PDA

View Full Version : SC denies Limís claim to RP citizenship

amdgc82
01-19-2008, 06:10 AM
http://www.tribune.net.ph/sports/20080119spo2.html

SC denies Limís claim to RP citizenship with finality
01/19/2008

The Supreme Court (SC) has denied with finality Graham Limís appeal for a review of his case in his effort to claim Filipino citizenship, based on a document obtained by the media recently.

The Third Division of the SC quashed Limís motion for reconsideration on Nov. 14 last year, denying Limís petition for review on certiorary which sought to overturn a lower court ruling finding the Basketball Association of the Philippines (BAP) secretary generalís claim to Filipino citizenship as bogus.

The decision was attested by Wilfredo Lapitan, Assistant Clerk of Court, in behalf of Lucita Abjelina-Soriano, Clerk of Court.

Lim had tried to seek intervention from the SC following a long, dragging case that emanated from his alleged use of fake documents to substantiate his claim to Filipino citizenship.

Limís former deputy in the BAP, Emmanuel Perez de Tagle and former International referee Liberato Valenzuela, however, squealed on him and led the filing of charges in the court, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) and in the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).

The DFA had ruled Lim as an illegal alien, eventually withdrawing his Philippine passport. Lim, however, continued to travel in and out of the Philippines despite being officially declared as a Taiwanese citizen.

The BI also declared Lim an illegal alien in 2006 but former BI Commissioner Alipio Fernandez, who is perceived as a personal friend of Lim, allegedly sat on his case despite repeated orders from the Department of Justice (DoJ) to enforce an earlier order for Limís deportation.

Limís papers allegedly got lost in the BI, prompting DoJ secertary to seek immediate action on Limís case. Nothing happened.

ďWhen I last inquired about Graham Limís papers, I was informed that they cannot be located,Ē Justice Secretary Raul Gonzales said in his memorandum to Fernandez. ďAfter his passport was canceled, he was given a travel document by the Department of Foreign Affairs, but I have just inquired from the DFA regarding the circumstances of whether an alien is entitled to documents after his passport was canceled.

ďIf there was a conclusive finding by the BI that Graham Lim is a non-Filipino, I want this to be imposed and deportation proceedings to commence immediately against the subject.Ē

Lim, however, remained in the country and travelled overseas many times until Fernandez left the BI to seek a local elective position.

amdgc82
01-19-2008, 06:21 AM
Graham Lim an alien, Supreme Court rules
By Romina Austria
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 21:08:00 01/18/2008

IT'S FINAL and irreversible: controversial Basketball Association of the Philippines (BAP) secretary general Graham Lim is not a Filipino citizen.

The Supreme Court's Third Division has denied with finality Lim's effort to establish Filipino citizenship, thus quashing a motion for reconsideration he filed in November last year.

The decision was certified by Wilfredo Lapitan, assistant clerk of court, in behalf of Lucita Abjelina-Soriano, clerk of court.

Lim could not be reached for comment as of this writing.

His citizenship bid was both circuitous and controversial. He had sought to overturn a lower court ruling that had found his claim to Filipino citizenship baseless.

Lim, however, encountered bigger problems when former officemates at the BAP alleged he had submitted fake documents to substantiate his claim to Filipino citizenship.

His former deputy in the BAP, Emmanuel Perez de Tagle and international referee Liberato Valenzuela, produced papers substantiating their allegations that Lim was a fake Filipino.

As a result, charges were subsequently filed in court, the Bureau of Immigration (BI) and the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).

The DFA ruled Lim an illegal alien and eventually withdrew his Philippine passport.

The BI, under former commissioner Alipio Fernandez, likewise officially declared Lim as a Taiwanese citizen. Immigration agents arrested and detained him on March 24, 2006.

Despite the rulings, Lim went on to travel in and out of the country as deportation proceedings were never carried out.

typhoidterry
01-20-2008, 10:54 AM
The question regarding the matter is, will Graham Lim, the man who was responsible for bringing back Philippine Basketball to the stone age will finally be kicked out of the country.

This man should be deported immediately. Deportation is even too light a punishment for what he did to the sport that this country loves. This illegal alien has the guts to fight for the most prominent position in the BAP-SBP despite all the sins he has committed. The guy should be shot.

A few years before the Philippines was suspended by the FIBA, Graham Lim sent a team to compete in the Boris Stankovic Cup. The coach of the team was a certain Lim lapdog named Johnny Tam. Their incompetence was exposed by Quinito Henson who found out that the person coaching the team in the Stankovic Cup was the driver of Johnny Tam or Graham Lim.

Like I said, the guy should be shot!

Joescoundrel
01-21-2008, 05:03 PM
^^^ Butch Pichay should get a clue and seek therapy since he's also now bandying about as the BAP Honcho, whatever the heck that means.

thadzonline
01-22-2008, 02:00 PM
paalisin na yan...

Kid Cubao
01-22-2008, 02:20 PM
malamang di na ma-dedeport si graham lim even after he was determined to be a chinese national, after the bureau of immigration announced they will be issuing permanent resident visas or PRVs to chinese citizens in support of government's plan to attract new foreign investments. yes, he will be stripped of his government appointments and sinecures, but we need his money and that's why he's staying put ;D

amdgc82
07-20-2009, 07:41 AM
http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2009/july/20/yehey/sports/20090720spo1.html

Monday, July 20, 2009
BAPís Lim unfazed by deportation threat
By Josef T. Ramos, Reporter

Graham Lim, secretary-general of the Basketball Association of the Philippines (BAP), remained unperturbed by the latest deportation threat of the Department of Justice (DOJ) against him.

Saying the issue was purely an inside job that began 10 years ago, Lim told the Manila Times on Sunday that there was nothing new about that DOJ decision since he has yet to receive any formal notification or summon.

In a one-page memorandum dated July 9, Acting Justice Secretary Agnes Devanadera directed Commissioner Marcelino Libanan of the Bureau of Immigration (BI) to implement the Supreme Court ruling, which affirmed the findings of the Court of Appeals, the Office of the President and the BI.

ďI cannot react again on it since I have not received anything official yet,Ē said Lim, noting the issue came out just in time for the FIBA meeting slated on July 21 to 23 in Geneva, Switzerland.

ďHere we go again. Every time the basketball issue goes out, the deportation issue also comes out,Ē said Lim. ďI was deported 10 years ago, but Iím still here so Iím not bothered anymore.Ē

The High Court already ruled with finality last January 4, 2008 that Lim is not a Filipino citizen, but a Chinese national. The memorandum issued by Devanadera, however, claimed Lim was a Taiwanese.

ďIn view of the foregoing findings, the BoC [Board of Commissioners] of this Bureau finds the respondent Graham Chua Lim, Taiwanese, in violation of C.A. [Commonwealth Act] No. 613,Ē the memorandum stated.

BAP senior referee Liberato Valenzuela, who had filed a complaint against Lim 10 years ago, requested Devanadera to issue the memorandum. But Lim said he has all the documents to prove his Filipino lineage.

ďIím a true Filipino and this issue is only being used by influential people around to destroy my personality and credibility because of the new issue in basketball,Ē he said.-- With Jomar Canlas

korn666333
07-20-2009, 09:05 AM
buti sa kanya yan! boooo! lim go home!

D_I_A
07-20-2009, 11:35 AM
sana kasama na nyang ideport lahat ng kasama nya sa BAP!!!

villafuerte, pichay, abundo, tan, gtk, alentajan and the chinese triad!

Down with the BAP!!!

Deport Graham Lim Now!!!

Sulong Basketball ng Pilipinas!!!

Ghostrider
07-20-2009, 01:21 PM
There's no way Graham can be deported from the Philippines:

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=488363&publicationSubCategoryId=65

Bureau of Immigration earns P3.3 million from special visa scheme

MANILA, Philippines - The Bureau of Immigrationís special visa scheme for foreign employers generated P3.34 million in net income since it was launched last April, the BI reported yesterday.

Cris Villalobos, head of the BIís Special Visa for Employment Generation (SVEG), said a total of 260 foreigners were issued the indefinite stay visa as of July 10.

Villalobos said the SVEG recipients employ a combined total of 23,329 full-time Filipino workers in various enterprises where they have invested or acquired shares or interest.

Villalobos said Koreans accounted for the bulk of the applicants with 78, followed by 33 Chinese, and 13 Taiwanese.

Also on the list are six Americans, five Britons, four Japanese, three Malaysians, three Singaporeans, three Australians, three Germans, two Swedes, two New Zealanders, two Indians, two Iranians, two from Hong Kong, an El Salvadoran, an Albanian, a Syrian, a Canadian, a Thai, a Danish national, a Pakistani, and an Austrian.

BI Commissioner Marcelino Libanan said the SVEG is steadily drawing the interest of foreign investors as it gives them the privilege of staying in the Philippines indefinitely, provided they employ at least 10 regular and full-time Filipinos.

amdgc82
07-21-2009, 07:07 AM
http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2009/july/21/yehey/sports/20090721spo2.html

Tuesday, July 21, 2009
Justice department orders Lim deported

ITíS game over for former Basketball Association of the Philippines (BAP) Secretary-General Graham Chua Lim who was ordered deported by the Department of Justice for misrepresenting himself as a Filipino.

The end of the road for Lim came after the Supreme Court denied with finality his petition for certiorari in a last ditch effort to stay his deportation.

The High Court decision affirmed the findings of the Bureau of Immigration that Lim violated the countryís immigration law by misrepresenting himself as a Filipino and using a Philippine passport which he acquired through fraud, which MalacaŮang and the Court of Appeals also affirmed.

Acting Justice Secretary Agnes Devanadera , in a one-page memorandum dated July 9, directed the immigration bureau to implement the High Court decision.

ď . . . in view of the decision of the Supreme Court denying the petition for certiorari of petitioner Graham Chua Lim, which became final on January 4, 2008, you are hereby directed to implement, unless there is a legal impediment to do so,Ē the memorandum said.

The Justice department also directed the Immigration bureau to submit a report of the latterís action within five days from receipt of the memorandum.

Lim earlier said his deportation was unjust and unfair, maintaining that he was a Filipino, adding that he was just a victim of circumstances.

Lim admitted his travails started with politics in sports and ended with the feud between the justice secretary and his lawyer, Bonifacio Alentaja, putting him in an uncompromising situation. He refused to elaborate.

ďThe problem now is where are they going to deport me. Iím a Filipino, I was born and raised here. I have no other country but the Philippines,Ē Lim told The Manila Times in an earlier interview.

Lim explained that the cancellation of his passport and its replacement with a travel document by the Department of Foreign Affairs was illegal, as only the court has the power to invalidate oneís passport, citing as an example the case of former Poll Commissioner Virgilio Garcillano.

ďThere was no fraud when I got my passport. Even the US Embassy has issued me a visa,Ē Lim added.

Immigration special prosecutor Arvin Santos, who handled Limís case, however, said Lim continued to acknowledge his Chinese citizenship by twice applying for naturalization with the Manila Regional Trial Court and Office of the Solicitor General.-- William B. Depasupil

D_I_A
07-21-2009, 12:58 PM

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

ITíS game over for former Basketball Association of the Philippines (BAP) Secretary-General Graham Chua Lim who was ordered deported by the Department of Justice for misrepresenting himself as a Filipino.

The end of the road for Lim came after the Supreme Court denied with finality his petition for certiorari in a last ditch effort to stay his deportation.

The High Court decision affirmed the findings of the Bureau of Immigration that Lim violated the countryís immigration law by misrepresenting himself as a Filipino and using a Philippine passport which he acquired through fraud, which MalacaŮang and the Court of Appeals also affirmed.

Acting Justice Secretary Agnes Devanadera , in a one-page memorandum dated July 9, directed the immigration bureau to implement the High Court decision.

ď . . . in view of the decision of the Supreme Court denying the petition for certiorari of petitioner Graham Chua Lim, which became final on January 4, 2008, you are hereby directed to implement, unless there is a legal impediment to do so,Ē the memorandum said.

The Justice department also directed the Immigration bureau to submit a report of the latterís action within five days from receipt of the memorandum.

Lim earlier said his deportation was unjust and unfair, maintaining that he was a Filipino, adding that he was just a victim of circumstances.

Lim admitted his travails started with politics in sports and ended with the feud between the justice secretary and his lawyer, Bonifacio Alentaja, putting him in an uncompromising situation. He refused to elaborate.

ďThe problem now is where are they going to deport me. Iím a Filipino, I was born and raised here. I have no other country but the Philippines,Ē Lim told The Manila Times in an earlier interview.

Lim explained that the cancellation of his passport and its replacement with a travel document by the Department of Foreign Affairs was illegal, as only the court has the power to invalidate oneís passport, citing as an example the case of former Poll Commissioner Virgilio Garcillano.

ďThere was no fraud when I got my passport. Even the US Embassy has issued me a visa,Ē Lim added.

Immigration special prosecutor Arvin Santos, who handled Limís case, however, said Lim continued to acknowledge his Chinese citizenship by twice applying for naturalization with the Manila Regional Trial Court and Office of the Solicitor General.-- William B. Depasupil

pa deport ka sa malaysia sa kapwa mo sindikato na si dato yeoh chok or sa hongkong tutal nandun ang hongkong triad leader na si carl mengky-ching!

DEPORT GRAHAM LIM NOW!!!

snakerattle79
07-23-2009, 12:42 AM
sana kasama na nyang ideport lahat ng kasama nya sa BAP!!!

villafuerte, pichay, abundo, tan, gtk, alentajan and the chinese triad!

Down with the BAP!!!

Deport Graham Lim Now!!!

Sulong Basketball ng Pilipinas!!!

Agreed

BigBlue
07-23-2009, 02:22 AM

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

alam ko na san pupunta si Lim... sa GENEVA!! :D

mangtsito
07-23-2009, 05:50 AM
malamang di na ma-dedeport si graham lim even after he was determined to be a chinese national, after the bureau of immigration announced they will be issuing permanent resident visas or PRVs to chinese citizens in support of government's plan to attract new foreign investments. yes, he will be stripped of his government appointments and sinecures, but we need his money and that's why he's staying put ;D

Even with the preferential granting of the PRV to non-Filipinos who bring in investments, I think he could still be blocked upon re-entry into the Philippines on the basis of the finding of fraud in his claims to citizenship.

It really just depends on how big his friends are. And I think they're big enough to allow him to stay here indefinitely.