PDA

View Full Version : soc rivera, will gonna play for adamson

stat
02-09-2008, 12:17 PM
ilang years ang residency nya ?

coreytaylor
02-09-2008, 01:16 PM
ilang years ang residency nya ?

2 yrs pa. He will be suiting up for the Falcons iin Season73.

batangueño
02-09-2008, 06:13 PM

1 year playing for UP + 2 years required residency for UAAP to UAAP transfers = only 2 years to play for Adamson

blueatheart
02-09-2008, 08:36 PM
sigurado na ba to?

stat
02-09-2008, 09:32 PM
yes. because the manager or benefactor of soc, will be part of adamson rebuilding program

GHRanger
02-09-2008, 09:35 PM

1 year playing for UP + 2 years required residency for UAAP to UAAP transfers = only 2 years to play for Adamson

I'm not sure how old soc is -- so correct me if i'm wrong.
But I think he can play for 4 more years at Adamson. *Refering to the 7 years out of highschool, we all know that Soc is a bonafide frosh when he entered UP.

So 1 year in up + 2 years residency = 3 years. *So using the 7 years out of HS rule, that gives Soc 4 years to play. *That is if he elects to play the whole 4 years... *may benefactor kasi eh... ;)

BLUE HORSE
02-09-2008, 11:32 PM
I agree with the analysis of GHRanger.* The only thing I will add is that Soc can not be 24 years old by the time the UAAP starts during his 7th year out of high school.* If this is the case then Soc will violate the maximum age requirement of the UAAP.

AnthonyServinio
02-10-2008, 02:16 AM
I agree with the analysis of GHRanger.* The only thing I will add is that Soc can not be 24 years old by the time the UAAP starts during his 7th year of high school.* If this is the case then Soc will violate the maximum age requirement of the UAAP.

* * *LET US assume that since Socrates Rivera was allowed to play in the UAAP Juniors Season 69, he should be at the most 18 years old when he payed.* Therefore, the kid should be 19 going on 20 this year.* It will be a photo-finish so to speak!

* * *By the way, the UAAP Board ruled that intra-UAAP transfers be two years after Adamson Falcon Marlou Aquino tried albeit unsuccessfully to transfer to UE.* Aquino was hoping to gain an early entry into the PBA Draft but his transcript failed to show the minumum units earned required by the pro league.* In disgust, Aquino tried to transfer to UE.* The rational of the rule is to avoid piracy hence creating animosity among league member schools and an athlete would definitely think twice about transferring since two years is quite too long a wait.

coreytaylor
02-10-2008, 01:16 PM

I'm not sure how old soc is -- so correct me if i'm wrong.
But I think he can play for 4 more years at Adamson. *Refering to the 7 years out of highschool, we all know that Soc is a bonafide frosh when he entered UP.

So 1 year in up + 2 years residency = 3 years. *So using the 7 years out of HS rule, that gives Soc 4 years to play. *That is if he elects to play the whole 4 years... *may benefactor kasi eh... ;)

correct me if Im wrong: diba 5 years lang ang maximum playing years ng isang player kahit wala pa siya sa age limit na 24? just clarrifying.

BLUE HORSE
02-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Correct, but as others have pointed out you have to add the 2 years he will spend doing residency. If Rivera turns 24 before July 2013, he will be to old to play in the UAAP. A player can not play despite not exhausting his eligibility if he turn 24 before the start of the UAAP. If he turns 24 after the start of the UAAP, the player has met the age requirement. Think Chad Alonzo of Adamson.

coreytaylor
02-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Correct, but as others have pointed out you have to add the 2 years he will spend doing residency.* If Rivera turns 24 before July 2013, he will be to old to play in the UAAP.* A player can not play despite not exhausting his eligibility if he turn 24 before the start of the UAAP.* If he turns 24 after the start of the UAAP, the player has met the age requirement.* Think Chad Alonzo of Adamson.

Tnx for the info. Well, its UPs fault anyway. Sayang talaga si Soc. With this, it will also mean that Magi Sison will be the remaining center in the UP roster next season. They would definitely need to recruit tall players.

02-10-2008, 02:52 PM
will gonna play??? ???

batangueño
02-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Tnx for the info. Well, its UPs fault anyway. Sayang talaga si Soc. With this, it will also mean that Magi Sison will be the remaining center in the UP roster next season. They would definitely need to recruit tall players.

Sadly, Soc Rivera was UP's only "legitimate" 4/5. Soc got more playing time than fellow 4/5 Andrew Marfori. As for UP's supposed to be center Magi Sison, he had this tendency to stay in the perimeter and do outside shots rather than perform his function underneath the basket. It was really a waste that after that squabble with FEU before basketball competitions commenced, UP was to lose Soc Rivera, this time to Adamson.

With Rivera's departure, only Sison and Marfori will play the role 4/5 spots for UP, thus causing the Maroons' problem in the middle to worsen. It would also be difficult to recruit players at this time for the year given the internal problems that UP's basketball program is experiencing right now so I am thinking that the new coach, whoever he will be, will have no choice but to elevate Cyron Lozano (6'4") and Jomar Paulino (6'4") from Team B to Team A.

coreytaylor
02-10-2008, 03:37 PM

Sadly, Soc Rivera was UP's only "legitimate" 4/5. Soc got more playing time than fellow 4/5 Andrew Marfori. As for UP's supposed to be center Magi Sison, he had this tendency to stay in the perimeter and do outside shots rather than perform his function underneath the basket. It was really a waste that after that squabble with FEU before basketball competitions commenced, UP was to lose Soc Rivera, this time to Adamson.

With Rivera's departure, only Sison and Marfori will play the role 4/5 spots for UP, thus causing the Maroons' problem in the middle to worsen. It would also be difficult to recruit players at this time for the year given the internal problems that UP's basketball program is experiencing right now so I am thinking that the new coach, whoever he will be, will have no choice but to elevate Cyron Lozano (6'4") and Jomar Paulino (6'4") from Team B to Team A.

^Yep. How good is Cyron Lozano anyway?

stonecold316
02-11-2008, 04:00 AM

UP basketball is really in the pits so to speak. Wala ng coach, may umalis pa na magaling na player. Hay, the future looks dim for the Maroons.

stonecold316

dioning
02-11-2008, 12:35 PM
medyo OT
remember, MVP is now regent at ang tsismax e feeling peyuper na siya
kung di makalusot si buenafe sa acet
sigurado sa vaas lusot sya

but am happy for the falcons
may direksiyon na ang programa nila
sana mag-contend na rin sila ulit
the more the manyer
mas masarap ang uaap pag ganun

socrates will do well sa adu

oca
02-11-2008, 01:15 PM
But 2 years residency seems not right for a player of his quality. Sino ba ang benefactor ng bata and he would rather have the kid sit 2 years?

Not fair to the kid, imo.

As I have said so many times before. Kids just want the opportunity to play. Waiting, to wait for another two years goes against the very nature of being a kid.

Hindi lang siguro makahindi ang bata when told he will be brought to AdU. Not* that he doesn't like being a Falcon, pero is he willing to wait for 2 years? In fact to transfer to another UAAP school is not fair to the kid, imo.

Kid, speak your mind.... ok, wishful thinking on my part.

GHRanger
02-11-2008, 01:42 PM
2 years is indeed a long time especially for a young and promising kid like him... Kids like these should be constantly challenged, trained and not put in the icebox.

Unless he moves to the NC' and take up 1 year that's how it's going to be. Adamson will need to keep a small second team to ensure that the guys they're taking in during the buildup can attend other leagues and don't get all too rusty.

He's a good addition to the Falcons, no question. Good Luck na lang kid.

stonecold316
02-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Sayang nga ang talent ni Soc Rivera. I mean, sitting two years might cause a negative impact on his career. Anyway, sana alagaan ng Adamson ang bata for his sake na rin.

stonecold316

oca
02-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Hindi pa tapos ang school year, pumapasok pa yan and he will continue to socialize and mingle with people at Diliman. He will be told and hear opinions about that 2 years. Who knows baka mapag-isip at magsalita ang bata. At kung maganda ang magiging panimula ng bagong coach ng UP, malay natin baka hindi na yan umalis ng UP.

I am aware this is the Falcons' Lair and to say that the kid may not transfer to San Marcelino afterall does not serve the interest of Adamson.

Pero sa isang tulad ko na di kabilang sa alin sa mga communidad dito sa gameface, except to admit that I am a Red Cub fan, yung interest ng nino man ay walang halaga sa akin, liban duon sa kung ano ang para sa bata.

Mahirap talagang tanggapin yung 2 taon na uupo lang ang bata. Sayang. What makes it even more disadvantageous for the kid, corollary to what GHRanger said, alam naman natin na halos hindi napagkikita ang Team B ng Admason before, during and after the UAAP.

Will Admason have a very active Team B just for this kid? Competitive at that.

stat
02-12-2008, 06:45 PM
^ sabi nga yung agent yung magdadala sa adamson kasi kasama siya sa mga "brains" sa pagkakaroon ng program ng adamson. pati kung lilipat sa ncaa, di naman masyadong sikat mga players jan e. wla silang gaanong hype

Dark Knight
02-13-2008, 08:34 PM
The consequences of the Anton Montinola rule just netted its first victim. ;D

toti_mendiola
02-13-2008, 08:43 PM
^ sabi nga yung agent yung magdadala sa adamson kasi kasama siya sa mga "brains" sa pagkakaroon ng program ng adamson. pati kung lilipat sa ncaa, di naman masyadong sikat mga players jan e. wla silang gaanong hype

Ano ba ang gusto nila, ma hype si soc? He got his share of the hype last year as a rookie, turns out he was all that. NC o UAAP all hype pa rin siya. :)

nash_bedista
02-14-2008, 12:01 AM
Sus! Kya pala Kick-Out ng San Beda High School. That's you call "BRAINS!" >:(

danny
02-14-2008, 02:00 AM
Sus! Kya .....

OT

There is no need for such comment, pare. This is not PEX. We strive to make a difference here in gameface like what we are also doing in B.com. Although there are people here na doble kara, they can trash talk* in their own sites, for all I care. Not here in gameface, however.*

If we lose the credibility and integrity of gameface, where else can hardcore hoopsters go?

Payo lang ng kapwa Bedista. Hindi pa gamay ni stat ang gameface. Bagito pa lang kaya ganyan ang comment.

stat, hindi ka naman pala hardcore hoopster.* Mahilig ka lang sa hype.* Sa tingin mo , gagaling ang isang manlalaro dahil sa hype? Na gagaling ang Adamson dahil na hype last year si Soc Rivera? Hype lang yun pare. Hype. He hasn't proven anything yet in college hoops. Let him prove himself first, then we will sing him praises. Maghintay nga lang siya ng dalawang taon sa UAAP , kung kahype-hype pa rin siya nun.

Soc was last year's hype. Iba na ngayon ang hina-hype. Basketball is not a game of hype. Sa gameface, psyops lang yang hype. Pang pasira ng loob ng kalaban. Nothing more nothing less.* :D

danny
02-14-2008, 02:06 AM
^ sabi nga yung agent yung magdadala sa adamson kasi kasama siya sa mga "brains" sa pagkakaroon ng program ng adamson. pati kung lilipat sa ncaa, di naman masyadong sikat mga players* jan e. wla silang gaanong hype

And this was your reply to oca?

Come on....give use more substance . Throw some witty and razor sharp rebuttal. Not this PEX-like comment.

danny
02-14-2008, 02:24 AM
will gonna play???* ???

;D Rookie mistake. Pagbigyan. ;D

LION
02-14-2008, 07:59 AM
Hmmmmm. Who is Michael Galin.................sheeshhhhhh. Forget it......* :-X

Back to regular programming and let's not digress.

Tama si oca. Sayang yung 2 years na aantayin ni Soc lalo na at wala naman yatang Team B and Adamson. Baka tumaba lang si Soc sa 2 taon na yan.

professor
02-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Is he really going to AdU? The team has been practicing and still no confirmation of Soc Rivera. Pappy Galinato is still the main five and the team in the FMC is not really the final team as new recruits and Coach Austria's boys or recruits have still to show up. Summer is fast approaching and lets see how Soc will turn up in the practices.

stat
02-14-2008, 10:56 AM
soc didn't want to leave UP. however, his manager convinced him to and he was left with no choice. his manager is connected with adamson. being part of the rebuilding program of adamson basketball

cub
02-14-2008, 11:24 AM

hindi siya kick out ng San Beda HS. kusang loob siya umalis dahil na rin sa mga "ginagawa" sa kanya sa quarters..

nash_bedista
02-14-2008, 12:20 PM
ah ok, sorry po. Kasi Kwento rin sa akin ng Kaibigan kong Beda High ng Problems sa Studies, yun pla may "Ginagawa" pla sa kanya sa Quarters. Same also with Ferdinand may "ginagawa" din sa kanya sa Quarters kya umalis din siya sa San Beda.

stonecold316
02-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Amen to this Sir Danny! More power to you as always.

Anyway, para hindi off-topic. Sana nga lang eh kung lilipat na talaga si Soc Rivera, hindi masayang ang playing career niya sa Adamson. For a player like him full of potential just to sit for two years just to have residency is really a sad thing. I just wish the kid all the best in his playing career sa UAAP.

Sus! Kya .....

OT

There is no need for such comment, pare. This is not PEX. We strive to make a difference here in gameface like what we are also doing in B.com. Although there are people here na doble kara, they can trash talk* in their own sites, for all I care. Not here in gameface, however.*

If we lose the credibility and integrity of gameface, where else can hardcore hoopsters go?*

Payo lang ng kapwa Bedista. Hindi pa gamay ni stat ang gameface. Bagito pa lang kaya ganyan ang comment.

stat, hindi ka naman pala hardcore hoopster.* Mahilig ka lang sa hype.* Sa tingin mo , gagaling ang isang manlalaro dahil sa hype? Na gagaling ang Adamson dahil na hype last year si Soc Rivera? Hype lang yun pare. Hype. He hasn't proven anything yet in college hoops. Let him prove himself first, then we will sing him praises. Maghintay nga lang siya ng dalawang taon sa UAAP , kung kahype-hype pa rin siya nun.

Soc was last year's hype. Iba na ngayon ang hina-hype. Basketball is not a game of hype. Sa gameface, psyops lang yang hype. Pang pasira ng loob ng kalaban. Nothing more nothing less.* :D

toti_mendiola
02-14-2008, 06:53 PM

hindi siya kick out ng San Beda HS. kusang loob siya umalis dahil na rin sa mga "ginagawa" sa kanya sa quarters..

Alin? inaagawan di ba si soc ng bwiskit ni ogie at shaq?

BLUE HORSE
02-15-2008, 12:49 AM
Sounds similar to the reason given by Ferdinand on why he left the Cubs lair?

danny
02-15-2008, 01:37 AM

Pilyo. ;D

Mayroon bang Team B ang Adamson? Habang naghihihtay si Soc ng dalawang taon, ano ang gagawin niya?

True, the handler gives support to Soc that extends even to his family. But, come to think of it, Adamson is still rebuilding. For how long? 2 years also?

Kung maghihintay din lang pala siya ng dalawang taon, bakit hindi na lang maghintay sa isang programang mayroong linaw. Like La Salle or UST for example. Or go to the NCAA's Letran, Mapua or San Sebastian. Pwede ding Benilde. Better yet, stay in UP.

Why Adamson? Yes yes, because of the handler. However, is this in the best interest of Soc Rivera? Sayang naman ang dalawang taon.

AnthonyServinio
02-15-2008, 02:07 AM

* Pilyo.* ;D

Mayroon bang Team B ang Adamson? Habang naghihihtay si Soc ng dalawang taon, ano ang gagawin niya?

True, the handler gives support to Soc that extends even to his family. But, come to think of it,* Adamson is still rebuilding.* For how long? 2 years also?

Kung maghihintay din lang pala siya ng dalawang taon, bakit hindi na lang maghintay sa isang programang mayroong linaw. Like La Salle or* UST for example.* Or go to the NCAA's* Letran, Mapua or San Sebastian. Pwede ding Benilde. Better yet, stay in UP.

Why Adamson? Yes yes, because of the handler. However, is this in the best interest of Soc Rivera? Sayang naman ang dalawang taon.

* * *THE COACH of Socrates Rivera in high school at FEU-FERN, Sebastian de Vera, has just been appointed as one of the new UP-Diliman assistant coaches.* Hopefully, he can advise his one-time player on his future plans.

batangueño
02-15-2008, 03:29 AM
Can Potit even convince Soc to change his mind regarding the mood to Adamson? As far as I know, this benefactor has "control" not only on Soc but also on Soc's family, thus it will be very difficult for the kid to make decisions by himself. ;)

LION
02-15-2008, 08:09 AM

Boodle fight lang naman yun. At saka sabi sa akin hindi naman daw talaga inaagawan dahil nag offer naman daw sila kaya lang nagtataka sila kung bakit pag nandiyan na yung mga pari e biglang magsusumbong na inaagawan daw sila.

skyflakes ang dahilan. ;D

cub
02-15-2008, 08:57 AM

Boodle fight lang naman yun. At saka sabi sa akin hindi naman daw talaga inaagawan dahil nag offer naman daw sila kaya lang nagtataka sila kung bakit pag nandiyan na yung mga pari e biglang magsusumbong na inaagawan daw sila.

skyflakes ang dahilan. ;D

hindi daw skyflakes eh.. baka pag sinabi ko ang tunay na dahilan dito eh maraming mabastusan at magalit sa ating "STAR PLAYER".

toti_mendiola
02-15-2008, 09:11 AM
there are two sides of the coin cub and how certain are you that what you know is the "tunay na dahilan" nandun ka ba nung nangyari yun?

GHRanger
02-15-2008, 09:26 AM
^ guys we're going a bit off tangent with the Cub's Quarters experience here. ;D ;D

Balik sa tanong -- ano gagawin ni Soc for 2 years? Going into non-developmental leagues will definitely use up his eligibility.

cub
02-15-2008, 09:28 AM
there are two sides of the coin cub and how certain are you that what you know is the "tunay na dahilan" nandun ka ba nung nangyari yun?

let's just say na lang na ex-red cub ang nagsabi saken.. batchmate nila "STAR PLAYER".. nakita niya ang nangayari..

LION
02-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Final OT on my part.

Ex red cub din naman kausap namin e.* So there are really two sides here.* *;)* The side of those who left and that of those who stayed. And let's not wash dirty laundry in public or in another house.* Di naglalaba at di marunong maglaba ang mga bedista. ;)

Ok back to regular programming.*

michaelangelo_kid
02-15-2008, 10:50 AM
cub appears to be more green than red. :)

lekiboy
02-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Final OT on my part.

Ex red cub din naman kausap namin e.* So there are really two sides here.* *;)* The side of those who left and that of those who stayed. And let's not wash dirty laundry in public or in another house.* Di naglalaba at di marunong maglaba ang mga bedista.* ;)

Ok back to regular programming.*

yup - end of story. STOP!!!!! in the name of LOVE...hehehehe ;D

cub
02-15-2008, 10:34 PM
hahaha. i won't divulge it naman.. :)

danny
02-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Sayang ang dalawang taon. Mag-isip ka Soc.

danny
02-16-2008, 05:39 AM
cub appears to be more green than red.* *:)

We have no problem with that. We have high tolerance for dissenting opinions...during the off-season. :D

He's probably red_archer of bedista.com.* Kaya oks lang.

batangueño
02-21-2008, 03:11 AM
As posted by venom in one of the Oblation Nation threads:

Soc was among those who participated in the tryouts. Mark Lopez came late as he had to attend practice with the national team. Im pretty sure the Fern boys were quite excited to be working under their former coaches. Nash Racela was there last night and so was Francis Rodriguez. About 70-80 boys attended the tryouts.

Is Soc really going to Adamson? :o

bchoter
02-21-2008, 10:24 AM
soc didn't want to leave UP. however, his manager convinced him to and he was left with no choice. his manager is connected with adamson. being part of the rebuilding program of adamson basketball
I wonder who this guy is. Is he the same 'happy' benefactor of JR Reyes? It's like two histories repeating itself. 1) UP, again, gets to deal with a meddlesome manager and b) Adamson benefits from this manager.

Imbes na kung ano anong rules ang nilalabas ng UAAP taon-taon, why not make one that forbids players from having agents/managers? And while they're at it, sana may guidelines na rin sa recruitment and scholarships.

GHRanger
02-21-2008, 10:43 AM
^ Agreed. Benefactors, official or otherwise, included. I think this should go for all collegiate sports. IMHO, the only people who should negotiate or deal with the school are the players and parents (and legal guardians, where the parents are deceased or incapacitated only.)

batangueño
02-21-2008, 04:26 PM
I agree with Manong bchoter. If artista search television shows have a no agent/manager rule being strongly implemented (if I can remember it correctly, GMA's Starstruck and ABS-CBN's Star Circle Quest), how come we could not adopt the same in the UAAP? Managers usually impede the free will of both the player and his parents/guardian.

danny
02-24-2008, 03:36 AM
I agree with Manong bchoter. If artista search television shows have a no agent/manager rule being strongly implemented (if I can remember it correctly, GMA's Starstruck and ABS-CBN's Star Circle Quest), how come we could not adopt the same in the UAAP? Managers usually impede the free will of both the player and his parents/guardian.

Many times, they* also need "padrinos" to take care of financial and other matters that may be beyond the abilites of some parents/guardians.

It's a delicate balance between really helping and simply exploiting. Self-regulation and the professionalization of agents/managers should be preferred.

Patrons need not be seen as a pejorative term. Without the Medici,* there would have been no fresco in the Sistine Chapel. Probably not even an Italian Renaissance. Just my opinion.

coreytaylor
02-25-2008, 03:14 PM
ot: congats sa adamson womens volleyball team for winning game 1 of the finals yesterday againsts feu

Sam Miguel
02-25-2008, 04:20 PM
I do not know how smart it is to sit out a player of Soc Rivera's quality for two years. He will probably go down as the best UAAP and NCAA B Team player in history if and when this happens. Heck, he'll probably be a four-time Fr Martin MVP before he returns to UAAP action. ;D

I have a question: Can Soc Rivera play in the PBL while undergoing residency with Adamson without compromising his UAAP eligibility?

GHRanger
02-25-2008, 04:27 PM
If my memory serves me right, 3 years into college for UAAP teams, 2 years pag NCAA. So he may be able to play in the PBL the same time he finishes his residency in Adamson.

bchoter
02-25-2008, 10:28 PM
I think he'll lose his eligibility if he plays in the PBL before without playing 2 seasons in the UAAP (one in the UAAP).

AnthonyServinio
02-26-2008, 02:16 AM
I have a question: Can Soc Rivera play in the PBL while undergoing residency with Adamson without compromising his UAAP eligibility?

* * *IT HAS been sustained in several cases in the past that a UAAP player completing his residency requirements cannot participate in any outside tournament.* Off-season developmental tournaments like the Father Martin Cup and similar tournaments are not covered by this ruling.

* * *Among the "victims" of this ruling were La Salle forward Noli Locsin who was caught playing in a Christmas tournament in his native Bacolod City and UE forward Wowie Ybanez who also played in another Bacolod City tournament.* Both players caused their schools to forfeit the won games where they saw action.

Joescoundrel
03-12-2008, 09:53 AM
This may be the Soc thread but I think this is related: Is it true Soc's Baby Tams and UP teammate Dex Rosales is also trying out now with the Falcons? On a recent visit to the Adamson campus I swear I saw Rosales taking some shots in his gym clothes at the Adamson gym.

salsa caballero
03-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Sad. I never did get to be a hotshot baller like those kids, but if I were in their shoes, I'd look BEYOND my basketball playing days and stay put in Diliman. :)

batangueño
03-12-2008, 07:23 PM
This may be the Soc thread but I think this is related: Is it true Soc's Baby Tams and UP teammate Dex Rosales is also trying out now with the Falcons? On a recent visit to the Adamson campus I swear I saw Rosales taking some shots in his gym clothes at the Adamson gym.

Maybe the Adamson people here can confirm or deny that. However, if you have a photo of the kid in Adamson, maybe you can post it here. ;D

stat
03-12-2008, 07:54 PM
si onlooker ang makakasagot jan

batangueño
03-12-2008, 10:27 PM
si onlooker ang makakasagot jan

Oo nga. Let's just wait for THE ONLOOKER to clear things up. ;)

kaybee07
03-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Personally, it might be too early to confirm or deny anything about the team's composition. Adamson hasn't even made a formal appointment as to who the Falcons' head coach will be, what more can we expect with player recruitment? I don't know why the admin is dragging its heels so long with these matters...

RockLobster
03-13-2008, 03:47 PM
^I'm a UP fan/follower. I guess I can speak for the rest of the community when I say,"Yeah, tell me about it..." :)

gfy
03-14-2008, 10:05 AM
Talked to Fr. Max a few weeks ago and he told me that for the meantime Ruiz is the acting coach and they will make the announcement in June pa. Told him that's too late. Maybe Ruiz will be the coach if that's the case.

stat
03-14-2008, 04:13 PM
Talked to Fr. Max a few weeks ago and he told me that for the meantime Ruiz is the acting coach and they will make the announcement in June pa. Told him that's too late. Maybe Ruiz will be the coach if that's the case.

no. thats not it. inaantay pa matapos ang contract ni austria o inaantay pa na matanggal ang welcoat sa pba.

batangueño
03-14-2008, 09:33 PM
no. thats not it. inaantay pa matapos ang contract ni austria o inaantay pa na matanggal ang welcoat sa pba.

Welcoat, matatanggal sa PBA? Malabo. Yung pagkatanggal kay Leo Austria sa Welcoat, posible pa. ;D

It seems like Adamson is not the only school that is being linked to Soc Rivera nowadays. Lumalabas pa ngayon ang balita na nagpakita daw sa San Beda yung bata. :o

lekiboy
03-14-2008, 11:59 PM
double post

lekiboy
03-15-2008, 12:00 AM

Welcoat, matatanggal sa PBA? Malabo. Yung pagkatanggal kay Leo Austria sa Welcoat, posible pa. ;D

It seems like Adamson is not the only school that is being linked to Soc Rivera nowadays. Lumalabas pa ngayon ang balita na nagpakita daw sa San Beda yung bata. :o

nope- di siya nagpakita--- umuwi siya sa bahay niya... ;D

S-arap
M-aging
B-edista!

stat
03-15-2008, 09:13 AM

i mean na matanggal ang welcoat sa fiesta cup, tsaka plang ang annoucement ni austria sa adamson.

gfy
03-15-2008, 07:02 PM
^That may just be the case. I saw Coach Leo in one of the Adamson games in FMC.

professor
03-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Yep the rumor seemd to be true. Soc is in SB according to his manager. 3rd party info from the players.

kaybee07
03-17-2008, 02:20 PM

Coach Leo remained as team consultant for the Falcons after he signed with Welcoat at the end of the 69th UAAP season, it might be a bit premature to say that he will be coaching the team again after this coming PBA conference.

Although if Austria returns to his head coaching post with Adamson, I'm 100% sure he will be able to do a lot of good things for the team.

In any case I think the best thing to do is wait for the school admin to make its formal announcement. This goes too for the Soc Rivera issue. I believe any answers pertaining to player recruitment can only be made after there is a legitimate head coach for the Falcons.

Peace! :)

stat
03-17-2008, 04:33 PM

Coach Leo remained as team consultant for the Falcons after he signed with Welcoat at the end of the 69th UAAP season, it might be a bit premature to say that he will be coaching the team again after this coming PBA conference.

Although if Austria returns to his head coaching post with Adamson, I'm 100% sure he will be able to do a lot of good things for the team.

In any case I think the best thing to do is wait for the school admin to make its formal announcement. This goes too for the Soc Rivera issue. I believe any answers pertaining to player recruitment can only be made after there is a legitimate head coach for the Falcons.

Peace!* :)

admin can do that, bringing the pillars, tapos coach na bahala jan.

well mukhang si austria nga ang coach ng adamson dahil june pa i-aannounce or after welcoat will be eliminated.

wag lang sana mangyari ulit yung sa sitwasyon noong 2005 dapat si Louie alas ang magcocoach in the following year.

cub
03-17-2008, 06:18 PM

By Rey Joble

Austria, Welcoat part ways; Compton likely successor

LEO Austria is tired of losing. So is Welcoat.
Austria, the former rookie of the year in the PBA, who led Welcoat to a PBL championship, and the Dragons agreed to part ways on good terms in what was easily one of the most unexpected things to happen with the Fiesta Conference about to open in less than two weeks.
Alex Compton, one of the deputies of Austria, will most likely take over as coach to be assisted by Caloy Garcia.
A highly-placed source told Bandera sports that Welcoat management talked to Austria over the weekend. An unconfirmed report disclosed that the former Shell guard and mentor is being lured by the Adamson Falcons, the school which he handled in the UAAP prior to his coaching stint with Welcoat.
He is reportedly being recruited by Jing Ruiz, Austria’s protégé and the school’s current athletic director.
“May offer daw sa kanya,” said the source, who requested anonymity. “Totoo man yung balita o hindi, they have agreed to part ways in good terms kasi both of them want change. Susuweldo pa rin daw si coach until the end of the Fiesta Conference.”
Austria and Ruiz were together with the Shark Energy Drink that won PBL titles. In 2002, the former Shell point guard was hired by the Paintmasters as coach in lieu of Junel Baculi and piloted the team to the title. Some of his players include James Yap, Ren-Ren Ritualo, Romel Adducul and Marc Pingris.
If plans push through, Compton, who played for the Dragons as import, will become the eighth foreign coach in the PBA.
The American guard, who speaks fluent Filipino, also played and won championships in the MBA with the Manila Metrostars and the in the PBL.
Other foreign coach who handled a PBA team include Glen McDonald of Utex, Ron Jacobs of NCC/San Miguel, Norman Black of San Miguel, Talk N Text, Pop Cola and Sta. Lucia, Tim Cone of Alaska, Bill Bayno and Paul Woolpert of Talk N Text and John Moran of Shell

stat
03-17-2008, 06:53 PM

adamson

By Rey Joble

Austria, Welcoat part ways; Compton likely successor

LEO Austria is tired of losing. So is Welcoat.
Austria, the former rookie of the year in the PBA, who led Welcoat to a PBL championship, and the Dragons agreed to part ways on good terms in what was easily one of the most unexpected things to happen with the Fiesta Conference about to open in less than two weeks.
Alex Compton, one of the deputies of Austria, will most likely take over as coach to be assisted by Caloy Garcia.
A highly-placed source told Bandera sports that Welcoat management talked to Austria over the weekend. An unconfirmed report disclosed that the former Shell guard and mentor is being lured by the Adamson Falcons, the school which he handled in the UAAP prior to his coaching stint with Welcoat.
He is reportedly being recruited by Jing Ruiz, Austria’s protégé and the school’s current athletic director.
“May offer daw sa kanya,” said the source, who requested anonymity. “Totoo man yung balita o hindi, they have agreed to part ways in good terms kasi both of them want change. Susuweldo pa rin daw si coach until the end of the Fiesta Conference.”
Austria and Ruiz were together with the Shark Energy Drink that won PBL titles. In 2002, the former Shell point guard was hired by the Paintmasters as coach in lieu of Junel Baculi and piloted the team to the title. Some of his players include James Yap, Ren-Ren Ritualo, Romel Adducul and Marc Pingris.
If plans push through, Compton, who played for the Dragons as import, will become the eighth foreign coach in the PBA.
The American guard, who speaks fluent Filipino, also played and won championships in the MBA with the Manila Metrostars and the in the PBL.
Other foreign coach who handled a PBA team include Glen McDonald of Utex, Ron Jacobs of NCC/San Miguel, Norman Black of San Miguel, Talk N Text, Pop Cola and Sta. Lucia, Tim Cone of Alaska, Bill Bayno and Paul Woolpert of Talk N Text and John Moran of Shell

ho ho ho ho ho!!! austria=new recruits,quality players, new hope, chance of final four maybe

cub
03-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Leo should ask his son Bacon to play for his team.

J/K ;D

batangueño
03-18-2008, 12:53 AM
It seems like the "comeback" of Leo Austria in Adamson is almost a done deal. Will Soc Rivera and, if ever, fellow FEU-FERN alumnus and UP Maroon compatriot Dexter Rosales, get into Adamson under Coach Leo? :o

gfy
03-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Now I am hearing that Soc might be back at UP but not Dexter because of grades.

stonecold316
03-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Congrats Adamson of getting back Leo Austria as your coach.

Surely, gaganda ang Adamson basketball program with him back.

stonecold316

LION
03-24-2008, 12:26 AM
Now I am hearing that Soc might be back at UP but not Dexter because of grades.

I heard that it's the other way around. Soc will leave UP because of grades.

batangueño
03-24-2008, 10:05 AM
I heard that it's the other way around. Soc will leave UP because of grades.

Kung grades ang dahilan, wala tayong laban diyan.

gfy
03-24-2008, 12:19 PM
^^ That's what I heard from his manager Mr. Ed P. O baka may diperensya na ang pagdinig ko ;D.

batangueño
04-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Masyadong maraming tsismis ang naglalabasan. May nagsabi na baka hindi na daw umalis si Rivera sa UP. Ah! Ewan. ::)

The_Big_Cat
04-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Masyadong maraming tsismis ang naglalabasan. May nagsabi na baka hindi na daw umalis si Rivera sa UP. Ah! Ewan. ::)

Bumallik na lang siguro siya sa FEU. :D

batangueño
04-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Tuluyan na daw tinanggal sa line-up ng UP si Rivera. Ewan ko lang kung totoo.

stat
04-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Tuluyan na daw tinanggal sa line-up ng UP si Rivera. Ewan ko lang kung totoo.

onlooker nasa san marcelino na ba si soc?

batangueño
05-08-2008, 04:35 PM
It looks like Soc Rivera did not push through with his plan to move from Diliman to San Marcelino, at least, according to this inboundpass.com (http://www.inboundpass.com/2008/05/07/up%e2%80%99s-100th-birthday-aboys-invited-but-wheres-soc-rivera/) article by Christian Soler:

UP turns 100: Aboy’s invited, but where’s Soc Rivera?
by Christian Soler
Wednesday, 7 May 2008

x x x

Rivera confirmed that he isn’t currently with nor practicing with the Maroons. “Pagkatapos nung Season 70, sinabihan ako nung nag-aalaga sa akin mula bata pa ako na lumipat sa Adamson. Second sem yun. Sinunod ko siya, may utang na loob ako sa kanya dahil tinulungan niya ako [sa buhay]” (After Season 70, the person who took care of me since childhood asked me to transfer to Adamson. That was during the second semester. I followed her cause I owe her so much for helping me in life).

This potential move to San Marcelino triggered the current problem. “Hindi ako natuloy sa paglipat, nagkaroon ng problema. Naka-enrol ako sa UP noon, pero dahil sa [tangkang] paglipat, hindi na ako nakapasok sa [lahat ng] klase ko. Aasikasuhin ko grades ko sa UP. Kung maayos, gusto ko pa rin maglaro sa UP. UP is UP. Kahit umupo ako ng one year ok lang dahil hindi ako nakaka-practice at may maaagawan ako ng puwesto. Kung hindi maayos, honorable dismissal na lang” (I wasn’t able to transfer, a problem came up. I was enrolled in UP that time, but cause of my attempted transfer, I failed to attend all my classes. I’ll try to fix my problem in UP. If fixed, I’d still like to play for UP. UP is UP. It’s ok with me to sit out one year because I haven’t been practicing with the team, and someone will lose his slot as a result. If not, I’ll just seek an honorable dismissal).

x x x

LION
05-09-2008, 04:23 AM
If Soc Rivera says that he failed his subjects in UP because he went awol then I accept it at face value and give him the benefit of the doubt. Pero high school pa lang kasi talagang may record na siya na ganyan. Ayaw talagang mag aral.

The_Big_Cat
05-09-2008, 10:07 AM
^Baka matulad yan kay Jay-R Reyes at piliin na lang maglaro sa PBL at hindi na mag-aral.

batangueño
05-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Mga kabayan, like what Coach Aboy said, it's Soc's call if he really wanted to stay in UP or not. Dapat talagang ayusin niya ang academics niya kung gusto niyang makapaglaro ng college basketball whether sa UP (it's good to know, however, na gusto naman pala talaga niyang maglaro for UP) man yan o hindi. ;)

Joescoundrel
05-12-2008, 12:50 PM
He is not on the Nike and Fil-oil rosters of UP. On the other hand he isn't on the Nike and Fil-oil rosters of Adamson either YET.

So is Soc Rivera really transferring to Adamson after all?

The_Big_Cat
05-12-2008, 02:09 PM
^Soc Rivera might be taking summer classes due to his poor academics this past 2nd semester.
Rivera should decide carefully because his future is at stake.

bchoter
05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
According to the article Soc Rivera would rather stay in UP and that he will have to do something about his grades. I just hope his statemetns in that article has not burned bridges.

stonecold316
05-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Kung ako kay soc mag-aral naman siya kasi hindi naman siya tumuntong ng kolehiyo para lang maglaro ng basketball. Kung ayaw niya mag-aral, mag PBL na lang siya or sumali sa ibang mga liga para hindi sayang ang slot na bibigay sa kanya. Collegiate players should learn to accept the fact na dapat ng priority nila eh ang studies at hindi basketball lang.

stonecold316

batangueño
05-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Wala ibang pwedeng umayos ng buhay ni Soc kundi siya lang. Since he already declared that he wanted to stay in UP, then he must do good in his academics this coming school year if ever he wanted to go back to the team in Season 71. Mahigpit pa naman pagdating sa academic performance ng players si Coach Aboy Castro.

If ever Soc does well in his academics and gets back to the team, I expect him to have a reunion with fellow FEU-FERN compatriot Jonas Paguia in Season 72. Of course, the reunion will happen in UP. ;)

ankle breaker
09-17-2008, 09:52 PM
bakit sabi sa ibang thread na sa baste maglalaro si soc rivera?

crees
01-04-2009, 04:06 PM
i've seen soc rivera's entrance test results at baste when i was organizing files because i had my practicum at the guidance and testing center there during the first semester. so i think he's not going to adamson.

CM_Punk
01-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Soc Rivera is now with UST. He was enrolled in San Sebastian for the 1st semester, but transferred to UST for the 2nd semester this school year. So, Soc never did enroll in Adamson. He will be eligible to play again in the UAAP next year in 2010.

crees
01-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Soc Rivera is now with UST. He was enrolled in San Sebastian for the 1st semester, but transferred to UST for the 2nd semester this school year. So, Soc never did enroll in Adamson. He will be eligible to play again in the UAAP next year in 2010.

so ilang years na lang sya pwedeng maglaro?

bchoter
01-10-2009, 09:09 PM
He has up to 2013 to play a max of 4 seasons

Guardian Angel
01-29-2009, 07:17 PM

THis kid is wasting his career. He's a rolling stone.

kats613
02-03-2009, 01:18 PM
and to think UP had to help him out with that little "tuition fee" episode over at FERN-HS. i wonder what them guys who helped him out are thinking right now. ???

pablohoney
02-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Is it really his decision(s) e.g. to transfer to another school twice), or is someone deciding for Soc? ::)

bchoter
02-05-2009, 12:57 AM
His decision to move to UST was his and his alone (oh, with a little prodding frmo Dexter).

The_Big_Cat
02-05-2009, 10:41 AM
and to think UP had to help him out with that little "tuition fee" episode over at FERN-HS.* i wonder what them guys who helped him out are thinking right now. ???

According to Mark Molina, Soc Rivera never paid a single centavo in his stay with FEU-FERN.

bchoter
02-05-2009, 09:57 PM
and to think UP had to help him out with that little "tuition fee" episode over at FERN-HS.* i wonder what them guys who helped him out are thinking right now. ???

According to Mark Molina, Soc Rivera never paid a single centavo in his stay with FEU-FERN.
He wasn't supposed to coz he's a basketball scholar during his stay.

Sam Miguel
02-10-2009, 12:33 PM
A scholarship is a scholarship, and that means no kid should have to pay for anything when offered a scholarship. In Rivera's case it was an athletic scholarship. To tie the kid to paying for everything "spent on" him as a player is, in my opinion, out and out extortion compounded by grave threats and possible harassment of a student in violation of the magna carta for students.

Rivera has obviously taken some dubious advice, and if I were he I would stop listening to the idiots who act as his "advisers" since they obviously are more interested in their cut than in his welfare. I can only hope and pray that Rivera will finally find a home in UST, along with another FEU-FERN knucklehead in Jonas Paguia. They made quite a tandem as Baby Tams, hopefully they will rediscover that old magic as Tigers.

LION
02-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Regarding the scholarship, I believe that the athlete should not be required to reimburse the school if ever he decides to leave and play for another school.

But what about certain things that were given to him on the clear understanding that he will really play for the team like the following:

- Monthly allowance given by the boosters who adopted him, say 10 - 15k a month? Normally, a blue chip recruit would even fix the amount of the allowance which is acceptable to him. If he has been receiving a fixed allowance for, say, 8 months already and the athlete suddenly decides to go to another school, is he under a moral obligation, at the very least, to refund the allowances he demanded from his sponsors?

- Outside training which normally costs hundreds of thousands of pesos. What if, after the school spent a big amount of money to train an athlete and after that he decides to transfer to another school, what is the moral obligation, if any, of the athlete or the school which pirated him?

- Board and lodging, which is one of the normal demands of a blue chip recruit.

In the real world, blue chip athletes demand a lot of things. They have practically commoditized themselves. Mercenaries, so to speak. For these kinds of athletes, is it really bad to ask for a refund?
Or is it a caveat emptor?

Sam Miguel
02-12-2009, 10:39 AM
^^^ Lion, in the case of Soc Rivera, I would have to go with your last words - Caveat Emptor indeed.

Unless the boosters giving the allowance over and above that given by the school personally binds the athlete to a contract regarding staying with the school until his playing years are done I do not believe it is fair to tie up the athlete so to speak. If he agrees to and signs a contract with the booster/s then by all means sue his sorry arse if he violates the terms and conditions thereof, but if there is no contract, then he should be allowed to walk.