PDA

View Full Version : US NCAA 2008

bchoter
01-20-2008, 12:19 PM
As I'm writing this, the Gators and the Wildcats are going at it, UNC's winning streak was just snapped by Maryland, Kansas' own streak almost came to a halt, while UCLA just got the upset axe from OJ Mayo and USC. It's not a good day for the top seeds save for Memphis who had an easier time disposing their opponent and Duke survives Clemson.

Will the Gators surprise the so called pundits by 3-peating? They have a good but young team and I find it unlikely for this bunch to do what Noah, et. al. did 2 seasons back.

I'm still betting on the Bruins with the returning Aflalo being reinforced by super freshie Love. Memphis also looks good with a deep rotation same with the Tar Heels who has great support for Hansbrough. Georgetown shouldn't be discounted either with big man Hibbert maturing slowly (did you see his game winning 3-pointer a few days back?).

Place you bets guys. March Madness is a few weeks from now.

blueatheart
01-20-2008, 12:35 PM
UNC will win it all. their game today will serve as their wake-up call.

BLUE HORSE
01-20-2008, 12:53 PM
Bchoter, Aflalo is no longer playing for UCLA. He is now playing in the NBA. Problem for UCLA is that they have been hit by the injury bugaboo. Several of their players have been out including their starting pg and one of their designated bomber from the outside. The loss to USC was a big upset because UCLA was the prohibitive favorite in the game and USC has been having problems internally. But defeat UCLA they did. The game between the two Los Angeles universities is like ADMU and DLSU. Records means nothing, the winner of the home and away series gets city bragging rights. USC now has the upper hand this year but UCLA is still ahead in the Pac 10 standings.

bchoter
01-20-2008, 01:36 PM
^ Thanks for the correction. What I wanted to say that Kevin Love could easily plug in the hole left by Aflalo. What was I thinking.

On the Bruins, I think they're deep enough to surivie injuries. Westbrooke (not sure with the speeling :D), I think will be develop into their best one-on-one player from the perimeter that they've missed last season. While they're not particularly big a frontline of 6'10" Love, 6'9" Mabah a Moute is more than adequate. And they cane easily play small.

BTW, the Gators just won over Kentucky in OT. Maybe these guys can sneak on everybody and make it ala Noah et al :D

mighty_lion
01-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Memphis ako. Derrick Rose. ;D

john_paul_manahan
01-20-2008, 07:33 PM
two undefeated teams left.

Kansas and Memphis.

i still like the boys from UNC, though.

looks like the A-10 people are leading the mid-major march this time around and not the Missouri Valley.

Mateen Cleaves
01-20-2008, 09:31 PM
^The Atlantic 10 isn't a BCS conference because they don't have football teams. But in basketball, it's considered a major conference. Temple, St. Joe's, U Mass, Xavier, Dayton, etc. all have distinguished records in the NCAA. They may not get as many as the ACC or Big 10, but people generally expect the A-10 to get multiple NCAA bids every year.

gameface_one
02-05-2008, 02:54 PM
American college coaching legend Knight resigns

Agence France-Presse

DALLAS, Texas - American college coaching legend Bobby Knight resigned as head coach of Texas Tech men's team, the division one club announced Monday.

The all-time winningest coach in US men's basketball history, Knight recently picked up his 900th victory on January 16. His career record is 902-371.

Knight, 67, guided Texas Tech to a 12-8 record this season and his son, Patrick, will become coach, effective immediately.

"The General" won three national championships during his 29-year tenure at Indiana in 1976, 1981 and 1987 - and made five Final Four tournament appearances during his 42-year career.

Knight began his coaching career at Army, where he compiled a 102-50 record over six seasons.

john_paul_manahan
02-06-2008, 06:26 AM
guys. duke. carolina. feb.7 12nn. btv. yun. lang.

BLUE HORSE
02-06-2008, 06:41 AM
Teams ranked 2 and 3 in the latest coaches poll. It will be Duke's perimeter game against the inside strength of UNC. Duke must hit from the outside and stay out of foul trouble for their forwards or it will be a long night. UNC is also handicapped by Ty Lawson ankle injury. Hansbrough, Thompson and Green should eat Duke inside the paint. Slight advantage to UNC because the game will be played in the Dean Smith Center.

john_paul_manahan
02-06-2008, 06:06 PM
btw, this will b dicky v's first game back after his vocal rest.

you gotta love it, baby!

King_stag
02-23-2008, 03:35 AM
Texas a&m's DeAndre Jordan is a monster on both ends!

coreytaylor
02-23-2008, 06:01 PM

^ he's no match for Micheal "The Beast" Beasley of Kansas State University. a potential #1 pick in the 2008 nba draft* ;D

King_stag
02-23-2008, 06:08 PM

^ he's no match for Micheal "The Beast" Beasley of Kansas State University. a potential #1 pick in the 2008 nba draft* ;D

-Hmmm. Beastley Plays 3 and 4. Jordan is A center. Michael is a better one on one player and creates shots for himself. but deandre is oozing with potential (being compared to dwight howard with his physique and athleticism).

coreytaylor
02-23-2008, 06:28 PM
^ yep your right. how about UCLA's 6'9 center Kevin Love? pretty short of his position though ;D

King_stag
02-23-2008, 06:36 PM
^ yep your right. how about UCLA's 6'9 center Kevin Love? pretty short of his position though* ;D

He's a husle type player. Still has to hit the gym more, he looks soft. ;D hehe.. M more intrigue with hasheem thabeet of Uconn. A legit 7'3" but he runs the floor like a gazelle.

john_paul_manahan
02-25-2008, 02:47 AM
those who have ESPN must have watched a good game as Memphis finally lost a game this year to the Volunteers of Tennessee

coreytaylor
02-25-2008, 02:58 PM
those who have ESPN must have watched a good game as Memphis finally lost a game this year to the Volunteers of Tennessee

^kinapos sila down the stretch. oh well its better they lose now and learn from their mistakes rather they lose later in the playoffs and be eliminated.

coreytaylor
02-25-2008, 03:00 PM
^ yep your right. how about UCLA's 6'9 center Kevin Love? pretty short of his position though* ;D

He's a husle type player. Still has to hit the gym more, he looks soft.* ;D hehe.. M more intrigue with hasheem thabeet of Uconn. A legit 7'3" but he runs the floor like a gazelle.

^ i never seen this player play. hehe. 7'0 roy hibbert of georgetown pwd na din. ;D

john_paul_manahan
02-26-2008, 05:51 AM
check mo ESPN. they show some games.

speaking of which, due to cheating allegations, Indiana has pretty much "fired" their coach.

BLUE HORSE
02-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Pax on Indiana.* *>:(* They were desperate to sign a big time coach that they went after Sampson despite his rancid reputation.* He left Oklahoma knowing full well that the school was facing penalties from the NCAA for things he orchestrated during his regime.* Masyadong tele-babad sa telepono and he definitely circumvented the restrictions imposed on him by the NCAA.* Sinungaling pa.

Count on a number of players to be one and done after their freshman year and declare for the NBA.* If the team is in need of a guard then keep in mind Rose of Memphis and Gordon of Indiana.* Need a wing player and look no further than Mayo of USC, Walker and Beasley of Kansas State.* Power forward selection will be Love ans Hansbrough of UNC.* The Lopez brothers, Thabeet and Jordan are a definite possibilities at the post.

I love the game of Love but he will be to short to be a full time 5 in the NBA.* He'll slide the 4 and use his quick feet and his size against taller players.* He can shoot the 3 too but it is in rebounding that he will make his mark.* You should see his outlet pass to the streaking guards of UCLA.*

Among the centers, Brooks Lopez is more polished offensively than Jordan, Thabeet or Hibbert.* Brooks Lopez toyed with the idea of coming out last year and he had problems meeting the grade requirements of Stanford.* Thabeet needs the money and teams can use his length to deter would be slashers to the paint.

Hansbrought would be crazy not to turn pro although I understand he enjoys college life in UNC.* His family does not have financial needs like others but he is a sure bet to be a lottery pick.* People are projecting him to be the top pick in this years draft if he comes out.* Kevin McHale of Minnesota was scouting his game with Wake Forest yesterday.* Why temp fate and possible injury by playing an extra year of college basketball.* UNC coaches have done well for their star players.* If a UNC player is among the top 4 picks of the draft, they encourage the player to move on and go for the money.

Various basketball analysts have been harping for the past couple of weeks that Memphis was ripe for a loss. Why? Because they are hardly challenged in the CUSA and their foul shooting is attracious at best for a top 5 team. Any team that can press and shoot the 3's has a chance beating Memphis provided the game is close. The opposition can go on a hack a shaq to get more possession during the end game. They will waltz through the CUSA tournament and still be a number 1 seed for the South because other SEC teams are now itching to beat up on Tennessee.

Mateen Cleaves
02-29-2008, 02:13 PM
^No way that hansbrough is a top 4 pick. Hansbrough should have left after his first year. Now, he'll be lucky to be a lottery pick. Late 1st round is more probably. He's an "old" college player (He was a 21 year old freshman, IIRC). Not to mention a tweener. Not much to offer in terms of upside.

King_stag
02-29-2008, 03:17 PM
top ten maybe. two Combo guards locked-down to be picked early is derrick rose jerryd bayless. The consensus top pick is michael beasley. The other top prospects in no particular order is, DeAndre Jordan, Eric Gordon, Brook Lopez, and top foreign prospect Nicolas Batum.

salsa caballero
02-29-2008, 03:21 PM
^^ I have a different view on Hansbrough. I just love his blue collar style of play. Some folks liken him to a young Dave Cowens, and I must say, I see the similarity. Well...maybe Cowens had stronger rebounding skills, but Hansbrough is a fine example of a physical, not dirty, player. He should fit in just fine with the new look Celts in my opinion ;)

King_stag
02-29-2008, 03:48 PM
^^ I have a different view on Hansbrough. I just love his blue collar style of play. Some folks liken him to a young Dave Cowens, and I must say, I see the similarity. Well...maybe Cowens had stronger rebounding skills, but Hansbrough is a fine example of a physical, not dirty, player. He should fit in just fine with the new look Celts in my opinion ;)

Maybe a young mark madsen or udonis haslem. Raw and not that athletic. He compensates on his intensity and fiery attitude though.

BLUE HORSE
03-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Madsen and Haslem, you gotta be kidding me! Madsen was all hustle, no offensive moves even on the put backs. Hansbrough is not fluid but he works hard, very good in the paint and has a mid range game. I hate watching him because of his in your face angas without being dirty. Coaches love his productivity and his nose for the ball.

Dick Vitale and other analysts were talking about the underclassmen who may turn pro. No doubt that Beasley will be the first choice because he is a twinner, can play the 3-4, but more fluid and quicker than Hansbrough. Hansbrough for his part will probably end up with the John Wooden award this year because he has kept UNC in most games despite the loss of their pg, Lawson. Beasley has been putting up monster numbers but the team has not been as successful with the W. The first full senior on the team is the center of Georgetown.

Pareng Salsa, no way Hansbrough will slide all the way to the Celtics if he comes out. Celtics do not have the pieces to entice a trade up to the lottery pick not unless they are willing to give up Garnett.

King_stag
03-01-2008, 01:19 AM
Madsen and Haslem, you gotta be kidding me!* Madsen was all hustle, no offensive moves even on the put backs.* Hansbrough is not fluid but he works hard, very good in the paint and has a mid range game.* I hate watching him because of his in your face angas without being dirty.* Coaches love his productivity and his nose for the ball.

Dick Vitale and other analysts were talking about the underclassmen who may turn pro.* No doubt that Beasley will be the first choice because he is a twinner, can play the 3-4, but more fluid and quicker than Hansbrough.* Hansbrough for his part will probably end up with the John Wooden award this year because he has kept UNC in most games despite the loss of their pg, Lawson.* Beasley has been putting up monster numbers but the team has not been as successful with the W.* The first full senior on the team is the center of Georgetown.

Pareng Salsa, no way Hansbrough will slide all the way to the Celtics if he comes out.* Celtics do not have the pieces to entice a trade up to the lotte.ry pick not unless they are willing to give up Garnett.*

Why had u seen udonis play college hoops? pro ball is different.. The only thing i can agree with is that he has a good nose for the ball..

Udonis and tyler is both comfortable facing the basket. Both undersized Power Forwards. Tyler has yet to develop low post moves. He's always dancing with the wrong pair of shoes and gets rattled by bigger Forwards. He is much older than his batchmates.

BLUE HORSE
03-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Hansbrough is being asked by coach Williams to play the 5 majority of the time. But in the pro's he will definitely play the 4 and this is the reason that he is comfortable lfacing the basket. UNC has taller players than Hansbrough but they are either to slow or do not want to mix it up inside. Green for one prefers to play the 3 despite having the better jump and height than Hansbrough. Hansbrough is relentless but does not get into foul trouble like Beasley. UNC kept on winning despite the loss of Lawson while KState sputters when Beasley is out of the game or in foul trouble.

Hansbrough is old compared to other college stars because he decided to stay in college while his contemporaries or those behind him went hardship. If he had gone out last year, he would have been the third pick overall behind the 2 freshmen phenoms. This year, he will be at best a 2 or 3rd overall pick behind Beasley and possibly Hibbert depending which teams ends up with the lottery pick.

The other nice thing about Hansbrough is his relentless assault for rebounds and attacking the basket. He is the beneficiary of a lot of foul shots because the players guarding him end up fouling him. He is a good foul throw shooter and the opposition is made to pay everytime he is sent to the foul line.

CM_Punk
03-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Kansas avenged their loss to Kansas State, defeating them 88-74. It was my first time to watch Michael Beasley play, and he was a one-man wrecking crew, scoring 39 points and grabbing 11 rebounds; no other Kansas St. player even got to double digits. Too bad he got 2 quick fouls early in the game, or else the score would have been a lot closer. Beasley is definitely going #1 in the NBA draft this June.

As for Kansas, Brandon Rush led the Jayhawks with 21 points, and looks to be recovered from his summer injury. He'll be a nice shooting guard player in the NBA, and should enter his name in the draft this year as well.

BLUE HORSE
03-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Problem with KState is that Beasley is their number 1 scorer and rebounder. When he goes out and start shooting the 3's, there is nobody in KState who can corral the rebounds. Beasley was also forcing his shots despite consecutive air balls. The other options, Billy Martin also got into foul trouble and never got untracked.

If all the expected freshmen come out this year, Brandon Rush may find himself as a late lottery pick at best and a late first round pick at worse. Rose of Memphis, the guard at Indiana and Bayless of Arizona will probably be drafted before Rush. Courtney Lee of Western Kentucky has nice size as a 2 guard. Rush may have to consider staying in school depending who decides to come out. If the likes of the Lopez twins out of Stanford, Love and Collison of UCLA and a few of the UNC players come out then certain players will slide down the draft.

john_paul_manahan
03-04-2008, 03:20 AM
a solid playoff team would surely like the services of courtney in the late 1st round, ala stuckey.

Mateen Cleaves
03-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Hansbrough is old compared to other college stars because he decided to stay in college while his contemporaries or those behind him went hardship. If he had gone out last year, he would have been the third pick overall behind the 2 freshmen phenoms. This year, he will be at best a 2 or 3rd overall pick behind Beasley and possibly Hibbert depending which teams ends up with the lottery pick.

Hansbrough is old because he was born ahead of everybody else (1985). At 22, he is already two years older than the Pistons' 3-year veteran Amir Johnson. In draft lingo, Hansbrough doesn't appear to have much upside to offer. 2006 was his best chance to be a lottery pick.

BLUE HORSE
03-04-2008, 06:34 AM
I was mildly surprise that Hansbrough came back for his junior year.* He is definitely enjoying college life and wants to bring another NCAA championship to UNC.* If they win the championship this year, expect an exodus of players like Green, Lawson and Hansbrough.* I have no doubt he will be a lottery pick when he decides to come out. Also, his life is quite different from those who declare hardship.*

OT:* Have you seen a picture of his mother?* ESPN showed her cheering for UNC,* she is a former state beauty queen while the dad is a very very tall man.

CM_Punk
03-04-2008, 08:42 AM
If all the expected freshmen come out this year, Brandon Rush may find himself as a late lottery pick at best and a late first round pick at worse. Rose of Memphis, the guard at Indiana and Bayless of Arizona will probably be drafted before Rush. Courtney Lee of Western Kentucky has nice size as a 2 guard. Rush may have to consider staying in school depending who decides to come out. If the likes of the Lopez twins out of Stanford, Love and Collison of UCLA and a few of the UNC players come out then certain players will slide down the draft.

Rush was already going to enter the NBA draft last year with Julian Wright, until he suffered an ACL knee injury, making him stay with Kansas. I doubt he would risk staying another year in college, when he might get injured again, and lose out on the guaranteed contract of the 1st round. Most mocks have Rush around middle to late 1st round, and that should be good enough for him to declare for the NBA draft.

mighty_lion
03-04-2008, 09:00 AM
a solid playoff team would surely like the services of courtney in the late 1st round, ala stuckey.

Wag mong purihin si Courtney Lee, magagalit sayo si Bill Belasco. ;D
Everytime tuloy nadadatnan ko ang WKU sa Btv at nakikita ko si Courtney Lee naalala ko palagi yong article ni Bill Belasco na buwakaw si Courtney Lee.

CM_Punk
03-04-2008, 09:08 AM
M more intrigue with hasheem thabeet of Uconn. A legit 7'3" but he runs the floor like a gazelle.

Looks like the young UConn Huskies have finally matured, and are going back to the NCAA tournament this season, led by their point guard AJ Price, Jeff Adrien, and the big man Thabeet. They currently have a 23-6 record, good for 3rd in the Big East.

john_paul_manahan
03-05-2008, 04:22 AM
he is the best player out there in the Sun Belt.

i just hope they can find a way to beat Southern Alabama.

did you see the 58pt pasting the Jayhawks gave Texas Tech?

coreytaylor
03-05-2008, 03:24 PM
K. Singler of Duke is also a possible 1st round pick. His a very deadly shooter.

CM_Punk
03-05-2008, 10:47 PM
I can't see Singler leaving Duke this early. He'll probably stay with them a few more years before considering entering the NBA draft. The few recent players who have left after only 1-2 years with Duke the past couple of years were Luol Deng (1 year) and Josh McRoberts (2 years).

BLUE HORSE
03-06-2008, 08:13 AM
Singler will not leave Duke this year. Duke will be loaded next year but they still have the problem of not having enough big men to play the inside game. They signed 2 nice wing men who can shoot from the outside.

Hansbrough received the nod from SI for their player of the year and I expect ESPN to do the same. I have no problem with the starting front court of SI, Hansbrough, Beasley and Love. It is the backcourt selection that bothers me. Augustine and Douglas Roberts are good but so are the guards in the second and third team. Rose of Memphis did not even merit a mention in the first fifteen selection.

The consolation for Michael Beasley will be on draft day for the NBA. Hibbert, Jordan, Thompson or Thabeet will not be enough to deny him the first overall pick in this years NBA draft.

LION
03-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Before their game against the Kansay Jayhawks last weekend, Beasley boasted that they will beat the Jayhawks anywhere, even in their (Jayhawks) homecourt, and even in Africa. He ended up eating his words. His team was blown away by the Jawhawks.

john_paul_manahan
03-06-2008, 08:30 AM
conference tourneys have already started.

i am tracking...

Player of the Year is pretty much Psycho T vs Beast-ly

coreytaylor
03-06-2008, 01:23 PM
I can't see Singler leaving Duke this early. He'll probably stay with them a few more years before considering entering the NBA draft. The few recent players who have left after only 1-2 years with Duke the past couple of years were Luol Deng (1 year) and Josh McRoberts (2 years).

thats great if he's still going to play for duke for another year. hhmm, i think he is going to be in the top5 if he decides to enter the nba draft 2009.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-17-2008, 09:28 AM
The brackets are already out guys. Who are your picks to reach the Final Four? Here's mine:

East: North Carolina (this one actually is a tough call since Tenn can also qualify, they're a good team as well capable of winning the national championship)
Midwest: Georgetown
South: Memphis
West: UCLA

Bracket can be seen on this link:
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/ncaa/08mens_bracket.pdf

Kid Cubao
03-17-2008, 10:09 AM
^^ pre, mukhang mapupurnada ang aking visita iglesia ngayong holy week dahil eksaktong byernes santo dito sa atin magsisimula ang bakbakan sa NCAA ;D

anyway, here's my picks:

east: north carolina
midwest: kansas
south: stanford
west: dito ako medyo nahirapan. i'm leaning toward UCLA, pero masyadong beterano ang duke, and coach K just might have the edge in postseason experience over ben howland. either UCLA or duke.

so the final 4 pairing will be north carolina vs UCLA/duke, and kansas vs stanford.

kansas vs. stanford=kansas

at this point, it'll be the end of the line for north carolina, whichever team they face--UCLA or duke. may laglag ang mga bata ni roy williams sa mga koponang ito.

either way, kung kansas vs UCLA/duke, i'd go for kansas.

pirles porkast: KANSAS JAYHAWKS as 2008 NCAA champs.

bigfreeze_bibby
03-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Ako, I have adjusted our Visita Iglesia ng Thursday so that I can watch ng Friday hehehe. My mom asked why, sinagot ko ng may homework akong kailangang gawin para sa trabaho hehe.

Tingin ko beterano na rin si Howland if ever mag match up sila ni coach K. Lineup wise, tingin ko lamang ang UCLA that's why I picked them in the West. Stanford is also my darkhorse sa South. Pag nalaglag Memphis, sana andun ang Stanford to step up.

Maganda din panoorin yung game ng USC-Kansas State which will be a match up between two freshmen making an impact in the collegiate circles right now: Beasely and Mayo. Kahit ito lang mapanood ko sa Friday, okay na ako hehe. Kansas or Georgetown can rule out the Midwest bracket.

BLUE HORSE
03-17-2008, 11:48 AM
BFB,

I like your choice of UCLA out West. I just don't think Duke can match their size and athleticism specially if both Cameroonian players can play. Duke lives and dies with the 3 point shot. They lost to Clemson because the 3 pointers were not falling for them and Clemson used their size and athleticism.

The USC-KState will be a nice match-up of one and done freshmen. Beasley and Bill Walker against OJ Mayo and all may be playing in the NBA next season. Did you know that all three almost played together at KState. Mayo and Walker were teammates in Cincinnati and talked of being a package deal in college. Mayo to the surprise of many headed for the limelights of LA and USC. The irony is that the coach who would have had alll three bailed out of KState and is coaching West Virginia, his alma mater.

In the end, UCLA or UNC is my choice as this years champions. Both teams are deep and have the necessary ingredients to go all the way. Maybe just maybe, the third time is the charm for Howland and UCLA.

JonarSabilano
03-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Anyone up for brackets?

bigfreeze_bibby
03-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Anyone up for brackets?

Ano ibig mong sabihin dito pare? Parang gagawa ng sariling predictions on each brackets?

BH, ang fearless forecast ko is that UNC will be champions. Saka na ko mag-predict ulit pagdating ng elite eight hehe.

mighty_lion
03-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Can you guys provide internet links where I can watch games live in the internet. Kung meron lang. Thanks.

JonarSabilano
03-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Anyone up for brackets?

Ano ibig mong sabihin dito pare?* Parang gagawa ng sariling predictions on each brackets?

Yep, parang ganun nga. Merong ganun sa ESPN at Yahoo.

yungha
03-17-2008, 01:30 PM
my pick - after 2 consecutive final four heartbreaks, UCLA will finally its 12th(?) national championship this year.

final 4 mvp - collison of UCLA

erichubert
03-17-2008, 05:25 PM
My picks would be Wisconsin, Texas, UCLA, Tennessee. I think its going to be Tennessee vs Wisconsin, UCLA vs Texas, I see Texas and Wisconsin in the final and Texas winning it all.

CM_Punk
03-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Of the #1 seeds, I'm rooting for UNC to win the NCAA tournament. Also a fan of the Big East, so I'm hoping one of those teams from that conference can reach the Final Four as well.

go_flames_go
03-18-2008, 02:19 AM
Can you guys provide internet links where I can watch games live in the internet. Kung meron lang. Thanks.

This is a good site. Tried it last year and was relatively happy with their coverage. Just sign up for a free account.

http://www.ncaasports.com/mmod

john_paul_manahan
03-18-2008, 05:42 AM
yahoo has a bracket set-up. ditto facebook.

anyway:

UNC, G-town, UCLA, Memphis.

Bruins over Tar Heels for the title. it's all about love. Kevin Love.

Mateen Cleaves
03-18-2008, 06:08 AM
I didn't pick a 5-12 underdog, but I do have Davidson and St. Mary's as 10-7 upset specials in the first round. In the second round, I have two #2 seeds falling -- Bob Huggins over Coach K, and Butler over the Vols.

I always have a couple of mid-majors to root for. This year, it's Butler to the Elite Eight, and Drake to the Round of 16.

As for the final cast: UNC, Georgetown, UCLA plus Michigan State! MSU to win it all, of course. Ha ha. ;D

john_paul_manahan
03-19-2008, 05:40 AM
btw, the NIT starts today. In addition the new CBI (college basketball invitational) starts. i think this will be on FOX (this might be on Balls given that BTV has control over the tourney). ESPN naman shows some NIT games (ata)

the play-in game starts tonight. NEC champs Mount St. Mary's will face SWAC Champs Coppin State.

Sam Miguel
03-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Here's some interesting reading. I always thought all the shit happening in the world can somehow be traced back to the Americans, har-har-har!

Hypocrisy 101

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports Mar 19, 12:08 am EDT

Down in Florida, Dr. Richard Lapchick rails against the pathetic graduation rates for players who compete in the NCAA tournament – just over 50 percent for African Americans, according to his latest study. It’s far worse when you consider the players on just the good teams.

Up in Ann Arbor, Mich., a stinging four-day newspaper investigation shows that one of college sports supposed academic bastions, Michigan football, might turn out decent graduation numbers but might be doing it by institutionally steering players to easy majors and sympathetic professors. You might get a diploma, but do you get an education?

Out in Omaha, Neb., the NCAA prepares for the first round of its billion dollar men’s basketball tournament with a marquee prime time game featuring two freshmen – Southern California’s O.J. Mayo and Kansas State’s Michael Beasley – who are unlikely to finish the semester, let alone their degrees any time soon.

They are only serving out their college purgatory because back in New York, NBA commissioner David Stern says they have to. If Stern has his way, it’ll soon be two-year college tours for all future phenoms. College administrators will celebrate; keeping the money train going is well worth playing the fool.

Talk about your March Madness – one part playing basketball, one part playing charades.

It isn’t so much that all of the above is happening, it is that over the next three weeks so many people will either pretend it isn’t or ignore that it is. It’s that universities will make small fortunes while bastardizing everything they pay lip service to being about.

Obviously few people care. Most fans just want to watch the action. The diehards convince themselves their school is different. The administrators just want to keep the alums happy. The coaches are rich. The television networks richer.

And too few of the players even grasp the golden educational opportunity handed to them.

All of this would be fine if it weren’t for the endless claims to the contrary, the syrupy coverage of the purity of college sports and the forever apologists when the truth occasionally is exposed.

Remember the feel-good story of the 2002 national champion Maryland Terrapins? Turns out, according to NCAA and federal government stats, none of the starters or top reserves graduated. None. In fact, no recruit brought in from 1997-2000 has graduated. The Terps current graduation rate is zero.

Maryland’s counterargument is some of those guys are playing pro ball, so what does it matter? Indeed, it doesn’t matter. A college degree isn’t everything. If none of the particulars care, why should we?

But “what does it matter” wasn’t what the NCAA was selling the public six years ago. You didn’t hear anyone admit that Maryland won the college title with a bunch of kids unlikely to graduate from college.

So will you believe in the champion this time? Lapchick’s most recent report noted that of the four No. 1 seeds, only North Carolina graduates more than even half its players, which doesn’t exactly reassure you that history won’t repeat itself.

In Maryland’s defense, maybe a zero graduation rate is more respectable and honest than a high one? Michigan football has been held up for decades as an example of integrity with a graduation rate of about 70 percent.

But how much of that was the result of the institutional steering of athletes into easy majors?

Over the past seven months the Ann Arbor News did what too few media outlets will – especially in college towns where publishers and editors are so often compromised by county club relationships. When former Michigan quarterback and current Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh made critical statements about the Wolverines academics rather than just repeat the party line, they took a long, hard look.

The result has been fascinating not because Michigan has been exposed as the worst cheaters in the world. It hasn’t. Rather, the stories have cut open the underbelly of college athletics and showed how things really get done in major college sports.

In this case it means the vast majority of football players appear to be pushed into majoring in “general studies.” That includes 16 of 17 scholarship players in the recent Chad Henne/Mike Hart class.

Michigan athletes make up only three percent of undergraduate students but 49 percent of general studies majors. Athletes used to overwhelm the kinesiology department until 2003, when fed up kinesiology professors decided to strengthen the course work. Immediately the athletes shifted, en masse, to general studies, which the News shows an athlete can easily maintain eligibility through potentially cake courses.

You have to be a myopic Wolverine fan to not acknowledge the truth – this can’t all be a coincidence. It isn’t cause for disbanding the team, but it certainly isn’t what the program claimed to be. That the same thing is happening everywhere (this is quite similar to a recent New York Times exposé of Auburn) is certainly a noteworthy, but not really much of an excuse.

If the Michigan players don’t take advantage of a world-class education then that’s their own fault. But if it’s the academic advisors of the football program betraying them by systematically pushing empty eligibility, then the shame is on U of M too.

But that’s college athletics, one big circle of situational ethics.

So now Thursday we get Mayo and Beasley, their last stop before the NBA draft, the two of them stuck in this netherworld of pretending to really care about attending college.

This isn’t to blame them. They’re just playing the part the system says they must. While we’re sure each found something positive during their brief time on campus, neither would be here if they didn’t have to be.

They are in this tournament because Stern wants the NCAA to market his would-be rookies with saccharine stories from academia, the NCAA wants to make big money off of them regardless of the hypocrisy and CBS is more than willing to placate both parties while selling ads to Chevy.

All the adults will gladly play charades so we can watch these kids play ball.

Dan Wetzel is the co-author of Glory Road, the story of coach Don Haskins and the history-making 1966 Texas Western Miners.

CM_Punk
03-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Saw on a BTV commercial that they will be showing the Kansas St. vs. USC game at 11 AM today. Beasley and Walker vs. Mayo.

cub
03-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Duke almost lost to the no.15 seed Belmont, 71-70. thanks to the heroics of Gerald Henderson who made the winning basket with 11ticks left in the game.

in the battle of the one-and-done prolific rookies, Michael Beasley eliminated OJ Mayo's team. final score was 80-67.

aircanda
03-21-2008, 09:27 PM
napanood ko yung game between USC and Kansas St.. Beasley is very impressive and very scary.. parang Willie Wilson ang katawan na mas malaki.. he'll be a great addition to any nba team..medyo mabagal nga lang.. but still, im very impressed on the way he moves and his power..

Jaco D
03-22-2008, 06:01 AM
That WKU-Drake game was something else.

gameface_one
03-22-2008, 09:14 AM
Belmont pushes Duke to the brink
mb.com.ph

WASHINGTON (Reuters) — Three-times national champion Duke survived a heroic performance by unheralded and outmanned Belmont to advance to the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Thursday.

A length-of-the-floor driving lay-up by Duke’s Gerald Henderson with 11.9 seconds left provided the winning margin and allowed the West Region’s second seed to escape 71-70.

"We played against a team that played an amazing game," Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski told reporters. "You won’t hear any of our players say that we overlooked them — there’s no way."

"Watching them on tape they looked really good. Watching them in person they’re even better."

Belmont’s valiant effort provided a boost for the 64-team single-elimination tournament, known as "March Madness" for its dramatic flare and potential for giant-killing performances.

Until Duke was pushed to the brink, the tournament’s first day was decidedly a ho-hum affair, the top seeds convincingly rolling into the second round.

Midwest region number one Kansas crushed Portland State 85-61 in Omaha, while the West’s top seed UCLA sent Mississippi Valley State packing 70-29 in Anaheim.

Big 12 champion Kansas, seeking its first title in two decades, led 49-26 at intermission and was never threatened.

"I thought we played very well the majority of the first half, shot the ball great and got off to a pretty good start," said Kansas Coach Bill Self. "That was good because I thought we’d have some first-game jitters."

Other opening-day winners included Stanford, Xavier, Marquette, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Pittsburgh, Purdue and Nevada-Las Vegas.

CM_Punk
03-22-2008, 11:45 AM
UConn Huskies lost to San Diego in the NCAA tournament. Interesting to watch out for if their NBA prospects- Thabeet, Price, etc. declare for the draft after their upset 1st round loss , or stay together for another run next year.

cub
03-22-2008, 11:52 AM
another one-and-done, first pick prospect got eliminated early. Eric Gordon's Hoosiers lost to Arkansas, 86-72.

Sam Miguel
03-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Something for all true hardcore hoops fans...

Jayhawks bond through tragedy

By Jason King, Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 53 minutes ago

OMAHA, Neb. – What would you do if your uncle was beaten to death with a hammer?

Would you lie in bed all afternoon, despondent and depressed? Or would you wipe away your tears and go to history class like Kansas’ Darnell Jackson?

What if someone called with news that your baby son was dead? Would you drop out of school and move back home? Or would you leave after the funeral like Sherron Collins and drive eight hours to lift weights and play pickup basketball?

What if you were Rodrick Stewart, whose adopted brother was shot and killed while waiting at a traffic light? Or Sasha Kaun, whose father was likely murdered in Russia? Would basketball really seem all that important?

“We’re probably the No. 1 team in the country when it comes to dealing with death and tragedy,” Stewart said. “Any time one of us starts feeling down, we know we can step into this locker room and find strength.”

Their roster is stocked with McDonald’s All-Americans and future NBA draft picks. Still, as successful as they’ve been on the court, the most impressive thing about the Kansas Jayhawks is how they’ve persevered off of it.

“I heard a quote the other day that said, ‘Ten percent of life is what happens to you and 90 percent is how you deal with it,’ ” Kansas guard Russell Robinson said. “We’ve played the hands we were dealt as best as we could.”

Dead parents. Murdered friends and relatives. Gang-infested neighborhoods. Absentee fathers. Almost every key member of Kansas’ team has achieved college fame by overcoming obstacles that would’ve forced a weaker person to wilt.

The more you hear their stories, the tougher it is not to root for the Jayhawks in the NCAA tournament, where they will face UNLV in a second-round game Saturday at the Qwest Center. Relating to these players is easy because, in many ways, they’re just like us.

Athlete or not, everyone faces adversity at some point. Eventually each of us will deal with hurt, anger and grief. But while some are forced to do it alone, the Jayhawks persevered together. It’s a team full of players that, in tough situations, have made all the right choices for all the right reasons.

Now, more than ever, it’s paying dividends on the court.

“Everything that’s happened has brought us closer together,” forward Darnell Jackson said. “We’ve got a tight circle, a tight family. You see some teams out there arguing with each other on the court. We don’t do that. When we’re out there you can see how much we enjoy playing together.”

No Kansas player has experienced more offcourt trauma than Jackson, a senior who’s averaging a career-high 11.6 points.

In the eighth grade Jackson’s absentee father, James Howard, was shot and killed by Oklahoma City police after he attacked a jogger. As a high school senior, Jackson arrived at the scene moments after a friend’s murder. A few years ago his close friend, Glen Davis, died after being shot in the head by gang members.

Jackson’s uncle was murdered, too, and his grandfather died in 2006. Just last month, his cousin died in a shooting. The worst tragedy, though, occurred in the summer of 2005, when a car carrying Jackson’s mother, Shawn, and grandmother, Yvonne, was struck by a drunk driver in Las Vegas. Yvonne Jackson died a week later from the injuries she sustained in the collision.

“I don’t know of anyone,” coach Bill Self said, “that’s had to deal with more at such a young age than Darnell.”

At times, the tragedies seemed to be taking their toll on Jackson. Last January he drove home to Midwest City, Okla., with no plans to return to Kansas. Self caught a flight to meet Jackson and convinced him to return.

This season Jackson broke down crying as he left the court at halftime of a game, but a hug from teammate Mario Chalmers assured him that he was in the right place.

“There are a lot of people out there that think we get the red-carpet treatment because we play basketball,” Jackson said. “I wish those people could trade places with us so they could see how hard it is to be a college athlete and a student at the same time.

“We go through so much. You’re away from home and so much stuff is happening, but you can’t do anything about it. You can’t go back home. You have to stay.”

Collins may have felt like giving up after his son, Sherron Jr., died a few days after his birth in the summer of 2006. But then he remembered the rigorous trek he’d made to get to Kansas in the first place.

Much of Collins’ childhood was spent in the Lathrop Homes housing project in Chicago, where fights, prostitution and drug deals were commonplace in the courtyard. Collins’ father had gang ties and was in jail for drug-related incidents for most of his childhood.

As a teenager Sherron’s best friend, Cedrick, was shot in the head and killed seconds after leaving Sherron’s home. Earlier this month, Crane High School – Collins’ alma mater – made national news when gang members shot and killed a student and hospitalized another by beating him with a golf club in broad daylight near the front steps of the campus.

Because he had basketball, Collins managed to stay clear of such riff raff and earn his diploma. When he experiences tough times at Kansas, he knows his teammates are there to help him cope.

“Sometimes we all need somebody,” Collins said. “I think overall we’ve got a good core of guys that really cares about each other. We’re like brothers on this team. When someone is down we try our best to pick them up.”

That kind of gesture was certainly needed when Stewart’s adopted brother, Allen, was shot as he sat alone in his car at a traffic light last month in Seattle. The murder happened the same week that Jackson’s cousin was shot and killed.

“We had two murders this week within the immediate family,” Self said at the time. “I’ve never coached that before. I don’t know the coaching manual on that.”

There are other stories, too.

Kaun’s father, Oleg, was found dead in a parking garage when Kaun was 13. The cause of his passing remains a mystery, although Kaun’s family believes it was related to Oleg’s job as a computer programmer for one of Russia’s biggest banks.

Brandon Rush grew up without guidance from a father figure and Russell Robinson was reared in the hardscrabble streets of Brooklyn.

Even the ancillary members of Kansas’ program have encountered tragic times in recent weeks. Mary Hudy, the mother of Jayhawks strength coach Andrea Hudy, lost her battle with cancer the morning before the team’s regular-season finale against Texas A&M.

Before they took the court that day, the players sent Hudy a text message.

“She wrote back and told us to go win another ring,” Collins said.

A few hours later Kansas returned to the locker room as Big 12 champions for the fourth consecutive year. Now they’re five victories away from accomplishing something even more special.

Kansas (31-3) has not won a national championship since 1988.

“This would be something positive we could hang our hats on,” Robinson said. “After all the negative things we’ve been through, we’ve got an opportunity now to do something great.”

In some ways Robinson is missing the point.

The Jayhawks already have.

CM_Punk
03-23-2008, 09:42 AM
And goodbye to Duke this year, as they lose early in the tournament again. All those top high school recruits, but they have been coming up empty the past few years.

john_paul_manahan
03-23-2008, 02:26 PM
not an upset for me. i had huggins' boys winning over the dookies.

bob knight has called brazelton's pass to rogers one of the best in NCAA tournament history.

UCLA, Bo's Badgers, KU, Stanford, Xavier, Wazzu, and the Spartans advance to Sweet 16.

gameface_one
03-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Duke bows out, UCLA survives
mb.com.ph

WASHINGTON (Reuters) — On the same day the NCAA Tournament lost one of its four number two seeds, a number one barely escaped to advance to next weekend’s Sweet 16.

Second-seeded Duke’s quest for a fourth national championship ended abruptly in the second round when West Virginia used an astonishing rally to shock the Blue Devils 73-67 in the West Region on Saturday.

Later, UCLA, the top seed in the West, pulled out a 53-49 decision over number nine Texas A&M in Anaheim, Calif.

The Bruins were tied 49-49 when Darren Collison hit a runner with 9.5 seconds left and UCLA denied Texas A&M a shot on the final possession. Russell Westbrook added a dunk as time expired.

‘’We made big plays by big-time players down the stretch,’’ UCLA coach Ben Howland told the television audience. ‘’The thing I’m most proud of, and we’ve had a lot of games like this, is that we never quit, never gave up. We were fortunate to win and I’m glad we did.’’

Collison finished with 21 points.

Duke (28-6) held a 34-29 lead at the intermission but wilted in the second half when number seven West Virginia outshot, outrebounded and outhustled the Blue Devils.

‘’No matter how well or how hard you’re playing, you’ve got to put the ball in the basket, and we didn’t do that today,’’ said Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, coach of the US Olympic team.

After hitting just 36 percent of their shots in the opening half, seventh-seeded West Virginia connected on 12 of 26 (46 percent) thereafter while outrebounding the Blue Devils 25-11.

Sophomore guard Joe Mazzulla was the catalyst for West Virginia, scoring 13 points while adding 11 rebounds and eight assists.

‘’Duke does as good a job of putting pressure on the ball as anybody,’’ said Mountaineers coach Bob Huggins, who has taken his team to the round of 16 in his first season on the job.

‘’They try to take you out of what you want to run.

‘’Joe’s our best guy at just straight lining, driving the ball to the goal.’’

Duke held a 37-29 advantage with 17 minutes left in the game but the suddenly hot-shooting Mountaineers went on an 18-3 run over the next six minutes to take a 47-40 lead.

coreytaylor
03-24-2008, 10:37 AM
boom! stephen curry does it again! davidson def. georgetown 74-70.

yungha
03-24-2008, 04:09 PM
And goodbye to Duke this year, as they lose early in the tournament again. All those top high school recruits, but they have been coming up empty the past few years.

been a dookie since they upset UNLV in 91 but yes they've been coming up short lately. coach K periodically recruits monster batches like the brand-burgess-avery-battier-sanders and dunleavy-boozer-williams classes. battier would team up with dunleavy, boozer, williams and another blue chip recruit duhon to lead duke the 2001 national championship.

then came succeeding supposedly similar monster batches that didn't quite pan out-
- 2002 randolph-williams-redick-dockery-melchioni-thompson, heralded as #1 recruiting class. randolph was a bust, thompson transferred and dockery and melchioni became role players at best.
- 2005 mcroberts-paulus-boykin-boateng-pocius. mcroberts was a bust considering he was national high school player of the year while pocius is oft injured. boykin and boateng transferred. paulus remains steady but underwhelming.
- 2006 henderson-zoubek-thomas-scheyer. lance thomas, who was the object of a fierce tug-of-war between duke and rutgers, has been a bust. zoubek was a project from day 1 but still looks clumsy. scheyer will continue to be a key rotation player. henderson is a star-in-the-making, one of the few recruits to live up to his billing.
- 2007 singler-smith-king. coach K called it right and singler is a stud. smith and king had moments of brilliance.

perhaps the biggest blow however came in the offseason prior to the 2004-2005 season. duke had just narrowly lost to eventual champ UConn in the 2004 Final Four. with a few whistles, the game could've gone either way. duke looked forward to reloading and gunning for another championship. but luol deng had such a spectacular freshman year that he bolted for the NBA. prized recruit 6-7 point guard shaun livingston, who had earlier given his word that he'll play college ball, did so well in NBA pre-draft camps that he applied for the draft. if deng and livingston had stayed in 04-05, duke would have fielded a lineup of deng, livingston, redick, williams, randolph, dockery, nelson and ewing.

four years since the deng-livingston debacle, it seems coach K and the duke program have yet to fully recover.

CM_Punk
03-24-2008, 04:24 PM
So, here's the sweet 16 teams still left in the tournament:

North Carolina vs. Washington St., Louisville vs. Tennessee, Kansas vs. Villanova, Wisconsin vs. Davidson, Memphis vs. Michigan St., Stanford vs. Texas, UCLA vs. Western Kentucky, Xavier vs. West Virginia.

Should be an exciting next round for NCAA basketball later this week ;)

coreytaylor
03-25-2008, 09:37 AM
So, here's the sweet 16 teams still left in the tournament:

North Carolina vs. Washington St., Louisville vs. Tennessee, Kansas vs. Villanova, Wisconsin vs. Davidson, Memphis vs. Michigan St., Stanford vs. Texas, UCLA vs. Western Kentucky, Xavier vs. West Virginia.

Should be an exciting next round for NCAA basketball later this week ;)

I think North Carolina and UCLA will meet in the championship game. Of all the teams, Davidson is the wildcard. Sana manalo rin ang Xavier, a jesuit school.

Mateen Cleaves
03-26-2008, 07:09 AM
Here's an interesting blog about John Calipari's offensive scheme at Memphis: Study Session: The Dribble-Drive Motion Offense (http://spartansweblog.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/study-session-the-dribble-drive-motion-offense/)

The blog also has a link to Grant Wahl's intro piece on the Dribble Drive Motion (DDM) from Sports Illustrated.

cub
03-26-2008, 12:19 PM
was browsing NCAAB a while ago and i saw this certain Antonio Pena in the first five of Villanova Wildcats. he is listed at 6-8, 235 lbs. his father is a certain Alvin Pena. i wonder if he's a filipino.

Kid Cubao
03-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Here's an interesting blog about John Calipari's offensive scheme at Memphis: Study Session: The Dribble-Drive Motion Offense (http://spartansweblog.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/study-session-the-dribble-drive-motion-offense/)

The blog also has a link to Grant Wahl's intro piece on the Dribble Drive Motion (DDM) from Sports Illustrated.

maganda, simple pero very effective. mukhang mas bagay ang ganitong opensa sa US olympic team na may kobe, d-wade at chris paul.

CM_Punk
03-28-2008, 10:00 AM
North Carolina and Xavier advance to the Elite Eight. They were showing the Washington State- North Carolina game this morning on BTV.

JonarSabilano
03-28-2008, 12:10 PM
And UCLA* is leading WKU* by only six points, 61-55, after leading the Toppers by 21 at halftime.

...and it's down to four. 6:31 to go. Kevin Love is simply manhandling them inside.

The_Big_Cat
03-28-2008, 12:49 PM
WKU put up a great fight. They trailed the game as many as 20 pts in the first half. Came back strong in the second half, sparked by Tyrone Brazelton. Brazelton scored 20 of his 26 pts in the second half. Outplaying UCLA guard Darren Collison. Love and Keefe dominated the paint for the Bruins.

john_paul_manahan
03-28-2008, 07:51 PM
brazelton surely got scouts' attention

gallant stand by the hilltoppers.

CM_Punk
03-29-2008, 08:57 AM
They are currently showing the Stanford-Texas game on BTV. Even with the loss of Kevin Durant after only 1 year in college, Texas is doing pretty good in the tournament.

They will also be showing the Kansas-Villanova game on BTV later this morning. Lots of good NBA prospects on that Kansas team to watch out for as well.

coreytaylor
03-29-2008, 01:43 PM
stephen curry does it again. scored 33pts. to help davidson eliminate wisconsin 73-56. if this kid joins the nba draft this year, he's going to be the steal in the draft.

CM_Punk
03-30-2008, 12:13 AM
Elite Eight games:

Saturday, March 29- (1) UCLA vs. (3) Xavier, (1) North Carolina vs. (3) Louisville

Sunday, March 30- (2) Texas vs. (1) Memphis, (10) Davidson vs. (1) Kansas

I don't think all four #1 seeds will advance, so I'm guessing Texas might have a chance and be able to defeat Memphis and advance to the Final Four. I really like the play so far of the PG of Texas, DJ Augustin, in the tournament.

john_paul_manahan
03-30-2008, 06:04 AM
fact: if all top seeds advance, it will be the first in NCAA history (under the current format).

texas has the best chance since the regional final is in clutch city.

pero all 4 matchups are tough and worthy.

bchoter
03-30-2008, 02:40 PM
^ The Bruins and the Tar Heels have done their part. It's now up to Memphis and Jayhwaks to do theirs and be part of a page in "history". But I hope Texas play the spoiler's role and beat Memphis.

Mateen Cleaves
03-31-2008, 07:20 AM
Kansas escapes Davidson. Next up, UNC and former Kansas coach Roy Williams. :)

BLUE HORSE
03-31-2008, 07:30 AM
The final 4 is all set. with all the number 1 seed making it for the first time in history. *It will be UNC and coach Williams against his former team Kansas while UCLA faces Memphis. Three of the games were won by big margin after a slow start but*Kansas barely beat Cinderella team Davidson by 2. *Davidson had the last shot. Kansas defense shut down Stephern Curry and Bryant Barr from taking the last shot. *Another player had to let fly a desperation shot from the 3 point area which was not close. *Nice run nonetheless for Davidson.

I feel that UNC will have its way with Kansas. *Memphis showed today that they have the size and athleticism to go all the way as the bigger Tiger guards smothered the Texas guards. *Memphis also made their free throws. *Rose was fantastic and it should be a great game with speed against speed. *Expect UCLA to use pressure defense and slow the game down to a half court set but picking the opportunity to run when they present themselves. *I still like a UNC UCLA finals.

gameface_one
03-31-2008, 07:42 AM
N. Carolina, UCLA gain Final 4
mb.com.ph

PHOENIX (Reuters) — North Carolina and UCLA, both number one seeds and two of the most successful ever college basketball teams, advanced to the Final Four of the NCAA tournament on Saturday.

UCLA, seeking its 12th national title, beat Xavier 76-57 to win the West Region and North Carolina, trying to capture national title number five, took the East Region with an 83-73 victory over persistent Louisville in Charlotte, North Carolina.

‘’They’re ready to go to San Antonio,’’ North Carolina coach Roy Williams said of his players, who will play the winner of Sunday’s Midwest battle between number one Kansas and upstart number 10 Davidson on Saturday. ‘’It was a great great game. We couldn’t feel any better than we do right now.’’

Tyler Hansbrough, the likely college player of the year, took over when after Louisville erased a 12-point halftime deficit, finishing with 28 points and 13 rebounds before being named Most Outstanding Player in the East Region.

His effort allowed North Carolina, the top overall seed in the tournament, to advance after losing in this same round last year.

‘’It feels great to get that taste out of out mouths,’’ Hansbrough said. ‘’We’ve had that with us the whole season.’’

The Tar Heels are 36-2 and have won all four NCAA tournament games in their home state, all by double digits.

This will be the 17th Final Four for North Carolina, the sixth for Roy Williams, who also took Kansas to college basketball’s big event. North Carolina returns to the Final Four for the first time since winning the title in 2005, with Williams as the coach.

UCLA is going back for the third straight season. It is the first time UCLA has gone to the national semi-finals three times in a row since the great John Wooden ended his career with nine straight trips before his replacement, Gene Bartow, capped the run in 1976.

‘’We’re honored to be representing the West and to be on our way to San Antonio,’’ UCLA coach Ben Howland said.

UCLA last won the title in 1995.

The Bruins will meet the winner of Sunday’s game between number one Memphis against number two Texas in the South Region final next Saturday.

The victories by UCLA and North Carolina kept all four number one seeds alive.

UCLA freshman Kevin Lowe scored 19 points and grabbed 10 rebounds and was named Most Outstanding Player in the region.

Darren Collison also had 19 points and Luc Richard Mbah a Moute added 13 points and 13 rebounds as UCLA won its 14th straight and improved to 35-3 for the season.

‘’We really came to play tonight,’’ Lowe said. ‘’We’re on to the Final Four for the third straight year. It’s the first for me.’’

The Bruins led by nine points at the half and put the game away with a 14-0 run early in the second half.

CM_Punk
03-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Indeed, history was made in the March Madness tournament, with all the top seeds making it to Final Four for the first time. I was expecting a closer game between Texas-Memphis, but it turned out differently with the game result. Texas sure could have used Kevin Durant out there :D

UNC-UCLA would also be quite the Finals to watch, just to see Love vs. Hansbrough, a battle of two big, intense warriors for the championship. Of course, they have to go through Kansas and Memphis first, in order for that matchup to happen.

Kid Cubao
03-31-2008, 08:37 AM
...here's my picks:

east: north carolina
midwest: kansas
south: stanford
west: dito ako medyo nahirapan. i'm leaning toward UCLA, pero masyadong beterano ang duke, and coach K just might have the edge in postseason experience over ben howland. either UCLA or duke.

so the final 4 pairing will be north carolina vs UCLA/duke, and kansas vs stanford.

this was my original final 4 scenario when the original bracket assignments were released. sumablay ako sa south, because i thought if there were any upsets that were to take place, it would have been in the south regionals with stanford reaching the final 4. i was wrong.

i equivocated at the west, because i hedged on my hunch that duke will find its groove in the postseason. i should have trusted my original guess that UCLA was the team to beat in the west regionals. may nalalaman pa kasi akong sikandtot ;D

sana tumama uli ako sa hulang kansas ang magkakampyon.

mighty_lion
03-31-2008, 08:40 AM
I watched both games kaninang umaga. Derrick Rose is no doubt a top 2 pick this incoming NBA draft. If he will show off a good show this F4 and lead the Tigers to Finals malaki ang chance for him to eventually become the top pick (ahead of Beasley). If I Miami gets the top pick this season I would swap that pick for the 2nd pick and another player depending on the team that gets the 2nd pick:
*If Minny - Beasley for Rose & Gomez
*If Memphis - Beasley (+ filler/expirings) for Rose & Miller
*If Seattle - Beasley for Rose & Wilcox or Green
*If New York - Beasley + Haslem for Rose + Curry *+ Lee *;D

I like Rose to go to Miami para mamaximize nila si Marion. Marion aint going nowhere if he is not paired with a good PG.

Oppss Super OT. Ganda kasi ng nilaro ni Rose. 21 pts 9 assist ;D

bchoter
03-31-2008, 09:30 AM
Love-Hansbraugh is a dream match up but I think Tyler is better all around at this point. Plus he has better support. But I'm still hoping for a UCLA wiin para tumama ang earlier prediction ko :D

OT: Patay na naman ang status report ko

coreytaylor
03-31-2008, 12:10 PM
sayang naman, davidson lost. kansas defended stephen curry very well and held him to just 9/25 fg. shooting.

tigerman
03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Let's go Tar Heels (clap-clap, clap-clap-clap)

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

bchoter
03-31-2008, 12:27 PM
Anybody but the Tar Heels or (buti nalang tanggal na :D) Duke

erichubert
03-31-2008, 03:25 PM
UCLA-North Carolina would be a dream final. Love vs Hansbrough. Collison vs Lawson. Westbrook vs Ellington. Solid match-ups talaga. This is a powerhouse final four, powerhouse traditional programs lahat ang pasok, hopefully the matches would be well-played and exciting.

How sweet would it be though for Kansas to enter the final and beat its former coach Roy Williams? :)

tigerman
03-31-2008, 04:29 PM
Anybody but the Tar Heels or (buti nalang tanggal na :D) Duke

Bakit naman Manong? :P

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

bchoter
03-31-2008, 06:45 PM
Nakakasawa na :D (may halong inggit)

gameface_one
04-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Kansas ends Davidson's dream NCAA run

Reuters

DETROIT - The Kansas Jayhawks brought the Davidson Wildcats' dream NCAA championship run to a heart-stopping end with a 59-57 win in the Midwest Regional final on Sunday.

Kansas will join the top seeds from the other three regions, UCLA Bruins, North Carolina Tar Heels and Memphis Tigers, in San Antonio next weekend for the Final Four.

A record crowd of 57,563 -- the largest ever to watch an NCAA preliminary round game -- and a national television audience watched to see if tiny Davidson could produce more magic following upset wins over Georgetown, Wisconsin and Gonzaga.

The Wildcats looked ready to provide a little bit more "March Madness" when Stephen Curry, the Midwest Region's Most Outstanding Player, dropped a long-range three-pointer with 54 seconds left to cut the Kansas lead to 59-57.

With the crowd on its feet, the Wildcats had one last chance with 16 seconds to play but Jason Richards's jumper from the top of key bounced off the backboard, triggering wild celebrations among the Kansas supporters.

"I couldn't be prouder of this group of men," Davidson coach Bob McKillop told reporters. "I think they represented Davidson College with the greatest poise, with the greatest commitment with a remarkable run in this very, very compelling sporting event.

"The agony of this is that we've come so far, smelled and touched and seen our dream but haven't fully embraced it because of one possession at the end there.

"We came two points away from advancing to the Final Four.

"For a school with 1,700 students, with the academic rigor that we have, playing in the Southern Conference...is a remarkable statement about effort."

Gritty play

The Wildcats exit US college sport's biggest stage having earned the respect of the entire country for their gritty play.

An exclusive liberal arts school with a small enrolment and high tuition fees ($41,000), Davidson was better known for the free laundry service it provides students than its basketball programme, which has a distinct international flair with players from Canada, France, Turkey, Nigeria and England on the bench.

The Final Four is set to be an epic battle between some of US college basketball's most successful teams with UCLA taking on Memphis in one semi-final and Kansas facing North Carolina in the other.

After falling in the South Regional final the last two years, it proved third time lucky for Memphis (37-1), who booked their Final Four spot with an 85-67 win over the second seed Texas Longhorns and head to San Antonio having lost just once this season.

The Tar Heels, top seed overall in the 65-team US college basketball championship, booked their place on Saturday after beating Louisville 83-73 in the East Region title game while UCLA, seeking its 12th national title, beat Xavier 76-57 to win the West Region.

CM_Punk
04-01-2008, 09:34 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/specials/ncaa_tourney/2008/03/31/all.america.ap/index.html

All-America squad released
Hansbrough, Beasley both unanimous selections

North Carolina's Tyler Hansbrough and Kansas State's Michael Beasley were unanimous selections to The Associated Press' All-America team Monday. For the first time, no senior was chosen.

Beasley and Kevin Love of UCLA made it two straight years there were two freshmen chosen. Sophomore D.J. Augustin of Texas and junior Chris Douglas-Roberts rounded out the selections, shutting out the seniors.

The AP started choosing All-America teams after the 1947-48 season, and for the next six decades there was at least one member of the senior class on every first team.

Until this group.

Hansbrough, a junior and the Atlantic Coast Conference player of the year, and Beasley, the Big 12 player of the year and third freshman to lead the country in rebounding, were named on all 72 ballots and received 360 points from the same national media panel that selects the weekly Top 25. The voting was done before the NCAA tournament.

"To be one of just two players in the country to receive such an honor is very humbling," said Beasley, who led Kansas State to its first NCAA bid since 1996. "I have never been about individual accomplishments, but about helping my team win games. I wish we were still playing, but I am happy with the success we had this season."

The 6-foot-10 Beasley averaged 26.5 points and 12.4 rebounds for the Wildcats, shooting 53.5 percent from the field including 38.9 percent from 3-point range. He is Kansas State's first All-America since Bob Boozer in 1959.

Hansbrough, a second-team selection last season, compiled impressive numbers (23.0 points, 10.4 rebounds) and lived up to his "Psycho T" nickname while leading the Tar Heels to a school-record 36 wins and their 17th Final Four. The last North Carolina player to be picked to the first team was Joseph Forte in 2001.

The 6-9 Hansbrough and Beasley joined Jameer Nelson of Saint Joseph's and Emeka Okafor of Connecticut in 2004, and J.J. Redick of Duke and Adam Morrison of Gonzaga in 2006 as unanimous tandems. Hansbrough said he knew his name and Beasley's were linked most of the season by fans and media.

"I think everybody wants to make comparisons about stats and things," Hansbrough said. "To me, I thought he was definitely in a different situation than here. ... He definitely had a good year and has had a lot of accomplishments."

The 6-foot Augustin was named on 66 ballots and had 346 points. He directed the Longhorns to the regional final, averaging 19.8 points and 5.7 assists in 37.2 minutes. It is the second straight year a Texas player was on the first team as Kevin Durant and Ohio State's Greg Oden became just the third and fourth freshmen to be so honored since 1972.

"It shows if you come here and work hard, ready to learn, great things will happen," Augustin said.

The 6-10 Love led the Bruins to their third straight Final Four appearance, averaging a double-double in their tournament run after getting 17.1 points and 10.6 rebounds and shooting 55.7 percent in the regular season.

Love received 52 first-team votes and 318 points to become UCLA's second All-America in as many seasons as Arron Afflalo was chosen last year. Love said he followed Beasley closely this season.

"That's my guy. I've known Mike since seventh grade. We played against each other so many times," Love said. "He's a great player. He had one hell of a year this year, and I think if he decides to leave he'll be the No. 1 pick in the draft."

Douglas-Roberts, the third member of the All-America team playing in the Final Four, had 52 first-team votes and 309 points. The 6-7 swingman averaged 17.2 points and 4.1 rebounds and shot 44.9 percent from 3-point range for the Tigers, who lost just one game this season and earned the school's second No. 1 ranking.

"It's an honor. I've put a lot of work in, over the summers, during the season and staying after practice just trying to improve. I feel now that I'm finally getting the recognition I deserve," said Douglas-Roberts, Memphis' first All-America since Penny Hardaway in 1993. "But I still say when people look at that All-American list, it's a motivation because I'm the one that people know the least about."

Notre Dame sophomore center Luke Harangody was sixth in the voting with 211 points, and he was joined on the second team by seniors Shan Foster of Vanderbilt, D.J. White of Indiana and Roy Hibbert of Georgetown, and college basketball's newest star, Davidson sophomore guard Stephen Curry who led the Wildcats to the regional final by averaging 34.5 points in the NCAA tournament.

The third team was senior Chris Lofton of Tennessee, junior Darren Collison of UCLA, sophomore Brook Lopez of Stanford and freshmen Derrick Rose of Memphis and Eric Gordon of Indiana.

Lofton was picked for the second team last season.

The preseason All-America team was Hansbrough, Lofton, Hibbert, Collison and Michigan State guard Drew Neitzel.

john_paul_manahan
04-03-2008, 12:25 AM
finals will be shown on btv this weekend.

ncaa news:

tom crean is named head coach of indiana
darrin horn will be coaching south carolina (bad move imho)

lopez twins entering draft
stephen curry staying (will be preseason all-america next year in all likelihood)

BLUE HORSE
04-03-2008, 12:45 AM
John Paul,

The extra half a million a year will do the trick.* Western Kentucky offered to raise his salary to 350K a year, bump his assistants salary and upgrade the facilities.* South Carolina travels first class and assistants pay is commensurate to the other ACC coaches.* There is a big difference between a starting salary of 350 and 850.* The pressure is greater on Horn now but if he delivers South Carolina to either the NIT or NCAA, he will be joining the million dollar club.

Western Kentucky was hoping that an alumnae of the school was going to give them a salary discount.* No way, Horn took care of himself.* If Western Kentucky does not name one of the current assistant coaches as head coach, expect Horn to come back and take his whole coaching staff with him to Columbia, South Carolina.* WKU administrators know that the school is a very attractive destination for up and coming coaches or assistants.* The last 2 decades showed that Gene Keady, the disgraced Minnesota coach, Willard, Felton and now Horn stopped at Bowling Green before going to greener pastures.

The other coaches being considered for WKU other than the assistant coach of WKU and Texas, is the head coach of UMass, Travis Ford. Ford is a hot name in coaching circles as he brought UMass to the big dance at Madison Square Garden. WKU is not the only school looking at Ford. LSU is also interested in him. WKU's ace in the whole is that Ford is from Kentucky having played for Pitino. They will try to call him home. WKU and LSU are just waiting for the NIT and NCAA tourney to end to make their move.

john_paul_manahan
04-03-2008, 12:48 AM
noted. :p

i do hope the natural process will be followed and that the assistant would be named as replacement.

pio_valenz
04-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Anyone know of any establishment that will be showing the F4 and finals live?

bigfreeze_bibby
04-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Anyone know of any establishment that will be showing the F4 and finals live?

NSG lang naiisip ko so far or Chili's. Magagandang match ups lahat. Ang hirap mag-predict although I have to admit that I'm biased towards Carolina hehe.

pio_valenz
04-04-2008, 02:43 PM
^That's why I really want to watch. Kung kelan magtatapat ang Carolina at Kansas, doon pa ako walang access. Skycable country kasi sa area namin eh. Pero subukan ko na rin dumayo sa Chili's. Ang Outback kaya?

Mateen Cleaves
04-04-2008, 07:02 PM
^Ala sais ng umaga? Alas nuwebe kung KU-UNC lang ang habol mo. ???

CM_Punk
04-05-2008, 04:14 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/specials/ncaa_tourney/2008/04/04/bc.bkc.applayeroftheyea.ap/index.html

Hansbrough is AP's player of the year

Posted: Friday April 4, 2008 11:07AM; Updated: Friday April 4, 2008 11:07AM

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Tyler Hansbrough, who topped the Atlantic Coast Conference in scoring and rebounding and led North Carolina to the Final Four, was selected The Associated Press college basketball player of the year Friday.

The 6-foot-9 junior forward averaged 22.8 points, the highest mark by a North Carolina player since 1970, and 10.3 rebounds for the Tar Heels (36-2), who were ranked No. 1 for all but six weeks this season and were the overall top seed for the NCAA tournament.

Hansbrough was presented the award the day before the Tar Heels play Kansas in the second game of the Final Four.

He received 56 votes from the 72-member national media panel that selects the weekly Top 25. Freshman Michael Beasley of Kansas State had 15 votes and junior guard Chris Douglas-Roberts of Memphis got one in the voting conducted before the NCAA tournament. Hansbrough and Beasley both were unanimous selections as first-team All-Americans.

Hansbrough lived up to his advance billing this season -- he was one vote shy of being a unanimous pick for the preseason All-America team.

Known for his all-out hustle and physical style of play, Hansbrough led the Tar Heels with 57 steals and was credited with drawing 42 charges from opponents. He was chosen the MVP of the ACC tournament and the NCAA's East Regional, where he led the Tar Heels to their 17th Final Four appearance.

Hansbrough, second on the North Carolina career scoring list with 2,151 points, 139 behind Phil Ford, joins Michael Jordan (1984) and Antawn Jamison (1998) as national players of the year from North Carolina. The last two players to lead the ACC in scoring and rebounding in the same season, Tim Duncan of Wake Forest in 1997 and Jamison, were national players of the year.

Players from the Atlantic Coast Conference have won the award eight times in the last 14 years.

Freshman Kevin Durant of Texas was the player of the year last season. He was the second overall pick in the NBA draft.

The_Big_Cat
04-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Hansbrough has been playing fantastic basketball all season long. It will be more fantastic if North Carolina wins the NCAA title.

King_stag
04-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Kansas will win this one. hehe (sorry unc fans)
Brandon rush is an explosive scorer. Joe D. has been scouting him since last year and he opened the eyes scouts with his scoring ability. Supporting him is an explosive leaper in Darrell Arthur, he got injured late last season but still he is a steady contributor.

mighty_lion
04-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Go Memphis! Gusto ko yong running game ng Memphis. Half-court D tapos quick transition. ;D

ilovedhay
04-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Memphis get the first ticket to the national championship beating Kevin Love led UCLA Bruins. The score 78-63. They will meet the winner between UNC-Kansas on Monday (Tuesday in Manila).

batangueño
04-06-2008, 09:21 AM
GAME OVER.

FINAL SCORE: Kansas, 84. UNC, 66.

It's the University of Memphis Tigers against the University of Kansas Jayhawks in the NCAA Division I basketball Finals.

CM_Punk
04-06-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm cheering for Kansas to win the NCAA championship, and expecting a big game from Brandon Rush, one of my favourite college players. Kansas could have easily folded against UNC in the 2nd half, but they held on to their lead and showed some mental toughness, getting a big win in their Final Four game.

Rose of Memphis is pretty impressive, but the depth and heart of Kansas should be good enough to overcome the Memphis squad. Hope the final game won't be a blowout, and be a competitive one for both teams.

tigerman
04-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Damnit just when I thought the Tar Heels would surpass Duke's magical comeback from 21 points, the Jayhawks played steadier down the stretch. I can't help but wonder why Coach Roy benched Green when NC was still within striking distance. ??? I guess the 28 point deficit was too much to overcome.

No Love-Hansbrough finale but rather Rose-Rush...

I'll go for Memphis! Go Derrick Rose (the player not the LBJ fanboy pexer)! :D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
04-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Derrick Rose has the potential to surpass the NBA milestones of Chris Paul, Steve Nash and Deron Williams. Parang Chris Paul na nilagay sa katawan ni Baron Davis or Dwane Wade.

The_Big_Cat
04-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Memphis and Kansas are the two best defensive team in the NCAA.

The Memphis guards were just too big for UCLA. And their frontcourt of Joey Dorsey was just awesome putting some affection against Kevin Love's offense. Hirap na hirap sila sa loob. They did a good job against Kevin Love. Memphis coach John Calapari was also the coach of UMASS when they had Marcus Camby in that team during the mid-90s.

Kansas was brilliant from the start. Outhustling North Carolina in every department. Nagmukhang Division 3 team ang North Carolina sa game. Nilampaso sila ng Kansas. The good start of Kansas was the telling factor because from then on they dictated the tempo and pace of the game.

The Memphis-Kansas game tomorrow, i think, will be a defensive game. Kansas has the better outside shooting while Memphis generates its offense from the penetration of its guards. But Memphis is a poor free throw shooting team, you have to watch this category in tomorrow's game.

coreytaylor
04-06-2008, 07:13 PM
just when i thought north carolina and ucla will meet in the finals. neither of them pala will make it. talagang bilog ang bola sa mundo ng basketbol. :D

john_paul_manahan
04-06-2008, 09:29 PM
game will be on tuesday.

as per tradition, no nba games are scheduled that day (if i am correct).

The_Big_Cat
04-07-2008, 10:37 AM
I will pick Memphis to win the NCAA title.

Memphis has the better one-on-one players in Derrick Rose and Chris Douglas-Roberts. Memphis also is the better one-on-one defense. For Kansas, they are the better team-defenders. Kansas like to swarm the middle whenever the ball goes there. In offense, they like to move the ball much faster and they are definitely the better outside shooting team. Memphis is also a bad free throw shooting team.

Derrick Rose is in the mold of a Baron Davis. Big bulky guard who loves to use his big body against the smaller midget guards. Chris Douglas-Roberts reminds you of a Rudy Gay when he penetrates in the middle. If these two players struggle so will the Memphis Tigers.

tigerman
04-08-2008, 10:47 AM
A close game in San Antonio! As of this writing, the Jayhawks are up by only one 43-42 with still 12 minutes remaining the 2nd half.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

tigerman
04-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Rose is not scoring but he's making scoring situations for his teammates.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

LION
04-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Now D. Rose is scoring. ;D

But I'm rooting for the Jayhawks, the heartbreak kids. ;D

tigerman
04-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Rose is taking over! Save the best for last I guess? This might be his last game as an amateur.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

LION
04-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Now D. Rose is scoring. *;D *

But I'm rooting for the Jayhawks, the heartbreak kids. * ;D *

batangueño
04-08-2008, 11:13 AM
This is one hell of a game!

Go Tigers! ;D

JonarSabilano
04-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Rose is playing like the NBA prospect he is being touted to be.

batangueño
04-08-2008, 11:16 AM
Rose is playing like the NBA prospect he is being touted to be.

Ang magandang tanong dyan, Kabayan, ay kung tatalon na siya sa NBA kaagad after this year's NCAA finals. :)

tigerman
04-08-2008, 11:19 AM
I heard from some sources that Pat Riley had contacted Derrick Rose to go to South Florida after the NCAA tournament. ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

batangueño
04-08-2008, 11:20 AM
SCORES:

Kansas, 56. Memphis, 62. 1:23 left.

Dorsey fouls out.

tigerman
04-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Dorsey has fouled out.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

LION
04-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Damn! Looks like Memphis will be this year's NCAA champion. *>:( * * *6 pt lead with 1:22 left.

What a performance by Rose.

batangueño
04-08-2008, 11:23 AM
SCORES:

Kansas, 60. Memphis, 62. 1:00 left.

LION
04-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Yes! just a 2pt lead now.* 44 secs left in the game. ;D

batangueño
04-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Damn! Looks like Memphis will be this year's NCAA champion. >:( 6 pt lead with 1:22 left.

What a performance by Rose.

Kabayan, masyadong dikit ang laro. Either Memphis or Kansas will win the title in a game this close. ;)

Derrick Rose! Wow! He might enjoy the Miami sun after this. ;D

tigerman
04-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Sayang yung fastbreak attack ng Kansas. Game-tying shot sana yun.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

batangueño
04-08-2008, 11:28 AM
OVERTIME!

Kansas and Memphis, 63.

tigerman
04-08-2008, 11:31 AM
We're going to overtime baby!
Kapag natalo Memphis dito, we all know the reason. FREETHROWS!!!!!!!!!

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

LION
04-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Wahohohooooooooooo! Overtime! Hahaha.

batangueño
04-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Sayang talaga yung free throws na yun, tigerman. Kung naipasok lahat yun, panalo na sana ang Memphis.

SCORES:

Kansas, 65. Memphis, 63. 4:21 left in OT.

tigerman
04-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Dinadaga na ata si Mr. Rose. At mukhang pagod na sila parehas ni Douglas-Roberts.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

batangueño
04-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Momentum has swung in favor of Kansas.

Kansas, 69. Memphis, 63. 2:29 left in OT.

tigerman
04-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Dorsey's absence is being felt right now in ot. The Kansas biggies are making a living in the paint.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

LION
04-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Sayang si Roy Williams. Dagdag championship sana sa kanya ito kung saka sakali. :P

batangueño
04-08-2008, 11:42 AM
SCORES:

Kansas, 71. Memphis, 68. 56 seconds left.

LION
04-08-2008, 11:42 AM
^ Roberts?

tigerman
04-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Why foul Memphis?

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

batangueño
04-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Chalmers fouled by Roberts. Roberts 4 personal fouls.

Chalmers 2 out of 2.

Kansas, 73. Memphis, 68. 46 left.

LION
04-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Chalmers for Finals MVP, if there is one! ;D

tigerman
04-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Rose is not looking to take over.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

batangueño
04-08-2008, 11:50 AM
GAME OVER.

Kansas, 75. Memphis, 68.

University of Kansas Jayhawks, NCAA Division I men's basketball champions.

Those wasted free throws by Derrick Rose did it for Memphis. Too bad, the Tigers almost made it.

As for Kansas, CHALMERS! :D

tigerman
04-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Kansas wins the NCAA national title!!! Memphis failed to fight the pressure especially Rose.

The latter was already up by 9 points 60-51 with just a little over 2 minutes remaining in regulation.
Too bad the missed freethrows and inability to defend to the inside cost them the title.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

batangueño
04-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Kabayang LION, congratulations sa iyo. ;) :D

Sayang talaga yung free throws ni Rose, tigerman. Sayang na sayang.

batangueño
04-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Kansas wins the NCAA national title!!! Memphis failed to fight the pressure especially Rose.

The latter was already up by 9 points 60-51 with just a little over 2 minutes remaining in regulation.
Too bad the missed freethrows and inability to defend to the inside cost them the title.

I guess that's the problem with first-timers. Sayang talaga ang Memphis. :(

Kid Cubao
04-08-2008, 11:55 AM
pirles porkast: KANSAS JAYHAWKS as 2008 NCAA champs.

yehey, panalo ang manok ko ;D

tigerman
04-08-2008, 11:56 AM

Sayang din yung pabandang tira ni Rose na akala ng lahat ay three points pero ginawang 2 point lang matapos tingnan sa replay.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

mighty_lion
04-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Derrick Rose failed to deliver in the closing minutes *:'( Also, this is the second year where in my pick to win the championship ended up 2nd place. *:-[

Ayos lang yan, pwede pang storyliner yan lateron. Gaya ng playoff freethrows ni Agent Zero against Cavs.

Congrats Kansas.

batangueño
04-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Sayang din yung pabandang tira ni Rose na akala ng lahat ay three points pero ginawang 2 point lang matapos tingnan sa replay.

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

Ah. Isa pa yan. Sayang talaga. :(

Well, the Kansas Jayhawks, the fighters that they are, deserve the title. Very balanced team, great fighting hearts. They never gave up on this.

tigerman
04-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Baka di pa matutuloy yung pagpunta ni Rose sa South Florida. ;D

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

JonarSabilano
04-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Wow. What an endgame by Chalmers. I thought Memphis had it all but locked up when I went to lunch. Hindi ako makapaniwala sa endgame ng Kansas. All those years of experience did it for them.

As for Memphis, sana sunod-sunod na ang mga ganito nila. I like the way their offense was being run. John Calipari is a great coach but it's just too bad Rose wasn't able to get those FTs.

batangueño
04-08-2008, 12:03 PM
JonarSabilano: Kabayan, sa tingin ko ay dapat magkaroon ng depensa sa loob ang Memphis. Halos si Dorsey ang nagdadala ng depensa ng Tigers eh. With Dorsey graduating in regulation, nasira na ang play ng Memphis.

Again, congratulations to the Kansas Jayhawks. They really played great basketball tonight and, most importantly, they never gave up.

CM_Punk
04-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Congratulations to Kansas ;D. I left the TV with 5 minutes left in the game, going out to lunch, with Memphis in control. Looks like a good ending to catch on the replay tonight on BTV. Lots of guys on both teams are probably going to declare for the NBA draft, as both teams played their hearts out.

The_Big_Cat
04-08-2008, 12:11 PM
KANSAS 75 MEMPHIS 68

Kansas 75
Arthur 20, Chalmers 18, Rush 12, Colllins 11, Jackson 8, Kaun 4, Robinson 2

Memphis 68
Douglas-Roberts 22, Rose 18, Dozier 11, Anderson 9, Dorsey 6, Taggart 2

half-time 33-28

Memphis' bad free throw shooting all-season long led to their downfall this championship game. Rose struggled in the first half but manage to bounce back in the second by scoring 15 out of his 18 pts. Douglas-Roberts carried Memphis in the first half scoring 13 out of his 22 pts.

Kansas played exceptional team defense in the first half limiting Rose to just 3 pts. Kansas dominated the points in the paint particularly Darrell Arthur. Good coaching by Kansas as they were down in regulation with less than 2 minutes opting to foul that led to Memphis missing 4 crucial free throws. Memphis simply had no big man that could score in the paint. Great game for Chalmers bailing out Kansas.

Bravo Kansas!

batangueño
04-08-2008, 12:55 PM
I am wondering now if things would have changed in favor of Memphis if ever Dorsey did not foul out of the game. ???

Looks like Brandon Rush might be the first to declare to join the NBA draft if ever. ;D

The_Big_Cat
04-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Dorsey is a "knuckehead". Often "showboating" during the game. His break away dunk against Aldrich and the alley-up dunk where he held the ball and pointed to the gallery. He should have known that he was Memphis' only legit big man. Taggart was defenseless against the Arthur in overtime as Kansas pounded Memphis more in the paint without Dorsey.

CM_Punk
04-08-2008, 01:14 PM
^ I agree, those two plays could have given Dorsey a technical from the refs, but they let them go instead. Biggest game of the year, you should keep your head in the game, and focus on playing your best. Dorsey is already 24 years old, and was bullying players who were 3-4 years younger than he is, which he certainly won't be able to do in the NBA, if he does get drafted and sticks to a roster.

The_Big_Cat
04-08-2008, 01:20 PM
^ I agree, those two plays could have given Dorsey a technical from the refs, but they let them go instead. Biggest game of the year, you should keep your head in the game, and focus on playing your best. Dorsey is already 24 years old, and was bullying players who were 3-4 years younger than he is, which he certainly won't be able to do in the NBA, if he does get drafted and sticks to a roster.

Rose is a freshman and Douglas-Roberts is a junior. If they will join the draft I'm sure they will be drafted in the first round.

LION
04-08-2008, 01:26 PM

I just thought that the Jayhawks were destined to win it this year. *All the personal tragedies the players had to endure and conquer made them the tough individuals they are now, and they used their toughness in this game. * *I thought they were gonners a little more than a minute left in the game and Memphis leading by 4 or 5 pts. but man they really showed their resiliency.

coreytaylor
04-08-2008, 01:43 PM
great game. congratulations to kansas.

stonecold316
04-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Kansas grabs NCAA title in OT win vs Memphis
04/08/2008 | 12:07 PM

Email this | Email the Editor | Print | Digg this | Add to del.icio.us SAN ANTONIO - So patient for 20 years, Kansas had no problem working an extra five minutes to bring a long-awaited championship back to the heartland.

Mario Chalmers hit a 3-pointer with 2.1 seconds left in regulation to push the game into overtime, and the Jayhawks grinded it out from there for a 75-68 victory Monday night over Memphis in one of the best title games in recent memory.

"We got the ball in our most clutch player's hands, and he delivered," Kansas coach Bill Self said.

It was the first title for Kansas since 1988, when Danny Manning, now an assistant coach for the Jayhawks, led them to an upset of Oklahoma. And the shot earned Chalmers the most outstanding player honor.

"I had a good look at it," Chalmers said. "When it left my hands it felt like it was good, and it just went in."

The most memorable performance in this one came from freshman Derrick Rose of Memphis, who completely took over the game in the second half, scoring 14 of his team's 16 points during one stretch to lift the Tigers to a 60-51 lead.

But Kansas (37-3) used the strategy any smart opponent of Memphis' would — fouling the heck out of one of the country's worst free-throw-shooting teams — and when Rose and Chris Douglas-Roberts combined to miss four of five over the last 1:12, it left the door open for KU.

Hustling the ball down the court with 10.8 seconds left and no timeouts, Sherron Collins handed off to Chalmers at the top of the 3-point line and Chalmers took the shot from the top. It hit nothing but net and tied the score at 63.

Robert Dozier missed a desperation shot at the buzzer, and Rose went limping to the bench, favoring his right leg. Brandon Rush, Darrell Arthur and Darnell Jackson scored the first six points of overtime to put Kansas ahead 69-63. Memphis, clearly exhausted, didn't pull within three again.

Arthur was dominant inside, finishing with 20 points and 10 rebounds, lots on dunks and easy lay-ups off lob passes. Chalmers finished with 18 points. Rush had 12 and Collins had 11 points, six assists and did a wonderful job shutting Rose for the first 28 minutes.

Rose wound up with 18 points in a game that showed how ready he is for the NBA. He was 3-for-4 from the line, however, and that one miss with 10.8 seconds left is what almost certainly would have sealed the game and given the Tigers (38-2) their first title.

Instead, the title goes back to Lawrence for the third time in the fabled program's history.

"If we played 10 times, it'd probably go five and five," Self said. "We got fortunate late."

The inventor of the game, James Naismith, was the first Jayhawks coach. It's the school that made household names of Wilt Chamberlain, Manning — and yes, even North Carolina's Roy Williams, the coach who famously left the Jayhawks, lost to them in the semifinals, but was, indeed, in the Kansas cheering section to watch Bill Self bring the title back that he never could.

This game was not about coaches or sidestories, though. It was about the game, and what a dandy it was — a well-needed reprieve from a more-or-less blah tournament in which 42 of 63 games were decided by double digits.

This was the first overtime in the title game since 1997, when Arizona beat Kentucky 84-79.

Kansas, mostly Collins, put the clamps on Rose for the first half, allowing the freshman only four shots and leaving him spiking the ball on the floor as he walked to the locker room after a frustrating 20 minutes.

It stayed that way for the first five of the second half, but Kansas couldn't pull away. Douglas-Roberts made sure of it, winning enough of the 1-on-1 matchups that the Memphis offense creates to keep the Tigers in range.

Then, finally Rose took over — a 3-pointer here, a scooping layup for a three-point play next. Then, the capper, an off-balance, 18-foot shot off glass with the shot-clock buzzer sounding. It gave Memphis a 56-49 lead. Most teams would have been demoralized.

Clearly, Kansas is not like most teams. - AP

batangueño
04-08-2008, 01:47 PM
The 2008 NCAA Division I National Finals between the eventual champions University of Kansas Jayhawks and the University of Memphis Tigers will definitely go down as one of the BEST college basketball finals in history. :)

stonecold316
04-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Congratulations to the Kansas Jayhawks!

The championship is really worth the wait.

stonecold316

Kid Cubao
04-08-2008, 01:58 PM
para sa akin, ganito lang kasimple ang nangyari. all season long, memphis has been bothered by its terrible free throw shooting. i anticipated that if memphis ever met a tough opponent, one that would be able to keep the score close all game long, malaki ang posibilidad na madadapa sila dahil titiklop sila sa FT line. that was the reason i did not pencil in their name in the final 4 brackets. it's a testament to their style of play that they got to the big dance in the first place.

for kansas, i felt it was time for the jayhawks to reap the benefits of their outstanding recruiting classes ever since head coach bill self was appointed to succeed roy williams. lamang talaga sa tao ang kansas, because they had in their roster not a few players who are already NBA all-star quality--especially brandon rush. it's a template for success i noticed when florida went back-to-back in 2006 and 2007: pick the team with the most number of NBA-ready players to win it all ;D

erichubert
04-08-2008, 01:58 PM
I agree, they seemed destined for it, what a way to remember their last championship 20 years ago by winning a new one! Glad to see Danny Manning again, he has now brought two championships to Kansas, as a player and as an assistant coach. Of all the four top seeds, Kansas was the least talked about, maybe because they didn't have Rose, Hansbrough or Kevin Love in their roster.

Derrick Rose played a great game, almost winning it for Memphis, sometimes though he has to learn to be more aggressive, he deferred to Douglas-Roberts too much in the overtime period, but I think he is one hell of player and should be selected number one overall in the draft.

The_Big_Cat
04-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Memphis was 38-1 going into the national championship game. It was already an NCAA All-time record for a team with the most wins going into the final game.

gameface_one
04-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Kansas seals first NCAA title for 20 years
Reuters

SAN ANTONIO, Texas - Kansas capitalized on some poor free-throw shooting by Memphis late in the game to grind out a 75-68 overtime victory and seal their first national championship for 20 years on Monday.

Memphis (38-2) led 60-51 with 2:12 left in regulation but missed four of five free throws down the stretch, setting the stage for a game-tying three-pointer by Kansas guard Mario Chalmers with 2.1 seconds remaining.

Tigers senior forward Joey Dorsey dropped to his knees after watching Chalmers hit the shot from the top of the arc that locked the score at 63-63 and sent the game into overtime.

"I was like, 'Man, I can't believe he hit that shot,' because I just knew we was ready to cut the nets down," he told reporters.

"When you're out there, it was tough because you're looking at the ball, you're looking at the rotation," Memphis guard Chris Douglas-Roberts added. "I seen it was going in. It hurt."

Douglas-Roberts, who finished with 22 points, missed all three of his free throws in the final 1:15 of regulation, while his backcourt mate, freshman Derrick Rose, blew one of two.

Given a reprieve by Memphis's free-throw woes, Kansas (37-3) scored the first six points in the extra session to take a 69-63 lead and was never threatened.

"I wish we would have made the free throws," Memphis coach John Calipari said. "But let's put it this way. Did we have the guys at the line that we wanted at the line? Yeah.

"They don't make every one. They're not machines, these kids. They're just not. And under that glare of that significance."

Missed throws

Kansas forward Darrell Arthur scored 20 points, hitting nine-of-13 shots while grabbing 10 rebounds. Chalmers had 18 points and was named the game's most outstanding player.

Memphis, which hit only 61 percent of its free throws this season, made 12-of-19 on Monday. Douglas-Roberts hit six-of-nine and Rose three-of-four but they misfired when it really mattered.

"All along people have been talking about how bad a free-throw shooting team they are," Chalmers said.

"Coach (Bill) Self told us to foul a couple of their worst shooters. We got lucky. Chris missed two free throws.

"Derrick Rose missed one free throw. That was a big thing for us. We just took that and ran with it."

Self conceded things had looked grim late in regulation but he never thought it was over.

"I just thought, 'You know, we can do this. We can do this. We just need to catch a break.' And we caught a break," he said.

"But I never thought it was dead. I never did. But I knew it didn't look very good."

King_stag
04-08-2008, 09:56 PM
CDR muffed four freethrows with a minute left, anoher 1 by rose. They should have won but i guess the pressure is too much. If D Rose asserted his scoring ability they could have won. Their offensive sets are questionable, Rose doesnt need picks to make space for himself but his teammates dint clear the way for him.* >:(

aircanda
04-09-2008, 08:54 AM
pagsisisihan ko buong buhay ko ang hindi pagnood ng championship.. kahit na may replay.. nagsisisisi pa ren ako.. ???

akala ko sa memphis na because of D Rose superb play..

The_Big_Cat
04-09-2008, 11:19 AM
pagsisisihan ko buong buhay ko ang hindi pagnood ng championship.. kahit na may replay.. nagsisisisi pa ren ako.. ???

akala ko sa memphis na because of D Rose superb play..

Rose and Douglas-Roberts can redeem themselves next season if they choose to stay in college.

CM_Punk
04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
^ Rose and CDR are probably going to the NBA next season. Last year, Oden and Conley lost the title game to Florida, but left Ohio State once they saw how high their draft stock was. The Memphis players should think about doing the same thing as well for the June NBA draft.

The_Big_Cat
04-09-2008, 02:40 PM
^ Rose and CDR are probably going to the NBA next season. Last year, Oden and Conley lost the title game to Florida, but left Ohio State once they saw how high their draft stock was. The Memphis players should think about doing the same thing as well for the June NBA draft.

They probably will. Rose is only a freshman while Douglas-Roberts is a junior. Oden & Conley were only freshmen when they decided to join the NBA Draft.

Incidentally, last month, the NBA announced that they are seriously considering an age limit to those who wish to apply to the draft. Currently, they would at least accept the age limit of 19 which is a year in college. Now, they are proposing at least 20 years before one is to be accepted to join the NBA Draft.

coreytaylor
04-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Report: UCLA’s Love, Collison to declare for NBA draft

LOS ANGELES (AP)—UCLA All-American Kevin Love and teammate Darren Collison will make themselves available for the NBA draft, the Los Angeles Times reported Tuesday night.

The newspaper, quoting unidentified sources close to the players, reported they are expected to hire agents, which would mean they could not return to play for the Bruins next season.

However, Collison denied the report through a UCLA spokesman, saying he hadn’t yet talked with his parents about his future plans.

UCLA coach Ben Howland has a news conference scheduled for Wednesday.

Love, a freshman center, led the Bruins in scoring (17.5 points) and rebounds (10.6). Collison, a junior point guard, was a third-team All-American who averaged 15.2 points and 3.9 assists this season.

The Bruins lost in the national semifinals to Memphis on Saturday.

The Times also reported the Bruins are expected to lose sophomore guard Russell Westbrook to the June draft. The deadline for underclassmen to declare is April 27.

aircanda
04-09-2008, 04:20 PM

They probably will. Rose is only a freshman while Douglas-Roberts is a junior. Oden & Conley were only freshmen when they decided to join the NBA Draft.

Incidentally, last month, the NBA announced that they are seriously considering an age limit to those who wish to apply to the draft. Currently, they would at least accept the age limit of 19 which is a year in college. Now, they are proposing at least 20 years before one is to be accepted to join the NBA Draft.

yeah.. its true sir.. but i also read na matagal pa daw mangyayare ito,,

tigerman
04-10-2008, 04:50 PM
O.J. Mayo Leaving USC For NBA
April 10, 2008 - 12:24 am
AP -
O.J. Mayo is leaving USC after one season to enter the NBA draft, a decision confirmed Wednesday night by a school spokesman, and reeported by the Associated Press.

Mayo plans to hire an agent, which would prevent him from returning to the Trojans.

The freshman guard signaled his intentions by wearing socks with the NBA logo in USC’s loss to Kansas State in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/51879/20080410/oj_mayo_leaving_usc_for_nba/

USTE LO MEJOR!
VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

flsfnoeraekadad
04-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Mayo should go to the Lakers. ;D

john_paul_manahan
04-12-2008, 07:57 PM
nah. the clippers na lang. ;D

King_stag
04-12-2008, 09:01 PM
I agree, the Lakers already has fish and the vastly improved farmar. However they need another guard to mold as a starter after fish departs. I dont see sasha as a PG, he's better playing as a shooting guard.

CM_Punk
04-17-2008, 05:25 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/kevin_armstrong/04/16/commitment.0416/index.html

Top recruit Evans chooses Memphis
Kevin Armstrong- Inside College Basketball

Goodbye, Derrick Rose. Hello, Tyreke Evans.

Evans, an athletic shooting guard at American Christian outside Philadelphia who earned MVP honors at last month's McDonald's All-American game, announced Wednesday that he will sign with Memphis a day after one-and-done star Rose declared for the NBA draft.

"It was hard to decide against staying home at Villanova, but I just think the Memphis program fits what I want to do," said Evans, who chose the Tigers over Villanova and Texas.

Though some suggest that Evans could jump to the NBA after one year, some scouts believe those comparisons to Rose should be tempered.

"He's a tremendous talent," says recruiting analyst Tom Konchalski. "but he still needs to work on not fading on his jump shot and the ballhandling needs to improved."

Last summer, Louisville was thought to be the leader for Evans, but the Cardinals lost interest as the recruiting process dragged through the winter and into spring. Memphis then moved into the lead and was able to hold off Villanova and the attraction to stay home. Evans informed his brothers via phone while he was at school just after noon Wednesday.

"I talked with Derrick when I was done there for a visit," said Evans, "and what he said about the system was what I wanted to hear."

A three-time state player of the year, the 6-foot-5 Evans averaged 29 points per game as a senior and capped it off with a 21-point, 10-rebound performance in the McDonald's game, the top event for high school seniors.

coreytaylor
04-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Tyler Smith to return to Tennessee for junior season

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP)—Tyler Smith is returning to Tennessee for his junior season, hoping to improve his NBA draft prospects for next year.

The 6-foot-7 forward scored 13.5 points a game and led the 31-win Volunteers in rebounds and assists last season. Tennessee coach Bruce Pearl said Smith would have faced tough competition in the draft against 38 other underclassmen.

“I have come to the conclusion that I want to be a Volunteer next year,” Smith said. “Coming back wasn’t really a big problem because, I mean, I am here. I am home. I am with my family and I am really enjoying college life.”

Pearl is excited to have him coming back and says Smith will take on more of a leadership role with the departure of seniors Chris Lofton and JaJuan Smith.

“I told Tyler, ‘Tyler, we are going to be good without you. Don’t do this for us,”’ Pearl said.

But the coach conceded: “Can we be championship-good without Tyler? It would be more difficult.”

Next season’s team will add newly signed McDonald’s All-American Scotty Hopson and redshirt freshman guard Cameron Tatum, back from a knee injury. But with Chris Lofton and JaJuan Smith gone, new leaders will have to be found— both on and off the court.

“Tyler will be our leader now. This is going to be his team,” Pearl said. “He has to buck it up, suck it up and be a pro while he is still in college.”

coreytaylor
04-27-2008, 07:21 PM
UCLA’s Collison decides to return for senior season

LOS ANGELES (AP)—UCLA point guard Darren Collison will return to the Bruins for his senior season.

Collison had been projected as a probable first-round pick in the NBA draft, but chose not to follow teammates Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook and Luc Richard Mbah-a-Moute, who all declared themselves eligible for the draft earlier this month.

“I want to give myself the best possible chance to compete at the highest level,” Collison told reporters in a conference call Saturday. “I have unfinished business here at UCLA, both in terms of my physical development and the completion of my education.”

Collison was a third-team AP All-America selection this season and has gone to three straight Final Fours with the Bruins.

Love, Westbrook and Mbah-a-Moute have not hired agents, and all can still back out of their decision to turn pro.

King_stag
04-27-2008, 08:36 PM
Ohio state recruited Bj mullens, this kid has a NBA-ready body plus fluid post skills. Ohio state recruitred another quality Big after Greg Oden.

BLUE HORSE
04-27-2008, 08:51 PM
Ohio State has done very well with their recruitment. Unfortunately, the big replacement for Oden may likewise depart after his freshman year. Kostas Koufos has declared for the draft but I have yet to hear if he has signed with a manager. Once he signs with a manager, that is it for his amateur career. Best case scenario for Ohio State is for him to know his value and go back to school for another year or two. The team will keep trying to sign 1 or 2 bigs every year just in case one of them depart.

Stanford has signed a whale of an assistant coach to be their new head coach. Johnny Dawkins is leaving coach K andhis beloved Duke for the challenge in Palo Alto. Next year will be his honeymoon season as he was not involved in the teams recruiting and the Lopez twins leave a gaping hole in the front court. Dawkins has turned down various head coaching opportunities in the past but Stanford is something different. Stanford competes in all sports but they recruit a different type of athlete because of the academic rigors of the school. Dawkins is well versed with the academic requirements because Duke's requirements are almost as difficult as Stanford.

john_paul_manahan
05-02-2008, 04:55 PM
that's why dawkins was considered. he has the background that is necessary that would fit the school's requirements.

other updates: tyler's brother (whom we saw on BTV) is transferring to ND.

i also wonder how jrue holiday fits with darren collison?

coreytaylor
05-13-2008, 09:37 AM
Agency representing Mayo denies illegal activity

A former friend of Mayo has alleged that Mayo violated NCAA rules by accepting tens of thousands of dollars in cash and benefits from an L.A. events promoter.

LOS ANGELES (AP)—The head of the sports agency representing O.J. Mayo denied any illegal activity involving the Southern California star on Monday, a day after ESPN reported Bill Duffy Associates gave cash to an event promoter who provided gifts.

“We are in contact with the NCAA and the Pac-10 and are working with both in a cooperative investigation to review these new allegations,” USC said in a statement issued later in the day.

Louis Johnson, a former associate of Mayo’s, told ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” that BDA Sports provided Rodney Guillory with about $200,000 before Mayo arrived at USC. Johnson said a portion of that money was given to Mayo.

“I haven’t seen any evidence of them saying we gave O.J. Mayo a dime, and that has not happened,” Duffy told The Associated Press. “I don’t see any evidence of any other type of transaction. This is what this guy is saying. Obviously his credibility should be in question as well.”

Mayo has declared for the NBA draft and hired BDA Sports’ Calvin Andrews as his agent. ESPN reported Sunday that Mayo received about $30,000 and other benefits while in high school and during his lone season at USC, then entered into a verbal agreement that allowed the agency to represent him when he turned pro.

But Duffy said he only recently met Mayo, and only knew Guillory through the player.

“That’s what’s crazy. I met O.J. Mayo for the first time like three weeks ago. I met him once before that in Vegas, I ran into during USA Basketball for like 30 seconds. He was running to a car, I was coming into a hotel, somebody introduced us, we shook hands and that was it. This is the first time I’ve actually formally met him.”

NCAA rules prohibit giving college athletes money or other gifts. Johnson, who claims he didn’t get paid, also gave ESPN receipts and invoices for many of the purchases.

“From what I can see, those receipts were from his purchases,” Duffy said. “We had nothing to do with that. I don’t even know who this Lou Johnson guy is.”

AP Assistant Sports Editor for the South region Oscar Dixon contributed to this report.

coreytaylor
05-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Confidant says Mayo received illegal benefits

Former USC star O.J. Mayo accepted benefits in violation of NCAA rules from a Los Angeles events promoter while in high school and his one year of college, according to a former friend of the star freshman guard.

Louis Johnson said Sunday on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" that Mayo was given around $30,000 in cash and various gifts over the past four years from Rodney Guillory, a 43-year-old promoter in L.A. Johnson also alleged that Guillory acted as a runner for BDA Sports Management and estimated that BDA provided around $200,000 to Guillory, who gave a portion of the money to Mayo.

In exchange for the payments and gifts, Mayo gave a verbal agreement to let BDA represent him when he turned pro, according to Johnson.

Mayo is the second high-profile USC athlete to be accused of improper benefits in two years. The NCAA is still investigating findings of a Yahoo! Sports report into former Heisman Trophy-winning running back Reggie Bush, who, along with his family, appeared to receive financial gifts of close to $100,000 from marketing agents.

Mayo denied any wrongdoing in a statement to ESPN, saying: "I have been through investigations by the NCAA, the Pac-10 and USC before I attended school and during the time I have been here. … If these claims were true I would suspect they would have been discovered by one of these organizations."

Mateen Cleaves
07-15-2008, 06:16 AM
Finally!

CBS lets veteran hoops analyst Packer go, promotes Kellogg

July 14, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- Billy Packer didn't sound like a man who found out his 34-year run as part of the Final Four broadcast had ended.

On Monday, CBS announced that Clark Kellogg would replace Packer after 27 years as the network's lead college basketball analyst. Including his earlier years at NBC, Packer had done every Final Four since 1975, an unparalleled run for a national sports championship.

"These are really good circumstances," Packer told the Associated Press by phone. "This decision was made with myself and CBS over a year ago. Their timing to announce it is their business. I have nothing to do with that. I was working on a series of 1-year contracts for several years. ... I did say there would be no mention during the season so as not to detract from the games and the guys involved."

Kellogg, a game and studio analyst for CBS for 16 years, will be the man next to Jim Nantz on the 2009 Final Four broadcasts.

...http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10897273/1

Outlander
08-21-2009, 08:14 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/08/20/memphis.ncaa.ap/index.html

NCAA strips Memphis of wins from '08 Final Four season

Posted: Thursday August 20, 2009 1:40AM; Updated: Thursday August 20, 2009 4:25PM
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Memphis has been stripped by the NCAA of every victory in its 38-win season under coach John Calipari that ended in the national title game last year. The reason: an ineligible player believed to be Derrick Rose.

The announcement Thursday came 16 months after the Tigers lost to Kansas in the championship game following the 2007-08 season. School officials were expected to discuss the report later in the day.

It is the second time both Memphis and Calipari had to vacate Final Four seasons. The Tigers were stripped of their 1985 appearance and Calipari's Massachusetts team lost its 1996 berth.

Calipari is now the head coach at Kentucky, where officials have voiced support for him despite the Memphis scandal.

"I'm not worried about it because they have never said Coach Cal did anything wrong at all," said Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear, who appeared with Calipari at the Kentucky State Fair on Thursday before the NCAA announcement. "I think he's a very upstanding guy. I think that's his reputation and I think that reputation will be with him here. I really don't foresee any problems."

Asked about the possibility of a vacated season Calipari said: "I would be disappointed if that's what they chose to do."

Memphis finished 38-2 in 2007-08, setting the NCAA record for wins in a season.

In its report, the NCAA did not identify the ineligible player by name, though earlier descriptions of him lead to the conclusion it could only be Rose. He was taken by the Chicago Bulls as the No. 1 pick in the 2008 draft and went on to win the NBA rookie of the year award.

The player was accused of having another person take his SAT exam so he would be eligible as a freshman. Memphis argued it did not have enough information to substantiate the allegations in November 2007 and cleared him to play.

However, the SAT officials later conducted their own investigation and notified the player, the university and the NCAA's eligibility center that they were canceling his test in May 2008.

The agency said it sent letters to the player in March and April 2008; the second letter was sent three days after Rose and the Tigers lost to the Jayhawks. The player did not respond to either letter.

The infractions committee said it struck hard with its penalties because the ineligible player was used the entire season.

In addition to the lost season, Memphis must also return the money it received from the NCAA tournament to Conference USA and will be prevented from receiving future shares doled out in the conference's revenue-sharing program.

Rose and his agent did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Two weeks ago, he told reporters he had talked with Calipari about the situation. "I know I didn't do anything wrong," he said.

The NCAA said the committee pressed Memphis officials during a hearing on the matter about why steps weren't taken in November 2007 to bench the ineligible player and avoid problems.

The committee also said the player's brother received free transportation on the team's charter plane and hotel lodging that season. Investigators said the total cost would have come to $1,713.85. Such an arrangement is considered an impermissible extra benefit.

"Neither the travel coordinator nor the business director had an explanation as to how the brother was permitted to board without having paid for the two flights," the NCAA report said.

The school's women's golf team also received three years probation and lost a scholarship for violations in its program.

bchoter
08-25-2009, 12:59 AM
US NCAA din kaya lang hindi basketball. Fil-Am Tim Tebow's Gators are ranked #1 this coming season and Tebow is also among the favorites to with the Heissman. That should make him the most decorated college player.

bchoter
08-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Sorry for the Quinito moment. Tebow was born in the Philippines but his parents are Americans. His dad was a missionary

john_paul_manahan
08-26-2009, 01:54 AM
He faces stiff competition from the current winner Sam Bradford of Oklahoma and Colt McCoy of Texas