-point shot by Villanueva in the closing seconds.

"That was just an exhibition game but the boys will surely come out playing hard to get even," said Uichico, subbing for coach Yeng Guiao who held the rein for La Salle in the previous match.

The charity match, presented by Yakult Health Drink, is set at 4 p.m. and will be televised live on Studio 23. Proceeds of the event will be for the PBA Players’ Educational Trust Fund.

Eyeing revenge for La Salle are Yeo, Mack Cardona, Carlos Sharma, Mike Cortez, RenRen Ritualo, Adonis Sta. Maria, Don Allado, Mark Telan, JR Aquino, Ryan Arana, Junjun Cabatu and Willie Wilson.

Ateneo seeks a repeat win, banking on Villanueva, Larry Fonacier, Paolo Bugia, Gec Chia, Doug Kramer, JC Intal, L.A Tenorio, Wesley Gonzales, Macky Escalona, Magnum Membrere, Rich Alvarez and Olsen Racela.

stonecold316
03-19-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm not an Ateneo or La Salle fan pero ok ang mga ganitong games na ang intention eh mag raise ng funds.

Anyway, sana nga huwag na mag-away ang mga players kasi kung tutuusin hindi na sila mga bata at mga mama na sila. Ok pa nung nasa college sila kasi hindi pa sila mature nun as players that's why most of the time nao-overcome sila ng emotion nila leading to dirty tricks against the opposing player/s.

Sana si Rico at Joseph nag mature na rin. Last time nagharap ang Ateneo at La Salle nung 2005, kamuntik na silang magpatayan. Hindi ba ang pangit tignan na galing sila sa mga premiere schools and yet nag-aasal hayop sila sa court.
;D ;D ;D

stonecold316

gameface_one
03-20-2008, 10:31 AM
PBA ‘scholars’ Banal, Gaston support Ateneo-La Salle match

Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 01:26:00 03/20/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Coaches Joel Banal and Fritz Gaston know how important the PBA Players Educational Trust Fund is.

Small surprise that they were among the first people to vouch for the importance of the Ateneo-La Salle showdown on Easter Sunday at the Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City.

Banal and Gaston were the among the first beneficiaries of the players’ trust fund, an account opened by the league to help retired players with their educational needs.

That account will be the main beneficiary of the exhibition match between the two fierce collegiate rivals.

Banal and Gaston availed of their respective privileges to pursue higher education after college and beyond their professional basketball careers.

Through the league’s trust fund, the two ex-PBA players were able to attain their masteral degrees at the Asian Institute of Management (AIM). Gaston acquired a masters degree in Business Management (1986-88) while Banal had his masters in Entrepreneurship (2001-02).

“The trust fund came to me at the right time,” said Banal, 50, and current assistant coach to Tim Cone at Alaska. “This was after my MBA days when I had no coaching job and I didn’t have any plans of being an employee.”

That time, Banal’s family had just established the 2nd MOM Pre-School and the Domus Chola International School.

“But I wanted to improve it owing to the growing number of competitions and the answer was to take up this course (entrepreneurship) from a top school which really helped to make our school stand out from the rest.”

Banal played for six seasons in the PBA from 1981 to 1986 and suited up for only one team, Great Taste.

Gaston also had a tour of duty with Great Taste, his last team in the league, in a career that spanned from 1979 to 1986 and included stops with U-Tex, San Miguel, Crispa and Manila Beer.

“I was already in my last year of playing and I felt that I wanted more than just playing basketball,” recalled the 51-year-old Gaston, the women’s team coach in last year’s 24th Southeast Asian Games in Thailand.

“I wanted to go back to school again, but I was already aiming for top education and that time, I felt only AIM could give me that quality education where I can land a senior-level hiring position after I graduate.”

“(The PBA trust fund) paid for my tuition fee, dorms, books and other school needs. So what more can I ask for.”

His masteral degree in Business Management allowed Gaston to work abroad for almost six years.

“I hope both Fritz Gaston and Joel Banal would be an inspiration to all PBA players and also avail of their privileges allowed under the trust fund,” said commissioner Sonny Barrios.

Presented by Yakult Health Drink, the charity match is set at 4 p.m. and will be aired live over Studio 23.

Gaston, a vital cog of Ateneo de Manila University’s champion teams in the mid-70s, gave the school the men’s varsity title in 1988 while Banal did it 14 years later in 2002. Both were achieved at the expense of De La Salle University.

stonecold316
03-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Good luck sa Ateneo vs DLSU match.

Hope maging successful ang fundraising campaign nila at ng PBA.

stonecold316

gameface_one
03-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Ateneo, La Salle basketball alumni face-off for a cause
abs-cbnnews.com

The most bitter and celebrated rivalry in Philippine college basketball will take on a new twist as former Ateneo and La Salle players currently playing in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) face off on Easter Sunday for a cause.

The 1st PBA Ateneo-La Salle Showdown, a benefit game for the PBA Players' Educational Trust Fund, will be held at the Araneta Coliseum Sunday afternoon.

Former Blue Eagles and Green Archers currently playing in the PBA will make up the rosters of the teams that will play.

The Ateneo team, coached by Talk N Text mentor Chot Reyes, will be composed of players Enrico Villanueva, Larry Fonacier, JC Intal, Paolo Bugia, Wesley Gonzales, LA Tenorio, Doug Kramer, Macky Escalona, Magnum Membrere, Gec Chia and veteran Olsen Racela.

On the other hand, the La Salle squad will be coached by Barangay Ginebra's Jong Uichico and have La Salle players RenRen Ritualo, Don Allado, Mark Telan, Mark Cardona, Mike Cortez, Adonis Sta. Maria, Ryan Arana, Carlo Sharma, Willie Wilson, Joseph Yeo, JunJun Cabatu and JR Aquino.

The benefit game was conceptualized by PBA Commissioner Sonny Barrios and the Board of Governors with the project's proceeds going directly to the Educational Trust Fund (ETF).

The fund, which handles the tuition fees of the children of former PBA players, is more important now after some basketball celebrities got embroiled in another investor scam.

The charity game will be presented by Yakult Health Drink. The game will be aired live on Studio 23 at 3:30 p.m.

james_ty
03-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Sina Sev Sarmenta at Andy Jao ang mag-co-cover ng game.

Sana mga courtside, sina Patty Laurel at George Rocha or Sharon Yu and Vanna Lim!

yuck_UE
03-23-2008, 03:14 PM
less than an hour to go...

any idea about ticket rates?

TIA

james_ty
03-23-2008, 03:41 PM
PBA Ticket prices ang gagamitin. P20 sa general admission and P600 for courtside.

stonecold316
03-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Eagles, Archers mix it up today for charity

By Waylon Galvez

No title is at stake, but expect a battle royale when former players from rival schools De La Salle University and Ateneo clash in the 1st PBA Ateneo versus La Salle Showdown at the Araneta Coliseum.

"We all know that every time these two teams play, for whatever cause, it’s always a battle," Talk ‘N Text head coach Chot Reyes, who will call the shots for the Blue Eagles, said. "The intensity will be there always."

The charity match, presented by Yakult Health Drink, is set at 4 p.m. with the proceeds going to the PBA Players’ Educational Trust Fund.

The game between La Salle and Ateneo, arguably considered as the most colorful rivalry in Philippine college basketball, will be televised live on Studio 23.

"It’s going to be like their UAAP days. They will relive their rivalry during their college days. The pride is always there," said Ginebra coach Jong Uichico who will handle the Green Archers.

Both Reyes and Uichico played and coached Ateneo and La Salle, respectively, in the early 80s.

Playing for the Archers are Sta. Lucia’s Joseph Yeo, Talk ‘N Text’s Mac-Mac Cardona, Ren-Ren Ritualo and Don Allado, Red Bull’s Carlos Sharma, Coca-Cola’s Mark Telan, Welcoat’s Adonis Sta. Maria and Ryan Arana, Ginebra’s JR Aquino, Alaska’s Junjun Cabatu, and Magnolia Beverage’s Willie Wilson and newly acquired Mike Cortez.

The Eagles, on the other hand, will practically have the roster of the 2002 team that won the UAAP championship.

With the exception of Magnolia’s Olsen Racela who starred for Ateneo in the late 80 and early 90s, also tapped to play are Magnolia’s Rico Villanueva and Wesley Gonzales, Alaska’s new recruits LA Tenorio and Larry Foncier, Red Bull’s Rich Alvarez, Paolo Bugia and Magnum Membrere, Air21’s Gec Chia, Doug Kramer and JC Intal, and Ginebra’s Macky Escalona.

Two years back, La Salle and Ateneo actually played in a similar exhibition match that was marred by a fight between Villanueva and Yeo.

PBA commissioner Renauld "Sonny" Barrios was then on the sideline as part of the organizing group when a fight erupted when Yeo punched Villanueva, leaving the former with a bloodied nose.

Barrios said that the PBA will be strict, as he himself expects a highly-charged encounter between the two teams.

Ateneo won, 88-85, courtesy of a last-gasp three-pointer by Villanueva.

Reyes, who called the shots in the previous encounter of the two teams, said that the player match-ups are just about even, although he admitted that La Salle has the more experienced players like Allado and Telan.

Aside from beating La Salle in an exhibition game two years ago, Ateneo also won over its rival in a classic three-game championship showdown during the 2002 UAAP Finals.

The Ateneo-La Salle charity game will be played a week before the league’s import-flavored Smart Fiesta Cup comes off the wraps.

stonecold316
03-23-2008, 06:13 PM
78-74 DLSU, six minutes left!

stonecold316
03-23-2008, 06:15 PM
84-79 DLSU, 4:24 left

nagpapalitan lang ng baskets ang Ateneo at DLSU. Grabe lamang ng DLSU sa rebounds, almost 20.

stonecold316

stonecold316
03-23-2008, 06:20 PM
84-83 - DLSU, nakascore Villanueva. Bola ng Ateneo pero miss Gonzales.

stonecold316
03-23-2008, 06:50 PM
The game finished tied at 90 all. Wesley Gonzales could have given Ateneo the win but he missed a long jumper.
Kudos to Mike Cortez for calmly sinking two freebies that tied the score at 90-all. Cool Cat talaga ang mama.

PS Bank Maaasahan Players of the game were
Enrico Villanueva -* 24 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, one steal
Carlos Sharma, 15 points, seven rebounds, one assist

Ganda ng laban. Congrats to both teams.

Sana next time

Ateneo vs UST
DLSU vs FEU
UST vs UE
FEU vs Ateneo

For me, ok na mga laban ito. Kung di ako nagkakamali FEU, UST and UE also has more than a dozen players in the PBA. Pwede rin magkaroon ng benefit games ang mga teams na ito.
:D :D :D

stonecold316

james_ty
03-23-2008, 07:01 PM
I saw Vanna Lim watching the game at the Big Dome. Dapat silang dalawa ni Sharon Yu ang courtside.

The Sev Sarmenta-Andy Jao tandem did a good job. Sana silang dalawa ang chief tandem ng PBA kapag napunta sa Studio 23 ang coverage next season.

atenean_blooded
03-23-2008, 07:02 PM
The game was pretty interesting. It was nice and tight, which was surprising. I expected La Salle to blow Ateneo out when they managed to erect a lead greater than 6 points, and thought they were well on their way to do that when the lead reached 11.

Great game by Cortez and Sharma for La Salle, and good games by Villanueva and Fonacier for the Ateneo. I was surprised that Ritualo wasn't fielded as much, was also pleasantly surprised by a good game from Wilson, and liked how Membrere, Intal, and Racela affected the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like no La Salle team has beaten an Ateneo team with the *2002 Blue Eagles at its core, after they won the championship in 2002. I don't know what to attribute that to, exactly. I just found it interesting.

sa_pula
03-23-2008, 07:13 PM
si enrico ba yung inaawat ni ritualo nong tapos na yung game?si cardona at yeo yata yung kasagutan, i think may sinabi yatang hindi maganda kay enrico.Nakita ko lang sa tv patapos na e. tapos nung nilipat ko sa cha 2 binalita rin,nkita ko si sharma kinakausap na si enrico.

james_ty
03-23-2008, 07:26 PM
The game was pretty interesting. It was nice and tight, which was surprising. I expected La Salle to blow Ateneo out when they managed to erect a lead greater than 6 points, and thought they were well on their way to do that when the lead reached 11.

Great game by Cortez and Sharma for La Salle, and good games by Villanueva and Fonacier for the Ateneo. I was surprised that Ritualo wasn't fielded as much, was also pleasantly surprised by a good game from Wilson, and liked how Membrere, Intal, and Racela affected the game.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like no La Salle team has beaten an Ateneo team with the *2002 Blue Eagles at its core, after they won the championship in 2002. I don't know what to attribute that to, exactly. I just found it interesting.

If I may add, Joseph Yeo wasn't used in the closing seconds. Major coaching blunder by Uichico.

stonecold316
03-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Kahit si Sev at Andy napansin yun. Nagtataka ako kay Jong kung bakit hindi niya ginamit si Yeo considering magaling mag drive to the basket ang bata. Siguro, hindi siya familiar sa ninja! hehehe.

stonecold316

jembengzon
03-23-2008, 08:05 PM
si enrico ba yung inaawat ni ritualo nong tapos na yung game?si cardona at yeo yata yung kasagutan, i think may sinabi yatang hindi maganda kay enrico.Nakita ko lang sa tv patapos na e. tapos nung nilipat ko sa cha 2 binalita rin,nkita ko si sharma kinakausap na si enrico.

it was wesley and mac-mac, reliving their college days ;D no biggie, siguro alasahan tapos pikunan. they're all big boys, and know this is their day job now, and won't do anything stupid to jeopardize a good living :)

amdgc82
03-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Ateneo-La Salle charity match ends in a tie (http://ubelt.com/blogs/jonasterrado/viewpost.aspx?id=644)
Written by jonas_terrado
Sunday, March 23, 2008 8:39:00 PM*
http://ubelt.com/blogs/jonasterrado/viewpost.aspx?id=644

There was no winner between Ateneo and La Salleas both squads featuring current PBA cagers ended in a 90-90 draw in front of a sparse Easter Sunday crowd at the Araneta Coliseum.

Just like several of their memorable matches in the past, the two teams figured in an exchange of baskets in a hotly-contested last minute but no one went home with a victory to show as Wesley Gonzales missed a tough midrange jumper from the top of the key on the final play.

The pro league does not implement an overtime period in cases where exhibition games ended in a tie after 48 minutes of play.

It was a low-key end to a contest in which La Salle built a 10-point cushion only for Ateneo to come back with a late surge in the fourth quarter.

Magnolia’s Enrico Villanueva topscored for the Blue Eagles with 24 points along with 10 rebounds while former Red Bull teammate Carlos Sharma led the Green Archers with 15 points and seven rebounds.

Sharma actually was responsible for La Salle’s final two leads, first on a basket off a wrap around feed by Mike Cortez with 1:31 that gave them a 86-84 edge, and finally on a tough leaner off Villanueva with 47.2 ticks remaining for an 88-87 advantage.

On the other hand, Larry Fonacier gave Ateneo its first lead since the second quarter on a left elbow three with 1:10 left for an 87-86 lead, prior to Sharma’s key basket. Villanueva later sank two charities with 38.7 seconds to pull ahead, 89-88.

After Cortez missed a jumper, Gonzales drained one of two freebies off a foul with 26.9 seconds to go for a two-point margin, 90-88. But Cortez went back by draining two of his own free throws, seven seconds later to nail the final tally.

With the stalemate, the Taft-based pros failed to exact revenge after losing their previous reunion game against the Katipunan dribblers in 2005. At first, it looked as though they were on the verge of doing so.

The Jong Uichico-mentored squad took over in the middle of the third quarter on a 14-5 burst, as Mark Cardona scored six points during that stretch, including a layup past LA Tenorio, to take a 60-50 lead at the 5:32 mark.

But Ateneo, coached by Chot Reyes, slashed the deficit to three, 67-64, on a three-pointer by veteran Olsen Racela to jumpstart the final canto. However, La Salle answered right back by extending the margin to 76-68 with 8:21 remaining.

The Ateneans, though, slowly inched-in as Tenorio drilled a three, Villanueva scored four straight points, and Gonzales made a freethrow to even up the score at 84-84, with 1:39 in the ballgame.

Both teams figured in a tight first-half by trading leads in the first 24 minutes. But Don Allado and Mark Telan worked their way inside by pouring five straight points in the last two minutes to put La Salle up, 44-40, at intermission.

joelex
03-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Kahit si Sev at Andy napansin yun. Nagtataka ako kay Jong kung bakit hindi niya ginamit si Yeo considering magaling mag drive to the basket ang bata. Siguro, hindi siya familiar sa ninja! hehehe.

stonecold316

when they were trailing by a point and needing a basket, cardona and yeo was on the bench. coaching miscue by uichico negated by sharma's clutch baskets.

bad sight on tv, empty seats galore.

mangtsito
03-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Dapat kasi minsan sa isang dekada lang ang mga Ateneo-La Salle na laban sa labas ng UAAP, para hindi nakakasawa.

gameface_one
03-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Ateneo, La Salle ties at 90 at charity game

It was a tie for former Ateneo and La Salle hard court heroes when their pro-products met head on at an exciting charity showdown at the Araneta Coliseum Sunday night.

The score was chalked at 90-all.

It was a thrilling ride for both teams as Ateneo stalked arch rival La Salle for the first three quarters.

They went on a striking distance and even led at the fourth quarter at 90-88.

Archer Mike Cortez, however, was the saving grace for La Salle as he capped the game even with two charity shots.

At the first quarter, La Salle immediately went down to business with Ren Ren Ritualo and Don Allado leading the scoring spree. The quarter ended in favor of the Archers, 27-24.

Ateneo fought back at the second quarter with Enrico Villanueva leading the charge. The Eagles remained trailing at the end of the first half, 44-40.

Archers Allado and Joseph Yeo led the pack as La Salle continued to dominate in the third quarter with. The Eagles was even down by 12 points before ending the quarter behind La Salle, 67-61.

The fourth quarter turned into a mad scramble between both teams when the Eagles sprang back to life to tie with the Archers 84 all with 1:32 minutes remaining.

The lead went back and fourth with Ateneo and La Salle exchanging clutch baskets and charity points to seal the game 90-all.

The game was closed after four quarters since it was a charity game.

The starters for Ateneo's side were Villanueva, Gonzales, Doug Kramer, Larry Fonacier and LA Tenorio. The rest of the squad includes Gec Chia, JC Intal, Rich Alvarez, Magnum Membrere, Olsen Racela, Paolo Bugia, and Macky Escalona.

The first five for De La Salle's side were Allado Willie Wilson, Mike Cortez, Macmac Cardona and Carlo Sharma. Adding fire power were Ritualo, Yeo, Junjun Cabatu, Mark Telan, Adonis Sta. Maria, Jay-R Aquino, Ryan Arana.

PBA Players’ Educational Trust Fund

The benefit game was conceptualized by Philippine Basketball Association Commissioner Sonny Barrios and the Board of Governors with the project's proceeds going directly to the PBA Players’ Educational Trust Fund (ETF).

The fund, which handles the tuition of the children of former PBA players, is more important now after some basketball celebrities got embroiled in another investor scam.

The Ateneo-La Salle game could also be the first of a series of benefit games according to the PBA.

"We may also pit in the future other basketball rivalries like Letran-San Beda, Ateneo-San Beda, Letran-San Sebastian, UST-UE, FEU-La Salle and others," said PBA operations and technical chief Rickie Santos.

stonecold316
03-24-2008, 01:03 AM
Eagles, Archers battle to 90-all tie
spacer

Waylon Galvez

The fire, the passion and the intensity were all there when PBA players from college hoop’s glamour teams Ateneo and La Salle relived their rivalry yesterday at the historic Araneta Coliseum.

But it ended in an unexpected way: A draw.

In a charity game which usually gives no extra period to decide a match, the 1st PBA La Salle-Ateneo showdown ended – after 48 minutes of regulation play – with the score tied at 90-all.

Magnolia Beverage’s Wesley Gonzales missed a potential game-winning jumper at the top of the key that hit the back rim and bounced high before the final buzzer sounded in a tightly-contested game.

Enrico Villanueva of Magnolia led the PBA-Blue Eagles with double-double 24 points and 10 rebounds, while the PBA Green Archers got a game-high 15 markers from Red Bull’s Carlo Sharma.

"The battle for bragging rights was not resolved," PBA chairman Tony Chua of Red Bull said. "I certainly welcome a rematch, more so if it’s for a cause."

At least 6,000 alumni and supporters from both schools showed up at the 18,000-seater Big Dome.

The crowd was relatively small compared to the actual college game encounter between these bitter rivals – the Eagles and the Archers – that usually fill the basketball venues to the rafters.

But even with the small turnout from attendance, the exhibition match earned about P2 million from the combined sponsorship, particularly Yakult, revenue and TV commercials.

The game was televised live over ABS-CBS’s Studio 23.

Proceeds will go to the Players Educational Trust Fund that ex-pro can avail for the education of their children.

Barangay Ginebra’s Jong Uichico called the shots for PBA-La Salle, while PBA-Ateneo was handled by Talk ’N Text’s Chot Reyes.

The PBA-La Salle, which won five titles in six years from 1998 to 2003, led by as many as 11 points, 72-61, on a basket by Welcoat Paints rookie guard Ryan Arana with 10:21 left in the game.

Villanueva, Gonzales, Alaska’s new recruits LA Tenorio and Larry Fonacier connived in a 28-16 run capped by Villanueva’s two free throws of a foul by Coca-Cola’s Mark Telan to take an 89-88 lead with 38.7 seconds to go.

Gonzales gave the PBA-Ateneo a two-point lead, 90-88, when he split his pair of foul shots, but newly-acquired Magnolia playmaker Mike Cortez canned both free throws off Tenorio’s foul that leveled the score at 90-90 with 19.4 seconds left.

Although the Players Union is inactive for quite sometime now since former PBA player and current La Salle mentor Franz Pumaren served as its president in the late 90s, the program is still ongoing.

The PBA, according to league Executive Director Rickie Santos, has other plans similar to this game pitting pro players from rival schools to improve the trust fund of the union.

Others showdowns being considered according to Santos, who is the officer-in-charge while commissioner Sonny Barrios is in the United States, are University of Santo Tomas versus University of the East and NCAA back-toback champion San Beda College opposite Letran.

Also, the income from the All-Star Weekend festivities goes to the trust fund. Bacolod City will host this season’s All-Star set April 24 to 27.

stonecold316
03-24-2008, 01:09 AM
De La Salle, Ateneo charity game ends in 90-all draw
03/24/2008 | 12:16 AM

QUEZON CITY, Philippines - Forty-eight minutes of basketball are not enough for Ateneo and De La Salle.

This, after the match-up between the two bitter rivals in the first-ever PBA Ateneo versus La Salle showdown at the Araneta Coliseum Sunday afternoon ended in a 90-all draw.

Former Atenean gunner Wesley Gonzales, who now plays pro basketball for the Magnolia Beverage Masters, could have given his team the outright victory in regulation period but he missed a long jumper with no time remaining.

Earlier, Ateneo was leading by a measly two points at 90-88 when LA Tenorio, who was reportedly moving to the Alaska Aces from Magnolia together with Larry Fonancier after a trade was consummated by both teams early this week, fouled a driving Mike Cortez thus sending him to the line with 19.4 ticks left in the game.

Cortez, who has been christened “The Cool Cat" in the PBA circle, calmly sank both his freebies that knotted the count at 90-all, forcing Ateneo coach Chot Reyes to call his final time-out.

Fans that trooped to the Big Dome were hoping for an extension period but being a charity game, overtime is not allowed.

Big men Enrico Villanueva of Ateneo and Carlos Sharma of La Salle were named PS Bank co-Maaasahan Players of the game, after they tallied 24 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, one steal and 15 points, seven rebounds and one assist, respectively.

The biggest lead of the ball game, 11 points at 72-61, was erected by De La Salle early in the fouth period.

PBA Governor Tony Chua said the charity game was very important because the proceeds will directly go to the PBA Players’ Educational Trust Fund.

He also raised the possibility of holding another charity game sometime next year.

“I think we will hold additional charity events kasi baka maubusan ng charity fund ang mga PBA players. Maybe next year magkakaroon kami uli nito," Chua said.

A sizeable number of Ateneo and La Salle fans turned out to see the former collegiate players slug it out for pride and honor.

The Ateneo-La Salle charity game was played a week before the league’s import-flavored Smart Fiesta Cup comes off the wraps.

Those who played for the Archers include Sta. Lucia’s Joseph Yeo, Talk ‘N Text’s Mac-Mac Cardona, Ren-Ren Ritualo and Don Allado, Red Bull’s Carlos Sharma, Coca-Cola’s Mark Telan, Welcoat’s Adonis Sta. Maria and Ryan Arana, Ginebra’s JR Aquino, Alaska’s Junjun Cabatu and Magnolia Beverage’s Willie Wilson and newly acquired Mike Cortez.

The Eagles, on the other hand, practically had the roster of the 2002 team that won the UAAP championship.

With the exception of Magnolia’s Olsen Racela who starred for Ateneo in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s, also tapped to play were Magnolia’s Rico Villanueva and Wesley Gonzales, Alaska’s recruits LA Tenorio and Larry Foncier, Red Bull’s Rich Alvarez, Paolo Bugia and Magnum Membrere, Air21’s Gec Chia, Doug Kramer and JC Intal and Ginebra’s Macky Escalona.

Two years back, La Salle and Ateneo actually played in a similar exhibition match that was marred by a fight between Villanueva and Yeo.

PBA commissioner Renauld "Sonny" Barrios was then on the sideline as part of the organizing group when a fight erupted when Yeo punched Villanueva, leaving the former with a bloodied nose.

Ateneo won, 88-85, courtesy of a last-gasp three-pointer by Villanueva.

The scores:

Ateneo 90 – Villanueva 24, Gonzales 13, Racela 10, Fonacier 9, Tenorio 7, Alvarez 7, Chia 7, Intal 6, Kramer 5, Membrere 5, Bugia 4, Chia 0, Escalona 0.

La Salle 90 – Sharma 15, Yeo 13, Allado 11, Wilson 9, Cardona 8, Cortez 7, Telan 7, Cabatu 6, Ritualo 6, Arana 4, Sta. Maria 2, Aquino 2.

Quarterscores: PBA DLSU vs PBA ADMU
27-24, 44-40, 67-61, 90 all

JONAS HAO
03-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Macky Escalona was seen singing the DLSU alma mater song after the game.
Regarding that incident between Wild wild Wes and the Ninja, wala yun. Malamang nag-bibiruan lang yun. ;D

Great game for both teams.
Kudos to DLSU, ADMU, and the PBA.

Kid Cubao
03-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Macky Escalona was seen singing the DLSU alma mater song after the game.

yes, because macky finished grade school in LSGH :)

Regarding that incident between Wild wild Wes and the Ninja, wala yun. Malamang nag-bibiruan lang yun. ;D

ganyan talaga pag mag-best friends. actually nami-miss na nila yung isa pa nilang katsokaran, si mark abadia ;D

stonecold316
03-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Ateneo, La Salle ties at 90 at charity game

It was a tie for former Ateneo and La Salle hard court heroes when their professional players went on a head on collission at an exciting charity showdown at the Araneta Coliseum Sunday night. The score was chalked at 90-all.

The game proved to be a thrilling ride for both teams as the Eagles stalked arch rival Archers for the first three quarters. They went on a striking distance and even led at the fourth quarter at 90-88.

Archer Mike Cortez, however, was the saving grace for La Salle as he capped the game even with two charity shots.

At the first quarter, La Salle immediately went down to business with Macmac Cardona and Renren Ritualo leading the scoring spree. The quarter ended in favor of the Archers, 27-24.

Ateneo fought back at the second quarter with Magnum Membrere leading the charge. The Eagles remained trailing at the end of the first half, 44-40.

Eagle Olsen Racela sparked a 7-2 comeback hustling on both sides of the court after Ateneo went 12 points behind La Salle. La Salle’s Don Allado, however, fired back and gave the Archers the lead to wrap up the third, 67-61.

Enrico Villanueva and LA Tenorio gave it their all as the fourth quarter turned into a mad scramble between both teams. A three-pointer from Tenorio and a free throw from Wesley Gonzalez evened things up at 84 with 1.39 remaining.

From that point the lead went back and fourth with Ateneo and La Salle exchanging clutch baskets and charity shots. At the end of the regulation, the score was 90-all.

Since it was an exhibition match, there was no overtime, ending the game at a draw.

For the Archers, Coach Jong Uichico said, "it ended perfectly. Both teams played a good game and while we may have wanted to win, it still ended well. It's a win-win situation."

Ateneo mentor Chot Reyes, for his part, said: "with nothing on the line, we gave it our best. That's a warning to the people who didn't come out to watch today – never miss an Ateneo-La Salle game."

The starters for Ateneo's side were Villanueva, Gonzales, Tenorio, Doug Kramer, and Larry Fonacier. The rest of the squad includes Mebrere, Racela, Gec Chia, JC Intal, Rich Alvarez, Paolo Bugia, and Macky Escalona.

The first five for De La Salle's side were Allado, Cortez, Cardona, Willie Wilson and Carlo Sharma. Adding fire power were Ritualo, Joseph Yeo, Junjun Cabatu, Mark Telan, Adonis Sta. Maria, Jay-R Aquino, Ryan Arana.

PBA Players’ Educational Trust Fund

The benefit game was conceptualized by Philippine Basketball Association Commissioner Sonny Barrios and the Board of Governors with the project's proceeds going directly to the PBA Players’ Educational Trust Fund (ETF).

The fund, which handles the tuition of the children of former PBA players, is more important now after some basketball celebrities got embroiled in another investor scam.

The Ateneo-La Salle game could also be the first of a series of benefit games according to the PBA.

“We may also pit in the future other basketball rivalries like Letran-San Beda, Ateneo-San Beda, Letran-San Sebastian, UST-UE, FEU-La Salle and others,” said PBA operations and technical chief Rickie Santos. With a report from Anne Yosuico

gameface_one
03-25-2008, 09:15 AM
PBA wins big time in Ateneo-La Salle exhibition game

Cebu Daily News
First Posted 15:35:00 03/24/2008

If anybody were to script a perfect ending for a charity game between two rival schools, this was how he or she would have written it.

Ateneo and La Salle, trading big shots in the stretch, battled to a 90-all tie in their PBA Easter showdown at the Araneta Coliseum on Sunday, leaving the league as the big winner of the reunion match.

Ateneo had a final crack at a victory, the same as two years ago when Rico Villanueva made a triple in the dying seconds to lift the Blue Eagles, but Wesley Gonzales front-rimmed an 18-footer as time expired this time around.

There are no overtime periods in exhibition matches.

With no one emerging triumphant between the Eagles and the Archers, the winner was the PBA Players Educational Trust Fund—the event’s beneficiary—which added P2 million to its account.

The fund is for players to draw financial help from should they decide to pursue post-career studies.

The net gain was culled from the Yakult sponsorship of the match, gate receipts and the league’s 40 percent cut from the television revenues, which it split with ABS-CBN, which aired the match over its UHF channel, Studio 23.

The Blue Eagles battled back from double-digit deficits and even had the chance to get the win when it took the final possession of the game.

Tied at 90-apiece with 19.4 seconds left, Ateneo tried to melt the clock first before going to Wesley Gonzales, who launched a difficult turnaround jumper from the top of the key.

Gonzales also had a crucial missed free throw in the dying seconds that could have made the difference in the hard-fought contest.

Carlo Sharma came up big for La Salle in the entire match, capped off with a difficult jumper against the leech-like defense of Enrico Villanueva for an 88-87 Green Archers lead.

Villanueva finished with 24 points, 10 rebounds, one steal and one assist, while Sharma came away with 15 markers, seven boards and one assist. /Inquirer with reports from Correspondent Calvin D. Cordova