PDA

View Full Version : San Sebastian Stags & Staglets

Pages : [1] 2

Jeep
03-07-2008, 08:58 AM
checked out merriam-webster online. there is no such word in the english language as "staglet." :( be that as it may, we have, since san sebastian joined the NCAA (i believe they are not a founding member, but anyone please correct me on this), referred to their juniors team as the "staglets."

in any event, i was surprised that this fabled squad(s) doesn't have a thread at all here in gameface. kaya, simulan ko na.

maybe some of us can put down in writing here stories great and small about the san sebastian team. i am embarassed to admit that i do not know much about them, and am only aware of them through their contributions to the UAAP (paul lee and eric salamat being the more notable ones). and of course there is their very talented juniors MVP, ryan buenafe. whatever their program is in terms of its philosophy and strategy, it seems quite successful in developing individual talent at both the juniors and seniors levels. but it appears the juniors' program is more successful in developing the team as a single fighting unit because of the number of titles they have won. others may have a different take on this, though.

sana may maidadagdag ang iba nating mga kasama dito tungkol sa makasaysayang koponang ito.

oca
03-07-2008, 10:15 AM
That SSC-R's Junior team has been winning is a recent, very recent, occurence. It may as well be the destiny of those kids that they were part of the school's 3-peat.

Before the Eric Salamat-Ryan Buenafe-Bringas brothers c'ships, their last and only Juniors title was during the time of Johnedel Cardel in 1983(?). (Note:Anthony Servino made a correction on this point w/c was later also corrected by amdgc82. Read succeeding posts.)

The 3-peat of the the Staglets is meritorious taking into account how Eric Salamat and Paul Lee had made a good account of themselves in the UAAP and of course we know just how good (not yet dominant) Buenafe is.

But "destiny may have also aided this 3-peat". Withount diminishing the luster of those titles, allow me to explain my statement.

The first of the 3 titles was won on the year the Letran Squires forfeited their games due to the "ineligibility" of a player. That season was one of the most exciting Jrs competition in NCAA history. Kontra-pelo sa isa't isa ang SSC-R, Letran at San Beda.

Di manalo ang Staglets over the Squires, Squires can't defeat the Red Cubs (but their second loss was on a buzzer beater 3-pt shot by Victorino), then the Red Cub split their games vs the Staglets (and imo, swerte pa yung panalong iyon ng Red Cubs).

My assessment then was that the Squires, powered by Tagarda and Green (nasaan na kaya itong batang ito?), were the favorites. They were on top of the rankings until the forfeiture of their games.

Salamat/ Buenafe/ Bringas brothers were a much better team than the Hermida/ Principe/and* then underclassman Marcelo. Kaya madali nilang nakuha yung title. But I seriously doubt they would have won over the Squires.

The 2nd of the 3 titles, imo, also had destiny's hand meddling in it rather than pure talents deciding who will be the champion.

Salamat was already in Ateneo, and this was Buenafe's team now. In the elims SSC-R spilt it's games vs contenders Red Cubs and Baby Dolphins led by now Red Lions Pascual and Anacta. In a crucial 2nd round encounter that would have given the Red Cubs twice to beat advantage, the Baby Dolphins won and marched to the finals vs the Staglets.

It was a closely contested Game 1 in the championship- Staglets vs Baby Dolphins. The latter in control for most part of the game. The Recto boys rallied "aided by the San Beda gallery", who were waiting for the start of their own series vs the Espina-Castro-Belga led Dolphins. The Staglets completed their rally and won game 1, and won Game 2 convincingly to score a Back2Back. At the end of Game 1, the Staglets faced the Bedan gallery and raised their hands applauding, an acknowledgement of how another schools support had helped them win that game.

Where was destiny's hand here?

The following summer, the Baby Dolphins lineup was found to have "identity switched players". Overaged players who assumed the names of someone else younger so they can play in the Juniors competition. They had no right to be competing to begin with. The school would eventually be suspended for the following season.

Rightfully, it should have been the Staglets vs Red Cubs in S82. Patas ang laban na ito as shown by their 1-1 matchup in the eliminations. It could have gone either way, offense of Buenafe vs defense of Marcelo. But that title series didn't happen be due to that cheating.

The 3rd title was...... hands down, rightfully belongs to SSC-R. A graduating Buenafe is just too mature for anyone to contain. He was simply dominant!

Can the Staglets make it 4 straight?

Post NCAA tournaments showed the Squires, led by 20+ pt scorer Alas, are back after beating the Staglets in the PSBL. The Red Cubs will always be contenders. LSGH has a new coach (Buti naman, that team is the epitome of an underachiever) and should be as competitive as their grade school, passarelle, psbl, prada and aspirants team and JRU has a good shooting team.

I don't see Bringas leading the team to a 4th title. If Gusi matures fast enough, in tandem with Bringas they may, but still unlikely. Pero, they will remain contenders.

As for the Seniors, the Stags... sa ibang araw naman.

Joescoundrel
03-07-2008, 11:52 AM
The last dominant Stags team was the one that had Rodney Santos and a then-burgeoning Rommel Adducul, back in the early to mid-1990's. Those teams were like the dominant UST teams of the same period. I cannot recall who the other good players were in those San Sebastian teams.

Oca, were Banjo Calpito, Brix Encarnacion and Ulysses Tanigue on those Santos-Adducul teams?

King_stag
03-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I think gusi is ready to step-up, he's a speedy guard and has tons of moves for a kid. One thing i noticed is the reserve frontcourt of the staglets. Mamaril and Ramsey these guys are BIG. The former is 6'5" and the latter is 6'4". Mamaril seen limited action last year, but will be ready to contribute if he *lose a couple of Lbs (he is quite soft). Ramsey on the other hand is a solid Forward, But he has to develop more post moves and improve his jumper.

King_stag
03-07-2008, 12:02 PM
The team That won back to back titles Consisting of Leo Najorda (Red Bull), Nicole Uy, Chris Baluyot, Christian Coronel, Jam Alfad, Pep Moore, Ed legarde, Mike Gonzales, and Paul Reguerra.

oca
03-07-2008, 12:32 PM
The last dominant Stags team was the one that had Rodney Santos and a then-burgeoning Rommel Adducul, back in the early to mid-1990's. Those teams were like the dominant UST teams of the same period. I cannot recall who the other good players were in those San Sebastian teams.

Oca, were Banjo Calpito, Brix Encarnacion and Ulysses Tanigue on those Santos-Adducul teams?

That was a 5-year reign! Ang daming nag-abot-abot na players, from the 1st title to the tail end of their suprmemacy. Sa palagay ko, all the players you mentioned were part of that reign. I could be wrong for it is more easy to recall the acknowledged stars of the team.

AnthonyServinio
03-07-2008, 12:57 PM
That SSC-R's Junior team has been winning is a recent, very recent, occurence. It may as well be the destiny of those kids that they were part of the school's 3-peat.

Before the Eric Salamat-Ryan Buenafe-Bringas brothers c'ships, their last and only Juniors title was during the time of Johnedel Cardel in 1983(?).

PRIOR to their current three-year reign, the last NCAA Juniors crown won by San Sebastian was way back in 1976.

Johnedel Cardel spent his high school days at the then Jose Rizal College. He spent his first year college in 1987-1988 at San Sebastian.

oca
03-07-2008, 01:04 PM
The saddest part of SSC-R's championships is that it came at a time when the NCAA was at the low ebb of its existence. Hindi maalala ng common fan yung champion Stags of the mid to late-80's where almost all in their roster became PBA players. Eto yung panahon nila Macaraya, Dela Cruz, Rivera, Hatton, et al and the "baby" in their line-up then was a certain Paul Alvarez. Then, yung panahon ni Adducul, pwedeng sabihing one of the all-time strongest line-up in college history yun. Pero it didn't received the accolade it deserve. Then halos walang nagbabanggit sa huling titles nila in the Najorda era of early 2000.

All because the league itself , during the 80's, hasn't fully recovered from the hooliganism of the late 70s; while in the 90s there was no vision of going beyond the old school sports league. Pagpasok ng year 2000, ito naman ang panahong talagang bumulok pataas ang public awareness sa UAAP, w/c rendered the NCAA as a second class league by perception.

Parang ang nangyari sa conquest ng Stags, it happened when nobody cared about the NCAA. But those were true and real strong teams.

Kaya para mapag-usapan yang "championship years" na iyan, NGAYON dapat bumalik sa NC' finals ang Stags! At the very least, a trip to the finals will highlight those past glories.

oca
03-07-2008, 01:05 PM

Before the Eric Salamat-Ryan Buenafe-Bringas brothers c'ships, their last and only Juniors title was during the time of Johnedel Cardel in 1983(?).

* * *PRIOR to their current three-year reign, the last NCAA Juniors crown won by San Sebastian was way back in 1976.

* * *Johnedel Cardel spent his high school days at the then Jose Rizal College.* He spent his first year college in 1987-1988 at San Sebastian.

If you say so, Anthony. I was writing from recall and maybe the glitch... I wonder who were in that 1976 champion team.

amdgc82
03-07-2008, 01:07 PM
* * *PRIOR to their current three-year reign, the last NCAA Juniors crown won by San Sebastian was way back in 1976.

* * *Johnedel Cardel spent his high school days at the then Jose Rizal College.* He spent his first year college in 1987-1988 at San Sebastian.

Last title prior to the three titles was in 1986 led by Arnold Adlawan.

AnthonyServinio
03-07-2008, 01:11 PM

If you say so, Anthony. I was writing from recall and maybe the glitch... I wonder who were in that 1976 champion team.

THAT was what Coach Raymond Valenzona said in his post-game interview when he won the first of his three crowns, 1976. If ever, the 1976 champion players must be in their late 40s to early 50s by now.

AnthonyServinio
03-07-2008, 01:17 PM

Last title prior to the three titles was in 1986 led by Arnold Adlawan.

A QUICK grab of the NCAA souvenir program certifies 1986 as the correct answer. Arnold Adlawan was a very short but high flying point guard who also made it as the back-up point guard on the 1986 RP Junior NT. Not much has been heard of him since then.

oca
03-07-2008, 01:17 PM

* * *THAT was what Coach Raymond Valenzona said in his post-game interview when he won the first of his three crowns, 1976.* If ever, the 1976 champion players must be in their late 40s to early 50s by now.

I had placed a "?" in my original post dahil hindi ako sigurado. Pero sigurado ako may isang title sa 80s ang Staglets w/c was mentioned by amdgc82 a few post after. Baka may memory gap na si Raymond. *;D ;D ;D

AnthonyServinio
03-07-2008, 01:21 PM

* * *THAT was what Coach Raymond Valenzona said in his post-game interview when he won the first of his three crowns, 1976.* If ever, the 1976 champion players must be in their late 40s to early 50s by now.

I had placed a "?" in my original post dahil hindi ako sigurado. Pero sigurado ako may isang title sa 80s ang Staglets w/c was mentioned by amdgc82 a few post after. Baka may memory gap na si Raymond. *;D ;D ;D

THAT'S OK, the correct answer is indeed 1986-1987, perhaps Coach Valenzona was so happy to win the title that it's understandable if he had a sudden memory gap.

lurkinggood
03-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Was Eugene Quilban part of the SSC NCAA Champion team that defeated a Jun Reyes-led Ateneo UAAP Champs in the late 80's?

oca
03-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Was Eugene Quilban part of the SSC NCAA Champion team that defeated a Jun Reyes-led Ateneo UAAP Champs in the late 80's?

Quilban was a mainstay of SSC in the lates 80s. In 1991 he was drafted in the PBA and later voted ROY.

Nasayang ang career dahil sa kung anong bintang, na ewan ko kung napatunayan ba o hindi.

MonL
03-07-2008, 11:15 PM

That was a 5-year reign! Ang daming nag-abot-abot na players, from the 1st title to the tail end of their suprmemacy. Sa palagay ko, all the players you mentioned were part of that reign. I could be wrong for it is more easy to recall the acknowledged stars of the team.

Add long range bomber Jasper Ocampo to the mix. Calpito was shorter but more muscular than Adducul. They were Bruise Brothers in their own right and owned the paint during their time.

Joescoundrel
03-09-2008, 11:21 AM

Quilban was a mainstay of SSC in the lates 80s. In 1991 he was drafted in the PBA and later voted ROY.

Nasayang ang career dahil sa kung anong bintang, na ewan ko kung napatunayan ba o hindi.

If we are talking about 1989 then yes, that was Eugene Quilban. His teammates included a then very young center named Stevenson Solomon, whose brute Benjie Paras-like strength overwhlemed reed thin Ateneo center Danny Francisco.

As for Qulban's own career, before Johnny was ever known as the Flying A, Quilban thoroughly OWNED Abarrientos. Ironically Abarrientos would enjoy his greatest basketball success as Quilban's successor at the Point for the Alaska grand slam team of the mid-1990's.

danny
04-04-2008, 02:49 AM
The saddest part of SSC-R's championships is that it came at a time when the NCAA was at the low ebb of its existence. Hindi maalala ng common fan yung champion Stags of the mid to late-80's where almost all in their roster became PBA players. Eto yung panahon nila Macaraya, Dela Cruz, Rivera, Hatton, et al and the "baby" in their line-up then was a certain Paul Alvarez. Then, yung panahon ni Adducul, pwedeng sabihing one of the all-time strongest line-up in college history yun. Pero it didn't received the accolade it deserve. Then halos walang nagbabanggit sa huling titles nila in the Najorda era of early 2000.

All because the league itself , during the 80's, hasn't fully recovered from the hooliganism of the late 70s; while in the 90s there was no vision of going beyond the old school sports league. Pagpasok ng year 2000, ito naman ang panahong talagang bumulok pataas ang public awareness sa UAAP, w/c rendered the NCAA as a second class league by perception.

Parang ang nangyari sa conquest ng Stags, it happened when nobody cared about the NCAA. But those were true and real strong teams.

Kaya para mapag-usapan yang "championship years" na iyan, NGAYON dapat bumalik sa NC' finals ang Stags! At the very least, a trip to the finals will highlight those past glories.

Quilban(SSC)-Ayson(Letran) match up was so intense during the firecracker days of the NCAA. The games between Baste and Letran were only for the brave (80s). You always come prepared for the unexpected. Remnants of the old era which eventually subsided in time.

Yup. As hardcore hoop lovers, we've got to give respect to these teams which the commercialized media and impressionalbe fan boys/girls failed to acknowledge. Basketball ang dapat pinapanood at hindi TV commercials.

Joescoundrel
04-04-2008, 11:43 AM
I wonder whatever became of Baste glamor boys Toying Teves and Django Rivera?

joelex
04-05-2008, 05:33 AM
San Sebsatian is in good hands with Coach Gallent at the helm...

Regular Grey
04-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Many are predicting that it's SBC vs Stags this year sa NC

Joescoundrel
04-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Are Jim Viray, Jason Ballesteros and Enchong De Leon still with Baste?

LION
04-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Are Jim Viray, Jason Ballesteros and Enchong De Leon still with Baste?

Jim Viray and Jason Ballesteros played in the recently concluded FMC Cup so that means they are still with Baste.

De Leon I believe is no longer eligible this year.

The_Big_Cat
04-15-2008, 11:49 AM
If we are talking about 1989 then yes, that was Eugene Quilban. His teammates included a then very young center named Stevenson Solomon, whose brute Benjie Paras-like strength overwhlemed reed thin Ateneo center Danny Francisco.

I remember this game. This was after the NCAA and UAAP season. San Sebastian and Ateneo were the top 2 collegiate teams then. They played at the ULTRA, San Sebastian defeated Ateneo. Solomon was able to contain Francisco. The 6'5" Solomon had a more muscular body. "Bato-bato" compared to the 6'7" Danny Francisco's lean frame.

Francisco announced his retirement (heart/respiratory problems) during his PABL stint. Francisco played alongside La Salle"s 6'6" Jun Limpot in the Magnolia Ice Cream coached by Derek Pumaren.

Solomon was bothered by knee injuries in his PBA career. Drafted and played for Alaska, he was traded to Ginebra in exchange for then rookie Jeffrey Cariaso.

King_stag
04-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Viray and Ballesteros will suit up for their final year.. I just hope jason ballesteros will be 100%, he had a nasty spill two weeks ago, he just shrugd it off. I hope it's not something serious.

batangueño
04-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Mga Kabayan mula sa Baste, tanong lang. Connected pa ba si Coach Turo Valenzona with the San Sebastian men's basketball program? ???

AnthonyServinio
04-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Mga Kabayan mula sa Baste, tanong lang. Connected pa ba si Coach Turo Valenzona with the San Sebastian men's basketball program? ???

AS per the latest grapevine talk, Coach Arturo Valenzona is likely to accept the head coaching position of the Olivarez College Sea Lions for the coming UCAA and NCRAA wars.

King_stag
04-15-2008, 09:41 PM
He was one of the assistant coaches of FEU last year, but i still see him during scrimmages of baste and some tune-up games.

bchoter
04-16-2008, 09:01 AM
San Sebastian has a 6'4" recruit from Tarlac who, like Najorda, has nifty post moves but can jack it up form the outside. They also have similar built at the same age. The recruit is only 15 years old and has represented CLARAA twice in the Palarong Pambansa.

LION
04-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Bchoter, are you referring to the older Najorda or the younger one? ;D

bchoter
04-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Siyempre si manong :D. Incidentally, the 6'4" kid from Tarlac is also an Ilocano like Najorda. Ikinikatok ko palang for UST eh nadalaw na pala ng Baste sa bahay nila sa Tarlac. I swear Tarlac is a hotbed of bball right now. Pati Adamson daw nagpaparamdam din sa CLRAA

Kid Cubao
04-16-2008, 10:00 AM
actually maraming higante sa central luzon at sa ilocos region, bchoter. many of the bigs in college and even in the pros come from that part of the country. down south is where you'll find quality wingmen and bigs who have range.

bchoter
04-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Sama mo na rin ang Cagayan and Isabela Kid although Ilocos Sur and Norte leads them pa rin.
Tarlac placed 2nd in the CLRAA at parang highest finish nila for a long stretch ang this year madaming quality HS seniors don.

toti_mendiola
04-16-2008, 12:08 PM
San Sebastian has a 6'4" recruit from Tarlac who, like Najorda, has nifty post moves but can jack it up form the outside. They also have similar built at the same age. The recruit is only 15 years old and has represented CLARAA twice in the Palarong Pambansa.

Good for the SSC-R Stags

person
04-16-2008, 08:00 PM
that's good to hear that Baste has a recruit with potential.. just wondering..will nasayao suit up for Baste? what about the Bringas brothers? si Arvie may one year pa sa Jrs..

King_stag
04-16-2008, 11:46 PM
that's good to hear that Baste has a recruit with potential.. just wondering..will nasayao suit up for Baste? what about the Bringas brothers? si Arvie may one year pa sa Jrs..

Hopefuly baste can convince arvie bringas to stay, ballesteros wont be around next year and if he(bringas) suited up for the senior squad he will be the Legit center of the team, the next big man left is dj najorda but he is more comfy playing the wing. But it's quite a long shot, Bringas vastly improved his game. He will be one of the top recruits next year.

The_Big_Cat
04-17-2008, 10:44 AM

Hopefuly baste can convince arvie bringas to stay, ballesteros wont be around next year and if he(bringas) suited up for the senior squad he will be the Legit center of the team, the next big man left is dj najorda but he is more comfy playing the wing. But it's quite a long shot, Bringas vastly improved his game. He will be one of the top recruits next year.

Bringas and Paredes will be the top recruits for next year.

King_stag
04-21-2008, 10:02 PM

Mark Bringas played for baste against perps, he scored a couple of baskets and Defended the paint well. Nice addition for the stags, A wide bodied forward.

salsa caballero
04-22-2008, 11:20 AM

Sounds like a gem who slipped through Franz' recruiting efforts for the RP Youth Team...Well, he's got a ways to go before he turns 18, so may panahon pang magpahinog for that purpose.

King_stag
04-27-2008, 08:28 PM
Two-time NCAA juniors MVP Ryan Buenafe and Arvie Bringas spearheaded NCR’s 70-55 thumping of Calabarzon in the basketball finals

-The staglets will miss this Duo. Hopefully the Gusi-Bringas tandem will work ???

King_stag
04-30-2008, 08:39 PM
The staglets met with ryan buenafe and eric salamat after the csb-admu game. I cant help but notice "tayshaun prince" andrada, he was munching like there is no tomorrow, he is reed thin maybe that can help :D

Joescoundrel
05-06-2008, 11:38 AM
The Staglets have a veritable "Recto Skyline" with Arvie Bringas and three other boys standing at least 6'3" in Number 10 Mamaril, Number 17 Estrada and Number 19 Andrada.

Bringas now looks like a legit 6'4" and 205 pounds. He displays above-average handles for a power forward, just around average for a small forward. His game now reminds me a lot of Jerwin Gaco, a lot of strength and power, scatters bodies in the lane, but Bringas seems to have a steadier freethrow and jumpshot and better foot work.

Mamaril is probably close to 6'3" and plays the 3 and 4 spots, although he was more of a rebounder, seal-off guy and inside defender rather than a scoring option.

Estrada I think is the next best big man on the Staglets roster after Bringas, and he looks like a legit 6'4" but not as hefty or strong as Bringas, comes pretty close though.

Andrada will most likely take the place of Yousif Aljamal and Pong Escobal as the NCAA's next glamor boy with his matinee idol good looks. But yes, he is wiry thin and practically all skinny arms and legs.

Raging Blue
05-06-2008, 12:21 PM
Is Staglet Andrada related to ex-Letran Knight and current Red Bull Barako Mike Andrada? Just asking. I notice similar physical attributes.

King_stag
05-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Andrada of red bull? maybe it's mark andaya the former letran knight ur talking 'bout

The_Big_Cat
05-06-2008, 03:23 PM
^Grabe. What was mentioned above is that the Staglet Andrada has "matinee-idol looks". I don't see any Andrada in the Red Bull lineup.

Maybe, Mark Andaya? "Frankenstein" ikumpara mo sa isang "matinee-idol look". ;D.

The_Big_Cat
05-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Who will be this year's projected starting five for the Stags? ???

mighty_lion
05-06-2008, 03:38 PM
^Grabe.* What was mentioned above is that the Staglet Andrada has "matinee-idol looks". I don't see any Andrada in the Red Bull lineup.

Maybe, Mark Andaya? "Frankenstein" ikumpara mo sa isang "matinee-idol look". ;D.

Hindi mo pa siguro nakikita si Andrada. Tyshaun Prince ng Staglets. Off the bench guy and can play multiple positions (3/4/5). Btw, nevermind the matinee-idol look.

King_stag
05-06-2008, 09:53 PM
^Grabe.* What was mentioned above is that the Staglet Andrada has "matinee-idol looks". I don't see any Andrada in the Red Bull lineup.

Hindi mo pa siguro nakikita si Andrada. Tyshaun Prince ng Staglets. Off the bench guy and can play multiple positions (3/4/5). Btw, nevermind the matinee-idol look.

He also has a kiler smile(andrada), move over chris tiu 8)

bout' the starters the only sure shot is Joseph Gusi at point guard and arvie bringas starting as power forward. Coach raymond will use different rotations.

Raging Blue
05-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Andrada of red bull? maybe it's mark andaya the former letran knight ur talking 'bout

I stand corrected. Thanks pare.

The_Big_Cat
05-07-2008, 11:49 AM

Yes. I have never seen this kid yet.

Joescoundrel
05-07-2008, 10:08 PM
^ Do you watch the Cartoon Network show BEN TEN? Check out the aliens that the lead character Ben can transform into. Andrada looks a lot like the type with the long arms and jutting jaw with the exposed front teeth. He's got incredibly long arms and legs but a disproportionately short torso. He could also fit in with the alien gallery/audience watching the fights in the old Anime cartoon GHOST FIGHTER.

King_stag
05-09-2008, 03:16 PM
In the final game, San Sebastian College-Recoletos pulled away in the second half to beat University of Perpetual Help System Dalta, 72-62. Gilbert Bulawan tallied 15 points and seven rebounds for the Stags, who still played without key players Jim Viray and Jason Ballesteros.

-Finally A win in NSL. Only the second win for baste.

bchoter
05-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Kasama na po ba yung rookies?

King_stag
05-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Coach george uses marc bringas a lot. Other rookies are quite shaky, but i can see a bright spot in paulo taha, he has a nice touch and is a high leaper, actualy reminds me of a young red vicente.

King_stag
05-28-2008, 05:48 AM
Two other seniors’ results were convincing routs as San Sebastian College-Recoletos, behind 18 points and five rebounds from Anthony Bringas and 16 and 10 from Dave Najorda, dismantled De La Salle-Lipa, 105-55, while University of the East ended their elimination stint with a 6-1 card after an 80-36 crushing of Lyceum Institute of Technology from Calamba, Laguna as Raffy Reyes made 13 points for the Warriors.

Nice to see the former staglet in the rotation of UE.

Anthony Bringas is learning to use his heft, this bullstrong rookie is handled by coach jolly. Tituruan daw mang-gulang ;D

Joescoundrel
06-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Ryan Buenafe is playing a man's game for Ateneo.

Raging Blue
06-13-2008, 01:15 AM
An interesting sideshow in the Nike Summer League championship game between Ateneo and UE will be the battle of the San Sebastian Staglets alumni playing for both teams.

Ryan Buenafe and Eric Salamat for Ateneo and Paul Lee and Raffy Reyes for UE.

May the best tandem win.

Joescoundrel
06-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Pamboy Raymundo is a Fil-Am...? I swear I heard him talking like a homeboy with a couple other homeboy-types after their win over San Beda.

nastrans
06-13-2008, 04:26 PM
An interesting sideshow in the Nike Summer League championship game between Ateneo and UE will be the battle of the San Sebastian Staglets alumni playing for both teams.

Ryan Buenafe and Eric Salamat for Ateneo and Paul Lee and Raffy Reyes for UE.

May the best tandem win.

And their juniors' squad in the finals currently playing against La Salle Greenhills.

King_stag
06-13-2008, 09:15 PM
Congrats to the staglets for bagging the juniors crown in the NSL. ;D

nastrans
06-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Baste will still be fine come the juniors season, Gusi and Vosotros will easily fill in for the loss of Buenafe plus Bringas is expected to have another strong year.

Regular Grey
06-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Pa post lang po mga Poging Baste

Latest from inboundpass.com
“By banning Pascual, the ManCom committed a blatant injustice”

Posted: 21 Jun 2008 07:46 AM CDT

Editor’s note: Inboundpass.com received this letter from a lawyer who is, at present, a master of laws student of International Human Rights Law and Criminal Justice in the Netherlands. The sender has asked inboundpass.com not to divulge his/her identity. As such, inboundpass.com has decided to publish the letter in full, while providing two public documents that the sender furnished to us – the report of Mr. Henry Atayde, NCAA ManCom board member, and affidavit of Mr. Elvin Jake Pascual - both of which can be accessed here: atayde-pcu-report.rtf pascual-affidavit.rtf

Dear Mr. Abasolo:

Pardon my intrusion to your Multiply account. I have been searching for your official e-mail address on the Net to reach you. After an ardent search, your Multiply account was the closest I could get to.

I write to you to expose an injustice committed to one of the young players in the roster of the San Beda College Red Lions, Elvin Jake Pascual. Pascual was the 2006 NCAA Juniors Rookie of the Year and Most Valuable Player awardee, playing for the Philippine Christian University Baby Dolphins. As you may know, PCU was suspended by the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA) last year for various irregularities involving falsification of documents and identity switching among its athletes. Four players of the PCU Baby Dolphins were directly involved in these anomalies and have been banned from competition in the NCAA. Pascual moved to San Beda College. Subsequently, the NCAA recommended to San Beda not to include Pascual in its team last year because of certain concerns that were raised that may jeopardize the team. San Beda heeded this and as a sign of good faith, Pascual was not included in the Red Lions’ campaign in Season 83.

On June 5, 2008, the NCAA Management Committee (ManCom) issued a ruling to exclude Pascual from the official Season 84 line-up of San Beda’s seniors basketball team for violating the NCAA rule prohibiting graduating high school students who are repeaters from participating in any competition in the NCAA. Also, his purported submission of falsified documents to the NCAA became a reason for the ManCom’s ruling. As of this writing, San Beda has brought this case on appeal before the NCAA Policy Board.

In 2004, Pascual was sixteen years old and a fourth year high school student of St. Rose Catholic School in Paniqui, Tarlac. His brother brought him to Manila and encouraged him to apply for a basketball scholarship with PCU. On his own volition, he personally came to PCU with the intent to join its seniors basketball team, as he was, at that time, a graduating high school student. He was advised by a certain Pedro “Bong” Sales, head coach of the PCU Baby Dolphins, to repeat his third year of high school to gain experience and be familiar with Manila basketball. According to his sworn statement, Pascual was then instructed to officially drop out from his fourth year high school studies in St. Rose Catholic School in Tarlac, and to bring with him his second year high school report card to officially enrol as a third year high school student at PCU. Mr. Sales facilitated Pascual’s enrolment in PCU High School, enabling him to serve a one-year residency and play for a year with the Baby Dolphins. He succeeded in winning both the Rookie of the Year plum and Most Valuable Player honors in the Juniors Division that year.

From the antecedent facts, it may be inferred that there was no falsification involved in the case of Pascual as he submitted to Mr. Sales his authentic and genuine second year high school report card. Nor in any stage of this process did Pascual have any intent to repeat his third year of high school. There was no intent on his part to violate NCAA rules and regulations. As a minor who knew nothing about his chances to study in Manila, he was merely acting upon the advice of his future basketball coach. In fact, Mr. Sales, who was an athletics official in PCU, was in a position to know the regulations fairly well. The intent to falsify or undertake fraudulent acts must be imputed on Sales. For abusing the innocence and noble intent of Pascual, it is Sales who must be penalized and not the victim, who is Pascual.

The NCAA ManCom took as legal basis Rule 1.2.4 of the NCAA By-Laws to exclude Pascual from the Red Lions line up. It is the contention of San Beda that this rule, which provides that a GRADUATING HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT who is a REPEATER be deemed ineligible to compete in any NCAA tournament (emphasis mine), shall apply only to a current high school student and not to Pascual, who is now a bona fide graduate of PCU High School, and a bona fide student currently enrolled in twelve academic units in San Beda College. This is in faithful compliance with Rules 1.2 and 1.3 of the NCAA, which also concurrently apply to athletes in the Juniors and Seniors Divisions. Pascual’s status as a graduate of PCU High School and his eligibility to play in the Seniors Division was validated by Mr. Henry Atayde in an investigation he headed, one commissioned by the NCAA as well.

Finally, the NCAA ManCom used against Pascual the very facts that he declared to be the best of his knowledge in an affidavit he, together with San Beda College, voluntarily executed and submitted to the NCAA. This was initiated by San Beda to clarify any involvement he may have had with the PCU anomaly. With this affidavit, Pascual actually helped the NCAA gather more information leading to the responsible officials who directly took part in the fraudulent acts. Even in courts of law, an offender, who has collaborated with authorities through his testimony, is lawfully discharged from his case as a state witness. By banning Pascual on the basis of his own statements and readmitting his former Alma Mater PCU to play this season, the ManCom committed a blatant injustice by violating his right against self-incrimination.

I humbly seek your able assistance, hoping that this narration of facts merits the attention of our media, whether through print, broadcast or cyberspace, in fighting the injustice committed on the defenseless. Elvin Jake Pascual left his home in Paniqui, Tarlac, as a sixteen-year-old to secure an education with only his basketball prowess to offer. He took his chances, all knowing that his parents – his father, a tricycle driver and his mother, a simple housewife – were not financially equipped to give him this opportunity. With your help, it is hoped that the dream of this upcoming basketball star lives on.

Thank you for your valuable attention.

danny
06-25-2008, 02:07 AM
I suggest a new sub-forum for San Sebastian College-Recoletos. The Golden Stags, holder of the 5-peat record in the NCA, deserves a separate forum.

King Stag, where are you?

King_stag
06-28-2008, 07:16 AM
Final Four stint target of Stags

Philippine Daily Inquirer

MANILA, Philippines--Getting the luxury of time to prepare, San Sebastian coach Jorge Gallent expects nothing less than a Final Four stint for the Stags.

Gallent hopes to inject into one of the NCAA's illustrious teams the same system that has brought him great success with Harbour Centre in the PBL.

"We will be a defensive running team," said Gallent, who rued the lack of preparations last year since he was appointed just two weeks prior to the season.

"We fixed our weaknesses. I had eight months to prepare this team so the system is in place. As much as possible, we want to score easy points. Our shooters have also improved."

The triumvirate of center Jason Ballesteros, Jim Viray and Jimbo Aquino will banner the squad that has been energized by the addition of backcourt general Raymund Maconicido, who will share the playmaking chores with Pamboy Raymundo and Franz Delgado.

The Stags literally suffered a huge loss with 6-foot-9 Francis de Leon now out of the roster. Mark Anthony Bringas hopes to fill the void left by De Leon.

The Stags are aching to return to their championship form that has eluded them since winning back-to-back crowns in 2001 and 2002. They finished in a tie of fifth last season with a 4-8 record.

The Stags highlighted their pre-season with a narrow overtime win over two-time defending champion San Beda in the Fil-Oil Invitational Cup, where they finished with a 4-3 slate which they duplicated in the Nike Summer League.

cub
06-28-2008, 09:57 PM
any update King_Stag regarding your school's game earlier?

King_stag
06-28-2008, 10:14 PM
I wasnt able to see the game. ;D i'l post an update if my chums can inform me about the game against perps.

nash_bedista
06-28-2008, 11:08 PM
sir, natalo ang Stags sabi ng friend ko... 4pts ata don't know the score

nastrans
06-29-2008, 01:56 AM
Disappointing 60-55 loss to Perpetual.

They had control of the game for 3 1/2 quarter but somehow disappeared. Jayson Ballesteros was easy for the Altas to score against him while Viray was throwing sh!t (sa tagalog "balibag t@e), but give props to Perpetual for some good execution on both ends.

Joescoundrel
06-29-2008, 10:21 AM
San Sebastian inexplicably lost to the much smaller Perpetual Altas in a game the Stags should have won. They failed to go to their size advantage although they did control the boards. Pamboy Raymundo, Jimbo Aquino and Jim Viray and the rest of the Baste perimeter just plain went cold in the fourth quarter.

King_stag
06-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Not surprising ;D, for the past few seasons baste tends to lose their opening games.

gfy
06-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Raymundo did not play because of a carry-over suspension from last season.

Joescoundrel
07-01-2008, 05:11 PM
I'm too lazy to read back: who were the stars on the 2001 and 2002 San Sebastian NCAA seniors championship teams?

chocoks77
07-01-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm too lazy to read back: who were the stars on the 2001 and 2002 San Sebastian NCAA seniors championship teams?

Nurjamjam Alfad, Leo Najorda, Christian Coronel, Pep Moore to name a few. Hehhee

King_stag
07-01-2008, 07:41 PM

Nurjamjam Alfad, Leo Najorda, Christian Coronel, Pep Moore to name a few. Hehhee

-Add Paul Reguerra, Falcasantos, Ed Legarde, Mike Gonzales, Red Vicente (2002), Nicole Uy.

bchoter
07-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Chris Baluyot was there, too yata.

jpmalpas
07-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Nung 2001 Champions, si Mark Macapagal ang Star Player ng Baste nun... :D

jpmalpas
07-02-2008, 10:50 AM

Si Nasayao, nakita ko sa EAC na naglalaro nung NSL...

joelex
07-02-2008, 10:24 PM
who is nasayao?

Howard the Duck
07-04-2008, 11:03 PM
akala ko matatalo pa sila sa hopia boys ;D

gameface_one
07-05-2008, 07:08 AM
^^^ Hi Howard. Would appreciate if you refrain posting words or statements next time that would invite bashing from other member schools. Consider this your first warning.

Sam Miguel
07-05-2008, 07:31 AM
San Sebastian made it a double over Jose Rizal yesterday as the Stags and Staglets overcame the Light and Heavy Bombers. It was a blowout for the Staglets and a come from behind for the Stags. Looks like JRU's woes have continued into the regular season.

The_Big_Cat
07-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Jason Ballesteros was consistent throughout the game yesterday. Imposed his presence by grabbing rebounds and rejecting shots in the paint.

Raymundo's playmaking down the stretch helped the Stags regain the lead. And the clutch shooting of Jim Viray sealed the win for San Sebastian.

Bravo Baste!

Howard the Duck
07-05-2008, 07:33 PM
^^^ Hi Howard. Would appreciate if you refrain posting words or statements next time that would invite bashing from other member schools. Consider this your first warning.

it's not bad. even JRU peeps accept hopia with open arms. :)

franz_inwurdz
07-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Raymundo's playmaking down the stretch helped the Stags regain the lead.

However, it was also Pamboy's missed free throws that made the game more exciting. I do credit him with one football pass that he gave Viray for a free lay-up. Outside that pass, most of his passes lacked vision and was a bit weak.

Sayang talaga fronline ng Baste, malakas dapat. Ballesteros wasn't getting enough touches. I don't think he's just a rebound-put back center. With his athleticism he can create his own shots.

King_stag
07-10-2008, 06:21 AM
Raymundo's playmaking down the stretch helped the Stags regain the lead.

However, it was also Pamboy's missed free throws that made the game more exciting. I do credit him with one football pass that he gave Viray for a free lay-up. Outside that pass, most of his passes lacked vision and was a bit weak.

Sayang talaga fronline ng Baste, malakas dapat.* Ballesteros wasn't getting enough touches. I don't think he's just a rebound-put back center. With his athleticism he can create his own shots.

sayang din si bringas(mark), mganda din pnakita nya during the summer leagues

King_stag
07-14-2008, 02:32 PM
si Soc Rivera naman nasa Baste na diba? from UAAP to NCAA - A post from inboundpass.com, does anyone have an info about this?

Howard the Duck
07-14-2008, 05:34 PM
sayang ang baste kanina ah

danny
07-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Hail to thee dear Alma Mater
To you we pledge our loyaty
Your loyal sons will always be
Bearers of your noble standards...

Oh Hail to Thee Dear SSC!
To you we pledge our loyalty! ;)

Nice fight Baste. Still the Red Lions prevailed.* :)

LION
07-15-2008, 08:00 AM
Hail to thee dear Alma Mater
To you we pledge our loyaty
Your loyal sons will always be
Bearers of your noble standards...

Oh Hail to Thee Dear SSC!
To you we pledge our loyalty! ;)
Nice fight Baste. Still the Red Lions prevailed.* :)

Ayos! Lumabas ang dugong Baste ni danny. ;D ;D ;D

danny
07-16-2008, 12:52 AM
^^^

Generally ,mababait na yang mga taga-Baste sa San Beda, lalu na nung nagkaroon na ng babae ang HS. Sa dami din namang Bedistang COL na napadpad sa COL nila, para na ding mga kakosa yan. Yung isang ka-batch namin sa San Beda CAS , presidente pala ng Alumni Association ng Baste. :D :D ;)

Joescoundrel
07-17-2008, 10:07 AM
CONTRASTING FORTUNES

San Sebastian was a ggod news-bad news deal yesterday at the Cuneta Astrodome. In the junior division the defending champion Golden Staglets came through with a 79-70 victory over the Letran Squires. In senior action the Golden Stags were edged by the Letran Knights 71-67.

Bull-strong power forward Arvie Bringas led the charge for the Staglets early on as San Sebastian established their size advantage right away. Helping out the 6-foot-4 Bringas inside were 6-foot-6 stick man Yutien Andrada and 6-foot-5 center-forward Jeric Estrada. Bringas, Andrada and Estrada were blocking shots, altering shots they didn't block and controlling the boards with relative impunity against the smaller Squires.

With the three San Sebastian bigs clogging the lanes and the Letran post players at a disadvantage the Squires tried to go to the run and gun game. Main gunner Kevin Alas however was off in this game as he failed to find the range. He tried all the tricks - running off the staggered screens, leaning into the hand-off pass, even trying to set himself up with his own dribble - but the Staglets' perimeter defense was simply all over him.

San Sebastian's perimeter took it strong to the Letran perimeter right from the get go as Kervin Ortuoste, Almond Vosotros, Raffy Gusi and JM Trinidad attacked the power zone, filled the lanes quickly on transition, and basically played hard attack basketball from start to finish as they gave the Staglets a big 58-42 lead late in the third period on a variety of layups.

Letran tried to come back behind the efforts of high leaping forwards Glenn Kobunting and Jeff Ongteco and the frenetic play of pointguard Roy Sumang, but it just wasn't enough as Gusi, Andrada, Bringas and Marco Cam held off any Letran attempts to rallye. Bringas had 17 points and 11 rebounds to go with two blocks while Ortuoste added 16 points and three steals for the Staglets.

Kobunting had a game high 20 points and nine rebounds for the Squires, Sumang added 15 points.

In the senior game San Sebastian hung around and even came back from double digit deficits but just could not find the winning formula as they bowed to Letran. Dino Daa played the game of his life and took nearly the entire Stags roster with him on every play. Underrated forward Alvyn Cabonce also asserted himself and provided support when Daa needed a blow.

Jim Viray, Franz Delgado and Pamboy Raymundo led the Stags to an early 11-4 lead and kept that lead for the better part of the first half. Great ball movement, shooting from the field and quick help on the match-up zone confounded the Knights in the early going. Coach George Gallent went to the quick lineup to try and match up better against the athletic Letran roster and succeeded for about two and a half quarters.

In the second half however the Knights recovered as they adjusted their coverage along the perimeter to stymie the Stags' shooters. Rey Guevarra, RJ Jazul and Rey Dangcal then ran off on transition and gave the Knights a 42-36 cushion midway through the third period.

Froilan Saquillo and Jimbo Aquino shot the Stags back into the game 58-56 midway through the fourth period and San Sebastian looked ready to pull an upset. Daa, Cabonce and John Foronda however held strong inside to rpevent any further incursions and the Knights caught the good bounces in the last minute and a half of play for the final count.

Daa had career numbers of 26 points and 19 rebounds while Cabonce added 14 markers. For the Stags Aquino had 13 and Saquillo 12.

danny
07-26-2008, 12:27 AM
Good job Sebastinians!

Schortsanitis
08-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Posted today by "princejunar" at the Interbasket forums:

Hi guys! Jerico De Guzman is back, he's here in the Phil now for almost 3days, i talked to his Dad yesterday and said Jerico will going to play in San Sebastian college for NCAA 2009, he said National University is also interested with Jerico, but they choose SSC. His dad told me that 6others kapampangan with one Phil-Am who played in Angeles Univ. Foundation will play in SSC and they will also bring Nigerian import, i dont if it's true. that was according to Jerico's dad.

Is this true? Will anybody be able to confirm this?

ankle breaker
08-06-2008, 09:15 PM
SSC plastered PCU today.

Joescoundrel
08-07-2008, 02:31 AM
What the hell was Beau Belga thinking today? That he'd like to make sure some one other than Sam Ekwe leads the league in blocks? Shit, he may as well have just tapped the ball into the outstretched hand of Jason Ballesteros every time he had it.

King_stag
08-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Jim Viray's dunk in the 1st quarter is the play of the game. The Last time he had a dunk was two seasons ago, he threw it down on alex angeles after stripping the ball from him.

ankle breaker
08-07-2008, 09:49 PM
What the hell was Beau Belga thinking today? That he'd like to make sure some one other than Sam Ekwe leads the league in blocks? Shit, he may as well have just tapped the ball into the outstretched hand of Jason Ballesteros every time he had it.

i can't recall how many blocks ballesteros got in that game. looks like around 8-9 and 4 of them against beau belga.

King_stag
08-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Stags On a Roll

Baste Wont their fourth straight game after a dogfight against mapua. After being down by as much as 13 points in the first half baste clamped down on mapua and made crucial stops, nailing the coffin is Raymond Maconocido, he made the final shot after the game is tied.

-the game is physical, ian mazo and franz delgado were both called for unsportmanlike fouls.

-KDP is obviously out of playing shape. He wasnt supposed to play but I think it's his own decision because every game is crucial.

-Tightly contested ball game, even mapua's courtside commentator fumbled with her addition of a "third half"* ;D

-Jason ballesteros is the player of the game. The numbers: 12 points, 20 rebounds, 6 blocks, and 2 steals :o

The_Big_Cat
08-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Stags On a Roll

Baste Wont their fourth straight game after a dogfight against mapua. After being down by as much as 13 points in the first half baste clamped down on mapua and made crucial stops, nailing the coffin is Raymond Maconocido, he made the final shot after the game is tied.

-the game is physical, ian mazo and franz delgado were both called for unsportmanlike fouls.

-KDP is obviously out of playing shape. He wasnt supposed to play but I think it's his own decision because every game is crucial.

-Tightly contested ball game, even mapua's courtside commentator fumbled with her addition of a "third half"* ;D

-Jason ballesteros is the player of the game. The numbers: 12 points, 20 rebounds, 6 blocks, and 2 steals :o

Jason Ballesteros is on track for his second consecutive Defensive Player of the Year award.

King_stag
08-08-2008, 06:20 PM
His Defensive player of the year award was a bonus last year. Sam ekwe's ejection/suspension made him ineligible to receive any award, sam's number last season is better than jayson's. So far their numbers are quite similar, The only difference is BPG. jason averages 4 and sam averages 2BPG. If jayson wins again this year it only proves that the first one was not a fluke

gameface_one
08-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Just like the case of the Mapua thread, we are also thinking of spinning off this thread to a full blown Forum.

Any suggestion for a name and a candidate for mod? Pls PM me asap. Thanks.

nastrans
08-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Kung ganito lang lagi si Jason mas OK siya.

He's been struggling early in the season but kahit papano makakatulong sa kanya confidence-wise yung 14 blocks in two games niya, gamitin niya ang laki niya.

Jeep
08-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Just like the case of the Mapua thread, we are also thinking of spinning off this thread to a full blown Forum.

i know this sounds so insipid, but how about the "stags' forest"? i mean, after all, don't stags, which are male deer, live in forests? :-[

clearly, though, i believe King_stag ought to serve as moderator, as i'd like my baby to be in good hands ;) . after all, i did start this forum. ::)

LION
08-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Kumusta na po si Soc Rivera sa SSC? Nag aaral at pumapasok ba? Sayang naman kung hindi dahil baka hindi rin siya makapaglaro sa isang taon.

King_stag
08-13-2008, 04:21 PM
How 'Bout "Might of the Stags" because a male deer(stag) is swift and strong ;)

canmaker
08-13-2008, 04:42 PM
STAG PARTY na lang !!!

King_stag
08-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Kumusta na po si Soc Rivera sa SSC?* Nag aaral at pumapasok ba? Sayang naman kung hindi dahil baka hindi rin siya makapaglaro sa isang taon.

I hope he stays. Baste is known for giving away gems, Just to name few:

a. Hubalde(eac) - *Never made it to the line-up because he has to give way to the charming erwin estole *8)

b.Ramon Mabayo(STI) - studied in baste for 2 years, played a few games with the reserve squad. Blame it all to jack (trainer)

c.Flores(-) - Same mold as Viray but a better defender.

d.Franco and camacho(ceu) - played their last season for the scorpions last year.

LION
08-13-2008, 06:14 PM
How does Soc Rivera stay in shape while he is red shirting? Baka mawala sa kondisyon yan. :)

The_Big_Cat
08-13-2008, 06:25 PM
How 'Bout "Might of the Stags" because a male deer(stag) is swift and strong* *;)

How about the "Stables of San Sebastian". :)

LION
08-13-2008, 07:11 PM
deleted. ;D

Howard the Duck
08-13-2008, 08:14 PM

i know this sounds so insipid, but how about the "stags' forest"? i mean, after all, don't stags, which are male deer, live in forests? :-[

clearly, though, i believe King_stag ought to serve as moderator, as i'd like my baby to be in good hands ;) . after all, i did start this forum. ::)

alam ko sa grasslands ang stags

BigBlue
08-13-2008, 09:03 PM
^eh baka pwede ring Savannah

gameface_one
08-13-2008, 09:59 PM
How 'Bout "Might of the Stags" because a male deer(stag) is swift and strong* *;)

How about the "Stables of San Sebastian". :)

That is already used for the UV Lancers' Forum.

Joescoundrel
08-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Jason Ballesteros proved truly mighty inside as the 6-foot-8 center collected 12 points, 15 rebounds and three blocks to lead the San Sebastian Golden Stags to a royal cluster f--- of the Perpetual Help Altas 70-36.

I believe that has to be a new low for at least the last four years in an NCAA game. San Sebastian's defense held Perpetual scoreless for over eight minutes in the third period, nailing the Altas to just 21 points.

Ballesteros also had the highlight of the day with an ally-oop slam off a lob pass form Pamboy Raymundo.

gameface_one
08-13-2008, 10:13 PM

i know this sounds so insipid, but how about the "stags' forest"? i mean, after all, don't stags, which are male deer, live in forests?* :-[

clearly, though, i believe King_stag ought to serve as moderator, as i'd like my baby to be in good hands* ;) . after all, i did start this forum.* ::)

King_stag, if you are interested, PM me. Thanks.

Howard the Duck
08-13-2008, 11:10 PM
^eh baka pwede ring Savannah

mas tamang term siguro ito

ankle breaker
08-13-2008, 11:59 PM
the stags is on a roll. F4 is within reach.

mrard
08-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Congratulations to the San Sebastian Stags for handing the Letran Knights their 2 straight loss.

San Sebastian 76
Letran 73

Sam Miguel
08-20-2008, 05:58 PM
In a close game that saw many lead changes the San Sebastian Stags went to their big man in the middle to get the big win over the Letran Knights 76-73. 6-foot-8 center Jason Ballesteros had five points including the last basket of the contest in the last minute and change of play to give the Stags the important win. Letran had one last chance to try and steal the game away but turned the ball over in the last three seconds.

King_stag
08-20-2008, 05:58 PM
Baste extends win streak to six

San sebastian won against letran 76-73. Seniors Jim Viray and Jason Ballesteros *made the crucial baskets and led the stags to a win. Viray made 21 points while the latter made 11 points, 14 rebounds, and 4 blocks. Baste is now half game behind san beda and letran. Bravo Baste

The_Big_Cat
08-20-2008, 06:25 PM
San Sebastian is peaking at the right time.
Great win for the Stags.

Raymundo and Maconocido executed the offense of the Stags well, breaking the pressure defense of the Knights.
Delgado made crucial incursions in the lane while Mark Bringas showed some spunk in the painted area.

As always, Ballesteros was the cornerstone of the Stags defense while Jim Viray hit clutch three's when needed.

King_stag
08-20-2008, 06:35 PM
The guards played great. Maconocido, raymundo, and delgado (too many "DO's" ;D) is not that affected by the press compared to their 1st round ecounter. Another guy who helped the stags in their last 3 games is mark bringas, the bull strong forward had 5 points and 4 rebounds against letran. he also defended the paint while jason is in the bench.

bchoter
08-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Nice win for Baste.

Puwede kayang "The Herd"?

King_stag
08-20-2008, 08:23 PM
how 'bout "rampaging stags"

The_Big_Cat
08-20-2008, 08:35 PM

King_Stag, kailangan ng moderator para sa Baste.
You're the best candidate by far.

eightyfiver
08-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Congrats Stags!

My suggestion..."The Stag's Party."

cub
08-20-2008, 11:21 PM
was it a double black eye for letran kanina? did the staglets won over the squires?

edited to add:
Staglets won pala, 88-80 accdg to PEx.

danny
08-21-2008, 01:22 AM

I like this. Tapos, "San Sebastian St. na lang!"

When Oscar Orbos and William Esposo transferred from Ateneo to San Sebastian HS, urban legend has it that they were constant customers of the fabled San Sebastian St.

Rampaging Stags. :)

O ayan. Dapat may sariling forum na ang Baste.

BedanRoar
08-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Eh "Stag - nant No More". Parang hindi bagay

jpmalpas
08-21-2008, 11:27 AM
Stagering Stags

Get_Blazed
08-21-2008, 07:51 PM
Bigyan na rin ng sub-forum ang Baste! King Stag, we need you! ;)

King_stag
08-21-2008, 10:23 PM
^Sorry bro, m not familiar with the forum interface and I'm a couple of hours away from the city, i have no updates and contacts with the team ;D, i posted a topic on baste's forum and i know someone is a better fit. thanks guys :)

untamed
08-23-2008, 12:06 AM
sir add ko lang sa 97 lineup
rommel daep
jasper ocampo
cholo medina
jerome barbosa
alvin pua
olaguer
lagare
mark macapagal
topex robinson

yung sa 93
aldrin morante
jesse bardaje

danny
08-23-2008, 01:17 AM
^Sorry bro, m not familiar with the forum interface and I'm a couple of hours away from the city, i have no updates and contacts with the team* ;D, i posted a topic on baste's forum and i know someone is a better fit. thanks guys* :)

Hindi mo kailangang maging malapit sa team. Moderator lang naman ang kailangna. Andyan naman ang gameface team, tsong. Kung PCU nga meron, Baste pa. ;D

Pwede kang magpatulong kay Get_Blazed. NCAA hardcore din yan.

gameface_one
08-23-2008, 09:07 AM
^Sorry bro, m not familiar with the forum interface and I'm a couple of hours away from the city, i have no updates and contacts with the team* ;D, i posted a topic on baste's forum and i know someone is a better fit. thanks guys* :)

Hindi mo kailangang maging malapit sa team. Moderator lang naman ang kailangna. Andyan naman ang gameface team, tsong. Kung PCU nga meron, Baste pa. ;D

Hi Danny. Unfortunately, we prefer those who have direct links with the team and the school.

gameface_one
08-23-2008, 09:09 AM
So will it be The Stags' Rampage, Stags' Party, or the Herd of Stags?

Get_Blazed
08-24-2008, 09:45 PM
^Sorry bro, m not familiar with the forum interface and I'm a couple of hours away from the city, i have no updates and contacts with the team ;D, i posted a topic on baste's forum and i know someone is a better fit. thanks guys :)

Thanks for the special mention sir Danny. Kaw din. ;D I still believe King stag is the man for the job. Hardcore supporter din ng Baste yan e.

King Stag, As long as the passion for your team is there, you can do it. Madali lang magmoderate. I was quickly be able to get a hold of things. And just like sir Danny said, tulungan naman dito sa NC e. Brothers tayo off-court. ;)

untamed
08-26-2008, 03:07 AM
goodluck sa game on wednesday....

BEAT JRU!
BRAVO BASTE...

Regular Grey
08-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Wow , Own thread. Congratulations and Good lUck.

Get_Blazed
08-26-2008, 04:33 PM
I move that the Staglets deserve and should have their own thread in this sub-forum.

mrard
08-26-2008, 09:50 PM
goodluck din po sa san sebastian stags.:)

hi king_stag! drop by din ako dito, bumisita ka din kasi sa bombers' squadron eh.:)

King_stag
08-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks ;)
Quite an exciting match bro, add more excitement from seing coach vanguardia wearing the usual yellow shirt and blue tie ;D

mrard
08-26-2008, 09:58 PM
mrard <--girl po..hehe:D

haha. coach vanguardia with the yellow shirt and blue tie
coach gallent -- naka-cross arms lage.;)

King_stag
08-26-2008, 10:03 PM
mrard <--girl po..hehe:D

haha. coach vanguardia with the yellow shirt and blue tie
coach gallent -- naka-cross arms lage*.;)

Oh, a lady bomber :)
sorry

*This is Actually the most common stance of a coach, it relieves the pressure and lets 'em check the level of perspiration ;)

mrard
08-26-2008, 10:10 PM
haha. no problem.

i haven't seen much of san sebastian's games.....pero coach gallent looks cool even if his team is under pressure. his face, or should i say,his facial expressions doesn't reflect the pressure eh.:) buti ka pa king_stag mabaet, sa PEx kasi, inaaway ng people from san sebastian yung jru don. :(

King_stag
08-26-2008, 10:16 PM
haha. no problem.

i haven't seen much of san sebastian's games.....pero coach gallent looks cool even if his team is under pressure. his face, or should i say,his facial expressions doesn't reflect the pressure eh.:) buti ka pa king_stag mabaet, sa PEx kasi, inaaway ng people from san sebastian yung jru don. :(

OT:

I can predict that it's the excessive use of the "H" word ;D
This is Gameface, everyone gives unbiased opinions of 8 "NC" teams. Well, most of the time ::)

mrard
08-26-2008, 10:19 PM
oh well, at least it's peaceful here at gameface.:)

did you watch that campus hoops show last monday sa studio 23? it'll be sena vs. ballesteros then wilson vs. viray.....that will be cool.....the commentators gave their opinions, and they just gave a slight edge to JRU.:D

oh well, bilog nga daw ang bola so it's anybody's ballgame tomorrow. :)

Get_Blazed
08-26-2008, 10:29 PM
OT:

I can predict that it's the excessive use of the "H" word

Or the "S" word. ::)

This is Gameface, everyone gives unbiased opinions of 8 "NC" teams. Well, most of the time ::)

Of course we do. ;)

Get_Blazed
08-26-2008, 10:34 PM
oh well, at least it's peaceful here at gameface.:)

did you watch that campus hoops show last monday sa studio 23? it'll be sena vs. ballesteros then wilson vs. viray.....that will be cool.....the commentators gave their opinions, and they just gave a slight edge to JRU.:D

OT: Of course it is. Why do you think we jumped ship into gameface in the first place? PEX is a lost cause, my dear. I gave up long ago. Hopeless. ::)

Welcome to gameface! Guys like King Stag and myself are tasked to make sure gameface remains as unbiased and as "peaceful" as posible. ;)

Back to topic: Sena has the obvious advantage over Ballesteros, but only a slight edge. But Bruce Jim Viray is ay better than Wilson, hands down.

King_stag
08-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Bench will be key factor "pagandahan ng hugot" as they say, baste and JRU has a deep bench and can throw multiple combination. The only difference is that JRU starts strong and baste is always tentative.

mrard
08-26-2008, 10:49 PM
Bench will be key factor "pagandahan ng hugot" as they say, baste and JRU has a deep bench and can throw multiple combination. The only difference is that JRU starts strong and baste is always tentative.

I just hope it will be a fair game tomorrow. And i also hope that it won't be a lopsided match.:D BUt hey, with jason ballesteros' consistency nowadays, sena's in big trouble.:D he's up for a real challenge.

i'm just looking forward to a shootout at the 3pt arc between viray and wilson.

King_stag
08-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Sena can post-up against Jason, But "gagamboy" can slap the ball upstairs ;D

Howard the Duck
08-26-2008, 11:37 PM
ang saya naman dito... stag party ;D

and i've only just realized what it is supposed to mean ;)

Get_Blazed
08-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Bakit ba gagamboy? Haha what a name. ;D

King_stag
08-27-2008, 04:02 PM
San Sebastian Outlasted Jose Rizal 47-52

After leading early in the first, san sebastian went dry and gave the lead to JRU who ended the first half with an eight point advantage. The stags clamp down on D and tied the game at 40. In the 4th the Stags made a 13-0 run, gilbert bulawan made the crucial stops and baskets at the other end. A low scoring game, Gilbert bulawan and Froi Saquillo had 8 a piece. While rookie playmaker maconocido Burried four free throws to nail the coffin.

BRAVO BASTE

King_stag
08-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Bakit ba gagamboy? Haha what a name. ;D

Because he has long arms and he is spider-like when it comes to defending the paint, just waiting for the prey to hit his web. He had a tayshaun prince-like block on jason nocom awhile ago ;D

untamed
08-27-2008, 06:57 PM
nice win over jru. now baste is a contender...

win the last 2 games and will have a nice chance for the twice to beat... GO BASTE!

nastrans
08-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Baste made some good defensive efforts against Sena in the fourth quarter, boy Sena missed a lot of his patented shots in the post not only against Ballesteros but also when Bulawan comes in to help.

mrard
08-27-2008, 09:05 PM
COngratulations to the stags!:) hehe. hala, nanganib pa tuloy ang jru sa f4..:D

cub
08-28-2008, 12:08 AM
who among the Stags are graduating this year? if the info on Ubelt is correct, Viray and Ballesteros are on their final year. meron pa ba iba? :)

King_stag
08-28-2008, 07:20 AM
who among the Stags are graduating this year? if the info on Ubelt is correct, Viray and Ballesteros are on their final year. meron pa ba iba? :)

I think Franz Delgado. He came from another school and already played 3 seasons with baste

nastrans
08-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Jorge Gallent has said many times during the postgame interviews that Viray and Ballesteros are playing their final year with the team.

lionbanker
08-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Congratulations!!! BTW heard that next season you are eyeing a 6'11 guy from the province?

christian
08-28-2008, 10:13 PM

I think Franz Delgado. He came from another school and already played 3 seasons with baste

Mapua ba sya?

bossman
08-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Very well coached game by Coach Jorge!

King_stag
08-29-2008, 06:07 AM

Mapua ba sya?

I think he came from UE, ato badolato even questioned his eligibility. We also had two players from mapua last season. Ryan Malig made it to the line-up but injured his knee late in the 2nd round. I cant recall the name of the other one, he transferred to another school.

King_stag
08-29-2008, 06:13 AM
Congratulations!!!* BTW heard that next season you are eyeing a 6'11 guy from the province?

Yes, next season the only legit center is the 6'6" roberto bartolo jr. still a project player but coach george likes this kid. Still, another big man would help.

Semenelin
08-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Congratulations!!! BTW heard that next season you are eyeing a 6'11 guy from the province?

Yes, next season the only legit center is the 6'6" roberto bartolo jr. still a project player but coach george likes this kid. Still, another big man would help.

the 6'11 guy is suppose to be Jerico De Guzman. in another forum, sabi nagenroll na raw yun bata sa inyo. wla ka ba nakikitang punong naglalakad? if he develops to be like "gagamboy" nakakatakot kayo nun. ;D Congrats!

King_stag
08-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Congratulations!!!* BTW heard that next season you are eyeing a 6'11 guy from the province?

the 6'11 guy is suppose to be Jerico De Guzman. in another forum, sabi nagenroll na raw yun bata sa inyo. wla ka ba nakikitang punong naglalakad? if he develops to be like "gagamboy" nakakatakot kayo nun.* ;D Congrats!

I asked my friend who works at the registrars office to look for jericho de guzman and soc rivera's record. He will update me later this afternoon. And mas nkakatakot dati ang baste, too bad francis De Leon left. ;D

The_Big_Cat
08-29-2008, 11:00 AM

Ito yata yung taga-Tarlac.

King_stag
08-29-2008, 11:06 AM
yep. kapitbahay ni jimbo aquino :). This kid is from camiling tarlac, He's just 17 years of age.

Sam Miguel
08-29-2008, 11:14 AM
At least San Sebastian is recruiting PINOY talents, not foreigners.

I'm too lazy to do any back-reading. How are Gusi, Bringas and the Staglets doing?

The_Big_Cat
08-29-2008, 11:19 AM
yep. kapitbahay ni jimbo aquino* :). This kid is from camiling tarlac, He's just 17 years of age.

Kapitbahay din ni Jake Pascual (Paniqui, Tarlac). :)

King_stag
08-29-2008, 11:22 AM
still undefeated at 9-0, their last game against the Light Bombers was re-scheduled. Arvie shown vast improvement, he extended his range and shoots behind the arc now. Frank Gusi's nephew is Running the offense for the stags, his scoring dipped because of the emergence of rookie guard Almond Vosotros.

King_stag
08-29-2008, 11:27 AM
yep. kapitbahay ni jimbo aquino* :). This kid is from camiling tarlac, He's just 17 years of age.

Kapitbahay din ni Jake Pascual (Paniqui, Tarlac). :)

And Eduardo Canlas(SBC)

The_Big_Cat
08-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Next season malaki ang mawawala sa Stags.
King_Stag, who do you think from the current Staglets will be retained to join the Stags for next season?
Team B prospects that could also be included for Team A next year?

King_stag
08-29-2008, 11:40 AM
A lot is expected from Paulo Taha, this guy is a freak of an athlete and a speedster. Just have to improve his confidence, masyado kasi mahiyain :). Soc Rivera is rumored to suit up for baste but that's quite a long heave. Raymond Maconocido and Jimbo Aquino will lead the next batch, i think jimbo is the most underrated shooter in college hoops. I practiced with him back in 2003, his shot has a serious arc. He gave up his scoring because coach george knows he is a good defender, he always keeps his man infront of him.

pachador
08-29-2008, 02:08 PM
you mean there is another 6'11" kid other than de Guzman and Slaughter? thanks

King_stag
08-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I think that guy is De Guzman, he's the only 6'11" guy rumored to play for baste. Some even told he was sighted inside the campus

The_Big_Cat
08-29-2008, 04:30 PM
I think that guy is De Guzman, he's the only 6'11" guy rumored to play for baste. Some even told he was sighted inside the campus

Sighted. Parang "Big Foot" sighting. ;D

King_stag
08-29-2008, 05:53 PM
San Sebastian Extends win streak to eight

Baste survived a late rally by CSB and is now solo second in the team standings.
Froilan "Taong Bato" Saquillo Led the stags with 11 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 blocked shots. Rookie Mark Bringas Contributed off the bench with 9 points, 6 rebounds, and a block.

Play of the game: Ton Bringas swatted a lay-up attempt by Sevilla. He hitted the ball so hard it almost reached the officials table ;D

untamed
08-29-2008, 06:52 PM
im hoping the bringas brothers will play senior basketball together next year..... :o

ankle breaker
08-29-2008, 10:40 PM
im hoping too. hopefully he will not transfer to any other schools in the UAAP.

King_stag
08-30-2008, 07:11 AM
Second Game (Jrs)

SSC 83 — Vosotros 28, Bringas 21, Gusi 14, Delgado, J. 6, Andrada 6, Cam 4, Ortuoste 4, Trinidad 0, de Guzman 0, Mamaril 0, Laconico 0, Villarosa 0, Delgado, F. 0, Estrada 0, Mendoza, 0.

LSGH 65 — Mart. Reyes 18, Franco 16, Mi. Reyes 13, Adornado 9, Marc Reyes 5, Quebral 2, Flores 2, Vergara 0, Malimban 0, Viñas 0, Cruz 0, Henares 0, Mars Reyes 0.

Quarters: 23-8, 42-28, 62-49, 83-65.

New Career High for the rookie. most likely to win the ROY award, but he is also a candidate for the mythical selection.

Joescoundrel
09-02-2008, 01:18 PM
How many years does Jeric Estrada have to go for the Staglets? He has great size, taller than Arvie Bringas, but seems not to have the basketball instincts just yet. If he gets the right kind of training he should be one heck of a college forward.

wolfy
09-02-2008, 05:47 PM
I hope the "de Guzman playing for the stags" is true, some say he trained in US.
He will be a good replacement for ballesteros, and also arvie, for viray.

King_stag
09-02-2008, 07:08 PM
The only thing baste could offer arvie is playing time, If they cant find a replacement for jason coach george will play small ball and arvie is the center. But I think arvie already adjusted to play the 4 spot, he could also play 3 of he improves his dribbling. I hope his brother can convince him ;D

wolfy
09-02-2008, 08:25 PM
if ever arvie goes to ateneo, maybe they can be called ateneo staglets, hehehe
just kiddin.
arvie and mark would be a good tamdem.
db they are both power forwards? i really hope arvie, the staglet, will become a stag!!
diba si aguilar (now playing for NU) is also a former player of the stags? bakit kaya sya lumipat...

Howard the Duck
09-03-2008, 01:50 AM
If SBC beats SSC, they'd be the only team that stopped 8 game winning streaks in one season in recent memory :P

King_stag
09-03-2008, 06:41 AM
if ever arvie goes to ateneo, maybe they can be called ateneo staglets, hehehe
just kiddin.
arvie and mark would be a good tamdem.
db they are both power forwards? i really hope arvie, the staglet, will become a stag!!
diba si aguilar (now playing for NU) is also a former player of the stags? bakit kaya sya lumipat...

Raymond aguilar is demanding for playing time and struggled under coach raymond valenzona's system. Another player from NU who came from the team B of baste is Jonathan Jahnke.

Regular Grey
09-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Good luck Stags. Talo talo muna mamayang 4 to 6. he he he

untamed
09-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Goodluck Baste!
Bravo Baste!

bchoter
09-03-2008, 12:12 PM

The Stags' coaching staff were really high on this kid theat they went all the way to his house in Tarlac to recruit him. Sayang. Beaten to the draw.

wolfy
09-03-2008, 01:23 PM
are players allowed to recruit friends?
The bringas brothers have a friend in bataan who stands about 6'7 and bato bato pa ang katawan we call him "mutombo" sana they can recruit him... shempre para sa stags.

The_Big_Cat
09-03-2008, 05:39 PM
SAN BEDA 62
Ekwe 24, Escobal 11, Pascual 9, Menor 6, Hermida 4, Taganas 4, Gamalinda 4, Tirona 0

San Sebastian 58
Delgado 15, Raymundo 10, Ballesteros 8, Saquillo 8, Viray 7, Aquino 4, Maconocido 2, Bulawan 2, Zulueta 2, Del Rio 0

Quarterscores: ( 13-19, 28-27, 38-48, 62-58 )

Howard the Duck
09-03-2008, 09:02 PM
sayang ang mga yellow balloons ng baste

wolfy
09-03-2008, 09:09 PM
ok lang, effective naman ung balloons, lamang ang SSC ng ten points, kaso parang kulang ung balloons kasi hanggang kalahati lang ng fourth quarter e. dapat sa susunod, mas maraming balloons para may reserba pa hanggang overtime. :D

ankle breaker
09-03-2008, 09:37 PM
nag OT ba ang BASTE at SAN BEDA? naku ang galing naman. miss ko ang game kasi nakatulog ako. sayang, i missed the big game.

wolfy
09-03-2008, 09:57 PM
nag OT ba ang BASTE at SAN BEDA? naku ang galing naman. miss ko ang game kasi nakatulog ako. sayang, i missed the big game.

Hindi bro, hanggang 4th quarter lang. Pero ang ganda ng laro, kala ko nga panalo nakame, hehehe ;D

danny
09-04-2008, 12:47 AM
OT:

Wolfy,

Si Mrs. Aliwalas pa din ba ang HS Principal ng Baste?

King_stag
09-04-2008, 06:38 AM
the Staglets moved just a win from completing an elimination round sweep with a 60-43 soaking of the Red Cubs.

BedanRoar
09-04-2008, 08:31 AM
the Staglets moved just a win from completing an elimination round sweep with a 60-43 soaking of the Red Cubs.

Looks like your on your way to another Juniors Crown. If you could only retain these players, they could bring the same intensity in the Seniors division.

wolfy
09-04-2008, 09:07 AM
OT:

Wolfy,

Si Mrs. Aliwalas pa din ba ang HS Principal ng Baste?

Bro sory, di ko alam e, matagal nako di npapasyal sa baste e.

King_stag
09-04-2008, 12:01 PM

Looks like your on your way to another Juniors Crown. If you could only retain these players, they could bring the same intensity in the Seniors division.

Somehow we managed to elavate some to the senior ranks e.g. Anthony Bringas, Vergel Zulueta, Anthony Del Rio. I hope we can hear bigger names next year ;)

MonL
09-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Kumusta na po si Soc Rivera sa SSC?* Nag aaral at pumapasok ba? Sayang naman kung hindi dahil baka hindi rin siya makapaglaro sa isang taon.

I hope he stays. Baste is known for giving away gems, Just to name few:

a. Hubalde(eac) - *Never made it to the line-up because he has to give way to the charming erwin estole *8)

b.Ramon Mabayo(STI) - studied in baste for 2 years, played a few games with the reserve squad. Blame it all to jack (trainer)

c.Flores(-) - Same mold as Viray but a better defender.

d.Franco and camacho(ceu) - played their last season for the scorpions last year.

At ang pangbawi namin kay Rommel Adducul...Yusif Aljamal :).

Played in your Team B before transferring and blossoming as a Red Lion.

jpmalpas
09-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Yep! Sayang talaga si Aljamal, kaso nung team B kasi si Aljamal, kalakasan pa ng Baste nun eh, kaya feeling nya siguro hindi sya makukuha kaya nag transfer nalang sa Beda, nung rookie season nya sa Beda, peremeter J ang karamihan ng laro nya, buti na improve nya yung mga power moves sa ilalim. :D

jpmalpas
09-04-2008, 02:51 PM
A lot is expected from Paulo Taha, this guy is a freak of an athlete and a speedster. Just have to improve his confidence, masyado kasi mahiyain* :). Soc Rivera is rumored to suit up for baste but that's quite a long heave. Raymond Maconocido and Jimbo Aquino will lead the next batch, i think jimbo is the most underrated shooter in college hoops. I practiced with him back in 2003, his shot has a serious arc. He gave up his scoring because coach george knows he is a good defender, he always keeps his man infront of him.

Agree ako, dapat lang kasi kay Jimbo, wag syang magmamadali, minsan kasi parang binabato nya eh. :D

King_stag
09-04-2008, 06:10 PM
Mas magaling si jimbo sa practice. flawless. kabado lang talaga sa actual game ;D

untamed
09-04-2008, 07:44 PM
^^^ sir pansin ko lang kay jimbo mahilig maghesitate at mag-fake bago tumira...

wolfy
09-04-2008, 07:59 PM

Pansin kodin yan eh, sana sa next game nila wala na sya heitation....

jpmalpas
09-04-2008, 08:12 PM
Ok sana si Jimbo, yung nga lang medyo kabado pa, next year sana hindi na, tsaka ok sya, marunong mag dala ng bola, kanan man o kaliwa. Si Viray kasi ang problema, one way lang, puro kaliwa kaya hindi maka drive sa bantay nya... :D

The_Big_Cat
09-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Jimbo Aquino and Adamson's Leo Canuday play similarly. Pati ang porma halos pareho silang dalawa.

King_stag
09-04-2008, 10:52 PM

i practiced with jimbo for a couple of months, i know he can nail that shot. one dribble pull up J, even after pump fake. kulang lang tlaga sa confidence. He was actually the best in that team B pool that's composed of franco and camacho(played for ceu), J Quiamco.

jpmalpas
09-05-2008, 11:13 AM

i practiced with jimbo for a couple of months, i know he can nail that shot. one dribble pull up J, even after pump fake. kulang lang tlaga sa confidence. He was actually the best in that team B pool that's composed of franco and camacho(played for ceu), J Quiamco.

Si Bulawan ang sayang para sakin, hindi na sya masyadong nabibigyan ng playing time, d katulad lastyear na mahaba pa ang playing time nya, kala ko pa naman 2nd Leo Najorda coming na sya. Anyway, matagal pa naman ata sya sa Baste dba? Sana next year mabigyan na sya ng sapat na playing time. :D

King_stag
09-05-2008, 06:27 PM
One more year for Bulawan and Aquino. Matagal na sa team B si si bert ;D

untamed
09-05-2008, 07:37 PM
bakuran na yan habang maaga bago makuha ng iba....

are players allowed to recruit friends?
The bringas brothers have a friend in bataan who stands about 6'7 and bato bato pa ang katawan we call him "mutombo" sana they can recruit him... shempre para sa stags.

jpmalpas
09-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Sana mag double championship ang Seniors at Juniors natin! :D BRAVO BASTE!!! ;)

-insane-
09-05-2008, 09:42 PM
hehehe delikado poh pag pareho nakapasok sa jrs and srs sa finals baka magaya sa PCU and LETRAN hehehe

Get_Blazed
09-05-2008, 09:46 PM
hehehe delikado poh pag pareho nakapasok sa jrs and srs sa finals baka magaya sa PCU and LETRAN hehehe

Pero ibang level din naman kasi tong Staglets e. :o

-insane-
09-06-2008, 08:53 AM
hehehe delikado poh pag pareho nakapasok sa jrs and srs sa finals baka magaya sa PCU and LETRAN* hehehe

Pero ibang level din naman kasi tong Staglets e. :o

yun nga lang siguro ang pagkakaiba they are the defending champs in the jrs division

The_Big_Cat
09-08-2008, 03:31 PM
If the Stags do retain junior standout Arvie Bringas next year, we will see the brother combo of Arvie Bringas and Mark Bringas.

This will be the first brother combo since Reginald Santos and Rodney Santos in 1992 for the Stags.

-insane-
09-08-2008, 06:25 PM
may brother combo poh letran ngayon foronda brothers madalas nga lang sa bench hehehe

The_Big_Cat
09-09-2008, 10:46 AM
may brother combo poh letran ngayon foronda brothers madalas nga lang sa bench hehehe

I was referring to the San Sebastian Stags ONLY.

It would be nice to see next year the Bringas brothers going up against the Foronda brothers.
:)

King_stag
09-09-2008, 02:35 PM

It would be nice to see next year the Bringas brothers going up against the Foronda brothers.

Actually, there is. They Played for the stags last FMC open division, nasa team B ngayon. i forgot their names though ;D

bchoter
09-09-2008, 02:49 PM
^ Hindi ba nag abot ang mga Najordas?

King_stag
09-09-2008, 03:00 PM
^^
Magkasunod sila, Manong played his last season in 2005. DJ played as a rookie in 2006

King_stag
09-09-2008, 03:15 PM

Actually, there is. They Played for the stags last FMC open division, nasa team B ngayon. i forgot their names though* ;D

I remember now. the turbella's, Ryan and Homer* ;)

The_Big_Cat
09-09-2008, 04:30 PM
I remember now. the turbella's, Ryan and Homer ;)

What are their chances of being elevated in the NCAA for next season?

King_stag
09-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Atleast one of them, ryan is listed at 6'0" his brother is an inch taller. Same mold as jimbo aquino with more hops.

Get_Blazed
09-12-2008, 09:17 PM
I saw the Stags (Viray, Ballesteros, and other Stags that I dont know) at the UN Station in taft hailing Jeepneys towards Recto. Baka nagpractice sa EAC Gym?

-insane-
09-13-2008, 12:13 AM
siguro nga sa EAC nagpractice

untamed
09-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Goodluck Baste
Beat JRU!

jpmalpas
09-15-2008, 11:10 AM
GO BASTE!!! Sana makapasok sa Finals! 8)

BRAVO BASTE!!! :D

wolfy
09-15-2008, 05:17 PM
hay talo tayo ah.... sino kaya makakalaban natin sa do-or-die... :'(

The_Big_Cat
09-15-2008, 07:49 PM
The Stags almost pulled it off against the Heavy Bombers. Down by as many as 17 points, 51-34 at the start of the 4th quarter, the Stags put up a 12-0 ran to trim the lead to 5, 51-46. Kinapos lang sa dulo.

Jim Viray was held to 4 points at the start of the 4th quarter. Kinulang sa opensa ang Stags for this game.

wolfy
09-15-2008, 08:12 PM
MIT pala kalaban ng stags sa do-or-die...
Bawi nalang tayo sa MIT.

jpmalpas
09-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Sana sa nextgame malimit yung TO's! :D Natalo tayo dahil dun eh.

untamed
09-16-2008, 10:49 PM
tomorrow is our last chance to be in the final 4 against mapua. i hope baste can win big games & everything will turn out fine...

wolfy
09-17-2008, 10:03 AM
Mamaya na... Dapat umi-score si viray ng 20 pts!!Tapos Si ballesteros 20 rebounds and 10 blocks.

jpmalpas
09-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Talo. >:( Hay. Hindi man lang lumaban ang Baste, hindi man lang tayo binigyan ng magandang game. Hay! Nakakafrustrate ang performance nila. :-\

BedanRoar
09-17-2008, 03:58 PM
Medyo huli na bago matauhan ang stags para humabol. This is the second time during the elims.

jpmalpas
09-17-2008, 04:00 PM
Simple lang, wala talagang puso ang Baste. Tsk2! Hay. Frustrating game! Puro flagrant fouls. Hay!

razor
09-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Have we seen the last of Viray and Ballesteros or are they still eligible next year?

BedanRoar
09-17-2008, 04:25 PM
We'll be seeing fresh faces next season, not only sa Stags. But, in others teams also.

The_Big_Cat
09-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Have we seen the last of Viray and Ballesteros or are they still eligible next year?

Last season na nila Viray at Ballesteros. Malaking butas ang iiwan nila.

jpmalpas
09-17-2008, 07:31 PM
In my opinion, hindi naman ganon kalaking butas, dahil yung ibang teams naman eh mawawalan din ng mga players. :D

ankle breaker
09-17-2008, 09:24 PM
may mga bagong players naman na magagaling ang baste na pwede mag blossom next year. eh viray nga eh last 2 years lang nagpakitang gilas. nung mawala si red vicente at tsaka ganun din si ballesteros. kaya expect tayo na mag step up si dave najorda at ibang mga bagong stags.

jpmalpas
09-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Kung ako tatanungin, mas magaling pa si Aquino kesa kay Viray, wala lang, si Viray kasi puro kaliwa eh kaya hindi maka drive, atleast si Aquino pwede sa kaliwa, pwede din sa kanan. :D

King_stag
09-18-2008, 12:11 PM
This season might be the last for Vergel Zulueta. Last year when baste met mapua, after trailing almost the whole game najorda and viray made the crucial baskets and the stags led by one. Coach Leo called a timeout, then when the play resumed bulawan stole the ball, but the officials caught zulueta trash talking KDP. This started the 5-point swing to mapua. This kid has attitude problems, just like last game when he punched KDP. Another thing, Did you catch maconocido's "dirty finger"? I know he's frustrated but he shouldnt have done that.