PDA

View Full Version : New twist in fabled Ateneo-DLSU rivalry

gameface_one
02-27-2008, 07:27 AM
New twist in fabled Ateneo-DLSU rivalry
mb.com.ph

The fabled cagers of La Salle and Ateneo are going at it one more time this Sunday.

For a change, however, there’ll be no major title at stake nor a final four or semifinals slot to fight for when the Green Archers and the Blue Eagles troop to the court at the Araneta Coliseum.

"It’s going to be a benefit game," said former Cabinet secretary Philip Juico, an avid La Salle alumni.

The encounter is dubbed as "Basketball Game for Truth."

Archers head coach Franz Pumaren, who is also busy training the national youth team, bared that it won’t exactly be a strict La Salle versus Ateneo match-up since the two teams will lend out six players each to play alongside rival dribblers.

"We will be sending six players to Ateneo in exchange for six of their players," said Pumaren, who will be back next season to defend the UAAP crown.

Norman Black, who calls the shots for Ateneo, has already been informed about the game and is also looking forward to the game at the Big Dome.

"We will be mixing Ateneo and La Salle players on both sides and we are ready to play," said Black, who holds regular practices with the Eagles "all year round" to make sure the team doesn’t miss a single beat.

"The lineup hasn’t been finalized yet," added Black, who will be back to holler out instructions from the bench.

Last year, the two schools battled it out five times in the run-up to the finals that went down in league history as the most intense head-to-head clash ever with the gate attendance of each game leaving sports officials grinning from ear-to-ear.

—Nick GIONGCO

Nike Air
02-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Any information regarding the time of the game? Can tickets be bought at the Araneta ticket booth?

glock23
02-27-2008, 05:45 PM
DLSU OSD starting tommorrow. im sure araneta will sell them as well.

02-27-2008, 06:21 PM
If not for the beneficiary/ies this will be a boring game IMHO ::)

Scout
02-27-2008, 06:28 PM
DLSU ADMU mixed?????

:P :P :P

madskillz
02-28-2008, 09:16 AM
That should be interesting to watch! ???

gameface_one
02-28-2008, 10:15 AM
La Salle, Ateneo to play benefit game for ZTE witness
abs-cbnnews.com

University basketball rivals Ateneo and De La Salle will face off this weekend to raise money for the "sanctuary fund" of Senate witness Rodolfo Noel "Jun" Lozada Jr.

Paul Garilao of De La Salle University media bureau said the match will be held at the Araneta Coliseum in Cubao, Quezon City at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Garilao said executives of both universities agreed to organize the basketball match for Lozada, whose testimony about the alleged irregularities in the botched $329.5-million national broadband network (NBN) deal is widely supported by the civil society and religious groups.

The University of Sto. Tomas cheering squad have also been invited to participate in the event.

Garilao said proceeds of the game will go to Lozada's sanctuary fund. Tickets for the game cost P120 and up.

Lozada and his usual entourage of nuns and priests are expected to watch the game at the coliseum.

The Association of Major Religious Superiors in the Philippines (AMRSP) started the fund raising campaign for Lozada with the support of Sen. Francis Pangilinan. Last week, Pangilinan said the fund has reached the P500,000 mark and money continues to pour for Lozada.

Checks may be sent to AMRSP Special funds 28 Acacia Street, Quezon City, with telephone numbers 724 4434 or 448 5644, or deposited in MBTC Account No. 3259-07445-3.

Lozada had twice returned big amounts of money during previous NBN hearings at the Senate.

The Senate witness has also turned over P500,000 cash to the Senate. He said the amount came from Deputy Executive Secretary Manuel Gaite.

Gaite said the money came from his own pocket and not from government funds.

coreytaylor
02-28-2008, 04:00 PM
I hope they will televise this game. Are they going to?

GHRanger
02-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Heard from AP.com that this might be moved to the 16th. Abangan ang final announcement.

5FootCarrot
02-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Just confirming that we've received information on the Ateneo side that the game will not push through on Sunday, and that there is no official word yet on whether it will be moved to March 16.

nel
02-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Just a comment on the proposed fund raising project.

Why are people raising funds for Lozada? Has anyone really determined beyond the shadow of a doubt that he is a worthy recipient of such financial support?

Recent information in the media shows that the whistle blower also has skeletons in his closet. A second family with 4 kids? Being able to send his kids from his legit family to LSGH, having a Wack Wack membership, all these are highly improbable on a 50K monthly salary. Now we learn that there is a second family, something which he has never denied. Will there be a third? I sure would like to hear how he was able to fund these activities on a government salary. Yet nobody has asked these questions.

His raising the issues against Arroyo is well and good, and he should prove them conclusively so that the legal process can be initiated if warranted. But his recent posturing makes him seem like he's going for sainthood or at least running for public office in the next elections. We should thank him for bringing the information to light, but let's not make him into what he obviously isn't. His past transgressions aren't absolved by his coming clean on this particular transaction, despite what some people are inclined to believe.

Is he truly morally deserving of this kind of fund raising project from La Salle and Ateneo? I would like to watch the game, but if it means that I'm giving him money directly or indirectly, no thanks. I don't owe him anything for his doing the right thing. I'd figure that by most definitions, this doesn't qualify as a cause worthy of a La Salle - Ateneo fundraiser. I'll wait for the UAAP season to see them play.

gameface_one
02-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Eagles, Archers in friendly game to raise funds for Lozada

By Kristine L. Alave
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 21:34:00 02/28/2008

MANILA, Philippines -- The Ateneo de Manila Blue Eagles and the De La Salle University Green Archers have a basketball rivalry that stretches back to generations.

But on March 16, the two squads and their rabid fans will set aside their history of bitter competition for a friendly match in Araneta Coliseum dubbed “La Salle at Ateneo: Magkasangga Para sa Katotohanan (Team for the Truth)” to raise funds for the legal expenses of broadband whistleblower Rodolfo Noel Lozada, Jr.

Jay Calleja, De La Salle Philippines director for corporate communications, said it would be a game for the books.

He noted that there would be no blue-green divide on the 16th as some members of the universities’ elite basketball varsity teams would switch squads.

“It’s something that we will do for the first time,” he said. “A La Salle-Ateneo game is very special. It is something close to Filipinos’ hearts.”

Raf Naval-Santos, communications officer of the Ateneo de Manila Alumni Association, confirmed the game. “It’s a mixed roster,” he said. Some Blue Eagles will play for the Green Archers and vice-versa, according to Naval-Santos.

One group will be coached by DLSU’s Franz Pumaren, the other will be coached by ADMU’s Norman Black, according to Calleja.

The cheering squads of the two teams were also learning the words of each other’s school song and cheers, he added.

Pep squads from St. Scholastica’s College and the University of Sto. Tomas, Lozada’s alma mater, are also expected to participate.

Ticket prices for the game starts at P25 for general admission. Patron seats are pegged at P350.

Proceeds from the tickets will benefit the Association of Major Religious Superiors of the Philippines’ Sanctuary Fund, which aims to help whistleblowers like Lozada in their legal and security expenses.

As of February 28, the Sanctuary Fund had reached P1.90 million, Fr. Junvic Diolata, of the AMRSP, said.

nel
02-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Posted by anakin in AP:

^Sorry, not directly about the basketball match, but related with the "good cause" of the said game.

Got this email, just a forwarded mail..

Will just share it for wider perspective and maybe withhold judgment..

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Br. Bernie FSC and my Lasallian family,

I would like to respectfully furnish you and our community with a copy of the statement of my husband, Deputy Executive Secretary Manuel Gaite in the light of the repeated public allegations of Mr. Jun Lozada against him.

The words of St. Augustine "No one can claim a monopoly of the truth" are what have kept my husband and I going at this darkest hour of our family life. I fully stand by the integrity and honesty of my husband and I know he is not capable of doing anything as dishonorable as what Mr. Lozada have kept telling the senate and the media.

It is very sad that when my husband finally got a chance to face Mr.. Lozada in the senate and state the facts from his side, Mr. Lozada so easily got away with his very damaging statements in the previous days. I vividly recall how in a previous senate hearing before my husband was called to testify, not to mention in many media interviews, Mr. Lozada so freely maligned the name of my husband, saying among others, that it was my husband who told him to lie, go to Hongkong to evade the senate, and allegedly used the term "delatory tactic" to orchestrate the entire cover up.

When my husband finally got his chance to be heard in the senate, at one point, Mr. Lozada corrected himself, saying he must have confused my husband with another lawyer. And Mr. Lozada so easily got away with it, just like that, and still earned himself the description of a very credible and consistent witness thereafter.

Last Saturday night, when my husband was not there in the "Harapan" to be able to promptly refute, clarify or correct Mr. Lozada's heavy allegations, Mr.. Lozada again so freely accused my husband, saying that the same gave him P 500,000 pesos to keep him away from the Senate.

The next day, which was the 100th year of our town Fiesta where my husband happens to be the parish centennial celebration president, was a very trying time for us as a couple, when he had to stand up in our parish and thank all those who have supported him for the celebration. Although I know how he must have been hurting inside, I never heard him utter any word to use the opportunity to air his side in the face of such damaging accusations. It was also the same time when my own La Salle community was hailing Mr. Lozada a hero in our nation's search for truth, someone whose words cannot be questioned anymore, someone against whose words, a differing view would only be condemned.

I have silently watched and listened to how our La Salle brothers and other members of our La Salle community, many other religious and former government leaders have repeatedly affirmed the credibility of Mr. Jun Lozada to a level seemingly beyond doubt, calling others whose words do not jibe with his story as corrupt and merely covering up for the President.. Even then, I prayed I would not be tempted to pass judgment against the brothers although in my hearts of hearts, my question was how could some of the brothers whom I thought knew me personally and my husband quickly judge him purely based on the allegations of Mr. Lozada?

During the MBC meeting the other week, I learned that Dean Juico stood up for my husband whom he had known since the time of Pres. Cory and asked the MBC to at least hear first what my husband had to say in the senate before asking him to resign based on Mr. Lozada's very serious allegations) . I was surprised to learn today from Dean Juico that it was only a couple of days ago when Br. Armin was able to recall that DES Gaite is my husband. It bothers me because I had thought that considering that if the allegations of Mr. Lozada are all true, the people charged would be punished; at least due diligence must have been done by persons supposedly discerning and courageously standing up for the truth. I know I'm not an authority in spirituality but many innocent people could be irreparably damaged through trial by publicity and even our own search for truth if our means are not as carefully consistent with our sincere ends. This is not to discredit anybody nor to criticize those who fully support the crusade for truth of Mr. Lozada as well as those who believed him completely but rather to contribute to our communal discernment of Truth for our country.

The thing that get me going these days, as I have said, are St. Augustine's words No one can claim the monopoly of the truth. Truth is neither yours nor mine. It is God's. We all hold in our fragile hands a piece of Truth and I believe the call is for us to put those pieces together, humbly and with a readiness to hear other sides, even a contrary view, believing the best and not the worst in each other in order to build our country from where we are, however broken or in need of healing.

This will be my first time to say publicly that my husband has served four presidents as an honorable man. And in all those times, not one president I recall, can claim perfection nor freedom from any allegations. What if by any chance, not all that Mr. Lozada are saying are true? Can we still bring back the good names of people and their families should they be later proven innocent in the court of law, or completely erase the clouds of doubt that have been sown in the minds of people against them?

All I ask is for you to give my husband and all others concerned the benefit of the doubt and the human right of presumption of innocence unless proven guilty. Loving my husband as much as I do, I would not in any way attempt to obstruct justice, if he has truly done anything unlawful or dishonorable.

Since I am currently serving in your august school as Director of our Center for Social Responsibility and Human Development, which I consider the closest to a Center for Ethics that we have at the moment, I would understand it should you honestly feel I no longer have the credibility necessary for the good name of the Center.

I have humbly attached for your kind attention the statement of my husband. In a way it's our joint statement since a part of what was recounted there happened when I was there. While I informed him that I would send you a copy of his statement, I did not tell him anymore of this emotional transmittal letter from me, which I will also copy furnish him.

I only wish good things for Mr. Lozada and the rest of us.

Yours sincerely,

(Signed) MRS. MARIBEL R. GAITE

================================================== =================

I would like to invite people to rethink whether the fund raising activities for Mr. Lozada are actually justifiable. Should La Salle and Ateneo allow themselves to be used to raise funds for him? Is this truly a worthy cause?