PDA

View Full Version : 'The Mailman’ courted to deliver for Red Bull

gameface_one
02-29-2008, 11:11 AM
‘The Mailman’ courted to deliver for Red Bull
mb.com.ph

Believe it or not, Red Bull is negotiating to hire NBA great and former Utah Jazz star as one of its imports in the PBA Fiesta Cup next month.

Known as "The Mailman" for his ability to deliver for his team, Malone has been retired for several years and is turning 45 on July 27.

This move is apparently not a publicity stunt because Tony Chua, Red Bull’s representative said yesterday that negotiations are currently underway to lure Malone who retired as one of the NBA’s 50 Greatest Players.

Malone, whose teamup with guard John Stockton is one of the most enduring two-man partnership in NBA history, helped the Jazz to reach the NBA Finals twice and losing on both occasions to the Chicago Bulls led by Michael Jordan.

"We actually have three options but Karl Malone is our priority," Chua told the Bulletin. "We’re still awaiting his decision. I think it will be good not only for our team but also for the league."

The Fiesta Cup, which begins Mar. 30, allows teams to get an import with unlimited height. Welcoat Paints and Coca-Cola are allowed to use two reinforcements, one with unlimited height and the other not taller than 6’1".

According to Chua, they’re waiting for Malone, whose wife is a Filipina, to decide until today.

Some insiders believe it is unlikely Malone will play again for two reasons. One is his age and second, the salary.

How can he accept a contract that pays less than ,000 a month in a place halfway around the globe, said one when told of Red Bull’s plan.

For him to do that, said another, he must really be crazy about basketball and he misses the game so much.

"Otherwise, this is all a publicity gimmick."

Chua did not say how much they are offering Malone to come out of retirement and neither did he say who was negotiating for Malone’s services.

Malone was chosen by the Utah Jazz in 1985 out of Louisiana Tech with the 13th overall pick in the NBA Rookie Draft. He played 18 seasons with Utah, which he powered to the NBA Finals twice, 1997 and 1998.

He last played for Los Angeles during the 2003-04 NBA season together with Shaquille O’Neal and Kobe Bryant.

The Lakers lost to the Detroit Pistons in the 2004 Finals, with Malone missing Game 5 with a sprained right knee.

coreytaylor
02-29-2008, 12:13 PM
wwwhaaaattttt? :o

mighty_lion
02-29-2008, 12:38 PM
Ayos. ;D Sama na kaya nila si Stockton.

OT: Imho they can consider Scottie Pippen too. I read not so long ago that Pippen has been playing on various invitational tournaments outside US.

AnthonyServinio
03-02-2008, 02:32 AM
* * *THE suggested retail price of one bottle of Red Bull Energy Drink just shot up to P150.00 each!

* * *Alright, it's a joke.* But seriously now, Photokina Marketing cannot go solo on this project to sign up Karl Malone.* They have to enlist the help of their mother company.* If Red Bull can pour in millions of dollars to sponsor Formula One, it is possible that they do the same for basketball.* By the way, Red Bull is also the major sponsor of one of the teams in the United States' Major League Soccer (MLS).

* * *By the way, if they think they can use Malone's Philippine connection through his wife, there are other NBA players with Pinay-blooded wives who can come much cheaper.* We're talking here the likes of one-time San Miguel import Stephen Howard and also a former teammate of Malone at Utah and former Minnesota and Vancouver forward Doug West.

bchoter
03-02-2008, 03:21 AM
^ Stephen Howard is probably the 2nd option with West being the 3rd.

BTW, who sent the invites to Malone? Quinito Henson? :D

joelex
03-02-2008, 06:14 PM
Andy Jao saw the Mailman gulping down a bottle of red bull in the recent NBA all star game, prompting the doctor to approach Malone.

tigerman
03-02-2008, 10:15 PM
I can't wait for Queenito Henson's say about this matter.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

AnthonyServinio
03-03-2008, 02:45 AM
* * *I wonder who among the Red Bull players are willing to take a major pay-cut just for the chance to play with Karl Malone?* If this fails, The Mailman may considering delivering for . . .* Air21!* *:D :o

erichubert
03-03-2008, 10:49 AM
This news was tackled in the Salt Lake Tribune, where Malone basically shot the idea down, saying "he didn't miss playing that bad" to come here. I think Red Bull just wanted to create some media mileage for their team with this news. Stephen Howard seems to be a better fit for them.

BigBlue
03-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Here's the article from the Salt Lake Tribune (http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_8425863) on the matter. Looks like Tony Chua's pulling our collective leg on this one. Nice try.

-----------------------------------------------------

NBA: Manila not part of Mailman's route
Steve Luhm
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 03/02/2008 02:01:33 AM MST

Most mornings, after walking the dog and popping open my first Diet Coke of the day, I turn on my computer and check a handful of NBA-related Web sites.
I usually end up scanning stories from the Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, San Antonio Express-News, Dallas Morning News, Houston Chronicle and other newspapers I know do an excellent job of covering the NBA.
I rarely have reason to read stories published in the Manila Bulletin, given my general lack of interest over what is happening in the Philippines. But there are exceptions.
On Friday, a story about pro basketball in Manila caught my eye. More specifically, a story about a local professional basketball team's interest in signing Karl Malone made me think I'd accidentally grabbed a caffeine-free Diet Coke.
You remember Malone?
A decent power forward a few years ago. Played with the Jazz for a while. Could score a little bit. Enough money in the bank to not need a $20,000-a-month gig halfway around the world.
Ring a bell?
Today, Malone is 44 years old and walking around on a knee that was surgically repaired twice in the final years of his career. He has been retired since 2004. I've asked him a few times since if he missed the game and his response has always been the same: no.
After seeing the story out of Manila that claimed Malone was pondering an overseas comeback, however, I decided to make a call to Ruston, La., and see if the Mailman was planning to switch ZIP codes - assuming they have ZIP codes in the Philippines.
I didn't get anyone to answer, but left a message. A few minutes later, Malone called back.
"There was a story on the Internet," I told him, "that says you are thinking about signing with a team in the Philippines."
I might as well have asked Malone if he's talked to Kobe Bryant lately.
Did I feel stupid.
Reading about Malone making a comeback with a team in the Philippines didn't seem half as ridiculous as it did when I actually verbalized it.
I wanted to hang up, but it was too late for an anonymous getaway, so I waited for Malone's response.
"What?" he said.
I repeated the reason for my call and, yes, it sounded just as ridiculous as it did the first time.
"Steve, I don't know what you're talking about," Malone said.
Sensing my overwhelming feeling of embarrassment, perhaps, he didn't wait for me to respond.
"Steve, you know me, don't you?" Malone continued. "Do you think I miss it that bad? No. Hell, no."
OK.
I quickly scratched the Karl Malone-to-Manila off my list of possible story ideas, although I couldn't resist asking if he knew where a story like this could have started.
Malone's theory?
He was interviewed by a Philadelphia radio station "four or five days ago" and, at one point, mentioned the Philippines as one country he would like to visit.
If it ever happens, Malone will be playing tourist, not basketball.
Of course, I knew that.
---
* STEVE LUHM is The Tribune's national NBA writer and can be reached at luhm@
sltrib.com.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Naknam...hehehe, nawala antok ko nung nabasa ko ito ah hahaha! Ang lakas mangarap ni Tony Chua. Kunsabagay, libre nga naman daw mangarap. :D

gameface_one
03-06-2008, 06:52 AM
No word from Red Bull exec regarding Malone

By WAYLON GALVEZ
mb.com.ph

After boasting that Red Bull was trying to acquire the services of NBA great Karl Malone, team manager Tony Chua has made himself scarce and has refused to answer text and phone calls to shed light on the alleged negotiation with the former Utah Jazz great also known as "The Mailman."

Last week, Chua said Red Bull was trying to lure the 6-foot-9 Malone, whose wife is a Filipina, out of retirement and consider playing in the Philippines.

"We actually have three options but Karl Malone is our priority," Chua said.

However, Chua has not answered calls and text messages, making people wonder whether it was all a "publicity gimmick."

Chua said they were expecting Malone to come up with a decision last Friday regarding the Red Bull offer, but until now, there has been no word from the Red Bull official. And no word from Chua.

Malone, 44, last played for Los Angeles during the 2003-04 NBA Season. The Lakers lost to the Detroit Pistons in the 2004 Finals, with Malone missing Game 5 due to a sprained right knee. Despite offers from other NBA teams, Malone opted to retire on Feb. 13, 2005. He never won an NBA title. On the other hand, until now, the three San Miguel Corp. (SMC) teams are shopping for imports for the season-ending conference.

According to SMC chief for Basketball Operations Robert Non, the three SMC teams – Purefoods, Magnolia Beverage and Barangay Ginebra – have yet to finalize their reinforcement.

"Until now no imports yet for the three teams," Non said yesterday, adding that the three teams have their respective lists of possible reinforcements but did not give other details.

Team officials hope to make good use of the PBA Legends Tour next week where they have been invited to play.

The Giants’ Alvin Patrimonio (team manager) and Ronnie Magsanoc (assistant coach); the Beverage Masters’ Hector Calma (team manager) and Olsen Racela (assistant playing coach); and the Kings’ Allan Caidic and Art dela Cruz (assistant coaches) will all play in the PBA Legends Tour. "They’ll take advantage of the opportunity to see the imports they are eyeing," Non added. The imports, according to Non, the three teams are eyeing are all playing in the NBA Developmental League or NBDL. "Next week pa malalaman if ok ‘yung mga tinitignan nilang imports. Ayaw pa sabihin yung names hanggat ‘di confirmed," Non, who is also Ginebra’s team governor to the PBA Board, said.

The Fiesta Cup is set to open on Mar. 29 with an out-of-town game while a double-header will be featured the following day. Talk ’N Text, which tapped former Oklahoma University Sooners star forward Aaron McGhee, will play Coca-Cola in the first game next conference at Panabo City in Davao del Norte.

The game starts at 4:30 p.m.

The Tigers will parade two imports – one with unlimited height and the other not taller than 6-foot-1 – as incentive for finishing at the bottom two of the standings in the previous Philippine Cup.

The following day at the Araneta Coliseum, Welcoat Paints, also with two imports, takes on Air21 at 4:30 p.m., which will have Steve Thomas, while Red Bull meets Ginebra at 6:50 p.m.

gameface_one
03-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Manila not part of Mailman’s route

By Steve Luhm
mb.com.ph

Most mornings, after walking the dog and popping open my first Diet Coke of the day, I turn on my computer and check a handful of NBA-related Web sites.

I usually end up scanning stories from the Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, San Antonio ExpressNews, Dallas Morning News, Houston Chronicle and other newspapers I know do an excellent job of covering the NBA. I rarely have reason to read stories published in the Manila Bulletin, given my general lack of interest over what is happening in the Philippines. But there are exceptions.

On Friday, a story about pro basketball in Manila caught my eye. More specifically, a story about a local professional basketball team’s interest in signing Karl Malone made me think I’d accidentally grabbed a caffeine-free Diet Coke.

You remember Malone? A decent power forward a few years ago. Played with the Jazz for a while. Could score a little bit. Enough money in the bank to not need a ,000-a-month gig halfway around the world. Ring a bell?

Today, Malone is 44 years old and walking around on a knee that was surgically repaired twice in the final years of his career. He has been retired since 2004. I’ve asked him a few times since if he missed the game and his response has always been the same: no.

After seeing the story out of Manila that claimed Malone was pondering an overseas comeback, however, I decided to make a call to Ruston, La., and see if the Mailman was planning to switch ZIP.

I didn’t get anyone to answer, but left a message. A few minutes later, Malone called back. "There was a story on the Internet," I told him, "that says you are thinking about signing with a team in the Philippines."

I might as well have asked Malone if he’s talked to Kobe Bryant lately. Did I feel stupid. Reading about Malone making a comeback with a team in the Philippines didn’t seem half as ridiculous as it did when I actually verbalized it. I wanted to hang up, but it was too late for an anonymous getaway, so I waited for Malone’s response.

"What?" he said. I repeated the reason for my call and, yes, it sounded just as ridiculous as it did the first time.

"Steve, I don’t know what you’re talking about," Malone said. Sensing my overwhelming feeling of embarrassment, perhaps, he didn’t wait for me to respond.

"Steve, you know me, don’t you?" Malone continued. "Do you think I miss it that bad? No. Hell, no." OK. I quickly scratched the Karl Malone-to-Manila off my list of possible story ideas, although I couldn’t resist asking if he knew where a story like this could have started.

Malone’s theory? He was interviewed by a Philadelphia radio station "four or five days ago" and, at one point, mentioned the Philippines as one country he would like to visit. If it ever happens, Malone will be playing tourist, not basketball. Of course, I knew that.

(Steve Luhm is The Salt Lake Tribune’s national NBA writer)

james_ty
03-11-2008, 11:31 AM
In a radio interview this morning, Red Bull coach Yeng Guiao said that the team is not pursuing Malone anymore.

The PBA salary cap of $20,000 a month for imports is too small for a man of Malone's stature.

Let's put this issue to rest.

stonecold316
03-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Maganda sanang PR kung nakuha ng Red Bull si Karl Malone. Pero like what the man said, hindi nya nami-miss ang basketball so end of story.

;D ;D ;D

stonecold316